• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

DT Kenrick Ellis Prognosis: MCL, Out 4-6 Weeks

Posted by Randy Lange on October 11, 2012 – 4:51 pm

The Jets’ injury picture had its ups and downs and situations that could have been worse.

In the snakebit category, Rex Ryan said the word on NT Kenrick Ellis is that he has an MCL sprain and could miss four to six weeks.

Then there was Eric Smith’s situation. He’d been coming back slowly from hip and knee issues suffered in the preseason opener at Cincinnati. He got in close to 45 snaps during the Texans game. But at Wednesday’s practice, he landed hard on his knee.

“It was a scary moment,” Ryan said. “Erick goes up to knock a ball down and comes down on his leg. It’s just a sprained knee, but I think he’s probably going to miss this week with it. Honestly, I thought it was going to be much worse than that. I think we’ve got enough of these, but fortunately it doesn’t look like it’s going to be too long.”

Otherwise, the Jets appeared to be healing OK. LB David Harris (hamstring), LB Bart Scott (toe) and WR Jeremy Kerley (finger/illness) were all limited Wednesday but full today, and S LaRon Landry (heel) was also full. TE Dustin Keller and WR Stephen Hill remained limited with their hamstring issues but Ryan said both remain on target to return to action on Sunday. C Nick Mangold didn’t practice again but the coach said, “I think Nick will probably be able to go.” He also wasn’t ruling out DT Sione Po‘uha (low back) but said he’s more likely in the questionable category at this point.

The Colts had their own good news/bad news health reports. Good news: LB Dwight Freeney (ankle) practiced full today in Indianapolis. Bad news: LB Robert Mathis (knee) remains a DNP and coordinator Greg Manusky said today that Mathis won’t play against the Jets. OLBs Jerry Hughes and Justin Hickman are expected to see extended playing time in Mathis’ absence.

And RB Donald Brown (knee) has been reported to be out for the next two or three weeks, meaning that rookie RB Vick Ballard will start Sunday for the Colts, giving the visitors four rookie starters on offense, five if you include third WR T.Y. Hilton.

Tags: , , , , , ,

35 Responses to “DT Kenrick Ellis Prognosis: MCL, Out 4-6 Weeks”

1. By SCfromNY on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

I said in another post that something must be wrong with the strenght and CONDITIONING coaches. Far too many similar injuries to just attribute to bad luck. Didn’t Smith play through injuries last year? I know safeties are hard to find but we got rid of one injury prone safety, why did we keep this one?

I will admit to not having a expansive knowledge of the ins and outs of all positions. But looking from the outside could Maybin play safety? He is fast and physical. As a LB he must have some coverage ability. How much would it intail to train him at safety?

2. By scjoe on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Before anything else, I just want to give a shout out to my Giants!! No, not the NY Football Giants, the former NY Baseball Giants who now reside in San Fran. I was born a Giant fan and I was very, very pleased to see them hold on in that nerve racking 9th inning today and sweep the Reds in Cincy. On to the NLCS where I think that they will go on and win it all for the 2nd time in 3 years after not having accomplished it in 56 years. See, NEVER say never!

3. By scjoe on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

SCfrom NY Maybin is a 6’4″ 250lb OLB/DE, he has good speed to play those positions, but he would be overmatched in epic proportions playing safety, his coverage skills as an OLB are not that great, that would be magnified big time at safety. Factor in he just don’t have the skills, the instincts, the stamina, or the training to play S and you have your answer.

4. By scjoe on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know SCNY, I would have to attribute at least some of the injuries to the new CBA. I think all teams are experiencing that. But when you talk about the NY Jets it doesn’t seem to be proportional. If I were a superstitious man I would have to go along with what I have been hearing since Jan 13th 1969, the day after SB III when there were those who said Joe Willie sold his soul and the collective souls of all future NY Jets to get that win. Of course, I am NOT a superstitious man so I don’t know what the answer is with the streak of bad luck this team has had over the past 40 years or so.

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Psychiatrically-minded folks like to say that there are only two crazy things you can do, overreact and underreact. Well, after at least 2 yrs of the Jets org making every possible excuse for Sanchez no matter how badly he plays, we’re apparently on the verge of sitting him, probably in favor of Tebow based on Woody’s “Forever is a long time but Tebow will be here for 3 yrs” remark. To scjoe and others I say that I can’t speak for sure about the draft, but this seems to prove that Woody, or Mr T backed by Woody, call the shots on the big questions like who’s the starting QB. Which I submit is a situation no honest Jet fan could possibly be happy with and the final evidence that Woody must sell the team if we’re really gonna get anywhere.

6. By IRA on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

This is a big blow to a D that already can’t stop the run. Hope Muir and harrison can step up. Way too many injuries for the Jets and all around the league. Pitt lost a few players last night. If possible its time they rethink the game. It can’t keep going this way. Soon you will need to carry a 65 man roster to be able to compete. And they want to push for an 18 game schedule. Please give me a break.

7. By SCfromNY on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Ryan says that he will continue to feed Greene the ball. What does he see that no one else does? The HC is in trouble if he is not willing to acknowledge problems that his players are having. Being stuborn has become being stupid in regard to Greene.The problem is that with 1-2 yards for a first down we have no reliable option. Sanchez is as likely to throw a pick as a TD. Greene is lucky if he doesn’t lose yardage. Injuries can not continually be responsible for the inability to score from inside the 5.

8. By GaryC on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Kudos,scjoe on those giants,hopefully the jets have enough fortitude like those guys had.

9. By GaryC on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

even Jaworski is questioning the jets coaching staff,and this is from an ex player,that should tell you something.

10. By GaryC on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Being out here in Indy,Muir played pretty well for them,that was then,this is now,hopefully,he still has something in the tank,if there is anything we don’t need,it is another past his time player,here.

11. By GaryC on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,look at the history of the giants,Ott,Mays,McCovey,Cepeda,Jim Ray Hart,Bonds,Matthews,Maddox.All through their Minor league system,if the jets could draft half as well,we would be super bowl contenders.

12. By Bitter Blinka on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

GaryC:

I did not catch was Jaws said. What did he say?

Sincerely,
    Bitter Blinka

13. By GaryC on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

jets better not only watch Reggie Wayne,but Donny Avery who was a bust with the rams is having a very good year along with T.Y. Hilton,After the success the Texans had on reverses against jets,you can see that in the colts gameplan,those two guys can hop and outflank Pace and Thomas.

14. By GaryC on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Ira,so with the rash of injuries,what you are saying is,you are paying full price for an inferior product,I guess we need to report this to the consumers advocate.

15. By Tom Spicer on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

There are a few others that need to benched if we lose this week who have seemed to go unmentioned. How about Greene, Pouha, Devito, Thomas, Pace & Scott.

16. By scjoe on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, dead on accurate, and don’t forget Clark, Thompson, Cain, Lincecum, Mat Williams, Bumgarner, Posey, Sandoval, etc. The list goes on and on of home grown products, unlike a certain football team that I follow.

17. By GaryC on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Bitter Blinka, on Mike and Mike ths morning,check it out.That is what was said.

18. By scjoe on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Ira, you make a great point about expanding the roster. I have been asking this question for quite sometime now, but no one can give me the answer…”Why in the name of everything holy is there a need for an “inactive list?” Why take 6-8 players from the 53 and place them on an “inactive list” it is not for financial reasons because they earn the same salary one way or another, it is not for any type of competitive edge, so exactly what is the point? Blinka, you played in the league, you have the answer?

19. By walt on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

I was just wondering with all the tipped balls Sanchez was getting in the Texans game why weren’t more rollouts called.I also think that the Jets should question the NFL in their handling of the Slausen Cushing case.I would like to know why they felt it neccessary of all the 100’s of ACL cases they thought that it was neccessary to review this case.

20. By JET Fan For Too Long on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

it is not all Sanchez’s fault he needs to be protected for a few more seconds the line and the receivers are the problem

21. By scjoe on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, agree on Pace, Scott, Greene and Thomas, not so much the other 2 guys. But consider this, if you were to “bench” all of the players who are underperforming on this team you would be hard pressed to start 11 on offense and defense. Sad right? This season is spiraling out of control quickly, I think that a loss vs Indy will send heads rolling, with NE, Miami, Seattle and NE coming up again something needs to change. I think it is time to figure out who you have on this roster, who will stay, and who will go beginning 2013.

22. By Bitter Blinka on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

How many years are we going to see the Jets not get a pass rush. I have not expressed my bitterness about the DL in a while, but what’s going on here!

Sincerely,
    Bitter Blinka

23. By scjoe on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Ira, if you recall, I mentioned Damon Harrisson back when camp first started, I asked you to keep an eye on him when you go up to Cortland. I think he is the real deal and he will surprise, beginning this week. He moves very well for a big man and he can tie up blockers.

24. By Mike Jet Vet on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Ira as I watch these games, I’ve noticed something that disturbs me deeply, the vast amounts of direct hits to knees of players while cutting,making moves or reaching for the ball. I believe that should be the biggest personnel foul of all, talk about hitting a defenseless player.. unlike everyday injuries they usually cost you a few games, Knee injuries as a norm take you out at least a season if not destroy a players career… If any rule needs to be changed it’s this one , instead of where the ball needs to be placed on the kickoffs…

25. By kleckofan on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

JFT64- along psychiatric lines… Einstein said that the definition of insanity is “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”. Hmm, that could be the NYJ motto. I cannot even begin to understand the level of denial in this organization with regard to so many situations: Tannebaum, Sanchez, Greene, the age of the defense, on and on…if it weren’t so painful it would be funny.
    On the collective bargaining agreement: Management should never, ever give away the right to determine how they operate their business. Letting the Union dictate practice rules etc is ridiculous. In the next negotiations the owners should agree to a legit disciplinary procedure and the players should give back control of practices.

26. By Mike Jet Vet on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

cont.finally i’m hearing about what I’ve brought to the forefront some posts back, about player conditioning, like I had stated right after we lost Sal Acorsi . this team as a whole has been devastated by nagging injuries which I believe lead into major ones . Take Revis he’s had at least 3 nagging injuries past 2 seasons bet we can go up and down this entire team see a pattern here, This is yet another of many organisational problems that needs to be addressed

27. By robertpapalia on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

This team stinks like a dead fish. When you have a fish you first cut off the head. Tannenbaum. Then you cut off the tail. Ryan. The next thing you do is gut out the middle. Roster. With what is left you keep. The core. That is what I think has to be done with the Jets if they are ever to become a top echelon team.

28. By THUNDER LIPS on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

can’t catch a break … given this loser of a season we are having it should be all about rebuiding. now we lose our future nose tackle for up to 6 weeks. maybe this other kid will shine. hopefully hill gets better so he can start getting nfl experience. running back … ony god knows. I can’t tell if it is the o line or the RBs but it is just listless. all i know is its time to face the music, regroup, reassess and move forward.

29. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I disagree with you about a lot of Jet-related things but you hit it out of the park re the already unacceptable level of injuries and how the ridiculous notion of an 18-game season would only make it worse. kleckofan, the thinking by this org definitely must change if we’re not going to fit the Einstein model for insanity. And MJV, that’s a great pt about Revis and the injury situation, which reminds me of Jenkins. Even some of out best players, like Revis and Holmes, are getting beat up and we are one of the last teams in the league that can afford that. Definitely have to wonder if Alosi, whom the players seemed to love, is a big factor here.

30. By Tom Spicer on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

For all the posters that want Mark out. This is it Mark Sanchez’s last stand if they lose to the Colts at home this week. Tebow will start next week vs the Pats. My hope is the return of Keller & Hill help out the O. We win at least 2 of these next 3 games & go into the bye at 4 & 4 or 5 & 3. If we put a rally together starting this week I think we can really make some hay in the second half of the season.

31. By scjoe on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Here is Drew Stanton’s quote re: Mark Sanchez….”Had Mark (Sanchez) struggled, they said I’d have a chance to play,” Stanton told Newsday. “So there was no better opportunity than that, and I was excited about it.” NO-BETTER-OPPORTUNITY-THEN-THAT!!! What else is left to say? I understand there are still many apologists out there, but in reading some of these quotes by other players, sports writers, and sports analysts, looking at his less then stellar stats, and watching him on game day, what more will it take? Anybody else out there believe he is “struggling?” Did Tim Tebow get the same assurances?

32. By SCfromNY on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Rex is not a bad defensive coach and he really is not a good players coach. He sticks with underperforming players forvever. He can not seem to bench non performing starters. Try to imagine Parcells or Cowher having a RB who gets less than 2 yards on most carries. One decent carry per game keeps his adverage over 2. How long would Greene start on ANY other team. We have to suck it up and make wholesale changes. Continuing to sign veterns past prime who Rex treasures, giving money to players so they feel good. Our #1 WR who we pay elite WR money to has adveraged 44 catches per year. Thats 2 games for Welker. There are too many problems. The Jetsbest hope for a good year is 2014 IF they shed all the horrible contracts.

33. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, that’s a pretty far-out theory on Tebow starting next week against the Pats. I understand that another bad game from Sanchez might merit his benching, but putting in Tebow for his first start ever as a Jet vs one of the best teams in the league and one that’s also our main divisional rival sounds to me like throwing the game away for a publicity stunt. In other words, it sounds like exactly the kind of thing Woody might do.

34. By Charliejet on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

I know what the problem is for this team… Rex is confusing this team with his NFLfantasy team hence these bizzare decisions.

35. By Ron Alexander on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

IRA, I have been wondering about the roster size too? S.C.J makes a good point about not dressing the full 53? i think that will change by next year with all the injuries. WALT, I actually counted 3 tipped balls by Watt alone. If the O-line does there job you really dont need to roll out. On a short pass like the one to Keerly that Watt deflected and was intercepted the O-line is supposed to fire out at the d-linemans knees or groin area. This is supposed to get their “hands down” THUS IT’S CALLED HANDS-DOWN BLOCKING!In this case, it was Ducasse who retreated instead of fireing out and thus Watts hands were free to deflect the pass.Gee, what a surprise, Ducasse screwd up again?