Rex on Winslow, Tebow and TEs in General

Posted by Randy Lange on June 11, 2013 – 4:27 pm

The weather gods had not been Jets fans in the recent past, but today they lifted the rainclouds long enough for the Jets to take to the grass fields at the Atlantic Health Training Center in front of 1,111 season ticket holders.

Head coach Rex Ryan held his news conference before today’s practice start, and tight ends were on the minds of several questioners — the TEs they have on the roster, the one former standout tight end who was invited to participate in today’s practice, and the ex-Jet who may or may not end up at that position for the Patriots.

Rex was asked about the position and ticked off the players already on the roster.

“With Jeff Cumberland, obviously, he’s the starter right now. If we were going to have a game tomorrow, he would be our starter,” Ryan said. “He’s a big, fast guy that I think has improved over the years. His blocking, I think, has really improved. I’ll be excited to see how he progresses.

“Then you have Konrad [Reuland] and Hayden [Smith], guys with experience. Then you have ‘the BC Kid’ [Chris Pantale] and ‘The Coach,’ Mike] Shanahan, who are working their way out there. And we’ll see about Winslow. I’m excited about seeing Kellen.”

That’s the former standout. Kellen Winslow Jr., who caught 438 passes and 23 touchdowns combined in four years with Cleveland, three years with Tampa Bay, and one — game, that is — with New England. Winslow, former Jacksonville WR Mike Sims-Walker and DT Leger Douzable were all invited to this minicamp as unsigned veteran free agents.

“Obviously, Kellen was a tremendous player in this league for a long time, one of the premier receiving tight ends in the game, so we’ll see how he responds,” Ryan said. “Obviously it’s going to be recovery more than anything else, how healthy he is. Because clearly the skillset that he has, the young man was a tremendous player.”

Finally comes the ex-Jet who’s now maybe a Patriots tight end. Tim Tebow was signed by the Patriots and one of the rumored stories out of Boston was that Pats coach Bill Belichick is considering using Tebow not just at QB behind Tom Brady and Ryan Mallard but perhaps also as a TE.

Even though the Jets ended the TT experiment a month and a half ago with his release two days after the end of the draft, nine of the 24 questions asked of Ryan today (37.5% of the questions) were about Tebow.

But one more time Rex gave a Tebow eulogy.

“I’m happy for the young man to get another opportunity in the league,” he said. “We’ve already mentioned that it didn’t work out here. Obvoulsy, Tim had more success in Denver than he did here, so it is what it is.”

And wouldn’t it be interesting if Winslow, who played that one game for the Pats, then asked to be released and the Pats concurred, sticks with the Jets while Tebow does what he does with the Pats.

But Winslow, talking with Jets reporters after practice, said that’s still a little way down the road.

“Rex and I used to go at it when he was with the Ravens. He’s an awesome coach, man, one of the best defensive coaches in the league,” Winslow reminisced. “My job is just to make plays and however it works out, that’s how it works out. I’m a playmaker and my job is just to make plays. I’m just trying to make the team.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Rex on Winslow, Tebow and TEs in General”

1. By SCfromNY on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Hope it works out for Winslow. If healty and commited we would be set at TE.

Can someone put a moritorium om Tebow’s name. Yesterday in 30 minutes after posting ESPN had 4000 comments. Interesting to see how Belichik handles it.

2. By IRA on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

I really hope Winslow will be a keeper this season. He would help the offense so much. Biggest concern are his knees. Glad to see he came in and played right away with the first team.
    GO JETS!!!!!

3. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

I am starting to really like RR’s new approach with the media. I feel this statement by Rex was perfect!!! “All these questions are probably better served by being asked of New England and Belichick. I’m sure you’ll get the answer from him,” Ryan said. He also made some good comments on Cumberland, Konrad, Hayden Smith, Kellen Winslow, Mike Sims-Walker and DT Leger Douzable. Rex did not talk in circles. Good job REX, we may have something to look forward to after all this season.

4. By Mike Jet Vet on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Funny, situation being what it is pertaining to some of these players, so into themselves, never realizing what go’s up must come down, players like Ocho stink o look at me I can head butt my wife, packman Jones look at me I can get in trouble any time I want , even though Winslow hasn’t gotten himself into any serious trouble, he has basically ruined his career on cockiness alone,and now a once potentially star is now reduced to competing for a backup spot,

5. By RONBO on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

IRA, Anyone who saw video on SNY of Winslow running routes and catching passes in yesterdays practice should be able to see he is head & shoulders over anyone at that posisition currently on our roster. Now, can he stay healthy? Will he give maximum effort? Can he block anybody? These are the questions that will determine if he can help this team. The Simms-Walker kid has ability.You dont score 7 T.D’s and gain over 900 yds recieving if you cant play. What are the chances we can get luck for a change by signing two last minuite f/a’s that actually pan out? Ya never know. Nothing ventured-nothing gained!

6. By Tim on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

1. REX RYAN is saying that (JEFF CUMBERLAND) have IMPROVED??!! Are you KIDDING me! Take a look at the 2012 TAPE! Jeff Cumberland CONSISTENTLY (MISSED BLOCKS)! And Jeff Cumberland’s PASS catching was also VERY INCONSISTENT!

2. I sure hope the REX RYAN and the JETS are not REALLY thinking about making (JEFF CUMBERLAND) the Jets starting TE…otherwise JEFF CUMBERLAND will end up being ANOTHER (WAYNE HUNTER)!

7. By russ on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Hopefully the quick fix players are not going to make this team as there is no gain..when you rebuild a win just louses up you draft..but if you want to pretend ..go for it and continue down the old path..maybe just maybe teaching and pushing new talent is better..what say you?

8. By davetharave on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Belichick is a clam. Listening to his ‘news conference’ yesterday was hilarious. He doesn’t answer questions, he doesn’t provide information, everything is a 3-4 word response and he speaks to the press with such disdain and hostility, It’s amazing to me that the league office doesn’t reprimand him for not giving press time to the reporters because whatever it is he’s doing, is sure isn’t press time.

9. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet, Winslow if healthy is a upgrade to any TE we got. The guy had seasons with 89, 82, 77, 66 & 75 catches. Keller NEVER had a 66 or more catch season. Also Winslow did not have Brady throwing him the ball while he was playing with the Browns if you know what I mean. I have never heard of any off the field issue with this guy & he is 29 so its not like he is over the hill. Give the guy a chance before you rip him!

10. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

I go along with that TOM… As for Belichik, doesn’t matter if you like him or not, he is one of the most winning coaches in football and he finds away to win. He has always had disdain for the media. Do I like him, “NO”, but give credit where it is due, he does not give info out that he doesn’t want known, he has closed practices, so know one will know how he is going to use TT. But I feel he will use him against the JETS as a TE or HB. Talk about a slap in the face if TT scores a TD against us… There smiles will be from ear to ear….

11. By Mike Jet Vet on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

Tom. Section Row up in space , That was my point did you even read what I wrote, My point was he could have been potentially one of the top 10 TE’s in the league, if it wasn’t for his Chad Ohco cinco syndrome, my other point was , with all his talent he needs to compete for a back up spot on a bad team.When he should have been on his way by now, got it Tom

12. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

RONBO my friend I am with you all the way on WINSLOW. He could most certainly bring talent to a much needed position TE. He is the top of the line TE. I do not see any other TE beating him for the position. But I would like to see a 2 tight end scheme and I am hoping that a kid I like can do well and be that 2nd TE and you know who I like Bohanon. Now let me reiterate I am hoping he has the talent for that 2nd spot….

13. By scjoe on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Ron, have to agree “reluctantly” I might add, about Winslow being head and shoulders above the “other” TEs on the roster, although, that statement speaks volumes about those “other” TEs. To have a guy come in who hasn’t played in a while, “may” still be injured, and have some question his dedication, and having him shoot to the top of the list at his position is just downright scary. But hey, if it works run with it.

14. By Dr. Frank on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Was watching Winslow very carefully at Mini Camp yesterday. He looks slow. He couldn’t beat anyone on his patterns, in fact, I didn’t even see him catch any passes when in drills against the defense. I was more impressed with Reuland and Smith at TE yesterday. Yes, Winslow has the pedigree and more experience, but I didn’t see anything to impress me. Cumberland was equally ineffective in my book, as he dropped a pass or two. As for the QB’s, Sanchez and Smith were equally bad. I liked the way that McElroy threw the ball and made quick decisions on what to do. Simms fumbled a snap and only got one rep. The defense looked good and the offensive line seems to be improving. Ivory, Powell and Griffen looked great at RB.

15. By Dr. Frank on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

I think McKnight hurt himself, as he didn’t get much time at RB. Hilliard got almost all the FB reps I could see. Bohannon also was working with the TE’s and some FB. As for receiver, Kerley was by far the best one out there, but he did drop a couple of passes. Hill dropped more passes and I think he hurt his knee a little again diving to make a catch. I liked the way that Rodgers looked, as well as Simms-Walker and Hazelton. Didn’t see much of Obomanu, White or Spadola, etc. We shall see how things pan out. Cromartie was a stud at practice yesterday.

16. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Dr. Frank nice post, very informative. Thank you. So Mac looked better then the other QB’s in your eyes, glad to hear it. I liked Rogers right from the beginning I hope he works out and as RONBO knows, I also liked Bohannon.

17. By RONBO on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Jet Fan Fran, at only 6-0 1/2 inch and running only a 4.9 40 i hope your wrong about Bohannon linning up at T.E for us? If that happans we will be in trouble because with that speed he will have trouble beating a D.T. let alone a lb or D.B?
    Dr.Frank, what day did you watch practice? just curious as none of what you posted was on any of the blogs, sny or other media sources? But thanks for the update! S.C.Joe, yeah, the concern as I mentioned is can Winslow stay on the field.Rex pointed that out the other day as a lot of guys can still play, but the question is can they play on Sunday, every Sunday?

18. By SCfromNY on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Unfortunately for his fans and the Jets no one is probably even watching McElroy.

Best Sanchez humor I have read. .”Sanchez’s first TD pass will be to Revis.”

19. By scjoe on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Ron, I don’t get SNY so I didn’t see any of Winslow’s tape, but you say he looked head and shoulders ahead of all the rest, Dr Frank, who was at camp says he looked slow awkward and couldn’t catch anything! Guys…which is it?? Dr Frank?
    Ron?

20. By Jet Fan since 1964 Frank on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

Denver released there leading rusher for the last 2 years. He is young too. wouldn’t mind seeing him invited to camp by the Jets….

21. By RONBO on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, SNY.com has a simular blog to Randy’s. Not nearly as good but lots of info. Its called the Jets blog.Now, I only say video from day 1 of mini camp but everything written in the N.Y press has been positive concerning Winslow.Again,Dr.Frank may have seen day 3 of mini-camp& mabey Winslow looked tired or slow? I can only tell you what I see or read and so far absoloutely nothing negative concerning Winslow.Obviously if he’s not signed Dr.Franks observations are correct.

22. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, Every web site, Paper, TV show & the tape I saw of Winslow he was not just the best TE but the best pass catcher on the field by far (Holmes is still hurt) so I am not sure what DR. Frank saw.

23. By Dr. Frank on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

I wouldn’t mind seeing what McGahee has left, either. As for Winslow, I was right there in Florham Park, even got his autograph for what it’s worth. He just didn’t look too good to me. He was easily being covered. He did not break away from any of our defensive coverage. He was even thrown a jump ball in the corner of the endzone, which although was probably uncatchable, was beaten to the punch by the DB covering him. To me, he didn’t stand out. Reuland and Smith looked better and caught more passes in the drills against the defense.

24. By Jet Fan Frank Since 64 on Jun 14, 2013 | Reply

, Konrad Reuland and Hayden Smith I didn’t realize the size of these 2 kids trying out as TE’s. How they will do I don’t have the slightest idea. However Eric Allen makes mention of these to kids. Time will tell on all these young players. Invite McGahee in and see what he can do….

25. By RONBO on Jun 15, 2013 | Reply

JET F/Frank, you crack me up bro. Your like a kid in a candy store! I mean that in a good way, as again, your so damn posistive! You like anybody in a Jet uniform bro! I said to Spicer on a different header that I think the T.E posisition is possibly better than most of us think. Winslow if healthy is a big plus.If ( & thats a big if ?) Smith has improved enough to be a factor we will be fine. Reuland is underrated as he can block and although not fast he catches everything thrown his way.Now the key here is Cumberlin ? Personally i havn’t seen enough of him to have a strong opinion either way. He does have ability but needs to really step up his game to keep that job!

26. By Bruce on Jun 15, 2013 | Reply

Kellen Winslow, Jr. is getting alot of ink for his attempted comeback. Got to give him credit! However, there were 4 other players attempting to try out for the NYJ. What happened to there try outs? Leger Douzable (DL), Michael Sims-Walker (WR), Mason Robinson (CB) and Mark Jackson (OL). The Jets felt these were viable candidates to try out for the NYJ. They deserve, and us fans desrve, a follow up on their try outs! What happened?

27. By Carolina Jet Fan on Jun 15, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo-your right. The key IS Cumbie. I posted last week that on gang green nation their was an article called A tale of two Cumbies.It details his poor performance 1st half of 2012 and his major improvment 2nd half. Story is 2 weeks old, scroll to bottom of the page and click on More Stories.

28. By kenny on Jun 16, 2013 | Reply

WE ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!

29. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jun 17, 2013 | Reply

Chris Pantale and Mike Shanahan will more then likely be cut. As for Cumberlin he can do the job and do it well. As for Winslow he most certainly has the talent to be a good TE and as for Reuland , I agree with you RONBO, he may be a little slow compared to Cumberland and Winslow, but he has great hands and as you noted he catches everything thrown his way and he can also block. Not a bad asset to have for an extra TE on the team…