• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Coordinators Press Conference Jets STC Thomas McGaughey, OC Marty Mornhinweg & DC Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

Brown Released, Folk Takes K Job; 5 Waived

Posted by Randy Lange on August 27, 2012 – 2:57 pm

Updated, 3:15 p.m. ET

Nick Folk, the winner and still champeen.

With the Jets’ announcement that Josh Brown had been released today as the team reduced its roster to one under the 75-player maximum, Folk has prevailed as the Jets placekicker after kicking for his job for the second straight preseason.

Last year he outdueled journeyman Nick Novak. This offseason Brown, the long-ball veteran with Rams and Seahawks experience, figured to provide even stiffer competition. And he did. But after Nick went 3-for-3 against the Panthers while Brown went 1-for-2 with a miss from 45 yards out (albeit after Kenrick Ellis’ false start moved the kick 5 yards back), the decision by head coach Rex Ryan and special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff was made.

But the Panthers game wasn’t the only input. The training camp competition up at SUNY Cortland and back in North Jersey was close, and I don’t have any official or unofficial tally, but on most days when the two alternated two kicks at a time, moving 2 to 3 yards back with each kick, Folk seemed to have the edge on many days.

Now the key will be how Nick kicks all season long. As Westhoff told me back in late July at the start of camp about Folk vs. Brown, “It’ll be an interesting battle. Josh is a very viable candidate and makes for a very competitive kicking competition. It’s a good battle. They’re both pretty good. They can do it. And I think we needed that situation because Nick’s inconsistencies are frustrating.”

An example of that was Folk’s 24-yard miss on the opening drive of the Jets’ home loss to the Patriots last season.

“Now, can he turn around and make the kick that beat the Colts and go to the next playoff game? Yes. But you can’t miss that. That’s disappointing,” the coach said. “To his credit, we put him in a competitive situation. He’s fighting right now, he’s doing well. It’s a good, honest competition.”

The samples are not significant, so take this for what it’s worth, but every one of the previous three preseasons, in 2009 with Dallas and 2010-11 with the Jets, Folk missed at least one preseason field goal try from under 50 yards. In ’10, one of his misses was a 62-yarder, but he also was wide from 46 and on a point after. Last summer he missed from 43 and 52.

This summer, of course, he had no PAT tries. But he was 4-for-4 on his FG tries, from 22, 30, 38 and 46.

Five Other Moves

The Jets also waived five players, including FB-TE Josh Baker, who suffered a serious knee injury in the second quarter vs. the Panthers and was waived/injured. Also cut were WRs Stanley Arukwe and Wes Kemp, RB Jeremy Stewart and LB Damario Ambrose.

This year’s final cutdown to 53 players on each team’s active/inactive list is this Friday (all NFL games will be played Wednesday and Thursday) by 9 p.m. ET.

Austin Plaudits

There was general praise for Austin Howard in his first right tackle starting assignment for the Jets on Sunday night.

“I thought Austin had a nice game for us,” said head coach Rex Ryan.

“I was just proud of our offensive line,” said Mark Sanchez, who was taken down once on a coverage sack in 2½ quarters Sunday vs. three non-coverage sacks in two quarters vs. the Giants. “I was proud of the way Austin Howard competed. That’s not an easy spot to jump into.”

Howard is a man of few words and most of them modest. He hit all the right notes about “I feel like I’m progressing and we’re progressing as an offense” and “We have to watch the film.”

“This opportunity has been a huge blessing,” he said. “I’m so grateful to be out on the field with the veterans and to go out and play the game. I feel it’s been a progression since my first start.”

That’s something many may not know or realize. Howard had a start for the Eagles at LT in the final preseason game in 2010 — against the Jets, of course — and had one regular-season start, in the ’10 season finale for the Birds vs. the Cowboys.

Here’s one other interesting fact about Howard from the Panthers game: He was the only Jet to play in 100 percent of his unit’s plays. The offense was on the field for 69 plays on Sunday and so was Howard. And add in the six special-teams plays he appeared in and the big guy from Davenport, Iowa, led the Jets last night with 75 snaps. Next-most plays? TE Dedrick Epps with 58 plays, 57 on offense.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

151 Responses to “Brown Released, Folk Takes K Job; 5 Waived”

1. By AbdurreHman on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Can the jets sign Bryant Johnson and David Clowney?

2. By AZ JET Fan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Yea, what ever happended to Clowney?

3. By scjoe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

A few recent cuts that the Jets SHOULD be taking a long look at. 1-Chase Coffman (TE) 2- Kevin Hardy (WR) 3- Duece Lutui (G) 4- Vince Young (QB) 5- Donte Stallworth (WR). I know, I know, they are all cast off’s and they all will come with question marks, but take a good look at those positions NOW on this Jets roster.

4. By Jersey Joe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Hooray for Folk (yawn) I”m starting to wonder if ole Westhoff should maybe retire after this season he clearly blew it with the Weatherford decision last year and I would argue the Novak/Folk battle too. The Baker injury is devastating but maybe now the Rugby player will see some action and flash some much needed toughness and SPEED on what I’d argue is the worst bunch of TE’s in the NFL. That may be why our D struggles (fails) to cover even average TE’s since the linebackers, safeties and DB’s are not really challenged in practice. It’s an indictment of your talent scouts and front office when running backs, tight-ends, receivers and kickers on the waiver wire are a significant upgrade over whats on the current roster – WE NEED HELP !

5. By scjoe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I think the Jets made a mistake going with Folk over Brown. I suppose it was all just a game anyway, there really never was a fair competition. Folk is way to inconsistint in my eyes. Nice note on Howard playing every snap Randy. It does say a lot aboiut his conditioning, after all, this is one big man. Way to go Austin!

6. By Jersey Joe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Randy – every Jet game I watch he gets torched any chance that we could trade Kyle Wilson for a wide-out or TE? The Lions are desperate for DB’s but are absolutely loaded at receiver and TE and their coach Schwartz might see Wilson as an upgrade in Detroit over what they have. Just a thought !

7. By NeilT on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Shame they could not have kept both Brown and Folk, but there are too many holes on the roster. Still it would have been nice to have Brown’s leg on K.O.’s. Even with the K.O. moved up, Folk never gets TBs.

8. By Dr Freedom on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Why would we want or need Vince Young? He is a bumb and a less talented version of tebow with a bad attitude.

9. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, Not sure about V.Young unless we trade Tebow as they are simular in what they bring(though Young is clearly a better passer.)With Baker out for the year we clearly need help at T.E.so I like Coffman. I havn’t seen a full list of who’s available yet butStallworth is better than anyone we have now. I like Gaffney too if he becomes available.Ditto Kevin Hardy.Please do not bring in T.O or Clowney though. T.O. would make this even more of a circus than we are now. Clowney,been there done that! We do need another O.T,(no way Hunter can be on this team!) a T.E (or 2 if Keller is out long,)and a vetern W.R is a must as Schillens is hurt(what a surprise?) and Hill is simply not ready.

10. By kleckofan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Great job by Austin Howard last night, which begs the question: why didn’t our coaches/Tanny see this earlier?Hunter should be a cut, nice guy, but a roster spot is too important. Another sack last nite vs 2nd teamers, confidence shot, technique poor. I’ll stay positive here, a nod to Ira, the D-line looks great; finally getting that inside push that’s been missing since Jenks went down. Kendrick looked great and Mo’ Wilk too. Landry looked good and Cro as well.
    Fire Tanny.

11. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Well GL to Brown. I’m sure he’ll go on and have a good career. Feel very bad for Baker, that stinks, part of the game I hate, one of the only problems we the Jets need not worry about, .getting down to 53 with our talent, Good team are letting 2’s and 3’s go better then our 1’s . Lets see if maybe just maybe that fall Mike -T took,produces an epiphany and suddenly realize we need help . and pick up some real talent .

12. By Paul N. on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Vince Young to back up Mark Sanchez might not be a bad idea. Tebow should be marketed, a mid rounder in next yrs draft will suffice. It’ll help with the roster cuts, and he just isn’t a viable option for this team. In my opinion McElroy should be in front of him on the depth chart. We really need to watch the wire for a RB as well, while Shonn Greene is still viable, he really has never shown the explosiveness the Jets had hoped for.

13. By ericp2 on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Vince Young? that’s crazy talk, he could’t help any team at the QB position aside from maybe, possibly Arizona.

Chase Coffman is an interesting prospect cuz of his size and I think the Jets need a blocking tight end really badly but I have a really good feeling about Hayden Smith – I just wish he got snaps week to week this preseason but he’s been non existent.

Donte Stallworth I think is another interesting one especially if you are thinking about bringing in a veteran receiver who can play the slot effectively but is he really gonna be that productive? I dunno but one thing’s for sure, we need another receiving weapon. I like Stephen Hill but you just cannot drop a pass that hits you in your hands and expect to be the #2 guy am I right

14. By No one cares what Blinka thinks on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Vince Young. Jeesh, what fall from grace.

Eh, who cares what I think,
    #54

Fan ’64 may I please have your negative post of the day. Thank you kindly.

15. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Off topic, these are not my words,But the Words of Joe Montana on national TV , Jets QB;s playing dogged, Not going to say like dogs that wouldn’t be right, Now I know we have some very knowledgeable fans here. Maybe the few here that just don’t see it. will now, I doubt any of us are more qualified judging QB play over J-M ..Now let me say being I’m one of Jets biggest critics, just so all the fans here don’t think I’m all bad, MY TURN please bare with me I have more typo’s then I should, I’m so busy with my opinions, I should proof read my comments OK now have at it, Ha

16. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Ha, GaryC, get a load of the 67% approval rating (2 out of the first 3 posts) as of the time I’m posting this. Speaking of cuts, scjoe, funny how Rackers, who we were so interested in last yr, has been cut by the Skins but we’re ready to stick with Folk. If we really thought we were anywhere near competing for anything this yr, we’d probably call Rackers in today.

17. By Jason on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Kendrick Ellis was a BEAST last night, as was Landry. Very excited about those two guys. Also think that that makes Pouha expendable. Although I like him and he’s a great player and guy, if they can get a RT by trading one of the top nose tackles in football I would jump on it.

Also, NY Giants just release Joe Martinek – GO SIGN HIM. He would be a great jet.

18. By GaryC on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Looking at the early cuts, a few names caught my eye,xavier oman the back,peele the tightend and a couple of linemen ed wang who played at virginia tech and trautwein who played tackle at florida.

19. By Karan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Certainly feel bad for Josh Baker, looks like he was going to be pretty productive this year, best of luck to him.

20. By Karan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Theres a report out that the Jets have no interest in signing Terrell Owens.

21. By Karan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

All of a sudden now, we need a tight end. Wish Baker didn’t get injured.

22. By Karan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tannenbaum doesn’t sign anyone before the start of the season.

23. By Jack on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Good choice in keeping Folk no miss f/g last night Brown had one. But the Jets now need another RB, Please go out and get one ASAP!!! M,J,D Sure would be nice they also may need a TE, as well. RT, Austin Howard did a great job last night just hope he can keep it up for the whole season. GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!

24. By SCfromNY on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I am glad Folk won out. I never like a Kicker who spends half his time kicking in domes. There shold be some quality players cut. If Tanny can sign anyone who is not a household name we might actually improve. WR, TE, RB, and OL depth is what we need. TE will be the hardest to find like safeties the new NFL needs these postions badly. Note to Rex: Ground and Pound is over. If you want to run you have to do it like the top teams do. Pass first to open up the running lanes. A constant 3 yard run on 1rst down is not a way to win.

25. By wayne on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

They might say no TO now, but after a few regular season mishaps…………

26. By robertpapalia on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Still after 3 games no touchdowns. If this continues through the season this team will be in big trouble. That could be the start of the Jets looking for another qb in next year`s draft. And if Tannenbaum is still around if we have a debacle this year, I am not confident he will do the right thing.

27. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Karan, I love your positive vibe here so please dont take me wrong but other than IRA(the eternal optimist) saying Baker looked good in Cortland,what exactly has Baker shown anyone so far this year? Hey, I feel terriable about his injury,but he hasn’t exactly been lighten it up so far.Dont worry, there will be plenty of T.E’s available in the coming days and who know’s mabey young Steven who always talks up Hayden Smith(the rugby guy) or his other favorite 6-7 Tarren LLoyd?will show they can play?So far Dedrick Epps has had problems hanging on to the ball(three drops) so dont expect much from him.He did show good speed on several plays getting behind the safty’s,but Tebow didn’t see him.

28. By author on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Tony Scheffler from the Lions would be a great deal to make. And Percy Harvin will be here in a few days, so that will be our playmaker.

29. By harry-o on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

see what happens when you throw the ball more than 3 yrds?
    now if only you guys can do it for more than just the first four plays.
    new RT, much much better
    pass rush, evident
    ground and pound, not so much
    right now this team scares no one.
    the jets can go 2-14 just as long both wins are against New England
    hope mcelroy shines this week, he should be the back up.
    good luck youz guyz

30. By Bennett on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Back ….Sanchez looked better however I would not call that pass rush overwhelming. Plax WOULD HAVE CAUGHT that high pass Sanchez threw in the end zone thats why Sanchez went over 20 TD’s for the first time last year.Plax is going to be missed in the end zone. Hill had better catch those passes like the one that BOUNCED OFF HIS HANDS. Landry is scary he will be feared in the middle the Slots will be telling that QB “you best not be throwing that high floater stuff you hearing me man”. The officials are scary bad. Our D looks good, the offense remains pathetic only team in HOW MANY YEARS NOT TO SCORE A TD IN THE FIRST 3 pre games. Schotty I apologize again. Jet 64 Tom rethinking that whole Sporano head coaching thing yet? Huh? Are ya?

31. By obewan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

You people claim to be jet fans, you should be ashame of yourself.
    The old saying with friends like you who needs enemies.

32. By GaryC on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom, right now the nfl bigwigs and media are treating Newton like they use to treat vick,the guy could do no wrong in their eyes,but still hasn’t won a thing.Let’s see how long the love affair with Newton lasts if he doesn’t win.

33. By halalentertainment on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Can the jets sign Jabar Gaffney or Donte Stallworth or And Jeremy Shockley cut wayne hunter and pouha we will save money cutting pouha kendrick ellis is great.

34. By danny on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

PLEASE stop with Vince Young. The guy is just like Tebow and has no business being a NFL QB. That is why the Titans first cut him then he lasted one yr in Philly and was cut and now couldn’t make the Bills squad I mean they chose T Jackson over him. That says it all ppl. No way do we bother with Young. We should look for the best available blocking TE. That would be a huge help for us. I agree with a lot of others on here about Ellis. It’s gonna be tough to take that big man off the field. He keeps getting better and better. Our D is NASTY. Were not rebuilding with a top 3 D like we have. If the O line gives MS time like last night we will put up enough pts to win with our D. I do wish we had a better RB tho

35. By danny on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Folk scares me but he definitly out kicked Brown. I can always remember Brown being erratic thru the yrs too. Between the 2 of them Folk no doubt deserves the job

36. By Bennett on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

You are not going to ground and pound with an O line that can’t make holes and a 3rd round back like Greene as a numero uno… will not happen. You aint going to have a powerhouse passing offensive machine with a #30 and little brother # 32 as your QB”s. So they got some trick plays for Tebow that are secret huhhh… SHHHhhh.. secret ooooohhhh…Thing with trick plays is the usually only work once and if the get stuffed you look totally ridiculous. So what to we got here? Major problems with the offense that a direct snap to Tebow lined up as a back is not going to help, nor having Greene run into a human wall all game long nor having Sanchez running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

37. By Howie D on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I spent years lobbying for Shotty’s head. It’s only preseason, but there’s very little evidence to suggest that we’ve improved at OC, even by Shotty’s standards. SAD! T’baum has also been a drag on us, and it’s frustrating to know that we’ll only get worse before we get better, due to his cozy relationship with Mr. J. Sparano is not ready for prime time, he’s an OL coach, just ask Miami. I’ll be the first to say I’m wrong, but unfortunately, I think we’re in for a long bumpy ride. Fasten your seat belts!

38. By DKM on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

A little summery of my own to Sunday nights loss, not all was bad compared to the last 2 weeks, Sanchez had a much better game than most give him credit, that he was chastized by he his recievers wasnt his fault and i think in couple of weeks Holmes, Kerley will have enough reps that it will take care of some issues, Hill is a Rookie and only will get better so some of it is excpected, also encouraging was Landry, i for one wasnt convinced that he will be a contributor, but let me tell you how wrong i am, if he can stay healthy, and Cromartie at times was outstanding. So overall there are some things to look forward to but i dont wanna be to overly joyfull just to be beat down in a couple of weeks against the Bills, well and we still lost

39. By Howie D on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I’ve listened to Namath over the years, and he often said he deviated from many of Weeb’s calls and did his own thing. Sanchez is no Namath, at this point, but I’m willing to see him do the same. He can’t possibly be worse than these ‘offensive masterminds.’

40. By DKM on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

and it would have been nice to have win just for the confidence of the Team,

Now to Tebow there is no way that he will ever be more than just a situational player and i hope Mark stays healthy the whole season and plays well cause one think is sure Tim is not even close to be a Backup QB in the NFL and i mean this with the utmost respect to the Person Tim Tebow cause there is at least a dozen QBs in the NFL who could use his HEART and DEDICATION to the GAME.

Sorry to every one of the People on Sunday night incl. in my section who just where screaming for him to come in and do exactly what? show how good a QB he is NOT, im glad you will not be there doing the regular Season good ridance.

41. By DKM on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

scjoe im surprised about Stallworth being cut agree with you about the over the hillpart, but given our fragile WR situation and the fact he was with Pats for little while and might be able to give us a little scoop i would pick him up

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Hey GaryC, that was a 67% approval rating for CLOWNEY, as you probably figured out. Blinka, I bow to your judgment, insight, and toughness both on and off the field as always. But I dare to correct you: I don’t post negatively, I post realistically. The negative posters in my view, sadly led by Ira, are those who can’t face the truth about this mess of a franchise. Why that is, what that says about the fragility of their ego infrastructures is a topic for the shrink that the Jets have on staff, or at least I hope they still have her on staff because this org and team need a complete change of mindset. Anyone who DOESN’T see the many things wrong with this org and team and doesn’t dare say much more than “Go Jets” is living in a dream world.

43. By danny on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Wayne Hunter has been traded to the Rams. Maybe Tebow really did bring the football GODS over to our Jets. Thank you lord

44. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Karan, Arte keeps telling me that we’re gonna have a “mini-draft” as soon as all the teams get down to 53, but my instinct is closer to yours. Oh sure, we’ll pick up a couple of scrubs who’ve started 3 games in 6 yrs in the league, guys about whom Rex will say, “Actually, we liked him a lot in his draft yr,” etc. But I doubt we’ll get anyone major now when we didn’t do a thing about the RT situation at all for 8 months. Woody seems to like to come on all sunny and warm but it’s hard not to get the feeling that he said okay, you can have Tebow as a PR diversion but I’m not spending big on this edition of the team till I see results — and if I don’t, a lot of you are gonna be out of a job in 2013. No other explanation makes much sense.

45. By Howie D on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I say we skip tradition, and this ‘dress rehearsal’ stuff and let the first-string Offense play the last preseason game, and have Sanchez throw only bombs. Yes, bombs baby! Win or lose, pick or no pick. Bombs, Bombs, Bombs! LIne ‘em up, spread them wide, even get Cro into the act. Bombs, Bombs, Bombs. I’ll bet we’ll score a TD or two, and get the fans on their feet in the process. Sparano, you have my permission, do or die, Bombs, Bombs, Bombs!

46. By Frank on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Ho Hum….I am re-thinking my forecast for this season. I think 4-12 is more like it. This team is a complete disaster. WHERE IS SHOTTY!!!!!!!!!!!! and Callahan!!!!! Instead we got Rex and Sparano and the worst ) record for preseason in 40 years!!!!!!!!
    I told ya’ll it wasn’t Shotty’s fault the Rams O is doing great….better than gang-green anyway.
    What a great trade!!!!!!!!!!!! Huh lets see we dump Hunter and his 2.5 mil salary and p/u the O version of Gohlston in Smith for 4 mil….GENIUS!
    Maybe they will cut Slauson’s salary some more!

47. By DKM on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I still dont know why anybody here want aknowledge, that our LEFT side on the Offense is still not performing up to par and gets away with it, sundays sacks came thru the left and Brick and Slauson had collective breackdowns with both players missing there assignments, but nobody incl. the Press wich is very fast in pointing out the misscues on the Right side and cant stop pounding the coaching stuff about HUNTER says something, figure that one.

48. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

What did I tell ya? I sure wish the horses were as predictable as this org. The only thing this proves is that nothing Mr T says about the roster, when he says anything substantive at all, is ever worth taking seriously: “In 2009, the Rams made Jason Smith the 2nd pick, 3 spots ahead of where the Jets drafted quarterback Mark Sanchez. At the time, the Jets were concerned because they thought there was a chance the Rams were going to pick Sanchez. Concussions have limited Smith to only 29 games (26 starts) over three seasons. The former Baylor standout suffered a severe concussion as a rookie.”

49. By DKM on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Hunter for Smith, Smith for Hunter either way same difference clearly salary dump good for the Jets, well either way both of them will be out the league within a couple of years.
    Trust me Rams Fans are as happy about that nonesense trade as Jets Fans are.

50. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Jersy Joe – And we took kyle wilson over Rob Gronkowski , an all American

51. By scjoe on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Re: the trade for RT Jason Smith…Can you say Jeff Otha?

52. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Howard was blocking like an Animal out there , I think we found our replacement …Maybe Hunter could switch to tight end , If he can catch , He’s not much help blocking …

53. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

GaryC – You are dead on , in looking for a tight end….We have needed one, or two for years ….

54. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Tebow could play tight end , might as well get some use out of him ,..and line him up to run , and we could do some pass option plays …even a pitch right and then he could pass it back to the tight end on that little goal line play ….

55. By 4ver hopeful on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Is there any doubt that Landry was the best player on D last night? He seemed to be involved in every run stop. Quick to the ball and a solid hitter.

56. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Has anyone taken a close look at the economics in the Hunter/Smith trade? Can there be trouble on the horizon? Lets ask Moore and Slauson about that.

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

By the way, another thing Rex is totally wrong about, and it’s more evidence that he’s not HC material: You don’t go crazy on the #1 pick after his first start no matter what he does, but especially if he plays well and is surprised that you’ve asked him to play the whole game. This is of a piece with Rex making jokes about McKnight getting sick and nagging Sanchez from the first day he got here that we have to win a Super Bowl NOW. A good HC understands that these guys are highly-paid kids, only a few yrs out of high school, and sets long-term, step-by-step expectations for their progress. A bad HC doesn’t know how to do this and instead tries to reach his players by getting a tattoo and acting like a kid himself.

58. By IRA on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

They did Hunter a favor getting him out of here. He didn’t deserve the abuse he took from the fans. he is a great guy and i wish him well. Lets see if they can get smith’s career back on track like they did with Maybin.
    Folk i thought woould lose the battle to Brown but he earned it fur sure. Baker is such a huge loss and will be hard to replace.
    Last week i wrote i thought Gaffney would be cut and he was. Its a no brainer he should be signed today and that would upgrade their WR core and then while Hill has his ups and downs [you know he will] at least they will have a veteran to turn to.
    GO JETS!!!!

59. By GaryC on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

this trade for Jason Smith sounds to good to be true,I know he has been a bust so far,hope there are no draft picks involved.Does Shotty love Hunter that much.Hope this isn’t another Jeff Otah situation.Are the jets really that comfortable with Howard seeing they are bringing in Smith,and he isn’t being brought in to be a backup.

60. By SCfromNY on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I like the trade for Smith. At least the Jets are trying something and maybe he will be this years Maybin. Speaking of Maybin, he needs to slow down a little. He is going so fast a small move by the QB and he misses. Yesterday I said if thePats release Stallworth the Jets should pick hin up. Gaffney I believe has an injury and we have enough of that. RBs can be found, I believe a team in Texas did pretty well with an undrafted RB. Check out all the RBs released especially those you know expect to re-sign with their teams. I would love to see if Tebow could play TE. He would be as popular as Gronk. I understand Wilson was taken ahead of Gronk but these things happen. 3 QBs were taken ahead of Marino in the 1rst round.

61. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

We had this on going debate Eli vs Sanchez. Stared out simple : Eli was bad but turned into an elite, give Sanchez the same time. Makes sense. Then it turned into a who was worse debate. Than the stats reared thier ugly head. Fact is they were both bad Sanchez remains bad. However if we count only full seasons and drop Elis first year which was a disaster, sudden trade to Giants ,did not play untile Nov., pulled halfway into a game and savaged by fans and the idiot media and compare full !st seasons something becomes very evident THERE IS REALLY NO COMPARISON, Sanchez was not, is not and will never be in the same class as Eli in spite of the benifit of the #5 piclK and total support with a good team Now lets take a closer look at Eli.

62. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Jet Fan Tom, once again I’m with you. I understand our fans who are upset with our opinions, Nothing wrong with being positive,I respect them for standing behind our team that’s OK,They’re not ready for reality . We face it at the expense and in spice of the love I’m sure you have as I do for this team, They’ll find any way to explain away how truly bad Sanchez and Tebow are, Let me ask our apologists a question, Rex comments on holding out keeping O under wraps, Sanchez we’re saving best for season, Then why was Rex shaking his head uncontrollably on the sideline watching this team execute . he knows like we know Tom

63. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Eli always showed from the begining the potential Sanchez never has, or ever will

. FIRST FULL year,11-5, NFC East champs, top 5 in TD’s threw 4TD’s against the Rams had 352 yds agains San Dieago

SECOND FULL year awful however did show what he would become against the Eagles had 371 yrds and 3 TD’s
    THIRD FULL YEAR again showed what he would become 28-41 312 yrds 4TD’s against Dallas went to Super Bowl, won Superbowl, won Superbowl MVP

FOURTH FULL YEAR NFC East champs, NFC offensive player of the month with 1036 yrds and 10 TD’s named to Pro-Bowl

64. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Cont. they just aren’t ready to accept it . I understand Blinka, bleeds green, I understand Ira bleeds Green both fans through and through and believe they’re hurting as much as I am . Ira the glue trying to hold down the fort props . Danny hasn’t a glue but reality will set in by seasons end that’s if he’s willing to admit … So now let me end in saying if I’m WRONG I will apologizes to all I have offended which BTW I know some won’t believe I’m am hoping , until then I’m staying the course unless Mike -T and Rex make some drastic moves in correcting the situation.

65. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Eli has NEVERr thrown less than 20 TD’s since his first full season NEVER, Sanchez has done it once due to Plax. In 7 full seasons Eli has led his team to and WON TWO SUPERBOWLS and was NAMED MVP of each along with 2 PRO BOWLS; Last season he had 4932 yrds with 29 touchdowns. Does anyone in their right mind think Sanchez WILL EVER come close to what Eli has accomplished in his first full 7 years? SPICER find another lousy QB to compare to Sanchez, this dog don’t hunt.The writing was on the wall for Eli from the begining all you had to do was look throught not at the stats… some times the blind you to the facts. Eli from the very first full year showed the potential to be an elite that Sanchez never has.

66. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Jet Fan Tom 64… Rethinking that whole Sporano as head coach thing yet?

67. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Blinka I care what you think… your a funny guy

68. By Rick Roucoulet on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I guess the least of 2 evils has been chosen between Folk & Brown.
    Is there a Rex Ryan interview after the Carolina game? (I havent seen it if there is). Just curious the excuses that will be flying for NOT A SINGLE TD. Does it feel like the offense is even motivated? or is this Sporano offense a joke??? Yeah it’s preseason & i’m hoping they are saving thier game & suprises for reg season. But even w/that said, i’d say that is for whatever plays are drawn up for Tebow but the WR for both QBs seem to have cases of the dropsies. Neither Sanchez’s nor Tebows offense seems very explosive. Not to mention Greene can’t get up the field. PRETTY SCARY FOLKS!!! I have my fingers crossed for an opposite reg season than preseason

69. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

MJV, from what you’ve said about yourself on the site, it’s obvious you’ve been through some tough times and epic battles and both survived and triumphed. To people like that, acknowledging the enormous problems on the Jets is child’s play, and what’s more people like that have learned that denial gets you nowhere and clear-eyed realism is ALL. Bennett, I never said that Sparano should be HC or would make a good one. I said that Rex is such a terrible HC and is so on track for utter disaster this yr that Sparano will come in handy as an interim HC when we don’t know who our QB should be, don’t know where the team is headed, but desperately need to do something. I see that happening around the 2-8 point this season. Nice pts on Eli, too.

70. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

SPICER I can anticipate your barrage of stats and the well concieved and reasoned counter to my Eli posts already. We are at Sanchez’s 4th full year by the end of Eli’s 4th full year he had won a Superbowl, won Superbowl MVP, won offensive player of the month, won 2 NFC East titles,and been named to Pro-Bowl and he was just getting warmed up. What has Sanchez ever done ? NOTHING Will he catch up this year? We would have to win our division get to Superbowl, win Superbowl, have Sanchez MVP of Superbowl, have Sanchez named to Pro-bowl and get offensive player of the month and …. HE WOULD STILL BE SHORT ONE DIVISION TITLE…end it….end it now… end it forever

71. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m willing to bet if this trade Hunter for Smith go’s though, knowing how Mike -T and company operate, we will be giving and STL will be getting far more under the table then us, Bennett could you explain that to Danny as well, he can’t seem to grasp that concept either. comparing Sanchez to Eli, I won’t bring up mentioning his name in the same sentence as Brady.

72. By GaryC on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Jetfantom,unrequited love for Clowney,you need to break away,it will only tear at your heartstrings.He has left you for another and another,he is not coming back.I would rather get one of those barmaids at your local watering hole that you talk about.they might catch the ball better too.

73. By Karan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Yea I agree Jet fan 64, I don’t think this “mini-draft” will be a big deal. It would probably consist of some back-ups who would ultimetly get cut.

74. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Some things I never liked about Sanchez. He thought he was so good after one year that he skipped his senior year to enter the draft, his own coach said he was not ready and we fell for it. The fact that as unproven as he was we traded to draft him #5. The fact that he never learned under a vet was never developed for the NFL but was handed the team on a silver platter It was no surprise to me he has turned out to be not very good. He is a warm weather, very slow starter,horribly proned to turnovers, reacts poorly to pressure, has poor pocket preesance, slow to read the field, makes poor decisions, plays scared and does not have the leadership skills nor has he earned respaect.of the team. I apologize again Schotty

75. By Karan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Ron alexander, no I’m not taking it the wrong way haha, appreciate your opinion. On Josh Baker, I just think its a bad loss because he was supposed to be a versatile weapon. Ya know, like play FB, TE and maybe even WR at times, a good No. 3 option. Also I read somewhere that Sparano wanted to use 3 tight-end packages. There were great reports about him from training camp and his progess at both TE and FB. But its really unfortunate that the injury happened. Thats just the nature of this sport, 100% chance of being injured at any time.

76. By Karan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Its funny how all the former Jets who lets be honest, were pretty bad at their game ended up in St. Louis. : Kellen Clemens, Brian Schottenheimer, Wayne Hunter, Mathew Mulligan. I for one am glad they are gone. The only one I do miss who was talented and veratile in his role as an O-lineman is Rob Turner. He was just great, wish the Jets had re-signed him. As for the other four, good riddance.

77. By James Schindler on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

It seems to me that the Jets have been using the pre-season to help tebow grow as a quarterback. I truly doubt that he will be dropping back to pass 20 times this entire season, let alone in a single game. The left side of the O line had a few breakdowns, but the right side has always been extremely weak. Maybe having a new surrounding will help Smith and our O line as a whole.

The only real positive I have seen is that the Jets defense has been playing pretty well. The pass rush isn’t spectacular, but holding Eli to only field goals and holding every other team to under 20 points is fairly good.

The main issue with our offiense has been the O line as a whole. Sanchez is not getting the time to throw.

78. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Just to illustrare how stupid the comparison of Eli to Sanchez is, Sanchez has thrown 300 or more yards 3 whole times over his first 3 seasons 3 WHOLE TIMES IN 3 REGULAR SEASONS. Eli alone last year in one regular season had 7 300 or more yard games incld. 3 GAMES OVER 400 YARDS. Does anyone here seriously think Sanchez is capable of anything close to this ? EVER, I for one would like to hear from you.

79. By GaryC on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

now braylon edwards says the rookie qb at seatlle is better then sanchez,I guess so much for you guys who wanna bring him back to the jets,a lot of these guys just can’t seem to help themselves knock a guy once they leave,Burress,Edwards.I guess braylon forgot about the one that bounced off his noggin in Toronto,nice catch.Keep practicing your cartwheels in seattle seeing you won’t be getting to the playoffs which you did get to with Sanchez.

80. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

WE ALL called for Schotty’s head, we all called for Hunters head, alot called for Mulligans some blamed Plax, others Leonard. They are all gone now…. who we going to blame now ?????

81. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I don’t seriously want Clowney back, GaryC, I was just annoying you. Bennett, we should blame the three who’ve always been to blame, Woody, Mr T, and Rex. Karan, I agree with you about the scrubs that we’ll pick up who’ll make little difference but again, I don’t see this as a yr in which Woody’s opening up the checkbook. And yeah, Karan, Schotty’s just trying to do the same thing Rex did when he tried to make a big deal over Scott, Leonhard, and Douglas, none of whom was ever anything to write home about, just Rex’s hometown boys.

82. By IRA on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Frank, Thank you i have said for years Schotty is a good OC. But sometimes you just have to move on and make a change. Thats not to say Sparano won’t have success lets just wait and see.
    Karan, Oh yes all teams miss the boat once in awhile and the Jets did that with R. Turner.

83. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Tell you why stats can be meaningless at the worst and misleading at best. Take interceptions for instance QB A had 21 interceptions last year QB B had only 15. QB A is by far the worst as indicated by this stat. However QB A threw the ball 640 times for a 3.3% interception rate where QB B threw the ball only 320 times for a 4.6% interception rate. So who is really the worst? Than you can go on from there… but QB A threw 5 that were returned for TD’s while QB B only threw……and on and on .. could go on forver and ever…on and on… but only 5 of QB B were returned for more than 5 yrds while….. crazy.. it’s like Mendlebrot Fractal Geometry on and on for infinity

84. By GaryC on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

It is funny how you never hear how bad Sanchez was from guys like Cotchery,Smith,Woodhead,It is always from the TROUBLED ONES,the ones who can’t keep their noses clean,who need to stir the pot and who might be forgotten unless they make some stupid statement.Well,they can keep sipping those Starbucks coffee where they are and watch the speed limit.

85. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

J-Co is too classy to trash anybody, Smith couldn’t catch more than three or four passes a year from anybody despite endless attempts to become a WR, and Woodhead has made clear he has nothing to say about the Jets, including about the HC who praised him to the skies and then cut him to keep CLOWNEY, then cut CLOWNEY! So you’re really making mountains out of molehills, GaryC, there’s no mystery why those guys don’t want to talk about Sanchez. Fact is, almost nobody wants to talk about Sanchez, not even most of the folks on this site. And after this year when he might end up on SEA or STL, we might not have to anymore.

86. By Jersey Joe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Think EVERYBODY here needs to take a deep breath and remember: the year the Detroit Lions went 4-0 in preseason and looked like a playoff caliber team they etched their name forever in the hall of shame going 0-16 when the games counted. PLEASE STOP with the “we miss Shoddy-Martinhiemer ” chants already. Anybody else here want to see TT at TE? FB ? HB ? Specially now with Baker out – wouldn’t it be amazing if Tebow can catch? Hell I’d have him working the JUGS machine a couple hours a day (right next to HILL) if nothing else Tebow is an athlete and a pretty decent open field runner – maybe THIS is the special ops secret weapon they’ve been waiting to unleash on the NFL :D
    Tebow is probably faster and more elusive than Keller or Greene

87. By kleckofan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

it just keeps getting better…
    Jersey joe suggests we all take a breath, good advice. While you’re taking that breather look up an article in the NYT by Steve Almond titled: “Why Does Anyone Root for Incompetent, Failing Teams?” The guy is a Raiders fan so I don’t really believe he has the right to whine (I’ll take three SB’s!), but the article describes a lot of what goes on w us diehards and its funny. We should be able to step back occasionally and see how insignificant this stuff really is.
    But enough reason…man, we are a joke of a front office. One error compounded by another…that cutting Woodhead to Keep Clowney then cutting Clowney is us in a nutshell! Fire Tanny

88. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Gary C You don’t hear from a lot of players because they have class and bring a certain dignity to the sport, they do not beleive in the cheap shots that the idiot media hungers for. I was surprised at the comments from, of all people, LT lost some respect from me. Can you imagine what Holmes would say if traded ?.

89. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I”M GETTING A HEAD ACHE, reason why all our passed receivers are voicing their opinion on Sanchez , Plax Edwards etc. because now they can, before they couldn’t, why didn’t Rex or Mike -T deal with Holmes after he gave up on the 2 most important games last season, I understand the frustration of Holmes Sanchez couldn’t hit or find him in a closet, problem is he’s paid to do what this team asks. Like I said these Million dollar Babies need to grow the heck up shut their mouths do their jobs…

90. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

KARAN, excellent, I would never want to mess up anyones mello! You Ira & Danny are always so positive I love you guys! Me, I’m more like S.C.Joe, hopefull but skeptical!BLINKA, I’m with BENNETT, I care too! Dudes, Smith for Hunter is a no brainer. Hunter looked like a beaten man and between the fans and media beating up on him he really needed a change of scenery.As for Smith? If he is over his concussion issues there is a chance he can help us.If not he can be waived injured and we can reach an injury settlement and move on to a more viable player who can help us.What we do still need is a W.R and at least one T.E. Baker is done for this year and Keller’s injury is question?

91. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, you have to ask yourself why BE did not “attack” (for lack of a better term) Rex, or T Bomb, why Sanchez? Maybe because he truly believes in what he said, that Sanchez NEVER displayed the awareness and the play making ability that a rookie is currently showing in Seattle. Last time I looked, that’s what thousands of people are saying, many in the know.

92. By danny on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

MJV don’t come after me with ur jibber jabber on here about having a clue. You have proved to everyone yes ur a life long fan but no ur not a football guy. To say Rex shows were not hiding anything by shaking his head on the sideline OMG that is hysterical. Of course if his players can’t pick up a first down needing 1 yd on a quick basic gut up the middle then yeah he will shake his head out of fustration. I guess he is supposed to be laughing on the sideline when we don;t convert a short yardage run because we haven’t ran 80 percent of our plays. Not that I agree but knowing Rex he thinks he is fooling other coaches all the time so yes I do believe there is a lot more to our offense. Ayy ya yyyyyyyy MJV LOL

93. By Ed in Tucson on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Ever since I heard that the Jets traded for Tebow I’ve been hoping they would run him as an H back with a passing option. MS has been improving his completion %, despite too many dropped balls. Tebow in the same backfield would give him a potent weapon that would bring the opponents’ D up, opening up passing possibilities.
    The feeling I’m getting is that what’s being called the Wildcat package will be much more than that. I think the quick paced spread offense that Oregon, among others, runs is more like what we’ll see once the season starts.

94. By danny on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley was released today. I would love to pick him up

95. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Just read a scathing article by Fox Sports. QUOTE ” Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum has general managed this team into a train wreck” went on to say “He is dangerous” I said quite a while back if this season is a disaster the blame will lie with T-baum he has more than proven himself to be way in over his head and the party most responsible for last season and if this year goes bad this season. I also said if he goes down he will take alot of good people with him, and he will

96. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

James Schindler gets the understatement of the week award QUOTE ” The left side of the O line had a few breakdowns. I would say when you give up 7 sacks in one game you have had more than a ” a few breackdowns ” Where do we send the Wayne Hunter jersey James?

97. By carl on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

GET CHRIS COOLEY!!!

98. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Jersey Joe, I think the only logical thing TO DO is play TT at TE, HB, FB, or anywhere other then QB. I was under the assumption that he had come a long way with his foot work, his throwing motion and his overall mechanics during this past off season. Looks like that did not happen. If anything he looks like he has regressed since last season. The question I have been asking is, where is the b/u QB? McElroy is clearly not ready, they don’t even give the kid any reps. Tebow would be a disaster waiting to happen.

99. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Cooley was just released from the redskins.. Good pick up or bad?

100. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

OBEWAN, come on dude, you cant come on here out of the blue and call people out as “bad fans? If you actually take the time and read what is posted here you will see that 99% of it is well thought out comments based on facts. Fact 1- the organization is charging in the top % for season tickets! #2 we are a PSL or stay home team. You either buy one or stay home.For an organization with a predominently blue collar fan base is this a good idea? 3-team managment has done little to improve the team. The G.M has proven to be totally incompetent and yet he is still the G.M? and finally,this years team will struggle to win half its games.Are we supposed to be happy about that?
    Give me a break dude!

101. By Jack on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I would like that to see that as well TE, Chris Cooley was released by the Redskings today he only 30 year old I’m sure he can still play. Come on Mr T you are not done fitting this jets offense they still needs some help. i still would like to see another RB, from some get pick up by the jets.

102. By kleckofan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Bennett- I read that article on Fox too. For the rest of you, check it out on the Fox Sports Website, its titled “Sanchez-Tebow are just a distraction”. Like Bennett said, it is scathing and points directly at Tannenbaum. For those of you who continue to call “the realists” on here negative and non-fans, read this article. It is what and where are franchise is, no punches pulled.

103. By GaryC on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe,you know what it tells me about Edwards and some of these other prima donnas,do not burn bridges unless you know you are not coming back,then it is open season on anyone and everyone,It is like follow the leader,one person throws dirt on sanchez,then everyone else follows.they didn’t have the guts when they were winning.

104. By GaryC on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Don’t worry Jetfantom,if Sparano doesn’t get this offense going my number one choice is still out there FASSEL.

105. By GaryC on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Bennett,many of these guys need to hear themselves because eventually they will be forgotton,there play has disappeared so they need something to draw attention onto themselves,so they open their mouths with outlandish statements and maybe hope to get a reality tv show with the kardashians.

106. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

You have to love John Clayton’s analysis of mark Sanchez in his breakdown of starting QBs over on ESPN.com “If Tim Tebow takes red zone snaps away from MS he will wind up with more INTs then TDs”. On the surface it sounds like good logic, but should it be? By the way, Clayton has Sanchez ranked 23, just one spot above Andrew Luck who hasn’t even taken a snap in the NFL (reg season) yet, and 2 spots ahead of RG3 (ditto) Danny?

107. By kleckofan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I thought some of you might not have the initiative to go to the article mentioned by Bennett (cue Jack Nicholson’s “you can’t handle the truth!”), so here are some teaser quotes from it:
    “The Jets do not have a quarterback problem. From the owner to the general manager to the coach, theirs is a failure of leadership.”
    “They have confused attention with talent, headlines with performance, hype with Lombardis. The Jets are emblematic of everything that is wrong with America nowadays. We like the shiny and the loud and too often ignore substance.”
    Bam!

108. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

With this trade Hunter to STL should be called , NY Jets west . Having Schotty,Hunter, Mulligan, VG, Turner, Clemens. to name a few. anyone want to bet dinner, Rams finish ahead of NY Jets east, in every Offensive category, I’m even giving up the edge, all mentioned were a non factor for us , lets see how they respond in a new setting . Danny, are you OK bud, I assure you I’ am not coming at you, just laying some reality on you, sounds like your losing it some ?

109. By SCfromNY on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Bennett agree with your comments about Sanchez and Eli. Sanchez will never be elite but there is a slim chance he could be adequate. He needs to stop helping the other teams O with interceptions or fumbles. I also think Cooley would be a good try. If healthy he would be a better than average upgrade. The problem is many posters feel that picking up other teams cuts is a step back. Other teams may be loaded in a position we need and their cuts could be as good as our starters. While Stallworth has some issues the talent is there and i would assume he would love to stick it to the Pats. The overiding problem is will good cut players want to go to the Jets? BTW I looked up ground and pound and nowhere is it described as 3 yards or lessm per ru

110. By Karan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley! Chris Cooley! We seriously need him! Baker goes down, in comes Cooley! Make it happen Tannenbaum, before the patriots add another TE to their already 100 TE spot.

111. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, scjoe, GaryC has trouble figuring out why Edwards might not think all that much of a QB who walks off the field after throwing 5 picks with his head on Edwards’ shoulder, like a lost little kid. Bennett, I almost posted from that Fox Sports column by Emily something about Sanchez vs. Tebow as a distraction from Mr T’s ineptitude. But the whole piece was so brilliant, I woulda had to post the entire thing to do it justice.

112. By Bennett on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Lets see what else did I discover when I compared Sanchez to Eli ? In three full seasons Sanchez has had a grand total of three whole games of 300 yards or more in a game THREE IN THREE FULL SEASONS. Eli had THREE IN HIS FIRST FULL YEAR alone. Eli was bad no doubt about it The fans and idiot media savaged that kid while Sanchez gets a pass and is in fact extented . The owner Mara even publically questioned his abilities but that kid was a diamond in the rought and he took a god awful pounding but never quit. The signs were all over the place that he was going to be a good one. He always had a strong arm even when he stunk. Sanchez has had flashes and only flashes he has shown absolutly nothing to suggest he will ever even be an average QB

113. By SCfromNY on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What I am wondering about. Why the big secretcy about the Wildcat? One of Buffalos coach was with Sporano so it will not be a surprise. If the first games was the Pats fine. But after the big unveil they have 15 more games. They are doing all this for Buffalo? I applaud Scott for trying to get faster but he still looks SLOW. Will another opening day surprise be that we can run wide instead of into the wall the other teams are creating? Lastly Rex always has a positive outlook but his sideline expressions say more. What makes him think all of a sudden the O will come alive? There is always many “first to last” in the NFL but the Jets are not the Texans or 49ers. TEBOW IS NOT A QB!!!

114. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, but that didn’t answer the question why Sanchez and not Rex or T Bomb, those that were responsible for him not being here? Usually sour grapes are directed at those responsible, not innocent teammates.

115. By Eric Smyth on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Cooley however as a backup TE would probably be an awesome addition to the team… always a team guy and is definitely a gamer

116. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I’ll take Fassel any day of the week, GaryC.

117. By GaryC on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom,just ask me what edwards was saying before the title games about sanchez,was he telling him he was lousy then.

118. By Tom spicer on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Bennett, you picked Elis best games for those 4 years pretty easy to do for any qb. In disney with the kids so I don’t have the time nor do I care enough to respond. But I will leave you with this YOU continue to bring this up &wont let it go.

119. By danny on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe take a look at Clayton and tell me the guy ever buckled a chin strap ??? i doubt he even played soccer so for you to mention this guy he holds no water at all to me bro. I laugh when that dude says anything about the game of football. I have 0 respect for the dude. I honestly don’t value anyone’s opinion that never played the game on any level and especially a guy like Clayton who probably couldn;t throw a football more then 5yds LOL. Anything anyone says about what will happen this season means absolutely nothing at all right now and that includes yours and my opinions. They are just opinions that is it. Did anyone expect the Giants last season to win the SB especially after the Saints embarresed them hanging up 50pts on them

120. By Charliejet on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Is it possible that both Tebow AND Sanchez both be used in a wildcat at the same time !? I wouldn’t doubt it with the Jets…….

121. By danny on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

See i know some of u guys are very negative but I look at things as a whole and after the first 2 preseason games which our O line was putrid I seen progress last game vs the Panthers. You can’t listen so much to the media because 90 percent of them didn;t even watch the game they just seen ohh the Jets didn’t score again they were pathetic and that is far from the truth. We took a step forward this past week and hopefully solved the RT spot. What a difference with a lil time to throw, Now our WR’s need reps because 2 out of our top 3 haven’t got any reps. Lets hope we come out strong and beat the Bills and keep getting better. I actually felt much better after the Panthers game and seen we are capable of being a good team

122. By Karan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Eh, ya know what? The more I think about it, the more I think we probably don’t need Cooley. What we need is a blocking tight end, not a receiving tight end. He’s a great player and I would still like the Jets to sign him. Makes for some excellent depth, I mean imagine, Keller, Cumberland and Cooley on the same roster? Wow.

123. By Kevin on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Chris Cooley is now available I think we should make a move and sign him good hands good blocker just what we need to go with Keller.

124. By GaryC on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,why is it that guys with good character usually stay with one team during their career,at most maybe two,while others need constantly to play russian roulette to see what team they will go to next.Edwards has been on four teams already,stallworth,T.O,chad johnson.There are enough Father Flanagans in the Nfl who think they can work with these guys but most find the error of their ways.Nowadays you are better off with a less talented individual with better character then the other way around.

125. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Cool your Jets on Cooley guys. Even if Tanny wants to sign him there are other teams that have to take a pass on him first.When a player gets cut he is put on waivers. This starts a process where the teams who finished with the worst records last year get to claim players first(like the draft. )In my opinion(and thats all it is!) Cooley will be in scapped up long before it is our turn to claim him.Now, if he is available I would love to have him on our team.I’m reading quite a few posts here denouncing the idea of picking up players cut by other teams. Lets be real guys, we are not in a posisition to disregard an opportunity to improve out roster.WoW!Colts got Vontae Davis for a #2 pick.
    What a steal!

126. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

BENNETT, dude, you know we all love you, but isn’t it time we move on to more relevent topic’s than Sanchez? Kind of beat’n a dead horse here my man.Between Danny and S.C.Joe and you and Spicer I think we’ve said all there is to be said about this topic.Lets all agree to disagree and move on to more fun stuff like trying to figure out a way to ship Tannenbaum to the Dolphins so he can be on Hard Knocks and screw up their team too? Hey, did anyone see where the Dolphins traded Vontae Davis to the Colts? I dont know about you guys but I’m glad we dont have to face him twice a year anymore. That dude was tough!

127. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Danny,you know what? You may be right about Clayton and a lot of the other “experts” as well. But let me ask you this. When was the last time ANY of the experts, and you have to admit, some are credible, had Sanchez in their top 20 when grading starting QBs. Answer NEVER. That tells you all you need to know. And those “experts” I am referring to include former players. See the forest through the trees my friend.

128. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, answer…Guys with good character DON’T always stay on one team. Joe Willie 2, Montana 2, Favre 3 just to name a few. Besides, Edwards for example didn’t choose to leave and go with another team, he wanted to stay, our illustrious GM made that choice for him, and by the way, it turned out to be a bad choice. I am not a big fan of most of those head cases, BUT, if they bring their A game to the field on Sundays I really don’t care about what is in their heads Monday through Saturday. Example, TO, he NEVER had any personal issues, or NFL discipline, he just wanted the ball. Like Keyshawn.

129. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, your second post about Edwards puts the lie to your first. He never overly praised Sanchez or anyone else on this team. In fact, you’ve obviously forgotten the way he started talking around November of 2010, when he’d barely been on the team a month, about how some guys didn’t want it badly enough and weren’t playing hard enough. Frankly, I always thought he was quietly referring to Sanchez, among others, when he said that, as he couldn’t have thought that laying your head on the shoulder of your WR while walking off the field after a 5-pick loss was an appropriate response for an adult, much less a starting NFL QB.

130. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

And you can also stop dreaming about “character” being more important than talent, GaryC, and just start facing the reality that you need players with talent and character and they, like most great players, can be hard to find. The list of departed Jets who we finally had to admit weren’t good enough is invariably a list of guys with great character — Leonhard, Smith, the lost-a-step J-Co, it goes on and on…

131. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

your right Ron. I said all I am going to say to Danny re: Mark Sanchez. That is of course unless he fires back with some more of those off the wall comments like MS played “GREAT” against the Panthers.I find it very difficult not to respond to a quote like that one.

132. By GaryC on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,read my post,guys with character usually stay with one team,SOMETIMES TWO,BUT NEVER TOUR THE NFL LOOKING FOR WORK.

133. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, read MY post Brett Favre THREE TEAMS. And I am sure if I do the research I will find more (both ways)

134. By Howie D on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I take no pleasure in saying the Fox piece on T’baum is an echo of what I’ve been harping on. Many of us fans came to that conclusion a while ago. From Shotty, to the players he let go, to giving away more for less in negotiations, it’s obvious he’s lacking. Hopefully, he won’t screw up the Revis contract, IF HE’S STILL HERE.

135. By danny on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe i never said MS has been ranked below top 20 because he hasn’t bro. What I feel on MS is that he will never be elite but could be a solid winning QB if he has the O line and last yr he didn’t. Th first 2 yrs he won in the playoffs but yes he made bonehead rookie mistakes. He made them last yr too but he could have been a lot better then what he was if he didn;t have a dinged up O line and Wayne Hunter. We seen the same the first 2 preseason games then last game he had time and played as good as he can with the plays that were called and yet had 3 drops. He finished 11 – 18 with 3 drops bro. Don;t tell me NFL WR’s drop balls so that happens all the time. A pro wr is not supposed to drop balls but ok 2 were from a rookie

136. By danny on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

And ur rite Ron ppl need to stop with MS right now because this preseason he was the least of our problems and we all know I’m rooting for him as he is my teams QB this yr and Scjoe will never ever root for the guy and wish him well because he didn;t agree with drafting him. Guess what I didn’t agree with drafting him either but once we did I root for him. MS should be given a chance this yr to take the next step and Hunter being gone should be a big help. I said before the season with Ron if he doesn’t take the next step then yeah he has to go but he has ability so if the line blocks lets see if he takes the step. Not rip him apart every time you come on this site like Scjoe does LOL. I heard more about MS then Wayne Hunter for 2 weeks

137. By danny on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Just so u know Scjoe I’m hoping Mac plays great this week and I believe if MS don;t step up he can be the guy but I also look at the big picture and Mac couldn’t light up the scoreboard with Wayne Hunter as his RT. BTW you should be putting Tebow and Vince Young in the same catergory because they both are not NFL QB’s. Now Ron u are correct about Cooley he will not make it to us before getting picked up of waivers. I didn;t think of that. Tom64 I’m am with you 100 percent on Hill we gotta let the kid develop because he has the abilty and once again I know Scjoe hates to hear it but you can’t teach size and speed. You can teach route running to perfect it and you can work on improving a WR’s hands but 6 ‘5 with 4.3 speed is worth time

138. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

That was 2009 when Edwards started talking about guys dogging it, GaryC, just a typo there. I don’t argue with you about the “tour the NFL” pt but I sure do about character over talent. Of course, if lack of character gets in the way of a player’s effort, that’s a different subject entirely. But like scjoe says, plenty of guys aren’t terribly cool, bright, or evolved on the street but can light it up on the gridiron.

139. By GaryC on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,first of all Favre had Rodgers ready to take over,that is why he was gone from the packers,same with Montana,Young was ready to take over,that is a little different then a guy who is released for causing problems.

140. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

GaryC. Yes, Rodgers was more then ready to take over for Favre, and Young was more then ready to take over for Montana, but all I did was answer your initial question “why is it that guys with good character usually stay with one team (sometimes two) their entire careers?” And my answer was, “they don’t” I know your position on “head cases” for lack of a better term, and for the most part I even agree with you. BUT, let me ask this, when was the last time any sports team won a championship of any kind, solely with a roster of choir boys?

141. By SCfromNY on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Danny, Sanchez may play well and I hope so. What bothers me and I am sure many other fans is the abundance of 1rst and 2nd year QBs who are playing well and not waiting for their 4th year. I will attempt not to post any more negative Sanchez comments until after 4 games. I hope I won’t need to then.

142. By GaryC on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,give me the problem child on the forty niners championship teams.

143. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

danny, since boldly deciding between Namath, Huarte, and Taliaferro at QB, the Jets have gotten less and less bold about sinking or swimming with the guys they’ve drafted. But instead of getting better at this, under Rex they’ve gotten worse. So yes, I’d start Hill in every game this season and I don’t care how many passes he drops. Same with Kerley in the slot. And in case GaryC missed me the first two times, I’d be fine with trading Holmes for picks and letting Turner, White, and anybody else fight it out to start opposite Hill. That kind of wide-open development of our young guys is what this yr should be about and if it isn’t, those who don’t agree with me will regret it when we finish 4-12 no matter who we start. We look DREADFUL!

144. By GaryC on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

JetFanTom,yes I might of missed that post where you are willing to trade holmes,finally you have seen the error of your ways,I keep telling you Headaches eventually lead to Migraines.

145. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I’m all for trading Revis because it’s clear he’s itching to get out of here anyway and since we’re not going anywhere near the SB anytime soon, there’s no pt dreaming of building a team around him. Holmes can go for the same reasons. Mangold is much more the kind of guy you want for 15 yrs and he’s so good he might be able to stick around until the next SB-worthy Jet team. We have a ridiculous if unstated competition between 2 overrated QBs while our 3rd QB has more poise, brains, and instinct for the game than the first 2 put together. Clearly, we have nothing to lose — except Mr T and Rex, whom we should lose ASAP — by experimenting as boldly as possible this yr. We need a lot more quality draft picks for several yrs anyway.

146. By SCfromNY on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Holmes is not the greatest WR but give him a QB who can find him and see what happens. Most NFL players make good money. Some are really overpaid and I think that is what Tanny does. He assumes that if he gives a decent player who has a name or an early pick he will improve. All that said it is an emotional game and if you don’t have coaches or leaders that can excite and motivate your team you will lose even to inferior teams that have that fire. Finally when the Tebow mania slows down Woody sya he can’t have enough Tebow. Is he stupid or mad that Tebow headlines are slowing?

147. By GaryC on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom,remember when I said trade Revis to the patriots and people were killing me,reason giving was they had many picks and if you could get four picks from them and draft wisely you have four players as opposed to one.

148. By scjoe on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

GaryC…Terrell Owens, Lawrence Phillips, Bill Romanowski. Those are three that come to mind. I am SURE there are others if I took the time to look.Now, let me ask you one. Who was the problem child on the 1-15 Jet team under Kotite? How about the 0 for the season Detroit Lions?

149. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Woody’s as big a joke as Mr T, SCfromNY, and he should sell the team to somebody’s who’s actually interested in its W-L record.

150. By Jet Blue on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

JFS64Tom: Love your posts and tenacity. Your opinions are based on history, facts and great insight. All these arm-chair cheerleaders obviously don’t understand modern day sports and football. Look at teams in any sport and they all have something in common – an organization that understands how to win. All we really need to know about Rex is what we saw in the preseason game against Carolina. With 1:20 to go in the half and 3 timeouts, Rex runs out the clock. This offesne could really use the work when it comes to clock management and trying to score at the end of a game or half. It was a preseason game. Why wouldn’t you try? Because Rex hasn’t a clue and has no confidence in his Q

151. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for your support, Jet Blue, and yes, another hallmark of the Jets’ flaccid O under Rex is this inability to execute, and sometimes even attempt, two-minute drives to get pts on the board at the half. Well, here’s some more Jet history that Arte and I were talking about the other day: It’s in the Jet DNA, going all the way back to Joe’s multiple-pick games of the ’60s, to fear INTS and fumbles to the pt that you don’t play aggressively on O. This was, of course, part of the story of the Jet playoff loss to KC and many times we look like the same team, only minus an elite QB. That’s one reason I champion the O’Brien-to-Walker days, because for awhile there we looked like a modern NFL team on O but haven’t consistently since.