It’s Official: Jets Sign Calvin Pace to New Deal

Posted by Randy Lange on April 22, 2013 – 6:16 pm

The Jets today made it official, announcing the signing of LB Calvin Pace to a new contract.

Pace is a 10-year veteran who spent the past five seasons working the Jets’ outside ‘backer position. He’s been durable while wearing the green and white, playing in 78 of the Jets’ 86 games, including playoffs, with 77 of them starts. And he’s led the Jets over the past five regular seasons with 28 sacks, including a career-high eight in 2009 and three last season, and 12 forced fumbles.

His sacks are the most by a Jets LB in a five-year span since Mo Lewis put up 33.5 sacks from 1997-2001.

Pace, word of whose signing was reported last week, returns to compete for the starting job and playing time alongside Garrett McIntyre, Ricky Sapp, recently signed unrestricted free agent Antwan Barnes and other outside LB candidates who already on the roster and who will be arriving via the draft and free agency in the coming weeks and months.

Tags: , , , ,

75 Responses to “It’s Official: Jets Sign Calvin Pace to New Deal”

1. By GaryC on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Seeing that Rex will not have much say in this draft,I expect to see him in the Radio City seats with the draftniks come Thursday night.

2. By RONBO on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Well, just when we thought things couldn’ be any worse we get to watchPace feebly chasing after his man coming out of the backfield for a T.D. or long gainer!
    Talking about throwing gasoline on a fire? Hey, obviously this is strictly a depth thing but really, does anybody here want to see Pace playing for us this year?

3. By IRA on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Pace is a solid signing considering they didn’t have to pay much and they will lean on him to help the rookie OLB they draft plus lets be honest he will be one of the OLB starters for the year. Barnes is not beating him out.
    Lots of draft talk and its exciting. can’t wait to see how they start to rebuild this team going into the right direction.
    GO JETS!!!!

4. By ivesufferedtoolong on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

who cares

5. By sal cottone on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

Defence first teams do win in the NFL, Rex has to do a masterpiece this year, Morninweg is gonna to better than Sporano, will it be enough?

6. By Howie D on Apr 22, 2013 | Reply

I’m spending my money with the Knicks, until further notice. Gonna get me Carmelo & J.R. Smith jerseys. Those guys love and want to be in New York. Melo went out of his way to be a Knick. J.R. said if the Knicks win the big one he’ll tattoo the logo on his body and that he wants to retire as a Knick. They’ve got their hearts in the right place. They’re thinking like winners on a mission. It isn’t all about the money for them. It’s a lesson millionaire losers should learn.

7. By kleckofan on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

as scjoe pointed out, you can’t fill 53 roster spots in one draft. I’m OK w this signing, I am confident we didn’t overpay. That confidence comes from Idzik.

8. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

I’ll write your post for you today, scjoe: “Hey 64 Tom, now whaddya got to say about Idzik, huh? Doesn’t this 1-yr deal for money that’s probably too embarrassingly low to publicly reveal prove that he’s all in to win the SB this yr? After all, isn’t Pace right up there with, like, Dumervil and Matthews as a major D guy who’ll help us crush high-scoring teams? Boy, you sure were stupid to put any faith in Idzik for three whole, agonizingly long months! Don’t you know he shoulda gotten us 12 new starters already, BEFORE the draft? After all, what is the draft but the breeding ground for all the expensive FA’s that we’d be going after if Idzik knew what he was doing?” That may be more over-the-top than what you’ll write, but just slightly…

9. By IRA on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

I wish Revis all the best but my gut tells me he will still be the best CB in the game but he will lose a step or so and not be the same. Time will tell and one big thing guarantee two years from now we will be talking about him holding out for another new contract.
    So much Mingo talk really scares me. I hope they decide not to take him.

10. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

With the draft 2 days away, let’s reflect on a few moves that I’d argue generated, er, unjustified controversy at the time. Rex Ryan Hall of Famers Pouha and Bart Scott are still out of a job. Edwards, an All-Pro WR in the dreams of some Jet fans who think it’s still 2010, hasn’t been signed by the Jets or anyone else. Even Moore, who clearly has something left in the tank for a team that thinks it’s close, is still available. (It’s telling that CHI went with the younger Slauson over the older Moore.) scjoe told us these moves were cataclysmic. Spicer freaked out over them but now tells us they were “no-duh” and Idzik deserves zilch credit for making them. But the reality is we’ve dumped a lot of deadwood and we have 8 picks on Thursday…

11. By GaryC on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

with the draft approaching a couple of wants,take the CHANCE on warmack,and let ERTZ,put you in the driver’s seat,because if selecting Ansah,he definitely will not be the ANSWER.

12. By GaryC on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

One other note on the draft,stay away from Jamar Taylor,after Kyle Wilson,we do not need another corner from Boise State.

13. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

The best thing the Jets could do is to trade down the 9th or 13th pick & get more picks. Now I know that is very hard to do eveyone wants more picks. But if it can be done that is the best possible outcome.

14. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Now lets say the Jets can not trade down & get more picks. What ever the Jets do NO MILLNER WITH THE 9TH R 13TH PICK! Kyle Wilson is our starting corner he pretty much started all of last year & did okay we need to give him a shot to be the starter all of this year & see how he does. We have to many other bigger holes on other places that need to be filled before corner. QB, RB, TE, Guard, WR, OLB & Saftey I think we should look at these spots ALL before we take a corner!

15. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Good signing. It brings expierence and a leader to the defense.

16. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

“One of the best players out there” remains a legend in his own mind. Sure glad I don’t have to worry about THIS anymore: “Revis, 27, appeared at a Bucs news conference and for the cameras expressed his joy with a deal he called “a great move on my part.” The article from which this quote comes mentioned that “moving on” from the Jets, as Revis put it, “seems to be a continuing process,” as he bitterly suggested that a reporter “should ask John Idzik” why he was traded. Okay, anyone who ever wondered whether this guy was ever gonna change his spots can stop wondering right now. Not only is Revis obsessed with $ and himself, he’s a “sore winner” even after he gets his $16 mil p/yr! Or maybe he knows the Bucs are going nowhere with Freeman…

17. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Looking forward to the draft. I was disappointed for not receiving a 2nd round draft pick for REVI, but I am over it now, IDZIK lets keep going forward which I feel you are going to do. Is it possible to trade RR for a 6th or 7th round pick (lol)….

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, how hard can it be to trade a 9 down to a team that wants to trade up when Mr T traded up at the expense of total picks almost every yr? Then again, you might have a pt, teams have seen how well THAT worked for US! Seriously, it’s not that hard to trade a high pick down and while you were foaming at the mouth yesterday about not getting enough for Revis, this is what I meant when I said that if we trade the 9 or 13 down we can have 5 picks at 72 or below. I don’t know what to say to anyone who thinks 5 smart picks that high, resulting in 3 or more starters and maybe a full 5 guys who make the team and contribute, wouldn’t be just what this team needs. Agree about Pace for depth, Ira, the focus will be on Davis and a rookie LB.

19. By Chicago Bob on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Agree with you 100% 64 Tom, Idzik has dumped a lot of dead wood – appears as if some of the talent on Jets roster was more overrated than we thought. Agree with Spicer, hopefully it is true that SF, Dallas, Atlanta & maybe Minnesota want to move up to the point where one of our two picks is attractive enough to net their 1st & possibly a 2nd – unless Minnesota decides to hire Tannenbaum & he is willing to give us both their first round picks for our #13. I did hear that as of now we have 3 compensatory picks next year – throw in (hopefully) Tampa’s #3 and with two solid draft classes, this mess can be turned around a lot quicker than we thought. Let’s hope Saints will accept a #5 for Ivory. Chances are we would not get that value in the 5th

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, maybe it was on the story before this in which you said you don’t think Revis’ whining over his contract hurt the team. Well, 1st of all, I hate whiners and don’t tolerate them, so I’d trade him just for that. 2nd, the reason I hate whiners is that even if nobody ever says it to their faces, they bring down the spirit, cooperation, and determination needed for a successful team, company, production, whatever. 3rd, there HAVE been Jet players quoted as mumbling about Revis and his obsession with $. 4th, I don’t need a guy whining about $ when his team needs a lot of new players to be competitive again. If Tom Brady can take less $ to see his team stay strong, Revis sure can. But Brady is a winner and Revis, good as he is, is a loser.

21. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Pace role will be mostly veteran leadership. Now to all the Idzik haters.. look at his draft building with the seahawks, this man knows what he is doing. I’m not going to make my full judgement on him until 2014-2015. But for now..he’s doing it the right way. Not like somebody who was here before him just signing away, strapping the team with extensions that make no sense. Giving raises to players who don’t deserve it and letting go of guys who do. Now for the Rex Ryan lovers.. I’ll admit I liked Ryan in 2009..yup I drank the ryan kool-aid. But sooner or later you get tired of the same drink and need a change. Rex is a great DC, but a HC he’s not.

22. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Rex Ryan failed to change when the league went pass happy. He still believed in the run-run-run. SF had the same formula, but at least their HC had the smarts to realize he had to change his way of thinking. This new NFL is all about passing..option QB’s..big fast WR’s..TE’s who can run like a WR and block like an OL. But to make this all work you need a big..aggressive off.lineman, just look how physical SF and Seattle are? HC with defense on mind will not get hired anymore..Look at Lovie Smith..great coach..great defensive mind…had a winning record..but no teams called him..why? Teams want a chip kelly type HC..someone who can open up the offense.

23. By Allan O'Dane on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Let’s see the NYJ build a superior off.line. Get a RB in the 3rd round..grab a TE in second..let’s watch this team get better with each draft. 1st round..Waramack/Cooper or Waramack/Fluker. let’s give the GM a chance to build this team. Revis is/was a great player..but not great enough to win a championship..he doesn’t play QB..he doesn’t run the ball. He got paid 11M a year..the highest paid CB in the league. It was all about money with Revis..if it wasn’t he would have had his people make a deal with SF or Atlanta or Washington..teams that were 1 player away from a SB.

24. By Karan on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

IRA, maybe Mingo won’t be such a bad pick. I read somewhere that his stats went down last season as compared to 2011 because he was forced to play more gap. There was a change in the scheme of D which slowed his production down. Stats aren’t everything I believe. I know Tom64 stated earlier there shouldn’t be a “maybe” or “might” approach in this draft, and even though I do agree, the top two OLBs in the draft are considered to be Jordan and Mingo. Jordan unfortunetly will not be a Jet, we can only hope, so the next option is Mingo. I haven’t looked at Ansah’s highlights yet but he’s also projected to be a first rounder I hear.

25. By Jason on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Here’s what I think:
    Pick #9 Xavier Rhodes – If they don’t take him here he could be gone by 13, and I don’t think you let a player that could possibly replace Revis and take the sting off his departure.
    Pick #13 Jarvis Jones – We all know he’s a beast. He should be productive right away
    round 2- Vance Mcdonald TE or whatever WR they like, or if theres a G like Warford..
    Thoughts?

26. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Kyle Wilson is expected to take over as the Jets’ full-time starting corner opposite Antonio Cromartie. It’s easy to forget that even though Darrelle Revis missed 13 games last year, the Jets had the NFL’s No. 2 pass defense. Give credit to Cromartie, who was borderline dominant as a shadow corner, and Wilson, who held up reasonably well against No. 2 wideouts. The Jets could add competition for Wilson in the form of a draft pick. They’ve been linked to Houston cornerback D.J. Hayden

27. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

This is music to my ears “The New York Daily News says Jets fans “should familiarize” themselves with Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones.
    The nugget comes from beat writer Manish Mehta, the most plugged-in reporter on the beat. The Jets are absolutely desperate for a true edge rusher at outside linebacker and now hold both the No. 9 and 13 picks in the first round. Oregon’s Dion Jordan and BYU’s Ziggy Ansah will likely be gone, leaving Jones as a strong option. Perhaps the most feared pass rusher in the SEC, Jones recorded 14.5 sacks as a junior last season”

28. By Stevesc on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Spicer; I agree with you re: not picking a corner with either of the first round picks… Like you said, there are too many holes to fill before they look at the cb position. Don’t want to see them pick a QB in the first round as well. Would like to see them get the oline taken care of first, with a good tight end to complete the the guys in the trenches. Then go after the rest… IMHO

29. By Karan on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

I am all for the Jets trading down pick #13 to either the Vikings or San Francisco. Trading the 13 for of course two draft picks. Those two draft picks would be between #23 — #35 I believe. Please be smart and get Cooper or Warmack if Jordan does not make it to 9.

30. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

64, fair enough, now I will write YOUR post for the day.. Scjoe, you are right about not receiving fair compensation from the Bucs for Revis, I just don’t want to admit it because of all my prior remarks about the “new regime” also, it is just that I don’t like all the whining Revis does about his contract, I know he is a great player and the NYJ do not have many “great players” but I think that whining is SO much more important then how he performs on the playing field. As for Pace, ya know, the guy I always said was done? Well, I changed my mind now because he is getting paid less. Hey 64, maybe I should write your posts everyday, they make so much more sense (:-)

31. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer, agree with you for the most part. I don’t want to see Milliner with that #9 even if he is still there. The only thing that may take some of the sting out of this trade is if they come out of it with a pro bowl caliber OLB, QB, or OG. Even if it comes from a trade down. But as for Wilson? I don’t have as much confidence in him as you. I think they have to address CB at least by round 4, just as competition for Wilson if nothing else, the loser of that competition will probably end up covering the slot receiver because I sure don’t see anyone else on the roster “yet” who can.

32. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Tom 64, You have reading PROBLEMS & you refuse to answer direct questions what part of “Idzik had to cut those guys to get under the cap” Do you not understand? H edid nothing of substance he did what HE HAD TO DO just to get under the cap! Do you understand this or do you have a mental issue?

33. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Hey GaryC..you’re a poet, and you don’t even know it! LOL. But how about convincing the warden on Dion Jordan? Or how about a little Bingo with Barkevious Mingo?

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom for a Smart Draft on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

From a very informative Cimini piece on Idzik and the stakes of this draft: “Idzik isn’t looking for a quick fix. In fact, he has sent out word that he’s looking to trade down, acquiring extra picks. This will be a long, slow process to rebuild the Jets. “He’s very deliberate and unflappable, with strong opinions,” [SEA GM John] Schneider said.” So those who hope to miraculously go 8-8 and then heroically beat great teams on the way to SB glory have been warned — Idzik lives in the real world. I never thought I’d see Jet fans, who’ve been fed so many failed quick fixes, object to the most level-headed rebuilding effort this franchise has seen in over 40 yrs. I thought it was the kids who had the ADD-win now thing going on, not the vets.

35. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom for a Smart Draft on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

scjoe and MJV, Cimini says Pace got 940K and a 65K signing bonus. That’s about as cheap as anyone can sign a vet with his experience and time in with his most recent team, and I think it makes clear he’s hardly part of the Jets’ future. I fully expect Harris, Davis, and whatever LB we draft high will lead in snaps, followed by Pace and Barnes fighting it out in the 4th slot and guys like McIntyre and Bellore trying to make the case that they ARE part of the future. And I think you’ll see a similar mix of cheap vets, high picks, and young players at S, WR, RB, and OL. That’s what this yr’s shakeout is gonna be about, maybe with a draft pick QB in the mix, maybe not. 2 yrs of this should be all it takes to get us competitive again for real.

36. By joeyjets12fla on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

i told everyone in nov. i wouldn’t be back until the draft. but, i do read the radar daily. and i watched every game until the end of the season, stomach is still in knots. tom64, spicer, and gary c, thanks for entertainment, debate, banter, and insight the last 6 weeks. i’m having surgery thursday morning about 6am. so, i hope i’m clear headed come 8 pm. okay my wish list for the first 2 rounds of the 2013 draft. 9th pick take mingo, 13th trade to new orleans for ivory and their 2nd and 4th. in the second the 39th take tyler eifert, at the 47th pick i think from new orleans grab matt elam fs from florida. with the trade we get a really good rb and we get 9 picks over all. just food for thought.

37. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport expects the Steelers to be Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones’ floor on draft day. “If I even get to 17, I don’t think I get past the Steelers,” Jones said. The pure outside linebacker will appeal to teams who utilize three man fronts, like the Jets, Saints, and Colts. This is the pick this is the pass rusher we have needed for years!

38. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

In the draft if the Jets do not get Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan with the 9th pick the need to select a offensive player. NO Mingo, Azash, Werner or any other question mark / guys that do not fit our system. Also with the 13th pick Ken Vaccaro or a offensive player. No so called upside big time bust guy. We have to many needs on the offensive side of the ball. Last night Mayock had us taking Tavon Austin WR at 9 then taking Eifet TE ND at 13. At 9 pass rusher or offense at 13 Vaccaro or offense. Get playmakers at WR, TE, QB or get a Guard!

39. By GaryC on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,if the jets draft Jordan it will bring to mind the old movie HERE COMES MR.JORDAN.just hope he doesn’t do many disappearing acts.

40. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, I’m in agreement with most of your opinions lately. Sorry I have to disagree about K-Wilson Landry and Bell along with Cro got us # 2 or 3 Defense. we got there in spite of K-W not because of him he got burnt more times then anybody in our back end maybe the entire league, he is as bad at CB as Sanchez is at QB. yet K-W and Sanchez are still here , well no value same go’s for T-T that’s 3 heavy spots taken by total busts I say cut our losses no matter what, I’d settle for one good replacement at O/L D/L TE RB CB W/O any one for all three

41. By GaryC on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,so Metha has been in the jets war room and has checked the board,and says familiarize yourself with Jones,it has been my understanding over the years the names you most often hear are not the ones that are not called.this is my nugget of this draft.If Arthur Brown is there in the second round the jets will draft him,because he is a clone of Bruce Irvin who Idzik drafted last year.

42. By GaryC on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Is Jarvis Jones this year’s Melvin Ingram.

43. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Good luck with the surgery, joeyjets! scjoe and spicer, I’m not gonna respond to contrived attempts to deprive Idzik of credit for things that wouldn’t have happened without him. As even Cimini said today, for instance, Revis would never have been traded if Rex still had the influence over the GM that he had. Talk of what Idzik “had to do” re the cap is nonsense considering what a mess Mr T made of the cap. As for Pace and Revis’ whining, scjoe, I already pre-empted you on both and you’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Revis is still whining after signing for $16 mil and Ira, Allan, myself, and others have all properly framed the Pace signing. You’re gonna look mighty foolish about 2 yrs from now but that’s your business.

44. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, good pt about the most talked-about predictions, especially from neophytes like Mehta, never coming true. Funny how last yr the view on this site was that Mehta was the best at making stuff up, now suddenly he’s some kind of oracle. Allan, don’t bother reviewing Rex’s slow learning curve on O, “Mark,” or any number of our other problems. For some fans on this site, he got us to a pair of AFC title games that we lost, one pathetically, and that’s the most success they can imagine in Green and White. Which reminds me, I think when Rex is gone you’ll also see changes to the helmet and uniform, possibly with the added black tones you asked for. The wind that’s blowing seems to be whatever Rex wants to do, do the opposite. Works for me.

45. By Another Tom on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

the first few rounds are really a no brainer for a team with so many needs . No need to reach for players…just take the most solid players available. I would be OK with the best Guard and TE in the first round..Please no reaching for projects! I have a feeling the new GM will be very calibrated with His selections

46. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Here’s a view of the draft that MIGHT chill out the “Why No Big FA’s We Can’t Afford When We Only Need About 15 Starters?” crowd: With even 8 picks — and we might have 9 — we could take a player each at QB, OL, WR, TE, LB, and S. With the other 2, we could draft at RB or get Ivory or draft again at one of the above positions or at CB. With those picks, we could have competition between YOUNG players at just about every position at which we need to improve. With a draft next yr of an estimated 12 players, we could focus on those same needs, even picking another QB like CAR did after picking 3 one yr to make sure we get it right, and then there’s UFA’s. If there’s anything so very wrong with the scenario above, I sure don’t see it.

47. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

64, you never fail to amaze! You HATE whiners? You don’t tolerate whiners? You would cut anyone who whines “if” you were GM? Hilarious! If you ever do wind up a GM of the NYJ I have the perfect assistant for you, he even has some prior experience as former GM of the NYJ. Together you can build the perfect roster, over the hill over priced free agents and choir boys who would never dream about asking for more money when their contracts expire. The upside? You will guarantee yourselves of having a top 3 pick EVERY year, along with the Oakland Raiders.

48. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Gary C, “the names you most often hear are not the ones that are not called” I hope your right because 9 out of 10 things I have read have the Jet taking Barkeviuos or who I like to call Bustivous Mingo!

49. By Tom Spicer on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Gary C, Who did you want to take last year? Who do you think we should take this year with the 9th & 13th picks? Also I say how I feel I dont sit back & make fun of what everyone says I put myself out there maybe you should do the same?

50. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, a few better questions,
    is Jarvis Jones this years Von Miller?
    is Barkevious Mingo this years Vernon Gholston?
    is Ezkiel Ansah this years Jason Pierre Paul?

51. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Tom64, yes we know you’ll spin the signing of Pace every-way you can, It’s a cheap deal, smart move, 940k hello he passed on what I believe to be more important position players for a cheap 1 year deal.wasn’t it against all you believe in rebuilding ? from what I and everybody else here at the Radar has heard you say numerous times.. you’ve been criticizing Mike -T and Rex for the same kind of moves , Newsflash Idzik is making all the same moves,another newsflash any GM don’t care who, would have traded Revis and gotten at least what Idzik did maybe more.. Next any GM with 6-8 Picks more then likely is going to take the best player available so explain whats the great attraction so far.Right in 10 years from now we’ll compete

52. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg is “very high” on Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib, and the Bills are worried the Jets will poach him. As Sal Pal alluded to, the Jets “control the first round” to some extent with the Nos. 9 and 13 selections, either or even both of which could be used as trade bait for a coveted player such as Tavon Austin or if a top-five player surprisingly falls. Both the Jets and Bills have QB needs and are very high on Nassib. “I know one thing for sure in talking to people around the league,” Paolantonio reported. “The Buffalo Bills want Ryan Nassib. But they’re very concerned the Jets will take him later in the first round. So the Bills may be forced to take him at No. 8

53. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

TFY Draft Insider’s Tony Pauline reports the Jets are “looking for a weapon” with one of their first-round picks.
    Pauline believes West Virginia WR Tavon Austin is “now in play” for Gang Green. Pauline’s report comes just hours after CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora passed along that the Jets “like” the explosive 5-foot-9 chess piece. Picking at No. 9 and 13, the Jets have also been strongly linked to guards and outside rushers

54. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,you are right about Mingo,do not want to hear that name as jets pick.

55. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

According to NFL.com’s Albert Breer, “some” teams view the Rams’ No. 22 pick as a “potential landing place” for clubs that want to move up and draft a quarterback in the back half of round one.
    Our tentative expectation is West Virginia’s Geno Smith, USC’s Matt Barkley, Florida State’s E.J. Manuel, and NC State’s Mike Glennon will still all be on the board at the 22nd pick. The Rams will likely use their earlier first-rounder (No. 16) on a wide receiver or perhaps safety, but the 22nd pick may very well be for sale. Clubs potentially interested in a deal like this might include the Jaguars, Eagles, Cardinals, Jets, and Bills

56. By Chicago Bob on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

The main thing here people are missing is the fact Rex may be gone next year which means a new DC and OC and possibly a whole new off. and def. scheme. With that in mind, Idzik is probably going to go the route where he can get players who can adapt to any offense or defense. Best guess is if Warmack or Cooper are available, he will take one to help the OL. Same goes for WR or TE on offense. With defense, he will look at a DL who can play any style of defense, CB or safety. The areas of concern will be QB, OLB & (in some cases DL). As much as I would like to see Brady put on his tail, not sure if a 3-4 OLB is the way to go when the chance exists you may change to a 4-3 in 2014. By Sunday we may know Idzik’s decision on Rex returning in 2014

57. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

According to CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora, there’s “no way” West Virginia WR Tavon Austin would get past the Rams at No. 16.
    That’s been the sentiment for some time, but Austin is extremely unlikely to even make it to No. 16. The Rams seem to have realized this, appearing to lock in on Clemson’s DeAndre Hopkins in recent days. Per La Canfora, the Jets “like” Austin at No. 9.

58. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

“Multiple league sources” believe the Jets will select a guard and a pass-rusher with the Nos. 9 and 13 picks.
    Reliable Jets beat reporter Rich Cimini believes a cornerback could also “be in play.” (The Jets have shown heavy interest in Houston’s D.J. Hayden.) NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported two weeks ago the Jets “may” take a guard at No. 9, while they’ve been connected to LSU’s Barkevious Mingo and Georgia’s Jarvis Jones on the pass-rushing front. Guard and outside rusher are both major trouble spots for Gang Green

59. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,if you have read my posts you know the names I want,Warmack,Ertz,would not be against Eifert,later guys like Rhodes,Arthur Brown,Werner,I would even go Austin as my second first rounder,I might take Glennon as my quarterback as second rounder.I really like Hunter over Patterson,

60. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,NO,COULD BE AND NO

61. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,speaking about last year’s draft,I never had a problem with the jets drafting of Coples,Hill,and Davis,when others wanted Chandler Jones,I also said that Michael Floyd was overrated,just like Golden Tate when he came out of Notre Dame,I was disappointed that they cut Terrance Ganaway,I thought he could help and his teammate at Baylor Griffin,not the quarterback could help the offensive line.

62. By kleckofan on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

scjoe- I don’t know, but I think the team in Foxboro does a pretty good job of cutting malcontents (aka whiners) and have had success doing so.

63. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 1 Day from Big Changes on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

MJV, it don’t take much to spin a 940K signing of a greybeard like Pace, but let’s take a broader view. Mr T went for guys like Holmes, Cro, and LT. His goal, as many have criticized him for, was to win ONE SB any way he could. I wasn’t necessarily against that but when it became clear it wasn’t happening — around the time we couldn’t even snap the ball vs BAL — I started saying let’s go in a new direction. You said give Sanchez 4 yrs, Rex said give him 6 yrs, but I think we woulda been smarter to ask MS to compete for the job IN his 4th yr. We didn’t so here we are. Funny, you had no trouble putting up with THAT kind of mediocrity for a few yrs, why don’t you have the patience to put up with a smart rebuilding effort for a few yrs?

64. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 1 Day from Big Changes on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Good pt about Rex being gone next yr, Chi Bob, and that’s one reason I agree with you about the kind of players Idzik will pick — solid, adaptable guys, not “projects,” not experiments, and certainly not hyped-up obscurities of the kind Rex often gets excited about. Like Arte said to me yesterday on the phone, guys who can start no matter what the position rather than weird picks that reflect Rex’s weird priorities. Yesterday somebody in a mock draft made a good pt about how we’ve been drafting RBs for yrs without getting anyone great. I agree with that though I think if we had a HC who understood anything about O, McKnight might’ve blossomed into more of a threat at RB by now. Anyway, it’s not about “Rex’s scheme” or any of that jive.

65. By RONBO on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, as we are usually on the same page I’m curious about your fascination with Arthur Brown? I dont see him in a 3-4 scheme as OLB’s need to be 6-3 or taller plus over 250 lbs? From what I can see Brown is well under 6-1 about 230? I agree he’s a good player but I’m not sure about the fit with us?SPICER, I’ve been telling anyone who would listen about Austin for the past 2 weeks.The kid is a game changer period! Now, in my moc I have Austin actually helping us in a different way as the Rams are really hot for a play maker to pair with Sam Bradford and Austin is the guy they want.If they would give us their 2 1′s at 16 & 21 I would do it in a heart beat!We could then get Cooper and either Jordan or Eifert and still have our pick at 13.

66. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

kleckofan, take a good look at who NEs QB is. If the NYJ had anything remotely similar to him it would make a whole lot of decisions much easier.

67. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,sometimes I believe a team needs to put a player in the best position to succeed,last year people loved that guy Brown who came out of North Carolina,and he had a pretty good year,he was a track guy and did pretty good with the Titans,I feel that about Brown,too athletic and we know the problems the jets have had covering backs and tight ends.

68. By Tom Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Tom 64, You are mistaken Mike The Jet Vet was anti Sanchez since day 1. I even remember him wanting us to start Kellen Clemens over Sanchez.

69. By RONBO on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, I kind of lump Brown in with Ksame Greenefrom Rutgers,Sean Porter Tex.A&M,Trevardo Williams UCONNJelani Jenkens from Florida. These guys are all 6-0 230lb range, high effort guys. They will all likely have very good NFL careers but I question whether any of them can play OLB in a 3-4 scheme.When you look at the rosters of teams that play 3-4 you just dont see anybody that size? Now, as a fellow draft nut I bow to your wisdom as if you like him that much I think he will probably prove you right. Good job Bro, you won me over!

70. By RONBO on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

RONBO’s top 10 Wide Recievers
    1(Yes) Tavon Austin 5-8 1/2 178 pocket rocket-most dynamic player in draft!
    2-Cordarrel Patterson- 6-2 1/2 215 great speed,seperates,but a knucklehead
    3-Justin Hunter 6-4 190 excellent talent, looses concentration(see Stevn Hill)
    4-Deaandre Hopkins 6-1 200 lacks elite speed 4.5 but does everything well.
    5-Robert Woods 6-1 190 excellent all around talent lacks elite speed,gets open
    5-Terrence Williams 6-2 210 not a burner but makes the tough catch.excellent!
    6-Darick Rodgers 6-3 210 played w/Hunter at Tenn.character issues,big talent!
    7-Keenan Allen, 6-3, 215 great size & talent, injury issues drop him a bit.
    8-Aaron Dobson-6-3 205 marshall- great size speed, a big step up in comp.
    9-Marcus Wheaton-

71. By RONBO on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

9-Wheaton 5-11 190 oregon, fast elusive,the whole package
    10-Q.Patton 6-0 202 la.Tech- a solid pick rd.2
    MID ROUND POSSIBILITIES
    Tavares King-6-0 195 Ga. makes tough catches
    Chris Harper- 6-1 225 Think Antjuan Bolden,stocky,physical type,tough!
    Corey Fuller 6-2 200 Va.Tech has a lot of ability, needs a little time
    Rodney Smith 6-5 220 Fl.St. great size,worht a late rd gamble
    Marcus Davis 6-4 230 Va. Tech see above
    Mark Harrison 6-4-235 Rutgers see above

72. By RONBO on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

SLOT RECIEVERS”
    No I wont put Tavon Austin there!!!!
    1-Steadman Bailey 5-10 190 a better version of JerricoCotchery-play maker!
    2-Ace Sanders – 5-8 180 s.Carolina-closest thing to Austin,not quite as fast
    3-Ryan Swoope- Tex. A.M. can play inside or out,great speed,shifty!
    4-kenny Stills- oklahoma 6-0 190 verdatile,can play in or out,nice player
    5-Marquis Goodwin-5-9 180 Tex. as fast as Austin,not as shifty.track guy!
    6-Denard Robinson -5-11,195 former Mich Q.B,can do a little everthing.
    7-Jasper Collins 5-10 183 Mt.Union Div.3 star,big jump to make?
    8-Connor Vernon 6-0 190 Duke kind of a poormans Welker solid possession guy.
    9-Zac Rogers-6-0 180 Tenn. simular to Rogers,not a deep threat
    10-Josh Boyce-5-11 200 TCU ditto

73. By RONBO on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

TIGHT ENDS
    1-T.Eifert N.D. 6-5 255 the whole package
    2-Z.Ertz Stanford- 6-5 250 not the blocker Eifert is but damn good!
    3-Vance McDonald Rice 6-4 265 very close to the above guys
    4-Travis Kelce-Cinn.6-5,265 best blocker of the class,has the whole package
    5-Gavin Escobar S.D.St. 6-6,255 Jimmy Graham type
    6-Dion Simms Mich.St. 6-6,270 could be a steal if motivated.
    7-Michael Williams Bama, 6-5 270 all around talent
    8-Levin Toledo Stanford-6-8 270 underrated good player
    9-Joe Fauria,6-7 260 size speed pedegree(Christian was his uncle)
    10-N.Kasa,6-6 270 Colorodo,solid late rd pick

74. By RONBO on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, yeah, I know, GET A LIFE!

75. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom at the Dawn of the New Rising Sun on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, you’re right about that re MJV, Spicer. I was against starting Clemens but MJV was proven right on Sanchez. Start over this year and next with new QBs!