• Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 5:20 PM - 5:35 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 2:30 PM - 3:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conferences: Coordinators Dennis Thurman, Marty Mornhinweg and Thomas McGaughey will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

Reuland, Aaitui Now Try to Catch On as Jets

Posted by Randy Lange on September 4, 2012 – 5:41 pm

There is no telling how long the three newest Jets will stick around. But all three waiver acquisitions come with good character references on the Green & White payroll.

TE Konrad Reuland, as you may have heard, is pretty close with Mark Sanchez.

“We used to play AAU basketball together, in sixth grade. We were seventh at the nationals that year,” Reuland reminisced for reporters in front of his new locker in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on Monday evening. “I was a year behind him in high school [at Mission Viejo HS in California] and we finished second in the country when he was a senior and I was a junior.

“We still both go back to the same place in the offseason, we throw together in the offseason. I think the timing’s there.”

Sanchez’s input was solicited by the Jets, but Mike Tannenbaum, Scott Cohen and the Jets’ pro personnel people made the waiver claim for other reasons as well. With Josh Baker’s season-ending knee injury, Hayden Smith’s continued seasoning on the practice squad, Dustin Keller’s squeaky hammy and Jeff Cumberland coming off a concussion, another tight end on the roster doesn’t hurt.

And at 6’4″, 260, Reuland’s got Cumberland’s size and it is hoped he’ll be throw a few effective blocks on the perimeter for the Jets’ ground game.

Have the Jets told him how he fits into the offensive scheme?

“It’s so early, my first day, so I’m not really 100 percent sure,” he said. “I’ve always tried to be a guy that can do everything. I don’t like to be categorized as a blocking tight end or a receiving tight end. It’s what I strive for.”

San Fran liked Reuland’s striving enough that Jim Harbaugh, his coach at Stanford, brought him to the 49ers as an undrafted free agent after last year’s lockout. He’s been a Niners final cut twice. Last season they brought him back to the practice squad for the whole season. This year he said there was a possibility of another return but “I wasn’t holding my breath.”

The other two waiver pickups had the Sparano/Miami connection. Clyde Gates was profiled Monday by reporter John Holt. And Isaako Aaitui, is more than just the letters in a couple of bad Scrabble racks. He is the other ex-Dolphin, a 6’4″, 315-pound DT, who said he was reeling just a bit from his release by the ‘Fins, who signed him to their practice squad for a week last season, when Sparano was their head coach, then re-signed him on Jan. 30 before making him a final cut on Friday.

“It’s been a shocking moment, still,” the UNLV product said. “The good part for me is that I’ve got another opportunity and I’ve got to take advantage of it.”

Aaitui (his name is pronounced ee-sah-AH-ko ah-ah-TOO-ee), like Reuland, is a first-year player who has some versatility to him. In other words, he’s not just a backup at the now crowded nose tackle position that includes Sione Po‘uha, Kenrick Ellis and undrafted FA Damon Harrison.

“Right now they want me to learn both” DT and NT, Aaitui said. “It doesn’t really matter to me what they want me to be. I’m going to do everything they’re telling me to do and do it at a high level.”

Versatility, picking up the system quickly, plain old determination and just a dash of health and roster luck will be key for these players to stick around long enough to get past Buffalo and maybe get on the plane for Pittsburgh the week after.

Updated: 7:48PM ET

Two Late Cuts Announced

The Jets this evening announced two roster cuts and no signings. One signing is imminent, though, because one of the cuts was punter T.J. Conley. The team was working out some new players this afternoon, among whom was at least one punter, but no announcement has been made about the new kicker’s identity.

The other cut, as luck would have it, was Aaitui. We’ll leave the section about Isaako above in place just as a reminder of how fleeting a player’s stay on a team at this time of year can be.

Also, the Jets have not confirmed reports tonight that their new punter is former Charger Robert Malone.

Tags: , , , , ,

55 Responses to “Reuland, Aaitui Now Try to Catch On as Jets”

1. By kk on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

News is out that they Conley, real smart only a few days from opening day. They continue with this craziness, what in the world is going on over there!!!

2. By scjoe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

History tells us that both of these players, possibly all three wil be bouncing around from the 53 to the PS. for a while We probably wont know their true value for at least another 5 or 6 weeks. As for Sunday”s game? Jets 16 Bills 10

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

I swear I just read on ESPN that Aaitui has just been cut and Karan, this all goes to your point yesterday about the sudden shift in the treatment of draft choices. Re-signing Hunter immediately, calling him the starter all yr, then hurriedly dumping him and hoping some unproven back-ups can do better? Waiting until 5 days before the opener to cut Conley and replace him with Malone? Okay, nobody’s that thrilled with Conley, least of all Westhoff, so maybe that’s not such a big deal. But like Karan said, this goes way beyond the haphazard if foolish treatment that Woodhead suffered a few yrs ago. I suspect these last-minute moves show that Mr T and Rex know they’re in trouble with this roster, but of course to say that would be “negative…”

4. By wayne on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

I know someone on here will start waxing poetic about Jets picking up GQ associates……Unless you’re getting megatron or someone of his ilk, the next best thing would be to get guys he will mesh well with in a short time….That is if your hope is that GQ will succeed…….But that isn’t your hope is it digits? THEY’RE NOT GONNA GET THEIR HANDS ON NO ALL PROS SO LET’S BE REALISTIC, FUNDAMENTALISTS.

5. By Jersey Joe on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

The TE and Receiver acquisitions I get, clearly this team needed both. The DT with the unpronounceable name has me wondering if Pouha’s back injury is more serious than we’ve been led to believe. Randy do you have any info on TJ Conley getting released and who his replacement might be. I hope Westoff doesn’t botch another punter decision (5 days before game one) ?? Add this (punter) latest move to the growing “why did we not address this problem sooner” list with RT, Blocking TE, FB, Red Zone Receiver,

6. By harry-o on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

good thing to have a deep roster
    some one always goes down
    but with out experience
    all you have are weak links
    stay healthy you all

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

I almost hate to point this out, since the worse this team gets, the more afraid some folks on this site are of serious analysis. But I just remembered the previous beat in the story of Conley, now cut in favor of Malone. It was Rex saying that “Some days, he looks like Ray Guy.” Shades of “Danny Woodhead’s done everything possible to make this team,” spoken by Rex the day before he was cut. Also, is this cutting and re-signing of Dixon in some way similar to what we did with T-Rich? I can’t say I understand all these kinds of moves — and I doubt Rex does either — but I know that when you re-sign Hunter for big $ immediately but ask Slauson to take a pay cut, something’s not right in Mr T’s office…

8. By Karank on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Alright good Dixon re-signed. I need to get more patience.

9. By SCfromNY on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

I would feel better about two of the players if Sporano’s team had at least more wins than losses. You couln’t make the Dolphins but we take them. I think the leagye should drug test tanny.

10. By since shea on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

What gives with Mr.T??? He just gets the Miami NT from his “mini-draft”, then cuts him a day or two later? Not that I am sticking up for Aaitui but how is he going about doing business? How can you promote a revolving door policy?? Thats how we never seem to accumulate talent. We are always a ‘work in progress”? Thats how Sanchez never gets to work with the same WR’s etc, (unlike Peyton who knew his WR’s so well having worked with them for years) The Ravens just let go a decent RT. Will we sign him? Probably not because Mr T just cut the punter and is trying to sign another?

11. By since shea on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Mr T thought we were too deep on the D line? So he cuts Dixon, Richardson and now the Miami guy. Why did he claim him off waivers in the first place if he wasnt going to keep him? Only excuse I can see is some health issue or not passing a physical. This has become so embarrassing.

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Hey danny, here’s a prediction from NFL.com. Try reading the posts under it, too: “Ryan won’t survive the season. He says he can’t fathom being fired by the Jets, this year’s team could be his best one yet, and his defense is special. Sandwiched in between these reveries, he’s taking passive-aggressive digs at his general manager, distancing himself from issues, hinting he wanted nothing to do with the drafting of Stephen Hill. Really? This was meant to be nose-to-the-grindstone time in Florham Park, but Ryan is still talking. This team is a media circus. Undisciplined. Lacking weapons on offense. Acting like they’ve arrived. I don’t see it. The Jets will sputter out of the gate as the season opens — and Ryan won’t be here when it ends.”

13. By Jet FAn Since '64 Tom on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

“Conley had a 44-yds-per-punt avg, which ranked 26th in the league this preseason. His 37.9 net avg in 4 preseason games ranked him 19th. Malone, a UFA 2 years ago, played in 10 games for the Buccaneers in 2010. He ranked 30th in punt average, 25th in net avg and 28th in punts inside the 20 that season. Malone had a 44.8 avg (26th in NFL) & 39.9 net avg (19th) in the pre for the Chargers.” With little difference in these stats, my guess is those 2 shanks in one game just turned Westhoff off to Conley in general. He seemed to sour similarly on Weatherford but SW had had some big games and moments for us while Conley really hasn’t, so I don’t expect to see TJC on this yr’s SB winner. This perpetual upheaval at K and P is still weird, though.

14. By joeyjets12fla on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

wow 2 hours and 7 mins. between post yeah i’d say thats fleeting. i just got the phonetics down, ee-sah-AH-ko ah-ah-TOO-ee.

15. By Jet FAn Since '64 Tom on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, Mark sure sounds cool with the Wildcat: “Sanchez, who probably will come out of the game in certain Wildcat situations, offered curt responses when asked about it. Asked if the O will be radically different when they unveil the WC, he said, “Talk to coach. I don’t know.” Later, he said, “Coach Sparano think it’s a good idea, so I think it’s a good idea.” After a pause, he added, “Sorry, I’m not trying to be a jerk about it, I promise.” What a foolish waste of time when we always had the option of simply putting MS up against McElroy and a 3rd QB better than Stanton. And of course, it’s verboten in Jetland to repeat what Holmes, the only blue-chip WR on the team, said about how distractions like the WC destroys a QB’s rhythm.

16. By IRA on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Very happy Dixon is back. Still think Richardson should have made the roster but i do like Dixon and he has a knack for tipping passes.
    You knew since camp opened Westhoff was looking to upgrade at punter. Did they with Malone? Who knows guess time will tell. Can’t fault the move Conley was too inconsistent. Just add him to the list of 25 or more punters now since the day they cut Hentrich back in 1993. They have to get this punter spot right this year since field position will probably make or break this year. You can’t expect this offense to go on 80 plus drives too often so pinning the other teams back and letting our defense set up the offense will be huge.

17. By Mike on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Ok looks like the jets are ready to roll……

18. By GaryC on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I made a comment when these three guys were signed, that they looked like the Training camp fodder that you see at training camp,so far one down,and two more to go.I also said that Jordan White and Antonio Allen still aren’t safe either.This practice squad changes minute by minute.

19. By IRA on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Have to keep an eye on Folk this week. 4 days before their first game they change holders on him. I would think 4 days would be enough to get their chemistry down but lets hope it doesn’t cause a missed FG.
    BTW Greene has avg 5 yds plus per carry in his games vs the Bills.

20. By Jet FAn Since '64 Tom on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Now it’s the Jet FANS that are the problem, not the underperforming Jet players who land inappropriately outsized contracts: “They’re like sharks,” Wayne Hunter said. “If they don’t like you, they let you know right off the bat. And even if you’re doing good, they might just not like you for the heck of it. It’s brutal over there. Those fans, they know what they want, and they pretty much demand it. So if you don’t give it to them, they’ll let you know.” Poor Wayne, he “did good” for 2 games and expects a free ride for the next whole season. And speaking of excuses, Ira, why do you treat the Jets’ O like a spoiled kid? We’re gonna have to learn to have 80-yd TD drives — in the 1st qtr, too! — if we ever expect to win a SB.

21. By Karan on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

since shea, Aaitui just got cut because he tore his ACL in practice, have to feel bad for the guy. Just read an article that we head his heart set in Miami. He can go back now since he’s been released by us but he would just be placed on IR. That’s the life in the NFL, you never know when you can be jobless or injured. Hard to make it in the NFL, both business wise and as a player. However, I am glad they re-signed Dixon, never understood the release in the first place.

22. By Karan on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Yes, I think your right Jet fan 64, Tannenbaum might be worried now about the roster, that’s why all these last minute changes are occurring. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sign a TE before the season and release Konrad Reuland. I’m actually hoping they sign a TE with some experience.

23. By Karan on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I feel slightly better about the offense. Obviously, the players that we add on offense in 2010 would be great to have back but we can’t reverse time so will have to do with the 2012 players. Mark does have enough weapons so no doubt, Keller will be his no. 1 target, then Holmes, next should be Greene, Kerley, Turner and hopefully he develops enough chemistry with Cumberland and Hill. I just hope the O-line holds up enough. I feel better about the line now that Hunter is gone but at the same time I am worried if he had enough help up front. I like Austin Howard but his inexperience will show at times no doubt, hopefully it won’t show up too much. During the preseason, there were reports that Ducasse is finally starting to get it but it is preseason so….

24. By Karan on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

…..won’t look too much into that. I’m not at all worried about the defense. We have enough depth, just would love the OLBs and even DEs to record sacks and bring a ton of pressure. Our third down defensive conversions are still a thing of concern though. Saw of couple of those in the preseason, The D needs to work on that more. There should be plenty of running. The way I see it, we have 4 guys that will try to ground and pound it: Greene, McKnight, Powell and yes Tebow. If this Reuland is still on the roster, hope he along with Conner will contribute in a big way to pass protection, blocking, etc.

25. By scjoe on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Ira, there was no “upgrade” at punter, just change. Change for the sake of change is not always a good thing. In retrospect, and I know decisions made then are always much easier, but in retrospect a late round pick should have been used sometime in the past few years to select best available punter (PK as well) because both are such an important part of the game that so many take for granted. ( See Oakland Raiders) And you are dead on about this year being even more important then previous years.

26. By robertpapalia on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I guess I have been banned from the Jets blog Randy. Anyway I will say it again. The Jets will go either 4 and 12 or 5 and 11. Rex will be out the door at the end of the season and Tannenbaum probably will follow him. The offense will be a mess and the team will be in disarray. Then we will see what Woody does next.

27. By kw65Fan on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Boy, really scraping the bottom of the barrell for punters. And his average was worst than conley’s. Yea…your right Tom64…had to be thoase two shanks…surely got under Westhoff’s skin…can see it on sidelines when they went directly to him. for once I have to agree with Theisman…loved his interview where he said Sanchize better get a new mentality this year and give its all out in every phase. He said something else but not sure Randy would allow it. Just be the QB…the STARTING QB….and take nothing from no one. Stop this lovey dovey garbage with Tebow. come out blazing…we hope

28. By GaryC on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

this is an optimistic jet fan,shotty,hunter,plastico stone mason,leonhard smith,are gone.mangold is here from the start,coples will give us pass rush up the middle.More speed on the outside with receivers.I will let the pessimists present their case,and I know they will.

29. By Sarasota Sam on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

The Jets are going to need the best punter in the league.

30. By kleckofan on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

In the sprit of total transparency I must say that I live across the state border in Oregon, 8 miles from Conley’s hometown of Walla Walla, WA. Since many often complain about letting Weatherford go lets look at last yr’s numbers:
    Conley: 92 punts (among most 3 and outs in the league!), avg 42.7
    Weather': 82 punts, avg 45.7
    Conley: net 38.8
    Weather': net 39.2
    Conley: 32 kicks inside the 20
    Weather': 25 kicks inside the 20
    Conley: avg return yds against 7.5
    Weather': avg return yds against 9.9
    I look at the net, inside the 20 and return yds as impactful. Is there enough of a difference to be cutting a guy 5 days prior to the season? Lunacy. I know the two shanks (hate to even write the word) were dreadful, but…
    Fire Tanny now, please

31. By Tom Spicer on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, Either I did not make myself clear or you did not understand what I said Dixon is/was our best pass rusher out of our 3 down lineman in our 3-4. Dont count Coples he was not on the team. Devito, Pouha, Eliis & Wilkerson were & Dixon was our 3-4 D line rotation last year. Pouha would come out of the games on passing downs & it would be Devito & Wilkerson at the ends with Dixon at the NT. Even this year Wilkerson is 1 starting DE. Devito is the other starting DE but we all know he will be out of the game on every passing down & Coples will be worked in to take his place on a permanant basis. So there goes your 2 DE spots. NT you have Pohua & Ellis even thou I like both guys neither 1 can rush ther passer. With Wilkerson, Coples & Dixon

32. By Tom Spicer on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

on the D line & Maybin & Pace bringing the pressure from the outside. I can really see us bringing the heat this year. Anyway this is all a moot point cause they resigned Dixon anyway.

33. By scjoe on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, exactly when did you move over to the “optimistic” side of the aisle? Just since they got rid of all of those players you mentioned above? Ok, here is my view from a “realists” point of view, not a pessimists point of view. 1- Can this offense sustain drives long enough to keep this D from playing more then 30 min per game? 2-Can all of the new parts (WRs mainly) jell in time to make a playoff run? 3-Can the RT spot (whoever) play somewhat consistently run blocking and pass blocking? 4- Can Landry stay healthy the entire season? 5- If so, will he get ANY help from the rooks? 6-Can a 2 headed monster at QB really work? And finally 7- Can MS cut those INTs at least by 1/3rd? In half would be asking to much.

34. By Tom Spicer on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I would love for the Jets for the Jets to play more 4-3 this year. I cant wait to see a lineup of Coples & Wilkerson at the DE’S, Ellis & Pouha at the DT’S, Harris at MLB & Maybin & Davis at the OLB’S. Youth & speed on the field my fellow Jet fans youth & speed!

35. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, Karan, Arte predicted the Reuland pickup the day before and was psyched about it when it happened, but I had to remind him that the guy has yet to play a down in the NFL. God love ‘im, that’s Arte for ya, the guy who also told us when we picked up Tracy Wilson late in a yr in which our safetys had been exposed that he was a “beast.” (Rex tried to sell us on that lie, er, line too when somebody foolishly cut Cook, who then got the highest honor in Rex’s book — he was picked up by the Ravens.) Nice Conley/Weatherford comp, kleckofan, I think that confirms that Westhoff was just sick of looking at Conley. Unfortunately, those kinds of impulsive moves, which Rex has become famous for, aren’t always the smart moves.

36. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

KleckoFan, Thanx, that was a really nice job you did.IRA makes a good point(if only half heartedly)about replacing the holder a few days before the first game.
    I’m not sure that was such a great idea? So now all the questions we have debated are about to be answered, Will Sanchez make the step up and become a top 10 Q.B? Will Landry be as good as he looked in the pre-season? Have we really solved our O.line problems? Will Coples and Hill be boom or busts? Can our ancient L.B trio be able to keep up with opposing running backs and T.E’s on 3rd down plays? Do we have a C.B who can stay with the slot recievers? Did we choose the right kicker and punter? Stay tune for Big Ron’s updates throughout the season fans! GO JETS!

37. By GaryC on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Sanchez needs to be what Theismann says and have some cojones,Do what Simms did when the Giants kept playing Brunner,and what other number 1 quarterbacks had to do when sharing the spotlight with the number 2.Tell Rex and Tanny if you have more confidence in Tebow,then you don’t need me,and tell rex when I get the team inside the 20 I will take them in and not Tebow.

38. By Charliejet on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Listen, if Andy Reid is let go, should the Jets grab him next year and make Ryan Defensive coordinator (which I don’t think he would actually take). What do you think?

39. By DKM on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Im glad to see more die hards here think it is time for Mr. T to go wich i been saying since before the Draft cause of the inability to recognize the needs of this Team and go after available FA,s to make this Team better, instaed with the exception of a second round DP and a meaningless swap of OL man, we where exposed once again to Mr. T’s awfull judgment of talent. And the rift seems to finally reached the Team with the HC making his feelings known and also giving us a little inside to whom realy is running the show and exposing Rex as just another employee.
    I for one hope deeply in my heart come Sunday that all of my opinions voiced on this very Forum will be crushed and im the one who schould keep his thought to myself.

40. By DKM on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Woody will not leave until he wins a SB, and for us whom wish he would just sell the Team to preferable CM and Investors, have to suffer more thru mediocre Football and be happy if we have a half way decent season. But a Business man like Woody has to come at some point to the conclusion this isnt working with this current Regime ( after this year) and i pray that he is smart enough to hand over the reigns to people who know Football off and on the Field.
    There plenty of great Coaches (Gruden) and FO personel (Polian) on the Market to turn this Franchise around

41. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

DKM, one of the reasons I’ll be fine with a President Romney is because that might convince Woody to move on to the biggest game of all, politics, and take an ambassadorship somewhere, allowing Curtis Martin to buy the team. And I’ll be fine with another round of President Obama because that’ll keep the clock ticking on Rex’s prediction of the Jets ever meeting him in the White House. So I put Woody’s selling the team in the next few yrs right where I put Rex’s getting fired, at about 50-50. Good one on the red zone, GaryC, not the least of the many absurdities about getting Tebow is that the RZ is where Sanchez played best last yr, so who needs Tebow? Those who’d rather sell T-shirts than win games, that’s who.

42. By scjoe on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, Devito, Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis, and Harrison all have some pass rushing ability as well as Dixon. But aside from Ellis and Harrison I think you will see all the others moving between the DE and DT position when they run their version of the 4-3.You can even add Maybin to that mix (DE) Rex wants his d lineman to be interchangeable to create mis matches. I know you saw how much Ellis was in the backfield during this preseason. So I think overall we will see a whole lot more pressure put on the QB this year then in any previous years.

43. By GaryC on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe,you have to be optimistic until at least the first game is played,I have stated many of the jets faults, the slow linebackers,the smurf cornerbacks after Revis and Cromartie,the lack of an all purpose back,Sanchez taking more control of the huddle,in this political year I consider myself a more moderate,seeing strengths and weaknesses,I am not JetFanTom, or IRA who see things totally opposite..

44. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Once again I’m puzzled, well, it’s the Jets so I shouldn’t be surprised, giant’s get this kid Bennett at TE, not us even thought it’s one of our main needs, naturally Mike -T, never a mention never a thought. next this kid Ogletree at W/O Dallas picked up, not sure when ..again a main need for us. I watched these two kids play last night both are big strong athletic.Again Mike-T and company asleep at the wheel.What are they getting paid For..Giants didn’t really need a TE and Dallas didn’t really need a W/O “WE DID” and still do, Stop with the Fire Rex nonsense let me repeat myself Rex in his 3 year span is better then any 3 year span of any Jets HC including the Tuna in history. Or was Schotty better then you’ll all admit

45. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Cont. can’t have it both ways people, As bad as Sanchez played. someone took us to 2 AFC championship games and a 500 season, I’ll say it AGAIN best 3 year span ever for the NY Jets, I know I complain about all that’s wrong with this team, But, for all that’s wrong. These Last 3 seasons Jets have finally after many many years grained respectability and basically feared though out the league.. . So Now I ask the fire Rex genius what is it you can’t have it both ways Rex got us there or was Schotty far better then you’ll all admit.. Let’s hear your logic I’m going by what has already transpired not what might be. Yes I’m still in agreement Mike -T must go Sanchez must go Tebow must go .and in Need of a W/O RB and TE

46. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Don’t kid yourself, GaryC, in Ira’s less politically correct moments (re the Jets, that is, not the election), he knows of and admits to the many serious problems of this team and this org. I suspect that’s partly why the #1 Jet Fan often needs, curiously, several days after a game or several months after a season to even start posting again. As for me, what really makes me wonder about some folks on this site is the way they seem to equate recognizing problems with admitting defeat. Good thing they’re not in charge of the economy! Anyone who can’t see the problems plaguing this org must simply either like losing or, like Jersey Rich said the other day, see the Jets as children who can’t be allowed to go their own way in the grown-up world.

47. By Tom Spicer on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Finally a post where I agree with Tom 64. ” so who needs Tebow? Those who’d rather sell T-shirts than win games” Woody Johnson anyone!

48. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

MJV, there’s no question that if the Rex era had always looked like Sanchez’s first 3 or 4 games, with an efficient QB that could score and a ferocious D, I’d be a huge fan. Unfortunately, that edition of the Jets only shows up occasionally. I certainly can’t blame Rex for moves that Mr T may have made but with Rex’s love of the Wildcat, it’s hard to believe he opposed the Tebow deal. And anyone who thinks we wouldn’t have been better off just letting Sanchez sink or swim this yr with a little push from Mc and maybe somebody like Orton or Campbell just isn’t being honest. Spicer, you and I agreed on most stuff until you started defending Sanchez to the death come what may. You’ll get over it, just like I did, one of these painful Sundays.

49. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64, Under Rex and Schotty the wildcat worked fine with Brad Smith, and worked well, I happen to know of at least 3 games won WITH B- SMITH under center, busting through with a few Runs of over 30 yards , Now if Tebow can match that same skill and intensity I’m willing to give this wildcat crap a look, problem is , we don’t have LT T- Rich . Edwards, Plax, a good TE even J- Co to spread the field.. so unless Rex has some sort of secret weapon to go along with his secret Offense , I don’t see it fooling anyone

50. By Gregg from CA on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Okay, I’ll admit it – didn’t watch the preseason, didn’t pay any attention to roster spots on Special Teams, but for Tebow’s sake! Conley was the placeholder? Why not Tim? I thought that a LOT of teams use the second team QB as a holder, and in the mind-scheme of picking Timmy up in the first place, why WOULDN’T you be gearing him up for holding duties? OMT!!! At this point, it would be an even bet to have Folk work with Tebow, rather than the new(est) guy.

BTW Tom, you complained about Westhoff “just being sick of Conley”, then turn around and blame Rex for making “an impulsive move”. Since when is trusting the judgement of one of the most respected coaches in the league “impulsive”? (cont)

51. By Gregg from CA on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

(cont) If you’re gonna call someone “impulsive”, it should be Westy… but then, he’s helped a lot of players fix their mechanics over the years, and he might have been looking more at the potential of the player, rather than just his stats. I’ve heard MANY players say something to the effect of “I’ve learned more from that man than ANY coach I’ve ever had”, and that’s not just the skill players (P, K).

Also, remember that Weatherford was the complainer and WANTED to be let go. I don’t know that the decision was so much about stats there, either. Sometimes, more goes on in the back room than only what the TEAM wants.

52. By Gregg from CA on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Yes, I’ve been sick over the past week, so please forgive me if I’m rambling and sound delirious – because I probably AM! <grin<

53. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

MJV, I agree with you, I’m not saying the Wildcat never works or never worked for us. But it worked when we had a stronger O across the board and when we didn’t seem to have faith that Sanchez could become an elite QB. Now that the goal is for him to become that, it seems like a big step backward to be increasing Wildcat calls in MS’s 4th yr. Besides, both Smith and Kerley throw the ball better than Tebow ever will. Gregg, maybe you missed the posts from others showing how Conley and Malone’s stats are almost exact, so I’m not sure how great a move it is to bring in a new holder. And I wasn’t praising Westhoff for dumping Conley over 2 shanks, just like I didn’t praise Rex for wanting to bench Kerley over 1 fumble.

54. By GaryC on Sep 8, 2012 | Reply

Jetfantom,Giving love to Brad Smith,will wonders ever cease.

55. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 8, 2012 | Reply

That’s funny about me, Smith, and the Wildcat, GaryC, but I will remind you: (1) I said many times that the Jets should’ve given Smith a shot as QB, not all the other nonsense they roped him into, and (2) Who DOESN’T throw better than Tebow? And I’m including that teenage girl in Florida…