STS*: 6 Touchbacks Showed Folk’s Focus on Details

Posted by Randy Lange on September 15, 2012 – 10:14 am

Nick Folk was finding the sweet spot all day last Sunday.

Not only did the Jets kicker convert all eight of his placements (two field goals, six PATs), but he drove eight of his nine kickoffs into the end zone and got touchbacks on his first five and six in all. The Bills’ average drive start after those nine kickoffs: Their 20.1-yard line.

“I’ve just kind of been working on it since last year,” Folk said of his Rocky Mountains-like performance down near the sea level of the Meadowlands. “My kickoffs keep getting better and better, and I’m still working on it. You look at a guy like [the 49ers'] David Akers, it’s the same kind of thing. He’s kicking off really well, and he’s in his 13th or 14th year? You just keep getting stronger every year, every day, keep working on the little things to get better.”

Folk, in his sixth season, isn’t nearly the senior citizen Akers is, but he’s putting instep to pigskin as well these days as any of the venerable veteran kickers around the NFL. His kickoff showing wasn’t properly noted in the euphoria of the Jets’ beatdown of the Bills, but it should be observed that his six touchbacks is the most at home by a Jets kicker since the 1970 merger and equals the franchise mark of six, set by Bobby Howfield at New England in 1972 — back when the kickoff line was the 40, not the 35 as it has been since ’11.

“Ah, the perks of playing back in the day,” Folk said.

He attributes his monster season opener not to any lower-body insanity workout program or major technique makeover. Instead, it sounds as if he’s hard at work on mastering the mental part of his game.

“I’ve felt pretty good recently,” he said. “In preseason I think I showed the first two games I could hit some touchbacks. Then in the last two, here and in Philly, I didn’t get a hold of my kickoffs the way I had planned. I was almost trying too hard, trying to kick the ball too hard.

“I hit a line drive against Carolina that shouldn’t have happened. I think I did it right after I made the 46-yarder. I was feeling really good, so ‘Let’s have a good kickoff’. I swung too hard, like a golfer. You get fired up and you bring out the driver. You swing too hard. It’s a good learning process again, some of the minor things you forget from season to season — after a big kick, OK, you’ve got to calm yourself down to kick off, make sure you’re doing all those little things right.”

And this summer’s competition with Josh Brown helped Folk with his inner game.

“Obviously, that always helps, to have them bring someone in of that caliber. It gives you some confidence, pushes you to your limits, pushes you to focus every day,” he said. “I’m still going out there every day, focusing just as hard as I was then, to make sure I’m getting done what I need done, what the team needs done, to get some wins under our belt, and we’re on the right track.”

Next up: The grass of Heinz Field, which should be in very good shape, having not been subjected to Steelers, University of Pitt and high school playoff games for most of the season. Even when it was, the last two times the Jets visited there in 2010, Folk’s kickoffs (from the 30 then) were mostly around the 10, but his seven placements (three FGs, four PATs) were all on the money.

Some deeper kickoffs and equal accuracy will help the Jets do what they need to do in the Steel City.

*Special Teams Saturday

Tags: , , , ,

86 Responses to “STS*: 6 Touchbacks Showed Folk’s Focus on Details”

1. By GaryC on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

It could be a bad omen for this week,Woody who says you can never get enough of Tebow,is already in Rex’s ear to use more wildcat and playing a more conservative style to avoid the steeler blitzes,this in turn gives sanchez less opportunity to air it out,rex still cannot believe the juggernaut he saw last week and will revert to conservatism in this political year.Tebowmania will be in vogue for one week until proven otherwise.

2. By Stevesc on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

What Nick Folk did in the opener against the Bill’s wasn’t lost on me… I noticed he was getting a lot of leg into his kickoffs, and made mention of the fact to my girlfriend as we watched the Jets beat down the Bill’s. I hope he can continue that throughout the year as it will keep the field long for the opposition’s offense, and ultimately help our defense. Now let’s go and get a win in the Burgh. Go Jets.

3. By scjoe on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

After finally getting a chance to replay the game there were quite a few observations I came away with that just got caught up in the action viewing it live.The biggest one has to be the difference between the Bills backs hitting holes, changing direction, and getting outside compared to our #1 Shonn Greene.I said it before the draft and I will say it again now, the presence of a quality RB who has the ability to change direction and get to the edge would make this offense very, very respectable, if not very good. Most of the other observations were on the calls by the 2nd class refs, like the obvious offensive pass interference on Cro on one deep pass, and the spot given to Kerely on that 3rd down pass, etc, etc.

4. By scjoe on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

All things considered it would be advantage Jets if Polamula AND Harrison do not play. The rest of the Pittsburgh defense is good, not great. Of course none of the “experts” give the Jets a chance to win this game, so I for one can not wait to see (or hear) their reactions should they do just that. Not to beat another dead horse, but one thing that still concerns me is the running game. Someway, somehow, that has to pick up to take the next step. However, I do believe Rex did not want to show the full WC package once they were up big vs the Bills. I think this week he will.

5. By Arte Olde School Section 327 on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

Same thing with Tebow bringing out the best as in Mark’s A game.. Folk’s consistency just as Mark’s efficiency (completion %, 3rd down efficiency, TD-INT.) He’s having his best year yet – BY FAR! A careeer year in fact. Top 10!Every game in every way we’re getting better and better.. No more steps backwards now that Shotty is gone!! “Ding dong, Shotty’s gone.” Cimini, like all the other “experts” are boobs. He actually predicted that St. Louis will upset us in Game 10 days before NE’s thansgiving massacre.. Don’t think so! Jets are on a mission now.. Just watch!!! One down and eighteen more to go! GO JETS!!

6. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

I thought the world was turning upside down when I saw all sorts of former free-speech advocates saying that we have to watch what we say about people’s religions otherwise the world could blow up and we’d deserve it. But with Arte’s customarily restrained post today, I can see things are back to normal in the universe. God love ‘im, only Arte could tell us that Folk, Sanchez, or anyone else are “having his best year yet” after…one game against a bad team. Still waiting on that Knicks championship with Lin playing like Frazier, Arte!

7. By Monday Morning Quarterback on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

JETS MELT STEELERS!!
    JETS DOMINATE AGAIN!
    Same Score as 1969 Super Bowl 17-6!
    Game Balls to WHole Defense, Nick Folk and Shonne Greene!!
    Surprise: Tebow Wildact Roara!!

8. By Tom Spicer on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

I agree 100% SCJoe if the Jets had a back with the ability to get to the edge & break a long run for a TD if the hole was there. It would make the ENTIRE Jet O that much better from the line, to the QB to thw wideouts. All these teams know Greene does not have the speed to break 1.

9. By SCfromNY on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

I hope this week Folk repeats his success on kickoffs (May he have many) and PATs. I would be very happy if field goals were not needed or attepmted since we scored all TDs.

10. By Charliejet on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

sjoe – agreed on Greene. Lacks lateral vision, he can eat up more yardage with a cut “here and there”. I think more rotation with Mckinight and Greene would actually be more of a change up to the defense then that “wild cat thing”. But as Blinka likes to say (If I may Blinka) eh ! What do I know?

11. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Randy your attention to detail was impeccable on Folk. Yes he looks good on P.a.t.’s But in all fairness. with the rule change, kicking into and beyond the end zone has become pretty much common place,wouldn’t you agree.? I watched all preseason, Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night games I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say about 80%of kickers are booming them into and beyond

12. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

I keep hearing we need a Back with ability to hit the edge and go, We have one Powell..If Rex or Tony ever give him the chance, we have guy’s with ability on this team, yet they just stand on the sidelines watch our starters grow old then we let them go .. very frustrating

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Arte, I recognized you in the disguise of Monday Morning Quarterback by the similar predictions for what PIT will score — 7 as Art on this site, 6 as MMQ. I certainly can’t say you lack for optimism but if we can hold PIT to that, it’ll have to be with Wilson, Trufant, and Lankster having the best games of their young careers, not to mention that liability-on-passing downs Smith. (Also don’t know why you think we can’t score more than 17 against a banged-up PIT D if we don’t waste too much time on the Wildcat.)

14. By Ray on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Is this SOS – same old Sanchez(7/19)? Can’t tell who’s to blame him or the receivers! Let’s see what we can do with 3:34

15. By Jake on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

monday morning QB, I think you have the wrong score to that Superbowl 3 win… It was 16-7 not 17-6. The only TD that was scored for the NYJ was matt snell on a 4 yard run off the left side. And i don’t know why you are quoting that game as evidence for a Jets win today because they played the baltimore colts in SBIII

16. By Karan on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Man, that loss was hard to take down. Told ya guys, these Steelers running backs, they refuse to go down, I don’t know where they find these guys, and how they coach then, but it just drives the fans of the opposing team crazy. I knew they were going to chew the clock up, but I didn’t know it would be THAT long, pretty annoying, definetly an upsetting loss, but no point in complaining now, on to the next one.

17. By Karan on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

One thing I will say, I was very surprised by lack of Tebow in this game, they should have used him and Mark together. He did spark the offense no doubt. Only 3 plays for Tim on offense I believe, they should have brought him in situations where they could fool the defense. Not the best day for Mark, he came out smokin, but then it was all downhill, he will rebound I believe, QB’s have bad days, heck, even Brady lost today. Anyways, hope Mark has a good one in Maimi. Also hope we see more of Tim next game, although he should be seen more for the elite-like teams.

18. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

No way the usual suspects can excuse this one away, Now you understand why I couldn’t be positive about last weeks game.. Sanchez will never be NFL QB material, Wilson will never be NFL CB material. Vlad will never be NFL O-line material and I’m not even scratching the surface . Hope you all believe What I’ve said about Holmes, Plax and Edwards for a Million each we keep this clown , Tom 64 your opinion on Holmes is as bad as Spicer on Sanchez.. is it any wonder Pittsburgh dumped him, Spicer I hope you learned something today in watching a real NFL QB in Big Ben. Tom 64 I hope you learned something today watching real NFL receivers. SANCHEZ NEED TO GO, Stop Blaming Schotty he wasn’t the problem. or solution It’s management..

19. By GaryC on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

It really doesn’t matter who plays for Pittsburgh they will always outphysical the jets anyway.Brown takes a shot from Landry,he holds on to ball,Holmes takes shots and coughs up the ball.you know during the game Big Ben will avoid a few sacks by just shooing them away like flies,and eventually the jet defensive line wears down against the steelers,just like clockwork.

20. By GaryC on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

can somebody please tell me what Bart Scott and Calvin Pace do for this team,anybody.

21. By kevin65fan on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Not going to win many games with over 8 dropped passes…and our sure handed Holmes with 5 dropped passes. Guess our receivers couldn’t take the hits from the bigger Steeler Cb’s. Only the easy catches so they wouldn’t get hit too hard.
    Officials were horrible in this game…bring back the regulars.

22. By GaryC on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Before I hear from Jetfantom,I did say sanchez would throw for less then 200 yards and have 1 touchdown,of course he did not throw the 2 intercepts I said he would,this game played out like most Steeler-Jet games do.

23. By scjoe on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Well, that is why you can’t get to excited after just one game!! What I find fascinating is the fact that you can pay a WR (SH) millions and millions of dollars yet he can’t hold on to the ball when it comes crunch time. Exactly how many passes did he drop today?? With the play of Mcintyre, someone tell me how BT gets that job back? And last but not least we have the very pedestrian play of the RBs once again. Did anyone take notice of Miami and Buffalo’s backs today?

24. By SCfromNY on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Well game is over and preseason concerns are back. The poor defense tackling and rushing the passer not bad results against the Bills but ineffective against the Steelers. Still chasing TEs and WRs. I gave sanchez kudos last week but back to poor this week. I know he was under pressure but so was Ben. Even so there were so many off target passes. WRs can not fight for ball effectively and running game except for a run or two non existent. Why didn’t McKnight get some carries? The only back to change direction and gain yards. Especially depressing since the Pats lost to the CARDS! Maimi no longer looks like a gimme. Still waiting for the big deal Wildcat.

25. By sal cottone on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Looked like the had a game plan, and enough energy for one quarter. Jets need the Miami game bad, its uphill few games after.

26. By GaryC on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

nice teammate holmes is as we know,when asked if he would give Hill a bit of a pep talk for having a bad game,holmes answers in the affirmative,NO.

27. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

One of those frustrating games that you can’t do much about. We had to play without some of our best guys but so did they. Edge to them because I think given who was out on their D, we should’ve been able to score a lot more — like I said in my previous post just before the game, Arte/Monday Morning Quarterback — but them’s the breaks. Given how well Sanchez, Hill, Kerley and others played last week, it’s a little early to expect them and everybody else to play that well every week against much better opponents. So I think we’re back to the next 5 or 6 games will tell us a lot about this team.

28. By MIKE on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Someone please answer this.

How many times was Hill targeted during the game?
    Why after gaining over 30 yards on three plays in the wildcat was Tebow removed from game when MS hadn’t completed a pass in 2 quarters?
    Why was Powell removed from the offence when it was clear that the Jets were running better with him in, instead of Greene?

29. By MIKE on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

On the bright side,

D looked pretty good despite loosing the worlds best defensive player.
    The running game looked pretty good.
    McIntyre played very well in BT’s absence.
    No picks by MS. O line played well.
    Connor looks much better this year.
    Wilkerson looks like the real deal.

But,

No pass rush.
    No pass game.
    No Tebow.

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Of course, we also had the ball in pretty good field position right before the half with all our timeouts and decided to just run it into the line twice, but even with Sparano at OC that’s Rex’s Jets. He probably thought we could “sit on our lead” for the second half…

31. By kevin65fan on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Tom64…Lin is not on the Knicks anymore…

32. By GaryC on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

I find it amusing that the receivers did not know what to say when questioned why the steelers defense was so tough after the first quarter,they say we will have to look at the film,aren’t there coaches up in the booth to relay information to the field,during the game.Ineptitude with on the fly changes,Also great call running a sweep with Shonn Greene out of the wildcat,he also had the ball in the wrong hand,does he know that.A great defense does not give up a 24 yard gain on 3rd and 30.That really kills field position.

33. By Chicago Bob on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

A few things we learned from the Steeler game: (1) Dustin Keller may be the best offensive weapon Jets have (2) If Holmes starts crying about not getting the ball, show him a replay of this game (3) Lamar Woodley is proof this team will never be an elite defense until it gets a full-time player who can pressure the QB (4) While Devito and Pouha may be solid against the run, they cannot rush the passer worth a you-know-what (5) I saw more pressure on the QB in one quarter from McIntyre than I have in one game from Brian Thomas throughout his career.

No need to panic, Jets are still a work in progress however they could really use a blowout in Miami (which they are capable of). With a rookie QB starting, Jets should put a hurt on him

34. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Gary C talking LB’s ..D played their hearts out O stunk, D had Big Ben in hand at least 5 times for losses, difference is he escapes and makes plays down field Sanchez Drops to the ground Int’s over under throws his receivers, what about Holmes dropping 6 of 8 passes thrown to him, Hill dropped one and we bench him what about Sanchez . Who here believes he will ever be able to play from behind or under pressure… Not me . we could have had both Plax and Edwards for 1 year at a million. instead we paid Holmes how many millions, what I saw out there him giving up on his team. Powell average 7 per in 4 carries and pulled ?? is anyone actually watching these Jets operate.. zero sense

35. By Karan on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet, QBs have BAD days, besides from that great opening drive, Mark Sanchez had a BAD day, Schottenheimer was the problem, he’s gone thankfully, Mark is NOT the problem. The whole team had a bad day yesterday, offense, defense, special teams, ya name it.

36. By Karan on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

We really need a new starter at running back. I prefer Joe McKnight to start, then Powell. Tebow needs to get more runs in, its upsetting yesterday they didn’t use him enough. That one rush for 22 was great, but Sparano never called his number again, pretty weird. But honestly, I’ll take Tebow, McKnight and Powell over Greene.

37. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Cont. I want to say like most, OK it’s one game on to next week.. But I’D be lying to myself, everything pointed to a win in this game, early part coming off 1 of Jets best games ever, 2 of Pittsburgh best Defensive players out. driving down field 80 yards momentum on our side, Late part, Patsy’s lost, Miami and Buffalo won in fine fashion, chance for sole first place early . But as usual Sanchez, Holmes, DB.s coaching folded like accordions.. We were out played in all 3 fascists of the game period , We keep extending contracts paying these guy’s more and more $$ and getting nothing in return.Woody gave Mike -T the Keys build me a team he said whatever U need.. Don’t Blame Woody either

38. By Tom Spicer on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Garrett Mcyntre looked like he was the only person who came to play the game. He had 2 sacks & a number of big hits. I think he should start for BT going foward we need young hungry fast guys who can rush the passer.

39. By Tom Spicer on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Is it me or does anyone ever I mean EVER think when Shonn Greene runs the ball that any run will go over 10 yards EVER?

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, Holmes was hardly the only reason we lost to PIT but I think you’ve missed a few posts, since my latest opinion is that we should trade him now while he’s worth something. Jake, don’t look for much logic in Arte’s comparison (sic) of the Jets SB win in predicting yesterday’s results, he’ll make use of anything in his unbounded belief in the Jets, that’s part of his charm. GaryC, I’m not gonna hound you on a game-by-game basis about Sanchez…or Newton, who played a perfect game yesterday. scjoe, last week this site was abuzz with the SB-like catch Holmes almost made, so let’s not get carried away negatively on him like we shouldn’t get carried away positively on the BUF win, okay? Agree with you on McKnight big time, SCfromNY.

41. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

I know Lin’s not on the Knicks anymore, Kevin65, that’s just me teasing Arte, who told me last yr when Lin had a few good games he was gonna lead the Knicks to the championship. The boy does get a little carried away at times. Chicago Bob, I think your pts about the pass rush are really good and I remain amazed that fans see that problem more clearly than Rex. Like I said in the off-season, Pouha shoulda been signed to a cheap, 1-yr deal, Thomas shoulda been let go, and Scott and Pace should catch some splinters while we play the young LBs more. But of course,that’s the kind of thing you do in a rebuilding yr and the Jets don’t want to admit we’re in one. GaryC, I think Holmes meant Hill isn’t a kid and doesn’t need to be treated like one.

42. By Tom Spicer on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe & Kevin64fan, Thank you for bringing it up cause if I had everyone would say I was just defending Mark Sanchez. I counted AT LEAST 7 dropped passes Kevin65fan said 8. I had 1 for Kerley & a muffed punt that hit him in the head (LOL) that gave Pitt the ball in our territory, Hill 1 drop of a deep pass he should have came down with & Holmes I counted AT LEAST 5 DROPS THAT HIT HIM IN THE CHEST! Now the usual suspects will say they were bad throws BLAH BLAH BLAH. NO good throws that hit him in stride that hit his chest & he dropped! Now I am not talking 2 yard Schotty stops / bops passes (or however you want to call them) I am talking ALL 7 were AT LEAST 10 yards down the field! Holmes you get paid $10 MIL a year CATCH THE BALL WITH YOUR

43. By Tom Spicer on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

HANDS! Do not let the ball hit your chest than try to catch it as it bounces off this leads to alot of drops. Being that you get paid a boat load of money to catch the ball for a living YOU should know this!

44. By Viveca on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Almost nothing positive to take from this game,( except for McIntyre. He should take over for B.Thomas right now). We were outmuscled, outplayed for 3 and 1/2 quarters of the game. Sanchez is back to being erratic and looking like a confused little boy on the sideline. Not sure he will ever be an NFL qb we can rely on. No hint of a pass rush. Where is Maybin? Coples after a promising preseason has gone into hiding. Yes, we missed Revis big time, but his absence had nothing to to with dropped passes. and a weak running game.Greene is not the answer at rb! Timid playcalling. It seemed as if the coaches had no confidence in the team, walking away with over 50 seconds on the clock before halftime.Pitt were missing star players but stayed tough.

45. By Tom Spicer on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Now I am not going to say the Jets would have won the game but if we did not have MULTIPLE down field drops the game would have been at least competitive. Randy can we get a official count of dropped passes for the game my guess would be at least 6 maybe 8?

46. By Randy Lange on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Tom, dropped passes are not an official NFL statistic so there is no official count. It’s possible Rex Ryan will put a number on the drops from the coaching staff’s video review at his upcoming news conference.

47. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, Spicer, I meant MJV, not you, re my “opinion on Holmes. And speaking of that, MJV, GaryC, and scjoe, from Cimini: “Holmes had two drops, but he drew four penalties.” That’s 2 drops, guys, not 5 or 6. I still think we should trade Holmes now or after the season at the latest, but let’s stick to the facts. Spicer, I watched Greene in college, was told by college experts that he had the right stuff, and really liked the look of him early on. He even showed some of that burst vs WAS last yr — you know, when Rex wanted him to sit down at the 1-yd line. But I’m starting to wonder if he’s already lost a step, like somebody said here last week, often he really doesn’t look like the same guy we drafted only a few yrs ago.

48. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Great post, Viveca, I agree with everything you say though not quite to the degree that you say it. I was thinking yesterday, “Well, Sanchez is having another one of those games in which he really doesn’t look like a starter” and on a day when rookie QBs did great around the league. But there were passes dropped and it’s still only 1 game vs a great D, so let’s wait a bit. As for Rex’s failure to do anything with that minute at the end of the 1st half, though, there’s no excuse for that and he does it time and time again, as someone commented in pre after the CAR game. He simply doesn’t understand that winning teams in this league try to score as much as they can, all the time, like the Pats, and that’s one reason we should let him go.

49. By GaryC on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

MikeJetVet,are you saying we do not have a problem with our stella linebacking group.did you see pittsburgh last touchdown,their back ran over Bart Scott,Harris as good as he is against the run,got torched with the Underneath routes,and he is the jets best cover linebacker,what does that say,and I already have mentioned about Scott and Pace.If Maybin is so good why isn’t he getting the playing time over these totem poles,I believe Rex needs to be questioned on this subject.also remember if the linebackers are slow in their drops it makes it harder on the corners also.

50. By GaryC on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom,enough with the spin doctoring of Holmes,he is one bad apple,as for Newton,please against the Saints,great defense there,what about last week against the Yuccaneers,and look what Eli did against them this week.

51. By russ on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Jets D allows 3rd downs keeps our offense off the field…we have no running back so our running game is sputtering…Can we get Woodhead back?…and when you get a penalty make sure it really screws the whole team and game…thats a must for clowns who play for Jets…

52. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I already said we should trade Holmes, whaddya want me to say we should do, execute him? I just can’t support 2 drops becoming 14 drops and every word out of his mouth offered as if he’s the Devil. What he is is a guy who we thought would be key in a SB effort of ours but since that’s not happening anytime soon, I say unload him for picks on which we can build a future, and I wouldn’t rule out doing the same with Revis. And stop this childish game-by-game nonsense about Sanchez and Newton. And start watching the games, Newton played tremendously and I’ll take a win over the Saints, something we couldn’t achieve a few yrs ago, anytime. 2 or 3 games in it’s impossible to draw major conclusions, as NE’s loss yesterday clearly shows.

53. By scjoe on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Ok people, lets just put this in to perspective. on the first drive of the game, which was a scoring drive, Mark Sanchez was 3 of 4 for 69 yards and a TD. The rest of the game Mark Sanchez was 7 of 23 for 69 yards. THAT tells you all you need to know. There is no way, and I mean NO WAY any team wins with those stats. I know there were a couple of drops but not quite 15. What makes that stat even worse is the fact Pit was without possibly their 2 best defenders.

54. By scjoe on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Just to follow up on that Sanchez/Eli discussion that a couple of you were having the past couple of weeks…After Eli threw 3 INTs and the Giants were down 27-13, what did he do? Just threw for over 400 yards and 3 TDs. THAT is how you carry a team and bring it back from a large deficit and come away with a win. Please, no more Eli comparisons! At least not until I see just ONE game where MS comes remotely close to numbers like that in a situation like that.

55. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, No I’m not saying, our defense isn’t old and slow I’m saying their effort was far more then our inept offense..They did as well as expected after playing 40 minutes, While Sanchez and cohorts were busy going on their usual 3 and outs drinking Kool aid on the sidelines, while these so call old linebackers were on the field bleeding..and yes why wasn’t Maybin,, McIntyre, Coples, Powell McKnight, Hill all playing .Tom are you kidding me,Holmes had 2 drops first did you watch the game .second, what are you willing to commit against what really happened out there .I will guaranteed at least 4 and know one was knocked out after a love tap. so that’s 5 bring your proof and I’ll admit I’m wrong, Practice what you preach Friend

56. By scjoe on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, and Danny too, see, a WR can’t possibly put up big numbers if he is not targeted!! Compare Hills stats yesterday to Schliens. Gee! That is what a level playing field does?. Also GaryC, did you happen to take a look at Richardson’s stats yesterday against a pretty stout Bengals defense? So, what have we all learned after 2 games? For me, don’t put a whole lot of stock on just one game! Wait for a body of work.(Hill, Richardson, Sparano, the Jets offense etc.)

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Sanity from Serby in the Post: “Down only 13-10, you at least make an attempt to score before the half. Sanchez, with 2 timeouts at his disposal, took over at his 31 with 57 seconds left. He swore that Timmons’ noggin-knocking foul earlier in the quarter didn’t affect him. He handed off twice. That is what you call playing scared. “There was discussion about it, but ultimately it was Sparano’s call and he wanted to run out the clock. We were getting the ball in the 3rd quarter so defer to Coach Sparano,” Sanchez said. What kind of message does that send, to your offense, and to their defense? What kind of message does it send to Sanchez?” The message that Rex still doesn’t understand that you win by scoring more points than the other guys.

58. By Chicago Bob on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

It is obvious a top flight running back is needed and more help on the OL (guard, particularly) will have to be addressed in the draft as well however when you think about it, 3 of our starting 4 linebackers (Pace, Thomas & Scott) opening day will most likely be gone after this season. Hopefully we can have at least one or two kids (McIntyre, Davis) step up and show they are capable of doing the job otherwise LB is going to be a HUGE priority next season and with all their upcoming free agents (Keller, Landry, Maybin, etc.), the Jets will not have the luxury of addressing it via free agency.

59. By scjoe on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Stat of the day (or at least one of the important ones) the secondary had 20 tackles and 11 assists. What does that tell us?

60. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, once again blaming the team for Sanchez inability to run an offense. even after Schotty is gone, Viveca said it best looks like a little confused Boy out there.Spicer you forget he dumbed down the playbook for Sanchez, enter the ground and pound,Which got us 2 AFC Champ Games, BTW Rams looked good yesterday.With 5 former Jets and Schotty..So again your argument holds no water sorry bud ..

61. By walt on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

That game against the Steelers was disgusting.There was no sense of urgency.Revis should of played.I hope everyone realizes we just lost the head to head against the Steelers.I am sure the Steelers realize that.Of course if we continue to play like we did against the Steelers that will be a moot issue.Would someone please tell me why the Dolphins game is going to be that much easier.Trust me if we play against the Dolphins like we did against the Steelers we will surely lose.Revis was cleared he should have played.Fifty seconds to the half in a crucial game and we just sit on it.No wonder the players did not take the game seriously.It seemed like only McIntyre knew what was at stake in this game.

62. By JetBlue on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

As JFS64Tom correctly pointed out, Holmes didn’t have all those drops some are pinning on him. He scored one TD and was being held, bumped and harrassed the whole game. I feel sorry for those that keep hanging on to the notion that MS will ever QB this team to a SB victory. Or that Rex has any clue how to correct what we all see over and over again (poor clock mgmt; poor use or non-use of timeouts; failure to gameplan and make adjustments as the game rolls on; failure to recognize poor play & use subs). When this team has a bad game it’s always for the same reasons: poor tackling, poor QB play, no running game, good defensive pressure on the QB but too many escapes for big gains, lack of discipline, team not playing or thinking as one.

63. By JetBlue on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

How many hand tackles did Bart Scott miss these past 2 weeks. But he’s Rex’s pet so he stays on the field. What was Cromartie watching when the ball was hanging in the air for ten minutes while Wallace waited for it to come down? 3rd and 16 and he gives up a freebie. You could see many of the Steelers laughing on the sideline after that play. The Jets put fear into nobody because their coach doesn’t prepare them to do so. That Buffalo game was a gift and this team seemed to think they didn’t have to come into Pittsburgh and EARN a win. The Steelers were hurt too. But their coach had them ready to play however they needed to. Tough, physical football. The Jets are a joke because of their coach. But I’m not laughing.

64. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Jetblue. let me explain why so many believe Sanchez will never be NFL material unlike you who won’t explain, why he will, just make the comment for some opinions are just that .When a Play breaks down or doesn’t go exactly to script a good QB like Big Ben will impervise check down make something happen break tackles not jump to the ground, unlike Sanchez play breaks down so does he, as a result , trips stumbles bumbles throws Int’s overthrows and under throws receivers , all Good NFL QB’s win big games, super bowls, etc.on broken plays Sanchez doesn’t have that ability,.again I only go by what I’ve seen. Your comment on Holmes is totally ridiculous . performance spoke for itself he let his team down can’t spin it..

65. By Tom Spicer on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Tom 64 & Mike Jet Vet, Cimini is 100% WRONG! I will guarntee you Holmes had at least 4 drops by himself. I will watch the game again & name the plays if you want me to. Tom 64 you love to quote the local paper writers well here is a quote for you. From Serby “The throws were not there at times & the catches were no tthere at times. We need to work at that & be on the same page” from Mark Sanchez. I will translate that for you to english. These guys dropped way to many balls out there & they were the difference in the game.

66. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Oh I forgot. On Rex I have backed him until now,after seeing yesterdays game. Just one more game plan, strategy, clock management, running out the clock 1minute to go 2 timeouts left 1st half. I will call for his firing as well.. Just so you all know I’m the first to admit when if wrong, plus equal opportunist when it comes to being critical about what I believe

67. By GaryC on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe,I knew you saw those Trent Richardson stats,we will see,as for Eli,he can throw 3 interceptions and keep throwing long because he knows his receivers will eventually make the big play,rex sees an interception by Sanchez and then goes into his offensive shell,speaking of Rex I never heard of anything dumber then saying he didn’t play Couples because steelers have some big offensive lineman and he wants to match his heavy guys with them.Doesn’t that also mean Couples would be a helluva lot quicker then those guys too.

68. By MIKE on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Hope to see more 4-3 looks next week with McIntyre at OLB, and more Coples. Let’s find out what the Jets have with there first rounder. Pass rush still a major problem.

69. By Jet Blue on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

MikeJetVet: I never gave Holmes a pass on the drops. But he was not the reason for the disappointiong play and the ultimate loss. You should know that I’ve been posting for the last two yrs that Sanchez and Rex are the bigger problem. Successful teams have a great combo of coach and QB. The 49ers are getting better because their QB is not throwing Ints any more and their coach has the whole team playing at a high level. This Jet team is mistake prone and all we ever hear from MS is that he has to play better, and from Rex that we need to correct our mistakes. I really don’t care what they do with Holmes. He’s a talented WR who maybe would be a better football player if he had a QB that had some leadership skills. He’s scared!!!

70. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Spicer I never, disputed Holmes dropped 4 balls I’ve stated he dropped more then 4 plus one slapped out of his Mitts . I have also went as far in saying he’s gave up on his team. reason I’ve questioned paying him for doing nothing, earning nothing, well,other then plenty on crying he doesn’t get Thrown to enough, if he were paid for that and dropping balls he’s under paid… out of the 10 balls thrown his way maybe more I believe he caught 2 one slapped out, rest out and out drops

71. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, I could quote a lot of writers today about a lot of bad aspects of the game, as a lot of folks are doing on this site right now. And watch that game as many times as you want, you won’t see 5 drops by Holmes if you’re not trying real hard to. JetBlue’s assessment of it all is much more on the mark, including his insight on how when we lose we often seem to for the same reasons. I had that same thought yesterday, that this Steelers game looked a lot like the playoff game only with the halves reversed. Chicago Bob, you get the award for earliest speculation on the 2013 draft of the year! Though that’s a dubious distinction if I ever saw one…

72. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Karan and whom ever, keeps insisting Sanchez is not the problem and is capable of taking us to a SB Instead voicing an opinion,(((make your point the FACTS ))) until you do which I know you won’t or can’t at least myself and others who watch the same Sanchez I watch. mention every reason why he isn’t the answer.. what has he done in 3 seasons, he loses every big game we play except one NE, Bret Farve, won the other in NE, Please don’t insult us about games that brought us into 2 AFC Championships or and I’ll give the answer Greene had a big run and touch down in San Diego B- Smith had 3 – 4 long runs under center scoring touch downs as well in Cincy I can go on if you like, MAKE your case then I’ll listen.

73. By scjoe on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, I think you know by now I am a Rex supporter, but if that comment about him worrying about the INT so much that he actually instructs Sparano to shut down the passing game is even remotely true (which I don’t believe is) there goes any respect I may have right out the window. How do you expect to come back from a 2 TD deficit (like Elie did) without the forward pass? Or do you just concede the game? I don’t buy it.

74. By scjoe on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, I will agree that Holmes had more then 2 drops, but I wont agree that THAT was the reason for the loss. The reason for the loss was shared by many players and elements, Holmes, Kerley, SANCHEZ, Rex, Sparano, the run game, the ridicules, dumb penalty’s, the secondary and last but certainly not least, the superiority of the Steelers execution in just about every phase of the game.

75. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Jetblue.. I stand corrected. I agree done and done

76. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

what’s puzzling me, with all the knowledgeable fans here, .I’ve yet to hear the real story of this game first half Jets we were the better team. had Pittsburgh on their heels, actually seeing the concern on Mike Tomlins face, Everything was going fine, Turning point of this game, Whom ever called Running out the clock with 1 minute left 2 timeouts in the half, BTW Tom 64 we we.weren’t sitting on a lead we were losing by 3. displayed tremendous weakness in our game plan attitude confidence in team ability to get the Job done, That my friends Changed all the momentum of this game, like a good coached team and player pride took right over, proving who the better team was . They win 9 of ten given this situation Period

77. By SCfromNY on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Poor showing on D. Rex afraid to blitz and put pressure on secondary. When he does blitz half the time the blitzers miss. I am tired of hearing about Ben he is not Vick. I am a fan of Rex but slowly losing it. Who is making the decisions on who plays? Other teams can tackle. See 49ers. Other QBs can light it up when needed. See Eli. It’s always excuses. “We have to play better” “We have to correct our mistakes. Sporano is not the answer over Schotty. Who would trade for Holmes. We got him for a fifth round pick and he has a huge contra What will be our excuse in maimi? Where is our young speed? I saw Tiki become huge for Giants. Let’s give McKnight a chance. Can he be worse?

78. By Tom Spicer on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, I did not say the the drops were the reason for the loss. I said the game would have been competitive if it were not for so many drops.

79. By Jet Fan Since' 64 Tom on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

It’s just occurring to you now that Rex is so afraid of INTs that he shuts down the passing game, scjoe?

80. By Jet Fan Since' 64 Tom on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

That was a joke about Rex sitting on our “lead,” MJV, he’s so unwilling to attack on O that going into the locker room down by 3 is, well, okay with him. THIS IS WHAT’S WRONG WITH “WE’LL WIN A LOT OF GAMES 10-7,” which by the way is exactly the score Arte predicted last week. Any HC who goes into the locker room at the half down 13-10 thinking, “That’s okay, we’ll just score a TD and hold Ben R and an explosive PIT O to nothing and win” is NOT IN THE REAL WORLD! But that’s Rex and all you guys who think it’s 1985. We won’t be a SB contender until we win a lot of games 34-31, like GB, NO, NE and the teams that are really in contention. Nice to see folks pointing out that we got McKnight to replace Leon at RB but aren’t using him that way.

81. By scjoe on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

64, as I stated above to Gary, it is hard for me to believe that Rex would instruct Sparano to shut down the passing game simply because he is worried about the INT. I don’t know how much of a leash Rex gives Sparano, but I would suspect it is a pretty long one, so if Rex actually did give him instructions to shut down the passing game I would suspect a reply from Sparano to go something like this, “with all due respect sir, are you blanking crazy? You want to shut down half of our offense for fear of a turnover that you can get just as easily with the run game?”

82. By Jet Fan Since' 64 Tom on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

You have a lot more faith in Rex on O than I do, scjoe. I don’t think he knows anything much or cares much more than that. I think the description that he gave a year or so ago about how he stops by the OC’s meeting, suggests a play or 2 (that used to be Brad Smith, now it’s probably Tebow) is almost certainly the full extent of what he does. The inconsistent at best, pathetic at worst results on O would seem to bear that out, as well as his constant references to RBs from the Stone Age of pro football and unguarded confessions like “If it was up to me, I’d just run the ball” — yeah, while the Bradys and Rodgers’ and Brees’ are completely redefining the game!

83. By scjoe on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

64, you may be right on Rex’s knowledge of offensive football. I thought that was the reason he went out and selected his own OC. In my post above yours, the point intended was “how is Sparano OK with that decision?” I saw, or heard no ranting or raving coming from Sparano over that “ludicrous” decision to run out the clock. That tells me it “could” have come from him, not Rex.Bottom line, of course, no matter who’s decision it was, it truly was “ludicrous” As one of our former HCs put it, “you PLAY to win the game!” You don’t play NOT to lose it.

84. By Jet Fan Since' 64 Tom on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

I agree with most of your latest post, scjoe, but I don’t think Sparano is all that much more up-to-speed on O than Rex. He admits there is such a thing as downfield passing and favors engaging in it a bit, while also wasting time and energy on something called the Wildcat. I know about the one-eyed being king in the land of the blind but still, this is nothing to write home about. All I’ve ever said about Sparano as an HC is that if you had to dump Rex at midseason due to public outrcry, Sparano’s capable of guiding the team until January. But I wouldn’t put him on any short list to stick around in any capacity after that if we have a meltdown yr.

85. By chris long time fan on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

we are going nowhere with mark sanchez at qb .he makes to whole team look bad.rex better let the silverspoon go or he will be gone too.MCEKROY enuff said

86. By chris long time fan on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply