• Mon., Sep. 15, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Sep. 16, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 17, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 6:00 PM - 6:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

Two-Minute Drill: First Quarter of the Schedule

Posted by Randy Lange on May 29, 2013 – 9:40 am

It’s never too soon to start prepping for the arrival of the 2013 schedule. In a  biweekly series on into July, I’ll post some blogs capturing some bullet points for each game on the slate, by quarters of the season. Today we review the First Quarter (a.k.a. Games 1-4):

Game 1 — vs. TAMPA BAY, MetLife Stadium, Sunday, Sept. 8, 1 p.m.

■ Jets will be going up vs. remade TB secondary featuring Darrelle Revis, their former Pro Bowl CB, S Dashon Goldson (from SF), and top draft pick CB Jonathan Banks.

■ Jets opened their season once before vs. Buccaneers — at home in the Meadowlands in ’91, 16-13 win secured with Pat Leahy 40-yd FG with 1:22 to play.

■ Jets are 9-1 overall and 6-0 at home all-time vs. TB. Six home wins are the most without a loss for the NYJ vs. any NFL opponent.

■ Green & White’s last home game vs. Bucs: 2005, when QB Vinny Testaverde “climbed off his couch” to start his first Jets game in two years, lead 14-12 win.

Game 2 — @ NEW ENGLAND, Gillette Stadium, Thursday, Sept. 12, 8:25 p.m.

■ Is this the best time to get the Patriots? NE is 8-5 in September since ’09, 1-3 in Game 2’s (and 0-2 vs. Jets) since ’09.

■ Patriots are 10-1 in home openers since ’02. But that one loss came last year, by 20-18 to Arizona — in Game 2.

■ Third time in franchise history Jets will play Game 2 on three days’ rest (1984, Thurs night loss to PIT; 1986, Thurs night loss to NE).

■ 10th time in last 15 seasons Jets will play NE in first two weeks of season, but first time in the first two weeks since 2010.

Game 3 — vs. BUFFALO, MetLife Stadium, Sunday, Sept. 22, 4:25 p.m.

■ Jets will want to welcome new BUF coach Doug Marrone, their OL coach from 2002-05, into the big leagues with a rousing home win over their longtime AFL rivals.

■ Jets lead this series at home, 27-25, after taking four of the last five, including last year’s season-opening 48-28 shootout at MetLife Stadium.

■ Which QB will Green & White face? They’ve never played vs. Kevin Kolb or first-round rookie EJ Manuel, faced Tarvaris Jackson in relief only once in ’06 win @ MIN.

■ C.J. Spiller had 56-yard TD run, 49-yd run in opener, 66-yd TD reception in finale vs. Jets. First Jets opponent with three 40-plus plays in a season since Chiefs WR Carlos Carson (2 games in ’88).

Game 4 — @ TENNESSEE, LP Field, Sunday, Sept. 29, 4:05 p.m.

■ RB Chris Johnson had unusual game vs. Jets last year: 10 yds in his first 7 carries, 18 yds in his last 13 carries, 94-yd TD burst on his 8th carry that helped TEN post 14-10 win.

■ Titans who’ll be familiar to Jets: RB Shonn Greene, four-year Jets back now backing up Johnson, plus DE Ropati Pitoitua, S Tracy Wilson, and ex-Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick.

■ Despite last year’s loss, Jets have fared well recently against AFC South, winning 9 of last 13 beginning with ’08 road win at TEN.

■ Jets have lost 16 of 22 on the road in this series, but have won 3 of last 5 on road since Titans moved to Tennessee, including ’98 at Vanderbilt, ’06 in season opener, ’08 when Titans were 10-0.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Two-Minute Drill: First Quarter of the Schedule”

1. By IRA on May 29, 2013 | Reply

I think getting out of the first month of the season at 2-2 is very reasonable. And even though i don’t like playing the Pats on 4 days rest but it sure looks like week 2 is the time to try and upset them.
    Spiller has taken over for Lee Evans who had the Jets number. I still can see that 94 yd run man that was a back breaker.
    Ronbo,
    Getting back to Goodson i am starting to get a feeling that this won’t go to court for at least 6 months or more and he will be able to get the 013 season in. Everybody is entitled to a 2nd chance but not with this type of stuff. As always it comes down to money. We will see how this plays out.

2. By wayne on May 29, 2013 | Reply

Revis gets the party started right with 2 picks, one being a pick six…….Obviously we know who is starting…….Defense should be pretty good so I expect a low scoring affair……Chalk up an L vs N.E…..If tears aren’t rolling yet, if they lose game three against the Bills, I’m guaranteeing tears………….Much as I am against Rex’s methods, I believe he’s a great defensive mind and would love to see how he’d do with Clowney…..with some permanent changes to his schtick…….Much about his return will depend on how Marty does with the anti offense. If there is signs point up with new QB and coaches Woody will be reluctant to break it up. Especially since he likes Rex so much….Let the losing begin!!!!!!

3. By wayne on May 29, 2013 | Reply

Can’t see a better than 1- 3 Q1……0-4 would be just fine with me. Please boys do yourselves of favor, stop with this ‘Jets should get this guy or that guy to better this part of the team’. It’s unrealistic to expect an already bad team to lose so many starters, some of them good players, not replace them with equal or better talent, and expect a better result from the previous year….I don’t want to have to tell you what that’s called…….Remember how you felt after ‘spikegame’ or after the ‘mudbowl’? That is how I will feel after every Jets victory this season. The Jets can do something special going forward if this season can be a tankeroo….Where’s Richie K. when you need him.

4. By Karan on May 29, 2013 | Reply

I thought about my statement RONBO, and I agree, the O-Line does have to the potential to be better. Forget sometimes there were 3 pro bowlers on that line. I still would love to have Brandon Moore back. Hope this line can protect the QB. And I believe it was IRA or Spicer who mentioned that Brent Celek should get an offer from the Jets if he is released by the Eagles, I couldn’t agree more. Hope it happens.

5. By Karan on May 29, 2013 | Reply

Eagles have more than enough bodies at the TE position. Zach Ertz will most likely be their starting TE, James Casey is a very underrated TE who is versatile and plays FB as well, and Clay Harbor adds more depth for them. We need all the TE help we can get, and Celek would be a great addition if released from Philly. Celek, Cumberland, Smith and Reuland wouldn’t be bad at all.

6. By RONBO on May 29, 2013 | Reply

Randy, Interesting topic concerning the 1st qt schedule. The problem at this point is I dont think anyone has much of a handle on where this team will be going into the season. If its anything like last years team that scored a total of one T.D the entire pre-season it could get ugly fast. I believe the keys to this season are mostly on the offensive side of the ball.How soon will Geno Smith be able to take over as the Q.B? How will the revamped O.L mesh and of course will anyone step up in the recieving corps? I will take a few things for granted like that the defense will likely be good,and that the running game will also be effective. If either of these facets fails to deliver it wont matter who we play early as we will not be very good

7. By IRA on May 29, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    Agree it’s really hard to get a handle until we see what they are all about this summer. I am telling you. This is Smith’s job to lose so they will be a run heavy team and lots of passes out of the backfield and short routes. The D will be good with Rex calling the shots. If ST’s improve from last year there is no reason why they can’t beat the Bucs and Bills or Titans. have to think as positive as possible but keep things realistic.
    GO JETS!!!!

8. By Mike Jet Vet on May 30, 2013 | Reply

Wanye, rooting for this team to lose, makes you a loser. if you can’t support this team go away, or go post on NE site. I’m sure you’ll fit right in

9. By RONBO on May 30, 2013 | Reply

IRA, sadly it looks like your assessment of the Goodson situation is likely correct.Personally,I was hopeing Idzik would bite the bullett and send the correct message by letting him go. I realize financially and talent wise thats a tough pill to swallow but again,i dont like the way this will be percieved by the players and around the league. At some point we have to begin to rid the circus clown image this team has worn the past several years. KARAN,good call on the Eagles depth at the T.E posisition. Actually,as much as many of us here liked Eartz in this draft dont count out harbor as he is very talented and obviously more experienced.Celek would immediatly leap to the head of the class for us so lets hope this actually happens.

10. By RONBO on May 30, 2013 | Reply

IRA, With MM running the O and Rex’s declaration that groung & pound is dead I dont see this as a 2008-2009 redaux. Marty’s history is to throw the ball and I’m thinking it will be no less that 50-50 in terms of percentage. That means 30-35 pass attempts per game so we can only hope Geno wins the job as i cant bare to think how bad we could be with Sanchez chuck’n & duck’n that many times a game.

11. By wayne on May 30, 2013 | Reply

MJV, that one hit me right in the heart. Doesn’t change the fact this team is not going to do anything this year…..What’s the benefit of another 6-10? They need the one,two, or three spot in the draft.Preferably the ONE. End of story……………The Patriots???? WOW….LOW BLOW. I accept that, and understand that you guys can’t see the forest through all the losing. They need to crash, and I’m not saying that to be mean, it will fuel the purging that needs to take on that team. Deadwood, rottenwood will then be removed and a PLAYER will be brought on board that can actually transform this…………………team. …WOW, THE PATRIOTS.

12. By IRA on May 30, 2013 | Reply

Well it lools like my boy Gates is in trouble. With Idzik signing one of his Hawks guys Obomanu he gets a leg up at the # 4 spot. Good size now he has to stay healthy.
    Ronbo,
    Trust me the circus atmosphere is not there. It is media driven because of all the stuff that has happened in the past. I am sick and tired about hearing about it. Just look at the laundry list of players from around the NFL on other teams that get into trouble and the so called circus label does not get tagged to those teams. Its enough stop buying into it. The Jets are a first class run team. End of story!

13. By GaryC on May 30, 2013 | Reply

JetFanTom wherever you may be,see your guy Newton lost 12 pounds,looks like he is going to run the ball more,so much for that great pocket passer you thought he was.

14. By scjoe on May 30, 2013 | Reply

Ira, come on man, discipline in the NFL is just like any other sport, it is based on ability rather then level of crime. The first two players Idzik cut didn’t get a 2nd chance, why do you think that is? So, why should Goodsen get one? Parcells theory was dead on, “all players are NOT created equal. In the NFL the punishment doesn’t always fit the crime, it usually goes hand and hand with your ability on the field. Can anyone say Lawrence Taylor?

15. By carolina jet fan on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Ira, I’m with you man, I’m sure all of us are tired and embarassed by this carney atmosphere. We may have rid ourselves of the fat lady and the devil baby but the ringmaster is still on board. Wayne— I get it as a jet fan that you want 1 of the 1st 3 picks so that we have a better shot of winning in 2014. I get it. that dos’ent imply that you root any less for this team. I, however, want this team to win every damn year. Belichek seldem gets a high draft pick and he’s competative every year. That’s the kind of team I hope the Jets will someday become. I have no illusions about how weak this 2013 team may play but I’m still hopeing, maybe Cumby can step up, maybe Richardson is the beast I think he is, maybe our QB will not lead the

16. By carolina jet fan on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

NFL in turnovers, maybe MM can manage 17 points per game and maybe we can qualify for a wildcard!!! Just getting a high draft pick does not necessarily tranlate to a winning program; I offer Mat Millian and the Lions as exhibit A besides. I want a team to feel proud about not just in 2014 but in 2013 as well. I’m sure you want this team to win and NO, don’t go to the dark side and root for the Pats.