• Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 12:15 PM - 12:45 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Jets Insider Eric Allen will report from Training Camp practice with guests Willie Colon and Rex Ryan
  • Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 1:15 PM - 1:45 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will adress the media following Training Camp practice
  • Sun., Aug. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Wed., Aug. 06, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Thu., Aug. 07, 2014 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Sun., Aug. 10, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 11, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 13, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., Aug. 16, 2014 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Draft Notes: Davis, Hill on the Silver Screen

Posted by Randy Lange on April 27, 2013 – 11:28 am

If you’re a filmmaker and a draftnik, or a draftnik and a pro football player, what better way to celebrate the draft than to make a film about it?

That’s what second-year Jets Demario Davis and Stephen Hill, the third- and second-round picks respectively in last year’s draft, are doing at this time.

Davis and Hill have been cast in the upcoming film “Draft Day,” which has been filming since Thursday at this year’s draft. The two Jets will play fictional potential first-round draft picks in the Green Room on draft day awaiting their selection, and both were reported to be filming their scenes at Radio City Music Hall this weekend.

If you think this is a dinky little college cinema-class production, think again. The film stars Kevin Costner, Denis Leary and Jennifer Garner and is directed by Ivan Reitman. The NFL has given its imprimatur to the production, meaning that while all the league people in the film are fictional, actual NFL team names and league/team marks will be used. No Miami Sharks here.

The film will also have roles for real live members of the NFL Network and ESPN crews covering the draft. And for a couple of young actors by the name of Davis and Hill.

Geno’s in the Building

Second-round pick Geno Smith checked out the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center once, during his predraft visit. Now he’s here today taking in things in a different light, as a new Jets employee. He’ll speak with reporters here this afternoon and that news conference will be streamed live on newyorkjets.com with an expected start time of 1 p.m. ET and then archived for viewing at your leisure.

We’ll hear more about Geno in the coming days, weeks and months, but for now here are some athletic family connections from his Wikipedia page:

Smith was born in Miami to Geno Smith Jr. and Tracey Sellers. His great-grandfather, Cyril Smith, was a bodybuilder and boxing referee from the Bahamas. His great-uncle, Danny Smith, was a record-breaking All-America hurdler at Florida State. And his cousin, Melvin Bratton, was a top RB at “the U” in the mid-Eighties who also played two seasons for the Broncos.

Dee and Sheldon Trending

Dee Milliner joins the Jets’ exclusive Alabama Alumni First-Round Club. Joe Namath, the top pick of the 1965 AFL Draft, began the club, and two other members, QB Richard Todd in 1976 and DE Marty Lyons in ’79, joined it before Milliner’s entry Thursday night.

Milliner was also the member of another fraternity at the top of Round 1. After the Jets took the corner at No. 9, the Titans went with G Chance Warmack at 10 and the Chargers reeled in T D.J. Fluker at 11. That’s three Alabama players in three picks, the first time that’s happened in Round 1 of an NFL draft since at least 1967, which as we all know by now was the first common draft between the AFL and NFL.

And Milliner and Richardson at No. 13 were part of another first-round trend. The Southeastern Conference had 12 players drafted Thursday night, the most of any conference in. Since 2000 the SEC has a solid lead on the conference field with 540 total draft picks. (Missouri joined the SEC last season.)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Randy Lange, Uncategorized | 153 Comments »

153 Responses to “Draft Notes: Davis, Hill on the Silver Screen”

1. By russ on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Replacing players younger but un proven will definately make this a long season..This is as of now a team with no identity and lokking to fill needs for the next five years…so my question is why cut Sanchez and allow a new quarterback to take a beating with this very weak Offense?

2. By steven on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

jesse williams from alabama would be a good next pick in the fifth round

3. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

russ, you can’t let great be the enemy of good. Whoever was the QB this yr woulda faced an imperfect roster. The real question is why waste another breath talking about Sanchez when everyone knows he has no future on the Jets, little future as a starter in the NFL, and maybe no NFL future at all? Funny, too, how the “win now, we’re not rebuilding, rebuidling is for losers” folks are very quiet since we picked Geno. I guess they don’t have to want to admit that Idzik can walk and chew gum at the same time, i.e. remake the roster over several drafts while still take a chance on a possible elite QB. Like I told you guys when Idzik was hired, there was no reason for a guy with his resume come here to do nothing. So he’s doing something.

4. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Why does everyone care about us having 6 QBS I sure dont. Put McElory on the practice squad CUT TEBOW & SIMMS NOW! Smith, Sanchez & Garrad battle it out for the starting spot. I dont want Smith to start this year let Sanchez or Garrad take the lumps. Hopefully Mark has a career year & we can trade him for a draft pick next year. Let Geno sit & learn you take the rest of this draft, next years free agency & next years draft to surround this kid with weapons on O & put him in the best situation to succeed. We are still a TE, WR & Saftey away. I would not play Geno until we are offically eliminated from the playoffs. Than I would put him in the final few games of 2013 so when 2014 starts he is ready to roll.

5. By richie on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

My condolences to Rex. The management has, in effect, given marching orders to Sanchez. Team morale is non-existant. Drafting Smith is a de facto admission that the team is in rebuilding mode. I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1965 and the only time I felt worse about the team was when Kotite was coach. It’s disappointing that coming off two conference games, the management has muffed the ball. Again. Instead of rebuilding starting with the defense, management is trying to improve the team through acquiring offensive players with few receivers to do the job. This failed three times before and it is unlikely to succeed this time. I’ll still root for the green and white, but it’ll still feel sad.

6. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Notice how many teams are setting up crowded QB competitions by adding draft picks — OAK, BUF, PHI — when they already have viable vets or even guys they’ve just traded for. Heck, even the Giants and Steelers, teams with two of the least questioned starting QBs in the game, just took Nassib and Jones! The QB game and position is changing and the daring move Harbaugh made in switching QBs mid-season may prove in coming yrs to be more common than suspected. A QB coach I know just told me he thinks it’s due to the read-option and other new schemes that mean it’s no longer just about finding a guy who can throw 60 yds and leaving it at that. In this light, the Geno pick makes more sense. Not that holding onto “Mark” woulda made ANY sense…

7. By scjoe on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I see no logical reason to release Sanchez at this point in time, they would not save a nickel on the cap, so let it play out during camp, injuries are a big part of this game and you just never know day to day. If it would have meant cap relief in any form it would have been a no brainer. The trade for Ivory is no more then OK. It does fill a need, but the price may have been a little to high, time will tell. From what I have heard, and the source is reliable (Pat Kirwin) there just are no more NFL ready safety’s left in this draft. Not good news for a team that probably needs 2.

8. By Frank on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

A few more tidbits on Smith. He is wildly inconsistant, he does not elevate the play of the team like an RG3 did, he performs poorly against superior competition and has a fumbling problem (30) as a starter. One guess guys who this sounds like?…..anyone?…..
    YES thats it Mark Sanchez!…. Insanity anyone? 6 Qb’s on the roster!!!!!
    Ladies and gentleman I present to you the new era of Jets football. its called….drum roll please……..”Sanchez 2″ staring Geno Smith!!!!!!!!
    Gotta love this team drafting and signing guys with significant medical deficiencies add Milliner and Ivory to that list. Good luck to making Ivory the number 1 back they guy can’t stay healthy in a part time role of course

9. By IRA on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Nice a Staten Island boy Oday Aboushi can’t go wrong. Nice pick with two more to go. I love what the Jets are doing and while everybody has their opinion I believe the Jets have become a better team these past 3 days than they were a week ago.
    Once again I am thrilled with Geno and believe he will be a very good QB for the Jets.
    GO JETS!!!!

10. By scjoe on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Aboushi was a decent pick, although he never played guard. But he is way to slow a foot to play T. So, a project at this point. I think Meeks (S) or Stills (4.37 WR) who were selected 2 and 3 picks later may have been better fits. It remains to be seen how many of the draft picks so far will contribute significantly in 2013. I say “so far” because it is a long shot that anyone in the 6th or 7th round will. Hopefully I am wrong.

11. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I feel sad too, Richie, that you didn’t notice our first 2 picks were 2 of the best D players on the board. As for the sadness you’ll feel until you understand that failed teams have to rebuild, I can’t help you there. scjoe, we drafted 2 S last yr to…what, cut them without ever playing them? Let ‘em fight it out for the other starting job if we don’t draft one. Frank, your post is beneath you. To compare a 3-yr starter with staggering stats like Geno to a propped-up fraud who barely started like Sanchez is absurd. Go find a college game in which “Mark” threw for 656 yds and 8 TDs. But your post gives me insight into why some Jet fans hate every college QB — because they all have to learn the pro game. So does Geno and who says he can’t?

12. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, I don’t think it’s a must that Sanchez be cut ASAP, though few things would make me happier. But you don’t see the logic of leaving the failed Sanchez experiment in the past ASAP? Of getting the sportswriter harpies to shut up about the butt fumble, Eva Longoria, and all kinds of other nonsense and actually write about the games? Of not wasting a single snap teaching a new system to a QB who’ll almost certainly never start another game for this team? Why isn’t Garrard, Geno, McElroy and maybe Simms on the practice squad enough insurance against injuries when we all know Geno’s gonna start as soon as Rex and Marty think he’s remotely ready? Maybe you should check the local community college catalogue for a refresher course in logic…

13. By scjoe on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

64, I agree, repeat, I AGREE, that due to the new rookie cap it is not a life changing event to select a QB high and not have him pan out. Unlike the Mark Sanchez and Jamarcus Russell days. The only detriment to it is it does prevent you from filling a major need at that spot, in Smith’s case, a safety, TE or OLB. And don’t forget, those other teams that also selected QBs, and already have an established one in place, did not select another one until the 4th round. A much better and much safer selection. Imagine, if the NYJ stayed pat at 4, they could have selected Nassib

14. By scjoe on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Ira, you’re a jewel, I wish everyone, including myself had the optimism that you have. But the fact of the matter is, given the state of this Jets roster prior to the draft ALMOST anyone they selected would have been an upgrade. Thought Aboushi was from Brooklyn?

15. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo and scjoe, just to show you I’m human and not in any mancrush or Idzik or anyone else, I will say I don’t get taking another DT at 6. I suppose there’s almost no WR, TE, OLB, or S left on the board that the Jets like, and I did notice that a lot of OLBs that we probably did like flew off the board in Round 5. But even if we’re going to a strict 4-3, do we really need another DT in this draft? I suppose this may mean we’re gonna sign Edwards, pick up a vet TE for blocking and try Cumberland for the catching, and hope that Bush, Allan, or maybe some vet pickup works out at S. On the whole, though, if you’d told me on Thursday that we’d get Milliner, Richardson, Geno, and Ivory without trading all our picks, I woulda been thrilled!

16. By SCfromNY on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

We will surprise the NFL similar to the read option last year. The 6 QB / NO TE look will be unbeatable. I have said I have no problem drafting a QB but Smith scares me. He didn’t go in the first so he wanted to take his ball and go home until he was patted on the head by his agent and assured someone would take him. With no Luck or RGIII I would have preferred Landry of Glennon.

Considering how Smith folded against Quality teams, his inmature manner, plus having Austin help his stats I din’t see what scouts saw. Oh well we will see. I hope I am wrong.

17. By scjoe on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

64, I guess that if the best reasons to cut Sanchez right now were “Eva Longoria” or last seasons “butt fumble” “or silencing the scribes” or simply putting the whole Sanchez persona behind us, then you would be correct. No doubt! But if you look at it “logically” they carry a 90 man roster, injuries can happen on consecutive plays in camp and preseason just as easily as in the regular season, there is no cap savings if he were cut anyway, so, what were you saying about that refresher course in logic?

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Okay, boys, you can put me down as not getting the last pick, either. With Ivory, Goodson, McKnight, and Powell looking like a truly modern backfield, I was hoping that meant Rex had finally gotten the message that the FB position no longer exists in any significant terms. I thnk it was only about 20 picks before us that anyone else even took one! So I guess this means it’s Holmes, Kerley, Hill, Gates, and maybe Edwards at WR, Cumberland and a vet pickup at TE, and maybe another vet pickup to hold the fort at S while we give Allen and Bush a yr to prove themselves. I suppose there are worse things given how much I like the first 4 picks and Ivory, but i was hoping for a full run of great stuff. The last 2 picks are too Same Old Rex for me.

19. By scjoe on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Ron, maybe you recall in my mock here where I had the NYJ selecting Charles Johnson the WR out of Grand Valley state in the 6th or 7th round he is 6’1” 200 lbs and ran a 4.3 40 at his pro day, he was also pretty productive, well, he went to GB the very next pick after the NYJ selected a “FB” yes, a “FB” in round 7. Tell me which you believe would have more upside? Tell me which would have filled more of a need? Thank you, I think I know your answer already.

20. By Jack on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Where are the TE’s and the WR’s OLB”

21. By IRA on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE,
    Oday went to HS in Bklyn but his family lives in SI.
    Nice value pick with Bohanon he basically can replace J Baker which was a shame he got hurt.
    All I know is I am looking over a draft rankings from 3 weeks ago and the Jets got Milliner,Richardson and Geno who were all ranked in the top 16 players of the first 32.
    I guess Bush and Allen will get a real chance and they should. They both showed lot of potential last summer and I felt Bush should have got some real plying time last year the last 2 games.
    If they can’t trade Sanchez then they should release him after 6-1 so they can split the cap hit unless they feel they can absorb the entire hit this season.
    No LB’s drafted I wouldn’t be surprised if they play more 4-3 especially

22. By IRA on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

with Dunbar playing 4 man fronts while he was with the Vikings. They have enough young talented DL now to do that.

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Try arguing with THIS logic, scjoe: Sanchez will never start a game for the Jets again, so why waste snaps on him that Geno needs? But I totally agree with you about Charles Johnson and as I was reading your post I was hoping you were gonna say we signed him as a UFA already. Oh well, I’ve already heard the theory that we’re saving WR and TE for next yr when we’ll have more picks and a LOT more cap money…

24. By GaryC on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Jetfantom,this guy Bohanon does more things then the terminator could do,they say he is a jack of all trades,maybe taking Tebow’s place when he is dumped,he can go downfield and catch passes.

25. By GaryC on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

It looks like it is going to be more four three,with these tackles we drafted,Kendrick Ellis better lose about 40 pounds because the nose tackle position could become absoulete,the line is getting faster.

26. By GaryC on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

remember,we have the undrafted players out there,they look and see the jets need a tightend and receivers and they will see a chance to make a team.

27. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Okay, guys and gals, this is my last post before going back to all the work that I pushed ahead to obsess on the draft for most of the last 3 days, so I’ll say this: I don’t watch as much college football as some of you, though I do see a lot of SoCal high school ball ’cause it’s on in the local bars, and of course I saw almost all of Sanchez at USC. But I’ve watched a ton of Geno clips and I see 3 things he does very well: (1) Put the ball in tight spaces (2) Scramble out of the pocket for yds, and (3) Scramble long enough to extend plays and throw. As we all know, when “Mark” tries to scramble and extend plays, it almost always means a pick or a fumble and often at the most critical times. So on that basis I’m optimistic about Geno.

28. By Arte "I Like Dreaming" Olde School Section 327 on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

idk JetsNation… it should be better than before that’s all I have to say for now… less predictability than ever before too and that’s what we need. Yes it’s a totally new team this year.. Really say hello to the New New York Jets… Bottom line at best we go 8-8 and rex is gone.. at best! Unless of course Garrard starts and doesn’t get hurt.. Then anything is possible even the playoffs..!! Choke city as usual.. We could’ve done better but Rex is still here. if he’s anything like his franchise QB he’ll be out the door BEFORE the end of the season!! I Like Dreaming!

29. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Keeps a Real Cool Head on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Sorry, scjoe, couldn’t resist, MM says he can only work the system with 3 QBs. I don’t see the pt of putting Sanchez thru months of a new system when you know starting him with Geno, Garrard, and McElroy availalble would set off a full-scale revolt at MetLife. Nope, I think “Mark’s” a goner sooner than later, especially if his agent (and his brother) convince him he’s wiser to start looking for a new team now. It’s also interesting that Idzik said he’s spoken to MS’s agent but NOT MS himself! Another interesting thing is that MM had dinner with Geno and they picked him. When Schotty scouted Kerley and they picked him, they made it sound like it was only out of largesse on Rex’s part. Now I think Rex’ll take help anywhere he can get it.

30. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Change on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

One last delicious irony that I REALLY can’t resist: Revis spends the last couple of yrs implying that Sanchez may not be a good enough QB. Then in the same week that his relentless greed draws him to TB, we pick the #1 QB prospect in the nation, signaling that MS is on the way out the door — while Revis finds himself stuck with Freeman, as big a bust as MS if not bigger and one that hasn’t even played a part in any playoff game wins! Your karma is LOUSY, Duh-relle! But maybe your uncle can explain how that works to you, since you seem to have bought into his awful ideas on how an honorable career is supposed to work…

31. By Frank on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I like the second half of the draft starting with Winters a lot better than the first half. Richardson was a huge mistake they should have taken Jones who is going to be a pernial all pro with the Steelers and instead of Smith I would have either traded up for Ertz or drafted Arthur Brown who went to the Ravens. Jones and Brown would have given us one of the best young LB groups in the league. I am saying it now Jones, Brown and Ertz are going to be stars in this league. Adding Smith is going to be a disaster the QB situatioin is an absolute mess and waste of time. I said the same thing when we drafted Sanchez he absolutely held this team back over the last 4 years and blew a chance to win a championship with him. We will never win w/Smith!

32. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Change on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Rest easy, frustrated WR and TE fans, looks like quite a few of your favorites are on Brandt’s list of the best UFA’s, including Moe and Stoneburner.

33. By Tom Spicer on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Geno Smith wears # 12 there was a QB for the Jets who wore #12 & he won a Super Bowl for us back in 69. Im just saying!

34. By Tom Spicer on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Guys complained about adding Tebow saying it wasnt good competition for Mark. Than they complained about adding Garrad saying it wasnt good competition for Mark. Now we add the best competition he could possible get & guys still find something to complain about AMAZING!

35. By IRA on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I just can’t believe the air waves and many here with so much negative remarks about what the Jets have done. Idzik seems like a smart man and Bradway is a long time well respected personnel man around the NFL they know what they are doing. They couldn’t address all their needs in one draft. Lets see how the roster looks come opening day.
    Well for Rex my feeling right now which could change is by drafting Geno he gets a 1 year extension as long as the team plays hard,shows improvement as the season goes along and wins 6-7 games. 8 games he should get HC of the Year Award. So lets have some patience get behind this team and support them.
    GO JETS!!!!

36. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Joseph Fauria,Lucas Reed,Ryan Otten,Dan Buckner,Chad Bumphus,Lutzenkirchen,just some wideouts and tight ends that can be brought in as undrafted free agents.

37. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Michael Buchanan,Illinois,another guy,tall and rangy as an outside backer,looks like Calvin Pace.

38. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

This is what I mean by johnny come lately’s to the draft,why do guys got Campbell in the papers as an offensive linemen,last year he played with Mike Martin who was drafted by Tennessee,he wears number 73 for Michigan.Please get the facts straight.He is a Defensive Tackle.

39. By Randy Lange on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, Will Campbell is coming to the Jets as an offensive guard candidate. John Idzik and Jeff Bauer said Saturday night that he’s a guard, Gil Brandt opined before the draft that he might have a better future on the OL than the DL, and Campbell said on his conference call that two of the three teams that worked him out were looking at him as a guard.

40. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Randy,thanks for the update,another conversion project,time will tell on that.

41. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,we know you are giddy about Geno being here but relax,he would have gone in the first round if he was a can’t miss prospect.

42. By Karan on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Now, taking time to look at this, It wasn’t really a bad draft. I still would have liked Warmack in the first round but the pick of Brian Winters is good, he can be solid down the road. Geno Smith pick, I still don’t like, but when Idzik said competition, he meant competition. He was simply the best QB in the draft in the Jets opinion, so they brought him in to compete with Sanchez and Garrard. Personally, I think the final 3 QBs on this roster by the beginning of this season will be Smith, Garrard and McElroy. Sanchez brought this on hinself but the organiZation has also screwed things up for him. Tebow should have never been here to begin with. Ivory is a great pickup, thats going to be a great trianing camp battle between Ivory, Goodson, McKnight and Powell. Very nice depth.

43. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I just listened to the conference call with Campbell,he doesn’t sound to excited about the switch,hope he learned something about the offensive line play from Taylor Lewan,who will be a top offensive line pick in next years draft.

44. By Karan on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Since no TEs were drafted, the Jets need to add at least veteran via free agency. Cumberland could be the starter and I don’t mind at all. They should add a Jake Scott for example for more veteran competition. Re-signing Edwards would be great. I approve of he Richardson pick, saw his highlights, good versatile D lineman, and fast, could be like a younger Jay Ratliff. Milliner, another nice pick-up, will beat Wilson for the no.2 spot at CB.

45. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

JetFanTom,not to get on your case,but now Freeman is a bust because he hasn’t won a playoff game,what other quarterback can we say the same about,I mean,not winning a playoff game,HMMM.I am not going to jump on any Geno Bandwagons,he is already predicting playoffs,did he go to the Rex school of winning over friends.

46. By Fran'scan on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

To Mr. positivity, aka Frank. Seems just about all draft experts had Smith as the top QB and we got him in the second round yet your expertise says we’ll never win with him. You blasted Sanchez when he came out and while not fantastic, he was a working part of our first two AFC championship runs in… an eternity, Sanchez has regressed to the point where I don’t want him anymore but as for Smith, Give the guy a fair chance. If your predictions continue to pan out, most of the fans on here will be enjoying a better than expected season. Do you also pick horses ?

47. By kw65fan on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Hey Randy, Up till about a month or so ago I was able to view the videos of interviews and Erics one on one but I can’t now. When I click it on I just get a blank screen. is there something I need to download so I can see the interviews. Please let me know…Thanks

48. By Randy Lange on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

kw65fan, I’ve passed your observation on to my tech people and we’ll see what we can find out.

49. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Change on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I don’t mean to single people out but this — “We will never win w/Smith!”” — is exactly the kind of thinking we don’t need, if it can even be called thinking. What is there to a post like this but fear and some kind of madly egotistical need to make sweeping predictions? Spicer, YOUR post about people complaining about the QB situation is RIGHT ON and along those lines, everyone should read Mehta’s absurd piece today — so that they never bother reading him again! He says Milliner’s the only starter we picked when we picked about 4 starters and calls the QB situation “a mess.” Ira, patience in even the smallest amount is inconceivable for too many Jet fans. They’ve been totally brainwashed by a hostile media. They barely qualify as fans.

50. By ELI RODRIGUEZ--If it's FAIR and OPEN G-MAC will win. on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Spicer: G-MAC also wored #12 and actually attended Alabama, I’m just saying. I just wish the Jets had drafted EDDIE LACY then Geno just don’t think he’s mature enough or mentally strong——but time will tell.

51. By scjoe on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Ira, being optimistic is fine, wish I could be a little more optimistic myself, but speaking realistically, and by taking a long close look at what appears to be our starting secondary, tell me, how do you even begin to slow down the NE passing game? Or any other passing game for that matter. Break down that secondary before you answer. Now, tell me that an OLB (Jones?) whether it be a 3-4 or a 4-3 OLB would not have gone a long way toward helping out that secondary, either in coverage OR via the pass rush as opposed to another DT? Milliner will struggle, that is a given, and that is “providing” he stays healthy. And that isn’t being negative, it is being realistic.

52. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Change on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Ira, in the wake of this draft here are my thoughts on Rex, which will no doubt shock some on this site since, as a British writer once told me, “You Americans have no ear for nuance.” As everyone knows, I don’t think Rex is a good HC at all. He’s taken forever to objectively evaluate players who don’t have it, ignored players who might have it, and his boasting and bloviating have made us the laughingstock of the league. That said, he’s still the HC and we’ve just given him our best, most potentially explosive draft in decades. If he can work with MM to update his views on O, get the most out of his guys on D, and put the emphasis on coaching instead of talking, there’s no reason he shouldn’t get a fair shot at staying on after this yr.

53. By scjoe on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

64, honestly, I don’t really care if “Mark” is released today, tomorrow, next week, or on June 1st! My “logic” was to keep as many arms and as many bodies on the roster as you can with 90 being the limit, especially when it doesn’t effect the cap. If MM wants to keep only 3, fine! He knows more about what is going on inside that building then you or I. What I would like to see is the team giving him an ultimatum to take a pay cut, stay and compete, or take your 8 mil and run. That will tell once and for all who he is.

54. By don on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE JETS BRING BACK EDWARDS ON A ONE YEAR DEAL THAT WOULD GIVE US FOUR W/R’S & SEE IF WE COULD GET CHARLES WOODSON FOR SAFETY FOR A ONE YEAR DEAL . AS FAR AS TIGHTEND GOES MAYBE BRING IN KELLEN WINSLOW ALSO ON A ONE YEAR DEAL . BECAUSE I THINK THAT IDZIK STILL NEEDS TO ADDRESS THE W/R , T/E, S POSITIONS BEFORE WE GO INTO NEXT SEASON .

55. By scjoe on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

SCfromNY, my take on Smith mirrors yours, and I too hope I am wrong. The little charade he pulled with the scribes leading up to the draft, and the pouting at the draft were not positive signs for a QB who is set to begin his career in NY. I know by saying that I will be scolded by the new found positive crowd, but all I can tell them right now is to hope that your take AND my take on him are dead wrong. I hope they are as well.

56. By Charliejet on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

GaryC you mentioned Bohanon being a “jack of all trades” catching the ball down field -sounds like Morhniweg may of had a say here on this one, with his west coast passing offense. 6 QB’s hey folks Idzik did say it was going to be very competitive and players “will be coming and going”. This is getting very interesting.
    I am hearing great things about this kid Winter.

57. By kw65fan on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, my take on this guy is he is bright and is not going to take anything without a fight. first that blareing article from some guy ripping him apart BUT where coaches and players saying the complete opposite. Who would you believe…I think the coaches and players that huddle with him know a helluva lot more than some writer. Second, about him leaving to go home that night…also wrong. yes he left the draft with 3 teams to go who were NOT drafting a QB. I would go home too. But he told his Mom that he would be back the next day because he was confident he would be selected next. We just cannot believe all this tabloid garbage like we have last couple years with Munish and his unknown sources who by the way was just spotted at

58. By kw65fan on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Golden Corral and speaking to the Assistant Manager as one of his sources. The dishwasher kid didn’t pan out I guess. Serby another loser who worked for the News and now the Post. Still wish Richard Todd would have ripped his face off way back when. All Serby did…just like Cimini is rip the Jets. they think it was there punishment because they had to cover the Jets in those down years. Cimini…never had read his garbage. I see what Tom64 says from his quotes and nothing but garbage. And then all time lowhard Frachesca. I can’t take him no more oh Mr. Media King…LOL. rather listen to Steven A. Smith and then Michael Kay.

59. By GaryC on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

JetFanTom you have certainly done a 360 on Smith,guys like Scjoe,who says I wanted Eifert and Warmack,that’s true and at the beginning of draft those were the guys not knowing Milliner would fall to them,but where are the ones who said Colin Klein had a better arm then Tebow, and would be a good NFL quarterback,and now the Texans will try him as a tightend.

60. By IRA on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

scjoe,
    First of all we don’t know what the opening day roster will be. With that said Cro and Milliner will be a very solid CB pair,Wison goes back to his more natural spot as a nickel, i like Lankster, and i think Walls and Fletcher have some potential plus they have Berry too. At safety well they used 2 picks on Bush and Allen last year. My guess is they add another veteran safety either before or during August camp. The secondary will be fine especially if they can now get a better pass rush with Richardson and Coples going into his 2nd year. I would have loved Jones but 2 things maybe the Jets had concerns about his medical condition or they just felt Richardson was the better rated player and he was the best DT in the draft.

61. By IRA on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Tom,
    Glad to see you agree i think Rex is an outstanding defensive minded coach and is a good HC that needs to improve in certain things. I think MM will be a big plus for Rex and if they can get some solid play out of the QB spot they will be a competitve team.

62. By IRA on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, I left out Trufant and Jarrett who i liked coming out of Temple. Just let this play out they will be ok and get back on track.I am going to say they will be in the talks of being a 9 win team come 2014.

63. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Change on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, you should read Lupica’s article today. As you know, I think Lupica should stop writing about politics and stick to sports, and today he makes a great pt on Idzik re Smith. He pts out that Idzik calmly and patiently getting Wilson in the 3rd might be very much like getting Geno in the 2nd. He also implies, as would I, that if we still had Mr T, we woulda traded the house to pick Geno at #5. This is what you call progress, as even scjoe has admitted. Cimini is DEAD WRONG to say picking a QB at 2 is a backhand compliment, he’s still stuck in the ’70s. Today your starting QB can be picked 2, 3, or maybe even lower as Brady proved. I’ll support Spicer in getting as excited about this pick as he wants, he was all over it from the start.

64. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Change on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, Freeman has been a bust even longer than Sanchez, the playoff game thing was just a grace note. I told you when we picked Sanchez about my college football website pal who said, “USC has better QBs than Sanchez now, Freeman s—s, and Stafford has a shot at making it if he can stay healthy,” and that’s almost exacty how it’s turned out. I’ll be happy to keep an eye on Newton this yr and see how far he progresses. I know this, Geno’s style of play is a lot closer to Newton’s than it is to “Mark’s,” and what Newton and Geno also have in common is coming out of multi-yrs of starting in college with some real heat on them — as opposed to hype on them, which is all that Sanchez and which I fully admit to falling for thanks to Rex.

65. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Change on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, let’s say it takes Geno a while to get up to speed, learn the pro game, stop fumbling, etc. Let’s say Garrard starts, performs acceptably, but by the time we’re 3-6 it’s pretty clear we’re not going anywhere in 2013. Now the crowd starts calling for Geno and pretty soon he comes in and shows flashes of both brilliance and ineptitude. We’re 5-8 and the smart thing to do is forget about the playoffs and let Geno get the season under his belt. But the “If-it-bleeds-it-leads” NYC sportswriters start saying “Mark deserves another chance,” start with idiotic articles like with Revis last wk about how “the Jets are lying to Mark.” BUT IF “MARK” IS ALREADY GONE FOR 6 MONTHS, THIS CAN’T HAPPEN! “All right, nighty-night!…” (Name that tune!)

66. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Tom64 my friend, Riddle me this.. as I sit and read post after post after post after post after post after post of yours, changing your statements at a dizzying rate, I have a simple question and I hope you’ll answer honestly, because it’s you who put it out there for all of us to read and judge , Here it is 1st, you know how you’re always lecturing us on how Rex brags constantly how great this team Sanchez Revis all were, Next, you said they’ll be NO QB drafted this year because Idzik is rebuilding, Now Idzik that takes a QB, Here’s my Question Since you hate Rex for his Bragging. What’s your take on G-Smith already bragging he’s going to be our next Franchise QB. his very 1st day here ?,Even Rex waited a few months cont.

67. By Karan on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I’m actually excited to see what this defense will look like. Something tells me Idzik is not done with the D. The D-Line is set. Wilkerson, Coples and Richardson to lead and Garay, Harrison and Ellis for depth. Linebackers are OK. I like McIntryre and Barnes, they could be productive. Davis should be a good replacement for Scott and Harris will continue to play at a high level. Pace re-signing, I’m not a big fan of but we need an experienced veteran OLB in the system. Secondary isn’t that bad. Cro is still here, Milliner will be pretty good down the road, Wilson adds depth. Trufant has shown signs before IR last season. His issue is that he’s 30. Lanskter ads depth. I like the Landry signing and think Allen will be productive his 2nd season. Yes, we are inexperienced at S and not deep in OLB and S positions but what I like about this D is that it is younger. Mo, Coples and Richardson can be a scary combo with Dunbar as their teacher.

68. By Mike Jet Vet on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Rex had his reasons, which I’m guessing you’ll never care to understand being you.yourself, future is now, rising sun, cool head Luke, or whom ever you fantasize being, Rex believed in his guys and felt the need to praise not chastise them, hopefully bringing the best out of these men children, unfortunately, it didn’t work, at least he tried,. Now on the other hand this Kid who sat and pouted through out the draft whining why he didn’t go early, does he remind of anyone we just let go? He’s already thinking of himself not the team. only difference in our favor we didn’t move to get him before 2th round, so he can sit and stew for awhile before handing him the reigns Gino Keep your mouth shut listen and learn,

69. By Frank on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Frans’can, 64 et,el. The draft experts all say Smith is not a franchise QB and that is MY OPINION. As a matter of fact to show you how clueless this orgaization is it is very likely he would not have been the second QB picked if not for the Jets and ceratinly not until at least the thrid round. This draft was loaded with talent OTHER than thw QB postion and we could have done better its that simple. Now what? we have no playmakers and 6 QB’s. This WAS NOT ABOUT BEING PATIENT we should have drafted core players and waited until next season to look for a franchise QB.
    And ‘Can you show up once in a blue moon to shoot your mouth off. WE won INSPITE of Sanchez who over the last FOUR years had the worst QBR in the NFL. I hated the pick

70. By Frank on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

…when we made it then and I was vocal about it and I hate this pick and I am being vocal about it. This is a mess with a controversial QB pick a lame duck coach and the worst QB in the league counting 17 Mil vs the cap if we cut him. This is just STUPID!!!!!!!!!
    Spicer Don’t quote me garbage stats look at the film Smith is suspect add his juvenile behavior leading up to and in the draft and his idiotic tweets and proclamations “:we are going to the playoffs” shows he is not NFL Ready and IMMATURITY just like…..ge who else does he remind me of?…..The similarties between him and Sanchez is frightening.

71. By Frank on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Ok further evaluation. We hire MM who is a west coast guy. You have Sanchez who god only knows what he can play. You have Garrard who is a west coast guy and a good pick up. You add Smith who is a read option guy and so is Tebow. So you have Spicer shooting his mouth off dump Tebow and keep Sanchez, Garrard and Smith. Really Spicer what O would you like MM to run you have 3 QB’s who play three different styles. Use your head!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is a mess!!!!!!!!!! What O is MM going to run if you ask Smith to do anything other than read option we just wasted a second round pick. If you run the read option only Smith and Tebow can run it forget Sanchez and Garrard. On top of all this we have Simms and McElroy what would you like to do with them?

72. By Frank on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Ira really Bradway is a good personel guy?????? The way I look at it the drafts the last several years have been horrible. The drafts that were any good were when Parcells was here and Mangini they knew how to pick players. Rex is an abomination and has been the kiss of death to this orgaization. He has run this team into the ground and is responsible for running Tanny and all the good coaches we accumulated before him out of town. The guy is cluless and runs the team without any direction. I said it before this team wins nothing with him around he is NOT a HC he is a DC. His hands are all over this draft.

73. By danny on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

No matter what QB we drafted half this site will bash anyway. No one knows how this kid will pan out but he has all the tools so don’t just go by his college career. We do not have to invest 50 million in Smith so it will not set us back 5 yrs if he’s a bust so give the kid a chance it’s a much better situation then we had at QB last week that’s for sure. How can Sjoe say our Dbs will be bad and can’t stop anyone ?? No this kid is not Revis but if he’s better then Wilson who held his own last yr that’s great with CRO and Wilson back inside for nickel. We drafted two safeties last yr let them play and if neither pan out then we draft a safety next yr but I like Allen and wanna see him play. Were heading in the right direction I believe

74. By since shea on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I wonder if the brain trust will surround Geno with talent to give him and us a chance to succeed. Will they learn from how they “developed” Sanchez? Brady would never have had a chance with what we laid out for Sanchez. As for the draft itself, I dont mind Milliner at all. I dont get the DT at #13. That should have been the OLB Jones. Pass rush would take some heat off the rookie corner and suspect safeties. I wanted to see them get Ertz somehow in the second round followed by Lacey and O line beef. You think there is a real QB competition here? Sanchez must be mentally finished with us if not physically finished. Garrard hasnt played in 2 yrs. Geno? With no offensive talent?

75. By Arte "I Like Dreaming" Olde School Section 327 on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Look at how things have changed for us JetNation?? This in less than a week. Dee Milliner for Revis (+13M), Geno Smith for Sanchez (God knows a bit more excitement and UNPREDICTABILITY as well as 70% completion, TD-INT and far superior QB ratings. Bottom Line: He knows what to do with the ball and has improved EVERY YEAR! Very impressive! Just read about Mr. Ivory! Over Shonn “stuffed up the middle – ground and pound” I don’t think so! Ivory is a BEAST and will be our #1 RB. Robertson over fat cats Devito/Pouha! Younger, stronger and FASTER!! Dynamic middle stud for our beast of a D-LINE with Karl Dunbar working his major. VERY EXCITED FOR THIS YEARS DLINE!!! WILL BE THE BEAST OF THE AFCEAST this year & many more to come. O-LINE DEPTH NOW!!

76. By Arte "I Like Dreaming" Olde School Section 327 on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

IDZ TIME FOR A CHANGE JETSNATION!! VERY EXCITED TODAY!! REFRESHING!!!

77. By since shea on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

I bleed green like the rest of you. But I am embarrassed at how we conduct our business. It is like a circus. And a mean one at that. Look how disgruntled players are when they leave here. Mevis. Kendall. Slauson. That back up QB for a week until we brought in Tebow. We signed rock star clean cut kid Tebow and what, destroyed whatever career he had? So he will leave us disgraced? Sanchez was the new darling of broadway. 2 AFC title games in his first two years. We whittle away a supporting cast, fail to give him more assets to build on. He gets destroyed by Baltimore early in season 3 because we had no running game or O line that was any good. That was his turning point. Now its his time to be cast off in disgrace. Who is next?

78. By scjoe on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

64, lolololol! I was looking for the paddles after I read your recent post to Ira. It was truly hilarious coming from you. The line about this draft being “the best, and potentially the most explosive in decades” was funny, but not the funniest! That could only be “there is no reason he (REX!) shouldn’t get a fair shot at staying on after this year” LOL! Believe me, it is not the line that was so funny, just the source. It seems like just a couple of days ago you had RR out the front door at Florham Park even before you had “Mark” out. What made you suddenly change your mind? You were right though. It was “shocking!.” Explosive???

79. By russ on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

We build with a stronger OL this year, a running back with speed and power I get it. Next year we target more skill positions with a more experienced line I get it. Not picking Nasib I get it, an indoor quarterback ( thats why his coach reconsidered). But I have not seen Geno as the guy…with greater talent surounding him he was good not great..but second guessing is easier from here than it is at Florham Park..Good luck Jets..

80. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Ready for Change on Apr 28, 2013 | Reply

Hey folks, check out the complete list of UFA’s so far, lots of good guys at WR, TE, CB, and S including some who were projected to be drafted and were at the Combine. As Randy told us a few yrs ago, the 7-pick limit was agreed upon by both the league and the players’ association to enable as many guys to cut their own deals as possible, not because nobody past the 7th pick is any good. If you look at it as more like a 12-round draft, we drafted plenty guys at WR, TE, DB, and one of the top remaining OLB prospects. We also signed some UFA guys from schools with really great football programs, also a big change from the Mr T era.

81. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Alternate Draft, This is how it could have looked

1-Chance Warmack (G)
    1A- Jarvis Jones (OLB)
    2-Jamar Taylor (CB)
    3-Jordan Reed (TE)
    4-Ryan Nassib (QB)
    5-Jonathan Meeks (S)
    6-Latavius Murray ( 6’2” 223LB RB 4.37 40)
    7-Charles Johnson (WR 6’2” 215 4.38 40)
    These were all players that were available when the Jets selected. Sure, like the Jets draft, there are no guarantees, but I can assure you, Warmack, Jones, and Reed could have been penciled in as starters on opening day, with strong maybes for Nassib, Taylor and Meeks. Sorry, no DTs!

82. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Which one of you guys was it who, a day or two into the draft, started saying that all the sportswriters — most of whom know less than a lot of folks on this site — agreed that this wasn’t a good draft? Well, this is from Cimini, who’s about as reflexively anti-Jets as it gets: “TOUCHDOWN: Look at it this way: The Jets landed the best cornerback (Dee Milliner), the best defensive tackle (Sheldon Richardson) and the best quarterback. It’s a productive draft whenever you can grab three “bests.” You can question the idea of picking Smith, but you can’t argue he was a good value in the second round.” In a sop to scjoe, Cimini had “idea” in italics. I think Geno will either show a lot this yr or be up against another high-drafted QB next yr.

83. By anthony on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Just wondering why the jets didn’t draft a WR late, Da’rick Rogers was available and hes the type of guy the jets need speedy and tall can climb the ladder and pull in those errant throws, I hope the team is worse than they were last year so we can get some WRs and safeties in the next draft, although I’d like to see the young guys they drafted last year do well

84. By anthony on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

@don I’d be in favor of that, those are some solid ideas

85. By IRA on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

I can understand Idzik might want to hold onto Sanchez until August when he might be able to trade him i just don’t see it. If you drafted Geno and expect him to play some time this year then he needs as many reps as possible. You would think if Sanchez is still on the roster come August Geno would be the #3 and would not get enough reps to get him ready to be a #2 or #1. So i think the best move is to move on from Sanchez before camp and even before mini-camp. It would just be another distraction they don’t need.

86. By GaryC on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Okay,I know we are going to get a lot of comments on Tebow’s lack of playing ability,but the jets need to put up a statue of this guy in Florham Park,and underline it with the title,CHARACTER PERSONIFIED.Jets told this guy to put on 30 pounds,not even knowing what they were going to do with him and basically he rode the pines all year.We know he cannot play all that well,but some of the characters that the jets have brought in over the years can learn from him.

87. By GaryC on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Go into newyorkjetsdraft.com,if gives you interesting insight on the undrafted free agents the jets have signed already.

88. By GaryC on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Randy or Eric,I know this is probably not the day to discuss this,but this thing with switching Campbell to guard,Omameh,came out this year for Michigan and has three years experience starting,if this Michigan coach thought highly of Campbell at guard why hasn’t he played there since 2010.what sets Campbell as a guard as opposed to Omameh at guard,same school,more experience.

89. By Jersey Rich on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

I don’t think the Tebow fiasco was his fault. I wish him well. To quote Brian Costello “The Circus tents are starting to come down”.

90. By Jersey Rich on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Lehigh All-American WR Ryan Spadola signed as a Free Agent. This is an exciting Jersey kid who loosely reminds me of a Chrebet or Welker type. I hope he shows enough to make the team. Go Jets!!

91. By carolina jet fan on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

scjoe-I like your comment and agree that MS should man up, admit he has not EARNED 8.25 plus 1/2 mil training camp bonus. If he wants to help the JETS then do it and stop taking advantage of a MT blunder. As for Cambell, GaryC- take heart- the JETS gambled a 6 or 7 round pick on a defensive takle from LSU years ago. Dan Alexander anchored the RG position for the JETS for many years. Not a sure thing but the scouts aparently see something.

92. By don on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

WILL GENO HAVE THE ARMSTRENGH TO THROW THE BALL 40 TO 50 YARDS DEEP DOWNFIELD . IT SEEMS LIKE MOST OF HIS PASSES WERE SHORT & ACROSS THE MIDDLE TO HIS FAVORITE W/R TAVON AUSTIN . DOES THAT MEAN THAT KERLEY WILL BECOME HIS FAVORITE TARGET & WONT HAVE THE ARM TO GET THE BALL DEEP ENOUGH TO HOLMES & HOLMES WILL START TO POUT AGAIN THAT HE’S NOT GETTING THE BALL ENOUGH .I HEARD THAT ALOT OF SCOUTS AT THE COMBINE WORRIED ABOUT HIS ARMSTRENGH . I GUESS THE JETS AREN”T WORRIED ABOUT HIS ARMSTRENGH . I THOUGH THAT THE JETS WERE HIGHER ON RYAN NASIB THEN SMITH . ONLY TIME WILL TELL HOPE THE JETS WERE RIGHT IN DRAFTING SMITH.

93. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

kw65fan, this is an irrelevant point right now, but what if a team traded up in to the bottom of the 1st round to select Smith AFTER he had already left the building? What impression would that have cast on his new team. Maybe his immaturity will not become a major issue in NY, but maybe it will. I am not anti Geno Smith, I am a NYJ fan, I hope the pick works out as much as the next guy, just pointing out certain things about players and draft picks like everyone else.

94. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Ira, lets be honest, Wilson is not a very good cover guy, Allen and Bell will struggle mightily, especially if they are in there together, Millner will also struggle, for how long we don’t know yet, CB is a very difficult transition from college to the pros. The rest of the CB class are all iffy at best, any vet safety they pick up at this point will also be iffy, unless it is via trade for a 2014 pick. Aside from Landry, you can see my point. And yes, Richardson was one of the top rated Dts in the draft, my question is, did we need a DT?

95. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

64, I know that YOU know that when any sports writer, sports caster, sports talk show host or draft guru gives their “opinions” that is all it is “their opinion” you can pick and choose which one you want to emulate because their opinions are that diverse. True, some right here on this site have as valid an opinion as any one of them. So, bottom line? It’s a moot point. That said, there are some who have actually been in the business i.e. Pat Kirwin, who’s “opinion” I respect more then others.

96. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, no 180 or 360 on Geno, I just think, like I thought with McElroy and Tebow, if you get a QB who’s done something in college, you should play him and see what he’s got, we know Sanchez has nothing. No reason we can’t pick another QB next yr and let him fight it out with Geno, like I say with CAR and their QB picks when you need a QB in this league these days you better go get one before worrying about who your WRs and TEs are. I think that’s partly the thinking behind not drafting at either of those positions this yr and certainly behind not signing another big vet WR like Holmes. Unlike a lot of dreamer Jet fans, I know that none of what Idzik’s doing has been done with an eye toward making the playoffs this yr.

97. By JetBlu on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Random thoughts: I’m OK with most of the picks. Rams moved in and took Austin away so picking Milliner was a good move.. Should have taken Eifert at #13. Didn’t need a FB with that last pick. As for the QB situation, best thing to do would be cut Sanchez after June 1st. He’s done so I can’t see him as a positive influence in the locker room. Hope Tebow is picked up by another team and can contribute as a TE or slot Rcvr in some way…just not NE. This season needs to be the start of many changes, most of all attitude. We’ve not earned the right to talk so let’s start there. Rex still needs to go. HC needs to be himself and he can’t be that – big mouth. Fear not Jet Fans – we have hope again.

98. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Not to much more to say about the Tim Tebow debacle except, love him or hate him, he was dealt a hand he didn’t deserve. I hope he catches on with someone, anyone, this league, the CFL or even the arena league where hopefully he can get some of those well needed reps. Good luck Mr Tebow.

99. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

scjoe and MJV, let’s consider the meanings of words like ambiguity and ambivalence. First, let’s watch SEVEN DAYS IN MAY and study the scene in which Burt Lancaster’s general admits that he doesn’t like the treaty that’s been proposed with the Russians but doesn’t think a military coup is the way to oppose it. Now, can you say, “You can’t always get what you want?” I’d love to see Rex fired tomorrow and I wish this draft had been conducted without him. But I’m not going to be unfair to him or anyone else, I said if he can show real growth as a HC and respond to the new personnel and coaches, he MIGHT deserve “a shot” at returning FOR A YR and then we’ll evaluate again. If Mr T was still here and we went 8-8, he’d re-up Rex’s deal for 5 yrs.

100. By RONBO on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Tom64 suggesting I need look at Richardson’s film before deciding make about as much sense as tellin Dolly Parton she needs breast implants!Actually, I think you and Karan and anybody else who thinks looking at the 20 second film clips that are provided by the players college teams for publicity purposes are the ones who need film study. Miks Mayock of the NFL has amazing video that shows the good and the bad.His Geno tape of blunders would make Mark Sanchez look like Tom Brady (butt fumble & all!) S.C.JOE, everyone one of your posts on this header is spot on! Your alternate draft is so much better than the actual. I have not seen one comment or evaluation of out draft that grades it any higher than a C!

101. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Frank, the gist of your posts on QBs seems to be you hate them all equally and don’t think any of them work out as soon as they put on the Green and White. My sense is what’s going on is that you’d rather be totally negative so that you can be proven right — some folks try being totally positive so they can be proven right, but you can ask Karan how well that worked with Sanchez — than analyze things on a case-by-case base, worrying less about being right or wrong than about results on the field. As Rizzuto said all the time, you can’t be afraid to fail. I was right on MS at USC, wrong to buy into Rex’s hype, and back to right on MS after the 1st half of the PIT playoff loss. Now my mind’s not on my record but on moving on at QB post-MS.

102. By Karan on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

THANK YOU since shea, I couldn’t have said it better myself. This organization indeed has left many players disgruntled. Unfortunately, Sanchez was the latest victim. He was supposed to be the future, 4-2 road playoff record, 2 title games, everything was looking great until the 2011 offseason. Thats where it all began. Lost all the supporting cast because of a GM who didn’t know what he was doing, same with the owner. Instead if building on after the 2010 roster, it disintegrated. I understand cap issues but WOW, that much of a change??? Then Tebow? For what, sales by a clueless owner?? And here we are today, Sanchez is pretty much done here, yes he’s played bad but I really do feel bad for the guy. If anyone could fix him, it would be this new OC. But he’s here now, and #6 won’t even get a chance to work a season with him. Good luck to you Geno, hope you don’t get the Sanchez treatment.

103. By RONBO on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

IRA, I admire your loyalty and optimism no doubt! But as a 30 year season ticket holder I gotta tell you,this was one of the most dissappointing drafts ever! I have no idea what 64 is smokeing when he calls it explosive? Actually, the Richardson pick almost resulted in my t.v exploding from me throwing it across the room! LOL!
    But seriously, the Rams who had picks 16 & 22 somehow snuck up ahead of us for Austin,then traded back to recoup the pick they lost, & they still managed to pick up 3 starters. And the Vikeings also picked up 3 starters too.Our three piks netted us a C.B with injury issues,a back-up D.E.(he is not a N.T. and a Q.B who may not play a down, who fumbled 16 times last year! Does that stat remind you of anyone?The rest of

104. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Ira, I applaud your adult thinking in musing on reasons why Idzik might cut Sanchez today, tomorrow, or never. You’d think some people would learn from, say, last wk’s draft that it’s not in the interest of any GM to answer to anyone, from sportswriters to fans, about what he’s planning on doing. You’d think the way somebody at the Jets told Kimberly Jones they had no interest in picking a QB on Day 2 about half an hour before picking Geno would show them the FO has their minds on bigger things than half-baked criticims. I guess the way Mr T seemed to be terrified of anyone and everyone, always defending himself publicly, has shown them the wrong way to work at GM. So far Idzik seems to have a lot more calm and confidence at the position.

105. By IRA on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Anthony, D. Rodgers has been noted to have many character issues and thats why the Bills got him as an undrafted player. I don’t know his issues but i have read he could have been the top WR if not for those problems.
    Frank,
    Think Mangini drafted players without the input from the personnel dept. Please all GM’s and coaches are given reports about players and then they make their decesions. And Rex’s hands are not all over this draft they took the best available players according to their board.

106. By RONBO on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

cont- this draft produced a potential starter(Winters)though there is no guarantee as he has neve played G. A back up G or T plus another science project Cambell who played D.T in college but we will try at G? Oh, and a guy who plays a posisition that on most teams is basically obsolete F.B? Frankly, I would rather have the Giants draft as the got a starting calaber O.L, a D.E-OLB D.Moore, and a potential future starting Q.B to eventually replace Eli. Now I’m not looking to change your mind or anything because we all love you just the way you are. I’m just answereing you question as to why there are so many negative posts here. Truthfully, I would grade this draft as a C, as it looks like only one sure starter,& two possibles ?

107. By Stevesc on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, I agree with your comment on TT. I hope he gets a shot somewhere as he is, above anything else, a terrific person. Sometimes we get so caught up in what type of player someone is, that we forget to look at what kind of human being he is… Look at the flip side, where a lot of players are great, but are jerks. A stint in the NFL is small slice of a players life. TT will be more successful in life, which in the long run is more important. As for the draft, I like what Idzik did. We all have our opinions, good and bad, and only time will tell how it will pan out. Ira, I’m with you and Tom64, and will be optimistic regarding the future of the JETS.

108. By GaryC on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, wasn’t it a nice change that we did not pick a guy from UMASS with a high pick or a guy from Hampton with a high pick,that most of our picks came from the major conferences,a far change from Tanny.Even the staunchest jet haters have to believe they came out well with this draft,the only ones I have a question with is Geno and why was Campbell who is converting the best available at the time of his selection.

109. By GaryC on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Carolina Jet,very good bringing up Alexander,but we had just drafted two lineman and haven’t we signed Peterman,I read that somewhere.

110. By GaryC on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,Hankins underachiever with Ohio State,Moore plummeted after the combine,Nassib will be riding the pines on the Giants,Pugh,has the short arms that teams do not like with their tackles,I will take the jet draft.

111. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Stevesc, well stated on all fronts, and I respect your opinion.

112. By RONBO on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

I would reccommend you not discount Hankins as he played injured all season and he will be a good pro in a solid rotation with the Blue. Nassib in round 4 is a much better value than Gino in 2.(especially when you consider we selected a back-up D.E in rd 1) So basically you think its a good draft when we get one sure starter(Milliner) One mabey starter (Winters who has never played G) A project Q.B. who may not see the field, 2 other back up o-linemen, and a guy who plays a posisition most teams feel is obsolete? Sorry bro but to me this draft is way over-rated! As for Ivory who is always injured, there were 4 R.B’s including Lattimore & Franklin that would have been less expensive and would have likely been as good or better.Sorry bro,

113. By IRA on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

scjoe,
    Yes we needed a DT do you really think Ellis or Garay are the answer?
    Ronbo,
    You can’t get so down on the draft. Really nobody knows for sure until they start to play but like i have said to me they drafted 4 starters: Winters, Smith [at some point], Richarson and Milliner. Were they flashy or sexy picks? No but they filled needs this team had. Lets hope we were right on all of them. Just because you need a TE or WR doesn’t mean you pick one if there are other players that are rated higher on your board when your team needs so much. And if Hill happens to get better then a WR group of Hill, Holmes and Kerley might not be bad.

114. By RONBO on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, I do agree with you about not picking any UMass guys! Here’s the thing, we all want the best for our team. No question! I think the reason a lot of Jet fans are disappointed is with 2 first rd picks plus early picks in every rd it certianly looked like we had an opportunity to substantially upgrade the roster.Truthfully this is the most excited about a draft as I had been for years.Best of all Tanny wasn’t here to screw it up again!But if you look at how creative other teams like the Rams were there is no way you can comapare our draft with theirs or the Vikeings who picked much later and yet managed to pick up 5 or 6 starters each.From the looks of this roster we will likely be picking top 10 again next year so lets get it right!

115. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

The guard position looks a little better today then it did a week ago. I would assume, because that is all we can do at this point, that Peterman and Colon will emerge as the starters. I would hope that Winters could win one of those spots sooner rather then later. What does that say about Duccasse? A couple of the UDFAs appear interesting as well, with Davis the OLB and Rogers WR heading the list.

116. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, sportswriters should know more than fans because they get paid to so when they don’t it’s fair game to pt it out. And yes, picking and choosing on a case-by-case basis is the whole ball game, like Lancaster in …MAY. Spicer, sorry to not credit you correctly on that great post about “competition for Mark.” Ronbo, I still can’t make sense of you claiming to love Richardson as a player but not as a pick when we’re going to more 4-3. And if you don’t think a QB with potential to be our Kaepernick/Wilson/Newton (sorry, GaryC) is a lot more explosive than “Mark,” I don’t know what YOU’RE smoking. Ira, I agree about Rex’s hands not being all that on this draft, Cimini did make a good pt about how similar this draft is to Idzik at SEA.

117. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Here’s all you need to know about sportswriters who overly contrive to trash the Jets: Cimini’s piece today on the release of Tebow comes up on Google as “A New Low for the New York Jets” — as if we’re going forward with Tebow rather than getting rid of him. Of course, keeping him woulda been a lower low and more evidence of “the circus” that’s Cimini’s favorite topic. Indeed, Idzik already came in for Cimini’s wrath for not cutting Tebow AND Sanchez on SATURDAY, the day after Geno was picked. There is simply nothing to say about this kind of nonsense other than that it’s pretty weird that ESPN tolerates it from the Jets writer but not the Giants writer. Luckily, Idzik’s already established a policy of paying no attention to writers.

118. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

In reading Kimberly Jones piece on nfl.com I asked myself this question “What ARE these people thinking about? She actually has John Idzik on the top step entering the HOF simply for releasing Tim Tebow. Are you kidding me? Judging by what happened last season, my 8 year old grand daughter would have made the same decision. Positive crowd, understand, this is not a knock on John Idzik, it is a knock on some who make a living on writing about sports and sporting events.

119. By russ on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

I said it before and I’ll say it again, a strong Ol will protect qb and keep the running game productive, and with defenses prodecting the run the passing game opens up and even recvers like Ironhands Hill will catch the ball….I like many of the undrafted free agens many recvers and special teamers good work Jets.

120. By scjoe on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Ira, Ellis is regarded as a NT in a 3-4 which has been Rex’s base defense all along. He also has Harrison at 346 lbs as a pure NT. “If” he decided to go to a 4-3 fine! But do you really use a 1st round pick to accommodate the move? With a guard available who could step right in and start immediately and who also was a top 10 talent by most standards, a guard you yourself said was the safest pick in the draft, you take him. Sure, you can’t get everything you want in the 1st round, therefore go strictly with what you need. Best player available is not always the best way to go. Should have been Warmack at 9, Jones at 13. So, we can just agree to disagree.

121. By MIKE on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

It makes too much sense to change the D to a 4-3. Coples is better playing outside and Richardson is better inside. Plus D Davis can transition to the OLB, he had the athletic ability to do so.

Some people questioned why the Jets did not release Tebow earlier. I believe Idzik did not simply because there was an outside shot another team may trade for him. Even for a 7th rounder. Now that the draft has come and gone, Tebow gets released. Good business by Idzik.

To put a positive spin on this years draft, the Jets just drafted 4 legit starters in MIlliner, Richardson, Smith and Winters. I can’t remember the last time that happened.

122. By GaryC on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

jetfantom,one more thing about your friend saying that USC had about four quarterbacks better then Sanchez,as of now,only Barkley a fourth round draftee is on any roster,can you get me those other names.

123. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Ira, I think you can see how crazy negative Jet fans can get when they don’t consider picking the #1 QB prospect in the 2nd round a “sexy pick” — I don’t mean you, I mean people who think Geno is somehow inferior coming out of college to “Mark.” But I think even you are underrating Geno’s potential as well as his inevitability, given the givens. I look to see him starting no later than around game 9 or 10, maybe considerably earlier.

124. By danny on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo I think we drafted 3 maybe 4 starters. Richardson is gonna play a lot. He’s got a high motor and athletic ability to make plays from sideline to sideline. A 4 man front which Rex even runs his dads 46 D cause he trusts his corners, would be Big Mo, Richardson, Ellis and Coples which is a young athletic Fast D line. U will see a lot of 4 man fronts this season and to say Ivory is injury prone and rather draft Lattimore coming off major major surgery REALLYYYYY ??? Landry was injury prone coming into last yr and had a great yr. Ivory has had some bad luck but he’s a huge talent worth the shot. Smith was top rated QB that we drafted in 2nd rd for very cheap compared to top rated QB’s in the past so how can anyone say bad pick

125. By RONBO on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

MIKE, given this teams track record,dont you think you are being more than a little premature proclaiming we have 4 starters from this draft? When Rex (who has never coached anything but a 3-4 defence i will believe it when I see it as far as switching to the 4-3? Winters at this point is 4th in line behind Peterman,Colon & Ducasse.Can that change? Of course, but at this point Winters having never played guard has to prove himself first! Gino? Will he even be given the chance this year? We shall see. Richardson will only start if we go 4-3 so at this point he’s on the bench unless he beats out Coples(which would shock no one here! And frankly,given the fact we had 2 1st rd picks plus early picks in every rd,is 4 ‘only 4 starters enough?

126. By RONBO on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

DANNY, again, glad your back with us.If you read my above posts you know how I feel about this draft! If your worried about Lattimore’s knee I get that.The difference is Lattimore would only cost us 450,000 salary vs. the 2million Ivory cost.If Ivory is so good why was he 4th string? As for Richardson he is a back up D.E or 3rd down pass rusher until he beats out Coples.Again, he is not a N.T. I dont know why you think we got 4 starters when Milliner is the only sure thing. To me this draft was lousey! But I hope I’m wrong!

127. By RONBO on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, thank god your here on this site as everybody else seems to be drinking the kool-aid here reveling in 64’s rhetoric about the draft of the century we apparently pulled off. Frankly, until proven otherwise I’m not buying any of it! I thought your alternative draft was spot on as Warmack & Jones would be immediate impact players,Jamar Taylor a great #3 corner.Not as sold on J.Reed as you are but there were plenty of T.E options. I also agree about the w.r Charles Johnson over the fullback who will not even make the practice squad.(he ran a slower 40 at 4.86 than half the O-linemen.

128. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, my friend said “USC has better QBs than Sanchez now” meaning it as slightly sarcastic, and he didn’t say “4 QBs.” I took it that he meant Barkley was better than Sanchez in his view and that he didn’t think MS was a great pro prospect. Ronbo, how many picks did IND need to get 7 starters last yr? 4 starters in one draft would be the best Jet draft since ’77 by far. danny, not only is Lattimore coming off MAJOR surgery — as opposed to the less critical surgeries Milliner has had — but Lacey’s toe is more serious than was reported, as we saw with the report some teams didn’t want any part of him because of that. I also think, as I’ve said, that Idzik didn’t want Smith handing off to rookie RBs and struggling with rookie WRs and TE’s.

129. By RONBO on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

T64, if we we do in fact play more 4-3 I will be a lot more enthusiactic about the Richardson pick. To address your question as to why I like the player but not the pick? On the other hand, if we continue to play mostly 3-4 the pick will remain a luxury head scratcher to any knowledgeable Jet fan. JET FAN FRANK, if your gonna tell me I need to watch more video I would suggest you read more scouting reports: Richardson is NOT a good run stopper. As a matter of fact his scouting report states: while he shows a good burst to penetrate the backfield,it does not translate well in the running game where he is rarely a factor.I would suggest we get the facts before we turn him into the second coming of Reggie White!

130. By RONBO on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

64, Let me preface my remarks by saying we are friends.I have zero animosity towards anyone on Randy’s Radar. My comments are not intended to be negative or offend anyone.I am simply stateing my opinion because like you,S.C Joe, Jet Fan Frank and everyone else here I am tired of loseing and want to get this thing turned around. The reason I am so disappointed is because I saw this draft as a potential game changer. I was hopeing for a lot more than 1 definate starter(MIlliner) Now, are there others who can eventually start?Heck yeah! But there were clearly better options who would have made us instantly better. I know I’m guilty of seeking instant gratification here but it is how I feel and thats why I come here to be with my fellow Jets!

131. By GaryC on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

sorry,jetfantom,you made that same comment last year,remember when you said go check with him,that is what he says,not me.

132. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Ron, you know and I know, that a lot of this praise for the new GM is simply based on the prior belief that he has already “changed the culture”of the NYJ and is doing EVERYTHING better then Tbum did. How can they possibly back off of that belief now? I challenge any one of the new breed to tell me exactly how he has done that. By not resigning the mediocre FAs who’s contracts had expired? By releasing Scott and Pace? By releasing Tebow? Or maybe because he just selected another 3-4DE for the 3rd consecutive year? Look, I liked the selection of Idzik, I really did, but c’mon, lets be realistic.

133. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

One more point on my previous post Ron, the fact that Mike Tannenbaum was SO bad in what he had done here, almost anything or anybody would have been an immediate upgrade. I think that in itself is the reason some have jumped so heavily and so blindly on to the bandwagon. I said from day 1, the selection looks good on paper, but lets give it time to see how it all works out, some choose to ignore that advice.

134. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Amazing, Ronbo, how you and scjoe get excited over “impact players” who don’t drive the O when the most common post on any site but this one after every embarrassing loss with “Mark” at QB is “GET A QB!” And I’d suggest you infer meaning from what people actually do than from what you think they’ll do. REX has to make some impact this yr to keep his job. As Arte pointed out before the draft, the old Rex way of telling us all these guys that he thinks are so great — from Woodhead and Wilson to Coples and Davis — “aren’t ready” for a bigger role is OVER. As everyone knows, one of my main pts is the Jets are great at drafting guys and then getting cold feet about actually playing them. But that’s history and that’s why you’ll see more 4-3.

135. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

And hey Ronbo, you got all bent out of shape when I accused you of responding to the Richardson pick as if to say “Where’s the run-stuffer?” But here you are today railing about how Richardson “is NOT a good run stopper.” Are you getting Scjoe Disease and starting to discuss issues in the opposite way that you just did? I think you need to call that GM back and ask him why he was upset that he couldn’t get Richardson. Then consider that the 3-4 hasn’t worked for us in terms of STOPPING OFFENSES AND WINNING GAMES! And then finally you might, just might, get your mind around the idea of change coming to the D. “Frankly,” I think it’s change that you have the biggest problem with, not this draft.

136. By RONBO on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

TOM64 & Jet Fan Frank, this my final comments on this draft as far as voiceing my dissatisfaction” Go to the sporting news site as they rank us #29 out of 31 teams.Now I;m sure some will say who cares what they say and thats fine.But understand this, they have been covering the draft way before anyone ever heard of Mel Kiper,Mike Mayock or any other draft guru! There are very few draft publications who’s opinion I value but they are on my short list. They gave us a D+ ranking mostly because of the Richardson fit question as well as the low regard they had for 2 of the 3 o-linemen we picked.And of course the fullback too! Enough said so lets look forward to the 2014 draft which most feel will be much better.

137. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, Ronbo, and I just posted Bucky Brooks’ piece today saying we got the best draft in our conference and Geno was the steal of the whole draft. If arguing about which writer said what, I’d say who reads the Sporting News at any time after about 1977? And yeah, we’re friends but cyber-friends, which is why my main goal is to say interesting stuff and have fun doing it. If we were all friends living on the same block, I’d phrase it differently. scjoe, the very fact that Idzik values draft choices and Mr T didn’t is a huge change in the culture. But you’re still not sold on the idea that the draft is the primary way you build a dynasty, so i can’t help you there.

138. By Row on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Richardson is an absolute stud, a game changer, someone offenses will have to game plan for. Watch his tape. Absolutely nothing wrong with this pick. I am most worried about Sanchez getting handed the job again and the safety position.. Progress over personal relationships. Go Jets

139. By RONBO on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

TOM64, As you and I are in our 60’s I can relate to your obvious memory loss as I frequently find myself wondering why I walked across a room? That said, I never said Richardson was a run stuffer.Actually someone else did to which I responded contrarily. But not to worry, as I keep saying to anyone who will listen I like Richardson as a player.Again, I just thought there were better choices at that pick? So let move on as I’m tired of beating this very dead horse! S.C.Joe, I find it interesting how when I urged we give Idzik time before being critical I was 64’s buddy? Now that I find reason to question him I’m the Sheriff of Nottingham to his Robin Hood?Geez, talk about fair weather freinds?LOL

140. By danny on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Chris Ivory was not really the 4th string back in NO. U gotta remember there is technically 2 starting RB’s with Sproles eating up touches then they had Pierre Thomas and Mark Ingram. Ivory has rushed for 750 yds one of his seasons and has had the injury bug a lot but like Goodson when given the opportunity he exceled. I think both should complement each other well with there two different styles of play and if one does get injured Powel showed last yr he’s capable of stepping in for one so I think there both worth the risk and we upgraded the RB position. Ivory is another starter we picked up by trading a 4th rd pick. Rex runs a lot of different Defense’s so I’m sure he will utilize Richardson to be disruptive in the backfield

141. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

64, do you even realize how much double talk you have done over the past 10-12 months? You have done a complete 180 on many of the issues and many of the statements you have made during that time. How can anyone take you serious any more? Is it ALL due to the fact there is a new GM in place? Personally, I can’t wait to see your reaction IF this team does not seriously compete for the SB within the next 2-3 years. Guess it will be 180 time once again.

142. By scjoe on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Ron, excellent point about those Sporting News grades, but I think it will fall on deaf ears. That said, I think I will follow your lead and make this my final comment on this draft. Lets just wait and see how it plays out on the field instead of just on paper. Then we can resume the comments.

143. By RONBO on May 1, 2013 | Reply

64, Fair enough, lets do what all gentlemen do when they cant find common ground, agree to disagree and move on. Due to the 3,000 mile seperation we will remain “cybrer friends but thats cool. As I respect & value your opinion I just want to throw that out there. I believe the reason you,S.C.Joe and many others come here is because we enjoy a good stimulateing debate.I for one would be bored to death if everyone here agreed with everything I said. As far as Booky Brooks or the Sporting News is concerned there opinions are all well & good, but the only thing that will matter to all of us a Jet Superbowl victory so its time to bet behind our team and hope it happans sooner than later.

144. By RONBO on May 1, 2013 | Reply

ROW, I truley hope you are right concerning Richardson. The Jets desperately need difference makers on either side of the ball so lets hope Rex can figure out a way to get him on the field and make him productive. As I said to T64, I would suggest you dont put too much stock in thos 30 second video’s as they are distributed by the players college to promote the school as well as the player. Also the players agents also put out that type of stuff as well. It will be interesting to see how Rex incorporates him into the defense as he is best known for his ability to shoot through gaps and make plays in the backfield.That is not somthing usually seen in a 3-4 defense as the d-linemen are usually used to occupy blockers.

145. By RONBO on May 1, 2013 | Reply

DANNY, I get you with regard to Ivory’s situation in N.O’s and I think your right that we cant hold it against him that N.O’s had so many good players at that posisition.
    I do like the depth ar R.B and dont underestimate Powell because he is our best pass protector and can catch it out of the backfield too.Frankly I’ll be surprised if McKnight even makes this team! Bye the way, what happaned as we didn’t hear from you for so long?

146. By kleckofan on May 1, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for the great read guys. Been out of town.
    In a nutshell, and not to try to reinvigorate any battles: disappointing.
    I get the “best player” theory, but the Jets board looked different than mine I guess?
    Time will tell.
    Back to my battle cry of damn the torpedoes, cut Sanchez

147. By RONBO on May 1, 2013 | Reply

Klecko Fan, yeah, we’ve been having some good old fashioned fun here with S.C.Joe,T64 and Gary C. (plus the comments of too many to name.It’s all in fun but it sure got heated a few times. Glad your back to join in the fun. I figured you were away or not feeling well because its not like you to miss out on all the fun here!
    Welcome back bro!

148. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on May 1, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, scjoe, kleckofan and others, I don’t usually get all that excited until 3 yrs. I said that with Gholston, Sanchez, Rex, Greene, Kerley, Wilson, and just about anyone else of consequence. So I look forward to seeing what these guys can actually do rather than making sweeping statements about their futures three days after the draft. And yes, Rondo, it’s terribly boring to read a football site that reads like a NE post-game press conference, so I don’t mind seeing the slings and arrows fly from whoever to whoever. In the big picture, my “attitude of gratitude” moves me to celebrate Howard’s ESPN column, which I mention on the story ahead of this one, about how quickly Idzik has changed the culture of the previously-clueless Jets.

149. By scjoe on May 2, 2013 | Reply

64, the only problem is you already HAVE given sweeping reviews to guys like Smith and Richardson, don’t you even realize that? That is what I mean by wishy washy, you may not see that term in any dictionary, but basically what it means is one who flip flops much to often on the issues.

150. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on May 3, 2013 | Reply

It’s always hard to make headway in a discussion with someone who makes no intelligent distinctions, scjoe — like a guy who’ll say one day after the draft “Smith won’t win in New York.” There’s a world of difference between saying Geno and Richardson had solid, at times spectacular college careers, were drafted smartly in line with the team’s array of needs over the next few yrs, and are good bets to “win in New Yok” minus, of course, any guarantees of same. But then, you’re the guy whose every third post or so starts with the naive complaint, “What guarantee is there….?”

151. By scjoe on May 3, 2013 | Reply

64, ditto that! It is VERY hard to make any headway with someone who makes no intelligent distinctions. But I try. When you factor in the point that those “distinctions” change from week to week and sometimes from post to post it makes it that much more difficult. So how can you even take one seriously? I guess that is why you see the moniker change so often.

152. By JetSet1 on May 3, 2013 | Reply

Whew… I’ll start by saying I have no qualifications for having any briliant opinions on the draft, but I was born a Jets fan; thanks Pop and I’m old enough to remember our Super Bowl win!!!
    Been through some rough days as a fan for sure. I am not quite sure what to think (my head is spinning and being a sports fan is supposed to be my relaxing time!!!) in terms os ‘our’ owner, HC, OC etc, but I can tell you this- I ‘feel’ like we have a LONG road ahead of us with whatever you want to call where we are at with ‘our’ team
    Love reading all your remarks and opinions as I have for years and years! Be good Jets peeps and I will close with saying I expect the worst but hold out hope to be pleasantly surprised!!!

153. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Agrees with Rex That "Change Happens" on May 4, 2013 | Reply

Good example of you resorting to a purely personal attack when you’ve got nuthin’ in the holster, scjoe. “Don’t come inside with that weak stuff,” as my friends on the Harlem basketball courts used to say back in about ’70…