Relentless Landolt Preps for Another Camp

Posted by Randy Lange on June 25, 2013 – 2:52 pm

Today is the hottest day of the year in North Jersey so far, but Dennis Landolt doesn’t mind sweating his way toward August. Another year, another chance for him to make the big roster.

“It’s the best job you can get,” Landolt, the Jets’ still technically first-year tackle, told me at the close of the full-squad minicamp earlier this month. “You’re playing football, you’re making money, you’re with your friends, so you can’t beat it. You’ve got to try to stay at it as long as you can.”

Landolt’s been doing just that. He’s a first-year man because he’s never made it to any team’s active game roster. Yet he’s starting his fourth summer in an NFL uniform, and his fourth season all or in part with the Jets. Here’s how his NFL résumé has unfolded:

April 25, 2010 — Signed by Giants as undrafted free agent.

Sept. 4, 2010 — Final cut by Giants.

Sept. 15, 2010 — Signed by Giants to practice squad.

Oct. 19, 2010 — Released by Giants from practice squad.

Dec. 21, 2010 — Signed by 49ers to practice squad.

Jan. 12, 2011 — Signed by Jets to practice squad.

Jan. 26, 2011 — Signed by Jets to reserve/future contract.

Sept. 2, 2011 — Final cut by Jets.

Sept. 5, 2011 — Signed by Saints to practice squad.

Oct. 1, 2011 — Released by Saints from practice squad.

Oct. 5, 2011 — Signed by Jets to practice squad.

Oct. 18, 2011 — Released by Jets from practice squad.

Oct. 31, 2011 — Signed by Jets to practice squad.

Jan. 2, 2012 — Signed by Jets to reserve/future contract.

September 2012 — Makes Jets’ 53-man roster, inactive for first 3 games with knee injury. (Not enough time on the roster to get him a year of NFL experience.)

Sept. 24, 2012 — Released by Jets from 53-man roster.

Sept. 27, 2012 — Signed by Jets to practice squad.

Oct. 30, 2012 — Released by Jets from practice squad.

Nov. 28, 2012 — Signed by Jets to practice squad.

Dec. 31, 2012 — Signed by Jets to reserve/future contract.

For those scoring at home, that’s four offseason deals, two final cuts, eight practice-squad signings, four practice-squad releases, and three games inactive on a 53-man roster.

That timeline is a testament to Landolt’s never-give-up attitude. It also speaks to his pedigree — All-Big Ten first-teamer, All-America third-teamer as a Nittany Lions senior in ’09 — as well as to his family tree — older brother Kevin Landolt, a defensive tackle out of West Virginia, was the Jaguars’ fourth-round pick in 1999 — and to a number of coaching staffs saying, yeah, OK, let’s bring the big guy from Penn State in for training camp or for the P-squad.

And maybe this July 26, the start of Jets training camp, will be the summer Dennis’ career catches fire.

“Yeah, I think there’s an opportunity here. I think there’s always an opportunity for me,” said the 6’4″, 306-pounder, who was getting second-team reps during the minicamp earlier this month. “That’s the one thing about training camp. You can win yourself a spot.”

He also likes OC Marty Mornhinweg’s West Coast offense as far as it concerns his position.

“You’ve got some new stuff to learn, but I think everybody likes the new offense,” he said. “Marty’s a great coach and it’s exciting and it’s fun to do.”

What might be worth a glance up at SUNY Cortland beginning late next month is to take a timeout from watching the QBs, the RBs or the DBs and seeing how No. 76 is faring in his battle along the O-line. You know Landolt will be in there as long as he can.

Tags: , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Relentless Landolt Preps for Another Camp”

1. By RONBO on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

No way to tell this soon but my guess is Landolt faces a tough road to make this roster. With 3 kids drafted for the O-line plus the undrafted kid from Clemson who they are very high on, his chances are not good. The only thing that may save him is his versatility (he can also play G,) an injury or one of the rookie’s being a complete bust? This time of year is obviously a slow time here on Randy’s Radar so I hope all my friends her are haveing a great summer.

2. By SQUIRREL on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

he will be on the practice squad and it sounds like he deserves it too

3. By scjoe on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

It is great that he is determined and that he don’t give up, but there is a reason he has been cut by 3 different teams practice squads and never made it to an active roster. But as I always say, and believe, “never say never”

4. By IRA on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

scjoe,
    I believe you can’t be on the PS more than 2 years or so. Randy correct me if I am wrong if Landolt can’t make the 53 then he will be cut. Wish him well but the odds are not great.
    Doing my summer reading and I found some interesting facts. Bears punter A Podlesh allowed just 84 return yds on 81 punts. I would think that has to be close or an all-time record. Randy only you might now.
    And their placekicker Gould ranks 6th in NFL history in FG percent and in the past 4 years has hit on 13-15 FGs from 50 or longer including 8-8 since 2011. That is amazing since he plays in the Windy City.

5. By IRA on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

Its going to be interesting to see what Geno decides to do with Jets West. He still is not saying he will attend. Wonder how this plays out?

6. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

RONBO, thanks for the; “I hope all my friends her are haveing a great summer”, same back at you. Landolt , I have to give him an “A” on determination and attitude, but I am with you and SCJOE as to the reasons he was cut by 3 other teams. This could be the year Landolt puts it together. But with the competition from the 3 rookies, it’s going to be a rough road for him. But like SCJOE stated… Never say never.

7. By GaryC on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

The patsies know how to deal with a thug,cut ties quickly,the jets need to learn.

8. By Mike Jet Vet on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

Gary, Patsies knew about this thug before they drafted him, Tell me how come they didn’t reprimand or cut him for the guy he shot in the arm plus resulting in losing his eye , so please don’t tell me about how righteous Pats are, They take every reject with talent so far they’ve been lucky, until now

9. By GaryC on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

mikejetvet,maybe their bleeding heart bled one too many times and they finally got it right.

10. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

Gary C, Hernandez got caught smoking pot in college & they still drafted him. He cursed out & almost got into a fight with Wes Wleker for no reason as a rookie. He shot a guy this off season & the guy lost a eye. NOW finally that this guy is about to get charged with murder with a different person than the 1 who lost the eye did the Pats cut him. So they actually dont deal with things quickly. We are also talking about the team that signed Randy Moss after he said “I will play when I want to play” & the team that cheating by video taping everyone!

11. By RONBO on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,S.C.Joe, and the gang, I take no pleasure in the Aaron Hernandez situation as it is a tragady on every level.Obviously, a person was killed and thats a terrible thing.I’m sure that person has family that will miss him.As for Hernandez, as bad as things look he is still presumed innocent until proven otherwise.But no matter what happans he will never be the same.This is likely another instance of where a man has so much to live for,yet it was not enough to prevent this awful tragady.Not really thinking how this effects our Jets as that really doesn’t matter!

12. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

RONBO, I don’t think it effects the JETS with the exception that Hernandez is no longer in NE’S lineup. YES, it is tragic, for all the families involved.