• Fri., Oct. 24, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Oct. 25, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from the Coaches Club at MetLife  Stadium.
  • Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Mon., Oct. 27, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Tue., Oct. 28, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point - Only on SNY

• Wed., Oct. 29, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Open Mic - Only on SNY

• Thu., Oct. 30, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan - Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

Mike Goodson Does Not Report to Cortland

Posted by Randy Lange on July 25, 2013 – 7:47 pm

RB Mike Goodson’s short tenure with the Jets took another sharp turn today when the team announced that Goodson has been placed on its Reserve–Did Not Report list.

“We knew Mike was not going to report and we understand why he’s not here,” head coach Rex Ryan said shortly after he and the two team buses pulled up in front of their Glass Tower dorms on the SUNY Cortland campus late this afternoon. The team will have no further comment on the Goodson situation.

The Jets’ running backs position, which at least looked to be solidly stocked with the returns of Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight, the trade for Chris Ivory and the signing of Goodson, was unexpectedly thinned out with Goodson’s non-reporting and word that McKnight has been placed on the Active–Non-Football Injury list.

When the Jets take the Cortland practice fields this morning, they will have only Ivory, Powell and first-year back John Griffin taking handoffs. The RBs meeting room also includes FBs Lex Hilliard and rookie Tommy Bohanon.

Braylon’s Blessing

One player who did make the trip up I-81 to Cortland after not expecting to get the call for at least a little while longer was WR Braylon Edwards, whose signing was announced Thursday.

“It feels good. It feels like home,” Edwards said. “The people here have always made me feel welcome, and I feel like I’ve done my best work here. To be back in Cortland at the start of camp is a blessing.

“I was preparing myself as if this was going to happen, but I’d be a liar if I said I thought it was going to happen this fast,” he added. “I thought it was going to be a situation that happened later on in camp, possibly. But it happened before camp, I’m here to be able to start with them, so I was pretty surprised.”

Head coach Rex Ryan said the Jets’ coaches and trainers will have No. 17 on a “pitch count” but Edwards assured reporters it had nothing to do with his health.

“If I had an injury, I don’t think I’d be here right now,” he said. “I just think that’s a decision Rex wants to make. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older — I’m the big 3-0 now, so I think that might be having something to do with it. It’s definitely not an injury. I’m 100 percent healthy, for the first time in a while.”

Sheldon’s on Time Too

First-round rookie DL Sheldon Richardson is another Jet who wasn’t sure about being in the fold from the start of camp. He said “three or four days ago” contract negotiations weren’t progressing and he started to get worried about having to stay away until talks concluded.

“But my agent told me to keep cool and stay calm and we’ll get it done,” he said. “And we got it done.”

Richardson wasn’t shy about stating his odds for moving up the depth chart.

“I’ve got a couple of guys in front of me now,” he said, “but I’ve got a good chance to be a starter.”

Rex Cetera

Where’d that heat wave go? Cortland temperatures dipped into the upper 40s overnight and temps during the day got as high as only a breezy 74 . Today’s temps could also be around 75, with a heat index reading around 85, by the time Friday’s first practice of camp wraps up a little after noon.

Ryan said he thought WR Santonio Holmes, rehabbing his Lisfranc foot injury from last season, would be up in Cortland soon. Shortly after that, ESPN New York’s Larry Hardesty reported that he saw Tone around the SUNY Cortland campus. … Other transactions today: The Jets released two players with injury settlements: rookie DL Jake McDonough and first-year WR Thomas Mayo.

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Mike Goodson Does Not Report to Cortland”

1. By IRA on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

Too bad about McDonough I thought he would be a guy that had a shot.

2. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

This is what gets me once again, Garrard Out, Goodson out, few others picked up in FA are Injury prone, this team is going backwards not forward, I’m telling you This is Football one O one Check up for players before signing, Background checks for pass trouble and character i have to tell you. I’m not impressed one bit so far with our New GM, No way Rex stands a chance with these bunch of Keystone Cops , Even MM is being asked to do the Impossible,

3. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

I agree Braylon’s a blessing this gives us more depth with wide receivers and when Holmes returns we could have a solid receiving core. As for Goodson I feel if he does not show in a few days we should get rid of him.

4. By joeydefiant on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

Holmes, Edwards, Kerley and Hill are a good set of receivers. Not the bottom of the barrel people are expecting from the Jets. If Braylon is healthy again I see no reason why he can’t make 50-60 catches and 600-800 yards. The guy is only 30. People are acting like he is 50!
    Hopefully Holmes comes back in time to start the season or only misses a few games. If Tone can’t come back from this injury having Hill and Edwards on the outside and Kerley in the slot is either going to be horrible or good depending on if Hill is a bust or just needed a year experience. I won’t count him out until year 3, that’s the year a lot of receivers finally break out. I believe Braylon has a few good years left in the tank. Why do people think Braylon is done?

5. By SCfromNY on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

I am really puzzled. How can the Jets have so many injury issues so early? Now this may happen to most teams but because we are focused on the Jets it appears they are the only one.. How can McKnight be injured when nothing was said during the OTAs? With Goodson’s baggage you would think he would be the first to arrive. Unless it is a legal issue that is being kept quiet. How will the Jets be able to evaluate the QBs without any viable receivers? A stout defense will only make the Jets more frustrating this year if the O again can not maintain drives and score points.

6. By meangreen1987 on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

Goodson not showing is a bummer but if he absolutely couldn’t make it because of legal issues then I understand. This guy needs to get serious soon or the Jets should seriously weigh there options on him. It suck that Holmes is still hurt but it seems that he is really trying to bounce back here before September. If Holmes doesn’t get the green light then the Jets still look pretty solid at WR with Edwards, and Hill outside and Kerley in the slot. Plus the Jets also have Winslow at TE. So they got guys out there that can catch the ball. Hill will be in the spotlight and needs to step it up this year and bring his play to the next level. Hopefully Edwards can assume leadership of the WR’s and help out Hill and some of these younger guys.

7. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

I don’t think we will see Holmes back before the 2nd game of the season. I can not understand how McKnight got injured. SC you could be right it could be a legal issue being kept quite based on Goodson. Everyone is condemning our WR’s, but I feel now that Edwards is back, knowing Holmes will be back, along Kerley and Hill and “possibly” Rogers stepping up we have a decent WR core. I also feel we have improved on the OL. My main concern now is the QB spot. Ivory and Goodson are going to bring the running game. No question our defense will play well, very well. SO LETS GO JETS….

8. By GaryC on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

I believe it was a sneeze that put McKnight on the Non Football injury list.

9. By kk on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

Milliner thinks he’s Revis already with this holdout. Let him sit and sweat, I’m so tired of these guys who haven’t proved a thing! Probably doesn’t want the offset language in there tough, if you’re that good it won’t matter.
    We have some good corners and I think Berry going to surprise some people so let the rook sit home and get nothing!

10. By SQUIRREL on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

not good. no pun intended. does anybody have an update on the status of his legal matter. based on this my first impression is he may have to go. if he is going to be pre-occupied with his legal case then he is not going to help this team. last thing we need is a distraction especially on offense. McKnight sounds like a conditioning problem. sound familiar. let’s just hope Millner deal gets worked out soon and that he is ready to go with the shoulder. any reason why we couldn’t give Laurent Robinson a shot too. If Hill has not made decent strides then we are going to need another receiver.

11. By Walt on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

It does not take a genius to figure out where Mike Goodson is. Believe me I most sincerely hope I am wrong but it seems like from all that is being said that Mike is possibly in rehab. I was really counting on him too. Leave it to the Jets to take all the mystery out of training camp. I was really excited to see which of the ten or so free agent wide receivers would be the next Chrebet but with the signing of Braylon the roster is about set. I have nothing against Braylon but we already had a journeyman receiver in Obomanu. I doubt that either one will catch 60 some passes like Chrebet did as a rookie. I would like to hear from all the Clyde Gates doubters out there I knew he was a winner. Take that ESPN.

12. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

The way I feel about Milliner right now is disappointment. Before making demands based on your contract Milner should get out on the field, practice and play out his rookie season and also show that his injury is not going to be a factor in his ability to play. Then he can request a reasonable pay hike. If he is as good as the media say his is. PROVE IT WQITHOUT making demands. Why do we get all the prima donna’s. BERRY is no Revis, but can surprise us. But I believe Milner could be another Revis if he stays healthy and gets himself conditioned by practicing and playing.

13. By Dan on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

I have a feeling Goodson is in rehab. Seems to have some alcohol and substance issues considering the train wreck of a personal history he has compiled. And the team is being very quiet, so that’s what I think it is. Maybe he’s seen the light and is getting his life in order. I hope so for his sake and ours.

14. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 26, 2013 | Reply

CaryC, been saying this about MC,Night since his 1st rookie camp, he can’t hold up in any situation, I wouldn’t be surprised if he sneezed pop went his vessel .

15. By ronbo on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

WALT DAN, no one here has been more of a proponent of giving people the benefit of the doubt and offering them a 2nd chance regarding their careers.The problem with Goodson is that he’s already had 2nd & 3rd chances elsewhere which is why he was available this off season.We as people cant choose our relatives but as I said earlier here,we can certainly choose our friends and who we get into a car with.By involving himself in this situation he basically laughed in the organizations face as once he got his money he went back to doing what he’s always done,being an idiot! No way he deserves to be a Jet as we have enough characters here already with dubious history’s already.Time to say good bye Goody!