• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Lots to Like About Mark’s Metrics in the Opener

Posted by Randy Lange on September 10, 2012 – 2:32 pm

One of the main storylines to Sunday’s season-opening success against the Bills was the accuracy of the quarterback’s throws. And the secret to Mark Sanchez’s day was really no secret.

“Fundamentally, Mark had great confidence in his protection,” head coach Rex Ryan said this midday at his day-after-the-game news conference. “When guys did come open, he was ale to step up and make throws. He was very accurate with the football. There were probably a couple of throws he wishes he had back, but overall I thought he did a tremendous job.

“I just saw that confidence. I saw it in the pregame. I’m not so sure I’ve ever seen that before. I’ve seen him have some great games, but he was bouncing around, zipping it. I sensed he was really feeling it.”

Sanchez said as much following the 48-28 verdict.

“Just having the time to throw is the most important thing,” he said after his efficient 19-for-27, 266-yard, three-TD, one-INT game. “We’re putting a lot of pressure on those guys up front to give me more time and they did a great job doing that. Then the wideouts made great plays. They’re not all perfect. The balls aren’t all perfect, but our guys found a way to catch them and get some yards after the catch, which is nice.”

Yes, we can caution that Sanchez beat up on a young secondary, going over the top of second-year man Aaron Williams and first-round pick Stephon Gilmore on the corners and that he’ll need to ace tougher tests ahead, beginning with the Steelers at Pittsburgh on Sunday.

But while many of the criticisms Mark’s heard in his first three seasons are valid, some of his shortcomings came against imperfect defenses like the Bills. Today Sanchez deserves his kudos for trusting his line as it kept the Buffalo D-line herd out of his pasture and getting Sunday’s job done.

■ Sanchez’s 70.4% completion rate was just what fans and reporters have been clamoring for. It was the fifth-best of his career, behind the 76.5% (13-for-17) vs. Carolina and 80% (12-for-15) at Cincinnati in the playoffs in ’09, and 70.8% (17-for-24) vs. Jacksonville  and 71.4% at Buffalo last year.

■ No one was beating him up more than he was for that too-hard, too-inaccurate shovel for Jeff Cumberland that turned into his only giveaway of the game. But while it’s not statistically honest to lop off that first drive from his passing numbers for the day, it may be revealing to at least note that after the interception, Sanchez was 17-for-23 for 248 yards and his three scoring strikes. The 148.2 rating for that line would have been the highest of his career if it had been his line for the entire game.

■ One of the Jets’ aims for this game was to control third down, and at least offensively they got that done. Their 71.4% third-down conversion rate was their best in a game since late 2004, when they converted 11 of 14 (78.6%) against Seattle. They converted their first six third downs, all on Sanchez completions, the best from the start of a game since they hit their first seven in the “Win And We’re In” game vs. the Bengals in ’09. And Sanchez’s passing line (8-for-10, 92 yards, one TD, 138.3 rating) was one of the best of his career.

“I think he’s got a great grasp of this system even though it’s a new system,” Ryan said today. “He knows the opponents, he now knows what it takes to play in this league. He said when he came in as a rookie that one of these days he was going to be a strength of our team. You look at it now, he certainly is.”

And Rex, Mark, Tony Sparano, the line and the entire offense know that in six days it’ll be “What have you done for us lately?” Let’s see if Sanchez and company can string two together.

Revis’ Head

Ryan confirmed that CB Darrelle Revis suffered a “slight concussion” in the fourth quarter, when he extended to trip up RB C.J. Spiller and got a Bart Scott foot to the back of his helmet.

“I know the NFL protocol. I’ll always lean on our trainers and doctors,” Rex said about the early prognosis for Revis to play the Steelers back in his hometown. “Anything with any injury at all but especially a head injury of any kind, I’m going to err on the side of caution, so we’ll see how he progresses during the week.”

The coach had no updates on the hamstrings of LB Bryan Thomas and WR Patrick Turner, injured during the game, and TE Dustin Keller, who had one catch for 7 yards in his limited action due to his sore hamstring from the Carolina preseason game.

Corrections Ahead

Not all was perfection vs. the Bills. Ryan mentioned that “we have some things to correct, and we look forward to getting on the practice field to getting that done.”

One was the defense’s run tackling. Credit surely goes to C.J. Spiller for making a number of Jets miss as he rolled to 169 yards on 14 carries, including his 56-yard TD run and his 49-yard run to the 2-yard line to set up another score.

“The tackling was poor, to say the least,” Ryan said. “Sometimes when you get up like that, you can’t have any kind of lapse, and I kind of felt we did. I’m not taking anything away from Buffalo. They certainly did a good job on offense.”

So good that their 7.5 yards per carry was the 11th-highest average by an opponent in Jets history and the second-highest in the last 10 years. The only opponent better in that span was the Bengals with their 7.8 in the Jets’ ’09 playoff win.

Also mentioned by the coach: RB Shonn Greene’s “uncharacteristic” two fumbles, both recovered by the Jets, one by Greene at the Bills 43 in the second quarter, the other by D’Brickashaw Ferguson in the end zone inside the final two minutes, with the ball going back to the Buffalo 1. And Rex said “I never want to see Yeremiah [Bell] pitch that ball, either,” on the Bell recovery of the LaRon Landry force against Spiller.

“Inside the Jets” Returns

“Inside the Jets,” hosted by Bob Wischusen, is back on the air tonight from 7-8 p.m. at the Grasshopper in Morristown. ESPN New York 98.7 will broadcast the show, whose guests are expected to be WR Stephen Hill and T Austin Howard.

Yessss!

Marv Albert and Rich Gannon were in the CBS booth for the game. It was the 98th Jets game Marv has called in his illustrious career, and it was the 11th Jets opener he worked — but the first since 1995 at Miami for NBC.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

67 Responses to “Lots to Like About Mark’s Metrics in the Opener”

1. By SCfromNY on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

No complaints about Sanchez’s work. Very few QBs have a perfect game. I hate when a team allows garbage time scores.

2. By Tom Spicer on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

“Just having the time to throw is the most important thing,” This is Mark’s qoute above I will translate this for you guys to english. See I can throw the ball if the O line actually gives me some time.

3. By uncle joe on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Well add Fred Jackson to the laundry list,,,I mean the Landry list! This guy is killing people out there. If this guy stays healthy there are gonna be alot of jobs opening up for wr,rb and te’s.

4. By ArtSoCal on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Give Sanchez adequate pass protection and he will connect. Any sure handed WR who can get open will triumph. Tannenbaum needs to focus on providing ‘consistent’ pass protection for each and every game, not just the easy ones.

5. By dougmc on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

How ya like them apples? All you naysayers alright today? The only guy in the media who got it right was Jim Nance on Francesa’s Sunday morning show. Nance said he thinks the Jets were underatted and he had a good feeling about their offense. Francesa says no one scares you on the Jets excepy Revis, Scared now Mike? Mark Schlerath thinks the Jets are a debackle and will be 1 and 3 by week 4 and turn to Tebow and he will fail miserably as well. Wildcat worked just fine. O-line was superior. Receivers looked great. Sanchez was awesome except for shovel pass that was picked off. Except for Ira and Karan, most off you wrote the Jets off before pre=season even started because of the Tebow acquisition So many people eating crow today. Stop Hatein

6. By JR on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Great Game…I do agree with the garbage scores they were given…but no matter we still won. I think Rex was holding out on us during the preseason…just the opposite of last year. Smart play!

Awesome job by all. Good to hear Marv back in the booth.Nobody calls a JET game like him. Great announcer but that Rich Gannon guy…could we find nobody else? How about Buttle or Ray Lucas? Gannon has got tot go back to wherever..

7. By Jey Sanmuganathan on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Great start to a season. Got a tough one next week in Pittsburgh, but this game gave the boys a lot of confidence. Way to go boys, nice way to come and make people think.

8. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Wildcat didn’t do anything, dougmc, and the fans were booing it before halftime. I don’t make hard-and-fast predictions because there are so many variables, but I’ll predict this: If the O line is really back and Sanchez can keep throwing like that to all his receivers, the Wildcat will be a a novelty by mid-season and Tebow will be gone next yr. The problem with talking in text messaging with terms like “naysayers” and “haters,’ which is really for 12-yr-olds, is that it doesn’t take into account the actual content of anything. Sure, I’m a “hater” for advocating, practically every time I post, that we catch up with the rest of the pass-first NFL, which we finally did yesterday for the first time since, oh, when Holmes entered the lineup.

9. By No one cares what Blinka thinks on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

No body cares, but other than the second half defense I was very happy.

Some points and observations, thank you:

1. thought the refs did an ok job. The one consistant thing I notice is they don’t give the offensive player the good spot of the ball. They seem to place the ball where it should be to the naked eye.

2. Sanchez can be real good if he has time.

3. I would like to see an improved running game

4. can’t understand why players take the stupid media so seriously. Holms has to grow up, but Bart Scott should know better. Just answer their dumb questions and move on. Jeesh.

Eh, who cares what I think,
    #54

10. By Tom Spicer on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Howard who held Mario williams in check & the whole O line giving up no sacks amazing job! Kerley out of the dog house as a WR & a punt returner. Hill I said I thought the kid would be good & I know it is only 1 game but he looked real good. Sanchez amazing job being aggressive reading the D looking off the Saftey & using pumps fakes to get his throws off great job. Holmes being the guy he is supposed to be. All around great job by everyone on O. The only problem I have is they took there foot off of the gas & just tried to run the ball to milke out the game. Brady & the Pats just keep throwing like it is the BCS or something. Sanchez had 266 yards he could have easily EASILY HAD 300 had they stayed aggressive!

11. By steven on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Jets never have been GREAT tacklers.
    Tackling is a basic art. Just wast Landry and polamalu. they will teach the Jets how to tackle. Can’t be a GREAT defense if you can’t tackle. Part of the SOJ slogan includes “penalties, turnovers and missed tackels.” I’m hoping this team can break the mold of the SOJ teams.

12. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Blinka # 54 I hear ya and agree1000% . Although I have to laugh at these guy’s calling people naysayers, haters I told you so , It’s one game, You guys act like we just picked these players off a loading dock and gave them jobs. It’s a miracle… HELLO !!!! That’s what they get paid Hundreds of $million for to play a game and score points WIN, I mean I can go there drop the ball throw INT’s and not score points for a few grand . Lets see how they do in the next 3-4 games than I’ll rejoice . talk to us naysayers in 5-weeks than we will adjust accordingly” K”

13. By Jet Blue on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Time-outs? Penalties? Clock Mgmt? Still need to manage the game better. Play the game for 4 quarters with intensity. These are basic football principles no matter what the score is or who you are playing. The better teams will make you pay for not playing and coaching intelligently. Walking to the side-line on a 3rd and 3 & taking a DoG penalty is inexcusable. I can hear it now. I’m a naysayer. I’m not real fan. Nope. Just looking at the schedule and thinking about what the outcome of this game would have been if there were a real football team on the other side-line. Accept the gift and work harder to correct the many mistakes that will kill this team down the road. That’s the message that Rex should be sending to the team.

14. By wayne on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey fellas don’t go be typical Jets fundamentalists. They won ONE game against the Bills. From what y’all saw yesterday, the Bills don’t look to be better than the Jets. As a matter of fact, I picked this game as the one they were most likely to win….The “naysayers” have been in no way shape or form proven wrong…….Yet. I’m often very critical of GQ , but also believe with proper support and with some comp he can be a successful QB. So am please with his production sunday……Big tests are a coming…..That big rookie WR looks like he might turn into something. Turning Holmes into the 3rd option is also a good thing. He obviously can’t handle the burden of being the number one guy……DON’T GO OVERBOARD AFTER ONE WIN.

15. By Viveca on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Real happy for Mark. He’s growing up in front of our eyes. Most everything worked offensively but on my wish list is a more explosive, elit, running back
    and a blocking tight end. Most everything else seems to be in place. Not sure Tebow will help, maybe more of a distraction, time will tell. If Mark develops into a elite qb, we don’t need gimmicks like the wildcat. Kudos to Sparano and to Howard. Howard might be a diamond in the rough. Nice to see Mark having time to throw. Defense was a small disappointment. Poor tackling- and where was the pass rush? What happened to Coples? Didn’t hear Maybin’s name once. Was he playing?
    What happened to Demario Davis/Ray Lewis? Over all though a great day to be a Jet fan!

16. By obewan on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

I thought we would have a chance to romp them .
    The thing I like was very few mental mistakes o-line outstanding!

17. By GaryC on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

so it was all because of holmes that Sanchez had a great game,Holmes was there last year when Sanchez was lousy too.JetFanTom,you need to get Holmes off that pedestal that you are putting him on.he will be third banana in time behind Hill and Kerley.

18. By GaryC on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

I find it laughable that all the Tebow supporters are now saying that the bills are lousy,anything to make Sanchez’s accomplishments less worthy,The media shills who said the bills would beat out the jets for second all of a sudden are throwing them under the bus.It only makes the football media look ridiculous.

19. By joeyjets12fla on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

i have no problem running the ball late in the game up 27, use up the clock. what botthers me is giving up the last 14 points. being up by 27 you can gamble by putting your foot on their throat. they went prevent and gave up 14, so why not keep the pressure on. go figure

20. By MIKE on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Mark looked really good yesterday. We would be lying to ourselves if we expected that every week. A couple things I liked.

1) Shonn Greene just under a hundred yards. I think his longest carry was 14 yards which is fine by me.
    2) Austin Howard looked great.
    3) Hill surprised me with his ability to go get the ball and play aggressively.
    4) I’ve always thought Kerley could be a Santonio Holmes type of player and now it is taking shape.

However Pitt off a loss to Denver will be very hungry. It would be nice to see a little more pressure on the QB next week,

21. By BillsJets on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Jets WR’s and TE’s came through, the O-Line did good, Sanchez did good, Tebow should have stayed in when they were close to the goal line. D-Line struggled, need to get to QB, LB’s did ok and CB’s and Safeties did ok. Defense as a whole should not have let Buffalo score 28 points, and the one running back had a lot of yards against the JETS. I thought Ryan was known for his defenses. Overall, it was nice to see the JETS win, now the real test comes this week. Go Luck JETS.

22. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Who said it was all because of Holmes that Sanchez had a great game, GaryC? If anything, it was largely because of Sparano! But there’s no denying that Holmes was, along with Edwards, the most explosive WR we’d had in a long time when we got him. One of the reasons I championed the picking of a guy like Hill is that it was easy to see how with him, Kerley, AND Holmes out there, you’d have three fast, elusive targets, which is something we haven’t had at WR for a very, very long time. You might remember when those of us who said J-Co and Cole weren’t good enough for a championship-level WR corps earned the name we boast now — “naysayers.” Well, sometimes you gotta say “nay” to the wrong players and say “yay” to the right ones.

23. By TONY GARCIA on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

JET FAN since 1969,nice game stay healthy play within scheme.PITT did not scare me sunday.go jets.

24. By dougmc on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

The Wildcat got almost 4 yards a carry.. Thats a fine start and regardless of numbers, teams have now seen us use it with multiple packages and it keeps defenses on their heels. You must have known you are one of the complainers Tom64 and I didn’t have to address you for you to get the point. You are quick on the up-take. “Hater” or not, you and the “fans” at the game are not really getting the full aspects of different formations. The Bills were overrated and we are underated is the point. If we beat the Steelers you’ll still have some negativity to spew cause you’re a know-it-all I don’t wear Green colored glasses, I know there is plenty of room for improvement. It’s just clear to me the Jets are much better than anyone thought.

25. By Jersey Rich on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

We made CJ Spiller look great & made Super Mario disappear.
    Were we that good, or the Bills that bad? First time in a long time that I felt we had a team put away by half-time. Go Jets – show us that you are for real in Pittsburgh!

26. By Charliejet on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Don’t like to look that far down the line – as an advocate of my own mantra “one game at at time” but I can’t help it. LANDRY Vs, GRONKOWSKI…OUCH !!

27. By Jersey Joe on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Great Game but… Bart Scott looks slower not lighter and quicker as we were led to believe – Time for more Maybin and the new kid Davis. C.J. Spiller Holy Toledo ! seems like this guy is still running, i would’ve kept getting him the ball somehow (pitches, delays, reverses, screens) Ugh… ZERO pass rush is going to haunt this team against high octane passing machines like Steelers, Patriots, Texans – Bet Landry is chompin at the bit for a few safety blitzes!! This guy is a BEAST ! Just hope/pray he stays healthy and Jets can sign him for years. O-line will get their first real test against an angry Steeler front seven this week – hope Jet players are not still celebrating this victory to get steamrolled Sunday in Blitzburg

28. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Ha Mario Williams excuse for not getting to MS Austin was holding me. First off , I guess he’s must be smarter,not getting caught all game,second stronger if you couldn’t escape his clutches right Mario, I only hope and Pray Hill and Kerley develop into top notch receivers, so we can drop Holmes and his overrated contract like a bad habit…Only Mike -T would pay this guy 5-11 190 . in a league where 6-5, 220 4,4 speed is almost the norm. for equal $$.. this guy had one great catch for Pittsburgh his big claim to frame so guess what this team gets soaked for millions, Yet Pittsburgh had no trouble replacing him with equal talent for far less chips Yes he’s a good receiver but loads of talent in college through the draft

29. By 40 year fan John on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Very Proud of The Jets today ..The O line, which I was very nervous about , …. played exceptional …

30. By 40 year fan John on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

This week against the Steelers is going to be a test …Rothlesburger can NOT be allowed to sit back there and throw , he will make things happen if given time . WE MUST NOT LET HIM HAVE TIME …Also rothlesburger reads the defense very well , so we must hide our Blitzes …

31. By CJF on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Same old bitter Jets fans even after a win are still negative and angry. Ugh you all disgust me.

32. By Mike C (fan since '69) on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

For this 1st game, I liked what I saw of LaRon Landry…reminded me of Ronnie Lott
    laying the wood on opponents. Please continue Double L… but stay healthy.

33. By AK_Jet on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Jet fan 64- Just eat your crow… and join in with the rest of us FANS in cheering on the Jets.

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Hey Randy, here’s what Cimini has for Jet rookie WR starters going back to 1990: Rob Moore, 1990 — 4 catches, 35 yards/Wayne Chrebet, 1995 — 3 catches, 43 yards/Keyshawn Johnson, 1996 — 1 catch, 50 yards/Santana Moss, 2001 — 0 catches, 0 yards/Laveranues Coles, 2000 — 0 catches, 0 yards. Whaddya got for before that? I remember very clearly when Sauer took the starting job from Bake Turner and the yr Walker started. Also think Barkum and Caster were good bets to have started as rookies, though Caster was at TE before playing both that and WR if I remember right. I have a feeling I may be forgetting a few others before 1990,so maybe you can help us out here. I’ve already read about how few rookie WRs ever had 2 TDs in their first games.

35. By Gregg from CA on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Blinka, I agree with your points – especially about the ball spotting. That was weird, like they were spotting body contact instead of ball position.

All of the other deficiencies? Uh.. I think this is a professional football team, and they will address that stuff throughout the next several days of practice, with the benefit of actual game film. We, as fans, shouldn’t need to worry about that, and certainly not debate it in blogs.

The Wildcat is just a distraction? To whom? The media? Get over it, it’s just another PLAY formation, not an aerial strike that diverts the attention of the entire stadium!

36. By Gregg from CA on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

At this point in time, the Wildcat formation is just another tool for the Offensive Coordinator to use in confusing opponents’ defenses, and perhaps to take advantage of a particular down-and-distance or defensive formation. If it isn’t a distraction to the offensive players (and why should it be, it’s just another formation), then why should the rest of the world care? The biggest “distraction” was in the media on the day that the Tebow trade happened – from there it’s all been hype.

37. By Charliejet on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Well,well Jets have the number one offence in the league and Sanchez has a higher QB (7) rating than Brady(8). I know, I know it is only the first game of the season, but its nice to have fun, isn’t it? Well as always one game at a time. On to Pitts.

38. By jetsherewecome on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

What does the media have to say now huh! I can’t be more proud of our offense did you see that play that kerley scored on where it was a fake screen play to santonio and then kerley pretends hes going to block but then breaks away to the corner of the end zone, sparano is really doing a good job with chunk plays and verticle plays and working to the strenghts of the team and attacking the worst corners of the opposing team something, schotty never did. Now we got a tough game at pitt my advice to win is put revis on antoio brown and let cromartie handle wallace kyle wilson should be on sanders on offense we should get off to a good start with alot of play action and passing plays to our fast receivers.

39. By Jet Blue on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

I’m not expert on formations but why leave MS in as a WR when Tebow is in the game. MS just gets abused by the DB and is a liability for holding penalties. This makes no sense at all. And if we’re going to use Tebow, especially inside the 10, then keep him in for a few plays and let him get some rhythm. It’s dispuptive to the offense bringing him in for one play, and running plays that go no-where. I think there is a place for Tebow, but use him as a weapon, not a distraction. If we’re going to keep Tebow and MS in the game at the same time, then let Tebow line up as a slot rcvr or a TE. No safety or linebacker should be able to cover him if he learns how to use his body to shield the ball. Use him effectively, or get rid of him.

40. By IRA on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

It all started with the OL everybody knows that. Yes they did get to play against a weak secondary but this game should give them all a lot of confidence which they needed to move forward. Since Sparano loves to use double TE’s it will be interesting to see in a game when they have Keller healthy and Cumberland together.
    Great start for Hill now lets seee how he follows up when teams are going to really worry about him. Still think Keller and Kerley are the guys that will make this passing game go throughout the year.
    I hope they work Powell in more this week vs Pitt. I would like to see more of that than putting in Tebow for 5 or 6 runs.

41. By Frank on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Before we go putting anyone in Canton yet….lets save the comments until after the Steelers game. It was astonishing how wide open our receivers were. Sanchize-not while statistically had a great day missed some easy wide open throws and actually could have had an even better game. The run defense was abysmal as a matter of fact the front seven had a poor game. No pass rush or push from the D-Line and poor tackling all over the place. A win is a win the Bills were pathetic. Definitly a good start for Sanchize-not but lets save the accolades until after the Steelers game.

42. By Randy Lange on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Tom, I can tell you that Al Toon had 3 catches for 67 yards, including a 50-yard hookup with Pat Ryan for his first pro catch, in his Jets debut (Game 2 of the 1985 season, a 42-3 home win over Buffalo), and that Wesley Walker had 1 catch for 26 yards in the 1977 opener, a 20-0 loss to the Oilers in the Astrodome. And George Sauer went 0-for-0 in his Jets debut in the ’65 opener, also in the Astrodome in a 27-21 loss to the Oilers.

43. By IRA on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

So i am thinking they will be without Revis this week [hope i am wrong] so i think Fletcher gets a shot to play this week. It will be interesting to see if they put Wilson on the outside and put Lankster at nickel or keep Wilson in th slot and put Lankster outside. I think its easier to give Lankster help on the outside than in the slot. Also i wonder if Drew Coleman is healthy and in football shape. He might be a good option he knows the system.

44. By Ronald T on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Pittsburg is not buffalo. Enjoy the win today and play better next week. DON’T read the papers. Read the play book.

45. By SCfromNY on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Still happy the Jets had a good game but do have some concerns. The DL was suppossed to be a strength what happened to the pass rush? Tackleing was also an issue but it’s nice not to be picking on the O. I hope many of the new players work out but am concerned about the 1 year deals. If landry stays healthy and plays pro bowl like he will be difficult to resign. The refs did a decent job overall but Pass interference calls bothered me. They could make or brake a drive and affect the goame. Some calls were not warrented and some missed. A multi billion dollar enterprise should pay for professional refs. lastly where was McKnight? He has speed and a burst. Give him a chance Greene is not that good.

46. By GaryC on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Yes, this week we will find out about the smurf corners that we have,and also Mcknight and powell better be ready when there in the game,Pittsburgh will be blitzing when they see those two in the backfield,hope they have figured out blitz pickup.

47. By GaryC on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

word to rex,think how good Kerley would have been this year if he didn’t have to sit behind stone mason last year retarding his progress,Again it could happen this year with Damario Davis,If Scott isn’t up to the task as a starter don’t be hesitant to put Davis in the starting group,Rex needs to bite the bullet on some of his favorites when their time has passed.

48. By scjoe on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

People on both sides of the aisle, just calm down and take a few deep breaths and let up with the trash talk, it is ONE game and we are all in this together, we don’t know for sure what next week will bring, those who are talking about “eating crow” this week, we may not even see on the blog next week.

49. By Tom Spicer on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

There are guys who are glass half empty guys like Tom 64. Then there are glass half full guys like IRA. I now some guys call Tom 64 a hater & stuff like that cause he is down on the team based off of the way they finished last year. He is not a hater he is just a long suffering Jet fan like many of us. If you guys want to see a hater I will show you a hater. Please read the above post from Frank about Mark Sanchez. NOW THAT IS A HATER!

50. By Tom Spicer on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Frank, “Sanchize-not while statistically had a great day missed some easy wide open throws and actually could have had an even better game.” Frank you are true hater! You let your hate for Mark blind you. Mark completed 70% of his passes how much is he supposed to complete 90 LOL. His rating was 148 that is nearly a perfect rating WHAT ELSE COULD YOU POSSIBLE WANT FROM HIM IN A GAME? he is not going to hit ever throw sorry no one does NO ONE! Also your Sanchize-not comment is old & immature. Whats wrong the whole nation sees how much better Mark Sanchez is then your boy Tebow. GROW UP!

51. By kleckofan on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

ScJoe- thanks for the level head and sound advice, Gregg from CA too. This “eating crow” stuff is absurd, I have no problem admitting a mistake or taking great pleasure in our team proving doubters wrong. I whole-heartedly agree w some of the observations here: 1) refs spotting the ball was horrible in not just our game, but many I watched, I actually liked Rex’s challenges and thought we got jobbed 2) I agree that having MS at WR is a waste, make the opponent respect another real option out there, 3) as w Brad Smith, if you don’t throw the ball out of the wildcat its a waste and too predictable,4) we need some burst at TB, we have never, ever been able to run a screen play in order to use speed backs5) jetsherewecome I like Db assignments

52. By GaryC on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

to the irritated naysayers,yes the pro sanchizers do have something to crow about.the naysayers will have their chance later on.Already we see no matter what sanchez does it is because of someone else’s doing,but when he messes up it is all about him.Were the naysayers ever on Broadway Joe’s back with those many 6 interception games or was it always someone else’s fault.Sorry,guys ,Sanchez will be here longer then Holmes,Tebow and many others.

53. By GaryC on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe,do not worry,I for one will be ready for your volleys that you and Jetfantom will heave on Sanchez,seeing I have been doing it for a least a good year already.

54. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Ira, if Kyle Wilson subs for Revis as you predict, big Ben will score at will , Kyle is horrible…Yes tis I Mr naysayer.. Again to all my fellow Jet fans I’m saving all my compliments for game 5.. I will remain cautiously optimistic, until then. Some here makes valid points., others are going way over board over one win. I’m overjoyed we won and in fine fashion…Kudos to all the players and coaches.. I still saw sloppy tackling. missed plays, long runs, stupid penalties, bad clock management. Just keeping it in it’s proper perspective..Spicer be careful about who you denigrate about MS, he has some very tough games coming up.. If I were you I’d let him prove worthy of your man crush and lets see how this all plays out OK Bud

55. By Tom Spicer on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet, You must have me confused with someone else cause I have not been working around with the “I told you so posts”. Please go back thru my posts since the win. I complimented the team & said 1 negative thing to Frank because his hate of Mark is legendary & laughable. I would actually be embarssed if I were him for his above coment!

56. By Tom Spicer on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet, You are actually right over the next 6 weeks the Jets have the tuffest schedule in the NFL HANDS DOWN & it is not even close. I challange anyone to find a team with a harder next 6 weeks. 1 At Pittsburgh 2 vs 49ERS 3 vs Texans & 4 At Pats. If we can get out of the 1st 8 games 6 & 2 or even 5 & 3. I think we can do some real damage in the second half. I think that half of the schedule in significantly easier.

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

dougmc and AK_Jet, take my friend Arte, who sees through green-colored telescopes. When Lin put together a run of about 6 good games, Arte told me the Knicks would win it all. Yesterday on the phone, he at least managed to hold himself in check and say, “We’re going places this yr.” When you’ve been in anything as long as I’ve been a Jet fan, you’re not gonna get that excited off one game, or one deal, one good review, one date with the right girl, etc. So given what Spicer says about the sked and how last yr we were 0-5 vs winning teams, I think it’s reasonable to wait until 8 games or so in to make a fuller assessment. Especially when all of our success on Sunday was the result of the pass-first O that I’ve called for since Rex got here.

58. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the moderate degree of support, Spicer, Rather than a hater, what I really am is someone who doesn’t suffer fools at all, like McCartney said about Harrison when he died or like Christie said about his (Italian, like I am by half) mother at the RNC. Besides, the older you get, the more you hold people accountable or you’re a fool yourself. Which is why, Gary C and Gregg, I’m old enough to remember Paul and George on the Ed Sullivan Show but haven’t dated a woman over 35 in longer than the Beatles were together.

59. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, Actually. you remind me to bring to our fellow Fans Randy, Eric all with a vested interest. PLEASE some one PLEASE explain to me how, why, when, where,The Patsy’s always, end up with easiest schedule, in the league Please some one explain this to me PLEASE

60. By Jet Blue on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

One game at a time boyz. If Rex wants to show some real improvement, he might want to start by demonstrating that he prepares this team with a game plan custom made for the team they are about to play. Too many times we see the same old plays when the objective is to expose the other teams weaknesses. The more depth and discipline your team has, the better you’ll be at the exploitation. I hope to see 4 qtrs of tough physical football with minimal mental mistakes, good clock mgmt, and less false starts & delay penalties. It would be nice to a screen pass that works and some real blocking for the running game. Show me Rex. Make me believe in you again.

61. By kleckofan on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Spice-
    Actually, I would be happy to get out of the first 8 gms at 4-4; you are right, the last 8 gms are significantly easier (on paper). In those last 8 we will face QB’s: rookie Russell Wilson, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locher and Kolb or Skelton. Not to mention we have owned SD lately, the Rams and we get Buffalo again. Injuries, teams improving and peaking and teams with crises all will play a part, but right now we look like 6-7 wins in the second half. We must…must beat the Fins twice in these first 8 gms and beat Indy at home, anything else is icing.

62. By GaryC on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom,I did not know that ponce deleon found another fountain of youth in Lala land,my mistake.

63. By SCfromNY on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Mike Vet: the reason the Pats have the easiest schedule is they do not play themselves twice. I hope the “ground and pound” gets more rest Sunday. I am still curious why McKnight doesn’t get more touches. I think our LBs will be the biggest problem defensivly.

64. By Ed in Tucson on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

My favorite stat of the game was 1 penalty for 5 yards against the Jets. I would rather see no penalties but 1 is acceptable. I would love it if MS kept his passing completion rate over 67%, I would gladly say I was wrong and he’s an elite QB. Not much need for the Wildcat when you’ve got an elite QB. I think Tebow should be used with the base O as an H back who is as likely to pass as he is to run. That still gives opposing D a lot to prep for. In the meantime, MS should learn to knock the DB on his butt when he lines up as WR.

65. By dougmc on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Yes, it is 1 game at a time. but the media and many bloggers have given up on the Jets forgetting about the overall picture of 2 strong playoff runs from a new QB and a newly Rex Ryan coached team. I know most of you are waiting for the other shoe to come down, but the Jets have changed identity ever since Parcells came here and left. I was 6 years old in 68″ and have seen it all and have felt the pain as well. Root for your team, Pray the Rosary and vote for Romney/Ryan and we’ll all be alright.

66. By ELI RODRIGUEZ on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

I MUST SAY, THERE’S NO BIGGER NAYSAYER THAN I. ONE GOOD GAME…..I MEAN 1 OUT 16. BOY, YOU ARE EASILY SATISFIED—— I RESERVE JUDGEMENT TO THE END OF THE YEAR (WHICH I PROMISED). I ALSO NOTICED THAT ALL TEAM DEFENSES WEREN’T PLAYING VERY GOOD (A LOT OF HIGH SCORES AROUND THE LEAGUE). BUT IF MY NEGATIVE TALK AND BASHING M.S. MAKE HIM PLAY BETTER THEN GUESS WHAT……HE JUST GOT LUCKY, LET HOPE HE DOESN’T TURN INTO CHUCKY.

67. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, like I always say, L.A. is a very bad place to act, think, or look old. You gotta do at least one of those things in a youthful way to have much fun out here.