• Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 12:15 PM - 12:45 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Jets Insider Eric Allen will report from Training Camp practice with guests Willie Colon and Rex Ryan
  • Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 1:15 PM - 1:45 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will adress the media following Training Camp practice
  • Sun., Aug. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Wed., Aug. 06, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Thu., Aug. 07, 2014 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Sun., Aug. 10, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 11, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 13, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., Aug. 16, 2014 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

It Was 50 Years Ago Today …

Posted by Randy Lange on March 28, 2013 – 2:23 pm

Happy Golden Anniversary, Green & White.

Today is, in fact, the Jets’ 50th anniversary, if you consider their birth to be March 28, 1963, when the sale of what was left of the New York Titans franchise to the five-man ownership syndicate of David A. “Sonny” Werblin, Townsend Martin, Leon Hess, Donald Lillis and Philip Iselin was reportedly completed.

Werblin became the new club’s president and CEO. He presided over the renaming of the original AFL franchise as the Jets and the naming of Weeb Ewbank as the new head coach, both listed as occurring on April 15, 1963 (so there’s another two golden anniversaries waiting to happen). And Sonny was the pointman, with the AFL draft late in 1964, in ushering in the Joe Namath era, which of course led to Jan. 12, 1969. Say no more, say no more.

Since that day, of course, the Jets have not returned to the NFL’s championship game. Many would argue about the number of highlights and great players and coaches in the first 50 seasons of Jets football. Certainly the record shows that in that half-century the Jets have had 27 seasons of .500-or-better ball, 18 winning seasons, 13 postseason appearances and 11 playoff wins.

However, I have always been of the opinion that cheering hard for any team, pro, college or high school, is a lot like being a member of an extended family. You may not always like all the members of your family or the events and outcomes that occur from the actions or inactions of some of those characters.

But when under attack from the outside, it’s time to circle the wagons and let folks know you’re now and always a member of the Green & White family. It’s the only family (or at least one of the only families) you’ve got. You’ve lived your life with them. And the current incarnation of the family has seen that things need to improve and they’re hard at work on improving them. It’s time to celebrate the good.

So in advance of the season ahead, when the Jets organization will celebrate the first 50 years of Jets football, let us know at any time of your favorite all-time Jets and your top Green & White memories. Naturally you can refer to your less-favorite reminiscences as well. But at this moment we’re focusing on the good times of the last 50 years and the good times of the next 50 years.

Now where’s that gold-plated party horn?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

126 Responses to “It Was 50 Years Ago Today …”

1. By scjoe on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Great article Randy, and just for those who don’t remember “the NY Titan” days, let me tell you, if you want to ridicule Rich Kottite, Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum, etc. They were Vince Lobardi, Dick Steinberg, and Don Shula compared to the rag tag outfit that were the NY Titans. No one involved in that organization knew which way was up! Kind of comical in retrospect.

2. By IRA on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Randy, You took the words right out of my mouth about the Jets being like a family. Not everything is always perfect but push come to shove you stand behind your family.
    All- time moment to me has to be the SB win.
    Player Namath and Curtis and i have to throw in James Hasty.
    Favorite moments man 03 snow game vs Pitt, 68 AFC Title Game,Bucs game with Curtis pass to Chrebet and 98 game in Buffalo to clinch AFC East. Oh how could i forget the Monday Night Miracle and that crazy game vs the Packers in 02 while the Pats took care of the Fish.
    GO JETS!!!!

3. By GaryC on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

the line say no more,say no more,when mentioning the super bowl win leads me to say,what have the jets done since to say more,say more.

4. By GaryC on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Being a big younger then some of my brethren on this blog,when 1963 is brought up,the two things in sports I remember was the Giants getting swamped by the Bears in the championship game,and coming home from school to witness Sandy Koufax striking out Harry Bright of the Yankees in the World Series.

5. By GaryC on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Kenny Neil having his best game ever against Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz in their playoff win against the Bengals.

6. By alan on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

in addition to sb beating raiders in 1968 playoff—beating farve for division in 2002—–monday nite miracle—-bucs game with curtis throwing to wayne
    are —jets destroying lynn dickey and packers in 1981
    vinny in his fantastic season in 1998
    mark sanchez beating brady in their first game in 2009
    sanchez beating palmer and rivers in playoffs in 2009
    sanchez beating manning and brady in playoffs in 2010
    chad destroying manning in 2002 playoffs
    jets signing namath under the goal posts dec 31 1964 after the bowl game—–the list goes on and on
    beating the great andrew luck 35-9 and so many more
    jets beating marino many times

7. By scjoe on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

64, I think you will find Mel Kipers article on ESPN.com very interesting, it pretty much addresses the “rebuilding” issue you and I have “discussed” Yes, I know exactly who and what Mel Kiper is, but what he says makes perfect sense. Read it!

8. By fred on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

You remain loyal to your family & you remain loyal to your team. Of course the best moment was the SB I was only 12 but I envisioned many more. Favorite games would have to be the Cincinnati Game in 09, the 16-9 win over the pats & the playoff runs of 09 & 10. So many favorite players but it all started with Namath, Martin, Klecko would be the top 3. Some odd ball Favs would be Verlon Biggs, I am not sure why but as a kid I would always imagine myself as Sauer over Maynard , & Bruce Harper

9. By IRA on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE,
    Yeah the Titans were fun to watch. One of my favorites was Art Powell. Hard to really pinpoint just a few outstanding moments over the past 50 years but I really think walking out of Lucas Oil after Folk kicked the game winner and the following week driving home from Foxboro were two of the most memorable moments I have had. Also in 2000 when Abraham stripped Bledsoe of the ball late on a MNG to beat the Pats when BB came to the Meadowlands after he walked out as the HC of the NYJ was sweet. I could go on and on. Sorry

10. By Jersey Rich on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

All Time Favorite Jets – Namath, Maynard, Caster, Toon, Walker, McNeil, Klecko, Gastineau… Many, Many exciting moments from that group.

11. By Lance on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Exactly right. A family with green blood, always. Favorite player Namath, Mehl, Todd and many more. Favorite moment(s) 3: Being in Shea for 16-15 win over Dolphins on Todd TD with 16 secs. Being in Shea when Namtath came off bench but lost to 49ers. Seeing Namath in camp when I was 9.

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Like I just said on the story below this, I’m glad we’re apparently not going to get a shot at Fred Davis. If Jet fans are afraid to let a high-drafted TE and Cumberland fight it out for the starting job during a yr in which we’re going nowhere anyway, a yr that’s likely to be the yr before we start with a new QB, when WILL they be ready to groom homegrown stars the right way? Reminds me of folks in Washington whose reluctance to cut any spending tips you off to how likely they are to ever come close to wiping out the deficit…

13. By Karan on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Davis snubs Jets, cancels his visit.

14. By IRA on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Cant believe Fred Davis cancelled his visit with the Jets. Didn’t look over the free agents list of TE’s but it sure seems like they will have to draft one now. If Josh Baker is heathy and not with anotehr team they should bring him back. I think in MM’s system he could be a good player in several roles.

15. By Carl on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Curtis Martin in the snow against the Steelers and Chad against Payton in playoffs 41-0 Go faster Jets!

16. By Karan on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

If we can get one of these two players in the draft: Dion Jordan or Chance Warmack, I’d be ecstatic. If we can also end up with even one of the following players: Jonathan Cooper, Zach Ertz, Jarvis Jones or Margus Hunt, that would also be great.

17. By Karan on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

The Jets do need a veteran TE, I prefer a younger crew but a veteran presence should be needed. Wouldn’t mind signing a Chris Cooley, Michael Hoomanawanui, Kevin Boss, Travis Beckhum even to a 1-year deal. But first things first, I prefer drafting a TE. I hope not making a push to resign Keller doesn’t backfire on the Jets. I do like Cumberland though, he’s shown to be a receiving TE.

18. By GaryC on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Karan,you bring in Hoomanawanui,you reunite him and Cumberland who played together with Arelious Benn on the Illinois teams of a few years ago,when Cumberland was a wide receiver,number 17 in your program.

19. By scjoe on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

64, from 2 stories back. Poor choice of words! I am not “resisting reality” I gave you reality based on past history. What better form of reality is there? I gave you reality when I stated that there are no guarantees in the draft, no matter who is doing the selecting. I gave you reality with the number of high round busts not only this team, but many teams over the years. That IS reality. What resisting reality is, IMO, is one who believes that a change in FO personnel, beginning with the GM, will automatically cure all ailments. Sure we have a full compliment of draft choices. And? Those draft choices were in place long before the new GM was. All I am saying is, let’s wait for a body of work. I never said I didn’t like the choice.

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

For any who are wondering, yeah, I’m much more into the Idzik-led future than the past. scjoe, I don’t have ESPN’s special Insider thing and don’t have time to get it now, so tell me the gist of what Kiper says. I loved the introduction in which he indicted Rex and the Jets for not simply understanding that you can’t win with an O that’s inept both running and passing and especially the part where he said the notion of “using the run to set up the pass” is totally outdated, as I’ve said for Rex’s entire tenure. Karan, I wouldn’t fret about Keller, if he was gonna be great he’d know where the 1st-down marker is by now. Start thinking of us actually drafting an up-to-date TE and grooming him minus Rex over the next few yrs.

21. By IRA on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Karan, Warmack is the way to go but i don’t think the brass thinks OG in 1st rd but they should. Too many ? with the PR’s. You can find one in the 2nd rd and not Hunt. I have a bad feel about this guy. Too much boom or bust for me.
    Back to memories i will take you guys back to Aug 69 at the Yale Bowl and to this day even though it was a preseason game they spanked the Giants and i can still see Mike Battle running and then 11/74 beating the Giants again in OT. Priceless!

22. By scjoe on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Whether or not Fred Davis would have been a good signing is now a moot point! The reason he decided to cancel his visit is a more valid one. Could it be because of the circus atmosphere around this team? Could it be the shortcomings at the QB position? Could it be because he believes the NYJ are not serious about competing in 2013? Could other FAs follow suit? Those answers are more of a concern then if Davis would have been a good fit. For those who oppose the signing of ANY FAs, this must have been heaven for you, let’s just wait and see if this becomes a trend before you celebrate.

23. By russ on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Reading about Jet history is similar to reading the Who’s Who of Botswana, or the Polich army greatest victory book…pretty thin reading at best….We love you anyway Jets!

24. By fran'scan on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Glad to hear David stayed in WAS & Karan I agree we need a vet presence with someone for a 1-2 year deal. That will also mean we will likely draft one and this year has a lot of good potential. Cumberland will surprise many this year. Don’t regret Keller, he’ll do nothing with hartline, bess and wallace there.Gary, I hope your smoke and mirrors point about Margus Hunt is true but with an egomaniac like Rex, he would love nothing more than to pat himself on the back if he works out. He tried to resurrect Gholston and failed miserably. dont get me wrong, i am all for player development, just not with an early pick [see Ducasse project ] Not every raw talent will be a JPP. Slauson just signed with the bears folks, we need Moore back.

25. By MeanGreen on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

GUYS I JUST HAVE ONE QUESTION IF ALL THE PLAYERS WE LET GO ARE SO BAD, NO GOOD, OLD, SLOW, ETC THEN HOW COME ALMOST ALL OF THEM FIEND NEW HOMES SO FAST MOSTLY STARTING???????. LOT OF COMP PICKS COMING OUR WAY NEXT YEAR.

26. By IRA on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Not surprised at all but as of now the Jets have made a mistake letting Slauson leave. There is no way with a straight face they can tell me that Colon and Ducasse are the same or better than Moore and Slauson. I don’t care how good your WR, RB or QB are (and right now we have questions at all) without an OL you can’t win. They must draft Warmack if possible. This team needs to be built from the lines out. games are won in the trenches. Get a stud OL and DT early and then fill in with your skill position players.

27. By Stevesc on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Ira, I agree 100% regarding the need for a solid offensive line and that letting Slauson go was a mistake…I’ve been saying for months as you have that the qb, wr’s and rb’s will not be successful without a solid o line. I hope they draft some guards, because what the Jets have now is suspect at best, and not in any way a long term solution.

28. By Frank on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Unbelievably STUPID letting Slauson walk. I am steaming mad about this! Ducasse is a joke period end of story and Colon can’t stay healthy what is going on here?????
    Idzik you build a team on the line of scrimmage that is how its done!!!!!!! Letting two home grown young tough studs in Devito and Slauson walk is just plain STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry but so far I am not impressed. These are guys you keep!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, you’re resisting a few things and they add up to a big chunk of reality. I’ll list a few: (1) The proven success of the best NFL franchises by way of holding on to draft picks, picking wisely, and only turning to FA for key players that still have yrs left once the basis of a great team has been built (2) A non-superstitious belief that a new FO can draft well even if previous ones haven’t (3) The obvious fact that our W-L record this yr means squat, which almost every Jet posting already realizes, even if some aren’t happy about it (4) The eminently sound idea of giving Idzik 2 yrs just to scratch the surface of rebuilding this incredibly stunted, sorry franchise. See my next post for more on that…

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Slauson is one of the only recent draft picks of consequence who, thanks to Callahan, worked out to any real extent, much like Kerley who was championed by Schotty. But he’s still yet another “Jet great” who no team wanted to give more than a 1-yr deal. When we lose a guy who goes somewhere and gets a 4-yr deal for a lot of $ and his name isn’t Revis, let me know. I also like the take on this from this poster on ESPN: “With all these departures and the short-term fill-ins signed to replace them, it sure seems like Idzik is setting things up for a new coaching staff being able to pick their own players next year…” — yes, and that’s a GOOD thing! And it’s also why I won’t be surprised if our higher QB pick comes in 2014 like it should.

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

MeanGreen, drop the CAPS and start thinking. First of all, I don’t see anybody jumping to sign Pace, Scott, Smith, and others who ate up a lot of cap. Second, DeVito was absurdly overpaid by a KC team that for some weird reason named Alex Smith thinks they’re suddenly close. (It’s fitting DeVito would go to a team suffering from the same illness we’re just getting over.) Keller and Slauson were signed to pretty cheap 1-yr deals and are on a short leash even if they start which, frankly, I don’t see as a certainty. A high-draft pick at either G or TE could steal a starting job from those two like Wilson did from Flynn. If you ever saw Mean JOE Green play, you’re old enough to know you risk all for excellence, not live in safe mediocrity.

32. By Karan on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Can’t believe Slauson signed with Chicago. Did NY even make a push?? Thats a solid OL gone now for 1 year! He couldn’t return here for a year?? Same thing with Keller, a one year deal. Im all for drafting Warmack now and bringing back Brandon Moore. This team needs OL help really badly. Thats most important. At least re-sign Edwards now. I really do like Idzik but moves like these which Jets could have taken advantage of but didn’t are mind-boggling.

33. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

The best run-on sentence post I’ve ever seen and one with which I totally agree, from a guy on ESPN: “Slauson was average at best not a big loss it’s amazing how people rag on the Jets for losing so many starters the same people who make fun of the Jets for having no talent you can’t make it up who did the Jets really lose that was going to make a difference this year its about building a great team not an average team that goes 8-8 every year.” Also, I predict the Jets will go nowhere near Jones and his spinal condition. Taking him would be a damn-the-injuries-or-off-the-field issues move right out of the Mr T/Rex playbook (Greene, K Ellis, White, etc.).

34. By Purpleflash on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Most or all of my big Jet memories have been mentioned by all you guys (excepting of course my one time in attendance at She, Jets vrs Colts Circa 1975 with Wesley Walker scorint two TD’s taking one over the middle and taking it to the house and also another 70 or 80 yard bomb also to the house)…

But the one not mentioned…that must be mentioned was “THE HEIDI GAME!”. (I don’t think that movie was ever shown on national broadcast TV ever again).

35. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

More addition by subtraction from Idzik, scjoe. Notice that we’re NOT going after Flynn, who’s about to join OAK, just like we’re apparently NOT going after Kolb and DIDN’Tgo after Smith. What do all those QBs have that Garrard doesn’t? At least some shot of being taken seriously when they say they want to be the future at their position for their new teams. Whereas Idzik instead signed Garrard, who’s probably good enough to hold the fort in a rebuilding yr while Sanchez is eased out, with the big plan to draft a QB high maybe this yr but definitely next yr. Look me in the eye and tell me Mr T would be doing anything like this if he was still here, and if all this doesn’t also mean that Idzik couldn’t care less “what Rex wants.”

36. By MIKE on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

If the Jets get the Bucs 1st and 2nd rounder this year I hope it goes.

#9 CB Dee Millner, Jets loose the best CB in the league and draft the best player in the draft to replace him.

#13 OLB Jarvis Jones, he will most certainly slip to #13 especially if our Jets pass on him at #9

#41 TE Tyler Eiffert, no real depth at that position.

#45 G Larry Warford, with Slauson with the Bears and Ducasse being terrible, Warford starts day one.

or

#9 WR Travon Austn, a bit of a reach but most explosive player in draft. Millner will most likely be gone at this point.

# 13 CB Xavier Rhodes, starts day one a CB alongside Cro

#41 OLB Barkavious Mingo, got a feeling he will drop down draft boards o the 2nd round

#45 G

37. By since shea on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Based on who has been let go and the free agents who we did NOT sign, clearly this smells of a rebuild from the draft. I lobbied for O Line, TE and OLB for months now. If thats where we go this draft, then Idzik could be the breath of fresh air competence and logic that we need.

38. By scjoe on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

64, I inadvertently posted the Kiper remarks 2 stories back in the “Play for pay” story about Austin Howard. Go back and take a look. I can hear you now “what does Mel Kiper know, blah, blah, blah” LOL. Just take a look, think about it, and keep an open mind.

39. By scjoe on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Have to agree Ira, under the circumstances, it was a bad move not to resign Slauson. An even worse move would be not to resign Moore for at least one more year. As of right now, the guard situation is terrible at best. It is hard to imagine any improvement in the offense in 2013 with the 2 starting guards that are penciled in right now. I don’t even want to begin to imagine what it would be like if God forbid Mangold or Brick went down for any length of time. Just hope the brain thrust realizes this.

40. By scjoe on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

MeanGreen, I think there was a mixed bag there. All things considered I think a few of those players should have been brought back based on who they were replaced with, Slauson or Moore, Keller, and DeVito right off the top of my head because I see absolutely no upgrade at any of those spots.

41. By JETFAN73 on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

I was 12 on 3/28/63. I remember the Sack Exchange, Blinka, Buttle, and Mehl and the nosebleed seats we had in Shea Stadium, where the Jets had a real home advantage. Thank you Pat Leahy. As much as I love Broadway Joe my alltime favorite Jet is Joe Klecko, a bull of a man who helped # 99 get his sacks. Chad Pennington deserved to be in the 50. He did everything to help the team. An honorary mention should go to Dennis Byrd.

42. By ronbo on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

IRA,I know you like Warmack but again, i would urge caution as alot of the so-called experts have him dropping. Cooper on the other hand is riseing so if we do go G I’m not sure Warmack is the right guy.He has weight problems!MEANGREEN,the players who left have all signed short term contracts for much less than what they sought from us!As we finished 6-10 with them last year I dont see why you think their leaving represents any type of problem in Jetville? Good riddence!

43. By russ on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Ira…Thats the plan…solid foundation this year skill players next…our special teams last year was filled with wakons which meant nothing but money spent on stars instead of talent…

44. By GaryC on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,take it with a grain of salt where these experts say guys are falling,Warmack will be a top ten pick.what scared me was Charles Jones in his mock had us taking Ansah,EGAD.

45. By IRA on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    I don’t think Warmack is getting by the Cards or Biills and you can count on the Cards taking him if they land Palmer as their QB. I would have no problem trading down a pick or two and take Cooper. I am good with either one.

46. By bluecollarconservative3 on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Toooooooooooon!

47. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, I saw the Kiper stuff, scjoe, I get some of his pts. But with every day that Idzik dismantles our sorry roster or allows members of it to go their own ways, the more excited I get. There has never really been a full-on teardown-and-rebuild of this kind in Jet history and it’s long overdue. I think you’ll probably believe a little better after Idzik’s had these next two drafts to work with. Sorry if some can’t wait that long but after almost 45 yrs of mediocrity, I can wait a little longer for greatness!

48. By Connie (Nicholas)Carberg on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

My dad and uncle were team Drs. Starting then, so have so many memories. Sherman Plunkett was the only OL above 300 lbs and back then no one lifted weights. Beating Oakland at Shea to get to Superbowl. Beating Giants in Yale Bowl in exhibition and Namath saying that was THE game to own NY. Bruce Harper becoming the first “third down scatback” by Walt Michaels. The offensive line that protected Namath as good as any. The Sack Exchange, Wes walker, and great running of Freeman McNeil. The story of Wayne Chrebet and getting a shot as a FA. Missing the days when players stayed with same team and they were our Jets. The smarts and accuracy of Chad Pennington, who, when healthy, took us to playoffs and so classy. SHEA STADIUM HOME!

49. By Karan on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Very glad to see Kevin Kolb signing with the Bills, I don’t care if its with a division rival, just as long as he’s not on this roster, its good. Only thing that worries me know is that I’m afraid the Jets just might draft a QB in the first-round this coming draft. I have a feeling they might draft Geno Smith, I certainly hope not. Can be a huge mistake. Just add another veteran and or let Sanchez, Garrad and McElroy battle it out. Besides, I believe Sanchez deserves one more chance with a solid crew around him. You all know that so I won’t get into details, but back to my original point, I hope Jets don’t waste their pick on a QB in the first round. A 3rd round, 4th, beyond that? Thats fine with me.

50. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Ha, Kolb to BUF, Flynn to OAK, Smith safely to KC, and even Cimini, for all his rabble-rousing of anti-Jet gloom and doom, admits that the Jets will go into the draft with the QBs they have. Which actually starts to bring into a focus a win-win scenario for the Green and White: Either we draft a QB this yr to learn behind the guys we have, or we let Sanchez embarrass himself trying to function in exactly the wrong system for a man of his limited talents, the WCO, lose the job to Garrard or McElroy for now, and next yr we go for the big QB pick. And with MIA picking up Grimes, TB still needs Revis! Fitting that the Jets’ rebirth continues on this of all weekends!

51. By Paul on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Oh man I have a lot of fond memories watching really great New York Jets Wins ever since I’ve been a die hard Jets fan.My favorite one has to be when the Jets from the AFL beat the Colts of the NFL in Super Bowl III in 1969 when I was five years old, that’s when I became a Jets fan.The 2nd on has to be Vinnie and the Monday Night Miracle at the Meadowlands against the Dolphines.The Jets have had some very good Quarterbacks over the years following Joe Namath,Ken O’Brian,Boomer Esiason,Vinnie Testeverdi,Chad Pennington, and even though we had him for one year Brett Farve. If Farve wouldn’t have injured his shoulder we would have won the AFC East and made the Playoffs. Curtis Martin,Freeman McNeal,Running Backs and the New York Sack Exchange.

52. By IRA on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

Well our OG needs took a real hit after the Bills signed Kolb last night for a price the Jets i am sure were not going to pay him. Guess if they still want another veteran welcome B Quinn. It also tells you what the Cards and Bills think of Smith. Funny maybe he drops out of the top ten and my hope is the Jets don’t draft him. So now if they can’t get Cooper afer Warmack gets picked by either the Cards or Bills i would hope they can land Brian Winters from Kent State in the 3rd or 4th rd. They MUST now sign a veteran and Moore has not got the offers he thought he would. So if he wants to return they should bring him back not only for his play on the field but his veteran leadership in hte locker room which they have none right now.

53. By IRA on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

Now that Grimes signed a 1 year deal at 5.5 mill i have a very hard time believing even if the reports say Tampa is wlling to meet Revis’ contract demands that he will get more the three times the amount of any other CB. Sorry the owners and GM’s have set new salary amounts on positions and he might have to settle for that 10-12 range. At that point nothing will shock me and maybe Tampa picks a CB at 13 and the Jets try to sign him. Anything is possible. Question is does Revis then take the 9 mill this year which is still not chump change and then hope he comes back 100% not gmmie and then tries to hit the free agency market after the 013 season. Everything is on the table right now.

54. By Mike Jet Vet on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

Memories. one good old year to hang our hats on, wish I could say the same for other 40 or so, I also believe letting Slauson/ Devito go was a mistake, at this point anyway..Anyone reading my posts know how I feel about Ducasse,along with K-wilson and M-Sanchez,.Klecko was one of the best Jets ever, Pro Bowls at 3 different positions . where.s Marty lions on that list.Tom64 this is where your posts take on a new life one day at a time, let me get this straight, you hate the signing of any over the hill Vets long in the tooth FA’s Etc,,.yet you think Garrard signing was a good move seems like a contradiction to me ??. I mean agreed anyone is a good signing over MS, So I didn’t mind, but you strange

55. By scfromny on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

I agree with JetFan73 about Klecko. He was a classy guy. I used to see him in the morning at a deli in W.Islip. In person he was huge. Some things about the old days we will never see again, like going to Bills Meadowbrook after home games and mingling with the players, before they became prima donna stars.

scjoe; Yes a few players could have been brought back BUT the few quality players wanted oo much, like Landry and Devito. I still think we are missing the boat on some cheap LBs & Safeties.

Waiting till 2014, the good OL players get a year older. Not worried about the passing game untill we get a “passer” Pro bowl WRs & OL don’t count if your QB is no good. I would have preferred a chance on Young instead of Garrard.

56. By IRA on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

While the answer for a TE is not in free agency they will have to bring in some veteran at least for competition and i would keep an eye on Dante Rosario. Hey they say three times are better the one and they have already signed 2 ex-Chargers who have had injury issues and will come cheap. So i think Rosario could be a good option.

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

Connie, thanks for your great post, I love all of it, especially THE LAST THREE WORDS! MJV, I don’t really have to explain to you what Idzik’s doing, do I? What does Garrard have in common with just about every guy we’ve signed, certainly every guy that we don’t have any long-terms plans for? i.e. every guy but Goodson. What they have in common is CHEAP, 1-YR DEALS! What I’ve been trying to tell scjoe is blue-chip FA’s don’t mean squat for us right now for the same reason Revis doesn’t, they’re not gonna matter on a team that has to be totally rebuilt and won’t be seriously competing for at least 2 yrs. Maybe some of you guys will get it when Rex is fired and you see that Idzik’s planning more long-term, starting with his 1st 2 drafts.

58. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

Ira, you tell it to scjoe and some of these other folks, Rosario is exactly the kind of cheap vet option at TE that Idzik, judging by the looks of the guys he’s signed already, might bring in, someone who in no way interferes with the building of an envisioned, seriously competitive Jet team of about 3 yrs from now.

59. By MIKE on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

With free agent QB’s going to Bills , Chiefs and Raiders, the pressure for Jets to select Geno Smith at 9 will be there. Please Mr. Idzik do not select a QB in the 1st round this draft.
    Jets won’t take O line in 1st round.
    New favourite pick is Tavon Austin. Jets desperately need a playmaker.

60. By fran'scan@msn.com on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

Some interesting posts and IRA you just brought me to a very interesting point in your comment today on draft CB. Wouldn’t surprise me if on draft day … Revis and our no.9 pick this year for TB no. 13 pick and then their 1st and 2nd round picks next year. I think TB will need to show they are getting something out of this other than Revis who is still questionable if he will return to form. Draft is only 3.5 weeks away and I am sure no. 24 will be a buc after that weekend. Good riddance. Revis is a great player but not worth the risk. I for one think Idzik is going to right the ship. We don’t need “a” character, but a man with character and the know how and guts to make wise decisions. Go Jets !!!

61. By scjoe on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

64, first lets talk about Slauson. Yes, he is average at best, agree! Question is, what is Duccasse? What is Colon? Next, on reality, picking wisely and holding on to draft picks? Sure that is reality, who ever disputed that? Certainly not me. Next one, a new FO can draft well even if those before them have failed, absolutely! But can you or anyone else guarantee it? Is there a chance they don’t draft well? Next, our W-L record this year means nothing? Only if you are a NYJ fan and you want to see your team win as opposed to losing. Win at ALL cost, even if it means losing the #1 overall pick! Next, giving Idzik 2 years to “rebuild” this franchise? I would say you have to give him “at least” that before evaluating him.

62. By scjoe on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

64, on the Kiper story, I think where you and I disagree mostly is the idea that simply gutting your roster, which you believe Idzik is doing, is with out a doubt the best way to go. That can only be true if those you replace the former with are clear cut upgrades. So far, I have seen no evidence of that what so ever. You can’t say it is cap related because there is not that much of a discrepancy in many of the contracts. At least those I have seen. If you feel that they are in a total rebuild mode, explain Garrard, Colon, Barnes, and Garay? Hold the fort? Why? If you are “rebuilding” do it! Start immediately! This is why I say, “maybe there is a method to the madness, I just don’t know what it is, YET”. Do you?

63. By IRA on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

Now with the Bills and soon to be Cards out of the QB market early and the Raiders get Flynn there is a very good chance Smith will be there at 9 if the Jets stay with that pick. This could play out good and the Jets might be able to get some team to trade up to get him or it could turn out bad if the Jets really have any idea of picking him. This draft is starting turn into a very interesting first rd for Jets fans.

64. By scjoe on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

SCfromNY, agree on Landry, maybe even DeVito to a point. But the biggest question I have is on Slauson and Moore, and how anyone can come to the realization that Colon and Duccasse are upgrades. From where I sit they are both absolute downgrades. So much so that I would hate to even begin to imagine what could happen to the QB, no matter who it may be. Unless something different materializes at that spot, that to me is the biggest head scratcher.It effects more then just those 2 spots.

65. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

An ESPN post on Mr T that I agree with (except re 2006) and which describes the WRONG approach to FA, scjoe: “Aside from the 2006 draft which was the best in team history and Revis in 2007, he not only selected poorly, he treated draft picks as if they were valueless. Throughout his career he relied heavily on FA to make up for his drafting blunders. He consistently failed objectively to evaluate the status of the roster, each year perceiving he was 1 or 2 players away from a title. His decision-making was as much based on the size of the media splash made by an acquisition as it was by the quality of the player. One of the worst GMs in the history of the sport.”

66. By Kurt on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

Born in 1982 I’ve never seen any type of championship from this team. I love my team either way win or lose.Some of my all time favorite Jets are from the Coslet/Kotite era & I wish some of them would get some due for being the athletes that they were despite how bad the teams were.

Rob Moore was a big time athlete. He also had some pretty productive years in a Jets uniform. I’d like to see him get a little more love.

Also love Aaron Glenn.Thrilled to see him back involved w/ the front office

67. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, now you’re coming clean, you either don’t understand rebuilding or don’t approve of it. Fine, but that’s been the Jet loser way basically since Joe or at least since O’Brien retired. Looking to “win at all costs” every yr, instead of de-emphasizing winning for a yr or 2 in favor of rebuilding, is how Mr T and Rex got us into this mess, as the ESPN post I reproduce above says about falsely believing a team is “1 or 2 players” away when it’s not. So the disagreement that we have is a global one that reduces talk of individual players to small potatoes. But I’ll address a bit of that in my next post. Ira, get ready for a new Jets org in which a QB picked 3rd or 4th who doesn’t work out is no sin and another is picked the next yr.

68. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

As to the guys Idzik’s gotten and let go, scjoe, I know you’re Italian as am I, but you’re seeing things as hysterically as Saro Urzi in Petri’s SEDUCED AND ABANDONED, which I watched last night. (Stefania Sandrelli awesome as always.) Compare Garrard’s deal with Smith’s on KC. Garay’s with DeVito on KC. Barnes with that of Dumervil, a guy Mr T and Rex woulda broken the bank for ’cause we’re so “close.” When you need as many as 12 starters (that’s everyone’s estimate, not just mine) and at least 30 new guys over the next few yrs (THAT’s my estimate), you don’t run around like a madman trying to sign a few high-priced free agents, just like you don’t try to lock your daughter up in a Sicilian town when she looks like Stefania Sandrelli.

69. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

Correction, since I know some of you folks (GaryC?) are sharp-eyed enough on even non-football matters to catch this typo: That’s Pietro Germi on SEDUCED AND ABANDONED, not Elio Petri, my mind was partly on the latter with respect to another great old movie. (I know, they sound like old Giants linebackers, but they’re actually Italian film directors.)

70. By scfromny on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

I hope the Jets get the Buc’s 1 &3. First = OLB & OL, 2nd = QB (I like Glennon even with slight build) 3rd = another OLB & TE. The rest best player hoping for WR, S, RB, & OL.

My hope especially running the west coast offense is that McElroy shines. Remember year 1 he was injured and last year, “Mark gives us the best chance to win.”. If Sanchez has stunk the last 2 years emagine his pout when he doesn’t get Rex’s love.

Will we have a good year in 2013? Probably not BUT let’s stop being laughable.

71. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Well since there’s no real Jet news..which is good news now-a-days..LOL..Let’s debate about players going to certain teams and if they fit or not. I like Palmer to AZ..at least he’ll have a WR to throw the ball too. Bradshaw to steelers looks like a nice fit there too. But there’s 1 LB that I think would be a perfect match. Urlacher to the Giants, they need a Mike and he would provide the leadership that LB corps could use. James Harrison may join the colts, with Landry back there playing SS that could also be a good combo. (But you can count on at least 2 15yd flags each)

72. By Carolina Jet Fan on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

scjoe- colon has a super bowl ring as a starting RT for the steelers. I’m aware of the achilles and knee injurys and thats the gamble-if he stays healthy, a definate upgrade.While we are stolling down memory lane I want to mention Klecko in the 1980 mud bowl game, playing on one leg- an outstanding effort!

73. By GaryC on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

JetFanTom,you could of been putting in an Elio’s pizza when you made that comment,smelling the melted cheese as it is about to come out of oven.

74. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

And as for that “Jets Logos Through the Years” thing on the home page, YES, the Jets should retrieve the old Jet airplane logo from the ’80s and update the design to look more 21st-century, just like we should update from a HC who pals around with his players whether they’re good or bad and says ridiculous things like “If it was up to me [by the way, Rex, IT IS up to you!], I’d just run the ball…”

75. By IRA on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Still think they will sign a veteran safety and if they can’t get D Landry then I would love to see them bring back Abe Elam. Nice player who knows Rex’s system because he played for Rob Ryan in Cleveland and Dallas and then they could draft his brother Matt to form the first brother safety tandem in the NFL.
    As for the Revis stuff I think like reports have said Tampa appears to be the team unless somebody comes out of nowhere the last hour. It’s going to be a give and take for both sides and I would be happy with the 13th pick this year and a 2nd rd next year.

76. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Well, scjoe, Heyward-Bey signs with Colts — but for the same kind of 1 yr/$1.5 mil deal that I thought we might offer him. If this means we offered him even less than that, it shows that Idzik’s not wasting a penny on anybody who’s not of major importance. Of course, H-B-s choice might also reflect the fact that someone else on a football team, the QB, is also of major importance — and that our most recent starter at that position is one of the very worst in the NFL.

77. By Karan on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Lets get the O-Line some help. 11 sacks even with McElroy at QB.

78. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Correction, now the reports are that Heyward-Bey got $3 mil for 1 yr from IND, which is probably why we didn’t get him and why some of you will be glad of that. Sounds to me like Idzik offered Keller about $3 mil and MIA came up with the $4.25 that he took instead. Judging by what Idzik signed these other FA’s we just got for, I’ll bet he offered H-B the magic numbers, $1.5 for 1 yr. So sure, scjoe, tell me how Idzik’s not changing the Jet culture. Last yr we had Mr T picking up Schilens and crowing about Schlauderaff, all with a straight face. This yr Idzik plays it cool, unloads old and overrated players, spends very little money on cheap stopgap FA’s, and anticipates the drafts of 2013 and 2014 — works just fine for me!

79. By ronbo on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe & T64, interesting to see two heavey hitters like you guys going back & forth on Idzik’s early moves(on non moves?) First of all i would urge caution on forming any opinions either way on his early moves.First of all, we must remember he inherited a salary cap mess! Secondly, we must first decipher his long term stratagy before drawing any conclusions.Ya gotta ask yourself, what did this guy say to sell himself to Woody Johnson ? Did he promose a playoff appearence this year?Did he tell Woody he needs a year to right the ship& point it in the right direction? We dont know.What we can infer based on his early moves is it was likely the latter,as all fice aquisistions have been short-term stop gap moves designed to comp pic’s next -

80. By IRA on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Tom, You are so right Idzik is going about rebuilding [sorry to use that word] this team in the right way. Even if i had the room under the cap i would not have paid Heyward-Bey 3 mill for 1 year.
    About the uniforms i loved when Parcells brought back the original helmet they need to stick with that. Those green ones were ok but not the same as those white ones.
    GO JETS!!!!

81. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

64Tom, I’m with you on changing the jet plane logo to make it look more modern. Would like to see some black in the uniforms too..revamp the uniforms like the seahawks did. I remember when the Hawks were just horrible…look at them now..they changed the whole culture over there.

82. By ronbo on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

cont- year and not burden us with long term contracts to players coming off injuries or underwhelming seasons who were looking for big money to remain Jets.Lets look at who we lost, Slauson was avg at best.he was looking for a 4yr @4 mill per.he got a 1 mill 1yr deal? S.Greene got a 1 yr deal for 4 mill.was he worth that to us as a back-up? D.Keller-when healthy a undersized H-back unusuted to play as an in-line T.E comiong off two injuries that limited him to 7 or 8 unproductive games?M.Devito,perhaps the only real loss-but was he worth 4 mill?
    Do we have to talk about C.Pace,B.Thomas or B.Scott? L.Landry was a great hitter who had 4 times the amount of penalty’s than int’s.& more blown coverages than big hits.Y.Bell, hey the guy is -

83. By ronbo on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

cont.- gonna be 36 this season so who long was he gonna be able to play at a high enough level to actually help us? As of this moment we need 2 starters at G, 2 safty’s, a T.E, 2 OLB’s as well as depth at every posisition. Now the big question to us all, does anybody here think we can actually get 7 starters out of this draft aplus a few select F/A’s? No, I didn’t think so. My guess is probably an OLB,a G & a S will be picked early and hopefully start all or most of this year. As much as I want us to win I think its unrealistic to expect us to win more than the 6 games we won this year. So sorry Ira & S.c.Joe but unless we get real lucky in this years draft I think the next year or two will be painful to watch.But I’m excited about 2014.

84. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Well, GaryC, there was a Mastroianni movie in the ’60s called DRAMA OF JEALOUSY which over here they called THE PIZZA TRIANGLE. scjoe, read EA’s story on RBs on the site today. Notice the new emphasis on faster RBs who can catch the ball. Me and few other near-50-yr fans believe Idzik hired MM or, as one friend of mine said, Idzik told Rex you got nuthin’ to do with the hire ’cause you’re history soon and you’re a D coach anyway. And along those lines, I believe if Rex WAS still in charge, out of all those RBs listed in story, we’d be most likely to draft…the FB. This is, after all, the guy who decided John Conner was the key to the future. Similarly, Ira, I keep telling you what Rex likes no longer matters, on O, D, or anything else.

85. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Tom64. I’m on your side when it comes to Mike -T plus most decisions made by this org,player wise that is, for instance Big Jenks waste of 60 million Pouha another waste he hardly hit the field.K-Wilson. Ducasse. VG. all here way to long. I’m not getting on your case, I just can’t sit back and read your dictation to some here on how your thoughts on on building (our) team what Idzik is doing is the best way and the best way only. How about taking a step back and look into his building of Seattle guess his whole persona has changed since arriving at Atlantic Health center.. I for one agree with Ira and Scjoe. eventually we’ll see if what he’s doing is good or bad. But I don’t nor want to wait until 2014..

86. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I for one may be far off base, some here or most may disagree, but if we get Value picks this draft from a Revis trade. and Smith or Manuel are still up, I believe Manuel will be our @ 9 or a possible@13 I said this awhile ago, QB is as Important as any position, some will say maybe the most Important. so why not.. We”ll have 6-7 picks to get OLB. DE. RB TE. help . I also believe with Da’Brick. Mangold colon. one or two good fillins on the team or FA’s Draft we won’t be that bad at OL WE NEED A BIG STRONG ARMED QB with knowledge of defenses, good decision making.footwork. To build around..There is no other position more important to build a team around. that’s a fact.

87. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Here’s an interesting draft that a guy posted on ESPN, presumably subject to a Revis trade for picks:
    1st Round: Warmack (if there), Jones
    Round Two: Larry Warford (G Kentucky)
    Round Three: E.J. Manuel (QB Florida State)
    Round Four: Jordan Reed (TE Florida)
    Round Five: Stepfan Taylor Stanford RB
    Round Six: Kwame Geathers (DT Georgia)
    Round Seven: Johnny Adams (CB Michigan State)
    While I have more questions about Warmack and Jones than the others here, if we were to pick like this, scjoe, would you stop whining about winning now and kinda sorta maybe halfway admit Idzik knows what he’s doing? Or is it just that you can’t wait and wanna WIN IN APRIL?!

88. By GaryC on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Here is another reason to stay away from Ansah,tell me besides Jim McMahon and Vai Sikahema a Player who came out of BYU who made a mark in the NFL,oh yeah,Kurt Goveia,not a long list,People who go to BYU,usually have a higher calling then banging heads on a football field,missionary work and all,will this guy be full board when improving his football play.

89. By GaryC on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

If the Jets go with the best available athlete when there pick comes up don’t forget Richardson from Missouri,Depth is lacking now with no Pouha and Devito,and unknown quantities in Ellis and Harrison,especially if the jets spend more time in a Four three.Richardson can be better then Star Loutuele and has less medical issues.

90. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Well, it’s nice to to see agreement from some folks I haven’t agreed with lately, including a half- (on Mr T) agreement from you, MJV. Look, I’m sure not gonna say Idzik walks on water just yet but let me put it this way: Did ANY of us REALLY expect a new GM to unload so many guys so fast and resist the kind of flashy FA signings Mr T specialized in? C’mon, folks, you KNOW the honest answer to that is a resounding NO! Now, some might say what he’s doing is a disaster but I just don’t think we’re gonna get anywhere without a couple drafts, a lot of picks in each, and a lot of cap space. Mr T actually tried to defend the ludicrous Sanchez extension by saying he’d planned to cut Pace, Scott, and Maybin, as if that woulda been any big deal.

91. By ronbo on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Tom64,yeah,I saw that draft too & I could live with that. MJV depending on how things fall on day 1 of the draft I believe G.Smith may be there for us. He is not #1 on my wish list but if all the OLB’s are gone I would prefer him to any of the G’s as he is more of a potential difference maker.S.C.Joe & I have been touting E.J.Manuel as I believe he has the highest ceiling in terms of potential.The thing that scares me about all this years Q.B’s is the diversity of opinions on all of them.That being the case is why I disagree with you about picking either of them at #9. We need our top 3 or 4 pic’s to be immediate starters & there is no way Rex in his walk year will allow a rookie Q.B. to start. Can we waste a high pic on a guy who wont play

92. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Ira and Allen, we undoubtedly have bigger things to worry about. (I certainly do, anticipating medical expenses while chaos reigns in terms of health-care for us independent contractors.) But just to weigh in…yeah, I grew up with the old Jet decal on the helmet. I was never that crazy about it, either, envying really cool helmets like on the Chargers, Rams, Chiefs, and even the Saints. (That’s just my Fellini/Antonioni/Bertolucci artsy Italian thing goin’ on.) So I think we should lose the decal and update the two decals that had the word Jets written with the suggestion of a Jet. Not as up for black in the uniform but I will admit, teams that have some of that sure do look serious on the field. Of course, it helps to be the Ravens.

93. By Paul on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Hey Gary C, I see you must have forgotten about Steve Young, he went to BYU and that is even part of his ancestry so. Jim McMahon wasn’t that bad of a quarterback. I really think that we have some really good quarterbacks and I’m kind of hoping that McElroy will show that he’s capable of running that offense quite well. So the Jets don’t have any needs to draft a quarterback I would say the next couple of years. Those draft picks should be used to strengthen the OL and Defense,WR and RB. I also see Ellis having a pretty good season this year. I think he’s ready to have a breakout year to be honest.

94. By scjoe on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

MJV, I am very high on Manuel, but not at #9 or # 13 (if they make the trade) What I think would be ideal is if they do get the # 13 from TB, trade down to the bottom of the first and select Manuel there. I don’t think he would be there at 42. I think a trade down from #13 to the mid to high 20s should get them a 2nd rounder. How great would that be?

95. By scjoe on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Ron, one point I totally agree with, contrary to what 64 thinks, is that you simply can not judge the new GM now, or anytime soon. So what if he didn’t spend money on a particular FA, that in itself is not a good enough reason to anoint him the new Bobby Beatherd, Dick Steinberg, or Ozzie Newsome. No use even debating the evaluation process for at least 12-18 months, unless of course half his draft picks don’t make the final cut. Then he becomes fair game.

96. By scjoe on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

64, for some reason Randy didn’t print my post from yesterday in reply to your whining about the fact that I don’t “understand” rebuilding, and unlike you, I want to win at all cost, and the fact that you would rather “rebuild” then WIN. I don’t remember the exact content, but it must have been a classic, for Randy’s eyes only.

97. By Randy Lange on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, everything I received from you the past few days has been posted.

98. By scjoe on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

64, first, no G in round 1. I am OK with Jones if he is cleared by the team doctors. Second EJ Manuel will NOT be there in round 3. Third, very unlikely Jordan Reed will be there in round 4. Fourth, If Marcus Lattimore is still there in round 5, I would rather go with him. And last but certainly not least, NO, I don’t want to win in April, like you do, I want to win in Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec. Because that’s when it counts. Aside from that, you are good.

99. By GaryC on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Paul,yes,kudos on listing Young,how did I overlook him,Still,the number of BYU grads is not sufficient in my opinion to select one as high as number nine.

100. By ronbo on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, I’m with you 100% on Idzik’s grace period. If he pulls off a good draft all will be joyful inJjetville.On the other hand a Tannenbaum like disaster will certianly make the natives restless(to say the least!).I see no point in criticiseing his early moves because none of us here are privey to his game long term plan. I am also with you concerning your above draft thoughts. Obviously, there are some “if’s” to be concerned with but your post above is spot on. It’s amazing to read the diversity of opinions on both JJones & E.J.Manuel but to me the eyeball test is the one I believe in & these guys make to many plays to ignore their ability as football players. Your above scenerio would indeed give jet fans reason to get excited abou

101. By scjoe on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Sorry Randy, I think I know what happened while using my lap top out of town.

102. By Randy Lange on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

No problemo, scjoe.

103. By scjoe on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

64, you continue to use the phrase Idzik “unloaded” or got rid of so many players, that is not 100% true, and you know it. Most of those players contracts expired and simply followed the money like most FAs do. So why do you pretend that Idzik came in and cleaned house when it is simply not the case?

104. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

You’re still right up there with the crowd in D.C. when it comes to building up straw men and tearing them down, scjoe, though I see you waffling like the D.C. folks too. Now instead of gnashing your teeth over the loss of a bunch of lousy, aging, overpaid players, you’re saying it’s a sin to be optimistic about Idzik for a yr to a yr and a half. Now you’re admitting that resisting expensive FA’s this yr is smart but not so smart that we should get excited. I predict the last castle to crumble will come after we draft well, develop some good young players, and win few games in 2013 but also fire Rex, stop being a joke to the league and our fans, and look forward to 2014 with more optimism than in yrs. By then you’ll pretty much get it…

105. By scjoe on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Ron, nice to see we closed the gap a little. Couldn’t agree more about the fact that “if” Idzik hits nothing but home runs this draft everybody will be happy, me included. BUT, on the other hand, if he does not, and if half the draft class don’t even make the final cut, do you think some who already have him walking on water will jump ship just as quickly as they did with Mangini and Ryan? OR, will they pin the blame on Rex Ryan simply for being there? I hope we don’t have to find out the answer to those questions, but you simply never know until everything is in the books.

106. By scjoe on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

64, you are consistent at least, but so am I. First, ALL of those players who “decided” to move on were NOT aging or over the hill, some were, yes. Not all. Of course I am not talking about the over the hill gang. And I am not saying it is a sin, or condemning optimism at all. I may be in the process of condemning one placing the new GM up on the proverbial pedestal at this point in time, but not for me optimistic.

107. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

scjoe resorts to semantics to disguise how he’s walking back his initial outrage over Idzik’s failure to hold onto a lot of mediocre players. Remember, even the venerated Ira advocated the rich multi-yr deal that Pouha got in 2012, while I said offer him a cheap 1-yr deal and no more. But back to semantics: What’s the difference between, say, trading guys and just offering them so little that they sign elsewhere? Have you forgotten how many posters and even sportswriters (Cimini, for one) said that re-signing DeVito was “a must”? This is what Alan Watts called in Zen lore “the no-gate barrier” — the obstacle that seems formidable until you walk past it, at which point it seems as puny as it always was. Be Here Now and Unload Weak Jets!

108. By scjoe on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

64, you are very selective in your use of words, terms, and phrases to substantiate your arguments while downplaying mine. But that is just a smoke screen that I see right through. The real fact of the matter is, there are literally hundreds of NFL players who are given overvalued contracts, Pouha is not an anomaly. It is all about guaranteed money today in the NFL. Now, I’m not 100% sure what the cap hit was for releasing Pouha, but I would think it wasn‘t substantial, and considering his back injury along with his age it was a no brainer that even the former GM, shortcomings and all, would “probably” have done himself.

109. By ronbo on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

S.C.JOE,I’m not sure he has to hit 7 H.R’s but if we have another disaster like the last 5 or 6 he’s gonna start feeling the heat.All in all the jet fan base has been very patient with only 3 or 4 AFC championship game appearences over the last 40 years? I’m getting the sence that patients has worn very thin at this point.I read an interesting trade scenerio on “FAN SIDED today:Jets swap pk#9 to T.B.for their #12. Jets then get T.B’s 1st,2nd(if Revis plays a certian(unspecified)% of plays.Plus gets T.B’s4th & 6th rd.picks regardless.What do you think of that?

110. By Jm. on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

no prob with what he has done. santonio has to go next…play the draft conservative..with this many needs I don’t see how you can miss but I like warmack…milliner..and vacarro…maybe j.jones if we can move back several spots.

111. By ronbo on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, ooops, the picks the Jets get in that T.B.trade are all 2014 picks.I know thats alot to ask Jet fans to wait that long but if we hang on to all our picks plus get the 4 from T.B plus we should get 4 ot 5 comp picks for the guys we lost to F/a’s we could be looking at a S.F like 15 picks in next years draft? So if your looking ahead we could be looking at a Jadaveon Clowney stareing us in the face with our #1 pick next year? How cool would that be? Who know’s we might have a choice of Johnny Football or Teddy Bridgewater too?

112. By scjoe on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Ron, I would say that the fan base is getting “extremely” inpatient, yours truly included. If this draft don’t produce at least 3 starters you will start hearing the rumbling one quarter of the way through the season. As for that trade with TB? Let me see if I got it right, Jets send Revis and their #9 this year to TB for their #13 this year, and their 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 6th, next year? Can’t see TB pulling the trigger on that one. Not with the injury hanging over Revis. But if they did, I would take it in a NY minute, factor in the compensatory picks that should be forthcoming in 2014, and it could be a bonanza, providing there are a couple of grand slams in there.

113. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Any Jet fan who’s suffered thru most of this franchise’s seasons for any more than about 15 yrs and can’t wait another couple yrs to build a team the right way is a fan that we can do without, Ronbo and scjoe. I won’t mind if TB gives us 2 picks for 2014 and 1 for 2015 for Revis.

114. By scjoe on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

64, along those same lines, I would say that any NYJ fan that has been a fan for at least 15 years, and would rather see the team regress and fail rather then progress, is a fan that we can do without even more so then those who are becoming increasingly impatient.

115. By ronbo on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe & 64,It appears the trade I mentioned is actually Tampa Bay’s proposal.By makeing us wait till 2014 they expect to contend this year so they expect to draft much later next year.Thus they may be willing to sweeten the pot with more picks thus the 1,2 4 & 6 next yeas vs this years 1 and next years 2 & 4 ? Either way I believe this will likely get done.From a competitive stand point I would prefer a pick this year but in the long run I’m willing to see what Idzik comes up with and give him the benefit of the doubt!

116. By scjoe on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Ron, I would say that no matter what the trade details may be, the NYJ have to come out of it with at least one additional pick in this upcoming draft, whether it be a #2 or a #3 in conjunction with what the get in 2014, they need that additional pick this year!

117. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Read my post on the story ahead of this one, scjoe, in which I distinguish between rooting for failure and tolerating a yr or two of likely failure in the interest of future greatness — a tough one for those who continue to insist that “we’re close” to anything but 4-12 to grasp, I know, but still…

118. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

I agree with everything you say about the Revis trade, scjoe. Of course, it’s easier for me to agree because in addition to liking all your strategizing, I think Revis is exactly the wrong kind of guy to build a team around due to his essential character, of which I’ve seen more than enough…what little there was to see, that is, in between all the whining, bragging on himself, and holding out for amounts of money that could revive a small state’s economy…

119. By scjoe on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

64, believe me, if I thought that for one NY minute that “tolerating failure” for a year or 2 = Greatness after that time period, I would probably feel exactly as you do. But I don’t! I know you said that guarantees are for losers, so call me a loser, but at the same time, show me why I should believe in that logic. Plenty of teams, and their fans have “tolerated failure” for much more then that 2 year period and are STILL tolerating it. Why do you personally believe that for this Jet team it will be different then ALL those others who have “tolerated failure” for so long?

120. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

Because for once in a very long time, scjoe, we’re doing it in a different and much smarter way — primarily and patiently through the draft, not through desperate FA pickups, endless hype, and buckets of mere hope.

121. By scjoe on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

64, with all due respect, when you say we are “patiently and primarily building through the draft” don’t you think we have to see exactly how the first few drafts go before we can “assume” anything? After all, there hasn’t even been one draft yet under the new regime. If it turns out there are 14 home runs hit in the next 2 drafts I would be the first to tell you that you were right. I would be the 2nd jumping for Joy, right behind you. But can we do that right now?

122. By Alan Titan on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Have the jets confirmed the signing of Calvin pace. Apr 18 Alan

Sent from my iPhone

123. By Randy Lange on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Alan, the Jets have not confirmed the signing of Calvin Pace but word of Pace agreeing to terms with the Jets on a new deal was widely reported.

124. By Alan Titan on Apr 21, 2013 | Reply

Did the jets get any cap relief with the revis trade Alan

Sent from my iPhone

125. By RONBO on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Alan Titan, apparently thats the biggest kick in the groin as with the NFL’s convaluted salary cap rules the Jets are completely responsible for Revis’s 2013 salary as it was the Jets who guaranteed it! Ouuuuch!

126. By Alan Titan on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Thank you for responding to me Dbrick just restructured. How much under the cap will the jets be for 2013 and then 2014

How do you see the jets first two picks??? I wanted them to draft warmack at 9 then a PT ot at 13 maybe Pugh. Jets need to boost up tohe OL to the strength it was in 2009 &2010

But I guess having the best cb and a tipsy Is good. But jets need to give Sanchez help. Pardon my spelling typos. I am writing this am hour before the second round

Alan Sent from my iPhone Yuio