• Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Thu., Sep. 25, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 26, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

Cro, Landry in the Warmth; Big Games in the Cold

Posted by Randy Lange on January 28, 2013 – 10:43 am

Our congratulations one last time to Antonio Cromartie and LaRon Landry for their participation in Sunday’s Pro Bowl at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu.

Of course, it was a long Hawaiian afternoon for anyone associated with the AFC’s pass defense as the Nationals racked up 420 passing yards, six TDs to one INT and a Pro Bowl-record 62 points in the pullaway over the Americans. But Cro and LaRon, playing as secondary backups and on special teams, did make their positive contributions as well in the annual all-star game.

Cromartie had three first-half solo tackles in the game. The first came after a 5-yard first-quarter reception by none other than Giants WR Victor Cruz. The others came after receptions by Vincent Jackson and Larry Fitzgerald.

Cro also had an offside on a field goal attempt that wiped out an AFC interception-return TD, but that sounds a little more devastating than it was. He was premature in timing the field goal snap on the first play of the fourth quarter. NFC holder Thomas Morstead, with No. 31 closing in, picked up the snap and tried to pass to eventual Pro Bowl MVP Kyle Rudolph, but Eric Berry picked the pass and took off for an 86-yard score.

Cromartie also couldn’t handle a kickoff-return pitch from Joshua Cribbs late in the third quarter, with the fumble being charged to Cribbs and the NFC recovering at the AFC-11 to set up the above nullified field goal. But Cro also later took a lateral from C.J. Spiller on another kickoff return for 23 yards to start the drive that ended with A.J. Green’s third TD reception and the game’s last score.

Landry had one solo tackle, also after a Cruz catch, but otherwise had a low-key game.

Hot and Cold

The weather was a cloudy, breezy 78° for the Pro Bowl, a far cry from this morning in North Jersey, where it’s 28, snowing and with the threat of freezing rain continuing through midday. Last Friday it was 7° in the neighborhood surrounding the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center, and after a brief spring fling Wednesday with temps expected to rise to 60, it’s back into the freezer into and through Super Bowl Sunday.

Which naturally raises the question about the weather exactly a year from now, when the first outdoors Super Bowl in the Northeast will be played at MetLife Stadium. The NFL and the region did a little preview of Super Bowl XLVIII last week but what about snow, freezing rain, winds?

What about the cold? Let’s start with that. It seems Commissioner Roger Goodell and the league are embracing a cold-weather game most of all. It would harken back to the good old days of NFL championships on “the frozen tundra.” Here are the “unthawed three” big games in league history, along with some coincidental notes on wind-chill at each of the games (home teams in CAPS):

Dec. 31, 1967 — PACKERS 21, Cowboys 17, Lambeau Field.

Temp: –13° F. Wind: 14.5 mph. “Old” Wind-Chill: –48.

“The Ice Bowl” has always been the NFL’s cold standard, the game when officials shouted rather than tweeted so their metal whistles wouldn’t bond to their lips, a fan in the stands died of exposure and several players were treated for frostbite. The agreed-upon temp at the 1 p.m. CST kickoff has always been minus-13, may also have been at the end, and so it is altogether appropriate that Packers QB Bart Starr sneaked over the goal line with 13 seconds to play for the TD that won the NFL’s ’67 championship.

The 48-below-zero wind-chill is also legendary, although the National Weather Service switched to a more scientific and realistic wind-chill equation in 2001. In NOAA’s online feature on the game, the “new wind-chill” for the game was –36° at kickoff, and during the game it ranged from –37 to –33, getting slightly “balmier” in the third quarter.

Jan. 10, 1982 — BENGALS 27, Chargers 7, Riverfront Stadium.

Temp: –9°. Wind: Northwest, 20-35 mph. “Old” Wind-Chill: –59°.

“The Freezer Bowl” was the quintessential game demonstrating that West Coast teams don’t like traveling to the frozen Midwest/Northeast. This AFC title game has always been held up as the wind-chill winner at –59, but that had to be taken near the opening kickoff with a 27-mph wind gust. NOAA’s readings from the nearby Cincinnati airport showed temps rising slightly and the winds staying steady at 23 mph. Translated to the “new” readings, the wind-chill that day fluctuating between –37 and –23. Not cold enough to force those Bengals O-linemen to put on long sleeves, yet still, in NOAA’s opinion, “arguably the most brutal football weather in NFL history.”

Jan. 20, 2008 — Giants 23, PACKERS 20, OT, Lambeau Field.

Temp: –1°. Wind: West 12 mph. Recorded Wind-Chill: –23°.

On the way to their first Super win over the Patriots, the Giants had to vanquish Brett Favre and the Pack in their frozen Lambeau shrine. Favre played like a 78-year-old guy in search of his heated blankie rather than the 38-year-old master of the tundra that he used to be, with a horrid fourth quarter and a game-chilling interception to Corey Webster on the second play of overtime. The wind-chill for this game was listed as minus-23 but we’re not sure where that came from. The recorded temp and wind at kickoff produce a minus-19° wind-chill. Still pretty darned cold.

To bring it all home for the Jets, here are the three coldest games we know of in Green & White annals:

Dec. 26, 1993 — BUFFALO 16, Jets 14, Rich Stadium

Temp: 9°. Wind: WNW 23 mph, gusting to 30 mph. Stated Wind-Chill: –28°

This appears to be the Jets’ coldest game ever. Just ask Cary Blanchard, who tried three times to put a leather rock through the uprights, from 27, 41 and 42 yards away, for the points that might have won this game, only to have each kick pushed wide left by the Western New York winds. Again, not sure for the source of the official wind-chill. With the old formula, it would’ve been –32, with the gusts dropping it to –37. Under the new formula, the WC would have varied from –13 to –15.

Dec. 17, 1972 — Browns 26, JETS 10, Shea Stadium

Temp: 24°. Wind: WNW 40-45 mph. “Old” Wind-Chill: –15°

The season finale at Shea between the Browns, who had already clinched the AFC’s one wild-card slot, vs. the Jets, who were shooting for 8-6 but were out of the running. With Joe Namath and Al Woodall sidelined, Bob Davis started at QB and completed five of 12 passes for 44 yards (24 net after losing 20 yards on three sacks). Winning QB Mike Phipps was more effective in the gusts, although not much more accurate at 7-for-17. The new wind-chill hovered around 3° to 4°.

Dec. 23, 1989 — Bills 37, JETS 0, Meadowlands

Temp: 16°. Wind: NNW 13-20 mph. “Old” Wind-Chill: –11°

Another cold, frosty one poured against Buffalo, this one at home, and another bitter defeat, not only due to the atmosphere (new wind-chill from 1 to –2) as Joe Walton coached his final game for the Jets before being dismissed.

That regime change, to GM Dick Steinberg/HC Bruce Coslet, didn’t generate much more warmth in the ensuing four seasons. Now, after a 2012 season-finale loss to the Bills (15° wind-chill), it’s up to the semi-new regime of John Idzik/Rex Ryan to generate traction. Super Bowl XLVIII? Not even going there at this time. Let’s get through XLVII in balmy New Orleans (expected game-time weather inside the Mercedes-Benz Superdome: 70°, wind of 0 mph), then take on one day at a time, one game at a time in ’13 en route to becoming an all-weather perennial contender.

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted in Randy Lange, Uncategorized | 116 Comments »

116 Responses to “Cro, Landry in the Warmth; Big Games in the Cold”

1. By Ronbo19 on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

RANDY,Thanks for the cool trip down memory lane. Those cold weather games are fun for everyone who watches them from luxury box’s or in front of a t.v at home or the local gin mill. I remember quite a few cold weather games at Shea,like when O.J. ran for over 200 yds, plus a late season game vs. the Raiders where the wind made it feel like it was played at the arctic circle. We used to bring in hot chococlate with blackberry brandy (purley for medicanal purposes)to anestasize our selves into such a euphoric state we didn’t care who won the game. As for the pro bowl, well, mabey I need a little blackberry brandy to sit through that nonsence as onece again, who cares?

2. By Randy Lange on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo19, thanks for the report back. I forgot to ask in the blog but I’ll ask here: Do any fans have favorite cold-weather/bad-weather games that maybe I missed? My research on all Jets/Titans games isn’t quite complete so it’s possible I missed a game in the early ’60s that was colder than the ’93 Buffalo game. Or let me know if there’s a bad-weather game you remember and I’ll try to dig up the data on that game.

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Has Let Go of All Illusions on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

“John Idzik, the Jets’ new GM, has inherited issues under center, but said he’s willing to let Mark Sanchez compete for the job. “I feel comfortable with Mark being a Jet,” Idzik told WFAN-AM on Monday, per ESPNNewYork.com’s Rich Cimini. “I told him we’re going to add competition and everyone should be up for it. It’s going to make Mark, and everybody else, better.” Translation: Mark steps up or he’s gone as soon as I can figure out how to do it. For those who say nothing has changed in the Jet’s FO, I’d ask you to consider how drastically this differs from the previous policy, which was, “Mark’s the starter for the next 10 yrs no matter how bad he plays.” More evidence that Rex’s ego and delusions are no longer driving the train.

Yes, Ronbo, I remember the blackberry brandy days well — were you sitting in our section? I remember a game vs the Oilers — was it the one in ’66, I think, when Joe threw 5 picks? — when it was so cold I couldn’t even feel my feet. The Raider playoff is ’68 was pretty cold too, as I remember it, as well as the playoff loss to KC the next yr. Sadly, we decided to build this big ugly shoebox in NJ and not even outfit it with a retractable dome, which everyone around the league thinks is insane. Who cares, it’ll be much more fun whatever the weather when this team is back in Queens, Brooklyn, or Nassau County where it belongs.

5. By scjoe on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Randy, although I can’t recall the exact temperature, I remember sitting in Shea in the playoff game with KC the year after SB III. The wind was howling through Shea like never before. Do you have the weather stats for that game?

6. By Randy Lange on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, the play-by-play for that game says the kickoff temperature was 33 degrees and the wind was out of the northwest at 15 knots, which converts to 17.25 mph. That translates to a “new” wind-chill measure of 22 degrees.

7. By IRA on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Randy, The OJ game at Shea when he broke 2,000 yds was classic and it snowed. man it was cold.

8. By Randy Lange on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Ira, that game’s measurables were similar to the KC playoff game: 29 degrees, winds out of the NNW at 17 mph, a “new” wind-chill at kickoff of 17 degrees.

9. By IRA on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Cold weather games that i recall the 91 and 92 season ending games vs the Pats and Saints, 06 in Green Bay, the 09 Cincy game vs Cincy at the Meadowlands and WC game in Cincy, all of the 60’s and 70’s games always felt cold because we didn’t have the cold weather gear to wear like we do today. Always went to Shea with my Cons on and double pair of socks. Those were the good old days.

10. By kleckofan on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

RonBo- that’s pretty close to how I remember childhood at Shea. Dad and gramps had the thermos w hot chocolate and a little something extra to fight the cold (the kids got regular hot choclate from Harry M Stevens, Inc!) It was hard to pay attention when your toes felt like they were being hit w a hammer.
    I saw the OJ game in the snow too.
    Last game I remember was my senior yr in high school, the CT all state football team (shameless pat on the back) got sent down to see the Saints, frigid cold, no one cared except me and we lost to Archie Manning(?). 4-12 season 1980.
    Only the memories could make those cold days seem glorious.

11. By Randy Lange on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

kleckofan, I covered that game so I got to watch most of it in the Shea pressbox. Still, the descending darkness and the snow that started falling in the fourth quarter added to the dark mood of the Jets losing, 21-20, to the previously winless Saints.

12. By Stevesc on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Randy, when OJ Simpson broke the 2000 yd mark against the Jets on 12/16/73 I remember it to be a cold, snowy and very windy day (as usual) at Shea stadium. I don’t know what the temperature was, but my brother and I were freezing!

13. By Randy Lange on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Stevesc, see my reply to Ira earlier in this thread.

14. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Has Let Go of All Illusions on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Statistics of this kind don’t say everything, especially since they don’t in any way measure how anybody played specifically vs good or bad DLs or good or bad teams as a whole. But this goes some way toward making clear that the problem isn’t just the players around “Mark,” and it also highlights our need for more speed and power at RB: “According to PFF, the Jets’ line finished third out of 32 teams in its statistical analysis, behind only the 49ers and Patriots. The Jets ranked seventh in pass blocking, third in run blocking and third in penalties, per PFF.” Randy, wasn’t it also cold on the day Robinson on CIN set a rushing record? I think he was the next guy to get 2,000 or close to it, or maybe he had a single-game record against us.

15. By Randy Lange on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Tom, you must be referring to Paul Robinson, who was a Cincinnati rookie RB in 1968. He needed 10 yards to become the first NFL rook of the “modern era” to rush for 1,000 yards in a season (the only other rookie to do that was Beattie Feathers in 1934). The game was at Shea on Dec. 8, 1968, and it was the Bengals’ last game of the season but the Jets’ next-to-last, due to the occasional bye weeks that came up in AFL schedules. Robinson got 33 yards but needed 26 hard carries to get them in the 35-degree temps with wind out of the northwest at 18 mph (new wind-chill: 24 degrees). The Jets still beat the Bengals, 27-14, won at Miami the next week, and the rest is history.

16. By scjoe on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, from a previous post. When I spoke about trading down I am talking about within the first 4 rounds or so. Right now the Jets get 4 of the top 106 (rounds 1 through there pick in round 4) I would love to see 6 or 7 of the top 128 (rounds 1-4 in it’s entirety)

17. By IRA on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Steve,
    That OJ game seemed so much colder than the temps Randy gave us because of the snow and I sat on the wooden bleaches behind home plate. And the wind was blowing the snow right in our faces. Great experience and priceless. While most fans won’t agree with me while we have not won a SB since the 68 season times that stick in my memory like the OJ game,the Curtis game in the snow vs Pitt that was another really cold day, a BIlls game in 80 in a cold pouring rain,Den in 08 cold and wet, so many others I feel so lucky to have been able to have those memories win or lose besides playing hoops they have been the time of my life and something I would never trade for anything else. Our day will come someday soon I hope,

GO JETS!!!!

18. By Jack on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

I can’t believe they want to get rid of the pro-bowl I been watching this since they had it played in hawall in 1980. I been to Hawall in 1986. I seen the Stadium but never seen a game there. I like voting each year to get the best of players to go to the pro-bowl. I wish that they would have the games played after the Super Bowl like they used too this way the fans that voted get to see all the players that was voted to play in the Pro-bowl. Really why would any players would not want to play in the probowl in hawall one of the most Beautiful place in the world. I will never get times with my family I had in Hawall I can only hope that I’ll get to go there again someday.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Has Let Go of All Illusions on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Thanks, Randy, I knew there was a record involved, I remembered the snow on the sidelines, and I even remembered that Robinson needed a ton of carries to get the record-setting yards. But I couldn’t remember what the record he set was. Speaking of yardage, folks, guess who this is a quote from: “We need to generate offense — offense is what the league is about now.” HC Rex Ryan, after 4 yrs of ignoring the O? No, it’s a quote from Terry Bradway and it comes from Eric’s article on this very site. I think that shows you how much Rex is NOT in touch with what’s going on in this league on O, one of the many reasons that I look forward to a new Jets HC in 2014.

20. By punchie on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Randy ” Is there any truth to the rumor that we are parting ways with cromartie in the off season. Would rather keep him and trade revis i don`t care what Greenie says REVI$ is not worth 5 players, Don`t worry fans we will never make the playoffs due to lack of overall talent and depth. but we get to see MONEY sorry sorry i mean REVI$ . On another note MANGOLD needs to pull the O linemen into line they have been terrible since FANECA left.

21. By Jersey Rich on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Just when we thought the Sanchez & Tebow thing was a Circus… Some reports say that Jamarcus Russell is possibly trying for a comeback & maybe on the Jets Radar.
    Jets Nation, are you ready for the Jamarcus Sanchez/Jamarcus Russell show??

22. By Tom Spicer on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

I think the Jets spending time with Glennon is a smoke screen. I read on Rotoworld that he is a very poor fit for a west coast O. Which is what we are going to run I think the Jets should be looking at Geno Smith or Tyler Wilson.

23. By Ronbo19 on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

RANDY<KLECKOFAN &T-64, The O.J.snow game will always have a place in my heart as a kid growing up I snuck into that game(my family was poor) An interesting coincidence, the woman i would marry 9 years later actually was a member of the Onteora highschool band that marched at halftime that day. As we will be married 30 years in March and are bothe lifelong jet fans I guess there was some good charma there!

24. By scjoe on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Jersey Rich….LOL… Imagine, the 2 worse QBs ever to put on an NFL uni, together on one team! OUR TEAM!!!

25. By Allan O'Dane on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

There’s a blogger here who compares Sanchez to JarMarcus Russell….I almost fell out of my chair when I read the NYJ were “Looking at Russell”….wow…

26. By Karan on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Please tell me this isn’t true. Jets “exploring” Jamarcus Bust Russell. Lets hope its false rumors and if not, then just wow, no words right now.

27. By pete on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Cannot believe the organization would even consider looking at Jamarcus Russell. What in the world are they thinking?????????????????? If that is the kind of copetition they are putting up against Sackchez God help us!!!!

28. By Byrdman on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Jets lost part of their identity when they left Shea – Woody sucker-punched Jet fans with the whole Metlife deal. This team will be the ugly little stepsister for the next decade under Big Blue. IMHO, Oh well time to move on!
    Some of the mock drafts are unintentionally funny – One has us reaching for that Alabama CB at #9, already assuming Revis is gone!
    Saw a couple Matt Barkley at #9 – Are they serious, REALLY?
    Much will change after the combine but I’m cautiously optimistic with Idzik in our war room making the picks, and evaluating the current roster.

29. By kleckofan on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Great story RonBo. Fits in w the fact that I’m recently divorced, she was a Raiders fan! ha ha

30. By kleckofan on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Punchie- please read JFT64’s post above, the O line has not been terrible. I have great confidence in the numbers produced by PFF, they analyze literally every play of every game.
    Why this “give Mark better players” argument is surfacing again is ludicrous (caused by that offensive guru Cromartie’s statements). Look at the post I referenced above, then recall the info I posted a month ago: only one team (Denver) had two receivers in the top 25, all other teams had one. This means that no one is “loaded” w talent, they spread it around to players who are not superstars.
    Other players can’t fix: lack of leadership, maturity& pocket presence or poor decision making. Take the hit and cut/trade him.

31. By kleckofan on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

I also wrote earlier that the team w the highest “dead cap money” in the history of the NFL was this yr’s Colts!
    Cutting Manning, Dallas Clark and Bullit amounted to like $29m in cap space. And they still made the playoffs! That’s good management! That’s long term thinking. Yes, they were mistaken (as was I) about Peyton’s return, but they made a decision and stuck w it. We NEED to cut Mark. He is emblematic of all that has been wrong here. The fact that he was guaranteed a job in spite of poor results speaks badly to other players. He represents losing. Please don’t give me the two AFC games, we cannot, and should not have to, always surround Sanchez with the perfect storm of great D and running game in order to win.
    Get over it already!

32. By Tom Spicer on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

From Bleacher Report there mock draft has us taking Geno Smith. It says “the two best choices with the No. 9 overall pick would be Arkansas’ Tyler Wilson and West Virginia’s Geno Smith. Between the two, Smith is the better fit for the West Coast offensive scheme that new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg will implement in New York. Smith is a mechanically-sound quarterback with a great release, good mobility and good accuracy on timing routes. The Jets need to find a new signal-caller to replace the Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow circus, and although he’s a risky top-10 selection, Smith may have the most upside of any quarterback in the draft class.

33. By SQUIRREL on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

cold games … no need to go back that far. how about the win and we’re in game v cincy in ’08. it was brutal but at the same imte great football weather. reminded me of when i was kid, and of course it was a great game.

Randy what were the stats on that game.

34. By Randy Lange on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Squirrel, the cold facts on the “Win and We’re In” game vs. Cincinnati on Jan. 3, 2010: 20 degrees, wind out of the northwest at 17 to 25 mph, official wind chill of 4 degrees.

35. By SCfromNY on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

JETS HAVE #3 OL IN NFL!!!

If this is true think about how bad Sanchez and Greene must really be.

I have had it. The only thing I want to hear about Sanchez is he GONE! If it is a fair competition he will lose his job in the preseason or at best the 4th game. He can be “popping out of his skin” but will never learn to lead, read a defense, or throw accurately. Sure bring Russell in. Maybe Sanchez could beat him. Or maaybe Russell will play on the OL. Big enough!

36. By IRA on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Well according to PFF the OL was not has bad as some say it was. According to their grading system the Jets OL ranked 3rd in the league.
    Mr T did the right thing by taking the high road on some of the hot topic issues he was asked on the radio today.

37. By IRA on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

See Revis is already doing lateral work as part of his rehab without a brace. That is a good sign and I think this will play out just like what Manning did. The Jets will have a few teams that want to trade for him and the Jets will basically let him have like a Pro Workout Day and show how he is progressing with his rehab to show that he will be ready to go come August or sooner. I will be very surprised if the Jets do not trade him. I think it’s a done deal now they have to find a team and when it will happen. Really sorry to think he will not finish out his career as a Jet but that’s what I think is best for this team.

38. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Now it can be told: Mr T is really Karan! In a shocking admission, Mr T tells Cimini he and the Jets were totally up on “Mark” after the 2011 season based on his 26 throwing TDs and 6 rushing ones. (Hmm, Mr T could also be Spicer.) It’s astounding to me that Rex and Mr T could watch MS’s humiliating collapse in 2011, rooted in the very same mistakes that he’d been making for 3 yrs no matter who was around him, and conclude that the move to make was to nail down “cost certainty” on this clearly inferior QB. It turns out that those of us who criticized the new MS deal and the Tebow trade were EXACTLY right about how clueless Mr T and Rex were about the O. So don’t tell me to shut up about this till I see a new QB putting big pts on the board!

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Congrats to you, Ronbo, on your marriage and its roots in Jet fandom! Yeah, my dad wasn’t doing too good in overtaxed “Fun City” back in the ’60s and ’70s either, and many were the times we had to seriously think about whether we could afford to renew the season’s seats, cheap though they were compared to today. When the Jets moved to NJ my dad gave them up, as I woulda had I still lived in NYC then. When they move back to NYC, I’ll think about getting seasons seats again and flying in every Sunday when I start making the big bucks…which will also be overtaxed in Jerry Brown’s deserted joke of a desert theme park called California…

40. By 40 year fan , John on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Jamarcus to the Jets is the perfect example of what a joke the jets have become …Clear the QB roster entirely …We have to make some trades . Braylon Edwards ,and Dustin Keller , are the only two indispencibles on the offense …. The rest should be on notice..

41. By 40 year fan , John on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

We can cut players and free up cap space . We can also renogotiate some deals under the threat of being cut …I know these methods may seem harsh , but The Jets are embarrassing ..And this needs to be delt with in a stern fashion …

42. By Tom Spicer on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Tom 64, Can you direct me to that PFF article I would love to read it. I am not saying that you are lying I just find it very VERY hard to believe. I read stuff that said Austin Howard was one of the WORST starting right tackles in all of footaball. So what you are saying above does not make sense. This “the Jets’ line finished third out of 32 teams in its statistical analysis, behind only the 49ers and Patriots.” How can this be possible after watching McElroy take 11 sacks in 1 game?

43. By Tom Spicer on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Profootballtalk’s Mike Florio reports the Jets have “no interest” in JaMarcus Russell.
    Late Monday, the Newark Star-Ledger reported the Jets held “very exploratory, informal discussions” about adding Russell to their bag of quarterbacks. It’s not surprising to hear the Jets say they’re not interested, but it was fun for the 12 hours it lasted. The media & only the media is pushing this garbage. Juts like all the the Jets are a cicus garbage. The media loves it & they feed off of it. Someone needs to call them out on it!

44. By Tom Spicer on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Ex-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum took full responsibility for and confirmed that the Tim Tebow trade was his idea.
    “It’s just a trade that didn’t work out,” Tannenbaum said. “Ultimately that was my decision to trade for Tim. We thought there was a role for him. We thought it would give us a chance to make our offense more dynamic.” Tannenbaum confirms that owner Woody Johnson was initially reluctant, but the trio, along with Rex Ryan, pursued it and made the deal happen. Hopefully this puts the Tebow drama to bed. He’s fully expected to be released by the Jets this offseason

45. By Tom Spicer on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Ex-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum admits the five-year, $58.25 million extension he gave Mark Sanchez last March “doesn’t look very good.”
    “Our thinking on that was Mark is only one of five QBs in the history of pro football to win 30 or more games in his first three years,” Tannenbaum said Tuesday. “Get cost certainty from a standpoint of we know what he’s going to cost and he gets the benefit of some security.” Tannenbaum also insisted the Jets’ cap situation isn’t as dire as it’s been portrayed. “You’ll see in the next six weeks how it will pay out. … There’s a very detailed plan there.” New GM John Idzik can only hope.

46. By Tom Spicer on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Tom 64, Forget directing me to that article I read it but I totally disagree. After reading it I am convinced that MULTIPLE guys on this site not only know more about football than these guys but are better writers than them. Lets go over the article so you can see muypoint of view. 1 “It wasn’t quite its dominant self in the early weeks of the season, but they finishing playing as well as any team”. “but they finishing” is that even english? I know I am not the best speller but I post fast while I am at work & I dont double check it. These guys do this for a living! Next back to that quote. “It wasn’t quite its dominant self in the early weeks of the season, but they finishing playing as well as any team”. How do you finish the season

47. By Tom Spicer on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

playing as well as any team when in your 2nd to last game you game up 11 sacks IN ONE GAME! Some QBS get sacked 11 times IN HALF A YEAR! Eli got sacked 19 times ALL YEAR! Peyton got sacked 22 times ALL YEAR! Brees, Freeman & Palmer were sacked 26 times ALL YEAR! If you add the times Sanchez was sacked with the times that McElroy was sacked it equals 44 OR the 4th most sacked QB in all of THE NFL! Anyone who thinks the Jets HONESTLY had the 3rd best O Line in all of football has there head up there you know what & is drinking the green koolaid!

48. By Ronbo19 on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Tom64, thanx. The funny thing is her family’s roots were New England but she hates the Pats more than I do.KLECKO FAN, anmazingly, our 30 year marriage has always had one tough obstacle as my wifes family are Red Sox fans so she hates the Yankees. Altough I’m more a Mets fan I do root for the Yanks too so I appreciate your problem with your X. I agree with your Sanchez comments concerning his total lack of ability to lead this team. His poor decision makeing and lousey acuracy is simply not fixable. Tom64, Mabey Spicer is really not mr.T, but actually Mark Samchez? KARAN is definately Mr.T! Spicer, err Mark, Having watched a lot of Arkansas games I think T.Wilson would be a good fit in a west coast offence.Hopefully not ours as neither-

49. By Ronbo19 on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

cont- Wilson or Smith are as good as some of the guys in next years draft like Johnny football Manzeil or Teddy Bridgewater who will be eliagable as red-shirt sophs next yr. I really hope we trade down for more picks as we have so many holes to fill. If we stay at #9 there will be passrushers who can help us,plus O=linemen who can step in and play right away.

50. By kleckofan on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

40 Yr- I’d say the only “keepers” going into camp on O are: Manglod, Brick, Moore (if we can) Kerley, Powell, McKnight and possibly McElroy, Folk, Hilliard & Hill.
    I do not agree w keeping Keller unless its for slim dollars. He does not fit w today’s TE’s, although maybe the WCO makes him better. Edwards is a tough call for me; prima dona-ish, but still capable.

51. By kleckofan on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Oh yeah, I’d take Cumberland into camp too.

52. By SQUIRREL on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

well said IRA on Mr. T and 40 Year fan on cutting players and cap space. You can tell that Tannebaum feels slighted and not for nothing based upon what i see it looks like REX probably had as much to do with the questionable personal decisions and Tanny just the fall guy. im all about cutting and getting down to basics for rebuilding. anyone whio thinks we are legitiimate contenders in 2013 needs to lay off the sauce. why wait to rebuild until next year when we cant start this year. try to unload whoever you can that is killing the cap. take the cap hits this year, play your young guys and see what talent you have, trade revis … its the only way theres no way he is green and white next year if he is going to command 2omil a yr.

53. By SQUIRREL on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

i also think that as soon as IDZIK gets the nod from Woody Rex will be sent packing. Im sure Rex will predict that he gets a job in 3 minutes where his brother predicted 5 minutes, as far as i know Rob Ryan is still unemployed.

54. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, the first thing I said before referring to the PFF thing is that stats like that don’t tell everything. I think our OL was nowhere near that good. But like I always say about watching the games, anyone who did that this yr saw Sanchez make most of his mistakes when there wasn’t any pass rush at all. (When there WAS a pass rush, forget it.) Just about everyone writing on football now agrees that MS had 4 yrs to learn how to throw accurately, so even talking about him is beating the deadest horse. I’ll welcome any QB we bring in, just like I welcome any GM or OC, because such moves start the countdown to MS and Rex’s exits from Florham Park. Ira, nice to see you facing reality about Revis, he must go ASAP.

55. By scjoe on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Re: the PFF O-line article. You can interpret it any way you like. The fact is there are three very good pieces along that line (Mangold Brick and Moore) Notice, I didn’t say “great” I said VG. Then there are two other pieces that are average at best (Howard and Slauson) Problem is, and it has been stated in so many words, Mark Sanchez needs all five players along that line to be VG at the least. Same can be said for Shonn Greene. So, which way do you go? Replace the entire O line and stick with Sanchez and Greene, or stay status quo and bring in a QB and a RB who will not be “part of the problem?” Do the latter, and your O line just went from #3 to #1

56. By scjoe on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Ron, re: Revis, from a previous story. The Jets are in a catch 22 scenario with him. First off you have to consider the injury. Secondly he is in the final year of his contract. Despite what I recently read about a GM stating that the Jets “should: get a #1 and a #3 for him, I don’t see it happening. Is he worth that if healthy? Absolutely! But these are the Jets, things don’t often fall into place for them. Remember what they got for Vilma? Nothing!! So, even if they were to get a #1, unless it is a top 6 or 7, they will not be getting face value. I don’t expect they even get that. If Idzik can do some cap magic and keep him, I could live with that. You can always trade him next season, on your terms!

57. By Mike Jet Vet on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Funny. I like listening to all the critics here, about his player and that player. so I’ll offer my tidbit, take J-Russell for instance. We haven’t set anything in stone… yet the usual genius’s know he will be a bust. very possibly he will but considering, in today’s market we could get him for what amounts to Peanut and Jelly DUH. I mean I won’t claim to know as much as these fans but just on the off chance M M can get him on track we can’t go wrong in my eyes , Lets not forget he is Big, strong, can run, has big arm Do you believe Sanchez G-Mac or TT will fair any better.. Just saying… Oh Wait! I have a better Idea. lets trade down all our picks plus kings ransom for another MS

58. By Jack on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

This all make scent Jets should make a trade with the 49ers for Alex Smith for Darrelle Revis. Revis and a 2nd rd pick to the 49ers for Smith and Jets get Smith and a 1st rd pick to the Jets. 49ers would be getting the best defense back in the NFL and a low draft pick in the 2nd Rd’s. Jets get a good quality qb, that will take them back to the AFC, and hopeful to the SuperBowl. Both team wouldn’t be losing anything in this trade Jets & the 49ers are getting starter players best in the league. I hope this trade can get done.

59. By Ronbo19 on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, speaking with a friend of mine who happans to be in the NFL business, the maket for Revis will be much higher than has been speculated to date. If a trade does happan it will likely be two tiered. Perhaps a 2 in this draft with a 1, 2 or 3 next year based on how many games Revis plays, starts, and perhaps a few caveots like pro-bowl,all pro awards ect,ect? Its very likely a contending team will view him as a potential difference maker yet seek to protect itself by deferring some of the eventual cost of aquireing him untill they know exactly what they are getting? As for the injury itself,early reports are he is way ahead of schedule and his injury was significantly less than R.G III’s or A.Petersons.

60. By Ronbo19 on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, an addition to your scouting report on Gino Smith is he locks on to a reciever,does not do a good job of looking off safty’s or picking up secondary recievers.Now, that is a pretty typical evaluation of most college Q.B’s as the college passing game is usually less sophisticaed than what goes on in the NFL. If we did choose Smith or Wilson at #9 it would not be the end of the world. I believe they are both very good pro prospects that will take time but eventually be successful.I know no one here wants him but Barkley from USC will definately go in Rd1 and Zack Dysart may also sneak in as well. Glennon,Manuel & Bray are the wild cards here as moc’s have them going anywhere from Rd1 to Rd.3?

61. By SCfromNY on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

I can not believe all the posters in favor of Revis to the 49ers for Smith and a 2nd round pick. Smith played well when asked to do little, except for the Saints playoff. He won with a great D and a strong run game. Sound familar??? I don’t think we should trade Revis for a backup. I would go with Matt Moore or a mid pick QB letting him and McElroy play and win or lose it is a rebuilding year.

On second thought if the 49ers give us Smith, a 1rst round pick, AND take Sanchez I would go for that. As unlikely as those wishing for Stafford and Fitz.

62. By IRA on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Tom,
    If I had a say and could picture Cro stepping up I might have traded Revis in August. Bottom line they were never going to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league. He has earned every penny he will get from some team that is one player away from a SB. The Jets sadly are not there at this time.
    It’s going to be hard to sign two starting OG’s I would like to see them resign Moore I just think he will get a better deal from another team. There are plenty of teams that are 20 plus mill over the cap so even though he has slowed down and has maybe 1 or 2 years at most left in him he will get a good offer from some team. Great leader and I would try to resign him if possible,
    Edwards and Bell you can get on the cheap.

63. By MIKE on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

No way Jets get a 1st and a 3rd for Revis. A 1st maybe by its self. I would take 3 2nd rounders as well. That would be nice to draft 3 of the top 96 players for 3 years straight. Like I said before, it’s not worth trading him if your scouting is suspect and those pics don’t turn into quality players.

64. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Any new QB added to the roster is a step forward from Sanchez, folks. But that doesn’t mean we should waste a high draft choice on one just to say we’re doing something at QB. That’s why I take a very realistic view of how many games we’re likely to win next yr no matter who we draft or sign in FA. The next yr’s QB class seems much more promising. And the next yr should be the one in which Rex is finally gone, which is when my expectations will REALLY skyrocket.

65. By punchie on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

KLECKOFAN” I don`t give a rats … what the pathetic STATS state the fact is mark sanchez has simillar if not identical STATS as eli manning had in his first four years. that is all i need to say about STATS. I watched every game of the season a minnimum of twice thanks to the brilliance of NFL gamepass and i know that all the jets problem start upfront. Here is a STAT for you SHONN GREEN had over 1000 rushing yards this season whilst only averageing 3.9 yds per carry and what happened when we put macelroy in …. He went from being the great white hope to sackelroy. vlad ducasse is the beast we have been missing on the line and will prove it this season when the legend BRANDON MOORE steps over and plays the veteran backup roll. KEEP CRO!!

66. By punchie on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

THANKYOU TOM SPICER.

67. By Tom Spicer on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe & Tom 64, Maybe I said to much I dotn think the Jet O line is terrible. But at the same time I do not think that they are top 10 let alone top 3. Really they can change 1 or 2 spots LG & RT. Also yes they should change the QB & the RB before trying to change the whole O Line.

68. By Ronbo19 on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

IRA, Looking at so many needs I believe its likely the Jets will keep one of the 2 guards (Slauson or Moore) I could see the benefit to either as I think they both will eventually be replaced. Moore because of his age & slauson because he has never really asserted himself as the complete package a starter in the league needs to.if we re-up Slauson he will come cheaper as he is the less accomplished of the two. On the other hand, he is much younger and thus offers more potential upside.The benefit to moore is his leadership and a more than likely shorter committment.In any event we will need either a draft pick or F/A to fill the other spot. It will be interesting to see what they do about R.T? Are they sold on A.Howard? Will they look to -

69. By Ronbo19 on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

cont- upgrade that spot? Which brings me to my next question, With the cap so out of wack can we really afford to pay David Harris well over 11 million,Brick over 10 mill Mangold just under 10 mill? These are gonna be tough situations for Mr. Idzik & Company to deal with.KLECKOFAN, agree with you completely concerning the Q.B prospects this year.Dont want any of them at #9. The problem is you & I are not makeing the picks so Gino Smith or Tyler Wilson may in fact be Jets? Although most us her believe we will have another top 10 pick next year, there is no guarantee that will happan so they may feel they need to go with a Q.B now and worry about next year later?

70. By GaryC on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

If your bringing in JaMarcus Russell,why not get Tim Couch off the couch,has it gotten this bad.

71. By GaryC on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

any combination of this group would be fine,Werner,Warmack,Ertz,Ball,Justin Hunter,Ogletree,and Please stay away from Teo,another overrated Notre Damer,like Michael Floyd last year and Golden Tate,Alabama really exposed him,no pun intended,in the championship game,and this is for Rondo19,watch Michael Bumphus of Miss State,and Michael Ford of LSU.if you want under the radar guys who will do things this year,Bumphus might be this years Wallace.

72. By Mike Jet Vet on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Punchie, your name truly fits you, if you really believe Sanchez compares in any way to Eli, or Vlad is the beast were lacking on the O-line, how about Wilson do you also believe he will be nominated to the HOF or maybe a Pro Bowl or 2 . sorry man I’m not mocking you, I just don’t see any evidence or prove on the field with either player. can any one ? I’m willing to learn something new

73. By scjoe on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

To me, “a deal” sending Darrelle Revis to the 49rs for Alex Smith and a 2nd rounder would equate to the Jets sending Kyle Wilson and a 2nd rounder to the 49rs for Kaepernick. Ridicules! There is no way that happens, Mike Tannenbaum is no longer GM. Again, the best “short term” answer is Matt Moore who will become a UFA in March, add a 2nd or 3rd round QB in the mix and have them compete for the starting job with Sanchez as the #3 “emergency QB”

74. By Byrdman on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Punchie – You lost me with the “Ducasse is the beast…” comment.
    Vlad is closer to a being a Gholston type BUST – I’ll be surprised if he’s on the roster in 2013, he’s got a room temperature IQ.
    Revis for Alex Smith.. Really? Harbaugh resurrected Smith from the dead – that team is so good you could almost win with Sanchez under center. Smith is a product of that system, it would be insane to trade Revis for this backup!
    Don’t plan on getting Matt Moore for “cab fare” – several teams will make offers.
    Hope Idzik has a better plan than we do here – or some inside info at least.

75. By scjoe on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Ron, if the Jets can only get a 2nd rounder this year and a conditional next year they better make every effort possible to resign him. Love him or hate him, when healthy he is thee best CB in the league and one of the top 5 defenders overall. If it were a 1st this year plus a conditional 1,2, or 3 next year that may make sense.That would return face value AND protect the trading partner as well.

76. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Great analysis of the Revis situation, Ira. Punchie, you must look at stats only because Eli’s actual play in those first 4 yrs was notably different than Sanchez’s. To cite just the most obvious difference, Eli threw more accurately, particularly long, from the start, whereas Sanchez can’t throw accurately two yds over the middle. Plus I’d like to see the comparison of fumbles, not just INTs. As for McElroy and sacks, anyone who watched that game knows that he coulda been sacked five more times if he didn’t already have better pocket presence than “Mark,” who woulda tossed 7 picks that day. Spice, I agree about the O line but MS would be horrible with our line from the SB yr.

77. By kleckofan on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Punchie aka Punch-drunk- watch as many times as you want, heck, go back and watch Eli at Ole Miss and Sanchez at USC. You call stats “pathetic” and then base the rest of your post on them!
    Eli, if nothing else, is poised and unflappable, two traits I just don’t see in your boy. A RB getting a 1000 yds is next to meaningless in a 16 game schedule, though I’m not sure what your point is there, to diss the OL or praise it.
    McElroy’s first NFL start is now the measuring stick for his career I guess, very rational. I saw a kid who was told to “eat it” rather than turn it over; a lesson your boy has yet to learn.

78. By kleckofan on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Punchie cont’- Vlad the Beast, huh? You and Tanny may be alone on that one. Moore has been a proven, consistent OL for many yrs, please insult someone else.
    BTW- don’t drag Spice into your delusional circle, read his last post, the one where he says to replace the QB before changing the entire OL>

79. By GaryC on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

No wonder the media loves this time leading up to the super bowl,with knuckleheads like Moss,Culliver and Ed Reed spouting off,yes,we know,this generation of football players need the spotlight,all they have to do is open the mike and something stupid is bound to be heard.

80. By scjoe on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Punchie, just one question….Are you serious re” Ducasse and Sanchez OR is it just sarcasm? The reason I ask is because it is quite obvious to anyone who watched NY Jet games for the past 3 or 4 years that theses two guys have the B word written all over them. That is not my opinion, it is what it is!

81. By Allan O'Dane on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Gotta listen to LT’s comments on ESPN radio about Mark Sanchez and Mike T…Love this guy….

82. By GaryC on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

ronbo19,if your into the draft,go into drafthistory.com,everything you want to know about the history of the football draft.

83. By IRA on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    I felt Slauson played well in 010 and 011 he was ok. this past year they messed him up with this ridiculous rotation with Ducasse and sitting him for almost 25 percent of the snaps just to justify drafting Ducasse in the 2nd rd. Yes Slauson would come cheaper if he would even want to come back but Moore’s leadership is priceless, I think Howard showed improvement and they should bring him back with some competition. Rest assured Harris and Brick will be told to restructure to give them some cap relief for this year. Idzik has lots of work to do and we will all have to have patience and give him time to get back on track. Really hard to look at the draft right now until after the combine and the Pro Days.

84. By Tom Spicer on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

In regards to that o line talk we have been having in 2009 & 2010. When the Jet o line gave up 25 & 26 sacks in those years. Yes we had a top 3 o line if not #1 but in 2011 with Wayne “the doormat” Hunter & this year giving up 44 sacks. No not even top 10.

85. By GaryC on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Please,can we put to rest any Osi thoughts about him coming to the jets,how many more ex giants are coming here for the paycheck.the jets are like the retirement home for ex giants

86. By Tom Spicer on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

I was hoping that the Jets would move to a 4-3 to me it is better for the current talent they have on the roster (good D line & holes at LB). But they have made no mention of that. So that tells me we are staying in a 3-4. That tells me a few things 1 we are not going to resing Devito he is to small to play NT & Wilkerson & Coples our the DE’S going forward they are the young up & comers & have to be on the field at all times. We are not going to spend big money to re sign a backup DE. Not sure if Pouha will be back he is 34 with a bad back & they can save $1.5 MIL by letting him go. They might go with the combo of Kenrick Ellis & “snacks” Harrison at the NT spot. We can easily re sign Bell for like a 1 year deal. The problem as everyone kn

87. By Tom Spicer on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

knows is resigning Landry he may be to much $ for us. Also I dont think the LB situation is as bad as everyone thinks with Harris & Davis in the middle & McNitre on the outside. We really only need 1 OLB to be set. Every mock draft I see has the Jets taking a QB or a OLB. If we can get Jarvis Jones we would be set but I dont think he will fall to us. Next year with the D of NT Ellis, DE’S Wilkerson & Coples, LBS Harris, Davis, McNtire & Jarvis Jones. Safteys Landry & Bell, Corners of Cromatie & getting Revis back. That is a championship calbier D.

88. By kleckofan on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

scjoe- amen on your QB strategy, now if the I-man can just get it done. I don’t neccesarily agree on the proposed trade, the 9ers don’t need much and to get Revis would be a serious snag. Of, course, this is all WFAN call in stuff.
    We must get great value for Revis or it will be to the Jets’ as Nolan Ryan is to the Mets (Understanding they are at significantly different points in their career when traded). As much as I understand the circumstances pushing the deal, I still hate to have one of the all time best play for someone else.
    Thanks for the support on the rogue poster supporting Sanchez and Vlad…I thought I was losing my mind or something!

89. By Tom Spicer on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

On O I am not saying this is what I want but what I see happening. We will not resign Moore he is 32 & asking for a good amount of money I think they will resgin Slauson (younger & cheaper) & go with Ducasse on the other side. Unless we take Womack G BAMA (I think that last name is wrong it is slipping my mind) Then they will let BOTH Moore & Slauson walk & go with the rookie & Ducasse (why else would you force the o line coach to play Ducasse unless you planned on starting him this year). They will tender Howard at RT unless we take a tackle in the 1st round. Keller, Greene & Braylon will all be gone. Keller cause he wants to much money, Greene cause he is just not good & Braylon cause they are looking to get rid of the problem child.

90. By Tom Spicer on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

So not counting what we do in the draft & free agency (I dont think we are doing anything in free agency we dont have any money) OT’S Brick & Howard, Guards Slauson & Ducasse, Center Mangold, TE Cumberland, WR’S Holmes, Hill & Kerley, RB’S Powell & McKnight & QBS Snachez, McElroy & some low level stop gap that we will bring in. I think after we get that 1st round pass rusher all of the draft will be on the O side of the ball.

91. By Mike Jet Vet on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

I ,believe trading up or down, giving big money, any players, whatever, for other than a proven QB some one like Luck Wilson or RG3 is a step in the wrong direction, We either need to develop or find a diamond in the rough like T-Brady. This is why I said I wouldn’t object to J-Russell coming in and competing for the Job, I know he’s a risk and hasn’t proven he can be that guy, But dollars and( cents) wise.. he won’t affect our cap, will cost us next to nothing, no players or picks. in my eyes taking a big hit on any Rookie is a gamble we can’t afford AGAIN .that said, I wouldn’t give up on G-Mac just yet, until we know for sure he can’t cut it

92. By Ronbo19 on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, thanks for the heads up on the draft site.I am familiar with it, but appreciate it anyway.Spicer, I think playing Ducasse last year was more to find out what they have in him.I dont think they like what they found as he was a big disappointment.I think your right about Slauson being back,then draft a guard in the2nd or 3rd round(there are 8 available in that area)As you said, Moore is 33 and there may not be a lot of interest so we may get him back cheap if there are no takers. Its time to pull the plug on Ducasse,he needs to go! I completely disagree about our OLB posisition as we have “No”starting caliber players there. Mcintosh is fine as a back up but is not a starter. He lacks the speed & agilty to cover backs.

93. By scjoe on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, Ron, you may be familiar with this one too, but it is one of my favorite draft sites.www.draftcountdown.com

94. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Totally agree with you guys on the O line in general, and especially with you on Slauson and the ridiculous Ducasse move, Ira.

95. By GaryC on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

ronbo19,you must have Rocky McIntosh on your mind instead of Garrett McIntyre.

96. By Byrdman on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet – They have to put Russell on “The Biggest Loser” first !
    Have you seen any pics of JR – he looks like Rex before his stomach surgery.
    I gotta be honest, I thought you were Joking in the previous post when you suggested Jamarcus – You know that he’s considered the biggest bust of all time right?
    Stop and think about going into next season with Sanchez, Russell (assuming he loses about 75 lbs) and SackElroy as your QB’s – I’m feeling sick just looking at those names on my screen.
    Maybe Idzik will pull a fast one somehow and convince another team that Sanchez just needs a change of scenery (I know that sounds crazy) – Then we’ll look back at 2012 like a nightmare that we finally woke up from!

97. By Row on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Everyone is talking defense when the offense was absolutely horrible. I think FS was where the Jets were let down the most. I think this D has been the worst in the Rex era at stopping the run. The Revis situation is double sided. I doubt anyone would give a #1 alone, so he stays and restructures. Sanchez still needs to be cut immediately. Another thing people aren’t remembering are the lack of snaps any QB other than Sanchez received. Sanchez was press permed into the offense for 4 years and “took” all those sacks and “created” those turnovers. Tebow set records passing and running in college. So did Brad Smith. Why did neither get any snaps? I wanna see progress over personal relationships. Rex shouldn’t get final call on the roster! Go J

98. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

The days of Rex having any great say over the roster are definitely over, Row, that’s clear from his silence on Revis. Despite what his misguided loyalists believe, Idzik has absolutely no reason to show Rex any outsized courtesy, he just started in Florham Park while Rex has presided over a mess for 2 yrs. I can also think of few QBs less suited to a WCO than Sanchez and MM has a good shot of taking over this team if the only thing that works next yr is the QB and the O under his supervision. So don’t sweat it too much, it’s clear that change is on the way and that’s even if we don’t draft a QB that high, though I think we’ll draft one. Woody and Idzik know that another yr of “Mark gives us the best chance to win” won’t fly.

99. By Ronbo19 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAM, you should be writeing for a sit-com dude,hilatious! But I agree with your post 100% ROW, the defence while over-rated(see Laron Landry) is closer to being a solid unit so takeing a good pass rushing OLB and aquireing a safty to take Landry’s spot will basically set them up to be at least competitive. The offence on the other hand has many holes to fill. My hope is some will be addressed this off season and the rest in next years draft & free agency.A good example would be the Q.B posisition.If we can grab one with our 3rd pick great.I would not reach for anyone this year because if you read the above posts you will see next year is the better option for a Q.B This will not be a sprint but rather a marathon in fixing this roster.

100. By Ronbo19 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, Thanx for the link.Gary C, yeah I was in a hurry and his name escaped me.Thanx!

101. By Tom Spicer on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I dont think playing Ducasse so the Jets could see what he has is right. 2 things 1 this was his 3rd year I think after 3 years of ota’s, minicamps, training camps, pre seasons & in season practicing it is safe to say they knew what they had. & 2 the o line coach said he was forced to play him IN SEASON every 3rd series by SOMEONE much higher than him. That clearly stinks of MR.T playing him to try to save his job similar to him making them play Sanchez. Think about it there are 4 people above o line coach 1 owner 2 OC & 3 Rex (why would any of them care if a backup lineman is worked in) Clearly it was the GM trying to save his job.

102. By Ronbo19 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, you do realize we are basically saying the same thing. What you just said about Ducasse is exactly what I was trying to say.When i said they were trying to see what they had I meant Tannenbaum was trying to justify drafting him.

103. By punchie on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

KLECKOFAN” Just because i agree with spicer with regaurds to the O line doesn`t mean we see eye to eye on all matters. Tannenbaum was a discrace as far as introducing rookies to real playing time. Brandon Moore got manhandled all season watch the games again and come back with a definitive play or series where brandon was instrumental in getting us anywhere i love the guy and he has been a loyal servant to the green and white but the dude is getting old and can`t play all the series well enough to start. The butt fumble was 50% his fault and the other 50% was mark Bench-ez`s. And please don`t talk to me like Bench-ez is my boy

104. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Awed by the Brilliance of Jet Fans on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Totally agree with you on Mr T and Ducasse, Spicer, and it was disgraceful. Good riddance to anyone who’d stoop to doing anything like that!

105. By Byrdman on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Ronbo – If its one thing I’ve learned over the years following the Jets, if you don’t have a sense of humor you could end up in the “Nut-House”
    Yeah I’m with everyone here saying draft Offense, Lets grab the best OLB at #9 if we don’t trade down then use ALL the remaining picks on O. Grab the best Guard we can get, the best RB and TE on the board. Depending on the combine and the individual workouts, draft one of those QB’s. We just hired MM as OC, bring him into the evaluation process, he’s a pretty sharp guy, use his experience, take advantage of what he’s learned over the years, scouting and drafting NFL QB’s. Idzik is the X factor, we’ve seen Tbomb botch the draft, lets give this new guy a chance to AMAZE us All !

106. By Tom Spicer on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I must have misunderstood what you were trying to say & for that I apologize.

107. By steven on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Jets need two number one picks in this draft and two number ones in next years draft if they want to succeed in rebuilding. They need a starting pass rusher and a starting running back in the draft this year and they need a franchise QB in the draft next year. With two number one picks they can trade up for QB next year. Trade Cro, Revis and Holmesfor first round picks and get younger, faster with a balanced cap.

108. By Ronbo19 on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, No need to apoligze, you & I are always cool! We just like to tweak each other. We are men, its what we do! BYRDMAN, no problem dude, i’ve pointed out your sence of humor before as I spend half my days laughing its definately appreciated.

109. By scjoe on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

steven, just like to tweak that a bit, the Jets don’t necessarily need 2 number 1s this year and next, what they need is to hit on the picks that they do have. The 2012 draft brought 1 (ONE) starter. More then half their picks didn’t even make the final cut, so, bottom line, it don’t really matter where they draft them as much as “how” they draft.

110. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the New QB on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

Can’t argue with either steven or scjoe on the draft, though I will add their points are among the best reasons to keep Rex out of the draft room…and fire him ASAP…

111. By Ronbo19 on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

TOM64, you are nothing if not consistent concerning dumping Rex. I cant say I disagree as his act has definately worn thin with me. I agree 100% about keeping him as far away from the war room on draft day as possible. If ho got his way we would draft 7 guys on D and completely ignore the offence which needs all the help it can get.S.C.Joe, as I posted earlier on a different header we actually got zero starters from last years draft and only three made the active roster initially.Unless anybody really considers Steven Hill a starter? Coples only played about 40% 0f the snaps but hopefully that will increase this season?Guys like Antonio Allan,Josh Bush & J,White were brought back during the season but all were initially cut.Lousey draft!

112. By Byrdman on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

There is a ton of pressure on the front office – this draft must produce 3 to 5 starters next season if we lose all our FA’s
    Why can’t this team get lucky (for once) and land an under the radar superstar in the draft. Has that ever happened to this franchise? Have we ever found a guy that slipped past every other team? Weird, I can’t think of a single player the Jets drafted that was unknown and turned out to be a star. think we’re due to find a “Tom Brady” in the 6th round or something like that. Or is the team snake-bit when it comes to drafting?
    Can anyone here name a late round Gem the Jets found?

113. By Ronbo19 on Feb 7, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAN, Bruce Harper, Wayne Crebet(undrafted) 7 leon washington are a few names that come to mind as unheralded picks of free agents but you are right about one thing, definately nothing like Tom brady in the 6th rd.

114. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the New QB on Feb 7, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, the names Ronbo lists are the only ones I could think of for sleeper Jets too, since Leon we’ve been pathetic in that department. Mr T tries to take credit for drafting Revis when only everybody who’d ever heard of football was dying to get him…

115. By Byrdman on Feb 7, 2013 | Reply

I couldn’t remember if Harper was drafted or not, yeah Chrebet sure played with lot of heart. Washington was a 7th rounder WOW…typical Jet move, letting him go after his injury, guy looks great out in Seattle.
    Wonder what Woodhead could have done here? Seems to have “carved” out a niche for himself in NE. (see what I did there:) ?
    We’re in the dead-zone right now in Jet Nation – No Big Name Cuts, No Blockbuster trades, nothing really to talk about.
    Maybe Idzik is holed up somewhere deep underground looking at college game films, Jet game film, watching endless NFL replay, SB-3 game film, old James Cagney gangster films… Who Knows :D

116. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for the Elite QB on Feb 8, 2013 | Reply

The problem, Byrdman, is that Rex has been up on the roof yelling, “Top of the world, Ma!” for years without having the slightest idea what he’s doing as HC. Once Idzik takes care of that, things in Jet Nation will get a lot better.