• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

‘We’ll Run Some Wildcat, No Doubt’ on Sunday

Posted by Randy Lange on September 3, 2012 – 4:45 pm

Updated, 8:10 p.m. ET

Project: Wildcat is about to be unveiled on Sunday against the Buffalo Bills. So said Rex Ryan at his news conference today.

Ryan didn’t volunteer any state secrets ahead of seeing how the Jets will run the ‘Cat with Tim Tebow at the controls, but in response to several questions ahead of the Jets’ return-to-work practice at the Atlantic Health Training Center this afternoon, he wasn’t denying that the ‘Cat was ready to be let out of the bag.

“I think if we don’t, everybody will be like, ‘Wait a second,’ ” Ryan said. “Sure, we’re going to run some Wildcat, there’s no bout. Is it specifically just against the Buffalo defense? No, it’s not. In fact, this team will probably be as prepared to face the Wildcat as any team we’ll face.”

That’s not only because of Brad Smith’s presence on the Bills roster but also David Lee’s spot on the coaching staff. Lee, Buffalo’s QBs coach, was Tony Sparano’s QBs coach with Miami from 2008-10 and helped Sparano get the scheme up and flying.

Nevertheless, Rex said there was no secret to keeping the scheme under wraps other than not wanting to tip their hand before the Bills game.

“We never ran it. I guess we never appeased whoever. But our intent was that there was no sense showing it right now in the preseason, just like I’m sure a lot of teams are saving specific things for their openers,” he said.

Health Report

The other major topic at the newser was the Jets’ health. Ryan wasn’t providing his typical “bonus coverage” by giving a complete rundown of the Green & White’s injury list that he doesn’t have to reveal until Wednesday. But he wasn’t guaranteeing the availability of NT Sione Po‘uha or TE Dustin Keller for the Bills just yet.

“I’m not real sure on Sione. I’m anticipating Dustin being able to play. Barring a setback, I think he plays,” the coach said, adding that as far as practicing today, “I would tend to think they wouldn’t. With [Keller’s\ hamstring, we might wait till Wednesday. We’ll see what John has them doing today.”

J.P. Pelzman of The Record asked about the possibility that if Po‘uha does suit up this week for practice, he might be on a “pitch count” similar to the one that head trainer John Mellody and his staff had for S LaRon Landry during training camp.

After practice, Po‘uha was definitive on his availability. “Ithink I’m a little bit ahead of exactly where I should be,” said Big Bo. “I’m ready to go. My job is to make sure I’m well and ready to play. All I’ve been doing is getting ready to go, and I feel great.”

On one more injury front, Rex was asked if he had an update on Joe McKnight’s hamstring.

“No, I sure don’t,” he replied. “But I know Joe thinks he’s going to play.”

Hill of a Pick

We know Ryan’s way of using humor to get a point across. We also know Don Banks of Sports Illustrated as a very solid reporter. We also think something got lost in the translation in Banks’ report on what Rex told him about second-round WR Stephen Hill.

“Well, nothing told me he would [contribute]. Nothing,’’ Ryan was quoted by Banks. “When I saw the tape, I was concerned. But Mike Tannenbaum and Terry Bradway and all our scouts were adamant about this guy. They were adamant that this guy can do it. He can run all these routes, he had good hands and he’s got 4.2 speed at 6’5″. He was the guy they all wanted, but honestly, when it came down to it, a wideout? Not my dream pick. But now that we have him, of course, I want to claim him: ‘Oh, that was my pick.’ But it really wasn’t.”

Ryan clarified that he was using some self-deprecating humor with Banks and that Hill has been developing very nicely so far, a feeling he conveyed to reporters several times when he talked about Hill with reporters throughout the preseason.

“Yeah, that one took off in a way that was different than what the intent was. Actually, I was talking about our scouting department and how Mike, Terry and those guys identified Stephen. I’ve said it before, he wasn’t my guy, meaning that he’s exceeded where I thought a rookie receiver would be, without question.

“The fact that he was from Georgia Tech, I’ve got nothing against Georgia Tech. It’s a great program. We talk about us being ground and pound, that’s major ground and pound. But he’s picked things up way faster than I thought. I was saying, ‘He’s definitely my pick now’ because I think he’s definitely going to have a bright future.”

Hill showed no negative feelings tonight after practice about this episode.

“I honestly just heard about it maybe 10 minutes ago,” he said. “Coach Ryan, I understand, is a defensive coach, but I know he was definitely joking about the situation. I’m just ready to play on Sunday. That’s my biggest focus.”

Charity Ball

Along with the regular season, the Jets’ “community season” also gets started this week and next. Reporter John Holt will be bringing weekly stories to our site about the Green & White’s good deeds off the field, and a few Jets and ex-Jets are getting that ball rolling this week.

G Brandon Moore, for instance, is jump-starting the school year for 100 Newark, N.J., youth as he, his wife, Regina, and The Moore Family Foundation hold their Back to School Extravaganza on Tuesday from 5-7:30 p.m. at the Boys and Girls Club Newark.

Moore and company will provide backpacks and school supplies to the kids at the Boys and Girls Club for the third consecutive year, after which the Pro Bowl O-lineman will take 40 children back-to-school-shopping at the local Target.

Then when it comes to the NFL Play 60 Youth Football Festival, three former Jets — WR Wayne Chrebet, DT Joe Klecko and QB Chad Pennington — will be among the dozen players who will team with local youth to get across the message for kids to stay active for 60 minutes a day. Students will learn NFL FLAG drills from USA Football coaches and participate in drills with the players on Tuesday and Wednesday at New York’s Chelsea Waterside Park, located on 11th Avenue between 23rd and 24th streets.

Tags: , , , , ,

91 Responses to “‘We’ll Run Some Wildcat, No Doubt’ on Sunday”

1. By GaryC on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

truth be known,the only wildcat I want to see is at the local zoo.the less I see of Tebow,the more success Sanchez is having and maybe more points are put on the board.

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Hey danny, a lifelong Jets fan dating from the Namath era posted this on Yahoo. It’s much closer to what many folks off this site are thinking than what you claim they are: “[The Jets] have several festering problems. Their dysfunction and arrogance, a virus spreading slowly and ominously during the Rex Ryan era, finally overtook them at the end of last year. General Manager Mike Tannenbaum, perhaps the worst draft and talent evaluator in the NFL, continues to strike out with most acquisitions. The quarterback situation is an unmitigated disaster, and with no offensive firepower, Mark Sanchez will once again receive a pass because he has no help — and that will further retard the team’s progress as everyone waits for him to flower.”

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

To danny and others, I also quoted that fan’s view on Yahoo so folks might go read the whole piece. Another great pt of his: “The arrogance/deception continues to breathe a life of its own with the smokescreen about offensive futility rooted in a clandestine pre-season game plan — as if other teams are releasing all of their plans to the media on a daily basis — and Ryan’s nonsense about this being his best Jets team.” Yes, this is the type of fairy tale that Rex constantly tells us fans, along with Mark’s elite, “Is he perfect? No, but…,” we’re winning the SB, etc. I don’t think it’s negative to say that I find this kind of talk from our HC insulting, especially when I was already playing football around the time he was being born.

4. By SCfromNY on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

OK, here’s my question. When the Wildcat is unveiled and for the most part stopped in it’s tracks. Besides the Bills having an inside track on the wildcat it’s time has come and gone. A play now and then to surprise a team, but a heavy dose will not prevail. Just likeground and pound without Arien Foaster or Ray Rice is not a key to success. Will there then be an unveiling of the secret offense? This is the NFL in 21012. You now pass to set up the run for success. You have fast ball catching TEs. Your WRs can go over the middle and get YAC. You have a QB who is accurate, unafraid, able to put balls in the best place to add yards, calm, and a presense in the pocket to lead and inspire his team. I wish we had those things. We don’t!

5. By IRA on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Always nice to read about former and current players helping out with kids. I didn’t think Pouha would be a go this week or maybe for awhile and thats why they kept Harrison and pu Aaitui along with Gates to replace McKnight on KO’s. As for the WC this week we will all just have to wait and see but i think the Bills will be ready for it along with any Tebow packages unless they throw in a few wrinkles. The Bills handled Tebow with no problem last year. This game will be won by the Jets D and Greene. The Jets have had huge success running vs the Bills since Rex has been HC. The Bills safeties always give Sanchez fits so i will stick with my man Kerley and say he has a big game along with Keller to open up the running game.
    GO JETS!!!!

6. By scjoe on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

About that Stephen Hill pick, sorry 64, GaryC, Danny (if your still out there) I have to agree with Rex. I have gone on record right after the draft stating I didn’t agree with that pick, for a couple of reasons. 1- there were more critical needs then a WR in that spot 2-This player has to little a body of work to be selected that high, 3- It took another pick in a trade up to select him, a very valuable pick under the circumstances I might add, 4- they had already signed Schliens who is a clone of Hill’s. Now, nothing I have seen so far in camp and preseason leads me to believe I was wrong, or it was a great pick. Potential?? You better be right!

7. By Gregg from CA on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Love him or hate him, Rex has addressed the majority of public complaints about him from last year, or years before. YET people still bring up the SB guarantees, say he talks too much, call him a loudmouthed fat man… Even when he defers from responding to questions that are obviously intended to provoke him, when he quietly and patiently explains his thinking on a subject, we end up with a video hitting EVERY page about the Jets that says “Is Rex’s talk hurting the team?”. I watched the video, it didn’t even SHOW Rex, and Jamie Dukes (I believe) scoffed it away. So, you wanna talk about relevant commentary, or sensationalism?

Rex has turned into the bland pod-person that so many people wanted him to be, but it’s still not good enough.

8. By Tom Spicer on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Guys take shots at Rex & Woody but lets take a look at them. Rex is a great defensive mind for 3 years our D has been 1, 3 & 5. This year on paper it looks to be better than it ever has been. Rex knows the game it is not a situation where the guy is clueless like some other Jet head coaches that I can name. The one problem he has is he talks to much but he is trying to tone that down. He is not the root of the problem. Woody the Jets were in a run down building in Hofstra & were a laughing stock. Since Woody has taken over the team has been at least competitve ever year. We now have a state of the art facility in Florham park & a brand new stadium. What else can he do as a owner? The blame has to go on MR.T Woody is doing everything he can

9. By Gregg from CA on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Hey Ian O’Connor: Next time you want to write a paean to a great and worthy coach like Tom Coughlin, why don’t you spend more space writing ABOUT Coach Coughlin than digging at Rex Ryan and the Jets? If I was Coach Coughlin, I would have been insulted that the Jets got more column lines than the Coach and his team’s exploits. All spring and summer we’ve been hearing how annoyed the Giants are about being almost invisible, and then Ian writes a scathing diatribe against the Jets and tries to temper it by putting Tom Coughlin’s picture on it! I’m wondering, which team got the open palm and which got the backhand?

10. By Tom Spicer on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

as a owner & Rex is doing a good job with the talent he has been given. Well we all know MR.T’s track record as far as the draft. But now if you look back even his trades have been bad. For example he traded for multiple guys & it looked great at the time for what we gave up. But that was if & only if he signed them to stay not as 1 year rentals. If you are not going to keep guys long term dont trade our draft picks! Dont trade up in the draft! Trade down if anything! If everyone on the planet knows what your problems are & you dont address them THERE IS A PROBLEM!

11. By TONY GARCIA on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

JET FAN since 1969.ITS a long season no team in our division scared me in preseason.LET this team play the entire 16 game season then will no what were made of.

12. By wayne on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

64, quoting fans? Why?……………………

13. By since shea on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Mr T, you are putting too much stock into the wildcat and Tebow. When opponents stop this non lethal offense, then what? Got good RB’s? WR’s? O Line? Our defense will wither when they are on the field too long. 3 and outs will kill our D. Bills 10 Jets 6? Mr T, there appears to be less talent and skill on this team each year thanks to you. Rex says he thinks this may be the best team yet. What do you want him to say? That you, Mr T, are not good at selecting talent? That you should stick with accounting? That you had all winter to fix pass protection and didn’t? We have earned the right to complain. We bought PSL’s. We followed Joe. Went to Bachelors 3. We are still waiting for another championship. Start making some intelligent decisions

14. By CJF on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

As long as we don’t commit stupid penalties and turn the ball over we will win sunday. Nothing about Buffalo is scary. Just because they signed Mario Williams suddenly makes them playoff bound?? Lol. We need to protect Sanchez and dominate the clock and the running game. Drayton Florence is gone and he was their best player in the secondary. Our defense is far better than Buffalo’s offense and I can’t wait to see Landry and Bell in action. As far as the Wildcat goes, if they plan on direct snapping it just to run it up the middle they might as well not even do it. At least bring out some plays where they will be reverses, double passes back to the wildcat QB or something that is out of the ordinary. Tebow can and will break tackles.

15. By boni on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

team = players, therefore if you hate the players, you hate the team.
    how can you ALL hate your own team?

16. By Karan on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

If only Tannenbaum had signed Edwards, bulked up the O-line and acquired a legit blocking TE, this offensive mess wouldn’t have occurred.

17. By Karan on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Did not Tebow in NY! What happened to Mike T? He did a great job piling the roster 2 seasons ago, he’s been atrocious 2011 forward.

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

Hill could be the worst WR in all of college football and I still wouldn’t respect what Rex said, scjoe, because (a) He knows nothing about offense (b) He knows and cares nothing about the passing game, as SCfromNY illustrates so well throughout his post above, and (c) It’s hugely amateurish of him to talk this way about the FO publicly, no matter how much I equally dislike Mr T. Go find me a great NFL HC who ever had to stoop to that kind of nonsense to get the heat off of himself. With statements like this one, Rex solidifies his rep as the poster child for why the Jets are now seen as a joke. Once he’s gone, there will be a little more even-handedness on display here and elsewhere about why we so badly needed to cut bait.

19. By gary on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

i have loved the jets for long time(48 years) and have been jet season ticket holder until 10 years ago–now my son carries on the honor.

after last year i was ready to go back to my original alligiance–big blue with whom i grew up but then tebow came and i changed my mind

the preseason has been so dismal, i don’t know what to do.

nothing is working–everywhere you look chaos!!

ryans defense–ng offence–ng–offensive line–ng

special teams–ng

i cannot find a brightspot

now it is time to make my preseason picks and for the first time in a long time i camnot pick them to make the playoffs

i remember giant fans burning their tickets when lived in nj–i felt sorry for them and yet a few years later, i could’t give

20. By uncle joe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

So I see 64 Tom is still crying! This Stevie Johnson guy thinks he’s got Revis’ #, here’s a little advice,,, if you do catch a pass stay away from the middle of the field, this Landry guy we got out there will KILL YOU!

21. By uncle joe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

I love these people saying Rex is on the hot seat, 3 years coaching with two of those ending in the Championship game,REALLY? Giants coach and QB were on the hot seat too,remember how that ended?

22. By punchie on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Kenrick Ellis is a beast with the agility of a cat he will rack up some big numbers on D. I am looking forward to seeing wilkerson, pouah, ellis, coples front.

23. By IRA on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,
    Schilens is some what similar to Hill but at least he has some experience. We all know he has not shown he can stay healthy thats his biggest problem. I still think they add a WR in the next two weeks unless they have just decided to live with the growing pains with Hill.

24. By punchie on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

RANDY could you please give kenrick ellis his props,ALL Must see kenrick ellis stufing the run against the eagles with a balarina like spin move and then see the expression on calvin paces face when he sees the replay. if you can post it for me it`s beastly and humerous. THANX

25. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

as for the jets defense controlling the Bills,yes,as long as the bills don’t islolate Fred Jackson on Bart Scott on passes,then it is all over.

26. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,you come across as a guy who would love the jet roster to consist of no one under 30 believing you win with old war horses instead of Secretariats.

27. By Bennett on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

JET FAN 64 ….You are giving new meaning to the word strident…. ie loud, harsh , grating, shrill… is it really that bad broski ?

28. By Bennett on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

I like Ryan. Getting to the AFC champ games in the first 2 years was due to just plain great coaching especially with a rookie 22 yr old QB . He is one of the top defensive coaches in the league and proved it again and agiain in10 seasons ( and the super bowl) with the Ravens. He created a top defense for the Jets within his first year. He deserved and earned a HC shot. He doesn’t take himself to serious, has a great sense of humor, is totally loyal to his players and coaches and is a man of his word. All this in the strident glare of the capital of the idiot media. The problem with this team is T-baum I said it before and I will say it again he is going to ruin this team and take alot of good people with him when he does.

29. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

S.C.J, right you are my man,,,, to me the Hill pick was a luxury pick! By that I mean that is the type of pick a team like the Pats or the 49ers can affort to make.Those teams are solid up & down the rosters and can afford to wait on a guy like Hill until he is ready to be a force.Unfortunately, that is not the case at this time.Hill is still fighting the ball as it comes to him. Most of his drops have come as a result of him trying to trap the ball against his body instead of reaching out and grabbing it with his hands.When a reciever does this it shows two problems. poor fundamentals and a lack of confidence.Until he puts in the wok and improves his technique he will be a liability as the drops will continue.

30. By Karan on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

I also do like Rex, he’s a great defensive coach. His first two years here, he completely changed the mindset of the NY Jets. Think about it, since then, nobody expects a losing season in NY anymore. 8-8 surprised many last season. Rex brings out the best in his players. He does take it a little far though with the guarantees and all but I’m glad he’s cleared those comments, got humbled and seems more mature this season. Now Rex will always be Rex so that bravado will always be there, but he won’t take it too far as he did last season. Many people blame him for some of the failures of this team, I honestly think it really falls down on Tannenbaum, he simply has not done a great job of solidifying a roster offensively. I do wish however…..

31. By Karan on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

…….Rex would get more involved in the offense. But at the end of the day, even though he is the head coach and head coaches should play a major factor in what goes down in the formation of the team, in this NYJ football team, the GM has the final say personal wise. I guess Woody too, haha. But seriously, overall the GM hasn’t done a great job on making a legit offense. There was no need for Tebow here, obviously this shows these guys have no faith in Mark. I have plently of faith in Mark and hopes he proves every single person who thinks he doesn’t have it wrong. Tebow should simply be another weapon. I wish he had signed Edwards back, but I’m fine for now with the 5 WRs we have on the roster. They can all contribute. I just wish…….

32. By IRA on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

We all know that the NFL has turned into a passing league and i just read today that 11,356 pts were scored last year that was an all-time high plus three teams for the first time scored more then 500 pts for the season GB, NE and NO. I know the rules keep favoring the O’s but i do believe that DC’s will sooner than later have an answer for the O’s trends right now. I think about 3 yrs this will change back to the way it was before the passing game took over. Everybodies thoughts?

33. By Karan on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

……we could have signed a blocking tight end and bulked up the O-line a bit more. And also not have cut Dixon, not a starter, but he was a contributor, those kind of players are special and count, I don’t why the front office does not realize this. Tannenbaum seems like the kind of guy who pays more attention to a brand than the actual product.

34. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Ron A, couldn’t have stated it any better, both about how Hill doesn’t attack the ball, he waits on it, and it WAS a luxury pick, unfortunately they were not in a position to go out and select “a project” with a 2nd round pick, not this year. The only thing that may have taken some of the sting out of that selection was if they had BE signed and ready to start opposite Holmes. 64, I certainly know your position on Rex, but there have been other “defensive” HCs around the league who were pretty successful even though their expertise was confined to defense. That is where their delegation skills come in to play. This team can win with Rex. Of course there are still other obstacles.

35. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, not entirely true. I wouldn’t give a rats tail what the average age is on this roster, as long as they take home a Lombardi. To take it a step further, I wouldn’t give that same rats tail if it were a team of bad boys or a team of choir boys, just get er done!

36. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Ron, from a few posts back, once upon a time pro football was a “sport” both to the fans and the owners. Today it is still a “sport” to most fans, however it is nothing more then big business for most owners. Against my better judgement I believe we will someday (maybe not in our lifetime) see an NFL team in England, China, maybe India as well. WHY? Billions and billions of dollars to be spent on NFL merchandise. Now, is that really good for “the sport” NO Is it really good for “business” on the other hand? Absolutely!

37. By Tom Spicer on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

The Ravens just released Tackle Bryant McKinnie in a contract dispute. We need to take a look at this guy.

38. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Ira,unfortunately football will never be what it once was,the owners want football now to be a ping pong game,I will make a reference to baseball as they add an extra wildcard team so that teams that really don’t deserve it have a chance at getting in.they need to fill those stands and the gullible fans say my team still has a chance to make the playoffs,even though we might have a 500 record.the owners in football will always believe points will get fans to the games and not defensive teams.

39. By Karan on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Wow, Bryant McKinnie’s going to be released by the Ravens. Maybe pick him up?

40. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

scjoe and ron alexander, do not really understand you guys calling Hill a “luxury” pick,like we don’t need a 6’4 receiver with speed.Of course everyone knows we need help on the offensive line but unless you are Munoz or Ogden,it can be a defintie miss on a offensive linemen.there are more failed lineman who were drafted high who never made it,Do you guys remember Cadigan,Mike Haight just to name a couple of guys,sorry do not name Marvin Powell,he was drafted at the top of the draft,Chris Ward too.The jets drafted number 15,sorry the top linemen are gone by then,if their worthy.And please do not call Hill,a clone of Shilens,that is like saying Calvin Johnson is a clone of Patrick Turner.

41. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

If the Ravens release McKinnie, as expected, and the Jets pick him up, that would go a long way toward solidifying their O line. He would immediately become the starter at RT and also become the b/u LT that they just do not have on this roster.Besides, they ARE more then 8mil under the cap.

42. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Ira, on the contrary, I believe it will become more and more a passing league. This trend has been going on for more then a decade now and I don’t see any change in sight anytime soon. It has just been to successful. Not to mention how much more entertaining it is, especially for the casual fan. My only hope is that the Jets can get on board sometime soon.

43. By James Schindler on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

@Gary What are you talking about? The defense has been playing well. Amazing, no. But the first string defense was playing well. Holding the teams to field goals, not giving up too many big playes etc. You should be able to win a football game when the defense is holding a team to under 20 points a game(1st string only played 1 half of the preseason games).

If your team is top 5 even top 10 defense. You should be able to have a winning reccord and have a good shot at making the playoffs. Our big issue has been striking out on the draft and not building a good O-line. Sanchez would be doing better if he had time to throw the ball. I still think Greg McElroy should be the starting QB(sanchez as backup).

44. By James Schindler on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

and tebow would be a fullback for the ground and pound. And would be able to direct snap, or flea flicker(like the martin to crebet pass to win the bucs game after Keyshawn Johnson got traded) or other trick plays.

45. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Those who are so opposed to the release of Dixon, I can assure you, had he made the cut, he would have been spending much of his time on the inactive list. Do the math. Coples, Pouha, Ellis, Harrison, Devito. I suppose they see more upside in Aaitui.

46. By kleckofan on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Spice-
    I don’t understand how you can say Woody is doing a great job as an owner and then proceed to say that the blame lies wTannenbaum. As everyone knows, I despise Tanny and think he is inept, a fraud and way over his head, but Woody is the boss. He’s the only guy who can fire Tanny, he’s the guy who allowed Tebow to come here. Guilty.
    Get Gruden, give him the reins over strategy and personnel, move this team out of the dysfunctional stoneage!

47. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

wayne, I quoted that fan because danny had some illusion that all Jet fans are willing to suffer endless mediocrity. Bennett, I’m a firm believer in Parcell’s “Better the year before than the year after,” and this yr is it for Rex. If all his blather and nonsense doesn’t somehow produce a better team than last yr, it’s time to go in another direction. Actually, uncle joe, I refuse to cry, I take action instead, unlike you who’ll be making excuses for this sorry org until Staten Island sinks into the sea. Out here on the other coast, some ex-New Yorkers like me embrace the old Latino saying, “Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.” A lot of Jets fans have been living on their knees so long they’re ready for replacement surgery.

48. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I think the shift to passing over running is evolutionary not just in terms of style and the league but substance and the human body. Anybody who’s been watching football, baseball, and basketball since the early ’60s, like a lot of us on this site, has to be astounded by the increase in size, speed, and athleticism of players. QBs and WRs can do things that OC’s couldn’t have dreamed of decades ago and while there’s a corresponding increase of such capabilities on D, the NFL has also tilted the rules in favor of passing. Unless the NFL decides that people want to see less pts scored, less lightning-strike comebacks, less shootouts like the PIT vs AZ SB, I don’t see running taking the lead in this game ever again. Somebody tell Rex.

49. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, where you posting from, the Dem convention? This “there have been other defensive coaches who’ve been successful’ stuff sounds like the hazy, generalized way all those flacks ducked the “Are you better off now than 4 yrs ago?” question on the news yesterday. Yeah, there was once a guy named Trent Dilfer who won a SB, even though everyone else in football considers him an exception and Rex, for some bizarre reason that no one on this site or elsewhere has ever been able to explain, considers the rule. It’s a shame that Sanchez has been so badly served this yr by Mr T but some QBs start to carry the team and shine in the face of such “obstacles.” If he doesn’t do that this yr, I’m not sure it’s a good idea to stick with for a 5th yr.

50. By Arte Olde School Section 327 on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

All of you little boys and girls out there in JetNation are going to be eating your words! Just WATCH this team WIN games starting THIS Sunday against the Bills.

1) Sanchise has his BEST year this year BY FAR
    2) Greene has his BEST year this year BY FAR
    3) The Pass Pressing D-Line will be the BEST the Jets have EVER HAD!
    4) The Bell-Landry tandem is the BEST Safety pairing the Jets have EVER HAD
    5) Young studs are going to have CAREER YEARS this year: MO, COPLES, ELLIS, WILSON, SANCHISE, GREENE, McNIGHT, and HILL!!! Yes HILL!!
    6) The Defense is going to be BY FAR the best and most feared in the NFL
    7) Tom Brady goes down this year – At 35 yo his time has come to GO DOWN
    8) Every ESPN “expert” picked the BIlls OVER the Jets! Really? NO!

51. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, from where I sit, and I would imagine from where you sit as well, Schliens absolutely is a clone of Stephen Hills. Both are 6’4″ 220 or so, both run sub 4.4 40s, Neither have any great body of work to go off of. Tell me, what do you see in those stats that does not equate to him being a clone. I hope it is not strictly based on where each was drafted, because that would be bogus. On a level playing field either one of these 2 players COULD become boom or bust. Wouldn’t you agree? If not, state why?

52. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Arte old school, does that come with a 100% guarantee? Especially the “By Far’s and the EVER’s?”

53. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, sure, you can miss in the 1st round on an O lineman, you can also miss on a QB, a RB, a D lineman, AND a WR. BUT, you can also hit on any of the above. There are no guarantee’s in the draft. But in my eyes, you have to at least address the more critical needs with those high picks, because the percentages are much better at the top of the draft then they are at the bottom. (Griffin, Allen, Ganaway? ring a bell?) Example, look at the Steeler’s, there biggest needs were along the O line, what did they do? Selected O lineman in round 1 & 2. Not a WR just because he was 6’4″ and ran a 4.30 40 And after all, who can argue with the Steelers track record in the draft?

54. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

64, you wouldn’t catch me within two states of any Democratic convention. Just trying to make the point that there have been many coaches in the past who would have been considered “defensive coaches” and have won. I just don’t think it has to be a prerequisite for a HC to be totally familiar with both sides of the ball. That is why he is given the power to go out and select the OC of his choice. As you remember, three years ago he wasn’t given that option, Mr T made that choice for him. If, and that once again is a huge IF, Sparano can somehow get this offense in the vicinity of 20 pts a game they will surprise a lot of folks. If not? This better then average defense can not sustain.

55. By diamond1957 on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

cant help but to have a flat feeling for this season, I hope its proven wrong. from what I have seen the defense is the only thing to look forward to, I cant blame Sanchez seems every year its different recievers and now its also a new coach, we need some consistancy not so much on the field(which wouldnt hurt by the way) but in the front office, do they understand the concept of building a team, this offensive player revolving door is killing them, how can Mark grow when every year key WR’s come and go, enough is enough already. and on the other hand how could you wait so long before making a move on RT, I heard people talking about the weakness last year.

56. By Tom Spicer on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Klecko, Woody can only give the team the best stadium & practice facility that he can which he has done. He has to believe what the GM tells him cause he doesnt know football & after the fact can fire the GM if the team falls flat on its face so there is nothing for Woody to do at this point. MR.T better hope this team does well or than he will be gone. Either him or Rex or both will go!

57. By Tom Spicer on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Diamond1957, I agree 100% & have been saying this for a long time!

58. By Tom Spicer on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, ” Harrison, Devito. I suppose they see more upside in Aaitui.” Devito is nothing special & I am not 100% sure I even no who Harrison or Aaitui is ? You dont get rid of your best pass rusher when you have problems rushing the passer.

59. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

And whatever you’re smoking is definitely the BEST stuff out there, Arte. scjoe, Rex’s Stone Age view of O goes far beyond most coaches’ neglect of any one aspect of the game, I think that’s becoming clear to even many of his defenders on this site.

60. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

GARY C, I referred to Hill as a luxury pick because both the draft and free agent groups were full of W.R’ers.However the O.line posisition was not deep in either the draft or free agency.As everone who follows the Jets knows O-line was clearly a greater need so to pick a an unfinished prospect at that point in time could certianly be questioned.There were options at that point like staying put at pick47 and drafting O.T Mike Adams from Ohio St.Who will start for the Steelers. At pick#77 we could have had w.r. Mohammed Sanu from Rutgers & kept our 4th rd pick for a safty or more O.line help which we still need. By drafting a guy who is clearly not ready to contribute at this point it just seems like it was a luxury we could not afford?

61. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,if I remember correctly you wanted Reilly Reiff or the Beast,Trent Richardson.Reiff,same school as Mike Haight,very eery similarities,richardson,hasnt even hit the field yet,and now in your best Carnack impersonation,even before he plays a down,Hill is the same as Shilens,because you are big with the heights and weights,Al Toon was the same as Shilens,I think Toon was a little better football player.

62. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, wouldn’t you say that proclaiming Dixon as “your best pass rusher” is more then a stretch? Don’t underestimate Devito and don’t underestimate Harrison just yet either. Have you seen the way this player moves around carrying 340# lbs? Why is it that he made the 53 man roster then? Give Rex a little credit for evaluating defensive personnel. I said this before, had Dixon made the 53 he would have been spending a lot of time on the inactive list. There is quality depth there. To bad we can’t say that for a lot of the other spots.

63. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

I am in agreement, Rex is not the problem although he has faltered, in some areas, in his 3 years as coach his record is better then any 3 year span of any coach in Jets history that includes the Tuna people, So I’m not so fast to throw Rex under the bus, I won’t blame Woody either he has given Mike -T all and then some to make this team elite.. Mike -T Has dropped the ball . Scouts have dropped the ball … Period

64. By GaryC on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,I expect great things from coples,him and Marc Gastineau are 6’5 and 285.If I go by your logic.

65. By Bleeds Green and White on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been a Jets fan since watching Joe Namath as a kid in the early 70’s, so I’ve watched this team a long time. Frankly, I don’t understand the negativity I’m seeing on this board. At the end of the last season, as I recall, these were the key issues that the Jets needed to address:

1. Get the locker room / players under control.
    2. Address the issue at RT.
    3. Develop a better pass rush.
    4. Shore up the safety position.
    5. Get Mark Sanchez to take it to the next level.
    6. Get some speedier WR’s so that we’ll have a deep threat.
    7. Try to increase the productivity of the run game.
    8. Get rid of an aging QB backup and get someone that can challenge MS.

Every one of those points has been addressed to at least some degree: (see next post)

66. By Bleeds Green and White on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

(continued from previous post)

1. Rex has gotten more involved this year and hired Sparano, a strong disciplinarian, no-nonsense guy for OC.
    2. Wayne Hunter is gone, Austin Howard and Jason Smith are in.
    3. Maybin keeps getting better and Coples is going to add to that.
    4. Laron Landry has been fierce out there in preseason, and adding Yeremiah Bell to the mix doesn’t hurt any.
    5. Mark Sanchez’s accuracy, poise and confidence has gone WAY up from last year. I see a huge improvement.
    6. We added Stephen Hill and Chaz at WR, and Kerley is improving.
    7. With the O-line leaks plugged and McKnight maturing behind Greene, our run game will definitely be better this year.
    8. Brunell is gone, and Tebow is challenging MS to step up.

67. By Bleeds Green and White on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Is it perfect? Heck no. But I think our defense is going to be fearsome, probably returning to the #1 spot, and I think our offense has improved to the level that we should succeed with that kind of defense on the field. Not to draw any undue comparisons, but right now our team makes me think of the 1985 Bears or the 2000 Ravens – an awesome defense, and an offense that was good enough to keep them in every game. That’s what I think we have this year. Whether we have the right formula and whether the breaks will go our way, only time will tell.

68. By SCfromNY on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I think the Jets will have a really good defense provided that they do not spend 3/4 of the game on the field. Very good? Yes! Comparing to 1985 Bears or 2000 Ravens, sorry no way and the Bears O was decent.

69. By scjoe on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, here’s the thing. Coples “could” become the next Mark Gastineau. How do we know right now? He hasn’t even played a down in an NFL regular season game yet. Stephen Hill OR Chaz Schilens “could” become the next Calvin Johnson. How do we know at this point? Neither has any real body of work to speak of. With that said, here is the million dollar question, how are you so sure that Hill has the inside track on Schilens to do so? Again, what do you see in his game that raises him so far above Chaz Schilens? And Richardson? Ditto on everything I just said. How do you know that if the Jets had selected him he would have got hurt like he did in Cleve? Different team, different camp, different circumstances.

70. By scjoe on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, it is very easy to go back and pick and choose players who, A- were the same height and weight B -played the same position C- went to the same school. Then make comparisons 10 -15 years later. Hindsight is 20/20. That is not the point I was trying to make. I am talking about real time. I am talking about two players who have almost identical credentials “before their careers begin” and still waitng for you to explain the differences in those credentials (before 2017)

71. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Is Bleeds Green and White actually Rex in disguise, that “Is it perfect? Heck no” makes me wonder. Nice try, Bleeds, but while I’ll give you an A for effort, the question is whether any of those issues have been addressed sufficiently. For instance, is picking up Schilens and drafting Hill enough at WR? Is Tebow really pushing Mark or is he pushing McElroy, possibly the best QB of the 3, onto the bench? You sound a little like another failed HC I know who keeps telling those of us with small businesses that we should be grateful for the roads and bridges the feds build, but never addresses what kind of tax rate we should pay for such things. Well, I’m tired of being talked down to, both by him and by our own HC.

72. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, there’s one distinction that Hill can make between himself and Schilens before Thanksgiving, and that’s if he stays healthy enough to play in every game up until then.

73. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

64, that was awsome dude!I was gonna say the same thing to Rex(ERRRR) I mean Bleeds Green & White. I cant believe you stole my thunder dude!LOL
    Actually BG & White did a really nice job and made some good points. But where has he been? He has obviously missed some great posts here from the regulars who have clearly illustrated the problems that plague this team. GARY C, I hope you are right about Coples, I have said from day one I was not a fan of this pick but I have also said I want to be wrong.I come here with no ego, just facts. Coples was constantly blasted by a lot of the pre-draft publications and the so-called experts as well.(continued

74. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Continuation- and as I have prevously stated I did watch quite a few of his games in college and in each instance the guys broadcasting the games mentioned his questionable motor? i mean,can we afford another guy with a questionable motor? As a projected high draft pick I paid close attention to him and was generally unimpressed.So I am wondering exactly why you are so sure he is gonna be such a beast? If your basing your arguments on a few pre-season game sacks O.K but I am still not sold yet. I can be,but I’m not yet! As for our luxury pick S.Hill who had as many drops as receptions, dude, he’s a work in progress. We shall see?

75. By GaryC on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,first of all,how do you compare college credentials and stats when certain conferences are so much better then others,you mean a guy with great creds coming out of the big 12 where it is a throwing league,as opposed to the Sec where it is more fifty fifty.I take Blackmon say against A.J.Green who went to Georgia,you know Blackmon will have more yards in the big 12 as opposed to Green in the Sec,but those stats will sway you to Blackmon,I am waiting for your Rebuttal.

76. By punchie on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

scjoe you forgot big MO. wilkerson,coples,pouha,ellis,devito,harrison. Mark my words WILKERSON and ELLIS will have breakout seasons. They are our beasts

77. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, RON A, Bleeds Green and White did his best to find some good points in the way the team looks so far, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But the reason I couldn’t work up more than a “Nice try” in response is because most of what he said is, to quote the Police, “the rhetoric of failure.”

78. By scjoe on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey Gary, I answer all of yours but you don’t answer all of mine. So, tell me, what do you see in Hill as a pro prospect that you don’t see in Schliens? Or visa versa? What is the down side on Schliens that you seem to think is an upside with Hill? Regardless of where each was drafted and where each went to school, or what conference they played in? Because at the end of the day everything is relitave. With that, let me try to answer your above question anyway. All conferences are pretty much 50/50. You can’t say this conference is entirely a passing conference and this one is entirely a running conference because that would not be accurate. Most teams evolve around their personnel year to year.

79. By scjoe on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, FYI, I will be heading for NY early tomorrow, will be attending the game Sunday, so, although I will bring my lap top with me, it may not be that convenient to post, but I will get around to it eventually.And just so you know, I will be looking closely at Hill and what he brings to the table, as I will with Schliens as well IF he is given an equal chance.

80. By Bleeds Green and White on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Well, after watching the Giants lose to the Cowboys tonight, I might admit to being “Bob” Ryan (don’t know how many others out there caught the graphics gaffe). But truth be told, I’m just another longsuffering Jets fan.

I’d have to disagree with the statement that the ’85 Bears offense was decent. It was just barely good enough to get the job done with an awesome defense on the other side of the ball that allowed it to stay in and win games. I remember watching the Bears that year, and Jim McMahon was a horrid QB. Watching him play was almost as painful as watching Ben Rothlisburger in his rookie year.

81. By Bleeds Green and White on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

I’ll also add that, as I stated in my original post, I’m NOT comparing the 2012 Jets D to the 1985 Bears D or the 2000 Ravens D. What I’m saying is, if you look at those 3 teams as a whole, they have a similar makeup, in that all 3 have a strong D and an offense that is decent at best, struggling most of the time, and that history has shown that teams with that makeup are capable of winning Super Bowls.

And ’64, politics aside, as this is no place for it, I agree with you that I’d like to have seen more done at the WR position. And quite honestly, I think it was a mistake to jettison Braylon Edwards – he had good chemistry with MS. I would have liked us to sign someone in FA, but I didn’t see anyone available that looked all that promising

82. By Bleeds Green and White on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

One other overlooked thing that’s coming back around to bite us is letting go of Steve Weatherford, which was a huge mistake. A great punter is a D’s best friend, and I actually think that losing SW is a contributing factor as to why our D only ranked 5th last year. Now we’re in a position where we’re cutting T.J. Conley and signing another guy only 5 days before the season starts? Not sure about that move, either.

83. By Bleeds Green and White on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

And yes, I do think Tebow is pushing Sanchez. There’s definitely pressure on him knowing that there’s at least some Tebow fans out there just waiting for him to make his first big mistake on the field before the “Tebow! Tebow!” chants start. That was never a factor with Brunell. And they’ve obviously been pushing each other in weight room. MS looks a lot stronger this year than in previous years.

MehcElroy is an adequate backup, nothing more. I saw nothing all that impressive in any of the preseason games from him. MS threw the ball with a lot more decisiveness, accuracy and technique. I have no questions at all that we’ve got the right guy as the starting QB out of MS, TT and GM. I agree that I’d rather see GM than TT if MS were injured.

84. By Bleeds Green and White on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

I also think the combination of Holmes, Hill, Schilens, Turner and Kerley has a chance to be productive, depending on how our new talents develop and how the chemistry gels or doesn’t gel. Most of those guys are either developing or new to our team or or both, so it remains to be seen what they’ll do.

85. By GaryC on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Ron Alexander,when JPP was drafted by the Giants people said he was a work In progress not having played a lot of college football,but he had the measurables,South Florida had another end who got all the publicity,can’t think of his name right now,who had more sacks then JPP.Sometimes you need to forecast ahead to see if a players potential has been reached,It looks like the giants hit a bullseye,that could be said of Gastineau,who went to a small good and that worked for the jets.we all know sometimes you hit and sometimes you don’t when it comes to the draft.

86. By GaryC on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

ron alexander ,that guy who played at South Florida was George Selvie,all american and hasn’t made an impact in the nfl.

87. By Jet Blue on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Spicer: Woody, as the owner of the team, has a bigger responsibility than just providing a state-of-the-art facility – which btw is shared with the 4 time SB winning Giants. Overshadowed yet again. Woody has the power to do whatever it takes to get this organization up to a level of performance that Jet fans can be proud of. As an organization, the Jets are still a joke to many football die-hards who know mediocrity when they see it. I am a loyal fan but I refuse to buy into the T-Rex philosophy of using band-aids to cover gaping wounds. Rex said that he figures on sticking around a long time as the Jets HC. I could not imagine Bill Belichick ever making a statement like that to the media. But then, he’d never have to.

88. By GaryC on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,nobody knows who will produce once they leave college,as herm edwards says,that is why you play the game,yes when it comes to draft picks as opposed to guys who hit the free agent wire there is a difference,Gholston proved after 2 years he was a bust,Coples and Hill need to play some to anoint them a failure or not,and saying all conferences are the same,ridicuolous,The Sec has won five consecutive championships.

89. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Hey Bleeds, I just happened to be fed up with Dems talking down to us at their convention the other day. Romney better not try it Sunday on “Meet the Press” ’cause I don’t like it from anyone including Rex, who does it more on any given Sunday than Obama and Romney combined do it in a week. And while I agree with some of your pts, I gotta say, nothin’ against your pen name — but only somebody who calls himself Bleeds Green and White could watch the 3rd-string QB take the team to its only TD and only 2-minute scoring drive of the entire pre and say that QB did “nothing all that impressive.” On other NFL teams, TDs and 2-minute drives are, believe it or not, relatively common, not so rare that fans don’t even notice them.

90. By SCfromNY on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Wether or not our WRs step up and play well is more contigent on the QB and the Ol than anything else. I think they are all decent with Holmes, if so inclined, a#1. Hill could be a #1. He looks confused sometimes BUT you can see there is speed and skill he just has to aclamate to the NFL.Hoping for the best Sunday but worried.

91. By SOCALJETFAN on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

All this wild-cat offense,let’s see how long that will last,everybody The Jets play will be looking out for it if Tebow comes to take the snaps,Let SANCHEZ get in there and take quality snaps,and glad they also traded RT position,finally SANCHEZ will get some protection that is needed.