• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Wed., Oct. 22, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the meda following practice.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 3:30 PM EDT Live Press Conference: Coordinators Jets Coordinators Thomas McGaughey, Marty Mornhinweg, Dennis Thurman will address the media.
  • Thu., Oct. 23, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

Revis Declares After Practice: ‘I’m Playing Sunday’

Posted by Randy Lange on September 20, 2012 – 2:18 pm

Updated postpractice, 4:12 p.m. ET

Five words uttered at the top of Rex Ryan’s news conference today were music to Jets fans’ ears:

“Revis is cleared for contact.”

And five more words (two in a contraction) offered by Darrelle Revis at his locker after practice made the music sweeter still:

“I’ll be playing Sunday.”

However, as the Jets head coach cautioned inquiring minds in the media room here at the Atlantic Health Training Center, Revis’ availability to start on the corner at Miami on Sunday is still not a fait accompli.

“I don’t want to be saying something that isn’t true,” Ryan said when asked if being cleared for contact is the final hurdle for No. 24’s returning to action. “I’m going to be leaning on the doctors and trainers. Hopefully, he’ll play, but I guess we’ll see. … I can say I expect him to play, but again, I’m going to lean on the doctors and trainers.”

The one thing Ryan would say is that Revis would practice full today, and he did. That was the first time he practiced full since Bart Scott accidentally kicked him in the back of the helmet late in the Buffalo opener. He didn’t participate in the first two practices after suffering a mild concussion, then was limited the Friday before Pittsburgh and for Wednesday’s practice, all while trying to clear the hurdles of the NFL’s concussion protocol.

“I felt yesterday I could practice full contact, but it’s still protocol … I couldn’t hit anybody yesterday, nobody could touch me,” he said. “Usually when you’re injured, you have to wear the red jersey. I told them I didn’t want to wear it. I felt like I could play full-contact.

“But today it felt good. I actually got a little press in on some guys. … Contact actually feels good today, hitting guys and guys hitting you back.”

Ryan wasn’t going to give a premature game status for Revis, but he did allow that he’s happy that he’d been cleared for contact.

“Without question I’m happy about that, for his sake,” the coach said. “He loves to play, and he’s healthy. I think that’s a big thing. If he’s not the premier defensive player in the league, he’s certainly up there, and having him, as a player, as a player, you’re happy for that also.”

The Dolphins’ happiness was perhaps in inverse proportion to the Jets’. As rookie QB Ryan Tannehill said Wednesday about the prospect of making his first visit to Revis Island: “He’s a great player. You can’t put it any other way. He has good ball skills, good speed, plays tight coverage, man-to-man pretty much the whole game. He’s an All-Pro corner for a reason. We have to have a game plan for it and find ways to attack him.”

Revis was asked if he could be a boost to the Jets’ defense for the important divisional matchup.

“I’m just one guy,” he said. “We have tremendous guys there on defense. I’m just happy to be back. I’m ready to do my job and that’s to compete and play.”

The Rest of the I-Reports

Other tentative pluses for the Jets’ injury report: TE Dustin Keller (hamstring) and S Eric Smith (hip/knee), both not participating yesterday, were limited in today’s practice.

On the tentative minus side, the Jets added one more player to their now 20-player list and downgraded another.

Rex said CB Ellis Lankster “has a low back issue. He hurt it during practice yesterday. So we’ll keep him out of practice and hopefully get him back later in the week.” Lankster, who saw extended action as the Jets’ third DB at Pittsburgh, was limited Wednesday by the mid-practice back strain and is a DNP today.

Rookie DT Quinton Coples (illness) also didn’t participating today. Neither did FB John Conner (knee), LB Bryan Thomas (hamstring) and S LaRon Landry, who’s been sidelined for the third Thursday this season to help his ongoing recovery from his heel issue.

The Dolphins have added starting OLB Kevin Burnett (foot) to their list as not participating today. Also, WR Marlon Moore (hamstring) was downgraded from limited to DNP. The rest of their 10-man report remains the same as the day before.

Heavy Hitters

LaRon Landry followed up his late hit out of bounds on C.J. Spiller in the opener (offset by a Bills holding) with calls of a late hit on Emmanuel Sanders and a horsecollar tackle on Antonio Brown on Sunday.

Ryan said it’s “human nature” for officials to want to keep on eye on Landry during games, but the coach said while his veteran safety hits hard, he hits legal.

“I love the fact that LaRon’s got a reputation as a huge hitter,” he said. “There’s not anybody who’s going to say he’s not a clean player. He’s a clean player. But he’s a hitter. Yeremiah Bell is a hitter, too, but they’re going to do it within the rules.”

Rex cited LB Calvin Pace as an example of that as well, when he had several hard but textbook and legal hits of Ryan Fitzpatrick in the opener.

“You can tell our players are very mindful of that,” he said of hitting with their shoulders and not leading with their helmets. “We’re trying to be as physical a team as we can with in the confinements of the rules. We’re not trying to injure anybody, but we’re trying to hit and be physical.”

Another Long Conversion

A Revis return wouldn’t hurt the Jets defense, which considers itself better than many of its mid-to-low NFL rankings after two weeks of games. One thing the “D” really want to avoid is what happened on the Ben Roethlisberger-to-Mike Wallace touchdown pass in front of CB Antonio Cromartie: opponents’ third-and-long conversions. The 37-yard TD strike, after all, came on third-and-16.

Last year you’ll recall the Jets allowed eight conversions on third or fourth down with 11-plus yards to go. In 2010 they allowed 13 such plays (including two on Roethlisberger passes and one on a Big Ben run in the two meetings with the Steelers). That’s the most allowed in back-to-back seasons since the 22 third/fourth-and-long conversions in 1979-80 (19 in ’79 alone). In the 20 seasons from 1980-2009, the Jets allowed about six of those conversions a season, about the same rate as the Jets offense converted.

Talk about your backbreaking plays. Cutting way back on these unlikely chain-movers would do a lot to help the Jets defense return to top-10 form.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Revis Declares After Practice: ‘I’m Playing Sunday’”

1. By wayne on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Strictly a panic move. This group has made a habit of rushing players back before they’re ready…..It only serves to underscore the importance of this game in minds of Rex and Co……I’m the Fins, I find out immediately how well he is……This would be a great oppty for the defensive genius to show his wares, ala Belichick, and dial up some ingenuity, as many of us saw him do as a Jet DC. Rex wasn’t able to get it done last week and he’s admitting this week, against a weak team, he’s unsure he can get it done once more, by rushing back his defensive centerpiece………….I CANNOT WAIT FOR THESE GUYS TO GET SWEPT OUTTA HERE…ESPECIALLY T-BOMB.

2. By scjoe on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Smart decision by Rex not to commit on Revis eligibility for Sunday. Let the fish stew in it for a while. Me personally? I kind of have mixed emotions about him playing. For starters, I think the CBs that are available are more then adequate to cover any WR Miami throws out there. On the other side, should Revis play, he will take away one side of the field in the passing game and limit the options for Tannyhill, and the front seven should be able to get after him much more effectively. If they can do that AND control Bush, it will make things a lot easier. One other consideration, THIS game vs Miami is MUCH more important then next weeks meeting with SF.

3. By Jet Blue on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Rules require Doctor’s note to play in the game. With or without Revis, the Jets have superior talent on both sides of the ball, roster vs roster. But Jets/Fins are never won on paper. Dating back to the Marino days (never mind the fake spike) the Jets/Fins always seem to entertain. Many times, the favored team loses. These two teams always seem to bring out the best and the weird in each other. Hopefully, we can get back to playing honest football and beat the Fins because we wanted it more, and because we played a good game with no stupid mistakes.. A hard fought win would send a message to the fans that this team can play with discipline and is willing to play 60 hard minutes – including the last 57 seconds of the 1st half, REX!

4. By RON ALEXANDER on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, oh yeah, I’m with you on this weeks game.If we loose this week we are staring a 1-3 start square in the face as NOBODY is pick’n us over the 49ers next week.Wayne, not sure this is a panic move as I believe Revis would have played last week if it were a must win. If he was up running around late last week as was reported in the N.Y.papers, his concussion was obviously mild. I have had three concussions and believe me there is a difference in terms of severity. S.C,J I think Rex loves the rep L.L has been earning as he loves to intimadate opposing recievers. The problem is if it get out of hand he will face possiable suspensions and I’m not sure any of us wants to see much of Eric Smith at safty.

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

If we can’t beat the Fish and their QB and WRs without Revis, we’re really nowhere near contention for a playoff spot this yr. But I’m not sure whether that’s an argument for playing him or not. You could argue that if we don’t play him and lose, we’re in a heck of a hole since they’re probably the weakest opponent on the entire schedule and there are a lot of great opponents coming up. On the other hand, if you can win without him, you can rest him till those bigger games vs SF, HOU, and NE that are coming up soon. So it would take a good deal of courage to hold him out this week…which, knowing all-talk, little-guts Rex, means he’ll probably play…

6. By SCfromNY on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

I am glad that Revis is back but I would temper that with caution. Of all the teams WRs we will face Maimi’s are the least trouble. Play him in and out or let him sit the first half and see how it goes. Any chance they will give Sanchez a rest after all he got hit. They could start McElroy saving Tim for the awesomeness of the wildcat. I’m glad the D feels they are not rated very high. Perhaps they will attempt to do something about it. I hope the O gets on track and uses some of their speed especially McKnight. The Dolphins have a greaat front 7 and I don’t want to see Greene smashing into it for a yard or 2. This is a good week to get better on O. You don’t want to have to try to fix stuff against the 49ers.

7. By Ronald T on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

The Jets stopped playing the Bills after they got a big lead. The Jets stopped playing just before the half at The Steelers. Win or lose they better not stop playing at the Dolphins. If they do you can kiss the play offs goodbye. Thats a symptom of bad coaching. And you don’t win championships like that. Play 60 minutes.

8. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY, why do I get the feeling that if McElroy were somehow to have to start a game this season, against any opponent, he would lead the O in their most crisply-played, mistake-free game in years?

9. By scjoe on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Jet Blue, you slam dunked it. No matter what the “paper” says about the Jets having more talent on both sides of the ball, if this becomes a typical Jet – Dolphin game (which I believe it will) it will go 12 rounds. That said, don’t underestimate the fins front seven because it could be better then the Jets.

10. By 40 year fan , John on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

This game against Miami will tell us alot …Like do we belong at the bottom of the barrell ? ..I am not banking on a win …After our showing in Pitt …If we can’t beat Miami , we should be thrown out of the NFL …

11. By 40 year fan , John on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

….I knew we were going to lose to the steelers before the game even started …In fact , I already marked it as a loss on my schedule , before the game began …

12. By 40 year fan , John on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

And I also think we don’t stand a chance against either the niners , or The Texans …We just aren’t good enough …and I don’t think The Jets are Hungry to win ..Those two teams might drop back to back 40 burgers on us …

13. By Charliejet on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

“If in doubt – keep him out” I’m with ya on this Tommy boy (64). Save Revis for the other teams. Nothing is a given in this league but the Jets should be able to take care of business and I NEVER like to make predictions. SCfrom NY – Greene fall down go boom!

14. By IRA on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Sorry i would not put Revis back on the field. aganst the Fish. I think if Lankster was healthy they might think twice even if Revis was cleared to play. If Cro and Wilson can’t handle the Fish’s WR group then the Jets have big problems. I would sit Keller too they better get him 100% or that hammy will be an issue all year.
    Love Landry’s style of play but sorry he has to be smarter and not get those flags. Late hits out of bounds and horse collars don’t cut it.
    Still don’t understand how they didn’t use Powell and or McKnight for screens last week going against a very aggressive D.

15. By scjoe on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I will answer that question about using screens and draws more against an aggressive Pit D with another question. “Have you really seen anything different in this years Jet offense that you haven’t seen in the previous 3 seasons under Shotty?” Sure it is still early, but my concern is that of a trend. After that initial drive vs Pit this offense completely and overwhelmingly bogged down. THAT, falls equally on 2 people, the OC and the QB. Because that would cover both, play calling AND execution of the plays that WERE being called.

16. By scjoe on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

As for Revis? If he is cleared by the doctors to play, I would let him play. This is a huge game, but not just A game, it is an away DIVISION game. If the schedule were reversed and it was SF this week and Miami next week, I would agree to hold him out an extra week. In the grand scheme of things a win in Miami is much more important then a win vs SF, an NFC match up. If we are going to be 2-2 after 4 games, we need those 2 wins to be vs Buffalo and Miami.

17. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Charliejet, Ira, and scjoe, of course Revis is a great competitor and wants to play. I’m sure that was also a factor in the yr that he held out and injured himself getting beat for a TD by Moss vs NE, so players don’t always make the best decisions on their own behalf, that’s what coaches and players are for. But I think Rex is in the old Tom Tresh position (THERE’S an analogy for the old-time New York sports guys!) this week. If he doesn’t play Revis and we lose, the press is going to start predicting 2-14 and Rex’s imminent departure. Those stories will be about as believable as polls that oversample Democrats insanely and show Romney getting crushed, but Rex will still take the heat. So I guess he feels his hand is being forced here.

18. By Tom Spicer on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, i have been busy so I have not been able to post. Anyway 2 posts back you told me not to bring up things that happened 2 years ago. Mike said we have not beat the Pats since Favre was with us & at that time Brady was not playing. Joe Caps said we have not beat a winning team since 2010. I corrected them cause both of those statements are wrong. Should that not have been addressed to Joe Caps & Mike The EX Jet?

19. By Eric on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

A panic move? He has sat out for almost 2 weeks, the doctors cleared him to play so why wouldnt he play. Sounds like you are the only one in panic mode.

20. By Tom Spicer on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe & Mike The EX Jet, 2 posts ago both you posted a respone to me in regards to me saying “Marks wins” when in fact I never said anything close to that. Please read back my posts I said the Jets & in Rex’s 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

21. By Tom Spicer on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

2 days ago I said that this is a must win for the Jets a divsion game vs a AFC foe. We play the 49ers & the Texans in the next 2 weeks. If we dont win this game we may be looking at 1 & 4. We will be talking about the draft in the 1st week of October which is pitifull. In todays local paper Revis said the same exact thing. Revis said this week is a must win. If some of you guys think the negative nancys are out. If we lose to Miami the sky will be falling & the world will come to a end!

22. By scjoe on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, make no mistake! It really don’t matter to me who makes what statements and whether they are true or not true. That is their opinion and that is on them. My point is that what happened 2 or 3 years ago means nothing today. And that statement is 100% factual and it is out there in plain sight for anyone to see and read and contradict. And that statement holds true whether what happened then was good or bad, true or false. It just don’t matter today. Save yourself a lot of grief (because today’s Jet fans have enough already) and just let it go.There are some statements you make that are correct, there are some they make that are correct. Everything is relative.

23. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Anyone watching Giants lay waste to Carolina last night , should end any discussion about needing any one player to win, any idea how many starters Giants had sitting in that game, Look at this new RB Andre Brown how did Mike-T miss him? he was bounced 8 times last 2 seasons,bet they got him for nothing not to mention 2 Kids playing TE and W/O none were starters yet they played big contributing to a 29 point win against the over publicized Cam Newton.. That’s what good teams and players do ,, BTW Coach didn’t have to coach much did he Eli was all the coach they needed.. He makes everyone better period

24. By Mike Jet Vet on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Rex is ruining his reputation as DC/HC not to mention his team, protection Sanchez, Scott few others loyalty is fine given the right situation , ..Any good team would cut their losses like Pitt with Holmes, without missing a beat. move on. Like I have stated a while ago Payton Hillis, Cedric Benson, Brandon Marshall, this kid Andre Brown. all were out there for the taking for nothing more then an average contract by today’s standards.. .Hernandez go’s down NE gets their pro TE next day..MIKE-T IS ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL..Mike -T and players are 90% the problem coaching will take care of it’s self. Coaches basically coach to the strengths of their players . systems are in place.

25. By scjoe on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, you have to be a little more specific then that. I looked 2 posts back and there were 179 comments. All I could find in response to any of your posts had to deal with Shottenheimer and his offense in ST.L compared to NY. You sure you don’t have me confused with Joe Caps? Because there was some back and fourth talk between you and him about wins 2 or 3 years ago, there was also some between you and MJV. I didn’t see, or remember any where I commented on “Marks wins” Give me the specifics and I will look again.

26. By scjoe on Sep 22, 2012 | Reply

Spicer,, you are right, I am wrong! I looked closer at that post and you never said “Marks wins” Don’t know where I read that, may have been someone else. So, I stand corrected, contrary to popular belief I am not above that. Just remember this, I am not here to “bash” you personally. We have a difference of opinion on MS but that is about it. I offer comments and opinions and counter same. I am not always right I am not always wrong. Like everyone else. So, my apology’s if I offended you in any way, that is not what I am about.

27. By Charliejet on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

IRA – I agree with you. Jets don’t seem to use screens just to shake it up or nullify a pass rush to keep em’ on their toes. Sparano does seem to be opening it up in other areas i.e throwing down the field more (long and medium range) not these inept quick square in. Notice Sancheze is stepping up in the pocket more as well.