• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

Kerley Should Be Good to Go vs. Carolina

Posted by Randy Lange on August 24, 2012 – 3:52 pm

The Jets’ offense could get that little extra boost it’s been searching for the previous two preseason games with Rex Ryan’s announcement this afternoon that both WRs Santonio Holmes (rib) and Jeremy Kerley (hamstring) are probable to get in their first reps of the summer games on Sunday night against Carolina.

“Unless there’s a setback, I think both those guys are playing,” Ryan said at today’s news conference following the final open practice of training camp at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

Minutes earlier, Kerley said in the Jets’ locker room that he hoped to learn he would be green-lighted for the Panthers.

“I think it’s very important,” he said. “I’ve got to get my timing back, get my feet underneath me. I’m hoping to get a couple of reps in, 15 or so.

“I hope it’ll be a big spark,” he added of what Nos. 11 and 10 could provide to the only NFL offense yet to score a touchdown in a preseason game. “It’ll put some new legs out there and give Mark [Sanchez] some more targets.”

Some other seemingly, hopefully, minor injury issues crept up during Friday’s midday practice.

S Yeremiah Bell “had a little knee thing, nothing serious, but if there’s any issue at all, we won’t play him,” Ryan said.

Same with DT Mike DeVito, who had “a calf injury today. That’s not a good thing for a D-lineman. If there’s anything to that, he won’t play.”

Also out of this national-TV game are DT Sione Po‘uha, CB Ellis Lankster and S Eric Smith. Dinged up but probable for action are KR-RB Joe McKnight, WR Patrick Turner, TE Jeff Cumberland and LB-FB Nick Bellore.

Returning to Returns

Both Ryan and Kerley agreed that it would be nice to get JK some punt returns. He is, after all, listed as No. 1 on the PR chart, the incumbent returner, yet his hammy has kept him sidelined since the first week of camp while rookies Jordan White and Royce Pollard and third-year CB Kyle Wilson have done all the punt-returning in the first two games.

“Definitely, definitely,” Kerley said of that idea. “That’s not something you can just roll out and do. Hopefully I get a rep there.”

“Yeah, we’d like to see that,” Ryan said. “But again, we’re going to make sure he’s ready to go opening day. The same thing with Holmes. Is that 10 plays, 12 plays? We just want to be real cautious here. We need these guys.”

We may be jumping the gun a little on this because even with a punt return or two vs. the Panthers, it wouldn’t help Kerley to bust a move for a punt-return TD at the expense of re-busting his hamstring. But the second-year man is aware of the Jets’ dearth (no relation to James) of scores off of punt returns. They’ve had none in the preseason since 2008 and none in the postseason since 2004 and none in the regular season since ’02. Here is the short list of players who’ve had punt-return TDs for the Jets in the new millennium:

Date Type Returner Opponent Yards
10.27.02 RS Santana Moss vs. CLE 63
11.03.02 RS Santana Moss @ SD 52
8.21.04 PS Ian Smart @ IND 59
1.15.05 PO Santana Moss @ PIT 75
8.07.08 PS Dwight Lowery @ CLE 62

Rex Cetera

Ryan huddled the whole team for a relatively long time before the end of this relatively short practice. There were no brawls today but the message was “team” again, similar to the one he had for his players up in Cortland after their second day of infighting.

“I thought it got a little chippy there during practice,” he said. “We don’t need that. I love the competition. I want guys going full-speed, competing against each other to the whistle. But things after the whistle, hitting a player when he’s in a vulnerable position, shoving a guy after the whistle, grabbing hold of the ballcarrier, we don’t need to do that. We don’t need to do things after plays, especially with our own guys. I just wanted to make sure I reminded them of that and that we’re a team.”

Rex’s recommendation to Austin Howard on handling the glare of publicity as the new RT starter: “You’ve just got to do your job. I think that’s where the focus needs to be, and that’s it. Whether we’re looking at right tackle or left guard, whoever it is, obviously there’s more media covering us than with other teams. He’s just got to focus on doing his job, executing his assignments, and when in doubt, listen to Brandon.” That’s Brandon Moore, next door at RG, of course.

Attendance at today’s final open practice of Jets training camp was 2,772. Attendance for past two days at Atlantic Health Jets Training Center: 5,157. Attendance for all Jets open offseason and preseason practices, at SUNY Cortland, MetLife Stadium and AHJTC: 46,157. Thanks to all who came out to cheer on the Jets.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

135 Responses to “Kerley Should Be Good to Go vs. Carolina”

1. By Tom Spicer on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Good we need Holmes & Kerley back BIG TIME!

2. By scjoe on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

The only spark I am hoping for is from this O line, specifically from the RT spot. That would go a long, long way toward settling my stomach. We may be putting a little to much emphasis on QB/WR continuity, after all, Tom Brady seems to have no problem sitting out most of the pre season then coming out of the gate with continuity and with guns blazing every opening day. And it really hasn’t mattered much who his receivers were or how long they have been there.

3. By Paul N. on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I’m sorry, I know injuries are apart of the game, and preseason lends itself to them, but something has to be wrong with the conditioning program the Jets are using! Everyday there is a new player down and I’m sorry Rex these aren’t all minor. I expect to see more when the real hitting begins. Bell better be a minor injury, Smith is out and lets face it Landry has yet to prove he can go two days in a row in practice!

4. By scjoe on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

After listening to the Austin Howard interview I came away very impressed with this young man. He appears to be a very well educated, articulate and focused young man. Of course that in itself is not going to put him in to the HOF anytime soon, but it an encouraging sign. I will be pulling for him.

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I was just saying to Arte on the phone that it’s getting to the pt at which Holmes and Kerley are going to have to play hurt in these last few exhib games or at least in one of them. Our offense starts slow during the season, and during the first half of every game of the season, as it is, so it’s pretty unrealistic to think we’re gonna beat SF, PIT, HOU, and NE in those first 5 or 6 games without an O that’s firing on all cylinders and then some.

6. By SCfromNY on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Looking forward to a better game Sunday. I hope it’s time for Sanchez to step up. I know, I know it’s the rest of the teams fault. That’s good news because we have a better line and defense than NE so we should do better. Maybe not. A team does not have to quit on a poor QB. A loss of motivation at this level means lost games. Elite QBs raise the play of their teams. Poor QBs make the team worse. Almost time to determine for sure what we have. It’s the 4th year and Sanchez needs o do more than talk. I forgot who mentioned a trade with the Giants for OL. The Giants would love to have the Jets line. Thiers is worse. They just have a QB that makes them winners.

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, scjoe, and Joe Willie did pretty good while missing a lot of pre-season, too, and we’re about as close to having him at QB as we are to having Brady. Plus you’re forgetting how our Zero-Threat O’s of the last few pre-seasons carried over into the regular season. Good pt, Paul N, me and Arte were talking on the phone today about how curious it is that on the same field with the same weather conditions, the Giants don’t seem to rack up nearly as many nagging injuries as the Jets.

8. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I can see putting Kerley in for some reps , not Holmes he’s to valuable. we’re to thin at the skill positions, I believe he has enough experience and knowledge of our offense to sit out preseason .Jet Fan Tom , 4 teams you mention, I can’t imagine this line going against PIT HOU SAN FAN, and NE . not to mention Buffalo new and improved Defense, Sanchez having time enough to complete passes or as Jimmer would say dinkin and dunkin, no less down field… I sure hope he can without getting killed.

9. By Jet Blue on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

All of the analysts said that this is the year that Sanchez needs to show significant improvement – pre-season last year. Though there was some improvement, there were too many bad habits still abound. When you go to the games, you can see as plays develop that Sanchez is not looking where he should be, or looking too long. There are receivers open but by the time he sees them, the safety does too. Don’t they practice timing patterns on this team? I’ve seen clips of Brady throwing the same pass for an hour with the same receiver – over and over again. I see no evidence of Sanchez doing that with any receiver, and it shows on the field. Every decision he makes seems to be a panic decision. That’s what needs to improve.

10. By SCfromNY on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

Watched the Giant game last night and had a thought. Perhaps our QBs seeing only themselves have no idea what a good QB can do. Eli managed to accurately throw the ball QUICKLY down the fiels for more than 3 yards. Given time he led the targets fo there was some YAC. Under pressure he did not throw to the other team and again managed an accurate pass for more than 3 yards. The Giant line is nothing to get excited about in fact on paper ours is better. As a BTW the Giant running back did not fall down when hit for the first time he was able to break tackles and move the chains. Chicago is suppossed to be a quality team.

11. By steven on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

Way to go Howard. Wish you the Best.
    I hope to see Hayden Smith out there because I believe in him. He is going to be a star

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

No doubt about it, MJV, if we can’t take at least 2 out of the 5 early games vs. SF, PIT, HOU, NE, and BUF, it’s going to be a long yr. But if we lose 4 out of those 5, it might be the last yr we have Rex and Sanchez to kick around. Thanks for your post today, Jet Blue, what I don’t get about some of the Sanchez defenders is that they seem to have even less sense of how a pro offense is supposed to operate than Rex does. I’ve noticed all of the things you mention even on TV and every once in awhile the TV directors like to show how bad MS is at seeing open men downfield. It’s really a disgrace and makes one wonder if this can be the same team that ever featured QBs like Namath, O’Brien, Vinny, Chad, and even Todd and Matt Robinson.

13. By walt on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

A while back I mentioned that you may want to keep an eye on Nate Eachus the rookie running back from Colgate who the Chiefs signed and a player I wished we had signed.Well the other night he rushed for 98 yards on ten carrys and scored a touchdown against the seahawks.How often does a running back in the NFL average almost ten yards a carry in a game even if it is a preseason game.It is more than probable that the Chiefs will release him and I hope that the Jets would at least sign him to their practice squad.He is Quiker than Greene and I believe a better receiver and blocker.

14. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY.let me add to your theory on Eli, I can as I’m sure most here with football knowledge has noticed as I have ,, Eli is only one of many Veteran QBs sharp and ready to go, add in to name a few,Rookies like Luck, Wilson,Freeman, Dalton,, K2 with Redskins or whatever he calls himself all are on the improve, I’m sorry to say from what I’ve seen thus-far Sanchez has regressed, As Jet Blue has pointed out, this year is the year Sanchez needs to step up or be gone

15. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

Off topic, maybe for some not me . my theory on these so called nagging little injury’s pulls, calf, strains, Hammy’s shoulder’s, I know teams go thought this, Bot I’m willing to bet if some of these million dollar babies. came in for some conditioning, stretching, work outs, work more on their off time,. having so much, Now if my memory serves, Players like Jerry Rice, Payton Manning, Walter Payton, Curtis Martin, hardly ever had injury’s .. Just saying

16. By Tom Spicer on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY, What are you smoking & can you share it with us? The Jets have a better O line than the Pats! Are you serious REALLY! You as well as some other guys on this site are beyond out of control at this point. You act like Brady has a magic force field around him & he does it all himself. GET A CLUE! Brady has a great O line around him EVERY YEAR! If you actually watch a Pats game Brady drops back stands there pats the ball no 1 gets near him & he waits until someone gets open & hits him. In 12 years Brady was never sacked more than Mark was sacked last year. In 8 years Eli was never sacked more than Mark was sacked last year. Mark was sacked 39 times last year, the 5th most sacked QB in all of the NFL. Go online read either Thursdays

17. By Tom Spicer on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

or Fridays post there is a article that says Wayne Hunter gave up more QB hits than any tackle in the entire NFL. Translastion Mark got blasted last year he was one of the most sacked & hit QBS there were. For you to say the Jets have a better O line than the Pats is hysterical. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that!

18. By TONY GARCIA on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

jet fan since 1969.could be a long season have’nt seen anything scary from our division rivals this preseason.everyone has issues.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

It’s happened, if a little earlier than I thought it would — Tebow’s inability to throw merits satirizing in The Onion: http://www.theonion.com/articles/ground-emerges-as-tim-tebows-favorite-target

20. By IRA on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

Randy, Great PR chart. Funny i just saw Moss catch a TD pass vs the Colts. Always was a Coles fan and was glad to get him back in 05 but looking back now i think if they kept Moss they would’ve been better off. Thats Lowery PR was the game they stopped for about an hour or so because of a lightning storm and the day they got Favre.
    Kerley i believe finished 9th overall in PR’s last year. It will be good to have him back there plus i think having him in the slot along with Holmes coming back will open things up for Sanchez.

21. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, has it ever occurred to you at least half the sacks against mark have less to do with O-line then his inability to move or escape them, your man crush is very touching ,but painful to witness sorry.. I do agree Pats have the better line, FYI Brady has 10 times the pocket skills of Sanchez and that’s just one more factor why Brady doesn’t get sacked near as much..

22. By danny on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

If ppl noticed the Pats O line is struggling too this preseason and Tom Brady has been getting hit and fumbling. The pats first unit is not lighting the scoreboard up. It goes to show even the great Tom Brady can’t play well with a weak O line. You gotta have a decent O line in the NFL plain and simple or ur doomed. MS has not had that the last 2 yrs. I hear MJV say how sharp Eli looks this preseason but yet he threw his first and only TD of preseason last night as he has a few picks too. We shut Eli down. I don’t know what ppl watch before they make comments on here.

23. By GaryC on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Jetfantom,I am sure Curtis Martin likes the way you are spending his dollars,have you actually talked to him about owning the team,I know you living in LALA land you see what Magic Johnson has done with the Dodgers with buying up all the talent in baseball but it doesn’t work that way in football,there are restrictions and great players in the game don’t necessarily mean they will be great businessmen within the game.does he know someone to take Tannys place and get us the players needed to succeed.Matt Millen proved it as gm of the lions just because you play the game that you know anything about other players abilities.A owner in football is a lot different then an owner in baseball.

24. By GaryC on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

first play of the game yesterday,Robert Griffin heaves a long one down the field to Garcon,when was the last time the jets opened up the game with a pass down the field.

25. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Danny, So what your saying Eli isn’t as good as Sanchez and the And the NY Jets because That’s what I did watch . Now now my Question, what are you watching ? OK did you watch Luck ,and Griffen, last night what’s your opinion on them ?

26. By scjoe on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

From a previous post. Fair enough Danny, we are beginning to see eye to eye. But here’s where we still have a difference of opinion. You see MS having 4 playoff wins while I see “the team” having 4 playoff wins. I just don’t feel MS carried them through either of those two seasons OR carried them once in the playoff’s. I don’t think he is capable of carrying a team. I wont go as far as saying that they got there “in spite” of MS, but I think you get my point. As for Faneca? I know he was a road grader “in his prime” but I still say there wasn’t a significant drop off with Slauson. That is not an endorsement for Slauson, just a comparison.

27. By scjoe on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Lets put “preseason” into perspective re: Brady, Eli, and O lines, because it is just that PRESEASON! Many players because of minor bumps and bruises do not even participate. Plays that are worked on for the base offense are not shown (wildcat?) Lets see what happens when the bell rings. Lets see if the NE offense is effected by the preseason numbers while we are awaiting to see if this Jets offense is effected by theirs.If I were a betting man, I would bet NEs would be less effected.

28. By SCfromNY on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Spicer: I appologize if you had difficulty understanding my post about NE’s OL. Danny did. So for your personnal edification here it goes. I did NOT reference years gone by just this preseason. NE’s OL is interrible condition and Brady, for Brady is doing poorly. The point trying to be made had to do with OLs. The Jets have THREE PRO BOWLERS. The Pats a mismash of players trying to play together. Even with Hunter THIS PRESEASON the Jet OL should be better and it’s not. It really wasn’t an indictment of Sanchez, perhaps you are too emotional about him. I did however post some comments about the Giant game Friday where I’m afraid Sanchez was not praised. Feel free to complain about that post.

29. By ELI RODRIGUEZ on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

RANDY: I DON’T KNOW HOW MUCH YOU SPEAK WITH MANAGEMENT OR THE COACHES BUT IF YOU DO, PLEASE TELL THEM KNOW THERE’S A RB ON THE ARIZONA CARDINALS NAME WILLIAM POWELL– GOT GREAT SPEED- RETURN PUNTS AND CATCH OUT OF THE BACKFIELD……… HE WILL MOST LIKELY GET CUT BUT ON OUR TEAM, HE’S DEFINITELY #2 EVEN A #1.

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I often say it would need to be Curtis Martin and a bunch of financial guys, not to mention investors. But anyone who doubts that Martin represents more of the spirit the Jets need than Woody, Mr T, and Rex do needs his head examined. And by the way, why are you jealous of Griffin throwing long to Garcon? According to you, Sanchez can do it all, even though he throws with shocking inaccuracy at many times both short, long, and everything in between.

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Lupica hasn’t been a great sportswriter, especially on football, for decades, but he nails the state of the Jets today: “Don’t know how good they will be this season, don’t know whether Mark Sanchez will go forward or not, don’t know how much Tim Tebow will help, don’t know if the Jets can win with an offense that seems built off a model established by the 1963 Bears, don’t know who they have on offense that is supposed to scare the other team.”

32. By MIKE on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Haven’t blogged for a while. This season feels alot like he 2007 season. Mangini got off to a real nice start at the beginning of his Jets coaching. Than reality set in. Just think there are so many holes on this team. QB, RB, WR, RT, OLB. It will definitely be an interesting year. I would have to say that 3rd in AFC East is where this team belongs. I think the Bills have finally passed the Jets and hopefully the Dolphins don’t get it together too quick.

33. By danny on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

MJV I was talking just about Eli no one else so no need to ask about any other QB’s. I watched all 3 preseason games Eli has played and he threw his first TD Friday night. He has thrown a few picks and has not been lighting the scoreboard up as u say. He should be fine this season but for 8 out of his 10yrs in the league he has been erratic. I’m a realist MVJ and as far as Sanchez until our o line plays well he can not play well and that is fact. Any one who knows the game of football knows it all starts up front. No he will never be Montana but he can be a solid NFL QB with a decent O line which he hasn’t has since 2010 when he won playoff games

34. By scjoe on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Just got through watching debacle lll It looks as if they will go 0 for the pre season scoring TDs because next game will be 2s and 3s vs 2s and 3s, and it is more then obvious that EVERY team we faced so far has a much, much, much, better group of 2s and 3s. I was really impressed with Howard. He may just be the answer. Also impressed once again with Ellis, Coples, and Landry. Not so much with Hill. It seems he not only has a problem catching the ball, but also staying on his feet during or after a catch. I think once again we witnessed the inaccuracy in Sanchez. I know I will get rebutted on that, but I played back 3 or 4 passes in slow mo, and they were anything but accurate. Tebow? Fahgetaboudit!

35. By scjoe on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

We can only hope that McElroy comes through with such an impressive showing next week vs Philly that they will finally come to their collective senses and promote him to b/u QB. OR, go out and sign a veteran QB. ANYBODY!! Imagine going through an extensive period with Tim Tebow as the starting QB. Before pre season I gave him the benefit of the doubt because I heard from so many different sources how much he had improved his mechanics and his technique. NOT!! He will be no more then part of a gimmick package this season, and quite honestly, I don’t know how long that will last.

36. By Karan on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

I know they didn’t score any touchdowns, but I’ll be honest, I saw a lot of postives tonight. First of all, I would like to give Austin Howard a ton of credit for his performance tonight. He did a great job all night, I don’t want to speak too early, but it looks like we found our RT. I hope this doesn’t mean Tannanbaum will stop looking for some tackle and guard depth at the O-line. Howard should be our starter but it doesn’t hurt to have a little insurance policy, just good depth. Hunter should be fine in the jumbo/back-up set. Secondly, he still needs to make better reads and decisions but I like what I saw from Mark Sanchez tonight. I’m happy Sparano is a guy who isn’t afraid to let his QB throw it deep down the field. Mark did miss….

37. By Karan on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

……Santonio on that deep post but he made an excellent 32-yard pass to Stephen Hill with an adjustment. That pass to Keller was nice too. Really hope Kellers injury is not serious, definetly my favorite weapon on the offense. The fact that Jets threw it down the field more today is the reason I prefer Sparanos system over our former OC’s system. We had more of a rhythum and it felt more like a normal NFL offense. However, there still is no excuse for producing TDs. I mean when Coples stripped Newton in the redzone, the Jets should have gotten six, I’ll even admit that was a poor read by Mark. I am still concerned though over the expierence of our young WRs. Hill needs to hang on to the ball, i know he a rookie, but you must hang…..

38. By Karan on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

…….on. Hill makes that catch, its a first down, but it turned into an interception. That was NOT Marks fault for people prepping to bash him. Tebows spark was great, his running ability is what makes him so special. My true concern right now is the lack of expierence on the WR core, they’re not consistent enough with exception of Patrick Turner. By the way, Turner and Slauson should be smarter than what they did during that scramble. Costing the team major penalty yardage. That looked like a promising TD drive. Currently, we have a Tight End depth problem. Hope Baker is ok, that injury looked brutal. I might get some backlash for this, but I would not mind signing T.O. as we clearly need some another veteran presence at the WR…..

39. By Karan on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

……position. So this game had both positives and negatives. Offense played a lot better than last week besides the fact that we still did not score any touchdowns. I love the fact that the offense is being allowed to take shots down the field and throw longer passes. I’m concerned about the WR position and TE depth. Besides what we saw from Howard, it would still be great to have some veteran depth, not a replacement, simply some good depth. Major props to LaRon Landry, Quinton Coples and Austin Howard.

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

There’s something fundamentally wrong with this team even beyond the lack of quality personnel and lack of coaching smarts. The number of nagging injuries, the surprisingly stupid mistakes and mental errors, the listless execution, and the overall lack of chemistry in all phases of the game are somewhat shocking, even for the Jets. Some of that can be chalked up to Sparano’s new system and the injuries but not all of it can possibly be about that. Watching these Jets, you get the feeling they may not score a TD during the first few games of the regular season, either. More than ever I’m convinced that this yr is just a testing ground on who to keep, who to cut, and which direction to go in next.

41. By Charliejet on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Karan well put. Austin Howard looked huge (physically) compared to the other lineman – if you can believe that. Still need depth at the line. Wayne Hunter was still
    being thrown all over the place when playing on the left side, Collingsworth made a comment about that as well. Call me crazy but I came away a little more positive after this game – still frustrated with NO T.D. yet. Sanchez looked more confident but he’s gotta be frustrated. That long one to Holmes just missed – I think it was a timing thing with Holmes being out of it for awhile. Noticed too that Sanchez now leading with his passes and not throwing behind his receivers. Landry looked real good – always liked that player. Jets definitely upgraded their safeties.

42. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Well there’s good news and there’s bad news. ..good news O/line played much better,Defense looked good, this Kid Powell looks to have some potential,. I like Landry he’s a gamer, Bad news, I know the usual suspects are just gushing over Sanchez Throwing and competing 2 passes down field, what happened for the next 49 minutes ? What they won’t admit he had time in the pocket and still missed reads receivers and his footwork is still horrible. on Tebow his ability to allude the rush is nice, but he’ll never be a pure pocket passer, Kyle Wilson reminds yet one of Mike -T worse high round draft choices

43. By IRA on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Biggest plus last night was Sanchez stayed on his feet and Howard played well. Still need to see more but he got off to a good start. Hill is very talented but is SO raw they need to pu a WR. Hill can’t be trusted just yet they need a veteran. Turner is a nice #4 thats it. If Landry stays healthy he is going to the Pro Bowl. Liked what i saw from Bush stepping in for Bell he held his own and he will be a good player down the road. Thought Coples didn’t give 100 % in the 2nd half when he tried a few one arm tackles instead of wrapping up. Ellis was the star of the game for the Jets. Hartsock is the Panthers’ #3 TE and if he is cut i would like to see the Jets sign him.
    Watch they go zero TD’s in the preseason and then they will go

44. By IRA on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

and hang 30 on the Bills provided Keller is healthy. Baker’s injury was a big loss. He had a great camp and besides ST’s he would’ve been a very versatile player for the Jets. Too bad hope he recovers well.
    GO JETS!!!!

45. By Jet Blue on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Defense looked very good, most of the time. Landry was superb. Great game for Howard. When Hunter came in, he was like a revolving door, spinning around and not knowing where is assiged block just went. This guy cannot play this game. The whole offense looks out of sync. Do they even practice before they go out and embarrass themslves on the field? I just can’t wait for this Buffalo game Rex keeps referring to. Apparently, we are all in for a real treat. This wait-n-see offense is the best kept secret since D-Day. But in this case, I think the Jets are going to be on the wrong side of the beach.
    I think the light Rex’ sees at the end of the tunnel is a freight train. And it’s heading our way.

46. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I’m with scjoe on McElroy . I don’t know if he’s the answer,no one does , What I do know is he can’t do any worse, problem is even if he throws for 400 yards and 4 -5 touchdowns, we won’t use him, reason being then Mike T would have to finally admit to one of his many draft pick mistakes

47. By SCfromNY on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Ialso gave great marks to Coples, landry, and Howard. I would also add Powell to that group. He was doing well until they decided to keep running the same play. I would like to see more 1rst down passes. Sanchez started out strong but faded quickly. The line did a decent job in pass protection. Run blocking which should be easier seems suspect or: Perhaps Greene is not the answer. Where was McKnight? Do the Jets hate to run outside or incapable for some reason? Overall the defense played well and even though Sporano was at the top of his field goal game the O did give some rest to the D. Overall better than the last games BUT not a winning formula. Can we PLEASE acknowlegde that all Tebow is is a situation player? 3rd QB maybe.

48. By GaryC on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

A few things about the jets,scott again gets beat at the goall line for a touchdown toss,nothing new,Ellis and Landry were the best jets on defense,If Maybin is so improved why is it that he can’t beat out Thomas or Pace for a starting position,Jets better give Ganaway more reps at running back,not to sure about Powell or McKnight backing up Greene,this guy Collins who will probably get cut continues to look good at receiver,maybe he can get to the practice squad,The Great One,Holmes drops another,perfect pass,not a perfect catch.

49. By GaryC on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

which quarterback had a 40 percent completion percentage with a fumble.

50. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

T.O just released. Mike -T go get him even with his diminished skills he will help this team some how some way,

51. By GaryC on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

when McElroy leads us to a couple of touchdowns this week,officially name him as your number 2 quarterback and stop being a laughing stock around the rest of the league.

52. By THUNDER LIPS on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

well … what to say. saw some good things. some really bad things. Thought Howard looked good, and for what i saw i thought Sanchez looked pretty good. looked like he had more zip on the ball. Defense, especially the fromt 4 or 3 depending on the play looked good. i really hope Landry stays healthy. he could be be a beast. with him and bell back there healthy we could be very improved. Scott looks great against the run, still bad in coverage. if Coples keeps it up all hte Pundits will be eating crow. NOW THE BAD, receiving corps looked bad. i think it could be that they are behind the 8 ball with injuries. Running game is not good at all. Tebow showed last night he is not a QB. our 2s and 3s are awful too.

53. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

It Has been reported that Mike T fell off his bike and injured his wrist. Does this mean he goes on the Injured reserve list for the rest of the year?

54. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I am in agreement .with the usual realists scjoe, Jet fan Tom, gary,. Ira great fan very positive,knowledgeable, very insightful, but still watching though rose color glasses , Hang 30 on Buffalo. really! I hope they hang 3 and our defense keeps them from scoring, Danny, what can I say except Sanchez had plenty of time,in the pocket I know about the drops,let me say and I’m sure you won’t agree Why does he contently zip and over throw the ball add no touch on passes to his long list to bad reads missed targets bad footwork no touch downs from the 12 , but keep hope alive.. Let me also say. I was WRONG about Coples he’s a gamer and glad to have him

55. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I hear a whole lot of magical thinking here, folks. And by the way, GaryC, which QB got his team into the end zone after being given the ball in the red zone? And which one didn’t? Not that such a minor detail matters when this is the third yr in a row that Rex’s Jets can’t score in the pre-season but we’re told they’ll turn it on in two weeks — how’s that workin’ for ya so far?

56. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Anybody who still thinks Tebow is an N.F.L Q.B. is either blinded by the lights from heaven or simply not a football fan! No way,no how he should be #2. its
    time to see what Mac nav do.Last negative note was Hill. This kid is even more raw than we were led to believe. Not only does he have hands of stone, burt he has no clue what to do with it when he does catch it? O.K, now the good news. K.Ellis was the best lpayer on the field! S.Puoia is gonna have a tough time getting back on the field because he’s been Wally Pipped! Ellis was a beast as he constantly beat R Kalil(an all pro center) like a drum!This weeek he was not only disruptive, but he made plays. Now I have to eat some crow here as I was not a big fan of bringing in L.Landry-

57. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

cont.- who has emerged as a major force on the Jet D! That was without question the most complete game I ever saw from a Jet safty. He showed coverage ability seperating a reciever from a slant pass,clobbered another
    reciever near the side line,intercepted another pass,pressure Newton on a blitz and broke up a screen pass by takeing out the blockers. basically, he did every thing but score a touchdown.A. maybin got good pressure and I’m think’n he’s got to be close to replacing Pace?As anyone heard from Brian Thomas? Did he make even one tackle? Got to give Coples some love to.He made several plays and continues to show he belongs.Kuddo’s to A.Howard who looked good too.!

58. By Karan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Yup Mark definetly had more zip on the ball if thats whats it called.

59. By IRA on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Yes looking forward ro watching McElroy play this week. Tough to tell because he will go against the 2’s and 3’s but he hasn’t got enough reps this summer.
    Allan,
    No IR for Mike T he is a tough dude.

60. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Vince Young released , since we didn’t go after T-Jackson, Like Buffalo or J-Demps like NE lets give Young a shot to resurrect his career, once again he can’t score any less then Sanchez or Tebow. He has all the tools his problem is not football skill related, if Rex can get him on the right tract ,we could have some production from our QB position, MIKE -T GO GET SOME ONE ANYONE TO HELP US OUT OF THIS MESS

61. By scjoe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

You are absolutely correct Ron. But what else did you expect when you move up in the 2nd round to select a WR who had a grand total of 49 receptions in his entire college career? What were they thinking about? Potential? I thought that was “another” horrific move on draft day. I also think that by the time (or IF) this guy reaches his full potential this coaching staff and FO may be completely turned over.

62. By scjoe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

MJV, I NEVER thought I would say this, but picking up TO may not be that bad of an idea. I was never a fan of this guy, and certainly never wanted to see him in green and white, but once again, extreme times takes extreme measures, and God knows theses are extreme times for this NY Jet receiving core.

63. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Defense played great….Howard was solid at RT…Hill has shown he can be very good. Had a few drops…he has some work to do. Landry is going to put fear in WR trying to come over the middle….worried that he is going to hurt himself going full tilt like that though. Reminds me of a little of Victor Green. But let’s not fool ourselves here….WE MUST SIGN another WR!…either Plax or TO…and sign a veteran RT. Just in case Howard goes down. Two Moves Mike T…just two moves and you might save the season.

64. By scjoe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Ira, after watching Tim Tebow (and I love the guy) play the QB position the past 3 weeks it wouldn’t matter to me if McElroy played well against 4th and 5th stringers. He couldn’t possibly be any worse a QB then Tebow. How this Jets brain thrust has not figured that out yet is way beyond me. I think it is time to try to figure out exactly what Tebow’s niche will be “excluding” the QB position. If Sanchez were to go down early in the season what will this club do?

65. By GaryC on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Jetfantom,I know you think there are 31 other qbs better then sanchez,the Panthers isolated the totem pole Scott,that was Newton’s touchdown pass.If holmes and hill don’t drop those throws,sanchez could of had 200 passing yards with yards after catch.even your boy steven a smith says holmes is a no 2 receiver,far from a numero uno.

66. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Realism’s not much in vogue on this site a lot of the time, MJV, but you notice the “optimists” vanish when the team doesn’t perform and changes need to be made. And boy, do changes ever need to be made, but not on minor levels, that’s just window-dressing. Rex and Sparano said Hill had great hands, they didn’t say a rookie wouldn’t drop any passes, especially the first passes that were ever thrown to him at all well. (Has any other Jet WR come close to 5 for 68 this pre-season?) No, the problem is at the top, with an org that isn’t serious about winning or scoring pts, the 2 things that every other team cares about. Or as another long-suffering Jet fan friend of mine said, “Every NFL team has a high-flying offense…except the Jets.”

67. By GaryC on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

there will be a speed back who gets cut,that,even more then the wideouts is a problem,need to open up the defenses with some screens and draws but not with shonn greene.Let the young wideouts develope,they will improve,please,do not want to hear about bringing in the malcontent fossils that have been cut already.there are reasons they have been cut.when does the youth start taking over the linebacker positions.

68. By GaryC on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

this is how bad kyle wilson is, even ducasse is looking better then him.

69. By russ winfield on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

why isnt anyone talking about how well k.ellis played against Carolina?

70. By since shea on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Not sure why we didnt run a 2 minute drill with Sanchez and the 1’s at the end of the first half. Ran out the clock with over one minute and 3 time outs? Why? Also, what is the point of having Sanchez only play about a half in this new offensive scheme? Whats the hurry to put in Tebow in early in the third quarter? Questionable decision making here. Mr T, you should be ashamed of yourself for putting this product on us, complete with the Tebow side show. What qualified you to be a GM?

71. By russ winfield on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

why cant everyone understand IT IS THE PRE-SEASON?new oc,just getting recievers healthy,havent even seen schillens yet,changing the o-line around etc,etc! people on this blog are so dang negative MAN! they will be fine…we will destroy BUFFALO as USUAL and this non-sense should be forgotten…oh thats right…all of you negative people who post on here EVERYDAY that call yourselves J-E-T-S fans arent going to stop being negative…you sound just like the BIASED analysts on the NFL network.

72. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

And Ron Alexander…There’s a few vet.. QB’s still out there that can help if GQ goes down. I still say gave McNabb a look. Tebow is NOT the answer at backup QB he’s just a bigger version of Brad Smith..

73. By scjoe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Russ Winfield, if you actually took the time to read ALL the posts instead of trying to look for the negative ones only, you would have seen MANY praising Ellis, including myself. And as for your claim that Jet fans in general on this site are to “negative?” What games have you been watching? We on this site like to call it being “realistic” not negative.

74. By scjoe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I agree re: the RBs, did you happen to notice the way a couple of the Carolina RBs hit the holes and got around the corner in debacle lll? Why didn’t I notice that with ANY of the Jets backs?

75. By scjoe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

64, I think you are overstating the correlation between being a rookie and dropping a good percentage of passes thrown directly at you. It may be true in technique, route running, even blocking, but catching a routine pass? The fact is not to many players are that deserving of that draft selection with that body of work, or lack there of.Hill is not one of them.

76. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Allan ‘O” not sure what you ment concerning other available Q.B’s as to my knowledge the Jets are not looking for a Q.B.(they should,but I dont believe they are?)I do agree with your other assesments about Landry,and Howard but as far as you Steven Hill there is more of a problem than a few drops.At this point he is still fighting the ball as it comes to him. Catching a football is a lot
    like surviving an auto accident. A well made vehicle will absorb the impact by collapsing to disapate the impact.A good reciever will extend his arms and contact the ball with his fingertips and pull it in to his body. Hill is allowing the ball to hit his body and trying to trap it against his chest.This allows the defender to get a hand in a deflect it.

77. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I’m not going to discuss Newton vs Sanchez, a discussion no football fan with any smarts about the QB position would ever engage in anyway, in the context of a badly-played exhib game. Just call me 8 games in and lemme know how Sanchez is doing compared to Newton — if MS is still starting then, that is. scjoe, what you said about Hill outlasting the FO and coaching staff is exactly what’s supposed to happen. After a miserable yr of no O, underperforming MS, and no-performing Tebow, a whole lot of Jets and Jet employees will be gone and we’ll start all over. So there’s no need to pick up vet WRs, RBs, or anyone else. Only when the Jets hit bottom will a new FO and coaching staff try to build a winner the right way — THRU THE DRAFT!

78. By danny on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

MJVET and anyone else who can say anything about how Mark played last night just hates him and will never be happy til he is gone. The kid played great last night, He threw the ball with zip and if Hill wasn;t a rookie he catches that ball in the endzone that any vet wr would have had. Mark threw the ball great last night as he had time to throw, U guys just can’t admit that WOW what a difference with no wayne hunter and time for Mark to throw. If that was a real game and our starters finish we win that game no doubt in my mind. Holmes hasn’t played and had a big drop along with Hills TD miss and the bounce off his chest for a pick. U guys are the one’s wearing ‘I HATE SANCHEZ GLASSES”. Howard did a great job at RT

79. By GaryC on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

vince young, terrell owens,plastico burress,excuse me while I laugh my head off.

80. By danny on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Tebow can’t be our backup QB plain and simple. I hope Mac puts on a good showing this week and locks it up because OMG Tebow is worse then I ever thought he could be. He is a wildcat QB that is it. Maybe he can replace baker now that he is hurt idk. As for Vince Young he was cut because he is just as bad as Tebow. No way do we pick him up MJV. Mac needs to be our backup. Powell did look much better last night and man Landry is such a BEAST. I remember some guys saying he is no better then Eric Smith hahahahahaha

81. By SCfromNY on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I am not for picking up a new QB especially like Young. Move McElroy to #2 and either keep Simms or I’m sure a young QB will be cut. It is past time for Tebow to be a situational player like Smith was. No more shared time with Sanchez, no more news conferences, and no rest like he is a starter. Sanchez showed enough, (I am NOT a fan), to get most snaps to get in sync with the O. We can not afford a spot for Plax. He is only good in the Red Zone. I’m for giving the kids a chance. I love Hill but he obviously needs work. I would look to pick up a fast young back, a tight end, and a WR with experience who couldn’t make the cut. Donte Stallworth should be released. For the Holmes haters he was working with Hill on the bench to improve.

82. By SCfromNY on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I think Hill is nervous and overwhelmed with the responsibility of being a starter. You could see it in the passes he did catch. You could almost see him stopping to think which way to go. These thoughts will all contribute to not catching an easy pass. If you can look good at times with practice and getting comfortable that should translate to a fine WR. Probably never happen but i would love to see Jerry Rice come by on a regular basis as a consultant. Besides imparting skill his work ethic is incredible. Again a quick thought on where was McKnight in the O? His bursts returning kicks show he might even be able to turn a corner.

83. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Danny, OOOOps, that would be me on the Landry thing. My bad!He is a beast! I only hope he can stay healthy. You are also right about Sanchez this week. He did play well.Only passes he didn’t complete were 2 drops by Hill and 1 by Holmes.Haveing time to throw makes a big difference for any Q.B but probably more for Sanchez as he makes better decisions when not being harrassed.Speaking of decisions, what was Tebow thinking when he threw that interception?There were 4 guys between the reciever Epps and Tebow.He might have had a shot had he lofted it over the defenders but that would have required touch.(whic he he obviously lacks!) GUYS, please, enough with the T.O-Plastico nonesence!Please!Tannenbaum might read this and think its a good idea!

84. By ELI RODRIGUEZ on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I must say only a few player stood out to me, ELLIS-HOWARD-LANDRY!— I’m not a fan of M.S. but he played better. Another RB and RECEIVER are in order and if I have a choice between T.O. and 85—I’ll go with 85. We all saw the game, we have issues. I’m afraid that the rift between the offense and defense will continue to grow, if this offense doesn’t produce soon. You know what would add more drama to this story line that G-MAC come out and scores a few TD’s, what would Rex do next. My money is on GREG McELROY!———-No matter what this season holds- I WILL STILL BE A JETS FAN AND SO WILL YOU GUYS!——-GO JETS!

85. By danny on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY nice post bro. Everything was well said

86. By scjoe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Danny, Mark Sanchez played “great” last night? Just a tad overstated I would say. He played pretty much like a 4th year QB is supposed to play in game 3 of the preseason, not GREAT! Great would have been leading the team in to the EZ at least one time, correction, that would have been “good” leading the team to 2 or 3 TDs would have been “great” wouldn’t you agree? That EZ pass to Hill maybe should have been caught, but it was high no doubt.

87. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

So scjoe, 3 yrs or 6 yrs or 10 yrs isn’t enough time to tell if Sanchez will ever be elite, but 3 games is enough to determine that Hill’s a bust? Don’t make me laugh, this team doesn’t have nearly enough talent at any position to give up on anybody that fast, as evidenced by the number of undrafted players we expect to become stars. danny, on Planet Earth failing to get your team into the end zone is one of the standards by which a QB is said to have played even acceptably, much less “great.” Every QB in the NFL suffers drops, sacks, penalties, etc. but only one NFL team at the moment has yet to score a TD in preseason. When Sanchez puts 35 pts on the board a couple games in a row, I’ll consider that he might be playing “great.”

88. By scjoe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, Tim Tebow as a starting QB if MS goes down? Chaz Schilens who can’t even get on the field? Stephen Hill who can’t seem to catch anything? Excuse me while I laugh MY head off.

89. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Fascinating match-up between GaryC and scjoe about picking up other teams castoffs, but both know that’s Band-Aid stuff at best.

90. By GaryC on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,give it up on these guys who are past their primes,jets aren’t winning with these guys,yes I would give shilens more of a chance than the brontausauras burress.I am not a proponent of having tebow,It should be McElroy as the number two,and also on an early post you stated about how good the carolina backs looked,can you pass that on to JetFanTom,who thinks the Panthers are a one man show,with that being Newton.

91. By GaryC on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, if sanchez puts up two straight 35 point games I want to get it on the record you calling him great,a tape recorder will come your way,evidence speaks volumes.

92. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Any QB who puts 35 pts on the board even 2 games in a row, especially if he does it by throwing 3 or 4 TDs, is unquestionably playing great, GaryC. Unfortunately, as Bennett keeps pointing out and folks like you keep ignoring, Sanchez has barely managed to put 2 good games in a row together during his pro career, much less more great games in a row than that. As for the Panthers, no, since, we’ve had the just about the worst preseason of any NFL team and remain one of the worst at developing young players, there’s no question the Panthers are getting better faster than we are — how could they, or just about anyone else, not? Even Schotty’s O on STL looks better than ours.

93. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

64, I haven’t used the B word “yet” re: Hill. And yes, I know this team doesn’t have enough talent at multiple positions including WR. That is my point! If there were 2 or 3 vets in place at that position that may not have been a bad pick. There was NOT. It should have never come down to them depending on a rookie WR starting, when you factor in his lack of production in college it become ludicrous.

94. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

The main reason I disagree with you about Hill, scjoe, is because I don’t think we’re going anywhere in this league for at least a few yrs. We have a HC who, as Lupica pts out, is 50 yrs behind the times on O. We have 2 well-known but so far-inadequate QBs. We have holes all over the roster thanks to overpaid vets who were never all that good to begin with (Scott, Thomas) and unproven young players that we’ve picked up from other teams in the hope, or prayer, that they might shine here. Picking Hill, a potential deep-threat WR of the kind we haven’t had since Walker, and seeing what he can do over the next 2 or 3 yrs is exactly what we should be doing — instead of making predictions of 11-5 seasons with this roster and set of coaches.

95. By danny on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Big Ron I’m glad you agreed Sanchez played very well the other night. To someone who says the Ball to Hill was high well most NFL QB’s with throw th ball high to a 6’5 WR in the endzone as Sanchez is used to Burris coming down with it. It should have been a TD but that is fine it’s preseason and Hill is raw. If Sanchez finished off that game I think he puts at least 20pts on the board as he was throwing the ball VERY well. Yes guys it’s only one game but having the time he had to throw he was able to throw the football and all last yr and first 2 preseason games he did not have time with Wayne Hunter. When he did he assumed wayne was burnt yet again. Now hopefully he gains confidence in Howard.

96. By danny on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Hill has a lot of talent and just needs more playing time so ppl need to relax with him. The kid should be a Big Time player for us in the future. Maybe we start Turner for a few games or move Kerley to the outside and then Move Hill back in when we go with 3 receiver sets. Yeah Kerley and Holmes are 2 small receivers but both are very fast. Hill has all the ability in the world and was def worth drafting as I believe he will turn into a BEAST. Would rather him have these drops in preseason as he gets used to the NFL. Some of u guys are so negative it’s truly insane.

97. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

GaryC/64 Why is it that so many (including both of you) criticize and downplay any move or potential move to upgrade the roster by bringing in free agents, or cast off”s what ever you like to call them. If you take a close look around the league you will see that EVERY team, EVERY year with out fail, does exactly that in an attempt to “upgrade” the roster. Now, I don’t agree with bringing in a George Blanda to upgrade the b/u QB position, but how can you sit here and tell me that a guy like Vince Young (for example) is not an upgrade to Tim Tebow. You did view the past 3 pre season games didn’t you?…….

98. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

To continue, take a good look at the WR spot on this team and tell me a guy like Stallworth or Hardy, will not “upgrade” that position. Neither is “over the hill” as you like to point out GaryC. Tell me the downside in that.It really don’t matter to me, and it shouoldn’t to you either, how long either will be here for. If they can win this year, and those FAs can help, what is the problem?

99. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know, maybe it is just me (and 64 Tom) but I happen to believe there is a world of difference between playing “good” and playing “great” we both must be missing something here 64. How does anyone who has watched and followed pro football for an extended period of time make a statement that a QB played “great” when his team never got in to or near the end zone?? That one puzzles me big time. A former coach of ours once said “the only way you judge a QB is by how often he gets his team into the endzone” So, lets review, how do we judge MS in his last game.

100. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Stephen Hill? Exactly where is it written that a player right out of college will become a “big time player for us” simply because he is 6’4″ and runs a 4’3 40? What is that based on? Vernon Gholston was supposed to be a “big time player for us” because he had all the size speed and athletcism in the world. Sorry, I have seen to many “sure things” coming out of college that were supposed to be “big time players” who dissapeared in year 1 or 2. Some of you guys are so “positive” it is truly insane!

101. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Danny, I call em like I see em. Thought marked played much better as we both predicted.Now I do agree with S.C.Joe he played like a 4th year Q.B should play.The protection was the key in my mind.S.C.Joe, well stated my man. If a guy can help us until Hill is ready lets go get him.I would prefer Gaffney to Stallworth as Gaffney has torched us in the past and he is younger.Hardy is also a big physical guy who could help us.We still need help at T.E.

102. By GaryC on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, those two receivers never reached the hill to go over it,I am not against bringing in players if they have potential,with Young he has had many chances and hasn’t done it,I would go with mcelroy,on other posts I did I list certain players the jets should bring in like Oman and Justin Peele.

103. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I can’t speak for GaryC, scjoe, though he like me and MJV puts a heavy emphasis on the draft, not on fantasies of picking up scrubs and somehow making it to Kilmer-era Redskins-style glory. But for me the answers are many and simple: The Jets don’t draft all that well, to say the least. They’ve always been skittish about sinking or swimming with the guys they draft, and that’s gotten MUCH worse under Rex. This yr should be about whether Sanchez has it or not and Tebow will be no factor unless MS totally bombs out, so Young is even less of a factor. And I’d rather play all our young guys at WR than waste time playing Stallworth, Hardy, or even Schilens. What parts of this don’t you understand?

104. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

64, the part I don’t understand, or at least one of the parts, is the fact that you just mentioned in your previous post the the NY Jets “do not draft well” that said, why are you still so against picking up “select” FAs? Do you actually want to see this team win, or are you content with just talking about how mis managed they are? Guys like Hardy, even Scilens, Coffman, and Stallworth are not exactly dinosaurs, and the latter two are upgrades to what we have now on this roster. So, where’s the problem again?

105. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

One more point 64, you are so high on Stephen Hill (6’4″ 215 4.3 40) yet so down on his “clone” Chaz Schilens (6’4″ 220 4.3 40) to me they are one and the same. The same game. I would even be willing to bet that if the two changed uni numbers “most fans” would never know the difference. Lets forget the fact that Schilens has had major problems staying healthy and assume for a minute that that can change at any time, which it can of course. Where is this huge difference that you seem to find between them? Neither have any body of work to speak of.

106. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Agree with you about Mark’s “great” play vs CAR, scjoe, and I agree with GaryC about McElroy. As Arte said to me today re the Jets and their young players, “Watch Joe McKnight rack up 1,000 yds for some other team after we trade him.” (Luckily, we can’t trade him because he’s one of the best KR guys in the league.)

107. By danny on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe there is no comparing Gholsten to what Hill has done already in just a few preseason games. He dropped some big balls but he still had 5 catches for what 80 yds ?? Gholston never done anything productive and yes judging on a young guys size and speed u see the talent is there but nothing is a sure things. Gholston did not have crazyyy size and speed all he had was big muscles. You see when Coples was drafted the talk was about the size of this man and how athletic he is for a big man so that is why you say the Talent is there if he works hard and rises up to his full potential. U say ur a football guy so how can u not see that Hill has all the talent in the world bro ?? Does he have a long way to go YES but the talent is there

108. By danny on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

See ppl judge QB’s Scjoe by ohh just if they score but after the first 2 disaster game’s when u look at ur QB and he is throwing the ball well and moving the offense then not much more he can do if his WR’s drop balls or his lineman go offsides or get unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, Football is still no matter what a TEAM game so yes MS played VERY VERY well the other night as Ron ” who has played college ball” agrees. I only say this because both Ron and I have said we played the game so for you to say any football guy judges a QB on if he scored pts is a false statement. Any football guy knows it’s a team game so yeah I judged MS the other night on his performance not the rest of the TEAM or Sparano’s play calls.

109. By danny on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe I don’t wanna say it but since you keep bringing up this MS played great and talkig about you only judge QB’s when they score pts then please tell me why you believe we should sign Vince Young ??? The guy is a interception machine with a weak arm and horrible mechanics like Tebow ???? If you know QB’s so well and can judge them HOW can u say we should sign Vinve Young ?? That alone shows me u hate Sanchez and you don;t know much about the QB position. Enough coming after my opinion of how MS played the other night, I am not the only one who said he played well bro but not many are with you that he didn;t play well and NO ONE is with you on Vince “horrible” Young

110. By Jet Blue on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

No need to bother picking up any players dumped by other teams. Rex & T made their bed here, now let them sleep in it. Let the season play out and let the empire crumble. Then let’s clean house and build through the draft. There are not enough bandaids to cover this team’s bruises. Get rid of the GM, the HC and bring in smart football people. Some of the contributors on this site seem to know more about talent than the T-Rex combo. If you’re a true Jets fan you are tired of the quick fix attempts at making this team relevent. Build for the future and for sustainment. The fans will back you if they know you are trying, even if losing a little at the beginning is the price to pay. The losing this year, should be the end.

111. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Danny, first off don’t say “you know nothing about QB play” because that would be an insult to my sports intelligence. Next, I would venture to say that more people, not only here on Randy’s blog would agree that he DID NOT play “great” as you originally had indicated, and since that point toned it down to he “played well” which I may have even agreed with had you put it that way originally. I really think you are trying to convince yourself that this guy is an elite, or potentially elite QB. He is not. As for Young? I know exactly what he is, and is not. I also know exactly what Tim Tebow (as a QB) is and is not. It is more a reflection on what Tebow is, then what Young is.

112. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Danny, re: your first post above. I hate to break this to you but I also played AND coached the game as you say you and Ron did. And let me correct you on Ron’s interpretation of how MS played vs Carolina, and I quote, “you are dead on scjoe, he played like a 4th year QB should play in his 4th pre season game” But don’t take my word for it, go back and reread his comment. And again, dropped passes, off sides, false starts, etc. is part of the game last time I looked, it is something that every QB from pee wee through the NFL deals with. Is it ALWAYS one of those things, along with a bad o line, that causes MS to throw INTs or inaccurate, incomplete passes? Please!

113. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Not to beat a dead horse Danny. But why don’t you do this, it will settle this “debate” once and for all. Why don’t you post a question to the masses here, ask the question “How many of you think that MS played “great” against Carolina? Then ask how many think he played “well” vs Carolina. I will go out on a very short limb here and say that YOU would be the only one who concluded that he played “great” that is of course, if you are NOT retracting that now. Where is Joe CAPS when I need him.

114. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, normally I’d just refer you to Jet Blue’s bold, blunt, brilliant post here that starts with “No need to bother,” etc. which says everything that needs to be said. But you’re really engaging in high comedy here, so I’ll add a few things. You don’t see the difference between a high-drafted rookie (Hill, #2) with his entire career ahead of him and a low-drafted vet (Schilens, #2) who’s never been able to stay on the field — and hasn’t even gotten onto the field for us? Jeez, I was just thinking yesterday Schilens is a likely cut and you’re telling me he’s a future star. Get real, man, the Jets don’t need other teams’ castoffs because no one’s ever built a great team that way. And Rex is awful with young players anyway.

115. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

64, first off I think we both know it really doesn’t matter where a particular player was drafted. That means nothing, zilch, zero. So, where does that come in to play re: the Hill/ Schilens debate? They are not that far apart on ANYTHING! Including age. No one, and I mean no one can sit here at this point in time and tell me Hill is a much better prospect then Schilens simply because he was drafted higher. That in my book is “high comedy” As I have said so often, neither has any body of work to speak of, and all attributes are almost identical, so for you it is strictly draft position? Further, if, like you say, Schilens is a “likely cut” with THIS WR group,there goes the little respect I have left for this FO

116. By SCfromNY on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

First I think Sanchez played well, not great. Also he appeared to deteriate as the game went on. Starting strong butlooking weak at the end. I have nothing against picking up other teams players. Farrior seemed to do a good job for the Steelers. Vilma turned out all right for the Saints. Woodhead worked out for the Pats. We picked up Maybin. Pace was a good pickup. I think Curtis turned out OK. Yes some were trades but the main point is that you don’t always have to find elite sometimes just good to fill in. Does anyone think Parcells would tolerate Sanchez or Tebow? He had his footbal criteria: QBs scored TDs, Kickers didn’t miss.

117. By danny on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe Ron agreed with me that Sanchez played well and yes as a 4th yr QB does and yes drop balls and penalties happen in pee wee too but if it happens in a game you will not succeed and as a former coach you should know that. Now getting back to posting on here if MS played great no way bro I don’t care what everyone thinks I come on here and post my opinion. This is now Wed and ur still talking about me saying MS played great. As for MS being elite well you only read what u want I guess because i never said he is elite or ever will be but I said he showed signs of a winner his first 2 yrs and then got crushed last yr and first 2 preseason games and sorry I’m 100 percent correct that he got killed with our O line so post that and see

118. By danny on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe you admitted you never liked MS since the day we drafted him so ur blinded by everything else that goes on as to why he has not been productive. Like Ron has said he is our QB this yr no matter what and I would like to see what he does with a decent O line and another yr under his belt. Your not only ripping MS ur ripping Hill who has all the tools to be a very good NFL WR and when was the last time we had a young WR like this with his talent ? Let the guy develop before you rip him apart and say he stinks. How can you not see the size and ability the guy has ? Just because he has the size and ability don;t mean he will be a star NFL WR but dude its preseason of his 1st yr in the league and ur pretty much calling him a bust. LOL

119. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, your posts to danny make me hesitant to argue with you any further today, because they were all so brilliant across the board. But I think you’re out on a limb yourself if you don’t see the difference between a fresh #2 and a stale, never-healthy #7. As for this FO, I’ve lost all respect for it it by now so NOTHING would surprise me, least of all cutting Schilens. We’d have nothing to lose by trading Holmes (Arte suggested that to me yesterday and since we’re going nowhere during SH’s prime now, I wouldn’t argue with it), starting Hill, Kerley, and Turner/White in every game, and just seeing what happens. I know it may take 8 or 10 games for some folks to realize that we’re not gonna be in it this yr, but I know that already.

120. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

DANNY/S.CJoe?64 and who ever else cares,(you tooBlinka)First of all, the fact that I played Q.B in college means absoloutely nothing in regards to my opinions here on this site.I simply choose to visit here because I think there is a lot of great Jet fans I can exchange ideas with.(mysery loves company?)Anyway, if I do bring anything to the table here it is that my hobby of following the NFL draft gives me good insight into player evaluations. I was doing the Mel Kyper stuff before anyone ever heard of him.Now, I dont have access to the coaches game tapes and inside evaluations like kyper does but I watch a heck of a lot of college football and read every thing I can get my hands on so I do believe I know more than an avarage fan? cont-

121. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

cont- my point here is the opinions I offer here while not professional, are based on information compiled by yours truley here and compared to what a lot of experts say or write.In other words, I dont base my opinions on emotional or casual observations.I do my homework. So when I make an observation or suggestion on personell decisions I do have a clue. This whole Sanchez thing
    is really an unwinable argument.No matter what anyone thinks by the time this season is over we will all know one way or another what we truley have as far as the Q.B posisition stands.Either M.S finds a way to get the job done with the weapons he has or he is probably gonna spend next year in St.Louis at the real Jets west!

122. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

So much to say, so little time..Danny, this is Thursday, and I respond when you respond. We will never agree on Mark Sanchez’s ability as an NFL QB, (right now) that much has been determined. What will happen going forward? Neither one of us can answer that (right now) So Ron is 100% correct in that sense. Now, I admitted I didn’t like “the pick” from day #1, NOT the person. I didn’t think he had the basic tools, I didn’t think he was anywhere near ready to come out, and most of all I didn’t like the fact he is a warm weather QB playing in an area of the country that has some of the worse winters. So, tell me, what has changed since then that would lead me to believe I was wrong? Now, going forward I may be proved wrong, cont……

123. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

And I would be fine with that, after all, I am a Jet fan. It is not personal with Mark Sanchez. It has nothing to do with liking him “the person” it is strictly about his ability and what he can bring to the team I have been following since day #1 at the old Polo Grounds along with about 2000 other people. In other words, just like any other player that wears the green and white. Every “debate” I have on this site or anywhere else, is based on what I have seen to date, NOT what may or may not happen.I think you understand that. So, like Ron says, lets give it one more season then see where we are at.

124. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Ron, as usual, you make some valid and intelligent points.I like to think that I do as well here on Randy’s blog. I follow, and know this game as well as any other fan out there. Like you, and Danny, and 64, and Ira etc. etc. I have my opinions that are mine and mine alone. I usually base those opinions on what I can see through my own eyes. I do that with all sports and in life in general as a matter of fact. I don’t believe that “potential” is anything more then just another word, until it is reached in it’s fullest. History has taught me that. Maybe that is why I get in to so many of theses “heated debates” LOL are you listening 64 (:-) But overall, I don’t mind the debates, just so long as they stay civil.

125. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

64, my main man. I think I may have answered the question that both you and Danny raised re: Stephen Hill in my post above, his experience, his ability,his draft position, and last but not least his “potential” so I wont even go there now. I will say this, just as I said re: MS. I hope I am proved wrong, because that would mean the NY Jets would have not only their franchise QB they have been searching for since the early 70s, they will also have their Al Toon/Wesley Walker all rolled in to one, and that would be a great start. Of course at this point in time, that isn’t anything more then a big “if” So, for now we will all have to do what we do best, wait and be patient.

126. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

S.CJoe, No doubt, you are the person here I agree mosrt with.So of course I have to say you do bring a great deal of intellegence to the table here(or else I think were both idiots? Geez, i am gett’n a little long in the tooth so who knows.
    Anyway, glad to move on to more fun topic’s like how do we get rid of the organizations problem,Mr. T? later guys, I got a few cold frosty’s waiting and I want to watch G.Mac do his thing.

127. By SCfromNY on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I love the debates on this site mainly because for the most part posters remain civil and don’t waste time correcting spelling or grammer. I’ve always said that I am not a fan of Sanchez and do not think he will ever step up. It does not mean that if he plays well I won’t support him. What it means is this is not baseball we only have 16+? games and shouldn’t waste them on players who will not pan out. I liked the pick of Hill but it could go either way. In the’80s the Giants picked up a burner for Simms. He beat everybody but couldn’t catch. Jerry Rice wasn’t a burner. Who would take Holmes with his rep and salery? I don’t want an 8-8 year again. Better to go to the playoffs or worse to stock up in the draft.

128. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

RON A and scjoe, I notice both of you have felt compelled to state your credentials in the last day or so. As impressive as those creds are, make no mistake that it’s the consistently wise and level-headed quality of your posts that impresses most of all. In person I rarely get heated, so on this site a little of that’s okay in my view, especially in service of a laugh. (To be a Jet fan and not know how to laugh might be a definition of the 9th level of Hell.) Anyway, scjoe, per Sanchez, NO, OF COURSE, draft order isn’t a cut-and-dried, hard-and-fast thing. But if Hill stays healthier than Schilens has in his career to date, I think you’ll see sooner than later that their draft order is indicative of something.

129. By danny on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Well said Scjoe and well said Big Ron

130. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

64, Credentials? what credentials? Nah, but thanks, i appreciate your kind words. Believe me, I know I’m no expert, but it doesn’t take an expert to know that as long as Tanny is running this show we will continue to operate as a “circus side show! I havn’t seen the final cuts yet but I know I will have plenty of things to say when we cut the good young players for tho old follils who continue to demonstrate they are not capable of getting the job done

131. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Like cutting 3 of our picks on O, RON A?

132. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

64, yeah, so much for the few Tanny fans here that said we had such a great draft?
    So lets look at this great draft.
    RD.1 Q.Coples ?has lookd good agains #2’s and o.k vs. 1’s. Copped a tude when the coach wanted him to take more snaps in 2nd half vs.carolina?
    2-S.Hill,has dropped almost as many as he has caught?
    Rd. D.Davis L.B,shows potential,cant get on the field over Pace,Thomas or Scott?
    Rd.4 traded for Hill,
    RD.5 .Josh Bush-back-up safty
    Rd6 R>Griffin O.T(.cut) Rd6-B R.B. D.Ganaway (cut)
    RD.7 A.Allen Back up safty, Rd.7 B-white w.r. (cut)
    yeah, so much for a great draft?

133. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Whaddya expect, RON A, when the HC dismisses the idea of drafting “a wideout” in the 2nd round at a time when “wideouts” have never been more crucial to the way the game of pro football is actually played?

134. By scjoe on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Your right Ron, I can remember quite a few people gushing over this draft class. It is pretty easy to do that BEFORE they enter the real world which is the NFL. Sure, some of the picks looked great, ON PAPER, but I am sure you know the old saying that it is to bad the game isn’t played on paper. If it were, Tanny would look much better then he actually is.

135. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

I find it very difficult to justify how and 8-8 team can only find 4 out of 8 pic’s make the team when teams like N.England,N.Orleans, GreenBay,the Giants S.F have only cut 1 or 2 of theirs even though they drafted well after we did? Can anybody tell me Tanny is doing a good job? Did anyone see we sighned a back up W.R. who cant play W.R? IRA, what did you think of the cuts and pick ups?