• Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Wed., Sep. 10, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

Another First for Rex: A Run with the Bulls

Posted by Randy Lange on July 8, 2013 – 4:22 pm

130708-rex-ryan-running-with-the-bulls-650Updated, 5:00 p.m. ET

We all know that Rex Ryan lives life just a little on the edge, not to mention on point, as in the point of a bull’s horn.

The New York Jets are confirming this afternoon that Ryan participated in this year’s annual running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain. That iconic event glorified by Hemingway in 1926 and in numerous books, magazines, movies and commercial endeavors ever since now lists the Jets’ fifth-year head coach among its aficionados, not to mention one of its participantes.

Ryan, on vacation with his family, threw his hat into the ring — or more precisely into the Plaza de Toros — with a Sunday run, then he participated with the crowd again this morning in the famous north central Spanish town situated near the border with France and the Bay of Biscay.

People are injured every year in the running and one man was killed in the event in 2009. But we can also report that Ryan came out of this brush with the bull unharmed, and with more than a few stories to pass on to his coaches, his players, the media and the fans once he retakes the Jets podium at training camp in two-plus weeks.

Social networking coordinator Laura Clemente has posted a tweet on Rex with the bulls here and the link to the Instagram photo is here.

Tags: , , , ,

24 Responses to “Another First for Rex: A Run with the Bulls”

1. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Ryan, I give you credit for doing what you did. I am more concerned though on how you play this year…

2. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Continued.. I am looking forward to training camp and pre-season. So lets go JETS….

3. By ronbo on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Sounds to me like Rex is more ever. I’m nor sure how old he is but he’s got to have a fer screws loose to do something like that. Whats next, tripping an opponent along the sidelines?

4. By 41 year fan John on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Running for your life from the bulls …That’s exactly what opening day is going to look like for Sanchez ….

5. By IRA on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Good for Rex this tells me ground and pound will return this year.Its a funny message he is telling everybody.

6. By IRA on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

I guarantee Rex ran at least a 4.8 40 in this run.
    GO REX!!!!

7. By SCfromNY on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Hey, it not the season and even if Rex was injured he is a coach and could coach injured. He should have taken Sanchez with him and tripped him.

Haven’t ranted in a while. QB battle should be between Smith and McElroy. No matter what Mangold says I believe seeing Sanchez at QB will depress the team.

8. By Charliejet on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

SCfromNY – my sentiments exactly – should have taken Sanchez with him, oops!

9. By scjoe on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Who better to run with the “Bull” then Rex Ryan? (;-)

10. By scjoe on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

SCfrom NY, couldn’t agree more (and of course not because we both have SC in our name) Sanchez should go, problem is (and it is a huge one) what are the alternatives? Besides just another body out there.

11. By russ on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Life is Good Rex…Carpe Diem….and football is just footballl…

12. By Chicago Bob on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Finally the Patriots do something to take over the headlines and our boy Sanchez finds a way to get the Jets back in the headlines (the ones we don’t want). I have always been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt however I am done with him – if he isn’t doing something stupid on the field, he is doing it off the field – and THIS is the guy who is going to take the Jets to the Super Bowl? I don’t think so. Defense should be solid – hopefully when it is our turn to pick next year the best WR is available or one of the stud OT’s that supposedly are coming out. Looking forward to the end of 2013 when we can let both Holmes and Sanchez go and use that money more wisely.

13. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

ESPN New York considers second-year S Josh Bush the “favorite” to win the Jets’ starting free safety job.
    Bush played in only five games on defense as a rookie, but made eight special teams tackles and earned a longer look. The Jets got away with coverage liability Yeremiah Bell at free safety last year, so Bush can’t be a huge downgrade. The Wake Forest alum dabbled at both cornerback and safety in college

14. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

The D will be good it was last year without Revis & with a O that had constant 3 & outs which had the D sucking wind by the end of the game. We also added Millner & Richardson so I think that unti will be as good or better.

15. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

As far as the O I think the line will be at least as good as last year we got 2 guards in free agency, 2 guards & a tackle in the draft. I think Ivory will be a upgrade to Greene. It will all come down to 2 things 1 If Kerley is the only offensive option like last year we are looking at 6 & 10 again or worse. If we have a healthy Holmes, Winslow & Kerley as the 3rd option all year. Even with decent QB play we can battle for a playoff spot. If Geno can win the QB job & step up like the 3 QBS from last year than ANYTHING is possible!

16. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Don’t think Rex would want the responsibility of Sanchez running with Bulls, since he can’t get even run with the ball, running up a slow 300 pound O/L butt is proof of that,imagine the consequence running in the same vicinity as a furious fire breathing speeding 800 LB bull,… Hot Dog anyone?

17. By IRA on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Getting closer to the start of the season and one of the AFC teams that I really like besides (sorry) the Fish are the Bengals. I think they are loaded on both sides of the ball and if Dalton can take the next step, I think they can go deep in the playoffs. Their DL could be the best in the AFC along with their skill position players and secondary plus now they have a real double TE threat they should be a 10 or 11 win team.

18. By IRA on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

I had this debate with sombody yesterday. I am not taking anything away from Cruz who is a very, very good player and his numbers are outstanding. But i felt that Chrebet was a better all around WR with better hands and a much more clutch player than Cruz is. The only thing Cruz has over Chrebet is that he is a homerun threat and can score from any part of the field. Besides that Chrebet was better. What do you guys think?

19. By scjoe on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Ira, Chrebet was a great “Jet” he is one of my all time favorites based on what he had accomplished, he was an overachiever, but given the choice I would take Cruz hands down every time.

20. By Stevesc on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Ira, comparing Cruz and Chrebet is like comparing a home run hitter and a guy who bats for average in baseball. Cruz, like a home run hitter, can get you a score quickly, while Chrebet, the guy who bats for average, gets on base and scores runs, moving the chains so to speak… As far as heart is concerned, I’d take Chrebet any day over Cruz. Also, as you said, Chrebet had great hands and was a clutch player. It’s a tough one to call, as both players have their good points. Overall though, being a JET fan, I have to go with Wayne. He was a fan favorite for years, and was a heck of a player. IMHO.

21. By Chicago Bob on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

If you were talking about one season, I would have to go with Cruz however if you needed one of the two for ONE game, I would take Chrebet. Over the long haul of a season, I think having Cruz would prove to be more beneficial however if you had a “must-win” game, I would go with Chrebet. Just my opinion – seemed like he was the type of player you would want on your side if it came down to a “60 minute season”. Agree with you Spicer 100%, OL should be just as good if not a little better and unless we can get someone to step up in the receiving department we are looking at a draft pick between number 8-12.

22. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Let me settle Cuz or Chrebet, debate, Give me Eli, or Payton, throwing. I’ll settle for either one

23. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Chrebet has way better hands he never dropped anything. I have seen Cruz drop alot of balls. Last year in the pre season game vs the Giants Cruz went over the middle & Laron Landry layed him out. After that play he had aligator arms for the rest of the day. Chrebet was clutch as can be & tuff as nails. There is no way Cruz is as tuff as Chrebet NOT POSSIBLE. Chrebet did it for 10 years Cruz has 2 good years under his belt. Alot of guys as soon as they get the money they fold. Lets see Cruz play at the same level for a few years before we start to compare him to Chrebet!

24. By Ronbo on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

IRA, no brainer here, I loved Crebet but he was an undersized slower possession type reciever who compiled some decent stats due to his longevity but in no way shape or form is he in Victor Cruz’s class.Now if Cruz fizzles out like some here suggest we can revisit this issue again later but we can only compare their careers over a 3 year period,Cruz in my mind is the clear winner!