• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Rex Repeats: QB Play Has to Get a Lot Better

Posted by Randy Lange on March 22, 2013 – 5:21 pm

Rex Ryan, fresh from the owners’ meetings in Arizona and a few pro days and perhaps en route to some NCAA Tournament watching this weekend, made a radio stop with Michael Kay and Don La Greca on Mike’s show on ESPN New York 98.7 this afternoon.

And Rex wasn’t about to be pinned by the Kay-La Greca tag team. The Jets head coach declined to discuss any Darrelle Revis speculation or to entertain notions that he’s coaching for his job in 2013.

The best of his take on Revis: “I’m on board with any Jet decision, any decision that’s in the best interests of the New York Jets. I’ve always been on board with it. Any decision we think as an organization is the best move for the organization, I will be behind it 100 percent, regardless of what that move is. And that’s not saying any specifics about this player or that player.”

And his best take on his quarterbacks wasn’t terribly new but was a further firming up of the competitive nature of the beast at every spot on this John Idzik/Ryan creation. It came when he was asked if he knew who his opening-day QB will be.

“No I don’t. It’s going to be a position where we’re bringing in competition,” he said. “That old thing about competition making the best of us all, I think that’ll be true. I don’t think there’s a clear-cut favorite in my opinion. I just think it’s going to be competition from day one.”

Does this hint at a loss of confidence in Mark Sanchez?

“I haven’t lost confidence in Mark, but I do know this: The play at quarterback has to get a lot better, there’s no doubt,” Ryan said. “Whether it’s Mark or somebody else, we know we have to improve in that area. I guess we can file that in the ‘no kidding’ category, but that’s it — it has to get better. I believe Mark will play a lot better. But I also believe there’s going to be some stiffer competition than maybe there’s been in the past here.”

Rex had a few bullet-point opinions on some of the newest Jets. On G Willie Colon: “He’s a huge person, a guy that can knock people off the ball, a mauler, very physical.”

And the thing he liked about RB Mike Goodson besides his explosiveness and speed was that “He was targeted 16 times last year in the [Oakland] passing game and caught all 16. That’ll give you an idea how effective he is out of the backfield.”

That’s a statistic that’s worth expanding on just a little. True enough, Goodson was 16-for-16 for the Raiders, according to Stats Inc., not a lot of passes but nice production with what he got, especially considering his 12.2 yards per catch on those 16 balls.

For his career with the Panthers and Raiders, Goodson caught 59 of the 78 passes thrown his way (75.6%) for a solid 8.9-yard average and a 10.4-yard average after the catch.

It’s certainly not a fair comparison, one player’s four-year career vs. a number of backs’ one season in the same offense, but the Jets’ backs last year unofficially had 80 balls targeted for them and caught 44 (55%) for an average of 7.8 yards per catch and 6.6 YAC.

Of course, those numbers won’t mean much once the Jets take the field in the coming months. This team figures to be vastly different than any of Ryan’s four previous teams. We’ll be pointing out the positives as we are wont to do, but there will be many negatives and bumps in the road as the Jets get themselves back on track.

Yet if that’s the hand you’re being dealt, don’t grumble about it and blame the football gods. Play it the best way you know how. And that’s what Ryan appears to be gearing up himself and his team to be doing soon. That came through in his answer to Kay’s question about his possible lame-duck status heading into ’13.

“I totally disagree with that,” Rex said agreeably. “I believe we’re going to have a football team that’s going to play a certain brand of football that I don’t think we’ve played yet. I think there’s much more for our players to give and I think we’re going to get it out of them.

“We’re going to be committed to that style of football, and quite honestly to playing that style of football that can make our fans proud. We understand that. It was a rough season on the fans as well as on our team. They deserve better than that, and I think we’re going to give it to them.”

Next week we’ll begin to crank up our annual draft preview here on newyorkjets.com with position-by-position previews by reporter John Holt and myself, a piece on the Jets quarterbacks on the roster and perhaps available in this draft from the independent personnel analysts at Real Football Services, and blogs from Eric Allen and myself. For now, enjoy the free agency, the NCAA hoops, and the rest of this weekend.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

166 Responses to “Rex Repeats: QB Play Has to Get a Lot Better”

1. By walt on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

The Qb situation the jets find themselves in right now reminds me a lot of a covette being powered by a lawnmower engine.This car is not going to pass anyone.

2. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who's In It For Real on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

You want something that’s NO DUH, Spicer, try the headline on this story!

3. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

“I haven’t lost confidence in Mark,”. RR’s words today. That’s all I will say about that.

4. By scjoe on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

We know that the play of the QB has to get substantially better, but the question is, “how does it get any better with this group of QBs that are currently on this roster?” How does Mark Sanchez magically turn in to an average QB? How does David Garrard magically put the age and injury issues behind him? How does Tim Tebow do “anything” to lead us to believe he can be a force in this “competition?”

5. By IRA on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Few things on Rex’s comments today. I totally agree they might have something with Goodson. I can’t see him being any more than a change of pace RB but I think he will give them that RB who can get you 40-50 catches out of the backfield which they haven’t had since LT. Plus that’s going to be so important for them since MM depends on a pass catching RB for his system.
    As for the QB Rex is dead on whether its Sanchez, Garrard, Kolb? Or even me they MUST get some type of decent production out of the QB spot or they just won’t be able to compete with the rest of the league.

6. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

it’s like I’ve said, Rex has changed his whole persona, no more bragging , no more boviating, straight to the point, no more Sanchez gives us our best chance to win, everyone will compete, no locks, sounds like he means business to me, and Yes if he is on trail for his coaching life in 2013 . I believe Woody and idzik believe, as I do he deserves a shot given his early success, Again, time will tell fact remains he’s here for 2013 lets get behind him and hope he will get this team heading in the right direction.. Go Jets.

7. By SCfromNY on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

All the talk about QB competition sounds great, IF TRUE. The problem is due to cap contraints and lack of available talent at this point no QB on the Jets looks to light up the field. I am reserving thought on McElroy until I see him with a fair amount of reps. Filling in with younger and respectable players like Goodson hopefully will set the stage for a good 2014.

8. By Kevin kapfer on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

If anyone expects anyone besidesMark “the loser” Sanchez to be the starting QB this coming season they are fools. Ryan is the worse offensive couch in the league and he will stick with the worst QB in the league, I will not attend one jets home game this year and anyone who does is only putting money in the owners pocket. He doesn’t care about the fans and he proved that last year by not stepping in when Ryan was running the team in the ground with his love affair with Sanchez. I have been a Jets fan for 40 years and we deserve better then we keep getting. If Woody johnson doesn’t want to win then sell the team to someone who does!

9. By steven on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

SMU defensive end Margus Hunt might be more athletic than originally billed. A native of Estonia, Hunt arguably boasts the draft’s best nickname as the “Eastern Block” for his ability to reject field-goal attempts. Already impressing at the combine with a position-leading 38 repetitions on the bench press, the 6-foot-8 280 lb Hunt turned heads with an official 4.56 in the 40. How is any offensive lineman going to stop this guy?

I think that would make him the beast of the east

10. By IRA on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Rex mentioned C. Gates yesterday and i agree with him. He is super fast and the little he played he showed some potential at times. I would like to see what he can do this summer. I expect them to draft a WR early and if thats the case i am starting to doubt Edwards will be back. Maybe they hold off until after the draft or even during August ti sign him if they want to.

11. By Jets Fan Since '64 Tom Temporarily on the Sidelines on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

…and you guys think I’M hardcore (re Kevin kapfer’s great post).

12. By Charliejet on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

“QB play has got to get a lot better” Wow Rex..deep man, really deep.

13. By scjoe on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Kevin, I think if Mike Tannenbaum were “still in charge” you may be right. But I would be shocked if Rex would plug Sanchez in if he didn’t fairly win the competition, not with Idzik making the calls. That said, as of right now, there is no real competition for the starting job anyway, lets stay tuned.

14. By scjoe on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Has anyone else heard the rumor that the NYJ have made contact with Ropati? I think that may work. (if all the “no” UFA club members agree.

15. By Byrdman on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

With the subject of this headline being QB’s – lets briefly revisit the Favre deal.
    Bristling with self assurance, strutting with cocky arrogance garnered by the brilliant work he had done with our 2008 draft – 6 picks none are still Jets – 4 are out of the NFL (i think)
    Mr T. purchased a Brett Favre “fathead” poster for his bedroom and a dozen Brett bobble-heads to equip the office.
    We sent a “meaningless” 3rd round pick to GB for the aging gunslinger.
    Brett’s legendary right arm fell off half way thru the season.
    Whatever became of the pick we sent GB to basically “Rent” a QB for 16 games? Nothing much…some random guy, an OLB named Clay Something.
    5 years later… we’re still looking for a starting QB and a pass rush!

16. By IRA on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Steve,
    Somebody told me about Hunt sorry way too raw. If they are going to draft a DE in the 4th or 5th rd i would consider W. Gholston. I have no problem with them taking him.
    Mike Jet Vet
    Excellent post we are all behind this team. We will see how it plays out. I just want them to have a strong draft, maybe find a few undrafted free agents and develop some young talent this year that will help this team get back to its winning ways.
    GO JETS!!!!

17. By Mike on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Sanchez will regain confidence from the competition and be our starter and get back on track. Tebow gets released right before draft because nobody is going to trade for him.

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Temporarily on the Sidelines on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

While I’m not posting as much at the moment, I still read lots of posts that I like, such as these two from McManus’ ESPN story on our rebuilding process:
    “The Jets aren’t rebuilding. They have torn the foundation out and are starting from scratch.”
    “It sure looks like that. If the Bucs have really offered next year’s first and second for Revis, the Jets should jump on it. Next year’s draft class is supposed to be more high-end. Plus Idzik should have his own coaches and scouting staff in place by then.” COULDN’T AGREE MORE!

19. By Mike on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

The Jets would trade Sanchez if they could get anything for him but they would’nt even be offered a draft pick. Now that the Jets have brought in the old dolipins QB Garrand even though he’s 35 he is much better then Sanchez and can still run the ball like a Tebow which i believe the Jets should keep Tebow but anyway u look at it its going to be another five year Jets rebuilding process so Jet fans it will be 50 years between Jet superbowls…long time to spend in pain.

20. By IRA on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

Tom,
    We don’t know what will be in 014 but Rex sure has to coach his tail off to keep his job it seems. hey a 1 and 2 in 014 is nothing to sneeze at but I will keep saying you know what you will get in 013 with the 13th and a 3rd pick. Plus on a personal note the #13 has a special place in my heart and things usually work out with that number. Plus the Jets have only picked two players with the 13th pick in the 1st rd in their history and they were B Owens and J Abraham both turned out very good.
    Reports about the Jets having interest in Mathieu. That’s not my way of doing things but maybe they take a flyer on him if he is around come the 4th or 5th rd. I hope they can draft Elam.

21. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe, I agree with any player. who’ll upgrade and or help this team win, Doesn’t matter how he gets here, I believe our immediate needs other than QB position, Big, time,edge rusher, Start there, Skill positions on offense are a need as well.but with the right coaching, indiscipline, Naturally at the QB plus few additions, we’ll get by. We need to get at opposing QB’s first and foremost.all while protecting ours.. Yes all well known facts

22. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

64 TOM, I am usually on the same page with you and RONBO and SCJOE. But I disagree with trading REVIS for a 1st rounder next year. We should get a 1st rounder this year as well as a 2nd and 3rd rounder he is worth every bit of it and no matter out their wants him they also know how good he is. They also know that REVIS is ahead of schedule in rehabilitating his knee and will more then likely be ready and as good as he was before the injury if not better. You like me would love to see the JETS draft MANUAL this year if he is on the board. But my first choice in thwe #9 spot is “JARVIS JONES” and if we get another 1st rounder “ERTZ” would be a good pick-up. This is a year very few RB’s and QB’s will be picked in the 1st round.

23. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

(CONTINUED) its going to be Offensive Linemen and Defensive Players which is understandable because of the quality of players that are in both catagories. I am looking forward to see how IDZIK is going to use the draft to the JETS advantage this year. He has already quietly brought in some descent FA’s. It appears RR is being quite also this year. MM already knows what he wants and I like the way they are going about it. I really like the way IDZIK is saving money this year. I know you agree with that….

24. By Another Tom on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

Hmmm…maybe Sanchez can become a proficient passer if He’s only expected to throw 5 yard screen passes to Goodson. Maybe thats His strength ?

25. By Byrdman on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe, I always liked Ropati, wasn’t sure why the Jets ever let the big Samoan leave?
    He looks 100% recovered from the Achilles injury, wonder why KC isn’t determined to keep him ?
    Players such as RP cause me to question Ryan’s credibility as a DL guru.
    Why couldn’t Rex coach this guy up, polish the raw ability and size the player had?
    Rex talked like the guy was the second coming of Reggie White then 15 minutes later… cuts him?
    Same question with Kerry Rhodes, didn’t Rex realize that a ball-hawk at safety is a great compliment to a shutdown corner?
    Kerry’s got more INT’s than Revis does!
    Jets keep signing FA safeties every year searching for a FS to replace one we DRAFTED ?!

26. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Temporarily on the Sidelines on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

Another great ESPN post, one that sounds like scjoe: “The state of the offense and Sanchez’s ability are two entirely different stories. The fact is, in 2010 and 2011 he had as many weapons as a QB could realistically hope for, and the results were mediocre at best. Tom Moore managed to get some red zone production out of him, but that was about as good as he could do. His main issues – namely poor pocket presence, inconsistent accuracy, and trouble with progression beyond his first read – never even remotely improved, and no amount of coaching or weapons could fix that.”

27. By TONY GARCIA on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

Jet fan since 1969,brilliant trade for a first & 2nd next year with a team which is on the rise.NO way this years 1 then next years #2&3 maybe.Lets not be reckless in this situation rebuilding is not always as bad as it sounds.PS look at ravens dismantled team which won super bowl.

28. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, in all fairness, lets revisit the B-Farve Deal. B-F, agree or not made an instant impact on our team until he got hurt he was 8-3 threw for 6 TD’s in one game..
    , Fans like you will criticize a 19 year Vet, who holds almost every record there is and make like he’s a loser.. and why he wanted out as fast as he came. I for one would have liked to have him for that one next year, he when to Vikings very next year taking them one or two games away from a SB.. this is one reason why Top FA’s or UFA’s even coaches, won’t even consider coming here for less than a Kings ransom..

29. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

Cont. instead giving a first year HOF inductee credit for not giving up playing hurt you see him as a lame duck,, and Yes as a result it hurt us in the end , but lets once again flip the coin, I didn’t see anyone else on the roster doing any better at the time or since have you?

30. By Chicago Bob on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

Before any of us condemn Idzik for not pulling the trigger on trading Revis, let’s make sure this offer of a 1st and 2nd is real. According to John Clayton today, he said the reason for the delay is the fact Idzik wants a 1st and 3rd for Revis – sounds as if this 1st and 2nd may not be accurate. Clayton applauded Idzik for waiting out the Bucs. If the sticking point is this years 1st & not next years, I can’t blame Idzik for holding out – we know for sure this years draft is strongest in 3 areas we desperately need help in: OLB, OG and Safety – makes sense for Idzik to sit tight and push for that #13 pick. With the 9th & 13th, you should get one of the best OLB’s, possibly the best OG & best Safety while even trading down to do so.

31. By IRA on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

I have been trying to make a case to pick Warmack or Cooper if the Jets are stuck with the 9th pick and haven’t added another 1st rd pick with the Revis trade. I still think its the safest way to go. You can’t tell me Colon and Ducasse can get the job done. If anyhing its a step down from Moore and Slauson. But history shows that while Bradway was the GM he never drafted a OG high and always filled in at that spot with a veteran like Kendall and Szott or undrafted free agents like Moore and Machado. He also drafted Goodwin who mangini let go and that was a huge mistake. So with that said i would be surprised if they draft a OG in the 1st rd. If they keep the 9th pick its either going to be one of the PR or trade down and take a WR.

32. By Allan O'Dane on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

If Rex Ryan really did say ” i haven’t lost confidence in Mark” This proves what 64Tom, Ronbo, and many others here have said.. “Rex has no business being an NFL HC”…You see if Rex would have said “Mark hasn’t played well the past two seasons, I know we didn’t give him much support last year, but that still doesn’t excuse his play on the field. I wanted to see growth, leadership and better decision making out there. But clearly Mark has taken a step back and now we must put our team ahead of our egos…I will give every QB on this Roster a fair shot at becoming the starting the QB…(except Tebow) I don’t care if you make 9mil or 900k I will do what is best for the TEAM!”..That’s what Rex should have said…He’ll never learn…

33. By scjoe on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

MJV, thanks for that much needed dose of logic around here. It is hard for me to understand why every Jet fan doesn’t take that same position. ANY player, no matter how he is acquired, and is not past his prime that can help this team win games should be considered Period! I really think that some here enjoy the controversy, as opposed to NOT signing the player.

34. By scjoe on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

64Frank, re: Revis, I have stated here that I am ok with both keeping Revis and extending him long term, OR getting a great package in return, anything but keep him through 2013, do not extend him, and receive nothing but a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2014. Sure, I would like that 1st rd pick to be this year too, but if they can’t find a taker, whether that be TB or anyone else, they have to take that offer for a #1 next year. They can not take the chance of waiting to see if they CAN resign him. Knowing the NYJ that would turn in to a disaster.

35. By russ on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Any Quarterback under constant attack will be throwing errant passes to un finished routes getting shoulder injuries by body slams and fumbling the ball…Lets not think the qb iss the reason for our failure..A running back stuffed on the line of scrimmage will tell you that the game is over ….Enough of this sophmorice posturing about a quarterback…Jimmy Johnson in a paper chevy wont last one lap….

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

JFFrank, it’s because of what you say about this yr’s draft that I can wait for 2014 for a QB, even if Ira’s right about what Revis is worth. Byrdman, Rex hasn’t developed a single player to anything great with us, which contrary to what scjoe says IS part of a HC’s job. MJV, there’s a bunch of us out here who agree about Favre, the plan was for 2 yrs and what he did the next yr with MN showed what he coulda done with us if healthy…and if the NFL hadn’t looked the other way for all those dirty, late hits NO put on him in the title game…

37. By scjoe on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Ira, I may be partial to SC guys, but I would consider Devin Taylor (DE USC) if he is still there in the 4th or 5th rd. He is 6’8, 275lbs, a 3 year starter, and played in the shadows of Jadeveon Clowney (who didn’t?) at S Carolina. Also, as much as I hate the current state of the guards, that 1st round pick has to be a pass rusher (Jones, Mingo, Jordan, maybe even Anash)

38. By scjoe on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Chicago Bob, I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the 1st and 3rd that Idzik is seeking is for THIS years draft, the 1st and 2nd that TB has “allegedly” offered is for the 2014 draft. There has been a lot of debate as to which would be a better package, I happen to believe that the 1 and 3 this year would be better based on TBs draft position this year. With Revis in the mix it is almost a certainty that next years position will drop down to at least the 20s.

39. By scjoe on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, I didn’t agree with the Brett Favre trade either, but he was successful before he was injured, and that’s all that matters, and I do believe it was an injury as opposed to his arm falling off. That said, I think an even bigger mistake was to release him outright instead of holding on to his rights, because the following year with the Vikings he had one of his best years ever. No one can tell me they couldn’t at least get that #3 back from Minn.

40. By Byrdman on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet – It looks to me like you missed my point in the Favre post.
    Brett Favre is one of my all time favorite players – wanted the Jets to draft him in 1991 out of Southern Miss. but Atlanta grabbed him ONE spot ahead of us and we took Browning Nagle.
    Imagine how much different the last 22 years would have been here in Jet Land with Favre at QB instead of the 15 different starting QB’s this franchise named from 1991 – 2008. I’m thinking maybe 3 SB’s ?
    Jets haven’t got it right drafting a QB since Joe Willie Namath in 1965.

41. By ronbo on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

T64, if you have learned anything about me over the past year it is that when it come to the draft I’m usually spot on. That point will be made clearer as the draft comes near.Here’s the thing, the 2014 draft is “potentially better” only if certian players become available.ObviouslyD.E-Jadaveon Clowney from S.Carolina is the clear favorite and will be eligable as a Jr.But of equal importance is Q.B Teddy BridgewateJr.Louisville,
    redshirt Soph’s Q.B’sJohnny “football”Manzeil,Q.B,Marcus Mariotta(Oregon)plus 3 or 4 others mentioned earlier.In this case”a bird in the hand”may be our best option?

42. By Byrdman on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

I’m with you IRA, lets draft and develop 2 guards while Mangold and Brick are still in their prime. Colon and Ducasse aren’t the answer.
    This is another area where Tanny mortgaged the future by trading away all those picks over the years – Imagine, if every year since Rex arrived we had drafted one of the better guards or tackles in the middle rounds. I’m thinking by now our O line would be a FORCE.
    Figured Jarvis Jones was the consensus pick at #9 – Until his lackluster Pro-Day (ouch) 4.9 second forty dash

43. By Tom Spicer on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, I dont really care what Jarvis Jones did at his pro day. He is not a weight room guy or a practice guy from what I read. The bottom line is this if you watched Georgia play this year you know Jarvis Jones can play. He is the #1 guy I want the Jets to get.

44. By scjoe on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

64, who’s to say that Rex didn’t develop Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis, McIntyre, and Davis? Can you really make that determination in 1 or 2 years? Lets see how those players along with guys like Sapp, Bellore, even one of your favorites Stephen Hill work out before you condemn him (once again) Of course there is not much hope for Tannenbum picks like Duccasse, Wilson and Sanchez, not even Vice himself could help them.

45. By fred on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

I like the idea of adding a OG Ira but I think that only happens if you trade Revis for this years no1 pick. with two picks in the first round I go after Tavon Austin I know he is not tall but what a play maker which the Jets need in the worst way. And I believe Garrard can get him the ball

46. By ronbo on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

IRA, as the draft comes closer some things are becoming more obvious; Warmack is fadeing faster than a M.Sanchez deep pass against the wind.The more time scouts have to look at guys the more flaws they detect. Warmack for all his talent scares the crap out of many scouts because of his potential weight(think Dwayne “road-grader White)issues.he trimmed down to about 330 at the combine so who knows what he played at? Cooper has passed him on most draft boards but again, a G at #9 is not the way i would go unless there were no OLB’s.I would try to trade down if that were the case.I think we can get a G in the 20′s.A name to watch is S Kenny Vacarro from Texas.

47. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

64TOM, SCJOE and BYRDMAB, I am pleased right now at the way IDZIK has been doing things, so far he has made some smart moves and I really believe he already knows who he is going to “TRY” and get in the draft. He has spent wisely with FA’S and JARRARD this year may be a big surprise. This compitition IDZIK has created at the QB spot could prove very interesting. The surprise may be McElroy I know this kid wants to prove something to himself as well as all of us fans. Jarrard is here for 1 year. In 2014 we will probably go for a QB. But in this draft I feel JARVIS JONES AND OLB will be the #9 pick and from there a couple of good offensive linemen. It has been many years since we had a good GM and MM appears to know what he wants to

48. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

(CONTINUED) do. So the way I see it lets get on with the draft. I really don’t want to hear about “REVIS” being traded anymore, if and when it happens, it happens. I feel IDZIK want 3 spot in the draft this year for him and he is not going to settle for less. IDZIK keep up the good work….

49. By SCfromNY on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Just read Real Football that they expect Sanchez to start. A good day to start my diet since it made me sick to my stomach. Of course Rex is slowly getting back to his Sanchez love. The famous “Mark gives us the best chance to win” will be heard in about 90 days. Rex can’t help himself. By the end of training camp I am sure Wilkerson and Coples will be Reggie White and Dwight Freeney. We just need the draft for the next Ronnie Lott and Revis.

IF the Jets get an extra 1rst I would not complain if they took a QB. Look at Wilson or even Tannihill was not projected as a 1rst rounder. Plus an extra 3rd this year and next years draft we could have a great 2014. WITHOUT REX!

50. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

I see your pt, scjoe, but I did say “great,” a word no one will apply to Wilk, Coples, Ellis, McIntyre, or Davis. The only one who’s approaching a quality starter is Wilk and the jury is completely out on the others, especially since they’re so green. But I’m also talking about how absurdly Rex overvalued Sanchez (duh!), Wilson, a mediocre DB and non-existent KR/PR (though Rex loved him in those roles, then lost interest), McKnight (whom Rex can’t seem to understand is an outside running/pass-catching RB), and of course the others you mention. And I’ll give all of the credit for whatever grade you give Slauson to Callahan, who’s mentored him practically since birth.

51. By Chicago Bob on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe: Clayton did not specify whether it was this year, next year, or a combo of both – all he said was a 1st & a 3rd however I do agree with you 100% on taking this year’s 1st & 3rd over next year’s 1st & 2nd. We know for a fact this years draft is heavy in positions of need plus having the 13th pick would help as a fallback in the event we can move the #9 pick later in the first round & acquire an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder – plus next year we will be in better shape to pursue free agents. It was just reported that Grimes appears NOT to be headed to Tampa – hopefully that makes Tampa more inclined to pull the trigger. Let’s hope SF loses out to the Saints on the Asomugha signing – that may change their interest in Revis

52. By IRA on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    Vaccaro would be an excellent pick but this draft seems to be a good safety draft and they can find one or two in the middle rds. Plus they have had success in the past with Rhodes 4th rd and Coleman 5th rd. Yes there are some OG’s too that you can get in those middle rds but Cooper and Warmack are both too good to pass up. It would be ideal to trade down and grab one of them if they could.
    I am so afraid of the OLB’s in this draft. Mingo has Maybin written all over him.
    Happy Passover and Easter to all!

53. By Byrdman on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Idzik is cool as “the other side of the pillow” as Stuart Scott used to say.
    He has created a market for Revis and set a ball park price to acquire the player he’s in no hurry to deal.
    He’s right to demand TB’s picks this year (#13) next years Bucs could have the #30 pick if their history (bad season/good season) is any indication.
    Either way teams will get more desperate as the season approaches, and a healthy Revis takes the field, the asking price could go up !

54. By Byrdman on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo – is it possible that Johnny Football is a flash in the pan? He ran around and put up great numbers against Sam Houston State but LSU contained him pretty well, kept him out of the end zone while he threw 3 picks.

What do you think of his Texas AM wide-out Ryan Swope ?
    He ran a blistering 4.34 dash at the combine, he’s 4″ taller and 25 lbs bigger than Tavon Austin who everyone is raving about.

If we scoop up Swope in the 4th -5th round he could be our version of Welker.
    Bonus – If we end up in the Manzeil lottery next draft… we’ll already have one of his favorite targets on the roster !

55. By Karan on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

I agree, the Jets should take a Chance on Warmack. Guards don’t really get drafted so high but read today an article how this guy is the first pure true guard since the 1997 draft. He’s a top round pick and this team needs a guard. I’m all for re-signing Matt Slauson and unfortunately, if he cannot be retained, most definetly draft Warmack. Willie Colon is a solid player when healthy. Howard, Mangold, Brickashaw, Warmack and Colon is not at all bad. Just add more depth and cut Vlad Ducasse this second.

56. By Karan on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

If the Jets do trade Revis, I hope its for a first-round THIS year. Heck, trade for a first rounder, forgret the 2nd rounder and instead add Eric Wright to the deal. Imagine obtaining Warmack AND either Jordan, Jones or Mingo in the first round with 2 picks. Adding Wright and a player like Warmack AND a player like Mingo, Dion Jordan or even Jarvis all for one trade, thats not a bad deal. 3 players for 1 ultimately is what it could look like.

57. By ronbo on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, I dont think you wanna name guys like McIntyre when you talk about guys Rex has developed? There is absoloutely nothing about him that has been developed into anything but a decent special teams player and a so-so back up.As for Ellis, he is still very much a work in progress.I grant you Mo Wilk but Coples is yet to prove anything other than he has great potential.He has by no means shed the “lazy’ tag that dogged him throughout his college career and continued throughout last years draft process as well as all of last year.There was a reason that was documented through out by the N.Y.press he only played about 48% of the defensive snaps last year

58. By ronbo on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

S.C.JOE,IRA,On the other hand, like you I am a fan of Devin Taylor too! I saw a lot of him the past 2 years and this kid is the opposite of Coples.He is not as fast or explosive,but gives maximum effort on every play.BYRDMAN, you know I’m a big fan of yours but i gotta go with the SPICEMAN on Jarvis Jones.40 times & benchpress stuff is all well & good but there is also the eyeball test and my eyes tell me I want this kid on my team knocking the snot out of Tom Brady & ano other Q.B who thinks he’s coming in to our house & lighting us up!ALLAN O,great post above dude!

59. By scjoe on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, re: the GB Packers………
    2006.. FAs, CB Jarret Bush, DE Ryan Pickett, CB Tramon Williams
    2007… FA, RB Robert Kuhn
    2008… FA, LS Brett Goode
    2009…FA, LB Robert Francois
    2010…FA, G Evan Dietrich, QB Graham Harrell, P Tim Masthay, CB Sam Shields, LB Frank Zombo,
    2011…FA, S MD Jennings, LB Jamari Lattimore, RB Brandon Saine,
    2012..FA To many to mention (12 in all) including RB Cedric Benson and RB Ryan Grant
    2013… FA, “so far” G Garth Gerhart, T Kevin Hughes
    Still want to stick with that “NO?“ Want to try your luck with another team?

60. By scjoe on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, from 2005 through 2013 the GB Packers have signed 29, count em, 29 FREE AGENTS. Sorry dude!

61. By ronbo on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

IRA & BYRDMAM, depending on how the draft falls I could see us winding up with at least 1 G. Two would be o.k if spread out say a 2nd & 6th rd combo.I was thinking we could get by with a Colon-Ducasse splitting R.G with a good rookie at L.G.Mabey next year address the other G spot?As I’ve been away a few days I’m not sure who is still available at S but we need at least 1 vetern back there. I’m having flashback nightmares we resign E.Smith &J.Leonard as everyone else is gone?STEVEN, Margus Hunt is not gonna be a Jet.First of all he plays a posisition we are set at.Secondly, he wont be available past the late 1st rd as his stock is riseing.

62. By GaryC on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,in your words if Warmack is falling,pray the Rams fall in love with Patterson or Mingo and the jets can deal their pick for the rams two number ones,and we can get a combination of Ertz,Warmack,Vaccaro,Sam Montgomery or Bjorn Woerner.

63. By Karan on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Rex has definitely lost confidence in Mark, its pretty obvious he has. Of course he’s not going to say it directly, his way of saying it is that the play at QB has to get better and there will be competition at QB. You don’t call out your QB or any other player directly, whether its a first or second string. It doesn’t matter if your Rex Ryan or some other coach, coaches sometimes have to sugarcoat certain things they say. Mark knows Rex doesn’t believe in him as much as he used to, Rex knows Mark knows, they have their private talks, Mark HAS to play better but Rex has made it clear, if the kid does not improve, he will not start.

64. By ronbo on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAN, yeah I suppose its possible Johnny football is a fad.But I’m not ready to buy that anymore than russell Wilson.They are very simular in that they are excellent prolonging plays when the posket breaks down.personally, I would prefer to see more pass & less dash and I believe both will learn that lesson sooner than later(see R.G.III)IRA,while I understand you logic about the G pos.I still believe OLB or safty are more important early as they will prove to be more of a difference maker.GARY C,I like your thinking!Lets hope it happans!

65. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Ira, Mingo not only has Maybin written all over him, he has GHOLSTON written all over him!

66. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Head Coach Pete Carroll of the Seatle Seahawks stated MS has been distracted since TT has been on the roster and constantly looking over his shoulder and that’s why his performance was so bad this past season. “FIRST TAKES” Announcers ‘STEVEN A. SMITH AND SKIP BAYLESS” criticized Carroll for his remarks and stated that Carroll forgot to mention the 2011 season when MS was just as bad and there was no TT distraction. There is no question bringing TT to JETS was a bad move from the beginning. But that was not all that was wrong with the team in 2012. Right now most announcers say there is so much wrong with the JETS and laugh at the JETS. With the moves IDZIK is making this is going to be a different JET team this year as well as a young

67. By ronbo on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAM, if Sweoope is available in the mid rounds(3-5) yeah, I would love him.He is actually bigger & faster than most scouts thought & many are looking at him to play on the outside?His concussion problems are a red flag (especially in the slot)so that is why he is unlikely to go in Rds 1 or 2.Guys, keep eye on w.r. Tavon Austin shooting up draft boards!Do not be shocked if we pick him at9!If there are no OLB’s it could happan.Of course if we did,we could then trade Kerley as he plays the same pos & he has value.Probable get a 3rd pick for him.

68. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

(CONT) younger team. I am looking for the IDZIK to draft JARVIS JONES – OLB – GEORGIA and possibly ZAC ERTZ – TE – STANFORD, MARGUS HUNT – DE – SOUTHERN METH, AND JUSTIN PUGH – SYRACUSE. There are other good players out there that will be available. from the 3rd round up. I am really looking forward to the draft. I am also looking forward to the season starting. We will be improved this coming season and by being improved we can shut the mouths of all these Critiques once and for all….

69. By Allan O'Dane on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Ronbo. Read your post great stuff..Ducasse is the head scratcher here..He’s got the size..long arms..BUT his footwork is just awful..this can be corrected..but everyone knew he was a project. Kansas City will most likely draft a Off.lineman because they released E.Winston..Looks like Joeckel is on the radar..that leaves E.Fisher, L.Johnson and Warmack. I would love to see Warmack play along side mangold, I hope we can sign Slauson though. GaryC has my 1st 2 picks in the draft for NYJ..OL & TE. NYJ has so many pressing needs..Offense should be the main focus in this years draft. Defense in 2014 and our future franchise QB.

70. By Robditto on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

LISTEN AND PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO DETAIL………Tim Tebow is the best QB you have on the Jets roster. Why?…because he has more leadership qualities than anyone on that team/staff combined. Players play better with him and its been proven, more than once! ( Florida, Denver) Take a second before responding and think of all the great QBs this league has had that were suspect in the beginning. let ryan and the owners know that if they don’t really want to give Tebow a chance you can always send him my way on down to Philadelphia. He is going to be an amazing starter sometime soon and those that didn’t take the opprotunity to exploit what he can do will regret it.

71. By Byrdman on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe – (quoted from your comment March 25) “I was going to ask Byrdman one more question as to whether or not he was 100% sure that GB didn’t sign ANY FAs of ANY kind that year, whether it be UFAs RFAs OR undrafted FAs. But because we ALL beat that subject to death, I will not ask”

Therefore I was somewhat surprised to see your comment today on this blog concerning the FA debate. Since it questions my integrity and indirectly implies that I was inaccurate or dishonest, I’m compelled to respond.

Used to enjoy the exchange here – this whole thing is just sucking the life out of
    me – not even sure what I’m doing here

72. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Excellent analysis of Rex’s strategical speak, Karan, which, as you say, is perfectly normal for any HC.

73. By GaryC on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,when it comes to Patterson and Mingo,their teammates,I believe will have better careers,Justin Hunter and Sam Montgomery.

74. By GaryC on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,here is a prediction I will make that you can gnaw on,If Teo and Ogletree are there when the ravens pick they will opt for Ogletree instead of Teo.

75. By GaryC on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

It is funny when they say Teo will get a lot of flack from the players this year on his bogus internet girlfriend,but I wonder how many of these upstanding guys give flack to their teammates who are toting uzzi’s around.

76. By SCfromNY on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

I think we need to remember that NFL teams are not all #1s. 17% of teams are undrafted FAs. So a decent draft and some under the radar signings could go a long way. There have been many “can’t miss’ players that did, especially at the QB position. Just a couple of examples: Vince Young, Mark Sanchez, and D. Russell are all examples of QBs that came out of college with high hopes. They started out well and then fell off. WHY? IMO because the QB is so important and needs the most mental toughness so pretenders do not last long. I am putting some faith in our new GM to draft better. If we get an extra #1 I have no problem with QB but would rather see pass rusher and OL. 2nd, another OLB, Third (2) WR and TE, 4th S, 5th, 6th, 7th, “best Player”

77. By Karan on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

How come the Jets aren’t considering signing Michael Huff to a contract? And is Dawan Landry still on the Jets radar? As I seem to ask every week now, why is Braylon Edwards still not re-signed and why is Tim Tebow still a New York Jet??

78. By 41 year fan, John on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

So we get rid of Keller and we keep santonio , Sanchez , and tebow ? Keller was the only one who could catch a ball …Thank God we got Braylon Edwards back …At least there is that , If nothing else …

79. By 41 year fan, John on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Do a deal that brings Matt Stafford here to New York… We got nothing right now …NOTHING …

80. By 41 year fan, John on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Get ready for last place in the AFC East ….. 0 confidence in this squad ….Bring in some talent …Start with a QB …

81. By IRA on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

I can deal with Jones if they pick at 9 but he will be coming with question marks besides he knock issue and he is not an every down player plus maybe he will never be. Too small to hold up against the run. The Seahawks took a chance with Irvin last year and it paid off. They might be the same type of players. Hard to argue with picking Jones but if it was my choice as of tonight I still would pick the closest thing to a sure thing and take the OG. Not sure where that pass rusher is coming from. Just imagine if they take a PR at 9 and it doesn’t work out. I can’t deal with that after looking for a PR since they made the mistake of trading Big Abe.

82. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, OK noted , guess I misunderstood.your comment,, far as the follow up go’s , on B-F , Scjoe did a very fine Job of explaining the finality of the mistake we made letting him go outright without any compensation, notta so as usual our loss became some one else’s gain.. even if it was for just one year….

83. By scjoe on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, “Questioned your integrity?” “Implied you were inaccurate or dishonest?” Are you kidding me? Was that MY reaction when you questioned MY integrity? Was that MY reaction when you suggested I was inaccurate? Oh, that’s right, you were simply “injecting humor” Nuff Said!

84. By scjoe on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Ron, your not implying that Coples slacked at all last season are you? Because I didn’t see it. Yes, he started out as a part time player and put into the rotation, but that is what Rex does. Couldn’t you make the case that because he played more toward the end of the season that he was “developing?” As for McIntyre, all I did was see the guy make plays the limited amount of time he was in. We will get a more complete picture this year because I think we will see a lot more of him. What we do agree on is Jarvis Jones, 4.5 or 4.9, as long as the team doctors clear him, I would grab him.

85. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Can we stop the bickering in here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We all have one thing in common we are all “JET FANS” and we all want a “WINNING TEAM’. 45 years of being losers has got to stop. I believe IDZIK and MM are going to give us winning team. SCJOE, RONBO, 64 TOM, Karan and BYRDMAN among others have posted some good posts and I will agree some have posted bad posts but even the bad posts are entitled to there opinion. ROBDITTO, you are entitled to that opinion about MS. However, I disagree with it. We need a new young QB, if we were to pick a QB in this draft (which I doubt) I would hope it would be MANUALL. But I feel that will not happen until the 2014 Draft. Most of you know how I feel about the draft and I

86. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

looking forward to this years draft. As it stands now we only have 7 picks and my opinion on how we should draft is this: 1st round #9 spot Jarvis Jones, 2nd round
    32nad spot Zac Ertz – TE or DJ Fluker – OT. As for the 3rd round not sure yet but there will be some very good Defensive and Offensive players available.

87. By Chicago Bob on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

To all those who are criticizing Idzik for his current strategy – you obviously know nothing about building a team. You expect him to go out and spend, sign this guy, sign that guy. There is a reason these players are being let go other than just money. Even by signing these guys are the Jets going to beat NE? NO! Wake up! This man has been on the job roughly two months & inherited a monster of a mess. Give him a break. His plan is not to try & put a Band-Aid over this huge gash (thank God) but to start building right now to compete in 2015. Idzik knows what he is doing with money – saving it to spend on the right players. Thank God none of you people are calling the shots otherwise we would be looking at “Tannenbaum, Part 2″

88. By russ on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Jets will refurbish Offensive line in this draft along with OL and players for future on special teams which were lousy

89. By Karan on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Jetss, try your best to sign Fred Davis. He would be a great fit in this new system. We need a receiving TE next to Cumberland. When healthy, this guy is pretty good. Gut feeling says he ends up with the Bills, but do try your best. He has a visit with the Jets already set up.

90. By Byrdman on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

MJV – Yeah. I was actually being sarcastic and making fun of Tanny not Brett with the “fathead” poster and bobble-head stuff. Two follow-up comments I made never posted (my web link went down yesterday) I alluded to the irony of the whole situation,how Jets FO managed to fumble the acquisition of a first ballot HOF- Ironman injured wearing green and white, Chad gets revenge, the texting scandle, Favre’s miracle season with Vikings – He should have been here leading us to the SB ! Its enough to make you wonder if the Jets are cursed. Think about it… Had Favre stayed for the 2009 season, we (most likely) don’t trade up and draft Sanchez.
    maybe we’d be asking the question
    “Who should we start at QB this year, Kaepernick or Wilson” ?

91. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

KARAN Fred Davis would be a good sign, but I feel drafting ZAC ERTZ – TE would be a better choice if he is available, and from what I am hearing from ESPN he will be….

92. By scjoe on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

SCNY, great point about the undrafted FAs and an even better one about those so called “can’t miss” players coming out. What happens is most people remember the “can’t miss” players who do make it big, the “cant miss” players who do miss simply fade away into the night (unless you happen to follow a particular team that happens to get one) There is no “can’t miss”

93. By steven on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma: Having seen action at QB, DE and TE during his time at Kilgore Junior College (Texas), Johnson had already proven his athleticism. The 6-6, 303-pounder showed his athleticism is at the combine, clocking in at 4.72 seconds in the 40-yard dash and registering a 34-inch vertical jump. With only two years at tackle, including just one on the blindside, Johnson isn’t as polished as Joeckel or Fisher but may possess an even higher upside. Here’s a guy who at TE any Quarterback can hit and not miss. He runs a 4.7 forty which is as good as most TE’s and he’s 6’6 and who is going to stop 300lbs? On run plays he can surely block.

94. By steven on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Who would want to tackle Lane Johnson on a pass; a cornerback or linebaker; huh?. Instead of wildcat we could call it “strongbear.”

95. By Byrdman on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe – I thought we were having a lively and relatively lighthearted debate on a previous radar blog (Jets, NO Comps, Picks…Firmed Up)
    Somehow things got convoluted
    Most of the comments on Radar were about guys like Cliff Avril, Reggie Bush, Heyward Bey etc, if Jets would benefit by signing them.

As I recall the whole (FA vs Draft) debate sprang up at the start of this years (pre-draft Veteran FA) signing period. Every post I’ve made has been in reference to players (Mike Goodson for example) Jets acquired from another team, before the draft.
    I’m never opposed to undrafted rookies that walk into camp and light the place up – Wayne Chrebet is a classic Jet example, I don’t file them under the FA heading.

cont>>

96. By Byrdman on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Neither one of the Packers websites I consulted to dispute your “mathematically impossible” claim listed undrafted rookies signed or Packers with expiring contracts who were resigned. The main point they were making was that between the years 2006 and 2011 (2010 SB) they developed a solid unified high caliber team primarily through the draft. (I’d tend to agree)

Not to belabor the point (too late:) but your Packer list above includes 2012 and 2013 acquisitions and undrafted rookie signings.

Scjoe, you and I may have to Agree to Disagree on the subject.
    If you feel I’ve questioned your integrity, I apologize – it was never my intention to do so.

97. By Karan on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

I agree Jet Fan 1964 Frank, Ertz would be a good edition. Will he be avialable, I’m not sure. I personally prefer a push rusher like Jordan or even Jones and more preferably prefer a guard like Chance Warmack. Hear J. Cooper is pretty good too, but I have a feeling he’s a boom or busy prospect. Oh well, time will tell. Hope we get 2 first round picks if Revis is traded. G and OLB or G and TE would be great.

98. By Tom Spicer on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

ESPN’s Rich Cimini reports the New York Jets spent time with West Virginia QB Geno Smith at his March 14 pro day.
    “The Jets’ contingent had some private time with Smith, and they came away very impressed,” Cimini writes. “The Jets have warmed to Smith since last month’s scouting combine, where he didn’t blow away people with his interviews. Some feel that may have been caused by fatigue (the combine can be a grind), but he certainly redeemed himself in the eyes of the Jets.”

99. By steven on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Why is it we can’t seem to get Mark Sanchez or Tim Tebow into Mike McCarthy’s Quarterback school being that its available every year and puts out the best Quarterbacks? Greg McElroy has been participating in the Manning Passing Academy for years. These places help QB’S get their mechanics correct. I think all they need is some correction and practise to get it right during the season?

100. By SCfromNY on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Does anyone really listen to Cimini. I know we are cost saving but Huff is still available for a low price and Dallas just signed OLB Durant for peanuts. Trying to have faith but we need some bodies.

101. By steven on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Rex Ryan was at Southern Methodist University today, paying particular attention to 6-8, 275-pound defensive end Margus Hunt. I’m excited about that. I think Hunt is the best player for the Jets at the number 9 pick. He’s REALLY STRONG and REALLY FAST and REALLY TALL and REALLY TOUGH. They call him the Eastern Block because he blocks field goals and I would imagine he will block a lot of passes also. I hope the Jets get this man. He will rush the passer, stop the run, and be a nightmare for Patriots TE’s.

102. By steven on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Colt McCoy is about to be on the market and the Jets would be wise to talk with him.

103. By IRA on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

If they could land D Landry and Davis that would give them some wiggle room during the draft. No reason they can’t sign these guys. I wouldn’t break the bank but their offers should be competitive since they are about 13 mill under the cap as of today. Just keep in mind that 4 or so is for the rookie pool.
    M Hunt is picking up speed. Sounds like another reach if he goes in the 2nd rd. He is very raw and might just be another workout warrior like Gholston or Mamula.
    I would be shocked if they draft a QB early. I expect them to sign Kolb either after the draft or after June 1st.

104. By IRA on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Funny thing last year they finally filled the safety spots with Bell ans L Landry and it worked out well. I understand why they were not resigned.Once again a past move comes back to haunt them. With the need of two starting safeties right now nobody mentions they traded away for basically nothing one of their past ball hawking safeties they have had in awhile. They never should have traded Lowery. Sure he wasn’t perfect in coverage but how many times did he come up with a big turnover and he could also play CB if they needed him. that was a very bad move when they traded him. he has played well for the Jags and burnt us with a big fumble recovery in Jacks last year. Sometimes moves like that make you scratch your head.

105. By scjoe on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, we WERE having a lively and relatively lighthearted debate, and yes, it does appear things got a little convoluted. That was not my intention. Guys like Ron and 64 know that when I try to make a point I usually see it through, play to the whistle so to speak (lol) But in your last post on that previous story you stated that the GB packers only signed 6 FAs from 2006 to 2011. I just found that difficult to believe and tried to confirm it on the GB website, (http://www.packers.com/team/howbuilt.html) which I did, and it clearly states that from 2006-2010 there were 9 FAs and 2 waiver pick ups. From 2011-2013 there were 21 more FAs signed. I simply tried to prove my point about FAs, NOT insult your integrity. Cont…….

106. By scjoe on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Also, just to touch on what the heart of the “debate” that we all got into was, draft vs. Free Agency, which teams use Free agency and which teams don’t, the GB Packers name came up along with Pitt and Balt as teams who “build through the draft as opposed to going heavy into free agency, well, this web site also disputes that claim by breaking down how the team was assembled.
    (35 drafted, 30 free agents 2 waiver pickups)

107. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Looks like I’m re-emerging as a changed man in more ways than one, Karan — I find myself agreeing with most of your posts, including this one on Ertz. I don’t really know why anyone would get excited about Davis, who’s kind of Keller a few yrs from now and after another injury, as opposed to drafting a bona fide, major league, modern-prototype TE like Ertz. As for Geno, Spicer, I’ll advance the unusual theory — aired this morning on my skeptical Jet fan friend of the same duration as myself — that the Jets may draft a QB lower this yr and higher next if there’s an irresistible one in 2014, just like CAR picked three and then went for Newton the next yr. And GaryC’s still not convinced…

108. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Where’s Row when you need him? I didn’t realize until going on the NFL site just now that one of the remaining young, quality FA’s at one of the many positions at which we need help (WR) is the explosive if historically oft-injured Danario Alexander, Row’s big tout from yrs ago who’s made good on the Chargers! Based on what I’ve seen of him, I’d take him over Heyward-Bey in a heartbeat though, again, probably in no more than a 2-yr exploratory deal. I’m sticking with Idzik’s plan of getting the starters for the next great Jet team of 3 or 4 yrs from now out of the draft(s).

109. By fran'scan on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Just heard Rex is scouting Margus Hunt, someone I commented on earlier but the post wasnt transmitted. Another case of a Great, well amazing, specimen of Athlete but not a great football player. He has only been in the US for a few years and never played prior to that. Sound familiar folks? yep, all we need to do is check DuCasse who is “great feet and strong”… how has he fared for us so far ? No one looks more lost when the ball is snapped than him, well, maybe MS… I understand we have to do our due diligence but we shall soon see how much influence Rex has on this draft. i’d hate to waste an early pick on an exciting “project” , rather have a solid blue chipper. Happy Easter everyone !

110. By Karan on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Jet-Fan Tom 64, haha nice, glad to see you agree with some of my posts. For Ertz, that was more of JetFan 64 Frank bringing up the topic. Ertz would be a good addition, I wouldn’t mind though the Jets signing Fred Davis. I don’t know if he’a much of a blocker but the team needs a receiving TE in this new system. Plus, he’s faster than Keller. IRA, I’m also a little disappointed the Jets couldn’t re-sign at least one of the free agent safeties we had. Even bringing back Bell to a one year would have been good.

111. By GaryC on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

JetFanTom,CONVINCED,about what,JUST ONE PLAYOFF WIN,JUST ONE.

112. By GaryC on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,here is another reason I am against Mingo,this guy reminds me of someone four or five years ago who was drafted by the raiders,his name was Quinton Moses,came out of Georgia,had the same frame as Mingo and athletic and what has become of him,getting back to Mingo,I said before combine his bench press would be important,yesterday at his pro day he did not lift,he is trying to hide something,As in past drafts when I said the jets should stay away from Golden Tate,Michael Floyd,this draft,head in the other direction when it comes to Mingo.

113. By GaryC on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Remember this about the draft,when you find out a team is working a player out,the majority of the time,they are trying to get other teams to believe they are interested in that player,why would that team let other’s know they are interested,that is why they have private workouts.

114. By GaryC on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

As much as many are leaning towards my man Ertz now,unless the jets get that second first rounder,cannot see him selected with the ninth pick,Vikings along with the Rams have two number one’s.Too bad the jets couldn’t deal a player and their pick at nine to move up a couple of spots,then trade that pick to rams or vikings to get their two picks,sort of an enticement.

115. By GaryC on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

JetFanTom,instead of putting Newton with Unitas and Montana,I put him right up their with Danica Patrick and Anna Kournikova,athletes with more publicity and less results.

116. By ronbo on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

S.C.JOE, Yeah, I am saying Coples continued to show his immaturity and non readiness for life in the NFL. It was documented in the N.Y.papers as well as comments here on Randy’s radar.Not saying he is a bust.He has a lot of talent.But remember, Rex annointed him as a starter immediatly after the draft and that never happaned!Now, I will grant you he did come on as the season progressed.I am now high on him as I think the light may have come on!As for macIntyre,believe me, there is a very good reason he has bounced around so much.He’s not big or strong enough to play D.E,and he’s not fast enough to play OLB as a starter. Yes he made a few tackles but it was usually when the Q.B was flushed from the pocket and basically ran into him.

117. By ronbo on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

BYRDMAM & S.C.Joe, all a person has to do is read a couple of your posts & it becomes obvious you guys are successful at what you do in life.You are two of the most intellegent guys here on Randy’s radar. So why the heck cant you two knuckleheads find some common ground,agree to disagree and lets get back to what you guys do best,,,talk football!!!!!!! SPICER tells me I think I’m running things here on Randy’s radar so thats an order!

118. By Karan on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

The Jets seriously need to re-structure the contract of David Harris and Mark Sanchez. David Harris more than Sanchez. Harris is one of my favorite Jets and a good player but he is not worth what he is making which is $13 mill this year. That is a lot for a linebacker. Tannenbaum, just wow, he should write a book or something on how to completely screw a team up. I heard if MS re-structures, it will be not good long-term for the team. Whatever the case, they should really re-structure the contract of these two players. Cro and Holmes are still making a lot, but at least they agreed to re-structuring. We don’t know the case, maybe the GM has not asked Harris and Sanchez to re-structure. We are $13 mill under the cap which is pretty……….

119. By Karan on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

……….good considering the team was $30 OVER at the start. I like Idzik so far, lets just hope he creates more room by doing this and also cutting Tebow will save more money. I really don’t think the Jets will get anything for Tim. I like Tim but just not in NY, hope he goes to Jacksonville or some other place. Making these 3 moves will save more $$ which creates more room for signing the draft picks and signing more free agents.

120. By kw65fan on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

When is “Jets West” camp MS. So excited. But looking for space to play. Still have that 40,000 sq ft building Tom64 for rent,,???

121. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

The way I see the draft via IDZIK is simple… Lane Johnson – OT, Oklahoma or Jarvis Jones – OLB Oklahoma in the #9 spot of the first round. If one of these players are available in the Second round I would like to see one of them picked Tyler Elfert – TE ND, Zac Ertz, Stanford, or Margus Hunt – DE, Southern Meth.. Preferably ERTZ… As for a QB Geno Smith will not be available and I do not believe we will draft a QB in the early rounds, maybe in the 4th, but more then likely next year. 64 Tom summed it up in his post as well as Ronbo and Karan.

122. By Chicago Bob on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Karan: To you and anyone else who would like to see MS restructure his contract – WHY SHOULD HE when chances are this will be his last big pay day and last year with the Jets?!!!! He would be a complete fool to do so unless they guaranteed him the same amount of money beyond this year and unless I missed something, Mike Tannenbaum has not been brought back as G.M. – would you restructure your contract if you were in his shoes? I would not and anyone in the free world who would is either an imbecile or would hire Mike Tannenbaum as G.M.

123. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

…and I agree with you about restructuring Harris’ contract too, Karan. I’m with you on Ertz and Mingo, GaryC, but you seem to be the last man standing when it comes to believing Sanchez “took us to” two title games. He actually played just about well enough to not keep us OUT of the playoffs, especially in the 1st yr when IND handed us a key game. And who’s gotten more publicity for less results than MS? When he has a yr like Newton’s first, let me know. Best case scenario for MS is Rex tries to give him the job but he’s just too pathetic in the WCO, Garrard and McElroy fight it out all yr, MS moves on to SEA or STL next yr with no comments from you or anyone else.

124. By MIKE on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Byrdman, Rhodes was a joke at FS. He was the worst run stopping Safety in the NFL when the Jets traded him. Jets fans liked Rhodes because of his first 2 seasons looked very promising. As soon as his success went to his head, he was done. Just because he had a couple sacks and INT’s doesn’t make him a good player. He couldn’t cover anybody and thats why Rex traded him. I’ll take Eric Smith over Rhodes any day.

125. By scjoe on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

OK Ron. Will do! Now, on Coples, sure Rex anointed him the starter before the season, he also did that with Hill, we all know how that worked out, that is simply Rex being Rex. But the real fact of the matter is Coples progressed during the season, and contrary to what 64 thinks, his steady improvement from beginning to end is called “development” and that is only year 1. Lets see how he progresses in year 2 and how Davis, Ellis, and some of the 2013 class work out before we ( we not meaning me) condemn Rex once again.

126. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

OK I’m going to shake things up, I know the honchos who see themselves as the leaders of the Radar are going to hem and haw ,try this out for size how about tapping into Canadian league for top players at discount rates, looking to break into NFL who basically played and are battle tested,I seem to recall Miami picked up a really good Line backer, . Cameron Wake , I believe his name. I for one am getting tired of draft pick bust or waiting years til they develop, Well you guy’s get the picture. OK let the debates begin.

127. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Ha, kw65, I should be so lucky! (re the 40,000 square feet to rent.) But hey, Sanchez wouldn’t notably stand out on any of the best high school teams in the San Fernando Valley. Hey, Davis cancels his trip to the Jets, great! Just say no to overpriced, recently-injured FA’s who are no better than the overrated ones we’ve just let go.

128. By GaryC on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Okay,JetFanTom,Sanchez has not taken us to any playoff wins,he is on par with Newton.

129. By ronbo on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

MJV, GREAT POINT!First of all,let me be perfectly clear, I am not nor have I considered myself a “leader on Randy’s radar.I alluded to some comments made at my expense by the Spiceman!Now, as for you your thought on Canidian league players, Why not?I dont care if we get guys from the Alaskian Eskomo league.As long as they can help us win games.Heck, I’d bring in one of the jammers from the Bay city Rollers if I thought they could help us beat the Patriots?

130. By ronbo on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

GARY C,interesting points you bring up comparing Mingo & Patterson vs. their teammats Montgomery & Hunter.Hers my take: Mingo is a better athlete than Montgomery!.Because he is faster,more explosive.That give the “potential’ for a higher end player down the road.Montgomery is a bigger,thicker type.He is more suited to play 4-3 D.E as he is not quick enough to play OLB in a 3-4 or big enough to play D.E. Patterson is shiftier& more explosive than Hunter.Both have shown a tendency to lack concentration resulting in dropped passes.I believe both will have very good Careers.Again, a sleight edge to Patterson as he is more of a game breaker!

131. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

You just proved my main pt about the low expectations of Jet fans, scjoe: Rex gets slightly promising results from a #1 pick on D — after going 1-for 2 on his other #1 D picks — and you’re ready to call him a genius, while other teams — including one run by our new GM — pick QBs at #3 who beat out QBs they’ve just traded for and named the starter. GaryC, with rare exceptions, I don’t believe QBs on their own “take” any teams to playoffs, so for me your joke falls flat. I think elite QBs can keep even weak teams in the playoff contention and elite QBs are very often the difference in the big games, including the one in February. Or I guess you bet the house on Grossman “taking” CHI past Manning’s IND…

132. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I appreciate your analysis but your post on Mingo and Patterson is still another on this site that comes from some place where Mr T is still GM and Rex is still running down the hall to him raving about iffy picks like Kyle Wilson and non-entities like John Conner. Everything you say about Mingo and Patterson reads like the Second Coming of Gholston and Hill. What I don’t get is why some of you folks think Idzik, who’s already shown he’s not timid about making moves (as proven by how some are shocked that we, horrors, signed NEITHER DeVito NOR Pouha!), isn’t going to break with the drafting traditions that Gholston, Hill, and others represented. I still think Hill could work out though, scjoe, and we should draft a WR high every yr.

133. By Row on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

My big idea in the draft is just that somehow they end up with Giovanni Bernard. I think Jordan is a fit for the first round and I like the Florida safety late.. DX would never make it on this team, just no deep ball here. I look to see Hill succeed in the slot and more Sanchez blunders. Personally, if no QB is signed, I’d roll the dice with Tebow and live and die by his read abilities.. The guy wins games. Go Jets

134. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

I do not know if any one else in here has noticed in the sports column where it shows NFL transactions. IDZIK has been very quiet since signing GOODSON. There has bee talk about Zac Ertz and Tyler Elfert would be a great TE duo for the JETS, and if one of these players were not available Vance McDonald of Rice could also be added to the TE position. I do not see how we can get 2 of these players without some added draft picks especially in the second round. But I like what IDZIK is doing so far and that is “taking it slow and not talking to much”.
    RONBO, 64 TOM and SCJOE your opinions on this post… On what is being said about this on the JETS Home Page. KARAN let me know what you thing also….

135. By GaryC on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Jetfantom,that is why I am in a coconut tree now,Would you have thought Bob Griese, a game manager would have beat Fran Tarkenton, in the Super Bowl,the same Tarkenton who broke all the passing records.

136. By ronbo on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

T-64,Please understand my comments to Gary C were in no way intended to advocate picking Mingo or any of the guys mentioned.I was simply offering my take on his question.My preference is Jarvis Jones or Deon Jordan at #9.

137. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

What, Row, you return and don’t urge the Jets to sign Alexander?! 64 Frank, that’s a great idea about the TE duo, even if Pats fans will rib us for taking a page from their book. What I particularly like about it — are you listening, scjoe? — is that it represents EXACTLY the kind of aggressive thinking about O that would NEVER have happened under Mr T and with Rex in charge. Which is to say that I don’t think Rex really is in charge anymore, he’s like a caretaker government waiting to be ushered out by the next election. The way Idzik is rebuilding without an apparent care as to what happens to Rex after a 2-14 season is, in a way, fitting for our joke of a HC. Finally, he’s handed a fate that all his foolish talk can’t hope to alter.

138. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

64 TOM, let the Pat fans laugh… We might have the last laugh the way IDZIK has taken control of the FA’S AND THE DRAFT. One never knows with fresh young players what can happen is a new season. With the additions of Garrard and Goodsen among a couple of other players, With an excellent draft we just might finish over 500. It wont get us to the Super Bowl this year. But it would be great to beat NE with a similar scheme in offense. I like IDZIK’S way of thinking….

139. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

Well, GaryC, I was always and remain a fan of classically gifted drop-back QBs who can throw consistently accurately, not scramblers and busted-play savers and read-option guys then or now. So I wasn’t the least bit surprised that Griese, a virtually mistake-proof QB who threw very well especially in the clutch, “beat” Tarkenton, who racked up great stats without ever gaining the knack to win the big ones, which he never did. Plus you’re neglecting, once again, how much better Griese’s team was as a whole than Tarkenton’s…

140. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

I get that, Ronbo, I just want it on record that I don’t think we’re gonna be picking “great athletes” who aren’t fit for the pros or have barely played the game or barely speak English, or guys with a possible jail term hanging over their heads, or guys who threw one block on tape and got Rex excited, or any of that other nonsense. I just got thru telling another lifelong Jet fan that Idzik’s in no hurry to trade Revis and that we shouldn’t be surprised if more of that deal is for 2014 picks instead of 2013. Cimini, Walker, and that complete fraud O’Connor are always trying to lock the Jets into dysfunction by scaring them with “what fans want.” What Idzik knows is that Jet fans first of all want to stop being the NFL’s biggest joke team.

141. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I agree with you on “JARVIS JONES” IN THE #9 SPOT. However, if we do not get Jones, then I would prefer to see Tyler Elfert or DJ Fluker in the #9 spot…

142. By scjoe on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

64 Frank and Tom, my opinion on drafting TEs in the 1st AND 2nd OR 3rd rounds? Hilarious! First and foremost, we don’t have a Tom Brady on this roster OR anything remotely resembling one. Therefore a TE Duo like NE has is nothing more then a fantasy. Not to mention what the vast majority of the fan base would do if the NYJ totally disregarded all their other needs, and there are plenty, to go with 2 TEs in the top of the draft. Simply stated, you can imitate, but you can’t always duplicate. A quality pass rusher and a quality O lineman or RB would go a lot farther in turning this team around then any TE at this particular point in time.

143. By scjoe on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

64, there is not, never was, and never will be “low expectations” from THIS Jet fan! Not that that matters a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. As far as those “slightly promising results” from HIS (Rex) first 2 draft picks? Lets remember two things. 1-They were not HIS picks, they were Millanbaums picks. 2-There have been a whole lot worse results around the league then the NYJ last two #1 picks. As for Wilson to the Seahawks in the 3rd round? Well, he went #76 overall, which means a lot of teams passed on him, more then once. You tell me, you loved the S. Hill pick in the 2nd round, how would you have liked the NYJ selecting Wilson with that pick? I bet your answer right now would be a little different then it was at the time.

144. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

On the story ahead of this one, scjoe, you said it’s all about “winning at any cost,” every yr. Since I don’t look thru that window, I’m not likely to agree with much of anything you say here either. As for 2 TE’s, ANY imaginative thinking on O on this team would be a revelation and once again, like with your belief that we’ll never draft well because the Jets rarely have, you seem to think we’ll never have a Brady-caliber QB because we rarely have. This isn’t just LOW expectation-thinking, it’s NO expectation thinking. I still think Hill could work out but like I told you yesterday, I think we should draft a WR high every yr and like I told Ira, I think Jet fans should stop sweating what’s done with every single draft pick…

145. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

…(cont.) though I certainly understand why some Jet fans do that, having been raised on a diet of about 3 of them a yr under Mr T. As for whose picks were whose, we joke and speculate about all that on this site, but no one can really know that for sure unless they work for the team and not really even then. Whoever picks they’ve been, from Lee White to Vernon Gholston to Mark Sanchez to Vlad Ducasse, a whole lot of them ain’t been very good!

146. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

64Tom, I couldn’t agree with you more. SCJOE, I disagree with you about the 2 TE’s and a couple of good RB’s coming out of the back field with great hands to catch the ball with as well as holding onto the balll when they run. This type of foresome would create havoc with any defense especially if you have to fantastic wide receivers. As for us not have a QB that can throw in this situation. We have Jarrard and possibly McElroy. Sure we need to fix the offensive line as well as get a good Defensive player. The JETS Defensive was great last year, the only real problem we had is rushing the QB and that’s where either “JARVIS JONES OR MARGUS HUNT” WOULD COME IN and fill that gap and if they are not available Datone Jones or

147. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Damontre Moore will be… No matter what the #9 spot will either be “JARVIS JONES or DJ FLUKER. But I am also getting a gut feeling now that MATT BARKLEY is rated in the top 25 he may be looked at by the JETS….

148. By ronbo on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

JETFAN FRANK,as i have repeatedly stated,I am a big Zack Eartz fan.That said, no way we pick Eartz at#9 NFL teams simply dont value the T.E’s& the R.Tackle pos. is valued even less.You have to understand that L.T& R.T are very different pos’!As most Q.B’s are right handed the L.T is the blindside protector.Opposing defences put there best passrushers on the blindside to make it easier to get strip sacks.Therefore L.T’s have to be quicker more athletic to stop them.R.T’s are usually bigger(less athletic) heavier guys more suited to run-blocking.Flucker is strictly a R.T.He & Eartz are late 1st early 2nd rd. picks.

149. By WVjetsFAN?? on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

The Jets need to resign Braylon Edwards, he and sanchez have a good repore and he’s always been one of my favorites he never gave up like Tone did, Braylon Belongs in NY with the Jets, i Would like to see them get a WVU player in the first round tho Geno Smith QB or Tavon Austin WR, who runs at the speed of sound. im in WV and i’ve watched them both play for the last few years and if not then give ol Pat White a try bring him in let him compete, he’s a winner, i watched him become the only QB to EVER WIN 4 BOWL Games. He deserves a shot and hope he will get a chance somewhere. That being said i’ve been a jet fan for 15 years i love rex and i so far hate John Izigd or whatever if they fire rex i might just have to take my love elsewhere

150. By scjoe on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

64, it sounds to me like you have a few cold ones before you post, quite a few! Tell me this, if you are not interested in winning at all cost, or as you so eloquently put it “you don’t look through that window” then why are you so concerned about “rebuilding?” Rebuild for what? At first I thought you were so into this “rebuilding” fling in order to win, now i’m not so sure what you are trying to say.You want to take a few years and “rebuild” but you “don’t look through that window” re: winning. WTH??? Try to clarify that for me, if you can!

151. By scjoe on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

As for that imaginative or innovative offense you are referring to,
    the 2 TE offense, yea, really imaginative. Anyway, there is more of a chance of Joe Willie coming out of retirement and QB the NYJ in 2013 then the NYJ selecting 2 TEs early in this draft. With a Brady caliber QB or without one.

152. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, you’re really flailing now and I continue to believe that the real scjoe took a walk-on in INVASION OF THE BODY-SNATCHERS. That first post of yours makes ABSOLUTELY no sense, starting with drunk jokes about somebody who only drinks margaritas and red wine. So, the poles are “winning at all costs” vs. “never winning”? Who’d you take straw man-inventing lessons from, somebody in D.C.? I’m just not panicking over the most true from-the-ground-up rebuild we’ve ever had, after which Mr T, Rex, Sanchez, and a ton of lousy players will all be gone. You’re really not thinking ahead if you think 2 or 3 yrs from now anybody will want any of those losers back. As for 2 TE’s, I know it’s not realistic but that poster’s attitude sure beats yours!

153. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

RONBO I do not disagree with you. In the #9 spot I feel they will draft “JARVIS JONES” and you know I said that repeatedly. I to feel if Ertz is available in the later rounds he would be a good fit for us. But what we need more then anything is a couple of Offensive linemen and another good Dt such as Ezekal Anah or Daytone Jones. One of these players will be in the #9 spot unless Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson just happen to be available.

SCJOE. Between this year and next year there could be a 2 TE on the JETS. As for a QB not this year. But the Coaching Staff is looking at Matt Barkley I am not saying we will get him I feel he will go early. I just like the thought of a 2 TE situation it has been successful for NE, 49ers, GB,

154. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

and Houston. Once we get a good QB I would like to see it. You are right about needing a QB to fit in the 2 TE scheme

.WVjetsFAN. As for Braylon Edwards, no way. as for giving Pat White – QB a shot. That would not be a bad thing…

155. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Re the 2 TE and the new QB, 64 Frank, thanks for thinking beyond tomorrow’s next contrived slap at the Jets from Cimini, which is about as far as some folks on this site seem to be capable of looking.

156. By scjoe on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

64, your right, the “few extra cold ones” remark was a little over the top. But you have to understand the reasoning behind it. Your position on your favorite sports team (and mine) winning, or not winning, is baffling to me. You seem to be obsessed with “rebuilding” and “building through the draft” but not obsessed with winning like most Jet fans I know. If I have said this once, I have said it 50 times, there is no guarantee that “building through the draft” wins championships. Most teams use that formula, most teams never make it to the playoff’s.That’s a fact. What do you do 3 years from now if the NYJ are still a 6-10 team? Continue to stand firm on “building through the draft?”

157. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

64Tom, SCJOE, I want to see the Jets be winners just like any other true JET FAN. I believe IDZIK is putting such a formula together from what he has done so far. I would like us to hit the 8 and 8 mark this year (or better). But we have so many needs to fix offensively and defensively between now and next year. I am looking forward to the draft to see who Idzik is going to pick. As for the Revis situation nobody knows what his situation will be except IDZIK. But my gut feeling he will be playing for the JETS this year. If MS can not pan out, pay him off and get rid of him what is the difference of paying him this year or next year.

158. By Chicago Bob on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

As much as I would love to see a pass rushing OLB, I will be very surprised if the Jets use the #9 pick on Jarvis Jones. My guess is Idzik has done his homework on spinal stenosis and has pretty much decided that it is not worth the risk of using a #9 pick on him. That does not count out the possibility of trading down and getting him later on however anyone out there who has or knows of someone who has this terrible health issue (my father does) knows how painful this can be and the thought of Jones being hit by 330-350 lb. lineman will most likely shorten his NFL career. Considering the fact we got hurt on high picks such as Sanchez and Gholston, I think Idzik realizes he cannot afford the risk Jones brings due to his health issue.

159. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

I’m not offended about the drinking, scjoe, you just picked the wrong guy since there are 2 things I’ll never do with alcohol in my system: A business meeting and post on the Jet site. Other than that, you keep going around in circles about “winning” without saying when, so I’ll spell it out for you, which I’ve rarely had to do: I give Idzik 2 yrs to rebuild, then another yr or so for the players who come with that rebuild to make us competitive at least and great at best. That’s the same sked we gave Sanchez and Rex, who looked pretty shaky after the 3rd yr but we went in the wrong direction with the MS contract, Tebow, etc. And I already told you there are no guarantees in anything and nothing personal, but only losers ask for them.

160. By scjoe on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

64Frank, I agree that a 2 TE system could work well, all one has to do is look at NE, but it all comes down to who the 2 TEs are and who the QB is. Heck, there are a couple of teams around the league (SF, N.O.) who do pretty well with just the one TE. Again, it comes down to who those TEs are and who the QB is. The thing is, IMO, you better address the QB and the OL first before you even consider the TE position.

161. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE, no offensive scheme will work without a good QB and a offensive protection…

162. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

64Frank, heard people say “6-10 is worse than 4-12″? The way the NFL works now once you’re out of the playoffs, you may as well unload the bench and just evaluate players. 8-8 is useless if you’re out of the post-season and just gets you later draft picks. I don’t care if we’re 2-14 for next 2 yrs as long as the year AFTER that I see marked improvement. Chicago Bob, good one on spinal stenosis and sorry to hear about your dad, he’s a brave man for dealing with it. But no, I don’t want anyone on the field in Green and White dealing with it, let Jones go into coaching. 64Frank and scjoe, what I liked about Frank’s 2 TE thing is it showed thinking outside of Rex’s outdated box on O, and Rex is one reason we have such a lousy QB to begin with.

163. By john sciandra on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

to think sanchez wont be the starting qb under rex ryan yur fooln yurself. the man is infatuated with him from day one. he said whe n hired by the jets yur my man. being a season tckt holder, he makes me sick to be committed to one player. why? only rex knows. given him 2 more seasons then im done. only reason im holdn on is maybe i can get superbowl tckts. never met a coach who is devoted to a obvios loser, sad.

164. By Mike V on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

“QB play has got to get a lot better”… “more competion at QB this year”… blah, blah, blah… there is no one playing QB for NYJ’s that scares anybody! Typically the Jets bring in guys to “compete” who can’t beat out butt-fumble Sanchez and who are back-ups at best anywhere else… Rex better find somebody like Weeb did and air it out because ground-and-pound is DEAD! Maybe we get Bradford for 2014?… nothing on offense has really changed-no playmakers… zero splash on offense in FA… Tebow still hanging around (arena ball here he comes?)… get ready for a long year! 1969 was a long, long time ago…

165. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

64 Tom I couldn’t agree with you more about this season. What I disagree with is not starting to build this season and where I would like to see us build is with people like CHANCE WARMACK, MENELIK WATSON – OT, DJ FLUKER, or KONATHAN COOPER = OG, I know some will disagree but we need a solid offensive line that can block and protect a QB as well as open holes for a RB. We had no pass rush last year and even so our defense played well, we need a good DT and OLB we need players like Demontre Moore or Jessee Williams on defense. I feel taking JARVIS JONES based on his spinal stenosis is risky, but I still feel he will be picked in the #9 spot. As for a 2 tightend system it could work very well for us especially if we start off by grabbing

166. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

ELFERT somewhere in this draft. But once again no matter who I like and the rest of us like in this draft minds are already made up in the front office on who is going to be drafted. If the front office does not draft smartly and go after our most important needs this year to start building for next year then we will be in the same situation MR. T left us in….