Five Are Gone, but ‘They’ll Always Be Jets’

Posted by Randy Lange on February 19, 2013 – 3:16 pm

General manager John Idzik and the Jets front office made their first major transactions this offseason when the team released four veterans — LBs Bart Scott and Calvin Pace, S Eric Smith and T Jason Smith — and announced that FB/TE Josh Baker has been waived.

Thus 34 seasons of NFL experience and 19 of wearing the Green & White have been removed from the roster, freeing up undisclosed salary cap space in the process. The news release was posted on our site a short while ago.

All had their ups and downs, but we’ll choose to have some up memories today, especially since three of the four (Scott, Pace and E.Smith) made contributions to the Jets’ ’09 and ’10 charges into the AFC Championship Game.

Scott, of course, was the first free agency acquisition of Rex Ryan after he left the Ravens as Scott’s D-coordinator to become the Jets’ new head coach in 2009. He was always a great trash talker, but while opponents occasionally took exception, his teammates seemed to enjoy being the target of Bart’s barbs, or at least rolled with the punches and definitely looked up to No. 57 in the locker room.

“It takes tremendous energy and cardio to talk and practice at the same time,” Scott said after one Jets practice. “I enjoy talking because it forces me not to be able to breathe, so it helps me get in shape faster.”

On a more serious note, in one of his first one-on-one interviews after signing with the Jets, Scott explained his game.

“I try and be violent every opportunity I get,” he told me then. “I feel football is a game of wills, and if you have two people clashing with each other, it’s going to hurt both players, but I’m willing to take the pain longer than I believe my opponent is, even if it hurts me. And I think that’s something the fans will see — a lot of violent attempts and collisions, but they’ll also see me get up and they’ll see me continue to throw and never waver. No jabs, nothing but power blows.”

The pain got the best of Bart only once as a Jet, last season when his 129-game appearance streak (including playoffs) was snapped and he missed three starts for the first time since 2005 due to his mangled toe. But his drive and determination kept him on the field most of the way and he finished his four-year Jets stay with a good record of playing behind the other team’s line of scrimmage. Despite his toe-jam, he had a team-leading 7.0 tackles for loss last year and 28.5 TFLs total, most on the Jets the past four years.

My partner, Eric Allen, will have a blog on his four-year relationship with the Madbacker up in the “On the Inside with EA” menu shortly.

Calvin’s Five Years

Pace had a modest record of production in the sack department. In his five Jets regular seasons, he had 28 sacks, not DeMarcus Ware numbers yet the most by a Jets linebacker in a five-year span since Mo Lewis a decade earlier.

Pace in fact had Lewis’ franchise single-season mark of 10 sacks in 2000 in his sites when he said on the eve of the 2011 season opener about double-digit sacks, “I think about it, I write it down and look at it. And I think you should do that. Sometimes you make your goals, sometimes you don’t make them. But it is something that I do. I’m not going to say I know, but I do think this is the year that I get to those goals.”

CP didn’t get there, finishing with 4.5 sacks in ’11. But often that’s because he wasn’t asked to.

“If you flip it on the other side, DeMarcus vs. me — I’m not comparing myself to him, but there’s a 99 percent chance that he’s going to be the one rushing and the Cowboys are going to probably drop the other guy in coverage,” he said. “For the Dolphins, Cameron Wake’s the same way.

“If you break down the film, look at all the stuff I do. And I’m cool with that, I really am. But when Rex calls my number, I’m going to try and do everything I can to get there for him.”

And when Pace was turned loose — such as for his three sacks combined of JaMarcus Russell and Bruce Gradkowski in the 2009 shutout win at Oakland — he was hellacious to watch.

“The Smith Brothers” and J.Baker

Likewise, E.Smith was always ready to pitch in wherever needed, from the time he became the highest compensatory pick ever selected by the Jets (third round, 97th overall in 2006 — he still holds that distinction) through this past year.

Ryan and coordinator Mike Pettine felt so strongly about including him and his knowledge of the defense (not to mention his general knowledge — he has his master’s degree) that they named him a co-starter at safety with LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell, a distinction he held every week of the past season (even though he was officially credited with just two starts).

“That’s what we’re going to do, and it’s looking good,” the upbeat Smith said in early August at Cortland, all the while knowing that his career-high 14 starts from the previous year were not likely to be matched. “We’re excited about it. I think it’ll be good for us.”

But what was always good for ST coordinator Mike Westhoff, assistant coach (and new coordinator) Ben Kotwica and the Jets’ specialists was Smitty’s hard-hitting contributions on kick and punt coverage.

“We’re going to free up Eric to be back with us a little bit more,” Westhoff said back then, to which Smith replied: “I don’t know how he can get me back more. I was on everything.”

Mostly, he was on the opponents’ return men. His 105 special-teams tackles from ’06-12 (including playoffs) was easily the most on the Jets in that span.

Regarding Baker, we hardly knew ye. The FB/TE from Northwest Missouri State by way of Delaware (he was a Blue Hen along with Super Bowl MVP-to-be Joe Flacco) had three catches in 2011, one going for a touchdown against the Giants on Christmas Eve, the day before his birthday. In the offseason and preseason, he talked optimistically about fitting into the Jets’ new offense. Then in the third preseason game vs. Carolina, Panthers CB Josh Norman landed hard on his right knee and Baker was gone to IR for the year.

We saved J.Smith, the second overall pick in the 2009 draft, for last here because he was the last of this foursome to arrive, late last August via the “change of scenery” trade for Wayne Hunter with the Rams. He played on offense in every game last season, averaging 16 plays a game on offense, primarily as a third TE, and a handful more per game on special teams.

The quirky, friendly big guy gave the definite impression he was fitting into his new surroundings.

“I’m very happy to be a part of this team,” he said in November. “I believe in what we’re doing here. The guys who deserve credit are Austin, Brandon, Nick, Matt and D’Brickashaw. Those guys are working real hard to make sure this truck goes.”

The truck may have pulled up for loading the possessions that this quartet had stored at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center for a while. If it returns with one or two in the future, great, they’d be part of the puzzle moving forward. If not, thanks for stopping by, guys, and providing some good memories in the process. As Ryan said regarding today’s departures:

“They all have the work ethic and attitude that you look for in players and they will always be New York Jets. It was an honor to coach each of these men. They are tremendous people as well as outstanding football players.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

112 Responses to “Five Are Gone, but ‘They’ll Always Be Jets’”

1. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

No, Rex, they’ll always be disappointments, just like you, overrrated to beat the band, just like you, and the day that you’re gone along with them can’t come too soon.

2. By SQUIRREL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

you know when you start the piece bringing up bart scott’s trash talk as a high point, things are looking bad. im glad to see these guys go. i liked eric smith and i think that he did have some high times on special teams. Pace and Scott – are well past their prime and overrated and outdated for this NFL. Jsmith – no comment really. Josh baker i would have liked to see what he could have contributed had he not been injured.

3. By SQUIRREL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Randy,
    a quick question. After dropping these guys is possible to sign them later at the league minimum if they do nto sign elsewhere. for instance, jsmith, esmith and baker may not be bad special teams guys or 2nd string projects.

4. By SQUIRREL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Well said JFS64 — anyway we can waive REX RYAN too. lol.

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Thanks, SQUIRREL, I woulda liked to have seen what Baker coulda done if he hadn’t gotten hurt too but this is no time to get sentimental over 3rd-stringers. And speaking of overrated TE’s, Cimini reports that the Jets will talk to Keller’s agent in Indy. Here’s how that talk should go: “If you wanna come back for one yr at much smaller money, we’re open to that. Anything else, sayonara.”

6. By scjoe on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Well, look at it like this….over 31 Mil in cap space was just created. Great start! Cap wise they should be OK. Not great, but OK. The real challange will be personnel decisions.

7. By GaryC on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

The old addition by subtraction theory works again,already the jets are better off,can’t wait for the season to begin,sans,Scott.Now trade Revis for picks,have Milliner as one of your picks,he moves in for Revis and you gain 6 years.

8. By GaryC on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Rex,sounds like you are ready to hang Scott’s and Pace’s jersey in the ring of honor.

9. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Alas! Changes that are necessary and a start at rebuilding. Like SQUIRREL I too would like to have seen what Josh Baker might have contributed. As for REX, MS and TT I would not mind seeing them waived as well. BUT, Rex is here for another year MS will be here for another year and as for TT no word on him yet…

10. By Stevesc on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Providing the Jets do not sign some aging fa linebackers to replace Scott and Pace, the team just got younger, and all I can say to that is AMEN!

11. By MIKE on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Jets make the necessary moves just like dumping Tanny. Now they can focus on trading Revis which not only is inevitable but the smart thing to do.
    At end of last season I would’ve thought there would be no way the Jets try to keep Keller but with a new west coast offence in the works, he may be worth keeping.
    If contract talks are happening with Keller than I can’t see how they could possibly extend Revis.

12. By MrJetGreen on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Let’s get rebuilding this team via the draft.

13. By SCfromNY on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

While I agree with releasing all these players, the time has come, I hope we move on with younger faster players. We should not overpay for other teams scrubs. I rather take a chance on highly thought of college players.

I do believe Eric Smith desearves a little more credit. He was slow at times BUT he played through pain to help the team. A 100% healthy Smith would have been a huge asset.

14. By Carl on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Don’t let the Pats sign Ed Reed! Go Faster Jets!!

15. By Carl on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Hey remember, Speed Kills! Go Faster Jets!

16. By harry-o on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

i believe these cuts the jets are right at the cap.
    still more trimming is needed
    but so far so good

17. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

This is the kind of FA stuff we DON’T need, scjoe. From Cimini: “To sign Pace, they outlasted Bill Parcells and the Miami Dolphins in a bidding war. They practically threw themselves at Scott, showing up on his doorstep at midnight for the first minute of free agency. As a result, they overpaid for both, throwing crazy money at a couple of average to solid football players. The two LBs walk away from owner Woody Johnson’s mint having collected about $30 million apiece. What did the Jets get in return? Pace and Scott combined for zero Pro Bowls and zero championships. ” Actually, almost all teams that win do it mostly thru the draft, scjoe, not just 1 or 2. And when you’re rebuilding for real like we are, FA’s mean even less.

18. By Terry o on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Bart goes and Mark stays? Who’s in chage here?

19. By Charliejet on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

I have no idea, as do the sports writers (Blinka?) but I know at the very least, Idzik
    has got to be sending out feelers for Revis. I love that the Jets are going about their business with no fanfare, surprise moves etc. doing what needs to be done.

20. By IRA on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

No surprises and if Pouha doesn’t restructure he will be next. I was sorry to see Baker waived if he is healthy I would not be surprised if he is back. Out of the 5 that were let go Pace was the most disappointing to me. I thought after he seemed to come into his own in a 3-4 with the Cards I thought he wouLd be a very good pass rusher. Well it did not play out that way and the trade of Big Abe to this day still haunts them. Since that trade they have never had another player that can wreck a game and get to the QB on a consistent level and make DC’s gameplan for that. Maybe they will find one in this years draft. If not I would trade a lot to get Clowney next April.
    Hope they can resign Keller but I think his price will be too much!

21. By scjoe on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Looking at Cimini’s piece re: the depth chart on ESPN NY, it would be easy to panic. But lets remember, aside from Revis (who is still under contract) most of the rest are easily replaceable. That is because most or on the offense. The biggest key is to obtain as many draft picks as possible, either by trade, or by trading down. As far as I know the Jets have NO compensatory picks (as usual) so that is a deterrent. Randy, can you confirm that at this point?

22. By Randy Lange on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, we won’t know about compensatory picks for another month. The NFL announces them each year in late March.

23. By Byrdman on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Jason Smith, he’s a superb athlete for his size. Wonder if the Jets simply cut his “contract” hoping to bring the “player” back as a utility O lineman.
    Baker’s injury did him in, he’s a better TE than Jeff Stumblebum by far.
    That position need a serious infusion of size and speed!
    Hoping Marty is able to convince the front office to build a fleet of 4 TE’s that block and can make plays down the field.

24. By aerosmith on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

i loved eric smith too EXCEPT that one game that cost us the play-offs when tebow was on broncos he had tebow in his own end0zone,(had his arms on him and he got away,but overall hes a really great player,would like to see him come back but i doubt it;i think the money they were due will be A PART of darelle revivses pay-check;but overall to ME NO PLAYER in ANY SPORT is worth 100 million,and I LOVE REVIS,PAY-UP

25. By Steve Parker on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

This is all fine and dandy, but Salary Cap for what. The only thing we need to be doing is getting rid of Sanchez. Again no offense, but he just buckles under pressure, and will never help the Jets win a Superbowl. So you cut losses. I get the cuts, I’m just not sure why they are not making about 5 to 10 more. including 1 or 2 of the QB’s, and the 12 WR’s they have. It’s pretty easy to say Holmes should stay. Kerley is a nice option as well. Hill will come into his own, and I would keep Gates and Edwards as well. So dump the other 2 active WR’s. Dump the 2 extra or dump all 4 and start over. Kepper is a good TE don’t get me wrong, but you need a bruizer TE in the mix to make it all work. Powell, Greene, and McKnight. Ran out of room.

26. By uncle joe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

64 Tom, I’m with you on Keller although I don’t even want him back for less money. He is a short slow receiver with not so great hands.

27. By uncle joe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Revis to the Eagles for Nick Foles, and Crow’s cousin,DRC to replace him. Or Revis to Vikes for Harvin and get Matt Moore.

28. By uncle joe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Draft guards in the first AND second rounds. The last 2 drafts netted us a great young front three, now it’s time, in a draft loaded with O linemen, to upgrade the O-line. No matter what is trending in this copy cat league, since the game began it has been won in the trenches.

29. By uncle joe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I think it was DISGUSTING of Revis to say he is the best player on the team. He MIGHT be,although Wilkerson,Crow and Mangold are right there, but no reason as a supposed leader to say this. I don’t ever remember a Ray Lewis,Suggs,Reed or Brady,Manning Brees saying anything like that,,,just saying. No reason for it.

30. By Jack on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know why LB, Bryan Thomas wasn’t let go too he 33 his time have come as well. Can’t wait to see what LB, Demario Davis can do as a fulltime starter. I have a good feeling he going to be pretty good like David Harris first got here. TE, Keller I believe time have come I think he’ll be playing else where With that I’m hoping that the Jets will go out and signed TE, Delanie Walker or get lucky that either TE, Zach Ertz or Tyler Eifert falls into the 2nd Rds.

31. By Jets32 on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

The Jets freed up some cap, now its time to get to the real question at hand, What to do at QB and Sanchez? I say, trade Revis to the Lions for Matt Stafford and a 2nd round pick. Get Anthony Spencer LB from the Cowboys. Re-sign LaRon Landry. Trade Santonio Holmes and a 2nd round pick to the Giants for Victor Cruz. Then the Jets need to trade away Sanchez and Tebow for draft picks. Hopefully, a team that would want interest in Sanchez could agree to pick up about 1/2 of his salary.

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Wow, uncle joe, you and I are totally in agreement today. I love everything you say in all of these posts except maybe the part about Harvin. I love him as a player but these migraines just seen to haunt him.

33. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

As for Victor Cruz, not going to happen. As for some good draft prospects we have a very good shot at getting some good young players. As for MS I do not see any team jumping on the MS bandwagon. As for TT maybe a trade for a second or third rounder. As for RR can we trade a HC? As for free agency, the front office must be smart and stay away from age and rejects which over the years they could not do. As for Revis, I have been against trading him, but will reconsider if they trade smart for two first round draft pic’s and a second rounder. He is worth more then that. I agree with all based on the salary cap, we needed to do that.

34. By walt on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I have to admit the New york Jets have succeeding in ruining my offseason so far by releasing one of my favorite players Eric Smith and failing to sign Chad Kackert.Eric Smith was due to make about three Million this year one sixth the salary the Jets are about to pay a certain cry baby cornerback this year.I was really looking forward to seeing if Chad could be another Chrebet with speed.He has run a 4.31 forty.He would have cost a mere fraction of the seven and a half million dollars the Jets are about to pay a certain underwhelming tight end a year.The Jets have been crying they need explosiveness at running back and Chad just may have provided that.Different people in charge same results big disappointment.

35. By walt on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I do not not know why everyone is making a big issue about Bart Scot being 33.No one seemed to make a big issue about when theJets signed a certain 38 year old linebacker from Miami who incidently played quite well for us and went back a played another season with Miami at 39.People should take note that Scott hoppled by a serious injury still managed to keep the so called wonder kid Demario Thomas firmly on the bench.

36. By uncle joe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

64 Tom, I read that Harvin has solved the migrain prob with some sleep apnia something. He too is in the last year of his contract but we would be able to TAG him next year. Revis will not get us to the playoffs,much less the SuperBowl this year and next year we will lose him without any compensation so get what you can now.

37. By uncle joe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

ByrdMan, I’ve been screaming for TEs for years now. This year’s draft I’m loving the later round TEs. This Levine Toilolo a 6’8″ basketball player with great hands. He prob will go in the 3rd round. Imagine Cumberland and Toilolo both 6’8″ in the RedZone together! Also love Lutchinkirchen and Stoneburner.

38. By uncle joe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I’m old school, give me a great O-line and some giant TEs and no defense can stop you,I don’t care who your QB is, both are a QBs best friend. WRs and RBs are a dime a dozen. And I DO NOT WANT Delaney Walkker,he is only like 6 feet tall.

39. By uncle joe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Fortunately for the Jets this year’s Free Agency and Draft are loaded with O-Linemen, it should be their main focus.

40. By Paul N on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

BYE, BYE :) Pace should have been gone two yrs ago, Scott before last season. Two examples of the Jets overpaying for Rex’s cronies! Can’t we trade Rex for a draft pick?? Eric Smith was a miss in the draft 3rd round special teams player?? Jason Smith was a no brainer…cap considerations from his signing. Glad to see us unload the dead weight, but these moves didn’t take a rocket scientist. Idzik still has a long way to go, let’s see if he can work us out of this mess!

41. By Paul N on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I know its a radical idea and many don’t like it here in Jet Nation, but Revis must be traded now! His remarks set the tone for negotiations, and the Jets can’t afford to let him walk. Get as much as you can out of trading Revis, and Tebow, shop Sanchez(maybe a sucker out there). Stockpile as many draft picks!! Might even consider trading down from 9th pick, we have a ton of holes to fill!!!

42. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

What I want to see from this team is leadership on both sides of the ball. You ever notice in Hockey the players always say “we”? they don’t point fingers they take accountability as a whole. And no one is above the team. Even if the captain is playing lousy he will be benched a shift or two. This is what should have happened when Sanchez was clearly making mistake after mistake. So Rex/Sanchez can hold hands on the sidelines because both are gone in 2014. Then the I-man can really put his “Mark” on this team but getting a headcoach who can lead men..and a QB that can lead this team to a Superbowl.

43. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

walt, the Jets will not be paying that crybaby CB or any other CB that kind of money and a yr from now Rex will not be around with his “Let’s carry 14 DBs and no offensive playmakers” nonsense. As for Smith, what did you find so wonderful about watching him fail to cover even the weakest WRs and TEs in the league? The guy never became a legit option as a starter and goes down in the books as just another everyday player that Rex thought he could talk into greatness. Rex will never be able to talk himself or this team into even adequacy, and talk is all he knows how to do.

44. By GaryC on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

ronbo19,watch Arthur Brown during the combine,this is a linebacker who will blow up the combine,played under Snyder at Kansas State,recruited by Miami and you will get him as a second rounder,depending on Jet deals he could be your speed backer after all the other jet problems are addressed.

45. By GaryC on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

can I dream and come away from draft with,Patterson,Warmack,Ertz and Arthur Brown,trade those malcontents for picks,Idzik.

46. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know why all the frenzy about E.Smith. He was a good special teams guy. But as a Saftey or free safety? not in my book. He made alot of mental errors playing safety..he’s too slow to cover WR and not strong enough to handle TE’s. He was a team guy though. But I’m not losing any sleep over his departure. We have to let the young bucks play Bush/Allen and see what they got. Just hope we don’t go out there and get an aging star with nothing left in the tank as usual.

47. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

This is a post from a guy on ESPN with which I couldn’t agree more: “I’ve never seen a coach so delusional. He [Rex, of course] actually referenced Sanchez’s QB rating after the butt fumble game, much of the rating being bloated because NE blew out the Jets and played a prevent for the entire 4th qtr. Now you have Revis telling his owner he “wants answers”? My god. Every player on the Jets wants it to be about them. They could care less what it takes to win it all. They’re not willing to make the sacrifices. They want to see their name in a headline. That’s it.” And this is why it’s great that Idzik isn’t talking, isn’t apologizing to Revis, but just taking action. The right action, that is, cutting Rex’s overpriced, underperforming faves.

48. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

uncle joe, I hope you’re right about Harvin and I know you’re right about getting something for Revis but I’d still rather get a #1 and a #3 for him and I strongly suspect that teams like SF, TB, GB, or NO might well go for that. Allan, I like your bit about Rex and Sanchez holding hands because quite seriously — let’s see if Randy can get with this — what profoundly offends me about Rex as a HC is his relentless sense of self-importance and the way he uses his job and his visibility in NY for his own personal pleasure. It’s absolutely the last thing a real HC does and it’s the opposite of any kind of responsible, much less winning, use of the position. I’m constantly amazed that many Jet fans either don’t see this or don’t care about it.

49. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

64Tom, You and I have been saying that for a long..long…time. but some fans are so taken with Rex’s bravado they don’t see that’s all a mask for his lack of headcoaching skills. People forget that when the Ravens won Rex was the D-line coach..it was Marvin Lewis coaching that D-Unit. When he left and Rex took over did they win that year? NOPE… Now…I’m not saying Rex is not a good D-Coord. He is. But he delagates too much. All the Asst.Coaches/Coord. jumped ship because they knew Rex is just too stubborn in his ways. And by him sticking with Sanchez even though his team needed a change at QB he lost the respect of some the players in the lockeroom

50. By Frank on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

No surprises here. Ira as you know I never liked the Pace signing he was a liability in the passing game and never materialized as a pass rusher. Thomas was better than him and underated.
    I have been saying we need to trade Revis since last year. Personally I am tired of his antics and selfishness and clearly he is a huge health risk and his salary demands are insane no one except a franchise QB is worth the money. Unloading Revis is the single most important move this organization will have to make this offseason both from a salary cap point of view and in getting the right value for him. I still love the Alex Smith plus a draft pick scenerio the best. Unlike the rest of ya’ll we do need to resign Keller he will thrive in the west coast O.

51. By scjoe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Uncle Joe, with all due respect, you say a great O line can not be stopped by any defense? I understand the importance of a strong O Line, BUT, statistically speaking, the NY Jets had the #3 overall O line in the league, and they were stopped cold, most times out. QB play?

52. By Byrdman on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

uncle joe – The Raven TE’s impressed me in the SB, the Niners clearly had no answer for Pita and Dickson. I’m not familiar with the basketball player but it reminds me of when Lebron James was talking about playing TE in the NFL. It’s an intriguing concept and a 6’8″+ receiver that can run represents a match-up nightmare. Who covers him, a 5’11” safety ? NO WAY
    A little confused about your description of Cumberland as (both 6’8″) the Jets list Jeff Cumberland (I call him Stumblebum) at 6’4″ He never struck me as anything more than an Emergency TE, to be used only when your #1 and #2 TE’s drop over DEAD :)

53. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Whatever E Smith’s other good qualities, Allan, this quote from your post —

— says it all.

54. By Westcoast GangGreen on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Let the rebuilding begin..

55. By kleckofan on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

On a few things… Randy, nice job legitimately using the term “toe-jam” in an article that’s not about Rex, difficult to do.
    I never liked E. Smith and I think Randy referenced his Master’s degree just to preempt my continuous references to his boneheadedness. The Tebow play was about a mental mistake, not a physical inability; “contain” was his responsibility on that blitz. Good riddance. If he and Jim Leonard were defensive QB’s I think the lyric that best describes them is Little Feat’s “your mind makes a promise that your body can’t keep…”
    To me, these cuts represent second class versions of past teammates that Rex overrated: Pace for Ware, Scott for Suggs/Lewis. Rex couldn’t get the real deal so we got the cheap copy.

56. By Byrdman on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Walt – I think I can speak for guys here that aren’t shedding any tears over Scott being cut. It’s not Simply his age, there are dozens of 33 LB’s in the NFL still playing at a high level. Scott has been slowly deteriorating over the last 3 years, and everyone saw the play vs NE where Brady figured out Scott was assigned to the RB. He motioned the back to line up wide, threw a screen pass which the kid took 60 yards. Scott looked like Oprah Winfrey trying to chase down Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France for an interview. The 4 Jet starting LB’s in 2012 were the slowest group in the NFL – I’m a little worried about Harris, WHERE was he all year? Pace, Scott and Thomas are done as starters, somebody might pick up one of them for depth

57. By Jack on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Don’t know why you all sore about Eric Smith being cut I never thought he was that good of a Safely. I would love to see the Jets go out and get S, Jarius Byrd. As far as TE, Delanie Walker may be only 6′ foot and 246lbs but he a pertty good TE, But I do rather get a TE, from the drafts Zach Ertz or TE, Tyler Eifert would be a great pick. I would love to see the Jets get OLB, Jarvis Jones with the 1st pick I do like OG, Chance Warmack as well but if the Jets can so how get RT, Andre Smith they won’t need to get Warmack.

58. By scjoe on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

64, I would be willing to bet that if you did the research you would find that there is no more then a 10% to 15% discrepancy on ALL NFL rosters each year re: FAs and UFAs. Not that much of a discrepancy worth talking about. That is the nature of the business. If you want to say that “winning” teams build “mostly” through the draft, I would counter with the NE Patriots. It don’t get to much better then that, yet they are always the first in line when free agency begins every year. What it all narrows down to is the decision making on personnel matters, not the strategy. You can be successful either way, you can be unsuccessful either way. There are no guarantees “building through the draft” gets you a championship. It hasn’t for many teams for many years.

59. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Kleckofan, I said it from day 1. Rex went to the wrong door at midnight in 2009. The Mailbox should have said “LEWIS”. Even 3 years ago Lewis still made an impact. His leadership alone would have had an impact in that lockeroom. I always wondered what a Lewis/Harris tadem could have been.
    Byrdman that’s why we need speed. Harris I believe has at least 2 more years in him..but we need to find his replacement as well in the draft. Pace/Scott/Thomas..old..overrated and slow. If we would have just taken a chance on Vontaze B. who went undrafted by the way, I believe he would have made a great duo with Davis.

60. By walt on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman if you think Scott is that bad why would you think that Demario Thomas is the answer since as hoppled by as serious an injury as Bart was a healthy Thomas still could not supplant him.If Scott is that bad then we are in serious trouble because Thomas is not the answer.I do not know why people do not consider injuries when considering a players performance.Everyone was raving about Scotts play before the injury how he had lost weight and was very quick.A lot of people remarked how they could not believe that Bart was playing with the injury he had.Really I am just repeating Remarks other prople have made.

61. By Tom Spicer on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

The Jets are now going to try to restructure Pouha or he is going to get cut. They are also going to try to trade Tebow or he is going to get cut as well. The cutting of these 2 guys will save another $2,500,000 off the cap.

62. By Jack on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I thought they should have never given Pouha that new deal and that they should had traded him or cut him back then. I hope they did cut because I like Kenrick better anyway I want him to be the starter.

63. By walt on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I do not pretend to be an expert on Eric Smith.I do know that he ran a 4.56 40 coming out of college which should be more than adequte to run stride for stride with just about any tight end.That he is a very good special team player and a good tackler.I can not comment on his play recognition injury problems.etc.I am also not advocating we pay him 3 million a year with our cap situation.1.5 million is more like it.What I am saying is you also do not pay Revis 18 million a year which I know the Jets will or 7.5 million dollars a year to a ordinary tight end like Keller which I know the Jets will.With all the very good tight ends in the draft and free agency why.This same team Could not sign for very little money a Prospect like Chad Kackert

64. By GaryC on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,the leftover meal is never as good as the first,same for football,the draft is the main course,and the free agents are the leftovers,filling the void what the draft leaves behind.

65. By Karan on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo19, C’mon, I NEVER lobbyed to bring Greene back. Not once did I say that, I’m for drafting a RB, getting Mendenhall or Ivory.

66. By Karan on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I hope the Jets can re-sign Jason Smith for a much much cheaper contract. He provides depth for the O-Line, something the Jets need. I liked Eric Smith but of course agree that he had to be released. He’s a really good back-up, hard-hitter and special teamer, but overall, won’t miss him on this team.

67. By IRA on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Frank,
    I have gone back and forth will Keller and I agree they need to bring him back if Taney can reach a deal. I think the Bears will pay him more but just maybe something like a 4 year deal for say 4 per with about 8 guaranteed.would keep him here.
    Tom, If Idzik can get anything for Tebow he should get the executive of the year award. He will either end up with the Pats if he wants to be an all around player or just maybe with the Bears as a backup. If he really wants to pursue his QB dreams he needs to play a few seasons in the CFL to work on his skills.

68. By BillsJets on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Never fails, just like a New York team, always let the wrong guys go. Bart (Can’t Wait) Scott, Calvin (In on every tackle) Pace, Eric (Great on special teams) Smith, and Josh (thrown under the bus by Rex) Baker, you all will be missed. Now how do we get rid of Sanchez.

69. By Mike Jet Vet on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

get rid of Pouha, any person complaining about Pace, Scott, Smith, Thomas, Keller should understand Pouha gone is a no brainer … Next Package Revis, Sanchez,Holmes, Keller, McKnight, for maybe >>Wide Outs, RBs , TE’s Edge Rusher’s , OLB, or use some imagination with trades and or moves ….. in my opinion

70. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

There is a possibility that Eric Ficsher could be available at the #9 spot and if he is the front office should gran him. If not and Barkevious Mango or Jarvis Jones is available we should grab one of them. As for TE’s I feel Zack Ertz or Tyler Elfert would not be out of reach in the second round. It seems that a Revis trade is going to happen if so we could have another first round pick and a second and third round pick for him. As for TT if we are lucky we will get a second round pick for him. MS is a loser and will always be a loser but it looks like he will be around next year in what capacity none of us know. We have a chance to rebuild and get some young players. “SO LETS DO IT”.

71. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

Yes, Allan, Jet fans who can see behind the mask of Rex deal better with reality — for instance, they don’t think trading Revis, who’ll be about 30 before we’re seriously competitive again — is the end of the world. scjoe, it’s obviously a big discussion but as a generalization I’ll say this: The top teams consistently build the core of their teams thru the draft and pick up FA’s here or there, not the other way around. And yes, the other way around has worked once or twice or come close to working a few more times than that. Typically for the Jets, Mr T did the worst of both worlds, trading away draft picks like they were worthless but also, for the most part, signing the wrong FA’s. Let’s start all over with Idzik and the draft.

72. By ivesufferedso long on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

hopefully this gm and his people are better at drafting players then the last guy or the guy before him.revis needs to definitely be traded. hes a cancer to the organization. ray lewis would never have left baltimore to follow rex ryan. do u think we will resign landry and bell. what about a trade of revis for alex smith and a draft pick

73. By Another Tom on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

trade Revis to the Bengals for Burfict and Gresham..Draft OL in Round 1..and just say no to expensive FA s…they become complacent

74. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Guys check this link out. It’s about a RB out of StonyBrook. Miguel Maysonet. He maybe the gem the NYJ can grab in later rounds. If Lattimore is taken of the board. After watching the twitter war between revis/sherman, revis should be mindful that he has had problems covering smaller faster wr’s. Stevie Johnson always gave revis fits so did wes welker. So there is a weakness to superman.

75. By Karan on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Hope the Jets can find suitable traders for Tebow at the combine, don’t know if it will be possible though.

76. By uncle joe on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, I don’t know what statistics you are refering to but if they say that our O line was ranked #3, it is possible you are reading it backwards! The CHARGES sacked our QB what eleven times!!!

77. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Karan..the NYJ totally destroyed Tebowmania. I was not keen on his QB skills. But what I did like about the kid was his guts..his will to win. He’s a football player. Rex/Mike T/Sparano ruined this kid. Putting him in at the worst times. Not leaving him inside the 10yrd line so he can do what he does best. I just didn’t want him throwing the ball. It literally hurts to watch him throw the football. But the NYJ might get a 4th or 5th round pick to a team that can use his skill set. (Which is not many) He would be better off being a Halfback/TE.

78. By Allan O'Dane on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Another Tom, Burfict is not going anywhere. Rey M. is slowing down and it looks like Burfict is going to be the next man up. All along I kept saying ‘NYJ gotta get this kid..take a chance he’s like a young ray lewis” and he went undrafted. Thanks Mr.Tannebaum,,,

79. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for a Sane NFL on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

walt, there’s fast in the 40, fast on the actual field, and — most important for DBs — fast in coverage. Smith was slower than molasses on the last two. Jack and MJV, I’ve been reminding Ira how ridiculous it was that we signed Pouha to anything but a 1-yr deal, much less to such a rich one, last yr. Though Keller’s obviously much younger, if we sign him to more than 1 yr for cheap money, I’ll be saying the same thing in about 2 yrs when he’s revealed to be an average career player and someone we drafted too high to begin with. I think you’ll see, ivesuffered…, that contrary to the way Mr T threw $ and contract extensions at players, you’ll also see less trading up and picking high for average prospects under Idzik.

80. By Paul N on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Just trade em all and start over! I did notice they deleted my post about the PSL’s being refunded to do right by the fans. I’m left wondering why. I guess this one will get lost as well! lol

81. By Randy Lange on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Paul N, we received one comment from you recently mentioning PSLs, which came in Dec. 18 at the end of the Josh Bush Special Teams Saturday blog. It went live that day, hasn’t been deleted or moved since, and is still there at the end of that blog. If you sent another comment about PSLs since then, I haven’t seen it.

82. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Uncle Joe, the 3rd overall rating is factual, I am sure someone here will verify it because it was floating around the radar for a long time and there were lots of conversation about it. As for those 11 sacks by SD? I would put more then half of them on McElroy’s inexperience.

83. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, The draft is the main course and the FAs are the leftovers? Original! But when have I ever said it should work in reverse? All I have EVER said is you sign FAs that are right for your team. Those that fill needs. Those that can upgrade a spot. Those that make sense. You can not totally rule out free agency, no team does! NONE! Build ENTIRELY through the draft?? Not with a maximum of 7 draft picks a year. Not with more then half of them not even making the roster. Not with NONE emerging as starters in the first half of the season. (except by default) Not when you have multiple 1st and 2nd round busts. How is that for “building through the draft?” And I will stand by all of that. Can you?

84. By Byrdman on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Walt – The first thing you have to remember about the NFL is: It’s a business! There’s only so much money (salary cap) to pay your 53 man roster. Second thing to consider: It’s a Young Mans Game, the average NFL career is about 4.5 years. Third: and this is probably the hardest thing for Jet fans to come to grips with – That 09/10 playoff team we had is GONE! That window closed, many of the key players are retired, playing for other teams or, as in Bart Scott’s case, just not the player he was 3 years ago. I don’t hate Scott, the Jets would be wise to bring him back at minimum wage as sort of a player/coach. Demario Davis was a ROOKIE struggling to learn Rex’s complex D – Rex is notoriously (dangerously) loyal to guys like Scott. Get it?

85. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, What does Drew Brees Peyton Manning, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Justin Smith, Arian Foster, Julius Peppers, Reggie Bush, Marshawn Lynch (among others) all have in common? Gee!! All went from “leftovers” to a gourmet main course. What were those teams thinking about? I suspect that no one ever told them “you build through the draft”

86. By Byrdman on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Walt – I live in michigan , I watch every UM and Mich State football game. Nobody is a bigger Eric Smith fan than me! He’s a classic niche player and the Jets don’t have the luxury of overpaying him. I can’t help but wonder if that BIG hit he put on Anquan Boldin that knocked both of em out – still effects his play?
    Before that ESPN highlight blast – the guy was flying all over the field using his head, taking good angles on tackles and BOOM laying the big-time hits. I just don’t see that now. Everybody saw Tebow score on that ridiculous 98 yard drive – the nail in our coffin was Smiths horrible missed tackle. If Eric takes a better angle that games over, we win and, I’m guessing Tanny/Rex/Woody don’t fall in love with then trade for Tebow!

87. By Byrdman on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe – the chart I looked at the other day (can’t find it right now) placed NE near the middle in regards to how many FA’s they acquired over a 6 year time frame. That surprised me I thought they’d rank somewhere closer to the fewest FA’s. The big names like Randy Moss and Wes Welker get the ESPN headlines, but BB targets a player to fill a niche when their draft picks don’t work out.
    Jets under Tanny were starting to look like the east coast version of the Raiders – the formula: Make a copy of the FA list every year, use it like its the blueprint for a SB team- Then trade away all those stupid draft picks (who needs em?) for the apple of your eye, like a 13 year old girl fawning over a Justin Beiber poster. OH EM GEE :D

88. By ronbo on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

The Gang at RANDY’s RADAR
    As I am now proclaiming myself THE BEST poster on Randy’s Radar I’m also announcing I’m gonna be really ticked off if Randy doesn’t contact me personally about any posts that didpute my greatness! Oh, did I hit a nerve here anyone? Obviously I’m jokeing but trying to make a point of how bodaishous Revis sounds proclaiming himself the best player on the team.(even if it is true?) Gotta find a less obnoxious way to express your feelings Darelle

89. By ronbo on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

National mulligan day here on Randy’s Radar?
    O.K dudes, some of you guys either need to re-think some of your comments here today, or you need some reality training(BADLY!)Lets start with you Aerosmith;Your defending Eric Smith? Walt, you too? Come on dudes, your kidding right?Other than the fact he is slow, hasn’t hit anyone in like 3 years & couldn’t cover an ant with a table cloth what exactly is it about him you like?And dont tell me he goes to church on Sunday’s? cont.

90. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for the Draft on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

No, scjoe, I’d put more than half of those sacks on Rex telling McElroy for the whole week before the SD game, “Don’t throw a stupid pick like Sanchez…don’t throw a stupid pick like Sanchez…”

91. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

This is going to be a very interesting 2 weeks to see who the JET’S front office targets during the combine. I am hoping that REX has “NO” say so in the draft, but we know that is not going to happen.Allan I also like this kid Miguel Maysonet out of StoneyBrook. Very impressive statistics.

92. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for the Draft on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, Byrdman’s got you dead to rights on the NE/Jets FA comparison. Besides, most of the FA’s you list, and the most successful and impactual ones that you list, are big-time offensive players, QBs, WRs, and RBs. Well, sure, we’d go for one of those kinds of guys if we were close and could afford them but we’re not and can’t. So we’re much better off drafting and grooming our own guys. Every one of those guys was drafted and groomed by somebody and in some cases unwisely traded, like Brees who those of us who know QB play saw coming into his own big-time. And by the way, I said we should go after Lynch even before he said he was interested in the Jets back when he was still on BUF. And I was right.

93. By GaryC on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Scjjoe,that list of yours were guys who FIRST WERE HIGH PICKS,except for Foster before THEY BECAME FA’S,history says hit with your picks and you don’t need as many hired guns,per se.

94. By GaryC on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,you need to give up the Manning ghost,jets still aren’t signing him,just like the fans in Indy,they still wear his Jersey everywhere and we are always getting Broncos games here,people have to give up the ship when it leaves port.

95. By GaryC on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,your not JOE CAPPS in disguise.

96. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, the only point I have tried to make with free agency is that it takes a blend. If you listen to GaryC and 64 you would think I am in favor of going out and sign every other teams cast off’s every year. Generally speaking, when you look at a team that fails in free agency. they usually fail on draft day as well (Oak, Buffalo, Mike Tannenbaum) See where I am going? It’s not so much HOW you acquire them, it is WHAT you acquire. Give me a solid starter and an upgrade at any particular position through free agency over one of those Mike Tannenbaum 1st and 2nd round busts anytime.

97. By scjoe on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Karan, I will go out on a limb here and say that NO team will offer ANY draft pick for Tim Tebow. He will be released and “maybe” then someone will pick him up, otherwise, he will wind up in the CFL which may just be his best option.

98. By GaryC on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Guys,slow down with the Burfict admiration society,he was on good behavior and kept his nose clean for one year,let’s see how long it lasts,past history is a look at future history with these players of today,Stallworth,Pac man Jones,just too name a couple.

99. By scjoe on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

You guys (GaryC, 64) have to be kidding me right? First Gary, you have to get off of that “obsession with Peyton” analogy. I am obsessed with no one! What I am doing is making a point that there are teams out there who go from average to successful with free agent accusations. I listed a bunch, they are undeniable! I don’t care what round they were originally drafted in, they-were-free-agents!!!!
    64, Exactly how does Byrdman “have me” on the NE and NYJ FA comparisons? Byrdman wrote in a recent post that even he was surprised where NE ranked in the signing of FAs. Now, you said all those I mentioned were “offensive” players. SO???? Would you feel better if I make a new list with all defensive players? Because they are out there too.

100. By scjoe on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, “History says, if you hit with your picks you don’t need as many hired guns?” and what if you “don’t” hit with your picks? Do you fold up the tent and go home? Did the NO Saints do that? Or did they go out and sign an “elite” FA QB and go on to win the SB? Does that SB win have an asterisk after it? If the Jets had done that and won a SB would you jump ship because you are not in favor of signing ANY free agents? Just can’t have it both ways, and I am overly confident both of you guys are aware of that.

101. By Byrdman on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe – yeah I hear ya, I think we’ve drifted into a semantics thing. I’m not advocating no FA’s as in none, zero, zippo. And I wasn’t referring to the undrafted free agent walk-ons like Arian Foster. I absolutely LOVE those kind of players, Texas hit the jackpot with AF, and one of the Jets all time fan favorites was Wayne Chrebet.
    NE thought they were one Randy Moss away from another SB – he put up some amazing numbers.
    If Brett Favre’s arm didn’t fall off, I think we end up in the SB that year. Now its time to reload from the ground up with young, hungry kids that want to blow up the NFL highlight videos!

102. By GaryC on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,in today’s football of course you are going to sign free agents,football today prevents you even if you do the right thing,I.E. drafting and trading,keeping every player.You draft the core of your team and fill the holes with the FA’s,it would never work the other way around.

103. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for the Draft on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

No doubt Mr T was bad on the draft and far from great on FA’s, scjoe, I’ll give you that!

104. By ronbo on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

cont.- UNCLE JOE, If we draft 2 off.linemen with our first two picks it will set us back a year in our progression.o-line can be had anywhere in the draft and we need help at OLB(we zero on our current roster, T.E Keller is as good as gone, Safty, Landry is looking for a lot more than we can offer,R.B as we have no #1 baks in our stable, W.R. unless we bring back Braylon.And Ira, what is it about Keller you like so much?He’s really just a H-Back!

105. By scjoe on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, “in today’s NFL, of course you are going to sign free agents” a moderate turnaround, but a step in the right direction. Gary, that is all I have been trying to say. It worked out well for the N.O. Saints, it worked out pretty well for the 2012 Denver Broncos, it even worked out pretty well for the 2010 Minnesota Vikings with old man Favre. If you sign a few UFAs and they help you win a championship there will never be an asterisk after the W!

106. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for the Draft on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

I’m just saying what everyone else is, scjoe, which is that you can jump-start a lousy team a lot faster with a great QB than a great CB — as Rex and Revis are about to find out no later than once they’re no longer in Jetland.

107. By scjoe on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

64, you are probably right that you can jump start a lousy team much faster with a great QB then with a great CB. But where that great QB came from, and how he was accquired is the point that I have been trying to hammer home. Right Gary?

108. By scjoe on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Those potential top 10 candidates are dropping like flies, medically speaking. With Star Lotulelei now having that heart issue that makes at least 4 of the top 10 with some kind of medical issue. Directly or indirectly, it will have an effect on who the Jets select at #9.

109. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Them Changes on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Well, I agree with both you and GaryC about where you get the great QB, scjoe. You can pick one up as a FA but somebody usually has to wisely draft him first. I still maintain that those who know how to watch QB play could see that Brees was on the verge of greatness when SD decided he was injury-prone or too expensive or Rivers was gonna be better or whatever they were thinking. I liked Rivers but he seems to have run out of gas, while Brees is still great.

110. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Now rhat Steven Jackson was released by the RAMS and is available for the pickings this would be a great pick up through free agency for the JETS if they could afford him. They just might consider Revis if Revis becomes available. Already the Falcons are looking at Jackson among others. I also like Sam Baker, Dennis Rowland, Jesse Nading and Glover Quinn. However, money will be the factor for all free agents .

111. By scjoe on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Agree about Brees 64, I really don’t know what SD was thinking when they drafted Rivers. Brees was only in his 4th year back then. Although they had some great years with Rivers, they never won anything. It would have been interesting to see what “would have happened” had they stuck with Brees. One thing they may have factored in was Brees injury issues. He was hurt part of one year, and he was hurt when he became a FA as well. Anyway, back to my original point….Free agency CAN work!! It has worked. Dissect it any way you like. When done sensibly it works.

112. By scjoe on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

64Frank..I always liked Jackson, but I think there may be just a little to many miles on his motor, long term at least. I think Bush would be a nice pick up “if the price were right” I think he would be a great fit in the WCO. I like Baker too, but i’m certain he will be to pricy as well.