• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Ryan Sticks Up for Belichick on Gronk’s Bad Break

Posted by Randy Lange on November 20, 2012 – 6:29 pm

What’s the Jets-Pats rivalry coming to?

Antonio Cromartie, for instance, today had words of praise for Tom Brady.

“The guy’s won Super Bowls. I have respect for him from that standpoint,” said Cro. “He’s a competitor. He’s going to compete. He reminds me a lot of Philip Rivers in that he’s going to trash-talk back at you.”

And then there’s Rex Ryan and Bill Belichick. When the Jets head coach called the Patriots’ head coach the best coach in football, etc., before previous matchups, some suspected Ryan of being insincere. Not true. Rex really does respect Belichick.

And today he went so far as to defend Belichick against media and fans in the Boston area who were critical of Belichick playing Rob Gronkowski on the last extra-point play of the Patriots’ 59-24 rout of the Colts on Sunday — the play on which Gronkowski suffered a forearm fracture that will keep him out of Thursday’s Jets-Pats tilt.

“Yeah, absolutely ridiculous,” Ryan, on a conference call with Patriots reporters, said of the flak Belichick had been drawing. “It was on an extra point. He’s done that probably 100 times this year for the simple fact of how many points they score. You never see that. Every single team in the league … we have D’Brickashaw Ferguson in there.

“You don’t play the game that way. It’s just an unfortunate thing. That’s just a freak deal that that would happen. But unfortunately that’s part of the game. Injuries do happen. We lose [Santonio] Holmes and [Darrelle] Revis to non-contact injuries and it’s just one of those things and it’s just unfortunate, obviously.”

Belichick seemed touched when told of Ryan’s defense at his own news conference with those same reporters.

“I didn’t hear it, so I’m just taking your word for it,” he said. “I feel like I have a good relationship with Rex. Obviously we want to beat each other. We’re in the same division and that’s just competitiveness. I see Rex from time to time during the year. Like I said, we had his brother on the staff here for four years. I’ve known his father for 30 years, whatever it is, it’s been a long time. I think that there’s a lot of…he’s a son of a coach, he’s a football guy, he’s been around it his whole life. I have, too. There are a lot of things we have in common.

“But this week,” summed up Belichick, back in character, “it’s about two teams trying to compete against each other. That’s all it is.”

The Life of a Hard Hitter

Jets S LaRon Landry was asked about the flap surrounding Ravens S Ed Reed’s helmet-to-helmet hit on Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders on Sunday night, which initially drew him a one-game suspension and was reduced today after appeal to a $50,000 fine.

“Yeah, I heard he got his [penalty] reduced. That’s good. That’s great,” said Landry as one fellow hard hitter to another. “Being a physical football player, things like that happen. He was just trying to make a play. He’s good at what he does.

“I know Ed personally. I know that was not intentional. It’s football, man. But within this game we have rules that are going to be enforced.”

It’s not just professional courtesy. Landry and Reed are both Louisianans. In fact, they played against each other for rival high schools in the Metairie area.

Rex Cetera

The Jets made two roster moves today. They announced this morning that rookie free agent LB Marcus Dowtin had been waived. Then this afternoon, GM Mike Tannenbaum disclosed on our own “Jets Talk Live” with my partner Eric Allen that veteran WR Jason Hill had been released.

That gives the Jets three openings, since they were at 52 players on the active roster for the Rams. Expect a few signings to be announced before the Patriots game.

A perhaps interesting injury note is connected to J.Hill’s departure. He was listed on Monday’s injury report as not practicing due to a low-back injury. With that listing, the Jets had 19 players on the list. Today’s list is down to 18 after Hill’s release. The Patriots have also listed 19 injured players both days this week, and their two reports were also identical.

So for the first time this season, 32 separate injury reports in all, the Jets have listed fewer injured players than their opponents.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Ryan Sticks Up for Belichick on Gronk’s Bad Break”

1. By Bennett on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

As it stands now Sanchez is ranked 29 out of 32 starting QB’s with a league low 53.5% completion rate, ( this inclds his “good” game against the Rams ) he was the 5th pick and this IS HIS 4TH YEAR. Richard Todd a 6th pick finished with a lifetime 55% completion rate and had 161 pics in 119 games and we kept him for 8 years.Would you not think that after a 30 pic season our illustrious front office might just want to “reevaluate ” the QB situation? Not the Jets they kept him for years after. Same old Jets just can’t admit that maybe the blew the big QB pick ( Shhhh… if were real quiet maybe no one will notice )

2. By dougmc on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

no attempt at getting Aqib Talib or Plaxico? A win over the Pais and we still have a shot of a miracle. Either way, Jets need big changes next year.

3. By IRA on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

I would take a flyer on A. Curry who the Raiders just waived. he is worth a look at and or resign Maybin.
    I agree with Rex about Gronk being in on an extra point play. He is part of the unit and you can’t make changes like that. Its not like sitting a RB or QB with a few minutes left in a blowout game.
    While Mike T has been getting heat for not getting enough talent this year you have to give him credit for signing Landry who is having an excellent year and also Bell. We need both of them to have bigtimes games vs the Pats this week.
    Everybody have a Happy Thanksgiving, God Bless those who are trying to get their lives back together after the storm and GO JETS!!!!

4. By Frank on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Trufant was a huge factor in our passing D in the first Pats game. There will be alot of pressure on Lankster to pick up that slack. Brady will pick on Wilson quite a bit this week.
    The real issue is Sanchize-Not as it always is. Will he manage the game effectively enough to keep this team from getting blown out. The Pats D is atrocious but they force a lot of turnovers. If Sanchize-Not turns the ball over we will lose this game.

5. By Jete Fan Since '64 Tom of Few Words at Thanksgiving on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

I don’t want to hear Rex talking about other teams’ great draft picks until we start drafting better. As my friends’ teenage daughter in Wisconsin, who roots for the Jets, said the other day, “Why can’t the Jets ever get an Aaron Rodgers or a Clay Matthews?”

6. By Tom Spicer on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Ron Alexander, What I was trying to say the other day & I guess I did not do a good job of it. Wilkerson to me is a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT. He is 315 LB interior D lineman I dont think we will ever see him as a 10 sack plus guy. The things he does will not show up in the stat sheet. If we were to move to a 4-3 full time (which is what I want) I do not think we have the 3-4 pass rushing OLB’S to consistently put the heat on the opposing QB. Our strentgh is our secondary & our D line our weakness is our linebackers but we run a D with 3 d lineman & 4 linebackers (go figure shouldnt it be the other way around?) anyway getting back to the point I am trying to make. Unless the Jets say we are going to go to a 4-3 fulltime & tell Wilkerson to lose

7. By Charliejet on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

We still have a shot at the division this year. Obviously that’s only if we beat the Patriots on Thursday. But just say we do, we will be 5-6 and the Pats will be 7-4. They play the Texans and 49ers the next few weeks and will still be without Gronkowski. The only thing we gotta hope for is that the Dolphins win one of the two games against them (because of the tiebreaker). This means that if we win out or lose one game, we win the division, which shouldn’t be too far -fetched based on our upcoming schedule. The next tiebreaker that doesn’t tie would be common games, which we would win because they lost to the Cardinals(the pats). I KNOW, I KNOW ! Hey sometimes I like to stir the pot – OK ?

8. By Tom Spicer on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

30 LBS & get down to 285 like Coples & get his speed up to play 4-3 DE. I see him as a 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE.

9. By Jete Fan Since '64 Tom of Few Words at Thanksgiving on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Jane McManus writes this today on ESPN: “The good thing is that many of the players in [Sanchez's] own locker room see that their starter has been dealt a raw hand. The stilted offense that has Sanchez in running a conventional quarterback system is intermittently replaced by Tebow’s Wildcat or option scheme. It hasn’t worked, and often disrupts the flow of Sanchez’s next play.” Yes, and some of us we were saying that more than two Thanksgivings ago, even before Brad Smith’s great game vs CIN, saying that the occasional big play out of the Wildcat wasn’t worth all the nothing plays and the stunting of MS’s growth. 2 yrs later we’re more right than ever as we face NE — but have a great Thanksgiving anyway!

10. By ron alexander on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

SPICER, No sweat Dude, I love the feistiness you show here!Dont change! I completely understand where you are going with this & I agree we should play a 4-3 base defence. I also think if Mo Wilk lost even 15 lbs he could be a force outside.He’s very strong & a tough guy. If Coples is able to turn it up a notch or two he & Mo could be forces for a long time. I like Pouha, Harrison & Devito inside so if we can find another D.E. as a free agent this offseason we could be set for a while. HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!

11. By Mike Jet Vet on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Charlie Jet.Really?, where did all this optimism come from, one win in a row at LA, gives you that much hope, I would laugh but they’re so predictable it’s sad, You have a better chance at hitting power ball than Jets winning out, Take that to the bank, Sorry man, again I hate being so negative it just comes with being a Jet fan .. this is why I’ll be taping the game this way I can digest my meal, before I ruin yet another holiday over these Jets, They won last week 2 in a row is way to much to expect from, Mike-T and Company… Happy Thanks giving everyone

12. By harry-o on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

the jets beat the Pats one out ten games
    perhaps tomorrow will be the one time in the next ten games
    GO JETS !!!

13. By GaryC on Nov 22, 2012 | Reply

Forget Curry,he was the Seahawks answer to Gholston, a high pick who never became what he should of been.As for guys like Talib,how many headaches can you actually have on a team,haven’t fans figured it out that these guys are only happy on winners,and will cause mucho problems if not winning.

14. By GaryC on Nov 22, 2012 | Reply

PLAYOFFS,PLAYOFFS,call me a day before Christmas to see where we are,if in playoff contention then that WILL BE AN ADDED GIFT.

15. By SCfromNY on Nov 22, 2012 | Reply

CharieJet: Nice to see someone else talking about taking the division even if it is highly unlikly. Playing for second place (wildcard) is a losers plan. Figuring out how many losses we can afford instead of winning out is negative. Hoping that other teams lose more than us is a losing strategy. It is the coaches and team leaders job to foster a winning attitude even when it is unlikely.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone.

16. By sal cottone on Nov 22, 2012 | Reply

I wouldnt spoil my kids Thanksgiving watching this team.