Promising Exacta Ticket at the Top of This Draft

Posted by Randy Lange on April 23, 2013 – 4:20 pm

Nine-and-13. If that refers to a major league team’s record after 22 games, it’ll put you off the early pace of the division leader. If the subject is a horse owner’s Derby post positions or a race team’s Indy post position, you’d probably like better.

But positions in the NFL Draft? Now we’re talking.

That’s just what the Jets have at the moment in Thursday night’s first round of the draft at Radio City Music Hall. Their own pick at No. 9 and the No. 13 they acquired from Tampa Bay in the Darrelle Revis trade give them a prized position among the 32 teams, most of which will be spending one pick in Round 1 and none of which have two picks in the top 13 as the Jets do.

We mentioned the other day that the Jets have had that distinction, spending two picks in the top 13 in one draft, just once before since the start of the common draft in 1967. That was 2000, the draft of the “Four Aces,” when DE Shaun Ellis was tabbed 12th and DE John Abraham 13th (ahead of QB Chad Pennington at 18th and TE Anthony Becht at 27th).

But what is the track record of the entire league with two picks in the top 13 of a given draft? There aren’t a lot of examples, but generally those teams that do spend two such high picks fare fairly well in the coming season.

Interesting enough, the last NFL team with this distinction was … those same Jets in 2000 (with an asterisk). In the past 12 drafts, no team wound up using those two picks once it came time to push the chips forward in Round 1.

The asterisk I refer to above is that the Jets weren’t alone in that ’00 selection meeting with two high picks. The Redskins, you may remember, held Nos. 2 and 3 and went for LB LaVar Arrington and T Chris Samuels. Then the Ravens (with a younger Rex Ryan on that coaching staff) spent Nos. 5 and 10 on two offensive players, RB Jamal Lewis and WR Travis Taylor, who weren’t nickel-and-dimers.

Since 1990, that two-in-the-top-13 situation came up 10 times. And a trivia note about those 10 teams is that in the season after they spent those picks, they posted an average improvement in their previous season’s record of 2.5 wins. Eight of the 10 improved their previous record, four made the playoffs (Atlanta ’91, Dallas ’91, Miami ’92 and Baltimore ’00), and the ’92 Colts in part used their 1-2 punch of top pick Steve Emtman and LB Quentin Coryatt to improve eight games, from 1-15 to 9-7.

Splitting the 9 from the 13 for the moment, Since 1990, players selected at No. 9 (… No. 9 … No. 9 … ) have fared pretty well. Not every nine was a winner, but T Richmond Webb (Miami, ’90), RB Fred Taylor (Jacksonville, ’98), LB Brian Urlacher (Chicago, ’00), DT Kevin Williams (Minnesota, ’03) and RB C.J. Spiller (Buffalo, ’10) are among the best.

As for players who were plucked at lucky 13, there are TE Tony Gonzalez (Kansas City, ’97), LB Takeo Spikes (Cincinnati, ’98), John Abraham by the Jets in ’00, WR Lee Evans (Buffalo, ’04), and LB Brian Orakpo (Washington, ’09).

Clearly, this is no guarantee that the Jets will hit a two-run homer with both their picks or improve anywhere from 2.5 to eight wins over last year’s 6-10 mark. And if they trade one of those picks and move out of the top 13, then all of this trivia is for naught.

But the Jets have a good, experienced college draft team now led by long-time scout Jeff Bauer, and a new man at the top in GM John Idzik who has said that this draft and every draft will be a lifeline to how the team does in the season(s) ahead. And their 9-13 exacta could be just the ticket for the next favorable development on the road to the 2013 season.

Tags: , , , , , ,

163 Responses to “Promising Exacta Ticket at the Top of This Draft”

1. By RONBO on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe,Ira,Spicer,64,Gary C, or anyone else who’s into the draft; check out my 2 rd moc on the last header if you missed it.Would love to get yout thoughts!

2. By kleckofan on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Randy, thanks for an interesting, thought-provoking piece. I personally think we’ll be trading down (a la Ronbo in the last thread). I definitely do not want a QB at either of these picks if we do keep them. And if we do take a QB I would gamble on Manuel, just gut after watching those QB Camp shows.
    I’m totally OK w going “non-sexy” and grabbing some blue chip OL (Allan O) and would also gamble on OLB.
    We won’t be making any jump in W-L’s like the teams in the article, 2014 will be a different story though!

3. By steven on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

I hope the Jets trade down in picks to get more picks and I hope they get a 6’8 TE and Margus Hunt who will give QB’s nightmares.

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I’m not finding your mock, is it up yet? Print it again here and I’ll respond. Speaking of #13 picks, Randy, there was a great post to one of the many kneejerk negative stories on ESPN about the Revis deal. The sportswriter — can’t remember who it was, maybe someone even more clueless than O’Conner — wrote, “The Jets aren’t likely to get a player of Revis’ stature with the #13 pick.” Then a guy posted underneath, “The Jets got Revis at #14.” This is what I mean about Kiper, Mayock, and a lot of these guys who don’t even seem to follow the NFL. They’re off writing about “Rex Ryan would love” and “Rex Ryan needs” when Idzik is playing it like “Rex Ryan is no factor.” And that’s another reason I doubt we’ll go for Mingo, Ira.

5. By kleckofan on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Cimini posted a rant from author George R.R. Martin (Game of Thrones) who apparently is a Jet fan from Bayonne.
    Martin’s take on the Revis trade is perfect coming from a Sci Fi writer. He thinks the Jets got “rooked” and Idzik should be fired, he wants Tanny back says its never a good idea for a team to trade its best player. Really? who says? What a numbskull. Its like being preached to about politics by a movie star.
    Man oh man, for those on here arguing the same case, maybe SciFi is your thing too…fantasy, fantasy.

6. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

When fighting off panicky Jet naysayers, it can be hard to see past the hysteria about stringing Idzik up before he’s even handed in a Jet draft card. But let’s take a look at another good thing that’s happened only since Revis was dealt less than 2 days ago. The second that deal happened, the less fear-driven of us on this site started speculating about trading down one of our high picks. Today Cimini reports that’s exactly what Idzik plans to do. Cimini also says Idzik has historically damned the torpedoes, ignored flashy picks and trades, and built smartly and patiently. That’s what I predict he’ll start doing Thursday and when he does, maybe the ghosts of Mr T and past bad Jet drafts will at least partly, finally be laid to rest.

7. By MIKE on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Please no Geno Smith. That’s all I can say.

8. By GaryC on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,I wonder why the Rams would trade two number one’s for a 5’9 slot guy.They have many needs to fill,one being their secondary.they are not one player away from contending.

9. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

As for R.R. Martin’s laughable criticism of the Revis trade and the start of Idzik’s tenure, I guess when you write long, boring, meaningless nonsense that goes nowhere dramatically, offers little in the way of satisfying action, and mostly features just a lot of blowhards talking endlessly about nothing to no point…you expect your favorite football team to look like that too. Which it did under Mr T and Rex but it doesn’t now. So the R.R. whose idea of a cool show is DEADWOOD meets LORD OF THE RINGS only with none of the strengths of either and the R.R. in Florham Park who thinks Trent Dilfer plus Jim Brown equals a SB contender can stick to the fairy-tale worlds they belong in, I’ll take the real world of the Jets that starts Thursday.

10. By GaryC on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,how do you have Teo going before Eifert,you have a scoop if that happens.

11. By joeyjets12fla on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

did anyone see the tweet from Gino Smith that the NFL put on there site? read it and you’ll undertand my reaction. hey, gino, shut up you haven’t even been drafted yet. another diva that’s going to be millionare.

12. By IRA on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    Sorry man could not find your mock draft. My gut tells me if possible they turn 9 and 13 into three or four picks. I would be very surprised if they pick at both spots. Imagine Geno Smith is on the board at 9 I for one would not take him. If they do I will be a big fan but with lots of question marks. Still think they need to take the safest pick or picks early and take at least one of the OG’s.

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

I just had a great talk with Arte Old School on the phone and he made a great prediction: Idzik is gonna go for all O players in the early rounds. Which made sense to me because (1) Idzik has improved the O markedly everywhere he’s worked (2) We might have the worst O in the NFL (3) Idzik hasn’t even come close to doing Rex a favor of any kind yet, and (4) When Rex rushes in raving about Mingo or some CB from a 3rd-rate school, I can see Idzik saying, “Rex, you got your Wilson, Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples, and Davis these last few yrs. Go get a bunch of Pro Bowl yrs outta those guys if you’re so great on D, stop with the “He’s not ready” bench-riding jive, and leave me alone to figure out how we’re gonna score more than 17 pts a game this yr.”

14. By since shea on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

I wonder if by trading somewhat down in the 1st or trading up for another 1st rounder late (yes a third first round pick), can we get Jordan or Jones (9th) and Lacey (RB) and (RT) Fluker for the other two picks? A 3rd or 4th round tackle/guard like Dallas Thomas to push Ducasse to the bench and a 3rd or 4th round corner like Slay would work for us too. Thats 5 picks. Add a TE and another LB? Next year Teddy Bridgewater. Or, lets get stupid and put Austin in the slot with Stephan Hill and Ertz as the TE on one side and Santonio on the other side. Get some beef up front to block. Get a couple of LB’s and lets slug it out.

15. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

RONBO read your draft senerio, would be great if it happens the way you described it, I am all for it. I am glad you had several of my choices in there. But now it’s a wait and see game. Thursday at 8pm will tell all. As I said in a previous post. I went shopping got me some provolone cheese , pepperoni, Ritz crackers and a 6 pack Coors regular to watch the draft with. You pop corn guys don’t know what your missing (lol)… LETS GO IDZIK AND THE JETS…..

16. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

64, SURE hope you didn’t miss Cimini’s piece today entitled “Game of Thrones” author. Yea, yea, yea, I know exactly what you are going to say, “who is this guy?, where are his credentials?”( Do you watch The Game of Thrones on HBO by chance?) Actually, his credentials are the fact that he is a long time Jet fan, just like you and me, no more, no less as far as I’m concerned. But he makes a lot of sense to me, except the part about firing Idzik and bringing back Mike T. But I interpret that as sarcasm.

17. By scjoe on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

Ron, I replied to it in the same thread. But I will repeat my concern, you really have to get out more. LOL!

18. By Howie D on Apr 23, 2013 | Reply

An old champion name Jimmy Johnson says “having multiple draft picks is great, but it’s what you do with them that matters.” Sounds obvious, but this could an early indicator of what Izzy’s bringing to the table.

19. By blastingzone on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Nice work one of the better articles I’ve seen lately! I believe (I have no choice)
    that the jets will take two players that will start right away and make a huge
    Impact!! The only other possibility is they trade down and get a lower #1 pick
    and a # 2 but it depends how the board plays out and they may trade down
    with both picks and get two lower first round picks and two 2nd rd picks which
    would give us three! My guess is they will hold on to #9 and trade down with 13th
    pick? Wow this going to be the most exciting draft since 2000!!

20. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 2 Days from Big Changes on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Hey Spicer, here are some lines from Brian Costello’s thoughts in the POST on the Revis deal, in which he also talks of watching DR practice and says, “You did not have to know much about football to know he was the best player on the field.” Yeah, that’s just it with some of these writers, they don’t know much about football. And they’re more interested in this kind of sentimental slop than winning games: “It’s really sad that it has come to this. I was thinking of the kids with their Revis jerseys trying to understand why the Jets just dumped their favorite player. Good luck to the parents who have to explain the business of football.” And good luck to us fans who have to explain the game of football to you, Brian!

21. By Jersey Rich on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo – loved your Mock draft but Jets nation would need a whole lot of LUCK to come anywhere close… Enjoyed it though.

22. By Frank on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Revis shows how selfish he is and has zero class trashing Idzik and the Jets. Its always been about him and he is NOT a team player we got rid of a major headache. No one especially a corner is worth 16 mil except a franchise QB Tampa did us a huge favor.
    Idzik better not pick Mingo or Smith at 9 or 13. Smith is not a top 20 pick and Mingo did not get it done in college. Its time we start picking players who got it done not prospects.Personally I would like to see us trade back and accumulate more picks. There are plenty of good players in the back half of the first round and we have so many holes to fill.

23. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

If you go by Idzik’s past drafts you have to think Xavier Rhodes is high on his list,a physical corner like Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner who he had with the Seahawks,Just hope he doesn’t think Eddie Lacey is his answer to Marshawn Lynch.

24. By RONBO on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, the Rams are desperate for a dynamic play maker for Bdadford and Austin is really the only option in this draft unless you wanna gamble on Codarrel Patterson?
    As for Teo Vs Eifert, I think the Bears nned a replacement for Urlacher and Teo iits the bill.But no, I have no inside info, probably just wishful thinking on my part.I was more interested in getting guys here to think about the upside to possibly tradeing down. Like the so-called experts,I have no clue what will actually happan!

25. By RONBO on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe,64 & Spicer, How’s this sound,
    1-K.C.=Luke Joekle T
    2-jacksonville =Eric Fisher T
    3-okland = Star Lotuleli D.T
    4-Philly = Deon Jordan OLB
    5-Det.= Lane Johnson T
    6-Cleve=.Dee Millner C.
    7-Arizona= Chance Warmack G
    8-Buffalo =G.Smith or R.nassib Q.B.
    9-Jets- trade wRams for #16 & 22 Rams take T.Austin W.R
    10-Tenn.= Ziggy Ansah OLB D.E
    11-S.D.= Shariff Floyd D.T
    12-Miami =Xavier Rhodes C.B
    13-Jets trade w49ers for #31 & 34. 49ers take K.Vaccaro
    14-Carolina = Sheldon Richardson D.T
    15-N.O’s = B.Mingo OLB
    16-Jets from Rams = Jonathan Cooper G
    17-Pittsburgh=D.J hayden C.B
    18-Dallas = E.Reid S
    19-Giants = D.J Fluker O.T
    20-Bears = Mante Teo MLB
    21-Cinn.=C.Patterson W.R.
    22-Jets from Rams T.Eifert T.E.

26. By RONBO on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

33-Jacksonville Keenan Allen W.R
    34-Jets from 49ers=Jarvis Jones OLB
    35-Philly J.Cyprien S.
    36-Detroit E.Lacey R.B
    37-Cinn.=M.Watson OT
    38-Arizona Matt Barkley Q.B
    39-Jets=M.Elam S – so we can get 4 certian starters plus a potential franchise Q.B in 2 rounds leaving us with picks in rds 3,4,5,6 & 7!When you consider we will have at least 12 picks in 2014 we can turn this around very quickly.

27. By RONBO on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

IRA & 64, My Moc is on the JETS O.K Buc’s to check out Revis header! Please keep in mind it was done more to point out the option of tradeing down can basically put us in posisition to pick up 4 starters plus a possible Q.B of the future in only 2 rounds.Its not about who we pick but getting the most bang for our buck.S.C.Joe, if we did get the Rams 2 picks for our #9 (and get one of the guards plus either Eifert or J.Jones there is your impact player!So why not trade down with Atlanta or S.F and mabey get 2 more starters.Hey, we need bodies!

28. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Ron, I think you know how I feel about selecting an OG and a TE in the 1st round. Actually, the 2nd round sounds much better then the first. Also, the value is definitely there in the swap with ST.L not so much with SF. I wouldn’t give up the 13th overall for the #31 in the 1st plus a 2nd, toss in a #4 and maybe.

29. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I love the draft good work.

30. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Post of the day goes out to Howie D…”Having multiple draft picks is great, but it is what you do with them that really matters” Exactly the reason I always say building through the draft is great “if it is done correctly” if it is NOT done correctly???

31. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

ESPN New York’s Rich Cimini believes the Jets are unlikely to take a QB in the first-round.
    Cimini lists guard Jonathan Cooper, guard Chance Warmack, tight end Tyler Eifert, LSU pass rusher Barkevious Mingo, and Georgia pass rusher Jarvis Jones as possible targets.

32. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

The “general consensus” is that the Jets will select a G early in the draft, according to insider Tony Pauline.
    Pauline also added the Jets “are looking for a weapon.” Obviously Tavon Austin fits the bill, but don’t be surprised if Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert is considered. Both Cooper and Warmack could be taken earlier than expected, especially considering the perceived positional value

33. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

ESPN’s Todd McShay suggested on SportsCenter that West Virginia’s Tavon Austin is in play for the No. 8 overall pick. McShay said Austin is a hot name and he’s “even heard in the last couple days there’s a possibility that the Bills could take him at No. 8.” We wonder if the division-rival Bills and Jets are jockeying against one another at Nos. 8 and 9. Word leaked early Wednesday that the Jets might poach obvious Bills target Ryan Nassib in the first round. Now, the Bills may be spreading word they’re willing to select likely Jets target Austin before New York goes on the clock.

34. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, how certain are you that Idzik had that much input in the Seahawks drafts? After all, he was their cap guru there, not their GM. I believe Schneider and Carroll had 90% of the input between them.

35. By kleckofan on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo- as I said in the thread you first posted this, I like it, don’t think J.Jones falls to 34 though.
    The logic on St Louis wanting a dynamic playmaker makes good sense and so does Teo to ChiTown. Personally I don’t like Teo, again mostly just gut (and the Bama game) and I don’t think the whole fake girlfriend fiasco will ever allow him to be respected in the locker room. Jocks will be jocks, and there won’t be any sympathizing.
    JFFrank64- love the menu pisano, moderation in all things my friend.
    Frank- agree, no CB worth $16m, not with todays multiple WR sets and talent at TE; take away the best w Revis and they burn you elsewhere.

36. By Jason on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Xavier Rhodes PLEASE!! He’s huge! talk about someone who can cover the Pats TE’s. He is strong, big, physical. I like him better than Dee Milliner. All he did at Florida state was make plays. He’s the safest pick you could make. Pick #9 Rhodes pick #13 Jarvis Jones if he’s there.

37. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

One positive about this draft is the Jets need a QB, RB, WR, TE, Guard, OLB & Saftey. So they can just go with the best player available & not have to worry about position need.

38. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 1 Day from Big Changes on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

While there are plenty of folks here more up on draft horse-trading than me, Ronbo, I can see Cooper and Manuel but I don’t know about the Rams going for Austin. I’m not sure anybody ‘s gonna take him that high, I think some of these writers are high thinking a guy that size is a lock to have a big NFL career. I know what Rex “Living in the Past” Ryan might say, of course — “He’s another Warren McVea!” — since Rex’s awareness of the game seems to stop at around 1975. scjoe, you’re REALLY scraping the bottom of the barrel siding with a lame fantasy writer who obviously understands nothing about either the game or the business of football, as everyone on ESPN said. One more day till we all have something more real to talk about.

39. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Ron, after all is said and done I think there is a good chance that the #9 comes down to Jones, Mingo, Warmack or Cooper. If they trade that #9 down, same holds true for the #13. One step further, if they trade neither I think you will see a Warmack/Mingo combo or a Cooper/Jones combo. However, I am still hoping Jordan is there at 9. No chance of him being there at 13.

40. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

People, I think it is time to stop with the “sure thing” predictions (Warmack, Cooper etc.) and the potential bust predictions (Mingo, Ansah etc.) There are just way to many variables and you really can’t compare them to other players who just happened to be “sure things” or “busts” 2, 3 or 4 years ago.

41. By Tom Spicer on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Chicago Bob made a good point in a prior post depending on what happens this year Rex may not be back next year. So why draft a QB or a 3-4 OLB if we could have a whole new O & maybe run a full time 4-3 next year. We may just go with the best players at positions that can play for any O & any D. Guard, WR, TE, RB & Saftey could all be in play. With pass rusher & QB waiting until next year even thou many will argue that those are the two most important positions in the NFL.

42. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 1 Day from Big Changes on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, you’ve been a little quiet on the draft this yr, what do you think we should do with the picks we got? Maybe a good list of picks from you will help convince scjoe that the Mr T cut-and-paste approach to building a team that MIGHT win for ONE yr is inferior to the smart, long-term approach of building a team that can compete at the highest level for a decade. I guess some Jet fans just can’t conceive of that latter scenario ever happening, or maybe they’re still buying into Rex’s truly bizarre boasts a few yrs ago about how “Me and Mark are gonna be here for the next ten yrs.” That alone shoulda tipped Jet fans off to how out of touch with reality the guy is. Hey Rex, shortest ten yrs on record comin’ right up!

43. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

RONBO as I said before. Your mockj draft is great if it goes that way. I guess we will find out either today or tomorrow. IDZEK has been very quite about what he intends to do which I feel is a good thing. Having a 9th and 13th draft pick this years gives IDZEK a lot of options to either trade down, make trades to go up a few notches and grab a few more picks. I am not going to speculate any more. I am just going to sit back and watch the draft tomorrow. The only thing I do hope for is, that when spring training actually starts we are not going to have the RR, MS, TT circus like we had last year. I am tired of the JETS being the laughing stock of the NFL. I am also tired of us never drafting SMARTLY over the past bunch of years.

44. By IRA on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo. J Jones will never last to #34 its not happening. I could see the Jets taking EJ at the bottom of the 1st rd though. Looking forward to tomorrow night.
    GO JETS!!!!

45. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

(Continued)
    it’s time to make us a winning team. As for REVIS, he is gone, those of you who want to cry, complain or make excuses can not change the fact that REVIS is now in TAMPA and we will get to see him on opening day which I can assure you I will booo him. Time to move forward over the REVIS thingand it’s time for the JETS to DRAFT SMARTLY….

46. By Stevesc on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

I know these aren’t the most glamorous picks, but I would love to see the offensive line and tight end positions taken early. Warmack or Cooper if available, and Eifert or Ertz. This would solidify the oline and take care of a receiving tight end as well. IMHO, this is the nucleus around which the team should be rebuilt. Ronbo, like your mock draft, thinking alike with your first two picks…

47. By RONBO on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

JERSEY RICH & Jet Fan Frank,,thanx, yeah that was fun.I just hope we can pull off a few trades to load up on picks.Everything I read says the strength of this draft is late 1st. Rd. through round 4. I really hope we dont trade up because other than Deon Jordan I dont think theres a fit for us in the top 10 because there are 3 top ten o-tackles,2 D.T’s and I’m guessing at least 1 team mabey 2 will reach for a Q.B. there too! I’m thinking Eagles(Gino Smith) & The Bills (R.Nassib to keep him away from us?)Deon Jordan fits somewhere in most top 10′s so I dont think he will be there for us at#9.In that case why not trade down and pick up some extra picks.Like I keep saying, we need bodies because as of this moment the cubbord is pretty bare!

48. By Karan on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Dion Jordan, Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper, Jarvis Jones, Zach Ertz, DJ Hayden, Margus Hunt, Barkevious Mingo, Desmond Trufant. Honestly, if we can get even 3 of these guys, that would be awesome. Its unlikely though. I haven’t mentioned Eifert because he could be gone late 1st round but Jordan won’t make it to 9th. Realistically, the Jets have a chance of getting the middle 7 or 8 I mentioned. Tavon Austin would be a great option but we have a slot guy in Kerley. Obtaining a G and OLB are the top two priorities for Gang Green right now. After those two, get the TE, WR, CB, S, etc, etc. But really front office, focus on G and OLB first. Protect the QB! And sack him as well!

49. By joeyjets12fla on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

and gino smith is at it again. this is a guy that the new york jets should stay as far away from as possible.

50. By Karan on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Personally, if I was Idzik, I would trade the 13th pick to the Vikings for 23 and 25 and go from there. Better chance of picking Warmack at 9, then later to Ertz, Milliner and whatever have you.

51. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

KLECKOFAN, glad to see you liked my menu for watching the DRAFT, I had to buy an extra peperoni did not want to run out in the 1st hour. It was either that or chew on my finger nails. Should be an interestingt draft. I like RONBO’S trade up schedule be nice if it happened. All the predictions come to an end at 8pm tomorrow now it wait and see if IDZEK is as smart as we think he is based on what he did in Seattle and if he continues to “DRAFTS SMARTLY”!!!!

52. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

64, there seems to be a significant communication gap between you and I. Let me “try” to clarify, at least on my end. I am not, never was, or never will be against the idea of “building through the draft.” You seem to cast me as someone who is. Fact: “building through the draft” is “only part” of what has to be done in order to build a successful franchise! Fact: “building through the draft” is something every team try’s to do EVERY year. Fact: many teams do not succeed, Fact: fewer teams do. Don’t you think that you should at least take a wait and see approach before you anoint J. Idzik as the “building through the draft” Guru? After all, he hasn’t even had his initial draft…

53. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Make no mistake 64, I hope he is successful, VERY successful, I am a NYJ fan, why wouldn’t I? But I will guarantee you this, “if” he is successful, and right now that is ONLY an if, that success will not come exclusively through the draft. You can write that down! Now, if he is NOT very successful, what will your response be? The thing is, we can not answer these questions for a couple of years at least. Meanwhile, I’m sure we will both be watching very carefully.

54. By kleckofan on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

scjoe-
    while there’s lots to talk about here, I wanted to hone in on your short comment about Idzik’s authority while in Seattle. I agree with you, repeat, I agree with you.
    When we hired Idzik I said his bio screamed Tanny (cap guru, paper intelligence guy).
    But, seeing Schneider and Carroll make 300+ transactions in two yrs has to have given him some barometer of what it takes to put together a winner. He looks like a man w a plan, even as many have complained about the deliberate nature of the process.
    Many on here w more insight and more effort into the draft than me…I say go best player, no projects (Mingo, Ansah etc), no QB’s (maybe Manuel).

55. By kleckofan on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

scjoe- returning to the Idzik issue. While I-man got to watch a successful mngmt team at work, Tanny got Rex forced on him, and being in NYC made his baptism more convoluted too.

56. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Jetfantom,do you want me to face the wrath of Scjoe and Tom Spicer again on guys I like,okay.I have said on numerous occasions that Warmack would be my pick at nine,they have no tightends to speak of,so Eifert and Ertz have to be heard if they keep pick 13.Justin Hunter,Arthur Brown,Matt Elam,Sam Montgomery are other names that I like.If they decided to take a quarterback later I might go with Glennon because he has characteristics of a Flacco,tall,strong arm and can move if he has too.People already know who I would stay away from.

57. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,so the jets are going back to a strict cap guy after there experience with Tanny,are you kidding me.Idzik had more input into the Seahawks draft then you think.I am starting to believe if Idzik drafted the next Montana,you would give credit to Rex.

58. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,when it comes to the draft as opposed to signing free agents let me give you an analogy,THE DRAFT IS THE ICE CREAM CONE AND FREE AGENT SIGNINGS ARE THE SPRINKLES,just topping it off to make it a little better.

59. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

jetfantom,I am repeating myself,but also if history repeats itself I also said Rhodes because of the success Idzik had with Sherman and Browner could be on jets radar,phsical corner,total opposite of Cromartie.

60. By GaryC on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

If the jets select Jones or Mingo with number nine,I will take a one day sabbatical,that will make a few happy,I will need time to recover.

61. By MIKE on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Rombo, if the Jets can pull that off you should run for president.The only thing I would change is taking Ryan Nassib instead of E J Manual. Nassib has a better head on his shoulders.

62. By MIKE on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Am I the only Jets fan who is scared stiff that Vlad Ducasse might be the starting RG next season?

My worst nightmare is Ducasse, Pace, Sanchez and Wilson are all starting next season.

63. By IRA on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Ok everybody I am burnt with all this draft talk and will go into the bunker to get ready for tomorrow night. Enjoy the draft and
    GO JETS!!!!!

64. By scjoe on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

64, how can you be so sure that that “lame fantasy writer” is not well schooled on the game OR the business side of pro football? Is it based solely on the fact that he has a completely different opinion then you do on the Revis trade? Because if it is not based solely on that one particular reason, I wonder what it is based on.

65. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 1 Day from Big Changes on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

For anybody who thinks that this rebuilding isn’t creating a lot of excitement among Jet fans, I see that the ESPN story on Idzik looking to trade down and not ruling out picking a QB has already gotten 2,000 posts. I don’t think I’ve seen a number that high more than once and that was maybe after the title games and, of course, the Tebow trade. Clearly the idea that the Jets are shaking things up in the interest of remaking the team is appealing to somebody. But I’ll grant you this, scjoe, it all adds up to nothing if we don’t draft well.

66. By Karan on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

I really like Mike Mayock’s Mock Draft just posted on NFL.com. He has the tackles going early which leaves room for the Jets to somehow end up with Dion Jordan at 9. I’m hoping for the best. Jarvis Jones has been linked to the Steelers a lot. We’ll all find out tomorrow what happens, best of luck to the Jets.

67. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,you hit it on the head, the few headliners here who have anointed Idzik the next Great Gatsby, just don’t get it, in Seattle I believe as you do GM and Pete had more to do with putting the team together then Idzik, I’m just hoping we didn’t replace one Cap guy for another.. after all Pete C did warn the whole football world about Sanchez, mainly us, saying he wasn’t ready for prime time. that one lands on Mike-T not Rex, Gotta love People who keep using the excuse Rex is Bad as a coach because he chose to try and instill confidence in his team and players by building them up, no matter how bad they were

68. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Cont. PLEASE!! NO USC QB , NO 5-8 receiver T-A don’t care how good he is , I much rather Patterson. I don’t like TE @ 9 or 13 I like Pass rusher or I wouldn’t object to O-Line Warmack OR Conner, Mingo, I don’t like him that early I’d Rather J-Jones I believe if CB he will emulate the prototypical Seattle Corners Big lean and mean. don’t know which corner fits the bill , hopefully we’ll find a sleeper in the second or third round, I haven’t heard anyone talk about a safety , even though I’m I pretty sure if we do we won’t take one until late

69. By 41 Year Fan, John on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Hate to be a downer but , realistically , Jets fans have nothing to look forward to . In my view this current regime is no better than the Kotite Jets . It will be an improvement if we can just snap the ball ….The future is bleak my freinds..We have no offensive line , no QB to speak of , No linebackers , no tight ends , 1 good receiver , and no running backs . Oh, and no Revis …

70. By 41 Year Fan, John on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

The 2 best players we had Keller and Revis are gone ? Braylon Edwards is the only real talent we have left …

71. By GaryC on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Looks like Eifert is going to be the guy if the jets take a Tight end,especially if they keep their two picks they have now,more talk about him then Ertz,that’s fine with me,a couple years ago I was talking about Kyle Rudolph,so the jets,maybe get their Notre Dame tight end a couple of years later.

72. By Tom Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

In the story “one final mock” This is what it says about the #9 pick “9. JETS — Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia Nothing changes, folks. Production, athleticism, great football instincts, and a high-character kid to boot. As much as any player in this draft, Jones has already done it — he makes plays. If one of the tackles slips, you could take him here and still get Jones at No. 13, which would be cause for celebration in Florham Park” This is what I am talking about TAKE THIS GUY!

73. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

WELL it’s here DRAFT DAY… 8pm tonight tells all. All of our wants, needs, predictions come down to this… “WILL WE DRAFT SMARTLY”, the predictions of all us fans comes to an end today. Tonight we will either be happy with the “PICKS” or once again be disappointed in the PICKS. RONBO, KAREN, SCJOE among other and I have made calls earlier on who we would like to see drafted at #9 and 13, we have disagreed, agreed and laughed together. “NOW IT IS UP TO IDZEK TO DRAFT SMARTLY”. Having all the draft picks in the world comes down to not how you draft to get players, but how you use the draft to get best players to fill the needs of the team. LETS GO JETS…

74. By RONBO on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

IRA, yeah Jones will likely be long gone, i was thinking mabey some teams will pass because of the medical & at that point we could afford to gamble.Jacksonville is the key to this draft.Write it down!Everyone has them takeing Fischer,Joekel or D.Jordan.What if they have seen enough of B.Gabbart & Take G.Smith?That could panick buffalo into takeing R.Nassib leaving us the option of takeing T.Austin or tradeing him to one of the many teams that want him badly? I know some here dont like him,but do you really think everyone else is wrong?

75. By RONBO on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe,MJV & 64, I know you guys are against takeing the “smurf” T.Austin so I’m gonna tell you three(and any others here who agree)YOU ARE WRONG!If you think this guy is just a slot reciever you need to go watch some video! This kid played with a great slot reciever(Stedman Bailey)who will also have a brillian pro career(think Hines Ward)Guys,he returns kicks,catches out of the backfield,runs the ball,turns short passes into long passes,catches the deep passes too!This is the type of guy other teams hate playing against!He is a defenses wors nightmare.Just pray Miami doesnt take him!

76. By kw65fan on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

NO MINGO…NO QB in first round at all. Jones is the pick at 9. Showed tremendous production last 2 years in the tough SEC despite his so called back condition. Yes one of the 2 top tight ends especially Eifert. then go for OG, safety or corner or both please. Mind is open on Izzy…yes just a cap guy and contract negotiator for Hawks last few years. Whether or not if he picked up on anything…well we shall see. whatever he has done we would have done with any other GM just to get us under the cap so his grade is just incomplete so far. Going to be along first round tonight…hopefully we will be the highlight !!!!

77. By Tom "Anybody but Mingo" Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Unless the Jets pick Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan at 9 & Ken Vaccaro or Jarvis Jones at 13. I want them to take Offensive players. We can take a Guard, TE, WR, QB OR RB. We need help in all of those spots. We had one of if the the worst offense in football last year. I would not be mad if they used all 8 picks on the offensive side of the ball!

78. By Tom "Anybody but Mingo" Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

At this point honestly I dont care who the Jets take JUST DONT TAKE MINGO!

79. By Tom "Anybody but Mingo" Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

How about this for a Jet mock draft. 9 Tavon Austin WR, 13 Guard Chance Warmack, 2nd round Ertz TE Stanford, 3rd round Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas ( I am putting Wilson there because despite what everyone is saying about this years QB crop I think Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennonn & EJ Manuel will all be gone by the 3rd round) 4th round Marcus Lattimore RB. By the 4th round we will have a QB, RB, TE, WR & a Guard. OFFENSE, OFFENSE & MORE OFFENSE!

80. By Tom "Anybody but Mingo" Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Or we can solidify the D by the 13th pick by taking OLB Jarvis Jones at 9 & Ken Vaccaro at 13. Then the next 7 picks I would take players on the offensive side of the ball all best player avaliable but all on offense. We really only need a OLB & a Saftey. Pretty much all of our other needs are on O!

81. By Tom "Anybody but Mingo" Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

The Jets need offensive play makers after Holmes went down our biggest weapon was Kerley. Dont get me wrong I like him but we need alot more than that. How about at 9 Tavon Austin WR & TE Eifert ND at 13. Get weapons / firepower to score more points & so our D is not on the field all day like last year!

82. By GaryC on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

I find it laughable that some media people are still after Nolan Nawrocki because he is making blasphemous comments about Geno Smith’s football abilities,I have purchased this football preview for years,every player has strengths and weaknesses in the magazine,he has a book to put out,It costs close to 30.00 dollars,he has to make it interesting,if you read it he repeats a lot of the same stuff when it comes to his critiques,these johnny come lately’s to the draft need to get real,sorry,even Marino and Montana got critiqued,sorry Geno,put on your big boy pants.

83. By Tom "Anybody but Mingo" Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Speaking on the latest draft buzz, NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah notes the Jets love WVU WR Tavon Austin.
    The Jets have two picks in the top 13 to target Austin, which is likely the range the dynamic slot receiver is selected. The human joystick would be a great addition to any offense, and the Jets are no exception. We just hope he would be used correctly.

84. By Tom "Anybody but Mingo" Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Jarvis Jones the best player on Georigia the 2nd best team in the SEC the best conference in college football. He has already played 3-4 OLB. 28 sacks in the last 2 years & 7 forced fumbles last year alone. This is the pick at 13!

85. By Tom "Anybody but Mingo" Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Tavon Austin 1,300 yards catching & 650 yards rushing last year. Tavon is like or Percy Harvin type player with his versatility or dare I say a Wes Welker type player. He has blinding speed he tied Chris Johnson RB (Titians) for the fastest 40 time ever at the combine. This guy is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Also on a side note there are wispers that Holmes may not be ready for the start of the season & that with his cap number that he will not be back in 2014. Lets say Holmes is not ready I do not want to go into next year with Kerley & Hill as our only WR’S. While Kerley did well last year Hill stil has to prove he can stay healthy & that he can catch!

86. By Karan on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Hear the Jets are very high on getting Tavon Austin and the receiver himself has said the team has a “plan for him”. I have nothing against Austin, he is a great talent but I hope the Jets don’t draft him simply because they have more important needs in a guy like Chance Warmack or an OLB. There are certainly tons of needs on this team but we currently have a solid slot receiver in Kerley. He may not be as good as Austin, but he’s been great for us. Re-sign Braylon, Holmes should get back into it, Kerley is great in the slot for us and have Hill develop. We’re set at receiver if the Jets allow this to happen. But like I’ve said before, the top two priorities are G and OLB. Right after that, it is a TE and S/CB. Thanks a lot Tannenbaum……

87. By Karan on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

………for putting the Jets in this situation.

88. By Karan on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Honestly, if the starting five O-Linemen next season are Ferguson, Warmack, Mangold, Colon and Austin, that is really NOT bad at all. People don’t give Colon too much credit, its unfortunate the guy is injury prone, he is a risky sign, but when healthy, the guy is a solid player. Add some nice depth and we would be set at the O-Line my friends…… if this were to happen.

89. By Karan on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Think the Jets can find a trade partner for Tim Tebow today?? I hope so even though I seriously doubt it. Its getting really annoying now, just please release the guy. I respect him but the Jets don’t need a distraction anymore.

90. By scjoe on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Kleckofan, I do believe you nailed it! Your analogy of what Idzik “may” bring to the table based on what he witnessed and what has transpired in Seattle by Schneider and Carroll is dead on accurate. But my position on my latest series of mini debates with GaryC and 64 is “hey guys, lets take a wait and see approach” maybe he will be walking on water after his “initial” NFL draft. Maybe he wont. Lets just watch now and talk later. To me, that is not only the best way to go, under the circumstances it is the ONLY way to go. We just don’t know YET!

91. By scjoe on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

MJV, as I stated to 64 above, as a NYJ fan I certainly hope that Idzik is everything he is building him up to be. It seems as 64 has set the bar lower then ever. Just because you don’t resign a couple of your own over the hill players who’s contracts have expired for the most part does not translate to being an outstanding GM. And as I stated to my post to kleckofan above, lets just give it more time before we crown the man. That is not a derogatory statement re Idzik, it is the reality of the situation that I just can’t see anyone debating.

92. By Frank Verde on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Here is to hoping Idzik isn’t the stick in the mud some fans are wishing he’ll be. We‘ve just lost our best player. None of these college players comes with a guarantee, so let’s take a couple of homerun swings. A smart guy with confidence such as a Nick Mangold is a good bet. I’m still willing to see what we’ve got in Couples and Hill. You don’t win big by playing it safe on every bet. Best of Luck to Idzik & Company! Go Jets!

93. By scjoe on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, you tell me Idzik had more input into the Seattle drafts then I think. Fine. Show me the proof, because I don’t believe he gave anything close to the input Schneider and Carroll did. He was their cap guru, as kleckofan suggested, he may have learned a lot from Carroll and Schneider while in Seattle, and as NYJ fans lets hope so, but lets hold off before we anoint him the next Bobby Beatherd.

94. By scjoe on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, just loved your analogy of the draft being the ice cream cone as opposed to free agency being the sprinklers, just one minor problem, where is the ice cream? I will tell you the answer with MY analogy of the situation because it looks as though someone has misinformed you. You are actually half right though, the draft is the ice cream cone, but free agency is the “ice cream” not the sprinklers, you can’t have an ice cream cone with out both the ice cream cone AND the ice cream. Problem solved!

95. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom 1 Day from Big Changes on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, the ice cream cone/sprinkles analogy is awesome, if that doesn’t put an end to scjoe’s weird campaign against the primary importance of the draft, which he’s trying to take back bit by bit in a way that rivals Hilary on Benghazi, I don’t know what will. scjoe, nothing that Martin guy said made a bit of sense and at the end he admitted he also roots for the Giants, so that takes care of him. But read Cimini’s piece today about how matching TB’s deal on Revis would’ve slaughtered the cap and Martin looks even stupider. MJV, Idzik played and coached football, some shot of Mr T doing that, and Rex raved about players, mostly weak ones, at the expense of evaluating them, which is one reason Idzik scores big pts for getting rid of them.

96. By scjoe on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Well people, today is the day! We all have our opinions our suggestions and our ideas on where to go in the first few rounds. Personally I believe the needs are so many that it is almost impossible to miss in the first round, but I will say this, “if” it is a TE taken at #9, with all those other critical needs, the crowd at RCMH will not take it sitting down. My final prediction, if they stay pat at 9 & 13, Mingo at 9, and either Warmack or Cooper at 13. Would much rather see them trade down with at least one of those picks, but the above scenario will work just fine.

97. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom at the Dawn of the New Rising Sun on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Okay, GaryC, nice to see you underscore your main guys and add a few more. And I don’t see much thinking behind the Jets taking a “project” like Mingo. Who in their right mind could possibly believe the Jets have time for a “project” at any pick, much less at a high one? And what good does a “project” do Rex, who’s got a real shot of being out the door by Thanksgiving? More sloppy thinking on the part of sportswriters who can’t be bothered to actually keep up on what direction teams are going in. Plus Idzik’s open talk of trading down is the talk of someone who’s not looking to make any splashy mistakes. Splashy mistakes are the province of Mr T, who’s gone, and Rex, who’s soon to be gone. As Jimi said, “STRAIGHT AHEAD!”

98. By kw65fan on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Amen…Spicer…Amen…NO MINGO just a mirrored Gholston…muscular…athletic…quick on his feet…”light weighted” not good against big tackles. Not much production in college. Jones is the man….total animal…always persuing…got his nickname already (especially with his hair)..PREDATOR….

99. By since shea on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Doesn’t anybody here like Lacey as the feature back to run behind Fluker the beast RT? Yes a pass rusher in Jones and a TE, S or CB and G as well. Like Mike said, its a nightmare if Ducasse, Pace, Wilson and Sanchez all start. Assuming MS is our starting QB for this year, our only shot at being somewhat competitive is for us to have some kind of running game and pass protection like the first two years. Thats when MS was known as “Sanchize”?? Quick throws and a true RB?

100. By Howie D on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE: Thanks for your comment about my post.

101. By GaryC on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,hope your new alias comes to fruition,but a few other names can also be drawn.

102. By GaryC on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe,is free agency the “ice cream” as you say or the ‘I SCREAM’as in bringing in guys who are paid more then what there worth.

103. By Tom "Anybody but Mingo" Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora suggests Utah DL Star Lotulelei as a possible target for the Jets.
    La Canfora says Star hasn’t been linked to the Jets, “but they spent lot of time” on him. “With two 2 high picks he’s in play there.” A front of Mo Wilkerson, Quinton Coples, and Star would be unfair. Lotulelei could like up as a nose tackle, but he has more versatility than given credit for.

104. By Tom "Anybody but Mingo" Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

ESPN New York’s Rich Cimini reports the Jets “love” West Virginia WR Tavon Austin.
    Cimini adds the team isn’t as high on LSU OLB Barkevious Mingo as some think, and the Jets may be targeting an interior defensive lineman with one of their two first-round picks. Austin at No. 9 seems to be the highest he would go — unless someone traded into the Bills’ No. 8 spot, of course. If Gang Green is eyeing an interior defensive lineman, Star Lotulelei may be an option

105. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom at the Dawn of the New Rising Sun on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, your all-O draft and no Mingo is music to my ears. scjoe, let’s wait and see sounds good to me, especially since we only have a few more hours to wait. Ronbo, I’m afraid of picking anybody that small that high but if you say Austin’s the man, I’ll keep an open mind. Of course, the last time I kept an open mind about a high pick I didn’t believe in we got Sanchez…

106. By scjoe on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

64, don’t know whether this post will be updated before the start of the draft, or if you will get a chance to view it before then, but anyway, here is a thought.. If the Jets stand pat at 9 and 13 and “if” they select 2 offensive players i.e. OG and TE, that would go a long way toward me believing your theory about the future of Rex Ryan as the NYJ HC beyond 2013. Now, if one of those selections happens to be on the defensive side of the ball, particularly a guy like Mingo as a 3- 4 OLB, it may be time to rethink that theory. Agree?

107. By GaryC on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

scjoe,another thing you overlook about Idzik,I believe this guy does get a little more respect around the league then Tanny did,you might think it doesn’t matter,but it helps when you are looking to make deals and trying to get players on this team.

108. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

This is it in 1 night Idzik can become the toast of the town but in one night a nation of fans can grow to hate him. This is it for you Idzik TIME TO EARN YOUR MONEY!

109. By scjoe on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

64, please, and I mean PLEASE, tell me how I tried to “take back bit by bit” my views on the importance of the draft AND free agency? I guess you don’t know me as well as I though you knew me. When I debate, and when I have a strong feeling that I am right (like I do with our debate) I-Take-Nothing-Back!

110. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom at the Dawn of the New Rising Sun on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

I’m open to Lacey, since shea, but I’m also counting the hours until we pick a QB in Round 3 and the Sanchez era unofficially comes to an end…the official end coming when we trade him to SEA for a #6 pick…

111. By scjoe on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Ron, re: T Austin, and I have said this before. So it is not just off the top of my head, Austin was a very productive college player, he “may” even be as productive at the pro level, who knows? BUT, given the deficiencies all around this Jets roster, IMO, there are an abundance of choices that would better serve the overall needs of this team. That said, “if” Austin is the choice at 13, or below with a trade down, I wouldn’t go off the edge, I would only hope that he can duplicate the success he had in college with the NYJ That is my stance on T Austin.

112. By SQUIRREL on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

my problem with getting a wide receiver is we do not have a competent QB to throw to him. this young kid will go out there get frustrated and possible hurt. his development will be stunted. we need to go foundation here. offensive line, olb, maybe TE. look for the skill players later on. I could be wrong but that’s just my thoughts

113. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom at the Dawn of the New Rising Sun on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, tTaking Mingo would be a typical dumb Rex move, getting jazzed about a “project” just because he’s a D guy with one or two strengths. Rex isn’t capable of evaluating a player on more than one or two levels, he gets excited about a single block or makes jokes about a guy throwing up and then he’s done. So yeah, if we take Mingo it might show Rex still has pull in the FO. On the other hand, we have needs everywhere but K and P, so we could pick a guy at any position and it wouldn’t be a bad move. As for your Hilary act, you started off outraged at the loss of legends like Keller and DeVito and now you’re just saying that FA’s can be useful on top of good drafting. Nobody would disagree with that. I think Idzik may surprise us all today

114. By RONBO on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

S.C.JOE,& 64 Fair enough, all I suggest is we give Austin a chance if we do draft him No wrist slitting! Spicer, welcome aboard the good ship Austin.
    TO ALL; I posted on the Calvin Pace header a list of wide recievers,slot recievers and T.E’s who might be of interest at some point of the draft.
    GO JETS!
    p.s. please dont screw this up by takeing any science projects!
    SAY NO TO MINGO! NO ZIGGY! NO JAIL BIRDS!

115. By RONBO on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, Star L. is a terrific player but I believe he is very simular to Mo Wilk in terms of his build and skill set.(which is not a bad thing!) I disagree with the experts who say he could play N.T. At 315 he is awfully light at that spot.Now on 3rd down as a pass-rusher mabey o.k, but we need full time starters. Star would be a luxury for us kind of like kiki Mingo.Not a fulltime player? I say no, because we have more pressing needs at G,OLB,S,Q.B, or a plymaker on O like our guy Tavon Austin or Tyler Eifert. Dude, check out the W.R T.E stuff on Calvin Pace header

116. By scjoe on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, here is what I SCREAM…I am all for free agency, you know, just like the 32 GMs who are associated with the NFL are, what I am not in favor of is bringing in those high priced, over the hill guys who you referred to who are being paid more then they are worth. Isn’t that pretty much the same thing you SCREAM (;-) If it is, then what are we discussing? If it isn’t, then please elaborate.

117. By scjoe on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

64, once again you must have me confused with someone else. I was never a fan of Dustin Keller, so I hardly believe you can point to a time that I was “outraged” by losing him, what I did say, and what I will stand by is “if” Keller was resigned he would immediately rise to #1 on this sorry list of TEs currently on the NYJ roster. Give me a decent sized TE in the mid rounds of this draft who can block AND catch the ball and I will completely forget the name Dustin Keller. Devito? He was a serviceable D lineman, as of this writing he has not been replaced, but to use the term “outraged” for losing him? I think not.

118. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

It is now 6.15 pm Eastern Time. In 1 hour and 45 minutes the draft starts. My recliner is ready for me along with my score sheet, pepperoni, provolone cheese and Ritz crackers, and let us not forger a six pack of Coors. All of our choices, speculations and who should we take is now coming to an end. To all my friends on here and to all JET FANS. May the front office Draft Smartly and fill the positions we need which I feel is the offensive line. YES, I agree we now need a cornerback and pass rusher. As of now it is in IDZIK’S hands as well as the front office. For the sake of all Jet Fans. Please DRAFT SMARTLY… LETS GO JETS….

119. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I feel for you Bro, all that mock draft work and this is what the great Idizk gives us, Tom64, Kleckofan, I know some way some how in your worlds will find some way of believing this is best way to build an elite team..instead of the embarrassment you should be feeling tonight.Not only weren’t either of you right with all your theory’s, either of you were on the same planet, Mr Build for the future,CB D- Millner @9 DE Richardson @13 , Many unhappy Jets Fans tonight Hate to say I was right about EJ Manuel the 1st QB off the board over the 4 other top QB’s, problem is he went to Bills Not Jets. Groundhogs day all over again Fans.. any one who believes Millner and Richardson are worth @9 @ 13 need therapy,

120. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

64 Frank, you said we needed a CB and a pass rusher and that’s just what we got — oh, sorry, we have a number of folks on this site who think you can’t rush the passer from the DL even though that’s what the Giants have been doing for yrs and have won 2 SBs that way. I guess they think it was smarter to take Wilson than Pierre-Paul, and who can argue with THAT? MJV, I’ve got more to say to you on the story ahead of this but the main thing I’ll say here is that you’re sure not as up on college football as you should be. Me and Arte checked out Milliner and Richardson thoroughly today and you’re way wrong about them not deserving high picks. But you love Rex but hate the guys he wants in the draft so I’ll admit your brilliance escapes me…

121. By JetBlu on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Rams beat Jets to Austin. I like Milliner. Great instincts and doesn’t turn his back on the ball like K Wlson always does. I thought they should have taken Eifert with #13. Now we need to get value out of the rest of this draft as there is still plenty of offensive talent out there. Still need to keep in ind that next year will be the crucial year, afetr we get rid of Rex and MS. Let the rebuliding begin!

122. By GaryC on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

mikejetvet,look at the rankings of these players,Milliner was projected top five,Richardson in many mocks picked right where the jets drafted him,no reaches with these guys,would you have gone after overblown Geno Smith,or a real project in Corradelle Patterson.

123. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Jets selected Missouri DT Sheldon Richardson with the No. 13 overall pick.Richardson has upside, but the pick is a head-scratcher. In dire need of offensive weapons and an edge rusher, the Jets go for a three-technique tackle. Richardson (6-foot-2 1/2, 294) is an explosive up-field rusher with tremendous suddenness off the ball. Perhaps the most athletic interior defensive lineman in the draft. It’s just an odd fit on paper for the Jets?

124. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Mike Jet Fan, I am with you 100%. Once again the front office has drafted foolishly and wasted 2 first round draft picks. Why I feel this way is simple. CB D- Millner @9 , he had five operations and is a health risk even more so then Jarvis Jones he is now going to be facing NFL PRO’S who hit harder are meaner then what he faced in college he was also chosen over Chance Warmack – OG from Alabama a pick that would have helped the offense. .DE Richardson @13 was chosen over Jarvis Jones, Tyler Elfert, ERTZ, Kenny Vaccure and Kyle Long. Unbelievable sure we needed a corner but I would have preferred seeing Desmond Trufant. IDZIK, I see you are going in the direction of TAN. Very Diappointed…. .

125. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Tom 64, So much for that Rex Ryan has no say anymore. You can 100% throw that out the window! While Rex did not want them to trade Revis. The owner made them trade Revis because he did nto want to pay him. You can bet your bottom dollar that Rex had a major MAJOR say in both of these picks!

126. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

I want to start by saying that I am not saying that Richardson is a bad player. But to me the pick makes no sense. Where are we playing this guy? Unless we go to a 4-3 full time I do not understand the pick. We have Coples at 285, Richardson at 294 & Wilkerson at 305. Who is the nose tackle? Or if none of them are we just spent a first round pick on a backup?

127. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

With the Millener pick again I am not saying the guy is a bad player but I do not understand the pick. You have Cromartie on 1 side a guy in his prime coming off of a career year. On the other side we had Kyle Wilson a 1st round pick from 3 years ago did we give up on Kyle Wilson already? Or is Klye Wilson or Dee Milliner nickle corners. So is I am understanding this 1 of these 1st round picks is a back up?

128. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

At 9 & 13 we needed a Guard, TE, WR, RB, QB, OLB, Saftey
    & maybe even a NT. But we take a corner & a 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE in Richardson. Let me ask you guys this if we took Warmack at 9 it would have filled our Guard need & nobody would have said that we reached for him? If we took Jarvis Jones at 9 we would have filled our OLB need & nobdosy would have said we reached for him? If we took Geno Smith at 9 it would have filled our QB need & nobody would have said that we reached for him? & If would would have took Star Louteie at 9 to play NT again nobody would have said that we reached for him?

129. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

At 13 if we took Geno Smith QB, Star Loutelie NT, Jarvis Jones OLB all would have filled needs & nobody would have said that we reached for the guy. Also by the time we got to 13 we could have taken Ken Vaccaro Saftey & Tyler Eifert TE all of the guys above would have filled needs & would not have been reaches at that point.

130. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

So far I would say free agency was not a success, we did not get enough in return in the Revis trade & the 1st round last night did not go to well. Can we please hold off on the Idzik walks on water nonsense for a while & wait a year or 2 before we put this guy in the hall of fame cause as of now I am not impressed. If anything I thought if we hit on those 2 picks last night we would compete next year but based on the picks we took 2 backups so now I think we are going to be worse than I thought we were going to be prior to the first round!

131. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

I want to mention this cause I do not want to be the guy on the site that is always negative. I went to the Jets draft party at the stadium last night & it was a really good time I would suggest to anyone that is a season ticket holder to go. It is free for season ticket holders. You get to watch the draft, go on the field, tour the locker room, they give you a free Jet t shirt, Woody was there taking pictures & talking to the fans. Also Wilkerson, Coples, Kenrick Ellis, Stephen Hill & Kyle Wilson were all there taking pictues with fans & signing aoutographs for free. I will 100% go back next year!

132. By RONBO on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

MJV, Thanks bro, while I admit I felt like somebody kicked me in the groin with the pick at 13, I purposely avoided my computer and the urge to throw it out the window.Thank god for tequela! As Clark Griswald said in Christmas Vacation when he looked up and say his dirtbag brother in law (brilliantly played by Randy Quade) When Eddie ask Clark are you surprised Clark? and Clark responds;
    Eddie, I couldnt be more surprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet!
    My biggest problem with this pick is WHY? This guy is basically a lurury pick as we already have two D.E’s in Wilkerson & Coples? At 280 I dont see this guy as a N.T?

133. By russ on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

How did we improve?…Is Richardson better than DeVito? is Milliner better than Revis? How did we upgrad our team with one pick? Will the salary and bonus to Milliner be equal toRevis? Is our Offense improved over last year? Geno Smith sulking is that the Tom Brady of the NYJ? Just asking….

134. By RONBO on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

TOm sect.124,SPICER & JET FAN FRANK, to say the pick at 13 was a real headscratcher is a major understatement! Personally I dont get it? I dont know about you guys but I would love to find out what trade scenarios the Jets were involved in last night? Too bad the Rams beat us to T.Austin. I told everyone who would listen to me how valued he was and apparently Idzik’s inexperience running a draft allowed the Rams to move up past us to grab him. I would have approached the Rams to get the picks the Bills got rather than lose him anyway like they did and not get the extra pick Buffalo got.There are still plenty of S’s and T.E’s and even a couple of OLB’s than can rush the passer so lets hope we do better tonight.

135. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, you need to scratch your head a little longer until you figure out that it takes more than one promising DL guy (Wilkerson) and one jury-is-out DL guy (Coples) to build a team that can win multiple SBs. Tom 124, see my post to MJV on the story ahead of this one about how Idzik’s agenda and Rex’s desires don’t necessarily have to be in conflict. Anyone who’s dealt with big business dynamics knows all about the strange bedfellows effects in which two or more people seem to be cooperating but are in fact pursuing their own agendas just as seriously. Unfortunately, we have a number of fans on this site who live in the children’s world in which there are no complexities, no subtleties, no hidden agendas, and of course no patience.

136. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Believe me I was disappointed last night. How could they pass up players like Chance Warmack, D.J. Fluker,D.J. Hayden, or Jarvis Jones. I do not understand this draft. Something tell me RR has more to say then we all thought. I hate to see what tonight is going to bring. I almost choked on a piece of pepperoni. Well they sorta rebuilt the defense and we do need an OLB. However, it is time to grab sone offensive players tfor protection fo a QB and blocking for a RB. I have a feeling in round 2 it is going to be RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama….Very disappointed…

137. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Why would you want Fluker, who’s mostly a run-blocker from what I read and hear from disappointed Charger fans, over somebody we can get today or tomorrow, 64 Frank? Why do you want Jones and his spinal stenosis, which unlike Milliner’s injuries is systemic and degenerative rather than routine? And by the way, why do you want an RB so bad when we have a few, might get Ivory, are going to a WCO, and the whole league is making a gigantic statement that “ground and pound” thinking is dead as a doornail? I don’t really see what you’re so disappointed about, especially when we have 6 picks left. If you think of this as 2 drafts-to-compete instead of win-now, everything will make a lot more sense to you.

138. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

GENO SMITH – QB, 2nd round pickby the JETS, the circus continues now we have David Garrard, Greg Mcelroy, Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow all QB’s on the same team. WOW…

139. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 26, 2013 | Reply

Why do you call the most serious QB competition since Namath/Huarte/Taliaferro a mere “circus,” 64 Frank? Was it a “circus” when Harbaugh decided halfway thru the season to go with Kaepernick instead of Smith? A “circus” when SEA traded for Flynn but had the guts to start Wilson? It sounds like you’ve succumbed to the illness, usually contracted from hysterical New York sportswriters, of describing ANYTHING the Jets do in the most disastrous terms possible. What’s so circus-like about cutting Tebow and Simms, letting Geno, Garrard, Sanchez, and McElroy fight it out for 3 spots, and then releasing either MS or Mc? Or is it more fun to just complain about the Jets than actually think of ways they might get better and then support those moves?

140. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

64 TOM, I will explain why I call the QB situation a circus, but before I do let me say this GENO SMITH will more then likely be the starter. The JETS have Tim Tebow. Mark Sanchez, David Garrard, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms and now Geno Smith. This has created kaos in the QB ranks probably fear and anger also in the QB ranks. Sport writers are already saying what a circus… By the regular season the question is other then Geno Smith who will be left as for? TT we are lucky if we can get a 7th round 2014 pick for him, as for McElroy, Simms and Jarrard what do you do with them can they be traded for some draft picks in 2014? As for MS how do you think he feels right now, he was working his butt off to win the starting role which he

141. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

might have gotten and now they bring Geno Smith in. He is in the same situation they put him in when TT arrived in 2012. As for the JET receivers they are more then likely happy toi have Geno Smith. 2 Defensive players were drafted now we need a in the 1st round, in the 2nd round Geno, and in the 3rd round Brian Winters OG, we need a TE, OT and a RB desperately to protect the QB. Hop[e that answers your question….

142. By Mike69 on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know why the JETS are not blessed by better management. For example, looking at the JETS needs, and their picks, I volunteer this scerario:
    #9 – Chance Warmack
    There is no way that both MIlliner and Hayden would have bene picked in the next 3. So, at #13 the JETS still would have wound up with one of the top 2 CB’s.
    Geno Smith would still have been available on the second round. Then the JETS could have selected one of several massive, 330 lbs. and up, reasonably athletic true Nose Tackles available in the 3rd round. That scenario would have covered several JETS needs while preserving quality and value. IF Warmack was not one of their top 5 on the JETS board, then Idzik does not deserve his title.

143. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Change on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Hey 64 Frank, this is about a day after you wrote your post about the circus because I can’t usually spend much time on anything but the top story. But just to respond, Idzik already addressed this today when he said we won’t be keeping 6 QBs. MM said he can work the system with 3 and I predict the 3 will be Geno, Garrard, and McElroy. What is Garrard? He’s the vet backup who’s happy to have a job, like Brunell. McElroy’s the guy who’ll have to fight to get a chance, here and everywhere else. Tebow and Simms merit little mention. As for “Mark” working in the off-seasion, that’s what you’re supposed to do. If you think he feels bad, imagine how Smith felt getting replace in MID-season by Kaepernick!

144. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Change on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Mike69, what Woody said — “We have to get faster and younger” — may have something to do with why it was Richardson and not any more 330-pound guys. Enough fat run-stuffers like DeVito and Pouha who couldn’t get into the backfield with a limo drive and enough overrated, overpaid, and overweight has-beens like Jenkins who could break an uncle stepping off a curb like Carl McAdams. Richardson is the opposite of all that.

145. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

64 TOM iI made a comment under this post ?Draft Ahead So Is Jets Talk Live Draft Show” that I hope you read. I have not yet read IDZEKS post addressing yhe QB situation today, If what you say is accurate (which I am sure it is) saying we won’t be keeping 6 QBs. MM said he can work the system with 3 and I predict the 3 will be Geno, Garrard, and McElroy. Then I hope your prediction is also accurate. Thanks for the info on this matter But I am going to copy it and post it here….

146. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE, RONBO 64 TOM. Last night I staryed up most of the night and I stated in a previous post I was disappointed, but now I am reversing that disappointed decision. 1st pick was Dee Milner if he stays healthy this kid will be an asset to the jets. I read his stats , which I feel all should read this kids stats, he is good very good. #2 Sheldon Richardson – DE this kid is one heck of a pass rusher and knows how to tackle, fantastic stats. 3rd pick, Geno Smith – QB great stats but has a lot to learn starting right now but very well could be the QB of the future. 4th pick, Brian Winters – OG I am impressed with this kid, knows how to block and open holes for a RB, excellent rating and stats. 5th pick Aboushi – OG, quick on his feet

147. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

(CONT) great blocking skills and can also open holes for a RB, very impressive stats on this kid. 6th pick, William Campbell DL now an OL very balanced player can go either way quick on his feet, knows how to block, tackle and his stats are fantastic whether he played defense or offense. 7th pick Tommy Bohanan – FB you have to read this kids stats, he can be used as a TE has great hands, can block, etc… This kid could become a favorite of the Jet Fans. As for trading our 4th round pick to obtain CHRIS IVORY – RB, no question in my mind about this kid’s ability to run inside or outside , catch, break tackles and his speed… We all are so good to judge, but reading these kids stats and watching these kids on film. “GREAT JOB IDZEK”.

148. By Mike69 on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Hey Tom 64, I get it. But, the JETS biggest problem on the defense the last 2 years has not been defending the pass. It has been defending the run. Unless Rex is changing to a 4-3 defense, he needed a run stuffer in the middle who would occupy 2 blockers. He already has several package linemen he can plug in for the pass. He doesn’t have anyone for the run. There were no all around great NT’s in the draft. Warmack was a dominant guard. That’s why I would’ve picked Warmack with #9, and then picked a cornerback #13 , or Richardson if he were still avaialble. Warmack is an every down lineman, whereas Richardson will not be. The JETS are not getting the most bang for the buck.

149. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Change on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, I read all that stuff, 64 Frank, so I saw you were coming around on the draft. In fact, I just pointed that out to scjoe on the story ahead of this one. I also painted a scenario for scjoe about why you don’t want Sanchez on the team in November, which is why I agree with you that it’s gonna be Geno, Garrard, and McElroy.

150. By RONBO on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

MIKE69, two excellent on point posts in a row! Where cthe heck have you been?Unfortunately, Tom64 is so obsessed with our new fearless leader has left himself oblivious to the fact that this draft accomplished a fraction of what it could have.When you consider both the Rams & Vikes who also had multiple picks in the first round(but much later) did a much better job andgot a lot more bang for their buck then we did.St.Louis got 3 startes in the first Rd and it would not surprise me if they end up with a total of 7 startes over all.The vikeings also cleaned our clock as well with at least 6 likely starters.When you consider the fact that nearly every expert openly states the N.Y.Jets have the absoloute worst roster in the league,how do you-

151. By RONBO on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

cont.- justify the fact we will likely wind up with 1 certian starter in Milliner,two possible starters in Winters & Gino and one rotational player in Richardson. The trade for Ivory while it looks good on paper, the guy is always hurt and why pay a guy 6 million when you could have drafted a R.B and only had to pay him $450,000? Did you see some of the R.B’s that went in the 4th rd like M.lattimore and Franklin from UCLA? JETFAN FRANK, after reading this are you sure you like this draft. I could care less what a bunch of meaningless stats say, this draft deserves nothing more than a C grade as it did little to address glareing holes all over the roster especially at the S, T.E & OLB posisitions!

152. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Mike 69, I think it’s splitting hairs to talk too much about which we’ve been worse at, stopping the run or the pass. And I say that because, for instance, even in yrs when we were statistically rated very highly on D under Rex, we were terrible on 3rd and long, suffered huge holes in the middle of the field, and — most of all — lost big games to good teams. Sort of like the yr SD was ranked 1st in both run and pass D statistically but still gave up a lot of pts and went nowhere. As for not picking OL guys higher, I think Milliner, Richardson, and then Geno were obviously high on their board and irresistible when they came up. It’s not like we traded up to get them and it’s not like we have no picks next yr, as we so often did under Mr T.

153. By Mike69 on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Hi Tom64! I don’t want to sound like I thought it was a bad draft. it wasn’t. But it could have been a GREAT draft. It’s that difference that determines whether a team can rebuild in 1 or two yrs, or 5 yrs. The last 3 drafts under Tannenbaum were F’s. That why we are in the position we’re in. And it didn’t help that we lost our free agents who were good and signed free agents that were bad. But, just one thing..who would you rather have, a Kris Jenkins (healthy) or a Sheldon Richardson? Games are won in the trenches. If you can not dominate the line on defense, you won’t be a good team. And if you can’t dominate the line on offense, you won’t win either. It’s simple. Warmack would have been an every down dominator. Cont’d…

154. By Mike69 on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

….Con’t

Kennedy is a very nice sub-package lineman. At 295 lbs, he will never be a dominator, Unless he can magically disappear and reappear in the opponent’s backfield when the ball is snapped on every running play, he will be going up against linemen that outweigh him by 25 lbs on average, and therefore he will be substituted for on the 3-4 during running situations. Finally, I wil make a prediction,…this will all come down to Geno Smith. In 2-3 years no one will remember Warmack, Richardson or anyone else. If Geno flops, Idzik will be just another goat heading to the unemployment line. If Geno turns out to be better than Sanchez, idzik will look like a genius.

155. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, you’re dreaming if you think they picked Geno to NOT start. How good he’ll be we don’t know yet but Sanchez was just about the worst starting QB in the NFL 2 yrs running, so we have nowhere to go but up. What you don’t seem to get about Goodson and Ivory is that (1) The Jets clearly didn’t like this yr’s draft class RBs, many of whom also had injury problems (2) Idzik’s not looking to address all of our many needs in one draft (3) UFA’s are like having 5 more rounds of the draft, as you can see from the quality of the guys we signed (4) There’s obviously a conscious effort to surround Geno with vets rather than rookies at O skill positions. I could go on and on but you keep saying some of the same weird stuff as last wk so I won’t.

156. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

RONBO, 64 TOM, SCJOE… What I have read in some of these posts and I quote; 2014 is the soonest we will have a winning team. I can not look at it that way. So many have disagreed with drafting MILNER, RICHARDSON, SMITH, WINTERS, ABOUSHI AND BOHANON and trading for IVORY. I say to all go and look at the films on these individuals then go look at their stats. These players are good. Bohanon truly impressed me at his versatility at FB, TE, and blocking. We have gained 3 offensive linemen, 2 defensive players and a QB. No starts walkins, Undrafted Players and Free Agents. SO far I give IDZIK an “A” for bringing Goodson and a couple of other players in. He is doing what he did in Seattle, building a winning team. I feel he is more then

157. By By Jet Fan Since 1964 Frank on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Continued) likely looking at some other players, probably an OLB and Tackle. I do not want to wait til next year, I want to start winning this year. I know this is my wish and dream, but wouldn’t it be great if it was the JETS vs GIANTS in the SB at MET-LIFE STADIUM. Talk about history being made. Reality, who knows, wishful thinking “YES”. We all have our opinions, but one thing we all in here have in common is..WE ALL WANT A SB. Give Smith protection and we could be winners this year, open holes for the RB’s and we could be winners. As for our defense they were #8 overall last year. Sure we lost REVIS, big deal, this kid MILNER just might do the job we all want him too as for Richardson he is great at stopping the run. Lets win.

158. By RONBO on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

JET FAN FRANK, Sorry bro but as much as it pains me to say this 2013 is already looking pretty bleak based on our current roster and the mediocre draft which will offer little impact this year.Dude, telling me to look at more video is like telling Halley Berrie to get more beautiful! I would be shocked to learn of anyone (other than a guy who actually gets paid to do it ) that looks at more video than I do. i am 100% familuar with all of these players and can assure you I know exactly what I’m talking about.It’s not that I dont like these guys, Richardson is a fine talent.I just thought there were better players(Warmack) to fill our needs.But I’m not here to bash players!

159. By RONBO on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

64, I know how intellegent you are and in that department I am smart enough to defer to your omnipotence! However, please dont make any more rediculous comparisons of undrafted free agents vs. Tavon Austin who was a top 10 pick inspite of the fact he needs to use a booster seat to ride in the front seat of a car. I know you had major reservations about drafting him but as this season plays out we will also be grateful he is not a Dolphin,Bill or Patriot!

160. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

64Frank, if Bohanon and Campbell even make this roster, I will say that this is the ONLY roster in the NFL they could have made. I would rather have seen the NYJ select the best available punter or place kicker in the 6th and 7th rounds then a FB, a position that is being phased out by more and more teams every year. A P or a PK has a better then 50% chance of making the team, lets see how the FB and the converted DT to G experiment works out. See, we cant make any determination on this draft class just yet. Some have it penciled in as the greatest draft ever by the NYJ, I say lets just wait and see.

161. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Ron, “what if” Austin was available at #9 or #13 and the NYJ selected him, tell me, in your own opinion, what do you think 64 would have said about the pick. I will give you 2 choices to choose from, 1- Wow, that was a great selection by Idzik, he just selected thee most productive player in the draft, OR… Wow, it looks like Idzik is following right in Tannenbaums foot steps of making a mockery out of the draft. That my friend, tells you all you need to know.

162. By RONBO on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

S.C.JOE, its amazing how someone who until very recently professed little knowledge of college football (perhaps outside of S.California) and who was not
    that knowledgeable about the players in this draft class has now become more of an expert than those who have been discussing this very topic for months here on Randy’s site? Oh well? You would think that as I was one of the few who spoke out as to how good Austin was that same newly crowned expert(yes you 64!) would have at least acknowledged that fact by now? Instead, you and I are now portrayed as the naysayers or bad guys simply because we refuse to nominate the new G.M. to Canton? Come on 64,your better than that!

163. By scjoe on May 2, 2013 | Reply

Ron, I like to call it “wishy washy”