• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Mike T: J.Smith-for-Hunter Trade Now Official

Posted by Randy Lange on August 28, 2012 – 6:55 pm

Updated, 8: 10 p.m. ET

Mike Tannenbaum this evening gave reporters the ultimate final official word on the trade that sent Wayne Hunter to St. Louis and brought 2009 second-pick-of-the-draft Jason Smith to the Jets: It’s official.

“I want to thank Wayne for everything he’s done,” the GM said .”I really wish him well, and he’s going to see a lot of familiar faces in St. Louis. We won a lot of games with Wayne. And with that said, now we’re looking forward to Jason.”

Tannenbaum said Smith, entering his fourth NFL season, could play “a couple of snaps” in the Jets’ preseason finale at Philadelphia on Thursday night. But Mr. T stressed that the plan now is that Austin Howard, who replaced Hunter as the RT starter on Sunday night against Carolina, is the starter going forward and Smith is the Jets’ new backup LT and RT and blocking TE.

Why didn’t Smith succeed as a Ram? “It could’ve been a number of things,” Tannenbaum said, “the coaching change, some inconsistencies there. For us, it was more about what we think he can do. He has very good movement skills for somebody his size [6'5", 308], he can play both sides, we like his range. Again, I think he has to learn from what happened in St. Louis, but with that said, he’s coming here with a fresh start.”

Some reporters probed the GM on if that fresh start could lead to a fresh starter down the road. A natural question given Smith’s high draft status, but Tannenbaum, while stating only the current plans, gave the background that led him, head coach Rex Ryan, offensive coordinator Tony Sparano and OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo to giving Howard the chance to win the starting role.

“That was an evaluation that was going on in Cortland every day, watching Austin in 1-on-1s,” he said. “It’s good to have the competition we have, to go against Aaron Maybin, Calvin Pace and Quinton [Coples] every day, and Austin was really starting to hold his own more and more. It’s like, ‘This looks pretty good. OK.’ Then he goes out against Cincinnati and looks OK. Then the Giant game he played pretty well. Then obviously there were more reasons to be encouraged against Carolina.”

Speaking of Maybin, Tannenbaum would sure like to see Smith blossom into a success story as has Maybin, the 11th overall pick in that ’09 draft who enters his second season as a Jet as one of their biggest big-play makers on the defensive side of the ball.

“Sure, we hope so. Sometimes they work out that way,” he said. “Sometimes a change of scenery works, sometimes it doesn’t.

“Aaron deserves all the credit for Aaron. He’s worked incredibly hard, he’s a great person, he comes in with great enthusiasm. And Jason’s set up for success. His work ethic and character are tremendous. All the research we did on him leads us to believe he’s going to come in and give himself the best chance to be successful.”

Injury Rundown

Rex’s rundown on the injured Jets’ availability for the Sept. 9 season opener vs. Buffalo:

“My biggest concern will be Eric Smith, I think, right now. That’s probably our biggest concern with his hip.”

“I feel good about [Jeff] Cumberland, David [Harris], Yeremiah Bell and Dustin [Keller] with his hamstring. Unless something happens there, we feel pretty confident all those guys will be ready to play.”

WRs Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Kerley and Chaz Schilens: “I think all three will play in the opener. Schilens seems to be getting better each day. It was good to see Tone out there [vs. Carolina], and Jeremy did a nice job on punt return.”

“Sione [Po‘uha], by the way, I think he’s doing much better right now.”

Practice Notes

This evening the Jets announced they have been awarded punter Spencer Lanning off of waivers from Cleveland. Lanning, the first-year man out of South Carolina, lost the Browns’ punting battle to ex-Jet Reggie Hodges, but actually had better numbers than Hodges in the preseason with a 50.5-yard gross and a 43.5 net on four punts. “We brought in a punter who’ll compete with T.J.,” Tannenbaum said. “I wouldn’t rule out further changes between now and Friday and probably through the weekend.”

Joe McKnight was excused for personal reasons from today’s practice. … G Brandon Moore underwent a minor medical procedure and was also not at practice.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

92 Responses to “Mike T: J.Smith-for-Hunter Trade Now Official”

1. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m going to pop a blood vessel if Mike-T gave Hunter and pick for Smith and all we get is smith, I have a question concerning one injured player in particular. Sione Po’uha I can’t remember him ever being completely healthy since he arrived. can someone enlighten me please?

2. By scjoe on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

What about the concussion issues with Jason Smith Mr T?

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

McElroy will not only throw for more than 150 yds, Randy, he’s got a shot at throwing for twice that. The guy didn’t have a bad snap all last summer.

4. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I for one am happy …Howard looked great out there …More steps in the right direction , THANK GOD .. Our defense is going to be terrifying

5. By Tom spicer on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

It’s amazing how everyone is praising Landry now we got him I said if healthy he was the 2nd best player on our D &i was mocked cause he got hurt the prior 2 years now everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon. Sorry that’s going to take a spicer you we’re right post before I let that slide none of which I saw by the way. Also I see a lot of praise for eliis on the board I was saying 2take this guy in the draft that he was a monster & many guys on this site ripped me for that as well. That year I said we needed a nt to replace Jenkins it didn’t matter cause pouch a went on to have a career year. But let’s see who recalls this.

6. By IRA on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I like Howard’s potential but wouldn’t be surprised if he is the starter real soon. Just keep in mind that before they start to sign a player or two keep in mind that if its a veteran they would have to guarantee the 16 week salary if signed before the opener. After that the salaries are not guaranteed and the player gets paid week by week.
    As for Cooley well he clearly is not the player he once was. Has missed alot of games the past 2 out of 3 years. If the price was right i would take a look but the one thing that is keeping me on the fence about him is that he probably can’t contribute on ST’s anymore and thats an important role for any backup. He would be a nice replacement for Baker this year if they decide to sign him.

7. By Bennett on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

HOLD ON PEOPLE Do not panic we have a mirror image of Eli in our Sanchez. He just has a little catching up to do but in the next 4 yrs we can expect 2 division titles, 2 pro-bowls, 2 superbowls, 2 superbowl mvp’s along with an offensive player of the month and a season with 7 games over 300 yrds with 3 of those over 400 yrds. Just hang in their if Eli did it than Sanchez will

8. By SCfromNY on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Well I was hoping for Stallworth or / and Cooley and I got a punter. Isn’t a little late to have a punting duel.Perhaps the Jets are counting on so many 3 and outs that they will need 2 punters. I think Hill desearves a big chance. Jerry Rice explained how it is not that easy to go from college to the NFL at the receiver position. While it would appear easy there are so many nuances. A RB can adapt quicker. Even against the 2s and 3s I hope McElroy has a good showing. However perhaps Ryan doesn’t know what a good QB looks like. lastly what will it take for the Jets to admit Greene is not the answer? A quality backup and change of pace but that’s all. GaryC usually like your posts but FASSEL? I am also a Giant fan and you don’t want him.

9. By GaryC on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

the jets have done a very good job this year of upgrading the speed and youth into their team but why is it we are still going to see Pace,Scott and Thomas when the year starts as our starters.Is there a linebacking group in the NFL that has three guys over 30 starting.

10. By IRA on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Gary, Funny you wrote that i thought Mauga played very well after Harris got hurt and McIntyre has had a good summer. It will be good to see a lot of davis tomorrow night. I think Scott has had a good preseason and will make plays but they still can’t keep him on the field on obvious passing downs. He will have to play at a high level to fight off davis from taking his job.

11. By Chicago Bob on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Im not here to defend Tanny as I believe he is poor in contract negotiations but when the smoke clears, he may have done a pretty good job. We know a RT was needed however this team had a TON of holes to fill and they did not have the luxury of trading up – did the smart thing and took the best athlete at the time. Our pass rush was awful (Coples). We needed help at WR (Hill). Our LB’s may have been the slowest in football (Davis). Our safety position was a mess (Landry, Bush, Allen). A QB to push Sanchez (Tebow). If you remember, Jerry Rice was a work in progress – I am not saying HIll will be the next Jerry Rice however lets give him a chance. Still a lot of work to be done – more depth on the OL, a pass rushing OLB, stud halfback, punter

12. By dave on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Pace or Thomas will give a lot of snaps away to maybin and scott will give way to davis.

As for the RT position, Wayne Hunter’s ineptitude had the Jets at 50-1 to win the superbowl ods. Now we have Howard who is young, enormous and seems to have struggled early in his career because he couldn’t keep below 360. Now he is down to 330, and after singling him out and watching just him on every play vs cincy and carolina, I gotta say, this dude can flat out play, and he is a monster run blocker, which is what we need to ground and pound. Back that up with a former 2nd round pick, who seems to still have a good deal of unrealized potential, I am feel much more confident.

In short, I am taking the 50-1 now that we have real RTs!

13. By Bennett on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Spicer…. you took all the fun out of it.

14. By dave on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Furthermore, Let’s give Jason Smith one of those oversized bubble helmets already. One of the ones with extra padding on the outside. Who cares how it looks, they reduce concussions by a huge margin and maybe the guy will be able to make something of himself.

15. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, It would be nice to see Maybin-Davis-Harris-McIntyre/Sapp on the field. But the last two guys haven’t seen much of them but I heard Sapp has alot of upside. That unit is a combo of speed/power. Scott looks good against the run, but his coverage skills against RB has taken a huge slide.

16. By Bennett on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

For you younger fans that might have listened to Chris Collinsworth the other night and know he played but what you might not know is how really good he was. He looks like your 6th grade math teacher but this guy was crazy fast and as tought as nails. He was (is) 6’5” skinny as a rail but a relentless physical player who made some of the best, toughest catches I have ever seen. He always seemed to be in a brutal tangle of bodies but always seemed to hold on and come up with the ball. One of the greats for my money. .State Champ in High School in the 100 yrd dash, 8 yrs with the Bengals, caught 36 TD’s in 107 games

17. By GaryC on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

scfromny,anyone who can get kerry collins to a super bowl is all right with me.Tom Spicer,I also remember many guys at the time loved Phil Taylor too,many wanted him over Ellis.as a matter of fact many wanted him over Wilkerson.Phil Taylor was the beast as I heard many times.

18. By GaryC on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

what is this garbage about sanchez not being able to play in cold weather,wasn’t it cold in the wildcard game in cincinnati,wasn’t it cold in the championship game in Pittsburgh when he threw the bomb to Holmes,How many more excuses can we come up with to say sanchez can’t play.

19. By since shea on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Trading a bust RT for another bust RT is no big deal. Who knows, you might get lucky. I still think we need to get a decent backup to Austin Howard. Sorry Vlad. I dont understand why some people are crying out for us to sign T.O. Are you crazy? Another circus side show on this team we dont need. He drops passes just like Hill. Even signing Cooley is a mistake. He got beat out by three other guys and couldn’t even make back up full back! Why take other teams rejects? Lets stick with and develop our own instead. Lastly, I hope bringing Tebow here was to light a fire under Mark. It cant really be for a cutting edge wildcat offense (LOL) nor was it for a legit backup QB. Whose idea was Tebow? I bet NOT Rex. Either Woody or Mr T. Your thoughts?

20. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

GARYC great point, Tanny will cut 2 or 3 young L.B’s to keep the 3 30+ guys who continue to demonstrate they are too slow in pass coverage.SPICER, I was one of the Landry doubters and right now it looks like “you were right and I was wrong. If he stays healthy he will indeed be a force.Of course, that is a big if ? Earlier this year I was not a big Ellis supporter but again he has won me over and I really think Rex would need to have his head examined if he benched him for Pouhia! No way I take a guy who blows up the opponents backfield out of the game for a run stuffer! IRA, i didn’t understand your point on Howard? he is the starter at this point!

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, when Landry and any other Jet safetys actually shut down the Gronks and Hernandez’s of the league and we win the game, I’ll consider getting excited about him. Of course, here in Jetland, a QB who puts 12 pts on the board but can’t get the team into the end zone from the 7 is said to have played “great.” GaryC, the LB situation is a good illustration of how Rex is afraid to and bad at developing young players. If he was such a defensive genius, he would’ve told Mr T not to re-sign Thomas, traded Pace, benched Scott, and would put just Harris and all the young guys out there this yr. It’s not like it’s gonna matter come January.

22. By kleckofan on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

As I said when they announced Austin Howard would start vs Carolina, if he’s better than Hunter why didn’t we see it in camp? Now Tanny stand in front of the media and professes to have seen him during 1-on-1′s in Cortland and says he did OK against our DE’s. Really? What did you see from Wayne at the same camp? Listen to Tanny talk about talent evaluation makes me sick; stay in your office! I am really rooting for McElroy to play well so maybe someone recognizes he is the only legitimate back up option.
    Spice- you were right on Landry, there you go. I thought you were begging for the Jets to take that NT out of Baylor, if Kendrick Elis was on your radar before the draft then huge kudos to you.
    Fire Tanny (hire Spicer)

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

And by the way, scjoe, picking up on your post from the other story, do you think there’s any virtue to be found in pretending that this team ISN’T horrifically mismanaged? Tell you what: You bet on the Jets doing well this yr by picking up a couple of scrubs from other teams and I’ll bet on the Jets not doing well until we have a new owner, new GM, new HC, elite QB, and a fiercely determined attitude to win rather than just spin, and we’ll see who wins THAT bet. That story about Rex wanting to “see the young guys compete” makes me sick, it reads like a press release from some blowhard politician. Rex wouldn’t know what to do with “young guys competing” if they did it to the death on Mt. Olympus…

24. By Bennett on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Gary C I had enought of Sanchez talk he is the starter and I am not going to sit around all season and root for him to fail so I can say TOLD YOU SO yeah told you he stinks. I will not pound him every game if he is in there at least playing hard. You got to respect that. It is a brutal sport I hope he does good because if he does good we win if he doesn’t it will be a long ugly season. I think he is a warm weather QB because I can find no other reason for him being the slowest starting QB I have ever seen in my 50 years of watching football especially at home in the open fridiged air in ole New Yorrrrk

25. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

64, make no mistake!! I know how mismanaged this team is, particularly in the FO. BUT, I still believe they can win (maybe not win it all) but can win inspite of the mismanagement. Players win and players lose, you know that as well as I do.If you took all the bad personnel decisions this FO has made and just give me a Brady at QB, and maybe something that resembles an Arian Foster at RB, and I will show you a winner, mismanaged or not. That is all I am saying. You want an example of mismanagement over the years? I give you the Cinn Bengals. Look at them today.

26. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Just a little off topic here, but important. Does anyone else here see what the consequences could be if they go in to the reg season with these replacement officials? They will, with out a doubt, compromise the integrity of this game we all hold so dearly to out hearts. Games will be won and games will be lost on many, (not some, but many) of there incompetent calls and decisions. I can only hope that the few owners who decided to stand firm are the ones who will feel the brunt.

27. By Bennett on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Now that the season is close lets get some positive energy going. I am totally pleased with our defense. I see Wilkerson becoming a force this year, Couples looks like the real deal and is here to play.The corners will be the best tandum in the league, we will finally be feared in the midldle with Landry etc, Scott is making plays. Maybin looks to be even a better relentless pass rusher than last year with the added bulk and. we actually have some defensive depth. The line looks solid, fit and aggresive. We will stuff the run in the middle. I think we are going to have the best defense in the AFC this season maybe the NFL. We got in Ryan one of the best defensive coaches in the league

28. By GaryC on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,why is it that a quarterback who plays in a spread offense in college has no problems adjusting according to you like Newton,but a guy who played wide receiver in a wishbone like Hill will have a hard time making it.Calvin Johnson, Damario Thomas and Stephen Hill all played in the same offense.If you do things in college that don’t condone to the pro game,why is it a fit for one player and not the other.

29. By GaryC on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

bennett,if you are worried about sanchez in cold weather,tell woody to empty his pockets and put a roof on the stadium.

30. By SCfromNY on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

GaryC I hate to disagree again but it’s the Giants not the Jets. Fassel was a horrible HC. Yes he went to the SB with Kerry Collis who in between fumbles throws an awesome ball. He went to the SB and got crushed by Trent Dilfer and the Ravens. I agree about not picking up a teams rejects but not all cuts are rejects. As for Cooley we don’t even have a healthy TE reject. Can Smith possibly be worse than Hunter? I beleive we once had a “reject LB” who played LB really well but unfortunately gave us Brady.Years ago Plunkett was rejected out of NE and won SB with the Raiders. Some rejects are good. Just stay away from big names at the end of their career. “Win Now” rarely works. Ask the Redskins.

31. By GaryC on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Chicago Bob makes excellent points on problems that have been adressed this year,this draft might be Tanny’s highlight,he might want to leave town now,no drafts will be better.If Davis is better then Scott,does Rex have the guts to sit him or cut him,I doubt it.Thomas is a bigger question,how does a guy in his mid 30′s back from surgery still good enough to be a starter with all the praise Maybin is getting,I am hoping to see a lot of Dowtin tomorrow,where has he been.

32. By danny on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Well said about our Defense Bennett and with all the talk about putting up 35pts a game well Baltimore and SF were 1 mistake each away from going to the SB with a dominate Defense and weak offense. We all seen Lee Evans not squeeze the ball in the endzone and we all seen 2 muffed balls from rookie returner playing in place of a hurt Ted Ginn for SF. We can win this yr with our Top 3 Defense and just a decent offense so I’m sorry guys can keep saying what they want but it was still proven last yr that great Defense stills wins in todays NFL. I know I will get ripped by some (tom64, Scjoe) but what I just said is fact and was proven last yr in both Championship games. I can’t wait for the playoffs and see what ppl say on this board haha

33. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, GaryC, and it was plenty cold in the 1st half of the PIT game, when we were down 24-0 and Sanchez looked pathetic. Chicago Bob, I agree with everything you say except Tebow as a QB who can push Sanchez — Orton, Campbell, and of course McElroy would all push him much harder. scjoe, maybe it’s because there are so many bigger things going on at the moment (like the election) but I don’t need to expend a lot of effort to guess how this Jet team is gonna do this yr, and the answer is badly. I don’t see us winning many games, much less being a factor in post-season. So I’m cool with all kinds of trades, cuts, and experiments as (to quote McGuinn’s sarcasm on “I Wanna Grow Up To Be a Politician”) “the future’s ahead.”

34. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

scfromny ,.very funny on the ” so many three and outs we will need two punters ” Let’s hope that is not true ….Concerning the offensive line , At least we are trying to improve with personnel ..We should be able to cobble together some protection for Sanchez ..

35. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

We got some KILLER defensive players , That is one thing I am sure we have improved ….

36. By Dr. Frank on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I still think we have a long way to go, guys. I would be alot happier if Cromartie would start jamming receivers at the line of scrimmage. I agree that we are weak on the OLB position with Pace and Thomas. They are too old and slow. I think we are probably OK on the inside with Scott and Harris. Scott seems to be moving alot better this year with the weight loss and better conditioning. I think our safety position went from a weakness to a strength with our draft and FA pickups. The D-line is as solid as I have seen in many years. Still lots of questions on offense. We need a blocking TE that can catch passes, not a tackle put on the end of the line. I think we are probably ok at RB. I think we need to give Powell a chance to see

37. By Dr. Frank on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

if he can back up Greene and be more involved in the offense. I think we need to see if Greene can do it alone without LT. He has never really been given the keys to the kingdom, so let’s see what happens. McKnight is a good change of pace, I think. Gannaway needs to pick up the offense, too. He is a larger version of Greene, I think and will be useful. I also think they should let Connor carry the ball a little bit. If they really want to ground and pound, why don’t they use a Pro Set backfield like back in the old days? Snell and Boozer? Boozer and Riggins? and the like. Also, I think they should line Tebow up at tight end. He is big and strong enough to play there and has ball skills. I think they should keep McElroy as the #

38. By Dr. Frank on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

2 quarterback and keep Simms to develop at #3 for now. We also need to let Hill and Kerley develop and see what happens. They have to play to get better! Schillens also needs to play more and keep healthy. If they don’t get a chance to play, they will never develop and we won’t ever know what we have at WR. Turner seems to have improved because he has had a chance to play! It would be great to have a veteran WR to help develop the young guys, I grant you that. As for QB, I feel that this is a make or break year for Sanchez. If he plays well, we keep him. If he doesn’t, we have to trade him and draft or trade for someone else. As for the O-line, we still need better depth. Encouraged to see Howard play so well against a good

39. By Dr. Frank on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Carolina defense, but still do not know if this trade is the answer. Hopefully, Smith will find this fresh start to his liking, but I still think we need better quality backups all along the line. As for special teams, Mike W. will always keep us as one of the top units in the league. Not sold on Conley as punter, but was not sold on Weatherford either and look what he did once we released him and the Giants got him! Let’s see what happens in the “punt off” this week. I doubt there will be a change this late. Still not sold on Folk. He beat out Brown, but still think he will choke when the pressure is on. We shall see, we shall see….Hopefully, it will not be a horrible season. I think the Defense will keep us in just about every

40. By Dr. Frank on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

game. It will be up to the offense to score enough to win them. That, my friends, is going to be their albatross this year. Hopefully, they will keep throwing downfield to Hill to loosen things up for the run game and he will use his size to his advantage in the end zone area. That’s all for now, let me know what you guys think.

41. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Worse part of having a good defense, is having a bad offense, When you don’t score points, Defense get no rest.and prone to injuries, not to mention wanting to kill them, I am hoping this offense gets it going, Thing is our issue isn’t only at QB,we’re thin at the skill positions WO RB and TE, I’m afraid even on the off chance Mc Elroy gets his shot, he’s going to need more help then we can give

42. By AK_Jet on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Jet Fan Tom 64- your name is misleading. Maybe you should replace the adjective fan with pessimist. We were 8-8 last year! A complete rebuild is not in order, I don’t agree with every decision or draft pick (coples over ingram) but sometimes I don’t know as much as a think I do. Maybe you should come down off your pedestal and quit reading the press clippings from the drama inducing N.Y. media (ex: Rich Cimini).

43. By Jake on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Since Shea, I’m going with Mr. T’s idea to bring in Tebow. I remember watching an interview with Tanny shortly after the Tebow trade, and I remember him saying “When we saw that Denver was looking to trade him, I looked around the room and saw two different head coaches that lost to him last year. He could definetely help us.” I think Tanny sold Woddy on the whole idea and Rex was told to deal with it no matter what he thought. I’ve played out every scenario that could happen with Tebow this season through my head and I cannot seem to figure out how anyone in the Jets front office could have seen this move as being a good idea. Money and puplicity had to be the only motivating factors in this move. It’s the only thing that makes sense

44. By Jack on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I think Jets should make WR’s Santonio Holmes no# 1 receive Stephen Hill no# 2 I know he had a few drops ball but in a mather of time he going to get better real better. If they go with Jeremy Kerley as the no# 2. I would hope they will mix it with Kerley and Hill. and for the no# 3 Chaz Schilens even know I haven’t see much of him they could mix it with Schilens and Turner as well too. Now for the RB’s Shonn Greene no# 1 back. Bial Powell the no# 2 backs and Joe McKnight the no# 3 backs. BUT! Some how I would really would like to see the jets pick up another back from somewhere.

45. By GaryC on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

scfromny,I am not saying Fassel for head coach,I am talking coordinator,don’t know if you know this but when Elway was at Stanford he tutored him,that Raven super bowl team,no one was beating them,let alone Kerry Collins.I bring up Fassel because jet fans want more offense and Fassel can be a good pick.

46. By RON ALEXANDER on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

DR.FRANK, Nice job dude!A little lengthy, but well said my friend. I think the vast majority here agree with pretty much everything you said.Jake, welcome to the “Lets ship Tanny to Miami so he can be on “Hard-Knock’s Fan club! A bunch of guys here on Randy’s blog have mentioned a article on Fox Sports web sit discussing this very topic. I think all Jet fans who care about the team need to read this article. It sums up the whole mess perfectly! AK-JET, why you hating on my man 64? The man is calling em like he see’s em! That is what we do here.Grammar,spelling and yes even negativity when warrented are all o.k here as long as you can back it up with facts!Fact is,this organization has not assembled a good team at this point!Sorry dude…

47. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, the press isn’t commenting on the replacement officials because they’re always trying to protect the inept commissioner and fans and players aren’t commenting on it because they know he’s inept. Hey danny, unlike Sanchez, Smith threw almost no INTS on that “weak offense” and put plenty pts on the board when it counted. AK_Jet, I’ve always read everything I can about the Jets including that chick who used to explain football to wives in the Shea program, Eleanor something, I think. But it’s “fans” like you who are okay with 8-8 and don’t see what a complete makeover this org needs who impede progress. Like many have written lately, mediocrity seems to be okay with the Jets. Well, not for those of us who remember Jet greatness.

48. By Dr. Frank Falcone, Jr. on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Glad you liked the assessment, Ron. We have to see how things will play out here. Remember, final cuts are this week. There still may be some gems out there that may help us to plug some holes for the season and get added depth. You can’t jump off the ship because of preseason! No game plans, lots of experimentation and I am sure a lack of motivation for the vets to some degree. As for the organizational makeover as some have suggested, sometimes fans are too impatient! Players need to play to develop just as coaches need a little time to get things the way they like them to be able to win consistently. We had winning records for 2 out of the last 3 years. When is the last time that happened??? Parcells, I think went 9-7 in year 1

49. By Dr. Frank Falcone, Jr. on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

and 12-4 in year 2. His last year he was 8-8. Kind of similar to what Rex, Mr. T and Woody have done so far. Be patient for another season or two and lets see how this regime pans out. If no playoffs the next two years, then it’s time to say goodbye and start from scratch….

50. By GaryC on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

JetFanTom,let’s get real,if you blinked you might of missed jet greatness.

51. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I’m not so sure that QBs who play strictly in the spread offense in college have NO problem adjusting to the pro offense. I would say some may, most can not. As for Hill? It isn’t so much what offense he played in in college as it is how little experience he has as a WR. Again, I don’t have a problem with Stephen Hill the rookie WR. I have a problem with where he was drafted and what other needs were more critical at the time. IF, the NY Jets had 2 or 3 veteran WRs ready to start the season instead of depending on a rookie WR with 49 total receptions in his entire college career, it may have taken some of the sting out of the pick.

52. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Danny, I think there are two ways you can look at those two championship games of last season. One is, as you mention, Balt and SF were one mistake away from going to the SB with their top defenses. But the second one, the one that actually happened is, both teams that DID get to the SB BOTH had elite QBs and very good to great offenses. And THAT over the past decade or more has been the norm, not those with top defenses. Now, i’m not debating the fact that a team with a great D can’t win it all, just stating the facts as I have seen them.

53. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the support, RON A, and thanks for the lengthy and insightful analysis, Dr. Frank! Yeah, GaryC, Jet greatness was fleeting but I might add that when it occurred, it was built on a voracious, frighteningly effective passing game — something that’s more appropriate now than ever, but we’re stuck with an inept HC who doesn’t even understand it. Don’t get me started or I’ll launch my next crusade after the one for Curtis Martin as owner — O’Brien as QB coach and Wesley Walker as OC! (I’d nominate Joe for any of those jobs but he’s never stepped up and said he wanted to run this team, maybe Starr’s experience in GB scared him off.)

54. By SCfromNY on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Yes great defenses almost took 49ers and Ravens to the SB which a Harbaugh vs Harbaugh would have been cool. But both QBs struggled during the year but stepped up in the playoffs. Smith outdueled Brees. They also had Rice and Gore not Greene. Speaking of which the slow start affects Greene because he needs carries to play better. So by the time we are down 21 and have to pass he is ready. Hopefully someone will cut a gem. GaryC I will agree about Fassel as OC. Thinking about him as HC gave me bad dreams.

55. By John , 40 year fan on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

We should be able to win 10 or 11 games looking at our schedule …That should get us into the playoffs …

56. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Dr Frank, I am not sure how long you have been following the NY Jets, and although I agree with a lot of what you had to say, I would have to question the part about the fans sometimes being to impatient. Speaking not only for me, but I would think many long time Jet fans as well, we have been more then patient, much, much more then patient. Over the years I have seen other clubs with worse winning percentages build through the draft and go on to trump this club. I have also seen many teams with better winning percentages then this club do the same. THAT my friend falls on the front office. It don’t take years and years to do. History has taught us that. All it takes is a competent FO. For the record, I am a 52 year fan.

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, scjoe, if I have one quibble with all of Dr. Frank’s great analysis today, it’s the accusation that Jet fans are impatient. Any Jet historian knows that fans of this team have put up with MANY upsetting things MUCH longer than most ANY other fans — let’s just start with the post-SB Hess ownership, for instance. Or the decades-long mistake of leaving our own stadium for one that will never feel like ours. Right now, we’re suffering thru the regime of a HC who couldn’t be more clueless in the face of the historic changes in the game that are taking place on offense. Patience is one thing, meek, timid tolerance for pure ineptitude is quite another.

58. By AK_Jet on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

64- Fans like me that impede progress? What impedes progress is spreading negativity around and always trying to tear down and rebuild. You’ve held this blog hostage for the last year with your pessimistic view. I don’t know what greatness it is that you remember so vividly? I’ll assume it was our lone S.B. victory, or are you referring to our AFC title visit with Parcells; It pains me that your so bent on running Rex out of town when all’s he’s done in 3 year’s is 2 trips to the AFC title and one 8-8 year. Given our past, it makes no sense to me how you can’t see the forrest through the trees.

59. By Dr. Frank on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

@scjoe, I have been a loyal Jets fan since I was a baby. I am 48 and don’t even remember when they won the Super Bowl, as I was told I watched it, but have no recollection of it. I do hear your pain. When I said impatient, I meant with the current regime. WE ARE ALL IMPATIENT with regard to them getting back to the big game and winning it. Remember, you don’t want to get rid of someone too soon so that they come back and haunt you. I grant you that alot of mistakes have been made in the past, even dating back to the days when Weeb retired. He had plenty of better assistants to make the HC other than Charley Winner, didn’t he? I still think that they need to give this regime 2 years more and if they make the playoffs and do some good

60. By Dr. Frank on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

they should be allowed to stay. I don’t want to get rid of someone and have them do well elsewhere

61. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

AK, I see on the story ahead you’ve calmed down a bit after witnessing the miracle of the Jets actually scoring a TD. That it was thrown by the poised, championship QB that we stole in the 7th round — one that isn’t getting a chance even as Sanchez and Tebow are branding the Jets’ O as the worst in the NFL — should speak to you, but somehow it doesn’t. My guess is that’s because you think loyalty to losers is the same as loyalty to a team. Well, if your definition of success is Rex and his clueless approach to this team, vaya con dios. Sorry if you missed the SB yr, but my definition of success includes O’Brien throwing endless TDs to Walker and running an O as feared as any in the league. Until we get back to that, we’re going nowhere.

62. By scjoe on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Dr Frank, valid points. When you say “current regime” I am assuming you are talking about the FO and not the players, and with that assumption I would say many, if not most Jet fans have already become impatient with this FO under Mike Tannenbaum that has been in place for about six years or so. So, I, for one, would not agree that it is “to soon” to seriously think of replacing this GM AFTER this upcoming season if there is not significant improvement across the board. I think that one of the things that should have already happened is to give Rex, or any HC, more say in personnel decisions, because it has become quite apparent that Mr T is lacking in that area. He is not a “personnel guy” he is more a financial and salary cap guru that Parcells brought in for that very reason.

63. By scjoe on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Just to continue, I think what has complicated things for a lot of fans is the fact that the team did go to two championship games in those six years under this current FO regime. But if you look closely, one of those years it took a couple of other teams who had already clinched playoff spots, and happened to be on our schedule late in the season, to rest most of their starters, other wise? I am not so sure there would have been 2 championship game appearances. Sure, technically they did play in both games, but how do you distribute the credit for the teams success that particular year? How much actually should go to the FO?

64. By scjoe on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

AK_Jet.. Spreading negativity around (by the fan base) will NEVER, in any way shape or form impede progress, not even in it’s highest form, with 78,000 fans sitting in Met Life booing a team that just can not score TDs, particularly in the 1st quarter of any given game. What does impeded progress is a FO that will not, or can not make the necessary personnel moves to remedy the situation. Judging by the 4 preseason games we all just witnessed would you say the situation was remedied, or would you say it remains status quo, or gotten worse?

65. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

The “two championship games” rap is for losers, scjoe, we got lucky getting into both and couldn’t come close to putting together a complete game in either. Nobody but and “optimistic” Jet fan remembers who LOST the championship game, of course, but those games are really forgotten by everyone else when you play badly in them. That would be like Fish fans clinging to memories of Chad throwing terribly and the team getting blown out by the Ravens in his “miracle yr.” (Surprised I don’t hear Rex still talking about that, Ed Reed, etc.)

66. By Dr. Frank Falcone, Jr. on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

@scjoe. I am as impatient as anyone and am sick and tired of all the drama surrounding the team, Rex’s big mouth, bringing a circus to town with Tebow, etc., etc., etc.. However, everything needs to be in harmony to have a winning tradition, FO, HC, owner and players. You can have great players, but with a crappy coach, you go nowhere. As for Tanny, I am as big a Parcells fan as anyone. Bill gave Tanny his seal of approval and I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. I know nothing of salary caps and players salaries. I think every team makes an error or two when they draft players, even the almighty Belechick! I think he deserves at least this year before he gets the axe and depending on what happens, maybe another year.

67. By Dr. Frank Falcone, Jr. on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

I think too many people are using preseason to say what kind of team we have. I think we need to wait until week 6 to make a final decision. I want to see how they handle the tough early season schedule. If they really stink, then I will probably be in line to fire the FO and possibly the HC. I just think everyone is way to early on the negativity. There is plenty of time for that. Let’s see what kind of moves they make this weekend and see if we might be able to find some good players to fill some holes. i am sure we can pick up a receiver, RB, O-line, etc. that may be better than what we have. I liked what Powell was doing last night and McKnight, too, without the benefit of a good offensive line. McElroy should be the #2 QB and

68. By Dr. Frank Falcone, Jr. on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

get a shot if Sanchez goes down. Simms to the practice squad to develop. He has a good arm, but needs seasoning. I just can’t be negative yet, as the regular season hasn’t even started yet!

69. By scjoe on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Dr Frank, I guess we have no choice BUT to wait 6-8 games into the season to make any educated determination. I can only repeat whet I had mentioned in my earlier post, this current regime headed by Mike Tannenbaum has been in place for 6 years now. I think the trend has already been established. The trade for Tebow was horrific, and I think it was more a marketing move then anything else, and that is sad, especially for long time Jet fans. Not going out and drafting an O lineman early in the draft was absolutely insane. How do you not address your most glaring need in the draft OR in free agency. Now, with Howard playing “pretty well” “so far” Mr T is gloating, as if he knew it all along. We shall see!

70. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Dr.Frank, You continue to dazzle us with your eloquence! I enjoy reading your posts as they provide hope and balance.On the other hand, 64 &S.C Joe sit on the other side of the see-saw and I must say,their arguments tilt the see-saw in their favor.(at least in my mind!) patience is indeed a virtue, but the current front office(including Woody(PSL) Johnson has clearly demonstrated time and again it is more interested in creating headlines than winning football games.Winning organazatios do not portray them selves as the “class clowns’ like Rex & Tanny!Do you remember the Jets on “Hard-Knocks two years age?
    Do you recall Tanny constantly mugging for the camera’s?Tanny & Woody,riding the stationary bikes? (cont.)

71. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

cont.-Come on Doc, does Tanny really impress you as someone who spends a lot of time on a treadmill or stationary bike?Then there was the whole Revis fiasco?”If you recall, Tanny and Woody got bucco air time as a result of this disaster. Revis wound up sitting out the whole pre-season and yet he wound up getting the deal he originally asked for? Wouldn’t it have been easier,and more productive to have just gotten the deal done early?Let us not forget the pulled hamstring trying to cover Randy Moss in the first game.And 64 makes a great point about PSL stadium.This is a stadium only a very young Jet fan would embrace as their home turf. Although I currently reside in the Poughkeepse N.Y. area, I am a N.Y. city born & raised (cont.)

72. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

cont- and I dont think I will ever be a fan of the N.Y.Jets really being the N.J. Jets?As for Woody J, what exactly has he done for Jets fans other than move into a stadium with a cross town rival and require a predominantly blue collar fan base to purchase PSL’s? Dr. Frank, you and I can afford to purchase PSL’s
    (which I have to date refused to do!) but with not one,but two wealthy ownerships combining on one stadium were they really neccessary? I think not!
    So dont be too hard on us for our lack of patience with the front office.These guys have been screwing this up for years now and I for one am sick of it.
    Geez, I hope Ira doesn’t read this cause I surely dont want to ruin his mello!

73. By Dr. Frank on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Ron, I agree with alot of what you have to say. I think we just need to wait a few more weeks to see what happens. Who knows, they still have the potential to go to the playoffs or super bowl if things go right for them, they don’t have injuries or turn the ball over and play good defense. I could afford the PSL if I wanted to, but refused on principle. I had season tickets from 1985-2009, but gave them up partly for that reason and a move to Northeast PA.

74. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Actually, Dr. Frank, I’m judging this team less on the preseason, though we looked like the NFL’s answer to the ’62 Mets in it, and more on last season, since we’ve done almost nothing that will make us a better team than that in the short run. In the long run, of course, we should be playing every young player and rookie we have to see what they’ve got. But Mr T and Rex have to cling to their dream that Mark’s gonna lead us to SB glory soon or that the league’s oldest LBs are the key to a #1 D. 3-13 at worst, 6-10 at best is what I see for this yr and nobody on this site so far this summer has given me a good argument to expect any better than that.

75. By scjoe on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Ron, maybe we need to give Woody (PSL) Johnson a pass. After all, the NFL is truly a socialist organization and Woody is just trying to keep up with the Jones’s In this case, literally (Jerry Jones) The working class dreams of becoming millionaires, the millionaires dream of becoming billionaires, the billionaires? Like Woody and Jerry? They simply want it all. At any expense, even if it means watering down their product simply because they can. Although I have to believe Jerry is a little more concerned about HIS product then Woody is.

76. By Dr. Frank on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Tom, anything can happen. I tend to agree with you about a losing record this year for a few reasons. However, things could also turn around. They are learning a new offense this year and I have to cut them a little slack for it. One thing I did notice in preseason was that Stephen Hill always seemed to be open and has speed to burn. If he starts hanging onto more passes, our passing attack goes from anemic to possibly dangerous with Holmes, Kerley and Keller. If #77 blocks well, we go from a poor offensive line to at least average as we still do have 3 pro bowlers on it. I think running game although not explosive, will be fine with Greene, Powell and McKnight. What Tebow does for them, I really don’t have a clue, unless Sanchez

77. By Dr. Frank on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

really bombs out. If he does, then we become Denver East. Play good defense, keep games close and see what Tebow does in the fourth quarter. Honestly, if Sanchez chokes, I would love to see what McElroy can do, rather than Timmy. You know what you have in Tebow, but you don’t really know McElroy’s potential. You say a losing record is most probable, but the NFL is a funny league sometimes. I think we have a very solid defense, although too slow at OLB with Pace and Thomas. Scott and Harris in the middle should be ok, although Scott had his problems last year. Anyway, I think they will keep us in just about every game we play and depending on how things go, they may actually be able to win more than they lose. They do have a few bad

78. By Dr. Frank on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

matchups on their schedule that I don’t think they can overcome. Unfortunately, they are the 2 games against the Patriots and the game they play in Seattle, just because it is a hard place to win. Other than the Pats, there is no team that has a great QB and offense that will put up lots of points against the defense. I mean look at who they play. Buffalo and Miami in the divsion should be wins, even with Buffalo’s improved defense. Pittsburgh is beatable, San Francisco will be tough, but they aren’t what I would call a dynamic offense. Houston is tough, but a run based team. Revis can shut down Johnson and we have a good run defense.Arizona and St. Louis should be wins as they aren’t that good. Colts and Jags should be wins, also,

79. By Dr. Frank on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

just because the defense alone can contain them. Then we have Tennessee, a run first offense with a “new” quarterback and San Diego who always seems to have receivers or RB’s hurt, or Rivers throwing picks. In my mind, they only play one elite QB this year twice, and that’s Brady and possibly Big Ben if he has an O-line to protect him. No other QB scares me, nor do the receivers on their teams as our corners can take them out. This is what I mean, we play alot of teams this year with problems, too and it may be our saving grace. I think our defense helps us match up well against alot of teams, especially if we can stop their run game. This is the way I look at it, anyway. You may disagree, but I am not going to be negative unless

80. By Dr. Frank on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

we start doing stupid things like losing to teams that we have no business losing against, too many turnovers, too many penalties, etc. I know our Defense is not the 2000 Ravens, but neither is our offense. I just think there will be lots of very close games early on until they really get this offense going. I just hope Nick Folk doesn’t lose any games for us by missing FG’s because that might be our offense for a bit until they gel. Matchups are the key to our winning and losing this year, more than our seemingly inept offense at this point in my eyes. That’s why they play the games, as Chris Berman says…….

81. By scjoe on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

Dr Frank, I have to admire your optimistic position and your positive views of the upcoming season. Technically speaking, you are exactly right. “IF” all of those things you have referred to come to fruition they can conceivably make the playoff’s. For me, the key word in all of that would be the “IF” Just looking at last seasons play, picking out the weaknesses, seeing how they were, or were not addressed, looking at the personnel moves, and watching the 4 preseason games, that IF becomes harder and harder to attain. That said, is it possible? Absolutely! Is it probable? That is where my optimism fades.

82. By SCfromNY on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

Dr.Frank interesting posts. I really don’t see the49ers as beatable. Their defense is better than ours. Look at points allowed not yardage. Not the most dynamic O but better than ours last year and they added WRs because they needed them in today’s NFL. Heard that somewhere. The same with Houston, a #2 defense and some good offensive talent. Revis can not cover everyone. I will agree that at the start of the game our defense can play with anyone. However after multiple 3 and outs with maybe a pick 6 thrown in the D will asked to do too much and fold at the end. Lastly I am tired hearing about Sporano’s secret offense. There is really nothing new in the NFL. Teams with quality players, backups, and an exciting gameplan will win. No magic!

83. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

DR.FRANK, your posts are a welcome addition to this site.Although I too love your optimism,I caution you to remember 2 things;1- the offence has shown nothing to make anyone think it will be able to sustain drives(let alone put up points!) so the defence will be asked to be on the field for way to much time.My concern is it will get worn down and become ineffective.Point 2-Its been taken as granted that Landry and Bell are a major improvement over Smith & Leonard, but are they?based on a few pre-season games it would appear so, however, when the poop hits the fan we can only hope they are as good as advertised? If they are ineffective or injured now what? I tend to agree with S.C.J on this one, 3-13 to 6-10 at best.Hope I’m wrong!!!

84. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

S.CJ, yeah, I realize I’m beat’n a dead horse on this one. The greed of the owners is a battle we as fans simply cant win. I was just trying to point out how a guy like Tannenbaum can fly under the radar and keep his job inspite of the fact he is probably the worst G.M. in the league? As long as Woody is the owner I dont see this team winning a superbowl. I know Ira wont like this post as it negative but I come here to express my opinion and let the chips fall where cthey may!

85. By Dr. Frank Falcone, Jr. on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Ron, I have to be optimistic at this point. Everyone should be. It’s a new season and everyone is acting like it’s over before it has even started. Yes, there have been some personnel moves and non moves that have upset me to this point. I don’t see them trying to sign or trade for some veteran talent at O-line and WR or even TE. There are some out there that may be upgrades to what we currently have on our roster. But, we have to wait and see what happens when the games actually count. If they stink, which is a distinct possibility, then I will be screaming the loudest about how inept the front office is and how Rex couldn’t coach and offense and that Sparano was a bad hire, etc…. Remember, Denver made the playoffs with Tebow

86. By Dr. Frank Falcone, Jr. on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

last year. They ran the ball, played good defense and made the most of their opportunities in the fourth quarter when it mattered. I think our team is better than Denver’s from last year. Sanchez throws better. Our Defense should be better and our special teams are always pretty good. Also, I think lots of the match ups are in our favor this year, with the exception of about 4-5 games. Hill could develop quickly and give us what we need at WR. I think we have solid RB’s, nobody great, but that should be able to get the job done. No gamebreakers, unless you get McKnight in space like on kick offs. The NFL is a funny league sometimes, so I think we just need to wait a few more weeks to assess what we actually have as a team, FO, etc.

87. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

DR.Frank, As much as I enjoy your optimism I have no choice but to do as you suggest.(unless Woody’s been reading my posts and wants to hand me the keys to the car?) We will see what goes down but I have to tell you, I am no fan of going back in time to the days of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Not when the entire league has morphed into a Don Cor’e’ell airial circus. If Tebow becomes out main weapon we are probably no better than a .500 team. There is an awful lot of tape from last year for teams to look at so the element of surprise will not be there for us.Hey, I hate being pessimistic.

88. By Dr. Frank Falcone, Jr. on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Ron, I agree you to some degree. I would love to see a dynamic, explosive offense to go with our tough defense. However, the team is just not built that way. Rex likes to play ugly football. I don’t care how they play, just as long as they win. Winning is the bottom line. I think we have to get ready for alot of 16-13 or 12-9 type games. Play good defense, no penalties, no turnovers and just enough offense to win the games. I hope that the defense has excellent conditioning because they will be on the field lots this year unless we can shorten games with long rushing based drives. This is how Parcells did it with the G-Men and how the Ravens did it in 2000. There are many “ifs” this season. Let’s wait and see what happens before

89. By Dr. Frank Falcone, Jr. on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

we start building the gallows and start tying those nooses.

90. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Dr Frank/Ron, I don’t want to paint myself as “negative” more like suspicious. I feel that none of the things, or almost none of the things that the average fan saw as weaknesses were addressed. I think aside from Revis, maybe Mangold as well, there are no true superstars on the roster. Yes Landry was signed, but he comes with even more question marks. I do have faith in Rex. One of the reasons I have faith in him is the fact that besides Revis no one else on that defense scares anyone, yet he has had them among the top 5 or 10 in his 3 seasons here. I think that is a tribute to him. But, lets see what happens.

91. By SCfromNY on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Dr.Frank i have to disagree with you about Parcells. He was always a run first type of guy BUT when he needed to air it out he had Simms, probably one of the toughest QBs, Bledsoe in NE, and Vinnie T with the Jets. All QBs that when it came to crunch time they stepped up. Haven’t seen that yet with Sanchez. I hope I will but based on his work I am not optomistic.

92. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Guys, no one wants to be negative. Geez, I remember Joe driving every one nuts here with his negativity.But there comes a point where its very tough to be positive when you see a draft gone bad, (unless you are sartisfied with half your pic’s being cut!) an 0-4 pre-season where we are out scored by more tha 50 points and score only one t.d? Will sombody please tell me what I’m supposed to be positive about? Come on IRA, Danny,Dr. Frank, Spicer,Gary C, give me the good news…