• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00PM - 8:30PM EDT Live JTL Schedule Special Complete analysis on the Jets 2014 schedule, including interviews with head coach Rex Ryan, wide receiver Eric Decker and ESPN national correspondent Sal Paolantonio.
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Inevitability on the Island: Revis Goes to IR

Posted by Randy Lange on October 12, 2012 – 3:58 pm

Updated, 6:20 p.m. ET

Head coach Rex Ryan said he was hoping against hope but that the more medical news that came in, the less hope there was.

So this afternoon Ryan announced that CB Darrelle Revis will be placed on injured reserve, officially ending his season.

“I know I had said before that I’d like to wait for Darrelle to have surgery,” Ryan said at his afternoon news conference at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. “Unfortunately, really with our time situation and Eric Smith being out this week, we’re going to need that roster spot.

“And when I said there was a point-zero-zero-two chance, it’s not that high. In the best interests of the organization and Darrelle, we’ll place him on IR. He won’t be designated for return. And that will be it. I was holding out hope, but the more information we got, the more you realized it wouldn’t be good for Darrelle either.”

Ryan said Revis will undergo surgery on his torn ACL on Thursday, Oct. 18. He also reported that WR Santonio Holmes (foot) and LB Josh Mauga (pectoral) have already undergone surgery for their injuries. Holmes’ Lisfranc injury occurred against San Francisco and Mauga’s came Monday night vs. Houston.

“We’re anticipating and assuming, really, that these guys will be full-go when we come back in the offseason,” the coach said.

The Jets also announced tonight that they are filling Revis’ roster spot by signing S Antonio Allen, their seventh-round pick out of South Carolina, from the practice squad. Due to Smith’s injury Allen could be in uniform Sunday. With Stephen Hill’s potential return to action, it’s possible five of the eight members of the Jets’ 2012 draft class could see action vs. the Colts.

Hill Will “Try to Make a Big Difference”

Newyorkjets.com reporter John Holt reports from the Jets locker room this afternoon on rookie Stephen Hill:

It’s been a little over a month now since rookie wide receiver Stephen Hill broke onto the NFL scene.

The 6”4’, 215-pounder has missed the last two games rehabbing from a hamstring injury that he suffered during the Jets’ 23-20 overtime win against Miami back on Sept. 23.

“It’s been hard,” Hill said this afternoon after practice, “but the guys in here have been keeping me grounded and making sure I get back out there as quickly as possible.”

It appears that No. 84 will make his return Sunday when the Jets host No. 1 draft pick Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts at MetLife Stadium. The Colts hold a 2-2 record and are coming off an impressive 30-27 win over Green Bay.

“I feel pretty good,” Hill said. “I’m just looking forward to Sunday.”

After catching five passes for 89 yards and scoring two touchdowns in his NFL debut, Hill was held without a reception in his next two games.

While sidelined, one of his biggest mentors, WR Santonio Holmes, suffered a season-ending foot injury. Hill, the Green & White’s second-round draft selection, understands that although he still is a rookie, he will be expected to step up moving forward.

“I’m going to try and make a big difference, as much as I can, any plays that I’m in,” he said. “But other than that, we’ve been doing a great job. We just have to get that connection. Once we get that connection, it’s going to be great.”

Besides Hill, the Jets also expect to have tight end Dustin Keller back Sunday. Keller, who previously hadn’t missed a game or practice in his four-year career, has missed the past four games, also with a hamstring injury.

With both receiving options expected back, quarterback Mark Sanchez and the Jets offense should receive a significant boost.

“It’s frustrating,” Hill said, “especially as a guy that doesn’t do that, just sit on the sideline for an injury. But you know, I had to go through it and I hope it’s best for me, so I didn’t have to hurt anything.”

The Rest of the Injuries

Besides Hill, the Jets listed three other players as limited today: TE Dustin Keller (hamstring), C Nick Mangold (ankle) and LB Bryan Thomas (hamstring). Keller and Thomas are both probable to play vs. the Colts. As Keller said in one last visit with reporters today, “I would never guarantee anything, but I think I’m pretty much 100 percent.”

Mangold is listed as questionable with the ankle he injured early in the third quarter against Houston. Although he returned at the end of the third quarter and finished the game, he was held out of team drills all this week. But Ryan said today, “I definitely am hopeful he plays” against Indy.

Five players did not participate and all are listed as doubtful: FB John Conner (hamstring), DT Kenrick Ellis (knee), WR Clyde Gates (shoulder), DT Sione Po‘uha (back) and S Eric Smith (knee).

The Colts are listing six players as out for the Jets — LB Pat Angerer (foot), RB Donald Brown (knee), LB Robert Mathis (knee), DT Fili Moala (knee), G Joe Reitz (knee) and DT Martin Tevaseu (ankle) — and one player as doubtful — CB Vontae Davis (ankle). All but Angerer and Tevaseu, the former Jet, are starters.

Three Colts are probable for the game: LB Dwight Freeney (ankle), RB Mewelde Moore (ankle) and C Samson Satele (knee).

Cena Steps into the Ring Sunday

WWE Superstar John Cena will lead the Jets chant pregame and serve as an honorary team captain before Sunday’s game against the Colts at MetLife Stadium. WrestleMania XXIX will be coming to MetLife Stadium on April 7, 2013. Cena will be playing his new role six days after comedian Kevin James handled the chant duties at Monday night’s game against the Texans.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Inevitability on the Island: Revis Goes to IR”

1. By Mike Jet Vet on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

This is what infuriates me .we all knew well anyone with any common sense. Revis should have been put on IR the very next Morning.. Instead of all the bloviating , Being I love Football in general almost as much as my Jets, I’m going to try and Root for the Giants, Not saying I’m be happy but i’ll have something to look forward to, at least until this excuse of an organisation wakes up and starts catering to it’s fans not inexperienced coaches GM’s, Over paid players whining instead of contributing, trading every viable pick for a player we trade away never develop remains backup for years or cut before season begin.. never made accountable, constantly shoving their mistakes down our throats with excuse after excuse,, enough

2. By scjoe on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

MJV, the only thing that makes sense is that DR did not want to be put on IR and informed Rex, of course Rex would appease him. There was no way DR comes back from that injury this season. One thing is sure though, he will not be replaced even remotely by anyone on this practice squad. Someone Else’s? maybe a better chance.

3. By barker on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

I agree about the elite QB’s being a rare find. I think the coaches and teams have gotten away from developing QB’s and letting them get good at their craft. That is sad. Think of some of the greats, many of them took YEARS to win the big one. I honestly think that there are only a few coaches who actually know how to develope a QB and Ryan is not one of them. Someone stated earlier about how it took Eli 6 years to raise the level of his and other’s play. Look at Alex Smith it took him 7 years to get the right coach and scheme and they are an awesome team. I guess what I am trying to get at is this:

4. By barker on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Cont.
    So many people here say that Tebow is not the answer either. How do you know? Last year Denver never let him throw and develope the skill he needs. When they let him play (and throw) he did well against the Steelers. They let him throw against the Vikings and did well. No one, NONE OF YOU will know what he will be able to do given the chance. He has started all of 12 games and already people want to say he can’t play, that is crazy. At least Mark has had the opportunity to start for 4 years straight and still can’t get it done I think if Tim can get that kind of opportunity you will see a MUCH improved passer. I guess we will see.

5. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

WOW.. John Cena, maybe they should try him in the QB position and make Kevin James a wide receiver, The Jets are already the clowns of the NFL, so why not make it funnier. Mike, I agree with you. Excuses are all thiis Coaching staff is good for…

6. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

PS… Start MaClroy…

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Wow, MJV, you even thinking of rooting for the Giants is like the lifelong Democrat doctor and his entire family in Chicago I just read about who are all voting for Romney! My own view is that while I’m sure Rex doesn’t have complete control over the IR, just like he doesn’t have complete control over anything else on this team, I wonder if there’s more to this seeming concession to reality. That is, I wonder if Rex has already heard rumblings from the FO about big changes possibly coming in the off-season or even during this season. Arte, our 1-in-4 prediction that Rex could be gone by Week 10 and Sparano in as interim HC — I said INTERIM, folks, I DON’T see him as the answer in 2013! — might have just gone up to, say, 1-in-3.

8. By Raymond Carey on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Why doesn’t Mike Tannenbaum, Tony Sparano and Rex Ryan ever get injured?

9. By Charliejet on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

Any body miss Stanton yet? (remember him?)

10. By Charliejet on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

Rex reminds me of this infamous leader ordering armies around that just didn’t exist while his generals (assistent coaches) took orders blindly.

11. By SCfromNY on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Mike, now I don’t have to write what you said. Spot on! It’s past comical. We have an under 50% startong QB, a RB who struggles to gain 2 yards, LBs that we watch chasing plays all day, an opposing QB gets to sit back and pick the Jets apart because we have no pass rush, and coaches that need to be replaced. Sporano makes us miss Shotty. Rex’s unwavering support of poor players and complete confusion about the O. He even couldn’t remember how many games Hill missed. I still remember when Parcells was asked about a slow healing WR. He said, “SHE should be back soon.” Time for Rex to realize he is here to win not be a cheerleader for players he likes or wishes he was. My support and liking of Rex as a coach is going downhill fast.

12. By carweezy f on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

Just become a Giants fan then. All I hear is crying about the Jets and negative things. We were 2-3 last yearf too. Until we are actually eliminated from playoff contention, stop with the negative comments you miserable people.

13. By SCfromNY on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

When you are winning it is easy to overlook certain inadequasies. Last year and this year brings to a forefront the deplorable lack of depth, time management, and starting players performing only as good as back ups on many teams. A starting #1 WR who adverages 44 catches a year or almost as many catches in 3 years as Welker (132). They feel sorry for Sanchez because he had batted passes and his WRs tipped passes for INTs. Well if he moved in the pocket while looking downfield they wouldn’t be batted. If he placed the ball where his WR had a chance for YAC and didn’t have to stop and go back there would be less tipped balls. It starts at the QB and there is no running game or D to mitigate it this year.

14. By GaryC on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

I will be watching Montae Ball against Purdue today on the Big Ten network,Never too late to look at this crop of running backs coming into the draft,seeing that what we have is no where near NFL caliber.

15. By Ron Alexander on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

Barker, we know Tebow is not the answere because his career passing % is even lower than Sanchez’s. We know because he has spent countless hours trying to improve his throwing motion only to revert back each and every time he gets into a game.If you want a technical breakdown here goes; The proper throwing is to bring the ball back by the ear keeping it on plain and above the left(in this case) shoulder. the q.b then steps forward,brings the ball past the ear again,releases it and follows through.like a good golf swing this is a repeatable motion that promotes a consistent accurate result. In Tebows case, he brings the ball back past his ear o.k, but then drops it well below his shoulder(as low as his knee on occassion0 which results in a -

16. By Ron Alexander on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

cont.- much longer to complete & duplicate motion. That is why his throws are consistently inconsistent! The other problem with the longer motion is it takes longer which allows the rush to get to him and it also gives the d-backs more time to react and intercept or deflect the pass. Tebow did have some success against the Steelers because they played without several starters and also used 8 to 9 guys in the box in an effort to stop him from running. If you want to bring up his success against the Steelers you must acknowledge his complete ineffectiveness the very next agame against New England when he was like 6 for 30 somthing and less than 50 yds for the entire game?

17. By Mike Jet Vet on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

Example, Inordinate.amount of Hamstrings.I know it’s part of the game, .Here’s the difference with Jets , We have a 23 years old rookie started all of 2 games missed 2 of 5 1st season, Keller didn’t play one this year, B’- Thomas Elder statesmen .anyone getting where I’m going with this .. What I’ve said and strongly believe is nagging injuries usually become major injuries during course of any season . These Kids are not prepared to play games these not in game shape , Players like Jerry Rice C-Martin W-Payton Stayed in shape all the time very rarely were hurt during let alone before season even started. next example, inmates are running the asylum, not the guards

18. By Mike Jet Vet on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

cont. Oops memo to self, Mike Jet Vet please proof read before posting. to fast on the draw ,

19. By scjoe on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, look no further then USC (E not W) RB Marcus Lattimore. Right now he is projected as a mid 1st rounder, but knowing this kid like I do he will rise after the combine. He just may be waiting there when the Jets (less Mike Tannenbaum hopefully) will pick. Among the many needs for this team, and I said this before last years draft as well, is a dynamic RB. Someone who can take the focus off of this sad QB situation we have here.

20. By GaryC on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe,update on Ball today,has close to 250 yards rushing,man that would be about 5 games for Shonn Greene.

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY, good pts about tipped throws, anyone who’s played QB, WR, or DB knows that a tipped pass is actually one of the hardest ones to catch. You’re on your route, aware of the defenders, anticipating the ball the second it leaves the QB’s hand, and suddenly it’s knocked off course like a plane hit by a missile. Not at all easy to make that catch under any circumstances. Newly lower-cased Ron Alexander, Tebow also had success vs the Steelers because they played without 5 key starters and with a barely-able-to-suit-up Ben R. If PIT had been healthy, they woulda romped.

22. By SCfromNY on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, no one agrees more than me that we need a RB. However a decent RB can be found with proper scouting. OK, we don’t have that but if we still have the management and scouting next year we will not pick the right players. I am sure everyone is as tired as me of watching other teams have a low level draft pick RB or even FA be successfull on other teams. We not only don’t uncover a gem, I’m not saying we can find a FA like A.Foster, but so very few of our draft picks do well. Name a draft pick or FA that we have picked in the last 3 years that has performed well. BTW when I say FA I mean unsigned college players not older players.Anything sort of a complete overhaul will destins the Jets to be forever medioce. 8-8 is NOT a goal.

23. By boni on Oct 13, 2012 | Reply

@Ron Alexander…so you are telling us that Tebow is not the answer because his % is lower than Sanchez?
    Eli 2004 48.2% 2005 52.8%
    Elway 1983 47.3% 1984 56.3%
    Rogers 2005 56.3 2006 40%

So…. give Tebow a chance!

24. By ELI RODRIGUEZ on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

I’m back home in the USA– Afghanistan was rough but I got to see 2 Jets games—unfortunate they were the niners & texans……lol! I’m writing this season off (I’m sorry) cause even if by some miracle we make the playoff–how far would we will go(i mean really) I don’t recall who posted ” let evaluate what we have and gut this baby. STRONG LEADERSHIP MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE. I SAY IT AGAIN– just give me RUSS BALL FOR A GM—rebuild the O-LINE FIRST AND LET THE KID FROM ALABAMA (McELROY) show us what he got. BUT I WON’T GIVE M.S. OR T.T……1 year let along 3 more years to develop into ELI MANNING (MR. BAKER & BONI)……APPLES & ORANGES PEOPLE—2 different breed.

25. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Great statistics Boni. One thing you are over-looking is where Tebow throws the ball from Tebow brings the ball back past his ear and then drops it well below his shoulder, no good QB shrows like that. Most good QB know how to look one way then throw the opposite way (Rogaers, Eli, Peyton, Breese and Brady) among others. MS looks one way, defenses anicipate his throw causing MS to lead the NFL in interceptions as fot TT he is “NO” better. I agree with with the fact that we have no RB capable of gaining more then 2 to 3 yards in any set position. Watch the difference between LUCK today and MS… But “alas” I will still bite my nails today in hopes of a JET win. “LETS GO JETS”….