• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Kiper Answers Some Jets-Centric Draft Questions

Posted by Randy Lange on April 11, 2013 – 4:03 pm

If the NFL gets around to bestowing a special name on the celebration at this point in its calendar, one suggestion is to call it Kiperfest. Mel Kiper and his hair are everywhere these days, on ESPN.com, on ESPN’s multitude of channels, on commercials.

This afternoon the Melatollah of the Value Board held another conference call with interested reporters and the Jets came up several times in relation to questions about certain players and where they might go in the upcoming draft. As a Radar public service, here are the questions and Mel’s responses:

Q. How long do you think it will take Barkevious Mingo to develop into an every-down player if he’s in a 4 3 defense?

Kiper: I look at him as a developmental defensive end. He has to get a little stronger to play that position, get a little bulk to his frame. I look at him as a 3-4 outside linebacker, an attacker off the edge. I think he’d be a factor right away at that spot. The majority of outside linebackers in that situation are.

I would say Mingo immediately as a 3-4 outside linebacker would be a major league factor. He gets from Point A to Point B lightning-quick. I would like to see him be more productive this year. If he would have been, maybe he would have been the top-three pick. If the Jets can get him at No. 9, that’s a real nice value pick.

Q. Tavon Austin to Percy Harvin seems to be a natural comparison. How well does Austin stack up to Harvin when you compare them, and is Austin a reach for a team such as the Jets at No. 9?

Kiper: He’s 5’8½”. You think about where he can be in the NFL — he’s got great potential to be an electrifying performer the way today’s NFL is.

Durability is the problem with Percy Harvin. Let’s hope, he’s never had an issue. Tavon Austin, you can put him in the backfield, in the slot, in the return game. Gives you a lot of versatility. With the ball in his hands, he’s electric. Very tough to corral.

So is it too early You could debate that at 5’8½”. Is it too early at 16? No. If you’re getting a great player at 16, can you make a great player at nine? Sure, you can. It’s a case where, hey, I always believe that you had to take a guy where he was slotted. Now if the guy can play, he can play. If he can play at 16, he can play at nine.

The Jets have a ton of needs. They need a playmaker. If they wanted to take a versatile kid like Austin who is going to change that scoreboard, I don’t think anybody would have a big issue with it. They may say it’s a slight reach, but so be it. Slight reaches sometimes turn out to be great players.

Q. Concerning Jarvis Jones, his stock has fluctuated quite a bit. Where do you feel would be the best fit for him?

Kiper: He was productive. He just didn’t run well. Some don’t. Look at Terrell Suggs. I think he goes in that top-15-to-17. I think he could go to New Orleans after 15, Pittsburgh at 17, maybe even as early as the Jets at nine. But if I had a say right now, it would be New Orleans at 15 or Pittsburgh at 17.

Tags: , , , ,

68 Responses to “Kiper Answers Some Jets-Centric Draft Questions”

1. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

The fact that Kiper can even remotely suggest that the Jets are going to pick another “developmental” player in any high round, much less on D with a #1, is enough to make one wonder if he’s lost his mind right there. But then he wastes more breath talking about a 5′ 8″ slot WR when, with Kerley, slot WR is one of the only positions we’re set at for yrs and when what we really need is more big, fast WRs in the V Jackson mold. So Kiper can take a back seat to the much smarter draft analysts posting on this very site. Let’s get back to the real news, which is Revis coming to NY to get his medical clearance from our docs so he can go down to TB to see their docs…

2. By scjoe on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Lets just hope that by some miracle Dion Jordan falls to 9. Unlikely, but we can dream. If all things were even, I would take Jones over Mingo hands down, but they are not equal. Mingo does not have a potentially dangerous physical condition hanging over his head, Jones does. Maybe Jones goes on to have an all pro career, then again, maybe that injury rears it’s ugly head. Just don’t see Idzik pulling the trigger on him.

3. By kw65fan on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Would disregard anything Kiper says. he has been consistently wrong in so many drafts going way back unless it was a sure thing on top picks, but so has everyone else. My pick is Jones at 9…the only OLB in the draft that did have a tremendous last two years with sacks and pressures. If all goes well with our Doc’s that specialize in this spinal thing where of course New York City has the best specialists in the world and clears him…then go for it.

4. By Jack on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Its seen like everytime Kiper drafts mock for the jets it come out being the wrong pick for the Jets like Vernon G, was. There something about DE, Barkevious Mingo I don’t like. I really like DE/OLB Ezekiel Ansah he a big guy a tall guy with long arms and big hands. I also like CB, Dee Milliner it look like the Revis trades is going to happens So if Milliner falls to the Jets I’m soure they will pick him. I also like DE, Dion Jordan So I’m hoping of those 3 will falls to the Jets went they pick at 9. What I’m hoping is the Jets get Milliner at 9 and OLB, Jarvis Jones at the 13th pick. maybe even trade down and still get Jones or TE, Tyler Eifert.

5. By IRA on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Sorry have to go against Kiper in regards to Mingo. Once again you are taking a 4-3 DE and HOPING he can convert to a 3-4 OLB and in most cases it does not work. I think Jones is a better fit forget his times at his Pro Day this guy is a player and I would think Idzik views him as another Irvin with more every down skills. If they stay at 9 I would still go with the safe pick and take Warmack or Cooper whoever is left on the board. can’t get caught up in the hangup that you can’t take a OG in the top part of the draft.

6. By IRA on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

As for Austin if they want him at 9 you can’t let a few picks get in the way if he is rated in the middle of the rd. Still think after they trade Revis they move down with one of their picks.

7. By fred on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

I for one like the pick of Austin at 13 and Cooper at 9. I just don’t trust the OLB & do not want any of the qb in the first round

8. By Tom Spicer on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Jarvis Jones is the pick even thou they are saying Dion Jordan will go before him I dont see why. Jordan have 5 sacks in his career Jarvis Jones had like 28 sacks in the last 2 years. Jones had 7 forced fumbles last year & like 50 tackles for loss. He dominated in the SEC the best there is. Jones also played OLB in a 3 – 4 so there is no worry about him not making the switch. I dont care what his 40 time was or how much he benchs this guy is a player. I need a guy who produces not a guy who looks good in shorts!

9. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, Ronbo, and I think a few of you other folks have advocated taking Cooper in the 1st round and I see that Cimini now predicts that, though he says he wouldn’t entirely approve (like I care about that.) He sees Warnack going right before which I guess leaves Cooper as the 2nd-best guard available. With all my talk about O, QBs, scoring pts, I say…I’d be totally okay with this pick if you guys agree that Cimini’s right when he says Cooper will start immediately. I have no problem letting Sanchez, Garrard, McElroy, and a QB picked 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th show what they can do this yr and leave open the possibility of taking another QB in next yr’s draft. Unlike some folks, I have no illusions about fielding a playoff contender in 2013.

10. By Dr. Frank on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

What I have been saying all along. The safest pick is an offensive lineman. I like Cooper or Warmack if they are there. We need to protect the QB better, so that they can do something other than take sacks or throw picks. I don’t like any of the outside LB’s this year other than Jordan. Again, he is probably the safest pick. However, I don’t see him as a beast. I am just wondering if Jones “threw” his pro day so that he would slide to the better teams in the lower half of the first round. I am sure you think I am crazy for suggesting it, but maybe he has no stomach for playing in the NYC circus that surrounds the Jets. He was productive in college and has back issues, but if he can produce even for a few years in the pros like he

11. By kw65fan on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Don’t be sorry Ira…when was the last time Kiper was right or made any sense. Following draft for last 20 years and he is always wrong and his evaluations are so poorly prepared. Who the heck knows what anybody is taking. If they say anything now (other teams) they are just lieing…trying to confuse others on what they would do. we will see when it is our time…

12. By Dr. Frank on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

did in college, he would be worth the pick as the Jets have nothing at OLB. They are looking to resign Pace for Christ’s sake! I would love to see them pick up a TE in the second round if there are any good ones available. I think the two top guys will be gone. Many have them taking Kelce in Round 3. They are weak there right now. They also need another safety badly, as well as another WR, RB, OL and OLB. They would also need a corner who could start right away if Revis goes. 2 weeks to wait and see what Izdik does. Hopefully his first draft will be a productive one where we can get 7 starters!

13. By joe on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

The Jets need to get Tavon Austin. Anyone who thinks that it is way too early at 9 to pick him does not know this kid. He is the best player in the draft. Words cant express how much this guy can do for this team. No more projects !!! Nobody can do what this kid can do. Instant major improvements on punt return and kickoff teams. Offense also finally gets a guy who can take it to the house every time he touches the ball. He is a player not a project. Ever hear the term, ” The best defense is a good offense ? ” The Jets offense was extremely bad. Almost a joke. Put way too much pressure on their defense…..They need the best playmaker to come around in the last 5 years….

14. By scjoe on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, of course everything we say here and now is speculation, we wont have real answers on this draft until at least a year from now, but that said, I think teams and GMs do look at potential risk as much as they do upside. Jarvis Jones was a great college player but I don’t know if a team, especially this NYJ team can ignore that type injury. Dion Jordan on the other hand has as much upside as anyone in this draft. He has only been playing DE since 2010, he was a TE prior to that. He is a guy who needs to put a little more muscle on his frame, which he will do, and when he does I think you will see the next Jason Taylor. I hope it is in green and white.

15. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Travon Austin, Heck no if we pick him a 5-8 CB I’m going on a limb and saying idzik isn’t any improvement over Mike -T I feel the same about J-Jones I rather a QB @9 then either of these guys, KleckoFan, Yes you’re right. most are leaning towards liberal Democrat, let me also remind you, most all Cities with the highest crime. highest unemployment, bankrupt, worse education, biggest welfare programs are run by those same leanings, Tom64 I like you Kleckofan, plus so many others moved from the Ti-state area long ago, for reasons I will not get into.. So why on earth would our Jets move back into a downtrodden area, they invested in a multi million$ Complex what are you smoking man? talk about logic,

16. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Knows Rex Must Be Kept from All QBs on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Dr. Frank, your endorsement of Cooper is good enough for me. joe, I couldn’t agree with you more about playmakers but there’s something about a 5″ 8″,175-pound guy picked high that makes me VERY nervous, screams potential bust.

17. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Ok Mel Kiper…I for one don’t want to see a “Developmental” player anymore being picked in the 1st round. I want a starter…And if the NYJ can trade “Mevis” to the Bucs and get their 13th pick.. I hope the GM can pull off what I would say the coup da gras… Waramack/Fluker or Warmack/Cooper. I agree with 64Tom..we don’t need anymore 5’8 slot WR’s. We already have kerley. Get some beef upfront..create that wall so the next years rookie QB can have some confidence. Go get TE/Ertz in the second round… take a chance on RB/Lattimore in 3rd. What a draft that would be? Then in 2014…grab that thumper FB via free agency…Draft a QB..and concentrate on the secondary and the LB corps..and in 2015 let’s ROLL!…I’m showin my age now..

18. By Mathew on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

If they trade Revis to the Bucs I say we pick up Geno Smith @ 9 and take Tavon Austin @ 13. That gives him someone he knows and trusts while he gets acclamated to the offense…….

19. By Jack on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Just got the NFL Draft Preview I was looking over it and I think the best bet for the jets is to take is OLB Jarvis Jones but do you take a with the 9th pick or hope Jets get the 13th pick as well and take him there? Who said Mingo don’t play in a 3-4 rush if you got the Draft Preview you see that he do. Anyway still think Jones the better players. I would play it safe and take Jones at 9. Now IF the Jets trades Revis the Jets will need to take a CB. I would think that would be the best bet thing to do. Milliner would be gone unless he some how falls to the 9th pick. Either CB’s Xavier Rhodes or CB, Desmond Trufant should be on the board went and if the jets get the 13th pick. 2nd Rd’s This is where I think the Jets will take a G

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, I haven’t even been to NYC in 15 yrs, so I hope you’re not telling me that there isn’t any good place to build a Jets Stadium in Queens, Brooklyn, or Nassau anymore? For all I know there isn’t, but I think we’re always gonna be the little brother in New Jersey no matter how state-of-the-art the stadium or training facilities are. What’s more, being the little brother is bad for the team and the org, not least because it leads to (scjoe will LOVE this!) paper tigers like Rex who are all talk, no talent, and even less brains because the owner constantly feels he has to make a splash in the news rather than win games. Back to New York with the Jets!

21. By MIKE on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Not sure why some people like Geno Smith at 9. All I’ve heard about this years draft is how all the QB’s would’ve gone in the 2nd round last year. QB is a position hat has the highest bust ratio, so the Jets can’t afford to take a QB high. I personally would be happy if any of these players were taken with the 9th and possibly 13th overall picks.

Jordan, Mingo, Jones, Ansah, Star, Werner, Millner, Austin, Warmack, Cooper, Johnson, Fisher. and Ffloyd.

Last year a bunch of top ten projected players slipped past into the 20′s, The consensus has Jordan, Joekel, Fisher, and and Floyd. Maybe one will slip.

22. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Oh sorry, that post about moving the Jets back to New York was supposed to be to MJV, not Spicer. I guess Spicer’s magical remake of the Jets by way of a smart draft and even a few good, affordable vet FA’s was still ringing in my ears. And as for the post with your smart makeover, Allan, look at it this way: If you weren’t as old as you are now, you’d be one of the poor blighters on this site who has to root for the Jets without ever having seen them win the big one! A fate worse than that of rooting for all but a few franchises in the NFL at the moment…

23. By SCfromNY on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

I am also concerned about Jones. First round picks should make a statement on the team. Any concern over an injury, cleared or not, should be addressed. He was NOT cleared by every doctor and the NFL is not college although Goodell seems to want flags instead of tackles. Remember how LT, the real one, changed the game? That is what you should always want in your 1rst round.

As for Austin. He would be a great addition but not in the 1rst and especially with all the other needs we have. This draft appears to be deep except for QB so lets add players, not projects. There are only 8 teams ahead of us we should get a dynamic player.

24. By RONBO on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Man, I can see I’m about to rattle some cages here today but here goes, First of all there are major rumors about M.Sanchez going with Mevis to T.B. Apparently the Buc’s are hopeing we will lower our asking price if they take Sanchez off our hands?Any takers? Also, you guys who want a G at #9 remember this, no matter how well the G plays if somebody else on the line screws up the play will blow up.Neither Warmack or Cooper are gonna be difference makers.And those of you who are afraid to take T.Austin at #9 SHAME ON YOU! You are wrong!First of all, if we do pick him Kerly would bring us another high pick(he is highly regarded around the league)I saw Austin dominate a game as a R.B!This kid is much better than you guys apparently realize!

25. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Austin reminds me of DeSean Jackson of the Eagles,but size will be his deterrent.First round for a guy his size,very risky.

26. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, Kerley was drafted #5 and he’s shown potential to be a solid starting slot guy, but nobody’s going to give us anything much for him. I think some Jets fans are having trouble unplugging from the recent (Mr T-Rex-style) thinking in which no player’s physical, attitudinal, or off-the-field problems are too great to assume as long as Rex can say some delusional nonsense about him. For Idzik to recklessly pick a guy with a diagnosed medical condition, a size problem, or who is iffy at the most important position in the game (QB) would simply be out of character from the guy we’ve seen so far. I expect him to make safe picks of talented players at the best position possible, knowing he’s been given several yrs to turn this team around.

27. By Row on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, you are right about Jordan. I’ve watched a lot of film on him and he’s just fast. He’s a high motor guy who is often in the right place at the right time. He can be blocked, and I haven’t seen a tape where he drove a lineman into the pocket. Best case is we trade down and get three in the top 50. A pass rusher good on film, a running back who can catch. Game changers are what we need, not roster fillers.. Go Jets

28. By russ on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Kipers first round draft picks are usually still on the board at end of 2nd round..Like many of the over eager announcers at ESPN, his skills are more promotional than factual…Every year the best drafting team never makes the playoffs…Character is more important long term than potential talent on the field..

29. By Chicago Bob on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

RONBO: I agree with most you say however I have to disagree with your state-ment about Warmack not being a difference maker – many experts say he may be the best guard since John Hannah – it that is the case, that makes him better than the likes of Gene Upshaw, Tom Mack, Mike Munchak, Larry Allen, Steve Hutchinson & Randall McDaniel. Granted they did not put any points on the board however you have to consider them difference makers – they made their surrounding linemen better & the overall play of the entire OL far superior than they would have been without them & as a result, the entire offense that more potent. Putting him between Nick & Brick would provide a better running game & open up the pass for whomever is throwing

30. By scjoe on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Ron, there are 2 chances Sanchez gets traded to TB….slim AND none! Agree on not taking a guard at #9, it has to be OLB, but don’t rule it out. Totally DISagree on T. Austin at #9. That’s not to say he wasn’t a productive college player, just that you don’t use the #9 overall pick on a slot receiver/utility player. Kerly is doing just fine there and I don’t see anyone giving up a high pick for him. I am totally on board giving up a # 6 or 7 to N.O. for Chris ivory (RB)

31. By Carolina Jet Fan on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

Here”s my take-our defence is on the field TOO long, by the 4th qtr. these guys are absolutly exhusted. I want an edge rusher (Jordon if there) to get the O back on the feild. Round 2 we need help with the interior line so whomever is under center has at least 3 or 4 seconds to complete his check downs. I know it would nice to get a starting TE, RB, QB. SS, and a WR who can catch the ball but I think it unrealalistic to fix this team in 1 draft. Edge rusher and a starting guard from this draft and I will have restored faith in the FOof the J-E-T-S.

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

Wow, scjoe, I agree completely with everything you say in the post above! When’s the last time THAT happened? But I disagree with you about McElroy and half a dozen of those sacks being his fault on the story ahead of this one…

33. By Chicago Bob on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

There is one very important thing we need to keep in mind about the players Idzik looks to take in the early rounds. I think most of us agree there is a solid chance Rex may not be the coach next year. That being the case, Idzik has to be very careful what positions to pick. I mentioned earlier that I think a QB will NOT be taken very high due to the fact Idzik may want his next head coach/OC to have a say in a new QB due to the style of offense they run. Same goes for the defense – the next head coach/DC may/may not run a 3-4 and as a result, Idzik may not be so anxious to take someone like Jones (or another 3-4 OLB). You might see him go the careful route and look at players (OL, DL, DB, WR) that can fit any variety of offense or defenses

34. By Jack on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

If the Jets are really thinking about trading Sanchez why not trying trading up to the 2nd or 3rd pick of the drafts to get CB, Dee Milliner then in the later Rd’s draft a QB, like Ryan Nassib or any of these QB’s Mike Glennon, EJ Mannuel or Landry Jones. And wiith the 13 pick jets still might get either OLB, Jarvis Jones or Mingo if both are gone then OLB, Damontre Moore.

35. By scjoe on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

64, it’s been a few weeks, and that is a conservative estimate! LOL But make no mistake 64, many of those sacks McElroy took vs. SD WAS his own fault. The O line may not have been great, but they were not nearly THAT bad. I don’t even think “Mark” would have taken that many sacks. That said, I hope he can turn it around and compete in camp, anything but “Mark”

36. By john sciandra on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

just take womack, then jets have very strong off/ line. runng back play improves, qb improves, and go from there. build inside out.

37. By russ on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

John sciandra…Thats always the strength of a football team..defense.on field less means more aggression and more turnovers from opponents…The real reason you pay Big bucks for number 1 pick is talent and (hopefully) longevity…Paying Santonio Holmes big bucks for what? Drafting an OLB makes no sense when Offense is porous, we haven”t had a power gurad since Faneca and Kendall played..oh yeah we went to plaoffs!!!

38. By RONBO on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Chicago Bob, I love Warmack too but they said Decastro was gonna be the best guard last year & theres always a guy like that. Warmack’s a nice player but G’s have never been difference makers.Yes they contribute to success or failure but they are simply a piece of the puzzle.S.C.Joe, & 64, you guys gotta get over the size thing with Austin! He is the most dynamic player in the draft bar none.Would I rather take him at 13 if the Mevis trade happans,yes! But if Deon Jordan is not there at 9 I would take Austin in a N.Y.minuite.If it happan you can bitch & moan but that will stop when you see what this kid brings to the table. I only pray he doesn’t wind up in Miami,Buffalo or N.E. 64, I’d bet we can get at least a 3rd rd pk for Kerley.

39. By RONBO on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

CHICAGO BOB, you make an excellent point about Idzik’s possible draft stratagy as it pertains to Rex after this year. The plus side to Jarvis Jones is he can play OLB in either defense.Deon Jordan would have to bulk up considerably to play D.E in a 4-3 but with his athletic ability he could stay at OLB as well. Now if Idzik has already made up his mind to dump Rex Star Lotulelei & Shariff Floyd suddenly become possibilities as well? 64, sorry bro but S.C.Joe is spot on about SackleRoy in the now infamous 11 sack game. His indecisiveness led to at least half of the sacks.How else do you explain the fact that in any other game the high sack allowed total was under 3 per game(with Sanchez no less?)

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Seeing the Future Clearly on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Good thoughts on the draft, Jack and john sciandra!

41. By GaryC on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

And for those who think a players medical concerns don’t matter,look up Gaines Adams,who passed away after being a number one pick,it is Russian roulette when selecting a guy with medical concerns.

42. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

I feek we need an offensive line, to help any QB that plays for the JETS. I am all for Warmark at the #9 spot. Who ever said he is not a play maker better read the reviews on Warmack that includes COOPER. So far the predictions are JARVIS JONES as the #9 pick, but I would prefer WARMARK or COOPER. Kiper has been wrong in the past, but he does have insight on the front office. Next week will tell all for that’s when the draft starts. I see their is a rumor of MS going to Tampa, I hope so… We need to get rid of TT as well. Which will leave Jarrard and McElroy and who ever the JETS bring in for compitition. I know some of you do not consider GREG a strong armed QB but I watched this kid when he played FLORIDA and he was damn good.

43. By Jason on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

I like that most of the Jet’s posters are agreeing with what I’ve been saying that Jarvis Jones should be the pick at #9. Way too often teams (especially the Jets) talk themselves out of the right pick for guys who have better combine numbers and “intagibles” rather than actual production. Jarvis Jones is the type of player that “plays like a jet”. If they want Mingo – why didnt they just keep maybin – cuz he strikes me as the same exact type of player. Jarvis Jones would an immediate started and a fan favorite and a leader to come in and help replace what we will lose in Revis in defensive presence.

44. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

You’re leaving out the most important part of the equation, Ronbo, and yes, scjoe, it goes again to Rex’s worthlessness on O. McElroy was obviously told “Throw a pick in this game, much less a stupid pick like the kind Sanchez threw 4 of in his last game, and you’re never taking a snap with this team again.” So the kid was quite obviously scared out of his mind and figured take the sack, that’s what they want me to do. He couldn’t imagine, though, that this Rex-loving team that loves to play for Rex would just lay down and decide the season was over a few minutes into the 2nd qtr. So that game isn’t indicative in any way of what McElroy can do, especially with MM at OC rather than Rex’s hand-picked disaster Sparano.

45. By scjoe on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Ron, all things considered, how much more would Austin bring to the table in place of Kerly, considering the cost (a 1st rd pick) AND the current QB situation? Would it REALLY be worth it?

46. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE you have great insight. I see many thoughts in here on drafting Geno Smith, maybe if we get the 13th pick when and if a REVIS trade happens. I would prefer WARMARK or COOPER in the # 9 spot. BUT if either are gone I would then turn my sight on DJ FLUKER or TYLER ELFERT or both at #9 and #13. Might as well grab the best TE in the draft this year and start building a 2 TE system. BUT who am I to make such rash wishful drafting thoughts when I know the draft starts next week and we are all hoping the front office DRAFTS SMARTLY….

47. By RONBO on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

JASON, you make perfectly good sence Bro. I hope Idzik is listening.JETFAN FRANK, again, we get along great but yes it was me who said neither Warmack or Cooper are gonna be able to make the difference that other players will. There are 7 or 8 guys that play G that are alot closer to their level than there are who can compare to D.Jordan,J.Jones or even Tavon Austin. I recall reading posts here that we should trade for Percy Harvin and frankly I would love to have that type of player here.Well Austin is that type of player with the concussion or headache issue Harvin has.Now, I will say this, if we draft Warmack or Cooper I’m not gonna say its a disaster.I wont entirely agree but I would be fine with either of them.

48. By RONBO on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, good call on the medical bro.It should not be underestimate in terms of who or when we pick a player.S>C>JOE, Yeah, I knew the Sanchez thing was never gonna happan, the last time I checked Christmas was still in December. I think that was somebody’s cruel idea of an April fools day gag!

49. By Jack on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

If the Jets trade Mark Sanchez who will they have as the Starter? Not Tebow hardly think McElroy will be the starter that leave David Garrard who hasn’t played in 2 year as the Jets Starter. Don’t matter if the Jets draft a QB he won’t be ready to go as the starter NO WAY. So we just have to wait till the 2014 NFL Drafts already seen a 2014 mock drafts Rd’s 1 1st pick Oakland DE, Clowney 2nd pick Jets QB, Teddy Bridgewater 3rd pick Jaguars Johnny Manial. I have never seen Bridgewater play a game or ever hearing much about him. BUT I sure heard alot about QB, Johnny Manziel I seen him play a little but he sure look great. I hope jets take Manziel in next tear nfl drafts.

50. By Jm. on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

I’m hoping warmack at 9 and jones at 13..then the 13th in the 2nd as well!

51. By Jason on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

In 2014 I’d rather the Jets draft Aaron Murray from Georgia. He is being compared to Matt Stafford. He would fit great with the Jets over Bridgewater. Although I do like Bridgewaters talent and heart, I think Murray would be the better fit.

52. By RONBO on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, yes I really do think Austin will make tha kind of difference! Hey, kerley is a nice player but the difference of him in comparison to Austin is like compareing Mark Sanchez to Tom brady.There is no comparison except for their size.Austin runs a 4.3 kerley is more a 4.5-4.6 guy.Yes kerley is quick, but Austin is quicker and way more athletic! JET FAN FRANK, like I Said, I’m o.k with Warmack or Cooper,but Eartz and Fluker are very late 1st or early 2nd Rd guys.Fluker is falling as there are other guys at T who are much more athletic.We basically have a R.T now who is very simular to Fluker. JACK, I have seen Bridgewater and you can bet your sweet bipee he is the real deal!He is way better than any Q.B in this draft!
    Manzeil is too!

53. By RONBO on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

T64, well as none of us knows what Rex said or didn’t say to McElroy I cant
    argue with you on that one but I still feel from what I saw Mac had a rough day and was a big part of that debacle! Now, I’m in no way saying it wouldn’t have been worse with Sanchez in there as nothing terrible he did would surprise anyone here in Jetville! The botton line here is it is my hope that this is the last year the Rex circus comes to town because I’ve seen enough of it to last me a life time!

54. By scjoe on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

64 Frank, I would consider Geno Smith at 13 (not so much at 9 if we didn’t make the trade) but at 13, much more then either Fluker or Ertz or Eifert in that spot. I think you can find a TE in the middle rounds who has good hands and decent speed and who is lacking as a blocker and can be developed pretty quickly. As for an OT? I don’t believe that is a 1st round need. To many other holes.

55. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

RONBOI agree that Ertza and Fluker are more then likely 2nd rounders. I feel if he is available at out pick in the 2nd round we should grab him. If the Revis trade happens between now and the 25th and we do get the 13th pick and IDZIK smartly uses both picks we should come out winners on both sides of the field. I like your choice in Manzeil and Bridgewater in the later rouns.

56. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE, I would go along with Smith as the 13th pick. I am just going to lay back on choices because the draft is so close. I feel I have made enough posts about Warmark, Fisher, Cooper end Jones. Now it is up to the front office to DRAFT SMARTLY, VERY SMARTLY, I am sure they read our posts and know how we feel. I also feel IDZIK knows the holes he has to fill. There are several good OT and OG that are going to be in the later rounds and some that does come to mind is David Quessbury – OT San Jose State; Brennan Williams – OT NC; Hugh Thorton – OG Illinois and LeVeon Bell – RB Michigan if you go back and look at their stats are not bad at all. I even through a RB in that I feel looks great…

57. By RONBO on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

JASON, i think you might want to watch a lot more college football if you think Aaron Murray is anywhere near as good as Teddy Bridgewater. i would like to see a little more of both of them next year before makeing any unequivacal proclamations but from what I have seen(about 5 games each) I see absoloutely no comparison between Bridgewater and Murray. Murray is a little over 6 foot tall and about 200lbs and he has no where neer the arm strength or running ability of Bridgewater who is 6-3 1/2 235. And the only thing Murray has in common with Matt Stafford is they went to the same college and played Q.B. My guess is Murray right now is probably a 3rd round pick in next years draft.

58. By Dr. Frank on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

I think you guys out there are smoking crack! LOL! Look at all the successful teams that have won the superbowl recently, or have made it there. The strengths of those teams are up the middle of the field, meaning O and D lines, QB, RB, ILB and safeties. Look at the Ravens, Niners and Pats. Pats have been winning without great WR’s for years! This is where we need to focus on this draft. We need to strengthen the OL to improve our rushing attack and quarterback play. This includes the TE position! We eventually need a new QB (not this draft) and stud RB ASAP. Our DL is ok, but could use depth. Yes, we need an OLB, who can rush ( a fourth DL in a 4-3 D). We are ok for now at ILB. Need a safety, though. See where I am going here?

59. By Dr. Frank on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Once we have the interior set on offense and defense, we can then work on getting playmakers for the outside. Being set on the interior will allow us to compete. Having some playmakers on the outside will push us to the Super Bowl. If we can stop the run, and run the ball well, we can win. If we protect the QB and have adequate receivers and TE, we can move the ball. If we are lucky enough to get someone good on the outside at WR and keep our stellar CB play, we can win and possibly make the playoffs. Look at how other successful teams have built in the past. Look at those who have improved quickly (Seattle). The Jets need to follow those models, not get flashy WR’s now, as a QB on his back can never get him the ball and if we can’t

60. By Dr. Frank on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

run the ball, the opposing defenses will rush with their ears pinned back, looking for pass plays. It all starts up front and on the inside out, guys. Go Jets! Be smart with your draft this year, PLEASE!

61. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, add the number of absurd things about O that Rex has said in public to the number of absurd tapes of him crying in the locker room and the potential for him saying and doing absurd things on the week of McElroy’s start is infinite. So while we can’t know anything for sure, we sure have a pretty good idea of how Rex screws up the O. By this pt I’ve accepted that some on this site will never understand that until Rex is gone and we approach O like every other team, with a mind on scoring. A lifelong Jet friend the same age as me has been talking that way about Idzik, saying that the big story is that the Jets FO is now behaving like every other NFL team — ignoring rumors, keeping a lid on the HC, and going about its business.

62. By RONBO on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

TOM64, Hey, you dont have to convince me as far as Rex’s absurd comments or declarations go! You and i are on the same page as far as Rex goes!

63. By scjoe on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Dr Frank, you and I must have been watching different Super Bowls! From what I have seen over the past decade or more, “most” SB winners, SB participants, and SB contenders all have one thing in common, and it is not “strength up the middle” it is greatness at the QB position! Here is my proof…Brady, Manning, Favre, Rodgers, E. Manning, Brees, and to a little lesser degree Flacco and Rothlisberger. Check the stats, see how many combined SB wins and appearances these players have. Now, see how many there were who depended on “strength up the middle?”

64. By Dr. Frank on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE, My point exactly. The QB plays IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD! He is not an edge player. Flacco is a pocket passer IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD! So is Eli, Brady, Favre, Rodgers and Brees. You make my point exactly. See what I wrote above and I quote ” The strengths of those teams are up the middle of the field, meaning O and D lines, QB, RB, ILB and safeties. Look at the Ravens, Niners and Pats. Pats have been winning without great WR’s for years! This is where we need to focus on this draft. We need to strengthen the OL to improve our rushing attack and quarterback play. ” Before you make your comment next time, please read what I said and I am sure it will make sense to you. Go Jets.

65. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE, the more I look at “BRIDGEWATER’, he may be a better choice for the JETS. As for FLUKER and ERTZ in the first round I do not see that happening. If what the the announcers who have picked players being drafted in the MOCK DRAFT say holds true we will end up with JONES or WARMACK. We are now five (5) days from the the first round draft picks and hoinestly speaking SCJOE it is time to forget the past and start thinking of the JETS future an so far I like IDZIK”S game plan with FA’S. Now lets see how smartly he drafts. I see some in here say that we can not build a winning team, I DISAGREE. Why can’t we with some good draft picks especially on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball. I do not expect a SB this year but I sure hoping for

66. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

(CONTINUED) a winning team, not a losing team. Anything over 500 would be great and I feel we could do it. All we need is a QB and if we do not draft one, maybe with protection JARRARD will give us a good year.

67. By RONBO on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

JET FAN FRANK, although its way to early to speculate about next years draft i agree 100% that Teddy bridgewater plus at least 3 or 4 other Q.B that may declare for next years draft will turn out to be better than anybody in this years class. Unlike you and S.C.joe I dont believe we will be able to bring in enough quality players to fill all the holes needed to make us a winning team net year.We need 1 safty, two G’s, 2 OLB’s,a T.E, A R.B and depth at every posisition.If we trade Revis an aquire a 1 & a 3 this year that will give us 2 ones,a 2, two 3′s 7 a 4. if we do a great job anf hit on all 6 picks that will give us a total of 6 guys likely to at least be major contributors.Now if we pick a dud or a science project like Mingo-

68. By RONBO on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

cont.- it all gets dicey as picks in the later rounds cant be counted on to contribute immediatly. Yes some guys will surprise but you have to take into account that others picked earlier may disappoint.(S.Hill last year) On a different header i proposed the possibility we may trade our #9 & Tamps’s #13 (if it happans) down with say Atlanta & Minnesota into the 20′s and mabey pick up their 1st rd picks plus their 2′s and mabey even a 4th or 5th as well. This could happan as both the Falcons and Vike’s are rumored to covet players that will not be there when they pick.If we could pick up 4 extra picks plus what ever we get for Mevis this could turn out to be one of our all time great drafts due the the depth of this years class.