• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 2:15 PM - 2:30 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:25 PM - 1:40 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will address the media following practice.
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game

Rex Was ‘Mad as a Hornet’ at News Story

Posted by Randy Lange on December 28, 2012 – 3:09 pm

Rex Ryan refers to his last news conference of the work week jocularly as “Fast Friday,” since the Q&A session is normally a bit shorter and lighter than the Wednesday or Thursday sessions.

Today was a changeup. Maybe “Fast Yet Furious Friday.”

“There was a report this morning that was untrue,” Ryan told reporters at the top of his afternoon news conference regarding a Daily News story under the headline that Ryan “would welcome firing if Gang Green fails to make over offense.”

“I was disappointed and quite honestly mad as a hornet.

“The fact is, and it’s simple, this is the only team I want to coach, period. Anybody who knows me knows I’m telling the truth. Has it been perfect? No. Would I like this player or that player? Sure, anybody would. But this is my team, these are my players.”

The coach was irritated over several issues. It was stated in the story that “Ryan declined comment about his future when reached by The News,” although Ryan said, “When I had a conversation with this reporter, it wasn’t reported that way in the article, and the headline reads a certain way.”

The coach also disputed the impression provided through quotes from unnamed sources that he was trying to influence owner Woody Johnson into a particular endgame scenario after the season concludes at Buffalo on Sunday and that he might also be trying to set up a landing spot with another team.

“I called Mr. Johnson as soon as I read the article,” Ryan said. “I let him know that absolutely, 100 percent is not my intention, no way in heck. I’m not putting an ultimatum to this man that hired me, no chance.

“This is his football team. I take it as my team, the guys I coach, the football part of it, that’s how I approach it. But at the end of the day, it’s Mr. Johnson’s team. I feel honored he hired me to do a job. I’ve told you from day one what an opportunity I had. This is the fact — I always wanted to be a head coach, but to be the New York Jets head coach, it’s unbelievable.

“The Jets were the first professional team my dad ever coach, eight years. This was my team growing up. The fans, I identify with that because I was one of them also. Now I’m the head coach of their football team, too.

Ryan said he also spoke to the team this morning about the story, “probably a little more passionate, emotional or whatever you want to call it” than he was speaking to reporters. He said he brought the matter up on all these fronts to make sure his perspective on the subject is heard.

“I want to be the Jets head coach for the next 15 years. And there’s probably a lot of fans out there that hope that isn’t the case, but I’m just telling you from my heart that this is the job I’ve always wanted and that’s it,” he said. “I just wanted to make sure everybody understood how I feel about this team. I don’t want to go anywhere, I don’t want to coach anywhere but the New York Jets, period. I want everybody to know it.”

Look Ahead at the 2013 Sked

Each NFL team’s schedule for the following season is always known by the end of the final game of the regular season, and that’s the case again this year. Almost all of the Jets’ 2013 opponents are set. Ahead of Sunday’s full slate of games, here’s how the ’13 sked is shaping up:

Opponents Already Determined: Home — Buffalo, Miami, New England, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Tampa Bay. Away — Buffalo, Miami, New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina.

Opponents Yet to Be Determined: Home — AFC West. Away — AFC South.

The Jets play the team in the South and the team in the West that finish in the same standings spot in their division as the Jets finish in the AFC East. The Jets will come in either second or third. They would be second with a win over Buffalo and a Miami loss to New England because they would then finish tied with the Dolphins at 7-9 and would have the edge based on better division record than the ‘Fins (3-3 to 2-4). The Jets can’t finish fourth even with a loss to the Bills because then, even though both would be 6-10, the Jets would still get third place based on better record in common games (6-8 to 4-10).

So where the Jets finish will determine whether they will travel to the second-place Colts or the third-place Titans, and whether they will host the second-place Chargers or the third-place Raiders.

We’ll have those questions answered late Sunday afternoon, shortly after the end of the Jets-Bills and Dolphins-Pats games, both kicking off at 1 p.m. ET.

Friday Injury Picture

The big injury news for the Jets today was that DE Muhammad Wilkerson (concussion/knee) practiced full today and is being listed as probable for the Bills. Also, CB Ellis Lankster (concussion) was limited and is questionable for the game. There was no change in QB Greg McElroy’s concussion situation. McElroy is listed as doubtful but Ryan has said he’s not playing and that Mark Sanchez will start.

TE Dustin Keller (ankle), WR Chaz Schilens (knee) and LB Bryan Thomas (chest) all didn’t participate at today’s practice and are also doubtful, and WR Braylon Edwards (hamstring/knee) was limited and his game status is also questionable. The other 18 Jets were all full-go and are probable for the Bills.

Buffalo’s report lists three players ruled out for the game: DE Mark Anderson (knee), starting TE Scott Chandler (knee) and S Da’Norris Searcy (groin). Nine of the 11 other injured Bills were limited at today’s practice in western New York but are listed as probable, including seven starters: LB Nick Barnett (knee), S Jairus Byrd (ankle), G Andy Levitre (knee), RB C.J. Spiller (shoulder), DT Kyle Williams (ankle), DE Mario Williams (wrist) and C Eric Wood (knee).

Tags: , , , , , , ,

39 Responses to “Rex Was ‘Mad as a Hornet’ at News Story”

1. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for This to Get Interesting on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

By the way, that unfinished schedule next yr is already no picnic! I count 7 or 8 pretty certain losses at the very least if our team isn’t made markedly better and maybe more than that if MIA keeps getting better. Damn right you better ask for an upgrade on O, Rex!

2. By SCfromNY on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

As an EX REX fan I would not mind his firing if a viable alternative was chosen. We need to stop the “name coaches” that live in the same decade with Rex. Someone mentioned Cowher and Singletary. Singletary was a complete bust and with a new coach his team went from losing to a playing for the right to be in the SB. If you listen to Cowher you hear Rex grounding and pounding. I loved Parcells but think that his football “desire” is gone. scjoe, I usually agree with your posts BUT you are also talking about a quick fix. We do not have the finacials in 2013 to sign many players never the less of the quality we need. Dump and eat the big contracts and suck for draft choices in 2014. BTW I feel Keller can leave with the other offensive losers.

3. By SCfromNY on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Much has been said about a GM being reluctant to come aboard with Rex as coach. Tell Rex he can become the leagues best paid DC or he will be fired. I am sure any GM could live with that.

4. By MIKE on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

This team is such a mess. So tired of Rex’s predictions, the best Jets team he’s had and Sanchez a franchise QB. What a joke. If Rex could just keep his mouth shut than please stay and coach the Jets.

Ultimately the free agent frenzy of 2008 and 2009 when players such as Faneca, Jenkins, Pace, Scott, Holmes, Woody, LT, and Taylor and poor drafting was the demise of this team.

Faneca and Woody were temp fixes.
    Scott and Pace fad both peaked and were on the downside of there careers.
    Holmes is a headache.
    Taylor was on his last leg.
    Jenkins was a bandaid.
    LT was a 30+ RB.

Only Wilkerson and Slauson, have been solid picks wince 2008. Jury is out on Davis, Elllis, and Powell.

I guess this falls on Mr.T and the drafting of players.

5. By Karan on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Anonymous bashings, false reports and other reports saying players and coaches hate other players like Tebow, time for a QB change in Sanchez, sarcastic comments by the media, people laughing at the Jets, Yes, the Jets brought this upon themselves but hot dang, there are media members out there who really really hate the Jets.

6. By Karan on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

And yes. please no Clinksacles for however you pronounce his name. We need new people, SMART people to run this thing. Maybe a new owner is needed too.

7. By Karan on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

As much as I want Mark to have a strong game this Sunday and as much as a good history he has against the Bills, I wouldn’t be surprised if he completely blows the game away. Guy has absolutely no more confidence. It’s sad but I hope the best for him.

8. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Hopeless , desperate , not good chemistry ,not tough enough , holes everywhere , not smart ,Bad decisions on draft day ,, very bad at basic fundamentals …These are the things that best describe the situation …

9. By Bennett on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Spicer I don’t recall ripping into you over the Landry signing.That being said I do remember you and some others were for the deal. I was against it. I like to be wrong in a case like this. It was a pleasant surprise the way it turned out. I do have some knowledge of the injury Landry suffered and for him to not only recover but play at that level, without surgery,is pretty remarkable. Take my word for this. I mean when the signed the deal and T-baum said it would be a challange for him to be ready for opening day I remember thinking YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

10. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Our offense is dreadfull ..We can’t run a screen pass ? There is 0 blocking .Our O line is terrible , It used to be the best . We don’t win at the line of scrimmage . We don’t have the proper weapons . Although getting Braylon back was a step in the right direction . There is bad chemistry . We need a few running backs , we need another good tight end , we need recievers . It is pretty easy to understand why we don’t win ..

11. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Our offense can’t get the snap off properly . QB turns the wrong way for handoffs , People are running into each other ..Sanchez doesn’t put his thumbs together when taking the snap . It looks like dumb , and dumber out there …

12. By Barker on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Now Rex knows how Tim feels after the FALSE reports about him…

13. By kw65fan on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Randy denied my posting in prior blog…so here it goes again since this blog is more updated. People…who wrote this article…the same guy with un-named sources last year…also un-named sources this year about Tebow…and now more un-named sources about Rex. This guy Munish or whatever his name is …is nothing of a fabricator of stories. How the News even lets this guy to write for this rag paper isbeyond me. Stopped long time ago in reading the News and Post because of there inadequate reporters. He should go write for the Enquirer with all there gossip garbage. Only reliable news stories come from Randy and Eric. i can just see it…Munish passing notes in the bathroom stall at the NEWS with his un-named source…such a waste.

14. By jets80 on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Yes, Rex, your O better get fixed for next year with some creative workings by whoever is in charge!!! This had to be the worst offense the Jets have ever had and that is including the years with Kotite who was a clueless head coach.
    Probably Sanchez will be back because of $ so you better find him some protection, receivers who can actually catch the ball and more team speed!!!
    If not, a short season again!!!!

15. By GaryC on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Rose Bowl this week,Stanford against Wisconsin,Zac Ertz against Montee Ball,will decide between the two who I want jets to select,By the way,this year has proven to Rex,with teams like the Seahawks and Colts making playoffs,that starting and playing young players isn’t a detriment to your team.As Pete Carroll says,I play the young players until they prove they cannot play,Unlike Rex who says I play the veterans until AARP kicks in.

16. By the former ron alexander now Ronbo19 on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

64, As we almost certianly will have Sanchez back next year because of the salary issues I’m not terriable concerned with next years record. I’d actually prefer we stink as with a new G.M. picking the players 2 good drafts can make a big difference.The jets are kind of in the same conumdron as the Mets. Bad contracts on the books for 2013 but lots of relief for 2014. Unlike everyone else I am not convinced there are no franchise Q.B’s in this draft and I believe the coming months will reveal a change in peoples opinions as well. We shall see!

17. By GaryC on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Joe,this was from a previous post,that comment I made was made facetiously about the jets looking for an average quarterback,WE ALL KNOW THEY NEED SOMEONE BETTER,and please Eli has a long way to go before he becomes a first ballot hall of famer,there are greater players then Eli who never got in the first time,and by the way,one other comment on listing all the super bowl quarterbacks in the hall of fame,just check the listing of all their teammates who also are in the hall of fame,Like Bradshaw,many teammates in hall,Starr,many teammates in hall,same with Staubach,Griese.YOUR RESEARCH NEEDS TO GO A LITTLE DEEPER.

18. By scjoe on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

MANISH MEHTA…HIS NAME IS MANISH MEHTA…Hate all this misspelling! Randy, you need a spell check for KW65FAN (sarcasm) Boy, if that aint the pot calling the kettle black I don’t know what is!!! Geez

19. By scjoe on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Back to reality, SCNY, I am NOT talking about quick fix’s. Getting a quality OLB in the draft, or getting a quality QB in the draft, maybe high mid rounds, or getting a quality RB “in the draft” can hardly be called a quick fix. The only quick fix I had in mind was Matt Moore who would be a major upgrade to what we have now, “IF” he is able to beat out that high mid round pick. By the Way, Moore is only 28 years old. As for the finances? As I posted earlier, it will not be the problem some may think. They can cut nearly 30 mil from the cap total easily.

20. By bigherb on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

I have been a Jets fan since Broadway Joe was Jets quarterback

there is no doubt about it the owners need to come up and open up their pocketbook to get the team to players they need.

We need new players both offenses in defense, there are players we have now there are just worn out.

As far as our quarterback position, the offense line plays a big part in a quarterbacks performance. And this offensive line needs to be overhauled

it may come down to rebuilding the whole team from scratch. We will never get to a Super Bowl with what we got now without changes.

One of the biggest things we can do is to re-placed the offense of coach. To many bad decisions on that end.

21. By scjoe on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

40 year fan, it really is not as bad as all that. Imagine the team with just a few changes, a quality OC, a quality QB and RB, a quality pass rusher and a new GM with some direction to accomplish those few things. Because that is all it would really take to make this team competitive once again. Look at Indy, with just adding that quality QB and a “decent” draft they went from bottom dweller to the playoff’s in one off season. It can be done.

22. By scjoe on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

GaryC, why the need for another 5’11” 212 lb RB who runs somewhere in the 4.5 range? We already have one or two of those in Shonn Greene and Powell. The one thing this team needs desperately (aside from a QB) is a RB who can get to the outside and break a long one from anywhere on the field once he gets in to the open field. Neither Greene, Powell OR Montee Ball fit that description.

23. By GaryC on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe,one of Ball’s strong suits is that they say his vision is exceptional,something some of the jets backs are lacking,I am not saying he would be my first pick,Ertz might intrigue me more being 6’6 and 250 with great hands.

24. By Jet Fan Since '64 Living My Nightmare on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

The Jets are now ruining my sleep for the first time since the Kotite era. Last night I dreamed that the QB they decided to bring in to “push Mark” was…Charlie Whitehurst! (And that was without even hiring Norv!) But here’s the best news until Monday, from Cimini: “Ryan hasn’t received a vote of confidence, publicly or privately, from Johnson, according to sources. Johnson hasn’t been seen around the facility as much as usual, fueling speculation within the building. Everyone is in the dark, waiting for Johnson to do something — or nothing at all. Ryan’s “head is spinning,” according to a person who knows him. He faces so much uncertainly, now and in the future.” Hopefully you’ll find certainty on the way out the door on Monday, Rex!

25. By Jet Fan Since '64 Living My Nightmare on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Ronbo, you and I are posting on this site instead of interviewing with Woody now because we can’t figure out how to get rid of Sanchez without losing a lot of money but a new GM can. Don’t take this too personally but this is a part of the loser mindset I’m always talking about — we’re screwed no matter what happens, everything’s written in stone, etc. As GaryC pts out above, SEA and IND showed in 1 YR that it doesn’t have to be this way, and no one looked more hopeless last off-season than the Colts. A new owner could instill a new mindset fast but for now we may have to settle for changes at every spot but that. But don’t tell me we’re hopelessly stuck with Mr T, Rex, Sanchez, and all these other losers. Hilarious about the AARP, GaryC!

26. By Jet Fan Since '64 Ready for the Dream on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

But Joe McKnight might fit that description, scjoe, if Rex had any sense of how explosive you have to be on O these days. What kills me about Rex is that he’s got one of the slowest learning curves of any HC I’ve ever seen. He can watch Spiller and Johnson tear it up against us with the kind of speed at RB that we need so desperately, and the next day he’s right back at it raving about some non-entity like John Conner and comparing him to Jim Brown or Jim Nance…

27. By kw65fan on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

LOL…Touche’ scjoe…But still the man writes garbage…has nothing better to do…shouldgo back in writing about soccer or cricket….I’m sure he’ll find a lot of dirt there with his he said..she said garbage that he writes….

28. By MickeyT on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Look, Sanchez will be the starter come next year. They will find, not draft, a semi-decent free agent QB as a third string mentor and G-Mac will back up. Tebow is obviously gone. As far as RB’s, they will have to teach Powell how to catch the damn football and use Greene as the 3rd down back and for short yardage. For WR’s they will keep Edwards, Kerley and Holmes. If Keller ever gets healthy again, the Offense could actually be above average…AS LONG AS WE CHANGE THE O-LINE. And it’s not the entire line either. RG should be priority. On Defense, we could actually use a young fast LB and a DB. Get rid of Wilson. Trade him if you wish. If only they could find that gold nugget of a QB this draft…

29. By Nick on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

We will be mad as a hornet if Rex, Tony, Tannabum and sanchez return next year! It will be the first year as a Jets fan since 1978 that i will not watch or follow the team i grew up with as a child. i might just start looking at other teams to root for in the future because i was not happy that you kept the team in New Jersey in the first place. Actually the Jets and Giants should be called the New Jersey Jets and Giants, so we can get a new team for New York area that’s in New York. At least the Giants win and have a respectable and likable QB and coach. Truly Sad, Mr. Johnson

30. By nick on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Rex’s statement:

This is the only team I want to coach: Of course since he has proven his ineptitide
    to the entire NFL establishment. 2 This is my team: Yes, no argument here we all know how good they are. 3 These are my guys that I want to coach and no others: “Coach”? Now there is a stretch. How does he have the temerity to categorize his abilities in this vein? 4 This story was completely untrue: I haven’t seen or read it but given his pomp and circumstance arrogance can anyone really not believe the story? 5 I called Mr Johnson and told him I didn’t say those things: Close call but I did get to keep my job cause Woody just doesn’t get it and I convinced him to disregard everything that has transpired under my helm. What a sweet gig!

31. By nick on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Last comment; Rex has 2 years remaining on his contract and Woody may have a problem eating that. So, keep Rex as Head Coach and bring in Sr Head Coach/Director. Rex can stay on the sideline and manage the new guys head set line. Before you know it, the resignation is on Woody’s desk and the moolah is saved.

32. By Whatchmacallit on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

I hope that Rex Ryan sticks with Sanchez as the starting quarterback for the Jets. So do all of the other NFL teams like that idea. Sanchez deserves the chance to prove he is a better quarterback then what we have seen so far. I’d say give him until 2020 to prove himself.
    As a matter of fact, I would say the Jets should keep Rex Ryan that long too.

33. By Charliejet on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

scjoe you’re right about Greene lacks any type of lateral vision. “North,South” runner that trips over his own feet.

34. By Mike C (fan since '69) on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

Jets Thank You Notes (apologies to Jimmy Fallon)…
    Thank you… for trading up in the 2009 NFL draft to get a QB and signing him to one of the larger contracts in franchise history, all to have him be a potential 3rd string bench warmer in his 5th year on the team.
    Thank you… for all the laughs this season, there’s no “i” in team but there is an “i”
    in comical and unbelievable.
    Thank you… for providing Merriam-Webster with a new word, “buttfumble”.

Happy New Year Jet Nation!!!

35. By 40 year fan , John on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

Scjoe , It may seem like we could make some positive changes . But we really have alot of holes . Like everywhere you look . Westoff is retiring . That will put the kabash on special teams . We don’t have a decent O line . We will be without an Offensive coordinator . The head coach is probably fired . No running back to speak of . Dustin Keller wants out . I can’t envision a worse situation …than now . I suppose obama could take over the jets ..

36. By scjoe on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

64, I’m afraid we will never know if McKnight fits that description, the guy just can not stay on the field, you know, like Schilens? You can’t blame Rex Ryan for either.
    40 year fan, trust me, with the correct FO moves they can turn it around in the off season. If the GM and FO staff remain status quo, all bets are off. GaryC. I will wait for a couple of the juniors to declare before I say anything about this years class of RBs.

37. By nick on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

If Rex stays then all of those die hard Jets fans should show Woody what they think of his decision. Empty seats speak the loudest, Up until 2 weeks before Sanchez blew up he was still being touted as a quality quarterback compared to Marino and Manning. and, Rex as a winning coach… What were they smoking??
    As for how to get rid of Sanchez, why is everyone so concerned? Woody gave him a sizeable bump with his contract extension and here is Sanchez who probably doesn’t care which way the wind blows cause he’s pocketing some serious coin. Wipe the slate cleanand the fans will accept that, how much worse can anyone else do?

38. By nick on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

I haven’t heard what Rex’s post game comments were but my closing comment tonight is to all those Rex/Sanchez supporters out there: If you owned a business and brought in a manager who proceeded to lose money at the gate and make your business the butt of professional sports internationally, would you continue to support that manager?

If the answer is “yes” then you deserve what you got and what you might be getting more of next year.

If the answer is “no” then AMEN! Corporate CEOs get hefty severance packages every week of the year and many of them aren’t responsible for a bottom line as big as the Jets’

39. By JJ Soucy on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

I am a Jets Fan and have been faithful since 1983. I am also a fan of Sexy Rexy, in my mind after Leon Washington Broke his leg and the Jets not resigning him after all he done for the team was the beginning of the end. There were players not signed,released traded away and then traded for that clearly show somebody was sabotaging the team to clearly come to were we are today