Jim Hudson, Another Super Man, Dies at 70

Posted by Randy Lange on June 27, 2013 – 1:25 pm

Another member of the Jets’ Super Bowl III team has left us with word that safety Jim Hudson, 70, died Tuesday.

Jim HudsonHudson was the starting left safety for the Jets in the game against the Baltimore Colts at the Orange Bowl on Jan. 12, 1969. He came up with one of the many key plays for the Jets defense on the last play of the first half.

The Colts, trailing, 7-0, tried to get on the board with a trick play from the Jets 41, a fleaflicker from Earl Morrall to Tom Matte back to Morrall, who was trying to find RB Jerry Hill near the Jets 10. Instead, he found Hudson, who returned the pick to the Jets 21 for the middle of five takeaways for the D on the day. No. 22 for the Green & White also had six tackles in the historic 16-7 triumph.

The INT was one of 15 pro interceptions for Hudson, who played in the AFL from 1965-69 and in the NFL in 1970, all six seasons with the Jets.

Hudson (6’2″, 210) came to the Jets as the result of one of the most productive scouting trips in franchise history. Jets scouts were in attendance at the 1965 Orange Bowl to watch QB Joe Namath direct Alabama. But they left the game with favorable impressions of a passing connection that lifted the Texas Longhorns over the Crimson Tide, 21-17 — a 69-yard catch-and-run from Hudson to WR George Sauer. Sauer, who passed away in May, was selected in the ’65 AFL Redshirt Draft, played that same span of 1965-70 with the Jets, and also had a starring role in SBIII. Hudson arrived as a free agent.

Although Hudson was born in Steubenville, Ohio, he made Texas his home. He played both DB and QB for the Longhorns and was inducted into the Texas Men’s Hall of Honor last year. After football, he and QB John Hadl went into real estate together in the Austin, Texas, area, and that led to his long career training quarter horses and thoroughbreds in Texas and Louisiana.

Hudson died Tuesday in Austin. He is survived by his wife, Lise. We extend our condolences to the Hudson family.

Tags: , , , ,

58 Responses to “Jim Hudson, Another Super Man, Dies at 70”

1. By dave from the polo grounds on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

a different world…my heroes are leaving us- u have 2 value everyday

2. By IRA on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

Hudson always seemed to be around the ball. A staple back there for the Jets. Yes imagine they ended up with all three players from one game. If a scout or GM did that today and had the success the Jets had back then they would be on top of the football world. Well back in 1968/1969 the Jets were and in large part due to that trip Randy wrote about. Condolences to his family.

3. By scjoe on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

One of the better safety’s ever for the NYJ! Seems like we are losing good people every week lately. R.I.P. Mr Hudson.

4. By CharlesinVirginia on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

I remember when Hudson was thrown out of the Heidi game with the Raiders. He was a great competitor and an important piece of the 1968 defense. He understood his role and fulfilled his mission. Thank you Jim for a job well done!

5. By RONBO on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

Randy,Geez, we just talked about the run of sad luck here the other day.George Sauer, Dottie Hampton, Dave Jennings and now Jim Hudson.Obviously this is a terrible month for members of the Jet family. Again, our thoughts and prayers go out to Jims friends and family. With all the bad things going on regarding NFL players getting into trouble things like this dont get the mention they deserve.Thank you again for you sensitivity and shareing this sad news with our group here.

6. By Randy Lange on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

Thanks, Ronbo. It’s a sad but necessary duty.

7. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

Hudson will be missed by all. He was a good safety and always around the ball… I too, remember the Heidi game against Oakland….

8. By IRA on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    Agree it’s time for a run on some good news this for sure has been a bad time lately and it really hits home with me since I just lost my brother in law 2 weeks ago. May God Bless all the families and everybody else too.

9. By Manuel on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

its sad to hear the bad news.

10. By Connie (Nicholas)Carberg on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

Jim was a quiet leader and Namath talks about how Hudson and Walt Michaels made him realize he had a great D and just play smart QB, not necessary to throw 5TDs and 5 ints to win. This is the 45th anniversary of Superbowl lll and with passing of guys, wish we could celebrate them with SB being in NY this year. He and Billy Baird, both free agents, were terrific and smart safeties for a great defense! Thank you Randy for writing and caring about the men who were so important in the History of the Jets. My thoughts and prayers to Jim’s family.

11. By kw65fan on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

Hudson was a fiery player and one of the biggest hitters at the safety position. the man had total class. One of the best safeties in his time. Although not many rewards given…but he left it on the field. RIP Jim…left us too soon. God Bless to his family.

12. By Charliejet on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

R.I.P. Jim Hudson.

13. By Mike V on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

Hud was the best. What a hitter. I loved it when he was thrown out of the “Heidi Game” in Oakland and he flipped the crowd the bird as he strolled off the field – the Raider fans went absolutely crazy! His passion and intensity for his job and the game is something the modern Jets need to learn (management and players): everything isn’t a “business decision” – you are in the NFL to win a Championship and anything else means you failed. Hudson and Philbin set the tone for the defense and the rest followed suit. I can’t believe Hudson, Sauer, Biggs, Sample, Weeb, and Rush are all gone… big shoes that no other Jet teams have come close to filling. Hey Hud, thanks for 1968!!!

14. By IRA on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

Mike V, Great comments and couldn’t agree with you more about those players. They were something very special. All these players got it and appreciated that they had the talent to play football and made the most out of it. Not like some of these misguided players of today that have no clue what its about or how to carry themselves on and off the field.

15. By RONBO on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

Ira, So sorry to hear about your brother in law! My best wishes to you and your family. I’m actually on my way to a wake right now for a long term friend.Its amazing how many wakes & funerals we go to as we get older. In our 20′s,30′s and even our 40′s we seemed to always be going to weddings.I just turned 60 earlier this month and I’ve been to 5 wakes this month alone!Mike V & Connie, thank you for your great posts.As Jet fans we sadly havn’t had much to cheer about lately, but its nice to come together in these sad times.Kind of like a family here at Randy’s Radar.

16. By fred on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

Great post Mike V I look up at my team pix of the Super Bowl III team & cannot believe how many are no longer with us. May I add codolences to Ira for your loss

17. By IRA on Jun 29, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo and Fred
    Thanks for the kind words. Ronbo you are so right besides the outstanding job Randy does with his stories, stats, and facts the Radar is like family to a lot of us. Its always been a great place to be since it started and it has got better and better as time has gone on. Sorry about your losses and lets pray we all have some good news for sometime now. It sounds like we all can use it.
    Can’t wait for training camp!
    GO JETS!!!!!

18. By KBM on Jun 29, 2013 | Reply

Hudson was Namath’s road game roommate, and they appeared to be tight. My memory is fading like my contemporaries on this post (age 59), but I believe it was the post Supe season in fall of 1969 when Hudson tore up his knee. Was it the away game at Denver? Not sure, but if so, game also Steve O’Neal 98 yard punt game. Whatever, I vividly remember No. 22 on the ground in pain and Joe Willie came into the screen on my black and white. After seeing the apparent seriousness of the injury, Namath tore off his own helmet and threw to the ground…….just an image I remember. Tough guy, great player and Jet and real big part of giving us our only championship……………….RIP Jim Hudson…..

19. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jun 30, 2013 | Reply

RONBO sorry to hear about your losses. My toughest loss was my son in Iraq last year. FRED, since SB III people have aged we are going to suffer losses and losses are always hard to come by whether it is our favorite players, announcers or family members, but that also includes the friends we made in here. Everyone in here may have different opinions, but that is what being in here is all about as well as becoming friends.

20. By Mike Jet Vet on Jun 30, 2013 | Reply

For us guy’s getting up there in life, I’ll say this,well I’ll speak for myself anyway, maybe some of you feel the same maybe not. losing all these greats every year will eventually make us older guy’s have just this generation of players to watch and inspire our youth. I see military, honor, constitution, religion the great generation, and football together as one entity, these days kids of today are not in tune or taught any of it, it’s a shame if not a sin .. GO Jets

21. By Jim on Jun 30, 2013 | Reply

The original and best number #22 of the JETS!

RIP Jim

22. By windsor9101 on Jun 30, 2013 | Reply

As with Sauer, I’m so glad to see this tribute posted on the Jets page. The Jets should honor the entire Super Bowl 3 team by marching them out at halftime of a game this year, to include a moment of silence for the great team members that have passed. That would make Sauer, Hudson, Biggs, Sample and Weeb look down and smile.

23. By RONBO on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

JET FAN FRANK, First of all, thank you for shareing your sons story with us.Its a tragady to loose a child and sadly I’ve experienced a simular loss myself 4 years ago we lost our God-Daughter in a tragic car accident.Although she was not our’s she was like our own as her father is my very best friend.Still chokes me up when ever I even think of her.MIKE JET VET, as usual, your always a great read.But lets not lump all these kids today in one bag.Jet Fan Frank’s son gave his life for his country as have have many others.That speaks well for him,his family & his generation as well!

24. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I agree whole heartily, I’m definitely not lumping all of them in a basket, I have a son and Nephew serving as we speak, What I said was this generation of players college kids,Unfortunately there is difference in the Two in today’s world, you have Spoil self serving Kids without discipline then there are the kids who care about country family loyalty etc. What I believe should be done before any kid is recruited or granted any scholarship, There needs to be a thorough background check assuring there hasn’t been any gang affiliation nor any criminal convictions 1st and foremost. Next in the NFL any player convicted of a serious crime all contracts should be null and void and no chance of ever being in the NFL again

25. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

AMEN, MJV, I feel the same way on scholarships and back-ground checks. So many of these players in professional sports take for-granted the “God given” talents that they have been given. RONBO, I feel your loss. MJV, you son and nephew now fall into a category that is on my vest and a saying from the “VIET NAM WAR”… ‘ALL GAVE SOME AND SOME GAVE ALL” . In todays sports the saying is “I WANT ALL YOU CAN GIVE AND I EXPECT MORE” even if I screw up. SAD, VERY SAD…

26. By IRA on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

Mike,
    You make some good points. I am all for one for giving somebody a second chance but not what took place up in Boston.
    The NFL does do thorough background checks on players problem is GM’s will always take a chance if they think they can turn a kid around and he will help them win. sad to say if they don’t win GM’s lose their jobs and thats why they look the other way too many times.
    Considering what has taken place in the NFL with guns and its getting worse i think the league should not allow the terms of shotgun, bomb, or pistol formation to be used. Make a stand!

27. By RONBO on Jul 2, 2013 | Reply

MJV & J/F/FRANK,your definately on to somthing regarding back ground checks ect.Not sure life time bans are the answere as people do make mistakes. But they need to see a light at the end of the tunnel so they have somthing posistive to strive for.Our penal system is a perfect example of that.Incarsearation without hope breeds a person with nothing to strive for as they have no chance of rejoining society in a positive way.I coached Juvee’s in my younger days and as bad as some of them were, many turned into solid productive citizens.One of them had a great college football career & actually tried out(unsuccessfully)for our Jets.

28. By RONBO on Jul 2, 2013 | Reply

IRA, Yeah, the Hernandez situation is beyond tragic.I have no idea what actually happaned but the evidence though circumstantial appears overwhelming from early reports.This is not the type of situation I had in mind when i advocated second chances.This was a pre-meditated takeing of a life that is as vile an act as one human being can perform.No, if he is found guilty there is no place in society for him and those involved.Again, he is not convicted, but its not looking good for him at this point!

29. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 2, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I’m all for rehabilitation, really I am , problem is these kids today don’t take it seriously and just take it for granted, Basically using it as a stepping stone do to the slap on the wrist affect, Political correctness just exacerbates the problem not rectify it it’s time to get serious about punishment , Ira and Ronbo Most of these kids have had numerous chances and some had their records ex-sponged, being minors or favoritism, it’s only hurting them not helping, time to change tactics Take us in our younger days we were more afraid to face our parents then the law,

30. By IRA on Jul 3, 2013 | Reply

Everybody have a Happy and Safe 4th! And if lucky enough enjoy the holiday weekend.
    GO JETS!!!!

31. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 3, 2013 | Reply

IRA , thank-you and have a great 4th of July also. To all my friends and acquaintances’ herein, as well as the JET PLAYERS that goes for you to RANDY… HAVE A GREAT 4th of July…

32. By Randy Lange on Jul 3, 2013 | Reply

To Frank and all the Radar operators, thanks for another great offseason and have a great Fourth of July.

33. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 3, 2013 | Reply

MJV, I really liked you latest saying in your post: “Take us in our younger days we were more afraid to face our parents then the law”. How true it is. My father had a big old barber strap and he knew how to use it on me. No way would I tell him “I am going to call the police for hitting me with it. Even the PD would put a shoe up your butt, my father came from the old school hard knocks when it came to discipline. I feel my sisters and I learned integrity, respect for others and turned out pretty good, like most of us in here.

34. By RONBO on Jul 3, 2013 | Reply

MIKE JET VET & JET FAN FRANK, make no mistake I am 100% with you guys regarding the catering or coddling of our youth today.I walked away from my teaching career because I was smart enough to know there was no way I was gonna let some kid tell me to go bleep myself or flip me the bird when I attempted to enforce discipline in my classroom.Like you guys I learned the hard way to respect those responcable for my well being.My only concern is we dont lump them all in one negative bag.

35. By RONBO on Jul 3, 2013 | Reply

Randy, again I want ot thank you and all the other regulars here for giving us this forum which allows us an opportunity to talk about the team we all love(no matter how frustrating they have been)And I want to wish the gang here a safe healthy happy 4th of July!

36. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 3, 2013 | Reply

Jet F Frank, exactly, this is what I instilled into my children and wish these young thugs of today could or would remotely understand opportunity given them though hard work monies earned from good parents with love, So they can have a better life,Then maybe just maybe understanding what good discipline will bring throughout their life time. Mainly pride of accomplishment, for self and the very parents and family who sacrificed to get them though college and hopefully beyond Sorry to say in the world of hooray for me and who are you mentality, in very nauseating for me . GO JETS

37. By Dave on Jul 3, 2013 | Reply

I’m a relatively young Jets fan at 22. I just finished watching the Super Bowl III win for the first time. What a thing of beauty it was. Namath, Snell, Sauer, Hudson, Sample, Beverly, Philbin. That O-Line… Just wow.

38. By Jimmer on Jul 4, 2013 | Reply

This lack of news is torturing. I actually paid the 4.95 for a jets confidential,,, all 12 pages that had non ads.

39. By IRA on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

Heard some very good stuff about EJ Manuel who i wanted the Jets to draft. Its going to be interesting to see how he and Geno develope as QB’s and who turns out to be the better QB.

40. By RONBO on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

Jimmer, hang in there bro.Obviously this is the slowest time of year for Jet news as everyone is off enjoying their last vacation before camp starts.Look at it as “no news is good news” as at least we are not involved in anything like the fans in N.E are dealing with regarding the Hernandez situation.Before you knoe it Randy’s Radar will be humming on activity from Cortland!

41. By IRA on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

I have mentioned this before it appears Brad Smith is going to be cut. I think he could be a perfect # 4 WR for the Jets plus his ST’s playand veteran leadership can only help this team. Plus they could save a roster spot and he could be the 3rd string QB. I think its a no brainer he did have 37 catches in 07 and that was with a real bad team. I really hope Idzik has him on their short list. What do you guys think?

42. By scjoe on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

Ira, we have 6 or 7 rookie WRs along with Holmes, Hill and Kerley on the roster right now, lets hope that at least one of them emerges as an upgrade to Brad Smith as a #4, also, with the QB situation being borderline pathetic, I think I would rather see McElroy at #3 then Brad Smith. I am right there with you on EJ Manual though. I said from the outset that he would go in the 1st round, just wish it was the NYJ instead of Buffalo. After all, it was priority #1 hands down.

43. By Ronbo on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

IRA, since you asked my take on Smith he is an o.k. W.R who can return kicks and play some special teams.The problem is McKnight has established himself as a kick returner and although unproven and in some cases disappointing to date, there are some young receivers we need to find out about before bringing a guy like Smith back aboard.As for Geno vs E.J, if you recall both S.C.Joe were in favor of drafting him if he was available with out pick in the 2nd rd. As that was not the case its too late to worry about now as like him or not Geno is our guy for now.I don’t take training camp stuff to seriously as until the pads go on and the red vests come off its not the real deal.

44. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

No sense on discussing who we should have drafted, that’s in the past. What is in the future is what counts. We have some new pass receivers and like RONBO and SCJOE have pointed out, lets hope that they can step in and give us what we lacked last year. HOWEVER, my big concern is in the QB position. I feel our running game will be improved, but with out a passing game the defenses will gear up on the RB’s and that is where we will get hurt.

45. By IRA on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

scjoe,
    They have a lot of young WR’s you are right maybe one of them surprises and can grab a spot but I still would think its better to have a veteran to start camp or added once camp starts because of the uncertainty of Holmes and the growth of Hill. I have praised Kerley since day one. Maybe Winslow can stay healthy and we will think a bit different about the WR group. It all starts in 3 weeks.
    GO JETS!!!!!!

46. By Ronbo on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, as usual we are on the same page re:Geno vs. E.J. Truthfully, none of us knows how this will work out in the long run but if i had to hazard a guess (that’s all it could be at this point)E.J would be my choice as he is a better physical specimen and Geno just scares the crap out of me with his lack of experience in a pro-style offense. Bye the way, borderline pathetic might be overly optimistic at this point!

47. By JAKE on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

Hey Randy, is there any word on if Dee Milliner will be recovered from surgery and be ready for training camp?

48. By Randy Lange on Jul 6, 2013 | Reply

Jake, in May Dee Milliner was asked if he’d be ready to go by training camp and said, “Yes I will,” and Rex Ryan said, “Certainly by training camp I anticipate him being out there.” I’ve heard nothing since to the contrary.

49. By Frank on Jul 7, 2013 | Reply

Thought I would check in…Ira just read your comments suggesting the NFL ban the use of certain terms like “pistol”, “shotgun” etc. Your kidding right? I got a better idea. How about a zero tolerance policy and mandating new language that says working for the NFL is a PRIVELEDGE. If a team like the Pats want to draft a thug like Hernandez they will be held accountable as a team by losing draft picks if that player screws up ONCE. Step 2 any player arrested is automatically cut and banned for a minimum of one year. This culture is INEXCUSABLE!!!! There are 10′s of millions of law abiding citizens who never get arrested It is inexcusable to let this culture permeate the NFL. I am getting to the point I will no longer support this garbage!

50. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 7, 2013 | Reply

Ira, glad you’ve acknowledged the two players I liked a lot , and please don’t think me braggadocios, if you remember way back I wanted and lobbied for EJ Manual before anyone even mentioned his name here at Jets nation, I also commented on many occasions, and if you go back in time here at the Radar,About Brad Smith we should have never been let go, he was if not the most prolific player on our way to both AFC Championship games, I remember him winning one of the most Important games almost single handily at Cincy , I also remember him winning two other games a run back as he lost a shoe, another on a QB sneak for a TD there were many big plays by this kid, Sad day for the Jets when letting him go

51. By IRA on Jul 7, 2013 | Reply

Curious how Bush, Allen and Jarrett play during camp. My gut is that Bush can possibly grab that free safety spot. If not and the others don’t guess they will have to sign somebody. I know this is highly unlikely but Rhodes is still a free agent and is coming off of a 4 INT and 69 tackle year. Better than what they have now. Huge problem is that he left on such bad terms with Rex and Thurman. Wonder if he has humbled at all and if Rex would give him another shot?

52. By IRA on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Frank,
    You are not wrong. Funny i spoke about D Connor getting busted for taking a knife on a flight. Well not only was there no reaction but i was the only comment about it including hosts. Imagine if a Jet did this it would make front pages.

53. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

There is a story on the site about Mo Wilkerson it talks about his season last year. I knew he had 5 sacks I did not know he had 90 tackles. That is a great if not pro bowl year for a 3 – 4. Those type of tackle numbers are usually done only by linebackers or safteys.

54. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

IRA, Unless we bring someone else in I think Bush wins the job. With Landry as the strong saftey we need a free or cover saftey on the other side. Bush played corner back for a few years in college & is the best cover guy of the 3. I think he will be the starter.

55. By Frank on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Spicer I agree about Bush although I still think we will sign someone. Ira Rhodes isn’t coming back here. With that being said the offense is still a mess and will continue to be the achilles heal of this team. What happened to 64? anyone?

56. By Ronbo on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

FRANK, good question about Tom64. He is definately missed big time here as he is one of the guys who makes you think and bring your A game. He mentioned some health issues but was still contributing until all of a sudden nothein? Randy, do you know anything we dont know or did I miss something?

57. By Randy Lange on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I don’t know anything you don’t know about Jet Fan Since ’64 Tom.

58. By Alberto Castillo on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Jim Hudson was a great person, not just a good football player. He worked hard to get where he got; he earned it. I was a High School teammate of his and have many fond memories of those days. May he rest in peace.