• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

4th-Qtr Schedule: It’s a Wrap at Miami

Posted by Randy Lange on July 10, 2013 – 10:19 am

As promised, here is the next “quarter report” on the Jets’ 2013 schedule. We’re up to the fourth quarter, Games 13-16. And if the Jets can get through the first 12 games in decent shape, this quartet of December games could help them surprise, since these four foes combined for a 23-41 record (.359 winning percentage) and no playoff berths last year.

However, as we all know, the Jets had a similar stretch run last year and lost three of their last four. And the Raiders, Panthers, Browns and Dolphins have all made strides of their own to have their own successful closing kicks and playoff pushes.

Without further adieu (except to remind you that all four games’ starting times are subject to the NFL’s flex-scheduling policy), here is the Jets’ tweet-sized fourth-quarter schedule:

Game 13 — vs. OAKLAND, MetLife Stadium, Sunday, Dec. 8, 1 p.m.

■ Jets trail all-time series 21-15-2 but lead at home 9-8-1 vs Silver & Black and have won last 3 in Meadowlands (most recent: 23-3 in ’06).

■ No Oaktown this time. Jets are home at MetLife for this one after playing 10 of last 12 games in series on West Coast.

■ Could be an interesting comparison of 1st-round rookie corners: Jets’ Dee Milliner (selected 9th overall) vs OAK’s D.J. Hayden (taken 12th).

■ RB Darren McFadden’s 70-yd TD run in ’11 is 2nd-longest run vs Jets in past 14 seasons. (Longest: TEN’s Chris Johnson, 94 yds last yr).

Game 14 — @ CAROLINA, Bank of America Stadium, Sunday, Dec. 15, 4:05 p.m.

■ Jets lead all-time series 3-2. Their only road win vs Panthers in 3 tries was by 13-12 in ’01 (“the Shrek Game”).

■ Green & White also prevailed at CAR in last meeting, ’10 preseason, by 9-3. Joe McKnight had 67-yd punt return in that game.

■ Jets have faced Cam Newton just once, at home in ’12 preseason primetime game. Cam was 6-for-15 passing for 60 yds, TD in 17-12 win.

■ Jets will try to get their ground game rolling vs a defensive front that will include 1st-round DT Star Lotulelei.

Game 15 — vs. CLEVELAND, MetLife Stadium, Sunday, Dec. 22, 1 p.m.

■ Jets trail overall series 12-8 and trail Browns at home by 4-2. Their last home win was by 24-21 in their 1990 home opener.

■ Rex Ryan, whose Ravens played Browns twice a year, will coach first home game as Jets HC vs CLE after winning at CLE 26-20 in OT in ’10.

■ Jets will face 1st-year HC Rob Chudzinski for first time, although Chud was Browns TEs coach in ’04 (Jets win @ CLE) and OC in ’07 (Browns win @ NYJ).

■ Green & White’s revamped OL will try to aid passing game by keeping Browns 1st-round DE Barkevious Mingo out of the pocket

Game 16 — @ MIAMI, Sun Life Stadium, Sunday, Dec. 29, 1 p.m.

■ Jets lead all-time series 49-44-1, but 1998-2008 run, when they won 17 of 21, is over. They’ve lost 2 of the last 3, 3 of 5, 6 of 9.

■ Yet they’ve fared well in South Florida. They won last yr 23-20 on Nick Folk’s 33-yd FG in OT and have taken 2 of the last 3, 5 of 7 at Sun Life.

■ Jets wrapped up their RS schedule vs Dolphins in ’96, ’03, ’08 and ’11 and lost all 4. But in ’91 they won at MIA and made the playoffs.

■ WR Clyde Gates, drafted by MIA in ’11, had best game as a pro vs ‘Fins last October: 7 catches for 82 yds, 2 KO returns for 63 yds.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

146 Responses to “4th-Qtr Schedule: It’s a Wrap at Miami”

1. By IRA on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Like Randy wrote this is where the Jets can get on a run and maybe win 3-4. I think this stretch will make or break if Rex is back. My gut says he is and they finish strong!
    GO JETS!!!!
    BTW those 2 runs by Johnson and McFadden still make me shake my head. The McFadden run was much more impressive than Johnson’s.
    Prediction the Jets will be playing in Mia with the division on the line for the Fish. How sweet it would be to knock them off.

2. By IRA on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Can’t understand why we have struggled at home vs the Browns. 07 was a nasty rain game with J-Co playing with a cast and playing well. Clemens couldn’t get the job done. The 02 game was a killer. If i recall the Jets had a big halftime lead to let it melt away and lose a close 24-21 game. Its payback time. And lets not forget the Chris Baker game @ Cle were we got a real bad call.

3. By scjoe on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

It is way to early to predict anything for the 2013 season, just to many things to consider, injuries, suspensions, “arrests” sad, but true. But with that being said, and with all things considered, I will predict the AFC East finishing up this way, 1-Miami, 2-NE, 3 NYJ, 4- Buff. Couldn’t even give a ballpark figure of the records at this pont.

4. By kleckofan on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Keeping the long term picture in mind (this will not be a banner year) I still hate to have to play Miami on the last week of the season. Don’t know why, but it just seems they get “up” for us more than we do for them, regardless of coaches, records, and implications. The division will be interesting given NE’s need to overhaul their passing game (we will not have to be tortured by the Human Gnat Wes Welker this yr), injured Gronk and incarcerated Hernandez. Miami will be very good on D again, but Tannehill’s progress will be everything. All that said, four games against non-playoff teams w a winning percentage of .359 has got to be promising.

5. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

I have the Jets finishing 7 & 9 with Geno Smith taking over at the bye. I have the troops rallying around the new QB & the Jets winning 4 or 5 of there last 7.

6. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

I have the Jets beating the Bills, Miami, Browns, Raiders & Bucs at home thats 5. I have them beating 2 of these 3 on the road the Titans, Bills & Panthers. That is 7 wins. I have us being 3 & 6 at the bye Sanchez gets benched. Geno takes over & the Jets win 4 or 5 of there last 7. We go into 2014 with a good D a potential good QB for the future & with Holmes & Sanchez off the books TONS of money to spend in free agency next year.

7. By Ronbo on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Oh great! Todays bleacher report has a post on Oday Oboeusi (our 5th rd pick from Md.) apparently shooting off his mouth at a Muslim extremist meeting against Isreal. The question has to be; dont teams and the league discuss this type of unacceptable behavior with these kids at the ‘rookie symposium’s ? Hard to believe this kid could be this stupid as he is trying to become a member of a team which happans to be located in the worlds most famous melting pot! Randy doesn’t like us to use derogatory adjetives when discussing people here but I cant think of any better term for someone who uses such little common sense?

8. By IRA on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    I hope the report you mentioned above is not true. If so then we are talking about something that is not going to sit well with a lot of people including myself.
    Hope somebody can clarify this report and find out what was said.

9. By IRA on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Getting back to football my pre-camp predictions for the AFC are Mia, Den, Hou and Cincy winning their divisions with KC and Balt being the WC’s. In the NFC I have GB, Dallas, Atl and Sea as division winners with SF and Minn as the WC’s. I have a Den vs GB Super Bowl with Denver winning it.

10. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 10, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I hope this isn’t true, although, I’m sure it came from a reliable source, I won’t say if it is or isn’t,what’s sad, all these kids getting in trouble this year alone I’m sorry to say I’m more likely to believe then not, given these kids lack of respect for law, team, contracts. teammates, pride etc.etc, back in the day I would say it’s more likely not , I fear this is the sign of the times and we’re just seeing the tip of the iceberg.. Proof, how many players I’m not sure, have been in some sort of altercation, arrested drunk driving, under the influence, shootings , knifes, abusing women, What I am sure of it’s more in this one year then ever before. betting more players in this year then any 2-3 year period in history

11. By SCfromNY on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

I have to go with scjoe’s division finish. BUT it, as usual, will be all about the QB. If Tannihill progresses nicely I see Miami wrestling the division from NE. The Jets stand a chance IF Smith progresses well, Holmes comes back. Hill has a huge improvement, and we add at least one quality WR like Braylon or a quality cut from another team. A lot of if’s.

You will notice I said nothing about the D which I figure will be find if the O can give them some rest. Also I do not see a Wild Card coming from the East or West. So for playoffs you will have to win the division.

12. By IRA on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Jets West starts today and really if anything its just a few days for a group to hangout,bond and do a few workouts. Now does Geno show up? I understand it mightbe a bit uncomfortable for him but i think he needs to show up to show his teamates that he is a leader and can handle this type of adversity if you want to call it that. I still feel its Geno’s job to lose and if he can’t start from week one and has to wait until midseason or later to take over well then you can make the argument that they wasted a high 2nd rd pick and could’ve filled one of their major holes on the offensive side of the ball like a WR or TE. You know Idzik is keeping his fingers crossed that Geno can handle camp and compete with Mark and win this job.

13. By Frank on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Ira like you I will be outraged if Oday is involved in this type of behavior. Let’s get the facts before over reacting. Having said that I have never used this forum to make any political statements. There is no doubt under the current administration the “criminal element” in our society feels emboldened especially with the corrupt and cultural divide established by them and spearheaded by a highly political justice department who doesn’t enforce our laws, punish the perpsand engages the worst characters in the world. There has been a complete breakdown in our cultural moral compass in this country and its being played out in the media every day. More NFL arrests yesterday I am so sick and tired of all this garbage.

14. By Frank on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Spicer this team will be lucky if it wins 4 games this year. With the worst QB situation in the league and no playmakers on offense we will be setting records for futility on that side of the ball. The D as last year is going to statistically look better as usual but that will be more a function of teams playing more conservatively with no fear of our O.
    Last year I predicted a 4-12 season I am doing it again. I really hope we finish at the bottom so we can actually be in a position to draft a franchise QB.

15. By IRA on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Frank, You are so right now Dennard gets busted last night for a DUI or something else. The NFL has a MAJOR problem on its hands and Goodell who i am not a fan of is totally lost on what to do. He hasn’t even dealt with Dennard going to jail a year ago after punching an officer in the face in a bar i believe. Oh i forgot he is too busy trying to get a team in London and playing a SB there. Thats more important. I am starting to get sick and tired of this garbage and if it continues just might not support the NFL and watch anymore. Would rather go to a high school game and watch kids play than some of these thugs.

16. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Well say hello to Alfonso Dennard, NE Corner back the latest in the nightmare we call the NFL, He was once again arrested yesterday on Dui charges, Now, I’m guessing these kids and some fans here going by past comments I’ve heard here at the radar, figure this is not such big deal, being it’s happening at an alarming rate., thing is he’s still on parole for assaulting a police officer, even with that he was given another chance by being allowed to continue playing football which confirms what I’ve said in response to comments like, these are just kids they deserve another chance no need to punish them harshly .Baloney, it’s time to start handing gown some serious punishment to these criminals before they end up in A-Hernandez’s shoes

17. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

cont.When will these kids get it, DUI, DWI, running with gang members shooting folks, abusing women, fighting in bars, riding in cars with loaded guns smoking weed or PCP, IS AGAINST THE LAW. I’ll say it once again it should be a cause in every NFL contract, any trouble any kid gets into after signing said contract it becomes automatically null and void never to play in or on another team in the NFL PERIOD, time to show what good parents and before government involvement into family have used as a rule in disciplining their children, tough love make them pay price enough,. There is a serious need to get the attention on these out of control, lack of respect, hurray for me and forget you kids, ENOUGH ALREADY

18. By wayne on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

There are no differences betw the present administration and the previous one. It’s all perception based on whether you like the figurehead or not…..The crooks who created the mess and the last admin that abetted them are mostly still in place because if we put them all away there’d be no banking system…….As for crime situation, crime happens every day….Get a scanner…..And they didn’t start happening yesterday…..or or 5 years ago…….Said I wouldn’t comment bout What I expect of this team till year is done…..that promise remains…….Y’all already know what I want………..MJV

19. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Frank, I know you for a very long time & respect what it is that you have to say but. With the Bills, Miami, Browns, Raiders & Bucs at home & the Titans, Bills & Panthers on the road. I would be beyond shocked if this team did not win at least 6 games. I see it as the D & O line will be at least as good as last year. We have a better RB than last year. Last year we had Kerley, Hill & Cumberland at the skill positions. This year we could have the trio of Holmes, Winslow & Kerley. With Kerley going from the #1 to the #3 option I think that is a significant upgrade for us.

20. By Ronbo on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

FRANK, great job bro! You are spot on in your above post. Sadly, the Oday story appears to be true as you can google this Oday Oboushi guy and see he does infact have political affilations that may be a problem for both himself and the Jets down the road. IRA & M/J/Vet, Sorry to say after I went back and re-read yesterdays bleacher report it is a lot worse than I originally thought.It was written by Joe Kaufman on July 9th in “the daily Mailer (frontPage Magazine-http://frontpagemag.com) for those who want to see for themselves. i cant imagine this guy haveing a long Jet career if this is really how he feels ?

21. By IRA on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

I think the Jets have to really have a sit down with Oday and see if the reports are true. And if they are and he wants to go down that road i think it would be in the best interest for the Jets to cut bait on him. Can’t have that type of stuff around here.
    Wonder after the Pats cut Dennard which will happen which team will pick him up?. You know some team will take a chance on him even if he is going to be susupended for 4 games or not.
    Tom, Agree i think the Jets are good for 6 wins if things go right and who knows maybe they find away to get to 7 or so.

22. By Ronbo on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

TOM SPICER, I hate to disagree with guys like you, Danny,IRA and Frank Jet Fan64 because I love how posistive you guys always are.But un-like you i dont see the O-line situation as being any better(yet) as none of the new guys has proven anything to this point.Ivory on paper is an upgrade but he has a long medical history thats scary at best.Again the “if word is being used a lot here as “if Holmes is healthy,”if Winslow can stay healthy afe big “if’s” that nobody can guarantee at this point.I think Franks probably right about this years record bro.

23. By since shea on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

I cant believe so many people are somewhat writing off the Pats. Never underestimate Brady. He will make whoever his receivers are look like all pro’s. Brady, like Eli to some extent, will make whatever tight ends there are look like the best ever. Where Brady doesnt impact, Bellichick will. As long as Tom is there, I believe the division is theirs. As for Tannehill, I am not convinced that he is the real deal. As for us, Sporano was a monumental blunder. That said, we will be an improved team this year on both sides of the ball. We could beat out Miami for #2 in the East. Finally, while I dont condone breaking the law, from DUI to murder, its almost refreshing to see the circus leave NJ and go to Boston.

24. By sal on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

How in the world does everbody thinking Miami is going to take the division.A -they lost there best player on the offensive line B no R.Bush and there D is weaker.All those new recievers with a 2nd yr qb Dont see it.Dont count us out of anything our D will keep us in more games than not.We have a much better OC & QB coach not like those high schools coaches we had last yr.Thinks will be better than people predict.

25. By Chicago Bob on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Granted, there is still a huge question mark at QB however MM is ahead of Sparano when it comes to running an offense. RB’s are better than last year and basically the WR & TE positions are about the same. D will be better than last year with a better pass rush and more overall speed. Fish go on a free agent spending spree and all of a sudden people have them winning the division – don’t be surprised to see them disappoint this year – how often do you see a team go on a spree like that and have them not contend the following year? If our special teams can contribute, .500 is not out of the question. I saw a Bears team quarterbacked by the great Rex Grossman go to the Super Bowl not too long ago due to a killer D and solid special teams.

26. By IRA on Jul 11, 2013 | Reply

Well Geno didn’t show up. I can understand it so I looked at it a few ways. One he passed on a good way to show everybody he is a leader and can handle adversity. Two maybe he and Mark are not really getting along or three the coaches advised him to stay away. I know one thing if it was me I would have gone and dealt with it the best I could.

27. By IRA on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

The Jets should be about 6 mill or so under the cap after they sign Geno, Milliner and Richardson. I think Wilkerson will be an All-Pro for some time starting this year. It might be wise to address his rookie contract and sign him to a long term deal at some point in the next few months. They are the 11th best team right now with the cap and after some big cuts after the 013 season the Jets will be in great shape. So now could be the time to get the Wilkerson deal done.

28. By IRA on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, Respect your opinion about the OL but i have to disagree with you. I think once the OL starts to get in sync during camp i really believe it will be the strength of the offense very much like in 09 and 010. Key is that Colon or Peterman can give us 16 games or winters can step in and start for either one. Howard will only be better and Brick and Mangold are top OL. Plus Devlin is a very good OL coach and will have these guys ready to play.
    GO JETS!!!!

29. By SQUIRREL on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

i guess we are waiting to see on WR. Holmes does not look like he will be ready. I would love to see us pick up braylon Edwards. let’s face it Mark will be the starting QB and at this point rightly so. you know he has a good rapport with Edwards. Edwards, hill, and kerley and Cumberland and winslow = not bad.

30. By scjoe on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

Ira, Geno Smith once again showed his immaturity by choosing not to attend Jets West. It was in his best interest to attend if for nothing else then to put himself in a bonding position with the offensive unit. Bad move. Selfish move! As for Oday? From what I have read (multiple sources) it appears to be a smear campaign. I believe that is how it plays out. Not that I believe this guy will a factor any time soon.

31. By scjoe on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

Chicago Bob/Sal. No one “dislikes” the fish more then I do, but they did more then go on a FA spending spree. Not that the people they did sign will hurt, they will help. They also drafted well. A Dion Jordan- Cameron Wake combination could be lethal, and Lamar Miller will more then make up for the loss of Bush, factor in ANY Tannyhill progress along with the addition of Wallace and “on paper” they can take the division. Yes, I know, games are not played on paper, but the potential is definitely there. I will stand by my prediction.

32. By scjoe on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

Ron, re: the O Line? Like everything else, we can talk about it all day long, the fact of the matter is it comes down to 2 or 3 great big IF’s! 1- Colon, 2- Peterman, 3- Howard. That is 3/5ths of the line. The only thing we know for sure “so far” is that Mangold and Brick will do their part. In my eyes Colon and Peterman were available for a reason. Howard? Does he progress or regress?

33. By kleckofan on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

IRA agree wholeheartedly about signing Mo Wilk long term now. Great point.

Reading all accounts of the Oday story leaves me less than convinced that the guy is a liability or a fascist. Please read the piece in The Nation about it (the piece is written by a Jewish writer).
    Whoever said Miami has no pass rush needs to rethink that statement. The guys with the hands in the dirt down there are better than ours.

I do believe that Marty will improve the O; it’d be hard not to.

34. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

scjoe, we are on the same page pertaining to G-Smith, I said from the beginning just from his childish statements made by before being a Jet one day. he will continue with his immaturity interfering with his development here.. not to mention what I believe he is in the mind set some one owes him something ..He’s going to be a head ache.. I say bench him until he proves deserving to be in the NFL.. giving worthy hard working Kids willing to learn and succeed without all the me me me

35. By kleckofan on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

We can’t possibly know all the back story on Geno not doing JetsWest. Is everyone invited? Was he? I understand this to be Mark’s deal, how could Geno possibly believe his presence would be anything but a distraction? Brunell attended as a mentor, McElroy not as a real threat to Mark. Sanchez has said publicly that “in a straight up competition he wins”. I’m not a huge Geno fan, but let camp be the proving ground, not his green room behavior at the draft or his attending an event created by “Mr Leader” himself, Mark Sanchez.
    I wouldn’t go to see Mark put on a fiasco of team unity and mock leadership if you flew me down there.

36. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

Geno is training in Florida he is not there on vacation. He trains at IMG academy & is from Florida. It is not like he is sitting on the beach sipping pina coladas. What is he going to do go to this Jet west camp so Sanchez can show him how to turn the ball over. It makes no difference if he goes there or not.

37. By wayne on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

There is absolutely no reason to go to cookout west…..For all the trips out there, this team has shown no unity when things get tight and it has done nothing to cement Mr. Sanchez as a leader…..Mr. Smith is here to compete. Not to be indoctrinated as MS’s caddy…..I like the fact he has decided to make that clear….THIS ISN’T BAND CAMP….IT’S BUSINESS……NOTHING PERSONAL..Talk of this being sign of a lack of maturity on the part of Geno is simply reconstituted pablum fed to us by the press, which was fed to them by someone who got fired as an agent, probably……These guys are being paid to compete…..I can think of some pretty bleeping good QBs, didn’t go camping together, didn’t like each other, but made each other better.

38. By walt on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

I do not believe that Stephen Hill is any where 100 per cent healthy or ready to step up to be the number one receiver on the team. I do not think it is wise for the Jets to put him in a position for he which he is not ready for yet. I think it would be wise for the Jets to put Hill on IR let him heal completely and sharpen his skills. They could sign Braylon Edwards or someone else to fill in for Hill this year having Hill ready for a break out season next year.

39. By walt on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

This issue about Oday has made me wonder how well the Jets check out their draft selections. When the Jets were able to select Oday in the middle of the fifth round I thought they were very fortunate as most people had him rated as a second or third round selection. Now I have read that he is allegedly very closely associated with extremely radical organizations that allegedly advocate violence. I speculate that maybe Oday was still available at the middle of the fifth round because the other teams did their homework on Oday and the Jets did not. Fortunately the Jets were not relying on Oday to be an integral part of the team this year. The Jets are not in a position that they can afford to make stupid mistakes.

40. By Tom Spicer on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

I was just listening to espn radio 1050 home of the Jets & they said McElroy & Simms did not go to Jet West Camp either. Does that make them immature?

41. By IRA on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

scjoe,
    I wouldn’t call Geno not going immature it was his choice and I am sure he had good reasons not to go. That’s his choice like I said if I was in his shoes I would go just to show I am a leader. Different strokes for different folks. He didn’t do anything wrong or does it make him any less of a player. If he was hitting the playbook and studying he probably got more from that then going anyway.

42. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 12, 2013 | Reply

Spicer., No disrespect, you’re truly unbelievable are you actually willing to go down that road once again. going to bat for Smith, and mocking Sanchez as the villain Smith the white Night, I’d very much like to introduce you to a good Therapist.. This kid has already shown us fans his backside along with his teammates and Management, I do realize you put lots effort into facts, stats pertaining to Jets sometimes it’s downright impressive, but Bro you’re weak on opinion when it comes to QBs

43. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

TOM, I do not believe that because Smith, McElroy and Simms did not go to Jet West Camp that it makes them immature. I feel there are issues with MS between all the QB’s. It would more then likely been a good thing for them to go and get as many reps in that they could have. I feel MS is the most immature of all the JET players based on his YOU TUBE video which caused these issues with MS and possibly the rest of the players…

44. By ronbo on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

IRA, Apparently you misunderstood my post concerning the o-line? I was simply saying many here were prematurely declaring that position as a strength when in fact that is yet to be determined.Again, if’s & buts. To date,they have accomplished zero as a unit.As for the Oday situation, I was just the first one to note it here.Obviously there is some back tracking going on now in his camp but again, where there is smoke,there is usually fire so my guess is there is at least some degree of involvement on his part. Believe me, I am not a political guy! But in this day & age there is no place for this type of behavior. Certainly not on out Jets!

45. By ronbo on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, I think your right concerning Geno not attending Marks deal out in Callie. First off if you look at who is actually out there most of them wont even be Jets this year. Secondly, I think Ira’s on to something as its becoming apparent they don’t get along.And lastly, and perhaps most importantly, based on Marks performance the past two years, how much does Geno really want to learn from Mark? How not to throw an interception? I can see some people’s points here (like S.C.Joe’s concerning his lack of maturity, but as Kerley, Holmes,(though injured he could offer coaching help)and Winslow aren’t there either i dont think he’s missing much bonding in this case.Did anyone actually see who actually is there? Not exactly a great group.

46. By wayne on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

Mark Sanchez from the beginning Was given the keys to a car he was not capable of driving……and when they took one snap from him in practice he behaved like a petulant child…….ONE SNAP!….He has been the poster child of entitlement….And I begged here for some real competition to be brought in to no avail……Now he’s guaranteeing IN THE PAPERS, typical Jets way, that he’s going to be the starter………Well, duh, Mr. #5 overall pick of the 2009 draft….MR FRANCHISE QB!!!!!! You’re supposed to be the starter!!!!!! If you can’t beat out a 2nd round rookie, then you have my condolences,U R done……….I am rooting for GQ to start……He’s already proclaimed it……….claimed it ……IN THE PAPERS. So be it.

47. By wayne on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

Mark Sanchez was given a first class ride with all the bells and whistles……I want the same for the next QB of the New York Football Jets……I want for Geno Smith to succeed and so do Jets management, because they are not looking to draft a QB next year, I assure you of that………At the end of this disaster coming, trade everybody you can get a pick or a can of soda for………Stockpile picks to reload and if necessary to get JETS HANDS ON YOU KNOW WHO. AND HE AIN’T NO QB……By the way, where are Brady, Eli, Peyton and Rodgers holding their cookouts?…..Geno Smith is saying Comp has arrived……..I AM LIKING THAT……If that finally turns GQ into a competent NFL QB, guess what? The NY football Jets and their fan base BENEFITS

48. By IRA on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

Very happy to read that the Oday deal was a non-story. Like I said we have to wait for all the facts to be put together before myself or others over react.

49. By scjoe on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

Simms and McElroy were not high draft picks, neither one is guaranteed a spot on the 53 man roster, there presence at Jets West is hoo hum, unlike 2nd round draft pick Geno Smith! They know that!

50. By scjoe on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

Walt, I agree in theory about WR Stephen Hill. He is not ready physically OR technically, but I don’t think IR is the answer, maybe the pup to start the season. Also, judging by his rookie performance, it shouldn’t be to difficult to replace him.

51. By since shea on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

I didnt want to comment on the ridiculous allegations that Oday is a radical anti-semite. Take these assertions from their source. Front Page Magazine is a publication that is racially biased at best. Its a step above a political propaganda rag. Adam Waksman should be fired and barred from journalism for building on unfounded accusations. So should Jonathan Mael for allowing his biased emotions to write that Oday is like the accused murderer Hernandez? He apologized. Waksman has not. Abe Foxworth said there is nothing on record of Oday behaving as accused. Foxworth said being Palestinian doesnt mean youre an anti semite. Shame on the idiots who shape public thinking.

52. By ronbo on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

IRA, here’s another interesting tid- bit for you, Fan Sided Daley had an post concerning each teams quality of starting players. The categories were Elite,High quality,above avg,avg,below avg and poor. Mangold & Mo Wilk got elite, Brick Hi-quality,Kerley, Holmes, Cro & Ivory above avg. the rest got avg or below except M.s who got the only poor rating. I guess the questions becomes, if these ratings are accurate, how do we expect to win the 8 plus games I’m seeing predicted here?

53. By ronbo on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

Walt, no way Hill is going on I.R as that would put him out for the whole season which means he could not even practice.Hey, if you can practice you wont get better by resting.They may put him on the pup list which would enable the Jets to bring him back at some point during the season. KLECKO FAN, I’m not sure but I read Holmes,Kerley, Winslow plus none of the other Q.B’s were there either? I’m not sure if that’s accurate but if it is what does that say about Mark’s credibility with his team mates? Again, I haven’t seen a list of who is or isn’t there but if none of the projected prominent players are there it does not speak well for Mark.

54. By Chicago Bob on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

I think this whole “Jets West” thing has been blown out of proportion – it has done absolutely nothing for this team since Sanchez started it so who the heck cares? I do not blame Smith for taking a pass as based upon Sanchez inability to take control of the offense, he is probably dancing around with his pants down to his ankles. MS has had his opportunity to take control of this team and he has failed miserably – time for someone else to move forward – MS is not the answer and hopefully Smith can provide some hope for the future. Anyone who believes “jets West” is an answer to our offensive problems most likely believes in the Easter Bunny.

55. By walt on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

As far as Geno not attending Jets West and someone who is very interested in the Jets I am very much more interested in who is actually attending Jets West than who is not attending. Such information seems to be top secret because I am not able to find such information. Can anyone help me.

56. By walt on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

I wish to sincerely apologize to Oday. I just read that he has refuted that he has any radical believes and he hopes that the palestinians and Isralians can resolve their differences and live together in peace and prosperity. I can run with that. I just hope that people realize what a tremendous amount of courage it took for a person of Palestinian decent to make that statement. I have no doubt that the Jets are getting a super high character guy and I wish him all the success on and off the field.

57. By IRA on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

Everybody take a deep breath. No surprise Hill will be on a snap count during camp. Something is going on with his knee and they are taking a cautious and smart approach. Not sure what he had done but if he is getting water on the knee that is not a good sign. So like I and many have said they need to sign a Veteran WR like Edwards or Doucet. Just as much as I want to see White and a few other young WR’s get a shot I think it’s critical for both Geno and Mark to have a few veterans to throw to in camp. I like Gates’ speed and Obomanu’s size but how can you have them as the 1 and 2 provided then keep Kerley in the slot? Holmes will not be ready to go and now Hill has issues. I expect a WR to be signed before they start camp if the money is right

58. By IRA on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,
    Trust me on this I have complete confidence that the OL will be one of the better ones in the NFL this year. If I am wrong well then I will eat my words when proven wrong. The key is they stay healthy especially Colon who will bring a nasty attitude to this group that has been missing for awhile.
    And for the grades I agree with most except for Cro. He has taken his game to a higher level and will even be better this year. Sure he will get burnt on a few plays but overall he is a top 10 CB hands down. As long as Bush steps up and Coples provides some much needed pass rush from either OLB or DL along with Barnes I expect some big things from this D this year and they will keep them in most games.

59. By IRA on Jul 13, 2013 | Reply

The D will be fun to watch now its up to MM to get the most out of this offense no matter who the QB is. A very strong running attack along with a short and safe passing attack and some shots downfield to keep D’s honest and cut down on turnovers and this team will be better than most people think. 6 wins is the safe pick and maybe with a few breaks they win a few more.
    GO JETS!!!!

60. By Tom Spicer on Jul 14, 2013 | Reply

McElroy & Simms were not high draft picks so there presence at Jets West is ho hum? But last year McElroy should have been given a shot to be the starter? If that is not double talking / back tracking I don’t know what is? They are not guaranteed to be on the 53 man roster? 1 of the is 100% going to be on the 53 man roster & the other one will be on the practice squad! Holmes, Kerley, McKnight & Powell all were not there does that make them immature? Or does someone need to admit the spoke to quickly?

61. By Tom Spicer on Jul 14, 2013 | Reply

Mike the EX Jet, You need the shrink with every other post being about how bad these kids are no a days. 1 I did not know you were the next saint 2 take away the Hernandez case & some of these guys are doing the same things the players did years ago but now 2 things make it seem more prevalent. 1 there is so much media coverage now compared to back in the day that EVEYTHING is under the microscope. Half the 1986 Met team would have been in jail if they played in 2013. But because they played in 1986 they were a bunch of hard partying guys DOUBLE STANDARD! 2 Years ago a athlete would get pulled over for DUI & some cops would let the guy go / drive him home / call him a cab. Now they lock him up & call the newspaper & let them know so it can

62. By Tom Spicer on Jul 14, 2013 | Reply

be all over the news. Another example Joe Willie he loved to enjoy a drink or 2 with a lady now & than. So from what you are telling me is that he did not drive around multiple MULTIPE times under the influence? Answer YEA RIGHT! Take your preaching & bring it somewhere else cause I am one of the guys who are sick of it. Mike THE EX JET!

63. By SCfromNY on Jul 14, 2013 | Reply

Jets West has not done anything for anyone the past 2 years. Sanchez probably thinks he will get more locker room support from attendees. McElroy went last year, I am not sure about Simms. Poor attendance is just another reflection of the fact that 90% of the team is done with Sanchez.

Years ago when the original Cuomo was running for reelection there was a chant ABC (Anyone But Cuomo). I feel the same way as that about Sanchez. I would rather see the team perform poorly under McElroy or even Simms while waiting for Smith than see Sanchez under center.

64. By Ronbo on Jul 14, 2013 | Reply

WALT, Again, I agree 100% . This Jets west thing has run its course and from the list of guys i saw it reads more like the upcoming cut lists we will all be reading in the near future. Gus like Hazelton,J.White,and other assorted undrafted F/A’s. None of the guys expected to contribute this year were on the list I saw earlier this week. No Holmes,No Kerley,no Winslow!

65. By 49ersfan4LIFE on Jul 14, 2013 | Reply

Some of u Jets fans kill me with all the talk about Geno Smith taking Sanchez’s job and everything ending up like a fairytale. Not long ago the man guided the team to back to back AFC Championship appearances and now the team is in need of some changes and its not the QB. First of all the man in charge needs to kick Rex out of the building, a move long over due and build the team back to the AFC contenders they where before. Geno Smith is a good athlete but will never be a QB who leads his team to a playoff game let alone a Championship appearance and if by some miracle he finds success with any team, not going to happen but if so his career will be in the same ballpark of Vicks career. I’r

66. By SCfromNY on Jul 14, 2013 | Reply

In the past I have disagreed with Spicer a lot, especially the now gone Sanchez love. But his thoughts on the player’s behavior now and in the past are right on. So much was swept under the rug and now cameras, cell phones, and anyone looking for 15 minutes of fame will catch any indiscretion and the media will pounce on it relentlessly.

Back in the stone age after a Jet home game you could go to Bill’s Meadowbrook, hang out with players, and buy them drinks which they gulped profusely. If the police were interested they could arrest half the team as they got into their cars. But didn’t happen.

67. By IRA on Jul 14, 2013 | Reply

Its time to move on from all this Jets West talk and get ready for some real football. Camp is where you see the difference between the men and boys. One thing with the new CBA in place and coaches so afraid of getting some of their best players hurt the hitting and tackling is not the way it use to be. And to me besides the fact that they are looking to strip the ball and cause turnovers the amount of missed tackles in the NFL is in large part because they don’t practice the way they use to. Those two a days and in pads sometimes for both were really tough.

68. By scjoe on Jul 14, 2013 | Reply

Yes, McElroy should have been given a shot at the starting job last season, but THAT is more of a statement about the guy who was! THAT, is not double talk THAT is NOT back tracking! And NO! No one has to admit that he spoke to quickly!! Except maybe a guy who has supported possibly thee worse QB of our lifetime for 4 years running!! Know the facts!

69. By IRA on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Watched Hard Knocks last night and its really a shame they had that bad 1st half in the Pitt AFC Title Game. They were a SB team that year and after 011 and 012 you really forget how good a team they had and i still think they would’ve won the SB that year if they had beat Pitt.

70. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, Please you really need to stop missing your appointments, Name one year back in the day especially in Willie Joe’s day players have been involves in so many violent crimes,Yes there was always one incident here and there, you and anyone else knew what point I was making..and I’m not speaking of.Alcohol yes we all know it’s not legal not while driving, none the less it’s a legal substance here in the US available to any adult, even a 3 year old knows this,So stop with the drama to spin your point, But as usual, your head is in the sand, like with Sanchez from 2009 until you finally woke up.Lets hope Smith becomes a good QB for us we all want that, But Let me remind you he hasn’t accomplished nothing what he has shown immaturity

71. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

I will suppourt WHOEVER the Jet QB is PERIOD until he proves he is not the answer because DAH HELLO. Unlike some others who have agendas I AM A JET FAN PERIOD!

72. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

The facts are this YOU said a guy is immarture becase he did not go to Jets West. The facts are 11 guys went there out of 53. That means either 42 other guys are immature OR YOU ARE WRONG! The facts are half of those 11 guys that went will not even make the team! The facts are yes I suppourted the Jet QB & always will until they prove 100% that they are not the answer because I am a Jet fan! The final fact is YOU said Kerley is as good as Wes Welker who is a hall of famer meanwhile the guy had 1 okay season in his life. Now that statement by you is 10 times worse than me suppourting Sanchez cause I am a Jet fan. When your statement is OUTRIGHT crazy similar to your Smith is immarture for not going to Jets West statement. So you can bring up

73. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Sanchez till the cows come home BUT your Wes Welker statement & your Jets West statement ARE 10 TIMES WORSE!

74. By scjoe on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

SCfromNY, I have to take a mid ground approach here. Yes, there was always the behind the scene goings on around sports, but not nearly to the point of which it is today. Yes, there was the excessive drinking, I saw it first hand in a Ft Lauderdale sports bar that most of the NY Yankees frequented when I lived in Ft Lauderdale and they trained in Ft Lauderdale. But how many “more serious issues” (Hernandez, Vick, Ray Lewis, etc) were there then, compared to today? Social media or not, how many did we here about then? Things have changed, for the worse, no doubt!

75. By scjoe on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Ira, it’s a slow time of the year for bloggers, so you talk about anything that is out there, right now Jets West is out there. I do agree with you on the fact that the new CBA has definitely impacted the game in an adverse way, no doubt! I think it’s purpose (to lower the risk of injury) has failed and backfired miserably.

76. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

ESPN New York reports the Jets are “toying with the idea” of using Geno Smith as a “change-of-pace quarterback” if he doesn’t win the starting job.
    This sounds like a leftover idea from the spit-ballin’ Tony Sparano “era.” Coach Rex Ryan first mentioned the idea last month. Per reporter Rich Cimini, Smith would have a package of “mainly” read-option plays that could “exploit his speed.” Smith is a plus athlete, but stayed confined to the pocket at West Virginia. Learning the read-option as a rookie backup has “failure” written all over it. The possible experiment will become a moot point if Smith beats out Mark Sanchez in camp.

77. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Teh above post is a terrible idea. If Smith wins the job outright he plays if not he sits the bench none of this rotating QB stuff it does not work!

78. By kleckofan on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

I’ve seen a few apologies here for jumping the gun on Oday (Ira, Walt), but the incident should be a lesson to everyone about getting all the facts. In this case, reading one or two more articles would have killed this story immediately
    Spice, agree on the microscope view put on athletes and celebs. If all the funny stories you’ve heard about Mickey Mantle happened today he’d be out of baseball! But I do believe that the type of violations happening have escalated, societal influences?

BTW, for what its worth, Winslow did attend Mark’s cook out. Guys on NFL Network believe Idzik’s one blatant screw-up so far is the WR situation. It was a known problem and not addressed.

79. By ronbo on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

49ersfanFORLIFE, thanks, but no thanks! I don’t think any body here cares what you think as you obviously don’t even know much about your own team! First of all, you guys would have never made it to the super bowl had you not replaced your version of Mark Sanchez (Alex Smith) with a dynamic play maker like Kaepernick.
    I doubt Geno Smith will turn out as well as your guy but at least he offers some hope.Sanchez started a total of 16 games over two seasons at USC and never put up the numbers Smith did.You may be correct that Smith is not the answer, but we as Jet fans are well aware of what Sanchez can do and his 50 turn overs the past two seasons suggest he is clearly not the answer here!

80. By ronbo on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

IRA, I’m really happy you have confidence in our O-line but again, your post is full of “if’s & but’s! Both Colon & Peterman ranked in the bottom of the rankings after last season(well below both Slauson & Moore. As for Winters, he has no experience at G as he was a tackle at a relatively small school.Hey, again,” if” they play well your prediction will likely come true. I just hate the idea there are so many’ifs’ on this team. I know we all want to do well, but I’m think’n you 6 win prediction is a little optimistic at this point. Things can change of course,but the WR,S, OLB & Q.B positions scare the crap out of me.

81. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/york-jets-already-seem-intent-screwing-geno-smith-142949939.html. Read this article about the Jets making Smith a change of pace QB it just about sums up how good the idea is!

82. By 41 year fan, John on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

I have no false illusions about The current Jets being successful ..They will not …They are perhaps the worst organization in football….I have 0 faith in anything about this offense ..HIRE BILL PARCELLS …We need a ground up full restoration ….If this was a hot rod , we would need a frame off deal ….

83. By 41 year fan, John on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

We need Braylon Edwards back …Then at least we would have 1 good player on offense ….This offense has nothing , NOTHING…It is not going to be fun watching them run for their lives….

84. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Hey Spicer, How about using a smart approach like Rex and company,s thinking Smith being a role player player instead of throwing him to the wolves like they did with Sanchez seeing if he has Talent enough maturity enough to run the team, He makes good and shines Sanchez is gone Smith is in all is well and on track going forward he fails and can’t handle the responsibility like Many tops QB picks Makes a lot of sense, more sense then whining about how he’s being treated before knowing what we have or Haven’t,Try and digest that some OK Tom

85. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Oops typos I meant it all makes sense, if he has talent enough Sanchez is gone then all in good in Jets nation moving forward

86. By IRA on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Tom,
    I saw them run a few read option plays with Geno in mini-camp and i thought he wasn’t comfortable with it. If they want to run that then they should use Kerley or McKnight but not Geno. If they work on it with Geno then every snap he takes in read option is one less he can take as a pocket QB. I wouldn’t mess with it.

87. By ronbo on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, while I think you assessment of Geno appearing in some convoluted “read option” package is spot on lets remember the 49ers did the same thing with Colin Kaepernick during his rookie season and had good results. That opportunity show-cased his ability’s which ultimately led to him getting the job full time.Now, I realize Smith unlike Kaepernick, did not run the pistol offense and has little to no experience in the read-option, but he is athletic and does offer more of a run threat than any other QB on our current roster. In limited instances it might pick up a first down here or there,and if nothing else,it would force teams to spend valuable practice time preparing for it.But no,like you I don’t see it as any thing but a gimmick.

88. By kleckofan on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Rotating a bad QB and an unproven QB….brilliant.

Ira- I think the point you made about the new CBA which limits hitting in practice is a HUGE point. Performance, most notably tackling, has suffered, and injuries are no less frequent. From a labor-relations point of view, which is what I do, it was unbelievable to me that the commissioner and owners agreed to it. Negotiating a contract is about the terms and conditions of employment, but how a Company (or team) runs its business is not negotiable. For example, no Company would sit w a union and agree on how it will train its employees, or how they decide to promote. That’s policy not terms. Major gaffe by Goodell.

89. By kleckofan on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Before anyone starts bringing up examples, management can agree to anything…but there are some things they’re not even obligated to talk about.

90. By ronbo on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

KLECKO FAN, While I agree we should not rush to judge anyone, I didn’t really see anyone here jumping the gun on Oday? It was merely pointed out that there was in fact an article which made negative accusations and that if they were true it would not be a good thing. All of which are true. Now, Oday has denied these claims and I’m all for giving him the benefit of the doubt. Personally, from what I have read I seriously doubt the claims that were made but who know how much if anything that was written was true? This is one of those things I prefer to let time answer as either way the truth will at some point be told.hopefully it all turns out to be a lot of bull!

91. By SCfromNY on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Ira: I have been ranting about the championship loss at Pitt. for years and I put the blame on all the coaches. Anyone with a brain could have extrapolated that the victory over NE at NE was almost like a Jet SB. COACHES should have recognized this and pumped them up all week. It showed in the difference between the first half and second half. Yes they are pros BUT when you expend an inordinate amount of emotion it is hard to bounce back. Also I still have some broken stuff from watching the 4 goal line plays. Another huge coaching error.

Alternating QBs never works out. Didn’t last years wildcat prove that. Damn, Kerley was the best QB on the field when asked to throw from the Wildcat.

92. By IRA on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Well the Bengals did for Dunlap what I suggested last week the Jets do for Wilkerson. Dunlap had 1 year left on his rookie contract and they signed him to a long term deal for 5 years. I think the Jets are about 9 mill under and about 4 or so goes to Milliner, Richardson and Geno. Still need to sign a few players but I think they will get Wilkerson done before the start of next season. Once they release a few veterans after this year they will be well under the cap and can get this done.

93. By scjoe on Jul 15, 2013 | Reply

Speaking about “immaturity” I am not even going to waste any more time discussing remarks I may have made about any individual player 2 years ago. It’s pointless now. I commented on a player currently on the Jets roster and his immaturity issues, like it or not, they are there, if you find the maturity within yourself to discuss THAT civilly I am here, if you want to keep your head in the sand as MJV suggests, be my guest. My days of belligerent debates are over! Bye Bye!

94. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

The Jets see Chris Ivory as a poor man’s Marshawn Lynch.
    It’s a very reasonable comparison. Both are physical, violent runners that run inside and break tackles at an elite rate. The biggest difference is that Lynch has been able to sustain health while Ivory’s nicks played a role in keeping him buried on the Saints’ depth chart. The Jets’ plan should be to keep Ivory intact through August and then unleash him for 17-20 carries per game once the season starts.

95. By wayne on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

For all the soothsayers and body language experts who have decided to hold what happened in a green room one the biggest night of a young kids life against him and decided that that meant that he has a poor attitude and that he’s immature, let’s go back in time to a press conference after his first loss for one Mr. Franchise, Mark Sanchez…….Go back to that press conference if you will….How did Mark Sanchez handled that press conference after that loss? Fast forward to bootycam. Geno Smith has handled himself, in front of a microphone or camera, far better than GQ, who came from a pro style, mega program. He’s been composed and relax…….And what I like most HONEST…..He’s saying I’m not here to break bread. I want your job……..

96. By wayne on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Now, as far as who is going to be the QB for this team. It ain’t going to be decided here or in the papers. Don’t go labeling this kid unfairly, as happens historically, to people who look like him. GQ has benefited handsomely, while bungling and fumbling and stumbling with a great oppty. Whether it was his fault, there’s no question that can’t all be dropped in his lap, but it’s time someone else get a shot……With the Jets luck, it wouldn’t surprise me if it turns out the time they weren’t really trying to find that franchise guy is when he accidentally falls into their lap. Ain’t sold on Geno yet, but, WOULDN’T THAT BE NICE.

97. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, Keep it coming I love it!

98. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Frank, Where are you? How is you boy Mieziel doing? Tweeting something negative at least once every two weeks. Going late to or totally missing practices. Than being sent home cause he came to a practice HAMMERED! If Geno Smith showed bad character cause he was disappointed that he was not selected in the 1st round. What type of person is Meizeil showing that he is?

99. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

There are 3 kinds of posters on this site. There is the JOE CAPS of the world. Guys who when they are proven wrong about something they disappear never to be heard from again. There are the SCJoe’s of the world. Guys who when proven wrong about something will NEVER EVER admit that they spoke to soon or are wrong about something. They just dont have it in them to admit that they might not know something or could possibly be wrong about something. Then there are guys who when they are wrong about soemthing stand up admit it & move on!

100. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Mike The EX Jet, It has been proven time & time again that if you have 2 QBS you have no QBS. Someone broguth up Keparnick & that is a isolated incident for every Kaepernick there are 1,000 2 QB systems that did not work. Also you want to talk about Sanchez hoe did Kellen Clemens work out for you?

101. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Wayne, Yes a kid is dissapointed cause he worked hard his whole life for something & did not acheive his goal of being selected in the 1st round. The “body language experts” on this site say he is immature cause he was not happy? He is also immature cause he did not so up to a practice that 85% of the team did not go to & of the 15% that were there half of them will not make the team! But the “body language experts” will try to find anything ANYTHING possible to try to rip the kid before he ever even plays a snap. Its almost like the want him to fail. You really have to wonder are these guys even REAL Jet fans?

102. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Can Geno Smith play 1 snap before we talk negatively about him? Can he do something ON OR OFF the field that is REALLY wrong before we call him immature & stuff like that? For example has he ever been arrested NO! Is he running around with his butt hanging out like someone else we know? Is he getting sent home from practices for showing up drunk? Is he showing up late or totally missing practices? Until he does something that actually IS WRONG again ON OR OFF the field can he be given a chance?

103. By Chicago Bob on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Just happened to see Pro Football Talk.com lists Namath, Maynard, Gastineau and Martin on the Jets Mt. Rushmore. I have no problem with Namath and Maynard and while I still consider Martin more of a Patriot, I will not get into that as I know others will disagree however to put a one-dimensional player like Mark Gastineau above Joe Klecko is laughable. Klecko was a force against both the run and the pass and made it to the Pro Bowl at NG, DT & DE. It has been well documented that Gastineau retired due to the fact he knew he would fail the NFL’s new testing for steroids. Opposing players who had to block him, all consider Klecko one of the greatest they ever faced. Gastineau better than Klecko, give me a break.

104. By Ronbo on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

IRA, I think your idea to re up Mo Wilk is spot on.The kid is clearly a hard worker and like you, I do not see him as a take the money & run slacker.Excellen idea bro!Spicer, your M.Lynch C.Ivory comparison is a good one and your analysis is also spot on. I would like to politely suggest you tone down your disagreements with others here as there is such a thing as agreeing to disagree.You once accused me of “thinking i was running Randy’s Radar’ and you recently took hard runs at MJV and even S.C.Joe ? personally, i dont get it as we all enjoy the back & forth here. I just think we need to keep it cival so we dont loose more great guys like Bennett and Tom64. Just a suggestion bro.Again, its nothing personal nor should it be…

105. By Charliejet on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Oh yea, Ryan runs with the bull all right.

106. By Allan O'Dane on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Guess who’s Back?!.. Been awhile fellas…Had to cool my “jets” a bit…I’m watching this team from the sidelines…and from what I see…As long as Mark Sanchez is affilated with this team…NYJ will go nowhere….What is this garbage about putting in ” Geno Smith Plays”??? did this team learn nothing from last year with Tim Tebow? This makes no sense what-so-ever……Gimmicks are a thing of the past…it’s time to play hard nosed football..forget this change of pace QB mess! And if Geno Smith doesn’t want to go to “Jets West” so what? why would he want to learn from a turnover machine? You want to learn this offense? STUDY THAT PLAYBOOK my man!..go to Peyton Mannings passing camp.

107. By IRA on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

SC,
    Besides the loss the roster purge was a killer. I understand you can’t afford to keep everybody but breaking up that WR group and letting Lowery and Coleman go and probably Woody you could bet if they could do it all over again they might have done things different.

108. By IRA on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Kudos to Geno for his comments today. I thought he said all the right things and I may be wrong here but Mark is going to get a run for his money for the starting job and Geno is going to camp expecting to start. This is going to be a very interesting and exciting camp.
    GO JETS!!!!!

109. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 16, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer, you keep mistaking me for some body else. What has Clemens to do with ANYTHING, I never mentioned him once, I thought he was even worst then Sanchez so what are you talking about?? What I said in response to your complaining Geno is some how being left out treated unfairly, Pertaining to Geno as a role player, All I said was it’s a great Idea for one of 2 reasons 1st being if he can handle his role well and beyond great we’ve on our way to a new QB, or if he’s not able to handle or pick up the offense we’ll know before rushing him like Sanchez throwing him to the wolves ,

110. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

I am in agreement with some of the posts in here. RONBO, SCJOE and IRA as usual your posts make sense. In a few days the real training camps starts and several days after that pre-season starts. This is when we separate who will be on the team. Do I feel we will have one of the best defenses in the league. “YES I DO”. do I feel we will have a better offense. “YES I DO”. Where I am concerned is simple, the QB position. NO ONE CAN ARGUE that Mark Sanchez has had the lousiest QB rating of all QB’s over a four year period, has thrown the ball away then any QB in a four year period then any QB in active football. Even in his 1st 2 years he had the worse QB rating among active QB’s. The only advantage he had was the running game and

111. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

some good pass receivers who had to out stretch themselves to get to the ball. Do we once again have good receivers if they stay healthy-YES which includes a couple of rookies. MS has alienated himself from players and with his video stunt on “YOUTUBE” embarrassed the JETS. SO yes, we may have improved in a some areas. with the exception of MS. Geno Smith will start this year how soon remains to be seen. And as far as him going to the West Coast. Look at the training he is getting in FLORIDA, why pasas that up to learn from a losing QB….

112. By IRA on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

Frank,
    I was firm on my thoughts about Geno going out to Jets West but as the week has gone on and after reading your post and others comments on the air waves i agree he probably got more out working out in Florida on his own and studying than if he spent 3 or 4 days out West.
    Want to see which players step up and become leaders for this team during camp.

113. By ronbo on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

SPICER, I was the person who used Colin Kaepernick as an example of a guy who got an opportunity and literally ran with it.Now, like you I will NEVER advocate using a QB as an integral part of my teams running attack. I blasted M.Shanahan here for that last season and Any Reid in Philly was guilty as well regarding Mike Vick’s numerous injuries due to his running as well.In my mind running QB’s equal short an wasted careers!. Welcome back Alan” O”!

114. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

Not good news. “Santonio Holmes (foot) is expected to begin training camp on the active/PUP list. Don’t confuse the active/PUP list with the reserve/PUP list. Players on the former can come off at any time, while those on the latter must sit out the first six regular season games. Regardless, the health of Holmes’ foot is a major concern for the Jets. He’s coming off a Grade 4, or most severe, Lisfranc injury and did not participate in any offseason workouts”

115. By Ronbo on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

IRA, like you and S.C.Joe I was originally disappointed Geno did not attend Jets West too.Also like you after getting all the facts and other opinions I agree he made the right decision.As Jets West is Mark’s deal and there is an open competition, why would Geno subject himself to playing second fiddle under Marks program? I later learned he worked out with Stephen Hill& a few others in Florida so as Spicer said, its not like he blew it off and goofed off at the beach.Only 8 days till the start of camp so Randy’s Radar should be humming soon!

116. By scjoe on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

Correction Spicer… There are 4 kinds of posters, the three you referred to, then there are the Spicers of the world who cut and paste every article about the NYJ from either Reuters or ESPN or NFL.com and paste it here on the Radar as if it were your own, as if it is coming from your mouth. Hellllo! We can read Reuters and ESPN ourselves. Also, FYI, when I am wrong about a particular issue re the NYJ (which is not very often) I will admit it, what I don’t have to do is to admit it to you! Every disagreement I have with you has a common denominator…You are the one that is wrong! Sorry Ron, but I was provoked!

117. By Ronbo on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, hey,no apoligies neccessary bro.First of all I am very much aware of the fact that you dont need me or anyone else for that matter to fight your battles. It’s just that its been getting a little testy here lately so I thought mabey I’d throw it out there in case it escaped anyones attention.I’m sure Randy will let us know if it gets to ugly.I dont know if its the heat or the lack of jets news lately but things should go back to normal once we have more recent stuff to chat about here.
    CHICAGO BOB, excellent post my man! How does Gastineau rate over Klecko is a mystery to any Jet fan as Klecko was a star at 3 different positions and could always be counted on by the organization to be a class act,solid citizen when mixing with fans

118. By Stevesc on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

As I read some of the comments on this blog, I can’t help but believe that some posters buy into all the media garbage that’s out there… This controversy between Mark and Gino is all bs made up by the talking heads and print media. If MS and GS say they have no problem with one another, then why not take them at their word. Who cares who went where and who worked with who. As Ira and a few have said, the real competition starts when training camp is under way. That is when we’ll see who rises to the top not only at qb, but all positions. I’d rather believe what’s coming from the horses mouths so to speak, than all the garbage that’s out there. Regardless, I respect everyone’s opinions, and enjoy reading them all. Go JETS. IMHO

119. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

As I listen to comments, most make good points some have straight out opinions, Then you have guy’s like me tired of the same crap year after year sorry guy’s, take our QB situation for instance. in 42 years this Org can’t draft a Real winning QB, NO , Why you ask I’ll explain, lets 4get all the young QB’s brought here over the years to compete none have, that’s right NONE, Now for my perfect example D-Garrard, Lets put his nagging back injury aside 4 now, HE Had a Serious Knee injury last year with the Fins, at his age and admitted he was done, Yet without recourse thought or considerations for us fans they picked him up anyway one getting my point here here So Yes I agree nurse Geno along lets see what he has then put him in..

120. By IRA on Jul 17, 2013 | Reply

Seems like this offset language when it comes to signing draft picks is an issue. I see that not only do the Jets have an issue with it and their three unsigned players as of tonight Mingo and Jordan fall into the same category. They must have Geno signed and ready to practice from day one if he is going to have a shot of beating out Mark. Any missed time will hold him back. I feel confident all three are done in time but who knows. Hope Revis’ agents don’t have Milliner or Richardson.

121. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, Sorry you are wrong as usual 95 % of the time I say this is from Rotoworld or this is from Yahoo & I quote the source from where I got the information from. The few times that I do not do that I will say something like above where I said “this is not good” Than put whoevers quote it is in paranthese. I post stuff that I think Jet fans will want to read. Please skip my posts if you dont like what I do.

122. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, This is your quote “Every disagreement I have with you has a common denominator…You are the one that is wrong!” Really? So Geno Smith working out in Florida with other Jet players instead of going to Marks Jet West camp makes him immature. That is what you said. So everyone on the planet is wrong when they say it is a none issue or you are wrong which one is it you tell us?

123. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, Does Geno Smith working out in Florida with other Jet players instead of going to Marks Jet West camp make him immature yes or no?

124. By kleckofan on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

wow lots of vitriol here, time to take a breath. Its sports, not life or death. Most sports discussion is opinion, not fact, even when there is seemingly statistics to support a view. The need to be “right” on here is a killer.
    Anyway…Allan O welcome back….good comments as usual. Agree that rotating THESE two guys would be a mistake. I think Colin K ran the read option or a variation at Nevada, it was not a new skill to be learned as it would be for Geno.
    ChiBob- great point about my man Klecko, forget Gastineau, Joe was a true warrior and beast, should be in NFL HOF, nevermind NYJ HOF or Rushmore.
    RonBo- ever the mediator…glad to see someone else jump on Ira’s sign Mo long term idea. We don’t have too many stars in the making,

125. By kleckofan on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

I must have missed it; did JFT64 formally leave us? Over what?

126. By ronbo on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

WoW! a first for me, no new posts in over 24 hours! Hey, Randy deserves a break so hope you had a nice day off my man!

127. By ronbo on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

KLECKOFAN, I asked Randy about it a few weeks ago and apparently he signed off for good a month or so ago. As he had mentioned some health issues I was concerned as most here would be. I hope he comes back because agree or not he makes a lot of great posts and is always a great read. I always liked Bennett too and he’s been absent for months as well?I know were all big boys her but I think we can make our points without making things personal!

128. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

RONBO, I feel RANDY like the rest of us is waiting for July 22nd, training camp. As I said before, we will see how good or bad some of the new players are. As for all the hype as to why Geno did not go west. Would you want to learn how to throw interceptions or work out and learn the play book inside and out. He has been throwing that ball to players who stayed in Florida. NEXT WEEK is what it is all about.

129. By Randy Lange on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

Frank, you are so right. I’m on vacation this week so the pickings have been slim on the Radar other than everyone’s valued comments, but we’ll crank it up next week with current events and some blogs with some of our assistant coaches on their memories of training camps when they played. I’ll post the first one off of my interview with RBs coach Anthony Lynn on Sunday. Hang in there, all.

130. By IRA on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

Good story by EA about Parcells and the 99 season. For me it was one of the more enjoyable once Lucas got on a role. The game that messed them up was getting blown out by the Giants. Otherwise they would have made the playoffs. That win in Denver was good but I will always remember that game in a bad way. That’s the game Davis tackled V Green I believe after he picked off a pass and Davis was never the same after that. Too bad. He was a great RB before he got hurt.
    The clock is ticking and there are only about 28 drafted players still unsigned. Idzik is going to be very busy this weekend getting them all signed before camp starts.
    GO JETS!!!!

131. By scjoe on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, let me make this perfectly clear to you…My “opinion” of Geno Smith and his immaturity issues goes beyond him not attending Jets West! It began with his actions at, and leading up to the draft, factor in a few of the articles I read from some of your favorite sports sites (Reuters ESPN etc) and listening to many of the people in the knows similar “opinion” that is what I concluded, I may be proven wrong in the long run, but so will many others. If all that you want out of life is for me to say “I was wrong!” stay tuned! Maybe, just maybe Geno Smith will prove me wrong, then, you will be happy, and I will be even happier the NYJ finally found their QB!

132. By scjoe on Jul 18, 2013 | Reply

My take on Gastineau-Klecko (for what it’s worth) I loved both. I will evaluate both strictly for what they did on the playing field (that “may be” where I differ from some) Klecko should be in the HOF simply for going to the pro bowl at 3 different positions. Gastineau may not be pro bowl caliber, but what he was, was THEE best pure pass rusher this team has ever had. Wonder why the animosity toward him?? For how he acted after a sack? For what he did off field? Give me (or any real NYJ fan) a couple of Gastineau’s today and I/they wont be complaining.

133. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 19, 2013 | Reply

KleckoFan , you never know he changes his name so offen he could be among us as we speak,

134. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 19, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, If you havent already responded & Randy has not posted it yet dont bother to. Your right & I am wrong I am moving on.

135. By scjoe on Jul 19, 2013 | Reply

Spicer….likewise!

136. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 19, 2013 | Reply

Scjoe, Not to mimic what you say, I am in perfect agreement on Klecko / Gastineau I’ll never figure out why Klecko isn’t in the HOF, I mean I have my suspicions. as I’m sure you do, he has accomplished more then many D/line men inducted to the hall, Whats worst we can’t even say he was born and played in the wrong time in history, so PC aside I’ll keep it to myself, Gastineau Yes he was some what cocky little over the top I guess his problems with his Bride wasn’t received with the best intentions, But at least he never shot or
    stabbed anyone caught with a DWI or DUI . That said he was one of the greatest pure pass rushers ever I don’t remember any Jet better do you ? I don’t care what people say

137. By Mike on Jul 19, 2013 | Reply

Jets need to forget this west coast and start playing Dan fouts type of football they now have the guy with the big arm who would be best for it and worse at west coast.Wakeup and smell the coffee.

138. By SCfromNY on Jul 20, 2013 | Reply

I think part of the Klecko/Gastieau conversation is media. Klecko went about his business in a professional way and while intimidating on the field was quiet and unassuming off. Later years I used to see him some mornings at the deli in W.Islip never acting like he was a big deal. Gastieau got so much more attention off the field and on the field he stood out for his attitude as much as his skill.

Kinda like Peyton and Eli. With SBs and playoff wins Eli, in a shorter time has surpassed Peyton. But Peyton seems to still get all the hype while in crunch time Eli plays better.

139. By ronbo on Jul 20, 2013 | Reply

MIKE, I’m not sure your right about the offensive scheme MM intends to employ, I think a question worth asking is why did we draft a QB to play in a w/c system who has basically spent the past 4 years playing out of the shot gun in a spread offense? I’m not saying it cant work but the learning curve will be a lot steeper based on his unfamiliarity with basic things like taking the snap from under center.As for a Dan Fout,s type of system, the problem is we simply do not have the type of receivers required to do it.Unfortunately we have the wrong Kellen Winslow as his dad was one of the all time greats.Somehow the thought of Steven Hill & Clyde Gates is not exactly scary to an NFL defense.

140. By Jersey Rich on Jul 20, 2013 | Reply

My wife just informed me (sarcastically?) that there will be no NEW Jets Jerseys till I figure out what to do with some of the old ones. I guess I can use the Tebow, Gholston, Mawae Rhodes,& Kendall ones to paint in. The Martin, Revis, Testeverde, Pennington, and Tomlinson ones she will just have to DEAL with. Wives can be unreasonable at times! (LoL)

141. By scjoe on Jul 20, 2013 | Reply

MJV, the closest to Gastineau had to be John Abraham. Not quite the numbers Gastineau put up, but he was the closest. And yes, you are dead on, none of Gastineau’s off field problems had to do with alcohol or violence of any kind, it was more a function of who he fell in love with and the consequences he suffered because of it. Someone suggested steroid use. I would have to know that beyond a reasonable doubt to convict him on that. I do remember him bringing a full regiment of weights along on every road game. I remember him giving my son a Jets cap and an autograph in Miami when he was only 8 years old. My son said to me, “dad, he is even bigger then you”! LOL!

142. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 20, 2013 | Reply

Funny,I like it Jersey Rich, I have a solution for you, Do what I use to when my wife, I’ll kindly gently explain if she didn’t fall into alliance with my team I would wear my Jersey to every affair we ever go including weddings,

143. By ronbo on Jul 20, 2013 | Reply

Jersey Rich, hysterical bro! Loved it! Hey, your not married to the same woman I am are you? My wifes a blonde(not sure its natural anymore?) about 5’7″ and she seems to be a lot like yours.S.C.Joe, unfortunately we all have different experiences when we meet players some of which meet our expectations or hopes, but others, not so much.We used to tailgate near the players parking lot and I cant remember how many times but Klecko would often come out of the secure area and hang out with the fans.Sadly, my only experience with Gasteneau was a lot less memorable as he walked past a family looking to say hi and probably an autograph like they weren’t there.Now,does that make him a bad guy?Probably not.But Klecko was amazing to the fans.

144. By Jersey Rich on Jul 20, 2013 | Reply

MJV – my wife IS a Jets fan. The only team she likes better is the Patsy’s (wish I would have known that before we married). When we are feuding about something, she wears a Tom Brady jersey that our daughter bought for her. Ain’t much lovin going on around here when she wears it…

145. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 21, 2013 | Reply

JERSEY RICH AND RONBO, speaking of wives, my wife though born in Italy was raised in Racine, Wisconsin, she use to wear Farve’s jersey, now it’s Rogers. So I guess you know what team she roots for…

146. By ELI RODRIGUEZ--We need a WR on Jul 22, 2013 | Reply

My 2cents–Rex through his immaturity has destroy this team, some may disagree but it’s like trying to be your kid best friend.(someone has to be the adult) MS never had competition?– I tend to disagree, they weren’t household name but he had some-David Gerrard and Drew Stanton realize it was always going to be M.S.(No one has a chance-while Rex is around) No knee issues or Tim Tebow. Another Topic: Geno Smith will become Malcontent if not name the opening day starter. (The writing is on the wall) IMHO!