• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Chrebet to Announce Jets’ 2nd-Round Draft Pick

Posted by Randy Lange on April 18, 2013 – 9:29 am

Wayne Chrebet will be representing the Green & White in primetime again, this time on Friday, April 26, when the former Jets wide-receiving great will step to podium in Radio City Music Hall and announce the Jets’ second-round selection, the 39th pick overall, of the NFL Draft.

Chrebet will be one of 32 legendary NFL alumni, one for each team, who will announce their teams’ selections in the second/third rounds of the draft.

Chrebet, of course, is the Jets’ iconic wideout from Garfield, N.J., and Hofstra University who signed as an undrafted free agent after the 1995 draft and rose from 10th on their training camp depth chart to make that ’95 team as well as the next 10 Jets teams before retiring following the 2005 season.

No. 80 is second in franchise history with 580 receptions, third with 7,365 receiving yards and third with 41 receiving touchdowns. Playing in 152 regular-season games with 104 starts, he set the Jets mark for rookie receptions with 66 in ’95 and established career highs with 84 catches in ’96, 1,083 yards in ’98 and nine touchdown grabs in ’02.

Two other players with Jets ties are among the 32 alumni who will be making these team draft choice announcements a week from Friday. QB Mark Brunell (2010-11) will announce the Jacksonville Jaguars’ second-round pick and DT Tony Casillas (1994-95) will reveal the Dallas Cowboys’ No. 2 choice.

This year’s announcements of draft picks by NFL greats is a continuation of the program that began in 2011. DT Marty Lyons, the Sack Exchange stalwart and Jets’ radio analyst, made the second-round call in 2011 and Wesley Walker handled the second- and third-round announcements last year.

Tags: , , , ,

37 Responses to “Chrebet to Announce Jets’ 2nd-Round Draft Pick”

1. By IRA on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Very well deserved honor for Chrebet. If the Jets don’t take a WR in rd 1 there is a good chance he could be calling out a TE or WR with his pick. If Idzik could find a few more like Chrebet the Jets will be on the right track.

2. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

“And now Wayne Chrebet will announce the 2rd pick for the NYJ”…
    With the 39th pick..The NYJ selects…Zach Ertz – TE / Stanford OR Tyler Eifert – TE / Notre Dame….

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

I like this trend of letting great Jet WRs announce draft picks, as it might remind Rex — or more properly, instruct Rex — that WR is second only to QB in importance in pro football these days. Rex’s dismissive talk about “drafting a WR that high” last yr when he couldn’t decide if he was going to take credit for Hill (yes after Game 1) or not (no after all the other games) was a disgrace. I also like this quote from a poster on ESPN:
    “Idzik appears to be almost as good as Belichick in speaking to reporters and giving them absolutely nothing to write about.”
    I agree and it’s exactly what this franchise has needed since about a week after Rex arrived in Florham Park.

4. By neauone on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

This is probably the most important pick of the entire draft, except say ANOTHER number 1 OR If Star. Austin, or Jordan falls to us at number 9.

5. By GaryC on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Chrebet needs more face time,he needs to announce two selections in the second round,get this deal done.

6. By Tom Spicer on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Chrebet is all heart. He is 1 of my all time favorite Jets. The Jets need more players like him he laid it all on the line every play in every game. I would take 22 Chrebets any day of the week!

7. By Tom Spicer on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

In todays paper it says the Jets really like Manuel. I have watched many games with Geno Smith, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson & Matt Barkely. But I have seen ZERO games with Ryan Nassib & Mike Glennon. I did happen to see 1 game with Manuel anyway I have a co worker who is a Seminole fan & he doesnt think he is good. I know a few of you guys have said you want the Jets to take him. Can some of you tell me why you like him? I honestly am nervous about this 1 the paper said the Jets may take him in the 1st round & if a guy who is a Seminole fan doesnt like him THAT AINT GOOD!

8. By IRA on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Tom,
    My opinion of EJ is that he has the most upside of any of the QB’s. His size and arm are big time and i think once he gets better at ball security and some of his footwork while throwing he has a chance to be a very, very good QB. I like Glennon too but i think this game is starting to go in the direction of getting more mobile QB’s and maybe someday the true pocket style QB will be only a handful.

9. By RONBO on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, I like him but not at pick #9 or even #13. I think he has a lot of upside as he has the size,armstrength and very good speed for a big Q.B. What I dont know is how NFL ready he is?Can he read defenses,pocket awareness?Decision makeing? Those all remain to be seen.My concern is he gonna sit in the pocket and let the play develope, or is he gonna take off & run when he feels the heat?Until we see these kids under pressure I dont know how anybody can know for sure how they will react.At pick#39 yes I would take him.

10. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom for a Smart Draft on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

I’ve barely seen any of those QBs once, Spice, so I can’t help you there, but I’m sure one of our college experts will speak up.

11. By scjoe on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, re: EJ Manual, aside from the obvious, the size, speed, arm strength, all the things that are a prerequisite to play in the north east, Manual was very productive in college, his 25-6 WL record at FSU was a best ever! And for any FSU fan to downplay what he has accomplished would mean there are ulterior motives. His all time completion percentage at FSU was 66.9% best ever! That is also 2nd best in ACC history. Not enough? He is a 2 time member of the all ACC academic football team. Further, although the read option will one day be remembered as just another fad, he is a natural for it beginning his career. The only problem? He will not be there for the NYJ in the 2nd round.

12. By scjoe on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, just to expand on Manual for a minute, pre combine he was regarded as a 4th or 5th round pick, I predicted he would shoot up the boards following the combine, the senior bowl and his pro day. He did! Now, I strongly agree that he will go in the 1st round, maybe late 1st round, but 1st round. Best case scenario for the NYJ? Make the TB trade, trade the #13 down to the 20s, and select Manual. Of course there is no science in the NFL draft, strange things have happened before, but I would be shocked to see him fall to 39 overall.

13. By carl on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

#80, now thats what the Jets were about !!!workin mans team!!! the underdog pullin out a win!!!! how many times seein Wayne Make That Catch For a First Down OR A TD!!! Man I miss That!! You and Curtis are The Only Jerseys I Don With Pride!!! MESSAGE TO TOP BRASS! AT THE DRAFT FOR ONCE, DRAFT SOMEONE CROWD CAN CHEER ABOUT!!!!! GO FASTER JETS!!!!!!!

14. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

“Can he read defenses, pocket awareness? Decision-making?” — too bad nobody in the Jets braintrust asked those questions about Sanchez, Ronbo. I said on this very site that we definitely shouldn’t take him, then got snowed by Rex and all the hype as the pick drew near. As you can see, I’m not up for making THAT mistake again! Yeah, I know, “Which mistake? Picking the wrong QB or listening to Rex on the subject of QBs?” BOTH!

15. By MIKE on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Some experts say the best teams are the teams who have a combo of elite QB, O line and D line play. Well if that is the case than I hope the Jets take either Star/Floyd at 9 and Warmack/ Cooper at 13 if the trade goes down. Then take the best QB available in 2nd round.

I really hope the Jets get it right this year. Too many 2nd and 3rd rounders sitting on the bench during the season.

16. By IRA on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

This schedule is some big challenge and funny how the NFL opens it with the ? led Bucs. Can’t believe they gave us another Thurs nght game with the Pats especially their home opener. Well buckle up those chin straps and bring it on.
    GO JETS!!!!

17. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

I don’t usually like to get into this stuff on the site because I think the site should be a refuge from the troubles of the world. But I’m astounded at this Tweet from Stevie Johnson about bombing Foxborough. Seems like God or the Gods or the fates or whoever taught him a lesson, if a hugely painful one for us all as well, by having the terrible actual bombing in Boston take place right after his incredibly careless, far-from-funny comment. Why do some people think violence is a joke? Why do some people who’ve never had the misfortune to witness any violence seem to think it’s the biggest joke? As Hendrix said, “Try to learn instead of burn,” Stevie. And stay off Twitter until you’re not so stupid! (Twitter itself is stupid if you ask me.)

18. By SCfromNY on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

While I do not think any QB this year should be taken by the Jets in round 1 I do like Glennon in later rounds. He preformed very well with poor receivers. He also has a huge upside. Many of the QBs seem to be at a level where there is not a lot of room for improvement. I like his comparrison th Flacco.

PLEASE NO MORE USC QBs!

19. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

64 tom– “Don’t Press Send!”,,,, wise quote from Herm Edwards… Stevie Johnson = STUPID..

20. By SQUIRREL on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

If it is true that the falcons and the Vikings want to trade up then I might see the logic in insisting on getting this year’s picks for revis. If we have the 9th and the 13th we can trade 1 to Atlanta for their 1st and second or something else, and we can trade the other to the Vikings for their 23 and 25th.

Who’s with me.

21. By RONBO on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Not bad Squirrel, if Deon Jordan is not available and we trade Mevis, I would trade the #9 & 13 picks to Atlanta & Minn. for there 1st,2nd & 4th rd picks.With the piks from Tampa that would give us 7 extra picks which we can really use.The experts keep saying the strength of this draft is in its depth so why not take advantage of that? Good call bro.

22. By GaryC on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Funny how a lot of my under the radar guys early in the year are beginning to get recognized,Justin Hunter,Arthur Brown,Bjorn Worner,Zac Ertz,Sam Montgomery,also my guy Montee Ball,for now with the signing of Goodson,might not be a priority.But many of these guys will prove better then the workout warriors,Ansah,Patterson,Mingo,

23. By GaryC on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

When making a deal prior to the draft,that player has to be a cut above,that is why teams will move up,that is why I hope someone falls in love with Geno Smith,the jets could deal the ninth pick and move down in the late teens or twenties and select someone just as good for their many needs,but you cannot deal down so much where there is a run on a certain position,and you are out of position to select,that is why their are big boards for teams.TRADE SMARTLY,NOT CRAZILY.Of course a lot of this is based on a Revis deal with already that extra number one in your pocket.

24. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

The reason I told MJV just now that I’m okay with a #2 QB pick this yr, scjoe, as opposed to any lower is because I don’t think Manuel will be available below our #2. And though I haven’t seen all the college QBs like I watch the pros, he looks pretty good to me. I’m trading up like that would work, I’m sure Idzik’s on it. Some people don’t seem to have caught on yet that he’s not too sentimental about what’s on our roster at the moment. Hell, he won’t even keep building Revis’s ego up to the size of Mt. Everest like Rex did for 4 yrs!

25. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, hitting it out of the park at draft time as usual!

26. By scjoe on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

64, I honestly believe Manual will be gone by #39. As I said to Spicer, it wouldn’t break my heart to see the NYJ trade down to the low to mid 20s and Select him there. Some say there is a better crop of QBs in the 2014 draft, I say, “are you 100% sure?” I also say, what if you don’t have a top 10 pick in 2014? Do you still get a better prospect then you would have in the 2013 draft? I think not. Bottom line, go after Manual in the bottom of the 1st round. QB “to me” is by far the biggest need, why not address it sooner rather then later?

27. By Tom Spicer on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Maycock has Manuel as his #2 QB in this years draft & some are saying him & Nassib will go in the 1st round.

28. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft Smart on Apr 19, 2013 | Reply

Surely you’re aware, scjoe, that Idzik can’t be in any hurry to give a lame-duck HC who’s terrible with O, like the HC we have, any special consideration with respect to QBs. Indeed, I can picture Idzik telling Rex, “My boss tells me you’ve messed up with your 4-yr QB and that until you show that you know something about putting pts on the board, you’re not getting another QB to ruin. So it’s “Mark,” Garrard, and McElroy for you and maybe if I’m feeling generous, I’ll pick a QB for you in the 3rd or 4th round. Now go out there and ground and pound to your heart’s content this season for all I care.” In other words, Idzik holds all the cards and Rex holds none, which is exactly as it should be.

29. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 20, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe Tom64. I touted EJ-Manuel over and above Geno weeks ago before anyone knew who he was, He’s all a new aged prototypical QB should be. Tom64 .about your Sanchez comment I invented the why he shouldn’t have been drafted in the 4 th round let alone moving down @5 for him I do like most of your picks and opinions on players, But I much rather take a shot on EJ, he’ll come under the radar not be thrown to the dogs with time to develop, Our Offense needs the help 1st and foremost by way of TE Receiver one more OL. My next big wish is best Edge Rusher available

30. By RONBO on Apr 20, 2013 | Reply

SPICER,AH, check your spelling on Mayock.(not that I’m ever gonna win any spelling bee’s mind you!)MIKE JET Vet, both you,S.C.Joe & I have been touting Manuel for months now so we are in agreement on him.I believe there are some questions about him but I believe he is a better alternative than anyone on our current roster.S.C.JOE, yes I am 100% sure Teddy Bridgewater will be far better than any Q.B in this class.The only possible exception being our guy Manuel.There are others I mentioned earlier who I like too but would like to see more of first.

31. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready to Draft AND Trade Smart on Apr 20, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, MJV, you’ve been on Manuel from the beginning. Judging from what you and scjoe say, it sounds like we could get him between 13 and 39 easily enough if we get the right picks for Revis.

32. By scjoe on Apr 20, 2013 | Reply

64, surely you can’t be serious about Idzik’s relationship with Rex. You can’t seriously believe that If one of the better QBs are sitting there at 39 that he is going to bypass him just to stick it to Rex and to throw up about how “Mark” was handled. I’M sure Idzik knows “Mark” was a mistake and it really wouldn’t have mattered who the HC was during his tenure. At least I hope he knows that. Sorry, I really don’t believe Rex’s fate has been determined, I don’t think it will be until after this season. If there is improvement, you WILL have Rex to kick around next year as well. If not? Maybe your wish will come true after all.

33. By scjoe on Apr 20, 2013 | Reply

Ron, Bridgewater? Maybe better then most in this years QB class. Time will tell, but I don’t see Idzik planning around whether or not he has a top 3 pick in 2014 to select Bridgewater who “maybe” turns out to be the better pro. I see him addressing QB this year. He knows, just like you and I, that QB is a top priority, if not THEE top priority! At least I hope he knows that. I believe, if you don’t see QB addressed in this draft, the questions will begin for John Idzik!

34. By RONBO on Apr 21, 2013 | Reply

S.C.JOE, well it looks like all the Mevis haters are gonna get there wish as Mevis is all but a Buccaneer officially.Time will tell if this was a good move or not but at least it will make this weeks draft even more interesting to all of us here on Randy’s Radar.Now that this deal seems official it will be interesting to see if Idzik will attempt to trade at least one of the two 1st rd picks? I think you are correct and Q.B will be addresed early.How early is what concerns me as I’m hearing Ryan Nassib alot at pick 9 & I am not a fan of that at all.

35. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom for a Smart Draft on Apr 21, 2013 | Reply

I think Idzik might pick a QB at 39, scjoe, but probably not before, especially if we have 2 picks before then as it look like we’re going to. And as for how much Idzik cares about Rex, go read on the NFL site about the Revis trade being finalized. And tell me how likely that woulda been if Mr T was still here.

36. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom for a Smart Draft on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Hey scjoe, in case you look back to this story, you can see from my post above that I told you Idzik would get the Revis deal done, told you we’d have two high picks like we got now, and told you that Idzik wouldn’t give a hoot about what Rex thinks, as he made clear when he answered the question at the press conf about the trade helping the team after Rex waffled on it. Hope your having fun living in your recently-adopted home in The Land of Behind the Curve…

37. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Wayne Chrebet has always been one of my favorite players. He was very exciting to watch and made some great catches. I am glad he will anounce the 2nd round draft pick…