• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Coordinators Press Conference Jets STC Thomas McGaughey, OC Marty Mornhinweg & DC Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 31, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

Smith Turns the Ram Page, Joins the Jets

Posted by Randy Lange on August 29, 2012 – 5:30 pm

Mike Tannenbaum made the first reference to the fact in his news conference Tuesday evening. With the trade for Jason Smith from St. Louis, the Jets now have three of the first 11 players chosen in the 2009 draft on their roster. Smith was No. 2 overall, the Jets traded up for Mark Sanchez at No. 5, and they brought in No. 11, Aaron Maybin, a year ago.

Some ifs are involved here, but if Sanchez takes off this year, if Maybin is launched from his personal cannon and never slows down, and if Smith fulfills or exceeds his role as the OL’s new “sixth man,” the Jets have had one hell of an ’09 draft.

Smith already has an idea about that.

“I met Sanchez one night when we were somewhere, I don’t know where,” the newest Jets vet said in his first get-together with Jets reporters this afternoon. “I kept up with him a little bit. I always thought he was a good guy. I thought he was solid, fighting for what he does. You all know how he is here, but I always thought he was a leader, even when he was at USC, just kind of from his demeanor.

“And I don’t remember Maybin. I remember the name but I don’t know where he’s from. Fifty-one? I know he’s fast too. Learned that yesterday. Very fast.”

Maybin is a fast-track work in progress, and he’s happy to serve as a role model for Smith in this new green landscape that the 6’5″, 305-pounder now finds himself in.

“Why not? Change of scenery helps people out a lot, especially myself,” said Maybin, sitting just a few stalls away from Smith’s new location in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room. “It’s different positions, a little bit different timing, but it’s kind of a similar situation. At the end of the day, a lot of players need that change of scenery.”

Smith, something of a cerebral tackle, used another metaphor to describe his situation this summer with St. Louis and now in North Jersey.

“I appreciate everything the Rams did for me as far as allowing me to be a part of the organization,” he said. “It’s kind of like turning a new page of the chapter. I’m happy to be a Jet.”

So is Rex Ryan. Although the Jets head coach said their intention had been to retain Wayne Hunter in the role as swing tackle and blocking tight end, when the Hunter-for-Smith deal was proposed by the Rams, it made sense to the Jets.

“You’ve got a great athletic tool set if you’re the second overall pick. Jason’s got great movement skills,” Ryan said. “We wouldn’t have considered the trade if we didn’t think he could play those roles. Clearly we think Jason can play those roles. Also, quite honestly, we got a guy who’s five years younger. We feel good about it, and I feel good for Wayne going back with Brian [Schottenheimer, now the Rams OC], where’ he’s familiar with the system.”

Rex said Smith is getting his crash course in the Jets’ scheme, with help from Maybin and others, and that he should play in Thursday’s preseason finale at Philadelphia. “I want to see him for 10 plays,” he said. “I don’t even know if that’s possible. He’s supposed to be a sharp young man. Let’s see what he can do.”

Smith talked about the pressure that was placed on him, as the “second-best player of the 2009 draft,” to “fill the shoes” of the retiring Orlando Pace at tackle for the Rams.

“He was an eight-time Pro Bowler, I believe. There’s not many guys that can do that through the course of their career, let alone play eight years,” Smith said. “I made the statement before that he has his own shoes and I have mine. It’s his life, so I never look at it that way. No disrespect, but a lot of people with a pen in their hand looked at it that way. That’s their opinion.”

Of course, if Smith thought there was media pressure in St. Louis, welcome to New York. He was asked today if he expects to become a starter, which would mean moving ahead of Austin Howard, who just got the starting RT job that Hunter held last year. The new Jet wasn’t going there.

“I don’t make predictions,” he said. “I just focus on what’s going on right now.”

Right now he’s in the mix on the Jets’ OL.

“Beauty’s in the eye of the beholder,” he said, repeating another metaphor he uttered earlier in his impromptu news conference. “To somebody, I was beautiful.”

Rex Cetera

Ryan said he thought “there’s a possibility of John Conner getting some reps. We haven’t really used the fullback.” He may also look at semi-converted LB Nick Bellore and rookie “A-back” Terrance Ganaway at FB as well. … The coach surprised 19 Jets veterans — including QBs Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow, CB Darrelle Revis and WR Santonio Holmes — by excusing them from today’s light practice to attend a six-hour “leadership training seminar” at an undisclosed location in nearby Bedminster. Ryan got the idea after he and his coaches were involved in a similar session in May. … undrafted rookie CB Ryan Steed was waived.

Tags: , , , , , ,

61 Responses to “Smith Turns the Ram Page, Joins the Jets”

1. By wayne on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Good luck to Mr. Smith. Hopefully this turns out to be a good move for him…..and the Yew Nork Rex.

2. By obewan on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

GO JETS!!!
    It seem like some of the fans are to young or have forgot of the pre Joe Namath, Joe Walton, or Rich Kotiite days and all the other bad years in between. Support your team and quit belly aching like a bunch of little balling sibiling’s. grow up! and enjoy what you do have and not what you don’t have..

3. By scjoe on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

64, read Mr Ts first line above. Now, if that don’t prove my theory that where you are drafted means nothing, zero, zilch, then noting will. You can also add guys like VG, Leaf, Carr, Bosworth, Blair Thomas, etc. In to the the equation as well. The other thing I am concerned about with Smith is his concussion history. That is not something to be ignored, not in this league.

4. By GaryC on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

really surprised that Steed didn’t do better,was rated along with Dowtin and Davis as one of the top small college players coming out this year.thought he could surprise,oh well.

5. By wayne on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

If this thing turns into a 0 – 3 start I would expect to see a Terrell Owens signing……..Still the BUF game should prove interesting….It should be very tight. Think this will be a defensive struggle. As in many of the games, Jets will be in striking distance. If they’re unable to close the deal it will be a very painful season, because that type of futility builds on itself………Thing is the gimmick offense has a good chance of working first time out if defense is able to keep BUF in check…………

6. By bill on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Maybe Rex & co. can work the same magic for Smith that they did for Maybin…. It’s a good trade, no lose situation. All upside with no risk. Hunter was done here anyway, one way or the other.

7. By Frank on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I have no problem with leadership school I DO HAVE A PROBLEM when you do it on the eve of the football season!!!!!!! Do it QUITELY during the offseason. What a shame this team has turned ito with Rex at the helm he won with Mangini’s guys and he has turned TanWoody into a joke as well. Look at the personel decisions with Mangini and the same with Rex. Mangini couldn’t coach but he sure made TanWoody look a lot better than they do now.
    Getting rid of Shotty/Callahan combo that worked so well was a huge mistake and Rex owns this garbage now. Clearly Callahan and his zone blocking scheme that helped us lead the NFL in rushing for numerous years was significantly better than Sparano.
    I hate to say this but the handwriting for 2012 is on thewall

8. By SCfromNY on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I hope Smith turns into another maybin. Those of you complaining about castoffs and rejects keep in mind they are sometimes good players. To go to the extreme; if you had Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Arien Foster, and Adrien Peterson one would have to be cut. Ones teams overstock at a position could be real find for us. For instance when we cut McElroy and he becomes a pro bowl player somewhere else.

9. By Bennett on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Willy Joe if you missed the latest dig. “The only reason to run the Wild Cat is if your offense isn’t working” Does have a certain truth to it when you think about it. Concentrate on getting your offense going and don’t reley on or spend to much time on the Wildcat. It is Sanchez that has to be sucsessful for us to win not Tebow. Time and effort should go to working with the starter. Of coarse I meant New Josey for you Josey guys out there

10. By GaryC on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

they talk about guys not making the final roster saying it is a numbers game,then why bring them in.If a younger player has distinguished himself and has done everything possible why not cut the older veteran who will not get better.It will be disappointing if White or Richardson and probably a few others don’t make the roster.I have another problem with the jets coaching staff,Griffin played guard at Baylor and most of the time I have seen him at Tackle,If this prevents him from making team because jets played him out of position this camp that will be a joke.

11. By Bennett on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Last time a team didn’t score a touchdown in the first 3 pre-season games was 1977

12. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Has anyone else looked at the top 50 Jets of all time over on ESPN NY? INSANE! With the exception of #1 of course, I can’t imagine who could have put this list together. At least in the order it is in.

13. By GaryC on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

there seems to be a misconception on how I feel about bringing in guys from other teams,I have no problem with other teams cuts,I have mentioned a few myself,Keep the guy under 30,no red flags and at a position that we need a starter or depth and I am all for it.NEXT TOPIC.

14. By Ed in Tucson on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Does it take Joe Willie to tell you the obvious? I welcome the Wildcat precisely because our O is anemic. If MS could lead our receivers so they caught the pass in stride & pile up theYACS we wouldn’t need to look for other ways of moving the ball.
    Maybe Sparano will design plays geared to MS’ strengths (rollouts) and stop trying to make him what he’s not (an elite, drop back passer). Let’s drop the QB after Tebow’s name, list him as RB & carry McElroy & Simms as 2 & 3.
    I hope my boy Nick Foles doesn’t do too much damage to our D. He’s another Wildcat that the Jets passed on that will wind up being a star. We passed on Gronk for Kyle Wilson. Who’s contributed more to his team? We were too committed to MS to draft a 6’5″ QB who was available

15. By Jake on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I think The Jets D will be able to hold Buffalo in check. The Buffalo Offense hasn’t looked that much better then ours. It will be interesting to see if their D back field can get even better this year with a revamped D line. I for one am scared about the Mario Williams vs. Austin Howard match up. It will be a huge test right out of the gate for our new RT. My take on the offense, as long as they hold on to the ball (No reciever drops), I don’t see much more then about 20-25 pass plays for the Jets O in the opener. Our success against Buffalo has always been the ground game. Even with our question marks at RB, I think we can move it well on the ground against Buffalo. If the Jets play solid D, which every indicator is they will, and…

16. By Jake on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

… (continued) control the clock by running it hard and down hill, Sanchez doesn’t have to win this game, but with Buffalo’s ball hawking DB’s, he can lose it. I predict a close win againt Buffalo 17-14.

17. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Nothing Mr T says about anything should be taken as illustrative of anything but a guy who’s in way over his head, scjoe. I’d much rather listen to Joe Willie on the Wildcat, as Bennett points out — not that you have to be a Super Bowl-winning QB to make the same observation about that worthless formation that he did. Anyway, how anyone in the world can get excited about the Wildcat on the Jets when the only place it ever worked even for a a few games was on a team with two premier RBs is beyond me.

18. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Hey Obewan, sounds like you just shipped in from New England, Because if you expect me to take my family to see a Jets game at about $500 a pop for as you so lightly put it, be happy what we have. Well what we have is on offense about 5-6 1st round picks including 2- 1st round QB’s 2-3 pro bowlers all at multi multi $million salary’s what we get in return is no Touchdowns or production, hype, and excuses, it’s because these guys get paid so much us Fans pay the price.So us fans have the right to express our concerns if you like being a loser then so beit I for one don’t so,
    . GO, tell some one in NE, Buffalo, Miami, Not us

19. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Okay..I am not here to speak on the behalf of the other bloggers here on this site…BUT Mr.Obewan…Belly aching? Balling siblings?..Granted some here do belly ache…some whine…some don’t even make any sense what-so-ever. But there are fans here that LOVE this team…that has supported this team from the highs and the lows…watched players that were let go become stars for another team. Watched coaches who shouldn’t have been hired…players who came here just for a paycheck..bust after bust…draft after draft…I am one of those guys who are just sicked and tired this mediocrity. I want this team to win..I want an owner who chooses wisely for his FO and GM. I want a GM that knows football and knows how to build a team.

20. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I support my team obewan. But when is this team going to give back to it’s faithful fans. When is this team going to stop being the butt of jokes on sport network channels. They owe to the fans to put the BEST coaches, players, staff and even the waterboys out there. Prime example. look at what Tampa did for Josh Freeman. They gave him the tools to WIN to be successful. Instead of wanting to win the back pages in NYC they should want to win the hearts of their fans. Put the best product out there. Not sideshows..not gimmicks…but a REAL football team that has pride to wear the GREEN & WHITE. I’m not happy of what we have but I will support this team win or lose. But I won’t support the FO for not giving us fans the best players available

21. By GaryC on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Ed from Tucson with a Nick Foles comment,how Is Juron Criner doing these days.

22. By GaryC on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Jetfantom,waiting for the next Holmes drop,and you saying isn’t it about time he put in a call for Biletnikoff stick’em.for some reason you will overlook Holmes faux pas.

23. By GaryC on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

allan o’ dane,you can only put so much money into a position,we already paid a number 2 receiver number 1 money.the jets need to go with the receivers they have now or keep recycling the old ones who still won’t come cheaply.

24. By Bennett on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Wilbur Joe also said he expects us to win 9-10 games based on our defense alone one of the best. I agree our D is going to be very good and will keep it close. ED FROM TUCSON good observation on Sanchez… design and use plays that take advantage of his strenghts, the straight drop under pressure is just not getting it done. Like to see more screens, more shotgun, play action, he does seem to rollout pretty good get him moving sideways instead of STRAIGHT BACK , even some draws, some reverses and a designed run play for him once in awhile. Keep the rush guessing and off balance, FRUSTRATE IT IF YOU CAN’T STOP IT!! Throw alot of different stuff at them MIX IT UP… DON’T TAKE A GENIUS TO SEE THIS SPORANO

25. By Arte Olde School Section 327 on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

When’s the last time (1969) the Jets were in 2 back to back AFC championship games? When’s the last time we beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in their houses to achieve this level of success? When is the last time we had a VERY competitive IF NOT DOMINATING Defense put out on the field?? With or without Revis, we are loaded and youthful at the ALL key positions on defense.
    So guess what little boys and girls who have Selective Amnesia on this site..
    Come December, when it all really counts after all, see Giants multi-SB wins based upon defense, guess where Peyton Manning’s going to be without his little DOME to play in?? See his AWAY statistics when he was MVP.. Drew Brees too. This team will be unbeatable come playoff time…

26. By wayne on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

“Can’t wait!” to hear from the “McElroy should get a shot” campaign.

27. By obewan on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Hey Allen you make good points and I too get very upset not seeing a super bowl since 1969. But I quess what i’m tring to say is I think they are doing a better job lately compared to pass( except last year) I think they will be tough this year but if not than some head my need to roll but it is only preseason get behind them and maybe we will have a good year.

28. By Bennett on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

The defensive game plan for Sanchez is to easy. He is going to do his standard straight drop, he will hold on to the ball to long we will get him moving cause his line can’t protect him and either sack him or bust the play. HEY GUESS WHAT Sanchez aint going to be there he is already rolling, or you just got suckered and that screen went for 12, or your so busy going after Sanchez they just busted a reverse on you for 16 where did that sneaky little draw come from that just got 6. HEY Sanchez isn’t just rolling he is running for the sideline WITH A BLOCKER for a quick 8. Then when he does do his standard straight drop all of a sudden they are cautious all of a sudden it aint that mad rush he sees Hil and hits him for 30

29. By Arte Olde School Section 327 on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Anyone who thinks that the Buffalo Bills will be better than the NEW YORK JETS at the END of the season (see ESPN morans) has got to be let go of their responsibilites as a sportscaster. Everyone thinks the Jets could either be really bad or really good.. So unpredictable (as they’ve always been) most are saying with all of the NEW JET personnel. Guess what? We are BEST when we’re under the radar! Be patient JETNATION — we will have some bumps in the road but we will most definitely be there come playoff time.. That’s when we will be the toughest – NOT LIKE BUFFALO and DENVER who will come out of the gates fast.. In the end we will be on top!!!!! Just watch (even those that think I’m smoking something! LOL) Go Green!

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Holmes and no other good WR will ever succeed on this team until we have a HC who understands, much less values, the modern NFL O and an elite QB who can throw consistently well, GaryC. But I guess you’re missing some posts because yesterday I advocated trading Holmes for picks, since we’re going nowhere anytime soon. Even if Sanchez or Tebow shine this yr, they need an owner who wants to win, a GM who knows something about football, and of course a HC who cares about O. Great stuff, Allan, the glutton for punishment-mindset of some Jet fans is one of the reasons the Jet FO has for so many yrs figured it could get over with a mediocre team — and done so.

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

All the Sanchez and Tebow groupies will say it was only against the 2’s and 3’s, but all I know is that tonight under McElroy the Jets looked like a professional football team on offense for the first time this entire preseason. Sure would be interesting to see what that guy could do playing with the 1’s — probably get Mr T and Rex fired, is my guess. Plus quite a few of Philly’s 2’s are probably a lot better than our 1’s…

32. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

SCfrom NY, my feelings exactly on other teams “castoff’s” A castoff on one team who happens to be overloaded at one position could very well be another teams jewel. You can’t just generalize when you talk about cuts from other clubs. There have been hundreds of players over the years who were cut by one team and went on to have very productive careers with another.Now, I don’t want to see any 35 or 36 year old RBs and WRs brought in, but lets be reasonable.

33. By danny on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

LOL Bennett that was funny bro

34. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Well, let me try to look at the glass as half full instead of half empty, not to ruffle the feathers of a few select individuals here who just hate to hear any criticism even if the situation warrants it. The play of Coples, Smith and McElroy was encouraging, not a whole lot more. But I suppose we will have a much better picture of how this season is going to go after week 1 vs Buffalo. If it turns out to be the 5th straight offensive debacle, it just may be time to hit the panic button.

35. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Now that the preseason is over, the next phase of roster tinkering will begin starting tomorrow after 9:00pm when the final cuts are announced. For all of you who just hate the idea of picking up other teams “cast off”s” or “Scrubs” as some of you try to label them, I urge you to take a real close look at how this teams 2s and 3s performed against their 4 opponents 2s and 3s in the pre season. My only concern is whether or not the FO is capable of making some tough and some educated decisions re: the depth on this team. Go get em Mr T. try to win back some of the fans who have already jumped ship.

36. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Ok here’s comes the Negativity, can’t deal with it , pass it up, This is the problem I have with personnel building this team, and won’t be fixed anytime soon.. I know everyone saw what I saw, Since our #1s didn’t embarrass themselves by playing Tonight, Why not let our # 2s embarrass themselves, Eagles 2’s looked like Giants or NE #1’s against ours . No depth what so ever, But lets all rejoice and be happy what we have.

37. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Cont. one good drive in 4 games, Let us not forget it came from our #3.Mac looked OK, but, one drive does not make a QB I am willing to give him a shot … like I said a few weeks back Landry was a gamer and I like this Kid Powell, said the same about Maybin last season, Can’t wait to hear the rebuttal from the wait and see crew..

38. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Art Olde School, I have to admire your enthusiasm bro, but to say we are “loaded” at all the KEY positions on defense would be a bit of a stretch. I don’t see the “quality” depth at OLB for example that should be, or needs to be in place. Ditto, the safety position. I do see it along the D line. I think the past 4 pre season games with our 2s and 3s going up against their 2s and 3s made that determination. BUT, with that said, it is not the defense that I am worried about, it is whether or not this offense can sustain enough drives to keep this D from playing 40 to 45 minutes a game. Because if it can’t, this D will not be elite for long.

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I think maybe this question of picking up guys — the so-called “mini-draft” that Arte predicts for us after teams are down to 53 — is being framed wrongly. Sure there’s nothing wrong with picking up a few guys here or there after the last preseason game. But there’s plenty wrong with ignoring obvious needs including at some starting spots until that pt. Any realistic Jet fan will see that last yr’s draft was the first in awhile that was geared toward rebuilding a team over the next few yrs, not overnight. And a REALLY realistic Jet fan will consider that after Rex and Mr T sink with the underwhelming Sanchez and Tebow, McElroy maybe gets a chance to compete with the next highly-drafted Jet QB for the starting job.

40. By scjoe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I was going to give Shotty some credit for his 2s and 3s putting 31 pts up on the Ravens, but after further review I noticed that Bradford played most of the game.But, it still has to be nice for your team to put up 31 in your last preseason game. If for no other reason, it has to be a confidence booster. I know that I for one will be keeping close tabs on how the offense in St.L. performs through out the year.

41. By Christopher on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Nick Folk is this years MVP. We’re gonna need him.

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

It’s absolutely surreal to me that this team, its players, its coaches, and some its fans are seriously brightened by the scoring of A SINGLE TD in the first half of the last preseason game! I’m amazed that Ganaway didn’t snort with disgust when he was asked how he felt about McElroy’s TD pass to him. Of course, when 44% of those posting call Coples the MVP of the game and only 39% give that honor to McElroy — yeah, THE SAME MCELROY WHO DID WHAT NEITHER SANCHEZ NOR TEBOW COULD DO (put 6 pts on the board), there’s something really funny going on. Oh yeah, and McElroy also engineered a two-minute drill for a score, something we didn’t even try to do with Sanchez in the previous game.

43. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

An utterly sane assessment from the often too-cynical (about the potential of our young players) Cimini: “That conversation [as to whether McElroy should be #2 instead of Tebow] is premature [the heck it is! -- my note] — McElroy has no regular-season experience — but you know what? McElroy (12-for-17, 90 yards, 1 TD, 0 turnovers) has some nice tools. He demonstrated accuracy, pocket presence [neither of which either Sanchez or Tebow have much of -- my note again] and toughness. On the second possession, he led a 14-play, 77-yard drive, culminating with the Jets’ first touchdown of the preseason — a 6-yard pass to RB Terrance Ganaway. McElroy has moxie.” Yes, and possibly more potential than the 2 QBs ahead of him on the depth chart.

44. By IRA on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

In my eyes after last night Richardson has shown enough to me in the summer to have a roster spot. J. Smith played very well [yeah i know it was vs backups] and i believe he will be the starting RT by week 2.
    Now on to the #2 QB. Lets face it Tebow is an excellent football player and can help a team in some ways. McElroy no questions asked should be the #2 end of story.

45. By AK_Jet on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

64- I think I found our common ground; McElroy warrants a strong consideration for starting QB, and Woody Johnson is a businessman. If I could have Curtis Martin as our owner I would take him in a heartbeat. Rex Ryan is no doubt my pick for head coach. I truly believe he get’s little say over are roster but players like Sanchez and Tebow are off-limits due to the fact are owner is a businessman. Consider us fortunate to have Rex as our head coach; this year if you keep an open mind and not yearn for the Patriots offense, you’ll see how much the rest of the league will hate to play the Jets.

46. By IRA on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Forgot to mention Dowtin i thought played very well and should’ve earned himself a spot on the practice squad. And they might have found a replacement for Baker. I think Epps has shown signs of having good hands, speed and just maybe they could use him in some of the roles they used Baker.

47. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Obewan, The NYJ did a good job on the defense..but what about the offense? We all know that the game is won in the trenches, so why not pick up Carl NIcks when he was available? That one move would have solidified this offensive line. GaryC, I agree with you having to let the young guys play, we have to see if we have our own Ray lewis or calvin johnson in the making BUT that doesn’t mean you have to settle with 2nd rate players. Noway should the NYJ FO offer sanchez that ext. and holmes getting that money?!? That’s why Mike T has to go. Imagine what a guy like Brandon Moore is thinking. ‘ I work my butt off, I don’t complain yet they give this WR an ext.?” This is what causes division. Holmes and Sanchez have to EARN that money.

48. By GaryC on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

with all this talk about the great jet defense are people really confident with the jet corners after Revis and Cromartie,I mean Wilson,Posey and the 5’8 trufant and Lankster.If the opposing team goes four wide the jets will be in big trouble,better look for corners when the cuts are made.

49. By Allan O'Dane on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

After watching G-Mac under center I hope and pray that the NYJ don’t mess this kid up. He looked good…not great…but really good..and that was with the 2’s. Like 64tom said “Imagine what this kid can do with 1’s?”, But knowing the history of this team we will find a way to let him go and watch him become the next “Brady”. or mess up his development. NYJ are not known to develop their QB’s like most other teams do. This kid pulls the ball down and runs when he has to, throws the ball AWAY instead of forcing it and puts the ball where only the WR has a chance at it. Now I don’t know about you guys but where I come from 2+2=4. Think about this..G-Mac under Bill Belichek’s system learning from Brady…it could happen. Scary right?

50. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

For all who believe Schotty is horrible, don’t get me wrong I really didn’t think he was great , what excuse the usual suspects will give on why Rams offense, Hung 31 on them, more points 1 game then Jets in 4, I come up with one of two scenarios, Schotty isn’t that bad or Bradford is that much better then Sanchez, just proves bloviating not fact is the order of the day, Let me add 2 seasons ago, Schotty had to dumb down the playbook for Sanchez, because he keep up, enter the ground and pound, some who agree we need to chance the culture and direction here remember as well, Merrel Hodge said on sports nation Jets are the worse offense in NFL. can’t disagree

51. By since shea on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

I hope I’m wrong but our offense will be terrible, yes when it counts. All this “vanilla” stuff and the unwrapping of the stealth nuclear powered wildcat is just talk. If they cant routinely move the ball and score even with a plain offense, then we have problems. No quick slants? The running game is not impressive. Mr T just did not put good enough talent on this team. Tebow for back up QB and wildcatter? Please! And defense? Shouldn’t Maybin and Coples have gone wild against Philly’s #2’s and #3’s? Our depth is not good, sure. But shouldn’t we have done a better job considering we were playing some regulars and starters on the D line? Whose idea was Sporano? Parcells? Mr T payback to tuna? No wonder why we suffer every year!

52. By GaryC on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Ira,hope you are write about Dowtin,would be sad if Jets cut him,Isn’t it time to trade pace maybe for a back with speed and move McIntyre into his starting spot,then that would definitely open a spot for Dowtin,Mauga,Davis and Maybin.there would be your 8 linebackers,if they carry that many.

53. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Yes, Ira, AK, and MJV, it’s obvious to anyone who knows anything about football (which Mr T doesn’t) and has the slightest ability to evaluate QB play (which scjoe certainly does, danny) that McElroy should be challenging Sanchez for the starting job, not challenging Tebow for the backup job. Of course, there were plenty of us who last December said a competition between MS, Mc, and somebody like Orton or Campbell would be a good move for now. Ridiculously, the Jets went for Tebow instead. But I have a standard rule for stuff like this: Anything or anyone that Rex raves about who’s not already great (i.e. Revis, Mangold, Holmes) will fail as badly as he/it possibly can. That’s why he’ll he gone around mid-November, no later than January.

54. By GaryC on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

DeCastro injured,Ingram injured,maybe the jets didn’t do bad selecting Coples.

55. By GaryC on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Heard Griffin has already been cut,I mentioned early in the week jets played him out of position and that would hurt his chances,it has come to fruition.

56. By scjoe on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

64, here is my feelings on any “mini draft” If you make “most” of the correct moves during the FAs period AND the April draft, there should be absolutely no need for any “mini draft” a week before the regular season opener. Of course there should always be some bottom of the roster tinkering to upgrade the depth. But if you are depending on a “mini draft” to go out and upgrade any starting spot, you are in trouble.

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

By the way, MJV, I thought your “Here comes some negativity, can’t deal with it, pass it up” was not only hilarious but also really telling as to the weird space some folks are in about this team. I have to guess that these folks who think voicing criticisms of a team that waits until the last minute to fix glaring holes in the roster and can’t score a TD all summer either never played football, sat on the bench praying their number would never be called when they played it, or never competed at anything else. This is not a game won by giving out prizes to everyone just for showing up. And what’s funniest to me about Rex is that contrary to the tough-guy image he had when he started out here, now he spins nonsense like a D.C veteran.

58. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Coples, on if he was expecting to play as much as he did tonight: “I was ready to play all four quarters and I always prepare to play all night unless I’m told different. I let it be the coaches’ decision on how much time I will play in any game and otherwise I am going for the four quarters.” To those who constantly defend Rex’s non-existent HC skills, can you tell me why he had to riff about Coples allegedly not wanting to play the full CAR game? I think it’s great that the rookie basically said coach can do stand-up all he wants, but this is how I play the game. This goes back to my pt about how Rex went for the cheap laugh with McKnight instead of coaching him. Well, Coples and McKnight have a lot more future in the NFL than Rex does.

59. By joe-retired li/fla on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

hello there everyone! it’s bend a-while. i read all post every day. i just want to remind everyone- our division- afc-east just finished 1-15! for the preseaon. i feel our defense is very good. on offence should have mcelroy as qb. iknow he’s only played against other teams 2&3rds, but give him a chance.i feel he’s the guy that can put points on board! i felt that way last year-before he got hurt. i know denver wanted him in the trade for tebow-so i’am not the only who thinks-he’s good! so,whith him at qb & our defence-we can go a long ways!

60. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Totally agree with you, scjoe, and what you say is illustrated by the cut of Griffin today — a lot of the guys we’ll pick up in any “mini-draft” will be guys like that who didn’t work out from the “real draft.” And of course, playing such guys out of position, as GaryC points out, rarely helps. But that’s what you get under Rex, the worst developer of talent in modern Jets history.

61. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Hey joe-retired, did you take a vacation in some alternate universe in which the obvious solution, like playing the QB who most looks like a pro, carries the day? Sorry to bring you back down to earth on this site, where we prefer to talk about how much better Mark looks every day except Sunday, what a great football player Tebow is even though he has no value at any position yet invented, and what a monumental achievement it is to score the first TD of the yr 4 games into the preseason. To paraphrase the voiceover at the beginning of the brilliant Julie Christie-Alan Bates movie classic THE GO-BETWEEN, “The Jets are a foreign country. They do things differently there.”