• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

Coordinators Talk About ‘Great Challenge’ Ahead

Posted by Randy Lange on March 7, 2013 – 1:12 pm

Today is Coordinators Thursday on newyorkjets.com, but not in the same sense that it was every Thursday during the season. This is the first day the Jets’ three new coordinators will speak publicly about their new gigs. My partner, Eric Allen, interviewed all three this week here at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center and those sitdowns will air this afternoon on Jets Talk Live and then will be archived

Each man — Marty Mornhinweg for the offense, Dennis Thurman for the defense, Ben Kotwica for the special teams — presents a different personality on air and in the building as they continue to work with their staffs while the players are still five weeks away from reporting back to the complex for the offseason strength and conditioning program.

Marty brings a light touch to his teaching, plus a modesty about his résumé that sounds as if it goes all the way back to his own background as a signalcaller.

“I’ll tell you what, I’ve been really fortunate, that’s first. I’ve coached some of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play this game,” he said. “Brett Favre was a great, great player. Of course, Steve Young in San Francisco, a first-ballot Hall of Famer. And then Donovan, that was one reason that Philadelphia at the time was so enticing, because Donovan McNabb was there. What a great quarterback he was. And Michael Vick in 2011 had just an astronomical year.”

Mornhinweg likes to refer mugs of joe when he’s talking about short-lived events. Even though he was with the Eagles for the last decade, he was aware of Favre’s “cup of coffee” with the Jets in ’08. And he described his own time playing for the legendary Mouse Davis in the Arena League as “half a cup of coffee.”

MM’s the only coordinator completely new to Rex Ryan’s staff. DT has been here with Ryan since ’09 and for six seasons coaching alongside Rex on the Ravens. He’s the kind of guy who has that football edge to him, like let’s stop screwing around and do it the right way, yet he also has that bit of playfulness to his persona.

“I’m outgoing, upbeat, love to have fun. But I also know the fun that comes with winning,” Thurman said, adding about his step up from the DBs room to running the entire defense: “I can’t change who I am. It’s just a matter of instead of having 11 or 12 guys, I’m now responsible for probably 30 guys. But it’s no different. Everybody has to do their job, they have to know their job, they have to understand their job, and then they have to go out and perform their job.”

Kotwica’s been with the Jets the longest of the trio, since Eric Mangini brought him out of the Army and on to the specialists under Mike Westhoff. He’s armed with the Westhoff experience plus his own straightforward sense of being able to command a football unit because of his military service as a decorated combat attack helicopter commander and training officer.

“I don’t go too far with the football-is-war approach, but there are parallels and carryovers. Even in the military, you are a coach,” the new Coach K said. “Mike and I are different guys, but first and foremost he was a great mentor to me, not only tactically with X’s and O’s but strategically. And he’s a great friend. I’m very grateful for what he’s taught me.”

It’s no surprise that each coordinator will bring a different approach and style to his unit, different from each other and different from the men they’ve succeeded. But all three will have one very similar guiding principle. They’re all involved in framing a new house on the existing foundation, and they all expressed enthusiasm for the hard work ahead.

“I love challenges,” Mornhinweg said. “This is a great challenge. That’s why I love doing what I do because I get to work with some of the great athletes in the world, really.”

“Leadership is something you either have or you don’t,” said Thurman. “I don’t think you can cultivate it or manufacture it. So we’ll let it play itself out. Yeah, we lost some veteran players, some experience, but some of the guys are going to have to step up and play. And they can be leaders in their own right.”

“Special teams isn’t a solo job. It’s a team effort, and we’re looking forward to it,” Kotwica said. “Things are going to be OK in 2013.”

Enjoy EA’s conversations with the threesome on Jets Talk Live in a few hours.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

135 Responses to “Coordinators Talk About ‘Great Challenge’ Ahead”

1. By Ronbo on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Well,if most football experts as well as many of us here on Randy’s Radar are correct its probably not a good idea to get to fond of any of these guys? Most feel Rex will be gone after this coming season and one would have to assume a new coach will bring in his own staff.I was amazed at how many hold-overs from Mangini’s staff Rex kept on? I’m trying to recall if the timing of Rex’s hireing prevented him from cleaning house but I recall he kept at least 5 on Mangini’s guys.Randy can you help me here? I know he kept Sutton,Westy & Kotwica but I dont recall the others.

2. By Randy Lange on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, from Eric Mangini’s 2008 staff, Rex Ryan in ’09 retained OC Brian Schottenheimer, DC Bob Sutton (who became senior defensive assistant/LBs), STC Mike Westhoff, assistant head coach/OL Bill Callahan, TEs/assistant OL coach Mike Devlin, ST coach Kevin O’Dea, quality control coaches Brian Smith and Mike Bloomgren, strength coach Sal Alosi, and Kotwica.

3. By IRA on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Really not worried at all about any of these guys. Kotwica has learned form the best so they can only get better coming off a bad year. Thurman has a lot of experience but don’t kid yourself with Rex’s job on the line he will be calling the D. MM to me is the most interesting one putting in a new system and it seems like he will try and rebuild Sanchez. Bottom line the coaches are in place now they have to get them some talent to coach.

4. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

RANDY, this is a great article and Marty Mornhinweg for the offense, Dennis Thurman for the defense, Ben Kotwica for the special teams Along with Idzik appear to want to go in the right direction. All know there hands are tied with the “salary cap” so the draft is our only option this year. Idzik made that quite clear. I am not sticking up for RR but I feel he may now realize what he did previously did not work. Good luck to them all…

5. By Ronbo on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

IRA, Like you and most Jet fans I will be rooting for these guys to succeed. The fact Rex retained so many coaches tells me he is not a details type of guy.Thats fine as neither am I.Fortunately I have a great wife who does sweat the details so i’m in good hands.Now, the question becomes, is Rex in good shape with his new staff? Other than M.M who has a proven trac record the others are unproven.To me it will be interesting to see how this all works out.believe me there is a HUGH difference between pos.coach to co-orinator.

6. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

MM isn’t here to rebuild Sanchez, Ira, he’s here to oversee the transition to a new QB which will take at least one yr and maybe 3. If MM has any success with whatever QB we start this yr, which won’t be Sanchez (he might start for a few games, but we won’t have any success with him), he makes the case for sticking around when the new HC comes next yr. Given the way we’re unloading and downscaling even the best players (Revis, Holmes, and others that some think are our best like Keller, Greene, and Landry), Idzik is clearly not making it easier for Rex to stick around past October. And if you don’t think Idzik is already thinking of who he wants at HC in 2014, you’re not thinking at all.

7. By kleckofan on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Agreed, Randy this is a good article. As mentioned the continuity on D and ST will be helpful. I said a few weeks ago that I thought our ST would suffer this yr with having a new Coordinator and many new faces to the program. We had our share of lapses last yr too.
    I feel for Marty, reading the names he’s coached then thinking about what he’ll have to work w this yr…yikes!
    As for next yr, if and when Rex is fired these guys should get a very fair (maybe preferential) shake at staying. The D should be top ten, Kotwicka has lots of time in, but will have new faces and MM will just be getting started. Why start over again next yr? But Ronbo is right about new coaches wanting “their guys”.

8. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Dig this from Cimini’s column just now, Byrdman: “It’s not a matter of if, it’s when,” one league source said of Revis’ departure.” And Ira, I recommend Greenberg’s column on this very site. It makes, with scorched-earth clarity, the point that we’re rebuilding for real all the way. So no, there’s going to be no major emphasis on salvaging Sanchez. I especially like Greenberg’s point that we’re likely to use the picks we have now for D and the picks we’ll get for Revis for O.

9. By Karan on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

MM!! Please help MS become a better player and help him regain his confidence!

10. By Ronbo on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

KARAN,you get picked on a little here because of your refusal to “just say no! to Sanchez.But the fact is we love you anyway.You are an important part of our little family here on Randy’s Radar.However, do you remember the old Dracula movies? Remember when the hero tries to fend of Drac with a cross saying,”BACK! BACK!? well that is how many of us feel when you talk about fixing Mark.KARAN, BACK! BACK! Sorry dude but he is like Humpty Dumpty, not even all the kings horses & all the kings men can fix Markie again!

11. By GaryC on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Why all the love for Thurmond,wasn’t this guy a secondary coach on some of the worst cowboy teams ever,at least with the jets he had Revis,far too much optimism with this guy as defensive coordinator.

12. By kleckofan on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

JFT 64- man, I sure hope you are right about Pretty Boy, I said I’d walk away if he was the starter again this yr! Just could not fathom it. It’s funny, some non-Jet fan on the ESPN NY blog commented that he would miss “the old three and out, hunched shoulders, shrug and walk off the field” if mark sits. Exactly!
    It makes no sense whatsoever to have Marty waste time w Sanchez. WCO requires athleticism and accuracy at QB. Not seeing it in #6. It’s actually kind of strange how non-athletic he is given his size and body type.
    We will either be grooming a vet to mentor the new kid in the sytem next yr, or we will be seeing how some lower round QB can do w low expectations placed on him.

13. By scjoe on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

I am right in line with most of the comments on this story. One thing I would like to add though, the “transition” for these new coordinators would be much easier with upgrades at the key positions to their respective units, such as QB for the new OC, pass rushing OLB for the new DC etc. Like I always like to say, “you are as good as the people you have working for you” In most cases anyway.

14. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Randy so true. MM is not here to salvage MS he is here to work on a new QB as well as the offense. 64 Tom, true just a matter of time before Revis is gone. The question is who has the most interest in him, so far its Cinci and the 49ers. The 49ers have more to offer in draft picks. GONNA BE INTERESTING over the next few weeks.

15. By IRA on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Tom,
    I believe MM got a 1 year deal so we will see how this plays out. If this year is not a positive year I believe there will be a major shakeup in the complete coaching staff. I wasn’t even convinced they would keep Sanchez but really if you look at the list of free agent QB’s if Sanchez can show some sort of consistency for at least 013 he will be the QB. Moore I believe will get more than the Jets want to spend and Dorsey and Idzik both know Flynn and right now it looks like both GM’s have no interest. That says a lot since they both worked with him.
    If the Jets don’t resign DeVito they are making a mistake not going after Branch from the Seahawks. He would be perfect at DT since Pouha has back issues ans Ellis can’t stay on the field.

16. By IRA on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Cimini has a nice list of potential free agents and I would like to see them get F Jones and a few others.
    Going back to Revis I will be very surprised if he is on the team after the draft.

17. By kw65Fan on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

LOLOL…Karan please about MS. He has regressed the last few years to the bottom of the barrel in 2012. His confidence is totally not there unless this off season he went to a super ‘shrink’ but change is not going to happen so fast. I wonder if he watches the NFL network cause the video of the infamous ‘butt fumble’ is shown on there like 10 times a day. Most embarrassing paly ever seen in NFL. The one of Alan page running the wrong way with a fumble recovery use to be the Best…but MS play will probably make NFL networks all time funniest Top 10. My 2 cents on draft is OLB first pick. If we get a second first rounder from Revis trade grab either N.D. or Stanford TE. Then Guard in second then a Tackle…Safety…RB…QB…WR

18. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Tom64 if your eyes are truly on the prize, I believe you might realize one day soon, when our new GM was brought in ; Rex would have been history along with T-Sparano, if he didn’t think Rex was the guy to get his new guys rolling . I’m not cheer leading for Rex.. Just saying why keep him if he’s wants him gone, with all our departures plus the addition of MM to me it doesn’t make sense to build with a coach your going to let go anyway. My scenario go’s like this New Air west coast Offense with MM, and Hard hitting hard core Defense with Rex. How’s That sound, are ya feeling it….

19. By IRA on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Tom, Right from the end of last year i said 013 will be a rebuilding year. Yeah i know thats a bad word in the NFL buts its the truth. Develop some young talent this year, add a few hold the fort type of players for a year and hope they are competitive. Anything more is gravy this year. If they are playing meaningful games in Dec i would be thrilled this year.
    GO JETS!!!!

20. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Randy, all this is well stated, documented,plus interesting reading , but I recall one very important defect when it came to conditioning last 2 seasons.. Would like some information pertaining to who will be over seeing the strength and conditioning of these guy’s in hopes of ending all our nagging injuries, we’ve had so many more last 2 seasons than I can remember, Players need to be on the field performing not nursing boo boo’s..

21. By Charliejet on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Well Matt Moore just re-signed with the Dolphins. There goes that option…

22. By Tom Spicer on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

“Darrelle Revis ran on a treadmill Thursday for the first time since tearing his left ACL in September.
    Revis is also working on change-of-direction drills and “on pace” to run outside in 4-6 weeks. Jets GM John Idzik recently called Revis “ahead of schedule.” He’s targeting 100 percent participation on the first day of training camp” If I were the Jets I would sedn a video of him running to all 32 teams.

23. By Tom Spicer on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

David Garrard, Chase Daniel, and Jason Campbell are the cream of the crop of whats left of the veteran free agent QB pool. I would liek the Jets to bring in 1 of these guys as well as drafting a rookie early in the draft.

24. By since shea on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

MM is an experienced OC. Sporano was not. Schotty was OK when the O Line and running game was there. We need O Line, including TE, and a pass rush this year. Next year is the QB from the draft. Lets be logical. This years draft is heavy with O Line and pass rushers. Next years draft has the QB’s. A smart two year game plan could make us relevant again.

25. By kleckofan on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

kw65- it was Jim Marshall not Allan Page
    MJV- Idzik did not have the opportunity to can Rex. The new GM was hired w the stipulation that Rex would be the coach. Idzik will make the change next yr. I don’t see Rex agreeing to stay as DC, too much ego. I don’t know that I would want him to stay; might cause locker room division i.e. Rex’s guys versus the new coaches guys.
    Karan- for some reason all of your posts are deleted on my monitor, so I can’t hear (read) you.

26. By JetsJerry on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I still think MS, who has had to struggle through the crap that has been dumped on him, will HAVE A GOOD YEAR in 013. He has survived: 1. changed OC’s, 2. the revolving door (Hunter) and sacks and injuries, 3. the left side of the line that BACKED UP and fell on him as he was sliding (he was TOLD to slide, to prevent injuries), 4. losing Braylon and Cotch, who had been good receivers having good chemistry with him, 5. losing ‘Tone for a season, 6. getting a guy just out of prison with weak ankles — which were quickly sprained in training camp because of lack of laps in his jail cell, 7. having to struggle with Mason, and 8. the drop by Hill which would have cemented the win over the Pats, and changed the whole season. GO in 013.

27. By Tom Spicer on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I read there is no chance Brandon Moore comes back we just cant afford him.

28. By Karan on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I appreciate the love, Ronbo. Its great we all get to express our opinions on the radar. But I do understand my beliefs on this Sanchez topic is different from many, but I’m honestly going to stick by it just for one more season though. I think if Marty M can’t fix Sanchez, nothing can.

29. By Tom Spicer on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

ESPN New York reports the Jets are “insisting” Santonio Holmes reduce his $11 million base salary.The sides are negotiating a reworked contract, but the Jets have typically little leverage since $7.5 million of Holmes’ salary is guaranteed. The only thing working in New York’s favor is that offset language prevents Holmes from earning more than $7.5 million in 2013 if he’s released. In other words, he can’t “double dip.” Perhaps the sides can agree on a $2-$3 million cut. If we can get him to agree to this it can go a long way towards siging our free agents. I also think we 100% have to cut Tebow & Pouha which will generate another $2,500,000 towards our free agnet money.

30. By Karan on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Right now my only question is…..why is Tebow still on this team??!!!

31. By scjoe on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Matt Moore gets a 2 year 8 Mil contract to stay in Miami as a b/u. Not a good omen for the NYJ

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Fox reports this mournfully when in fact it’s all great news: “Besides the imminent departure of Moore and other personnel decisions designed to overhaul the roster and fix a salary-cap mess, the Jets are seeking to trade star cornerback Darrelle Revis. Echoing prior media reports, a source told FOXSports.com that the Jets spoke with his team in hopes of trading Revis for a 2013 first-round pick and a mid-round pick in 2014 that could escalate into a higher round depending on play-time incentives.” A #1 this yr and a high pick next yr is fine with me, as this again goes to my point that the rebuilding that Idzik’s doing is a multi-yr process. More on that re Sanchez in a minute.

33. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Ira, MJV, Karan, Ronbo, scjoe and others who are concerned about Sanchez and Rex (and who isn’t?): Folks, what may be hard to grasp is that the era of “a few FA’s and we’re in the SB” is over. In a QB-weak draft, Idzik would be nuts to buy into any belief that he has to pick a starting QB this yr. The guy presumably got a 3-yr deal and if he’s half as smart as he seems so far, he’s gonna use it. He knows MS starting for part or all of the yr won’t rankle fans if they see true rebuilding going on by way of the loss of Revis, Moore, Keller, Greene, and many more. MJV, it’s Woody’s fault he let Mr T extend Rex and Sanchez’s deals but I can’t blame Woody that much for not wanting to pay Rex to not coach in a yr in which we’re not gonna compete.

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I’m glad Moore isn’t coming here, Charliejet, just like I was glad to see Smith go to KC and will be glad to see Flynn go somewhere else. Now that the rebuilding is clearly on — the extent of that rebuilding wasn’t as clear in the first days after Idzik was hired — yeah, MJV, I’ve got my eyes on the prize(s) and one of them is a real QB, drafted high who can become elite. (Oh no, I said that word that’s politically incorrect among some Jet fans when it comes to QBs!) If there isn’t a really promising QB on the board when we pick this yr, I’ll wait until next yr. I didn’t sit thru all this time since Chad, much less since the SB yr, to watch us make a half-hearted stab at rebuilding when we need the real thing.

35. By GaryC on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,Dwight Frye could never fend off Bela Lugosi saying back,back,that is why he had this intolerable liking to flies and later a madman.

36. By GaryC on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Ira,how long before we find out if Ellis is a beast,like we have been lead to believe,Branch isn’t coming in to be a role player,and you aren’t getting him for role player money,either.And why would he come to the jets if he is leaving a legit contender in the Seahawks.

37. By Byrdman on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Best line in this piece; ” We will probably be pretty young, developing the young, raw type of talented athletes” YEAH !! That’s the spirit Marty!

Hope that quote becomes the mantra for this team in the future.
    NO more Garage Sale FA’s – NO more Dumpster Diving for Diva’s

MM – will give this offense a whole new identity. The guy sounds excited to be out from under the (Godzilla size) shadow of Andy Reid – I’m guessing deep down he feels like he never got any credit for the Eagles Offense when it was hitting on all 12 super-charged cylinders.
    If he turns the Jets into a more dangerous offense… NOBODY is going to think
    “Yeah look how (Rex)has fixed his Little Engine That Couldn’t “

38. By Tom Spicer on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Jets tendered restricted free agent TE Jeff Cumberland at the original-round level. It comes with a $1.323 million price The Jets were considering a second-round tender, which would have cost $2.023 million Since Cumberland was undrafted, the Jets would receive no draft-pick compensation if he signed elsewhere and they chose not to match. Cumberland is unlikely to be pursued This is a example already of Idzik being smart MR.T would have giving him a 2nd round tender No team would give us a 2nd round pick for him & we would be paying him $2,023,000 now by doing what he did he saved us $700,000 towards our free agent money I know it doesnt seem like much but if you sit back & think about it that is almost enough money to sign Braylon 4 1 year

39. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

…and next yr, Karan, you’ll say that if the new HC can’t fix Sanchez, nothing can. What you and some other Jet fans can’t seem to grasp, and as Allan made clear with his pt about that ridiculous pick MS threw vs TEN, is that Sanchez’s DECISIONS are among the worst that any Jet QB has ever made. It’s not just about his inaccuracy, though that’s glaring. It’s not just about the lack of weapons around him, though that’s undeniable. It’s about his utter lack of feel and smarts for the QB position, which everyone around the NFL recognizes except for a few diehards on this site who don’t have the courage to embrace the future. In that sense, those folks are probably half my age in yrs but much older in their minds.

40. By Tom Spicer on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Matt Moore signing a 2 year $8,000,000 deal to be a backup means the Jets will not be bringing in real competition for Mark this year thru free agency we just dont have that kind of money. Now we REALLY have to draft a QB in the 1st 3 rounds!

41. By Ronbo on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, yeah,kind of like us trying to fend off Karan with the Sanchez stuff! Oh well. Tom64, S.C.Joe,Spicer, arent you at least a little curious why M.Moore would sign a 2yr deal with Miami knowing he will probably never see the field excepting pre-season? Granted it has been floated out there the Jets could only offer a 1 year deal for 2 million,but wouldn’t he have been better off at least competing for a starting posisition with the Jets? Kind of makes you wonder if he either thinks we are a complete joke or if he is not the competator many of us assumed he was? I’m sure that other 6 mill will be there for him next year either way so why not try to win a starting job?

42. By Tom Spicer on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Karan, I agree with 2 things you said 1 if Marty M cant fix Sanchez nobody can & 2 Get Tebow off this team today! I have said it before & I will say it again Cut Pouha & Tebow it will save us $2,500,000 towards our free agent money!

43. By Tom Spicer on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Gary C, I think Ellis should be the starting NT for the team this year. As a rookie he has no OTA’S, no minicamp, half a training camp & had to learn how to play a new postion NT. He hurt is ankle that year & missed a few games. In year 2 the coaches said he was by far the most improved player & if you remember Pouha was hurt & he started vs the other teams 1’s & did well everyone was raving about him. That year he hurt his knee & missed games. If he could just stay healthy I think he could be a player.

44. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Amazing all the talk about who is coming to the JETS and who is not coming to the JETS. I f we can get at least 5 players in the draft such as Jarvis Jones – OLB, DJ Fluker – OG, Zac Ertz – TE, Terron Armstead – OT, Kyle Long – OT this would be rebuilding a team. Most of these players should be available to the JETS in the second and third round of the draft. The JETS salary cap puts a damper on free agency no matter who we get rid of. The JETS should be able to come out of this draft with 8 solid players once they trade REVIS. AS for MS as much as I hate to admit it we are stuck with him and he just may start to my dismay. RONBO hit the nail on the head as well as 64Tom based on the JETS salary cap. The draft is our best option this

45. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

year. as for a QB not likely this year unless somehow, someway Tyler Wilson or E J Maunual are available…

46. By scjoe on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Ron, lets look at this from a “journeyman” QBs point of view rather then from a NYJ fans point of view. If you were given a deal, as a b/u QB for a cool 4 Mil a year and you know injuries being what they are in this league, you could possibly emerge as a starter in pre season, would you test free agency and sign somewhere for half that just to widen your chance to “compete” for the starting job? I am not saying he is right, or wrong, just that it is a pretty good decision in the grand scheme of things.

47. By scjoe on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, I don’t know, 1.5 mil for a b/u TE who can possibly emerge as a starter may be quite the bargin for many teams, and that 1.5 mil may just leave the Jets with no b/u TE AND no compensation. It is going to be interesting to see how that 700,000 plays out.

48. By JetsJerry on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

A lot of posters here can’t stand the thought of MS being the QB this year, and THEY were a probable cause of a lot of the downhill slide of MS. How many of you were at the games and booed, or called for Tebow, or blogged belittling comments (of course, some were deserved)?? Since he will be in there this year, why not give some cheers, and some love ?? Maybe ‘Tone will be on the field; Hill gets better on his catches; Braylon, Hazelton, Kerly, McKnight and the other WR’s have a little more practice time; Howard gets really good at protection on passes — wouldn’t help a bit ?? HOW ABOUT SOME CHEERS FOR THE HOME TEAM — WOULD THAT BE TOO HARD ?? iT WOULD GO A LONG WAY TO HELP SANCHEZ’ CONFIDENCE — HE WORKS HIS *** OFF.

49. By GaryC on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,vis a vis Ellis,I brought up Ellis because Ira brought up possibly bringing in Branch of the seahawks,I am all for handing the starting job to Ellis,about time to find out if he can play,do not know if we have another Dwayne Robertson on our hands.As for Branch I said he is not coming to the jets as a backup if at all,not if he is leaving the seahawks.

50. By JetsJerry on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

PS — Please remember that MS was the No. 1 High school player, that he won the Rose Bowl with 4 TD passes, that he won 4 away AFC Playoff games (more than any other NFL QB to that date), that there is no one on the immediate horizon who has the skills he has (you think some unavailable NFL QB, or one of the rookie QB’s in this draft could replace him immediately?) and that he can help any other QB that they might bring onto the team to get better over the long run. I believe that, with the WC offence (with his skills at handling fake handoffs, etc.) and familiar receivers, and a decent O Line, this team will do very well this year. Go JETS.

51. By since shea on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Hey JF64, I am in total agreement. You rattled off a TE, an OLB and 3 O Linemen for 5 picks in the draft this year. Thats the smart way to go about this year and NOT buying some other teams FA primadonna. We dont have the cap room to buy FA’s and we must stop looking for has beens aka the Mr T strategy. Forget QB this year. Garrard? He hasnt played in two years! The others are no better. Next years draft has our QB. Build the line this year the right way and half of us might be able to run through it. Lets not get too desperate for any old QB this year. Spend that money on blocking and pass rush. Think 2 year game plan!!!!

52. By Ronbo on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

SPICER,Surprise,Ssurprise!! I agree with you! I think your thought on Ellis are spot on.He did look great early on before he wrenched his knee. If we stay 3-4 he can be an excellent N.T! Harrison as a b/u leaves us in decent shape at that posisition.Did you see the comments from Philly fans regarding M.M on Bleacher report? I dont want to rain on M.M’s parade as I am optimistic about him too. But man, they hate him!

53. By Tom Spicer on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I was watching NFL 32 on ESPN & they said the Jets are interested in Amad Bradshaw.

54. By Tom Spicer on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I read how the Jets spent alot of time with Mike Glennon at the Senior Bowl & the combine. Also last night Ryan Nassib had his pro day & I read the Jets took him to dinner last night. I think 1 of these 2 guys could be on the Jets radar for rounds 2 or 3. Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

55. By Another Tom on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

When is Sanchez gonna step up and take a pay cut? He’s a big part of the reason that the Jets are in this mess…

56. By Charliejet on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Tom I agree with you on Moore, Flynn, and Smith. It’s just I’m sooo sick of the “Sanchez thing” Moore would have been a stop-gap player and after that a good back up (with Sanchez gone after 2013 season), we draft a QB from 2014. Like you, I am in no rush to pick a QB for the sake of picking and we are in for a what 3 year rebuilding period. Brick by brick my friend, brick by brick.

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, great analysis on the Cumberland move and how it shows, if even in a small-$ way, Idzik’s much smarter approach than Mr T’s. Ronbo, I’m sure Moore thinks we’re a joke and that the sentiment is shared around the league by all the quality FA’s, which is another reason we’re better off stockpiling picks and drafting for a few yrs without any real thought of FA’s. Byrdman, you’ve got it right about how MM will get the credit on O instead of Rex, not just with the FO but with the fans and the press. Rex has proven he’s clueless on O, can’t develop players on O, and sometimes doesn’t even seem to understand the need to score pts. This is the guy who when we won that ugly, pitiful JAX game 17-10 said, “It was a beautiful game.”

58. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Actually, Spicer, almost anybody is competition for Sanchez. If we bring just McElroy, Garrard, and Sanchez to camp, I’ll be shocked if the first two don’t fight for the starting job while “Mark” rides the pine.

59. By IRA on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Cumberland’s low tender means the Jets are going to sign a free agent TE. We will see if Keller is in that mix.
    Moore signed a 2 year deal for the money it always comes down to that. Lets see what Holmes does now after the Jets asked him to restructure?
    The competition for Sanchez is going to be weak. I would love to see them get Campbell but he will be near that 3 mill price and I don’t think the Jets are going to do that. Like many reporters have written if Kolb is cut I could see the Jets having interest because of MM.
    The Jets will sign some low priced free agents but like many of us said and Idzik did say it when he spoke the lifeline of this team will be through the draft. So i think they will be dealing on draft day to pu a few more picks.

60. By fred on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I envision a Jet team for 2013 that will remind many Jet fans on this site of those young 78-79 teams. Now I know that group has little to show for but they were exciting. So please no older free agents & I am sorry Ira but no to John Abe.

61. By scjoe on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

The statement of the decade comes from Marty Mornhinweg on his QBs “It is not about completion percentage, no! Absolutely not!” Are you kidding me???? Just when I was starting to get excited about what he can bring to this pathetic offense, he makes a ridicules statement like that. Marty, let me be the first to break it to you, ACCURACY MOST CERTAINLY DOES MATTER!!

62. By Rickie New York on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

With free agency just around the corner – there is only one thing Im waiting to read, the best news we could get: The JETS sign Safety Louis Delmas!!! That should be our number one, top priority. Next is re-signing Keller, hes just TOO GOOD to let go. I’d love to see em get Jarvis Jones in round1 to rush the passer. That said there are some GREAT ufa’s out there – here is my list of top players that would fit/help the Jets listed in order of importance: FS LOUIS DELMAS , RT Eric Winston, TE Jared Cook, TE Dustin Keller, SS P Chung, OLB S Phillips, WR Danny Amendola , SS Adrian Wilson, OLB Osi U , TE Fred Davis , RB Kevin Smith as 3rd down back , S Y Bell , OG B Moore, RT G Cherilus, OLB C Barwin, OLB P Kruger & LB D Smith.

63. By Rickie New York on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

If, god forbid, we do trade Revis – you can add A Talib, Sean Smith and C Williams from Balt to that list above. Even so – Delmas still my top UFA for Jets to target – cmon Mr Idzik – dont let us down!!!!!!!!! WE WANT DELMAS!!!!!!!!!!!

64. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

“SALARY CAP” and “FREE AGENCY”, all of the quality players going into FA want money that the “JETS” don’t have to spare. Even if MS came forward and requested a salary cut, which I would be all for due to his performance last year would not give us much leadway in free agency. To sign a player like Jarvis Jones in the first round will cost us adding to the salary cap woes of the “JETS”. RONBO, 64 TOM us 3 agree on this. But a Jarvis Jones would be worth grabbing. players like DJ Fluker – OG, Zac Ertz – TE, Terron Armstead – OT, Kyle Long – OT will be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. “REVIS” is now at a full work out and appears to be up grading his value as a trade. Another 1st round pick would be great if who ever the front

65. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

(CONTINUED) office picks is not money hungry. The 49ers are the best choice for a trade for “REVIS” for 2nd and 3rd round draft picks as well as one 1st rounder. With the quality of Offensive and Defensive players in the draft this year our best choice is the draft….

66. By Ronbo on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

RICKY N.Y, very impressed with your above list.Heres the thing,Delmas is excellent,no question.But how do we afford his asking price? We cant afford L.Landry who’s not nearly as good? As for Keller,been there,done that!Do we really need an undersized T.E who cant block?A.Talib will no doubt re-sign with N.E, plus again,the money?Not to mention he is kind of a knucklehead and as Spicer says ‘we have enough of those already.Overall a good list but a few I’m not so sure about.But good job bro!

67. By IRA on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Wouldn’t be shocked at all if they draft a QB in rd 2 or 3. Guess it all depends on what type of potential they think any of them have. If they don’t well 014 is supposed to be a very good QB class so its not the end of the world if they try to rebuild Sanchez or if that doesn’t work they have a hold the fort type of guy until 014.
    This is one of the more needing offseasons the Jets have had since before 1997.

68. By Ronbo on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

S.C.JOE, Relax,not another Rex post, I agee 100% with you concerning the M.M comments! The scary thing was as I scrolled down & read the comments, he’s about as popular in Philly as Schotty or Sparano were here? Dude, there was no,nada,0,zilch love in those comments.They hate him! I hope it doesn’t get that way here?. IRA, I dont get your Cumbrerlin post above? Why does his signing mean they are bringing in another vet? I got the opposite feeling as they would use him as the starter with reulad & Hayden Smith in reserve perhaps drafting
    another guy in Rd 4 or 5. I dont think we need or can afford even a mid priced F/a as after the rookies are signed we have only about 3 mill left? I know you are banking on some restructuring but we still

69. By Ronbo on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

cont.- need 2 O.G’s,2 O.L.B’s,2 S’s,a R.T, R.B plus bucco depth everywhere. I dont see T.E as a priority unless you wanna draft an Eartz in Rd.2 because he’s the best player on your board at that point.

70. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Kleckofan, Hired under Stipulation, Rex would Have to be our Head coach? I enjoy your posts very insightful, you know our team, but, I’m not buying it. I will agree I’m sure as many will, Rex may not be a brilliant strategist, great offensive mind, even average intelligence, what he is a very good motivator very good DC loyal, with the blood line to prove it, He’ll with the addition of a very good GM and OC improve on this team, I’ll even up my ante against all you intelligible critics on this site and say,.he will compete even this year as long as Sanchez is not starting. How’s that for opinion

71. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

cont. in finishing my point How good was Little Bill as a coach in Cleveland without T- Brady an owner willing to take him to the mountain, Given the best players, GM, coaches, Rex started with as much or less with the Jets as little Bill when hired on with the Browns. Rex is still above 500 as a coach in A day and age you need to be VERY GOOD good to compete

72. By GaryC on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

With all these non entities at Tightend for the jets it is setting up as an ERTZshattering event at Radio City this year.

73. By GaryC on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Now Mr.Holmes doesn’t want his contract redone,like I said these guys on lousy teams say if I am not getting to the super bowl,I might as well get my money.

74. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Tries to Be Classy on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

JetsJerry, I never boo my teams at games for exactly the reason you say, they don’t need to hear that from me. But if poor Mark can’t read the comments on this site about how terrible he’s playing, he’s not nearly strong and focused enough to stare down Dumervil or Matthews on a 3rd-and-goal and get a TD. What’s more, ultimately most of our posts are directed to ownership and management, as they’re the ones who can take action and they’re the ones who’ve been making our lives miserable for decades. Seriously, I’ve had very little fun rooting for the Jets since the O’Brien/Walker days, they’ve been mostly boring to watch and even when they had an electrifying player like Martin they won nothing. Anyway, they’re all big boys and well-paid.

75. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Tries to Be Classy on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

As for Sanchez on USC, JetsJerry (we won’t discuss high school, that’s about as relevant as his SAT scores), I saw every game he started and what’s striking, in retrospect, is how much he looked there like he has on the Jets. Didn’t throw that accurately or long at all well. Rang up a lot of garbage-time stats. Shined against the weaker teams and when USC beat a better team, it was usually much more due to a team effort than anything he did on his own. And then yeah, some impressive games when the team got out to a big lead which, as we know, he’s utterly incapable of doing in the NFL. Anyway, college means nothing when a QB is playing as recklessly as Sanchez has played in his last 2 yrs. He’ll never be great and today you need that at QB.

76. By scjoe on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Guys, no use throwing all these free agent names around, you do realize that the Jets, at this point in time, have barely enough left under the cap to sign draft picks, undrafted FAs, and maybe 1 or 2 of their own RFAs and UFAs. Maybe, MAYBE, if they are successful in restructuring Sanchez, Holmes and Harris, things will change. But not until then.

77. By scjoe on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Ron, yea, I could not believe what I was reading. Imagine, a guy who admittedly spent his whole career in the WCO, an offense that is dependent upon quick accurate passes making a comment like that? What HAVE we done???

78. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Tries to Be Classy on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

If Rex is such a great motivator, MJV, how come his team never shows up for him in the games that count? And if he’s such a defensive genius, how come his D gives up so many 3rd-and-longs and, lately, so many points?

79. By rexracerx on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

Rex hiring Thurman was a good move. I get the feeling Rex wants to keep his attentions on what he knows best — the defense. If he had hired an outside defensive coordinator, there might have been some friction. By promoting Thurman, Rex puts himself in a position where he can have as much influence as he wants. He can run the D and call the plays, or he can back off and hand over the reins to Thurman. I’d have to guess the two of them talked about this. It is an important year for Rex. He has to do well. He’s good with the D, and he’s confident in his skills running things on that side of the game.

80. By SCfromNY on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

Since many are putting their take on FA here is mine. We should be able to pick up some cap room from Harris and MAYBE Holmes. Instead of signing FAs that have a year left in them or are just backups go after 1 good one and draft the rest. A pass rushing 3 down OLB is really hard to find. Go for a long term deal on Paul Krueger and lock up that spot. We can still go for a OLB in the draft.

I think there are QB gems in the later rounds. How many #1 QBs have failed really bad. Look what Wilson did and the potential of Cousins. Make our scouts work. Whatever happened to Kiper’s “lock” Clauson? Anyone is an upgrade over Sanchez. Still loving McElroy.

81. By Ronbo on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

MIKE JET VET,I feel the same about Klecko Fan & you too.You are obviously a great fan & I always enjoy your posts.Here’s the thing,I cant buy your points about Rex being a great motivator? How motivated did they look during the last 5 games last season(all winnable)agaist “the little sisters of the poor?How motivated did S.Holmes appear to you as his team mates tried to beat the Dolphins in the last game of 2011 (with a chance to go to the playoff’s?)How motivated was Keller last year to come back from a minor injury?I just think guys give Rex to much credit for motivation.I dont see it?

82. By Ronbo on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

JET FAN FRANK, the salary cap is tricky,but NFL rookies only count for about 5 million on the cap.That gets tricky as the #1 pick gets between 25 to 30% of the 5 mill.the #2 about 10 to 15%,#3 5% to 10% and the other 4 guys divide up the remaining amount.I’m not sure of the exact formula but that is the basic idea. So Jarvis Jones or who ever we pick is only gonna cost about 2 million.Where it gets hairey is when a team has more than the usual 7 picks?If the 49ers use all 15 picks their rookies will be way below average for pay.As for free agency,we are about 8 mill under the cap but need 5 million for the rooks so that leaves a little over 3 million.With so many holes we are in tough shape.

83. By IRA on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    I respect your thoughts on the TE position but come on now if Cumberland were to get hurt do you really think they would want to turn to Smith or Reuland as the starter and main guy. I don’t think so. So either they are going to draft a TE early which i doubt, they will sign a veteran or maybe get Keller if his market value is affordable.

84. By Jersey Rich on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

I am not anointing MM as our savior but, living here in South Jersey (edge of Eagles country), Eagles fans seem to hate an awful lot of things. They were unmerciful on McNabb & in the later years, of Andy Reid. Having been to several Eagles games over the years, I would say that they have MANY more boo-birds than we do. Lets not judge MM on Eagle Fans Comments.

85. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

DEFENSE, GUYS defense. did you read my post on his skill as a>>>>>DC<<<<>>>>OC <<<<> GM and a NEW>> OC compete..

86. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

I said as a DC he’s a motivator, no coach on earth can motivate the likes of Sanchez and Holmes, I was making the point now that we have a solid GM and OC he will take care of defense. MM with care of Offense GM will take care of drafting right players players

87. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Tries to Be Classy on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

I’m with you on TEs, Ira, Smith is the kind of novelty that takes up space in the New York press when the Jets are particularly terrible and Reuland is another friend of Sanchez whom we won’t be seeing much more of given “Mark’s” declining status, rather like Bobby McKnight, who was another one of Mr T and Rex’s shining picks on O. (A small-school WR with a 10-yd average per catch, what a find…)

88. By IRA on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

See that Nugent has resigned with the Bengals. he has actually had a very good career much better than most fans would admit. 81 per career but the last 3 years with Cincy close to 84 per.
    I think this Revis deal is going to go down in a weird way.

89. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

RONBO I agree with your formula, “IF” we get Jarvis Jones he will demand a more money and more then likely will get it. So Idzik is going to have to play five card stud with any other draft picks> just don’t see us in much of a Free Agency Market this coming week…

90. By scjoe on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

Hey guys, c’mon now. You really think that Rex Ryan could have “motivated” the Jets into defeating the Miami Dolphins when the playoff’s were on the line last season? Isn’t getting in to the tournament motivation in itself? Don’t you think that maybe, just maybe, the Dolphins far and away out performed the Jets on the playing field. Gee, I guess the Dolphin team didn’t need any “motivation” to win the important games. Do you really, truly, and honestly believe that had Rex “motivated” them a little more they would have won that game. WOW!!!

91. By Karan on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Next move to save money: Restructure the contracts of Holmes, Harris and Sanchez. And heck, even more overpaid players. Please release Tim Tebow and as I much as I like him as a player, I don’t mind seeing Pouha be released if DeVito is signed. Tom Spicer makes a good point, releasing Tebow and Pouha will save $2.5 mill in cap space. Restructing will also save more at the time. Get ‘eerrrr done Mr. Idzik! And once again, I hate Tannenbaum for putting the Jets in this situation money-wise and even drafting wise.

92. By Ronbo on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

FRANK JET FAN, actually draft picks cant really hold out anymore.They are slotted by where they are picked.Actually I believe the picke in Rd 4 thru 7 all get the rookie minimum.Thats why they try so hard at the combine and all star games.They are trying to improve their stock.S.C.Joe, I was referring to the 2011 last game when S.Holmes was benched. Last years game was not as winnable as we just plain stunk.The game in 2011 could have gotten us in had we won. IRA,
    If you have been reading my post you should know I am in favor of bringing in T.Eifert or Z.Eartz to play T.E. From what I’v been hearing & reading I’m not getting the impression they will go in that direction.As we have no O.S’s, No OLB’s, no S’s I’m guessing that is the -

93. By Ronbo on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

IRA CONT.- direction the jets will go.Say OLB D.Jordan in Rd 1, followed by O.G Larry Warford from Kent.d.2? Rd. 3 will prob come down to a Q.B(mabey T.Wilson vs a T.E Vance McDonal(Rice) Rd.4 probably a simular choice like T.E.Gavin Escobar vs Q.B E.J.Manuel or Zac Dysert? There is just no way to tell who will be available when we pick or how much of a priority Idzek places in the T.E posisition. I based my comments on the fact that the cap situation says Keller is probably not an option,Cumberlin is a decent hold the fort guy,Reuland is theonly real blocking T.E. and according to a quote earlier, nobody was able to cover Hayden Smith in practice?(yeah, I laughed at that one too! You must admit,we have no O.L.B’s,no O.G’s& no S’s.

94. By Ronbo on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

JERSEY RICH, thanx for the Philly perspective! I realize they they are tough down there but man,those comments were vicious! I’m all for giveing M.M the benefit of the doubt. The problem is he will probably be stuck with M.Sanchez so our success will be limited to how much we can get out of him? Its a scary thing to even think about how many t/o’s Sanchez could rack up throwing the ball 45 to 55 time a game? SCARY!

95. By scjoe on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

On the TE situation, I am not a huge fan of Dustin Keller, but all things considered, if he is affordable, that may be the best option, “for now” I don’t see them taking a TE high, not with all the other needs, therefore even if they do take one in the lower rounds, can he contribute from day 1? Don’t think so. Other option, maybe Fasano (Miami) Overall, have to agree with Ira, neither Smith or Reuland are viable options should Cumberland go down.

96. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

IRA I sure hope that the JETS will not rely on Smith or Reuland as TE’s. I feel that “ZAC ERTZ” will be available in the second round and if the JETS are in a position to grab him they should. ERTZ is capable of being a starter on any team. We will know soon enough whether REVIS is staying or going, if he is going I am hoping the front office is smart enough to get several draft picks for him, a 1st rounder and 2nd rounders. Cinci and the 49ers seem the most interested. Which should allow us to get as many 3 or 4 draft picks between the ist and 2nd round. My first choice is “JARVIS JONES – OLB” “ERTZ and 2 OG’s”. We need the draft this year. RONBO and 64 TOM are correct in the salary cap…..

97. By kleckofan on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

This thread may be dead by now…I didn’t realize that my Rex post in response to MJV would have any legs.
    Without even arguing about whether he is a good motivator I say he does not have the horsepower to be a HC. Administratively how many disasters has this team had? Yes, some were collective Tan-Rex, but not the locker room problems, clock mngmt, inappropriate pressers, not having a healthy backup QB active while having six WR’s active, the decision to put Tebow into a game after six plays in the 2nd half regardless of what was happening etc etc. Look, I’ve said it before, as I write this I have a signed, personalized photo of Rex staring at me; I was fully on board at the beginning. The buffonery just got to be too much. Professionalism

98. By kleckofan on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Rex doesn’t get the leadership factor. MJV, you’re right coaches need sound FO personnel backing them up, but Rex is like a frat boy w keys to the Ferrari. He’s over his head much like tanny was as a GM.
    On the new GM accepting the stipulation that Rex was this yr’s head coach, there is no argument here. Woody expressly said it, the media wondered if it hurt our chances with GM candidates…there is no question that Idzik would have fired Rex if he could have.

99. By Tom Spicer on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Philly fans our the worst there is they would boo there own mother. I would take EVERYTHING from them with a BIG grain of salt. Marty M is a proven OC unlike the last 2 we have had.

100. By Tom Spicer on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

ESPN New York passes along “rumblings” that the Jets will use more 4-3 fronts in 2013.
    Quinton Coples would play left defensive end with Muhammad Wilkerson and Sione Pouha at defensive tackle. They’d obviously need an edge rusher to bring heat off the weak side. Demario Davis would be the weak-side starter. I like this news but I would want it with Wilkerson at a DE not a DT. If this is true we probably will take a 4-3 DE with that 1st round pick. But I would cut Pouha save the $1,500,000 resign Devito then start Devito & Ellis at the DE’S with Coples & Wilkerson at the ends.

101. By Tom Spicer on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Profootballtalk’s Mike Florio considers the Jets “likely” to release Santonio Holmes if he doesn’t accept a pay cut. Florio doesn’t cite sources, but he’s plugged-in enough to know this could definitely be the case. Holmes does hold leverage because $7.5 million of his $11 million salary is guaranteed. Florio insists Holmes’ “best bet” would be to take the pay cut coming off a major foot injury. We’ll know soon whether he will.

102. By Ronbo on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

To help me make this next point let be borrow a line from a former American president- “Let me make this perfectly clear”, I am not advocateing Cumberlin(aka stumblebumb)Reuland or Hayden Smith for T.E. My post was to simply point out that unless he has a major change of heart Keller will soon be an ex-Jet.Reports are cicculateing he will sign with Tenn. for about 6 million for 4 years.We dont have 6 million(certianly not for him) so he’s likely gone!And again, we have no O.G’s,no S’s & no O.L.B’s.So,how much of a priority will T.E be in f/agency?I want to draft Z.Eartz!The End

103. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo we may differ just a bit on the draft not much. I am all for an OLB as the #9 pick and we may get lucky and grab “JARVIS JONES” in the 9th slot. I am glad you agree on either .Eifert or .Eartz in as a TE both will be available in the 2nd round. I feel Idzik and MM have already had big discussions based on the draft and they have both considered DJ Fluker = OT Alabama, Terron Armstead – OT Arkansas – Pine Bluff, Kyle Long – OT Oregon, Cornellius Carradine – DE Florida State, Dallas Thomas – OT Tennessee. Some of these players will be available in the later rounds (we can not get them all, wish we could). “JONES” will be the highest price of all the rest will be glad to get on a team. There is “NO WAY” “MS” is going anywhere. it

104. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

looks like we will have compitition between MS, McElroy and Jarrard and who ever else walks into training camp. I do not believe that Idzik will waste time on a QB without drafting players that can block for a QB and help create a running game. Yes… we also need a RB such as Giovani Bernard – NC 2nd or 3rd round, Joseph Randal – Okla 3rd round and Jonathan Franklin – UCLA 3rd or 4th round. The more draft picks we can get in the 3rd and 4th rounds is all going to depend on trades…

105. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Tries to Be Classy on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, Rex’s palling around with the players and praising them to the skies even when they don’t deserve it isn’t motivating, that’s been made more than clear.

106. By carl on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Hey Jets Nation get ready, for the worst year yet of the Rex Era !!! So far the 1st player i here we are targeting is a back up linebacker from the Cowboys?Thats great! What a splash we are gonna make in free agency!!!Heres what i cant wait for . When the Super Bowl is played here in nyc , that the Pats will be using our faclity to practice in!!! Aint that a kick in the head! Go Faster Jets!!!!!

107. By scjoe on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

If you thought that the last Marty Mornhinweg statement where he claims that “accuracy” is not a priority in his scheme, how about this latest one where he states that Mark Sanchez has “a leg up” on the rest of the field to become the starter, just one small problem Marty, how do you make that statement when there is no field as yet? Wonder how that little tid bit would effect any potential FA (that is left) to sign with the NYJ. Don’t know about any of you, but I am beginning to fell that SOJ vibe going through me.

108. By Fran'scan on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Its official, Garrard is a JET. I for one like the move. He is a big guy with a gun for an arm and likely still more mobile than Sanchez, and that after his operations. He’ll be starting by week 4 if he doesnt already win the job in training camp. If healthy, he’ll be a perfect fit for a couple of years and then hand the reigns to the next franchise QB.I see alot of love for Keller on here by big time Jet fans. He cant block, isnt particularly fast or has great hands, never sheds tacklers and is injury prone. Look what the NYG did with M. Bennett last year, they are out there. I’d love him, Pitta, Cook or D Walker from the 49ers. Dont re-sign an overweight, slow WR to play TE, i.e. Dustin Keller. Vaya con Dios Sanchez… pero Vaya.

109. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

I heard some say how critical Philly fans are towards MCnabb, A Reid, so on and so forth, I guess us as Jet fans are Angels of patience, I know I’m guilty, I also know I will give credit to those deserving.. for instance I tried with no avail armed with fact and proof My subject Rex, point being , his very (first year) with the same guys you all complain are to old to slow guided them to #1 ranked Defense in the league, Now I’ll ask not only a first for us in all Jets history. I’D be hard pressed to find any coach on any team in History of NFL to match that feat. Now I know guys like Spicer will come up with some ridiculous stats fact remains he has proven with Ravens and now the Jets he is a Very good DC Cont.

110. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Cont. Even Kleckofan, cannot depute or the Tom Spicers cannot, with long drawn out boring stats distort these facts, so when I hear all about how Philly Fans are not up to snuff when it comes to understanding, patience, giving credit where credit is do it’s time for a reality check my friends, Because you have a man who’s mistake was being Loyal to his QB and GM who Hired him albeit both were horrible. I’ll say he earned my respect and deserves more then he’s been given. Schotty was another run out on a rail wasn’t given credit for making Sanchez the horrible, a Playoff contender lets See MM perform that same miracle OK

111. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Tries to Be Classy on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

I’d cut Holmes in a hot second, Spicer, we’re not going anywhere with him this yr anyway. 64 Frank, I disagree, I think getting Garrard makes it more likely that we take a QB in a lower round this yr and then in a higher round next yr. Again, we’re not going anywhere this yr so it’s not like in the Mr T/Rex era, when any number of folks on this site were fooled into thinking that just picking the right DL or LB and sticking with our awful O meant we were SB-bound. And then Rex gets all these D guys and can’t do squat with them anyway, Wilk is the only one so far who resembles a high draft choice on other teams, Wilson, Davis, Coples and the rest are all iffy. So yes, Rex is gone next yr and that’ll be well worth sitting through 2-14.

112. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Tries to Be Classy on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

MJV, Rex hasn’t proven a damn thing with Revis other than how to swell his head to a size that won’t fit in an airplane hangar. DR was great before Rex got here and he’ll be great long after both are gone, with the DR trade apparently coming next week given Woody’s refusal to answer any of six questions about him today.

113. By Byrdman on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

This thing has turned into “Is Rex Ryan an Elite Coach” ??
    I can’t remember the players name, he was a special teams guy under Mangini He made almost exactly the same observation I did about the Ryan hire while watching the Jets on Hard Knocks. The player blogged:
    “Jet players will love playing for Rex as long as they’re winning games but this team will implode when all the laughing and joking stops.” See, Mangini was a hard core disciplinarian that ran practice like a military boot camp – Ryan is the POLAR opposite! Now that his flaws have been exposed Ryan’s record is going in the wrong direction – Had he won 6 games his first year then 8 then 11, a steady progression, we wouldn’t be having this discussion, would we?

114. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who's Let Go of All Illusions on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Rex has done nothing that Mangini couldn’t have done, Byrdman, because he hasn’t affected the roster in any positive way in the slightest. Mostly all he’s done is move guys around, rave about players who don’t even deserve to start, avoid 2-minute drills, hamper Sanchez with Wildcat stupidity, and fail to get the team up for big games. As a DC he’s okay though the league quickly figured out all his chaos football schemes and reduced them to ineffectiveness about 2 yrs in. He’s a loser and I can’t wait till he goes and loses somewhere else.

115. By Ronbo on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

MIKE JET VET, As usual you make some great points.Rex does have some admirable traits.Loyalty being one of them.I’m not sure your calling out the right guy this time as Spicer has actually supported Rex lately?Hopefully you read Byrdmans post sleightly above as he does a great job pointing out the difference’s between the professionalism of Eric Mangin vs. Rex? Dude, Rex is like the substitute teacher to a 5th grader.WoW, this is great,we can goof off all we want today until our real teacher comes back!Sorry bro, rex gotta go!

116. By Ronbo on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, glad were on a different topic.Especially glad were on the same side this time as the more I hear from Marty M. the more nervous I’m getting? I think somebody’s gotta but a muzzel on this guy as he says more crazy stuff than Rex? I said in an earlier post there are a couple of interesting draft developments as our guy E.J.Manuel seems to be shooting up the boards of most teams.Thats not good for us as we probably wont get a shot at him if he’s gone by the 3rd rd?Another guy to keep an eve on is Matt Scott from Arizona U.He’s beefed up from 190 to 219 and impressed scouts with his arm and speed. He’s actually gaining ground as this years Russell Wilson?

117. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Tom64, again, LET ME SAY AND HOPEFULLY . KleckcoFan, yourself, and whom ever still not getting what I’m saying..First, with fact. Mike -T came on NLF Channel stating at the behest of Rex, Woody Johnson, even Tony Sparano, he had and made all final decisions you blame Rex and company for. NEXT not saying Rex IS A GREAT HEAD COACH. great strategist no way, What I did say he won a SB with his Defense in Baltimore. he did develop our Old slow guys you same fans keep complaining about into a #1 defense, (are you listening now ) who as Jets HC accomplished the same Mangini did what??? MANGINI accomplished what? Who Herm? Walton? Michael s? Kotite? not even Tuna, Fair and Balanced is my motto like it or not

118. By Tom Spicer on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

I think everyone is over reating to what Marty M is saying at this point what is he supposed to say “the guy stinks” no he is trying to build his cofidence up. We just signed Garrard which for the money we have is good competition. Finally the Jets are taking a QB anywhere from the 2nd round to the 4th round you can take that to the bank.

119. By scjoe on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Ron, remember long before the combine I told you that EJ Manuel will shoot up the boards? I will go out on a limb here and say that “if” the Jets are interested in him they better take him in the 2nd round, I doubt very, VERY, much he will be there for them in the 3rd round. Not with all the uncertainty surrounding this years crop of QBs.

120. By scjoe on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer, I don’t think it is a question of “over reacting” to what MM says at his news conferences, as much as what message he is sending out to potential FA QBs who “may” have been interested in coming in and competing for the starting job. Put yourself in their place, do you want to hear that Mark Sanchez has a “leg up” on everyone else to become the starter, or that “accuracy” (not a MS strong point) doesn’t matter in the WCO. How can anyone have a leg up in a brand new offense, with a brand new OC running that offense? Where is the logic?

121. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Tom64 we’re usually on the same page. but. when you accuse a coach of not accomplished a single thing, Let me set the record straight 4 you actually he won a SB with a defense he built in Baltimore, Took over a team the Jets with no respectability what so ever going nowhere fast , and in his first 2 years takes this team to 2 that’s right 2 back to back AFC Championship games plus developed this defense into a #1 ranking. I think it’s save to say maybe it’s not Rex that has no credibility. OH and this is for the DUDE only thing your guy Mangini accomplished was to get himself a job in the broadcast booth…one of the only Parcrell decibels 2 not make it in the NFL maybe you should rethink your position far as Mangenious go’s

122. By Ronbo on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, no question you are correct about not over reacting to M/M’s comments.But in view of the 52 T/o’s over the past 2 seasons,can you really blame anyone for having flash-back nightmares of more Sanchez butt-fumbles & follies?MIKE JET VET,as you are one of my favorites here I’m not gonna argue with you but can I just ask you, did you not notice how ineffective C.Pace,B.Scott &B.Thomas had become the last 2 years?As Scott & Pace were 32 last year & Thomas was 33, could’nt one deduce their age was a factor as we all constantly witnessed opponents running around & past them?Hey, we all get old dude.Sadley, it happans…

123. By Ronbo on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

S.C.JOE,Oh yeah, you made a nice call on that one which is why I’m complementing you on it.Like I said good call.I think you are right if we want him I think it will have to be in rd.2 .If what I’m hearing about Tampa Bay offering a 1 & 4 this year plus a high condidional next year I would be cool with that.If we have 2 1st rd picks I could see Manuel with our 2nd rd.pick.

124. By kleckofan on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

MJV- as i said above, I was a Rex guy. I hope he has learned from his mistakes and does become a great HC, I just fear that all the buffonery is what he is. Anyway, I’m glad to have a guy like you on here who values loyalty etc. Time will tell. BTW, what do you think Tanny’s gonna say, “I didn’t have final decision-making power, I was a puppet”, all PR and spin on TV. I dread seeing tanny on there, just grates on me.
    Ronbo- yeah, one of the talking heads was giving kudos to the Arizona kid. Could this be the year that We get a diamond?

125. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who's Let Go of All Illusions on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

MJV, I said Rex hasn’t done anything Mangini couldn’t have done and I think that’s indisputable because Rex did it with almost entirely Mangini’s guys. And I said he didn’t have the slightest positive impact on the roster, which is true. Rex has pushed for questionable picks and lost interest (Wilson) or maintained unrealistic interest (Sanchez). He’s imported favorites from the Ravens (Douglas, Leonhard, Scott) and elsewhere (LT), none of whom really panned out. He’s gotten absurdly excited about sub-par players we’ve had hanging around (Pouha, E Smith). And his allegedly great D has given up big pts at too many times and never been solid on 3rd down, especially in the clutch. Once he’s gone, he’ll never HC above the college level again.

126. By Ronbo on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Your post above to MJV is brilliant!Very well said bro.I especially appreciate it today as S.C.Joe is starting to sway me to his way of thinking(NOT!)LOL.No, but seriously, well thought out and expressed.

127. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

MM’s statements are as redundant as one can expect. I was watching 2 seperate channels NBC Pro Football Talk and ESPN NFL 32 and what they thought of the JETS chances in free agency. Both channels agree that the JETS have no hope in obtaining any prime players through free agency because of the salary caps and I agree. Both station agree that the JETS will do well at rebuilding in the draft. This is something I have been stating for awhile. 64TOM, RONBO and TOM SPICER all agree on we have to build on the DRAFT. The bickering about RR, MS and MM is not going to make a difference if the JETS do not draft properly. Idzik is has already made his presence known and knows the draft has some excellent ofeensive players as well as

128. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

defensive players. With the #9 pick Jarvis Jones will more then likely be available and I feel if hye is he will become a JET and we can sure use him. Good offensive players will be around for the second and third rounds and we will get some. The big key to adding another 1st and 2nd rounder is REVIS and so far there have been no moves for him by anyone, there was talk about the 49ers and Cinci, but that is all it is is talk…

129. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who's Let Go of All Illusions on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Like I just said on another story, JFFrank, me and GaryC have been calling for embracing the draft since the Year One. Maybe that’s because we remember the only great team we ever really had, the Namath-led one that won the SB, almost all of which came from the draft. You can name on the fingers of one hand — Sample, Talamini, Hudson, and Maynard — the players on that team whom we didn’t draft and groom. Ronbo, you talkin’ to me about brilliance in the face of MJV? I don’t think so, MJV was just cutting Rex a break for his D skills, but those aren’t nearly enough to justify keeping him as HC past next Butt Fumble Day — I mean, next Thanksgiving…

130. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

64 TOM, you know my feelings about the draft: “WE NEED IT THIS YEAR” so we can build another team like the “NAMATH LED SUPER BOWL TEAM” which was all rookies with the exception of Talamini, Hudson, and Maynard who were walkins… Do we really have to wait until next Thanksgiving on getting a new HC….

131. By Ronbo on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

TOM64, my compliment was not because it was at MJV’s expense as I think he is always a good read. I really like the guy. My point was to me, every point you made was valid.I agreed 100%. So shut up and take the compliment(LOL)!

132. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

About time you gave someone a compliment RONBO…(lol)…

133. By Ronbo on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

JET FAN FRANK, I always like to give credit where credit is do!Like I do for you on a regulat basis. I always enjoy our little draft discussions.I think you,Gary C and of course the Spineman are the real fanatic’s when it comes to stuff like that.So thatas why we chat so much!

134. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who's Let Go of All Illusions on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I’ll be happy to take the compliment, Ronbo, I just want the record to show that rebuilding this team thru the draft is A LONG-OVERDUE NO-BRAINER AND NOT THE STUFF OF BRILLIANCE! Not even mine…

135. By Ronbo on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

TOM64, As the I-Man has only been a member of Jets nation a short time I dont think we should jump to any conclusions positive or negative yet.However, if first impressions count for anything I will say so far so good. The old addition by subtraction addage really comes in to play when we look at what is happaning to our roster during the early portion of free agency.As none of the guys who have left were a part of the long term soloution in my mind its just as well they leave now, rather than tieing up valuable cap space over the next year or two. Idzek’s reputation says we will probably have kind of a revolving door here until we get it right so sombody better tell KARAN not to get to attached to anybody as he tends to do…