Revis, Keller, Thomas Ruled Out for Pittsburgh

Posted by Randy Lange on September 14, 2012 – 2:47 pm

Rex Ryan didn’t wait until gametime Sunday, or Saturday before the team’s flight, or for the first question to be asked today. The Jets head coach said at the top of his afternoon news conference that CB Darrelle Revis, along with TE Dustin Keller and LB Bryan Thomas, will not travel with the team and so those three starters will not play Sunday when the Jets take on the Steelers at Heinz Field.

“We’re just following NFL protocol,” Ryan said about Revis’ mild concussion suffered late in the opener against Buffalo. “Darrelle’s been cleared for non-contact, but he hasn’t been cleared for contact.

“We say it all the time. It’s really about the decal on the side of the helmet. We say guys who step up to replace a guy, they have to play as well, maybe a little better. In this case, we’ll take a little less.”

Kyle Wilson, the Jets’ first-round draft choice in 2010, is the player who will be stepping into Revis’ shoes as a starting corner opposite Antonio Cromartie. Wilson, who made the third interception of his career vs. the Bills, has started 12 games as a pro, but in 10 of them he was a slot corner. In only two games in 2010, in Game 3 at Miami and Game 16 vs. Buffalo, did he start on the outside.

Ryan said the Jets have faith in him to handle this next starting assignment against the heavy hitters in the Pittsburgh wideout corps.

“We have a lot of confidence that Kyle will step up in the starting role,” the coach said. “He’s a guy who over the last two years spent time with Darrelle in the offseason, training with him, learning football from him. I think that tells you about Kyle’s commitment. He wants to be a great player. Why not learn from the best?”

For the first time this week, Revis participated in practice, putting on his helmet and jogging out to participate in position drills and also getting in limited work during team drills.

At TE, Ryan said of Keller’s sore hamstring that “he kind of tweaked it a little bit Wednesday. It’s just best that he sit out, miss this game, and be ready to go next week.”\

Jeff Cumberland, the third-year man who had career highs of three catches and 33 yards off the bench on Sunday, is in line to make his first NFL start for Keller, the Jets’ leading pass-catcher the previous two seasons. Konrad Reuland, the first-year waiver pickup who saw action in more than 20 plays vs. the Bills, also will play, and the Jets re-signed Dedrick Epps off the Bears practice squad to their active roster to also help with the TE depth.

Reporter John Holt will have a Q&A with Cumberland that will be posted a little later this afternoon.

Thomas, who started vs. Buffalo after missing the final 12 games last season with a torn left Achilles tendon, suffered a left ankle injury vs. the Bills that he said is unrelated to the Achilles issue. But he was rehabbing furiously this week to get on the field for the Steelers.

“I’ve been in there getting treatment four times a day to give them the confidence to say that I can go out there and play,” he said. “At the end of the day, it’s a trainers decision, a doctors decision, but I want to prove to them that I can go out there and do it, no matter what. Especially coming off the injury from last year. I missed some games and that was tough last year. I don’t want to miss any this year.”

However, B.T. will miss at least one, with Garrett McIntyre, who started three consecutive games last season at Denver, vs. Buffalo and at Washington, in line to get this start. Aaron Maybin may also see his snaps go up.

The Rest of the Report

On the flip side of the injury list, Ryan did report that 11 of his listed players practiced full during team drills today and are all probable for the Steelers, including DT Sione Po‘uha and S Eric Smith, who both sat out the Jets’ opener against the Bills. Also full/probable were Cromartie, DT Mike DeVito, WR Stephen Hill, WR Jeremy Kerley, S LaRon Landry, LB Josh Mauga, G Brandon Moore and WR Chaz Schilens. Limited in practice and questionable for the game are FB John Conner (knee) and CB Isaiah Trufant (ankle).

The Steelers’ Friday report lists LB James Harrison (knee) and S Troy Polamalu (calf) as questionable after not participating in team drills today, while RB Rashard Mendenhall (knee) is listed as doubtful.

Another Tebow Rumor Put to Rest

Tim Tebow spoke with reporters again today and predictably, he was asked about a story early in the week in which an unnamed NFL source said the backup QB will be looking to move on from the Jets after this season if he doesn’t become a starter. Tebow found the report amusing.

“That’s what these guys told me about a little bit ago. I find that pretty funny,” he said. “It’s about as true as me living in Hoboken, I think. I guess it’s just part of what you have to deal with, rumors and stuff like that, I don’t know. All I can say is I love being here as a Jet, I’m thankful for it and I want to be here for a long time. I guess you just have to put up with stuff like that.”

That was an earlier rumor, that Tebow had set up shopt in the New Jersey city of Hoboken. He was asked if he had anything against the town.

“Nothing,” he replied, “except everybody says I live there, still to this day.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “Revis, Keller, Thomas Ruled Out for Pittsburgh”

1. By IRA on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

I expect Wilson to play a big game and its huge that Smith and Pouha will be back. To me its a wash Harrison and TP out and Revis,Keller and BT are out. Pitt can’t run and the Jets can. Big Ben gets the edge in the passing game but i think Rex will send the house after him very much like Mangini did back in 07 and force him into mistakes. If the Jets OL can hold up and play well the Jets will have a very good chance to win this game.
    A very Happy, Healthy and Peaceful New Year to all that observe.
    GO JETS!!!!

2. By scjoe on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

This game is what should be called a “classic trench game” The D line and O lines will decide this one. As I stated in the last story, if the Jets get No sacks, and No pressure on big Ben, that will equate to NO win! And of course if the Steelers do, it may get ugly. I think Rex comes up with a package to pressure Big Ben, and the “wildcat” gets enough yardage to keep the Steelers D on the field, and the Jets win it.

3. By Karan on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

I was pretty confident heading into this game Sunday against the Steelers but now I feel a little nervous knowing Revis and Keller will be out. I wish them both a speedy recovery, both are essential pieces to the defense and offense, respectively. I don’t know if Wilson will be able to fill that void, hopefully he can. Keller is awesome but I think Cumberland can do a nice job filling in, I just hope there will be no more injuries. Revis is also the man but it will be a big loss this week.

4. By Tom Spicer on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

From the prior story about Hill I thought this kid would eventuall be good. But not this quick! I know it is only 1 game but boy that was some game.

5. By Tom Spicer on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

No Revis, no Keller & no Thomas WOW! This does not look good I am usually one of the more positive posters. But I think we are in trouble with this one. Who is the 3rd corner now that Wilson is starting?

6. By Karan on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

What worries me more about this game are the receivers of the Steelers. Those are some young talented receivers. Anyone of them can damage us. Wallace and Brown, Sanders, so quick after the catch, great route runners. And lets not forget the clutch J-Co. Roethlisberger is a weapon himself with his ability to make plays before taking a sack or being under pressure and they WILL use Heath Miller as a main target in this game. I want us to win obviously but I’m certainly doubting this game. Hope I’m wrong.

7. By BillsJets on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Ooh I get it, so now if we lose to the Steelers in week 2, we can say it’s because we didn’t have Revis, Keller, and Thomas. Sorry excuse Rex!!! Football players need to learn how to play through pain or get out of the sport, It’s not called “Whimpieball”

8. By Tom Spicer on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

I saw IRA & SCJoe pick the score of the game in the twentys with the Jets winning by a filed goal. I dont see it like that I see a low scoring games in the teens. A big time defensive struggle. It is very hard to run vs the Steelers & last year they had the #1 pass D in the NFL. Points are going to be very hard to come by. Hopefully we can pull it out!

9. By Another Tom on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Its Wilsons time to shine..and Cumberland is solid..This has to be the beginning of the end to BT’s decent Jet career..Younger , faster LB ‘s have to come through now. Maybin should see alot of snaps..use him to spy on and contain Rothlesburger..Folk with a game winning FG 17-14

10. By robertpapalia on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Now we are going to find out how big of a bust Kyle Wilson really is. Thanks once again Mr. Tannenbaum.

11. By SCfromNY on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Good luck to Wilson. I think the best help Wilson can get will be a ferocious pass rush. It was not evident last week and we can not expect Ben to play like Fitz. Give him time to throw and the recievers time to run routes and it will be a long day. No so concerned about the loss of Keller. i think he can easily be replaced and get some blocking to boot. maybe it’s time to unveil the secret “TTTE” The Tim Tebow Tight End.

12. By dougmc on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

I thought Revis and Keller were going to play…This game just got tougher to pull off a win. Kick Big Ben around and we can do this. If he gets time look out. C’mon “O” gonna need 30 points or so…

13. By cjf on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

If we control the clock on offense and use misdirection and wildcat play to keep their Defense offbalance I think we can win. Everybody on here is so worried about the players the Jets are missing. What about the players the Steelers are missing this week Im confident that we can pull this one out. These aren’t the same Steelers from 2010. They are old, mistake prone and Big Ben looks sloppy. Lets get hype Jets fans have faith. WE CAN DO THIS!! 2-0 would be a great way to start the season. But either way win or loss we get to play Miami in week 3 lol. GO JETS!!!

14. By scjoe on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Wilson is now in his 3rd season in the same system, he has adequate speed, there is no reason for him to get beat like a drum Sunday. If he should, it may be time to look at other options. The only way those options would become viable is by trade. (Tebow?)

15. By Jake on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Wilson did a good job his rookie year on the outside filling in for Revis when Darrelle went down with that hammy early in the season that year. I think he is much better when he can use the sideline. where he struggles is trying to cover in space. I wish him well this week. Like stated above by much wiser jet fans than I, this game will be won or lost in the trenches. The front 7 has to get to #7 or our back end will be blown up.

16. By wayne on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

It is not the pressure on Big Ben that will be most important. He is better than any QB in football in dealing with getting hit. It is the Jets DB play that will decide this. Ben’s got weapons and so if Jets don’t, can’t press Pitt WRs there’ll be some trouble…………Hill will have chances to make plays against Pitt’s DBs. Will he be able to hold on to the ball for 2 straight games? Can’t see Pitt not getting to GQ. Question is will he make the big mistake?……..Last week against a fraud team told nobody nothing.

17. By Kevin on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Tom I think our 3rd CB with Trufant being questionable will be Lankster

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Who’s the 3rd corner, Spicer? Why, get a load of the ultimate silliness from the HC who “loves CBs” but doesn’t even know how to keep enough of them on the roster, much less develop any: “The Jets may expand Joe McKnight’s role in an unconventional way against the Steelers on Sunday. The Daily News has learned that McKnight, who was beaten out by Bilal Powell for the Jets’ 3rd-down RB job, practiced at CB this week.” Good luck facing Wallace and Brown without having played CB since high school, Joe. And hey Arte, what’d you do, take a Valium before doing the “Fan Friday” thing? I know in your heart you think we’re gonna win like 47-7. Oddly, I don’t know about only 10 pts vs. a banged-up PIT D. What worries me is what THEY might score…

19. By AZ JET Fan on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Are you kidding me? I was excited to watch this game. I thought for sure Revis would go, and now Thomas out. I can live without Keller, but we are in big trouble. Cmon Jets, suprise me.

20. By Christopher on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

I think the D will step up and show that even though not having Revis hurts they are still a very good D. The front 7 will have to step up and create pressure and stop the run.

I also expect more Tebow this time, mainly to ground and pound, knowing that when he is in the Steelers will make sure to respect the pass.

21. By GaryC on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Time to watch Gullivers Travels and the Lilliputians on the corners for the jets this week.

22. By Scott T on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

I have a gut feeling that this is going to be a big game for our rookie demario davis. With his speed I’m hoping to see him play some coverage on Pitts tight ends. I think our pass d is going to play better than people think without revis playing. I mean don’t get me wrong, losing revis really hurts. However, I thought wilson played well against buffalo. He recorded a INT. He will give up some plays but I think he will have a respectable game. If coples and/or wilkerson can apply some pressure…. along with maybin, I think we have a legitimate shot to win this game. Should be a great football game regardless of the outcome. GO JETS!!!

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

No question Wilson should be ready for this game, and I don’t care if he has to cover Wallace one-on-one. You draft a CB and work him into the system gradually the way we have with Wilson, he definitely needs to start making major contributions in his 3rd yr. Happily, he looked like he was ready to do that last Sunday. Of course, once again on the subject of clueless Rex and the way we tend to draft, a lot of Rex’s excitement about Wilson had to do with his ability to return punts. When he didn’t set the world on fire at that in a handful of chances, Rex forgot all about it and it was Schotty who bailed us out by going down to Texas and coming back convinced about Kerley.

24. By Tom Spicer on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Unless Wilson is alot better then I think he is & whoever is our 3rd corner for this game now that Wilson is our starter. I think we could be in for a long day. I hope that I am wrong!

25. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, Wilson is gonna get toasted like a bagel this week.He has all the physical traits neccessary to be an elite cover C.B. The problem is he just cant seem to stay in the same zipcode as the W.R. he is supposed to cover? Nice int. last week because he jumped the route just as Revis did. The problem is he cant deal with a double move and if we dont rush Ben he will see plenty of double moves.IRA. Happy new year my brother!!! But I cant say I am happy to see Smith back this week as i still have nightmares of him and Wilson trailing recievers into our endzone. I do agree we can beat these guys this week,but everyone will have to have their A game to get it done. Spicer, Dont get to excited about 1 good game from Hill.a long way to go.

26. By Charliejet on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

BillsJets – your kidding us, right?

27. By Gregg from CA on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

I’m not a defensive tactician, but I was under the impression that the skill set of the corners (and their range of coverage responsibility) was affected by the skill set of the safeties. By upgrading the style of play, and skill set, of the safeties, didn’t we allow for less-than-prototypical big-body corners? As I recall, some of the best corners EVER were well under 6 feet.

Just my musings…

28. By Gregg from CA on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Tom, please drag the dead horse out of the room. Every time you beat it, the flies swarm up and cloud my vision … grin…

29. By Karan on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Ya know what, I take it back. I think Wilson can step up this week, he should handle the task, good luck to him.

30. By Karan on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Oh no IRA, don’t underestimate the Steelers run game, they have one of the best running back coaches in the league and these Steelers backs run fast, they are coached well, they always seem to gain extra yardage out of nothing, whether its Mendenhall or Redman or even Dwyer. Don’t know if Mendenhall is running. Can’t wait till tomorrow, slated to be one of the top 3 games Sunday. Lets get a victory Gang Green!

31. By punchie on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

DON`T PANIC it`s not worth risking revis this early in the season, BT is out that means 4 up front wilkerson,ellis,pouha and coples with multiple DB`S we all know that CRO is really a shutdown corner when he wants to be. I for one am as keen as mustard for this one

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

I’ll refer you to GaryC for now, Gregg, since Rex’s bizarre love of CBs under 5′ 10″ is one of the dead horses I’ve been beating for yrs and it’s nice to see GaryC pick up the slack on that one.

33. By GaryC on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Gregg,small corners have been successful but we have no Darrell Green and give me another 5’8 or 5’9 corner who was a big success and remember,the receivers are much bigger today.

34. By Karan on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Maybin should get more snaps

35. By Jet Blue on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

The CB position requires geat athleticism and great instincts. Wilson has a habit of watching the QB too long while his WR gets away from him. He waits too long to break on the ball and finds himself chasing after the WR after the catch. He had great instincs in college. You would think that after watching Revis up close he’d show more improvement. Revis is great, not because of his INT count, which is not impressive on paper. He’s great because he takes away a team’s ability to throw to their best weapon because he’s on them like glue. We’ll find out today how much Wilson has learned from the Master.

36. By JetBlue on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

SOJ! Sanchez: Great 1st drive. Nothing after that. Doesn’t step up into the pocket & still waits too long to release the ball. He should have watched Big Ben as he stepped and juked his way out of trouble on every play. Cro: How can U let that prayer of a throw be caught for a TD? Loss of concentration! Defense still doesn’t know how to contain. Over-pursuit and horrible tackling. Rex: 57 seconds left in the half and 2 TOs and U decide to run out the clock. No confidence. Sad. Please resign! Not qualified.

37. By JetBlue on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

There’s one theme I keep posting on for this team and it’s the lack of preperation and game-planning for the team they are about to play. Rex is great at giving stats after the game. What was he doing during the game to adjust to the what the Steelers were doing? Green has nothign to offer any more. No change of direction, no speed, no nothing. Give me the ball, I can run into the line for a loss or minimal gain. This team commands no respect. They were not only outplayed, but outcoached….badly. I’m tired of hearing Rex and MS say they have to play better. SOJ!

38. By JetBlue on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

As for the Steelers, “They were, who we thought they were.” Unfortunately, so were the Jets.

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

“Rex: 57 seconds left in the half and 2 TOs and U decide to run out the clock. No confidence. Sad. Please resign! Not qualified.” See my post on the story ahead of this one, JetBlue, in which I make the same point. Of course, I’ve been saying we’re going nowhere special with Rex at HC for about a yr now. Only last week I was telling a couple of the “2 title games” guys that people are constantly talking about how Rex doesn’t prepare the team consistently well for big games, as you also say here.

40. By JetBlue on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

JFS64Tom: I’m with ya Buddy. I know there will be those that will excuse this loss away and hope for better days to come. I think we both know those days aint coming this year. I now live in MD where the Ravens passed over Rex and went after Harbaugh. They knew. But, I was still willing to give Rex a chance. I liked that he called out Bellichick. But he needed to back up those words and he just hasn’t gotten the job done. He’s lost and doesn’t know how to get home. No compass, and can’t follow the sun. Look how SF is evolving into a team that you don’t want to play. That’s waht the Jets were supposed to be. It’s so disappointing. Gotta have patience I guess. What else can we do. The Knicks aren’t going anywhere either. :>)

41. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

It’s not hard to fire a HC, JetBlue, unless you’re bent on treating them like Clint said some people treat politicians, like they’re royalty. I can understand some folks being thrilled with 2 AFC championship games for awhile but not endlessly. (Every time I tell Arte I think we’re facing a tough game, he reminds me that we beat NE in the playoff — as if we still have that same team to begin with) But after awhile it’s ridiculous, and your summing up on the story ahead of this one of Rex’s shortcomings as an HC make plenty clear why.

42. By Gregg from CA on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

This is probably a dead thread now, but I wasn’t claiming that short corners were better – I was thinking that the addition of better safeties was supposed to alleviate the dire NEED for “islands”. By the way, I’d take Aaron Glenn to any game in a heartbeat.

43. By Jet Fan Since' 64 Tom on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

Just to prove it’s not a dead thread, Gregg, yeah, but we picked up 2 okay older safeties and drafted 2 young ones, so it’s not like we’ve solved all our problems there right away. My bet is still on the young guys and that Bell and Landry won’t be here next yr. Then again, if it was up to me, Holmes and Revis wouldn’t be here next yr and a bunch of high draft picks would be.

44. By SCfromNY on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

I’ve said it before. We gave Pitt a 5th round for Holmes. That’s all the Steelers could get for a SB MVP. Now with all the questions and a huge contract we are stuck with him unless we want to dump huge sums of money. Make him the #3 slot receiver and maybe pride will make him pick up his game.