• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

Top 10 Player Nuggets from Yearbook ’13

Posted by Randy Lange on July 8, 2013 – 12:36 pm

The Radar’s been dark for a while, as you all know. Not a lot to talk about on the player front, other than the several who continue to show up at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on their own to work and sweat in advance of the late-July start of training camp. And we were preoccupied for the past several weeks with whipping the 2013 Yearbook home to the printers.

But we will have a full month of previews, reviews, features and news stories on newyorkjets.com, including new outstanding videos from my partner, Eric Allen, and the broadcasting and multimedia crew, some more EA blogs, and some preview pieces from the Yearbook.

Did I mention the Yearbook yet? As always, it’s a labor of love and a glorious print paean to the 2013 Jets, with some top-notch stories from EA, reporter John Holt and myself, along with the fantastic still photography of Al Pereira and the sharp design work of Rob Krolick and his NCG Visuals team.

The book’s theme is the New York Jets’ Golden Anniversary, as in it’s been 50 years since the Jets arose from the ashes of the Titans of New York to begin life with the 1963 AFL season. The cover is graced with a timeline of great Jets images from Joe Namath to Jumbo Elliott to David Harris, and more of those classic images appear with my feature inside.

Many of those photos are gracing this year’s ticket package that is going out to season ticket holders. One of my favorite shots in the book, one that is not on the tickets but is featured prominently in the feature, is Wesley Walker being raised to the Jets pantheon by Marty Lyons after a particularly significant achievement in September 1986. The lensman was Jerry Liebman, a frequent Jets contributor back in those days.

The 2013 Yearbook itself will be out the first week of camp (first full practice: Friday, July 26), available for non-season ticket holders at SUNY Cortland, online at jetshop.com and at the Jets Shops in Manhattan and at MetLife Stadium.

One of the things I look forward to executing every year are the factoids at the bottom of each of the full-page veteran and draft choice pages, a trading-card-like note on each player’s recent past and anticipated immediate future. I won’t spoil too much of the fun, but here for some flavor of this year’s Yearbook and to keep us all going a little while longer is a list of my Top Ten Player Nuggets:

■ Antwan Barnes, who played his first pro game as a Ravens rookie against the Jets on Sept. 16, 2007, had five sacks in his first 40 NFL games, then erupted for 18.5 sacks in 38 games as a Charger since ’10.

■ Willie Colon, as a New York City high school all-star in the early 2000s, played in the Empire Challenge and thus practiced for the game at the Jets’ fields when they were stationed at Hofstra University.

■ Demario Davis should increase his playing time this season after an active rookie campaign in which he led the Jets with 371 special teams plays and was second behind Nick Bellore with 15 ST tackles.

■ D’Brickashaw Ferguson played in every one of the Jets’ 1,074 offensive plays, and he extended his career-long ironman streaks to 112 games and starts — both the longest streaks among active NFL tackles.

■ David Harris led the Jets with 1,196 plays, including special teams, and again topped the defense in tackles — the fifth season that “the Hitman” reached 100 tackles and led the Jets in the process.

■ Chris Ivory, described as “a very physical, violent runner” by GM John Idzik, can move the chains — his 5.11 yards per carry is eighth-best in the NFL for all RBs with at least 250 career carries since 1970.

■ Jeremy Kerley, who led the Jets in receptions and receiving yards last season, has had a hand in the Green & White’s last seven 40-yard pass plays — five on the receiving end and two as the passer.

■ Joe McKnight’s 29.4-yard kickoff-return average in 2011-12 combined is the best in the NFL in back-to-back seasons since Hall of Famer-to-be Gale Sayers posted a 31.3 for the Bears in 1965-66.

■ Darrin Walls, whose only career interception came for Atlanta on New Year’s Day 2012 vs. Tampa Bay, has been reunited with Jets LBs coach Brian VanGorder, his defensive coordinator with the Falcons.

■  Kellen Winslow, signed June 14 after his tryout at the Jets’ full-squad minicamp, ranks third among all NFL tight ends since 2006 with 698 targets, fourth with 433 catches, and fourth with 4,798 yards.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Top 10 Player Nuggets from Yearbook ’13”

1. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

RANDY, excellent 2013 year book. I am looking forward to the start of training camp to see just how well the new and the old will play. Excellent post…

2. By kleckofan on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Randy- thanks for some interesting tidbits; reading them raised some hope for the upcoming season to at least have some excitement and individuals to focus on. The McKnight stat is particularly impressive….best since Sayers!
    Assuming Sanchez threw the other five 40+ yd passes mentioned in the Kerley stat, how many 40+ yd passes did Sanchez have in total? Who led the NFL in that stat?

3. By Ronbo on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Hi Randy, good stuff my man.Thanks for the new header as we needed to move on from the Hudson story.Too many great guys leaving us too soon.Like you said,this is a slow time of year so we just have to be patient and wait a few weeks.

4. By IRA on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Randy, Great to finally read some football stuff. great info as always and can’t wait to get and read the yearbook.
    McKnight’s notes above are the most impressive so far.
    GO JETS!!!!

5. By Randy Lange on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Ira, I agree that Joe McKnight’s two years of returning kickoffs is a fine note, but I mentioned it before on a blog right after the season so I cheated a little in including it here. I love the Chris Ivory 5.11-yards-per-carry note. His exposure has been limited for a while in the pros but I’m hopeful that average is one indication that he’s ready to break out as a Jets feature back.

6. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

I feel Ivory is going to give the Jets a much needed running back. My big concern is the QB. I feel we have some good receivers. I am not worried about the ability of Kerley or Winslow and I feel we have some pretty good players in Rogers and Bohanan. The key is going to be getting them the ball to them. Although I feel our offense has improved with some new additions, I am still concerned at how well the QB will play who ever it is…

7. By scjoe on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Ivory is intriguing to me too Randy, problem is, there is going to have to be some resemblance of a passing game to make him effective, if not, it is going to be a constant 8 (or 9) man front until there is one. Right now, it is not looking good with the state of the QBs and the WRs.

8. By Connie (Nicholas)Carberg on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Randy, can’t wait for the Yearbook, celebrating the 50 years. Memories that I cherish as a 12 year old till now as do all loyal Jet fans. Looking forward to seeing you at Cortland! So ready for Jets football and all the new excitement!

9. By IRA on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Randy,
    good point about Ivory but just reading McKnight’s name along with Sayers’ is what got my eyes. I am going on record to say Ivory rushes for 1,213 yds this year!

10. By SCfromNY on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

I have to agree with scjoe and not because we both have “sc” in our name. Without a decent QB there will be no fear of our passing game. Also without a passing game you are looking at far too many 3 and outs which will put the D on the field far too long. Not to mention turnovers by the turnover machine Sanchez. First half D stuffs other teams O. We get the ball and either INT, fumble, or pick 6. Defense gets tired and depressed. Second half we get manhandled.

11. By Ronbo on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

RANDY, I just watched the Jets weekly show on SNY last night and according to Adam Schein & Ray Lucas our running back group is “the worst in the division? Personally, I dont see it that way as like most here I’m optimistic Ivory will be a hugh upgrade over Shonn Greene.Plus Goodsn,Powell and even McKnight can all pick-em up & put-em-down as well so depth should not be an issue even if Ivory fails to stay healthy.Actually, I have to disagree with my man Ira as the depth will also be the reason Ivory fails to hit the yardage mark he predicts.M.M wil limit his carries to keep him healthy and fresh. Ahh, who cares what Schein says anyway?

12. By Paul N on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Ivory has seen limited action in his career, the question is can he play 16 games as a starter. Goodson has the same question mark, along with the legal questions (he should have been cut for the gun). Powell the Jets aren’t happy with, otherwise they wouldn’t have signed the first two. McKnight on special teams excels, but from the backfield he has struggled. If all works out we could have a fairly good RB combo, if not we could end up with the sorriest bunch in the division, only time will tell!!

13. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Randy, I believe you are very in tuned with us fans, your information is very informative and interesting to read, that said, what bothers me is working up stories on players like Joe Mc.Night he has accomplished nothing here as of yet he can’t stay healthy he can’t run for more then 3 plays in a row without throwing up getting head aches or losing his lunch.. I mean I understand we have a team of players with not much to brag about , So in ending may I say I much rather you write about what and who needs to improve instead of writing positive about negative

14. By scjoe on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Ron, reluctantly I have to agree with Schein and Lucas on the RB situation, it is what it is. It may even be an upgrade from last season (but what wouldn’t be?) I have been advocating selecting a quality RB high for the past few years now, I thought it was essential given the state of the passing game. It wasn’t done. Ivory may be the answer but where is the depth? This is the NFL, you can lose a player for the season even before the season begins. I loved Miller (UM) coming out a couple of years ago, watch him excel this season with the Dolphins.

15. By russ on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Based on the strength of our new OL I think our running game will be just great…and barring injuries may be the most dangerous in AFC East..our short game will be our strength this year so bring it on…

16. By IRA on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    No disrespect to Ray or Schein if i recall they both said Hill was the steal of the draft last year. Well how did that work out except for week 1 vs the Bills? I think this is a very good group of RB’s and don’t sleep on Griffin he could be a sleeper if given a fair shot. Big strong hard runner that can turn the corners and get some extra yards. I know its a long shot but the little i have seen from him he does have some good talents.
    And one of the most important things any of these RB’s will have to show is that they can catch the ball because i believe that will be a huge part of the passing game this year.
    GO JETS!!!!

17. By walt on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Goodson seems to be off the hook for the gun charge since the bother guy admitted that it was his gun. If he has a half way decent lawyer he should get off with possession of a little bit of weed. But then again it is New Jersey so who knows. I hope he wakes up and realizes this is his last chance at a big pay day and is much more prudent with his actions.

18. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

Our defense will most certainly be ranked in the top 5. But a healthy solid defense can not do it all. As for the running game it is greatly improved, now the question is how will White and the rest of the offensive line play, if they play as good as I hope they will, just maybe our passing game can improve we do have some descent receivers in Kerley, Winslow, Hill and Holmes. I will stick my neck out here and also say we have couple talented rookies in Rogers, Obamanu and White as well as another good receiver and full back in Bohanan. Training camp is right around the corner. ‘LETS GO JETS”…

19. By ronbo on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, no question you(& Schein) could be right.Truthfully,none of us has a clue how this will shake out as problem #1 could well be the O-line. I see Russ above thinks the running game will be better because of the O-line ? Really ? Why ? We have no idea if Colon & Peterman are upgrades over Slauson & Moore. Hey, if that happans great. But at this time we simply dont know. As for Winters, again who knows? As for Cambell & Oday, they are more likely to be on the practice squad than the 53 man roster.As for Ivory, in my mind he is clearly an upgrade over Greene.But yeah, the injury issues scare me.Goodson though a knucklhead has the speed to be a 3rd down factor & Powell is a solid #3.

20. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 9, 2013 | Reply

This is hard for me to grasp. But Athlon Sports ranks every starting NFL quarterback for the 2013 season. ,and this is what they had to say about Mark Sanchez: “Where to begin? The facts are that Sanchez is a winning quarterback for his career who has played in two AFC Championship games — out-performing Tom Brady in the process — and progressed statistically in his first three years. However, he regressed massively a year ago and has never become a play-maker. The leash is awfully short”. For more info go to http://athlonsports.com/nfl/who-best-worst-starting-quarterback-nfl-2013#sthash.2XrCjYYk.dpuf….

21. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Hey Walt maybe they should charge Goodson with a little bit of possession of a firearm,I’m sure as you do he knew the gun was in the car,Now, were they intending to use it for some strange reason I’m also sure we won’t ever know , until the next time as they get caught in the act, weed and firearms in a car is recipe for trouble in it self, these guys are in the spotlight and role models, this behavior is not indicative to nice kids just out for a Joy ride

22. By SCfromNy on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

First of all if the gun was not Goodson’s then there should be no charge. If you have a drunk in the car it does not make you partially drunk because he is sitting next to you. In many states having the gun in the car would be no big deal since under to influence or not the gun was not being used. As for the weed, give me a break that is no big deal these days. Against the law? Yes, but if you have never sped, run a red light, or jump a stop sign weigh in but otherwise stop.

I think the OL will improve, our pass and run D will be very good, and our running game has improved. BUT, without better WRs and a QB who will not be a turnover machine and sulk when he does I will not be too optimistic.

23. By ronbo on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet, you are so right about Goodson and his knucklhead friends! I said this earlier and as this Hernandez situation continues to unfold its worth repeating; with all the information and assistance available to these players today, why on earth would you get in a car with a guy with a gun and a bag of weed?Personally, I would give him the boot simply for the lack of respect he showed the organization and its fans who just gave him a multi-million dollar contract.Secondly, anyone stupid enough to do something like that is obviously not bright enough to to be of any help to us as if he cant remember what recently happaned to guys like Plaxico Burress, do we really think he can do anything simple like remember his assignments on a play

24. By walt on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Mike from what you stated you seem to think that very few people in America own guns. That is simply not the case as about 350 million guns are owned by Americans. Where I live you can see many cars with pumper stickers that say this car is protected by Smith and Wesson. Accounts state that Goodson was a passenger in the vehicle in which he was arrested which leads me to believe that the car was either owned by the other person or a rental. That being said I do not think it should be the responsibility of Goodson to interrogate whether the gun in the possession of the other person was registered whether the gun was loaded ask the other person why he had the gun in the first place. He would probably say because every one else has one ETC.

25. By Ronbo on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

SC fromNY, Wow! Dude, I have come to expect a lot better from you bro? You sound like his lawyer trying to justify his actions. Like I said in an earlier post;when I get in a car with my friends I know for a 100% fact that there will be no weed,guns or any other illegal items in that car! We cannot choose our relatives but we can certianly choose who we hang around with. If Goodson is innocent of haveing the gun or weed he is guilty of being found in a car stoned or drunk out of his mind with a couple of other knuckleheads and in view of the contract he had just signed he is also guilty of being and idiot! Sorrybro, you know I love you beut please, no more defending this type of behavior…

26. By Ronbo on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

WALT, I dont think Mike and I know I am not naieve enough to think that no one carries a gun.That said,if you dont think Goodson was fully aware that one of his crew was carrying an unliscenced gun I’m thinking mabey its you being naieve in this instance.As a gun owner I am fully aware of my responcabilities as to where and when i can carry it, as well as what can happan if I choose to ignore those responcabilities.The problem is these guys chose to ignore the law and considering what happaned to another ex N.Y football player thats just stupid!

27. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, another NE player may have bit the dust after being arrested again. Dennard another very talented player is now in the hot seat with the Patriots. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I am also with you on Goodsen…