• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 10, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

Jets Get Offseason Program Off and Running

Posted by Randy Lange on April 15, 2013 – 5:06 pm

Players were stretching and sprinting on the outside turf field at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center this morning, and the middle grass field was dotted with small cones and larger day-glo orange yard-markers — G, 20, 40, 40, 20, G.

The new season has hit another milestone with the start of the Jets’ voluntary offseason program.

Among the players on hand are the roster’s entire quarterback contingent plus key players from both sides of the ball — DE Muhammad Wilkerson, LB David Harris, CB Antonio Cromartie and tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson — to get started on Phase 1 of the program, a two-week period during which activities are limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only, under the guidance of strength coach Justus Galac and his staff, Paul Ricci, Pierre Ngo and intern Jason Oszvart.

“For us it’s really about reducing the injuries and creating an atmosphere for the player to train in that is exciting,” Galac told Eric Allen for Jets Talk Live recently. “They come in there and they’re ready to work. For the players, my job is to make them bigger, faster and stronger — we all know that.

“But it always comes back to being an explosive player, not only working on our explosive power for the big guys and the hips and the hang cleans and the jumps, but the speed work, and that comes back to the skill players and working with plyometrics. Really building a foundation program where, when they walk out after the workout, they feel more explosive, they feel stronger, they feel bigger, and they feel like they got a good workout in.”

The Jets’ program is one of 32 around the NFL that is getting under way these days. Eight teams got started April 1-2, while three won’t get cranking until a week from today. For the other 21, today’s the day to welcome players back to facilities start sweatin’ to the sounds of 2013.

Article 21 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement establishes an official, voluntary nine-week program for each club that is conducted in three phases. After Phase 1, Phase 2 for each team’s offseason schedule consists of weeks 3-5 during which on-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills as well as team practices conducted on a “separates” basis. No live contact or team offense vs. defense drills are permitted.

Phase 3 consists of the final four weeks of the program, during which teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activity — OTAs. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills are permissible.

The Jets’ OTA workouts have been scheduled for May 20, 22-23, 28 and 30-31, and June 3-6. The Green & White’s mandatory minicamp is set for June 11-13.

RFA Tender Offers Signed

The Jets announced today that RT Austin Howard has signed his tender offer as a restricted free agent. This comes a week after TE Jeff Cumberland signed his RFA tender offer to remain with the team. Howard was tendered at a second-round level. Cumberland was a right-of-first-refusal tender.

Tags: , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Jets Get Offseason Program Off and Running”

1. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Two Weeks from Today on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Conditioning, physical discipline, and on-field focus, more areas in which the Rex era grades out poorly — a rise in penalties, a shocking rise in injuries, a strength coach who trips a player on the sideline, etc. (Sorry, scjoe, but Rex is so NOT a HC that on almost any given subject, you can see evidence of it.) Back to Spicer’s report on what King says about the Revis picks, if a #1, #3, and #5 are being offered in any combination of this yr and next, Idzik will clearly take it, it’s a no-brainer. Jet fans just aren’t used to a GM who knows how to play cards down to the wire. If TB sees Revis on Wed, that’s a wk before the draft and all the nonsense talk about Idzik taking too long, “insulting Revis,” etc. adds up to so much nothing.

2. By IRA on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

Nice to see Howard sign his deal which was expected. He is a nice find that the personnel dept needs to get credit for.
    Glad to see them get started and Sanchez took the high road with the media. Lets face it what is he going to say? Hope things work out for him.
    Most important thoughts and prayers go out to all of Boston and God Bless them and the USA.

3. By kleckofan on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Mark Sanchez is “fired up”, please, gimme a break.

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Seeing the Future Clearly on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

I suppose I should be celebrating that we’re re-signing Pace…as if it would make any difference at all if three UFA’s took all his snaps this season…

5. By GaryC on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Calvin Pace back,I might need a PACEmaker after hearing this.I would of preferred Orlando.

6. By IRA on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Tom, Resigning Pace is a good move. All he becomes is a hold the fort type of guy for one year. They are so thin at OLB do you really think Barnes, McIntyre or Sapp is the answer? And i hope they don’t draft Mingo he is not suited to play OLB in a 3-4 at least for now. He would become a project. Sorry had enough of those early rd projects. Need players who can step in and make an instant impact like Jones and the OG’s or even Austin.

7. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

First..My prayers go out to those in Boston and those affected by this act of a bunch of cowards…

I find the Pace signing a bit odd. I really thought the NYJ were going with youth and speed on defense. Pace and Scott both were players I wanted to see move on. Could this be more for veteran leadership? Speed is sorely needed here at the LB position..I would have rather Karlos Dansby…scratching my head on this one…

Tampa willing to give up #1-#3 and #5? I’ll take the #1 and #5 this year and take the #3 in 2014. Bye- Bye–Mevis…have fun in Tampa…

8. By scjoe on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

64, I think the resigning of Calvin Pace shoots a big hole in your theory about how Idzik “got rid of” all those over the hill players left over from the former regime and is starting fresh. Who will be next? Scott? Thomas? Smith? Sure, I realize the signing is at a much lower cost, but what does it say about “rebuilding?” What does it say about “building through the draft?” If they are not looking to compete this year, what was the point?

9. By scjoe on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

The line of the day from ESPN.com “Mark Sanchez is “OK” with a QB competition” HELLLLLLO! Suppose he wasn’t “OK” with it?

10. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe..I said the samething…Mark Sanchez is “Ok” with QB comp?..dude you should be “Ok” with being the waterboy at this point. I gotta agree with you on the Pace thing…When you have a guy like Dansby still out there…U sign Pace???..I still believe Idzik is in rebuild mode BUT I wanted Pace/Scott out!..

11. By kw65fan on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

The only reason i see signing of Pace and his 10 years of experience is as a stop-gap OLB who will also train and help the OLB we draft at #9 (Jones). Helping in the transition to the NFL and plus he comes cheap…so no big deal.

12. By Tom Spicer on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

I will hold back my thoughts on resigning Pace until I see how much we got him for & how many years the deal is for. If it is a 1 year veteran minimum type of deal than I have no problem with it. Really we need 2 OLB’S cause as of right now our 2 startes are Garrett McNytire & Antwan Barnes honestly I dont know if either of them are good enough to be NFL starters. Maybe we get 1 OLB early this year & 1 OLB early next year?

13. By Tom Spicer on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

GM Buddy Nix doesn’t believe the Bills would be reaching if they took a quarterback at No. 8 overall. Oh boy. “This quarterback class is better than everybody thinks it,” Nix insisted Tuesday.”Five or six of those guys maybe seven do a lot of things good and do them good enough to win. I’ve said this from the start, that two or three of these guys will be franchise quarterbacks. I believe that.” I agree with the above statement I dont know who I dont have a crystal ball but I think at least 2 or 3 of these guys are going to be very good NFL QB’S

14. By Tom Spicer on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

In a prior post Chicage Bob blasted my suggestion about signing Woodson & Harrison. I am not going to respond to him but I will say this you can not build a entire team off of 1 draft. There have been multiple posters who have said “o build thru the draft” Yea thats a great idea EVERYONE would like to build thru the draft now more than EVERY. With the rookie salary cap you can get cheap & young talent. But there has to be some veteran presence on the team. You cant start 22 rookies. Let me ask you this would you rather have re signed Calvin Pace or James Harrison 1 guy had a average career at best. The other guy was a STUD!

15. By Tom Spicer on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, To chime in on the whole Tavon Austin thing while I really like the guy & I think he will be really good. I would resign Braylon for the veteran minimum. Then you have Holmes, Braylon, Kerly & Hill. At that point we will be fine at that spot. We need a QB, RB, TE, Guard, OLB & Saftey ALL before we get a WR.

16. By Tom Spicer on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

The NFL will unveil the 2013 regular-season schedule on Thursday night. At least this gives us something to look forward to with nothing going on.

17. By Tom Spicer on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

NFL.com’s Gil Brandt believes West Virginia WR Stedman Bailey will likely be a third- or fourth-round pick. We think Bailey has a shot to be a second-round pick. He will attend draft weekend as a guest of Geno Smith. Bailey isn’t a flashy athlete but he is a very consistent weapon who wins with routes, especially in the red zone. If this is true this is a guy to target if he falls to the 3rd or 4th round. While he does not get the attention of a Tavon Austin he is very good he had 25 TD’S last year. Yes 25 that is not a misprint!

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom On the Floor Laughing on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

That’s rich, scjoe, re-signing Calvin Pace makes us competitive. And I don’t know how you missed the Sign of Idzik — another 1-yr, $1.5 mil deal, just like Garrard got. Hey, does the Garrard deal make us competitive? Give it up, scjoe, Idzik’s done more in 3 months than Mr T woulda done in 3 yrs and you’re still fighting this rear-guard action to keep from admitting you overreacted in the first few wks of his tenure when he started cleaning house. Ira, I don’t think most of the players we have on the roster are the answer at ANY position. On O, for instance, we have 4 of any consequence, Mangold, Brick, Kerley, and Goodson. I’m with GaryC on this one, Pace = taking up space. Don’t be surprised if some of these “vets” don’t make the squad.

19. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Cimini’s piece on what the Jets are expected to do on D includes the phrase “wrecking ball,” scjoe, which I think takes care of any theory that the re-signing of Pace means we think we’re gonna be right in the middle of it in January. But I’ll cut you a break by way of this paragraph from that same piece, which validates your thoughts at S: “There could be a couple of attractive linemen still on the board, but it would be tough to justify a first-round linemen for the third straight year. They’re also desperate for a safety, but they should be able to find a potential Day 1 starter in the second or third round.” Like I just said, another 1 yr/$1.5 mil deal is hardly a move of any consequence re becoming competitive.

20. By GaryC on Apr 16, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,not sure how many of these quarterbacks are going to be franchise quarterbacks,more likely they will own a franchise,like McDonalds,considering the money they will make.

21. By Randy Lange on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

To all Radar commenters old and new: We’ve had technical issues that had prevented fans from sending in comments to the Radar. We hadn’t received any comments from 5:10 Tuesday evening until about 4:25 today. The first comments have come through from scjoe and Tom, so hopefully this issue is now resolved. Thank you for your patience.

22. By scjoe on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

64, I don’t know about “overreacting” I don’t know whether or not signing Garrard for 1.5 mil or resigning Pace for 1.5 mil will “make us competitive” or not. But what I do know is you didn’t answer the question, or at least didn’t clarify it. My question was “What does resigning Pace do for your “rebuilding” theory? Besides blowing a huge hole in it? See, to me, resigning past their prime vets AND “rebuilding” just don’t go hand and hand. How about you?

23. By RONBO on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, I had vyour back with CHICAGO BOB as I understand exactly where you were going with your post.As for Steadman Bailey i completely agree he is alot better than many are giveing him credit for. The guy I would compare him to interms of skill set is Hines Ward the former Steeler great. They are simular in terms of size speed stuff & they both have the ability to make the big clutch catch when needed.As for Austin, please keep in mind, i have said time again Deon Jordan is my #1 choice followed by J.Jones. But if neither is available & we pick Austin you guys need to realize that would not be the mistake some here are saying.This kid is a threat to score in so many ways.And with our current O personell we need all the help we can get!

24. By RONBO on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

IRA, Except for the part about resigning Pace I agree with everthing else you said!
    I agree we are in no posisition to take on any science projects like Mingo or even Ziggy Ansah! Hey, we still dont really know if Q.Coples is gonna be the guy we saw at the end of last season or the goofball we saw in training came and the early portion of last season? Can we afford another question mark? I see Barnes as a situational pass rush guy and MacIntyre as a nice back-up special team guy.The jury is out on Sapp as he has all the measureables but hasn’t gotten the opportunity to show what he can do.

25. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 17, 2013 | Reply

Like the Talking Heads said on “Uh-Oh, Love Comes to Town,” scjoe, “the answer is obvious” — nothing. You’re being desperately literal to save face. I never said we wouldn’t sign a few low-level FA’s. I’ll talk very specifically even while you keep trying to get over on generalities. I said (1) A smart rebuilding process takes place primarily thru the draft (2) It emphasizes draft picks in almost all rounds who can become starters, like with Cimini’s citing of the amazing ’77 draft (3) It DOESN’T include going after pricey vet FA’s because they can’t turn around a team that needs rebuilding. (4) Teams that are truly close to winning big can go after prime FA’s to get over the top. Few folks on this site seem to disagree with any of this.

26. By carolina jet fan on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

No doubt Austin has LARGE talent- I’d like to see stats on SF,NE, and BALT. For 60 minutes -what % was the O on the field, what % was D on the field. ALL of us Jet fans do not want to lose games 35-31. My #1 hope in this draft is to stop giving Tom Brady 6-8 seconds to find a target because he will hit it.

27. By scjoe on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

64, “to save face?” With who exactly? You have gone on record, right here on Randy’s Radar stating, and I quote, “I am not in favor of signing ANY free agents!” Until they are signed, right 64? You have gone on record here as well stating how intelligently Idzik was going about “gutting the roster” of all the over the hill over paid vets (until he either signs some OR resigns some) isn’t that true 64? I can’t quote from any book, movie or song right now, so I will use my own analogy, that my friend I would describe as “wishy washy” And the simple fact that some may agree, doesn’t mean it is right.

28. By Chicago Bob on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

You put it best Spicer when you described Harrison – WAS a stud. I’m not saying they shouldn’t have a veteran presence on the team however veterans who still have something left in the tank. I recall when we brought in Ronnie Lott and Leonard Marshall and the rest of that gang – all players who had nothing left. Ronnie Lott was perhaps the greatest safety who ever played the game however watching him out there was almost as sad as watching Willie Mays fall down in center field with the Mets. The vets Idzik is bringing in will help in the locker room & they still have some good football left in them. Harrison & Woodson do not otherwise they would have been picked up already. Haven’t we thrown enough money away already on Sanchez, Holmes, etc

29. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, as the Dead so mournfully sang, “I don’t know but I been told in the heat of the sun a man died of cold.” What does that have to do with anything? It’s my intro to saying believe it or not, I do have a job and a life out here, even if it doesn’t seem that way some days! And so when I said I wasn’t in favor of signing any FA’s, I meant — and I think most people on this site know I meant — any FA’s of consequence in terms of cost. If it pleases you, I’ll clarify: I have no problem with signing a couple of 1 yr/$1.5 mil stopgap guys, as Idzik has done. I’m even okay with a Goodson or Ivory here and there if they don’t cost too much. But the bulk of my argument is the 4 pts above about drafting. P.S. With that sked, 6-10 will be tough.