• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 5:30 PM - 5:45 PM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Tim Graham from the Buffalo News to discuss the Week 12 matchup vs the Bills. JTL kicks off at 5:30 p.m. from Detroit at Ford Field.
  • Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

DeVito’s Career Night in Midst of a Career Year

Posted by jlholt32 on December 20, 2012 – 6:11 pm

Updated, Dec. 21, 11:58 a.m. ET

Mike DeVito is about to wrap up his sixth season in the NFL.

He’s played in 80 career games and all 80 have been with the New York Jets.

He’s producing a career year in 2012 with a career-bests  60 tackles and a career-best 8.0 tackles for loss/no gain. He was also drew a holding call against Tennessee on Monday, the third time he was held this season, another career high. But it’s also the final year of his contract.

“It’s definitely strange,” DeVito said in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room after practice this afternoon. “I’m looking at it like nothing’s guaranteed. I mean, I have two games left and then I don’t know what’s going to happen next year. So I’m going to enjoy every minute I get a chance to be on this field, be with these guys and play in these last two games because you just don’t know.”

DeVito sure played like he was enjoying himself Monday night against Tennessee. In that game, he finished with a team-best eight tackles and two of his eight takedowns proved to be tackles for loss when Titans RB Chris Johnson was carrying the ball.

After one of those takedowns of Johnson, ESPN broadcast analyst Jon Gruden said of DeVito: “He’s an excellent football player. He can stuff the run.”

The performance also was the first time in a game in the past two seasons that DeVito led the Jets defense in tackles.

“I kind of took this mindset Monday I’m just going to go out there and have fun and enjoy it and enjoy this time,” No. 70 said. “I definitely was happy with that. Obviously [there are] plays I can get better at though, and I’m going to continue to try and get better each week.”

The tackle total at Tennessee wasn’t a season high for DeVito, but the number certainly caught head coach Rex Ryan’s eye.

“Mike DeVito. he had eight tackles — that’s impressive,” Ryan said at his news conference this morning. “When you watch that game, that might have been his top game since I’ve been here. He was absolutely tremendous.”

Twice this season DeVito recorded nine tackles, against the Dolphins in Week 3 and vs. Houston in Week 5.

“I feel confident out there,” he said. “I feel good and I feel like I can continue to get better. I feel like I haven’t peaked at my talent. I’m not satisfied.”

Except for the second quarter 94-yard TD run — on which DeVito may have been the only Jet to get a hand on Johnson  — he and his Jets defensive teammates contained the Titans’ star RB.

“That was so frustrating,” DeVito said of Johnson’s touchdown, “because when you look at the stats, I think it was 20 carries for 28 yards and then they had that one long run. But we can’t let that happen. That’s something we had talked about all week, going into the week, was you can have 20 carries for 28 yards but Chris Johnson can break that one. It’s frustrating, but we learned from it. We saw the mistakes and are moving forward.”

As the Green & White continue preparing for this week’s game against San Diego, DeVito said the Chargers’ offensive line might be the most physical bunch the Jets defense has faced all year.

“I really like their offensive line,” he said. “They’re tough up front. Every time we play against these guys it’s always a battle up front.”

Possibly a good sign for the Jets is that San Diego won’t have primary RB Ryan Mathews, who was placed on injured reserve Tuesday. However, DeVito doesn’t see Mathews’ absence necessarily working as an advantage for the Green & White.

“It will be a good challenge for us up front,” he said, “because when you have an offensive line like that, it doesn’t matter who’s back there.”

It will be the final home game of the season for the Jets at MetLife Stadium and DeVito states his family will be in attendance. But will he be playing in his final home game with the franchise? Only time can determine that answer.

“I’m a New York guy,” he said. “My family is over here and has been here for six years. Obviously I love this organization, and I love the people here, so we’ll see how it plays out.”

Thursday Injury Reports

TE Dustin Keller (ankle), S LaRon Landry (heel) and CB Aaron Berry (hamstring) were the three players who did not participate in team drills at today’s practice. G Brandon Moore (foot/hip) was a DNP Wednesday but was full-go today. Five Jets were limited: WR Braylon Edwards (hamstring), DT Sione Po‘uha (low back), LB Ricky Sapp (ankle), LB Bryan Thomas (chest), and WR Chaz Schilens (calf/knee), who didn’t practice a day ago. Fourteen players were full, including new listees K Nick Folk (back) and WR Mardy Gilyard (illness).

For the Chargers, LB Takeo Spikes (hamstring) and DT Aubrayo Franklin (knee) remained not practicing and LB Demorrio Williams (ankle) remained limited. Two players limited Wednesday, RB Ronnie Brown (hamstring) and LB Donald Butler (groin), were full today.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in John Holt | 68 Comments »

68 Responses to “DeVito’s Career Night in Midst of a Career Year”

1. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

DeVito has been an asset to the JETS on the field and off the field. In 2013 he will bring expierence to the team and help young players in every way to improve the Jets. There are several players I hope the JETS take an interest in, in the 2013 draft, and they are; Luke Joeckel of Texas A & M, also Sam Montgomery of LSU for defense. We definitly need an inside/outside RB Giovani Bernard of NC. There are a few other players I could name as I did before but this will do for now.

Sunday McElroy gets his shot at starting, I am anxious to see how he does. SO LETS ALL GET ON THE BANDWAGON and say “LETS GO JETS”…

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for BIG Changes on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, yeah, another guy the Jets shouldn’t overpay for or give more than a 2-yr deal. No one much over 25 on this team matters very much given the kind of housecleaning that’s needed and how long it’ll be — at least 2 yrs — till we’re a contender again. But DeVito’s a good guy and a hard worker, that’s for sure. He’s just not the kind of dominant, multi-dimensional player that we need to get to the Super Bowl again.

3. By MIKE on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

I would rather se McElroy at #1 and Sanchez at #2 next year than Sanchez traded with Vick #1.

A Mike Vick signing would be the icing on the cake for a dysfunctional organization.

4. By TONY GARCIA on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

JET FAN since 1969.
    Finally we may see the future Q.B. if o-line helps him out I think he will do fine.HELL as i said before if he would havebeen active monday he would have probably led us to victory D was playing really well. GO JETS.

5. By Bennett on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

I tell you one thing there will be alot of Jets fans that aren’t there glued to that ole color TV. Man do I wish the kid good luck… hope he hits it out of the park. Happy holidays to all the fans on the site, friends and foes alike… we may argue and even bash at times but after all we are all just Jets Fans and want the same thing..we just differ a bit now and than ( LOL ) on how it should be done.

6. By russ on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

Smart moves this off season can make excellent results for next year. First you cut Sanchez you lose 17 million in cap which means, no signing Reevis and his high contract, That may be a blessing, you can get a number 1 pick for 2014 draft and a 2 and 4 for this years draft,,there are many contenders in NFC who would pay that for him, That will allow rebuilding the OL with Guard and RT, releasing Scott, Pace and Ducasse and with those picks rebuild linbackers and running back with a wr, hopefully to replace Holmes in 2014…It would not bother me to see McKnight or Kyle Wilson leave as they do little for both offense and defense..

7. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for BIG Changes on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

Karan, this is from Greenberg’s column on this very site: “But the real issue was not Sanchez not being good with Tebow in his shadow. It was Sanchez not being very good. After a season charitably called inconsistent, he unequivocally proved it was time for the Jets to move on by throwing four mindless interceptions Monday night, even after being benched two weeks earlier for turning over the ball. He is an intersection without a yellow light and it is too dangerous to proceed. The dwindling playmakers around Sanchez are no excuse for repeated throws into coverage in his Year 4 as a starter. As the quantity of blitzes has picked up, his inability to read defenses has been crippling.” All of which was obvious long before last Monday night.

8. By Bennett on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

Giving the Jets a tip. There is a kid who will enter the draft in 2013. 5,10″ 210 lb running back named Miguel Maysonet. Recieved the Hansen award for best high school player in the county. Just finished runner-up as the best player in his division at Stony Brook. Only the 2nd player in Big South history with a 20 or more TD season, Division player of the year 2 seasons in a row. In his senior year in high school scored 33 TDs, 2328 yrds. Local Long Island kid that I have watched play since freshman year .He is great. A true hidden gem. He chose to play local, rather than a large school to be near family. This kid reminds me of a very young OJ same running style, same burst speed. He will go very high, get him. MIGUEL MAYSONET

9. By Bennett on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

If I can just say one more thing on Maysonet. Also selected to the Associated Press, Sports Network and Football Coaches Association, All American teams, offensive MVP award and offensive player of the year. Final season at Stony Brook had three 200+ yard games totaled. 1,964 yards tops in the division with 23 TD’s and lead the team to the playoffs. Will go 7th round or higher, grab him. Like I say been watching this kid from High School, runs with speed and power. Several teams have already been out to look at him.

10. By Another Tom on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

Devito is exactly thae type of player we need here..I hope the jets wise enough to re-sign Him. Feels like a breathe of fresh air now that the MS era is officially over. I think He’ll end up with one of the west coast teams..

11. By carl on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

Hey Randy! Can you do me and the rest of Jets nation a favor? Let ‘UPPER MANAGEMENT’ KNOW THAT WE WANT DEVITO BACK !!!! . He’s got a great motor and plays with a lot of heart!! What the Jets need!!! Rex dont blow this one,If your the head coach next year ?? I Was a huge Rex fan now I dont know? Mark had 1 good game ! Why such a huge contract? For what? He has not worked for it and it shows!! See what McElroy can do ? Next year have a ‘ True’ QB competion bring in another QB to compete and see how things shake down.GET RID OF TEBOW! NO VICK PLEASE!!! HAVENT JETS FANS HAD ENOUGH!!!!GO JETS!!!

12. By Byrdman on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

Mike DeVito is one of those solid blue collar football players that you need on your team. If they clean house in the off-season and decide to rebuild through the draft, DeVito’s experience will be a plus. I heard a potential trade involving the Jets that’s intriguing. Everyone knows Eagles will be coach shopping in ’13 – How do you like Jets sending Rex to Philly for draft picks ? Stranger things have happened! What does “Radar Nation” want – A TOTAL front office clean sweep -followed by unloading a bunch of veterans to make cap room? Or Do you think this team just needs to start G-MAC, retool with draft picks, a free-agent or 2 and we’ll be a contender next year? Blow the thing up or Tweek it?

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for BIG Changes on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

“You set your own standard to how you want to play. You set your own standard to how you expect your team to play and things like that,” McElroy said. “Coach (Nick) Saban always preached that. It’s not about the other team — it’s about the standard you set for yourself and how you want to live up to that standard. That’s always the most difficult thing.If your expectations for yourself are higher than the other expectations, then you can’t go wrong.” Nice start for the kid, coming on the heels of the Rex/Sanchez era in which the idea was always to pray for other teams to lose. If Mc plays half as well as he thinks, he deserves a shot at the job next yr. scjoe, I see no reason for Rex not to let the kid play, throw, lead, whatever he can do.

14. By The NEW Jets Are Here!! on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Unbelievable… Why didn’t Rex give Mac a shot after saving the season vs. AZ? “Woulda, coulda, shoulda” are the three saddest words in the world. I told you so” are the four saddest. Watch the entire team play their all-around best game in years against San Diego. McElroy is the all-time leading pass percentage AND lowest interception ranking in Alabama school history.

Destiny awaits us finally now as the Namath to McElroy baton will be passed.

HEADLINES
    JETS UN-CHARGE SD. McElroy Enjoys His First NFL Start and WIN comfortably.

For the time in years I don’t have to say “he didn’t just do that” or think “that didn’t just happen!” Miracle of miracles for the holidays. Hope is here!

0 turnovers + Time of Possess = WIN!! Rocket Science!!

15. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Seeing the Rays of the New Rising Sun on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

The Mayans were right in a way — with Mc taking all the 1st-team snaps this wk, the woeful, waffling world of “Mark’s the starter” is finally OVER! It’s so much more fun going on this site now, knowing that no matter happens the next 2 Sundays we won’t have to hear the same “I just have to play better/I just can’t make that throw/It was just a bad decision/Mark’s our QB and we believe in him” GARBAGE! Thanks to Randy and the staff for allowing for divergent, at times unpopular, and sometimes downright radical views on this site — according to McKnight, the 1st Amendment has once again played its intended role. And there’s lots more time to make your voices heard, folks, before we get the next GM, HC, and QB, not to mention draft picks…

16. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Seeing the Rays of the New Rising Sun on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

There’s one subplot I wouldn’t mind hearing more about it, though I know it’s not the job of the folks on this site to investigate it: What did Cro mean when he said he didn’t want to say anything after the TEN debacle because “I might tell you the truth”? Did he mean the truth that the D is finally fed up with an O that can’t score? A D that’s tired of playing for a HC who blames losses on them when they give up 10 pts, like when MIA beat us 10-6 2 yrs ago? This especially interests me because only a few wks ago Cro cursed out those who suggested Sanchez should be benched, saying “He’s our QB for the rest of the yr.” Oh well, fine with me that Cro and the Mayans are tied at 0-1 in the prediction biz…

17. By BillsJets on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Rex you always have that eyes glazed over look to you, like your in a dream world thinking that Sanchez is going to bring you to the promise land. Sanchez is my guy, he’s my starting QB, no doubt about it, Sanchez for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Rex, Rex, Rex wake up Rex, it’s Monday it’s time to practice to get ready for the upcoming game, Hello Rex. Man, what was i thinking, I just had a bad dream, McElroy should be our QB, thanks for waking me up from this horrible dream of making it to the Super Bowl with Sanchez as my starting QB. Lets’s go Jets!!! Let’s go McElroy!!!

18. By IRA on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Whoever is making the calls on personnel in 2013 better look long and hard at resigning DeVito. They can’t make the same mistake that was made in the past with J-Co, Ellis or several other veteran leaders. DeVito is a key cog to that locker room besides the player he is on the field. Knowing they asked him to take a paycut before camp this year is not a good sign. Hope his play this year has earned him a deal so he can finish his career a Jet which is well deserved. He would be one of the first players i would resign before free agency starts.

19. By Bennett on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

To the Jets scouts. “Hey we got a tip from Bennett on this kid Miguel”..”.Yeah we are aware of him he played at Hofstra and Stony Brook for— sakes, give me a break.”..Yeah but Wayne Cherbet played at Hofstra and the kid had offers from large schools “…” He’s omly 5’10” can’t play in the NFL”….” Have you seen him ?”‘….” nah not worth it heard he has small hands anyway”

20. By GaryC on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Frank,Joeckl will be a top tackle,I liken him to Thomas of the Browns,that is why the jets could be tempted to trade Ferguson to a team in the top five of draft and get some picks and maybe a player and move in Joeckl to right tackle.

21. By GaryC on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

sorry,to amend my last comment,Joeckl to left tackle,my bad.

22. By SCfromNY on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

DeVito is the type of player all winning teams need He plays all out and is the ultimate team player. The defense is in a so much better place than the O. My thoughts, similar to many, is we need a quality pass rusher, OLB, more than 1, resign Landry, hope that our 2 young safeties work out, and better depth at CB. I am not one who wants to trade Revis. I think the teams performance this year, his injury, and the way Cro stepped up will lessen his contract designs. These are not a lot of needs but not that difficult to achieve with a successful draft and quality Fas. There are 1000s of colleges. I am sure there are more potentially awesome players than the 224 drafted. Steal so of Pitts scouts they always seem to find undrafted stars.

23. By GaryC on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully next year the jets revert to a four three,seeing most of their talent is in the front,unless they get a stud outside backer who can rush the passer.

24. By jetsfan80 on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

DeVito is my type of player. He seems to be a man of good character that makes the team better just through his work ethic. I hope the Jets can re-sign him and keep him in the green and white. Talent is important, but character always trumps talent, in my opinion. A team of guys with good character give me someone to root for, even when the chips are down. Here’s hoping the Jets can bring in new (and keep existing) talented players with strong character as well. Side note…it looks like Coples is really beginning to make some strides. I’ve seen too many UNC games to not know what I’m talking about with this guy. To all those who called him a bust, mark it down…he will be a force on D for yrs to come. Rome wasn’t built in a day, fellas.

25. By the former ron alexander now Ronbo19 on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

JET FAN FRANK, Great point about Devito and I like Bernard too as he could be a difference maker on “O” for us. He is a potential home run hitter unlike anyone we currently have as he is fast,elusive and has good hands out of the backfield. I like Montgomery too & there are actuallyu 3 or 4 simular players at that posisition as well.Although I also like Joeckel i feel he may be a bit of a luxury pick as O.Tackles can be had in the 3,4th rds without paying a premium price. What I mean is if you pick a O.T in rd.1 he will get a big contract. If he turns out to be a stud he will get an even bigger contract when his original one ends.If you look at the Dolphins they will have to pay Jake Long a fortune to keep him as he is a free agent ?

26. By the former ron alexander now Ronbo19 on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

cont- As important as O.T’s are the jets need to bring in guys who can make a difference. Kind of like the Mets did bringing in a young catcher. A catcher that plays good defence and can be an offensive factor as well is a major plus for any team. As most teams have right handed Q.B’s the left tackle is entrusted to protect the Q.B’s blind side(as his back is turned to that side) This posisition requires a better more moblle athletic player as they usually face the opponents best pass rushers.Converesly, most teams deploy the tightend to the right side which makes that the strong side. Which is why they tend to run right more than left(more blockers).Thus the R.T is usually a bigger less athletic guy and its easier to find a guy like that.

27. By the former ron alexander now Ronbo19 on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

cont.- my long winded point is we already have a left tackl under contract so Joeckl as good as he is would seem like a luxury to me as the R.T posisition is easier to fill and thus cheaper alternatives can easily be found. (sorry Randy & Frank,I know I got way to technical!) We really need a big time play makeingW.R,
    a big time T.E (an emerging posisition in todays pass happy NFL) and Gary C pointed out a really good one the other day Zac Ertz from stanford. The kid is big 6-5, 260 and yet he is fast enough to line up at W.R and embarrass cornerbacks and saftys. He also goes up strong in traffic for the ball(and almost always comes down with it) and the kid plays with an attitude.!

28. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Seeing the Rays of the New Rising Sun on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

What bull about how ominous it is that Pettine has allegedly turned down a contract renewal! Running up D stats vs terrible teams and getting crushed by the good ones doesn’t mean a damn thing, and even in our better yrs under Rex and Pettine we’ve been shockingly porous on 3rd-and-long, including in the biggest games and the most clutch situations. I’ll be more than happy to see who a new HC picks as a DC and how much faster all these picks on D that have taken forever to show any results start paying off. Just say no to New York Jet loser sentimentalism over people who are doing an okay job at best but expect to be treated like champions!

29. By GaryC on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

It sure would have been nice to see McElroy play these games with a healthy Hill,Keller and Holmes,instead he is only playing with half the deck,still believe he can put on a good show seeing the chargers are out of it also,I mean what else can you look forward too.

30. By GaryC on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

This is the backward thinking of the jets,their offensive line is more finesse then power,yet they have no outside speed back,are we ever going to see Caleb Shladeraff who we got from a top notch organization like the Packers,so I figure the guy can play a little,Is Ducasse that much better then him.

31. By GaryC on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

As people are seeing,I am putting my rough draft list together already,Montae Ball,Luke Joeckl,Zac Ertz,Shareff Floyd,Cobi Hamilton.Google these names,anyone would be upgrades for jets.

32. By Karan on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Jetfan64, I most definitly understand what your saying, Mark Sanchez has not played good at all this season. I will say the exception was the season opener and the game at foxborough but thats beyond the point right now. Yesterday, I stated that I heard that reportedly he would be traded and now I read he is coming back. So I honestly don’t know what to believe, but what I do want to say is IF Mark does come back in 2013, he needs to step his game up big time but it will also help him big time if they get rid of Tebow, Matt Cavanaugh and find some more weapons. That means re-signing his old freinds in Keller and Edwards. However, I will agree with most of you that McElroy also needs to given a chance. The Jets should have the 2 young…….

33. By Karan on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

…….QBs compete for the starting job. Mark has messes up especially this last game which made even myself screaming at the television. If Mark does return next season, there should be competition between these 2 QBs, if anything, it will make them both better. But we never know what will happen, reports are sometimes false, sometimes true, don’t know if Mark is coming back at all. Heck, now Rex is “mum” on Sparanos future so I guess we’ll all see how things pan out. But me personally, I would like to see a Sanchez back because I believe he deserves at least one more shiot, just one and I would definetly like to see a new offensive QBs coach which shoulb benefit the QBs in 2013.

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Seeing the Rays of the New Rising Sun on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

russ, your posts have been great lately and I’ve been meaning to congratulate you on them. And yes, I was thinking last night that if no one will give us $2 or $3 million and even a low pick for Sanchez, I’ll bet you they cut him before June 1. What some of the pundits, and some of the cap specialists even on this site, don’t understand is that MS has become this franchise’s Marv Throneberry, the very sight of him in a Jet uniform is going to induce wisecracks and laughter from fans and commentators alike for yrs. Woody knows this which is why he’s moving very quickly to get MS out of here, get the taste of him out of fans’ mouths, and get them on to talking about another QB, whether it’s McElroy or some vet, probably not a high pick yet.

35. By Tom Spicer on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Randy, Do you know of any give aways the Jets are having for this weeks game? For example at the Pat game they gave Jet scarves to everyone.

36. By Randy Lange on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Tom, I don’t believe the Chargers game is a giveaway game. You can check the Gameday Guide for the game that was posted late Wednesday.

37. By IRA on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Would not be surprised to see DeVito with the Pats next year along with Greene or Keller. The Bears are another team i can see Keller going to. If Turner becomes the OC well then maybe they resign Keller he would fit his system very well.

38. By BillsJets on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, the last time I brought up that the JETs should go with 4 down linemen, I got shot down by about everyone that makes comments on this website, and now you are saying it, so it’s nice to hear someone feels the same way as me.

39. By tommyohio on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

first time i have been on here since week two………thank you to ever pulled the plug on Mark ……………finally !!!!!….lets go Mac …..now pull the plug on rex….dont wanna hear his garbage anymore

40. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

I would NOT follow a micheal vick – lead Jets team ..

41. By Rick Rosselli (Stayloaded) on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Good Luck McElroy, Play the Game like you know how, Have Fun Show them what you can do.

Go JETS

42. By SCfromNY on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Bennett, I think you are off the mark on Maysonet. I would imagine the Jets draft him 4th. He performs well in preseason but the Jets grab Tiki barber when he comes out of retirement, cut Maysonet, and the Pats pick him to play with Woodhead in the backfield. I beleive that Rex puts toether a decent D with Pettine. However, the inability to get off the field IMO relates to his plan which he doesn’t have the players he thinks he has. So when it comes to an important 3rd down and the offense kicks it up a gear the Jet D can not handle that extra push. That is why the D can control the oppossing team for 3 quarters but then fall apart. I like Rex but he should be on the same bus as Tanny and Sporano. With Pettine in Rex’s shadow hard to judge.

43. By MIKE on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

There is know way the Jets cut Sanchez and swallow a 17mil cap hit. Best trade chip the Jest have is Keller. Keller can flourish with 80+ catches in the right system and is probably worth a 2nd round pick. As far as trading Revis, thats a tough one. A huge difference maker on D but costs a lot of dough. Can’t see Jets parting ways with there best player even if they can get a 1st and 2nd round pick out of it. Remember that those picks usually end up being dud players when drafted by Jets organization. But if one of those picks is a Mo Wilkerson, than lets do it.

44. By MIKE on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Player to keep: McElroy, Brick, Slauson, Mangold, Howard, Holmes, Kerley, Hill, Powell, Hilliard, Mo, Devito, Coples, Harris, McIntyre, Davis, Revis, Cro, Landry, Bush, Wilson, Allen, Ellis, Cumberland

Players to go: Scott, Pace, Thomas, Bell, Ducasse, Greene, Tebow,

On the fence: Sanchez to go if traded, Good luck. Edward’s can return if cheap. Moore can stay if cheap.

Draft a pass rusher and a OL in 1st and 2nd round.
    Trade Keller for picks. Use that pick for a athletic QB or home run hitting RB.

45. By russ on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

The forgiveness I give to Michael Vick still doesnt allow me to endorse him as an NFL Quarterback on my sorry team. I know Woddy comes for a band aid company but this band aid won’t stick..So pls Jets (Woody) “no more tears”, stick to fundamentals and fans will come…

46. By BillsJets on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Why does everyone talk like, this Sunday will be McElroy’s moment, like it’s his only shot at playing, like somehow McElroy just became “Rudy”, I believe in McElroy to be the JETS QB from here on out and going into next season, not just to play against the Chargers, McElroy’s one big shot. Rex, you better play McElroy more than just this weekend. Let’s go Jets!!!

47. By GaryC on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Tom,no giveaways this weekend,the jets have been doing that all year,this weekend a win with no further inducements.

48. By GaryC on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

BillsJets,I see if you don’t have strong point of attack linebackers which the jets don’t have,I would rather have DeVito,Ellis and Harrison rotate next year,with Coples and Wilkerson at ends,Next year Davis could be the weakside backer to use his speed and Harris in Middle, and find another speed guy in the draft for the strongside linebacker.Just something to think about.

49. By Bennett on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

To the Jets… I already fully scouted this kid Maysonet for you. Don’t even bother, I know more about him than you will ever learn. Just trust me on this… draft him… give him a fair shot and watch out. You can thank me latter, don’t waste this late round pick on a scrub you know you will just cut. Listen to Bennett

50. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Seeing the Rays of the New Rising Sun on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Karan, if Sanchez hadn’t played so incredibly badly starting with the NE game, I’d be okay with him battling a few other QBs, including Mc, for the job next yr. But he’s become a complete joke, you simply can’t have a QB throwing for 27 yds in the 1st half vs the worst teams in the league and averaging a solid 1 and half turnovers per game over 2 yrs. Woody, who I believe is asserting himself now, has made clear that Sanchez and Tebow aren’t the answer; keep in mind that he wanted Mc to start after the AZ game but Rex “felt great about the decision to go with Mark.” Nope, it’s too late for MS on this team and I think it’ll be a yr or more before he surfaces significantly anywhere else. I also think it’s possible his NFL career is over.

51. By ive sufferd too long on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

bruce ariens for hc in 2013

52. By scjoe on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Ira, I could vision DeVito in NE in 2013, but NOT Greene or Keller, what do they possibly need them for?

53. By ive sufferd too long on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

my prediction is that ryan and pettine are back next yr but tannenbaum and sparano are gone.

54. By scjoe on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Everyone seems to be making their lists for next year, and although you can not even begin to talk about the draft until the juniors start declaring, here is a short list of my own. Rex remains HC, Omar Kahn GM (Steelers director) Norv Turner OC, competent QB coach. Either sign Mat Moore to compete with McElroy, or give up a #2 for Cousins, select high mid round QB and add him to the mix. Get whatever you can for Sanchez even if you have to pay half of his salary in 2013. Then, goodbye to Scott, Pace, Thomas, Tebow, E. Smith, Ducasse, and J. Smith. Extend Landry and Bell. I know it is little QB heavy, but that is # 1 priority

55. By fan '62 on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

You are all wrong guys. Sanchez is a”beast” as B Edwards has stated. If he is dealt somewhere else, he will come back to haunt you. His spirit, and youthful enthusiasm was crushed by the “idiots” upstairs (as the above philosopher also stated), being totally demoralized by the threat of benching in favor Tebow, the biggest waste of money since I became a Titans fan in ’62. I’m for going with Sanchez next year and dumping the GM and Sparano. Trust me guys, Sanchez will become a winner again with a decent cast of characters to protect him and WR’s who can hold on to the ball like in 2009 and 2010.

56. By realjetfan on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

next season seems like its going to be 2008 all over again

57. By punchie on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

Whats the peoples thoughts on NICK SABAN as HC next season reunite him with a QB that knows the system who can also be your inside guy in the locker room kind of like BART SCOTT was for REX when they both came over from the ravens the only difference would be that the uniteing would be on the side of the ball that counts. Would also give us a good advantage in signing past and present players from one of the most succesfull college programs in years including JESSE WILLIAMS ,if you like DEVITO you will recognise that this kid is DEVITO only younger. I know SABAN has given it a shot before and failed to rule the locker room but i think BIG MAC-ELROY would give him thet edge as our D already holds up there end ??????????..WHAT DO U THINK..?

58. By PIEMAN on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

HI to all , well it sure has been a bumpy ride , however I hope the jets brass don,t go and change everything just for the sake of change . keep rex and only if the right deal comes along, keep sanchez. We are not as bad as it seems , don’t panic but MIKE T. better get it right this time. I hope mac is the answer but two games is not enough to be sure about him .A good draft and a couple free agents would put us in a good spot. cleaning house would put us on a three year rebuild program and I can’t take another one of those,NOT AGAIN.. We are not too far from where we were two years ago. We are the best fans in the N.F.L and we deserve, after forty two years to have our turn at greatness.
    merry christmass

59. By AK_Jet on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

I think Karan’s true identity is Mark Sanchez.

60. By Karan on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

Yes, I am Mark Sanchez hahahaa.

61. By Karan on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

I agree with fan ’62. You are right on point.

62. By GaryC on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

I don’t care how well Landry has played,with his injury history you do not sign him to a big deal,the jets have to find the players who really want to be here,and not just for the paycheck.PLAY YOUNG,STAY YOUNG,the motto to live by.

63. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

alexander I feel Bernard will go in the 1st round. As for some of the offensive linemen I mentioned they will be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. But we have to be able to be in a position to have a 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. I am not a big believer in the “FREE AGENCY”, sure you get excellent players at a big price. The draft is the way to go…

64. By the former ron alexander now Ronbo19 on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

PIEMAN, Thank you for the holiday wishes and I like your optism. I wish I could share your opinions concerning Rex and the current talent on this tem but I dont think your gonna find a lot of people here that agree with you. First of all; the last thing anyone here wants is Tannenbaum makeing any more draft decisions. Are you aware that 5 of the 8 players drafted were initially cut from the team? a couple have been brought in due to injuries but really none of the picks has contributed much this year. While Coples has come on a bit lately his season has been below expectations for the #15 pick. #2 pick S.Hill(who we traded up for has been a complete disaster,#3 L.B Davis has potential but has shown little so far.Rex has been awful-

65. By the former ron alexander now Ronbo19 on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

cont.- in knowing whats happaning in his own locker room, the Q.B situation is a nightmare, and at this point he comes off as a phoney beaten pathetic man. So, I ask you, do you really believe what you posted above?
    Any, please have a wonderful holiday!

66. By Bitter Blinka on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

Fan ’62:

what is it that makes you say that after four years of bottom of the barrel stats? Tebow was not here those first three years.

67. By Byrdman on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

Here’s an interesting bleacher report with some revealing insight from a former Jet player>>http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1453228-how-the-new-york-jets-can-transform-from-a-joke-to-a-juggernaut<&lt; Ryan Riddle (author) doesn't strike me as bitter or axe-grinding in this blog. Seems to feel that Tannenbaum is not qualified to be GM – exactly what many of us have been saying here !

68. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

Today McElroy gets his chance and I hope he makes good…. Lets go JETS…