• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Thu., Sep. 25, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 26, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 28, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Lions at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 28, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Lions at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

STS*: Josh Bush Carves Out a Special Niche

Posted by jlholt32 on December 16, 2012 – 9:22 am

For Josh Bush, it seems like only yesterday when he was gearing up for his first NFL training camp.

Now it’s the middle of December and his rookie season is reaching its final stages.

“It’s gone by very fast,” Bush said Thursday inside the Jets locker room. “People were telling me stories about the rookie wall and this and that, but it’s flying by to me.”

Unlike his teammate, wide receiver Stephen Hill, Bush said of the rookie wall: “I haven’t experienced it.”

The Jets’ sixth-round draft selection described his first year in the pros as fun but admitted things could be better if the team had a winning record. The Green & White are 6-7 but still have a chance to end their season with an above-.500 record as three regular-season games remain.

One week ago, Bush made one of the best plays of his young NFL career during the Jets’ 17-10 win Jacksonville. On the second-half kickoff, he beat his block and took down returner Jordan Todman with a low tackle at the Jaguars’ 11-yard line. The play seemed to ignite the entire team as the Jets defense immediately forced a three-and-out and minutes later the Jets offense scored their first TD of the afternoon when RB Shonn Greene rushed for a 1-yard score to cap a nine-play, 57-yard drive.

“We just went over it in a special teams meeting,” Bush said of the play. “We put something new in. Coach Westhoff drew up a great play. I was really coming down, stacking up behind Antonio [Allen], and I read it. Nick [Bellore] was playing off of me, and the hole just opened up.”

No. 32 said he was only doing his job on the play, but acknowledged it was nice to see the play executed properly.

“We definitely practiced it,” he said. “That was exactly what we practiced.”

Bush, a safety on defense, has played a significant role on special teams this season. He played on 15 special teams plays against Jacksonville and on 168 this season, 44% of the Jets’ total ST plays. And his tackle of Todman was his 13th on kick and punt coverage this season, tying him for the team lead with Nick Bellore and fellow rookie Demario Davis.

Yet he never played special teams in high school and his only action on specials at Wake Forest occurred early his freshman year.

Although he hasn’t seen much action at his natural position, he has valued the opportunity to learn from coordinator Mike Westhoff, now in what he’s said  is his final season as an NFL coach. Bush said what Westhoff has taught him most is that focusing on the task at hand can lead to successful things getting done. Yet early on, Bush said the ST coach had his doubts on whether he could ever be a special teams factor.

“He honestly told me when they drafted me that he didn’t think I’d be able to play special teams,” Bush said. “So just to hear that from him, and him telling me that I’ve been doing a good job, that’s just a positive.”

The Jets rank eighth in opponents’ kickoff-return average and are 13th with opponents’ drives averaging starts at their 21.5 yard-line. At the same time, they lead the league with 22 opponents’ drives starting inside their own 20. While the ranking certainly isn’t despairing, Bush knows it could be better.

“We’ve had ups and downs,” Bush said. “But for the most part, it’s not where we want to be.”

Tennessee’s kick-return unit ranks 31st in the NFL in return average, but Bush said the Jets, in a must-win situation every week now, can’t afford to overlook main returner Darius Reynaud and the Titans.

“It’s the NFL,” Bush said. “You can’t sleep on anyone. Special teams is a very important part of the game, so you’ve got to bring it every time.”

*Special Teams Sunday

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted in John Holt | 63 Comments »

63 Responses to “STS*: Josh Bush Carves Out a Special Niche”

1. By jorge on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

i think allen will be a good safety better then bush if we take time to develop him

2. By SCfromNY on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

Why worry about the growth and success of 2 young safeties that may br winners in the future. I am sure there are a couple of 30 something safeties who USED to be good the Rex could sign and proclaim the next Ronnie Lott or Lynch.

3. By Bennett got Karan mad on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

Ball bounce off Hills hand…many time….why ?

Me not know
    Me not care
    Maybe has
    Hands of bear

4. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

Bush played well against the Jags and so did Allen. If Bush, Allen, and Couples among others can deliver and hold Johnson’s running game under 100 yards we might win. Providing the offense scores points…

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom and Plenty Fed Up By Now on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

He “hasn’t experienced it” because he’s barely played, of course. Not that Bell and Landry have done a bad job but they’re largely placeholders, particularly the older Bell, until we rebuild this team through the draft. It’s curious, to put it politely, that the Jets org still traffics in this picking up of on-the-way-out vets — Lott, Law, Favre, Plax, and others — in this weirdly desperate attempt to never look too bad without ever becoming too good. GaryC, I know you’ve said we’ll never build like the Steelers or the Pats and if so that’s too bad, because that’s the only way to create a dynasty. (I know, you’ve also said “Jets” and “dynasty” shouldn’t rightly appear in the same sentence, but I still hold out hope for that.)

6. By Another Tom on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

It would be nice to see one of our young safetys develop into a starter..We need to catch a break with some of our draft picks..our track record is not so good. Here’s a trade thought…Revis for Kurt Cousins..We’ve had a trade relationship with Washington in the past. they get one of the best CB’s in the league – We get a great looking QB prospect ( in Shanahan’s Offense ). We have to solve our QB problem soon!!!!

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom and Plenty Fed Up By Now on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

If MIA can give up on a guy like this, why can’t we? “The book has long been out on Henne. Despite having a big arm, Henne is robotic in the pocket, doesn’t take enough shots downfield and relies too much on his checkdowns. He did more of the same Sunday and Miami took advantage. Tannehill brings more to the table than Henne. Tannehill has better mobility, can make all the throws and appears mentally tougher to handle the ups and downs of the NFL. The last one is key, because Henne often got down on himself in games and lost confidence with the locker room, coaching staff and Dolphins fans.” Yeah, “the last one is key” with Sanchez, too.

8. By scjoe on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

Well people, believe it or not, if the following set of events were to occur over week #16 and 17, the NY Jets would not only make the playoffs, but would make it as the #5 seed AND, get the best possible match up in round #1 going to Balt. Randy, maybe you can confirm this unlikely, but oh so possible scenario. 1- Jets must win out and finish 9-7. 2- Colts must lose out to KC and Houston to finish 9-7, 3- Bengals must beat Pitt next week then lose to Balt in week 17 to finish 9-7, 4- Pitt would also finish 9-7 with a week 17 win vs. Cleve. But the Jets would have the tie breaker over Cinn and Pit with a better conference record and over Indy with head to head win.
    Never Say Never!

9. By Randy Lange on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, that scenario is accurate.

10. By Bennett got Karan very mad on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

Speaking of QB’s. Man I liked Ken O’Brien. Now this kid had the arm and acuurate.He would let it fly. Most famous becuse he was picked 24th, three spots below Marino.In the 1986 season he finished as the highest rated QB in the NFL. Had 2 PERFECT (yes perfect !! ) passing ratings, Once completed his first 23 of 25 passes and had the, lowest interception rate in the NFL ’85,’87,’88. My favorite and one of the high points as a long suffering Jets fan was when he got in a shoot out with Marino had 479 yards and beat him. (Marino also had over 400 yards ) Now that was a game. The Jets were fun to watch in those days,win or lose, explosive,. Now we got the slow starting, three and out Sanchez with his 4 yard passes and baseball scores. Bad

11. By Karan on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

Man oh man, watching the NE-SF game right now. I am SO SO SO JEALOUS of the 49ers Defense. Thats an all-star group right there. Well coached, hard-hitting, no-nonsense defense. They’re giving Brady nightmares on the bench. And of course, all analysts choose the ever-so overrated Patriots to put this game away. Seriously, I wish our team had some of the personnel from that D, Pro Bowlers like Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, etc. I still respect the players on our D too like Revis, Cromartie, Harris, Landry. But 49ers D is something I’m sure every fan would love to have.

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom and Plenty Fed Up By Now on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, Rex, it sure is sumthin’ watchin’ two game managers ground-and-pounding it out up there in Foxborough, warming up for the big games against the elite teams, all of which either have elite QBs or are working in guys who are going to be elite…WAKE UP TO THE WAY THIS GAME IS PLAYED, DUDE! GaryC, the more I think about Nick Saban taking over for Rex, losing about half our roster, and telling Sanchez that if he can’t legitimately beat McElroy out for the starting job he’s gone, the better it all sounds! Maybe Woody really DOESN’T want to be the laughingstock of the NFL when the SB is played in our stadium and we have one of the worst teams in the league…

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom and Plenty Fed Up By Now on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

scjoe, as for Saban or other college coaches to the pros, there’s a good piece on Yahoo Sports about how folks are re-thinking that question in light of Harbaugh and Carroll’s success. (They mention Schiano too but I don’t there he’s there yet.) This is what I mean about how quickly the thinking changes and how foolish it is to assume that only a handful of guys who’ve coached in the NFL are worth HC consideration. In retrospect, Rex seems to have gotten spoiled and complacent very quickly (just like Sanchez), what with all his “I’ll be here 10 yrs” talk, and his joking around with the players and the press has merely made him a joke. I’ll take a shot on somebody who’s younger, hungrier, and ready to get tough in order to build a winner.

14. By Karan on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Ok yea, I may have gotten a bit ahead of myself there. They did give up a lot of big plays to Brady down the stretch. But they still hung on, sacked him, intercepted him, it was great seeing the Patriots lose. Honestly, we can go back to number 1 if we get two new linebackers with the exception of Harris and Davis will be the next ILB. This team desperatly needs an OLB, need some kind of pass rush. I like our D-Iine, Mo has been great, Coples will too come along and you have two solid veterans in Pouha and DeVito. I wouldn’t mind though if they added another solid lineman. The secondary is great EXCEPT we need a new nickel corner, Kyle Wilson is not getting it done. I like Lankster at that position, but Jets should still consider more……

15. By Karan on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

……..of a solid nickel like we had in Lowery. He was a closer. Then Cro, Landry and Revis MUST return someway somehow. Bell will not most likely return and we wouldn’t really mind. It willbe nice to get a younger more solid SS. Either get one via free agency or I think Antonio Allen can come along and fill that position well and eventually.

16. By Jersey Rich on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

The Pats & 49er game was great viewing in Prime Time Sunday Night. The Jets in Prime Time too often are embarrassing. Prove me wrong Green…

17. By Bennett got Karan very mad on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

I can sit here and honestly say I would not have drafted Sanchez AT ALL, unless to quickly trade him., This is not from hindsite and of coarse I was and remain just a schmo living on The Island. The biggest draft pick choice in years for the Jets, At the final meetings after hearing from the scouts, coaches etc.I would have said “OK people I have heard all the reasons why we should pick him now I want you to leave, and come back and I want to hear all the reasons why we should NOT pick him” One of the first responses I should have heard was…we have serious concerns he is not ready to start in the NFL

18. By Bennett got Karan very mad on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Maybe just maybe I coud see based on his terrific year at USC and the workouts, that he be drafted as the possible FUTURE QB.. Meaning he starts at # 2 and learns what it takes to be an NFL QB and not just a golden boy in collage. Young was the backup for years to The Great Joe Montana and learned, Brady as backup learned what it takes. And you can bet McElroy is soaking it all up. Not the Jets they did not think to develope him they just blissfully turned the team over to a 22 yr old and now in his 4th year we are seeing the results, rookie mistake after rookie mistake, year after year I think if he was willing to learn, and I have my doubts he woud have been, his career and the Jets fortunes wuukd be vastlry differant

19. By SCfromNY on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Sunday musings: Up 31-3 the Broncos kept throwing long. Up 31-3 the 49ers changed their approach offensely a & defensely and it almost cost them the game. 3rd round pick Wilson still lighting up the scoreboard and playing over $Flynn$. Rookie 3rd round Cousins has elite like performance in first game. There are other 1rst round picks struggling to win the past few years; Stafford, Bradford, and Freeman. the difference between them and Sanchez is on the field. They all have reasons/excuses for losing but you can always see the obvious potential. The field presense, ability to read the D, and no whining excuses. With Sanchez you have a QB who will never be any better than he is now. Just a rant to bemoan the fact we NEVER pick the right QB.

20. By Bennett got Karan very mad on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

I was also totally against the Brett Farve move, and boy did I hear it when they got off to that start. In the end I was right. One season and he quit. If he would just have stayed another year and the had drafted Sanchez he would have had the benifit of learning from and watching one of the greats in action. But of coarse Farve quit on us, he “retired” only to appear again with another team. Typical dumb Jet move. Again I have serious doubts with his ego that Sanchez would even have taken advantage of the oppertunity to be schooled by a great one. Probably would have thought he already knew it all. Colleage golden boy through and through. Just keep shedding those fans T-baum, eventually even Johnson might notice what a mess you have create

21. By GaryC on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

We are actually rooting for Brady Quinn and Romeo Crenell to beat the Colts,Good Luck with that,JetFanTom,on the Saban Front,not to sure when it comes to offense he would be any better then Rex,Most college coaches if you watch the games are Ultra Conservative,Pete Carroll being totally opposite,again Saban is a defensive guy from his days in the NFL,he could always hire my guy Fassel for the offensive end of things,but he would definitely put these guys into better shape then the Rex’s ANIMAL HOUSE mentality.

22. By GaryC on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

scjoe,Pitt already has seven losses,if they lose to bengals that gives them eight.

23. By GaryC on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

jetfantom,not saying we can’t be a dynasty,but it takes patience when drafting to develope,and this team for a while hasn’t shown the patience,bringing in stop gaps to cure ills.

24. By scjoe on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

64, I hate to beat a dead horse, but I will one more time. Give me a Brady or a Manning, A Peterson or a Foster, a C. Johnson or a Fitzgerald, a JJ Watt or a Sheldon Smith, A von Miller or a Andrea Ware a Gronowski or a J. Graham and then we can reexamine this question about the HC. It seems to me, in “most” cases a team loaded with elite players never seem to have controversy with their HC.Remember Caldwell “with” Peyton? Remember Caldwell “without” Peyton? Coincedence?

25. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Lets talk about draft picks, I would love to see the Jets draft the following players.

QB – Geno Smith, West Virginia
    RB – Giovani Bernard, NC
    DT – Star Loteletel Utah
    DE – Damontre Moore, Te3xas A@M
    OG – Jonathan Cooper NC
    WR – Keenan Allen California
    DE – Jackson Jeffcoat Texas
    RB – Eddie Lacey Alabama or
    RB – Andre Ellington Clemson and
    TE – Jordan Reed Florida
    However, Tan more then likely go for other team rejects in the Free Agent Market rather then go for draft picks. i

26. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

(Continued)
    I refuse to be optimistic about making the play-offs… I would prefer seeing a GM brought in who helieves in the draft. If Indie, SF among play-off bound teams can build on the draft so can the Jets. But to do it we need a coaching staff who are no nonsense coaches and believe in the draft. THIS SEASON IS OVER FOR THE JETS… Time to rebuild with draft picks….

27. By Bennett got Karan very mad on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Hey T-baum how you feeling about the huge extension you gave a #30 rated QB ? I mean did you happen to glance at what you got here ? 64 interceptions, 122 sacks a nice round 40 fumbles and my favorite a huge 55.3 completion rate. Have you noticed that he is one of the slowest starting QB’s in the league ? No ? Want the stats on that ? No ? What about that huge TD total of … lets see.. 12 ain’t it.Want some more stats ? That won’t be necessay you say ? OK, I understand,. you don’t want to know… I wouldn’t either if I was you. Hey were’s Hunter ? I mean didn’t you re-sign him and tell him he has to play better, haven’t seen him around. Not talking ? Hey I understand I wouldn’t want to talk about it either. Keep up the good work

28. By Bennett got Karan very mad on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

GEE, GOLLY, HOLLY MOLLY that Sanchez is a fireball inee? I mean in the last two games he has 22 completions for 208 yards, and an astounding 5.2 pass average ( man I love when he goes deep like that ) only got sacked four times, and only threw three interceptions. Oh I almost forgot lost a fumble somewhere in there. Had to be pulled for a cold, third stringer who never even suited up all season so the could beat the ” powerhouse ” Cardinals by 7-6. Don’t get any better than this. A true offensive machine we gots us here boys and girls… whooooweeee man o man. .8.25 million.no less. Way to go T-baum you are a true living legend amoung GM’s

29. By Tom Spicer on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

So according to Adam Schefter “ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter that Braylon Edwards may start Monday night’s game against the Titans.
    “Tells you a little bit about where this wide receiver corps is right now,” Schefter added. So a guy comes to a team & passes his physical on Thursday has 2 practices, a walk thru & a travel day. But he is already starting for the Jets. Now all year we have been lead to think by posters that 1 Chaz Scheiliens is more than a #4 at best. 2 That Clyde Gates & Mardy Gilard are anything more than practice squad players. 3 That the Jets dont have THE WORST skill position players in the entire NFL. 4 That Kerley is anything more than an NFL #3. Now if any of the 4 points I posted above were not 100%

30. By Bennett got Karan very mad on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Guy down the street ( Giants fan ) taught his two year old to say” the Jets stink ” When I see the kid he looks up at me and says ” Jets stink ” and his old man cracks up.. I guess it’s kind of funny. Still hard to be a Jets fan now

i

31. By Tom Spicer on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

FACT how does a guy come to a team with 3 weeks left in the season have 2 practices & start THAT WEEK! Unless the guys all around him are 100% SCRUBS! Oh yea thats right Hill could catch if Mark was more accurate & Kerley is a pro bowler LOL!

32. By russ on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Quick fixes to boost attendance, reach picks on draft day make this the essence of Jet Football. not really a team that mkes you want to buy their colors ..as from what I see in stands most players never even make the pro bowl let alone stay on team a long time…A juggernaut of wannabees…and some fools are mentally thinking of being a 5th rnd playoff team…Why to get what? An away game dissapointment? a chance to play Houston or new England? stick to the egg nog..its helathier for your heart…

33. By Tom Spicer on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Also I would like to add that all of the above SCRUBS are healthy so the they are hurt excuse is OUT THE WINDOW!

34. By Tom Spicer on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Keller & Hill have already been ruled out Keller has missed 7 out of 14 games. Hill has missed 5 games. We need all the help we can get & it looks like we are not getting it!

35. By Byrdman on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Watching some of the 1st and 2nd year QB’s play (very well) this season, got me thinking. Looks to me like the “smart” teams have placed their signal callers in an offensive scheme similar to one he had success with in college. Now, Jets have a small sample size to draw from with Sanchez but, when you watch Mark at USC most of his big plays were roll-outs. Either by play design or when the protection broke down, Mark sprinted left or right and hit a receiver down-field for a big gain. I read some former NFL QB’s commenting recently about whether Sanchez can be salvaged, almost every one said that Jets OC’s have stunted his growth, by not playing to his strengths. Fact is; we are stuck with MS (till ’14) a new (legit) OC could help greatly

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom and Plenty Fed Up By Now on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

While you’re watching teams like NE and SF, Karan, you might wish for something else: A QB who can throw and bring a team back, like Brady did from 31-3 or like Kaepernick did in one pass to Crabtree. Rex sure has schooled you well, you can watch a game in which 75 pts are scored and not say a word about the O, not even when that’s more pts than we score in 3 games. scjoe, you just gave me the title for the Jets movie: LOSE OUT: THE NEW YORK JETS STORY! Yeah, it’s always about other teams being bad, not us being good, what a franchise. I agree with everything you say about Sanchez, Bennett, which is why I want Mr T and Rex to pay the price and get the boot for it all.

37. By Another Tom on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

I Hope Revis has the same team of Doctors/ Rehab that Adrian peterson had..Incredible! Then trade him for Cousins – Sure wish we would have stole Burfict in the draft – Bengals got a deal there

38. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

SCJOE.. I would love to have Brady, but being realistic who is going to trade a Brady for a TT or MS, one of the best QB’s coming out of college this year is Geno Smith of West Virginia. I like my list of draft picks above, but who is going to give us a first round draft pick for MS or TT, I do not know of any team that wants MS, as for TT “maybe”. As for “REX, TAN, and SPARANO, can we get a 20th round draft pick for any of them (lol).

I wish I could be as optimistic about the JETS making the play-off this year as some of you in here, I just do not see it happening. These last 3 games should be to evaluate what rookies we have now, not wish-ful thinking.

39. By scjoe on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, all I am saying is my scenario above, at this point in time is possible! As far as KC beating the Colts next Sunday? We are not talking about them beating NE, GB, Denver or Balt, we are talking about the Colts. So, until the Colts officially put that one in the win column the Jets chances are realistic, I am not predicting ANYTHING beyond that!

40. By scjoe on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

As I was watching the NE – SF game unfold, and saw what Danny Woodhead brought to the table, I thought to myself, here is a kid who went from a bottom dweller on a team (NY Jets) that lacked elite talent. He was cut, resigned, put on the practice squad, cut, resigned and finally cut for good. Now he is not only on what many consider to be the best team, or at least a top 3 or 4 team in the NFL, but is one of the leaders there as well. What does all of this mean? 1- what a difference a good FO makes, and 2- what a difference a good QB makes.

41. By Tom Spicer on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

64 Frank, I was talking about Geno Smith liek 2 weeks ago but all of the mock drafts I was looking at they have him going #1 to KC.

42. By scjoe on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Tom Spicer, you are 100% correct, Kerley is not a pro bowler………But I would be willing to bet he would be had he been drafted by NE. Why do you think that is?

43. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom and Plenty Fed Up By Now on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Quick responses on a day when several accounts are annoying me by trying not to pay before 1/1: GaryC, the next Jet HC will be under enormous pressure to ramp up a high-powered, thoroughly modern O, so neither Saban nor anyone else is gonna be able to sign the contract talking about dominant D, ground-and-pound, etc. scjoe, Rex would ruin any of those O guys you mention, his idea of scheming on O is making excuses for Mark, going back and forth on Tebow without ever doing anything, and neglecting McElroy for reasons unknown to us all. Bennett, your stuff today is priceless except for the child abuse of that kid…

44. By Bennett got Karan very mad on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Looks like Alex Smith will be on the block or just outright released next year when his roster bonus comes due. He’s 28 got benched after 9 games with a 70% completion ratio 13 TD’s and 5 INT…. Worth a look ?

45. By GaryC on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

JetFanTom,I have another song: WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR,NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE,wait,let’s not be ridiculous,we are not going to DISNEYWORLD.

46. By Bennett got Karan very mad on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

When the Niners re-signed Smith for three years the wisley gave themselfs an out for each year. For whatever reason ( beyond me ) the decided to make a change and didn’t have to worry about the owner having a stroke with an untradeable, 8.25 million QB sitting on the bench. Lets not even compare Smith and Sanchez stats suffice to say the boy wonder is making much more for much less talent and T-baum did a great job of tieing him to us regardless of his play. For all I know the owner told T-baum to tie up Sanchez, but I think that would have leaked by now. Keep up the good work T-baum you are truly amazing

47. By Mike Jet Vet on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

OK I’ll simplify, since my last point wasn’t posted. I’m getting sick and tired of teams like Atlanta, Seattle, Cincy, Colts, Texans, GB Giants. Rebuild and rebuild almost every year. or when all else fails, they turn over players and or coaches no matter what the cost until they fit, Yet us the NY Jets being in one of, if not the biggest football market in the country make moves, millions spent, just can’t get it right

48. By SCfromNY on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

scjoe. I beleive your take on coaches is important BUT not all the time there are exceptions especially with coaches who have “lost” the team. Harbaugh took over a losing 49ers and made them relavent in 1 year with the same players. It is not always about the players and not always about the coach. You could make small tweeks on the defense and be viable. You could bring the offense along but so much more is needed. One starting OL & 3 quality backups. Two WRS better than what we have, at least 1 TE who blocks and catches, One starting RB, the ones we have are good backup/change of pace backs, and most important a QB. Trade for one and let him compete with McElroy for starting and add a 3rd string. NOW ADD GRUDEN!

49. By Byrdman on Dec 17, 2012 | Reply

Bennett – Yeah I loved O”Brien too! He was the best pure passer I’ve seen in a Jet uniform. That dude could flat out spin it! Just one correction to your post – Ken was drafted 24th in ’83 – 3 spots AHEAD of Marino. Ken won the 1990 QB skills competitiion, beating Marino and about 6 other great passers. O’Brien was by far the most accurate, I’ll never forget one 50 yard laser he threw hit a few inches from the bullseye – AMAZING! Wonder if Ken would be willing to come and work with our QB’s next year ?

50. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

Sloppy game. Once again MS proved his worth, which is useless, 4 interceptions and with 53 seconds to go he had the ball in his hands and lost it with a total of 126 yards passing. Sparano proved how good of an OC he is, and REX once again got his bubble bursted. Now that we do not have to worry about the play-offs, put McElroy in the last 2 games and give all the young players a shot at developing.

Tom Spicer, you could be right about Geno Smith, but there will still be Arron Murry of Georgia, Tyler Wilson of Arkansas, Ryan Nussib of Syracuse and Lindsy Jones of Oklahoma all QB’s with high ratings…

51. By scjoe on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

64Frank, my post above where I said “give me a Brady or a Manning etc” was just to make a point to 64Tom about how elite talant makes an ordinary HC look elite as well, not to propose a trade of any kind.SCNY, agree, that is why I said “in most cases” which I will stand by. Give Ryan a Brady instead of a Sanchez, a Peterson instead of a Greene, a Gronkowski instead of a Keller, etc. and I guarantee you wouldn’t be hearing any chatter about firing the HC. You saw the performance tonight by Mark Sanchez, do you think the result would have been any different if Vince Lombardi were the HC? The #1 issue with this team is not the coaching staff, it is the personell, starting with the QB.

52. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom and Plenty Fed Up By Now on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, the song for tonight, just like a few days ago, is Frank Zappa and the Mothers’ “The Torture Never Stops.” scjoe, everything you say sounds good but Wrecks, with his stubbornness and outdated view of O, would find a way to keep it from working, so he has to go — hopefully tomorrow morning after that ridiculous performance in TEN, including many of his own ridiculous decisions. MJV is right about it’s time to get it right!

53. By steven on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

I have quit being a NYJ fan. I’m only commenting because I was a fan for 31 years and got nothing for it. This season is the example of my whole 31 years. Jets have brought me no joy only misery. My comment is this; If you don’t get Sanchez into Mccarthy’s annual QB school, you are shooting yourselves in the foot. Put Tebow in there too. I think McElroy is a champion and he’s been going to QB school. I think the NYJ were stupid not to take advantage of McElroy. It’s not fun watching the Jets. It’s been miserable. You make people pay to suffer and many wise Jets fans now realize it isn’t worth it. the Jets are a joke. All you do is make me angry. Lose the rest of your games to get good draft picks. You’ve ruined Tebow’s chances. What a shame

54. By russ on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

Make Parcells daughter GM …

55. By ron alexander on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

BENNETT, Hey, you could be on to somthing with Alex Smith but remember one thing,’ before Harbough showed up Smith was pretty much a Mark Sanchez clone.He was not a 70% passer, he was not deemed a starting much less winning Q.B.So, ask yourself, if he was so good, why was he benched? I would be very apprenhensive about aquireing him for the Jets.The other issue with Smith will be money. He is a free agent he should get a lot of offers if he is that good?
    We shall see! Byrdman & Bennett, thanks for your comments on O’brien. Like you guys I loved him.(not just because he was Irish either!) He was without question the closest thing to Namath we have ever had. Quick release, accurate, great decision maker & threw a great feep ball too!

56. By Tom Spicer on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

Besides the fact that Sanchez is not the answer & we need to move on. Also the fact that our entire off season needs to be focused on O (free agency & draft) on QB, RB, WR & RT. What was the 1 thing you noticed about this game? I noticed that Braylon Edwards HANDS DOWN! was the best WR the Jets had on the field that is with 2 practices & not even knowing the plays! So all this our skill position players are on par with the Pats, that Schelines is anything more than a NFL #4, that Mardy Gilard & Clyde Gates are anything more than practice squad players & that Kerley is anything more than a NFL #3 & the he would be a pro bowler if he was on or the Pats or that he would be a pro bowler EVEN if GOD was throwing him the ball. When he is not even

57. By Tom Spicer on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

better than a guy that we just picked up off of waivers is GARBAGE!

58. By Tom Spicer on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

IT IS TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE! From the GM on down. SAME OLD JETS!

59. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

Spicer, it’s not only time to clean house, it’s time for a change at QB right now and I am not going to get on the TT bandwagon. McElroy should be activated and finish the season at QB. During the pre-season when I watched McElroy pass he showed poise, accuracy and good movement when needed. When I watched MS all I saw was QB who was unsure of his own ability as a QB. If you really look at the statistics during spring trfaining and whet little time McElroy played he beat out MS and TT with accurate passing, getting out of harms way and leading the offense. I have yet to se MS lead the offense in the style of a good QB. To fumble with 53 seconds left, there is “NO” excuse for it. Now listening to Ryan in his Post Game Interview got me

60. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

(CONTINUED)
    very angry when he stated he does not know who he will start this coming week. He was also asked if he would reactivate McElroy. The way I see it, if he doen’t reactivate McElroy and let him finish the season, REX and SPARANO should be fired by the end of the week. We can not win with MS. End of converstaion…

61. By Paul N on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

I predicted 5 – 11 for this team, after Monday’s deplorable loss…I guess I wasn’t far off! I must admit I was expecting them to look better loosing though. Too many holes, poor coaching, and of course the quarterback circus have made this season a hard one to swallow. Next season is much the same sadly. House cleaning time once again in Jet Nation. I’m just glad I didn’t pay those PSL’s!!

62. By Howie D on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

I’m glad the game played out the way it did. Only a catastrophe of this magnitude could trigger serious change. The result provided indisputable proof that not even Rex can continue to deny.

63. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for BIG Changes on Dec 18, 2012 | Reply

Great, sane, totally true post, Howie D.