• Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 12:15 PM - 12:45 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Jets Insider Eric Allen will report from Training Camp practice with guests Willie Colon and Rex Ryan
  • Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 1:15 PM - 1:45 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will adress the media following Training Camp practice
  • Sun., Aug. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Wed., Aug. 06, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Thu., Aug. 07, 2014 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Sun., Aug. 10, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 11, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 13, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., Aug. 16, 2014 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Ryan QB Call Decision to Come Later This Week

Posted by Randy Lange on December 3, 2012 – 4:37 pm

Rex Ryan, emulating the late, great Orson Welles, will name no quarterback before its time. And today wasn’t the time for the Jets head coach to designate his starter for Jacksonville on Sunday.

“I’ll definitely need a little more time to make that decision,” Ryan said one day after Greg McElroy replaced Mark Sanchez, with Tim Tebow sidelined, and rescued the Jets’ 7-6 win over Arizona with a touchdown drive and a clock-draining final drive to the Cardinals’ 1-yard line. “I’m comfortable and confident with all three quarterbacks. I think all three guys now have proven they can win — Greg at the end of the game, Mark’s history here, and the way Tim has played.

“We have three guys I’m confident in and I’ll make that decision as the week goes on.”

So does that mean any of the three QBs on the Jets’ roster has a chance to start against the Jaguars? We’ll leave that odds box for sports editors with time on their hands to pitch to their beatwriters for tomorrow’s sports sections. But it may a measure of the decision ahead for Ryan that there are pros and cons for him to name any one of the three as his fire-starter for the Jags.

To help him in formulating his call this week, Ryan said he might turn to his confidantes in the coaching fraternity for some guidance, but more than likely it will be a decision formulated solely behind the walls of the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

“I want to make sure I talk to Tony [Sparano], Matt [Cavanaugh] and everybody, make sure I get a sense of what will be the right decision,” he said. “I think I’ll just lean on the guys in here. Again, the decision will be made based on our situation and our football team, on what ultimately I feel will give us the best opportunity to win.”

The opportunity to win means Jacksonville, of course, but also Tennessee, San Diego and Buffalo after the Jags, and conceivably there are considerations for even beyond this season.

“A lot of things go into every decision you make,” Ryan said. “There are three priorities — the team, the team and the team. If you follow that, the decision’s always easier. You’ve got to take away personal feelings outside of it because it’s bigger than just me or this person or that person.”

“Never Let ‘Em See You Sweat”

However it shakes out, McElroy made a statement in his first pro action. Not every Jets QB guides his offense to a touchdown in his first full drive in green and white. Vinny Testaverde did in Game 3 of the 1998 season against then-rookie Peyton Manning and the Colts. Chad Pennington did, too, if you count the last drive of the blowout Sunday night loss at Oakland in 2000. But Sanchez didn’t, nor did Ken O’Brien, nor did Richard Todd, nor did Joe Namath.

It’s not an achievement you put high up on the NFL résumé. On the other hand, it was a TD drive that the Jets needed quickly, and in more ways than one, and McElroy helped deliver.

Then the Jets’ final drive secured the victory as it melted the final 7:55 off the clock. That was the fourth-longest game-ending drive by time since 1990, trailing Kellen Clemens’ monster 11:09 final drive in the rout of St, Louis in 2008, O’Brien’s 9:13 march at Indianapolis in 1991, and Neil O’Donnell’s 8:47 closer in the wind-aided shutout of Tampa Bay in 1997. Fifth on the list was then-rookie Sanchez’s 7:20 deal-sealer in his and Ryan’s first game with the Jets at Houston in ’09. None of those games was as close as this one was.

McElroy explained his rising to the moment on a conference call with reporters this afternoon.

“That thing, confident bordering on cocky, I would like to think its leaning a little bit more towards confident,” he chuckled. “But yeah, basically one thing that I’ve always tried to learn, one thing I’ve always tried to approach this game with, is you just never let them see you sweat. And that includes the players in your huddle, the players in the opposite huddle, the players on the opposite sideline, on your sideline. Regardless of the situation, always stay with an even keel, always have a positive mindset, and good things will happen. And that’s been the case up to this point.”

Tebow also spoke with reporters on this “Victory Monday” and said he’s “not sure” how close he is to playing. “I feel like I’m healing up and getting there,” he said. He shrugged off all the questions about if he could have played Sunday, if he’ll start this weekend — in his hometown of Jacksonville, no less — and the unfairness and controversy of it all.

“Obviously, Jacksonville is where I grew up and it will always be a special place for me. It doesn’t matter how many family members or friends are going to be there. You just have to look at it as another game,” he said, adding of his opportunities this season: “I’m thankful for every one I am given. I think you just try and handle every situation the best you can and I’ve tried to handle every situation this year the best way I know how and make the most of every situation.”

Odds and Ends

The Jets defense against Arizona set, well, if not an NFL record at least a milestone for other big, bad defenses to try and pass as they ride roughshod over struggling offenses. The Elias Sports Bureau revealed that by blanking the Cardinals on 15 third-down conversion attempts, the Jets posted the first 0-for-15 in the NFL since the 1970 merger. The previous oh-fir mark was 0-for-14, set by Denver against San Diego in 1975 and equaled by the Jets at Tampa in 2009.

The Jets achieved a rarity by getting Sunday’s win despite a minus-3 turnover margin. The last time they won with a minus-3 was Game 7 in 2008, the 28-24 comeback win over Kansas City with Brett Favre at the controls. The Jets all-time are 5-56-3 when they have three more turnovers in a game, 5-105-4 when they have three or more TOs.

Sanchez’s interception on the Jets’ first play from scrimmage was not his first time. He also threw a pick on the opening play vs. Jacksonville in Game 9 of 2009. Interestingly, he’s at least in good company. Vinny Testaverde threw interceptions on the Jets’ first plays in back-to-back games in 1998, against Buffalo in Game 9 (win) and at Indy in Game 10 (loss).

Ryan said of the two injured offensive players that TE Dustin Keller’s ankle injury “doesn’t look like a high ankle sprain” but that he “has some swelling,” and that RB-KR Joe McKnight has a rib injury but that tests “were negative as far as broken ribs or anything.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

175 Responses to “Ryan QB Call Decision to Come Later This Week”

1. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

REX the should be “NO” question who starts against the Jags….

2. By Bennett on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Karan YOU blamed everyone and everything for Sanchezs poor play. No one said Sanchez did that. Peace

3. By Joe on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

3 qb proven they can win REX ARE YOU DELUSIONAL AS NEXT TO ARIZ WE GOT 3 OF THE WORST QBS IN THE NFL .Charlie Batch (PITT 3RD STRINGER )IS 38 and better than anybody WE HAVE If they have PROVEN THEY CAN WIN WHERES ALL THE LOMBARDIS.MCELROY YOUR NEW SAVIOR LASTED UNTILL THE 7TH ROUND BECAUSE HE DOES NOT HAVE AN NFL CALIBER ARM .Rex do you really believe that the fans are DUMB ENOUGH TO GO FOT THIS.

4. By Bennett on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Ryan ( if he is indeed going to make the decision ) has a pretty sticky problem. As I see it the last thing he would want to do is start Sanchez next week. My reasoning? If he starts Sanchez and he plays poorly again what does he do ? Pull the kid again ?. Man that would hurt. If it was me would start McElroy, have Tebow in his role and if G-Mac falters pull him for Sanchez. Then you give Sanchez a chance to redeem himself , regain some status and it wouldn’t hurt McElroy to get benched at this stage of his career. This seems the most logical move which means they will do something the exact opposite.

5. By MIKE on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

More important than the QB situation in NY, I hope Rex has learned that sticking with Mark for the last 2 dismal years did nothing for his coaching future and the good of the franchise. I mean sticking with a guy that clearly never got on the right track hasn’t done anyone any good. The Jets were not lead by Sanchez to 2 straight AFC championship games, they were lead by a power run game and a stout D. I personally love coaches who have the best players play, not the guy were gets paid the most, is a high draft pick or is a proven veteran. Let the best man play, and if its Mark Sanchez than the Jets better start looking for a new QB.

6. By Frank on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Put Sanchez on waivers right now and pray someone takes him and his contract it really is that simple. Start McElroy the rest of the way he looked like the veteran out there. The O played significantly better with him in and he was awesome on 3rd down. There is no doubt they would have scored on the last drive if they needed the points.

7. By Frank on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

I don’t care what the players say but you could immediately sense the players responded to McElroy so there is no doubt the team is tired of Sanchez non-performance. McElroy threaded a beautiful pass to Kerley on a 3rd down back shoulder throw with Peterson all over him. His passes looked a whole lot better than Jamarcus Sanchez.

8. By Karan on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Bennett, I don’t know what your reading but I’ve blamed Sanchez as well. Yea, I’ll admit I don’t blame him as much as I do the organization and the poor line of receivers, but those things are the “everyone or everything” as you referred to. Its certainly not everyone, I never blamed the defense or FB or TE if you want to get into specifics. In fact, I’ll tell you who. I’ve blamed Chaz Schilens, Stephen Hill and any other receiver whos dropped like a ton of passes. Shonn Greene’s play is also bad, he’s inconsistent as is Mark. Did I ever blame Reuland, McKnight, Powell, etc? Who I’ve blamed most of all is Woody Johnson for caring about only selling tickets and using Tebow for that and Mike Tannenbaum for doing a poor job with……

9. By Karan on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

…..supplying the QB with the proper pieces and improving the roster.

10. By Karan on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Rex needs to bench Mark for the next home games. Just read a nypost article of the heckling, some people are just too much, its disgusting and irritating and I wouldn’t want to be in that situation, thousands against one. He should start on the road though, at least it won’t be as bad. I hate to say it, but the pressures definetly gotten to Mark, and its not because of Tebow.

11. By GaryC on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Rex is hanging around Woody to long,he has a Romney complex,waffling on wheter to play McElroy or not.

12. By GaryC on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Hey Rex,let McElroy get his feet wet against one of the weaker teams in the league,your not making the playoffs anyway.Landry sat Staubach for Morton,and Sanchez is not Staubach.

13. By Mike V on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

There is no question who should start Sunday – McElroy. We have seen enough of Sanchez, his confidence is shot (he reminds me of David Carr at the end of his run in Houston) and the fans HATE him. There is no reason to watch him get verbally pummeled every time he plays at home. The only reason to consider playing Tebow (if he can play at all) is to try to pawn him off in a trade to Jags (win or lose they need him to sell seats). McElroy reminds me of Matt Robinson (except he is not a head case) in that he will beat the teams he should beat because he won’t make stupid mistakes and he will take what the D gives him. We could definitely run the table with #14 and get to 9-7 and see what happens from there. Maybe playoffs, who knows?

14. By Jack on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Ryan better start McElroy next week we have not choice but to start McElroy next week and pretty much the rest of the season. Whether you like McElroy or not Sanchez no better don’t even go there about Tebow. I like McElroy he have a better arm then Sanchez whether you think not. But we shall find out next week. Jets have too see what McElroy can do in this league. There no doubt that the Jets will need to get a back up QB, going into next season from F/A or to trade for one. Jets might want think about trading Sanchez to see what they can get for him they should get a 2nd rd for him there no way they can get 1st Rd for Sanchez.

15. By harry-o on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

there is no QB controversy
    Rex will go back to his stubborn old ways
    but he will bench MS again in order to win the game
    perhaps Gmac gets promoted to #2

16. By Stevescs on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Joe, point taken regarding McElroy’s arm. But, it does not mean he cannot be successful as and NFL qb. Accuracy is way more important than having a cannon of an arm. What good is it if you can’t hit the target? All the experts were saying the same thing when Joe Montana came out of Notre Dame. His arm wasn’t the strongest, but his accuracy was terrific. Just because McElroy wasn’t drafted until the 7th round doesn’t mean squat. Look at all the first round qb’s that haven’t made it in this league, the list is long. And I hate to say it, but you don’t have to look to far to prove my point.

17. By RyanO on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Given that the year is pretty much over, there is really no reason not to start McElroy through to the end just to see what you’ve got. Then you have some basis for making a decision regarding the QB position in the offseason. Personally, I’d prefer to see Tebow, but we know that isn’t going to happen. Might as well enjoy the NYJETS ride the rest of the way because that’s what this has turned into. A living, breathing, terrifying, rickety old rollercoaster. The offseason will be gem once again.

Lets just hope the ownership doesn’t get fooled into letting Tannenbaum return. He’s directly responsible for the fiasco at QB that will have essentially ruined 3 careers.

18. By chris long time jet fan on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

yes we have 2 good quarterbacks and 1 we know is terrible,mac came in with no reps with the first unit and scored and should of had another 7 .rex had them not score so mark would not look as bad as he is.. mac also managed the clock and controled the game somewthing we havenot seen mark do .

19. By chris long time jet fan on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

mac is a no brainer but we see if rex is a real head coach.

20. By scjoe on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Ron, from a previous story, I have to disagree (strongly disagree) with your assessment that Tanny gives in to Rex when it comes to the draft. We heard the WJ interview proclaiming that Tbum has “final say” on ALL personnel decisions. We heard Rex’s comments about Stephen Hill and Coples. You can interpret Rex’s ridicules explanation on those two comments as just trying to say what is politically correct, but I am a big believer that where there is smoke, there is fire. He “may” listen to some of Ryan’s requests in the latter rounds (John Conner?) but definitely not in the top of the draft. The man has to much of an ego problem to do that. and WHY the ego? I have no idea! Not with his track record.

21. By scjoe on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Joe, I agree that McElroy does not have the rocket arm, but give me all of the other intangibles that he possesses that Sanchez does not any day. Things like accuracy, pocket presence, decision making, situational awareness, maturity, leadership, etc. Those things can win for you in this league short term. More then likely McElroy’s tenure will be short term. Then again, who knows for sure, not unless he is given the opportunity on a consistent basis for a reasonable amount of time.

22. By scjoe on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Randy, can you post the single game QB ratings for all three QBs on Sunday?

23. By Randy Lange on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, you’re referring to the three QBs who played in the Jets-Cards game? Mark Sanchez’s passer rating was 21.4, Greg McElroy’s was 118.5 and Ryan Lindley’s was 28.0.

24. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Vindicated Slightly on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Joe, I have no great faith in Rex at pts like this, the better path woulda been to fire him after the NE game and resolve the QB issue under a new GM and HC. But a scared-for-his-job Rex Ryan is much preferable to a delusional-about-Mark Rex, so these are all good steps forward. Along these lines, ron a, there is no way Sanchez will come off the bench, play a great game, and win back either the fans or the Jet team, his failings are indelibly clear. And Ira, I’ll bet you right now that once he leaves the Jets he never starts again, as Arte has said (in his more grounded moments), he’s a college QB and a career backup. It’s painfully obvious that he doesn’t have the on-the-field presence and leadership skills to be a winner in the NFL.

25. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Vindicated Slightly on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

And joe, need I remind you that Brady lasted until the 6TH round? Karan, I’ve said from the start Sanchez has been a class act before the cameras after the games, that’s one thing we definitely got in drafting a USC QB. But the pretzel-like contortions that people engaged in on this site to excuse his horrible play was like nothing I’ve ever seen on the Jets, Namath took far more abuse for playing much better. We actually had several people here arguing that everything but Sanchez had to be perfect on this team for him even to be acceptable! This was obviously coming from a very weird place where only losers dwell and we can only be thankful that such talk is finally history. Rex enabled it, of course, but he can’t afford to do that now.

26. By Bitter Blinka on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Joe:
    I wrote this earlier and I believe it’s true.
    The writers don’t know anything more than we do, the same with the big mouths on the radio. At this point I stopped reading the papers. I listen to all the press conferences and interviews and form my own opinions. At this point I know two things:

1. Mark Sanchez is real bad
    2. Rex Ryan is real positive.

27. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Vindicated Slightly on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Say what you want about McElroy but here’s a quote from him that Sanchez could not only never utter but never dream of living up to on the field: “I would like to think it’s leaning a little bit more towards confident,” McElroy said. “But, yeah, one thing I’ve always tried to approach this game with is, you just never let them see you sweat. And that includes the players in your huddle, the players in the opposite huddle, the players on the opposite sideline, on your sideline. Never let them see you sweat.” That, my friends, is the voice of cool, calm, and confidence. Now let’s see how well he backs it up given the chance.

28. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Vindicated Slightly on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Karan, just for you: This question of Jet fans who allegedly “despise” Sanchez is a lot like what President Obama said when asked why so many voters in Texas “hate” him: “They don’t hate me, they hate this funhouse image of me that they’ve been shown.” That’s not to say I don’t have my issues with both Sanchez and Obama, but he’s right, a sense of unrealistic exaggeration sets in that starts to trump all reason and logic. I think Sanchez is a great kid, a hard worker, and a class act. What he’s not as of now is an elite QB, which is what we were told the #5 pick would get us. And what’s more, he’s currently barely showing the skill set of a career backup so big changes, like I’ve called for now for over a yr, must come and they start at QB.

29. By Howie D on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Dear Rex:

Please tell me you’re kidding when you said you need to consult with Sparano & Cav about the JAX starter. I know you consider them masterminds, but you cannot be serious. Wake up Rex! McElroy is the only QB on this team that can save your job. End the love affair you have with MS and face reality, it’s in your best interest to do so.

30. By Howie D on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

If Rex is returned as HC, he should use the offseason to get some offensive lessons. His lack of knowledge in this area is one of the main reasons we’ve been struggling on offense.

31. By Arte Olde School Section 327 on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

1) If it wasn’t for Kerry Rhodes showing up Rex by intercepting Sachez’ INT’s,
    2) If it wasn’t for McElroy, the Jets lose 6 maybe 9-0.
    3) If it wasn’t for McElroy, Rex loses his job
    4) If it wasn’t for Tebow being hurt McElroy never sees light of day!

5) McElroy does EVERYTHING YOU WANT IN A STARTING NFL QB
    a) he completes hi percentage passes and throws the ball away if there’s nothing there
    b) he has GREAT peripheral vision seeeing the whole field
    c) his handoffs and passes allow his teammates to have greater success
    d) He makes EVERYONE AROUND HIM BETTER
    which brings me to :
    7) Watch Rex NOT SEE this reality & start Sanchez again! Definition of insanity!!
    Please God hear me! Woody?? Hello?? Call me!! I have your answer!

32. By True Jet Fan since 85' on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

McElroy deserves the chance to finish the season. Sanchez hasn’t proved that he can be responsible with the ball. Tebow is beat up and can’t operate the “run and gun” offense effectively with bruised ribs. Maybe I drank the Kool-Aid but, if we have a game manager that can effectively manage the game by not turning the ball over- we have one heck of a chance to finish the season respectively.

33. By IRA on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Randy’s #’s show that when you lose the turnover battle you are not expected to win especially those amounts. That 98 game in Indy i still can see Pollard draging V Green into the endzone for the winning score.
    Randy wasn’t that the game that Glenn returned the missed FG for a TD?

34. By Randy Lange on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Ira, correct, Aaron Glenn returned Mike Vanderjagt’s short 63-yard FG attempt a then-NFL-record 104 yards for the TD to give the Jets a 23-10 halftime lead. But the Jets didn’t score in the second half and Peyton Manning directed the first fourth-quarter comeback of his career for the 24-23 win.

35. By IRA on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

That Chad led drive in Oak in 2000 that Randy mentioned was a famous one because it led to Chad’s first TD pass to none other then Chrebet. Man those teams from 98 thru 04 was so good. Best talent this franchise had proably ever had.

36. By SCfromNY on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Saying that the reason McElroy didn’t go until the 7th round is great. After all your draft position is all that matters. How about Brady in the 6th, Montana in the 3rd, 3 QBs taken before Marino, Ryan Leaf was the 2nd overall pick, Vince young was an early pick, and all that means NOTHING. Winning is an attitude that can pick a team up, make those 4th quarter comebacks, and carry a team when needed.Can McElroy be a top QB in the NFL? I don’t know and neither does anyone else at this point. Sanchez can win but he is not a WINNER. Tebow has won but if you have to tailor your offense to a non NFL slyle to make a QB a winner you put your team in a bad situation if that QB goes down. More importantly teams beat you the 2nd time around.

37. By Chicago Bob on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

The season has reached the point where there is no reason to go with Sanchez. He has had his opportunities this year and with the exception of a few bright spots, has been substandard – his mistakes in the red zone are staggering. Let McElroy finish the season and see if he has what it takes to (at worst case) be a capable backup. As I have said before, I would hate to see this kid leave and get picked up by another team and wind up with a solid NFL career. Let’s be realistic this is not a playoff team no matter how much management spins it, time to see what you have in the younger players, not just at QB, but other positions as well so you know exactly what you need next April when the draft comes.

38. By Karan on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Gotta love Braylon Edwards recent statement on the Jets!

39. By GaryC on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

I guess we need to cut Rex some slack,his defensive wizardry prevents him from even knowing what quarterback to select.

40. By bill on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Well Sanchez is a mess, but I’ll never place the entire blame on him. He will probably succeed somewhere else, but the NY Jets seems to be a place where QB’s go to fail.

The team is almost completely lacking in skill players and over time I think it’s eroded Sanchez’s confidence to the point where he’s now playing to the level of those around him. He’s been terrible for sure, but the team around him is a complete mess too. How many TD passes has Hill dropped? Perfectly thrown td passes I might add.

I think it’s best to bench Sanchez and play MacElroy for no other reason other than to find out what the kid has so we know what to do in the next draft. Hopefully we can eat Sanchez’s gaurateed money and trade him to someone for a 4th or 5th.

41. By Allan O'Dane on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

I looked at some of G-Mac’s games in Bama. Who said he has a weak arm? This kid was throwing 50yd bombs on the money several times. I am not talking about making a WR reach out and dive for it either. These were over the shoulder drop in the basket types of throws. Now, I am not saying he is the second coming of Tom Brady but even superTom had a subpar arm in college. G-Mac is a smart QB let him throw the 15-20 yard passes hopefully the run game gets going and we can watch him play action all day long.

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Vindicated Slightly on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Arte, that’s a brilliant analysis of the situation but I think even Rex will see that there’s no percentage in starting Sanchez for the rest of the yr. The fans hate him, the O doesn’t want to play for him, and the media loves to trash him. If MS starts, I doubt it has anything to do with Rex and something to do with Woody and Mr T, though I don’t know why they’d want to stick with him either. The waiver idea for MS is excellent, the only reason anyone’s talking about him is his contract. Ira, I think what you mean is the Jet teams from ’98-2004 were “so good” only for a franchise this weak, they didn’t win anything big. It’s that attitude — that losing the AFC championship disappointingly is “so good” — that must change around here.

43. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Vindicated Slightly on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Karan, Randy doesn’t take kindly to words like “idiots” but Edwards used it, so I’m going to use it — about him. He’s the one who asked for way too much money, then got in a bar fight. He’s the one who, way before Holmes, started trashing his teammates in the press (about 4 games after he got here in 2009). And he’s the one who’s never going to have a big career in this league again, largely due to his own attitude and adjustment problems. Aside from all that, anyone can see that Sanchez has utterly lost confidence and this team needs a QB who can stand up to the owners, the press, and everybody else, not one who need constant coddling merely to be adequate. No surprise that Edwards, who’s been coddled by the courts, doesn’t get that.

44. By Gregory Beaumont on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

I think McElroy or Tebow should be given a fair chance to see what they can do.
    We already seen enough of what Sanchez can not do. If Tebow is healthy enough to play, have him back up McElroy or visa versa. WAKE UP REX. This gives us the best chance to win. Stop apoligizing and kissing Sanchez every week. I am tired of our team being the biggest joke in the NFL. Last week Sanchez had 3 interceptions, and by rights should have had 5 except that he got lucky and the defense dropped them. Please sit him down for the rest of the season.

45. By ron alexander on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, you can disagree all you want and as always I respect your opinion. My statement is based on several pieces of info I have come across. I get the “Jets Confidential’ and one of the writers mentioned Rex’s influence when discussing several membres of the Jets ftont office and scouting departmkent leaving. As I have mentioned before I have a good friend in the Giants front office who confirmed this is one of the worst kept secrets regarding this team. Hey, if you want to believe Rex,Tanney or Woodie thats cool.Please keep in mind I have no agenda in regards to keeping my job over this issue. I think you have read enough of my posts to know that I know what I’m talking about.(at least I hope so?) Peace borther!

46. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Vindicated Slightly on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

The other thing that works against Rex ever starting Sanchez again is that his main argument for him — “Mark’s the future, him and I are going to be here for the next 10 years” — has been completely taken off the table. Post-butt fumble, such talk would only inspire endless wisecracks throughout the sports media.

47. By ron alexander on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

JOE & S.C.Joe O.k, its time to pay the piper! The three of us went back & forth quite a bit during the offseason concerning the importance of having a “Franchise or “elite” Q.B’! My feeling at the time(partially because I had no choice as we had just re sighned Mark )was that a team could win with a good Q.B and a strong supporting caste! Well I gotta give you guys props because I have been proven wrong! Its not so much the dismal play of Sanchez so much as the amazing performances of guys like Kaepernick(last game not included) and of course Andrew Luck & R.G 3. These guys have shown so much more in their 1st years starting than guys like Sanchez coud ever dream of. Again, good job guys!

48. By scjoe on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Just heard this on Sirius NFL radio…”Jets owner Woody Johnson wants to see Greg McElroy starting this week against the Jacksonville Jags” To me, that should be considered a “good news bad news situation” the good news is obvious, the bad news is that an owner hires football people to run his organization, let them do that while you stay home and count your money! Of course in this situation, those “football people” that he hired cast a little doubt as whether or not they can make the right decisions.

49. By robertpapalia on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

This is clearly a organization that does not know what it is doing. From Woody to the gm to the entire coaching staff. Either Woody turns over the team to real football people who know what they are doing, or the end result will be an organization trying to find its way out of the football wilderness. And that means years of football futility. A truly frightnening prospect if your are a Jets fan.

50. By Howie D on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Bennett:

I disagree with you on pulling McElroy, if he falters. McElroy should play the rest of the season – do or die. Even the great ones had bad games and bad first seasons. The end result in the few games left is not necessarily relevant at this point. What you’re looking for now is a pattern, potential. We need to see the kid in different situations to decide if he’s our guy. If Sparano is smart he’d call a variety of different plays, open up the playbook and see if the kid’s got it. Now is the time to do that, not in the offseason.

51. By Alex G on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Edwards keep in mind has very sour grapes about the Jets not resigning him, hence the his earlier statement. For crying out load the guy is stuck playing for the Cards, of course he’s mad. bottom line here is Sanchez is done the wheels fell off that bus last season. time to leave that bus on the side of the road. play Mc Elroy the rest of the season and see where it goes. as for Sanchez and next season the Jets have there hands full with that mess. Sanchez is no way, shape or form a franchise QB. If they play him Sunday it will kill the little moral the jets have, and should he play and crash it will make Rex look real bad, ” he was quoted as the guy who will play the best guy that gives them the best chance to win”

52. By Another Tom on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Start G Mac…MS has had many (too many)opportunities to save his job this season alone..He had to know that vs Arizona..at home..with G Mac in the bull pen..that his job was definately on the line. and look how he responded ! I honestly hope that he is not on our roster next season and I really dont care if he becomes an all-pro elsewhere. This is not the team/city for him.

53. By Tom Spicer on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

The Jets said all year that Tebow was the #2 QB if he is healthy & they do not start him this week if he is healthy then you know 2 things. 1 he was never really the #2 QB & 2 That he 100% was traded like everyone has said for PSL’S, tickets sales, jersey sales & to steal the back page from the Giants. I guess we will see if the Jets start him this week or not?

54. By scjoe on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

LOL.. You have to love Braylon Edwards ridicules remark. “Mark Sanchez can be a beast IF GIVEN THE CHANCE!!!!” Mr Edwards, don’t you believe that FOUR (4) years as the starting QB of the New York Jets equates to “giving him a chance?” Are you kidding me?

55. By Tom Spicer on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

The Jets NEVER really gave Mark a chance to do well he has had a bad team around him since 2010. Like Joe Benigno & Mike Greenberg said they set this kid up to fail who trades for Tim Tebow to be there “WILDCAT” QB while ignoring RT, WR & RB. We talked about it over & over all off season. What person really thought the Jets had enough weapons on O? I’m not sure what the Jets expect from Sanchez. The guys has no help whatsoever. Who is his #1 WR Kerley? Who is his #2 WR Schilenes? Who is his #3 WR Hill? There are college teams with better WR cores! Do any of you not think Greene is the bottom of the barrell when it comes to NFL RB’S? I’m not sure what Jets fans expect from Sanchez. The guys has no help whatsoever. He has no deep threat,

56. By Tom Spicer on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

no decent route runner, no running game, nothing. He can’t throw it to himself. Do I think he should be benched 100% yes. Do I think McElroy should start the rest of the year yes. Do I think McElory is the long term QB of the future NO. He is small, has a weak arm at best he is a poor mans Chad Pennington. McElroy will still have no running game & no weapons in the passing game just like Mark did THE PROBLEMS ARE STILL THERE!

57. By SCfromNY on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Chris long time Jet fan: You said exactly what I was going to post. If Rex let Greene score it would have been 14-6 with McElroy guiding the Jets to 14 pts instead of 3 INTs and no pts from Sanchez. We need to see if McElroy is the answer or just the fans, myself included, desperate for any option other than Tebow. McElroy has ALWAYS been a winning QB. Consider that in reality he is a rookie who shows a calmness, demeaner, and professionalism on the field that has been missing for years. “TIME” for both Sanchez and McElroy. Mac needs time to see what he can really do & develop considering all the rookie QB successes. Sanchez needs time on another team. His fragile personality needs a change. We might get something from Cards, Chiefs or Jax

58. By TIM on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

The Jets as an ORGANIZATION, have been TERRIBLE at evaluating (TALENT) for OVER 40 years!!!! They by pass drafting (DAN MARINO)!

They pick SANCHEZ when SANCHEZ only has (1) YEAR of COLLEGE experience at USC! And his coach PETE CAROL, said he was NOT ready!!!

Name me (1) QB that became (GREAT) when he left college after 1 YEARS in college!

59. By Tom Spicer on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Some of you guys are beyond killing me so from 1 1/2 quarters of football you know that McElroy has “accuracy, pocket presence, decision making, situational awareness, maturity & leadership? Really! Some of you guys already have this kid in canton. Lets slow down a bit really he threw for 29 yards! Also in 7 throws he had 1 pick which only got called back because of a penalty on the D. 1 pick in 7 attempts is not good. The Jets need to get serious about O they need to spend there entire off season on fixing the O free agency (if they do anything in it) & the draft.

60. By Tom Spicer on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

The Jets need to take either Matt Barkely USC, Landry Jones Oklahoma or Geno Smith West Virginia who ever they feel is the best of whoever is left when they pick. See how McElroy does for the rest of the year & if he does not fall flat on his face battle that guy for the starting spot for next year. The 2nd round pick should be spent on a RB to compete with Greene. We will get Holmes back next year so we can get by with #1 Holmes, #2 Kelrley & #3 Hill with Keller as the TE. But QB & RB HAVE TO BE ADDRESSED!

61. By Tom Spicer on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Rex you claim to be the best D coach in all of football well if so this is what I want to see you will get Revis back next year your best player by far. I want to see the emtire off season spent on fixing the O. It is YOUR job to make the D work with what youve got. The O has been completly been IGNORED since the 2010 off season. MR.T will NEVER admit he got it wrong with Hill so they will do nothing at WR. The best we will get is #1 Holmes, #2 Kelrley & #3 Hill with Keller as the TE. But QB & RB SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE!

62. By Tom Spicer on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

As per Rotoworld Woody wants McElroy to start. It also says MR.T wants Sanchez to start (he is looking to save his butt). I guess we will see what happens soon?

63. By mikey c on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

I somewhat agree with with giving McElroy a shot, but you have to consider this it isn’t all sanchez’s fault. Look at his options kerley, hill, gates, cumberland,and keller. At one point he didnt even have keller or hill imagine if sanchez had great receivers like brady has. Brady has Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Lloyd, and Edelman or roethlisberger’s options Wallace,Brown, Sanders, and Miller. Sanchez showed he has potential especially in the playoffs when he had Edwards, Holmes, Keller and Cotchery and those arent even nearly as good as brady or rothlisberger or some other quarterbacks options. Just when Sanchez was about to mature in this league and gel with is receivers the Jets get rid of everything he had and completely downgraded.

64. By bestjets on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

you have to be kidding me, mcelroy looked like j unitas next to sanchez i mean they are just playing with jacksonvilles coaches and trying to get a slight edge right because if anything . . for the sake of sanchez sanity if nothing else . . .the last couple of games he has played like the 2nd coming of rick mirer the dark hole of parcells coaching career

65. By GaryC on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

I believe Rex belongs in Washington,sitting between Boehner and Obama,he is making this decision to select a quarterback like it is as important as the jets falling off the cliff like the economy might.

66. By GaryC on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

now I know why Rex cannot tell Scott it is the end of the line for him.

67. By tt on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Mcelroy should be the starter… He did nothing to say he shouldnt against the Cards. He wasnt spectacular but the Cards have good D(but nothing else). Plus 2 of 4 drives successful is 50% compared to 0% for sanchez through 3 quarters. Sanchez your days of excuses are over… No more saying he’s young even though younger QB’s are lighting it up and he isnt. Plus everyone gets balls dropped just ask Eli. As for Tebow, If it was good to have a rb and a QB everyone would be doing it. But its not 1970 anymore.. The rules HEAVILY favor the passing game.. Also with the D coming out earlier in the year trashing him means the locker room isnt behind him and teammates wont play up for him.

68. By robertpapalia on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Quarterbacks that are good are good no matter who they have around them in personel. Top qbs are the ones that lift up everybody`s game no matter what they have to work with. It now has become evident that Mark Sanchez is not one of those qbs that can lift up his fellow teammates game. The Jets now have to go in a new direction. Hopefully McElroy is that new direction. We shall see as we go forward.

69. By davetharave on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Go back 35-40 years, if a QB got benched and the replacement guy came in and ended up winning the game, he starts next week. That’s old school and that’s how it’s gotta be. If this was the end of the Sanchez era (because McElroy plays really well from here on out) then all you can say is hooray for McElroy and hey mark, please hold this clipboard.

70. By Another Tom on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

To fix this M-E-S-S going forward and beyond this season drastic changes must be made( new ownership? )We probably wont be able to attract free agents with our current regime. The Colts have seemingly turned it around in one year..I sure hope We can too. Obviously we need to start with finding a QB – AGAIN

71. By mikey c on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

alright mcelroy went 5/7 and 26 yards and a touchdown that any person could have thrown … a bootleg with the tight end wide open and noone near him. the point im trying to make is that sanchez has no help you cant win and be successful with no help around you. He has no help what so ever instead of bringing in good receivers and and a good running game they got rid of them and didnt help him at all. what im saying is when te jets a had a great team in 2009 and 2010 they should have kept striving for more to make sanchez elite instead they just completely destroyed themselves getting rid of a lot of talent which leads us to where we are now 5-7 in 2012 wit no running game no passing game and no rush defense. and this is GMs fault.

72. By Joe on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Guys prob 90% of ALL SB WINNERS WERE TAKEN IN EARLY ROUNDS The only think that matters is winning the SB and to do so you need an elite qb WHO CAN MAKE ALL THE THROWS .lAST 10 SB WINNERS BRADY BREES ROGERS ROTHESBURGER MANNINGS .Kindly COMPARE CRIQIQUE MCELROYS ARM STRENGH WITH THEIRS The reason the man lasted 7 round was BECAUSE HE DOESNT HAVE AN NFL CALIBER ARM AND CANT MAKE ALL THE THROWS .(We got another Chad Pennington inturn HOW MANY SUPER BOLS DID PENNINGTON WIN =NONE )

73. By Joe on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Lets compare MCELROY with rookies LUCK and RG 3 (who have ALL THE TOOLS NEEDED )The Jet coaching staff SPOON FED HIM PLAYS TO KEEP HIM OUT OF TROUBLE (WHEEL ROUTES ROOL OUTS ECT )AND THE RESULT WAS 5 COMPLET FOR 29 YARDS .The next game WATCH AND COMPARE THE WAY HE THROWS THE BALL WITH LUCK ,RG-3 AND TELL ME WHO YOU WOULD BANK THE FRANCHISE ON(REMEMBER THESE GUYS ARE TRUE ROOKIES ITS MCELROYS SECIOND YEAR ) .THE ODDS OF A 7TH ROUNDER (with a poor caliber arm )competiting with above in a qb DRIVEN LEAGUE ARE SLIM AND NONE AND SLIM JUST LEFT .IF YOU WANT A SB WE NEED TO DRAFT A FRANCHISE QB WHO CAN MAKE ALL THE THROWS not a 7th round Chad Pennington

74. By chris long time jet fan on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

4 years of mark what we get 67 touchdowns 64 interceptions 39 fumbles in 59 games..2009 his good year he had 10 touchdown and 26 interceptions…..and if there was preseason competiiton mcelroy would have been starting…..easy to see.

75. By Joe on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

PS stick MCELROY in there against the Pittsburgh Steelers IN A GAME WHERE HES BEHIND AND MUST THROW (LIKE THE REDSKINS DID WITH RG-3 )then tell me that IT DOESNT MATTER IF HE HAS AN NFL CALIBER ARM.

76. By Joe on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

ps Ron THANK YOU.Believe me i wish for the team we were not all in this situation.Ron as you posted one player (ANDR LUCK RG-3 )comes in and within a year its a different team

77. By scjoe on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer says “Some of you guys are beyond killing me, so from 1 1/2 quarters of football you know that McElroy has “accuracy, pocket presence, decision making, situational awareness, maturity & leadership? Well Tom speaking just for myself, I would say you are right! We don’t know for sure if the kid has any of those intangibles, or if he will have them long term from just 1 1/2 quarters of football, but what we do know, with out doubt, from almost 4 full seasons of football is that Mark Sanchez absolutely, positively does NOT!

78. By scjoe on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Ron, just for the record, I get JC delivered as well. I am a Leberfeld fan. But I go by what I see, what I hear, what I read, and along with what is in my gut I try to make an informed decision. Now, I am not saying those decisions are always right. Who’s really are? Although they were right re: Mark Sanchez, Stephen Hill, Shonn Greene, Kyle Wilson, the Tebow disaster, just to name a few. But that is why we are all here, to “civilly” debate the issues as the seasons unfold, right?

79. By scjoe on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

mikey c, are you 100% sure that Keller, Kerley, Cumberland, Gates, and even S. Hill wouldn’t be more then adequate if they had Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball to them? How about the rookies, Luck, RG III, Wilson? We are talking about first year players here compared to a 4 year vet.

80. By Joe on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

YES many first rounders fail(its an educated crapshoot ) BUT MANY MANY MANY more 7th rounders fail .If 90% of all sb winning QBS WERE DRAFTED IN ROUNDS ONE AND TWO WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF A 7TH ROUNDER WINNING THE SB .Today more than ever its a qb driven league (NEW RULES ECT )Rothesb 1 Brees 2 P Manning 1 W E Manning 1 Brady 6 Rogers 1 Other than Brady EVERY ONE OF THE LAST 10 SUPER BOWLS WERE WON BY EARLY ROUND PICKS In regards to BRADY being picked a 6th UNLIKE MCELROY ARM STRENGH WASNT AN ISSUE .Brady as we have seen has a cannon OTHER THAN STARR BRADY MONTANA what other sb winning qbs WERE TAKEN IN THE FIRST OR SECOND

81. By Stevesc on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

I cringe when I see all the talk about getting FA’s to help build this team. This is one of the biggest problems the Jets have. This team is a turnstile of FA’s who have for the most part not helped this team one bit. And if they have, the FO has made sure they are gone. It’s ok to plug in a few in key spots, but the team should be built primarily through the draft. The win now philosophy is what has made this team what it is. If they started building this team with more draft picks and less FA’s when Rex took over, we might be seeing a different product on the field today. Of course you have to have a GM who knows talent, and good scouting as well, so maybe this is a moot point.

82. By Joe on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

I just googled it Starr 16 Montana 3 Hostleter 3 Brady 6 Rypen 6 ARE THE ONLY SB WINNING QB NOT DRAFTED IN THE FIRST 2 ROUNDS .5 GUYS TOTAL ALL THE REST WERE 1S AND 2S

83. By Bennett on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Can you imagine next home game…. opening series…. McElroy throws a 50 yard bomb for a TD. HELP ME BAAAAABY DON’T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT. I don’t think Sporano thinks like that but man he should, fans need somethin like that after this season

84. By harry-o on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

should Gmac start on sunday
    is tebow still # 2
    and MS now #3 ?
    that would be awesome .

85. By bill on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

The other thing I wanted to mention was the players’ energy level when Gmac came in was clearly higher than when MS was playing. So the players clearly favor Gmac. They were hitting harder and running harder on both sides of the ball. Heck even the receivers were catching the ball, which for the Jets is pretty amazing. I didn’t know they could catch.

Regarding the drafts, yes I’ve been screaming for years about how TannyRex have ingnored the offense, and well here we are. I do feel very bad for Mark because he got zero support from the fo in regards to getting skill players around him. If TannyRex both are still with the Jets next season (doubtful they are both still here) I hope they learned their lesson and draft offense skill 1 2 and 3!

86. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Vindicated Slightly on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Spicer and Mikey, the problem is you’re showing no feel for QB play. Sanchez could have Fitzgerald, V Jackson, and Megatron and he’d still overthrow, underthrow, panic, fail to read D’s, fail to see open men, fail to see blitzes, fail to see the guy coming over the middle to intercept, fail to see where the safetys are. No one’s saying McElroy will necessarily ever develop into anything but everyone who knows anything about the QB position — including the Jets’ O — can see that he plays the position with much more calm, poise, and vision of the field that Sanchez has shown in his best games. With absolutely nothing to lose in these 4 games, we should see what he’s got.

87. By MIKE on Dec 4, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, Jets taking Barkley is like drafting Sanchez all over again. Everything depends on the next four weeks. If Mac gets a shot and shows he can play than I can’t see Jets taking a QB in the 1st or 2nd round next year. If Rex goes with Sanchez, and he plays well enough sad to say but I doubt you see Mac play for a while. Tebow isn’t even part of the equation. I am no football expert like the Jets front office clearly have know faith in Tebows play for whatever reason and bringing him in was clearly a bad PR move.

Best case, Mac plays well and Sanchez too expensive to cut or trade will play 2nd string. Jets take a 3rd round pick on a smart athletic QB and see what he can do.

88. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Well, Edwards’ bravado sure didn’t last long. We already have Scott for saying stupid things and then taking them back a few hours later, so we sure don’t need Edwards for that. scjoe, that’s a very intriguing comment about the “good news/bad news” thing. But while I cringe at the idea of an owner telling the HC and staff who to play — unless maybe if the owner is Curtis Martin — I suppose I’d surprise you if I said whatever comes out of this is better than the status quo that held sway before the Butt-Fumble Bowl. Now it’s finally openly acknowledged by all that Sanchez may not be the answer — something many of us said about 3 games into last yr — and Rex is no longer calling Mark elite, so there’s finally hope for the future.

89. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, I’ll answer you on the Hill/Schilens thing here: Putting it simply, Hill may not pan out but Schilens had already not panned out by the time we got him. Hill may not be starter material but Schilens proved he’s not starter material on OAK, and he had plenty of chances there what with Heyward-Bey’s very slow start. Hill may be injury-prone, like he’s been this yr, but Schilens has already been injury-prone, for his entire career. So what I meant by “overly optimistic” was your curious belief that it’s worth investing seriously in a guy who’s already proved he’s not very NFL-worthy instead of in a high draft pick who’s got the usual 3 yrs, in my book, to show whether he is or not.

90. By marcus c boyce on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

WITH ALL SAID AND DONE SHONE GREEN COULD GET A THOUSAND YARDS THIS SEASON, MY HAT IS OFF TO HIM FOR ALL YOUR , TRADE, AND CUT, BENCH, PEOPLE OUT THERE!!!!!!!

91. By cgb on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

it’s simple bring in a football GM not some financial lawyer who thinks he know’s the game of football. woody J. please as a succesful business man at some point you must realize that when you dont really know how to fix a problem you have ears to listen to people who would reccomend someone who does know. listen then make the change that is needed.not until we upgrade the offense will we really know what we have in sanchez. start Mcelroy then bring in sanchez if needed. We have severely underminded this team and of the true potential of some maybe good players by being dysfunctional in other area’s.

92. By Tom Spicer on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

The Jets announced the Sanchez is the starter this week. That tells me MR.T, Rex & Sparano will be out of jobs by the end of the year. They are going down with the ship!

93. By SCfromNY on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

The Jets have so many problems to address that I feel it will take 2 years of good FA pickups and draft to be truly competitive. BUT the biggest thing the Jets need to do is “raise the bar” on expectations. Getting a “wildcard” should not be your goal. Praising mediocre players as #1’s, Holmes & Keller, do not take you to a SB. You can not judge a team strickly on SB wins. Peyton won only 1, Marino 0, “Dilfer 1, “johnson 1, and the list goes on. You need a QB with leadership and a coach that raises your game above the competion. Lat year the 49ers were IMO better than the Giants. But hard play, causing fumbles, and not giving up gave them the win. They were not thrilled that they even got to a championsip game.

94. By SCfromNY on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Luck, RG3, Manning, and Rogers make their teams better. Sanchez makes his team worse. It takes away a teams motivation thinking that matter what you do on offense your QB is likely to mess up. No matter how hard the defense plays they know it is likely they will be back on the field after 3 and outs or an INT. You can not train or instil leadership. Your QB has it or doesn’t have it. Sure the players are professional and paid big bucks to play a kids game. However, desire and emotion is huge in sports. Remember the US Hockey team. No one gave them a chance. If you don’t want to play for or don’t trust your QB you will not perform at the highest level. THE JETS NEED TO CHANGE THEIR “LOSING” CULTURE NOW!

95. By Allan O'Dane on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Well Ryan made the call..’Sanchez will be the starter on Sunday”…What is the definition of Insanity? .. And you know the funny thing is Ryan will be fired and we are going to be stuck with Sanchez for another year!….

96. By Tom Spicer on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Mark Sanchez will start Sunday’s game against the Jaguars. The owner wanted Greg McElroy. But coach Rex Ryan, offensive coordinator Tony Sparano and general manager Mike Tannenbaum have an undying love for Sanchez that can’t be broken. Sanchez is guaranteed $8.25 million next season and has the No. 5 overall pick pedigree here. The Jets’ brass is going down with this ship.

97. By Tom Spicer on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

According to the Daily News, Jets coach Rex Ryan “never seriously considered” starting Tim Tebow against the Jaguars Sunday.
    Even though Tebow has been listed as the backup all season, the decision here came down to Mark Sanchez or Greg McElroy. We doubt it has much to do with Tebow’s sore ribs. The Jets have shown no interest in letting Tebow throw the ball or giving him a chance to start since trading for him way back in March. At this point, the trade looks like nothing more than a publicity stunt. Tebow will undoubtedly be pushing for a ticket out of New York once this season wraps

98. By Tom Spicer on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

There is a great article on nyjetscap.com that you should all read its called debating the Mark Sanchez mistake.

99. By Allan O'Dane on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I swear Rex better not say “Mark gives us the best chance to win” in his news conference…

100. By ryan d on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

so now what sanchez starts against the worst team in the league wins the game and Rex claims last week was a fluke? this team is beyond a joke. play greg the rest of the season and see what hes got. we know mark can beat the really bad teams (maybe not even after last week). lets evaluate what we have on this roster and play the young guys cause if we win this weekend and rex starts talking playoffs with sanchez im going to lose my mind

101. By GaryC on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Rex,you actually think these players are putting out for Sanchez after last week’s performance,It is a pipedream thinking they are making playoffs,what are you gaining by starting Sanchez,you know what he can do.Let’s see McElroy,at least against this weaker competition coming up and open up the playbook.We will know soon enough if he has it to continue into next season and if not go back to Sanchez.Sanchez is in a no win situation the rest of this year anyway.Right now to your team your beginning to look like Captain Queeg in the Caine Mutiny.People on this blog know I have been a staunch supporter of Sanchez but maybe the time has come to look in a different direction.I mean really,if Bart Scott still has a starting position,well.

102. By GaryC on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Joe,stop comparing McElroy with Luck and RG3,totally different scenario,they were drafted to save the franchises,many people on this web think the jets would be in playoffs if they had a quarterback who doesn’t turn the ball over,if that is the case McElroy would be your guy,and sorry guys,his arm is stronger then Chad Pennington.When you win in the SEC I don’t want to hear you have talent around you,you also go against the best talent college football has to offer,it works both ways.

103. By Byrdman on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Bleacher Report: Ryan names Sanchez starter in Jacksonville. The consensus here on Radar is McElroy should start. Welcome to the “Jet-Zone” everyone! Remember Rod Serling’s voice in those classic Twillight Zone episodes? “Submitted for your approval: a coach of a losing football team, humbled, confused, looking for answers to the question that has tortured coaches for ages, Who will quarterback this team”? LOL The irony here is if we could take G-Macs brain, Tebows athletic ability and heart and maybe Sanchez’ Arm – put em all together we’d have a real NFL QB – we’d have Andrew Luck !

104. By ron alexander on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, Although we have never personally met I am 100% certian we will always be friends.(sort of brothers in arms) We as well as most of the others that post here are emotionally (and in many cases financially) invested in this team. So yes, its great we can come here and share our views. I myself have changed certian opinions as a result of good dialoge with you and several other posters here. SPICER although a lot of what you say is true ya gotta stop beating a dead horse! What ever confidence M.S once had has been destroyed by the fact that he has failed as the starting Q.B. Yes he was not given a good supporting cast & the media & fans have made his life miserable.But the botton line is he hasn’t done what he was brought here to do.

105. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the Sun on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Cimini’s take: “Sanchez will have a short leash Sunday in Jacksonville — a well-deserved short leash. He has 18 turnovers, including five in the past two games. When he gives the ball away, it demoralizes the offense. If he struggles in the first half, it’ll be McElroy time, probably for good. Sanchez needs a positive start to regain the trust of his teammates.” My take: As is often the case with clueless people, with Rex it has to get worse before it gets better. Anything he does to make himself more ridiculous and thus closer to getting fired, like this move, is just fine with me. Everyone around the NFL knows Sanchez will never be a great QB, so it’s just a matter of time until he’s gone. As Jim Morrison sang, “Waiting…waiting…”

106. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the Sun on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Interesting point from Jeff Darlington on the NFL site: ‘The Jets are left to start a QB whose body of work is extensive enough to conclusively show exactly what he is. Since 1980, there have been just 3 other QBs selected with a top-5 draft pick who have played 4 seasons without a passer rating above 80. The names? Rick Mirer. Tim Couch. And Joey Harrington. That’s the company we’re talking about here — a handful of QBs who were given every chance to succeed and never really did.” Guess they never had any weapons either, eh, Spice? What Sanchez lacks more than weapons is skills for his job, just like Rex, Mr T, and half our roster. Rex’s talk today on how playing badly could help MS play better is the most absurd thing he’s said yet.

107. By scjoe on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Sad, sad, sad, sad,sad! That’s about all I can say. I have been a supporter of Rex Ryan from the get go. I have given him the benefit of the doubt on most of the head scratching incidents that have been taking place for the past 4 years now simply because I refuse to believe he is calling all the shots. With this latest head scratching decision I am still not totally convinced that it was his decision alone. I think it came directly from Tannenbum. If there was some way that we could no for sure, with out doubt that it was solely Rex Ryan’s decision I would officially jump off of that bandwagon in a heartbeat, because that is insane! You are not “giving this team it’s best chance to win”

108. By Tom Spicer on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

SCJoe, I can answer that question to Mikey C for you. Keller would go from a okay TE to a Dallas Clark in his prime type player. Kerley would go from a borderline #3 (which he is right now) to a bets a very low end #2. Cumberland & Gates are SCRUBS not even roster worthy & if GOD was throwing them the ball they still would not be good. Hill until he learns how to catch is not even discussable!

109. By ELI RODRIGUEZ AKA (RUSS BALL 4GM) on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

TO JOE–KARAN–SPICER: FOR LAST TIME, REGARDLESS OF OUR 3RD STRING QB DEFFICIENCY OR WHEN HE WAS DRAFTED AND/OR LACK OF SUPPORTING CAST– HE DID WHAT M.S. WASN’T ABLE TO DO (KEEP THE DRIVE ALIVE AND SCORE) AND MAY I ADD WITH THE SAME CAST. AND JOE REMEMBER, YOU GET 3 DOWNS TO MOVE THE 10 YARDS, DO YOU REALLY NEED A CANON FOR THAT. C’MON MAN KEEP IT REAL. OH YEAH…. FIRE T-REX!

110. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the Sun on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

SCfromNY, your posts about the Jets’ losing culture are my favorites for the day because that’s at the root of our failures and it goes way beyond Sanchez, Rex, and Mr T. It may go all the way up to Woody, we’ll find out this off-season. Spice, I’ll give you credit for predicting that starting Sanchez means Mr T, Rex, and Sparano sense or even know that they’re getting fired. I think that’s an astute observation, partly because it goes with the shocking thing that DeG did. I sense everyone knows there are big changes coming and from Rex’s always-delusional perspective, he probably figures going 9-7, making the playoffs, and watching “Mark” play one good half and one bad to lose in the 1st round might save his job, but I doubt that it will.

111. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the Sun on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, we’re at an interesting crossroads. Following this team has become like trying to read the power plays in the court of some king. Who is telling who to play who? If Woody told Mr T to get Tebow, why is his telling Rex to start Mc not enough to get Mc on the field? If Mr T told Rex to start Sanchez, why should Rex listen when Mr T is the most likely, based on performance, to get fired? Impossible to know these things for sure, so I’ll just go on what I know from my own observation: Rex isn’t remotely qualified, in temperament or skill, to be an NFL HC. Sanchez doesn’t have close to what it takes to ever be an elite QB. And we still play in the same stadium as maybe the best org in the NFL, so we still need to make very big changes.

112. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the Sun on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

As many on this site have pointed out, it’s clear the O no longer wants to play for Sanchez. You could tell that on the first series that Mc played. Typically, Rex either doesn’t see this or doesn’t care. Which leads me to the big conclusion, one that many of us started entertaining long before Rex admitted that he “lost the pulse of the team” last yr: The team, for all its publicly faked enthusiasm for Rex, doesn’t want to play for him anymore either. Randy didn’t print a post of mine in which I decried Rex’s pathetic bawling in the locker room after the NE loss, maybe because that spectacle was too embarrassing to this org to begin with. But I’ve never met a football player who’s driven to play for a coach who begs rather than inspires.

113. By Tom Spicer on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Marcus Boyce, 1,000 yards in a 16 game season is not a big deal. That is less than 63 yards per game if you factor it over a 16 game season. Until a guy is getting at least 1,200 yards a year he is not even considered good. As much as we have to replace Sanchez is as much as we have to replace Greene!

114. By Another Tom on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

If the jets were playing at home this week..would Rex have decided to start MS ? not likely. Thats how irrationally this guy thinks..

115. By Tom Spicer on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Mike, 2 things I am not saying the Jets should 100% take Barkley what I am saying is they need to look at Matt Barkely USC, Geno Smith West Virgina & Landry Jones Okalahoma. Put them order of who they feel is the best 1 thru 3 & depending who is there when they pick. If it is the best of the 3 or the worst of the 3 it does not matter TAKE THAT GUY! We all know that Tebow & Snachez are not the answer bring 1 of these 3 to compete with McElroy it cant be any worse than it is now & if we get lucky who knows!

116. By Tom Spicer on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Mike, Also in Barkleys defense unlike Sanchez he not only stayed for his full 4 years at USC. But he started all 4 years at USC so he should be ready for the NFL unlike Sanchez. Also unlike Sanchez Barkley because of the sanctions USC was under had significantly less talent around him cause USC did not have scholarships to give out. Despite the fact that Barkley did not have the talent around him that Sanchez had he still put up good numbers every year. Now again I aint saying he is the answer but he has WAY more experience, had way less talent around him, still put up the numbers & cant be any worse than what we got now!

117. By Karan on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Get Sanchez some great receivers next season and a legit running game (meaning no Shonn Greene) and everything will be fine. He’s done it before.

Two bad seasons and everyone creates a panic about the QB position. The whole team has been horrid, including the QB as well, I won’t take that away from the equation, but it comes down to everyone. He must work on his game as well, hopefully he gets another chance here.

118. By Karan on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Sure do miss Braylon here, solid solid receiver during his time here and the chemistry with the QB was great. But after those comments, no way he gets a job here. Sorry to hear about his release from the Seahawks.

119. By ron alexander on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, Tell me your not starting to waver on Sexy Rexy? Hey, it took me a while to see the light about Sanchez so I can understand your prevous Rex support. Truthfully until the S.Holmes incident in Miami last year I was a Rex guy too! And I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt till all the nonesence started this year with guys supposedly bashing Tebow and all that crap.For me the insane defence of M.S play was the deal breaker. If Rex is the guy you & I thought he was I dont see how Tannenbaum could force him to start M.S.? Hey, he is the coach & Tannenbaum has always maintained Rex makes the call on who starts. With the possability of his job being on the line I cant imagine a NFL coach allowing a G.M to control his fate?

120. By marcus c boyce on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

if we keep m.s, this off season we need to have somebody that knows Q,B., to work with him before he really go off the deep end, and yes start him again if he do not show something this game then he knows he is history. the talent is their you can not be a nice guy and play Q.B. in the NFL.

121. By Allan O'Dane on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

He said it….He actually said it!…”Mark gives us the best chance to win?!?”…Does the NFL have random drug testing for HC’s??? wow…..

122. By ron alexander on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

TOM64, Yeah, I’m reading the same stuff you are. To tell you the truth I figured Rex would start Mark to give him a chance to get his mo-jo back. I’m not at all surprised by this decision. No doubt the fact that this is a road game comes in to play as well. It would have been tough to subject him to the home crowd after how poorly he played on Thanksgiving & last week. It would have been brutal just warming up. If he stunk it up again at home I guarantee it would have been ugly!
    I agree 100% about the state of this organization,clueless! I still believe this goes back to the Miami game last December. Its the H.C’s job to know what is going on with his team.How could Rex not have been aware of the division in his lockerroom?

123. By ron alexander on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

BYRDMAN, “the JET ZONE? Hilarious dude! And sadly appropriate. No question the fans have seen enough as every pool I have seen(ESPN,BLEACHER REPORT & the N.Y.Dailey News are all showing 70+% in favor of McElroy. Heres the thing, as Sanchex has clearly shown a complete lack of confidence in his own ability to get the job, I cant understand what Rex is thinking? Does he really believe the light will suddenly come on & Sanchez will turn into Tom Brady?( or even Joe Flacco?) All I know is if my job was on the line I would want a Q.B who I could trust to man up out there! Does that sound like Mark Sanchez?

124. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the Sun on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Karan, Sanchez has never done “it” and “everything” will never be fine under him. He’s always been very shaky in even his best games and at the most crucial times, or didn’t you see the 1st half of the playoff game vs PIT? And your post becomes unintentionally hilarious when you scold us for complaining about “2 bad seasons” — have you noticed that Harbaugh wouldn’t even wait for 2 bad games from Smith before benching him? Ron a, while I like your posts here you also get an unintentional hilarity gold star for your straight-faced comment about Rex sparing MS the home crowd. Worrying about playing your starting QB at home takes Rex’s coddling of MS to the most absurd pt yet! And yeah, Allan, he actually said it, but I doubt he believes it.

125. By chris long time jet fan on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

lets wait on rg3 until his 2nd season if he last that long he takes alot of hard licks……160 yds and runs for 75 against the giants…..teams will get some tape on him…..i bet he will be injured or to many concussions.hope re x is gone with this mark thing….mac 14 pts in 18 minutes with no practice with the starters…we the same wrs and team..wake up wj..

126. By GaryC on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Next year,Starting QB,Greg McElroy,starting running back,Monte Ball,for starters,and signing Ken O Brien as the quarterback coach,Fassel as o cooridinator.

127. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the Sun on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Lombardi’s 57-second clip on the NFL site about how Mr T’s ridiculous reworking of Sanchez’s contract has boxed the Jets in is must-see for Jet fans, especially for those who still believe a word Rex says about anything. That said, I know that any deal made in the corporate world can be broken when the need is great enough…and I expect that need will become greater not long after MS takes the field on Sunday, even against the lowly Jags…

128. By SCfromNY on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I was one happy guy when Rex arrived in NJ. Brash, funny D “genius”, and a personality. Kinda like marrying the prom queen. It all goes down hill time passes and you must live up to your billing and boasts. “Best chance of winning”!!! “Won a lot of games”!!! “Makes all the throws” Blah, Blah, and Blah. I am done! Rex needs to go. Yes his record is better than many previous Jet HCs but his unwavering love of Sanchez is beyond beleif. Coaches need to make decisions to put their team in a place to win. Rex either doesn’t care or no how.

Spicer: Please no Barkley. In fact I am not in love with any college QB this year. We may be stuck with Sanchez next year so stock on players we can afford and go QB in 2014

129. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the Sun on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

By naming Skelton (ranked 34) to start on Sunday, Whisenhunt bails Sanchez (ranked 32) out of being the lowest-ranked starting QB in the league. But I’m pretty sure after Sunday Skelton and Sanchez will trade places in the ranks. And for all you who seem content to make endless excuses for Sanchez in his 4TH yr, I suggest you take a look at what Griffin is accomplishing in his 1ST yr.! THAT’S what a Top 5 QB pick is supposed to get you! And just for the record, GaryC, while his team is about as pathetic as ours and he’s having a typical sophomore jinx yr, overall Newton still looks like he’s got a lot bigger future in this league than MS.

130. By Joe on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

GARY, ELI maybe before you give an opinion MAYBE YOU SHOULD TALK TO A QUALIFYED FOOTBALL AUTHORITY about how important IT IS for an NFL QB TO HAVE AN NFL CALIBER ARM AND BE ABLE TO MAKE ALL THE THROWS ON THE FIELD .As i posted previously my moms cousin has numerious sb rings as DCORD OF THE WASH REDSKINS.Whether you chose to believe it or not THERE IS A SPECIFIC REASON ALMOST EVERY SB WINNING QB OUT THERE WAS AN EARLY ROUND DRAFT CHOICE .You guys WANT TO LIVE IN FANTASYLAND ABOUT A 7TH ROUNDER (WITH THE ARM OF A HS QB )WINNING THE SB FINE BUT MARK MY WORDS ITS NOTHING MORE THAN A WASTE OF TIME .Rex or NO REX whoever comes in here HAS TO DRAFT AN ELITE QB EVEN THOUGH (ELI )THE GAME IS PLAYED 10 YARDS AT A TIME

131. By Bennett on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

There is plenty of tape on Sanchez all the teams even the awful ones have an idea how to beat him. Did you not see the Pats set that trap for the Sanchez pic? And he fell for it, as obvious as it was on re-play A perfect example of how easy it is to beat him. Fact is T-baum gave a huge extension to a #30 rated QB who had to be pulled mid- game and benched he was so bad. This team over the years never fails to amaze, the truly deserve all the disrespect and the reputation of clowns. If the owner wanted McElroy to start he would be starting. This whole mess is another T-baum bungle that just continues to prove how inept and unsuited he is as a GM.

132. By Joe on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

ps PLEASE dont try to compare the fact that because he won the NAT CHAMP it translates to THE NFL My business partner capt and was an ALL AMERICAN on the best college football team in history (95 Nebraska )IT ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MEANS NOTHING IN TRANSLATION TO THE NFL NOTHING. Mcelroy won in colege because the talent around him was much greater than the oposing team .NFL SCOUTS REFLECTED THIS IN A POOR DRAFT GRADE BECAUSE OF HIS LACK OF ARM STRENGTHT The man was drafted to POSSIBLY be a back up .Gary its all about winning the SB inturn WE NEED A qb to BE ABLE TO MATCH ROGERS MANNINGS ECT THROW FOR THROW NOT BE ABLE TO MANAGE THE GAME AND PRAY OUR D CAN HOLD THEM DOWN.

133. By Bennett on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

That being said it does not mean that Sanchez or any members of that team should be subject to heckling, shouted insults. etc. If they are booed in the stadium thats part of sports and the fans can and should voice there displeasure in this manner. Any other stuff is just low-life,

134. By chris long time jet fan on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

this jets team is good all we need is quarterback that controls the clock..gets the defense some rest between sets..and doesnt throw 1 iterception and 1 fumble per…credit to mark last week no fumble…rex cant be that much out of reality….must be more that we dont know…

135. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Rex, is an egomaniac, There just is no other excuse for his blatant acts of denial, I know coming from a football family and back round he can’t be that incompetent..Yet in spite of what the fans and the football world are witnessing he still insists on putting Sanchez back in, . The right move, which anyone will tell you start G-mac and if he fails than see if Sanchez can come in and Play better with pressure on some one else , That would be the smart way to play it , But what do I know

136. By Joe on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

ps Gary, Nebraska in the mid 90s was quarterbacked by a guy named TOMMY FRAZIER. FRAZIER for his career there was as a starter was EXACTLY 33-3 (2 nat titles )Despite all the above FRAZIER (like McELROY )did not HAVE THE ARM TO BE AN NFL QB NO MATTER HOW SUCCESSFUL HE WAS IN COLLEGE .My partner brother in 5 years there was 73-3 with 3 NAT TITLES ALL AMERICAN NUMBER 1 DRAFT CHOICE because of HIS PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES TO PLAY IN THE NFL

137. By Frank on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Spicer you are 100% right this is clearly on Rex and Tannenbaum. They have no choice but to stick with Jamarcus Sanchez because their jobs are on the line. I can guarantee you it was their bonehead idea to give Sanchez that idiotic contract extension and with his performance this year they are all going down together. There is zero chance they survive and particularily Tannenbaum if they sit Sanchez the rest of the season. That is also why they are jamming Ducasse down our throats because their drafts and signings have been positively abysmal since Rex got here.

138. By harry-o on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

fine MS starts vs Jags, no surprise.
    but will Gmac also be active ?
    that is what really matters
    if not then Rex goes back to old stubborn ways
    and nothing was learned last week

139. By Byrdman on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Watching the Redskins play this week – WOW! Those guys know how to run the football, amazing ball fakes and precision blocking, RG3 is phenomena and Shanahan hasn’t overwhelmed the kid. They put 4 in the back-field and Griffin fakes a hand-off to the HB running right then gives it to the back going the other way. Giants were having a hard time figuring out who had the ball, by the time they did, Skins had already gashed em for 20 yards. Teams get dizzy, frustrated and demoralized trying to stop the run – then RG3 rolls out and finds Moss, Garcon or a TE wide open down-field. I figured that was going to be the plan for Tebow and the spread formation this year – mix in some T-cat when the regular offence bogs down – MAN was I wrong :D

140. By scjoe on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

64, Who’s on first? LOL! I don’t have the answers to any of those questions you listed above. But what I do know is if you were to remove all the politics from the equation and make a unanimous decision based solely on “who gives you the best chance to win” then, factor in exactly what you have seen on the field over the course of the season, Mark Sanchez would come in a distant 3rd. So, why he has been named the starter again this week is about as puzzling to me as trading for Tim Tebow was when you already had a viable option at b/u QB (Stanton) on your roster while still maintaining a 4th round pick. To me, this season has been thee most frustrating from a fans perspective since the Rich Kottite disaster.

141. By scjoe on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Ron, I distinctly remember your support for Sanchez back in training camp, I remember those exchanges where you gave him the benefit of the doubt what with his supporting cast, with the previous OC etc. then I watched as that support wavered and wavered as the season unfolded. I think the difference between what Sanchez has done and what Rex has done is the fact that we see up close and personal what Sanchez is capable of and what he isn’t capable of while many of the decisions most people believe are coming directly from Rex may not be coming from him at all. That is my dilemma. If I knew with out doubt that all of these head scratching decisions, especially this year, are his solely, I jump ship, just as many have done with Sanchez.

142. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Spicer lets agree to disagree , NO MORE QB”S from USC, Matt Barkley, Are you Kidding or recruiting for that School ? they are College Elites NFL grave yards. I’d like to repeat myself once again at the risk of being redundant, They have one of the Best recruitment systems in place, Players in place are the Elite in the country, if given the opportunity 90% of blue chip players would go there, Their transition Percentage from college to NFL are abysmal

143. By GaryC on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Barkley had great talent around him this season,that’s why USC was pre season number one,Marquis Lee,Robert Woods,Silas Redd,transferred from Penn State,USC problem going in this year was defense,That is why Barkley had a lousy year,he had a lot of talent back on offense and he didn’t uphold his end of the bargain,you would get a lower level Sanchez with him.

144. By Tom Spicer on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Gary C, Look at Barkelys O line it was bad this year & his D was terrible!

145. By Tom Spicer on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Guys I did not say take Barkley I said IF & only IF the Jets think he is the best QB out there & he is there when we pick to take him!

146. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the Sun on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, and lots of you other folks, what’s become clear is that the Jet org is living in its own little dream world. We have the 32nd-ranked QB who’s pretty much had the same yr 4 times and showed the same flaws for 4 yrs, and yet we talk about him like he’s actually of any consequence. Really foolish to waste much time arguing about that. It’s all about Woody waking up and deciding he doesn’t want to be the biggest joke in the NFL.

147. By GaryC on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Jetfantom,I was waiting for your statement about Superman,in his own mind,Newton,or as I refer,Cam the Sham.he is perfect so far,two for two.as in not making the playoffs.Sanchez might be done as a jet but Newton has done less then even Sanchez did his first two years,and that is getting his team to the playoffs which I believe A Superman can do.

148. By ron alexander on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

S.C.Joe, Like I said, as a former Rex &Sanchez supporter I completely understand how you feel regarding this topic. Personally I just got to the point that i had seen enough of the two of them & I’m done! Everyone has his breaking point so I’m sure you & I will revist this subject again in the near future. Like I said(&Mean) I enjoy our back & forth & respect your opinions enough to in the case of M.S change my mind(along with his putrid play!). Frankly, if I knew for a fact that Rex wasn’t makeing the decisions I’m not sure what I would do? I still have the issues of his so-called ignorence with the S.Holmes fiasco last year as well as “the confidential Tebow bashing’ this year. And again, Sanchez gives them the best chance to win?

149. By GaryC on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Joe, the ouija board and tarot cards have already told you that McElroy is a bust as a quarterback,can you apply as one of the jets scouts,we need someone with such foresight.pennington had a weak arm and was a number one,he was successful until his arm and shoulder problems.Peyton Manning choked when he played Florida every year in college,you know that seeing you followed Nebraska in the mid 90’s.He also continually choked in his early years as an NFL qb.Same with Brees until he got to the Saints,Please give McElroy a break,and also check where Johnny Unitas was drafted,that will make you laugh.

150. By GaryC on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Joe,is that the same redskins team that won a super bowl with Joe Theisman all 5’11 quarterback.Also the cerebral Montana beating the Marino cannon in the super bowl.Also those drafts that had George,Leaf,Russell,THOSE GUYS WHO CAN THROW IT THROUGH A BRICK WALL,no super bowl trophys on their mantel.

151. By chris long time jet fan on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

joe montana when he was at his best didnt have a strong arm…extremely accurate and knew where to place the ball.. good quarterbacks make good wrs not vice versa..

152. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom for Change You Can Believe In on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, if Newton had been on the two Jet teams that Sanchez was lucky enough to be on his first two yrs, I guarantee you our chances of going to be the SB woulda been just as good or better. Let’s drop this nonsense that QBs, much less QBs as terrible as Sanchez, single-handedly “take” their teams to the playoffs, much less the SB. Sanchez has never taken this team anywhere, he’s just managed not to get in its way now and again. His vaunted “comebacks” in 2010 were only necessary because that’s when he started establishing himself as the slowest-starting QB in the league. These days he often doesn’t even get started at all…

153. By Joe on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Gary I didnt follow NEBRASKA MY BUSINESS PARTNER was the caption of the 95 team (regarded as the best in college football history )I actually FOLLOWED PENN STATE because a guy named AL GOLDEN (current HEAD COACH AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI )AND I ARE CLOSE CHILDHOOD FRIENDS -ROOMATES There are always exceptions to the rule WHEN 90% OF ALL SB WINNERS ARE PICKED IN THE EARLY ROUNDS THAT TELLS YOU THE EXCEPTIONS ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN .As far as THEISMAN if you check THE D CORD ON ALL THE REDSKINS SB WINNING TEAMS INITIALS ARE LP .(LP HAPPENS TO BE A FAMILY RELATIVE OF MINE )In fact he is the GENTLEMAN who made it quite clear to me THE IMPORTANCE OF AN NFL QBS ABILITY TO MAKE ALL THE THROWS

154. By scjoe on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Ron, you are right on both counts.There are some things with Rex that I was not/am not overwhelmed with. But a big part of my problem is “who do we go with from here?” you know that old saying “you know what you have, but you never know what you may get” or something like that. You are also right that we probably will revisit this issue down the road at some point, more then likely after the fact. One thing is certain though, no matter who is calling the shots, especially on Sanchez, deserves to be shown the door like yesterday!

155. By scjoe on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Ditto that 64!

156. By Joe on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

ps GARY as far as GIVING MCELROY A BREAK your BEEF should be with ALL THE SCOUTS -DIRECTER OF PLAYER PERSONAL in the entire league THEY GRADED HIS ARM to NOT BE NFL CALIBER HENCE THE 7TH ROUND GRADE (prospect CAN NOT MAKE ALL THE THROWS NECC)In your opinion he can play qb (-win sb ) we will see who knows more about the game you or the 20 buddys of mine with 100 plus years NFL EXPERIANCE AS PLAYERS OR COACHES.(THEY ARE the ones TELLING ME THE LAST THING YOU COULD POSSIBLY WANT IN A QB PROSPECT IS THE INABILITY TO MAKE ALL THE THROWS .)LOL what were THE REDSKINS THINKING THEY GAVE UP YEARS OF DRAFT PICKS(TENS OF MILLIONS) TO GET RG THEY COULD HAVE HAD MCELROY FOR AT A 7TH ROUNDER. THE FACT THAT HE DOESNT HAVE AN NFL CALIBER ARM IS MEANINGLE

157. By Byrdman on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

GaryC – I think Joe’s point is, when evaluating potential NFL QB’s, with all other factors being equal, NFL scouts will rate the player with a better fastball significantly higher. In 2012 with the corner speed and pass coverage skills your QB will face, the Faster he gets the ball into the rcvr’s hands, before the CB or FS arrive the better. Statistically Chad was our best QB, what he lacked in velocity he made up for somewhat with timing, anticipation and just being smart. But..Defenses caught up with CP – remember how inadequate he looked in those playoff games against the Raiders and Ravens? The odds are against G-Mac, 31 teams said No Thanks 6 times mainly because the scouting report said “less than average arm strength” continued>

158. By Byrdman on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

That’s like saying a baseball pitcher has a 70mph fastball. I like G-Mac, he’s the kind of underdog that Jet fans can rally around and support. Maybe he is the exception to the rule, what if the guy is so mentally sharp and reads NFL defenses better than anybody? I’ve heard it said about Brady that from the instant he decides a guy is open BOOM the ball fires out and hits the target faster than almost any other NFL QB. If you watch him in games you can actually SEE it. Brady has been working on improving that ability his whole career. Maybe Greg can increase his throwing velocity and reduce the time his passes are in the air, in danger of getting intercepted – Maybe the Jets finally got it right on their QB after 50 years of mediocrity !

159. By ELI RODRIGUEZ AKA (RUSS BALL 4GM) on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

LOL…… MR. JOE IF I TALK TO A QUALIFYED FOOTBALL AUTHORITY LIKE APPARENTLY YOU’VE BEEN DOING, IT WON’T BE MY OWN OPINION. PLEASE TELL ME, WHEN DID I SAID THAT G-MAC WAS GOING TO OR COULD TAKE THE JETS TO THE SUPERBOWL. (TRY LEAVING THE BASEMENT ONCE IN A WHILE). WHAT I FIND PUZZLING IS WHY ALL THOSE THOUSAND OF JETS FANS AT MET LIFE STADIUM WERE CHANTING FOR A 7TH ROUNDER/3RD STRINGER (WITH A H.S. ARM) INSTEAD OF STICKING WITH A GUY WHO CAN MAKE ALL THE THROWS BECAUSE HE WAS DRAFTING 5TH AND THAT’S ALL THE CRITERIA NEEDED IN YOUR WORLD. WERE ALL THOSE FANS WRONG TOO.

160. By GaryC on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

so jetfantom,your saying Shotty would have given Fig Newton more leeway on calling his own plays and Rex too.That Rex would have more confidence in Newton then his top rated defense,that conservative Rex would allow Sham to turn it over like he has done his first two years,before taking a more conservative approach like he did with Sanchez when he turned it over.

161. By GaryC on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Byrdman,there are just not that many Slam Dunk quarterbacks that come out of the draft,that have it all,tell me the quarterback now who has it all,who stands 6’4 or more,throws it like a cannon,can read defenses,has exceptional footwork and speed,those guys go in the first 5 picks and most teams are very lucky after that to get a quarterback who will be a franchise type,the chips have to fall correctly,Guys like Big Ben,if you look back should have gone higher,but even the football geniuses had questions about him,same with Brees and others.

162. By Byrdman on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

GaryC – I think we’re on the same page for the most part. Big Ben had the MAC (small school) weak competition questions. I felt on draft day teams under-estimated Ben as much as the Jets overestimated Chad P.who had NONE of Ben’s physical ability. Tragically Jet fans have witnessed about 5 decades of this team drafting a B or B- QB in the first round while watching the SB teams snatch the A+ talent, and in many cases landing that franchise guy after we’d chosen ours. Case in point: Jets SERIOUSLY over-reached, trading up for Sanchez in 09, should have stayed put at #17 and drafted Josh Freeman, a bigger, faster more elusive QB, stronger, more accurate arm. Clay Mathews was still there too! player talent evaluation here is pathetic

163. By Joe on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

GARY BIG BEN WAS A NUMBER 1 BREES WAS A NUMBER 2 .90%OF all the quarterbacks that won SUPER BOWLS WERE EARLY ROUND PICKS (THAT SAYS IT ALL )There are not many slam dunks qb (BUT THOSE THAT THERE ARE WERE TAKEN IN THE FIRST FEW ROUNDS NOT THE SEVENTH )

164. By Joe on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

ELI 70 k people are screaming for a QB CHANGE BECAUSE ANYBODYS BETTER THAN SANCHEZ (the local HS QUARTERBACK COULD BE SITTING ON THE JETS BENCH AND FANS WOULD CALL FOR HIM OVER SANCHEZ )Whoever they put in MAY BE BETTER THAN SANCHEZ BUT IN THE LONG RUN IT MEANS NOTHING BECAUSE THERES NO QUARTERBACK ON THE ROSTER REMOTELY CAPABLE OF WINNING A SUPERBOWL AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS

165. By Joe on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

BYRDMAN if you read the report on BRADY his arm wasnt in question )he was drafted low because he didnt play much in college (IN AND OUT OF THE STARTING LINEUP )Your exactly correct though about defences catching up ONCE THEY KNOW A QB CANT MAKE ALL THE THROWS ITS MUCH MUCH EASYIER TO DEFENCE AGAINST THAT A BRADSHAW ,ELWAY If 90 % of all quarterbacks that have won the SB WERE DRAFTED IN EARLY ROUNDS CAN THIS TEAM AFFORD TO TAKE A CHANCE HOPING A 7TH ROUNDER WILL DEVELOP Trust me on this one IF A NEW REGIME COMES IN HERE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NO WAY IN THE WORLD WILL THEY TRUST MCELROY TO DEVELOP .(your not drafting a qb hoping a 7th rounder WITHOUT AN NFL CALIBER ARM DEVELOPS NO WAY )

166. By Joe on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

GARY ,ELI you guys had better CONTACT THE NFL NETWORK AND INTURN TELL THEM THEIR EXPERT ANALYSISTS DONT KNOW WHAT THEIR TALKING ABOUT. Charlie Caserly was just interviewed about the ENTIRE JET QB DEBACLE AND WORD FOR WORD SAID (regarding MCELROY )YOU CANT POSSIBLY TRY TO BUILD A TEAM AROUND A QB THAT CANT GET THE BALL DOWNFIELD ITS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME Casserly (and all those super bowl rings he has )should be made aware that the game is only played 10 yards at a time

167. By Joe on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

The last 10 sb WE WON BY THE FOLLOWING quarterbacks Rothesburger Brees Brady Rogers P Manning EManning ALL (but BRADY )WERE DRAFTED IN THE FIRST OR SECOND ROUND All (including BRADY )CAN MAKE ALL THE THROWS INTURN HAVE NFL CALIBER ARMS. If ARM STRENGH AND THE ABILITY TO MAKE ALL THE THROWS ARENT MAJOR CRITERA IN THE OVERALL SENERIO OF GREAT QUARTERBACKING (WINNING THE SUPER BOWL )THATS SOME UNBELIEVABLE STATISTICAL COINSIDENCE WE GOT ON OUR HANDS FELLAS .

168. By chris long time jet fan on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

drafting is not a science but what we do know mcelroy is better than sanchez..personally i think mark was never good and cost us alot of games….from day 1 he has always turned over the ball and nothing has changed..let tim sink or swim… let mac sink or swim….we know mark sunk….but it shouldnt take 4 yrs to figure it out..COMOM MAN

169. By chris long time jet fan on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

WE ALREADY KNOW SUNDAY WILL BE RUN RUN AND MORE RUN CAUSE IF MARK DOES THROW IT WILL BE PICKED.MARK IS A CANCER AND ANY GOOD WRS WANTS THE BALL THROWN TO HIM AND WHY WOULD YOU SIGN WITH THE JETS KNOWING MARK IS YOUR QB..EXCEPT CRAZY MONEY

170. By Byrdman on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Joe – Yup, you nailed it about Brady. I live in Michigan, recorded and watched every U of M game sometimes 3 or 4 times over:) They had 4 QB’s when Brady arrived there, and it took the coaches a couple seasons to figure out that Brady was the best of the bunch. I laugh about it now but back in 2000 I was literally SCREAMING at my TV on draft day for the Jets to “TAKE BRADY” When we chose Pennington in the first round I was going “WHO THE HECK IS THIS GUY”? Surely the Jets had accidentally written down the wrong name, they really wanted Brady.(face palm) As a Jetfan I ended up rooting for Chad, but I filed that pick away under “WHY JETS WILL FOREVER BE MEDIOCRE” LOL – I’d need a warehouse for that file now !!

171. By ELI RODRIGUEZ on Dec 9, 2012 | Reply

HEY JOE, I HAVE A BRIDGE FOR SALE IN BROOKLYN. DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THIS TO YOU.

172. By sal cottone on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Dosnt matter Edwards is back..too ltate..At least it been said by the so called experts even they are clueless at what the brain trust is doing here..The big loser is Mark Sanchez. he has talents..but like so many before he is lost in the world of failure that is the New York Jets.

173. By sal cottone on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Why does Sparono get a pass with the media. Grueden put it pefectly, its painfull to watch this Offence, also pointed out, Everytime Sanchez gets on a run they pull him, sparon did it twice, and we arnt out the 3rd qtr, This kid dosnt stand a chance here, we dont as fans of this miserable soap opra..Its like they are joined at the hips with the Mets! Mr. T and sparono have to be gone, Tom Moore has to be brought back period Woody. Its on you Mr. baby powder! Its on you!!!

174. By Jack on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

Its time to clean the house the 1st person need to go is GM, Mike Tannenbaum being in a new GM, let him handle the issue with Mark Sanchez wheather or not to trade him or keep him or cut him. Then fire OC, Tony Sparano. Rax Ryan he a good DC, but he coaching stinks hate to see him get fired but if the new GM, feel it the best thing to do then like it be.

175. By Jack on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply