• Sat., Nov. 22, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 26, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 27, 2014 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY Jets Game Plan is a 30-minute preview show co-hosted by Jeane Coakley and Brian Custer with analysts Ray Lucas and Erik Coleman, providing a comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup.
  • Sat., Nov. 29, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

All Rookies Swimming, Some Stand Out to Rex

Posted by Randy Lange on May 10, 2013 – 3:47 pm

Rex Ryan seems to enjoy this time of the NFL year quite a bit. The first practice of rookie minicamp gives the Jets head coach a chance to impress on his young charges the adaptations that will have to take place for them all too succeed at the pro level, while at the same time allowing him to admire some of the skills of the individual players who have taken the Jets practice field for the first time.

Today’s first practice of the 2013 rookie minicamp was no different.

“I always like to challenge guys mentally when they get here,” Rex opened his news conference this afternoon, “to let them know the process speeds up quite a bit. Wow! We made a few busts today on both sides of the ball. Either way, we’ve got a long way to go.”

But as far as the talent on hand? Wow again. Ryan was first asked about second-round QB Geno Smith.

“I liked the way Geno threw the ball. He looked pretty impressive to me,” the coach said. “He can really spin it, no surprise there. … But you kind of listen to the huddle and all that kind of stuff. Some guys can’t spit it out. He certainly can. The way he conducts himself, eyes up and all that stuff. And you want to see the ball come out with some kind of rhythm.

“Obviously a lot of things have to get better, but for the most part I thought he did throw the ball on rhythm pretty well and he was fairly accurate with it, so it was good.”

Smith spoke in the locker room earlier (we’ll provide a transcript of his remarks later this afternoon) and wasn’t saying he aced his first exam.

“My first goal is to prove myself to the team here,” he said before a large group of pads and pens, microphones and cameras. “I’ll let the coaches do the grading. If I was giving myself a mark, I’m a tough grader so I’d say an F. I need to get better every day.”

The Jets’ pair of first-rounders were also around. The top pick of the draft, CB Dee Milliner, stayed on the sideline or on the stationary bike due to his shoulder.

“It’s not all the way, 100 percent, healed,” he said. “It’s a couple of months’ process before you get back to normal. I just know to listen to what the trainers tell me, go out there and do what they tell me to do. Until they clear me to get out there, I’m going to be over there doing rehab.”

But. he was adamant that he’d be on the field in full pads sooner rather than later. Will he be ready to roll by the start of training camp? “Yeah,” he said, “I’ll be ready.”

Ryan wasn’t worried that the player considered the top corner on most everyone’s draft big board might fall behind.

“Dee’s got to nail down the mental part of it because he’s not going to get out there right away physically and do it,” the coach said. “Clearly he showed in college that he’s familiar with a lot of coverages. Several of the coverages Alabama plays are our coverages, too.”

The other first-rounder is Missouri DT Sheldon Richardson, and here Ryan’s eyes lit up.

“Sheldon was good. I don’t want to put expectations to high, but he was impressive, to say the least,” Ryan said. “We move them around, we can have a guy at nose, 3-technique, 5-technique, but there’s several different things he can do. One thing we saw today was his explosiveness, another is his effort to the football. He loves to play, you can already tell that. You could’ve doubled that practice and he’d’ve been fine.”

Richardson explained that his 6’3″, 294-pound size helped turn him into the football personality he is today.

“I was always the chubby kid in class that everybody picked on,” he said, “and I played with a chip on my shoulder. I still feel like I’m the same kid. I like to do what skinny guys do. Dunk a basketball? I want to jump as high as him and dunk a basketball. I happen to be able to dunk a basketball because of it. I have fun.  I’m a kid out there.”

Ryan will have more comments on all his players over the coming weeks and months, but he singled out a few more players today for different reasons.

“One guy who stood out was the receiver from Tennessee, Zach Rogers,” the coach said of the undrafted FA. “He caught a lot of balls out there, he was a slot receiver, you saw him return punts. And he did a good job in the special teams drills.”

Ryan also gave some kudos to free-agent center Dalton Freeman — “That All-American from Clemson looked really impressive to me” — and even touted a tryout player, former Rutgers CB Mason Robinson — “He was playing some nickel. The coaches at Rutgers said nobody wanted to fight this guy. That’s pretty good for a little [5'10", 185] corner.”

The Jets rookies will conduct the second day of their “swimming lessons” on Saturday with a schedule very similar to today’s before conducting a closed third and final day of camp on Sunday and then heading home or to the phones to call home and wish their moms Happy Mother’s Day.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

59 Responses to “All Rookies Swimming, Some Stand Out to Rex”

1. By scjoe on May 10, 2013 | Reply

I‘m not even going to join in the conversation on how Geno Smith or any other rook for that matter looks on the first day of rookie mini camp because there is a good chance some may not even make the final roster. Wait until midway through the season THEN start evaluating any that do happen to make the final cut.

2. By IRA on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Great to read some on the field football stuff for a change even if its rookie camp. hear Geno had no turnovers thats a plus in itself.
    Russ,
    Listen i was always a big Sanchez supporter and still a fan but i think its best for him to get back on track out of NY. Can’t see it any other way and yes they messed him up changing their approach after 010 on offense, new WR’s and last year that was a total debacle. So the Jets get a lot of blame but he took a lot of steps backwards especially in protectiong the ball.
    Heard good things about Rogers look forward to seeing
    him soon.
    Coples better get his act together soon they need him

3. By STEVEN on May 10, 2013 | Reply

HAYDEN SMITH IS GOING TO BE THE STUD TIGHT END AND NOBODY IS GOING TO ENJOY PLAYING AGAINST HIM. HE WILL BE A GAME CHANGER

4. By Karan on May 10, 2013 | Reply

The NYJ still need a veteran WR and TE.

5. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Dwells in Reality on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Not only is Sanchez on the way out of New York, Ira, but Smith will have to perform at a relatively high level by yr’s end to keep the Jets from picking another QB high in 2014. What Idzik showed that he understands on SEA is that in this league at this time, if you don’t have a great QB you’re nowhere and you’d better keep making moves until you get one.

6. By IRA on May 10, 2013 | Reply

Hayden Smith I feel might not even be on the team . They have Cumberland, Bohanon who is projected as an H-Back/TE, Baker and Epps plus they will more than likely sign a veteran at some point. Can’t see him making this team.

7. By MIKE on May 10, 2013 | Reply

To me taking Geno in the 2nd round doesn’t make him the sure fire starter this year or the next. Kellen Clemons played only a hand full of games when Pennington went down as a 2nd round pick and than the Jets brought in Favre. Geno was a solid pick in the 2nd round and thats it. If he turns out to be a quality starter than great, if he is a flop, he will be gone.

If the Jets win 8 or more games, Rex stays. If the Jets win 4 or less he should go. If there are somewhere in the middle we’ll see.

8. By SCfromNy on May 11, 2013 | Reply

I would love to see Hayden succeed and possibly he is coming along well so the Jets are waiting to surprise everyone. Which is why there has been so little attension to the TE position that has become very important in todays NFL.

This what I would like to see at QB. Smith picks up the system well. McElroy shines and starts the season. Garrard is a safety net like Brunell was. Simms released and after an OK camp Sanchez is traded for a 6th round pick next year.

I would still like to see a pass rushing OLB who can drop into coverage. Hopefully when cuts are made in the summer.

This year could go either way. My only hope is that games are competitive and we are not laughable.

9. By RONBO on May 11, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, I agree, I’m sure the Canton nominations will no doubt flow here shortly but if the Jets had a simular number of players on the field yesterday to the Giants (who I read had close to 90,? I’m thinking close to 75% of those at yesterdays first practice will not be on our roster this year. Cant really get too excited about Gino not throwing any interceptions as Milliner wan not even partisipateing? On the other hand its good to see the guys out on the field getting a feel for what lies ahead.

10. By RONBO on May 11, 2013 | Reply

IRA & SPICER, check out SNY’s blog today(its part of the “world press” like Randy’s Erick Weeks has a good piece on Gino exibiting nice leadership skill by getting all the O-linemen together Thursday evening for a meeting to get everyone on the same page with minute details like his snap count cadence and the key audable phrases. This behavior is certianly contrary to what some writers have portrayed to the public and speaks well of his leadership and communication skills. As unimpressed as I was originally, I’m beginnig to see some good signs here.Very sad to hear of George Sauer’s passing. He was a great Jet!

11. By IRA on May 11, 2013 | Reply

So sorry to hear about Sauer’s passing today. He left us just way too early. He was a great player for the Jets during his days and I can argue while Namath got the MVP of the SB it should have gone to Snell or Sauer.

12. By Jersey Rich on May 11, 2013 | Reply

R-I-P George Sauer – Thanks for all the thrilling football that you gave Jets Nation!!

13. By carl on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Go Geno Go!!! beat out that Sanchez!!!! Geno do me a favor don’t talk to Gary Myers!!!!! Go Faster Jets

14. By Charliejet on May 11, 2013 | Reply

RIP George Sauer, 69 years old. Only after looking at the highlight pictures did I see the post on his passing… I didn’t realize his career was so short seems it was longer than that.

15. By Charliejet on May 11, 2013 | Reply

“All Rookies Swimming, Some Stand Out to Rex” -Yea that’s what scares me, because anyone Rex that Rex praises or likes will be cut later on. That has been Rex’s pattern since he has been here.

16. By GaryC on May 11, 2013 | Reply

George Sauer was the Raymond Berry of the jets,SMOOTH.

17. By Randy Lange on May 11, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, in response to your QB question a little while ago, I did the research I could. It’s not exactly what you asked for but I think it’s close. In the last 10 regular seasons I searched for all QBs who played in at least 32 games combined (couldn’t search for starts). The number of QBs per round: Round 1 — 33; Round 2 — 8; Round 3 — 4; Round 4 — 5; Round 5 — 1; Round 6 — 5; Round 7 — 6; Undrafted — 10.

18. By IRA on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    Geno has to have a major chip on his shoulder that he wasn’t taken in the first rd and he should use that to show everyone they were wrong. I know I would for sure.
    Karan,
    I think its safe to say Idzik will add what he feels he needs as the team gets closer to going to Cortland.

19. By kw65fan on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Condolences to the Sauer family and Jet Family. Truly outstanding possession receiver back then. Quiet man. Met him briefly at a autograph signing with the rest of the Super Bowl team. Sat at the main table with Namath, Maynard and Snell. True gentleman and a true Jet.

20. By scjoe on May 11, 2013 | Reply

R.I.P. George Sauer, you were one of the great ones.

21. By scjoe on May 11, 2013 | Reply

64, (from a previous story) really, you have to come up with some new material, the mediocre FAs. Who played out their contracts and “chose” to move on is getting as stale as a month old loaf of bread. The FAs Idzik did sign to replace those “mediocre” FAs who left are in most cases lateral moves AT BEST. In some cases downright downgrades. So, again, how are you rating what he has done so far “very highly?” And again I will say to you that people who have read my comments all along know I was in favor of losing all but a couple of those who chose to leave (DeVito, Slauson) or those Idzik released so you are only kidding yourself when you say otherwise.

22. By Fred d on May 11, 2013 | Reply

take a look at Mason Robinson, out of Rutgers

23. By rw on May 11, 2013 | Reply

We have a terrible track record in developing players. I seriously think that that falls on the coaching. These rooks shouldn’t be ‘swimming’ all the time. The art of teaching is to simplify things, break complicated concepts down into relate-able pieces. Every year I hear about how the rookies are ‘swimming’. Every year it seems they just don’t grasp the system until their whole first season is gone.. Maybe we need a new ‘system’. That includes the coaching philosophy. I bet Pittsburgh’s ‘system’ isn’t so complicated. Rookies get it. They develop.

24. By scjoe on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Ira, if only it were that easy to come in and excel simply because you have a chip on your shoulder for not being taken in the 1st round. The one thing that Smith has to prove is that he can take the heat that the NY scribes will surely put on him when he is not on his game. There have been others before him who had all the physical and athletic attributes one could ask for (Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Gholston, etc.) yet still failed miserably. Let’s just hope history doesn’t rear it’s ugly head with this player.

25. By RONBO on May 11, 2013 | Reply

IRA, while i agree with you about Hayden Smith, No way I see Bohannon as a T.E.
    At 6-1 and running a 4.95 40? this guy is slower than a lot of O-linemen and so for the life of me I cant imagine why so many people on this site are expecting so much from him?

26. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Dwells in Reality on May 11, 2013 | Reply

Very sorry to hear about Sauer and I agree, Ira, he was an unsung hero of SB3, though not to those of us who actually watched the game. scjoe, give it up, you freaked negatively after Idzik took this franchise by the throat and you’ve been trying to spin it all away for months, I’m not bothering with you on that any more other than to say that your reactions to the Milliner, Richardson, and Smith picks were pure amateur night and I think you’ll live to be embarrassed by them. And speaking of going for the throat, that’s my favorite quote of the day, from MM on doing that on O, which every other HC in the NFL but Rex has been doing for the last ten-plus yrs. If MM can make that happen, he definitely deserves to be considered for HC in 2014.

27. By GaryC on May 11, 2013 | Reply

thanks Randy for taking the time to research that quarterback question I had,greatly appreciated.

28. By Mike Jet Vet on May 11, 2013 | Reply

I believe 2 rookie O-linemen added in the draft, will contribute this year, Defense will be good around mid season can’t make judgement on Idziks FA added to the team with their injury issues, Scjoe, watch and wait you’ll soon see another Tom64 180, if Rex starts with he likes Geno Smith, or he’s going to be a Top notch QB in the NFL, Either Rex will magically become Coach of the year before it begins, in his eyes or Rex will have ruined what would have been one of Idziks greatest picks..

29. By Fred on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Hey IRA you may want to check but i’m almost sure Epps wasnt tendered and we released Baker this year after that bad knee/leg injury

30. By scjoe on May 12, 2013 | Reply

MJV, actually 64 is in a win-win situation, if Smith starts and the Jets have a pretty decent year he will proclaim Idzik as GM of the year. If Smith starts and fails miserably it will be all on Rex and he will continue calling for his release. See, in 64s eyes, Idzik can do no wrong and Rex can do nothing right, so 64 will figure an angle no matter how it plays out.

31. By RONBO on May 12, 2013 | Reply

rw,Great post my man, one of the best i’ve read in quite a while. Sometimes i think a lot of verbage used today in calling plays,formations and blocking assignments is way to complicated and unneccessary. TOM64, I luv bro but I think your being unfair regarding your above post to S.C.JOE. I read every post you guys do and I never recall him being critical as to the talents of the players chosen.He simply tried (as have I )to point out that there were other perhaps more important needs we could have picked instead which in his mind would have made us competitive sooner. Personally,I agree with you, regarding the fate of this team this season.None the less the vast majority here are rooting for a playoff season this year realisticly or not,

32. By RONBO on May 12, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, interesting reading your above post to Ira. Like you I have concerns regarding Gino but there is one clear difference I see right off the bat from Ryan Leafe & Jemarcus Russell: “Dedication” The guys you compared him to had all the physical tools neccessary to be successful NFL QB’s. The thing that did them both in was the lack of dedication or committment to their craft. I know its too early to make any difinitive evaluation regarding Gino, but I seriously doubt Leafe or Russell gathered most of the other rookies together on the night prior to the first practice to go over such mundane things as formations, sight adjustments and even the basic cadence and snap count. The kids got leadership skills for sure!

33. By scjoe on May 12, 2013 | Reply

64, that’s fine! One last point for me too (after I get myself up off the floor from laughing so hard) I “freaked negatively?” after Idzik “took this franchise by the throat” LOL! Exactly how has he done that? By releasing Tebow? How about Scott? Maybe by not resigning old and injured Brian Thomas? Maybe releasing Eric Smith? Couldn’t have been Pace, he resigned him. Maybe by signing Colon? Maybe Garay? See, I am confused as to how he “took this franchise by the throat” because that is a pretty strong and a pretty significant statement. It can’t be because of the draft class because NO ONE knows how that plays out just yet! See why I am confused??

34. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Who Dwells in Reality on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Actually, scjoe, I’m in a win-win situation because I simply say what I believe and admit it when I no longer believe it. You and MJV are in a lose-lose situation because your posts increasingly make no sense. I’ve said the same things about the deteriorating situation on the Jets since the PIT playoff loss. Many of the things I’ve said resemble rw’s great post above in that when I see trouble coming systemically, I speak up. Rex’s failure to develop the players we draft, even the ones he raves about; Sanchez’s failure to develop, period; Mr T’s failure to build thru the draft, all things I said repeatedly. You, MJV, and increasingly Ronbo lose what little grasp of the situation you have intellectually in the face of your rabid emotions.

35. By Mike Jet Vet on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo. I agree in part on your assessment pertaining to J-Russell and R- Leafe. I believe you’re leaving out a very important portion of their failure. Both were thrown to the wolfs both were media Nightmares for their respective teams, both were hyped as the next greats proclaiming them savors of at the time troubled Franchises, and that my friends is far to much pressure for any young kid coming out of college to handle, This is why I’ve said if this Kid Smith is going to have any chance of being successful he needs to be weened into the position not forced

36. By scjoe on May 12, 2013 | Reply

Ron, lets not get to far ahead of ourselves, last I heard Smith just “attended” that rookie meeting, he didn’t put it together. But, I agree, just by attending it, it is a step in the right direction. As for 64? He tries hard to put certain words and phrases in my mouth all the time, but as I told him, people who read these posts know what they are reading.

37. By Mike Jet Vet on May 12, 2013 | Reply

I truly feel good about some of these new guys, not so good about others, to early to tell, either way, like to see where honesty lays in the hearts and minds of the select few here.. for instance, I’m very curious to see a how Fans like GaryC and Tom64 will evaluate Rex if our Defense once again keeps us in every game, our defense once again is top 10, since Rex arrived. and our offense is still as stagnant as every, since Rex is no longer guiding the Offense just Defense, Will they still blame Rex, as usual or give Idzik and MM a pass ? excuse it away as rebuilding, Like SCjoe says win win , or as I like to call it any which way the wind blows

38. By RONBO on May 13, 2013 | Reply

MJV, As 64 has cast you,S.C.Joe & I as the evil axis here on Randy’s Radar I feel quilty disagreeing wkith you guys.But as for Rex,on this issue we see things differently. I expect the D to do well as thats were most of the talent on this team lies.There are 5 #1 draft picks that currently reside on that side of the ball including the clubs last 4. Frankly they should be good! Where we differ here is that the man in charge is just that.The man in charge! No matter how we deflect the blame on Schotty,Sparano and perhaps M.M this year(yet to be determined) The H/C chooses his asst. coaches and part of the job is to make the right choices.so to me, again, the buck stops with Rex,the H/C!.If this tem is as bad as last years offense Rex will go!

39. By RONBO on May 13, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, I read on the SNY site that Gino actually called the meeting.Either way, he is showing iniative which is a far cry to his media portrayals to this point.Again, not nominating him to Canton,just trying to point out a different side.MJV, I agree Leafe & Russell were thrown to the wolves! No question.On the other hand, others have flporished under simular circumstances (Luck & R.G III) so at least some of it comes down to committment!

40. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Cautiously Optimistic on May 13, 2013 | Reply

MJV, I’d use another phrase involving blow in response to your post above but Randy wouldn’t print it. My posts on Sanchez and Rex have been consistent and increasingly critical since the PIT playoff loss, in which they were two of the main culprits. Once a third culprint, Schotty, was gone, we got one of the worst OC hires in NFL history courtesy of Rex and the two of them proceeded to reduce the O to the level of a Pop Warner team. So no, merely rallying as a pure D-oriented HC isn’t gonna bail him out in my eyes. Of course, you’re the kind of Jet fan who can’t imagine ever averaging 30 pts a game, so you don’t even have a standard on O to hold Rex to. scjoe, I quote the words you’ve printed and you try to spin it, next time think first.

41. By GaryC on May 13, 2013 | Reply

MikeJetVet,I have never been anti Rex as JetFanTom,he is the captain of that ship,Rex has accomplished more as a jet coach then most,I said within the last year with Idzik in his braggadocia will be silenced a bit,I mentioned Fassel many times to be brought in as his offensive coordinator and the only two guys I mentioned to ever take his place,who I wanted to see,was Gruden and the Stanford head coach Shaw,but that is if the jets were firing him,but,no I don’t think it is wise to let him go now.

42. By GaryC on May 13, 2013 | Reply

ronbo,relax with the dedication Geno is showing,if he doesn’t show it now when will he,the word is react,as to when he throws a couple of interceptions in a game,will he leave the locker room before the reporters get to him and own up to what he did,that is the question.

43. By scjoe on May 13, 2013 | Reply

64, a little dose of reality, EVERY NYJ fan witnessed a “deteriorating situation” and saw trouble coming systematically over the past 2-3 years, you do not have the exclusive on that. So, with that said, how does that equate to a “win-win” for you, and a “lose-lose for everyone else who questions you? And I don’t really care if you read this post OR respond to it, it is there for everyone to view. But I will say this, you sure have an uncanny way of skating around the issues and the questions, i.e. “What-has-John-Idzik-done-so-extraordinary-so -far-that-warrants-the-ratings-you-have-been-giving-him??” I have very casually directed that question to you no less the 5 times with out receiving any kind of rational answer.

44. By scjoe on May 13, 2013 | Reply

Ron, agree that Rex Ryan made bad choices re: the OC job. The blame for those choices is squarely on him, the results are not. But I’m not so sure that that is where the problem lies, I think the real and the true problem was the personnel, not so much the OC, although they did play a part. I will use the same ol analogy to make my point, if Shotty or Sparano were the OC at NE the past few years, I don’t think that offense skips a beat, so, how bad could those OCs be? Just look at the personnel offensively the past couple of years, start with the QB and work down. The blame, in this order is, GM- personnel-OC-HC.

45. By Mike Jet Vet on May 13, 2013 | Reply

Tom64, You make my point exactly, you dance around questions with slurs, when you haven’t a viable answer, Yes I’ll finally agree on one of your many many points you have been constant and increasingly critical but mostly in annoying a certain few here, with your constant barrage, slandering players coaches and fans.. insisting all knowledge Jets ends with you and Idzik. Which is comical at best.Please don’t take my comment to heart everyone knows where you’re concerned, the meaning of
    when the wind blows

46. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on May 13, 2013 | Reply

Also some of you guys are forgetting that Rex did not pick Shotty he was forced on him. Sparano is 100% Rex’s fault he hired him. But part of Rex taking the job was him keeping Schotty as his OC he was NOT picked by Rex.

47. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Cautiously Optimistic on May 13, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I wish I could remember the name of the guy who posted to someone who didn’t have very thick skin that we like to spar on this site, because I certainly agree with that. I won’t put you, MJV, and scjoe in any Evil Axis but I was shocked at the way the three of you started taking seriously the nonsensically negative kneejerk fears that Cimini, O’Conner, and others started lobbing at Idzik and continued with thru the draft. Luckily Idzik has established a policy of paying no attention to any such talk from anybody — which, scjoe, is only one of the many extraordinary things he’s done, given how Mr T and Rex behaved for the last few yrs, as I’ve posted many times. I have time to post a lot but not to post the same things three times.

48. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Cautiously Optimistic on May 13, 2013 | Reply

MJV, I can’t make much sense of your latest post and I’m not too interested in what YOU think “everyone” thinks, so I’ll just say I’ve never uttered a slur against anyone in my life and I have the battle scars to prove it. Joking around about Jet fans who can’t get out of the whirlpool of their own catastrophic fears over nothing or next to it, that’s something else again…

49. By scjoe on May 13, 2013 | Reply

64, seriously, don’t you think that by Idzik “not paying any attention to any negative talk by anybody” being construed as “extraordinary” is setting the proverbial bar just a tad to low? I mean even Mike Tannenbaum did that. The real fact of the matter is the man has done NOTHING “extraordinary” to date. He has done nothing totally negative either. So, lets just place him where he should be at this point in time…average, at best. Definitely NOT extraordinary. Now, someday I hope to see some extraordinary decisions, traits or signings from him, but to date there haven’t been any.

50. By RONBO on May 14, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, come on bro, I’m not all of a sunnen jumping on any bandwagons? i simply pointed out a story that was contrary to the negativity concerning Gino. I’m still with you in regard to seeing is believing! Like they say in Missouri:”show me!!”But it is nice to read some positive. He’s a Jet and we all want him to succeed.
    S.C.Joe, I get your argument which in view of the personell has merritt.I would modify your order of incompetence to G.M.Personell,H.C. O.C because again, its the H.C’s responcability to hire the O.C. TOM64, You keep accusing S.C.Joe,MJV & I of being critical of Idzik ? Frankly, if you were not so overly effusive in your praise,most of our comments would be unneccessary as we are merely trying to point out in view of-

51. By RONBO on May 14, 2013 | Reply

cont- what he has done so far its simply too early to heap so much praise on him.
    S.C.Joe has pointed this out to you on numerous occassions but from where I sit you choose to take this as a personal attack on Idzik? Or are you takeing it as a personal attack to you as it is counter to your opinion? Lets not forget why we come here; to talk Jets football. Hey, if we had no ego’s we probably would not bother posting here, but from what i’ve gathered most of us have enjoyed at least moderate success in life and feel we have somthing to offer here.And pretty much everyone who comes here does contribute.Again, we need to learn to simply agree to disagree rather than take things personally.

52. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Guardedly Optimistic Per Carolina Jet Fan on May 14, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, I’ll leave it to others to take up the question of whether, to cite just one example, waiting patiently for the #1 QB prospect to drop to our third pick — as opposed to trading up recklessly to get him — qualifies as good, bad, or “extraordinary” given the kind of moves Mr T made. If you read the posts on this site before the draft, it’ll be obvious that no one thought we could get Smith that easily. But I will engage you on the Mr T/Rex era, which should be remembered as The Reckless Era in both words and actions. As usual, too, you see things in all-or-nothing terms. Which is to say that while Mr T couldn’t even sign a vet backup C two yrs running, Idzik gets an All-American C as a UFA. It’s not all about high picks and big FA’s.

53. By RONBO on May 14, 2013 | Reply

64, if you go back and read my post I have supported Idzik with you since day 1 of his hireing. My feelings then and still today are that what ever plan he comes up with will take time.To me nothing has changed. My only points to you which you apparently chose to take as being negative is to state its way to early to praise or to be openly critical of Idziks body of work,again, todate. Now, as I was less than thrilled with the results of the draft (i still have a lot of questions there) that does not mean that I am all of a sudden anti Idzik. He would have to be a complete disaster to make me get to that point. Hey, I , along with the rest here,put up with Tanney for 7 or 8 years so the I-man has a long way to go.But I’m still optimistic.

54. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Guardedly Optimistic Per Carolina Jet Fan on May 14, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for fleshing out your more complete thoughts on the dawn of the Idzik era, Ronbo. I can’t argue with much of that and as you can see, my recent names have mentioned both cautious and guarded optimism. But there was nothing cautious or guarded about the way you, MJV, scjoe, and others freaked out within minutes of when we drafted guys and what’s worse, started buying into all kinds of nonsence whipped up by the hysterically anti-Jets NYC press. If you haven’t figured out that those guys are ragging on the Jets because they think there’s no other story in Florham Park, I can’t help you. The phrase about the press, after all, is “If it bleeds, it leads.” When it comes to Idzik, though, I see a lot more leadership than anybody predicted.

55. By scjoe on May 14, 2013 | Reply

64, here is where you are confused, let me try to enlighten you. You say “we got the #1 QB prospect with our 3rd pick” Well, actually the 2nd rd. BUT, in actuality he is the #1 QB “on paper” so don’t jump to any conclusions just yet. Also, it is obvious that Buffalo didn’t think he was the #1 QB prospect, and based on where he was drafted many other teams didn’t think so either. In all fairness, Buffalo and many of the others may turn out to be dead wrong, on the other end of the spectrum the NYJ may as well. Side note, read Ron’s post above and try to digest it accordingly, because he is dead on accurate!

56. By scjoe on May 14, 2013 | Reply

Ron, may I suggest you think about joining in on the recent rash of moniker changes and change yours to “Ron, The Voice Of Reason” I was thinking of changing mine as well, but it may be offensive to some. (:-)

57. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Not Impressed with the Bills since '64 on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, scjoe, I didn’t think I had to explain that our 3rd pick was our 3rd pick overall and our first in Round 2. And I’ll take a chance on our guys in Florham Park, now led by Idzik, knowing more about this yr’s QB field than the Bills, who haven’t won it all in any league since the days their QB was named Kemp, and I don’t mean Jeff…

58. By RONBO on May 15, 2013 | Reply

64, Nice to see us all back in a more Happy Place! I acknowledge I flew off the handle concerning the way the first rd of the draft played out as if you recall I am a “draft nut” and quite frankly didn’t agree with any of it. Like I said, I still question it but have moved on. These kids are all Jets now and my only concern is that they play up to the best of their ability’s. I do agree with you the Idzik has brought a sense of calm to the organization as I have seen little of the buffoonery we all witnessed through out the course of Tanney’s regime.If you recalled I cautioned Ira concerning the long range plans for the remaining f/o personell and as they just cut Cohen and another guy today we are basically down to one (Bradway)holdover ?

59. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Still Free of All Illusions on May 15, 2013 | Reply

Yup, Ronbo, I remember your advocacy of the flushing of the FO and of course who can forget your riding herd on the Rex worshippers by way of explaining what a pathetic excuse for a HC he is? So we all get it right sometime and wrong other times. I’ll stick with your thorough, detailed analysis of players to be drafted and put aside your emotionalism on the actual day of the draft. It just takes a little more long-term thinking and the ability to delay gratification to build a DYNASTY, which is what I’ve always been interested in, and I think Idzik pretty obviously looks more like the kind of guy who can do that than the guy we had before him.