• Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 22, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 29, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Using McKnight, Sayers in the Same Factoid

Posted by Randy Lange on February 12, 2013 – 4:21 pm

This is the time of year that tries Jets fans’ souls. It’s dark out, not just outside my window at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center but for the short-term future. The improvements will get made, but they’ll be made slowly, often beneath the radar, with no competitive evidence until the games begin again in August and September.

Until then, we’ll get you the information we can as soon while we go about the other business we do on the business side of the Jets’ operations. That means covering free agency and the draft as we can, introducing you to the new coaches as we will in the coming weeks, providing player stories before and after they return to the complex in April.

All the while we’ll be working on the 2013 Yearbook. This provides the opportunities to dig up some things that were hidden during the ’12 season or to give more credit — and more hope for the future — than might have been given out during the 6-10 campaign past.

One of those early amazing notes has to do with Joe McKnight’s kickoff returning. This was a hot topic after the 2011 season’s 31.6-yard average, the best by a qualifying returner in the last quarter of a century. McKnight didn’t have quite as explosive a ’12, but his 27.5 average was still third in the league.

“Devin Hester’s the best now. Hopefully I can have my name next to his or around his somewhere. That’d be great,” McKnight told me earnestly back in November in the middle of that second season as the Jets’ prime kick returner. “I used to look up to him. He wore No. 4 and I wore No. 4 [in high school]. I always wanted to go to the University of Miami. I was a big Clinton Portis fan and a big Devin Hester fan.”

McKnight may want to readjust his sites because while Hester’s excellent, Gale Sayers is historic. Joe accomplished something that hadn’t been done in the NFL since “the Kansas Comet” hit the scene in 1965-66.

McKnight’s 29.4-yard kickoff-return average in ’11-12 combined is the best average in back-to-back seasons in the NFL (minimum of 40 total returns) since Sayers’ 31.3 mark in those first two years of his too-short Pro Football Hall of Fame career. Here are the top six returners’ numbers in this category in the last 50 seasons:

Player, Team Seasons Rets Yds Avg TDs
Gale Sayers, CHI 1965-66 44 1378 31.3 3
Abe Woodson, SF 1963-64 61 1815 29.8 3
Joe McKnight, NYJ 2011-12 73 2145 29.4 2
Travis Williams, GB 1967-68 46 1338 29.1 4
Jerry Azumah, CHI 2002-03 41 1191 29.05 2
Brad Smith, NYJ 2009-10 60 1742 29.03 3

One question might well arise in regard to this factoid: Was Joe helped by the new rule that placed kickoffs on the kicking team’s 35 again with the 2011 season? In fact, that could be argued. The average return in the NFL in ’11 was 23.8, the average in ’12 was 23.6. Those are two of the best three season averages for the league since 1960. A high tide lifts all boats and surely McKnight’s average benefited.

Yet on the other hand, where are all the other 29-yard returners in 2011-12? McKnight’s the only one, so while his 29.4 isn’t as impressive compared to the league as even Brad Smith’s 29.03 for the Jets in 2009-10, it still stands on its own merits as one of the best two-season kickoff-return efforts since the birth of the AFL.

Now if Joe can avoid injury and avoid putting the ball on the turf better — and the NFL doesn’t legislate kickoffs out of existence — he’ll start to build his rep as one of pro football’s best return men over a three-year period as the 2013 season unfolds.

We Hardly Knew Ye

A few ex-Jets sightings on the transaction wire: DL Marcus Dixon and WR Mardy Gilyard both signed with Kansas City on Monday. In case anyone missed it, LB Aaron Maybin signed with Cincinnati on Jan. 25.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Randy Lange, Uncategorized | 164 Comments »

164 Responses to “Using McKnight, Sayers in the Same Factoid”

1. By Ronbo19 on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

Wow! now I knowwere bored when anyone of us even mentions Gayle Sayers(aggueably the greates runningback in NFL history) in the same sentence as Joe Mcknight? I know Randy is probably just looking for a way to get Gary C,Spicer, & S.C.Joe& T-64 off the old topic. So thank you Randy. Obviously Randy is not really compareing the two guys as R.B’s as there is no comparison. Like our Broadway Joe, Sayers career was way to short. The “gayle wind from Kansas’ as he was often referred to was amazing to watch as he was blazeing fast,could change direction without loosing much if any speed and was a nightmare for defences. I realize there were others who were statistically superior, but no one I saw was better than Gayle Sayers.

2. By scjoe on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

I like McKnight as a K Returner, but I would like him even more catching passes out of the back field in the WCO. Problem is two fold however, 1- he does not stay on the field long enough to contribute significantly. (injury prone) 2- He seems to have a major problem protecting the ball. If those things continue it is time to move on.

3. By IRA on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

McKnight is an excellent KO return guy and his open field threat is there on every play. It just seems he can’t take that next step and use that talent as a RB. This is a make or break year for McKnight and unless he can contribute as a RB too I am not sure he will make this team.
    I thought they gave up too early on Gilyard.
    Glad they came out and told Bradshaw they were not interested. I could not see it have to draft a RB this year and Powell and hopefully McKnight make up a good young RB group.
    GO JETS!!!!

4. By IRA on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

Randy,
    I think J Brown is the best football player to ever play the game to date but Sayers was the best RB with the most talent I have ever watched until he got hurt. What a shame who knows what his numbers might have been if he had never hurt his knee.

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a New Roster on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

Nice to see our former non-entities like Maybin, Gilyard, and Dixon moving on instead of sticking around to hear Rex or Mr T — oh yeah, we won’t be hearing from the latter anymore — talk about them like they’re #1 picks. I still get Jet flashbacks over Rex’s claim, when somebody decided to unload the promising Cook, that Tracy Wilson was “the hardest-working guy on this team.” Can’t wait till I don’t have to listen to Rex anymore and maybe MM can hasten that day. If he can use McKnight at RB the way he should be used, almost exclusively on outside runs and screens, it should become utterly apparent even to the die-hard Rex loyalists that the man has no idea how to use talented players on O.

6. By SCfromNY on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

I realize McKnight was often injured but I believe his potential as a RB who has edge speed and an ability to catch passes out of the backfield can be huge. Sometimes a player can be injured plagued, Landry, and then come back a pro bowl player. Of course the Jet luck would be a pro bowl year and then lose to free agency. I still think letting Maybin go was a mistake.

I have no issue if the Jets go defense with the first round pick because they really need a pass rusher. After that though they need to address offensive skill players and depth.

7. By Karan on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

McKnight should be a really good fit in Mornhinweg’s system. He’s a versatile fast running back. He still has a long way to go but thats mainly because the Jets haven’t used him properly. The guy has speed and thats what this team needs. Also, he’s the best receiver out of the backfield we currently have at the time. Couple of screen passes will do the QB good and the rest of the offense good. I’m saying he should start, of course there needs to competition just as in the QB position, but McKnight definetly deserves a chance. Just give him enough plays Jets.

8. By Karan on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

My mistake, typos again, meant to say “I’m NOT saying he should start, of course…….”.

9. By GaryC on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo19,you are right,new thought,does Mingo remind you a little of Aaron Maybin,I guy who will not be a three down player,used for pass rush responsibilities,weak in the upper body,is this a guy you want for the ninth pick in the draft,jets better get this pick right.

10. By GaryC on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

ronbo19,and Sayers played for Lousy Bear teams.

11. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

McKnight is one of those guys that make you wonder about his true potential. Here’s a kid who can take it the house…but I also see a pollard or ex-Landry type safety laying a hit on him and he’s done for a games. He’s injury prone. Some guys are just built that way. Look at Curtis Martin he took shot after shot..and kept going. He had a high tolerance for pain. Remember that season he had not 1 but 2!! high ankle sprains! and still rushed for 1000yds. Now there’s a tough guy..McKnight is a great KR but he’s not an everydown back. Great for screens and catching the ball out of the backfield though. 64tom is right..Rex doesn’t know how to utilize the talent he does have.

12. By Ronbo19 on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, Yeah, Sayers did play for some awful teams. The thing is, he made his teammates better as defences had to worry about him takeing it to the house on every play. I agree with Ira that Jim Brown was the greatest football player of all time.He was about 6-2 235 and fast.I believe he was also an “All-American Lacross player as well. Sayers was simply electric. Other than Barry Sanders I have never seen a guy who could stop on a dime and yet be full speed in one step.That reminds me, there is a guy in this years draft Tavon Austin who played W.R &a little bit of R.B as well at W.Va..Keep an eye on this kid as he has alot of that same type of quickness.He is a potential game breaker.Would have to consider him in Rd.2 if he’s there?

13. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

To get the running game going they should look at first a decent RB…someone who not only can hit the holes but cut it back to the outside and let his speed do the rest. Then get a “thumper” a FB whose willing to stick his nose and take on LB’s. (see Leach from ravens) Then off course get a TE about 250-265lbs who can block like an O-lineman. The O-line is ok..should be better now that Howard has a full year under his belt playing with this unit. It’s Brick..he’s the one who has to up his level this year get back to being the all-pro LT. Now there’s one thing I like about Braylon he can block downfield and S.Hill is known for his blocking skills also. We need talent on the Offensive side of the ball.

14. By Tom Spicer on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I cant answer for Gary C, SCJoe & Tom 64 but I am going to do everything I can to drop all the Sanchez, Elite QB & Jet skill position player talk. We need to talk about something other than these 3 things!

15. By kleckofan on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

To be honest, picking a “pass rushing OLB” scares the beJesus out of me; it just seems to be a difficult position to evaluate. Its easy to point out JPP, Orakpo etc once they’re established, but how many supposed beasts at this position turn out to be busts? I agree, the top OLB’s in this draft look small for the NFL, scares me. I guess that’s why the I-man is getting the big bucks.
    I don’t know why, but in all my yrs watching Gang Green, the art of the screen pass has just never come together, regardless of QB, RB or system. Can’t explain it.

16. By Chicago Bob on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Sayers was something special. I have said it for years, for a while the Bears had the best offensive player (Sayers) and defensive player (Butkus) in the league and after that, had basically nothing around them. Odds are Greene is gone so hopefully McKnight sees what could be available to him and comes into camp in the best shape of his life. I agree on the need for a pass rush and while Mingo may turn out to be a solid pro, he still scares me as too many times I saw him engulfed by opposing OT’s whenever LSU played the quality teams. Hopefully Idzik utilizes part of Bart Scott’s famous rant but tweaks it to “Can’t Reach”!

17. By Ronbo19 on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Gary C, Truthfully, its not Mingo’s lack of strength that concerns me so much. Its more the fact that rumors seem to persist that he takes plays off? Usually where theres smoke theres fire.Another thing I posted earlier is he appears to be a one trick poney.The fact is todays O.T’s are simply to good to simply run around. Look what happaned with A.Maybin in 2011. He got 6 sacks quickly but then got shut out the last 4 or 5 games as teams adjusted.Then last year he didn’t even make the team as he couldn’t adjust. Of course you are also right about the strength issue. If he is unable to rectify that problem it will be another reason to stay away from drafting him. Again, he would not be my choice.

18. By Mike M on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Keep Tebow and let him run the WCO/Pistol with McKnight!!!

19. By scjoe on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

It will be interesting to get GaryCs take on this, but Ira mentioned that Jim Brown was the “greatest football player” that ever played the game. I remember watching Brown play and it would be hard to debate that. Then Ira mentioned that Gale Sayers may be the “greatest RB” ever to play the game. This is where I differ, I believe Barry Sanders fits that profile. Given the teams all 3 played for, to me there is no doubt. Over 15,000 yards in just 9 years on THAT Lions team pretty much speaks for itself.

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting to Score Points on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Couldn’t agree with you more about McKnight, Karan, and with you about those lousy Bear teams, GaryC.

21. By Tom Spicer on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Possible Jet 1st round draft picks if they dont trade back & do not trade either Revis or Cromartie. First I would like to start by saying there are no WR, RB TE or Saftey projected to go that high. So prior to the combine & the pro days that narrows it down to in no particular order. 1 OT’S Luke Joeckal Texas A & M or 2 Eric Fisher Central Michigan, 3 Guard Chane Warmack Bama, 4 QB Geno Smith West Virginia or 5 Mike Glennon NC State, 6 NT Star Lotulelei Utah, or OLB’S 7 Jarvis Jones Georgia, 8 Damontre Moore Texas A & M, 9 Bjoern Werner FSU, 10 Ezekiel Ansah BYU, 11 Barkevious Mingo LSU or 12 Dion Jordan Oregon. We have the 9th pick just by the process of elimination our pick we be 1 of these 12 guys unless something crazy happens.

22. By kleckofan on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Randy- I hope there aren’t too many moves made “below the RADAR” we’re expecting that inside info!
    Just kiddin’ didn’t know if you caught your own pun.

23. By Tom Spicer on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

I saw this on Rotoworld “West Virginia QB Geno Smith’s former position coach, Jake Spavital, called the Mountaineer a “film junkie.” “I got him an iPad (to watch tape) so he’d go to class,” said Spavital. “I think it’s a no-brainer to take the first quarterback overall. I’ve been around some pretty good ones and I’ve never seen a guy that’s this complete as a quarterback. And he’s hungry.” Spavital has coached Brandon Weeden, Case Keenum, and is currently on the Texas A&M staff. “He studies it,” Spavital said. “With Brandon Weeden, I couldn’t say that about him.”. When you read stuff like this about a guy it makes you really like him.

24. By GaryC on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,when it comes to the great backs,one problem with Sanders was he had many carries for loses looking for the big run,also he had the advantage of playing on Astroturf which Sayers and Brown did not have.the fields were in a heckuva lot worse shape when Sayers and Brown played and for what there careers were I would rate them higher.

25. By Ronbo19 on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, Its not so much I cared about the arguements, its really that I think all you guys bring so much to the table here I felt it kind of got old? It was time for a new header & Randy came through. I really like your above post about the possible picks at #9. Well thought out and explained. KLECKO FAN- relax bro, I got you covered. Actually I totally get your concerns about the OLB’s as they all have questions.J.Jones,spinal stenosis?,Mingo,strength,lazy?D.Jordan,very tall@6-7 only 240lbs?B.Werner,L.B new pos.?.E.Ansah, lack of experience,D.Moore-well he wont be there @#9So yes there are questions, but I think all of these guys except mabey Mingo & Ansah are worthy of the #9 pick.

26. By GaryC on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,one of my first posts was when I said the jets had to come out of the draft with McKnight or Javid Best a few years back that JetFanTom would remember,I said the line that the Jets would save the Best for First as in there number one,so back then it was concentration on the Pac 10,not SEC.

27. By GaryC on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,I like your list but I believe Patterson the wideout from Tennessee can be a top 10 pick,Size and Speed and a Tennessee wide receiver,that is hard to pass up,Does anybody say Robert Meacham.

28. By Ronbo19 on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, I’m reluctant to get into this with you as you are relentless but here goes; As great as Barry Sanders was Gayle was better.Keep in mind, as you mention with Joe Willie, his only failing was health. Sayers played in a 14 game schedule and was limited to only about 4&1/2 seasons.You cant compare them statistically as Sanders played 10 seasons, and had over 3060 rush attempts. Sayers only had 991 r/attempts.The interesting thing is they both avg. 5.0 yds per carry over their careers.From my perspective they both had the speed & quick change of direction ability, but Sayers didn’t loose as many yds as Barry by going backwards to try for the miracle play.Thats no knock on Sanders as i’d bet he pulled it off more than any back ever.

29. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting to Score Points on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

We don’t have to keep talking about our QB problems, Spicer, but I notice that 60% of the folks voting on the site are most interested in David Lee and the coaching at that position. And I see that even you couldn’t resist this post about Geno Smith’s potential which, if we pick him, I sure hope turns out to be for real…

30. By scjoe on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

kleckofan, as usual, spot on! First about picking a pass rusher high, that said, I think Jarvis Jones would be a pretty safe pick, problem is he don’t really fit Rex’s scheme which calls for OLBs in the 250 to 260 range, Jones is probably more suited for an OLB in a 4-3, now, if he were available at 9 maybe moving more toward a 4-3 wouldn’t be such a bad idea. Your 2nd point about the lack of the screen pass as an offensive weapon for the Jets over the years is also spot on.
    I can’t put my finger on why that is, given the many different coaching staffs and schemes over the years, but I definitely noticed that as well as you have. The same for the draw to a lesser extent.

31. By IRA on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    Brown was a man playing against boys. Sometines it took 3 or 4 guys to take Brown down and if he got a head of speed going forget it. Classic battles between him and Sam Huff.
    Scjoe,
    Agree Sanders was amazing but Sayers was something very special.
    Something about Brown when he joined the Browns in 1957 there had been 8 1000 yd seasons in NFL history and no one player had more than 2 such seasons. Brown had 7 1000 yd seasons in 9 yrs, 104 yd per game career avg which is still the record and scored 126 TD’s in 118 career games.

32. By Mike Jet Vet on Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Karan, J-McKnight is versatile Jets haven’t used him properly, sorry can you explain to me how we didn’t use him properly,only part I might agree with his speed, he was tried on special teams he was constantly bruised and battered after a hit couldn’t go ,at RB after 3 or more plays he was once again bruised and battered couldn’t go, lets forget his fumbling or puking hindering his production, we tried some receiver out of the back field even Corner or Safety is that correct , how would you have used him at tackle, O-line, TE, maybe QB .. He can’t cut it in the NFL it’s not in him , some people no matter how talented just can’t make the cut. it’s nothing to be a shame of in my eyes it’s just how live works..

33. By walt on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

I think for the most part the criticism of bart scott is unjustified, He had a serious injury that limited his mobility considerbly.I can understand why the sports reporters do not like him.Quess what a lot of the jet fans do not like the sports reporters.Obviously we can not keep him at the same price but if he is willing to come back at a reduced price he should be resigned if he is healthy.A lot of fans have been critical of our linebackers but I have to believe they must have been doing something right to have the second ranked pass defence.As far as I am concerned defence at the NFL level is as much mental as physical.It is a lot more than just pass rush and speed.

34. By scjoe on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, I know you don’t put a whole lot of trust in what I say, but I will say it anyway. None of the QBs coming out are worthy of that #9 pick. If they do “reach” for one at that spot they will regret it. The # 9 pick almost has to be an OLB/DE.( meaning a college DE that can transition to OLB) There is some depth at the QB spot to wait until “at least” the 2nd round, possibly the 3rd. I still say,1- OLB, 2- RB/OL/QB. 3- QB/OL/RB. 4- OL/RB/QB meaning best available in round 2, 3 and 4. Bottom line? They have to come out of this draft with an OLB, a QB, a RB, and an O lineman for it to be successful.

35. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting to Score Points on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Not only that, GaryC, but you also warned about Best’s durability problems, which seem to have brought his career to a sorry, short end. All this talk of drafting D players high is making me a little sick. We have nothing resembling a pro NFL QB, much less an “elite” one,” we have proven that we’re utterly incapable of scoring pts, we’ve gone along with loads of Rex’s questionable D picks like Wilson, Ellis, and maybe Coples, and now we’re fretting about more D linemen? Not only is this ridiculous but I don’t think Idzik’s gonna let it happen as, like I keep telling some of you and I keep reading on other sites, Rex is halfway out the door. I wouldn’t be surprised if we pick almost all O as next yr is a wash anyway.

36. By SQUIRREL on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Wow. Walt what have you been watching. The defense was second in pass despite the linebackers who grossly underperfomed. there are 2 reasons why the pass defense was ranked what it was 1. secondary stepped up big team especially safeties (2) the linebackers were so bad at stopping the run teams stopped throwing it against us. right now this team is very weak at linebacker and we probably need to convert to a 4-3 almost full time based upon the depth and skill we have on the D-line. Ellis, Coples, Wilkerson and Devito on the D-line would be nice, Cut Pouha, Pace Scott. If Pouha wants to come back at reduciton then keep him.

37. By Ronbo19 on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, your posts to MJF & Spicer were both 100% spot on! Your draft stratagy is exactly how I see it.Mo Wilk & Coples both showed thay have the physical talent to be effective D.E’s. If they had a guy who could put heat on the Q.B from the Edge they would be even better as they would not be double teamed as much.
    And your Jarvis Jones post points out his lack of ideal wt. for the posisition. No doubt that along with his spinal stenosis issue is a concern. My feeling is they should do there homework and grab him if he is available.I agree they will play more 4-3 next season & there are other OLB’s his size who have played well in the 3-4 as well.he is stronger than his size would suggest.

38. By Ronbo19 on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

TO “The Gang here on Randy’s Radar-”
    DO NOT BELIEVE all the recent talk about NO Q.B’s going in the first Rd. NOTE, I am NOT saying any do or dont deserve to as I still think its too early to make that call.Personally as none of us here has access to the tapes & scouting reports I prefer to wait till after the combine & pro days to give my opinion. But I will guarantee you there will be at least 2 or 3 Q.B’s that go in Rd.1!My hope is that one ot two of the teams picking ahead of us take Q.B’s as that will make more choices for us at OLB or O.L. Q.B is the one posisition teams will reach for so dont be surprised if as many as 4 or 5 go in Rd.1. All it will take is for a team to take one in the top 5 to start a panic.

39. By Tom Spicer on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, It is not that I do not put any trust in what you say. To me cause I can not speak for anyone else. I feel like you give way to much credit & way to much blame to the QB that is all. I know you know what you are talking about. But to me & again this is just what I think. Sanchez is not as bad as he was this year to me he had no one around him this year which to me made him look worse than he is. Also if Brady had Kerley, Schilenes & Cumberland instead of Welker, Llyod & Gronkowski to me he would not look anything like himself. To me people would be saying after a year with the above 3 as his go to guys. “Brady is washed up he is getting old.” Again this is just how I feel.

40. By scjoe on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Ron/GaryC,/Ira. You all make great points re: Sanders/Sayers/Brown, and I promise not to drag this out, but when you compare RBs you compare the whole body of work, that includes injury and the ability to stay on the field. Sanders stayed on the field! Also, playing on turf could be detrimental as opposed to playing on grass. Further, the fact he lost yardage on occasion with the intentions of breaking a play and still finishing with a 5.0 avg in 9 years speaks volumes. But at the end of the day I believe it all comes down to individual preference since they were all great backs.

41. By Tom Spicer on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Thinking about my above post with the 12 Jet potential draft picks I am going to take the 2 QBS out for some reason I dont see the Jets taking a QB with the 9th pick. I am also going to take out the 2 OT’S cause I think the Jets see Austin Howard as a very cheap & decent starter. I think they want to see how he does in his 2nd year so they will not go the OT route. So that leaves it down to these 8 guys for our 1st round pick. 1 Guard Chane Warmack Bama, 2 NT Star Lotulelei Utah, or OLB’S 3 Jarvis Jones Georgia, 4 Damontre Moore Texas A & M, 5 Bjoern Werner FSU, 6 Ezekiel Ansah BYU, 7 Barkevious Mingo LSU or 8 Dion Jordan Oregon. It all depeneds on who is still there at 9 & who they like best out of what is left.

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting to Score Points on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, try looking at it this way and you’ll be less embarrassed when we finally get a starting QB worthy of competing in the NFL: Sanchez has shown the same major flaws and minor strengths throughout his time with us, in his good games and his bad. He requires perfection around him to be even moderately effective. He’s incredibly unsure at the line, clueless in the face of changes on D, reckless with the ball both throwing and carrying. In his best games, he’s still capable of a ridiculous throw right into traffic at the worst possible time. And he has yet to play a single game in which he was the dominant force in a victory, as lucking out with last-minute passes vs lousy teams in 2010 is the closest he’s come to that. In short, WEAK!

43. By GaryC on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo19,do not be shocked if a quarterback is taken in first round,who would of thought Christian Ponder would be taken where he was,people will reach for a quarterback hoping to strike gold as opposed to other positions,because of the importance of the position.

44. By GaryC on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

If Gale Sayers played on Astroturf,he would be the Road Runner,WHOOSH.

45. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting to Score Points on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Three cheers for Cimini for keeping ‘em honest: “Explaining the unnecessary contract extension for Sanchez, whose 2013 salary is sitting like a lead weight on the Jets’ cap, Tannenbaum said, “I don’t think I’d sign a quarterback to an extension knowing that he’d have 26 turnovers. That may be one of the reasons I’m sitting here with you guys.” Credit Tannenbaum for demonstrating a self-deprecating sense of humor, but here’s the thing: Sanchez also had 26 turnovers in 2011, yet he landed a new deal that includes an $8.25 million guarantee for 2013.” Yes, and a whole lot of us on this site said it was absurd at the time, but that’s how out of it this org is when it comes to the QB position.

46. By Karan on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet – I will be glad to explain it to you, its really simple, just look at the carries he received and the percentage of downs he played. All time lows compared to the other running backs. Remember the one time he did have a carry and he just blasted off what I believe was a 67-yard run. After that, he barely got carries. Now, I’m not saying he should start, but the guy most definetly deserves a chance. He’s come a long way from his rookie season when he was vomiting in training camp. I will agree with you on that he is injury prone. I wish he wasn’t, but some guys are like that. If healthy, he should be a good fit in this new OC’s system. But yes, definietly, bring in competition. Jets should still draft a RB or even get one……

47. By Chicago Bob on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

I know people do not want to hear this however if Warmack is there at #9 he must get serious consideration. When you look at our guard situation, he would fill a tremendous need. Slauson was asked to take a pay cut last year – if you were him, would you resign with the Jets? I wouldn’t. Moore will be 33 years old next season – makes no sense to offer him a big contract. Schlauderlaff and Ducasse could barely get on the field last year – and you want one of these two to start? The Jets QB’s would need a body bag next season. All this talk about not taking a guard that high is nonsense – ask the Pats and Seahawks if they regretted taking John Hannah and Steve Hutchinson that high – and this kid is supposedly in their class.

48. By Karan on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

…….via free agency. One guy who should he affordable that the Jets should go after is Chris Ivory. I also wouldn’t at all mind having Reggie Bush, he might be a bit pricy and lastly, I know many people on this site and I’m not sure if you are either are not fond of Rashard Mendenhall, but personally, I wouldn’t mind having him on this roster at all.

49. By kleckofan on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

To be honest, you guys are making my upcoming 50th seem insignificant…all this talk about Brown and Sayers, I’m to young to have seen em! Now Leroy Kelly is another matter. It’s great listening to you guys, I’m jealous, like I am of anyone who got to go to Ebbets Field.
    I saw Mingo on the NFL Network last night w Willie McGinist (who even tho a Patriot does a great job). Mingo put on 15 lbs, was well spoken and likable. But…when McGinest asked him to show his “go to” pass rush move it was the chop and speed around the corner move RonBo mentioned above, just like Maybin. As I said the position scares me, but I so want that terrifying pass rusher that’s a game changer.

50. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

The game is won in the trenches…the NYJ must get future replacements for the Offensive line.

51. By kleckofan on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

JFT64- I have no problem going all O in the draft, the cupboards are empty, start shopping. But, most analysts say this draft is strongest in DL/DE/OLB types. We are probably in “best available” mode w many holes to fill, so it may well be that a defensive guy is #9 just based on quantity.

52. By Ronbo19 on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

CHICAGO BOB,Great post(as usual)! Heres the thing, it will depend who’s there at #9? If its between Mingo, Ansah or Warmack,I’m with you,take Warmack.On the other hand, if Demontre Moore,J.Jones,B.Warner or Deon Jordan are also there I think I would go that way.The thing is I believe those guys would make more of an immediate impact as they would go a long way towards fixing the pass rush problem.The O-line was simply not that bad and I’m 90% sure they will bring either Slauson or more back.So we really only need 1 guard as Ducasse will again be the back-up.There are a bunch of F/A’s as well as draftable guards that will be available.

53. By Ronbo19 on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, thanks, I dont think any of us are gonna change each other’s minds on the Sayers vs Sanders thing and I noticed none of us really brought Jim Brown into the discussion as Brown simply trancended the subject as arguably the greatest player ever. Of course none of the younger guys will agree with that as few of them know much about him. KARAN, I think the reason so many of us bust your chops is simply because you simply see only the good in every player.For some reason it doesn’t register with you that a Q.B. who is a turnover machine, or R.B’s who are too slow to get to the line of scrimmage, or cant stay on the field due to injuries are not players you can win with.And remember what Herm says, HELLO,YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

54. By scjoe on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, fair enough. I know that opinion factors in to most conversations and debates here on this site, that is why there is so much back and forth. I have always been of the opinion that QBs are the focal point of the offense, when the offense is doing well the QB gets most of the credit, and most times deservingly so, that is why we see so many QBs getting the MVP in the big games. By the same token if the offense is not getting the job done the QB takes the full brunt of the criticism, and most times deservingly so. With the Jets lack of production on offense for the past few years I think my theory has some merit. Sure, there are other problems as well, but remember where the focal point begins and ends.

55. By Ronbo19 on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

WALT, I dont know what your smokeing but I have a dental appt this afternoon that I’m not looking forward to and I could use some of what ever it is? Come on dude, you cant come on here with nonsence like that? Are you kidding? Anybody who knows anything about the jets knows that the entire linebacking crew should be sued for theft of services based on last years performances. This is 3 out of 4 guys who are well over 30 and played like they were over 40 years old last year,& the 4th member david Harris who is only 28 had his worst year ever as well.At least 3 of these guys needs to be gone before next season and the 4th needs a wake up call that he needs to step it up!

56. By scjoe on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Ron, thanks for the kudos bud. Let me return one now. Your post about this years QBs coming out is dead on accurate! There are NONE worthy of a 1st round grade, but because of the need and because of the importance of that position there will definitely be a few teams reaching. Lets just hope the NY Jets are not one of them. When I look at this years draft class I see a ton of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round prospects, some will wind up as starters this season, some will bust. It will come down to good scouting, some extra homework, and a lot of old fashion luck to see which teams come out a winner and which comes out a loser. For now, all we can do is throw names around, it will take at least one season to know which names were right and which were not.

57. By Byrdman on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Just Say NO – to free agents ! I’m hearing some folks here want to load up on the FA Gravy Train :D My take has always been simple – If the guy is so Damn Good,.. WHY is he a Free Agent?
    For the most part you don’t see SB winning teams building the roster with castaways, FA Diva’s, Average players fresh off a SB victory looking to sign the mother-load contract, players with injury issues, turnover problems etc.
    Take the Jets own list of FA’s for example – anybody in that group who you think to yourself “Yeah the Raiders or Bears or (fill in the blank) are a Brandon Moore or Dustin Keller away from winning the next SB?
    I for one am hoping the I-man recognizes this and fully intends to build the team through wise draft picks

58. By Stevesc on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Interesting debate over great running backs… What I’m wondering is why Walter “sweetness” Payton hasn’t been mentioned. Undoubtedly he ranks as one of the greatest rb’s to play the game.

59. By scjoe on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Chicago Bob, no doubt! Warmack is a great player. I agree 100%, but with the #9 overall pick will a guard be the player that can make the most immediate impact for this team? For me, the one position that can, is that pass rushing OLB. Of course there are no guarantees, but assuming they hit a home run and come up with a guy who gives them double digit sacks in 2013 THAT will go a long way in turning this team around. Now, lets say they address OLB RB and QB in free agency, maybe by chance they pick up an Anthony Spencer, or a Cliff Avril, maybe even a Manny Lawson, then address QB with maybe a Mat Moore, or Alex Smith, then I think Warmack would be a nice pick. Just one problem…Salary Cap!

60. By Karan on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Do you guys think Landry is worth $6 million?

61. By Karan on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

If you can’t retain Landry, go for Goldson. Only problem, he also might be hard to afford.

62. By Karan on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Personally, I think the guy is one heck of a safety but he’s not worth $6 million a year. Man, why do defensive backs ask get such big heads after playing so well. Don’t get me wrong, guys like Revis and Landry are outstanding players so they have every right to be want to paid fairly, but they just dig deep into the pockets. I would love to have both back, but its just not going to happen. At least one should return. Revis is great, but the guy will never stop be satisfied. So, I’d rather have Revis be traded rather than Cro or Landry not be back. A trade with the Seahawks for Kam Chancellor and a draft pick for Revis would be nice but it just make the Seahawks super dangerous back there. Sherman and Revis on the same roster would be crazy

63. By Karan on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

I would like to trade Revis for Sherman but that would never happen. A younger outstanding cornerback for the elite cornerback who just came of surgery wouldn’t attract a Seahawk trade. Man, if we had as much cap space as the Bengals have at the time, just imagine the possiblities. Once again, thanks a lot Tannenbum for putting the Jets in this situation.

64. By Jason on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

I think Ivory would be a great fit. He’s relatively fresh, he’s hungry, and he’s talented. I also think Chance would be a great fit for this team, he would step in and improve that O-line from day one, he would make Sanchez more comfortable in the pocket and might change the whole complexion of our offense. I think that chance is the pick at #9. If not then its definitely Jarvis Jones as he will be an impact player regardless of his “medical conditions”. Also, I just hope they can resign Landry at around 5mil/year. Who didn’t love watching him lay the wood?

65. By Tom Spicer on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Karan, I would take Reggie Bush but I think he would be to rich for our blood. I like the Mendenhall idea as well dont let last year fool you he was coming off of a knee injury & had a in season heel injury. Prior to last year he was very good & I think last year will keep the money he is seeking down we might be able to steal him.

66. By IRA on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

I do not want nor do I think the Jets want any retread veteran RB’s that have been injury prone. They will draft one need a young RB with fresh legs unles they decide to resign Greene on the cheap I for one would look into signing Woodhead he will be a free agent and can help the Jets in many ways plus he would fit Mornhinweg’s system.

67. By Mike Jet Vet on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

Spicer. your dedication to detail regarding this mock draft is impressive, I’m sure time consuming, sure you didn’t leave any one out. I’d be more impressed if you narrowed it down to like one or two players… Unless your talking about all our picks combined not just @9 1st round.. So again I will say on the off chance we go QB this kid from Florida Manuel is worth a look

68. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting to Score Points on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

Thanks, BUF, for re-signing Jackson and taking THAT possible disaster scenario off the table. And thanks, Cavanaugh, for finally saying what Rex couldn’t for 4 yrs: The only teams that run the Wildcat are teams that have no QB worth starting which is why, as Cavanaugh pointed out, you don’t see NE, GB, NO, etc. running it. Under Rex, the Jets are like a banana republic in which the only sanity comes from outside its borders. Hopefully Rex himself will be banished to outside those borders soon enough and sanity will come from the inside.

69. By Tom Spicer on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

Tom 64. What the hell are you talking about? What I was saying to SCJoe has nothing to do with Sanchez I was talking to him about how I think he views the value of QB’S. I am not embarrassed & I would be embarrassed if I were you for jumping down someones throat & commenting on something that has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

70. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

So..Eagles are looking to trade Foles..Looks like KC is going to make a run for him. Bills re-sign Jackson and Fitzpatrick also re-signing w/Bills. Alex Smith targeted by Cards..Don’t really see that happening being that they are in the same divison. That pretty much leaves us with Matt Moore, Brady Quinn, and Cassel. Charles Woodson going to be released by GB…I can see NE swooping in for him they need a safety. Ed Reed is going to stay in baltimore. Quinn is the guy who I can’t put my finger on. This kid has the size and arm strength wasn’t bad in ND. Cassel..wow..what happened to him? Can Either one of those QB’s turn it around in MM system?

71. By scjoe on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

kleckofan, just have to comment on your post above about the old “Ebbets Field” out in Flatbush. Although I lived a short distance from the old Polo Grounds way up town, and I was, have been, still am, and always will be a die hard Giant fan, my dad was a die hard Dodger fan. I remember him taking me to Ebbets Field. The thing I remember most about it was how much smaller it was then the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium. And you are right, they were times to remember, and I always will. Imagine, I got to see Willie Mays (the greatest baseball player ever!) roam center field up close and personal.

72. By scjoe on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

Stevesc, you are right. Walter Payton should be in the discussion when talking about great running backs, but like I said, it all comes down to personal preference, mine just happens to be Barry Sanders.

73. By GaryC on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

If the jets find room to draft Arthur Brown,and he becomes a jet,I guess we will have a redo of ” THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN”,hope he doesn’t burn.

74. By scjoe on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

Allen O’ Dane, my thoughts on those QBs you mentioned above. Cassel was nothing more then a product of the NE system, don’t want him. Quinn may be a short term answer, maybe not, he has to come dirt cheap to even consider. Moore on the other hand could work well in the WCO, my only fear with him is there just may be a bidding war for him. He, along with a high mid round pick would be ideal to compete with MS and McElroy, with the top 3 making the final roster.

75. By scjoe on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

64, ditto that! Thank you Buffalo for resigning both Jackson AND Fitzpatrick. What Cavanaugh says, about the only teams who think about using the “wildcat” are those who are lacking at the traditional QB spot is also dead on accurate.

76. By IRA on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

I think it’s but a lock Keller signs with the Bears and he would be the perfect fit and with Cutler will finally hit or go over that 70 catch season. Hate to lose him but its seems the Jets are in no position to pay him close to 6 mill per year and with Landry his is probably worth about 5 maybe but I think with a lot of teams way under the cap he will get what he is looking for. Any team is possible but with the Bills cutting Wilson I think they are the front runners.

77. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting to Score Points on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

It’s always fun to get a rise outta ya, Spicer, but I didn’t think that merely sarcastically teasing you about a new QB — you ARE, after all, the guy who kept spouting nonsensical stats for “Mark” while the guy was looking like a high school QB on the field — would cause you to erupt! You sound like Obama without the teleprompter or Newt when somebody comments on his mother! So, okay, sarcasm aside, I think your reports on the draft, the likely QB picks, etc. are very informative, I certainly couldn’t be as up on this stuff without your updates. That said, on this site some of us always have to fight a rear-guard action against Karan and a few others who are always trying to sneak a revisionist favorable take on Sanchez into the record…

78. By Row on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

Two words. Giovani Bernard. Remember this name guys. The Jets need to get this guy in April! Titus Young couldn’t hurt. Progress over personal relationships. If the Jets can win with them, I wanna see them in green. Go Jets

79. By Ronbo19 on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, sorry dude, but IRA is dead right about not signing re tread R.B’s! Byrdman posted the other day they are like tires on race cars that wear out. Thats why teams dont like drafting them in the 1st rd. They have short shelf-lifes ( i believe the current avg. career expectency is 4 years) so to bring in a Mendenhaul or Bradshaw is not a good idea. Once they start breaking down they rarely bounce back.ALLAN O, yeah, Brady Quinn is an enigma to a lot of people. I
    was very impressed with him at N.D.He was a difference maker there as he led a lot of come-back victory’s. He has all the measureables you look for in a franchise Q.B. Just doesn’t seem to get it done?

80. By scjoe on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

Ron, see my 64 post on previous story. I believe it because I have seen it done, many times. It comes down to competent personnel decisions. The players needed to take this team from a laughing stock to a contender are out there, either in free agency or through the draft, or already on the roster, and I am not talking about high priced, over the hill FAs. I am talking about being realistic, filling immediate needs, prioritizing, through the draft and free agency. I don’t agree with the notion you can’t help yourself in free agency, and the better teams build through the draft. Whatever it takes! Again, I am not saying they are winning any championships this year (not unless everything falls in to place) but competing.

81. By Ronbo19 on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

STEVE SC, Your right about the ongoing r.b. debate. Payton is without a doubt one of the all time greats. The thing with him is at least some of his success was due to longevity as well as his outstanding toughness and athletic ability. And there is a lot to be said for his ability to stay healthy.Obviously, there is some luck involved there as well.Payton was not as flamboyant as Sayers or Sanders he was more of a straight ahead, in your FACE style which is not as fun to watch but he was great none the less!

82. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting to Score Points on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

Good one on “Fire” by Brown, GaryC, but Hendrix’s “Fire” or that of the Ohio Players would do just as well for lighting a fire until this loser of a franchise.

83. By stevesc on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, I’m with you 100% regarding FA’s and building through the draft… The only way for a team to really get younger, which many of us here on the Radar want, is via the draft. When a team has so many holes to fill, as do the Jets, drafting seems to be a no brainer. I agree that if you are one or two players away from being a contender, free agency makes sense. We all know the Jets do not fit that scenario, so DRAFT, DRAFT, DRAFT! As always IMHO.

84. By Tom Spicer on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet, You wanted me to narrow my list of 8 down to 2. I can do that but we will just have to wait until March when we see who is cut & what happens in free agency. At that point you can really narrow it down to 3 or 4 guys who we will pick at 9. Than for that 6 weeks everyone will be fighting about which of those 3 or 4 guys we should take & we will finally have something new to talk about.

85. By IRA on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

Don’t see the Jets being players in free agency except for some 2nd tier players. However one player i have always like was Randy Starks and if the Jets as i think they will do cut Pouha or at least tell him to take a pay cut and as i expect DeVito goes North to Buff or NE Starks is a player i would like to see them get. Another is Levitre who is only 26 yrs old and if he is the same or a bit cheaper than Moore then i would try to sign him. Sorry Moore but Levitre is 7 years younger and maybe if they think Ducasse can grab one of the OG spots then they won’t have to draft a OG in the first rd. Its an interesting debate.
    As for Keller its a shame he couldn’t stay on the field this year but his 1st 4 yrs he caught 213 passes,2559 yds, and …

86. By IRA on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

15 TD’s. They just won’t be able to spend 5-6 mill per year for a TE. Cumberland is a nice TE who can catch but i think they will have to draft one and add another through free agency for a lot less money.
    M Moore’s asking price is going to go up with the lack of quality QB’s around. Who would have ever thought he would be the top free agent teams are looking at. Its a shame they handled D Stanton the way they did last year. He would be another guy i would look at but i can’t see him coming back to the Jets after what happened last year.

87. By GaryC on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

With the combine a few days away,the burning question will be,” How does Manti Te’o handle the face to face interviews”

88. By Ronbo19 on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

Row, I like G.Bernard too. He is certianly worth considering at pick# 8 in Rd.2 You are correct about his multiple abilities as he is fast, can catch the ball out of the backfield. In short, he is a playmaker.I dont think T.Young is a good fit however as he is basically a Santonio Holmes-lite! Do we really need another ‘its all about me” primadonna reciever? KARAN, come on baby, ya gotta step up your game bro. Ya gotta stop bringing up re-tread guys who are all busted up. Tom64 & Byrdman talk about bringing in young draft picks and building a team correctly. Do you really believe bringing in guys like Mendenhal (who is basically a Shonne Green clone) are gonna make us better?

89. By MIKE on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

I’ve been somewhat impressed with how the Jets have been handling business lately. And by that I mean how they’ve been keeping there mouths shut. No talk of the Revis trade rumours, or that of Sanchez and the QB issues. For the first time in a long time I think the Jets might actually start making smart calculated good long term decisions for the franchise, instead of looking at the next season only.

Round 1 Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia,
    Round 2 Jonathan Cooper G North Carolina,
    Round 3 EJ Emanuel QB Florida St.

90. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

DOES ANYBODY THINK GOODELL DESERVES TO BE PAID $29.5 MIL A YEAR?!?!?!? — which is what Cimini reports he was paid in 2011.

91. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

For the “We’ve got to re-sign Keller” crowd: “No Jets love: Eleven players from the AFC East made the Pro Football Weekly top 50 free-agent list — but no Jets. The Dolphins led the way with six players — LT Jake Long (3rd), RB Reggie Bush (15), CB Sean Smith (27), DT Randy Starks (28), WR Brian Hartline (41) and QB Matt Moore (46). Three Patriots made it — CB Aquib Talib (14), WR Wes Welker (17) and OT Sebastian Vollmer (20). The Bills had two — G Andy Levitre (18) and S Jarius Byrd (22).” I’ve been reading PFW since 1967 and they always have some of the most hard-nosed, realistic writers around. We could use some more hard-nosed, realistic fans when it comes to mediocrities whom we allegedly can’t live without.

92. By IRA on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

Mike,
    Cooper would be a good choice but he will never get past the first rd.

93. By Karan on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Greene and Mendenhall are nowhere near similiar. Mendenhall provided Pittsburgh a nice running game when he was healthy. He fought for extra yards. Greene is a power back but it seems like everytime he gets touched, he just drops, he has no turn moves or juke moves, whatever that is called. And like Spicer said, just because he was injured one season doesn’t mean he still can’t spark a run attack. Yea, he had one bad season, not a big deal, it happens, lets just hope IF he does come here, he should have a great season. The guy will get healthy this offseason and he is still only 25 years old! Like I said, draft a RB, I never said I was opposed to drafting, bring in Chris Ivory or bring in Rashard Mendenhall.

94. By Ronbo19 on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

IRA & Mike,, while its quite possible IRAis correct about G, J.Cooper not being there at pk #8 in Rd 2, I’ll bet thats more likely to happan than the Jets takeing Manuel in the 3rd.rd.? While I like his strong arm & athletic ability, I would like him more in the 4th rd as I dont see him as ready to contribute this year. As we have so many holes to fill (at least 1 G,2 OLB;s, T.E, R.B plus depth throughout the roster I think rd. 3 is too high for a developemental Q.B? Hey, if it happans I wont burn my Jet jersey as I do like Manuel, like I said, I’d like him later better.TOM64, amen brother, say no to Keller!

95. By scjoe on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Mike, if Emanuel fell to the Jets in the third round I believe it will turn out to be the steal of the draft. I think after the combine, and after all is said and done, Emanuel will emerge as one of the better QBs in this class. He has all the God given tools. As for Jones? I think that pick would make sense IF he were still there, but not sure Rex would agree, he just don’t fit Rex’s system in regard to his size and weight.

96. By scjoe on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Ira, nice thought about Ducasse “maybe” grabbing one of the starting guard spots. I just don’t see it happening. Remember, Idzik has no ties to any of these remaining players, no loyalty, he is going strictly by what he sees, that does not bode well for a guy like Ducasse.Same can be said for the rest of the roster, including Mark Sanchez.

97. By scjoe on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Ron, as for the “building through the draft” theory? Has a nice ring to it right? BUT, It is not quite as easy as ABC! How many teams can you think of that have been consistently successful “building through the draft” ONLY?? I say “maybe” one. The Steelers. Because even though I don’t know this for a fact, I think they too have signed a FA or 2 over the years. And when was their last SB win? Now, how many have failed? NE has been pretty successful signing FAs. Agree? No matter what anyone says, there has to be a realistic blend. And there is, with most teams.

98. By Ronbo19 on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

KARAN, wrong,wrong wrong! Mendenhall is the same age,same size & exactly the same style of R.B Greene is.
    If you think Greene is so much worse why do you keep lobbying to bring him back?(if we can get him cheap?)
    Here’s the thing bro,R.B’s have short careers as they take a constant pounding.Once they start breaking down its time to move on to a younger less beat up model.So say no to Mendenhall, no to Bradshaw, and definately no to Greene. Besides, Green & Mendenhall are poor fits for a W/C offence

99. By Ronbo19 on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, I think Emanuel is the guy in the christmas songs? E.J. Manuel is the Q.B we both like.I would prefer him in Rd.4 as I said in my above post as there is an excellent chance he will be there, however, as I have mentioned, Q.B is the one posisition teams will take a guy one round earlier (reach) than they have him rated as the supply is always low.So no, that wouldn’t break my heart either.

100. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

“Just the fact that that was put out there instead of contacting your best player on the team. If that’s how you want to do business, then that’s fine,” Revis told NFL Network.” Words can’t describe how much I want to see this guy traded, so I won’t risk using any that Randy won’t print. All you need to know about this loser — yes, LOSER, because he’s more about himself than the team — is that he doesn’t even notice that he’s calling HIMSELF the best player on the team. I want no part of guys like that at any price, any skill level, anytime, on any team, anywhere. I knew he had absolutely no class and was all about money but this ridiculous quote confirms all that and more beyond my worst fears. See ya on St Louis, Duh-relle!

101. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Another sickening thing about the Revis situation is the fans and sportswriters who immediately say things like, “Other Jet players will be upset at the way the Jets are treating Darrelle.” No, other players will be upset that one of their teammates unilaterally declares he’s the best player on the team. Wonder what Holmes, a SB MVP, thinks of Revis’s assessment of his royal self? Or Mangold, who didn’t whine or hold out for a new contract while Revis did, despite deserving a deal every bit as good as Revis’? Oh well, I guess reflexive support for the greediest, least team-oriented players just tells you which fans and sportswriters ever played on a team of any kind or not…

102. By IRA on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,
    Just trying to keep an open mind with Ducasse I would be surprised if he starts but you never know. I would not bet on it.

103. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

A sampling of utterly sane remarks on Revis from the Cimini story:
    “Can this guy go 30 seconds without talking about how great he is? When Champ Bailey was young and the best, he didn’t run his mouth all the time. God, I am so tired of diva jocks.”
    “That’s Revis for you, always asking for an extra 2 mil then the yr before.”
    “Just trade him and start to rebuild from this debacle.”
    “The whole ‘Revis Island’ thing really has gone to his head.”
    “Wait until Revis is washed up and dying for a ring…then he might be a team player..”
    I COULDN’T AGREE MORE!

104. By ivesufferedso long on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

why not give bilal powell a legit shot.

105. By GaryC on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Here is a thought on society today,Why is it now that every big sporting event held,you think you are watching the grammy awards,yet when watching the grammys you never get the feeling you are watching a sporting event.

106. By scjoe on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Ron, re: Manuel? I have a gut feeling that he will soar up the boards following the combine (if he participates) and following his pro day. I have watched tape on this guy and I think he has it all, arm strength, athleticism, leadership qualities, and great mobility, but most of all because of his accuracy. He is statistically the most accurate FSU QB ever! With coaching and experience I think he will be a starter for a long time in this league, wouldn’t mind if it were with the NY Jets.

107. By Ronbo19 on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, dont get me wrong, I’m not against bringing in F/A’s, just the timeing on when.I would rather bring in significant upgrades when we are closer to winning meaningful games and need a tweak or two.I dont want to start bringing in brokendown R.B’s like Mendenhall or Bradshaw as they will most likely breakdown again and then we are back to square one with more dead cap space?I like M.Moore but I’m afraid he will be in big demand which will drive his price too high for us.

108. By Byrdman on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

64-Tom That’s why the average random “joe sixpack” doesn’t rise to the stratosphere of “Best NFL Corner” It takes talent, long hours of practice,film study and Ambition. So you want Revis traded because you don’t like his attitude yet you “wonder” what “One big catch in a SB 5 years ago super-diva Holmes” thinks ?? I would kick Tone out to the curb with the dirty used tape, broken cleats and assorted garbage found in a football teams locker room:D
    All Revis did was question why the team didn’t approach him first before the parasites in the media plastered the “Trade Revis” speculation all over the front page.
    Hell, I don’t blame the guy one bit !

109. By Byrdman on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe – there’s an interesting chart on NFL.com regarding the Free-Agent vs Draft debate. It doesn’t prove conclusively that the SB caliber teams build EXCLUSIVELY through the draft, but I noticed many of the perennial laughingstock teams (Detroit, Oakland) acquire the most FA’s and the solid, stable year in and out winning organizations like Baltimore and Pittsburgh construct their teams from their own drafts then occasionally grab the FA’s they feel best fit their Team Profile.
    I was an 80% draft proponent before Idzik – NOW I’m hovering around 95% at least in the immediate future for the Jets.

110. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Revis is all about money. Now, I’m trying to say that Revis shouldn’t get paid for his services. But what ever happened to honoring your contract? If you still have a year left on your contract why should the NYJ even talk to you? You signed a contract..do your job. Play. Wait until the season is over and let’s evaluate your performance on the field. You are a CORNERBACK Mr.Revis..not Tom Brady..not Aaron Rodgers. Revis is an “I” guy not a team guy. I’m tired of hearing him and his woe is me act. If the NYJ can get at least a #1 and #3 for him do it. Get it over with and move on.

111. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

I stated before..If Revis was like a Deion Sanders and gave you punt/kick off returns along with shutting WR’s down then I would think twice about keeping you on board. But I’m not willing to sacrifice the teams future for just 1 player that is not a franchise QB. This new GM must rebuild and if he gets any value for revis then do it. Our secondary played well without him so Revis has no leverage here, plus he’s coming off an ACL injury. I like Revis, but if you were a team player you would say to mgmnt “I want to stay a Jet, but we need players, so let’s do a cap friendly deal and get players to help me win a championship!”..but we know that won’t happen.

112. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

And Revis should just think about this..if the Jets get a pass rush a shut down corner is not really needed. Just look at the NYG when they won. And if the Jets don’t get LB’s to replace pace, scott and thomas guess who will have to come up to tackle and help a medicore LB corps? You Mr.Revis…would you like a 235 RB coming at you because you want to be a $100mil. dollar man? Come on man..$100mil for a CB??? Makes no sense..

113. By Tom Spicer on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

The Jets just cut Calvin Pace, Jason Smith, Eric Smith & Chris Baker. Only 1 of these guys started & just from those cuts we are $1,000,000 under the cap. Like I have been saying our cap situation is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Now cut Tebow, Shone Pouha & Bart Scott & we will be $10,000,000 under the cap. That should be enough money to sign most of our free agents.

114. By Tom Spicer on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

If you look at the Jets roster either there are 4 categories I put them in 1 they dont make much money 2 they are free agents 3 they make alot of money but we do not want to restructure them cause we want to get them off the books as soon as possible (sanchez & holmes) 4 the guys who make alot of money & we do want to keep long term. Group 4 mangold, brick, harris & cromartie. These 4 guys are good make alot of money & we want them long term. I would try to get all 4 of these guys to resturucture. With the above cuts that happened & the 3 I proposed that $10,000,000 under the cap that I said can VERY easily go to $15,000,000 or $20,000,000. We would not only be able to sign all of our free agents but we could pick up a free agent

115. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

From the excellent NFL site piece on why we’ll trade Revis: “The Jets, even with Revis, are the worst team in the AFC East. They need to retool and rebuild. Keeping Revis and trying to win a few more games would be akin to using a band-aid when you need surgery. It’s really not an option, and credit Woody Johnson for knowing it. Revis wants his money. He always has. Right after he ended his 2010 holdout, he stressed he might do it again, seemingly before the ink was dry. In Johnson’s eyes, Revis has never truly been happy from Day 1, prioritizing paper green over Gang Green.” In the eyes of anybody with a brain, not just Johnson, I might add…

116. By Tom Spicer on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

As per Rotoworld “The Jets cut Bart Scott the move gives the Jets an additional $8 million in cap space on top of the roughly $24 million they saved earlier Tuesday by cutting Calvin Pace, Jason Smith, Eric Smith and Josh Baker” The Jets are now $9,000,000 under tha cap.

117. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know what that little stutter-step of holding back the news on Scott was — maybe Rex needed a few more seconds to plead on behalf of his overpriced bust of a buddy as they hauled Mr. Can’t Wait to a waiting cab surrounded by Jet fans eager to return the gesture Scott once visited on them — but it’s a great day when a loudmouthed mediocrity like Scott is sent packing with no fanfare, no agonizing, and nothing but perhaps an inflated eulogy from Rex, who stands helplessly watching some of his favorite underachievers carted out of Florham Park. “Can’t wait” to see the same thing happen to Sanchez and Revis, though at least we’ll get something for that last loser.

118. By walt on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Why is Revis demanding a new contract when he still has a year left on his old contract.We do not need Revis we had the second best pass defence in The NFl without him.If he was willing to play for the 6 million he is to make and not gripe or complain I would keep him but you know that is not going to happen so I say get rid of him now.

119. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

No, this post on ESPN about Revis was not written by me, but it sure coulda been: “Life long Jets fan (sorry) – Dump him, trade him, get rid of him. If there ever was a player that was all about himself and not a shred of team, it’s Revis. He’s a cancer. Cut out the tumor before it gets any bigger. The Jets aren’t going to be any good this year anyway. Why not use the space and money for a better future?” There’s another really good one about holdouts on the same ESPN story that I’m going to print in a minute…

120. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Here’s the one about holdouts, which explains what Cimini recently called the “surprising support” for trading Revis. “Surprising” only to guys like you who get paid to sit in luxury boxes and watch the games, Rich: “You know what is interesting about the posts today on this thread? The fans remember holdouts. No matter how much we like Revis and think he is a very good CB, the majority of the posts say to trade him and get something of value. The reason we all say trade him now is because we all saw the holdouts in the past and they really do rub us the wrong way. Lesson to the players: Fans forgive holdouts…BUT we don’t forget.”

121. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, I played CB and WR long before Revis or Cro were born, so don’t lump me in with any Joe Sixpacks. I want to trade Revis for a ton of reasons, such as: (1) He’s all about $ and always has been (2) We’re going nowhere next yr and need picks badly (3) We can’t remotely afford to risk getting nothing for him down the road (4) His attitude is horrible, not at all conducive to building a winner — how could it be, when all he talks about is himself? Idzik, the organization, and nobody else in Florham Park owes him a damn thing in the way of a courtesy call about anything. In fact, if Idzik is trying to make a strong statement to the rest of the team that narcissism/solipsism like Revis’ will be treated firmly, I’m all for it!

122. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

And by the way, Byrdman, I earned “kudos,” as they say in Tinseltown, from even the hard-to-please GaryC, Spicer, and MJV when I switched positions and said Holmes must go too. Just about anybody on this team over 30 should go and Idzik seems to know it. I saw a post yesterday on ESPN in which some loser practically said it was better to have Curtis Martin in the HOF and 4th all-time in rushing than to have him on a SB-winning Jet team. That is EXACTLY the kind of pathetic thinking that has held this franchise back pretty much since the day Namath went to the Rams. It must end and its end starts with dealing Revis for whatever we can get before this yr’s draft. Before I say GO JETS again, I say GO IDZIK!

123. By kleckofan on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

JFT64- I watched Revis w Andrea Cramer last night and the thing that struck me immediately was the quote about being the team’s best player. It almost seemed like he knew he was sticking his foot in it, he seemed to hesitate a beat, but then went with it. The NFL Network guys commenting afterward asked why the Jets should be contacting him, to do what? Ask permission to explore options? As I’ve said before, I hate to lose a great player,but it makes all the sense in the world to get value given our circumstances.
    Byrdman- Yes, I too want to start getting rid of players because of their attitudes; its how you build a team.
    We are getting to the point w cap space where cutting Sanchez won’t be so hard to swallow….just sayin’

124. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Bye-Bye to the dead weights. Here’s how I see this team shaping up with the salary cap.
    Matt Moore-QB/ Mcknight/Powell/Draft pick-RB’s Holmes/Kerley/Edwards/Hill-WR’s / Offensive line stays intact. F.Davis/Cumberland/H.Smith-TE
    Defense
    Wilkinson/Ellis/Coples- D-line
    McIntyre/Davis/Harris/S.Phillips-LB’s
    Cro-Revis-CB
    Bush/Allen-FS
    Bell-SS
    With the money available Matt Moore/Shaun Phillips/Fred Davis and maybe a free agent RB may give us a respectable season

125. By SQUIRREL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

JFS64 — you are readming my mind brother and taking the words right out of my mouth or away from my fingertips. Trade revis, and get draft picks = more cap space. then you will have room to unload sanchez and holmes. see if you can trade them and get something. on the right team Holmes could be a good slot guy or even good no 2. Sanchez could be a decent no 2 backup, who after a couple years of getting his head straigh being away from the circus may actually be able to see the field again. the whole point is to have no restrictions in 2014. get rid of all the junk now and face all the pain now. That way when the next andrew luck is in the draft we can grab him. build up your team aroud the QB until we can find one worth while.

126. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Don’t you know that’s the way it works these days, klecko? Everybody’s a victim, “taking responsibility” and then saying you “weren’t in the loop” is standard practice, and diva jocks claim to be down with the people while demanding more money than entire Fortune 500 companies gross. Ah yes, we didn’t ask Darrelle’s permission to trade him so we don’t have to hear him ask for more $ almost before the ink on his new contract is dry. GIVE ME A MAJOR BREAK! This team, this league, and I’m tempted to say this country (some of the old-timers will agree with me on that, but I support the young folks too) needs to get real and it starts with, as Allan says, getting real about dead weight. By the way, nice projected line-up, Allan, except for DR.

127. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

SQUIRREL, I nominate these words for Best Quote from a Jets Post of 2013 to Date: “Sanchez could be a decent no. 2 backup, who after a couple years of getting his head straight being away from the circus may actually be able to see the field again. The whole point is to have no restrictions in 2014. get rid of all the junk now and face all the pain now. That way when the next Andrew Luck is in the draft we can grab him. build up your team around the QB until we can find one worth while.” Second place is your thought about using the cap space to cut Sanchez, klecko…

128. By Chicago Bob on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

I think all of us would like to see Revis finish his career here however the Jets are headed in a different direction and it is not going to happen – you cannot pay this guy what he is asking and be competitive – just not financially possible. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that his rehab is moving quickly to the point more teams will enter the “sweepstakes”. Even if it is at the league minimum, I do not want any of these guys back. Jets need to move in a different direction and get some youth and speed in here. When you think about it, the fact the Jets were able to do so well on the defensive side of the ball with 3 (Pace, Scott, Smith) of the slowest guys in their respective positions in the NFL is somewhat amazing.

129. By scjoe on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Here is how I sum up the Revis issue…Yes, he is all about the money, but so are 90% of all the players. If they can sign him long term and not break the bank, do it! If not, make the best deal possible, either through trade plus pick, or all picks. The thing you have to do is make sure you get a quality pass rusher in return, either young pro, or high #1 pick. That would go a long way toward leveling the playing field.

130. By Ronbo19 on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

ALLAN O, you were doing really well but you lost me when you had MacIntyre starting at OLB. He’s a nice back -up but I’m hopeing we draft our next OLB this year? But over-alll you had a decent team listed.Not sure we can get Phillips or F.Davis but worth a try. Glad you didn’t have Keller as I hope he’s a goner too.S.C.Joe, come on dude, no reaction for my Emanuel christmas joke? I thought that was hysterical?O.K, how about mildly amusing? I do think you are right, he certianly is an impressive physical specimen. I’ll be rooting with you on draft day if we pick him.

131. By scjoe on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Ron, the real cold, hard fact is that NO team builds entirely through the draft. Not Pitt, not Baltimore, none! What those teams do is acquire “selective” FAs. That has been what I have been advocating. It would be senseless to pass over a player that would fill a need, upgrade a spot, and stay with in the cap structure in the process, simply because he i Is a FA. Those teams you mentioned who may abuse the FA system (Oakland, etc) have not done all that well in the draft process either. So, I see that as a blemish on their “overall” decision making, not just free agency. It takes a blend, it takes sound decision making, lets stay tuned, closely, for the next few months. I for one will watch that decision making very closely.

132. By Ronbo19 on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

S.C.JOE,actually i believe you are responding here to BYRDMANS excellent post.Hey, both of you guys make great points but I believe we are all basically on the same page here.Still a lot of time till the draft so lets just see what goes down bro.

133. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Far fewer than 10% of NFL players hold their teams up for new contracts every other year, scjoe. As for filling needs, this coming year isn’t going to be about filling needs short-term but building a team long-term. It’s a move that’s been overdue for this franchise for most of this century, to say the least.

134. By scjoe on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, sorry, I have a terrible flu and head cold, so I addressed my last response to Ron about YOUR Oakland and Detroit comment. But, your analogy of Pitt and Baltimore, and how they address free agency is exactly what I have been advocating. I don’t want to go out and sign every big name, high priced, past their prime FA either, just those that make good sense for this team, and I believe there are some out there. I think that 80- 85% figure you spoke of is a nice target. Ron, sorry dude, the Christmas comment went right over my congested head.

135. By Byrdman on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

64 Tom – I never said you were a “JOE six-pack” that would’ve been poor phrasing, since you post comments under the name “TOM” My comment was in reference to the millions of athletes that played in high-school or college but lacked the talent or the work ethic and discipline to reach the NFL, much less a player of Revis’ caliber.
    The term narcissism is probably accurate description of hundreds of NFL players – I think your misapplying the word “solipsism” here though.
    If Revis were a genuine, 100% solipsistic he would be unable to function within the structure of society, much less engage in a complex synergism like the NFL.

136. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

64Tom, I had Revis in the lineup to show that he is still under contract. But I’m with you on trading him for draft picks. This team has to rebuild. And everyone knows you don’t build your team around the CB you build it around the QB/Off.line. Ronbo19, McIntyre will start. I’m not crazy about it..but the NYJ would either have to draft an OLB in the 1st rd. to be able to start or get (2) OLB’s via FA. Which I don’t know if we can afford. Shaun Phillips and Paul Kruger are the only 2 OLB worth getting.

137. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Thanks, Byrdman, I didn’t get why criticizing an obvious narcissist/possible solipsist like Revis seemed, in your post, to put the onus on Joe Sixpack, much less me as Joe Sixpack. Okay, if you were just referring to Revis’ work ethic, I get it, but his team ethic is hugely unimpressive, which is why I quoted those comments from Jet fans on ESPN. Back to solipsism, it’s not a DSM-IV term and I wasn’t using it clinically anyway, I meant it more like Alan Watts’ joke about the folks at a solipsists’ convention who all insist that none of the others are real. When it comes to money, Revis sure as hell acts like he’s the only one who needs any of it. And as uncle joe says, what kind of team leader tells the world he’s the team’s best player?

138. By Ronbo19 on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAN,& T-64 Dudes, you lost me with s-o-l-i p-s-i-st stuff? Do you guys no any one or two syllable words? Duh?
    ALLAN O, While I concede its possible MacIntyre starts I’m aiming higher.The reason he’s bounced around so long including stops in the Arena and Canadian league is simply is not an everydown NFL player. He is not big enough at 6-21/2 250 to play D.E and not fast or agile enough to play OLB. He’s a decent situational pass rusher as he’s more of a clean-up guy who basically can get a sack if the Q.B is flushed into him. Anyway, I am hopeing we do go OLB in Rd 1 and then mabey sign a guy like Phillips too. With Pace gone & Thomas likely to not be resigned we actually need 2 OLB’s.

139. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Everybody BUT REX knows that, Allan! (about building around the QB/OL, that is). One more thing, Byrdman, I’ve got nothing against being called Joe Sixpack if that means a guy who loves football and doesn’t fall for any hype, political correctness, or other such nonsense, all of which are happily absent at the stadium on Sundays. Only if Joe Sixpack means a guy who sits on a couch and talks big without knowing anything about the game do I take any offense to being called that. The Joe Sixpacks on this site not only know a hell of a lot about the game, most of them seem to have played it or at least studied it very closely for many years.

140. By Byrdman on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

64 Tom – Yeah we’re good here, glad you questioned my post, I’d hate to think I had unintentionally offended one of my fellow “Radar” enthusiasts.
    I see what you mean about Revis’ Best player on the team quote, it certainly lacked any shred of humility or team solidarity.
    My friends in Michigan think that it’s basically a “given” that Revis is the best player on the Jets, with Mangold a close second. The consensus is that he’s the best shutdown corner in the NFL therefore it goes without saying he would be the single best NY Jet player. Here,Lion fans fondly remember the way Barry Sanders nonchalantly tossed the ball to the ref after scoring and was the epitome of quiet class off the field – Revis could learn a lot from Barry Sanders.

141. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Ha, Ronbo, that’s funny, I try to engage with Jet fans on whatever level they want, from the highbrow to the lowbrow. (Or as Dinah Washington once famously sang, “I play the high-class joints…I play the low-class joints…”) But for the record, yeah, I know plenty of one-syllable, totally unsophisticated words. They’re the ones I usually call Rex and Sanchez that Randy won’t print.

142. By Byrdman on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo – Yeah I hear Ya, I was waiting for someone to jump all over that!
    I’m familiar with many of those terms because my brother has a PHD in Psychology. So, I appreciated Tom64 using it here, even tho many folks most likely never heard the word before :D
    I’m with you 100% on the rebuilding (primarily) through the draft, fill in a quality medium priced FA where we have to.
    Yeah, MacIntyre is a “tweener” not really tall enough to be a DE, too slow to be a 3-4 LB. If the Jets get an absolute Beast at OLB with the #9 pick, we can live with situational subs like Mac and a later round draft pick out there. Maybe Rex or Thurmond will discover a hidden gem at the combine?

143. By Byrdman on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo – It’s amusing to me that the condition known as the Fear of long words is itself a 13 syllable word: hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia :D

144. By scjoe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

64, in the words of one of the great presidents of our time “let me make this perfectly clear” I am not a Darrell Revis apostle. I know about the contract holdouts, but I have to question that 10% range. Welcome to the NFL. If you can sensibly resign one of the top 5 defensive players in the league, arrogance and all, you have to do it. If you can’t do it economically, and feasibly you make the best deal possible, that’s where I’m at. As for filling “short term needs” as opposed to “building long term” EVERY team does both EVERY year! Some teams do it right, some don’t!

145. By Ronbo19 on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

T64, I always enjoy a good laugh so dont worry, I have a dictionary at my desk at all times.Actually I love the back & forth here as I constantly have fun with guys like Spicer, Gary c & of course you and S.C.Joe. I think Byrdman is the comedian here (I do miss Bennett and Danny though)and Allan is kind of the wise sage here. All in good fun though.

146. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

LOL…now that was funny 64Tom..I had a few 1 syllable words for rex and sanchez too over the season as I’m sure we all did.

147. By Byrdman on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe – Drink some herbal tea for that cold, if it’s the Flu you may need to take more drastic measures. I haven’t been sick in 25 years and have never caught the flu – I use pure vitamin D3 and concentrated oil of Oregano drops to boost my immune system. I swear by the natural home remedies, the liquid extracts are the best and can be mixed into juice or tea, or like I do with the Oregano, place a couple drops under the tongue at the first sign of colds cough or sneezing. Several companies publish lists of herbal remedies online.
    Hope this helps.

148. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

The Barry Sanders reference is a great one re Revis, Byrdman. I tried to actually put myself in the position of telling anyone I know that I’m the best at anything, and I simply couldn’t do it. So I’m really at a loss to understand how Revis could say that about himself on national TV. Doesn’t he know that the whole idea is just to do your job and let OTHER people say things like that about you?

149. By scjoe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Ron, thanks for the tip bud. Fact is, I don’t get sick to often myself. I do take a lot of the herbal remedies, I also take Epicor for the immune system along with V-C and zinc. Sometimes you just can’t avoid it. I am on the last day of a Z-pack, so I hope to be over it soon.

150. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

MMM….I wonder how Mangold felt about Revis saying he is the best player on the team? I can see Mangold now..really? does he snap the ball? Does he call out plays on the line of scrimage? Does he take on Butch Wilfork twice a year.?…Besides QB..Center is the most important player.

151. By steven on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

trade Revis for a first & third pick and first round pick in 14. Trade Crowmartie for a first & third pick & first round pick in 14. Trade Santonio Holmes for a first & third pick. that would give us four first round picks for 13 & two first round picks in 14. The team would be younger and faster in two years. This year with three first round picks we could get RB Eddie Lacy as a playmaker, OG Chance Warmick and Fluker for the OL wich would give us instantly one of the best lines in the NFL this year giving our QB’s time to throw. Or we could get RB Eddie Lacy, Chance Warmick and Sam Montgomery as a pass rusher who is 6’5′ 260lb and runs a 4.5 forty & pass rusher in 2 rd. Trade up with two first round picks in 14 for jadeveon Clowney

152. By steven on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Revis is good but selfish. I’d rather have all young players who are good and paid the same amount than the best player in the NFL who wants all the money the team needs to build a championship team.

153. By Ronbo19 on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, I’m beginning to wonder how sick you really are? Dude, thats the third time you replyed to me for Byrdmans post to you? Dude, you sure your o.k bro? Bye the way, if I had sent you a home remedy it would have involved alchol of some type. Black zambuccha for sore throat of flemm, irish mist for stuffy nose, and of course my cure-all prevent-all for anything is “a couple of beers a day to keep the sickness away”! Please keep in mind I’m Irish-Italian so all the built-in excuses are in play here! FEEL BETTER my friend!

154. By Ronbo19 on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAN, great stuff dude! I was lov’n it. I know T-64 is a really sharpe dude as I cant understand half the stuff he comes out with. Its all good though as he is a great fan and from what I can figure, I think we agree about a lot of stuff here? ( At least I think we do?)Oh well,. Bye the way, check out my above post to S.C.Joe, I’m sure all the stuff you suggested is awsome, but my way is a lot more fun and like you I am never sick.Drives my wife nuts I have a couple of beers a day and I’m healthy as a grizzly bear on honey.

155. By Ronbo19 on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAN, Dude, your killing me. You must have been on those t.v. shows in the 60’s where they had the kids spelling bee championshi! Dude, i couldn’t spell cat if you spotted me the c & the a?

156. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I had no idea that me and Byrdman would touch off so many words about wordplay. One thing is clear, though: The Jets have to stop talking so much nonsense in WORDS and start PLAYING a lot better! And as one of my younger Jet fan friends might say to that, “WORD!”

157. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, Ronbo, I think the alcoholic cures are the most wholistic ones — ’cause after a few margaritas, “I’ll probably feel a WHOLE lot better,” as the Byrds once sang. (That’s for you, Byrdman.) Leave it to us Italians to find the fun way to do anything. For more on that, see if you can dig up the old (maybe the late ’60s) interview with Mastroianni in which he explains how in Italy at 5 PM movie production stops and the eating, drinking, and romancing at the trattoria begins. Almost as good as that home movie footage from around the same time of Bunuel mixing a martini. And today’s American movie people are all bent out of shape about supermarket plastic bags, jeez!

158. By Chicago Bob on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Steven, with the exception of Mike Tannenbaum I cannot think of any GM living (or dead) who would give up all of that for Revis, Cromartie & Holmes. The Jets are going to be lucky to get a 1st and something else for Revis due to his injury and salary demands. As far as Cromartie goes, I would be shocked if anyone would offer the Jets anything better than a 2nd rounder (it is not as if he has been playing at his 2012 level for years) and for Holmes, the Jets traded a 5th round pick to get him when he was a better player – that tells you how valuable other teams thought of him back then – and now, when he his skills have worsened and he is an even bigger clown than when Pittsburgh had him! No one is going to give you anything for this guy.

159. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Your right Ron, I did it again. Don’t mind me, I am still in a fog. Next thing you know I will be including Mark Sanchez in those “elite” QB debates. I am an FBI (full blooded Italian) so a glass of red is in my daily diet.

160. By Byrdman on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

64 Tom – Yeah Barry will always occupy a special place for my family. Took my two sons to the Lions thanksgiving day game every year for about 15 years. One of the first words or phrases my son Seth could say was “GO BARRY” He heard me say it 1000X watching games at home, then 50k people at the Lions stadium. We’ve got his jersey in a zip-lock bag. My son cried when Barry retired! For an athlete of that caliber, blessed with his mind blowing ability to stop/start/cut and change direction, he was the most unselfish, humble, genuine team player in the NFL. Had the Lions been a better team, Barry would have SHATTERED every rushing record in the book. Had Barry played for better coaches, he’d have played another 5 years in my opinion.

161. By Byrdman on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe, Ronbo, 64Tom – I can appreciate your affinity for a good stiff drink to kill a cold (or at least help you endure it) My grandfather lived to be 95, used to drink 1 beer everyday and never got sick. Our family dog was named Schaefer after Grandpa’s favorite brew. He made his own Brandy in a secret storm shelter under his basement in Brooklyn, and would sell it locally to supplement his income during tough times. When we were sick, our parents would give us a teaspoon of his blackberry or apricot brandy – knocked the stuffing outta that cough every time :D

162. By ronbo on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, no problem my man. We’v all been there.Bye the way, although I am only half pizan you didn’t think I thought FBI was anything else did you?

163. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, ditto, ditto, and ditto on Barry Sanders. That is why I contradicted Ira at the very top of this post when I said that Barry Sanders was the greatest RB ever! Imagine if he hadn’t retired at the peak of his career? ala Jim Brown. I believe he would still hold the record for yardage and YPC. He was the complete package. And I don’t think any NFL fan can ever forget him handing the ball to the official after one of his many TDs
    Ron, that was just precautionary LOL!

164. By ronbo on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAN, loved your above post concerning barry Sanders. A lot of Jet fans are enveous as we have few home grown jets that we feel that way about. T64’s guy Curtis martin is an all time great jet,class act, and certianly a superstar in his own right.But he did start out with the hated Pats.No big deal there but Barry was a special player and its nice to see the Detroit fans showing him some love here.Good job bro!