• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

Background on Just-Signed Kicking Competitors

Posted by Randy Lange on April 12, 2013 – 12:26 pm

John Idzik’s mantra, “Competition through and through,” applies to everyone on the roster, the GM has said, and so of course the kickers won’t be left out. Nick Folk and Robert Malone, meet your competition.

The Jets following a special teams workout have signed free-agent placekicker Derek Dimke and free-agent punter Ryan Quigley.

Both are first-year men who had foot-tastic college careers, then got their feet wet with NFC North teams last offseason and preseason.

Dimke didn’t miss a placement with Detroit last preseason, hitting a pair of field goals, from 40 and 31 yards, and three extra points. Of his six kickoffs, two were into the end zone, and the average return was only to the opponents’ 18.8-yard line. Jason Hanson held onto his Lions job, no surprise, for the 21st year. Hanson just announced his retirement this week.

Dimke came out of the University of Illinois, where he was the Illini’s all-time leader in accuracy for both field goals (39-for-46, 84.8%) and extra points (89-for-89).

Quigley got in a lot of action during the Bears’ preseason, hitting 16 punts for a 41.4-yard gross average and a 37.0 net with six inside-the-20 kicks and no touchbacks. He had one punt blocked. Then-sixth-year pro Adam Podlesh held onto his job with the Bears for the second year, although Quigley did make it onto Chicago’s opening-day roster, was deactivated for the opener, then released.

That 6-to-0 I20-to-TB rate is no surprise for Quigley, who no doubt goes occasionally by the same nickname as Quinton Coples. As a Boston College senior, he was fourth in the FBS with 28 punts downed inside the opponents’ 20.

Tags: , , ,

77 Responses to “Background on Just-Signed Kicking Competitors”

1. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

I was watching the NFL network & they had video of Revis running on a treadmill & do other agility drills. The guy is fine I have no doubt he will be ready for opening day.

2. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

How about this for a Jet draft, trade & 2 free agency moves. This may be long but follow me on this one. In free agency we sign Charles Woodson to play free saftey & James Harrison to play OLB. We have more than enough money to do that. We do the much rumored trade of sending Revis to Tampa for there 1st, 3rd & 6th round picks this year. With the 9th pick we take Jarvis Jones OLB Georiga. Now the starting Jet D in 2013 would be Safteys SS Dawan Landry & FS Charles Woodson. Corners Antonio Cromartie & Kyle Wilson. MLBS Dave Harris & Demario Davis. OLBS James Harrison & Jarvis Jones. DE’S Mo Wilkerson & Queton Coples. NT Kenrick Ellis. The D is now set.

3. By Tom Spicer on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

With the 13th pick take Geno Smith QB West Virginia. With the 2nd round pick take TE Ertz Stanford. With your 2 3rd round picks take RB Marcus Lattimore South Carolina & with the other 3rd round pick take a guard 1 of these 4 guys will be there in the 3rd round Larrry Warford Kentucky, Barret Jones Bama, Dallas Thomas Tennese or Kyle Long (Howies son). At this point your team is set & you still have a 4th, 5th, 2 6’s & a 7th to get depth. The starting O is QB Geno Smith, RB Marcus Lattimore, TE Zack Ertz, WR’S Holmes, Kerley & Hill. The O line would be OT’S Brick & Howard, Center Mangold & Guards Willie Colon & either Vlad Ducasse or our rookie 3rd round pick guard whoever wins the job. That team has 3 guys over 30 & can compete next year!

4. By Charliejet on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

I know its not a sexy pick nor will it turn heads, but Jets should grab Chance Warmick or Johnathan Cooper – build solid from the inside out. We are a few years away so start with strong foundation at offensive line then work out from there.

5. By kw65fan on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Whoa Boy…just heard on Michael Joe some goy was on from Pro Football weekly I think that Jets are trying to include Sanchez in the trade to Tampa Bay. that will be totally awesome. He (Sanchez) must be crying his eyes out if hearing about that. Will be storming into Idziks office wondering what is going on this Monday…LOL.

6. By kw65fan on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

that is Michael Kay show on ESPN….

7. By Stevesc on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

The problem with mock drafts and fan draft picks is that they are no more than wish lists… There is no guarantee that their player will be there when it’s time to pick. The only team that can be assured of that is the team with the first pick. It’s entertaining to see who wants what players, and some that I’ve seen would make great “fantasy football” picks. I’ll wait until the draft, when reality sets in, to see who the Jets pick. I’m confident that Mr. Idzik will do the right thing for this team. Also, rumors about packaging Mark Sanchez with Revis in a trade with the Buccaneers… As Arte Johnson use to say on Laugh In, for all of you old timers, “very interesting”

8. By IRA on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

I think the Jets are in good shape width two solid kickers and Idzik is right having everybody compete for a job. The Brown/Folk competition last summer was the best one in camp and it really helped Folk have a good year.
    OK for the Sanchez story today well where there is smoke there is fire. That does not mean he will get traded but you can bet it has been talked about or still is. Imagine how Sanchez feels 2 years ago they start taking talent away from him and last year was worse and they bring in Tebow. Now trade rumor talks. The is no way this guy should want to come back and whether he has a good year or not if he is on the team this year it will be his last. he would have a better chance getting back on track out of NY.

9. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

I gotta admit, Spicer, that’s a pretty well thought-out remaking of the team. Probably good enough to satisfy scjoe’s hopes that we might make the playoffs. But I still want Rex gone in 2014 and the whole thing doesn’t work for me without Smith or some other QB who starts instead of “Mark.”

10. By Tom Spicer on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Profootballtalk’s Mike Florio reports Mark Sanchez could be part of the Darrelle Revis trade to the Bucs.
    Citing a source with knowledge of negotiations, Florio reports Jets-Bucs trade talks have “included the possibility of the Buccaneers assuming the contract” of Sanchez. Getting out from beneath the Sanchez deal would be a coup of epic proportions by Jets rookie GM John Idzik — and earn him an official Rotoworld hat tip. Sanchez has one of the worst contracts in football. The Bucs want competition for Josh Freeman, and have cap space to accommodate Sanchez.

11. By Tom Spicer on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline reports the Jets are “very high on” Georgia DE Cornelius Washington.
    Per Pauline, the Jets are expected to consider Washington on the draft’s second day. Washington blew up the Combine with a 4.55 forty and 1.60 ten-yard split at 6-foot-4 and 265 pounds. Washington’s production (0.5 sacks) was alarming as Georgia miscast him as a five-technique, 3-4 end, but he certainly is athletic enough to convert to base 4-3 defensive end or outside-rush linebacker

12. By Tom Spicer on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Restricted free agent RB Chris Ivory visited the Jets on Friday.
    Ivory was tendered at the second-round level, so the Jets would have to surrender the No. 39 overall pick to sign him. It’s hard to see rookie GM John Idzik giving up picks — especially a high one — when his squad is short on talent and low on picks. We suppose he could give up the selection if Darrelle Revis nets the Jets an early-round pick in the 2013 draft from the Bucs, but a trade would have to be worked out by the April 19 RFA deadline. Ivory would be an early-down bruiser to pair with speed back Mike Goodson. The 25-year-old has averaged 5.1 YPC on 256 career totes. He’s far underutilized in New Orleans

13. By Charliejet on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

According to Boomer Esiason, Revis/Tampa a done deal Jets waiting for announcement day before draft (for whatever reason) this according to Boomer’s sources…

14. By Frank on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Nice fantasy team Spicer you took a page right out of the Tannebaum play book. We need to develop talent not buy old. We need to build a team through the draft I like some of your picks I absolutely do not want G. Smith he is not worth the 9th pick and I think he is more like Akili Smith than anyone else. He was lousy against good competition and did NOT elevate his team gee that sounds familiar…..ahhh…….duh……yes….Mark Sanchise-Not!
    Idzik better get the Revis trade done.

15. By SCfromNY on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

This draft is suppossed to be deep with OL players. We need to remember even with later picks these are considered the best players out of 1000’s of college players. I do not beleive you need a OL in the 1rst. Look at the Ravens last year. They changed their whole OL around for the playoffs. How did they do. I still say a pass rushing OLB, or 2, is are biggest need followed by TE, Safety, and CB if Revis leaves. Then we look for quality OL, RB, WR, and depth. I have ignored QB but if we get extra picks I am fime with drafting one. Just not from USC! If the QB competition is fair I expect McElroy to win. All his big fans seemed to have left after one bad game. And it wasn’t bad passing, the Jets were finished playing.

16. By RONBO on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, good job dude, mabey we should have hired you instead of the I-Man. Obviously if all those things were to happan we would certianly be a much improved team. Here’s the thing, we dont have the cap space to pull it off as if we trade Mevis we are still on the hook for his salary. It doesn’t go away.IRA, dont hold your breath on Sanchez going with Revis.As much as everyone in Jetville would love to see that happan, when was the last time anything like that happaned for us? We could never be that lucky.Really, why would T.B want Sanchez?That crap about comp. for Freeman,are they kidding?Lets keep it real kids. Now if it did happan it would be like Christmas in April, but I’m thinking this is more like April fools day here!

17. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Nice that some of the prognosticators are now saying Ansah and Mingo would be reaches,especially in the top ten.I said that a long time ago,throw in Jarvis Jones,Patterson to boot.Like I said before the combine,Mingo’s bench press and Teo’s forty time would be the most important,it is coming to fruition.

18. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Stevesc, The draft can be deciphered by teams who know what there doing,A wish list can be answered a number of ways in the draft if you are willing to sacrifice,if you want to surrender picks for a player or wait for other teams to bungle the process.It happens every year.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Well, 3 hours after the PFT story about Sanchez in a Revis deal, new stories say there’s nothing to it. But Charliejet’s report from Boomer still sounds good. Ira, I gotta tell ya, it’s something to see you talk about Sanchez having “a good yr” like he’s a proven player who simply had a bad couple of games. The guy has NEVER performed consistently well and has ALWAYS made the same kind of mistakes even in his best games. That’s why so many Jet fans report this curiously similar symptom of, 4 yrs in, suffering enormous anxiety with almost every snap. Of course, you were happy about Leon’s “good yr” when he returned a few KOs for TDs and totaled less than 30 yds at RB, so we may have different ideas on just what constitutes a good yr…

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

The other thing, Ira, is if anybody should be feeling out of sorts on that Sanchez-to-TB story, it’s Revis, who’s for several yrs now quietly implied that the whole Jet team is being held back by MS’s limited development. DR must be wondering just what he has to do to be free of this guy! Just kidding, I don’t give a hoot how either of them “feels,” they’re not my kids, my friends, or even my employees, in which case on that last I’d move them for sure. They’re overpaid, pampered prima donnas (which you could say about a lot of NFL players, I admit) who aren’t going to help the Jets get markedly better, so feelings don’t enter into it too much for me. And if they cared about OUR feelings, they’d play down their absurdly high demands for $.

21. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Below are the words of the guy I think should lead a new ownership group of the Jets, Curtis Martin, on the subject of Mark Sanchez. I ask you to imagine the org led by someone who’ll assess the team in such honest, common-sense terms rather than with blather about “You can’t have enough Tim Tebow.,” etc. The question was whether Martin thought MS can get that much better. “To be honest with you, I don’t know,” he said. “I mean, it’s been three or four years and it hasn’t happened yet. He did well his first two years; they went to the AFC Championship Game. He did what was necessary, but I think it’s a different team and a different time, so I think his level of play has to go to another level.” Karan must be having a heart attack…

22. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, I can’t prove this is Idzik’s doing or that there’s even anything to the story about the Jets going after Ivory, an idea I certainly like. The thought of Ivory and Goodson serving notice to our other RBs that the party’s over, with McKnight likely to stick as a KR only if he doesn’t step it up, sounds good to me, and that’s even before we’ve probably taken an RB in the first 4 rounds. But notice how the DAILY NEWS story also says the Jets aren’t interested in giving up a #2 pick for Ivory but instead will offer a lower pick. This is called smartly holding the line, something Mr T was sometimes impressive with on FA pickups (Holmes, Cro) but notably deficient on with contracts (Sanchez, Harris, Pouha, Cro, and arguably others.)

23. By IRA on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

I guess they don’t want to use a 3rd or 4th rd pick on a RB. I would give up a 5 th or 6 th tops. Ivory would be a good pu but I am not sure he can stay healthy.

24. By GaryC on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

ScfromNy,I for one have not left McElroy,I said when drafted he could be this generations Bart Starr,same school,smarts,I even said he probably had more smarts then Sparano and Rex combined when it came to offense,Remember he tutored under Saban,He could be Pennington with a better arm.

25. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

From Myers: “Rex provides cover for one year,” the source said. “It’s almost like having a shield. You can do what you need to do and the guy who is going to get the arrows is Rex. He is an easy target. John can stay behind the scenes like the Wizard of Oz.” If Johnson had fired Ryan, then all the attention and pressure would be on Idzik for fielding a team with expansion-level talent. Instead, the season will be dominated by stories about Ryan’s job status as Idzik keeps a low profile. Then, if things go badly, Ryan will get fired and Idzik will hire his own coach. “The Jets are in a hole and need to get to the ground floor,” the source said.” I totally agree, starting with losing Rex, of course, and ending with that last sentence.

26. By IRA on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

If the Jets get Ivory i think McKnight is a big queston mark for making this roster. Not sold being just a KO return man will be able to hold his roster spot this year. Depends how much guaranteed money they owe him.

27. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 13, 2013 | Reply

Dream come true for me, Sanchez packaged along with Revis for Picks. I’ll be giddy all over, be like Christmas in April. Even though Tampa is looking for a QB, I don’t see it being Sanchez, I think we’ll be fine with our kickers this season, Only stable spot on the team, I’m waiting to see how Idzik deals with Tebow, wanting to see him get anything at all in return for him, That would be a good move, I wouldn’t mind OL with picks acquired in a trade for Revis and Sanchez… BIG TIME EDGE RUSHER on my wish list

28. By Tom Spicer on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

Frank, I am not excatly sure how what i proposed is a fantasy team when i had us signing 2 free agents (Woodson & Harrison). I actually think that is a low number when you have teams like the Pats signing 4 to 6 free agents a year. Also in what I said above I have 5 rookies starting on next years team (QB, RB, TE, Guard & OLB) If 5 rookies starting is not BUILDING THRU THE DRAFT please TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS?

29. By Tom Spicer on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

Both the New York Daily News and ESPN New York report the Jets are not willing to surrender the No. 39 pick for restricted free agent Chris Ivory.
    As we suspected. The NY Daily News’ Manish Mehta confirms the Jets are “very interested” in Ivory, and ESPN New York’s Rich Cimini tweeted the club “WON’T give up a 2.” Ideally, Ivory would sign his one-year restricted tender and the Jets would acquire him via trade, probably for a fifth- or sixth-round pick. Although Ivory has major durability red flags, the 25-year-old is one of the most physically gifted power runners in the game.

30. By Tom Spicer on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

Jets RE Muhammad Wilkerson will report to the team’s offseason conditioning program “in the best shape of his life” after tweaking his diet and training five days a week at Lifetime Fitness in Maryland.
    “Just sit back and, like [Terrell Owens] said, get your popcorn ready,” quipped Jets defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman. Wilkerson substituted cheese and red meat for vegetables, chicken, and fish. He’s currently 6-foot-4, 305 with nary an ounce of fat on him. Coming off a breakout year where Pro Football Focus graded him as the NFL’s No. 2 3-4 defensive end behind only J.J. Watt, Wilkerson is poised for All-Pro attention entering his age-24 season. I am pretty sure he is down 10 pounds cause I thought he was 315.

31. By Tom Spicer on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

ESPN New York reports the Saints are indeed interested in trading restricted free agent Chris Ivory.
    It’s a key factor because New Orleans has held steadfastly to Ivory’s rights to this point in his career despite underutilizing him, seemingly instead preferring to stash his talent. GM Mickey Loomis likely now realizes Ivory is headed for unrestricted free agency in 2014 and the Saints’ best chance of receiving draft-pick compensation for him is now. ESPN New York’s Rich Cimini suspects New Orleans would part with Ivory in exchange for a fourth-round pick

32. By Tom Spicer on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport “thinks” the Jets “may” draft a guard with the No. 9 overall pick in the draft.
    Rapoport is a plugged-in reporter, but he seems to be speculating or reading tea leaves here. If the Jets do pull the trigger on a guard in the top ten, we suspect it’d be Chance Warmack rather than Jonathan Cooper because they are a power-blocking team. The Jets also need to pursue guys who can score touchdowns.

33. By scjoe on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

SCfromNY, I don’t know about McElroy. He knew the system very well last year, he is a smart guy, yet he looked totally lost in that game vs. SD. At least half of those dozen or so sacks were on him. Imagine playing behind this new set of guards (Colon and Duccasse) along with a totally new offense? I hope I am wrong, because of the QBs currently on this roster, he is the one I would like to see emerge as the starter, but things could go south very quickly if he plays anything near how he played in that SD game.

34. By kw65fan on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

I’m with you GaryC. Always liked McElroy when following Alabama when he played and played very smart…accurate and it was bombs away with him with the excellent receivers he had. Will have the maneuvers in handling WC offense and maybe now have some weapons especially if Hill steps up big time. I just hope he gets his fair share of reps in Camp so the new OC can truly evaluate him and all other QB’s. There should be NO favoritism especially with our main starter has totally regressed physically and mentally. Imagine what his brain is thinking with this current ‘trade talks’. he must be crying on Daddy’s shoulder.

35. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

I haven’t forgotten about McElory either, SCfromNY, while he’s obviously very green I still wanna see what he can do when the OL shows up.

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

I don’t care what anybody say, Curtis Martin sounds more like an owner than the owner we got. On Revis: “I would try my best to keep him, but at the end of the day, team is always first,” Martin said after taping a “CenterStage” interview on the YES Network. “If keeping him means that [other] things have to suffer, that would be the only way I’d let him go — which I think is the right decision. If the whole team is going to suffer long term, then maybe it’s a necessity.”

37. By IRA on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

So my bad about why the Jets have not cut Tebow yet. Reports say the Jets still owe Denver 1.5 mill on the deal and if somebody trades for Tebow the Jets would not be on the hook for the entire amount. Can’t blame them for that. Its still a shame he has been treated the way he was but its business not personal.
    As for Curtis i have said since its come out that he wants to be part of owning a team that it would be a great thing for Woody to sell him a share of the team. Maybe someday that will happpen. For sure he would be a positive for the team.

38. By IRA on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

Tom,
    McElroy is nothing more than a career backup who can maybe step in for 2 games if the starter gets hurt. he reminds me very much of Brooks Bollinger.
    I am good with either Warmack or Cooper. After doing some homework it appears Cooper could play center too which is a huge plus especially with Mangold going into his 8th year.
    I think the Jets can get Ivory for a 5th I can’t see anybody giving a higher pick for him.
    Wonder if Gates can win a roster spot this year. he has a lot of speed and I think he could be a 4 and he could also take over the KO duties if they want to move on from McKnight.

39. By scjoe on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

64, I think that any half educated football fan who happens to follow the NYJ would tell you that the idea of giving up the #9 overall pick in the 2nd round for a guy like Chris Ivory, an untested oft injured RB would be insane at best. But yet, to you, it seems is if only John Idzik could have come to that conclusion. I would say a 6 or a 7 at most is all I can see them giving up, and I don’t get GM pay!

40. By kw65fan on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

You guys got to check out video on GangGreen Nation. Shows over the years the disaster of our first round picks. The last one was hilarious where fans were shouting ‘We want Sapp…We want Sapp” and announced was “Jets select TE Kyle Brady” Think half the crowd had a heart attack. And you look at how old Pete Rozelle got over the years. Sad for our team with those picks…but hilarious seeing fan reaction.

41. By Fran'scan on Apr 14, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, I like the idea of getting Ivory but certainly NOT for a 2nd round pick regardless of a pending trade for revis. I do love his “angry” running style which the NYJ desperately need but he has some serious injury issues and I wouldn’t give up more than a 5th OR 6th for him. Would love to see Sanchez & Revis go in the trade but that is just wishful thinking. One thing for sure, Idzik is making this draft a very interesting time for fans & I am excited and oddly enough optimistic that we will fare well. Go Garrard and Go Jets !!!

42. By scjoe on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Here is my idea of a dream “updated” draft AFTER the trade with TB for a #1 and a #3
    1- #9 Dion Jordan (OLB ORG)
    1-#13 Trade down with the Rams at 22 so they can select T. Austin
    1#22 Eric Reid (S LSU)
    2- EJ Manuel (QB FSU)
    3-Kyle Long (OG ORG)
    3- from TB Jordan Reed (TE FLA)
    3-from St.L Jonathan Franklin (RB UCLA) (Assuming they do not acquire Ivory)
    4-Travis Bond (OG N.C.)
    5-Devin Taylor (DE, SC)
    6-Duke Williams (S Nev)
    7-Charles Johnson (WR Grand Valley St)
    I can see at least 5 starters and this is not science fiction! Randy, print it out and stick it under Mr I’s door. You wont regret it.

43. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

64tom, that was me who asked your opinion on Cousins..I know you are a Big Ten guy (Wisconsin) and I’m a Wolverine fan..I watched the games played against Mich.State..In college he showed to be accurate within 30yrds, but when he threw down field he wasn’t very accurate. Now the game he played when RG3 went down, it was like another QB out there..now I’m not going to get the Matt Flynn Syndrome after just watching 1 nfl start..I just thought the kid has upside and We both know that Idszik won’t draft a QB in the first rnd because Rex is gone next year. The new coach will want to draft his QB in 2014. Cousins looks to be the typical WCO QB..but just like you I haven’t given up on McElory.

44. By Jersey Rich on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, love your dream draft, and would be satisfied if even HALF of your choices join us. I still believe in McElroy, and think with the new Offensive coordinator, and WC style schemes, that he could be our “hold the fort guy” till we get to pick and groom a guy, from next years Quarterback class

45. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Seeing the Future Clearly on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

I think it’s a little early to write McElroy off, Ira, otherwise why draft him at all? That’s the kind of old Jet thinking that has to end, in a draft of only 7 rounds and less than 300 players if you can’t pick all guys that you can envision starting someday, you’re not doing your job. And yeah, scjoe, you’d THINK that you wouldn’t have to get GM pay to know that Sanchez didn’t remotely need a contract extension after yr 3 of a 4-yr deal and that the stage was perfectly set to have said to him, “If you don’t look better next summer, you’re not starting anf you’re gone after the season.” But this is the Jets, and this was Mr T, that you’re talking about so again, Idzik gets at least a few pts just for NOT being HIM!

46. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Seeing the Future Clearly on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

I like your entire draft, scjoe, especially the idea of resisting Austin in favor of a high-drafted S, which we need a lot more than another slot guy. Of course, now somebody’s gonnna write in a say, “64 Tom, why does scjoe get kudos just for resisiting Kiper’s ridiculous notion of the Jets picking a slot guy high in the draft?”

47. By Tom Spicer on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

ESPN’s Rich Cimini has been told the Jets like Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib.
    “In fact, Mornhinweg and Nassib — a couple of guys with a Philly connection — dined together in Syracuse after his pro day,” Cimini writes. “He probably won’t last until 39, not with the quarterback-needy Bills and Jaguars picking ahead of them, so the Jets would have to trade up.” We believe there’s a chance Nassib and EJ Manuel join Geno Smith in the first-round

48. By Tom Spicer on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

West Virginia WR Tavon Austin is visiting the Jets on Monday.
    Austin has not been widely mocked to the Jets at No. 9, but the team could look for a dynamic offensive weapon if they deal Darrelle Revis and acquire more picks. The team has a nice young receiver in Jeremy Kerley and upside prospect in Stephen Hill. Adding Austin to that group would make for a nice trio.

49. By Tom Spicer on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

SI’s Peter King hears that Jets coach Rex Ryan is “awfully smitten” with LSU pass rusher Barkevious Mingo.
    “Rex Ryan might want a corner (is the Pope an Argentinean?),” King added, a thought that makes perfect sense because of the likely trade of Darrelle Revis. The team has invested two first-round picks on their front seven in consecutive years, but they are still in need of a true edge pass rusher with speed. Mingo’s athleticism in short spaces is great.

50. By Tom Spicer on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

ESPN New York reports Darrelle Revis’ (knee surgery) Monday MRI showed he’s “ahead of schedule,” and that he’s been cleared to run “without restriction.”
    Revis will now head to Jets’ team facilities to meet with GM John Idzik for the first time since Idzik’s hiring. According to ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio, Idzik will review Revis’ MRI, and then decide the “right thing to do.” The implication is that Idzik has yet to decide whether or not he’ll trade his star cornerback, but it strains belief. Revis’ destiny remains a ticket out of New York, likely to the Bucs, and likely before the draft.

51. By Tom Spicer on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

SI’s Peter King “hears” the Bucs are willing to surrender first-, third- and fifth-round picks for Darrelle Revis, but is unsure which picks would be for this year or 2014.
    Previous reports had said the Bucs would give up first-, third- and sixth-round picks. It’s safe to assume the first-rounder would be this year’s No. 13 selection. According to King,

52. By RONBO on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Another 7 Rd.Jets Moc
    1-D.Jordan (J.Jones if Jordan is gone)
    1-b #13 T.Austin w.r.,k.r.p.r. & 3rd down back(wont make it to the 20’s
    2L.Warford G Kentucky, Bruising Fanacca type
    3-V.McDonald or G.Escobar,big athletic T.E’s
    3B-D.J.Swearinger playmakeing S S.carolina. hits 7 covers
    4-D.Amerson C.B S.Carolina or Matt Scott Q.B Arizona(athletic run & pass type)
    5-Devon Taylor D.E S.Carilona(or trade for Ivory w/N.O’s)need a 3rd D.E to rotate
    6-Johnny Adams C.B Mich.St.need a slot C.B in case Trufant cant come back
    7-Quenterus Smith OLB-D.E Kentucky St 6-5 250 fast athletic perfect late rd guy.
    *based on us getting a 1 & a 3 for Mevis

53. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Great news from King, Spicer! But I don’t see Idzik going for Mingo just because Rex loves him unless the Jets and other NFL scouts know something we don’t because the prospect of Gholston II is just about the dumbest way Idzik could start his tenure as GM. Actually, Allan, between my buddy from Iowa who has a big college football website and one of my oldest friends in NY who lives in Madison, I’m more up on college ball in that part of the country than I am in some other parts. So yeah, there seems to be a lot of talent on Wisconsin and other Midwestern teams that we don’t often seem to have on the radar. Mr T and Rex seemed more interested in iffy picks from nowhere Eastern seaboard schools like Ducasse, Conner, Ellis, and Powell.

54. By scjoe on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

64, anyone who questions why the NYJ would skip over a 5’8” slot receiver (which they already have) in order to move down, select one of the top safety’s with that pick, and get an additional 3rd rounder in the process was probably not watching the same team as we were. If that isn’t a good enough reason, have them do the research on Charles Johnson WR from Grand Valley State at #7, not a slot receiver, but more of a need.

55. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

As you know, scjoe, I was for drafting a S high last yr. We finally got around to it in Rounds 6 and 7 but now all we hear is how the Jets “don’t see Allen and Bush as potential starters.” Again, SO WHAT DID YOU PICK ‘EM FOR, to play ST? S is the probably the most obvious need on the entire team, easily on D, as our complete inability to contain big, pass-catching TE’s every Sunday makes painfully clear. So I love your pick and can’t imagine getting excited about a tiny slot guy in the higher rounds, especially when one hit can take a guy like that out for a couple games, which by the way has already happened to Kerley. Our 3 starting WRs are currently pretty banged up and it should be obvious we need not just talent but durability there.

56. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Also on King, you can automatically discount any comment on the Jets draft that includes the line “Rex Ryan might want…,” as King’s does on a CB. This would be Exhibit A in my contention that in any given April there are more than a few posters on this very site who are studying the draft more seriously and more intelligently than some of these hack writers. ANYBODY who’s paying ANY attention to what Idzik’s doing can see he doesn’t give a hoot about Rex much less “what he wants.” Idzik’s dumped all kinds of players Rex for some weird reason loved and he’s setting him up to prove he should stay on as HC while working with a team that could win as few as 2 or 3 games. So the future clearly isn’t geared to what “Rex might want…”

57. By GaryC on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

What ever happened to the Collin Klein people,who said he would be a great quarterback in the NFL,they have surely disappeared,and you know who you are.I said he was a lower category Tim Tebow,and people said his arm was so much better then Tebow’s,this guy will be lucky to be drafted.If you are looking at Kansas State for a draft pick,look at his wide receiver there,Harper,has the body of an Anquan Boldin,not saying he is that good,but very physical.

58. By Chicago Bob on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Can we stop with the Band-Aid approach & do the right thing and focus on getting younger & faster! Our defense was as slow as molasses – we did the right thing – Goodbye Bart Scott, goodbye Calvin Pace, goodbye Brian Thomas, goodbye Eric Smith & now we want to sign Harrison and Woodson?!!! More old, slow guys? There is a reason these guys were let go & another reason they haven’t signed – THEY CANNOT PLAY AT A HIGH LEVEL ANYMORE! The Pats & SF need a safety – why haven’t they signed Woodson? The Broncos need an OLB to replace Dumervil – why haven’t they singed Harrison? Why do we want to pretend we are contenders when we are not?!!! Stay on the course of getting younger & beating the Pats in 2015 and stop living in a dream world!

59. By RONBO on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, I completely get where you going with your moc and thought it was excellent. I would have a hard time passing on Austin as I believe he is this drafts most dynamic player.He is not strictly a slot reciever! He can be used as a R.B, in the slot or even out wide (can you imagine him of W.R.Screens? This guy is Wes Welker x 5! He is not only quick(like Welker & Kerely, but is straight ahead speed & change of direction is even better than Percy Harvin’s. About the only problem with your moc is you would have to reverse the rounds Long & Reid will be chosen. But I would be thrilled with your picks in any order.Good job Bro.SPICER, we all better hope Mingo is not a Jet.He is a Maybin clone as a one trick poney & we all saw how that went

60. By RONBO on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

IRA, we have had some fun debateing the G vs. OLB at #9 and truthfully I think if we pick either G or D.Jordan or J.jones we will instantly be a better team. i believe any of them will be better than last years 1st rd. pick.Not that Coples didn’t show late season signs of life but to me he has a lot to prove before i get to excited.No question he has great potential but they said that about him at N.Carolina as a Frshmen,soph & his Jr. season too.I also agree a 5th rd pick for Ivory is as high as we can afford to go.As for Gates, I love his speed but question his ability to master the skills it takes to be a factor as an everydown player.But boy, how good could we be if he & Hill ever get it together & we get a Q.B who can play.

61. By GaryC on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Arthur,’Les’ Brown,and his BAND OF RENOWN,will give you a better pass rush at linebacker and you can get him in the second round.

62. By GaryC on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Don’t go overboard on Ivory,he had Jahri Evans,Carl Nicks,Jerrod Bushrod in front of him while he has been with the Saints and a throwing game that allows a back to be a fourth or fifth option with the Saints.

63. By scjoe on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Ron, as I sated in an earlier post, I have nothing against Austin as a player and as a playmaker, my logic is, there are way to many holes on this roster to use such a high pick on a position that is already one of the few strengths on this team. I would classify taking him at 9 or 13 as a “luxury” pick. The last thing this team can afford to do is take a luxury pick in the first round. Tell you what, using that logic, I would much rather see them taking EJ Manual at 9 or 13 as opposed to Austin. QB is a much more critical need then a slot receiver/RB/KR. Would you agree?

64. By scjoe on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

64, I am one of those who believe Bush and Allen are not the answer at the safety position, at least not as starters! The odds against selecting safety’s at 6 or 7 and have them turn into reliable starters are extremely high. In simple terms, they were mistakes! But here’s the problem, and I know that you know it too, there are just way to many holes to fill with just 7 picks. They almost have to do something similar to what I proposed in my mock above and accumulate more picks. In reality, these are the holes.. 2 OGs, QB, RB, OLB, 2 safety’s, TE, AND CB, if Revis is traded. Thus, my mini debate with Ron about selecting a SR in the 1st round.

65. By RONBO on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, great point about Colin Klein! If he is smart he will see what has happaned with Tebow’s career and move to W.R or T.E. He is an excellent athlete but his skill set(like Tebow’s is better suited to the college game. Mabey he will end up in Canada or even the arena league where he might be able to develope his skills to better fit NFL offenses ?.CHICAGO BOB, I think Spicer was thinking more of Woodson as kind of a stop gap guy,you know,a Parcells “hold the fort untill Bush or Allen are ready to step in the following year.As for Harrison, it wasn’t that long ago he was a human sack machine but your probably right about both of those guys, their ships have sailed, so yeah, I think you got his one right bro!

66. By Chicago Bob on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

We keep talking about all these “playmakers” we need to bring in however if our OL does not improve, you can have the best playmakers in the league on our offense and it won’t mean a thing! Granted, MS is not the greatest at reading defenses and getting the ball off quickly however our OL isn’t close to being on par with any of the good lines in the NFL – if the Revis deal goes down and we do get the #13 pick and one of those two picks are not used on a guard, this offense is going nowhere – go ahead and draft this kid Austin and watch him running patterns all day while our QB is running for his life. Go ahead and trade for Ivory and let’s see how much yardage he gains when there are no holes to run through.

67. By RONBO on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, To me a luxury pick would be the Ravens drafting a guy like Mike Glennon in this years draft inspite of just resigning Flacco.In our situation, drafting a guy who can turn a 3 yd quick screen or a punt or kickoff return into 7 points inspite of a so so o-line or lousey Q.B would be just what the doctor ordered.A lot of people here have complained about not giveing Sanchez the weapons to succeed, well here is the perfect opportunity to fix that problem for once and for all!

68. By RONBO on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

CHICAGO BOB & S.C.Joe, rather than try to talk you guys into T.Austin let me suggest you go to you tube and let me know what you think. Keep in mind unlike Warmack or Cooper who need the other 4 guys on the line to be effective Austin needs very little help to be a major factor.This kid just makes plays! punt returns,kick returns, deep passes,short passes,screens, reverses, you name it he does it! Hey, the kid had over 2,900 total yds, 29 T.D’s and zero fumbles.The best part is when he scores he hands the ball to the closest ref and celebrates on the side line with his teammates.Also, please keep in mind, i still want Deon Jordan as my first choice but I doubt he will be there?

69. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Maybe I should stick to responding to your posts on this site, scjoe, but once again I agree with what you say about a QB and about the draft. But I think it’s too early to say Allen and Bush are mistakes, I’d like to see them actually play a bit first.

70. By GaryC on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

You guys need to watch the games instead of looking at all these guys on You Tube.Do they ever show bad plays on You Tube.This guy from Joe Smoe State can outrun a giraffe for 15 yards,whopee.Ronbo,yeah,Austin had a great game against the Sooners coming out of the backfield,do you know how Oklahoma’s defense was ranked,made Notre Dame look very good,and we saw how they looked against Alabama.

71. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, only dreamers –and of course Karan — think Sanchez’s failure is about a lack of weapons. Apparently those people didn’t see MS’s 3rd yr in which he turned Santonio Holmes into Chaz Schilens. Good pt about the teams Austin played, GaryC. I’d think Ronbo should know that one of the Jets’ biggest problems historically –and certainly under Rex — is getting excited about guys who played at nothing schools and against equally nothing teams. Reminds me of your often-made pt about how we ignore the SEC at our own peril.

72. By Randy Lange on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

To all Radar commenters old and new: We’ve had technical issues that had prevented fans from sending in comments to the Radar. We hadn’t received any comments from 5:10 Tuesday evening until about 4:25 today. The first comments have come through from scjoe and Tom, so hopefully this issue is now resolved. Thank you for your patience.

73. By RONBO on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Thanx alot Randy, no problem! GARY C, As I said to T64 & S.C.JOE, you guys are all to sharpe for me to try and change anybodies mind here. I’m just giving you guys a heads up in case we pick Austin. As I said earlier D.Jordan is my first choice but if he is gone and we end up picking Austin it will not be a bad thing. I hear what your saying about you tube but I dont know any other way to get guys who are not familuar with Austin to see what he is capable of doing. I also realize Oklahoma was not as good as some other teams but Austin did simular damage to many teams throughout his college career.He has the same skill set Percy Harvin has without the migranes. Trust me Bro, if he is a Jet you will love him!

74. By scjoe on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Ron, lets put it this way, if the NYJ were to select Austin at 9 or 13 (if they make the trade), I would support it. Would I agree with it? No! And I gave you my reasons why. There is a guy from Texas (Marquise Goodwin) who is 5’9” 185 and ran a 4.27 at his pro day, he can be had in the 4th or 5th round. Was he as productive as Austin? No. But you can’t teach that kind of speed, and he can handle the return game and run the reverses just like Austin, but at a much lower cost. See where I am going?

75. By RONBO on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, I hear what you are saying about Goodson from Texas, he is pure speed.I get it! But if you watch Austin on tape,and you know i always say the tape dont lie, Austin runs sideways as fast as most guys going forward. He has that Barry Sanders ability to change direction that makes him hard to get a good lick on. Why Else do you think he never fumbles of gets hurt? Another shifty speed guy to keep an eye on is Dennard Robinson the former Q.B turned R.B -W.R who I think would be a nice 4th ot 5th rd. pick-up. Robinson has simular change of direction ability but does not have Austin’s speed. If we wind up with D.jordan we likely wont get a shot at Austin too & I’m good with that.But if all the OLB’s are gone I’d be thrilled to get Austin

76. By scjoe on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Ron, I don’t disagree with you on Austin, per se. I know what he is capable of, I just don’t think he is among their biggest needs, what he brings to the table is not quite as critical as what an OLB, QB, OG, or a safety brings. Also, you have to consider the competition in the Big East. I would be shocked if he came remotely close to accomplishing what he has in the Big East. The next thing you have to consider is that 5’8” 170 lb (that is probably being generous) frame. Finally, remember everyone clamoring for that 6’4” WR with speed to burn? Well, we saw how that one worked out.

77. By GaryC on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,it is hard to keep up with teams nowadays,but West Virginia just spent there first year in the Big twelve conference,I believe that’s what they call it now,Texas,Oklahoma,Kansas State,Texas Tech and so on.So I will give it to Austin that this past year his competition was a little better then the Big East but I still do not want a slot receiver number nine,even Harvin wasn’t drafted that high and he was rated higher.