• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

STS*: Malone on Chargers, Curley, Christmas

Posted by Randy Lange on December 22, 2012 – 12:59 pm

We caught up with Jets punter Robert Malone in the locker room Friday. In his first season with the Green & White, the 24-year-old is on pace to break Curley Johnson’s franchise single-season records for gross and net punting average. Malone talked with us about the possibility of breaking those records, facing off against one of his former teams Sunday, and what the Christmas holiday means to him.

Sunday you’re going up against the San Diego Chargers, a team you previously spent a little bit of time with. What’s your mental outlook heading into this game?

I mean, it’s no different than any other game for me. I knew I wasn’t going to be there to beat out Mike [Scifres, the Chargers' long-time punter]. I played for Rich Bisaccia, who is the special teams coach there now. I played with him at Tampa. He brought me over there, and it was good. I appreciated the opportunity to get some film out there, but I approach it the same as any other game.

How much do you feel that short time playing alongside Scifres helped you?

The thing that benefitted me the most was just the pure competition. He has the highest hangtime in the league and that really helped me improve myself, just to be at that level. I didn’t want to be just totally outdone when I was there, so that constant competition really drove me.

Do you still keep in contact with him?

A few texts messages here or there, but not a lot.

Looking forward to seeing him Sunday?

Yeah, it’ll be good.

Assess your season overall. Would you say this is the best season of your NFL career?

Yeah, I would think so. I’m still getting more consistent as the year goes on. I’m trying to perfect my craft. But I do feel comfortable and it’s been a strong season so far.

Tell me your mental process each time before you punt the football. What’s are you thinking about?

Each punt is a different situation, different scenario. You’ve just got to win each situation and put your team in the best situation. Whether that means getting the ball off as fast as possible, or pinning them back deep, or if you’re directional -punting, spend some time kind of walking through like, “OK, what do I have to do here?” Given the different situations, playing that through my head, and just making sure we execute.

How do you feel like you’ve handled the cold weather so far because it seems like it hasn’t affected you too much.

It hasn’t gotten cold enough too fast, so I kind of got used to it. It’s kind of been a gradual thing. It’s not like it just dropped 50 degrees in one day. I’ve actually kind of got used to it now.

You’re on track to break two of Curley Johnson’s 1965 franchise single-season records in net punt average and gross punt average. Is that something you’re aware of?

I’ve heard about it. I try not to pay too much attention to it. A lot of things can happen. I mean, if these next two games we have to pin ‘em back deep and we have to kick a whole bunch of short ones, that kind of stuff, you just have to win each situation. So I’ve never really been focusing on “OK, I’ve got to break a record” or anything like that.

Your net average is 39.8, very close to reaching a 40.0 net for the season. Is having a 40.0 net average a goal you set for yourself before the season?

I would want to hit 40. Unfortunately, we had the two blocks and we would have been about 41. But it would be an awesome goal if we could reach that. There’s only two games left, so I don’t know if we’ll have enough just to bring up the average. But we’ll see. That’s definitely a goal I always wanted to hit, that 40 mark, because it’s not been done.

Would that mean a lot to you, though, if you were able to break those two team records?

It would be an honor. It’s not something that I’m solely striving for. I’m just trying to put the team in the best position each punt.

Christmas is just days away. What does the holiday mean to you and what’s the day going to be like for you this year?

Well, I’m a Christian and I’m excited to celebrate the birth of Christ. My wife gets to come up. She’s coming up today, actually. She lives back in California and she’s flying up today. I’m excited to see her. We’ll get to celebrate as a family.

*Special Teams Saturday

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in John Holt | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “STS*: Malone on Chargers, Curley, Christmas”

1. By scjoe on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

I think Malone has been “average” his stats indicate that, but I guess average is better then bad. I would add him to the vast majority of positions where an upgrade is necessary, but in his case, not a priority. The priority’s? QB, RB, OLB, safety (if both are not resigned) OL, WR, probably in that order. So, with Mike T as the GM we can expect, D line, K, CB, TE (probably 1st round) Unless Woody Johnson wakes up from his 4 year nap.

2. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

Good thing we have a good punter ,….with all the 3 and outs The Jets put out there …

3. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

Woody hire Parcells . Shake things up . Or the only fans will be the crickets …

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Seeing the Rays of the New Rising Sun on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

It’s amazing Malone’s numbers are so good with 2 blocks. Another example of Westhoff, who saved McKnight and Kerley from Rex’s doghouse, having a better eye for talent than his boss. Conversely in personal terms, look what Trevor Pryce says about Rex, exactly as many of us have suspected:
    “Pryce was complimentary of Ryan, saying he is a hard worker and one of the best human beings in the league. But Pryce noted staying with Mark Sanchez too long, hiring a friend who knew nothing about the defensive line to coach the Jets’ defensive line and his reluctance to fire Brian Schottenheimer as examples of Ryan’s flaws.” Nice guy perhaps, lousy HC for sure.

5. By Bennett on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

Daily news article on how to fix the Jets. WHAT A JOKE Go throught all the idiotic contracts T-baum has done You know how an awfull benched QB due to make 8,25 million with a nice 17 mil cap if you try to get rid of him. Also the idiotic contract for Holmes… the go on and on.. then end up saying the Jets shouild KEEP HIM. Not a mention of the Hunter fiasco, or the horrible team depth, or his non solution for the WR problems… you all heard it before. This is why I say the pundits are idiots. The Daily News guy who wrote this simplistic essay in the prose of a 7th grader is a total Idiot, that attempted to write something on a subject he never researched and knows little about, This is what we got telling us what to think.

6. By BillsJets on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

Let’s paint New York city green or wait do we need Bloomberg’s permission. Come on Jet Fans, we weren’t able to paint any other city Green.
    Let’s go McElroy!!!

7. By since shea on Dec 22, 2012 | Reply

Not sure Norv would come here as OC. Wasnt he insulted by Rex a year or two ago where Rex actually apologized? Not enough offensive talent here anyway. Baltimore would be the fit for him. And another thing, why is the majority of the pundits you hear in the media all saying that McElroy cannot be a starter or “is not the answer” or “next years starter isnt on the team right now”. WHY? What do they know about Greg that we dont? Has anyone really seen enough of him to judge? Why cant he become the real deal? Is Russell Wilson in Seattle that much better? Good luck to him Sunday. And Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to you Randy and all of the Jets brethren on this site. Thanks for providing this medium to vent.

8. By punchie on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

NICK SABAN ANYONE ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????REUNITE HIM WITH, G – MAC

9. By punchie on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

Oh yeah go you red rooster … G – R – E – G………..GREG…..GREG…..GREG

10. By Frank on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

Some preliminary thoughts on a new regime next year. As I said since the end of last season Rex is a horrible HC but a very good DC with that in mind if the Eagles fire Reid Woody should hire him and make him and Ryan both HC’s to placate Ryan and hire a solid personal guy to run the organization. There is no one better than Reid in developing QB’s and running an offense his success was directly tied to Jimmy Johnson a great defensive coach. Reids problem is a lot like Rex in that his teams have performed poorly since he lost JJ. If Woody can get both on the same page I think that combination could very extremely effective. The key would be hiring the right personal guy.
    Option 2 is for Woody to go hard after Sean Payton and clean house.

11. By Frank on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

The Jets must keep Devito he is exactly the selfless role player that turns teams into champions. Pouha is done they need to release him and save a ton of money. It is clear Ellis is another draft bust and not the answer in the middle. Slauson is another one of those type of players. Hardnosed and a solid player Ducasse is another absolute bust. The salary structure on the Jets is a disaster and so badly skewed to a few players its handcuffing the organization. I have been pointing these things out for years and its caught up to them.

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Saying Give Greg a Chance on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

Now ESPN’s Johnette Howard sees through stuff that some of us did almost 2 yrs ago. What is it about these female sportswriters getting it quicker than the male ones? ” 1 -The ground-and-pound attack that Ryan hoped to revert to is a dinosaur offense, and Shonn Greene isn’t the sort of franchise back you can pin that on anyway. 2 -Tebow is not an NFL-level passer. Even some of his admirers among the Denver Broncos confirmed it. 3 -The way to light a fire under Sanchez wasn’t to lavish an extension on him once Tebow arrived. It was to push him and make him sweat before deciding if he earned the big payday that is now handcuffing the Jets.” As many of us have said all along…

13. By Byrdman on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

I like Malone, hope we can sign him long-term. Scott was talking about signing for less money, OK how about minimum wage Bart, what about coaching up your’e replacement? This game has evolved into more wide open passing and you just can’t cover anymore Bart. Jets desperately need speed at LB next season, straight ahead speed and lateral acceleration. My Xmas wish is a new OC and a pair of F-A-S-T OLB’s.
    I truly hope everyone here on Randy’s Radar has a safe, wonderful and blessed Christmas with your family, friends and loved ones :D
    ~Byrdman~

14. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

We gotta keep Revis , Braylon Edwards , and Keller …Those guys we build around ..Get rid of Santonio , He is cancerous .We need a top quality reciever . We need a top quality tight end to add with Keller . We need a new QB .Trade Sanchez and Tebow .. We need a smart QB . Someone young . And a new set of coaches . And a new GM ..,

15. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

Lose out the rest of the season so we can get a better draft pick …

16. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

I am watching the first quarter …It’s total wildcat desperation ..What a circus..

17. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

Matt Lienhart is a great QB . We could get him . He was better than Sanchez . Of course we still need some blocking .

18. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

1st quarter …..McElroy looks good . He is smart . He’s getting rid of the ball quick …Braylon looks great ..

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Saying Give Greg a Chance on Dec 23, 2012 | Reply

Frank (and Ira), you might remember last off-season when Ira was saying it was great that the Jets gave Pouha a big multi-yr deal, and I said no one his age and his ability should get more than a cheap 1-yr deal. The rich deal Pouha got was just more Mr T nonsense. 40 yr fan, I thought the same thing re the Wildcat, it’s as if Rex and Sparano said to each other, “Now, the 2 most important things we need to find out about Greg is if he can hand off to Greene for 2 yds up the middle and if he’s okay coming out of the lineup for the Wildcat.” But I’ll save my full assessment for Randy’s first-post game story. For now all I’ll say is anything that highlights why Mr T and Rex must go and helps us pick higher in the draft is fine with me!