Rex on Kerley Award, JK and Revis Injuries

Posted by Randy Lange on September 12, 2012 – 12:40 pm

Updated, 4:57 p.m. ET

Regarding Jeremy Kerley, what do you want first, the good news first or the less good news?

The good news, as head coach Rex Ryan revealed to reporters at his pre-practice news conference this morning, is that Kerley was named the first AFC Special Teams Player of the Week award winner of the season.

“I’m really proud of this young man,” Ryan said of Kerley, who ended the Jets’ punt-return TD drought with his 68-yard return score against Buffalo on Sunday. “It’s quite an honor.”

Not as good to hear from Rex: “Unfortunately, Jeremy woke up today and he’s got a low back, he’s stiff. … He will be evaluated. We’re going to list him as limited.”

Also on the not-great-news-but-could-be-worse front, Ryan reported that Darrelle Revis will not practice today due to the mild concussion he suffered late against the Bills.

“The update from the trainers,” Rex said, “is that Darrelle has been cleared to resume physical activity but he’s out for practice today.”

The coach had no prognoses for either player or the rest of his injured players heading into Sunday’s latest return to Pittsburgh to play the ever-tough Steelers. But the Kerley/Revis situations are tied in together. If either can’t go on Sunday at Heinz Field, Kyle Wilson comes into play. If Revis has to sit out, Wilson would start at corner. If Kerley can’t go, Wilson would be first in at punt return.

If both can’t go? Ryan wasn’t ready to reveal all the Jets’ contingency plans, although he did say that Clyde Gates, last week’s waiver pickup from the Dolphins, might be ready to suit up for the first time as a Jet.

The Jets’ Week 2 injury report, issued after practice, showed that Kerley, Revis, LB Bryan Thomas (hamstring), FB John Conner (knee) and T Dennis Landolt (knee) didn’t participate in team drills. Six other players were limited — WR Stephen Hill (calf), TE Dustin Keller (hamstring), LB Josh Mauga (rib), NT Sione Po‘uha (low back), S Eric Smith (hip/knee) and CB Isaiah Trufant (ankle).

For the second straight week, the Jets had around triple the number of injured players than the opponents. Today’s Jets list had 17 players. The full list can be found here. The Steelers, meanwhile, listed six: Did Not Participate — RB Jonathan Dwyer (foot), LB James Harrison (knee), S Troy Polamalu (calf) and LB Stevenson Sylvester (knee); Limited — DE Evander Hood (back); Full — RB Rashard Mendenhall (knee).

POW Notes

Kerley’s award is his first weekly honor as a Jet and the first Jets punt returner to get the award since Santana Moss in 2002.

And it’s the 16th weekly/monthly AFC award presented to a Jets special-teamer since Mike Westhoff arrived in 2001. Under Ryan/Westhoff, Jason Trusnik and Brad Smith each got a weekly ST award in 2009, Smith got a weekly and a monthly award in 2010, and last season kickoff returner Joe McKnight was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Month for October.

Tags: , , , , ,

58 Responses to “Rex on Kerley Award, JK and Revis Injuries”

1. By Ed in Tucson on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Kerley’s no stooge.

2. By IRA on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Congrats to Kerley well deserved. I think Sparano will continue to use him more and more as the year goes on. Need him to make some big plays to win this week.
    Its going to take 23 pts to win this game.

3. By TIM on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

1. Like I KEEP saying, OFFENSE starts with (BLOCKING, BLOCKING, BLOCKING)!!

2. (BLOCKING) in the OFFENSE gives QB (SANCHEZ) time to throw!

3. And (BLOCKING) in the OFFENSE opens HOLES for RB!

4. Every (WEEK) the MOST IMPORTANT thing for the JETS OFFENSE is (BLOCKING, BLOCKING, BLOCKING)! By EVERYBODY on the JETS OFFENSE!

4. By Tom Spicer on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Shonne Greene had 27 carries last week that is way to many. He is on a pace for 432 carries on the year. There is no way in the world he makes it thru the year with that many carries. If you figure 20 carries a game for 16 games he should have no more than 320 carries on the year. Greene is not fast & elusive he runs to contact, takes alot of shots & gets nicked up. We need to keep his carries in check. Also Powell had 3 carries & McKnight had 1 which is not even close to enough. We need to see what we have in these 2 guys in real live games & the only way to do that is to give them the ball. I would take those 7 extra carries that Greene got & the 5 carries that Tebow got SCRAP the stupid Wildcat (keep the real QB in the game & dont mess

5. By Tom Spicer on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

his rythm). That is 16 carries (7 Greene, 5 Tebow, 3 Powell & 1 McKnight) give Powell & McKnight ruffly 8 carries each per game over the next month (1 At Steelers 2 At Miami 3 Vs 49ERS & 4 Vs Texans) see who runs with the chance than going forward give them the ruffly 16 carries per game & let them be the #2 change of pace back. It will limit Greenes carries & let us know who is the better back between Powell & McKnight.

6. By Tom Spicer on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

I say scrap the Wildcat & keep Mark in the game dont mess with his rhytm. Tebow can still play 20 snaps a game based off of almost just special teams alone. Put him on the punt team (at least 3 plays per game), put him on punt return (at least 3 plays a game), put him on kick returns (at least 3 plays a game), put him on the kickoff team (at least 3 plays a game), put him on the field goal unit (at least 1 play a game) & on the extra points (at least 1 play per game). Tebow can get 15 to 20 plays a game just by playing special teams. IF we have to bring him on O make him a full back he is not fast enough to be a tight end or a tail back. Give him a few runs a game thats what he is good at. Just DONT TAKE SNAPS AWAY FROM THE QB!

7. By lou on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Lets face it, if Revis cant go, it is going to be one uphill battle. Don’t respect Kyle Wilson as a starting corner just yet, especially against the Steelers receivers.

8. By Tom Spicer on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

I know everyone is going to say it is 1 game but already I like Sparano much better than Shotty. A few things I have noticed are as follows. He doesnt do these stupid backfield shifts that Schotty did that 1 fool no one 2 lead to penaltys on O 3 make the QB have to worry about what is going on behind him (is everyone in the right spot) when he should bef ocusing on the D & making a play call on what D he sees that they are in. Also Schottys version of the west coast offense is a dink & dunk one where you dont really take shots down the field. Was it me or did it seem like we took more shots down the field last week with Sparano than we did in a month with Schotty? Also this offense seems to suite Mark so much better he is good at play

9. By Tom Spicer on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

action pass which they did this week. I dont know about you guys but (I think Tom 64 said it?) but this week Mark looked like the guy from USC. In control of the game, aggresive, taking deep shots, using pumps fakes, reading the D looking off the saftey & making his throws. Again I know it is 1 game but if Austin Howard, Steve Hill & Jermey Kerley can play like that all year. This team is going to the playoffs!

10. By Karan on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

This doesn’t really have to do with anything and I really like our three starting wide receivers. But as we head into Pittsburgh for the next contest, you can’t help but remember a familiar face in Jerricho Cotchery, one of my favorite former Jets, still one of my favorite players. He did an interview recently and stated he was almost close to coming back to NY this offseason. And even though it didn’t work out, I’m fine with him being in Pittsburgh. He sounds happy and loves it there. I know as Jets fans, we’re not supposed to show any emotion or I guess support for Pittsburgh but that is one organization I have a lot of respect for. Don’t get me wrong, I hope we defeat the heck outta them Sunday, but I like the way they run their…….

11. By Karan on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

……….organization. Now the Patriots on the other hand, people praise them for the way they run things, I simply loathe that franchise. Anyways back to the point, I wish Jerricho nothing but the best. If you read his minor interview, the guy still speaks with such respect and class, never bashes the Jets even though he knew it was the right time to leave. Hope he one day will don the green and white again, but I have also moved on and I am so excited with our young wideouts in Hill and Kerley.

12. By Karan on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

TIM, we get it, hahaa.

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

That’s another one of Rex’s big problems, Spicer, he falls in love with one RB — even an over-the-hill one like LT — and wears him out instead of using all of his RBs smartly. It goes without saying that one of his other big problems is his belief in the Wildcat.

14. By danny on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

I just think Rex is very old skool and the old skool way is to give ur RB the ball and he will get better and better as the game goes. A lot of RB’s are like that so I can see where he is coming from with Green but I would def like to see more of Powel and Mcnight too. Green is a solid RB but we all know he is no stud and doesnt have the burst he showed in his first seasoin so i would love them to use these young guys some so maybe they can break one for 6 here and there as Green def can;t anymore. He did it a few yrs back in the playoffs but for some reason he lost a step already

15. By ScfromNY on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Completely agree with danny especially about MCknight. I remember when the Giants had 2 high draft RBs, Woolfolk and Morris. They kept feeding Woolfolk even though when Morris came in he was better. Give McKnight a chance or find another RB. Certainly hope the injuries clear up. Revis especiially. Tim, enough BLOCKING, we get it.

16. By scjoe on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, sometimes when i read your posts, like the one above re: Tebow, I swear that as far as your concerned it is just about Sanchez and nothing else or no one else matters, that includes wins and losses. Just so long as Sanchez emerges with decent stats. Where is the logic? Really, what would you rather see, a W with Sanchez having a poor game, OR a L with Sanchez lighting it up?

17. By scjoe on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

For those concerned about losing Turner, I think that Gates (who was inactive last week) can bring more to the table, he can return kicks and punts and the defense has to respect his speed as well. It is a numbers game and I think, at least at this point, they made the right choice.

18. By Karan on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

I definetly agree danny, just because a guy is slighty outperformed by the other in training camp or preseason doesn’t mean he doesn’t have what it takes. I saw many flashes from McKnight. The Jets need to hand off the ball to him as well, he
    s a fast running back and I’ve seen him find his way around the scrimmage to gain yards. That is something Shonn Greene does not. I don’t like that mentality. Rex though Kerley didn’t fulfill expectations during training camp, well just look at him now. So yes, they really shoud split some reps with McKnight.

19. By Karan on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Couldn’t agree with ya more Spicer. Sparano is better than Schottenheimer anyday. Yes, this system seems to suit Sanchez, its great to take shots down the field. As Jets fans, we haven’t seen many of those in a while, so its a really nice change, just seems right.

20. By Karan on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Yea no doubt, Mark is a play-action quarterback. He isn’t the best in shotgun, but you give the guy enough time like the O-line did last Sunday, and you let him dropback undercenter and also hit those play-actions, the guy does a really good job. He can make those throws.

21. By Karan on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

I’m looking for Santonio to have a big game Sunday against his old team. I think we will finally use him the right way with this offensive coordinator.

22. By Karan on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

2 of the toughest safeties will be on the feild Sunday, LaRon Landry and Troy Polumalu; man can these guys hit. Should be a fun match. Go Jets.

23. By Tom Spicer on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, I guess you forgot about my comments about how we should bring in Peyton during this past offseason when posters like IRA & Gary C said not 2 bring him in. Also during the pre season when things were looking VERY bad. I said if they are going to be bad let them be REAL bad so we could get a shot at Matt Barkley. I dont care how Mark does I care about the Jets winning if you can bring in a QB who is better then him I am all for it do it right now. To me unless you are 1Rodgers 2 Brady 3 Brees 4 Stafford 5 Newton 6 Eli 7 Romo Rivers 8 Ryan 9 Big Ben 10 Flacco 11 Schuab 12 Palmer 13 Cutler. I dont want you & I will take my chances with Mark (I see Dalton taking a big step back this year & I am not ready to crown Luck & RG3 after 1 game)

24. By Tom Spicer on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

My mistake I forgot to add Peyton to the above list. So 15 guys I would take over Mark out of 32 teams. To me thats not bad at all & we will re visit that at the end of the year. I think he could be in the top 10.

25. By Tom Spicer on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

In the 2010 AFC title game at the Steelers Mark had a 102 rating, was 20 for 33 to complete 60%, 233 yards, 2 TDS & no picks. So he has done it before he can do it again. The Jets can WIN THIS GAME! J E T S JETS JETS JETS

26. By danny on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

I think Turner was a solid Veteran reciever but not explosive so I can see why they let him go. He kind of reminds me of Justin McCariens when we had him. He is a solid backup but i guess they see our young guys can handle the job well and they rather try and get playing time for this fast dude they signed from miami. They must think this miami guy is more explosive then Turner and if someone goes down we can always find a decent vet with about the same ability as Turner. I don;t think it will hurt us because if our starters stay healthy he wasn;t gonna play much anyway. i wouldn;t mind seeing Cumberland split out once in a while like the Pats do with Hernandez. He’s a big target I really like him a lot

27. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

You took the words right out of my mouth on the Schotty/Sparano comparison, Spicer, though I doubt I could’ve said it as well as you. I tried to tell Arte on the phone on Monday that Sparano didn’t seem to waste a single play on the nonsense that Scotty burdened Sanchez, the team, and of course us with for yrs, but Arte’s sticking to this weird spin that Tebow’s half-responsible for this success on O. I’m with you, Spice, as I said right after the game — a couple more games on O like this and the Wildcat will be retired, Tebow will become our version of Campy Campaneris (remember the game when he played all 9 positions for the A’s?), and next yr he’ll be gone and forgotten, at least by Jet fans.

28. By Gregg from CA on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Sorry if some of my recent posts have been rambling and sounded fever induced – they kinda were. I’ve been home sick for two weeks, and even though I had points I wanted to make, I’ve gone back and read some of my posts and cringed. Sorry… I’ll shut up until I can be more consistently lucid. …smile…

29. By Gregg from CA on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

For the record:

I enjoy watching the Jets play (unless they start flailing miserably, like last year), but I DON’T enjoy listening to all of the bickering about what a coach says or doesn’t say. The proof is on the field, and I’d much rather listen to discussions about THAT. Let the “press” put themselves into mental contortions straight out of the nastiest parts of the Kama Sutra. …smirk…

30. By IRA on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

I agree there is no way Greene can carry the ball 25 plus times per game and stay healthy all year. I would really like to see Powell get some carries instead of Tebow and McKnight might be just what the doctor ordered for the screen pass game and delays handoffs to slow down this very aggressive Steelers front.
    GO JETS!!!!

31. By ScfromNY on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

There is a lot of complaining on this site and usually I am one of them. I will never have the man crush Spicer has on Sanchez but kudos to him if he continues to play well. I am still negative on Tebow. Perhaps if the team and media treated him the way a back up QB and role player is played I would not complain. Well an ongoing complaint of mine is all this wild card talk. I would think that ALL thoughts would be toward winning the division. The Pats are not unstoppable. Because of their dominance they have an aura of invinceability and they both revel on it and use it to their advantage. I hope the Jets do well this week but if they are ahead they need to keep pouring it on. The Steelers can come back quick especially at home.

32. By IRA on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Tom, It was very clear Peyton did not want to play for the Jets. Even if Mr Johnson gave him a blank check he wasn’t coming to the Jets. Lets just all wait and see what happens over the next 3-4 games and see where we are at. This week is a big test against a very hungry and mad team that is not the team it use to be.

33. By GaryC on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

If sanchez keeps winning Tebow will be put on the back burner,already the media is talking up RG3,he might be knocking Cam off the cameras too.

34. By gmany3k on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Seldom do you see one man take down Green and seldom have we seen McKnight scare any team with his running skills . I don’t think Mark knows how to run a screen yet .to say tebow is not fast enough to be a TE but is fast enough to run past our defense last yr on that final drive when everyone in the stadium knew what he was going to do .that’s funny.Shotty had a intellectual game plan approach and only Bill belichick could understand it and the rest of the league copied what Bill did to neutralize its effects .shotty needs to reinvent his offensive theology because the rules changed everything. Mark’s Arm strength has improved but it will always be weak in comparison to the elite QB at best. Eli is the example for Mark to follow be a well

35. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, the Sanchez we saw on Sunday hadn’t been seen in a long time, maybe not since his very first few games — before teams got tape on him, I might add, which they haven’t done yet this yr either, for those of you already predicting 12-4. But REALLY, Spice, your quoting of MS’s stats for the PIT playoff game is the furthest you’ve gone yet with this stuff. Yes, I know you watch the games because the last time you went stat-happy and I asked you that, you said you did. But did you, like, watch the PIT playoff? Do you really not remember how pathetic the O was in the 1st half, and how we were basically out of the game by then? Please, less stats and more overview of how MS and the whole team actually performs.

36. By gmany3k on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

con’t learned QB read and change plays on the fly and make great decisions with the ball . Eli never forced his game he let the game come to Him . Rex is human and we all have habits that we find hard to change there are few RB that can change the game when they step on the field those days are in the past. the best QB all have one thing in common they run the offense from on the field and call they own plays at the line.knowing exactly what play will be successful and that is where smarts wins out over talent.

37. By kleckofan on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Agree on the Greene getting too many carries thought; if I remember correctly he already had a play last week where he looked like he might not make it back. The way he runs and w that lingering rib injury it is doubtful he makes the finish line. Also agree w the positives of eliminating all the needless shifts on O pre-snap; Schotty (shoddy) cost us more false starts than our personnel. Embrace KISSS (Keep it simple stupid). Hoping w all my heart Revis is cleared. I saw where this kid Dwyer didn’t paricipate in practice for Pitt; Denver made the guy look like Jim Brown, he was straight-arming defenders away like Superman.
    With all the first game euphoria, I’ve been forgetting: Fire Tanny!

38. By GaryC on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

PRAISE THE LORD,if Tebow bolts after this season maybe we can recoup those draft picks if not more.

39. By GaryC on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Spicer,keep bringing those stats about how good Sanchez plays during the coldest parts of the year,ludicrous thinking by some who say he can’t perform in the cold,I will worry when the nfl puts a franchise in Anchorage.

40. By GaryC on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Yeah,Eli has elite arm strength,Tyree catches a balloon ball that Eli flings up there for a super bowl win,and he does the same now with Nicks and Cruz,that’s what happens people when you have confidence in your receivers.

41. By Frank Verde on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Someday, it might happen that Schotty has the perfect complement of players to execute his brilliant, convoluted schemes. Until then Holmes’ epithet stands: Schotty’s schemes are confusing. Remember, in 2009, when Schotty dumbed-down his schemes and Mark’s QB rating shot up? Then, in 2010, despite having the worst red-zone efficiency, the Jets made it to the AFC title game. So, the FO hired Moore as a red-zone consultant. Wow, a real Schott across the bow. The Jets went from worst to first in the red-zone, but Schotty couldn’t buy a 3rd down conversion with the same players. That was huge. The FO didn’t hire a 3rd down conversion consultant. They cleaned house of all underperforming coaches.

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, GaryC, I just read that NFL News article that says a “source” claims Tebow will ask for a trade if he doesn’t get a shot at starting this yr. Can we just trade him now for a back-up center?

43. By Jet Blue on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

1) Green shows no patience or individual movement once he gets the ball. He runs straight at the defenders, of which there always seems to be many.
    2) With the lack of speed or real talent at RB, and no threat of throwing the ball down field, defenses stay close to the line, making it impossible to run a screen play.
    Once we forget about this wildcat nonsesne, and focus on a more wide open offense, defenses will have to pause before they react giving MS the time he needs to complete a pass. Once they are forced to cover the entire field and respect the pass, we’ll be able to run again. We don’t have an offense that scares anyone…..yet. We’ll find out this week if last week was a fluke, or the beginning of something great.

44. By SCfromNY on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

An elite QB is one who can make all the throws accurately putting the ball where his reciever has the best chance of both catching it and gaining yards. He is able to QUICKLY survey the field and determine his best course of action.He is a leader and in crunch time can put the team on his back and win. Constant comparing of stats trying to find some to verify your position is boring and ridiculas. Winning matters and being an elite QB most days not just once and a while. About Tebow: Rex’s father once said about a popular good RB,”Trade him! Trade him for a six pack it doesn’t even have to be could. Tebow is a distraction and his roster space could be better used.

45. By Karan on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

I hope Tebow gets a starting job someplace else, I’ve always liked him but this is Mark Sanchez’s team. Sanchez has been here since 2009 and he won’t let up that easily. Remember, Tebow was given a choice between Jax and NYJ, he choose NYJ, that makes you wonder he probably thought Sanchez wasn’t good enough and he would ultimetly get the starting nod. People tend to forget Mark is a competitor, he replies back well to critics when he makes the plays hence in the playoffs when they matter the most. I know Tebow has that will too, heck I’ve seem him do special things in college and the pros. But I’m 100% behind the Sanchize here in NY. It would be great to see Tebow be a starter in Jacksonville, for now, he will contribute a lot.

46. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

That sarcastic “Schott across the bow” is brilliant, Frank V! And great pts across the board by you, Jet Blue and SCfromNY! It’s great to see that some folks on this site still remember that if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and so on it’s a duck. Tebow may have potential if he’s given several yrs to start somewhere but we claim that’s not why we picked him up. So as a backup he’s a joke, there’s no way he could be counted on to come in and pick the team up given how badly he throws, and unloading him for the same 2 picks we gave up for him would be fine with me — preferably tomorrow and let McElroy, who couldn’t possibly make more rookie mistakes in his rookie yr than Sanchez made, be the back-up.

47. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Please Rex, NO KYLE WILSON. in place of Revis I’m begging you , Big Ben will score at will against this Kid . What’s going on with all these injuries, are these guys eating Ben and Jerry’s instead of working out ?

48. By Jake on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

If the Jets can win Sunday against the Steelers at Hinz field, I think it will do a pretty good job legitimizing the Jets for this season. Big chance for a statement win. Lets see if they can transfer the good things they did against the Bills and improve on the bad, as in wraping up a RB, holding on to the football, remember both greene and MS both put it on the turf sunday, we were just lucky enough to get it back, and running the ball more efficiently the Jets will do fine. With Heath Miller getting older I think we can keep him under wraps with Landry, the guy who scares me is Emanual Sanders, more than likely Wilson is going to have to cover this guy and with Wilson lack of speed, this could be a bad situation, at least one to watch.

49. By Jet Blue on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Rex is too much like Buddy. Stubborn and blind to innovation. Buddy went from the best DC in the league to laughing stock HC. It’s a different job when your the boss of everything that happens on the field. You can’t just know defense. You have to be smart and organized and must have great assistant coaches working for you. It sure does help to have an elite QB though. Not sure where the Pats would be all these yrs without Brady. But then again, no team has more rushing TDs in the last 10 yrs than the Pats. Sanchez is certainly not Brady, but not many QBs are. But if he can learn to do just a few of the things that SCNY listed above, he just may help win some games for this team and gain the trust of the fans.

50. By scjoe on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

You are right Jake, if the Jets can pull this one out IN Pit, you will see the “experts” coming out in droves to jump on the bandwagon. There will be no more “circus” remarks, at least not until the Jets go on a 2 or 3 game losing streak. That is how naive some of these experts are.

51. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

DANNY,IRA &Klecko-Fan, You guys are all over it dudes! Greene hasn’t exibited the toughness he showed in his rookie year. He was a monster until he broke his rib in the Colt game and he is simply not the same guy since. Still a good back but not in the star class!. DANNY, right you are about Turner. With Hill and Schillens we have two big explosive reciever who are clearly better than Turner who was a big target but not as fast or elusive. JET BLUE, the jury is still out on Rex at this point. I agree Rex is a lot like his dad but arent we all at least some what like our fathers? It will be interesting to see if Rex can wake up and avoid the same mistakes Buddy made. I have seen some growth this year,but its still too early to judge.

52. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Best post of the day hands down, Jet Blue!

53. By AZ JET Fan on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

I still loose sleep over that Jan 15ht playoff loss to the Steelers when Brien? missed a FG at the end of regultion to win it and another in OT to win it. Hence, we draft Nugent in the 2nd round. Anyway, I can’t wait until Sunday, to bad it is the late game. GO JETS.

54. By Tom Spicer on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

AZ JETFan, I lose sleep over 2010 AFC Championship game. We have the ball 2nd & goal from the 1. We are down by 5 & it is late in the 4th quarter. We get 1 yard in 3 plays & we are going to the Super Bowl. We shut the Steelers out in the 2nd they could not move the ball vs us. It is minus 35 degrees & Shcotty decides it is time to start throwing the ball & the 1 play he runs on 4th & 1 he brings in LT ths little back instead of pounding Greene. We had Mangold, Moore & Woody 3 ROAD GRADERS! You pound the ball to Greene 3 straigth times right behind them & if you cant get 1 yard in 3 plays YOU DONT DESERVE TO GO TO THE SUPER BOWL! Something tells me if he did that we are in the Super Bowl. This still naws at my soul till this day!

55. By chris long time fan on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

right on jet blue when teams start respecting the pass greene will start running until then they will load the box.

56. By Jet Blue on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, dead on about the run. Not just in that AFC Champ game but so many times we get inside the 5 and we start to get cute with rollout passes or MS tries to run it in – and takes big hits. Be the team that says try and stop us. Great point about deserving to win. If you can’t get 2 yards on 3 or 4 runs, then you are not the better team and deserve what you get. Rex should show some confidence in this all-pro line we supposedly have. Call them out when we need a 1st down or a TD and make them earn it. Problem is, they don’t have that powerful back who can find that small sliver and blow through it. Maybe Powell is the answer. Or, how ’bout that Terminator you drafted? Play him or cut him.

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Problem is, Jet Blue, Rex has never overseen or had much input into the O, all that stupid goal-line nonsense was Schotty’s doing. And that’s why, danny, I cite the ridiculous goal-line debacle vs. MIA in 11/09 as when I first started to question whether Rex had the smarts to be a good HC. (You all remember that wonderful 4th-down pass to Wright that he woulda caught a yd before the goal line, right?) The bad news is our HC isn’t overseeing the O even now. The good news is that our new OC, a former HC is.

58. By joe on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

WHEN faced with a SBOWL CONTENDER LIKE THE STEELERS THE 2012 JETS LOOKED LIKE THE SAME OLD JETS TO ME People it has been YEARS SINCE THE JETS BEAT A WINNING TEAM.Sanchez PLAYING A DELUTED STEELER DEFENCE (NO HARRISON ,POLUMU )looked EXACTLY like the SANCHEZ of old. (Too bad if only we could play the BILLS EVERY WEEK.)Guys said it once will say it a million times THIS TEAM IS GOING NOWHERE UNTILL IT GETS AN ELITE QB IN HERE NOWHERE