• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 10, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

Dream Delayed, Now Lanier Coleman’s ‘Back In It’

Posted by Randy Lange on May 17, 2013 – 1:29 pm

Football is about a lot of things — the spectacle, the TV, the money, the trophy, the rings. But it is built on a lot of other things, such as great personalities and great stories. One of those people with one of those quintessential football stories is new Jet Lanier Coleman.

Whodat? Coleman is someone most fans have never heard of before, the 6’4″, 322-pound defensive tackle from New Orleans and Louisiana-Lafayette. Less than a week ago he went from longshot tryout at the Jets’ rookie minicamp to newly signed undrafted free agent.

But that only begins to scratch this story’s surface. Coleman was a longer shot than most tryouts in part because he’d been out of the game for three years. Well, out of the game but not far from it. As the friendly, intense big guy told me as we walked down the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center first-floor hallway last Saturday, when he was still an unsigned tryout, he’d spent those three years well in investing for his future by moving into the ranks of college strength and conditioning coaches. This past season he was one of the nation’s youngest strength coaches at the University of California.

“In my job, a lot of guys I work with and a lot of the mentors I have, they say to the guys they work with, ‘What do you desire? What do you want most in life?” he told me this week from his new spot in the Jets’ locker room. “When I look back on everything, in my youth, as a strength coach, my desire, my passion obviously is to help motivate and mold guys. But also, it was to still play football.

“So coming back into it was a huge thing on my part. I told some of my athletes I’d be a hypocrite if I didn’t get back and give it a shot.”

Coleman was “in it” in the first place for his decent career for the UL Ragin’ Cajuns in 2007-08, which got him on NFL draft radars only to the extent that he received a tryout with Minnesota in ’09. And that may have come about due to the scouting of another product of Bayou country, then-Vikings D-line coach Karl Dunbar.

“Coach Dunbar is legendary in my part of the country in South Louisiana, for not only the type of coach he is but the type of man he is,” Coleman said. “When it comes to anything in sports, before we walk through those doors, we’re men first, in the community and as leaders. He’s one of those to me, somebody I’ve always looked up to and a lot of the coaches I’ve worked for and worked with have felt the same, that he’s a great man.

“The story goes that Coach Dunbar was at LSU’s pro day, his alma mater, and he just came down I-10. When he saw me at my pro day, he was pretty impressed and told my position coaches he was pretty interested in me,” Coleman said, adding of the trip north, “It didn’t work out. I felt like I had done a lot, I had done everything I could, and when they told me they weren’t going to give me another opportunity, that was pretty tough to deal with.

“Not that I used the three years to recover from it, but it really took me a while to refocus my emotions back from football. It was a very difficult thing to deal with at the time. But I came out of it OK, I guess,” he said with a chuckle.

Coleman began his post-football career path, first with UL, then Rice for a year and a half, then Cal. But he kept in touch with Coach Dunbar, who texted him to “Keep on fighting for it, find a way in.

“It was not a big speech, nothing overly motivational,” Coleman said, “but it was just something that was enough for me to keep on fighting for this goal I had for this coming season.”

Dunbar, of course, moved on in his career path, from the Vikes to the Jets before last season. Fast-forward to this offseason. The Jets brought 61 players to their rookie minicamp: their seven draft picks, 29 undrafted free agents, 25 first-year players. The odds are prohibitively against any tryout player making any NFL roster.

But Coleman showed head coach Rex Ryan, coordinator Dennis Thurman and Dunbar that he could stay play the game. And after the release of signed undrafted FA Roosevelt Holliday, Coleman found his way in.

“It was such a huge victory, so to speak, for me, my family, my loved ones, my support system,” he said. That support system is large and includes his mom and dad, Ané and Larry, his girlfriend Alyssa, and strength coaches Rob Phillips (Tulane), Rusty Whitt (Louisiana), Jared Kaaiohelo (Rice), his coaches at Cal and coaches Chris DiSanto and Derek Keyes with the Cleveland Browns.

And he’s got a bunch of friends and well-wishers from down home and around the country who are now with him on his dream ride.

“Some of my friends are like, ‘Your goal is to go out there and be a Hall of Famer.’ Ultimately, yeah, you want to be the absolute best you can be,” he agreed. “But right now my goal is to be in the best shape I can be coming into training camp. My goal now is to go have a good lunch, go have a good meeting with Coach Dunbar, then come back and have another great day on Friday.”

Lanier Coleman may have taken some time to fight his way off that writer’s block he had, but now he’s begun writing one of those fine NFL stories, and there’s no last page in sight.

Tags: , , , ,

47 Responses to “Dream Delayed, Now Lanier Coleman’s ‘Back In It’”

1. By Ed Liss on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Nice story — hope he does well. As a 39-yr season jet ticket holder I am only interested in one thing: “Do your *talking* on the field — where it counts.”

2. By kw65fan on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Oh just great. Goodson arrested for drugs and having a firearm. Lost a QB and now lose a RB. I guess McKnight feels a little more safe. Kick him (Goodson) off the team, don’t need any loser just like we got rid of those other guys week or so ago. Losing players because of their stupidity.

3. By IRA on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Coleman sounds like a potential feel good story for sure. Hope the kid makes it and will do the right things not like some other players who get the money and blow their career like Goodson and others have done in the past.

4. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Kareening from Karan on May 17, 2013 | Reply

I’m glad there’s no rave from Rex in this article because this is exactly the kind of guy that he can’t stop talking about all summer and then cuts in September.

5. By kk on May 17, 2013 | Reply

Great story and hope this young man realizes his dream. Good luck kid!

6. By diver69 on May 18, 2013 | Reply

Great story, Randy. The human interest element, combined with the football side, makes for a fine piece of journalism. Nice work!

7. By IRA on May 18, 2013 | Reply

McKnight has to step up now big time. There is no reason why he can’t make a difference and be a big play guy if he puts in the work to correct the issues he has had that have kept him on the sidelines except for Special teams for the most part. MM’s system is perfect for him and he could thrive in it.
    GO JOE!!!!

8. By Charliejet on May 18, 2013 | Reply

Idzik’s mantra has been competition and that is exactly what he is creating for this team. Not the stagnant, backwater, no competition environment that has hurt this team the last couple of years. “that which does not kill you will make you stronger”
    The competition alone will make this team that much better.

9. By kw65fan on May 18, 2013 | Reply

Hey Tom64…check out ESPN Jet part with interview with your future owner Curtis Martin who I respect and is/was one of my fav jet. Had great things to say about Rex and hopes he goes back to his old ways to get the team motivated. He (Martin) wished he could even play for him because of the respect he has for all of his players. Complete opposite from what you say and maybe should respect what a class act Martin is and knows a bit about football than all of us.

10. By IRA on May 19, 2013 | Reply

Wonder if it pays to sign A Bradshaw to be added in to the RB mix. While I didn’t want him in March as the 1 if healthy I think he might be able to help with 6-8 touches a game and more important bring some veteran leadership to the team which is crying for that right now. He could be perfect what do you guys think?

As for Sanchez nothing against him I am still not sold that he will be on the roster come Sept even with Garrard leaving. They wanted Hoyer and the Browns signed him before the Jets had a chance. So they are looking for another veteran QB and that doesn’t bode well for Sanchez or even McElroy. I wouldn’t be shocked if Simms ends up the #3 this year.

11. By Dan on May 19, 2013 | Reply

Great story.Thanks for the introduction Randy. One thing you know about a guy like this is that he’s gonna give it his all. And that is all we can ask as fans.

Good luck kid. You sound like a class act. A lot of us will be rooting for you to achieve your dream.

12. By scjoe on May 19, 2013 | Reply

64, when your finished reading that Curtis Martin piece check out Cimini’s story about John Idzik, I think you will find the first few paragraphs quite interesting. Then again, what does Cimini know? (today) Let me know when you start leaning toward my “solid” analogy, as opposed to your “extraordinary” analogy of our new GM.

13. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom Waiting for QB Change on May 19, 2013 | Reply

You expect Martin to slam Rex publicly, kw65? You expect him to do that as a preamble to buying the Jets or any other NFL team? Maybe that’s the way LT thnks he can buy a team, but not Martin. I think you need to learn a little about how the corporate world works. I talked about this a lot last wk with my posts about how “The executioner’s face is always well hidden” in corporate life. (Of course, MJV slammed me for asking him to think even slightly outside of the strictly-football box.) Even Cimini today notes the contrast between Idzik’s quiet public persona and his remaking of the team, pointing out how three of the guys who originally hired Rex are gone under Idzik. And Rex is likely to be gone before Martin’s an NFL owner too.

14. By Frank on May 19, 2013 | Reply

Why is Goodson still on this team???????? You dumped 2 nobodies already for much less. This is Tannebaum 2 thats what it is. Not going to cut one of your guys Idzik? Get rid of him now or you have zero credibility with rebuilding this team!
    Way to go Idzik do you do any homework on these guys? Then again you drafted potential headaches in Richardson and Smith. Again I say Idzik let good quality young guys walk and signed a bunch of questionable players and a mash unit. A team that is begging for a new start and the nonsense continues.

15. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on May 19, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, if we’re down to a semantic argument over “solid” vs “extraordinary,” that distinction isn’t worth space on the site. I’m just happy to see Idzik isn’t hesitating to get things done in a big way, as that Cimini article you cite proves with respect to losing 3 of the 4 guys who hired Rex. Ira, I’d rather give those 6-8 touches to any young RB rather than Bradshaw since I have no illusions about us winning anything this yr, much less Bradshaw being the key to winning it. But I agree with you about what Idzik’s interest in Hoyer signals. Seems like he’s not gonna rush Smith into starting but he’s also not looking to allow Sanchez to be the distraction that keeps Smith on the bench, so I think it’s likely we’ll pick up another vet QB.

16. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 19, 2013 | Reply

Lanier Coleman’s story was well put. I wish him luck.

kw65fan you should read the whole story. Goodson was a passenger where the guns and drugs were hidden. Goodson was also given a drug test and his blood count was negative of any drugs. His lawyer stated that Goodson had “NO” knowledge of what his friend had in the vehicle. Benefit of the doubt goes to Goodson.

17. By scjoe on May 20, 2013 | Reply

64, I think “Idzik” will be long gone as well “before” Curtis Martin becomes owner of this team or ANY other NFL team for that matter. Don’t get all excited yet, that is just to say that C. Mart is “only” a millionaire, billionaires buy sports franchises, not millionaires. I will have to wait a few days until I return from Hilton Head to see how that little trinket went over. Ron, if your out there, keep 64 in line till I get back.

18. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on May 20, 2013 | Reply

Maysonnet to Jets if the Eagles cut him as expected? Possibly a headline-making move to satisfy those who understand headlines and not much else. I’d like to know why the Jets didn’t make a move to get him earlier in the first place — for example, by drafting him instead of Bohannon — before getting too excited about this possibility. Still, the Jets shouldn’t have trouble picking up another RB if necessary. Some might remember me criticizing Mr T/Rex for cutting UCLA’s Kahlil Bell after he fumbled the first time he carried the ball for us. No one likes fumbles but Bell’s stas in the pros were about as good as Goodson’s, and he’s a lot younger than Bradshaw.

19. By kw65fan on May 20, 2013 | Reply

Figured you would go that route Tom. Guess you didn’t listen to it to closely. He sounded quite sincere with his thoughts about Rex. But you being a Rex hater, you only listen to what you want to hear. And by the way…been in the corporate world for over 20years a s a CFO…so I know what goes on with all the good things and especially the back-stabbing.

Regardless Frank on how the press spins it who says the pot was in his possession…but not the gun…he should be gone. Drunk in the middle of RT 80 in Jersey in the middle median…lucky they didn’t get killed.

20. By SCfromNY on May 20, 2013 | Reply

First I love when a “feel good” story comes true. I have said in the past that out of the 1000’s of college players there must be hidden gems that were never noticed for one reason or another. Most recently Arien Foster. It must be about time for the jets to have some good luck.

As others have said finding a RB should not be difficult. Watching Giant games I can tell you when healthy Bradshaw is a great back. Power, ability to catch, YAC, and able to go outside or up the middle.

I want the QB to stay the way it is. I don’t expect Simms to be around. Give an equal shot to the other 3 and I think McElroy can make the Jets a winning team. At least not laughable.

21. By IRA on May 20, 2013 | Reply

Tom,
    Maysonet would be a interesting guy to look at for sure. Cimini as been writing about him for awhile. Wonder if he could be the next Woodhead or more or just a college player that can’t take t to the next level. I would take a look if the reports true.

22. By MIKE on May 20, 2013 | Reply

I am seriously giving this team one more shot. There have been so many glimmer of hope in the last 15 years. When Parcells was brought in, it was a good couple years. Herm had this team playing decent but never good enough. Mangini looked promising for one season before that turned around. With Rex there was success but now failure.

With Idzik running things it feels like the team is once again headed in the right direction. Cutting all those high priced under achieving players was necessary. The draft felt like they took the best players available than built there depth. Goodson was the one FA player I was excited about. Now this.

23. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on May 20, 2013 | Reply

Obviously Martin doesn’t have the money to buy a team himself, scjoe, but he’s got a good shot of being a prominent part of an investor group that does. And he strikes me as the kind of guy who’d put a lot of sweat and imagination in the service of that idea.

24. By wayne on May 20, 2013 | Reply

When was the FIRST time anyone EVER heard Curtis Martin bad mouth ANYONE. Not in his character. So if he says anything good about anyone it is to be expected….EVERYTIME. There isn’t a HC that CM couldn’t play for……Rex can stay the way he is at his own risk…..Loose cannon at the DC position,the damage can be contained….@ the HC spot, unacceptible….85′ vs Ryan’s Eagles….I know when there’s so much losing, some of us will take anything, even a few verbal wins in the papers….THAT IS NOT ENOUGH….Just like with GQ, wasn’t happy how he went bout his busin., but wanted him to succeed….Think Rex’s good man, totally in disagreement with his means. Haven’t seen it win and don’t see him changing that.

25. By wayne on May 20, 2013 | Reply

Face it boys these boys are “The Replacements”. It doesn’t matter if it’s Bradshaw, Mayo, or Salvatorie Stallonie. Just another body. You probably don’t believe me when I say, “this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you”, but they need to lose the bleep out of the season. Finish the house cleaning and get a couple of studs, foundational players then truly get this party started right…..As long as guys like Holmes are still on your roster, you’re not done cleaning out…..No matter what he says, I don’t believe. He knows Jets are the only team willing to give him serious $$$$. Problem for him is that was the T-Bomb Jets. THERE’S A NEW SHERRIFF IN TOWN….That he missed on a couple of miscellaneous players is irrelevant.

26. By wayne on May 20, 2013 | Reply

Why is the world always in such a hurry? What does it matter if Goodson goes today or a month from now? The prudent thing to do is to let the legal process take it course……YOU THAT LITTLE THING WHERE YOU’RE INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY? Or somethiing like that. Until the new GM starts giving away money like invites to the jiggle joint down the way, it’s fundamental Jetaholic fanaticism to make that comparison………….I’ve had to say it far too many times on this site…………………SLOW YOU ROLL BOYS……….Maybe he hopped into the wrong car by mistake….No? Maybe he borrowed the car. No? Then maybe it’s not the Jet’s Goodson?

27. By Jet Fan Since '64 Tom With His Eyes on the Prize on May 20, 2013 | Reply

I’m sure you’re really setting the corporate world on fire, kw65, if you judge people’s sincerity by how they “sound.” I guess you never heard that old joke — thnk it’s Jack Paar, since it dates back about 60 years — about “Sincerity — once you can fake that, you’ve got it made!” wayne, don’t you know that we have a bunch of people on this site whose only way of proving they exist is to predict the sky is falling no matter what? It’s getting really boring to read and frankly if these clowns come at me personally again and Randy keeps censoring my comebacks, I think I’m bailing on this site. I don’t mind being called names but being expected to enable other people’s emotional handicaps at the same time takes the fun out of everything.

28. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 20, 2013 | Reply

kw65fan, I fee differently and will give GOODSON the benefit of the doubt. One thing to consider is will there be a trial, it is for sure it will not be for drugs that was already stated by the DA… As for the gun, did not belong to Goodson that was in a statement by the driver of the car. As for being drunk. AHHHH!!! to be young again and get drunk (lol)…

29. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 20, 2013 | Reply

64 TOM, I do not usually stick my nose into things, but I do agree with your last post. When I came home from “NAM” I was called many names, I am not going to go into it. But I will say this!!! To constantly be put down creates anger and anger makes someone say the wrong thing. These post are for discussing in a mature manner (or is it). SCJOE takes a lot of flack on here and so do you. But one thing is for sure, we all are JET FANS and want the best for the “JETS”. I expect a winner this year, not a losing team and I just do not understand how any fan does not want the same. Already “GOODSON” was tried, convicted and tossed by some posters. WHY??? I feel he should be convicted before he is tossed. I am not a big fan of RR as a HC

30. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 20, 2013 | Reply

But as a DC, he is one of the best. I said this before IDZIK is running the show and MR. M. will run the offense leaving RR to run the defense and he will call the shots over his DC. We got some good players, but few will admit to that. WHY? with the exception of a few they do not look at the statistics from HS to College. I guess I said enough. LETS GO JETS….

31. By carolina jet fan on May 20, 2013 | Reply

JF Tom, don’t bail bro– there has been a good deal of suffering this past season among us Jet fans; multiple turnover games (I espesially relish that last INT vs. the Pats in OT) ;our HC displaying body language on the sidelines that is indicative of someone in a state of confusion, angrey at what appears to be a siuation of which he has minimal control and the feeling of embarasment. I will suggest that on the Pat website you will not find this degree of diviceness among fans. I belive we came close to hitting bottom (it could have been worse) and the ship is in the process of being righted. One last comment, about giving someone a 2nd chance– thats what 2012 was for Rex after losing the team in 2011-there are none left.

32. By Fran'scan on May 20, 2013 | Reply

Sad story about Goodson which happens to too many athletes hanging around the wrong crowd however, this country was founded on the concept of innocent until proven guilty folks. That’s why we elect a president here and not hail an incestual king. All the buffoons on the radio & media demanding he be cut are just trolling for a reaction. I applaud the Jets & Idzik for their professionalism here and waiting for the verdict to make a decision. Very poor judgment on Goodson’s part but reserving judgment would be wise here as no one here knows all the facts of that night. If he is guilty, there will be plenty of time to cut him.

33. By since shea on May 20, 2013 | Reply

Goodson was not a feature back with Oak. Why do we think that he would have been ours? Where are our standards? Where there is smoke there is fire. Goodson must go. He was a questionable pick up for a three year deal anyway. Speaking of questionable pick ups, I felt that the signing of a QB who hadn’t played in two years was suspect. I am also struggling with the re-signing of Calvin Pace. Thats three for Idzik that are real head scratchers. I am not saying that Richardson isnt a good DL pick up but we had Coples. Now we want QC to reinvent himself as an OLB. We could have used RB Eddie Lacey or a TE more than Richardson. We shall see but I am not impressed at the decision making at this point.

34. By wayne on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Disconnect 64, disconnect……As for the Goodson story, now we hear that he was a passenger in the vehicle…..Who we associate with does reflect to some degree who we are, but that’s not what in question in this case. The gun and drugs may not belong to him and the Jets may choose to cut bait. Something I would tend to agree with, simply because I think these guys need to know that Jets are going to do things differently…..BETTER than they’ve done recently…..But I, personally, would be more impressed that they would show thought and deliberation in the process……….NO KNEE JERKING ALLOWED.

35. By Brandon on May 21, 2013 | Reply

I’ve known this kid since the day he was born and from that day he hasn’t just been a good kid he’s been great. If there’s anyone better that should have this opportunity it is he for his hard work his drive a love for the game. To all the Jet fans I can’t tell u that you guys or going to the playoffs his season but I can reasure u that you have your gem your stud you’ve been looking for the comments I’ve read on your post won’t be the same. It’s funny to say this and just cause he’s fam but I thank he’s just what the team needs he will being something to you all you’ll see…congrats Lenny you deserve it

36. By RONBO on May 21, 2013 | Reply

BRANDON, who are you talking about? I have no idea who Lenny is?64 and S.C.Joe, interesting how we cut the 2 knucklehead rookies for doing pretty much what Goodson just did,yet he is still a Jet? I’m reading posts here defending him but is it because he can help us? Personally, I dont care how the legality’s work out in this instance as in my mind he is certianly guilty of being foolish for hanging out with the wrong people.He is certianly guilty of poor judgement for Risking a great opportunity to finally prove himself and earning a great deal of money in the process.And he is lastly guilty for betraying the trust of people who gave him that opportunity. I’m not sure this is the type of player we want on our team.

37. By JetBlu on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Wayne’s right, we all want to see the Jets succeed. What we disagree on is how to turn this franchise around. Some want the quick fix, others are ok with how things are, and then there are some who have had enough of both and want to pull the weeds out by the roots and plant some new seeds – that’s where I am. Randy: The hackers who have nothing better to do than to berate people with insightful and clever postings are the ones that need to be sensored. If not, as long as there are no profanities, LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE (with words) – DING!

38. By GaryC on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Family lament on a family criminal,HE HANGS AROUND WITH A BAD CROWD,the bad crowd’s family says the same about the previous family saying,HE HANGS AROUND WITH A BAD CROWD.As Robert Loggia said to Al Pacino in Scarface,IT IS ALWAYS THE OTHER GUY.

39. By russ on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Buy the ticket, sit in the seat, and watch the game…or sit on couch,hold the remote and pretend you care…choice is always yours…

40. By Mike Jet Vet on May 21, 2013 | Reply

OK here;’s the skinny for all you Goodsons Apologists, not to mention Giving Idzik a pass and making excuses for him not thoroughly checking out the health,and Character of FA’s Let me remind you that’s his Job GM 101 Period, 1st off Goodson didn’t even get to Camp yet, and he’s in trouble, What does that tell you. I’ll Ask Revis, HELLO Law 101 If I’m hanging out with a Bank robber or murderer and he gets caught with him when it’s committed I’m guilty by association as is anyone it’s the Law LOOK IT UP, Ever hear the old adage you can tell about a person by the people they hang out with. Give me a break already, Holy lord I can’t believe some of what I read here, is there no common sense left on this planet

41. By Brandon on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Lenny is the new signed rookie dt lanier colemen I wasn’t talking about those others guys there’s no excuse for the wrong doings

42. By RONBO on May 22, 2013 | Reply

BRANDON, thank you for clearing up the Lenny mystery. I will pull for him to do well as you speak so highly of him. Its nice to root for guys like that in comparison to knuckleheads who show disrespect to the organization and its fans who give them the opportunity of a life time.MJV, see thats what I like about you, dont hold back,tell it like it is!JET FAN FRANK, I’m still your buddy, but we cant look the other way when guys screw up! The kind of guys who dont know right from wrong are the same low charachter guys who fold up when things get tough.That is not the kind of person I would want to share a fox hole with.I luv ya bro but please,no more rationalizing because a guy may be able to help us.Again, we need to aim higher, raise the bar

43. By SQUIRREL on May 22, 2013 | Reply

on the goodson issue, first we don’t; know what his role was going to be. 2. it seems like may be wrong place wrong time situation so lets not nail him to the cross just yet. in that note I don’t see idzik being this mushy overly attached guy afraid to make a decision once he has all the facts (unlike someone else = RR). if it appears he was at fault I don’t see idzik having any difficulty sending him packing. as for this season as a whole, the theme is going to be competition. I think its going to be a huge 16 game tryout for both coaches and players and even for strategy systems etc. and IM fine with that. Let’s find our identity then we can start filling in the holes.

44. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 22, 2013 | Reply

BRANDON, I hope Lenny makes the team, your post about Lenny was great. I go along with RONBO on his feelings towards Lenny. Be great if you can cheer for family down on the field. LETS GO JETS….

45. By RONBO on May 23, 2013 | Reply

SQUIRREL, Sorry bro but I dont care what his role was, Goodson made a bad decision when he got in that car unless he was forced in at gun point.We cant choose our relatives but we can certianly choose our friends. I know with 100% certianty when I get into a car with my friends that none of them has any drugs or illegal weapons. This is not about one individual.This about establishing a consistent enviornment where players know the rules and act accordingly. Arent you tired of being looked at as the class clowns? I have to admit the least favorite part of my job is letting someone go(yeah,fireing) but I also know if I dont I will be sending the wrong message to the other employees. Sorry bro,Goody’s gotta go!

46. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 23, 2013 | Reply

RONBO, at first I was giving Goodson the benefit of the doubt, but the more I read on it and read some of the posts in here, I am agreeing with all. GOODSON should go, and probably will go. It is to bad he put himself in the position he is in. We do not need any more circuses with the JETS…

47. By Justin on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

I grew up with Lanier. He is a great guy and one of the most sincere people you will ever meet. Really happy for him