• Sat., Nov. 22, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Almost Time for Next HOF Vote on Bill Parcells

Posted by Randy Lange on February 1, 2013 – 2:10 pm

It’s time for the NFL to sit back in NOLA, take a deep breath, and put its party pants on for tonight and tomorrow in advance of Sunday night’s Super Bowl. The Harbaughs conducted their I-Concur news conference this morning, Commissioner Goodell’s wrapped up his annual state-of-the-league Q&A, and there’s not much else of an official nature to do down by the banks of the Mississippi except to laissez les bon temps rouler.

Except for some serious work of 46 individuals who will be virtually locked in a New Orleans meeting room for eight hours beginning Saturday morning.

Those 46 are the members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee who will choose this year’s Class of ’13 for entrance into football’s shrine. Before them tomorrow morning along with their French roast coffee and beignets will be the list of 17 HOF final candidates, which they will proceed to prune away to no fewer than four and no more than seven members of this year’s class.

And the name on the list that most Jets fans will be keenly interested in is that of Bill Parcells.

Certainly it’s the top name on the list made by Curtis Martin, who made the Hall last year and was presented for enshrinement by Parcells in Canton last August.

“Bill’s more than deserving,” Martin told me from his Florida home this afternoon. “I’m not one of those guys that will look back and say he should’ve been in last year or whatever. At the end of the day it is what it is. But I’m really hoping and I do believe that he’ll make it this year, and I’m really looking forward to going back out there to Canton and celebrating it with him.”

Parcells was a finalist along with Martin a year ago, but unlike his superb running back, the Tuna couldn’t swim upstream from the final 10 candidates into the final five. In less than a day he’ll try to make that climb again.

Another who thinks he’ll do it is Gary Myers, the Daily News columnist and Selection Committee member who was the point man in guiding Martin’s candidacy to fruition last year and this year will also be making the Parcells presentation to the committee.

“Bill’s impact on the game, I believe, makes his a very strong case,” Myers said in his piece in the News this morning. “If Parcells isn’t a Hall of Famer, then just who is?”

Much of Myers’ presentation and the discussion “in the room” will no doubt deal with Parcells’ credentials with the Giants, who won two Super Bowls under his command, and his Patriots, who made one Super appearance. But his four-year stop with the Jets, from 1997-99 as head coach and in 2000 running the football operations, will also factor into the discussion.

Parcells arrived in ’97 and turned the Jets around from their 4-28 record of the previous two seasons into a winning team that was in the playoff hunt until their 13-10 loss at Detroit in the final game of the regular season. In ’98 he directed them all the way to a 10-0 lead early in the third quarter of the AFC Championship Game before their season came to an end at Denver. Injuries crushed the start of the ’99 season, but by the end of the year the Jets were the proverbial team nobody would’ve wanted to face if they had made the playoffs. The 2000 season was filled with promise until a disastrous December downturn.

And then Bill was gone. The one playoff berth and title-game appearance wasn’t what Parcells or anyone else in Jets Nation wanted, and yet he was the first coach in franchise history to produce 30 wins in a three-year span, the first to preside over 40 wins in a four-year span. The Jets were the third of the four franchises he guided to playoff berths, an NFL coaching record. He brought the Green & White back to relevancy as in the last 16 years the Jets have made seven playoff appearances and posted 10 winning seasons, as good as or better than the totals in those two categories over the franchise’s previous 37 seasons.

Of course there are no guarantees. The dynamics that last year kept Parcells out in his third time as a Hall finalist could repeat. A new field of well-qualified finalists could freeze Bill out of the final-five again.

But this year just feels like it’s “temps” that BP “roule.” As Myers said, if not Parcells, who? As Martin told me, “I can’t imagine Bill not being in the Hall of Fame two years in a row. Last year was kind of hard to believe. This year would be incredibly hard to understand.”

The Selection Committee members know that as well. Sometime shortly after 5:30 p.m. ET tomorrow, I suspect that Parcells will begin his ascension into the pigskin pantheon.

We’ll have a follow-up story on Bill Parcells’ Hall of Fame candidacy Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Tags: , , ,

102 Responses to “Almost Time for Next HOF Vote on Bill Parcells”

1. By Tom Spicer on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

As I had said before I never watched Glennon play while I have seen multiple games that Geno Smith & Tyler Wilson have played. Anyway the negative stuff I was reading about Glennon was saying he had zero mobility & that he was to skinny. Well Kiper has him as the best QB prospect coming out the guy is 6’7 he towers over the O line. He is 220 lbs people say he is to skinny I say that is nothing when he puts on what I like to call “man weight” he will be at least 240. If he sticks to the weights he can be 265 like Big Ben. He has a cannon for an arm some have compared him to Joe Flacco. I just watched a 5 minute highlight clip of this guy on Bleacher report (I know 5 minutes is nothing) But this guy looked like a poor mans Andrew Luck

2. By Tom Spicer on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Also in the video they showed him scramble a few times. I am not saying he is Mike Vick or anything like that but he is not a statue back there the few times he ran he picked up a few yards. The way they described him I thought he was a snail anyway he has enough speed to avoid the rush, has a cannon for a arm & has the size. I would not at all be opposed to the Jets taking this guy!

3. By scjoe on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Why Parcells was not voted in last year is a head scratcher to me. Love him or hate him (many sportswriters choose the latter) you have to look at his accomplishments, you have to look at how he turned multiple franchises around in a minimal amount of time. He is one of a handful of coaches who make a difference. So, what is the problem??

4. By scjoe on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Cimini has his top 5 that he feels should be inducted, so why can’t I? My top 5 Parcells, Modell, Ogdon, Allen, Haley

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Hmm, that’s very encouraging on Glennon, Spicer.

6. By GaryC on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

When the combine comes around the two things I will be interested in is Mingo’s reps at 225 and Teo’s 40 time.those numbers will decide where these guys go and how the first round will change.

7. By GaryC on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

I thought without Eli and Peyton not here I would be Manning free but then I see Miss Olivia pushing rice recipes on the Nfl network.Must be a Manning Family driven league.

8. By Ronbo19 on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, Unlike you I have seen quite a bit of Glennon and there is no way I would take him at #9! I dont care what video you saw on bleacher report(it was probably made by his agent) What I saw was a guy who looked indeciseve, had poor pocket awareness and poor mobility.Yes he has a great arm and could develope into a legit Q.B down the road but can a team with so many holes afford to take a chance on him early when next yearas draft will feature at least 4 cant miss Q.B’s including Johnny ‘football”Manzeil, Teddy Bridgewater.

9. By IRA on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

I am sure Parcells gets in this year. Too bad the writers did not put him in last year so he could go in with Curtis. Not right that a few writers had to ruin a special moment like that. Wonder if Parcells picks Simms or LT to speak before he is inducted into the HOF.
    Let’s wait and see where these QB’s are after they have their Pro Days and the combine results are in. I am not against them drafting a QB if they feel there is one that they think can be their QB of the future. I don’t want to waste any picks on a QB this year just for the sake of taking one. I would rather get a free agent, keep McElroy and if they are stuck with Sanchez let the three battle it out in camp. Next year the QB class is much better.

10. By Karan on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

This is what the offensive depth chart I think should look like next season:
    (trying to make it as realistic, hopefully its affordable)

QB: Mark Sanchez, Matt Moore, Jason Campbell
    OR
    Mark Sanchez, Matt Flynn, Greg McElroy

HB: Rashard Mendenhall, Bilal Powell, Joe McKnight
    OR
    Reggie Bush, Bilal Powell, Joe McKnight

FB: Lex Hilliard OR Greg Jones OR Corey McIntyre OR Owen Schmitt

11. By Karan on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

TE: Dustin Keller, Jeff Cumberland, Konrad Reuland, Hayden Smith, Josh Baker. ( I like the current TEs we have, but the TE depth chart will be different)
    Other TE options to bring in: Travis Beckham, Tom Crabtree, Richie Brockel, K Ed Dickson, Todd Heap

WR: Braylon Edwards, Percy Harwin, Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, J-Co
    OR
    Braylon Edwards, Percy Harwin, Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, Lee Evans

( I think either or would make an excellent set of WRs, I’m not the biggest fan of Santonio so I didn’t mention him even though he’ll most likely come back, but I think those 5 options can be affordable)

OL: re-sign Howard, Slauson, Moore and get depth, your set

12. By Karan on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Only knock on Percy is and I know some of you have mentioned it earlier is his migraines. Thats an unforunate part of his game because the is really very talented. Still, with the right depth, I wouldn’t mind having him sign with gang green at all.

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Here’s a post I like from ESPN’s story on LT trashing the Jets once again, which I think he should stop doing even if he’s right about Sanchez: “They traded up in first round to pick Sanchez 5th overall. He has been rated in the 30′s for 4 straight years in both QB ratings systems. The guy is a TOTAL BUST.” At this point, I agree completely and don’t feel like sticking with MS any longer, especially in a WCO. So if Spicer’s right about Glennon, I say do it. Folks don’t often mention that CAR drafted Clausen, Pike, and Edwards, THREE QBS, the very yr before they drafted Newton (and GaryC’s still not happy!). If you ain’t got a really good QB, you got nuthin’!

14. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Karan, your roster is a one-way ticket to 2-14. If that’s the idea — throwing away next yr, drafting high again, and not looking to win until 2015 or so — all right, no harm done. But you’re kidding yourself if you think we’re going anywhere with a list of losers, retreads, and has-beens like that. I’m surprised you don’t want Schilens and Gates back.

15. By GaryC on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

JetFanTom,Carolina still might be looking for a very good quarterback,those quarterbacks win at least ONE PLAYOFF GAME.

16. By GaryC on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Karan,please tell me why Matt Moore or Jason Campbell would want to be third string.

17. By GaryC on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Jetfantom,this guy Edwards,is that the little lefty from Appalachian State,I would not consider him a pro quarterback,Dennard Robinson coming out this year is just like him,very small and looking for another position.

18. By IRA on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Tom,
    Thing with LT trashing the Jets is that he got the story wrong. We all know they cut Chad before the 08 season. That was a year before they drafted Sanchez.
    Balt 27- SF 23

19. By Ronbo19 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

KARAN, thank god you are not the G.M. Your so-called depth chart is like a who’s who in NFL oblivion. Do you really think Sanchez should be listed anywhere(let alone 1st?) Mendenhal? are you kidding?Why not just bring back Greene as they are basically clones?Keller? are you kidding? a 6-1 T.E who cant block or stay healthy?Moore & Slauson? come on dude, your basically bringing back the same team that just went 6-10 and adding a couple of guys who cant stay healthy or who’s current teams dont want back.TOM64, Spicer is back on the whacky tabaccy in regards to Glennon. I guarantee you will be pulling your hair out if we pick him at #9. next year at thus time you will be begging to package him with Sanchez to the Alaskian dog sled league!

20. By Tom Spicer on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I did not say I wanted the Jets to take Glennon with the 9th pick they can trade up to get him or in a even better senario they can trade back pick a extra picks & take him after 9. Also if Jarvis Jones & the other good pass rsuhing prospects are off of the board. If the Jets think Glennon if a franchise QB then I have no problem with them taking him 9. Rather the reaching for a guy like Mingo. You say there are 4 cant miss QB prospects next year coming out. Who are these 4 cant miss QB prospects? I would not call Bridewater a cant miss prospect a cant miss prospect is Andrew Luck. As of rigt now there are no Andrew Lucks I know of. I will give you Johnny Football but aside from him they are ALL gambles. Lets see how these next 3

21. By Tom Spicer on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

months pan out witht the combine & pro days. QBS always shoot up the board as the draft approaches come the end of April you never know some guys may be saying we are crazy if we dont take Glennon, Wilson or Smith witht the 9th pick!

22. By Frank on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

There is no way we should draft a QB with the ninth pick. There is not a single QB in this draft that is elite and we have so many pressing needs. We need a new philosophy and start drafting the best player available regardless of need that is how you build a team for the long haul. If anything we should accumulate picks by moving back in the first round. Other than Revis all the trading up for players and giving up draft picks has been a bust.
    We have plenty of options to explore in the QB market including Smith, Flynn and Moore to name a few. Personally I am hoping Flacco lights up the 49ers secondary and the Ravens win that would open up Revis for Smith plus a high round draft pick.

23. By Ronbo19 on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, The problem i have with you saying your o.k with takeing Glennon with our #9 pick(after watching a 5 min.video no less?) is you were the same guy who defended Sanchez to the final game he played and basically gave away by himself. So now we draft Glennon who also will have no weapons as we used our #1 pick on a Q.B and have no cap room to sign free agents? So when Glennon trips over his own feet dropping back to pass, fumbles the ball away or throws 4 pic’s in a game trying to force the ball into tight coverage we all have to hear its not his fault because he has a bad O.L & lousey recievers? Hey, I luv ya dude but we need to aim higher. How about we solidify our O.L, get a pass rusher & a safty to replace L.Landry who’s a goner?

24. By GaryC on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Johnny Manziell,please,this guy makes Tom Thumb look like Gulliver,he looks like he is 5’9,can you imagine if he got hit by Hgolati Nata,mosquito on a window.

25. By Tom Spicer on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, 1 AGAIN name the 4 cant miss QB’S coming out next year? There is maybe 1! 2 I said if the Jets feel he is a franchise QB & all the other guys projected to potentially go to us are gone. I would rather take the QB than to reach for another Vernon Gholston. I did not say I wanted Glennon at 9. 3 He would not have lousey WR’S with Holmes back, resign Braylon (could be had for the veteran minimum), Kerley & resign Keller. 4 I was the guy who backed Sanchez until he gave away the final game that is 100% WRONG similar to 4 cant miss QB prospects for next year. You backed Sanchez prior to the season just liked I did. I was the guy on this site who started the what QB we should draft next to replace Sanchez talk. You have selective memory!

26. By Tom Spicer on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I was NOT the same guy who defended Sanchez up until the final game. You have selective memory we both backed him at the start of the season & of the guys who were Sanchez backers at the start of the year. I was the 1st one on this site talking about what QB we should draft this year. I never said I wanted to take Glennon with the 9th pick I said. If the good OLB prospects are off the board I would rather take a QB than reach for a Vernon Gholston type bust. You did not answer my question who are these 4 “cant miss” QB prospects that are coming out next year?

27. By Karan on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Alright guys, so what do you think the offensive roster should look like next year? I’m speaking from what could be afforable. Would I love to have superstars? Heck ya, I would but the Jets can’t afford it. Mendenhall isn’t a clone of Greene, he’s stronger and faster. Greene is horrible. You all no I support Sanchez so no explanantion there. I’ve heard Matt Moore and Flynn being mentioned on this site plenty, so whats wrong with that? Percy is a really fast receiver, Braylon and Kerley are keepers no doubt. I don’t know why people don’t see Keller as a threat but its really because he has not been utilized properly. He can be a threat when used properly and ya, I know he’s a better receiver than blocker. Jason Campbell, ya, I’ll give…….

28. By Karan on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

….ya that, I got tired of thinking of more options, he just came to mind. Once again, if it was up to me I would love to have a roster like the 49ers or even receivers like the Giants have but the Jets aren’t in the best cap situation. So tell me those of you who disagree, who would you want the receivers to be, running backs?? I know Sanchez is outta the question for you and I understand that but list something.

29. By Karan on Feb 2, 2013 | Reply

Mendenhall and Keller got injured for one season, it doesn’t mean there game will be effected forever. Players get injured all the time, thats life in the NFL, at least they are not injured year in and year out.

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Awed by the Brilliance of Jet Fans on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, I don’t lay winning or losing playoff games entirely at the feet of QBs. And my pt wasn’t Edwards could be an NFL QB but that CAR picked 4 college QBS in 2 yrs. Ira, LT was wrong about Chad of course but right as rain about Sanchez. Ronbo, your post to Karan has more great one-liners than a Billy Wilder-I.A.L. Diamond screenplay. Spicer, I admire your refusal to panic over picking Glennon or another QB. That guy they put into the HOF today, isn’t he the one who said you should try to draft a QB every yr? Only in fear-driven Jetland (like I’ve said, it all dates back to Joe’s knees going out again) could so many fans fret over even implying that “Mark” might not be the guy. If the Jets picked 2 QBs every yr for 3 yrs it couldn’t hurt.

31. By BillsJets on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Bring back Fireman Ed

32. By MIKE on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Jets have to go with OL or OLB in 1st round of draft. Even in the 2nd, unless Geno Smith falls I would stay away from QB till the 3rd round. Too much money invested in Sanchez.
    Jets will ned help at OLB, OG, OT, just as much as QB, the exception is that there is no easy fix at QB.
    Mingo, Jones, or Warmack. in first round.

33. By carl on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Devin Hester lookin for trade! speed kills !! he’s got it! What do you guys think of that!!!! Go Faster Jets!!!!

34. By carl on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

I like the way Crows talkin! Team unity is important you only have a few games to figure out what the guys are doin next to you in the heat of battle!!! I ‘m tellin you right now if we can get Ed Reed ,resign LaRon , what sick secondary!!! More speed is needed at linebacker!!! Go faster Jets!!!!

35. By IRA on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

I failed to mention in my earlier post that all Jets fans should be thankful to Parcells for changing the franchise when he took over. Even though we haven’t won the SB its been a very good run something that might not have happened if not for Parcells.

36. By carl on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Who’s gonna trade for Tebow?NOBODY!!! USE HIM!!!!!! PRACTICE PLAYS WITH HIM!!!!!! HE HAS WON THE HEISMAN AND COLLEGE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!DESIGN O AROUND HIM!!!!!!GO FASTER JETS!!!!!!!!!!!

37. By Byrdman on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Spicer – Glennon isn’t a “poor mans Luck” he the Welfare Cheese version!
    Andrew Luck has incredible pocket presence and the uncanny knack for escaping when things break-down. Glennon looks slow footed and awkward, He’s Sesame Street’s Big Bird in a football uniform (check out that neck on MG) If you watched the Senior Bowl, E.J Manual looked much more dynamic – If you’re enamored with Glennon’s “Big Arm” then from what scouts are saying, Manual’s may be even better. Like tall QB’s? Tyler Bray is listed at 6’6″ great arm, accurate, lets grab him in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round and put the guy on a body building program.
    Geno Smith was the only legit first round pick this draft – until he got exposed. Now Kiper has anointed Glennon :D

38. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Awed by the Brilliance of Jet Fans on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Here’s what the roster should be made up of for the next few years, Karan: Draft choices.

39. By Ronbo19 on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

O.K, Spicer, heres your 4 cant miss Q.B’s, 1-J.Manziel(sorry GARY C) he is a legit 6-01/2 (which make him 2 inches taller than Russell Wilson)throws an accurate ball with good velocity.Needs to work on the deep ball but can chuck it 60 yrds. far enough. Do I need to mention he is an amazing runner? #2 -Teddy Bridgewater 6-3 1/2 235 Louisville, rocket arm, can make all the throws, makes great decisions, accurate, throws a great deep ball,excellent pocket presence, cna run when he chooses, Dude he is the complete package #3 marcus Mariota, 6-4 220 Oregon,can make all the throws,great arm,quick releas, runs like a W.R, again, the complete package.#4 Kevin Hogan 6-4 225 Stanford.Already being compared to Luck,he has the same physical abilty-

40. By Ronbo19 on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

cont- Now,am I saying saying any of these guys will be as good as Luck or R.G.III?
    Heck no! I’m not Nostrdamus, but i have been reading about these guys since their high school days and I watch them every time they are on T.V.Bye the way there are other like Brett Hundley 6-4 235 UCLALogan Thomas 6-6 265 Va. Tech,A.J macarron 6-4 22 Bama who will also be available(not to mention Aaron Murray from Ga) so believe me when I tell you next years class will be amazing.

41. By scjoe on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

Guys, you are putting to much thought in to college QBs, this years class or next years. History has taught us, convincingly I might add, that there are no sure things. There is no science either. Here are a few names to remember, all of which had size, and big arms, and were drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, David Klingler Akili Smith, Tim Couch, David Carr, Blaine Gabbert, Jimmy Clausen, Brian Brohm, Brady Quinn, Chad Henne, Kellen Clemons, Kevin Kolb, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and of course, lets not forget Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow. Did I leave anyone out? THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES!

42. By scjoe on Feb 3, 2013 | Reply

One more note on that “impressive” list above. How many SB wins do those teams have collectively with those QBs as starters? How many SB appearances? How many playoff appearances?

43. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

How in the world does Warren sapp get inducted in HOF and Joe Klecko is not??? The only player in NFL History to go to the pro-bowl at 3 different positions!!!!!..Warren Sapp??? Joe was unblockable…Even the great Anthony Munoz said that Joe was just as hard to block as Bruce Smith….Not taking anything away from Warren Sapp…but to me…Klecko was a much better player. Now…back to the NYJ. In a perfect world the Jets should trade Tebow to Philly. Let TT run Chip Kelly’s offense which makes sense. I know some people might not like this BUT..I say bring in Vick…Send Sanchez to Arizona pay half of the 8.2M let AZ take the other half of the contract at 4.1M ,. Set up G-mac as your back-up and draft a qb in this years draft.

44. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Having Vick here maynot be so bad, being that he knows Marty M. offense already. Our O-Line played better then what Vick had in philly. He might have a decent season throwing to Holmes/Edwards/Kerley. if Sanchez is gone…Keller looks like he ready to move on…maybe Atlanta? Do the Jets pull off a trade with 49ers Revis for Smith? These are all rumors…But I guess we can all agree…Any QB out there is better then what we have now. Montana made a great point about Sanchez…’Think about it for one second..giving your QB a Red/Yellow/Green colored coded wrist band to inform you what to throw and what not to throw, may very well tell you what you need to know from your qb’s football IQ”…”that should have sent up red flags right there!”.

45. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Watching the Superbowl, this kid kapernick has a cannon. He runs like Randell Cunnigham throws like Brett Farve…and his spiral is just as pretty as the ones Rodgers throws. Give this kid a dynamic WR and oh boy…watch out!….I heard the Ryan actually scouted kapernick…Randy is this true?

46. By Jetfan74 on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

I’ve heard all kinds of answers as to how we fix this mess and all I can say is the solution better not include a majority of the guys that were on this yrs roster. At this point I would take a 2&3 for Revis so we can rebuild this thing the right way. If I were building this thing then you have to start up front, and seeings we don’t have any starters at G or RT, well you get my drift!! OL early and often cuz there is plenty of talent there to fill the holes. Don’t tell me we need an OLB cuz my response is we spend more time in a nickel or some other sub package w/ 2 LB’s on the field anyways. If we can snake a couple top 100 picks, or even 3, for Revis then we can fill most of the holes in the starting line up. Maybe we can stock pile all of the Cromarties, not the Trufants. Heard that somewhere and I like my idea way better.

47. By Ronbo19 on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, point well taken. While there are no guarantees on my list I believe some educated obsevation can lessen the likelyhood of drafting one of the busts you listed above. As I said to SPICER, I make no claims on being the 2nd coming of Nostradamus, just offering up my observations on who might be available to help us down the road. Also, most of those mentioned will be red-shirt sophs next year which makes them technically Jr’s and eliagible for next years draft. I would be surprised if all of them came out but after seeing how much Matt Barkley’s stock has dropped I’m thinking at least half of them will come out early. But again, i salute your excellent point!

48. By Ronbo19 on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

ALLAN “O”, well your right about one thing, I dont like your Mike Vick idea. While I grant you he can be a human highlight reel at times I do feel he is a declineing athlete who has had too many injuries and outside issues for us to bring in at this time. With Ring Master Rex still running this circus i cant see Vick being anything but another side show attraction like Tebow was last year. Now would he be an improvment over Sanchez? oh yeah, but again, I dont think it would be worth the trouble it could cause. I do agree Klecko is at least equally deserving as W.Sapp as they both had amazing careers.i still cant believe we chose Anthony Becht over Sapp in the draft? Bye the way, nice comparison of Kaepernick & R.Cunningham.

49. By Ronbo19 on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

KARAN,
    Q.B, M.Moore-perfect hold the fort till we get our ‘franchise(not Sanchise) Q.B
    R.B, draft Montae Ball or M Lattimore
    T.E sign a free agent, Cumberlin & Reuland o.k as back ups- Dump Keller
    O.T, Brick o.k, explore f/a market for R.T, mabey draft2nd rd(Howard if all else fails
    O.G-re-sing Slauson, draft 2nd or 3rd rd or re-sing Moore (if cheap1 yr deal)
    C Mangold no -bainer
    D.T Ellis-Harrison, draft- mid rd + 1 F/a
    D.E Coples, Wilk (Devito if cheap) or 1F/A 1 later draft pick
    OLB 1-high draft pk,+ 1 F/a, with McIntyre B/up dump Pace & B.Thomas
    I.L.B Harris,D.Davis, + Bellore & Mauga as B/Ups
    C.B, trade Cro or Revis & Wilson, need 1 starter, Berry,Trufan,& langster b/ups
    S, dump smith,Bell back,1f/a 1 draft choice

50. By Tom Spicer on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I dont want to argue with you so I am going to say this & than I am goign to drop it. I do not agree that those guys are cant miss prospects.

51. By kleckofan on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

“Blame No One, Expect Nothing, Do Something” is my favorite Parcells quote, it hangs in my office and one of my kid’s rooms. The guy definitely was a game changer and hearing Curtis’ stories tells you Parcells was a leader of men. The last of a dying breed. Congats.
    Ira- you’re kidding about who should intoduce Parcells right? LT is not a consideration for obvious reasons. Curtis or Phil. I’d bet on Curtis.
    I do not even want to entertain the thought of Mendenhall at RB; a guy who questioned the US celebrating the death of Bin Laden? No thanks.
    Spice/RonBo- the thing that bothers me most about Glennon was Mayock saying more than once during the Senior Bowl that he saw no leadership characterstics in him. Been there…

52. By kleckofan on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

AllanO thanks for pointing out the injustice in Klecko not being in before Sapp, outrageous.
    Thanks LaDainian for speaking the truth.
    Scjoe- thanks for that depressing list of QB busts. As I continue to say, QB this yr only in later rounds. Get Matt Moore. BTW, the list of busts drafted as “elite pass rushers” is probably close to as long.
    GB drafted QB’s in every draft for yrs.

53. By GaryC on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

You need to have good public relations,Sapp is on Espn all the time,same as Carter,you have people talking them up,who in the media talks up Klecko,not many,where is Joe Walton or Walt Michaels to talk him up,at this point the only way Klecko will get in is by the veterans committee,It also helps to be on a winner.

54. By scjoe on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Ron, that list above is not a reflection on your expectations for college QBs either this year or next, it is more about the fact that you never quite get what you see, or what you “think” you are getting with college QBs. It takes a combination of quality scouting, plenty of homework, watching endless hours of tape, and a lot of luck to come out of this thing with a quality QB. Same can be said for most positions I would say, but none quite as critical as the QB. So, bottom line, I hope that the Jets FO and scouting dept are doing there “due diligence” and at the same time, have a little more luck in this years draft then they been having in recent drafts.

55. By Byrdman on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo – I like your roster above except: QB Moore will not come as cheap as we’d like. Do we take a flyer in 4th round on a Tyler Bray type?
    There are 3 or 4 very interesting TE’s in this draft.
    DT – what if a monster player similar to Kris Jenkins is on the board in 2nd,4th?
    CB – Berry could start next year with Revis – Trade Cro/Wilson Trufant is the best nickel back on the roster (hope he returns healthy) Lankster sux !
    Safety – what do you do with Landry? I like him @SS up in the box destroying anything with the ball, then we draft or find a “ballhawk” FS The Jets secondary could be absolutely BRUTAL!
    All your sure thing QB’s won’t come out till 2014 – DId we pick the wrong year to stink up the field?

56. By Byrdman on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Allan – There are several reasons why Vick isn’t coming here.
    He and Marty have no desire to be reunited, it’s a mutual thing.
    Vick is simply not the same player he was in his prime and was surrounded with talent and speed in Philly – won’t have that luxury here.
    He has earned the dreaded “Injury Prone” label, tough to shake.
    He wants a boatload of money – Jets don’t have it.
    He’s a 3 ring circus side-show (due to his criminal history) with a cult like following similar to Tebow, Woody won’t bring another distraction to NY – in my opinion. I like Vick as a player, the dog thing doesn’t bother me, he’s just not a good fit for this team right here and now.

57. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo19..As I look over your list Moore would be the ideal fit for now until we get our “Andrew Luck”.. I Just thought since Marty M. was already here having Vick would make more sense. I know Vick gets hurt alot, but to me it’s because he was running for his life. NYJ has a much better O-line. Vick would have been my bandaid qb like Moore. But point well taken on Vick. As far as Lattimore goes..if he falls in the draft and if by some reason we can grab him, the NYJ should take this kid, we missed out on Vontaze hate to see NYJ miss out on this kid too. This team has to focus on the Offensive side of the ball in this years draft. WE NEED PLAYMAKERS!!!! I know my buddy 64Tom ain’t gonna be to happy with my Vick idea…LOL..

58. By Ronbo19 on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

S>C.Joe, I understand your point & again, it is well taken. As I stated, I have no crystal ball, but as a former player and coach I believe I have a better than avg eye for talent. Although i wansn’t with you guys prior to last jan, thus I am sking you to take my word, i was a big Colin Kaepernick fan through out his career in Nevada. Hey, the guy was 6-5, rocket arm & ran all over the place. i was amazed how little I heard or read about him and was shocked how lightly regarded he was by Kiper & even Mcshay/ Obviously Luck was a hearalded “no-brainer” but i was also on R.G.3 before the main-stream jumped on as well. I like the guys I mentioned because they have all or most of the physical qualities teams seem to be looking for in a modern-

59. By Ronbo19 on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

continue- NFL Q.B. Again, these kids all have high completion %, low turnover rates, and they all can run as well. If you google them & google this years class I believe you will see where I’m coming from.SPICER, Dude, its o.k to disagree, the discussions we have here are not personal. i certianly dont take anything that way and I pray no one takes anything I say that way? A final word on those Q.B’s, do a little research and I think you’l see they are considered among the best. I’m not saying we should fall in love with any of them but they do have the tools to excell. Not saying they definately will, just that the physical ability is there.

60. By Ronbo19 on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAN, Dont worry bro, we will stink again this coming season so we will probably have a shot at one of the Q.B’s. L.Landry is an interesting problem. He has publically stated there will be no home team discount? The interesting part is he was the 25th ranked safty after this past season so one has to wonder if he is as highly regardarded around the league as he apparently thinks he is.Inspite of his impressive hits he does blow a lot of coverages and is simply not as good against the pass as he thinks he is. Matt Moore is simply my favorite choice as a temp soloution as he wont cost as much as Flynn or Smith in regard to the cap and having to trade draft picks.Bye the way, i loved your above post to Spicer.Hilarious dude!

61. By Jet Fan Since '64 Ready for the New QB on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

I agree with you on both counts on Vick, Allan — no, I wouldn’t be thrilled with him, though I admit I said that more vehemently before we hired MM. With MM coming, Vick for a yr or so might make sense if he took less money. But yeah, the important point is: What QB out of the top 35 or so in the league except for maybe the guy on the Browns WOULDN’T be better than Sanchez?!

62. By Byrdman on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo – Yeah, if anything Landry should give the Jets a discount for reviving his career- maybe he’s just posturing for the media and potential suitors.
    I think when Revis went down it had a domino effect and Landry was forced into more ‘coverage’ that’s never been his forte’ – He’s a heat seeking missile !
    Saw Aaron Berry play before he had off-field issues, Detroit was forced to cut him. They were between Rock&Hardplace – the team was planning to start him at corner but had like five or six guys hit the police blotter sheet that offseason. I’m picturing Revis + Berry (both from Pitt) at CB Trufant = Nickel
    Landry at SS instructed to simply destroy the ball-carrier, forget coverage
    FS = Cromartie in CENTERFIELD any thoughts?

63. By Byrdman on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Or Shop Cromartie and draft a pure ball-hawking free safety. I think Cro plays best (more int’s) when he’s peeking into the back-field and then using his incredible make up speed to make the pick. You probably noticed I don’t mention Kyle Wilson in my secondary – maybe he’s a FS pretending to be a corner too. Bush and Allen are virtually unknown so, Bell will likely be resigned – wish he was 10 years younger, he’d be a good man to help couch up the rookies.
    Watching the SB I was thinking “Neither one of these teams covers TE’s and Wide-outs very well” But they get into your backfield and blow plays up. If Jets can develop 2 pass rushers – the D could be top 3 caliber.

64. By Ronbo19 on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

ALLAN O, yeah, I always like what you bring here as i said before, always well thought out logical stuff. Byrdman makes a lot of good points above concerning Vic’s less than cordial relationship with M.M, as well as his injury history. I’m not as sure as you are that our O-line is that much(if any ) better than phillies? truthfully, I do greatly differ with Byrdman about the dog thing.As my wife & I have raised 4 Boston Terriers (goofy black in white-pushed- in faces,seen in lots of commercials lately) I cant say I could ever embrace any one who could subject any animal to the brutality Vick did. I’m all for forgiving & 2nd chances but as for forgetting??? I dont think so!

65. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

Here’s a thought…In the westcoast offense the primary objective is short, accurate passes..with a strong running game, which then opens up the play action. Looking at all the qb’s available there’s one QB that fits this system almost to well. Ryan Fitzpatrick. I gave this one a lot of thought..and if the NYJ can either re-sign Keller ( which I doubt ) or start Cumberland ( who I think has some talent ) The TE is very important in the WC, with a good back ( maybe Lattimore ) this offense may go in the right direction. Holmes will give you the 5-6 yards you need on the outpost. Kerley will give you the 3-5 yards you need in the slant. Edwards can give you the deep ball. It’s a temporary fix but a fix I can deal with Until Cowher is HC.

66. By Byrdman on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

Vick & Dog Fighting – I want to rephrase a previous post where I stated the dog fighting issue didn’t “bother” me. Should have said it won’t deter me from ever accepting the player as a Jet. I love animals and was absolutely disgusted and outraged when I heard all the gory details and of Vicks involvement.
    I also heard Vick never really had a strong Father figure in his life and grew up in a dog fighting cultural setting where it’s condoned. I know a woman that runs a rescue mission for greyhounds, they get horribly mistreated and then destroyed when their racing careers are over. I had no idea- believe we’d be SHOCKED at the unsavory things NFL players do in private, They just haven’t been EXPOSED yet – Vick’s were, on national TV!

67. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman..I always said that Cro should be a FS due to his range and ball hawking skills…but this guy doesn’t like to tackle he goes in for the shoulder hit all the time. If he would just bring the “wood” he would make a great FS.
    64Tom..Whoever the qb on this team is it has to be a Vet.Qb who can come in and win a few games when the #1 goes down. Whether it be Vick,Moore,Fitzpatrick all I know is that #6 cannot be under center in 2013. Maybe we will find our “Andrew Luck” in this years draft or the 2014 draft. OR we just trade Revis for Smith..who knows?
    Ronbo19..Vick and MM don’t get along? that was a piece of information I did not know…gonna have to fire my research team…LOL…

68. By Tom Spicer on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

I brougth up the Fitzpatrick thing earlier I have read on multiple occasions that the Bills will be cutting him out right & drafting a new QB. I think he would be the best free agent QB out there for us to sign.

69. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the New QB on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

You should do stand-up, Allan, the way you offer all this smart analysis of the WCO, why Fitz might work in it for us, how the receivers will fit in, then undercut it all with that tongue-in-cheek line about Cowher. Not just good football thinking but also good comic timing!

70. By Ronbo19 on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

ALLAN O, actually someone posted the Vick M.M thing here on Randy’s Radar, (dont remember who?) If thats the case I dont see a reunion happaning here. I thought your idea to bring in Ryan Fitz as a temporary fix is worth considering.Hey, its all about options at this point. I also agree Cro’s lack of physicality would probably make him a less than Ed Reed like F.S? I agree he is a ballhawk, but he doesn’t impress me as the brightest bulb in the box so I would question his ability to grasp assignments in pass coverages?

71. By Ronbo19 on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAN,No sweat, i dont think anyone here thought you were advocating dog-fighting. Personally, I just wanted to be perfectly clear how I feel about that subject but just so you know, I wasn’t being critical of you. As I always say, I get a great deal of pleasure reading your post as they are always intellegent, and usually hilarious as well. As always, we are cool!

72. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

64Tom..at this point I’m willing to do anything so I can watch this team play without being embrassed by this HC. I’m willing to give this GM a pass for next 4yrs to see how well he builds this team. But as long as Ryan is at the helm…I just can’t see this team taken seriously. Most teams take on the persona of their coach..look at NE..cold..machine like…Ravens&49ers brusing…tough as nails…What’s Ryan?…Brash,,foot in your mouth…talk the talk…never walks the walk.This is what our team has become. Namath said it ” Maybe this team is not as good as they THINK they are”…You shouldn’t have to think you are good..you just know it. Ryan is not HC material. That’s why I like cowher…no nonsense…in your face but backs it up.

73. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo19..as long as Sanchez is not the QB. He’s done. Deion Sanders stated that if you look at the colts…same team as last year…not that much talent on either side of the ball..change the QB..different story…same as Washington and the Seahawks. He believes even with talent Sanchez does not have the mental makeup to be a starting NFL QB…His thoughts..”The NYJ should just move on from Sanchez”.. At least we know Ryan Fitz won’t need a color coded wrist band with “Red-Yellow-Green”..lol..he’s from Havard…

74. By Byrdman on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

Allan – I agree that Rex looks overwhelmed as HC. My concern with Cower is that Pittsburgh is such a storied franchise with a tradition and established system in place, from the owner down to the equipment guy that fills the Gatorade barrels. When a player retires or gets traded they already have his replacement on the roster. Cower leaves, they never miss a beat, I would argue that Tomlin has done a better job there. Cower is getting comfortable in that game analysts chair – he may have already lost the edge.
    Another thing to consider is that the Steelers were by far the best team in a weak division while Cower was there, they beat up on laughingstock teams like Cinci and Cleveland. Not sure how well ole “Bitter Beer Face” would do in NY

75. By scjoe on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

Just like to add my 2 cents on the Michael Vick dog fighting subject, for what it is worth. I don’t consider myself an “animal lover” Per Ce, I never owned one, probably never will, BUT, when I read the complete story, small print and all, I can say with out any doubt, I have NO respect for this man what so ever! There have been plenty of decent young men who had no real “father figure” going on in life and doing the right thing. I can say I know some personally. So “if” this player were to ever put on a NY Jets jersey, I honestly don’t know how I would react. It would be a stretch to say I would no longer follow the team, but don’t know the answer to that for sure. Hope I don;t have to find out.

76. By Byrdman on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Ronbo – I didn’t think you were being critical of me at all, when I reread my previous Vick comment, it just didn’t communicate what I intended, and needed some clarification.
    In regards to Cro at FS – Yeah it’s risky, I’m probably overestimating his ability a bit. I like they way Charles Woodson effortlessly made the switch from corner to safety as he got older, playing at Probowl level.
    We might already have a decent FS in Josh Bush – he was a ballhawk at Wake Forrest.
    WAITING for Jets to announce the following roster cuts: Pace, Thomas, Erik Smith, Jason Smith, Bart Scott.
    WATCHING for Keller, Greene, Moore and Slauson to leave as FA’s.
    HOPING to hear Wilson, Cro,Tebow traded for picks.
    DREAMING – Sanchez is UNLOADED somehow

77. By Ronbo19 on Feb 7, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAN, your above post as usual is spot on. The roster moves are anxiously awaited by us all. As for Cro, yes he is a gifted athlete, great size,speed athletic agility ect. Where he falls short to a guy like Ed Reed or Charles Woodson is the apparent cavity between his ears and in the organ in his chest that pumps the blood! S.C.Joe, not that your looking for any thanks for your above comments, but thanks anyway! As always you are a class act and your words concerning that subject are appreciated. I feel bad for Allan for bringing it up because he was just being proactive in thinking of ways to improve the team. Sometimes we inadvertantly strike a nerve? No big deal…

78. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 7, 2013 | Reply

I would like to extend my view on M.Vick and the dog fighting issue. I love dogs…I have 2 myself..my boys…Rocky and Apollo..both Rottie’s. When I heard about what Vick did I was disgusted…mad…sad..you name it. Vick should have been punished..and he was..He lost time with his family..He lost money…He lost respect. And while in prison I hope he took that time to reflect on the pain and horrible outcome of those poor dogs. With that…he got a second chance and I believe he is making the most of it. So,,just wanted to clear the air. There’s a few guys out there that I know for sure I wouldn’t want on this team..Ben R. And for those who are fathers of daughters know exactly why. Let’s talk Jets football now…

79. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for the New QB on Feb 7, 2013 | Reply

Nobody asked me but I think the demonization of Vick after all he’s done to rehabilitate himself is much worse than anything he did to a bunch of dogs. I feel for dogs and dog owners but I’m a “Save the Humans Before You Save the Whales” guy and Vick’s made a superhuman effort to atone for what he did. I just don’t want him on the Jets because we don’t need a banged-up read-option QB whose best days are long behind him. Allan, totally agree about Rex as you and everyone here knows from my many posts about how he’s all talk, doesn’t know O, gets excited and acts too impulsively, can’t pick or develop players, plays favorites, lied to the fans about Clowney, Woodhead, Cook, Sanchez, has unnecessarily turned us into the Raiders…need I go on?

80. By Byrdman on Feb 7, 2013 | Reply

Allan – very well stated, love those dog’s names too.
    Yeah, I jump online every morning now, anxiously waiting for some Jets news – In Detroit they cut Titus Young, a talented receiver but sort of a head-case. He admitted to purposely lining up in the wrong spots hoping to get more passes thrown his way, then claimed to be “Better” than Calvin Johnson. I though for a second that the Jets might take a look at the kid but the Rams grabbed him.
    I’ll probably DVR the NFL combine – Ever year players climb up the board and fall based upon the combine numbers, Jets learned the hard way with Gholston
    not to overvalue a guys workout and how he looks in a tank top shirt.
    At least I hope they did !

81. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 8, 2013 | Reply

Pace & Scott gone..more on the way. This GM has a chance to really put HIS name on this team. Cut the aging, overrated players. The only thing is will we have enough cap space to sign key FA’s? In my opinion the O-line should stay in tact. Howard played admirably at RT. Slauson is the mauler type guy every O-line needs. Brick on the other hand has to step it up between him and Mangold these guys are our pro-bowl guys. Our FB and RB spots need upgrades. I like McKnight but he’s injury prone. Powell is a decent backup. To me QB/RB/TE/WR are my 1st priority.

82. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 8, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, I hated the Gholston pick from day one. I watch a lot of college football and the only reason teams went gaga over him is because he got 2 sacks on jake long. But this kid took plays off all the time he was too busy worried about looking like superman instead of playing like superman. This is why I wanted someone from either the Steelers/NE/49er’s staff who can evaluate talent. 64Tom, well at least we know now that Vick is not coming here for sure. Eagles looking to keep him. The backup is the one they are now trying to trade because he doesn’t fit Kelly’s system.

83. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for the Elite QB on Feb 8, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, headcase Young is exactly the kind of player that the Jets DON’T need to take a look at, and with Idzik calling the shots and Rex on a very short leash that’s soon to be discarded, you won’t see them doing so.

84. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for the Elite QB on Feb 8, 2013 | Reply

I wish Vick well, Allan — just not in Florham Park.

85. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 8, 2013 | Reply

64tom…Young is another T.O. all the talent in world…but can’t control emotions. And the sad part about it is he has the potential to be great. I don’t think Idzik wants anymore distractions he’s weeding out the problem guys right now. You know I was looking at highlights on Landry..granted he can ‘Bring it” but he also missed alot of open tackles..not wrapping up. This is a dying art form in the NFL..nobody likes to hit the chest and wrap up anymore…maybe that’s why the NFL has a high rate of concussions. In college you don’t see that many. Landry is a concussion waiting to happen..

86. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for the Elite QB on Feb 9, 2013 | Reply

You should be a consultant to Goodell, Allan, you could teach him how the game should be played, a subject on which he clearly knows little.

87. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 11, 2013 | Reply

64tom, Player safety has become the hot topic now. But I’m old school, and I am sure you are too. You rarely see a guy wrap up and tackle now-a-days. All these guys want is the kill shot..to make ESPN highlight reel. If we get back to basics…even at the pop warner level on up show these kids the right way to tackle and make it second nature to them we would have less head injuries. Goodell is just a puppet used by the owners.

88. By Ronbo19 on Feb 11, 2013 | Reply

Allen, great job on this header. Gholston argueably the worst 1st rd pick ever? Sanchez mabey 2nd.(at least he was involved in 2 AFC championship games)Like you I wanted the guy from S.F, but word is he wanted no part of working with Rex? Your O-line comments are spot on as well. the O.L is Not as bad as people think. I believe Sanchez’s as well as Mac’s indecideveness led to a lot of the sacks. And I think you and T64 are correct in not bringing in T.Young as we already have one head case W.R in Santonio H. And your L.Landry assessment was also on the money. In addition to the missed tackles we need to look at blown coverages and unneccessary penalties.Not to mention the cost to re-sign him. all in all, you aced it bro…

89. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for the New QB and HC on Feb 11, 2013 | Reply

Couldn’t agree more, Allan, I often tell young football fans that if you watch old tape of “deadly” NFL/AFL defensive legends like Butkus, Nitschke, Bell, Lanier, Houston, Buonaconti, Huff, the hits they’re putting on players, while skilled and strong, are hardly like the stuff you see today. One of the reasons that I doubt Goodell’s claim to having watched football very much in his life is because anyone who had would know it’s not nearly so hard to adjust the rules in order to get back to that kind of cleaner hitting and tacking (though pass coverage was a lot rougher back then, of course).

90. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

64tom/Ronbo19 you guys know I basically call it as I see it. I may not have all those special “degrees” those guys have at Florham Park..but there’s one degree the old man taught me… the degree of common sense. And if Rex just showed a little bit of this trait… just maybe he wouldn’t make such a fool of himself. Woody Johnson is not a football guy, he’s a business owner who likes to think he knows football. Woody’s biggest mistake is letting people get in his head (Rex/Mike T.) giving him false dreams. What he should have done was get people around him, quailty..well respected football guys..like Curtis Martin.. who in my opinion should have a front office job. oh..64tom out of that group…Butkus/Lanier were my favorites

91. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo19..thanks for the comp man!…I’m trying to get Randy to get me an interview over at Florham Park…LOL. At least if I can just get in there I can hide marks helmet if he had to go in. 64tom called it..Rex/Mike T were turning this team into the eastcoast verison of the Oakland Raiders… couldn’t have put it any better then that. Eating hotdogs on the sidelines…Gholstons….Tebowmania….butt fumbles…qb circus …WR’s fighting OL..blowouts on national T.V……arghhhh….. it’s like a nightmare you just couldn’t wake up from.

92. By Ronbo19 on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

Allan, its guys like you,BYRDMAN,and of course many others that I come here. As I posted on another header the back & forth with Spicer & Gary C vs. S.C Joe & T64 is getting a little over done,but this is by far the best place I have found to come talk Jets football. As most of my friends are Giant fans I can only take so much of them.Especially after they won another superbowl last year.Lets just all hope the new I-man in town gets us started back on the right track starting with this off season.

93. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

Amad Bradshaw anyone? mmmm…better then Greene…but has a few injury issues…can’t seem to stay healthly..but he did average 4.7 yds per carry and rushed over 1000 yds. More explosive…breakaway speed… let’s debate..

94. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a New Roster on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

Allan, Bobby Bell and Willie Lanier are not only two of my favorite players of all time, they’re actually two heroes of the civil rights movement as is Hank Stram, who started Lanier at MLB when the conventional ignorance was that a black man couldn’t play the position. (How quaint such ideas seem now — and how idiotic they seemed to me then!) As for the Jets as the Raiders, I don’t say that casually. I watch football every Sunday at a place with about 30 screens and people of all ages, races, and genders rooting for all different teams. And it’s shocking to see how pretty much the only people there who don’t despise Rex and the Jets with a passion are the guys in Namath, Martin, and Chrebet jerseys.

95. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

64tom, ..I have to admit..I drank the Rex Kool-aid in the begining..He got me on the “Take 1 swipe at my guy and I will take 2 swipes at yours”…I was hooked…I saw a defense that was flying to the ball, an offensive line that was punishing people..running game that wore teams down. I saw a QB who in my mind was a Trent Dilfer type qb a “game manager”..but then I started to notice leaders were being cut..players with upside were released..and then the talent level declining. I mean come on..Chaz Scheliens???? Jason Hill???? And the thing I noticed even more was Marks mental makeup he wasn’t progressing just making the same mistakes over and over…RED FLAG!!!

96. By Ronbo19 on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

TOM64, See that is why I like you so much. We have a lot of simular ideas & opinions concerning some of the players from the AFL days as well as some of the idiotic ideas many folks had back then. I grew up in Westchester county and played football,basketball & baseball in the public school system.Which basically meant I played on intergrated teams.I was fortunate to do well enough to recieve scholarship offers to some big time programs includeing the S.E.Conf. One of which I accepted by lasted only 1 semester as the culture down there was not a good fit for me.Talk about idiotic ideas, what was I thinking?

97. By Ronbo19 on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

TOM64, I also liked your Willie Lanier comments as well.I recall a discussion here a while back regarding players who would or would not be effective playing in different era’s. The K.C.Chiefs in the Hank Stramm era had a bunch of guys that were physical freaks who I believe could have played anytime,any place.OLB Bobby Bell was about 3-3 230 and could run.W.R. otis Taylor was about 6-3 220 and was almost unstoppable.Willie Lanier about 6-2 240 was a stud at MLM and C.B Emmitt Thomas was over 6-1 200lbs and covered like a glove.There were also guys like O.Linemen Ed Budde,jim Tyrer,@E.J.Holub plus Buck Buchanan at 6-8 300lbs SJohnny Robinson? Amazing talent on those teams.

98. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting to Score Points on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Yes, Ronbo, and when Stram said he’d HC the Jets if we also made him GM, Hess said no. Like with the exaggerated fear of injuries and holding calls that dates from the Namath era, our fear of giving the HC power in the FA lingers on today as well. But yeah, that KC team was way ahead of its time and those guys are great examples of players who’d do fine today, plus with year-round training they’d all be 20-40 lbs heavier. Allan, you describe my reaction to Rex’s 1st yr or so EXACTLY but even late that yr I saw his cluelessness on O. Had Sanchez developed faster he might’ve been able to paper over Rex’s limitations on O but the reverse happened, Mark couldn’t even meet the modest goals Rex had for him. Now both must go.

99. By Ronbo19 on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

T64,Your post above is a perfect example of what S.C.Joe, Allan O,Byrdman and others have been saying for months here; under Rex we have simply “set the bar too low”! Signalling out players who perform avg to mediocre & trying to sell the fans how great they are is delusional at best.This is the kind of thinking the I-Man has to eliminate from Jet culture.Personally, I dont see that happaning until Rex is removed from the equation. This is the HC who in 2 consecutive season completely lost the pulse of his team. Who had no idea the problems caused by Holmes in 2011? And do we really have to re-live this years debacle?Lets just hope the I-man aims higher.

100. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting to Score Points on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

What you don’t read much on this site, Ronbo, but can read every day on just about every other one that has anything to do with the NFL is that Rex is a goner. And to paraphrase Jerry Orbach in Pacino’s wonderful movie (available on DVD) of the play CHINESE COFFEE, “…and he knows it!” Rex wouldn’t be keeping his mouth so tightly shut if he wasn’t walking on such thin ice and the fact is that he’s almost all mouth and no mind. Those of us who’ve battled within or from outside corporate structures know all about “the velvet glove” of rejection and revenge as a dish best served cold. Idzik will pretend to be interested in Rex, Sanchez, and all the other subpar folks in this org at present, then quietly unload them when the time is right.

101. By Ronbo19 on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

TOM64, I can only hope you are right! And this in not wishful thinking on your part.
    I am 100% with you on this subject.

102. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting to Score Points on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

I don’t think Idzik left a franchise on the ascent merely to manage the further descent of this franchise, Ronbo.