• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Barnes Will Put His Speed to the Test as Jets LB

Posted by Randy Lange on April 3, 2013 – 5:46 pm

Antwan Barnes was fronting for several constituencies as he climbed the steps to the top of the auditorium at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center the other day to talk to Eric Allen for Thursday’s new episode of Jets Talk Live.

He had on his navy blue New York Yankees cap and his navy blue Florida International sweats. And everything underneath was green and white.

“It’s a pleasure,” Barnes said in his first public remarks — other than via Twitter — about becoming a Jets linebacker via unrestricted free agency. Signing with the team, he said, was “something that I wanted to do. Rex was trying to get me two years ago but I turned him down. So when the opportunity came up again, I told him I wasn’t going to turn him down this time.”

Barnes’ relationship with the Jets head coach goes back to his first team, the Ravens, who drafted him in the fourth round, 134th overall, in the ’07 draft and added him to their defense, then being coordinated by Rex.

“This is pretty much the only team I wanted to talk to,” Barnes said. “I didn’t see myself going anywhere else,” Barnes said. “From the outside looking in, they needed a pass rusher and I was thinking I could come here and compete and be a pass rusher.”

Barnes, the 6’1″, 251-pounder who grew up in Miami, has some pro personnel analysts who look at his 23.5 sacks in six pro seasons and say, well, he might be able to supply some of that to the Jets. But others take note of the 18.5 sacks he had in his last three seasons with the Chargers — including the eye-opening 11 he had in ’11 as he moved into the starting lineup for a while for the injured Shaun Phillips — and think he’s a rusher on the rise.

AB definitely is a confident player, but he’s also well aware of the competition mantra around Florham Park these days.

“Me being in my seventh year in the league, sometimes you’ve just got to play your role,” he said. “Whatever role they have for me, I’m going to play to the best of my ability.”

One of his abilities is his speed. He tips his hat to his alma mater, FIU, in reflecting back on the 2007 NFL Combine, when he hung up a 4.43-second time in the 40-yard dash that is still amazing.

“I still have that speed,” he insisted. “They gave the [fastest-linebacker] title that year to one guy. I thought I had the fastest time. I just wanted to represent FIU well at the combine.”

Quincy Black, just released by Tampa Bay last month, was that LB who nosed out Barnes by an unofficial one-hundredth of a second, 4.42 to 4.43, in the ’07 combine. Those were not only the two best times for linebackers in Indianapolis that year but remain the best two times by all linebackers in the last eight combines … combined.

Barnes has done his tour of the country, from the East Coast to the West Coast and back again. He sees new horizons opening for him here in North Jersey.

“I’m going from sunny-no-rain-clear-skies-every-day San Diego to hard-core, snowy New Jersey,” he said. “My daughter already knows the Jets chant — she’s 4 years old. My family are Dolphins fans but they told me they’re going to switch over and be Jets fans now.

“This is pretty much what I need,” he said with his quiet, confident smile. “I’m looking forward to it.”

You can hear all of EA’s interview with Barnes, plus his chat with Rich Cirminiello of College Football News.com about the Jets’ draft needs, beginning tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET on newyorkjets.com when the JTL segment first airs.

Another NFL Coaching Competitor Passes

One day after we remembered Jack Pardee, whose teams had a few head-to-head battles with the Jets over the years, we must take the heavy duty of eulogizing one more coaching competitor in Chuck Fairbanks, 79, who died Tuesday in Scottsdale, Ariz., from brain cancer.

Fairbanks first burst on the football scene as Oklahoma’s head coach. After six years of leading the Sooners to the upper echelons of college football, he moved on to raise the fortunes of the New England Patriots. From 1967-72, the Patriots were 22-62-1. In six seasons under Fairbanks, they improved to 46-40 with two playoff appearances, although the last, in ’78, was tarnished by Fairbanks’ attempt to leave before the postseason for the University of Colorado.

Fairbanks’ Patriots were 6-6 against the Jets’ collection of five head coaches during that period — Weeb Ewbank (2-0 in his last season at the helm in ’73), Charley Winner (2-1), Ken Shipp (1-0), Lou Holtz (0-2) and Walt Michaels (1-3).

Tags: , , , , , ,

145 Responses to “Barnes Will Put His Speed to the Test as Jets LB”

1. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Barnes could be a good fit for the JETS as a pass rusher. What I like is the fact that he believes in himself and is confident that he will be an asset to the JETS.

2. By russ on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

The lineback was sorely needed hopefully the OL will be rock solid after draft to start building an Offense.. With a solid OL you can than begin searching for the right QB and recvers who will run their routes but actually catch the ball….

3. By IRA on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

I think Barnes will give the Jets some juice with their pass rush. I think at best he will be a situational pass rusher and just by his production the past three years I guess it’s safe to say he gets 5-6 sacks or so. Most important he gets consistent pressure and hits.
    With the Jets really coming up empty since they traded Big Abe with a big time pass rusher it goes back to my beliefs that its a lot easier to find pass rushers for a 4-3 than it is a 3-4. So for at least this year we will see how this plays out.

4. By fran'scan on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Nice article Randy, we do need to get speedy at LB, lets hope Barnes was signed based on his play rather than just his history with Rex. I like our D line this year although we still need a little more depth. As for the O, please resign Moore which I hope is done prior to the draft. Idzik must know that Colon and DuCasse are in no way an upgrade to Slauson / Moore and… we all know that Offense starts with the line and considering we needed OL help already last year, that says a lot about where we should be looking. Cant wait to see if Garrard wins the job !

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

MJV and scjoe, this ESPN poster makes a great case for Idzik: “So far he hasn’t overpaid for anyone and has gotten us out of cap trouble. Got Holmes to take a pay cut and reworked Cro’s contract so we can cut him next yr if need be, saves us 9 mil. Signed low-risk high-reward players for a REBUILDING season, something the Jets desperately needed. Next yr we can cut Sanchez, Harris and SH and save over 30-40 million in cap space. He’s trading one of the greediest players in the game, Mevis, for future talent. How he drafts remains to be seen. I’m sure you’d rather he go out and give 100 mil contracts to players not worth it and pay Mevis 20 mil a year but that’s not how to build a football team.” Not my style of writing but solid on facts.

6. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Tom64. we established most of what your saying a while ago. I know you know I was one of the very first to voice my displeasure on the subject with all you have mentioned,.I also know you know I’m totally against over paying even the greatest of players. I just believe, No actually I know Idzik could of picked up some very decent players on the cheap, to help this team other then Garrard Barnes Colon, yes all positions needed to be upgraded but these type moves by Idzik and or players are exactly what you keep scolding some here about, So what is it you believe, picking up over the hill players or not ?

7. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

please don’t say he’s just filling roster spots just for the sake of it, because that in my eyes would be irresponsible and dereliction of duty. to exchange bad players for arguably worst players, My problem is the players why not take naumbi SF just picked up for 1.35 Million with no guarantee money Yes I also agree with building through the draft I wish we were doing it since 1969, But we haven’t.

8. By Karan on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

So as of right now, the Jets officially have $12,566,471.00 in cap space.

9. By scjoe on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

64, instead of going back and forth on this subject about “rebuilding” and “building through the draft” lets just put it into it’s proper perspective right here and now! By doing that lets revue recent history, because that can tell us a whole lot more then just mere speculation, which is what BOTH of us are doing right now. In 2011 the Indy Colts went 2-14. I would be willing to bet the farm, contents included, that most fans thought like you are thinking today, this team is a disaster, it will take years to rebuild, we are 10-15 players away from competing, we wont see the playoff’s any time soon, blah, blah, blah. Like you are doing now. How did that turn out for Indy AND it’s fan base?…….cont

10. By scjoe on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

……I think I know exactly what your response will be, “they got a quality QB in the draft, they got Andrew Luck! Well, hindsight really is 20/20 right 64? But wait, the QB is only one spot. What about those other 10-15 players? Gee, someone miscalculated big time, wouldn’t you agree? Don’t you see what you are doing? You are stuck on the current NYJ QB, you are stuck on the current NYJ HC, you are stuck on the former GM, and OC, so much that you have completely lost touch of reality! The 2011 and 2012 Indy Colts ARE reality!!! The defense rests!

11. By scjoe on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

64, do you really, REALLY consider Colon “low risk” how much more would it have been to sign Slauson to that same 1 year contract? And Slauson, to me, is average at best. Imagine drafting a rookie QB who wins the starting job, looks like he has plenty of promise, and playing him behind the likes of Duccasse and Colon OR, OR, 2 rookie guards? Imagine that rookie getting injured, out for the season, OR worse? I wonder what a lot of folks, including yourself, but to yourself of course, would say about that particular scenario? Sure, injuries are part of this game, agree, but don’t believe for a minute that the G position will not come in to the conversation.

12. By scjoe on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Ira, agree totally that it is much easier to find pass rushers to fit a 4-3 scheme. Question is, will RR budge from his belief in the 3-4? I can envision a 4-3 going something like this.. Coples and a rook (Jordan, Mingo, Ansah) at DE with Ellis and Wilkerson at DT, Harris MLB, Davis and possibly another OLB rook (Brown, Gooden) on the other side. Or even taking Jarvis Jones at #9 as a 4-3 OLB and selecting another 4-3 DE later.

13. By Jm. on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

This guy and D.Davis will be an upgrade over C.Pace and B.Scott who were over payed en played. I like what hes done thusfare with his decisions financially..and I think a revis trade is in the near future which will also help if we can get a 1st and 2nd. Nail the draft build some continuity…and this is it for sanchez and maybe rex…so it should be a very interesting yr go gang green!!

14. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet I like the way you put it “Yes I also agree with building through the draft I wish we were doing it since 1969, But we haven’t.” and your quote is exactly how a few of have felt. We have not used the draft wisely and with the exeption “MARTIN” we haven’t even used “free agency” properly. So far this year IDZIK has signed key players at a minimum of cost and I can’t wait to see what he does in the draft. Now the signing of “REVIS” by IDZIK was something he knew he was going to do when he made the statement “we have to give REVIS all the help at rehab that we can, we want him here and now he is here. I can’t wait for the draft….

15. By Tom Spicer on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

In the prior post 2 guys said we should take Glennon in the 3rd round. I honestly dont think he will be there at that point. If the Jets really like a QB they need to take him in the 2nd round & dont take any chances of hoping that the guy falls to you.

16. By Tom Spicer on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, I agree with you 100% there is no rebuilding. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

17. By Tom Spicer on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

A source tells ProFootballTalk.com that the Jets have shown “considerable interest” in Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib.
    The Jets scouted Nassib “aggressively” at Syracuse last season and spent extra time with him at his Pro Day workout. Greg Cosell’s No. 1 draft-eligible quarterback isn’t a real candidate to come off the board at No. 9 overall, but the Jets do own the eighth pick in the second round — two spots ahead of the Bills and Nassib’s former coach, Doug Marrone.

18. By ronbo on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, we’ve discussed the 4-3 vs 3-4 scenario several times before and in Rex’s mix of defences(including his dad’s 56 Bears scheme) I think the actual posisition is over-rated.I agree the 4-3 is easier to find D.E’s capable of getting to the Q.B. as fast straight line speed is the major requirement for that spot.Guys like Freeney 7 Mathis from the Colts plus our old guy Jon Abraham were not big guys but had the speed and strength needed to sack Q.B’s.You make another excellent point!

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom on the Mend on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

I think Goodson could very well be an upgrade over Greene, MJV, especially in a WCO. Besides, Greene never seems to have regained that 1st-yr burst. I just don’t think Idzik or anyone else would be interested in Aso or anyone like him at his age, if he already had him he’d trade him for picks like he’s gonna do with Revis. scjoe, you got me, I’ll admit it — if we get a QB as good as Luck in this yr’s draft as well as the 7 starters that Ronbo mentioned IND got out of last yr’s draft, yeah, we might get into the playoffs and get blown out early like they did. That last part goes to your low expectations. But I’m having a tough enough time convincing you that 7 picks a yr are even worth having, so I don’t see us turning it around that fast.

20. By Tom Spicer on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

I got this off of Rotoworld. “Antonio Cromartie converted $6.16 million of his $7 million base salary into a signing bonus to clear salary cap room.His future cap numbers will be bigger, but the move gives the Jets more 2013 flexibility, even if they keep swinging and whiffing on their free-agent targets.” If Idzik is doing such a great job why do we “keep swinging and whiffing on their free-agent targets.” also we were 6 & 10 last year right now wqe look about 3 & 13.

21. By Tom Spicer on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Unless we have a amazing draft we are going to be maybe league worst bad. The lack of activity in free agency is astounding. Are we even trying to won next year. Next year I will be going to games in a empty stadium or it will be filled with fans from other teams. At mid season never mind sell my tickets I will not be able to give them away. Like last year the last home game of the year vs the Chargers the place was empty. I can see it now 3 & 13 hear we come.

22. By Tom Spicer on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

I want either Jarvis Jones, Dion Jordan or Geno Smith with the 9th pick. None of you guys have said who you want the Jets to take at 9? Ronbo, Tom 64, Frank 64, SCJoe, Ira, Gary C & anyone else I am missing?

23. By Tom Spicer on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

How about this for a Jets mock draft. 1st round Geno Smith. 2nd round Ertz TE Stanford. 3rd round Marcus Lattimore RB Gamecocks. 4th round WR Kenny Stills Sooners. 5th round Barrett Jones Guard Bama. 6th round TJ Mcdonald Saftey USC.

24. By Tom Spicer on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

The above mock was my Jet offensive side of the ball mock. This is my defensive side of the ball mock. 1st round Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia. 2nd round Margus Hunt OLB SMU. 3rd round Eric Reid Saftey LSU. 4th round Bacari Rambo Saftey Georgia. 5th round Jawan Jamison RB Rutgers. 6th round WR/KR Denard Robinson Michigan.

25. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Spicer I’ve been saying QB @9 or just above for weeks now. Smith is going to be a prima donna, to much to take on Financially.and why I’ve been touting Manuel as a better fit with less drama plus more time to develop… We shall wait and see

26. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer I think you should look over my past posts I am a big Jarvis Jones Fan and I hope he is picked in the 9th spot providing Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher are available in the 9th spot….

27. By walt on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

i just heard that offensive tackle clabo was released a position of dire need for the jets.Of course the Jets are going to use the cap space excuse again.That is a Phony excuse.Suppose you sign Clabo to a three year contract one million the first year and six million each in the second and third year when the cap situation is more favorable Gaurantee eighty percent of the second and third year contract.It is as easy as that.

28. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, 3-13 is what this team needs to go this yr, we need at least 2 drafts with high picks. If I had the money and was in New York, I’d gladly take your season’s seats off your hands in anticipation of the team we’re gonna field in 2-3 yrs. As for that #9 pick, so far I only know what I DON’T want, to paraphrase a line of Ralph’s in an old HONEYMOONERS episode, and it’s this: Anybody with spinal stenosis or other serious medical conditions before he’s played a down in the NFL, any “great athletes” who haven’t shown they can play the position we want ‘em to play, and any overhyped QBs who lack pro size, smarts, and arm strength. I’ll wait for 2014 for the right QB if necessary.

29. By IRA on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Nice to kick things off in Detriot and hope most of these preseason games are on Sat Night.
    Karan,
    Don’t get mislead by the cap number now after they trade Revis he eats up a good portion of that.
    Tom,
    I have been saying for a while I want Warmack if not then Cooper and if they get that 13th pick Austin I would be thrilled with. Yeah I know the pass rusher is what most of the experts are calling for but none of them are a sure thing and none of the OG’s in rd 3 or 4 are sure things so that’s why I think you grab one of them at 9 or a few spots down.
    GO JETS!!!!!

30. By scjoe on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, here’s my thoughts on that 1st round pick…under the circumstances, with the health of Jarvis Jones being one of those circumstances, I would hope they go with Dion Jordan (DE, Oregon) I like his flexibility, he can play DE in a 4-3 if Rex desires, of course he would have to bulk up a bit, but I don’t see that as being a problem, or he can play OLB in a 3-4. If Jones is the pick you would have to assume the NYJ team doctors cleared him. If not one of those 2, I would love to see a trade down and maybe still get a Mingo, Werner or a Sam Montgomery. I almost certain it will be a DE/OLB no matter where the pick ends up being.

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

I’ll put it to ya another way, MJV, and I’m dead serious; The worst thing this team could do is go 7-9/8-8/9-7 the next few yrs, limp into the playoffs and get crushed early, and leave Rex with room to keep bloviating about how “close” we are. All us Jet vets should be grateful that you can save a sinking franchise these days with only a couple smart drafts and, yes, scjoe, a couple smart FA’s — IF after chaining your delusional, Captain Ahab-like HC to the mast for a yr and then throwing him overboard to the sharks. The Starr/Namath “5 yrs to build an NFL QB” era is long dead and gone. Of course, Rex told us a yr or 2 back that we had to give “Mark” 6 YEARS. so maybe anyone who’s impatient with Idzik already should have a talk with him…

32. By Row on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

The Gator safety I was referring to was not Elam, it’s the safety that’s not as flashy, who was the team leader in tackles and in my opinion is more solid. Giovanni Bernard is absolutely a must for this offense, period.

33. By SCfromNY on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

First, scjoe I like your comparrison to Indy. But as you mentioned Luck played a huge part. If you gave the Jets the same roster as Indy in 2012 only switching Sanchez for Luck they would not have had a good year. I find it amusing that so many are including Wilson in the 2012 “elite” QB class. He was a 3rd round surprise. I think we could have the same success with some of the QBs this year. My choice is Glennon which could be a 2nd. Waiting for the 3rd, where I would put him, may be dangerous. Remember Wilson & Montana were 3rds, Brady a 6th, and 3 QBs were taken ahead of Marino.

Spicer my 1rst pick would be Jordon. Things get interesting if we trade Revis for a 1 &3 this year.

34. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet we have to many needs to fill before we draft a QB and with the pick-up of Jarrard it is unlikely we will draft a QB in this years draft. However if we did I like your second choice in Manual who will more then likely go early in the draft. If he is available in the 3rd round maybe…But not realistic. I feel we will be drafting a QB next year. I also feel Jarrard will win the #1 spot and give us a chance at winning 8 games (I hope more) depending on how the draft goes. Once again this is the way I see the draft:
    1st round at #9 Jarvis Jones, however if Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher one of them in the #9spot.
    2nd round DeAndre Hopkins or Zac Ertz or Monti T’eo.
    3rd round Terron Armatad or Kyle Long.
    (Continued)

35. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

(Continued)
    4th Round Xaviar Nixon or Jordon Reed.
    5th Round Brennan Williams
    6th Round is a toos up either Brennan Williams or Michael Buchanan
    7th round also a toss up, Zac Sudfield TE Nevada, Braden Brown OT Bringham Young or Nicholas William DT Samford.

Some of these draft picks are sleepers but in looking up these guys abilities at their positions in college they will fit right in on ant team that picks them….

36. By Chicago Bob on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

With the 9th pick, I would consider Warmack, Cooper, Jordan, Ansah, Lotuelei (now that he has been medically cleared), Vaccaro or Richardson so basically it is OG or defense. I don’t want anything to do with Geno Smith due to the fact there will be better QB’s available in next years draft & I am avoiding Jones due to the spinal stenosis – something I am very familiar with if you have read my previous posts. People may say taking a guard or safety is too high however like I have said before, I don’t think the Patriots regretted taking John Hannah that high and the 49ers and Seahawks sure had no regrets taking Ronnie Lott at #8 and Kenny Easley at #4 overall. Both those positions fill a huge need and all those players are highly rated.

37. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Tom 64, Captain Ahab,? trust me I”m dead serious. NO, The worst thing this team could do is flounder around another 5 years,with no success. your sounding allot more like captain Ahab, with your constant opinions on how to rebuild this team is the only way, there are many ways to rebuild a team including FA’s UFA’S Draft trades all have been successful, SO stop already, SF they are loaded to the gills with talent, having 13, YES 64 count them 13 draft picks, yet they picked nnaumbi for 1.35 million with no guaranteed money smart move in my book, I can say the same about Falcons picking up S-Jackson, Osi many more I can go on and on. we not saying your all wrong, But your not all right either.. get over yourself

38. By scjoe on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Ira, question…Why is Warmack or Cooper any more of a sure thing then Dion Jordan or “a healthy” Jarvis Jones? Last year it was DeCastro who was the sure thing, problem is, there are no sure things.

39. By scjoe on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

64, after all that history I threw at you, after all that common sense logic I presented to you, all of the facts about recent history past, and you are still dead set against any type of progression, instead, praying for regression. With that logic I’m surprised you are not a stout supporter of Mark Sanchez who knows all about regression. You do also realize that with that logic you are contradicting yourself, while idolizing the Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Pats, and all those teams who consistently pick at the bottom of the draft, you feel the NYJ “need” to pick in the top 5 or 10 to be successful. If it works for those teams, why not YOUR team? Y-P-T-W-T-G! (Herm)

40. By Karan on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

The Jets should NOT draft Geno Smith. But it is Jets, so you never know. Seriously use your first rounder on either Dion Jordan or Chance Warmack, at least one of these guys has to make it past the first 8 picks. Use the 39th pick on a TE, would Ertz make it to the 39th? Not sure, hope he does. If you trade Revis, and get the 13th pick, then I guess decide between Jones or Mingo or Ansah because no way Jordan makes it to the 13th pick, heck most likely not even 9th. If you don’t get a chance to draft Warmack or don’t draft the guy at all!, then use the 13th on Cooper. Just stay away from Geno Smith and a QB in the first two rounds for goodness sake.

41. By IRA on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

One thing about the Revis thing i really have to question what Tampa is doing. They are not one player away from winning a SB. They can draft possibly the best or 2nd best CB with that 13th pick this year. So why in the world would you want to give up 2 high picks plus pay 3 times the market value right now for Revis?

42. By kleckofan on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

JFT64- nice Parliament reference in the new moniker, probably too obscure for most. I’ll try to work in Bootsy Collins in the future.
    Spice- tho you didn’t mention me, no hurt feelings, I would go OLB at #9. Its a position we have not had an impact player at since…ever maybe. I can more clearly tell you who I do not want: a QB from tis yr’s offerings at #9.
    I said in an earlier post, tho we’re all Jet fans we come at this w different perspectives. As a 50 yr old on the west coast I’m fine w the “rip it all down” approach we’ve taken. I understand those who want to see a winner each and every yr. I just believe the way to get there is by doing what we’re doing.

43. By kleckofan on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Also, I used the Colts as an example in many posts as a team that effectively dealt w a huge salary cap problem and still succeeded. Now someone (scjoe?) is holding them up as a shining example of a quick turnaround via FA acquisitions. The fact that Luck was drafted was mentioned, but only to avert criticism (a preemptive strike). You cannot disregard the uniqueness of Luck; all the skills and mental abilities when he walked thru the door. Very unusual. Others (MJV?) have pointed out that the Broncos turned it around quickly and that Favre until the injury was a success. Again, you can not just say as an aside, “Yeah they were HOF QB’s” these are the exceptions and they’re being put up as the rule!

44. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

MJV, you’re getting a bit carried away. Who said anything about floundering for 5 yrs? Certainly not me. And the most likely path to doing that is the one Mr T and Rex were on — or didn’t you read my post about how Rex said we had to give “Mark” 6 YRS?! And by the way, I think it’s a little weird, MJV — you do this from time to time, I notice — to object to mere “opinions” on how to rebuild this team. Any Jet fan who doesn’t have opinions on that by now must not be watching the games! scjoe, if we don’t draft a QB this yr, we’ll draft one next yr. We both know “Mark” isn’t the answer, so it doesn’t matter if he plays this yr or not. You and MJV also have some delusions about where this team ranks in the NFL, but that’s my next post…

45. By kleckofan on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

My family was season ticket holders and I sat in Shea through the declining yrs of Joe Willie and the yearly poor product. I think I’m entitled now to say lets build a dynasty type program at the expense of a yr or two.

46. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

MJV, SF and ATL are TRULY close, they can do whatever they want in FA. SF missed winning the SB by a few plays — are we gonna do THAT next yr? Osi called ATL the most talented team — is anybody gonna say that about US anytime soon? scjoe, you continue to split hairs for reasons I don’t get. Do you think I’m saying when you ARE a powerhouse you DON’T pick up key vet FA’s? Do you think we are anywhere CLOSE to BEING that kind of powerhouse? Someday anthropologists will look back on some of your and MJV’s recent posts and marvel, “How did these earthlings, reasonably intelligent in all ways, conclude that a team with Rex Ryan coaching, Mark Sanchez at QB, and almost no blue-chip players could win without totally rebuilding their rosters?”

47. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Ira, I’d say don’t look a gift horse in the mouth on TB, wouldn’t you? But I think it’s clear what they’re doing — it’s called dreaming, and not too differently than we were doing with “Mark” a few yrs ago. V Jackson is their Holmes (though better), 1 or 2 of their pricey D pickups are their Jenkins and Cro, and Freeman, of course, is their Sanchez, the QB who’s not quite measuring up but whom they refuse to assess honestly. Watch, this yr Freeman will have his worst yr yet, they’ll make an overture for Philip Rivers and not get him, and then reward Freeman with a big, ridiculous extension to keep from hurting his feelings. As long as they want Revis, let’s just send him their way for high picks this or next yr and leave it at that!

48. By Tom Spicer on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

I am not saying that I 100% want Geno Smith as the 9th pick. But I dont understand why so many posters are against him. 2012 Stats: 369-of-518 (71.2%) for 4,205 yds (8.12 YPA), 44 TDS & 6 INTS. The guy ran a 4.5 40 at the combine. He is clearly the #1 QB prospect coming out this year. The thing about picking Mieziel or Bridgewater next year hear are a few points against it. 1 we would 100% have to have a top 2 pick to guarnetee us getting 1 of them 2 who is to say that either 1 of them is 100% coming out after next year 3 who are all these better qb prospects than are coming out next year that are better than geno smith besides the 2 that I mention above?

49. By Tom Spicer on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

I dont think the Jets will take him but if they did take Geno Smtih I would be happier than a pig in poop. Besides Jarvis Jones & Dion Jordan I cant think of a player I would rather have then him at 9. You take him let him sit a year & learn. You have this draft, next years free agency & next years draft 2014 to get weapons around him. You hit the ground running in 2014 & your ready to go. Who would you rather have Mingo, Ziggy Azanh or Warmack? I am sorry I would not!

50. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

And speaking of recent alleged tragedies, I don’t see anybody racing to sign Pace, Scott, Edwards, Eric Smith…

51. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Klecko, couldn’t agree more about “tearing the roof off the…” — well, the you-know-what, I don’t want to risk Randy flagging this post over just one word from P-F’s most famous track. But yeah, maybe us West Coast Jet fans, a nation away from the hysterical, often absurdly gullible New York sportswriters, can see the situation a bit more clearly. The Jets are terrible. They have a loudmouth HC who’s 50 yrs behind the times on O and a couple yrs behind on D now that every team has figured out his chaos football. They have an inept starting QB and no WRs of any greatness in an era in which those 2 things are more important than since the AFL of 1965-70. Why on Earth would anyone want to prolong this miserable mediocrity a second longer?

52. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Klecko, your posts on scjoe and MJV’s sneaky ways of trying to turn the IND turnaround into what it’s not and your testimony on suffering thru the later Namath yrs at Shea speak even more loudly to me! What IS up with these folks pretending there’s not that much difference between Luck and Sanchez, between a draft in which you nail 7 starters and drafts in which the GM doesn’t even seem to want any picks? (“Quality over quantity” — yeah, quality like Gholston, Wilson, Ducasse, not to mention MS.) As for the Big Rebuild, I don’t know, people seem to be used to 8% unemployment and $5 gas, so I guess they can get used to anything. There’s a word starting with L for such folks but I won’t use it because I don’t want to offend my Jet brethren.

53. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, what do you think of that scout’s negative report on Smith? I’m not saying he’s right or wrong, just wondering if you think he’s on to something or way off base.

54. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

The only way we get Gino Smith is if Buffalo passes him up or we get another #1 draft pick lower then Buffalo which is not going to happen. If Tampa eventually decides to Take REVIS we still would not be in a position to draft Gino Smith. I just don’t see us drafting a QB in the first round. If the JETS were to draft a QB and we have an extra spot in the 2nd round and MANUAL is available maybe. I feel we will draft a QB next year and I also feel it will be either Mieziel or Bridgewater. JARRARD will be the starting QB this year.

55. By scjoe on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

SCfromNY, your point about A. Luck is dead on accurate! No one can question what part he played in turning the Colts around. HOWEVER, that has been my counterpoint to 64 for months now with his delusional theory that it will take 2 to 3 years for this team to contend. The QB position is the most critical, no one can deny that. The draft requires a little “luck” no pun intended, we don’t know who this years Luck, RGIII or Wilson will be. If the NYJ select a QB and he happens to turn in to this years “Luck” along with the rest of the draft, they can compete. Why 64 and a few others can’t fathom that, I have no clue!

56. By scjoe on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

64, what I said is definitely not “splitting hairs” you are of the opinion (and there is no denying it) that the NYJ will have to have an abysmal year in 2013 in order to select high in the draft to succeed. My question to you is WHY? You rave often about Pitt, Balt, SF, GB, and NE. (no denying that either) Teams that always select at the bottom of the draft and yet continue to be successful. So again, I will ask you, why can’t the NYJ be successful in the draft if they pick low like those other teams you idolize? Why should they have to regress in 2013, instead of show progress, finish 9-7, make the playoff’s, and do what those other teams you rave about do?

57. By scjoe on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

kleckofan, the only thing I will say is, see my last posts to 64 and SCfromNY! See any mention of free agency in them?

58. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Kleckofan..This is the way to build a team. Get rid of the dead weight..troublemakers..slackers..overpriced, overhyped players. Start from scratch..build your offensive line surround mangold with studs..plug in a solid vet on the oline. Then next year get that franchise QB and draft defense next year. This year it should just be the O-line / RB / WR / TE and a project LB or 2. We can’t just go spending money on FA’s and strap this team AGAIN with the cap. We save some money.. re-sign key players…have a great draft in 2014..and in 2015 have a team that will be great for 3-4yrs. People just have to come to terms with this. For once lets see this thing thru..build,develop and WIN!

59. By scjoe on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

64, to paraphrase a recent delusional post…”someday anthropologists will look down at some of your posts and marvel, “How did this earthling, reasonably intelligent in all ways, come to a decision NOT to support his team in every way, to hope for regression instead of progression, would rather see the team go winless in a season just to prove a point about their HC, is willing to start all over again with another HC who “may” just turn out to be worse then what they already have?” Gee, do all earthlings think like this one?

60. By scjoe on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, for me, it is not about NOT liking Geno Smith, it is more about utilizing that #9 to it’s fullest. Meaning, there are a few other QBs who show potential, who could be there in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Not so much with the quality pass rushers like Jordan, and a healthy Jones. It is just the make up of this particular draft. Imagine a Jones/Jordan in round 1 and someone like Manual in the 2nd or 3rd round? The best of both worlds! That said, if Smith was the pick, I, like everyone else, would just hope for the best. I wouldn’t criticize Idzik for the pick. But I would like that DE/OLB in round 2.

61. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

See this is where I question some of the brilliant ones here at the Radar, and their logic statements, and or opinions. I am in agreement our needs are many . if you really think about it every position has a need without even mentioning depth… I’m pretty sure most will agree even my Bud 64, Why is any other position more a need then the most important on a team QB. some believe it’s taboo to draft a QB this is where I part ways unless if your referring to inability of Jet to ever get it right then it’s understood, now lets talk about teams knowing how to pick em then it’s like I said the most important position whether we agree or not, we all know what the result Without a good QB well I’ll let you decide judging from ours .QB @9

62. By MIKE on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Interesting scenario, if the Jets select Dee Millner at #9 overall, would that then force the Bucs to trade the 1st and 2nd rounders to Jets for Revis. Than at #13, Jets takes Travon Austin.

2nd round picks are QB Ryan Nassib or Barkley if he’s there. and NT Jessie Williams

63. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Tom64 and all who still believe Tampa is going to give a kings ransom for Revis. Knock knock Tampa picked up their CB weeks ago, they will possibly go CB in the draft.. I believe Revis and Tampa are over, I could be wrong if I am it didn’t make any sense getting CB from I believe it was SF….

64. By IRA on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

scjoe,
    DeCastro got hurt he will be a stud if he stays healthy. What I mean by a sure thing is that the OL like Cooper and Warmack have played OG and they know the position. All the pass rushers like usual for a 3-4 are players projected to move to OLB except for Jones and he is a bit small to take on the run at the NFL level. It’s really a tough call. One thing is for sure if they draft the best player on their board in each rd with their picks they can’t go wrong because they need so many holes to fill. And if it means a QB in ones of those rds so be it.
    GO JETS!!!!

65. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

In the wake of this story that Revis isn’t “optimistic” that a trade to TB will get done, I notice more than a few folks posting that they think Revis has turned himself into a problem child around the league. “The character issue” comes up a lot and some are going so far as to say nobody wants him because of his “personality.” I don’t know if I’d bet the house on that and I hope Idzik can still work out a deal because now we need to overpay him less than ever. But I think it’s interesting that this guy played his cards so badly — and that it all came to a head in a yr in which other players once thought to be worth a fortune, like Aso, are signing for cheap bucks.

66. By Chicago Bob on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Spicer: First of all, anyone that would take a pass on Clowney next year with the #1 or 2 pick over any of the eligible QB’s is a fool. The Jets would not have to have the #1 or #2 to take Manziel or Bridgewater as it all depends who has the #1 or #2 and what their needs are. You have two stud OT’s available in Matthews and Kouandjio and we are seeing the premium put on OT’s in this years draft. If you need a WR, you have Lee & Watkins to choose from. Jenkins (TE) is viewed as a superior TE over the ones we are drooling over this year then you have Fales and Boyd as QB’s who are already being touted as better than Smith. If it wasn’t for the fact this QB class is so sub-standard, we wouldn’t even be talking about Geno Smith right now.

67. By Frank on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Spicer you know what your problem is you continuosly point at stats and have no regard for the intangibles. Smith did poorly against good competition and there is genuine concern for his dedication to the game to name a few.
    Keeping those thoughts in mind that is exactly the reason I would draft Jarvis Jones. He tested poorly yet recorded 28 sacks in the SEC the best division in college. Speed does’t mean a thing if you don’t know how to use it. Jarvis has great instincts and plays the angles extremely well. I would take him over Mingo who is a “project” everyone loves his athleticism. I’d rather draft a guy who has actually done it! I am the one who says select Glennon in the 3rd. We should take Jones and Ertz with the first 2 picks.

68. By since shea on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

If we trade Revis before the start of the season (not sure who would want a guy coming off a big injury who wants stupid money), we eat cap dollars. If we keep him and start the season with him and then trade him at the deadline, do we still eat the entire years cap hit on him or does part of that go to the receiving team?

69. By ELI RODRIGUEZ-Waiting to see if I will order NFL SUNDAY TICKET. on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Idzik, draft pick should tell us what kind of football man, he’ll be. The Jets needs are so many that any pick might be a good one. I’m not impress by any of this year QB-(but what do I know)– I KNOW THAT YOU NEED A GOOD FOUNDATION AND CORNERSTONE. Honestly, 4 years of Rex and M.S. is this not enough. We gave them a shot and it didn’t work out so let’s move on…….. P.S. IF IT’S TRULY AN OPEN COMPETITION THEN M.S. SHOULDN’T BE THE STARTER——PERIOD!

70. By ronbo on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, although we occassionally disagree I have to take my hat off to you because you are makeing more sence
    here than anybody else lately.(but i did tell you earlier I would take OLB D.Jordan)Like you I dont want to take any O.Linemen at #9 as the tackle’s dont fit(we have Brick)and the G’s are simply too easy to find in later rounds.I understand the J.Jones injury concerns but if Jordan is gone I would take him!I neither is ther I trade down dor Cooper or Warmack.

71. By IRA on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Jets take Manuel if he is in the board in the 2nd rd if not him maybe Nassib.

72. By scjoe on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

For what it’s worth 1st and 2nd choices
    1-Dion Jordan (DE ORG)/Jarvis Jones (OLB UGA)
    2-EJ Manuel (QB FSU)/ Eddie Lacy (RB ALA)
    3-Kyle Long, yes, Howie’s son (G ORG)/ Justin Pugh (G Syracuse)
    4-Jonathan Franklin (RB USC)/Landry Jones (QB OKL)
    5-Duke Williams (SS NEV)/David Quessenberry (G San Jose state)
    6-Nick Kasa (TE COL)/Josh Evans (S FLA)
    7-Sam Brenner (G UTAH)/ Joe Fauria (TE UCLA)

73. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, I said we could make the Wildcard and get blown out if we get a QB like Luck and 7 starters and that would be ’cause we’d still need at least 5 more starters. But today I’ll just let Allan’s thoroughly brilliant post on how to build a team speak for me. As for those future anthropologists when they get to the Tom ’64 Rosetta Stone on Jets Lore, they’ll say, “Ah, we were told these primitive beings from Florham Park prayed to the God of Hail Mary, but this one would appear to be a REALIST!” MJV, I’m all in with picking the Best Player Available ’cause we have so many needs. As for Revis, I’ll take whatever we can get, his attitude trumps all else about him. With ya on QBs, 64 Frank but Spicer’s got a pt on how Smith might work out OK.

74. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Ira, I also get a better feeling about Manuel than the other QBs, though I’m not as up on the college class as guys like Spicer and Ronbo. From what I’ve seen, Glennon makes me the most nervous and if a fraction of that scouting report on Smith is true, that’s not good news either. But I’m still waiting for Spicer’s take on whether that scout was on the money or on something else. What makes me the most nervous of all, of course, is picking a guy at #1 who has spinal stenosis. But that strikes me as the kind of thing the Mr T/Rex regime, which is half over and fading fast, would do, not Idzik, who’s already shown much less excitability over the wrong guys. Rex’s theme song when he comes out of the runway should be Zevon’s “Excitable Boy.”

75. By IRA on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

since shea,
    From my understanding is if they trade him after June 1st the cap hit gets spread over two years. Anything is possble i just don’t see a team trading for him once the season has started. Still i can’t believe Tampa is willing to meet his contract demands. I would never pay a CB 15-16 mill per for the length of his contract. Sorry maybe a few years back but thats because that Asomugha deal was done and who else but the Raiders would spend like that. 10-12 is my max for any premier player except a franchise QB.

76. By MIKE on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

If I’m Idzik, phone Tampa right now and say yes to the 1st round pick in 2014 if it includes a 2nd and 3rd this year and run with that. Bucs are probably the only team who would take Revis and his contract demands and satisfy them.

My favourite players this year would have to be Cooper, Warmack, Austin, Jones, Jordan, and Millner. Stay away from Smith and Barkley.

77. By scjoe on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Since Shea, a cap hit is a cap hit! Maybe Randy can confirm this, but this is what I believe to be true.. Revis already received a 1 Mil work out bonus, he is due a 2 Mil roster bonus on June 1st, his cap figure for 2013 is 9 Mil. So, if he is traded “after” June 1st the entire cap figure of 9 Mil, PLUS, the work out bonus ( 1 Mil) and roster bonus (2 Mil) totaling 12 Mil, counts against the NYJ 2013 salary cap. Not fair, I would say, but who ever said life WAS fair?

78. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Tom64 , Let me get this straight are you insinuating in your post to Klecko fan I am good with Sanchez saying I believe there’s not much difference between luck and him, or Ducasse V-G K-wilson and the likes. because if that’s what you’re doing, Let me remind you with all your ranting and raving thanking and salutations bowing to anyone who agrees or pays attention to you , it’s embarrassing for you , I’ve been trying to rid this team of these guys long before you jumped on the bandwagon, now that’s it’s popular. another thing West Coast Jets Fans That’s a good one,

79. By Tom Spicer on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

I have said I wanted Jarvis Jones for weeks maybe months on this site. I also said that I would take Jarvis Jones & Dion Jordan before I would take Geno Smith. All of you that commented about why you dont want Geno Smith I said who would you rather have at 9. Now Jarvis Jones & Dion Jordan dont count cause I already said them. So who are these great players that are better than Geno Smith?

80. By Tom Spicer on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Frank, The guy who questioned Geno Smiths work ethic is a CLOWN he knows nothing about the guy. He is trying to stir things up! Genos head coach said he is the hardest working kid he ever coached. His OC said he was in the facility so much that he would stay there after midnight & that maybe only the janitor stayed later than him. His QB coach said he was a film junkie & he had to buy him a I pad just to make sure he went to class. Not because he was a bad kid but because he would not leave the film room. Now if you dont want the kid thats fine but lets not attack a kids character cause 1 guy who is trying to drum up something out of nothing writes a story. The kid is squeaky clean with the players commiting crimes, doing drugs & not being

81. By Tom Spicer on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

good fathers to there kids. We should be celebrating a kid like this & not believe reports from 1 guy who made something up!

82. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE I like your your picks. Although we differ in all but the 1st and 3rd rounds where I also have Jaris Jones as a pick and in the 3rd round Kyle Long as a pick. You have some great choices in the rest of the rounds the ony one of your picks in the 2nd round I do disagree with is Manual I feel he will more then likely be gone or a 3rd round pick. I feel Idzik is going for offensive linemen and a good DE or DL. But I would be happy if we did land some of your picks, (lol) but I would be happier with my picks even more…..

83. By Tom Spicer on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Chicago Bob, You still did not answer the question. What guarntees us that we are getting a franchise QB next year? I have the answer for you NOTHING!

84. By Tom Spicer on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Also teams get there QB & than build the team around that QB not the other way around. Yea lets get guys then next year we get a franchise QB. Yea like its that easy if it was everyone would have a franchise QB.

85. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

I wasn’t insinuating that, MJV, you were one of the early Sanchez realists as I recall it. But I wasn’t late to any bandwagon given that I started expressing grave doubts very early in the boy’s 3rd yr. And here’s a few from the Whaddya Expect Me to Do File: Take it slow, rather than rant and rave, in the face of a franchise that’s become such a joke? Dump on, rather than praise, folks who agree with me? I mean jeez, the idea is to get MORE people to post on the site, not LESS! And what makes you think Jet fans from the heart of Queens become Charger fans when they move to L.A.? I don’t even root for the Lakers! Anyway, it’s some other folks, including one whose mysterious name starts with K, who have endless patience with MS but I don’t!

86. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

And just to needle you a little, MJV — needling being something us hardscrabble, working-class New Yorkers love to do no matter where on Earth you put us — YOUR problem is having endless patience for REX!

87. By since shea on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

If we must absorb Revis cap dollars whether or not we trade him, then we might as well keep him for the start of the season, no? If he returns 100% healthy and still the best corner in the pro’s, then we get more for him in a trade. I dont see anyone taking and paying him now. Although, Mike, your scenario of our taking Dee Milner at #9 to force Tampa Bay to give us their #13 for Revis is almost too good to be true. That way we get a great corner prospect, and our O Line, TE, OLB and, ok, maybe a QB.

88. By scjoe on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

64, I don’t know! But I would like to think that when those “future anthropologists” get to the scjoe Rosetta Stone on Jets lore, they would say that this one is even more realistic then the other one. At least he shows true to life recent examples as opposed to speculation, assumptions and wishes. As for Alan’s “ thoroughly brilliant” plan on how to build a team, I would say this, “gee, wonder why teams such as Buff, Miami, Minn, S.D, Oak, Det, Tenn, Jax, Cinn, Cleve, Ariz, Wash, and all the others who haven’t won a SB in the past few decades haven’t though of that?” What’s your opinion on that? Could it be because it is much easier said then done?

89. By scjoe on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

I tend to agree with Ira that a CB earning in the 14-16 Mil a year range is way overvalued, BUT, in all fairness, Revis is not just your average, or even above average CB. He is much more then that. Consider the QBs and WRs in TBs division, consider totally eliminating one of those WRs in those 6 division games annually, consider how it would make it so much more possible to double the other WR, you just may understand where TB is coming from.

90. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

Here’s a new pt on the Idzik front from Cimini. Whether you like it or not, it certainly dovetails with the “Give him 2 drafts” view of what he’s doing. And offers a clue as to who he’s been signing, who’s he’s been letting go, and why: “One facet of Idzik’s rebuilding plan, I’m told, is trying to accumulate compensatory draft picks. The formula is complicated, but it’s basically this: A team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks — a maximum of 4. So far, the Jets have lost 6 starters in free agency. It’s hard to predict how many of their signees will start, but it may be only 2 or 3. Early prediction: They will have double-digit picks in 2014.”

91. By scjoe on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

64Frank, the Jets have many needs, that is fact, but I tried to stay with those that are most pressing like OLB, QB, G, and safety. Although I think RB should also be mentioned as well as TE. Like I said, so many! Lol. As for EJ Manual? I will say this, “if” 2 QBs go early in the 1st rd, don’t be to surprised if some team takes him, or some team trades up to take him at the bottom of rd 1. Would not mind seeing the NYJ trade down to the bottom of the 1st to select him. If they can get 2 additional picks and select a S and a G with them, and get that OLB in rd 2, what a coup that would be.

92. By scjoe on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

Since Shea, “if” the NYJ can’t, or don’t trade Revis before the start of the season, and he recovers in full, they better make every effort possible to resign him. The cap should loosen up considerably in 2014, and if they structure the deal in such a way, unlike the Sanchez deal, where they don’t get burned with a trade after the 2013 season, they have to do it. If not, they will get nothing more then a 3rd round comp pick in 2014. I don’t think it will take a 14-16 mil a year deal to get it done. Depending on how the season plays out, they can determine whether or not they want to trade him or keep him in 2014,

93. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

EVERYTHING’s much easier said than done, scjoe, but at least Idzik’s trying to do SOMETHING, as opposed to all that endless blathering about “Mark,” “Nobody’s gonna wanna play us,” “Trufant is the best 7th DB if NFL history,” etc. that Rex and Mr T went in for.

94. By Chicago Bob on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

Spicer: What guarantees you that we will get one THIS year when none of them are considered franchise quarterbacks – Smith is considered (by some) as the best in a weak QB class. Do you think if Luck and RGIII were coming out this year Geno Smith would even be in the conversation? All I am saying is that when the #9 pick is up, there will be higher rated players available than Smith & with so many needs they should take whom they feel is the highest rated player available on their list, whether it be a QB or OL or whatever. You said Smith’s head coach, OC and QB coach all love him and his work ethic – how long have we heard how much Rex, his staff and teammates love MS and his work ethic?

95. By GaryC on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

Do not make a big thing out of Nolan Nawrocki’s comments about Smith,I have ordered that Draft Preview magazine for years when Joel Buchsbaum wrote it,before his passing.Nawrocki gets his info from the scouts of the teams watching him,as long as those comments are off the record,and their names aren’t mentioned,so it’s the magazines who feel the heat.It is tit for tat,if you want the real info on a guy,don’t mention who supplied the info.

96. By GaryC on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,I see Justin Hunter could be moving up the boards,he will be better then Patterson.McShay says he could go to the Pats in the first round.

97. By GaryC on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

Spicer,you ask what the posters would do with their first pick,barring a trade,you need to select a sure thing at number nine,and it doesn’t matter what position,On talent I would have to go Warmack or Richardson the defensive tackle on Missouri.Truthfully I would try to deal and get the extra picks,then you could come up with Ertz,Hunter,Arthur Brown,Sam Montgomery,Elam.

98. By IRA on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

So let the games begin with Revis wanting to stay in Arizona and the Jets want him in NJ for 8 days before they trade him. I don’t see anything good coming out of him being here unless the Jets are going to try and sign him to a reasonable contract. Otherwise this is going to be very wired for both sides and a distraction to the rest of the team which they do not need.
    I have called for an OG in the 1st rd at 9 but I believe Idzik will look at J Jones a B Irvin type of player and take him. The Jets would have taken Irvin last year they will not pass up on a player like him again. Jones will be the pick I will stick with.
    Go JETS!!!!!

99. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

What Cimini offers in info, he takes away in brains re the Revis training camp story: “More than anything, it demonstrates how much the relationship has deteriorated. If the two sides are squabbling over — what? — 6 or 8 offseason workouts, how can anyone expect them to sit around a bargaining table and agree on a contract? They won’t, and the Jets don’t seem willing to try. They come off looking petty in this whole situation, enforcing technicalities in the contract and ignoring the spirit. ” What it actually demonstrates “more than anything,” Rich, is how absurdly pampered these greedy players have become and how taboo it is now to treat them like responsible adults. Time was no player would even dream of making an issue of this stuff.

100. By IRA on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

If the reports are true a 1, 3 and 6 and i guess the 1 is for 014 its time to make the deal. If this doesn’t get done and Tampa moves on, the Jets are going to have a HUGE headache all season unless there is another team nobody knows about willing to trade for him. If this trade falls through and they get nothing for Revis after the 013 season it would be the biggest mistake the Jets have ever made in their history. The time is now to make a deal!

101. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE I feel you an I have been on the same page as what are needs are. Like you I am not looking for the JETS to build a second rate team this year. I am hoping with some of the FA’s we now have and how IDZIK picks in the draft it will be the start of building a winning team starting now. I still feel IDZIK will go for Jarvis Jones unless by some miricle Chance Warmack, Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher are available then it is going to become a toss up between these 4 players.
    IRA, I hope it is just a rumor about REVIS and we get a 1st rounder this year for REVIS and 2 draft picks next year only time will tell. As for GENO SMITH I think he is a fantastic QB but he is going to the BILL’S. As for MANUAL only if he is available in the 2nd

102. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

(CONTINUED) round and only if we have a 2nd pick in the 2nd round. Everyone is forgetting the Jets signed JARRARD and brought in another kid for QB compitition. I feel Jarrard will be the QB this year and if he is as good as he was in the past will do some good. IDZIK has been excellent at being silent and keeping loud mouth RR in check. MM has also been quite but both IDZIK and MM know what the JETS needs are and have done pretty good thus far. Now lets see how they do in the draft starting the 23rd of April… LETS GO JETS…

103. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe, I look at a team like seattle and the niners..two teams that weren’t very good a couple of years ago..I saw players get drafted year after year..and slowly watched these two teams go from doormats to powerhouses. Why? because of smart drafting..better coaching and plugging in key FA. But what do these two teams have in common? Mauling-brawling offensive lineman and a fierce defensive line. This game is won in the trenches. You can have Joe Montana as your QB won’t mean a thing unless you have the big boys up front..same on the defense..what’s the sense of getting a shutdown corner when you can’t stop the run? I’m old school..this game is won in the trenches.

104. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe, All I am saying is that these QB’s in this draft don’t impress me. I don’t see any of these guys worthy of a #1 pick. They all look like 2nd rounders to me. With the rookie salary cap now you can sign a QB and see what he has in year 1 and 2 by then you should know what you have. Next year who knows how many QB’s will be 1st rnd with all these pro-style off. being played now and QB camps available to these kids I would take a chance and wait till next year. But for now you need to build that Oline so it can gel together and be a unit ready for that rookie QB coming in next year. What would you rather have a rookie QB running for his life with a bad Oline or a great Oline that can give the rookie confidence to make plays?

105. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Ira, I think Revis is making himself less and less attractive to other teams and in a yr in which nobody’s paying anything like the ridiculous $ he thinks he deserves and when he’s coming off an injury to boot. So I’m not ready to blame the Jets if it’s harder to deal him and I’d take whatever we can get for him, the word is out that he’s all about himself and nothing about the team. Even if he was a model citizen it would be a good move to trade given that he might be over the hill in a couple of yrs when we’re ready to seriously compete again. Aso looked larger-than-life a few yrs ago too and look at him now….

106. By kw65fan on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Yea ira…and we can thank Idzik for that…not moving fast enough to get the deal done. 49ers would have been the best trade partner but they already got their guy on the cheap. Boy, how salaries come down in free agency. take a look Revis…not worth it anymore.

107. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Cimini backtracks, maybe after seeing the ESPN poll showing 83% think the Jets should trade Revis: “The feeling here is that Revis will be dealt to the Bucs before the draft. The Bucs are willing to offer 1st, 3rd, and 6th-round picks, according to a Yahoo! Sports report, which quotes unnamed sources saying the Bucs are becoming impatient. In that respect, Idzik is playing his hand correctly. Why would he trade Revis two weeks before the draft? He’s probably waiting to see if another suitor emerges, creating a bidding war. The Bucs might be getting impatient, but they have no other viable alternatives at CB.”

108. By scjoe on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

64, I think ALL of those teams I mentioned above who went a combined 0 for the SB in the past few decades have tried “something different” too, and still are. So don’t believe that just because Idzik is “trying something different” from the last regime that we should all go out and bet the farm that the NYJ will be the host team in the SB in 2014 or 15. Remember, it wasn’t just the last FO regime that failed, there have been many others before MT. So you can’t keep making comparisons between Idzik and MT. If I were you, I would hold off on some of that praise until there is at least SOME body of work to evaluate.

109. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

So now certain media people are saying the NYJ is pushing Mevis’s buttons..really? Is he not under contract? Who is the boss and who is the employee here? You see I believe in “Honor”..you signed a contract. You want more money? see me when you contract is up. You perform above and beyond while under contract..that’s what bonuses are for. If I want to keep you happy I’ll throw in a little something your way. But while you are under contract, do your job,,…All Mevis has to do is show up..he’s limited anyway…he’s not going to leave 3mil on the table….trust me…He has green in his blood…and it’s not NYJET green….

110. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Tom64, Since you believe. Idzik is some sort of Genius I’m not saying he’s not mind you, But you’re gushing all over his moves so far, let me remind you and him, he better get off his duff and Trade Revis soon because if we get stuck with him this year and his contract runs out he’s a free agent in 14 then What? I’m guessing since you know just about everything there is to know about football. music, dance, politics. all we get when he leaves is a third round compensatory pick as compensation.. for the 100 million dollar man

111. By scjoe on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Alan O’ Dane, the way you described Seattle and SF is exactly what I have been preaching all along. Contrary to what a few have stated here about “not” signing ANY FAs. So we are on the same page in that respect. As for how and where you begin to build a roster? I don’t think there is a right or a wrong answer. It is using all the resources you have at hand, draft, trade, free agency. But it is also about getting lucky in the draft, particularly in the bottom rounds and with the undrafted FAs. (Brady, Burfict?) No one can say whether there is a Luck or an RGIII or a Wilson in this years draft OR next years draft at this point in time. It is all just speculation. But in my mind, it all begins with the QB!

112. By scjoe on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Alan O’ Dane, for the record, I meant no disrespect to you when replying to 64 s post where he referred me to your post about how to build a roster. 64 and I have this on going “friendly and mutually respectful” debate about that very subject. We agree for the most part, but not on the finer points. He used your post to substantiate his theories, and I simply countered with mine.

113. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

In the land of the blind all all that, scjoe. I won’t give Idzik any awards just yet but the “something” that he’s doing towers over the nothing that Mr T and Rex woulda done if still in charge. How do I know this? Well, I notice nobody ever comments at all, much less disagrees, when I post about how absurdly Rex kept making excuses for “Mark.” I repeat, this is a guy who told us with a straight face that we had to give this clearly mediocre QB 6 YEARS! I know that Idzik is not paying any serious attention to Rex because if he was, Rex would still be saying that kind of stuff about MS and a host of other mediocre players, many of whom we’d have kept. So that right there is plenty “something” that Idzik has done. Allan, great stuff as usual.

114. By scjoe on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

64Frank, exactly! I guess one can say that I want the best of both worlds! I want to have a very successful draft, plug in some key FAs build a very competitive roster AND compete at the same time. If there is anyone on the face of the earth that can contradict that statement, I would ask one simple question….Why?? Others have done it in 1 or 2 years. It is not impossible. In fact it is very possible. Some have suggested I am “comparing” the NYJ to the 2011 Indy Colts “with“ a quality QB. I am not! I am simply showing recent examples. So it shall be written, so it shall be done! LOL

115. By Ronbo on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Good job on your moc draft S.C.Joe. I like the fact you included a plan B for each pick as its a crap shoot who will be available.ALAN O, you continue to show us your wisdom combined with great humor! “Me-Vis” I love it Bro!
    CHICAGO BOB,loved your earlier of 2 post above concerning possible 2014draft!Clowney is obvious early #1 at this point but a few Q.B’s could possibly edge him out.His hit in the bowl geme was amazing but he will need to do more next year as he will face stiff comp for that #1 spot.But yeah,he is special!

116. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE as for a quality QB. If the Jets were to get a QB in this years draft it will not be Geno Smith. I just don’t see them going for a QB this year. I will say this again, I feel JARRARD is going to be the #1 QB this year, I am not looking for the JETS to be SB bound this year, but I sure want them to be 500 0r better that will be an improvement over last year. From here on out it is the draft I am looking forward to the draft this year, not only the early rounds but the later rounds where there will still be some big OG and OT out there. As for REVIS, until somethiung happens there is nothing real to talk about. BUT to say Revis is not a good player knowing he was the best CB in the league and will probably be just as good as he

117. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

was, maybe even stronger and better because it is for sure he wants to play somewheres so he is going to make sure he is in great form.

118. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

MJV, you surprise me. Somebody who fought for freedom for Americans shouldn’t sound like a guy who wants to turn the US into Egypt, Iran, or North Korea. My right to free-associate the Jets with cultural highlights from years gone by or years present is my right as an American and almost 50-yr fan who’s “seen very little in the way of return,” to quote Joseph Wiseman’s stern Talmudic scholar father to his dilettante poet son in BYE BYE BRAVERMAN (1968). And is it my fault that there were a lot more great Jet moments to associate stuff with before, say, 1980 than after? I think you can take a tip from scjoe’s post, in which he says what I’d say about the ability to disagree violently (in print, not in person) about the Jets but not hate.

119. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

And just to stick with your question on Revis, MJV, the guy’s a cancer and he did all this to himself. I’ll take the 3rd-round compensatory pick if that’s what it has to be, I just don’t want to have to listen to him trying to manipulate “the fans” for his own personal greed ever again. The word on this guy’s character is OUT and Idzik is just a GM, not a miracle worker.

120. By scjoe on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

64, comparing Idzik to TBum is like comparing apples to oranges. I think I would have made that same statement no matter who the GM choice was. I get that. But what I don’t get is why you continue to lump Rex Ryan together with TBum when making those comparisons. One has nothing to do with the other, as far as their responsibilities. Also, when you claim Idzik has put a muzzle (so to speak) on Rex, I don’t buy it! I still hear Rex being Rex, i.e. “were going to be a team no one will want to play” in a very recent presser. As for Rex absurdly making excuses for “Mark?” You are right, no one, including me would disagree, but is that really enough to prosecute him?

121. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Up for the Downstroke on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

I’m not against what you’re hoping for in 1 yr, scjoe, and I think it might even happen if we pick the right QB this yr or next and, of course, draft very smartly. What I’m totally against, though, is holding onto overpaid, over-the-hill, or never-was players out of some delusion that we can compete at a high level with them in 2013. When I read that quote from Kolb today talking about the Bills in the SB within this century, my immediate gut reaction was, “Thank God some OTHER terrible team in our division is starting up with that stupid talk, which we’re just learning to flush out of our system.” The biggest flush will come when Rex is fired, maybe by Thanksgiving but almost certainly by next January.

122. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe, no harm no foul..even if we agree to disagree on this site we all have one thing in common..We want this team to WIN… we all have different views on how it should be done, but to me that’s what makes this site so great..people like Randy..64tom,Ronbo.GaryC,Mike, MJV, Kleckofan and so on. Watching this team the past 2 years was painful man. We got a new GM..I’m not giving him GM of the year award yet, we will have to wait until 2015 to see if he gets that honor. But, In the meanwhile he’s done a good job by lowering our cap, getting rid of certain players and basically not making an A** out of himself in the media.

123. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

cont.He will make his mark during the draft this year and the following year. He will fire Ryan..(You can write that check) and let’s hope and pray he brings in a coach with an offensive mind and bring in a smart, agressive coords with vision. And his true mark will be the QB. I like what he did in Seattle..let’s hope lightning strikes twice. In the meantime, I will enjoy reading everyones post everyday…and hoping that when the NYJ get a parade down in lower Manhattan we all meet up at O’Grady’s and first round is on me….

124. By scjoe on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Alan O’ Dane, O’Grady’s sounds good to me, and the 2nd round is on me(:-)
    64, the key phrase on your post above is “drafting smartly” because that is what it will all come down to! That is part of the point I have been making, anything we say now is nothing more then speculation or assumption. The fact that Mr Idzik did not resign any high priced over the hill FAs, either his own or other teams, will mean nothing in that war room in April. To me, what he does there, and how he handles the Revis issue will go a long way in defining who he is, NOT what he does with free agency this year.

125. By scjoe on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Ron, coming from you that is a nice compliment. Now, if we complete that trade and get the #13 too, the possibilities are endless.
    64Frank, you have more confidence in Garrard then I will ever have. As for the rookie class, I don’t see the NYJ ending up with Geno Smith, even if he is still there at 9. The fact is, I hope he is still there at 9, maybe they can trade down a few spots and pick up a 3 or 4. My biggest hope is that Manual is still there in round 2. But that is seeming more and more unlikely.

126. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I have to give the “Mevis” koodos to 64Tom..it just stuck with me because that’s who he is. His whole act was fake. I’m not taking anything away from his skills. He is the best corner in the NFL. BUT…his “Mevis” attitude is a cancer..When the NYJ were going thru all the turmoil with holmes and all the bickering in the lockeroom his name was never mentioned as one of the leaders that should have stepped in and regulate the lockeroom. He should be mad at Cro for having such a good year..it proves..”WE DON’T NEED YOU”. We just signed Dawan Landry..solid choice..low $..great in the box…BUT…I want to see what the young guys Bush and Allen can do also..Landry’s cover skills is suspect. Rumor central has the NYJ interested in k.Dansby

127. By Chicago Bob on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Another reason I doubt if the Jets would take Geno Smith is the fact there is a very good to excellent chance that Idzik will want to bring in his own coach next year. With that in mind, I am sure he would like for that Head Coach/OC to be able to pursue their own QB based upon the type of offense they intend to run rather than inherit one from the previous regime. Makes more sense not to take a chance using a high pick on a QB and instead, take care of the other needs and maybe look at a QB in round 3 or 4.

128. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

I see we signed Landry Safety from the Falcons which was posted on the Jets Official Site also on the Jets Official Site is a mock draft and as the #9 pick it is Jarvis Jones. However, there is mention of Warmack in this position as well. Not one QB is in the first round in the mock draft.

SCJOE, about Garrard if we can get one good year out of hime that would be a good thing, but to do that he has to stay healthy and be the QB he was a couple of years back. But between the QB compitition we have now I just dont see a QB worth praising unless McElroy somehow, someway wins the job…I am looking forward to the DRAFT…..

129. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

Did Kevin Kolb really say he wanted to go to a SB team and that’s why he picked the Bills? The NFL really has to improve their drug testing screens..Because Kolb has some serious issues unless he knows something we don’t. Because the last time I checked…The name Brady was still in NE. And as much as I hate to say it..NE will be the champ in our division until someone in the AFC east punches them right in mouth and become the new bullies on the block. Until then Kolb…Chill out man…Enjoy the sites upstate…go visit the falls.. take a ride over to Canada…visit Montreal…enjoy the crepes..Buffalo in the SB??? was he talking about this year? Really? Buffalo in the SB??? Mmmm..you just reminded me I have to play the powerball tonight..

130. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Just Plain Ready to Rebuild on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, there’s a whole lot to lay at Rex’s door in terms of why he hasn’t made Mangini’s roster better and now looks like one of the worst HC’s in the NFL. But you apparently don’t hear, as I do, from many Jet fans who believe Rex was leading Mr T around by the nose. I know Arte feels this way. So I think the complete scaling back of Rex’s mouth and motor is certainly partly Idzik’s doing and is a totally good thing. I’m with Allan as usual on getting rid of Rex because it’ll entirely change the culture at QB on this team, which has been stuck in 1962 for the last 4 yrs. Some days I’m surprised Rex doesn’t start raving about Joe Kapp!

131. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

CHICAGO BOB, I am with you on the Geno Smith not being drafted by the JETS, if you look at the “MOCK DRAFT” posted on the Jets Official Cite there is “NO” QB in line to be drafted in the first round. However, Jarvis Jones or Warmack is in the #9 spot and my money is on Jones.

132. By Chicago Bob on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Frank, I have been saying all along I would love to see Warmack line up next to Mangold next year. I still read articles saying he is one of the best to come out since John Hannah – their OG position is in need of a stud – and one with a mean streak at that. I agree also on a pass rushing OLB, I just get scared about the spinal stenosis thing with Jones. My concern is years of going up against the OT’s will shorten his career and that may be weighing heavily on Idzik’s mind.

133. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Just Plain Ready to Rebuild on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

I feel badly for this kid, Chi Bob, and I can understand why he’d try to play through spinal stenosis and I admire him for it. But there’s no way the Jets, of all teams, can risk the even 1% chance that such an illness shortens his career. That’s the kind of thing that only the Ravens, the 49ers, and maybe another team or two even MIGHT be able to take a shot on.

134. By scjoe on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

64, I don’t believe Rex was “leading Mr T around by the nose” You shouldn’t either. I think that is ludicrous! Mr T, admittedly had final say on all personnel decisions, WJ acknowledged that, you know about the S Hill pick, you know about the “changing of the guards” so to speak re: Duccasse splitting time with Slauson. So what is it you don’t see? How do you come to that determination? By the way, “Mangini’s roster” was Mr. Ts roster, just like Rex’s roster was. If it wasn’t upgraded at all, see Mr T.

135. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

64 TOM, I normally do not disagree with you, the doctors gave JARVIS JONES a clean bill of health concerning his spinal stenosis. No matter how you look at it JONES was very productive last year. I see Jones as the #9 pick unless Chance Warmack is available and I still believe it will be JONES. I feel that we have to draft smartly no matter who ius available in the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7the round.

As for Rich Cimini’s comments on trading REVIS before the draft to Tampa for there #1 pick I would like to see that happen, the question is “WILL IT HAPPEN”…

136. By RONBO on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

S.C.JOE,Your my main bro but I do believe Rex had a lot more influence with Tanney than you believe.Going back to “Hard Knox” it was clear to me Tanney had a serious man crush on Rex.I also believe Mangini had a good deal of influence on Tanney and the fact Tanney drafted better with Mangini supports my theory.Rex has proven to be a poor talent evaluator and M.Sanchez is exibit A! But if you look at all the guys he proclamed as great how many guys turned out that way?Look, I’m not saying he called all the shots with Tanney but I certianly believe he had major influence. The fact thatseveral members of Tanny’s scouting staff abruptly left is further evidence of Rex’s negative influence.

137. By Chicago Bob on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Agreed Tom, Idzik is not in position to take any risks. He is going to have to go with what he considers is the safest position at that time in the early rounds. The only positive thing is we could use help at so many positions so there should be plenty of options available. Obviously every pick is a risk however when it comes to a health issue, that has to bring up a huge red flag. I would be surprised if Jones is taken by the Jets, like you said, they are not in a position to take that risk and miss out on it.

138. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

64Frank, I’m no expert on medical stuff but I know that no doctor can speak all that definitively about a chronic condition like the one Jones has, which can flare up or accelerate at any time. So I don’t see the Jets taking a risk on that when there are so many other players at so many other positions at which they have great needs. I don’t say Cimini’s got it right about Revis though, as a reporter, he’s supposed to have access to inside sources. What does amuse me, though, is Jet fans freaking out over Idzik merely going about his business without telling Rex or anyone else, much less the press, what he’s doing. This is what a real GM does as opposed to the cheerleading that Mr T did over nothings like Schlauderaff.

139. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Chi Bob, I just posted again saying exactly what you say about how we have needs at so many positions that it makes absolutely no sense to take anyone with the slightest health risk. That’s a pure Mr T move, like picking a guy #2 who might get deported and who, I might add, was so distracted by that stuff that he’s barely really been able to focus on his game until now. scjoe, what Ronbo says about Rex having great influence over Mr T and the roster is the kind of thing I hear more often than not from Jet fans on both coasts, I can’t fathom why you act like it’s some kind of contrived, outrageous rumor.

140. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

IDZIK is playing it cool, and keeping everyone guessing. RONBO, I feel he is going to draft very smartly. He knows who he wants and is placing himself in a position to get those players. Still waiting on the REVIS situation and Tampa if we get the 13th pick we can get to good players. Their is 11 days left before the draft starts so if he is going to move REVIS it has to be soon.
    CHICAGO BOB, I agree on IDZIK not being in a position to take risks. He is playing it smart…

141. By scjoe on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

64/Ron, If Rex had all this influence on Mr T, explain the S. Hill pick. We are talking about a second round pick, which by the way cost at least one more pick to boot. Explain why Mr T would go public making it very aware that he had final say (like most GMs do) on all personnel decisions! Explain why WJ went public and acknowledged that fact. Was it some type of mysterious conspiracy? If so, WHY?? See, I don’t go by what a few other Jet fans say, I go by what I see, what I hear, what is in print, and what I believe to be true. As for that leach Idzik has on Rex? Lets just wait and see.

142. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

64 TOM, what you say makes a lot of sense about REVIS’S condition. BUT I feel the Jets will pick him or Warmack in the #9 spot (if Warmack is available I would prefer him). But Jones appears to be the betting favorite condition or not.

As for REVIS I am waiting to see what happens CIMINI has been wrong on many occassions. I am looking forward to the draft to see if we draft “SMARTLY”,,,,

143. By RONBO on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, I never said Tanny did everything Rex said! What I did say is i believe he was heavely influenced by Rex’s mystique. Watching Hard-Knox I saw Tanny follow Rex around like a puppy following its mother.Dude, it was obvious to me there was a serious BRO_Mance going on with those two. As for the S.Hill fiasco, I wont read to much into that whole staged dog & poney show. Rex’s protest to me seemed tongue-in-cheek to get a rise out of the press.I think you are beiing naieve if you fell for any of that nonesense. hey, this is not a big deal dude so lets not waste too much time rehashing this dead subject. Again, worst case scenario we agree to disagree & let the whole thing play itself out?

144. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

OK Ron, but for the record, I strongly “disagree!”

145. By RONBO on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Thats what I love about you Joe, you stick to your guns! No problem bro.