• Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 15, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Cake, Candles, More HOF for Broadway Joe

Posted by Randy Lange on May 31, 2013 – 1:47 pm

It’s been a busy week for a Green & White icon. Joe Namath has been here and there this week, doing national TV and local radio interviews, jetting from Florida to New York City to Canton, Ohio.

And now we just wanted to take a minute to wish a Happy 70th Birthday, Broadway Joe.

It’s no secret among Jets fans of a certain age that May 31 is Namath’s birthday. Exactly 10 years ago I did a feature in a North Jersey newspaper celebrating Broadway Joe’s 60th birthday. No other media outlets were attuned to that milestone back then. Now it’s a different story as several Websites have dedicated time and words to wishing Joe all the best and musing aloud how it’s possible that this symbol of the Jets, the AFL, rebelliousness and energy and youth and achievement in America of the Sixties has turned 70 on us.

We’re told that many fans of No. 12, who forever proclaimed the Jets No. 1 at the end of their Super Bowl III triumph over the Colts on 1.12.69, are gathering on the Jets’ Facebook page and on Joe’s Facebook page to offer him birthday wishes.

One of those could be Rex Ryan, head coach of the Jets, a first-hand observer of the Jets and Namath back in ’68, and still an admirer.

“The thing I will mention about Joe Namath, not only with the Jets organization but the National Football League, is that he was huge for the popularity of our sport, with, obviously, the Super Bowl III victory — that was great,” Ryan said Thursday. “I’ve always respected and admired Joe Namath, as I’m sure every Jet fan has.”

Hopefully Namath has enough quality time to celebrate his birthday today, but it has been and will be a busy end of the week. As we mentioned, Joe was booked solid with media engagements Thursday, the order of the day being to talk up the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Namath, who appears almost every year at the Canton shrine for the annual enshrinement ceremonies, this year has been beating the drums for the “new” Hall of Fame, with the completion of its two-year, two-phase “Future 50″ expansion and renovation project. He made his way to Canton today to be on hand Saturday for the Hall’s special grand-opening ribbon-cutting ceremony.

The Hall of Fame invites fans of Namath’s and of the great game of football to share thoughts, photos and stories on social media by using the hashtag #NewHOF. Click here for more on Namath and the Hall of Fame ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Tags: , , ,

20 Responses to “Cake, Candles, More HOF for Broadway Joe”

1. By IRA on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Randy, Where has time gone? Seems like yesterday when my dad would take me to Shea and sit on the wood bleaches behind homeplate and watch Namath throw the ball all over the field. As a kid i was amazed how Namath could throw and yes watching him was like watching the Beatles. He was a great rock star putting on a show. Oh if he only had good knees how much greater he would’ve been.
    So i would like to send my best wishes to Joe on his 70th and wish him the best.
    Happy Birthday Joe, Thanks for being who you were and still are the greatest Jet!

2. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on May 31, 2013 | Reply

IRA, your right where has the time gone. I was at the SB of 1968 when Joe Willie and the JETS won the SB which was the final NFL/AFL SB. It’s like remembering the Heidi game. That last minute against Oakland. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE….

3. By GaryC on May 31, 2013 | Reply

To Joe,when superstars would sign your autograph book without looking for payback retribution.

4. By ELI RODRIGUEZ--. on May 31, 2013 | Reply

Happy B-DAY #12. He’s still has that green and white blood running deep. We all have that kind of uncle bigger than life–strange, funny with lots of story. Our favorite Uncle JOE.

5. By scjoe on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

Happy Birthday Joe Willie! In my book you are right there at the top with Willie Mays. 1,and 2. In any order you please.

6. By Mike Jet Vet on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

Happy. Birthday Willie Joe, wish we could go back in time, all the best , Hey whats up with that hair band Sanchez is sporting, Unreal he looks like a girl in that thing can we please end this Sanchez era PLEASE, between the hog dogs Butt fumbles, now this ridiculous hair net come on enough already, let him and us move on to bigger and better things

7. By GaryC on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

scjoe,where is Bobby Thomson.

8. By Karan on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

WR: Braylon Edwards, Laurent Robinson
    TE: Dante Rosario, Travis Beckum, Dallas Clark, David Thomas, Kevin Boss, Leonard Pope
    S: Gerald Sensabaugh, Quintin Mikell, Corey Lynch, Jordan Babineaux

Some of these veterans are still out there. Jets should really consider signing one at each position, doesn’t matter if its a 1 year contract or anything, fill the void.

9. By IRA on Jun 1, 2013 | Reply

Frank, So may memories good and bad. Was at both the preseason and 1974 regular season game vs the Giants at the Yale Bowl. That preseason game was like another SB beating the Giants was awesome. Being in college at watching Namath and Unitas light up the skies in Sept 1972, practices at Peekskill and Hofstra. I can go on and on. Only regrets I have was in 1963 I was 9 and my dad was taking me to a Titans Game which would have been my first live game at the Polo Grounds. I had a stupid fight with my sister and that morning and was punished and never got to live Titans game. Man if I could only get that back.
    Congrats to Mangini for getting a gig with SF. You can bet he will be a DC either with them or some other team next year.

10. By Jimmer on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

2014 will be better than 2013. 2013 will be better than 2012. Woody picked an honest as gold GM. Pick for quality, without hurting your team. For every good trade tanny made, there were 3 bad ones. We are stuck in a qb quadmire in 2013. The D will be greatly faster, which means alot to rex’s d. We need to trust in rex for us to even think playoffs this year. Our O may stink, but it will not be a turnover machine.Bringing in a real OC may even get us to 8-8!

11. By fred on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

This year marks my 48th yr. of being a Jets fan & I owe it all to Joe. I cherish the memories of sitting at Shea with my dad as as a little kid watching Joe play in my uncles seats on the 20 yd line. Funny Ira you mention the Beatles, my other childhood idols beacause all of them would be 70+ yrs old as well

12. By wayne on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

Hear Eric M. is getting another oppty. Good for him. Wanted him gone, but nothing against a brother working. Got lotsa Jets in successful front offices round league. What, they gotta go elsewhere(yes, even to Pats, wink wink) to win? Joe still puttin’ it to Rex. That is also a good thing. He must change or succumb. It seem some have issue with my hopes for season, so I ask, what is the difference betw 2-14 and 6-10? If I have to choose betw 2-14 and 6-10, you already know my answer. I assure you there are several teams tanking this year, but no, not the venerable Jets, stiff upper lip and all. Please with that, who are laughing at the Colts now? This is the year to really appreciate those cheerleaders.

13. By IRA on Jun 2, 2013 | Reply

Just reading a preview magazine and it makes me shake my head the Pats have won the AFC East 10 of the past 12 years. IF the Jets can’t grab it this year I wonder how most here feel. Would you rather see the Fish get it or the Pats? As much as it makes me sick to say I think I would rather see the Pats than the Fish.
    GO JETS!!!!

14. By IRA on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

fred, Funny you mentioned why you became a Jets fan. Yes Namath was my man and i liked Art Powell and the Titans too but when they moved to Shea Matt Snell got me hooked.

15. By scjoe on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

GaryC, although I acknowledge what Bobby Thompson did in game 155 in 1951, I just can’t put him up there with Joe Willie, or Willie Joe! Really don’t think there is anyone else I can.

16. By scjoe on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

Have to agree Ira, if the NYJ can’t win the division in 2013 (yea, right!) then I would go in this order, Buffalo, NE (11 out of the last 13) then the fish. Fish have to be #1 on MY hit list.

17. By Allan O'Dane on Jun 3, 2013 | Reply

IRA, It’s sad to say…but until the Brady/Belichek era is done..The AFC east is pretty much the Pats to own. I hate every team in our division.

But..hopefully…by 2014-2015 season. We will be locked and loaded with offensive and defensive talent…

18. By RONBO on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

IRA, I hate to admit it but I have always supported the Bills as they are N.Y’s only true team (thanks to Leon and Woody!)Actually, I have a few friends who were originally from Buffalo so as long as they weren’t playing us I rooted for them. But not when JimKelly(pray’n for him),Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith were kicking the crap out of us!
    Anyway like most here I hate the Dolphins the most followed closely by the Pat’s.( S.C.Joe, I never saw Jackie Robinson so like you Willie Mays was the greatest ever to me. I also loved Bob Gibson,Roberto Clemente and of course Mickey Mantle.Joe Willie will always be my football hero (I wore his #12,did the white spikes &even followed him to Bama(only lasted a year as Iwasnt good enough to play there

19. By Mike Jet Vet on Jun 4, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo I’m with you where Buffalo is concerned, I always liked the team, even though I Bleed Green and white, they were a blue collar honest to goodness football team, Bruce Smith, T- Thomas, Jim Kelly was a good egg, so lets all pray for him since he’s getting ready to go in for Cancer operation on his Jaw.

20. By RONBO on Jun 5, 2013 | Reply

MJV, my wife’s best friend grew up in Buffalo and she and i are also good friends I learned to gloat quietly when we beat them as she is a class act and acted accordingly when the Bills whipped up on us. My good friend Jim went to U.Buffalo so there was another reason to be cool about the Bills.Besides, their fans never acted like the Dolphin or Pat fans when going to Shea and later to the Meadowlands.My wife & I actually drove up to Buffalo for theit last 3 of the 4 superbowls they played in and we partied our butts off up there.It was amazing how united their fans were as there was only two pro teams in any sport in Buffalo.Almost every house had red-white & blue Bills flags or banners hanging.