Tennessee’s Simms, Rogers Reconnect in North Jersey

Posted by Randy Lange on May 21, 2013 – 9:38 am

The Jets have several job openings on offense. One is for youthful competition at quarterback. And they may well have a spot for a young, up-and-coming wide receiver.

Any Volunteers? Why, yes we do. Two, in fact.

“It’s a small football world,” said Matt Simms.

Simms is the first-year QB with North Jersey roots who spent his last two college seasons with the University of Tennessee, then worked his way onto the Jets roster last offseason. Now he’s back for a second go-round in green and, like all the QBs on this roster, learning a new offense in coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s West Coast scheme.

And one of the wideouts he’s playing pitch and catch with these days is Zach Rogers, the 6’0″, 177-pounder out of Nashville who was viewed by more than a few draftniks as one of the top undrafted wideouts available following the end of Round 7 last month.

“Coach Ryan and Mr. Idzik were very passionate about me coming here,” Rogers told me in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center locker room recently. “They preached open competition and that’s really all I want. I wanted a shot to make a name for myself and try to make an impact on this team.”

And where did Rogers play his college ball? Tennessee, of course. In fact, he and Simms teamed up on several occasions in the 2010 and ’11 seasons, most notably on a 72-yard touchdown catch-and-run early in the Vols’ 32-29 OT win over Alabama-Birmingham in 2010.

“It’s good to be back teammates with Matt again. He’s a good guy,” Rogers said. “He’s very intelligent. I learned a lot from him. And he’s still got a cannon.”

Simms returns the compliments.

“Zach’s definitely a fast guy, he plays fast, and he’s a really smart guy,” he said. “There’s not too much on the field that he’s not aware of.”

The two didn’t have a lot of connections on the field, only 13 catches in those two seasons (but for 212 yards, a 16.3 average per catch). That’s because Rogers didn’t play a lot in ’10, both were limited in ’11, and last year Simms was gone. Before he departed for the pros, he recalled a business course the two had together. After one class, the two got to talking and Rogers said he was taking his education very seriously because he didn’t think the NFL would be in his future.

“You have the talent,” Simms told him then. “You never know what’s going to happen. It’s a long season.”

Last season at Tennessee, Rogers, despite divvying up passes from Tyler Bray with a pair of top draft picks-to-be — Cordarrelle Patterson went 29th to the Vikings, Justin Hunter 34th to the Titans — Rogers finished with 32 catches for 491 yards (15.3 avg.) and seven TDs, which attracted the attention of the aforementioned Rex Ryan and John Idzik.

“The Rogers kid, we expected him to look good, and he was a tremendous player at Tennessee, albeit he never started because of the other two guys,” Ryan said. “But he was very productive there and he really did a nice job of running routes and catching the football.”

“I was always hoping to get drafted,” Rogers said, “but at the same time this was the hand I was dealt so I’m trying to make the most of it. I was blessed to play with those big-time receivers, though. I learned a lot from them.”

“Remember that story you were trying to tell me?” Simms told Rogers when they were reunited in North Jersey. “It proved to be wrong. It just goes to show that a year or two can really make the difference.”

Now for the disclaimer. Rogers has a long road ahead to get onto the Jets’ regular-season roster, being that he’s one of 13 wideouts, with five of them veterans. And Simms, even though he’s now in a four-man QB competition after David Garrard apparently withdrew due to his ongoing knee issues, knows the field is still crowded.

“But right now I’m just going to take it day by day, improve on one thing at a time, and just go from there, really,” he said. “I’m going to keep my head in the playbook and just keep working.”

Same thing for Rogers, a volunteer no more, who worked a lot out of the slot during the rookie minicamp.

“I’m trying to learn as much as I can. Coach [Sanjay] Lal is teaching me little technique things that maybe I didn’t think about in college,” he said. “I think it’s going pretty well. I’m just trying to learn the offense the best I can and work with my new teammates. It’s a great opportunity for me and really I’m just trying to make the most of it.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

52 Responses to “Tennessee’s Simms, Rogers Reconnect in North Jersey”

1. By IRA on May 21, 2013 | Reply

I always like to root for players like Rodgers. I believe he has a real shot to make the team. One guy nobody but Rex talks about is Gates. Now that he is healthy and if he can stay healthy i think he will grab that #4 spot. He is the fastest player on the team.

2. By Allan O'Dane on May 21, 2013 | Reply

You know…for once I would like the NYJ to stay out of the news. This team (players) always seem to wind up in the media for all the wrong reasons. I know Goodson could very well be a good kid. But Come on man! you haven’t even taken your 1st snap in practice. These are some serious charges here..the hollow point bullet alone can land you 5 years. Idzik is in a tough spot here..do you give the kid a second chance? or do you risk this being another issue to cause a media circus? For once all I want to talk about is FOOTBALL!..

3. By Allan O'Dane on May 21, 2013 | Reply

On that same note..if you cut Goodson..I hope they give the kid from stonybrook a chance. Miguel Mayonset..

4. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 21, 2013 | Reply

RANDY, that was a great post. SIMS and ROGERS most certainly have abilities to compete and even make the team. Sims has a great back-ground through his dad who I am sure is also working with his SON and giving him a lot of pointers. As for ROGERS I see a hard working WR that wants to make the team. Like you stated; “Rogers has a long road ahead to get onto the Jets’ regular-season roster, being that he’s one of 13 wide-outs, with five of them veterans” It is good to see players with this kind of drive wanting to play for our “JETS” Good luck to both of them…. “LETS GO JETS”

5. By Christopher on May 21, 2013 | Reply

Unrelated, by why on Jets Shop do they have almost all the ex-players stuff on sale except for Revis….they pulled everything? What a way to disrespect the best player we drafted in a very long time.

Was hoping to pick up a discounted Revis jersey for my collection and cannot find it anywhere on here, but I can find Bart Scott, Tebow, and Keller. Shameful disrespect for one of the greatest players ever to wear a Jets jersey.

6. By RONBO on May 21, 2013 | Reply

ALLEN O, yahoo sports has an excellent piece today concerning the Goodson situation.You are spot on about the seriousness of the charges as Plaxico Burris will attest. The delimma here for Idzik is do I send a message by being consistent or do I look the other way? It’s not about giving him the benefit of the doubt as all that nonsense went out the window when Idzik cut the F/A’s last week for their actions off the field.The new rules were established! And they were only kid’s compared to Goodson who has been in the league for 3 or 4 years now. Goodson was given a great opportunity which he squandered when he chose to get in a car with a couple of knuckleheads. For that alone he needs to be held accountable as he represents the N.Y. Jets.

7. By RONBO on May 21, 2013 | Reply

IRA, Like you I like Rogers a lot. The problem is as the 5th or 6th W.R on the roster he will need to contribute on spec.teams.At 6-0 175 you have to be concerned about his ability to be physical enough to be much of a factor. As for Gates, this is
    likely a make or break season for him. With the Holmes injury situation it is very possible Gates will be given an opportunity to fill that posisition.He and Hill need to really step up their games or they will likely be ex-Jets if they dont.The problem then would be who would even give them a look as if they cant make the Jet roster, how bad are they?

8. By RONBO on May 21, 2013 | Reply

JET FAN FRANK, you had a great post on the prevous header. Well said! I wish I had your optimism as the way this roster looks at this point I cant see more than a 4-12 season.Maybe 5-11 or even 6-10 at best. There are simply too many holes at S, OLB, W.R. and especially at T.E where we have no starting caliber players. I hope I’m wrong but I think your gonna be very disappointed with how few (if any of the undrafted F/A’s make this team. If they finally give up on Schladerhoff the C from Clemson might stick (mabey on the practice squad)and mabey the S (Miles) has a shot as we are paper thin there too.But I just dont see any others unless we really stink?

9. By Chicago Bob on May 22, 2013 | Reply

I am tired of the circus atmosphere associated with this team. I did not have an issue with Idzik’s signing Goodson however I hope they let him go – obviously he doesn’t yet know what he wants to be when he grows up. Jets need to get the clowns off this team and not on it. Send a message to other potential free agents – don’t even bother having your agent speak with us if you intend to carry on like a jackass. The guy barely made it two months after signing before he gets into major trouble. You did the right thing cutting loose the other two, do the right thing and do the same with Goodson.

10. By wayne on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Joe Willie says Geno was a wasted pick. 9 out of 10 times I side with Joe, on this I totally disagree….First, you can never have anough good players at each position. But as it relates to the QB position on this team, MS has had it to himself for a while now, and the lack of competition has not served him well…..If having smith on the team causes him to play out of his skull and realize his talent, then the pick was worth it. If not, then his replacement has arrived.That is called a win-win……Hopefully………………Even a blind man can see Jets lack talent, but for far too long there has be a glearing void and the most important position. They ain’t goin nowhere till that’s fixed.

11. By IRA on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, They are not going to cut bait on Hill after one season. Am i a believer he can be a #2 WR? Not sure. I think his physical talents right now are way ahead of his playing WR talents. He has a lot of work to do.
    Gates can play ST with no problem and if they choose to move on from McKnight Gates can handle the KO returns with no problem.

12. By IRA on May 22, 2013 | Reply

wayne,
    I agree Joe was way off base with the Geno remarks. He clearly is the QB of the future if he can show something this year.

13. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on May 22, 2013 | Reply

OC Marty Mornhinweg says the quarterback competition between Geno Smith and Sanchez may be over before training camp. “absolutely,” Mornhinweg said when asked if a winner could be determined in OTAs. “Sure. Absolutely. That’s all part of the process. Everything we do is important. Our meetings are important, the way we go about our meetings, the way we go about our preparation right now with a new system. These are very important things. Every pass we throw out there in OTAs and these practices are important.” Mornhinweg noted that the longer the competition drags out, the less reps the possible starter gets with the first-team offense since they’d be equally splitting them until a winner is named. The Jets wrap up OTAs and minicamp 6/13.

14. By RONBO on May 22, 2013 | Reply

WAYNE, very well said bro.You nailed it ! They absoloutely had to do something as there had to be great concern regarding Garrards ability to stay healthy.Anybody who actually believes MacElroy is even a remote threat to challange for this posisition needs to attend one of JOE CAPPS reality seminars.The Jets had zero choice but to bring in a rookie draft pick. Now the question becomes;did they bring in the right draft choice? Only time will tell but if I were a betting man my money would be on Geno. Do I have concerns? Heck yeah!But from what I’m hearing and reading his onfield actions are heading in the righ direction. We as fans need to get behind him as like it or not,he is here now and does anyone really want Sanchez?

15. By Allan O'Dane on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo…the more I think about it..the more I believe that Idzik should release Goodson. He’s trying to change the culture around florham park. By getting rid of some of the headaches…the trouble makers…and the player who attracts the most media circus ever. He cut two players already on lesser offenses…so he must release Goodson…he must send a message to our own players…potential FA’s…rookies that this will not be tolerated. I’m all for second chances….but this team can’t afford it.

16. By Karan on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Do you guys think the Jets still will add a WR, TE and S to the roster? All veterans of course, they really need more depth at those 3 positions. Edwards not being re-signed thus far makes me believe he will not be a Jet next season, and thats pretty unfortunate. The guy plays great here. If the WR depth chart reads: Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, Zach Rogers for next season, that would be just fine with me

17. By Christopher on May 22, 2013 | Reply

wayne…did Joe Willy say that before or after Garrard retired? I think it makes a difference. At the time of the draft I thought it might have been a wasted pick, but looking at it now I’m glad they drafted Smith.

18. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on May 22, 2013 | Reply

I do not want the Jets to sign another QB the pickings out there are terrible. Simms is your practice squad guy. McErloy is your #3. Let Geno Smith & Mark Sanchez battle it out & may the best man win. Sanchez has been on the team 4 years, he has the big contract & he has been working with Jeff Garcia in Cali specifically on the west coast offense this off season. Garcia also played QB for the Eagles under Marty our OC so he can give Sanchez first hand knowledge of not only the west coast O but of Marty himself. Geno bascially just got his playbook & never played in a west coast O. So Sanchez should be light years ahead of him. Based off of all of that if Sanchez does not win the job it is all on him. If we sign anyone else why not get a

19. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Free Saftey, OLB, WR or TE. Dont waste a roster spot & more cap money on a washed up or never has been QB!

20. By RONBO on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Allen, not that you need me to tell you anything as you are clearly one of Randy’s sharpest guys. So I’m not surprised by your above comments.Glad we agree as I always like the way you think. IRA, I havn’t made up my mind on Hill yet but like most here was very disappointed by his performance last year.You tend to be very supportive with members of the organization including F/O and coaching staff.But I questioned the hireing of the reciever’s coach (Sanjay Lal)last year and so far nothings happaned to change my mind.I’m amazed he survived the coaching carousal ? SPICER, I agree 100%.If neither of these guys steps up we get out guy next year.Just say no to retreads!

21. By since shea on May 22, 2013 | Reply

I agree with Tom about not trying to sign another sub par QB to replace Garrard. MS and Geno are all the competition we will need this year. Use that money to get a TE or S or RB. Yes, RB. I, like Chi Bob and Ronbo and others, have already said Goodson must go. Although the post didnt clear Randy’s censure I guess. BUT, this decision by Idzik will be big. It will signal who he really is as a GM. Keep in mind, the other two cut loose after a pot bust were who? Key guys? No. Were they Idziks personal signings? No. Goodson is a personal choice of Idzik. Does he cut loose the first guy he chose? If he does, what does that say about the due diligence in personnel screening? It would say a lot in terms of no more circus nonsense.

22. By Randy Lange on May 22, 2013 | Reply

since shea, if you’re referring to your comment on Mike Goodson submitted Monday night, that was posted first thing Tuesday morning.

23. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 22, 2013 | Reply

RONBO, I appreciate the compliment. As for me being optimistic, YES! VERY MUCH SO… How does this sound a “JET VS GIANTS SB”, at MET-LIFE STADIUM, now that’s being optimistic. I can sure wish and hope for this. I feel we will do better then what you predict. You could be right, but I have to stick with my opinion and hope for the best, I feel our offense is well improved and Bohanan may end up filling a needed TE – HB slot. Just have to wait and see… LETS GO JETS….

24. By IRA on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    Sorry bro think Lal dropped that pass in Foxboro or is that on Hill? I saw Lal do some fine work with the WR’s in Cortland and worked them hard especially after practice and making them walk at least 2 football fields with concrete weights in each hand to help them make their hands stronger and enforce the thought of not dropping the football. You can lead the horse to water but you can’t make him drink it. How did he do with Kerley?
    Coaches can only do so much i was all over Cavanaugh the past two years. Early impression on Lee i think he will do a fine job and get more out of the QB’s.

25. By Allan O'Dane on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Well Ronbo you can me to the JOE CAPPS reality seminars..LOL…I have a soft spot for that kid from Alabama…G-Mac is a winner..that’s all he knows..he was a winner in H.S. and College. This is the kinda of offense that he could flourish in. But I know..and you know..and everybody else knows..his chances are slim to none. I had hopes for the kid. Idzik said the best QB will play.. I hope that holds true…(but not for Sanchez).. As long as he is on the roster he will be part of that circus that needs to be removed…along with Ryan….

26. By GaryC on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Allan O’Dane,you hit it on the head,why is Geno head and shoulders over McElroy,not by what they accomplished in college,and please stats are for losers,and now I am hearing Sanchez is more versed at the West Coast then Geno Smith,because he has been working with Jeff Garcia,the people who love Geno are saying don’t play him this year because jets have no talent around him,but they killed Sanchez who had the same no talent around him,To the Geno lovers,throw him in there if you have such confidence in him,like Seattle did with Wilson,let’s see if he is worth a second round pick.

27. By Chicago Bob on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Whether it be Geno Smith in round 2 or someone else, this organization needed to bring in someone with a realistic chance to take the QB job. When you look at what has been brought in over the years since Sanchez arrived, he really has had no competition whatsoever. What Namath says may be accurate, MS may turn into a decent QB however it was not going to happen until there was a legitimate candidate behind him ready to take over if the turnovers continue.

28. By RONBO on May 22, 2013 | Reply

ALLEN O, you know I said that tongue in cheek.No way i would ever associate you with the delusional crew. IRA, you are absoloutely right about the drop against NE and the other 7 or 8 others as well.But as you get to know me you will realize I am nothing if not consistent.As I continue to blame Rex for his lack of accountability for the offensive struggles(he’s the man in charge!) its Lal’s job to evaluate who’s ready & who’s not for playing time, in my mind(what left of it)it’s Lal’s fault for putting him out there as anyone could see he was simply not ready!Now some of the heat must go to Tannenbaum for not providing better options but he’s gone so its no fun to blame him.Geez this blog is fun!

29. By RONBO on May 22, 2013 | Reply

Jet Fan Frank, Like I always say, I love your optimsm, but a lot of the guys’s your counting on may not event make this team? All this love for guys like Bohannon (who at 4.9 runs a slower 40 than many o-linemen is optimistic to say the least.
    We keep talking about raising the bar, looking for better than mediocrity, so when you have players on your team who dont have the neccessary skills or talents to succeed against top competition how do you expect to produce a winning team? Hey, the fact you want a winning team does not make it so! We need to get better players than the opponents we will play.We gotta stop rooting for guys simply because they are on our roster.Looking at the past 2 seasons its obvious we need a better roster! Aim high

30. By Mike Jet Vet on May 23, 2013 | Reply

Off topic, Ronbo what has me scratching my head, if your looking for Hybrid TE/FB why Bohannan as you point out with only 4-9 speed, why not Penn state’s Mike Zordich, I saw him not once, but twice, run over line men LB’s DB’s on his way 200 yard games plus many over 100.. He is Big, strong, has the big man speed best of all he has the Breeding from his father and uncle before him .. I said early knowing he would fall in the draft he’s a gem at a steel. But what do I know

31. By RONBO on May 23, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, you know I share your questions when it comes to Geno, but I guess the reason he is percieved to be higher than Mac is a combimation of being picked in Rd 2 vs rd 7, more passing experience as W. Va. threw a lot more than Bama, and lastly he is far more athletic with a much stronger arm.Now does that make him better? We shall see. What intertests me more is will Mac speak up and fight for more reps? Or will he percieve the handwriteing is on the wall and roll over allowing himself to be steamrolled out of the picture?

32. By Allan O'Dane on May 23, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, you know I messin’ with you man….You and I have always shown a mutual respect for each others opinions and for the most part we hardly agree to disagree…I just feel that G-mac is going to get the short end of the stick. He won’t really get a fair shot…and that’s the sad part…

33. By RONBO on May 23, 2013 | Reply

KARAN, I certianly hope they add some talent at the posisitions you mentioned. I think it will depend on who becomes available and how much money they have available at that time. I doubt they will do anything until other teams make cuts as they would have likely grabbed someone by now if they were interested. The two safty’s we drafted last year and mabey JET FAN FRANKS undrafted rookie f/a need to show they are ready to step up or they will likely sign one of the available players still out there. I’m reading they are currently haveing problems at W.R in OTA’s as Holmes,Hill, and a few others are currently hurting so there may be a Braylon sighting soon?

34. By RONBO on May 23, 2013 | Reply

MJV, i agree 100% about Zodrich over Bohannon! One of the reasons they let Keller walk is he is really only about 6-1 1/2 and thats awfully short for a TE? I’m reading guys here have Bohannon penciled in as the starting TE-HB_FB? Hey, if he is as good as some here think thats great. I just dont get how guys here are getting jacked up about a slow-short guy who had modest success in college?
    ALLAN O, yeah, I agree. Mac will get little chance to show what he can do unless he gets in someone’s ear and lets them know how bad he wants it. Honestly, I’m not sure Mac has what it takes to play QB in todays NFL as like him or not JOE CAPPS was right about prospects needing the ability to make ALL the throws!

35. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on May 23, 2013 | Reply

Gary C, Your boy McElroy is 4th string behind Simms look it up. Also comparing McElroy to Smith is funny McElroy was a loaded basically college all star team. Geno was on a team with no D & no running game. There is NO comparision.

36. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on May 23, 2013 | Reply

Gary C, So I can understand this correctly. I am not saying that Sanchez was going to be this great QB but last year we gave him no shot to succeed with Kerley being his only good WR & no running game to speak of. So from what I understand since we ruined Sanchez forever now we should do the same to Geno Smith? Does that make any sense at all? We should play him with no weapons to speak of on O. Unless you want to draft another QB in a few years & you want to continue to LOSE that is a bad IDEA!

37. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 23, 2013 | Reply

MIKE ZORDICH should be given a shot he most certainly is big and strong and can run over people. However, he has to come to the JETS and request a tryout, it’s for sure the JETS have not made a move towards him. RONBO, the reason I( am some what a BOHANNON is his will to succeed. I agree he is only 4.9 runner, but he can block and is versatile at a HB position as well as a TE position. The other thing I like about this kid is his ability to catch the ball and take it away from defensive players, YES!!! He has to work on a few things. As for Rogers, great hands and speed he reminds me of a recent JET GREAT wide receiver GEORGE SAUER with his hands. Bohannon is not a WR but can sure fill slots….

38. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 23, 2013 | Reply

AS for ROGERS, how big was another great JET WIDE RECEIVER WAYNE CHREBET at 5’9″ and 190 pounds he was one of the JETS best all round receivers. Rogers is working with the weights to ad a little more weight. Wayne was not as fast as Rogers but he knew how to escape and score and I feel Rogers could possibly be another CHREBET… Just my opinion…

39. By GaryC on May 23, 2013 | Reply

Tom,yeah I know McElroy has been pushed down to four,what a joke,Simms could not keep a starting position at Tennessee,that is how Bray got a chance to play.Is Phil Simms hanging around the jets camp,only reason I could see Simms jumping ahead of McElroy,or is Rex still giving to him for mouthing off.

40. By GaryC on May 23, 2013 | Reply

Mr Spicer,You were so pro Sanchez at one point and now Geno is the new flavor of the month for you,I hope Geno for your sake does well,or you will be calling for the next Messiah.

41. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on May 24, 2013 | Reply

Gary C, Yes I was so pro Sanchez the Jets ruined him he is now shell shocked & shot with the beating he has taken. After Holems went down Tom Brady would not have done well with the guys Sanchez had around him last year. Yes I am pro Geno & I will be until he proves he cant play. You see I am a Jet fan I root for the Jets!

42. By IRA on May 24, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    The Jets were not very good last year but they also were not that bad too. IF Hill doesn’t drop that ball in Foxboro they come home at 4-3 and then they beat the Fish no way they would have lost and go into the bye at 5-3 and man oh man there is a lot different feel around the team then at 3-5. That one play in Foxboro turned the season in the wrong direction.

43. By RONBO on May 25, 2013 | Reply

IRA, we all know the old saying about if’s & buts, but the bottom line is Hill did not catch that pass and that play along with the “butt fumble” basically symbolizes our whole 2012 season! You know how much I enjoy your optimism and hope you always remain that way as that is what make you such a great Jet fan.I tend to be more skeptical and analytical as my patience has been worn thin. You and I want the same thing we just look at things differently.But I just want you to know I have tremendous respect for you and youd opinions so please dont ever think differently.

44. By RONBO on May 25, 2013 | Reply

SPICER &GARY C, you two crack me up! Are you sure your not actually brothers ? You sound just like me and my brother when we disagree.Which is about 90% of the time.GARY C, while I certianly understand your skepticism about Geno as i basically share it to a lesser extent, I’m just curious as to why you seem so down on him? I grant you he’s has a few minor questionable situations lately but its not like he got into a car with a couple of knuckleheads who had illegal guns and drugs?
    Obviously he has some growing up to do but how many 22 year olds dont? I’m anxious to see what he brings to the table. My concern is Spicer is right about the fact his groth being stunted by the obvious lack of talent at W.R & T.E ?

45. By GaryC on May 25, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,you are right,Geno has growing up to do,that said,many never grow up,you ever hear,what’s done is a precursor to future happenings,Him not being a first round pick will be the least of his problems,we will see how he reacts to the New York media,you and your brother sound like me and mine,with the Rangers and Islanders.If Geno works out,that is fine,I just didn’t think we needed a quarterback that high with our picks this year.As for people saying if Geno doesn’t work out,we will draft another one this year,then drafting him this year would have been a waste.

46. By IRA on May 25, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    Ditto and the same to all we all have great love for this team and all want the same.
    Call me old school or whatever but the background reports that have come out today about Goodson does not make me happy. I think he has some major issues and needs to learn some responsibility as a person and teammate. This will be very interesting to see what they do with him if he doesn’t go to jail for any length of time. Are they holding on to him because they hope he beats this and can play or they waiting for the legal system or the courts to cast their decisions on him so then they can get back some of the money they have already given him. I guess time will tell.
    I wouldn’t worry too much about the skill positions for this year.

47. By IRA on May 25, 2013 | Reply

My feeling is their plan is to run the ball 35 times or more per game. Rookie QB,new system and they want to cut down on turnovers. Expect a heavy dose of running the ball like they did in 09.
    GO JETS!!!!!

48. By SCfromNY on May 25, 2013 | Reply

I have never been a Sanchez fan. I don’t think working out with Garcia to get a leg up on the West Coast system will do much for him. No matter how much you understand it you need to be able to do it. Mark will choke, do his chuck and duck, and sulk when he fails. No matter how much knowledge he has if he can not translate it to the field and read defenses who cares?

OK those of us supporting McElroy are gettin less and less each day. I just want to see what he can do. He was a winner and as always said Brady was a 6th round pick. McElroys accuracy and anticipation reminds me of the qualities Montana had as a 3rd round. NOT comparing to Montana but check him out carefully.

49. By GaryC on May 27, 2013 | Reply

I am the Ferdie Pachecho to McElroy’s Muhammad Ali,I am still in his corner,he will rope a dope until Sanchez and Geno fall by the wayside.

50. By scjoe on May 27, 2013 | Reply

SCfromNY, I think that performance against the SD Chargers late last season comes in to play here. True, it was partially the fault of the O Line, but a lot of those sacks were on him. You would like to see him get a fair shot, I would like to see him get a fair shot, but I just don’t see it happening, not unless one of the dynamic duo goes down. If they want to establish who the #1 is by mid July, as MM states, I just don’t see McElroy getting the reps necessary to be a factor. Lets be honest, this team wants Smith to be the opening day starter, the QB “competition” is nothing less then a farce.

51. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 27, 2013 | Reply

In this post I will not be talking about football. I am going to as all to remember the fallen hero’s who served our country… “ALL GAVE SOME AND SOME GAVE ALL”…THIS IS TRUE OF ALL PAST AND PRESENT SOLDIERS…..

52. By RONBO on May 28, 2013 | Reply

JET FAN FRANK,Amen brother! God bless them all! And thank you! IRA, Wow! I guess you forgot Rex’s post season press conference where he basically declared “ground & pound” is dead! Even Rex the control freak who thought he could win by playing great defense and minimizeing offensive turn-overs acknowledged that stratagy simply wont work in todays NFL. As has been said here many times by many of us;this is a passing league. I believe S.C.Joe is correct as the Q.B competition is Geno’s to loose.As disappointing as it was to read last week I believe probably 90% of the returning vets have seen enough of M.S. so it makes sense for the team to move forward with a different Q.B.