• Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 12:15 PM - 12:45 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Jets Insider Eric Allen will report from Training Camp practice with guests Willie Colon and Rex Ryan
  • Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 1:15 PM - 1:45 PM EDT Live Rex Ryan Press Conference HC Rex Ryan will adress the media following Training Camp practice
  • Sun., Aug. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 04, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Wed., Aug. 06, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Thu., Aug. 07, 2014 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EDT SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel.
  • Sun., Aug. 10, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Mon., Aug. 11, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Wed., Aug. 13, 2014 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., Aug. 16, 2014 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation: Inside Camp

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

An Opening for John Griffin to Run Through

Posted by Randy Lange on July 27, 2013 – 2:45 pm

We can’t dub him “Johnny White Shoes Griffin” just yet, but John Griffin has looked speedy in the Jets’ backfield at their SUNY Cortland training camp and it’s not just the white footwear.

“Really, I’m just taking advantage of the opportunity I’ve got right now,” Griffin, the Jets’ new No. 24, said after today’s second practice of camp. “I know we’ve got a couple of guys hurt and Mike [Goodson]‘s not here right now. So I’m really just trying to take advantage of the opportunity that’s been given to me. I know I’ve worked hard so I know I’m ready for it.”

Griffin looks ready. The 5’11”, 208-pounder has gotten his opening with Chris Ivory and Joe McKnight both being sidelined at times so far with injuries and Goodson not reporting, and he and his shoes have flashed. It could be getting free to scoot off tackle or taking a screen and zipping down the green and white rapids for a big gainer.

He feels he can be a complete back. As a Northeastern junior, he had a 200-yard rushing game and a 1,000-yard season in 2009. As a receiver, he’s been hot and cold, mixing in a few drops with his crowd-pleasing downfield forays, but he knows one of the answers to that.

“I like to think I’m a pretty good route-running back,” he said. “I probably need to strengthen my hands a little bit, do some more off the field. But I pretty much like doing it all.”

As for the white shoes, it’s not a tribute to Joe Namath or Billy Johnson, just a sartorial thing that some of the Jets backs started this spring.

“I remember Joe [McKnight] and Mike [Goodson] wore them one day, we all did, and we kind of stuck with them,” he said. “Actually, Antonio Cromartie gave these shoes to me.”

It’s taken Griffin a while to get going in the pros, but he finally made his NFL debut with nine special teams plays for the Jets in last season’s finale at Buffalo. Maybe there are more plays where that came from if he and his shoes continue to flash this summer.

Comings and Goings

Griffin and the Jets backs were joined on the roster by newly signed Chad Spann (5’9″, 198). Spann’s claim to fame was that he led all FBS players in 2010 with 22 rushing TDs in 11 games for Northern Illinois, but he’s only made it to Tampa Bay’s and Pittsburgh’s practice squads. He wore No. 34 in white (Donnie Fletcher is 34 in green) at today’s practice. … Also, CB Aaron Berry, who tore an ACL early in Friday’s first practice of camp, was placed on injured reserve.

Clyde Gates was still motoring in day two, ripping down the right sideline to gather in a Geno Smith longball in 11-on-11 drills. … Antonio Allen had a nice 7-on-7 zone interception of Mark Sanchez trying to hit Stephen Hill with a deep ball. … Rex Ryan says he likes what first-year WR Vidal Hazelton has shown so far, “and not because he got into a little whatever.” That whatever was a short but intense chin-to-chin confrontation with Cromartie after Cro hit Hazelton hard after a reception in positional drills. … Including a kick each in a two-minute drill at the end of practice, Nick Folk was 4-for-5 and Billy Cundiff 2-for-5 on field goals into a good Cortland cross-breeze.

Tags: , , , , , ,

42 Responses to “An Opening for John Griffin to Run Through”

1. By IRA on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

I don’t want to repeat what Randy wrote but I think Griffin can be a contributor as a RB for this team. He has to clean up some of his drops but overall I am very impressed with what I have seen so far. Lets see what happens when they start with pads tomorrow.
    I think the safety spots will be just fine this year. I like Allen, Jarrett and Bush along with Landry.

2. By SCfromNY on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

Glad to see some of the young players doing well AND getting a chance. No more old tired Rex Ryan “boys”. Maybe if given a chance the Jets could have a surprise pro bowler instead of a bust.

Waiting for Smith to pass Sanchez which IMO will happen soon after we start hitting and putting pressure on.

I know no one cares anymore, especially with drafting Smith but I would like to know how McElroy is doing. I bet he could start for the Jags.

3. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

SCfromN,So let me ask I’m curious, At the risk of sounding redundant, Since you didn’t or don’t approve of the Guys.Rex brought in, you know the ones who got us back to back AFC Champ Games, What I take away from your comment is your fine with 5 of the 6 FAs picked by the new regime 1 is a criminal and didn’t make it to camp 1 gone from the team due to injuries he had before he even arrived to camp 2 others just as slow and old as Rex’s guys just ad injury prone to the mix, so whats your point ? bash Rex again give it a rest, there hasn’t been any I repeat any better moves then Mike-T As of yet sorry to say

4. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

I ave to admit Griffin looked good, very good. Nice cut backs, and fast on his feet. He most certainly has to improve on receiving passes coming out of the backfield. But as far as running “not bad at all”. Only question I have, if he can not hold onto a pass, will be able to hold onto the ball after getting hit. Must improve on those soft hands… Ge4no looked sharp. MS fair.

5. By russ on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Griffin not being indicted is a plus…hope he makes it..

6. By Dan siempre Jets fan on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

I keep hearing that sanchez took the Jets to two championship games, If he wasnt the QB we would have won both. GO Geno

7. By wayne on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

That #9 pick should have been used for any position but cornerback. This kid is hurt AND holding out? What I read from it is a kid who doesn’t necessarily think he’ll live up to replacing Mr. Revis and so is trying to get paid now..I’m not anxious about these things, but what I’m curious about is that these picks are slotted to get money that falls in a range with a little bump above last yr’s..So what’s the problem!?..Idzik is learning on-the-job..He comes out of 2 organizations, SEA and TPA who historically have had problems developing WRs, so that is an area I’ll be curious to see how he handles….Fyi, the Big Ants always seem to come up with new (good) WRs, as they have,,,,,again…Seems Jets have discovered that competition is good.

8. By Frank on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

So Goodson is not in camp and everyone is playing Sgt. Shultz my guess is he is in re-hab. I am telling you I have an uncanny nack for making predictions. I said the other day I doubted Holmes would give this team much this year if at all. Low and behold Holmes is now telling people he doesn’t know if he will play this year and he doesn’t know of anyone who has come back from this type of injury to the level they were before. Sounds like the hand writing is on the wall. Idzik better be looking for another receiver. Jet Vet I don’t know what you are referring to about making questionable statements. I have been here longer than everyone but Ira and Spicer I beleive we are the only ones here from the beginning of Radar and I would venture to

9. By Frank on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

bet my observations have been the most accurate ones spouted on this site. I love the team but don’t drink the kool-aide. I am an NFL fan not just the Jets my knowledge of all players and teams gives me a different perspective than being a one trick pony like Spicer and some others of the site.
    This team is not off to a good start and the drama on O is almost surreal!

10. By Frank on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Isn’t this just peachy….Idzik claims he will have final input as to who the starting QB will be. So what’s the deal Rex is not going to have final say on his starting line-up? Who ever heard of such a thing? Oh yeah Jerry Jones comes to mind and we all know how well that works.
    So far Idzik gets a C- on his job I have not been impressed at all. Why is Milliner not in camp? Its almost impossible that a deal is not done with the rookie salary cap.
    For the life of me I can’t understand why Woody hired another guy (Idzik) who is learning on the job.
    This team is more dysfunctional than ever it really is.

11. By GaryC on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Hear Geno is doing Deion Sanders dances already even before he has won the quarterback battle,try controlling the ego just a little bit until you accomplish something.

12. By IRA on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Wayne,
    Milliner was the best defensive player in the draft according to most experts so I feel it was a no brainer to take him with the 9th pick. He doesn’t have to be the next Revis. Lets be real how many players can or will? None he is one of the best ever. That doesn’t mean Milliner can’t be a top CB in the NFL. I think he is going to be a good one we just need him to be healthy and hope he gets into camp ASAP.

13. By scjoe on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

While listening to Idzik’s presser you can detect the politics in it very clearly. It isn’t, and shouldn’t be Idzik’s call who starts at QB or any other position. Time to forget the “my guy” “your guy” attitude and make the call based on who gives the team the best chance to win. Hasn’t W. Johnson learned anything about anything during his tenure as NYJ owner? As for Griffin? In the words of the only “elite” HC this team has ever known. “lets not put this guy in Canton just yet!” Lets at least wait and see if he makes the final cut.

14. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Ira, How do you know he’s the best,? college, well he hasn’t shown a thing yet, lets just hope he can make it to and though camp, once again we picked a question mark with our most important pick, it’s always something VG, Revis, Sanchez, Vlad,. Wilson, A- Beck, B- Nagel, Johnny Mitchel, . I can go on for hours, So please stop with your PC patronizing of these idiotic moves, Enough it’s your opinion, not fact, we needed so much more then a corner,

15. By Jet fan Frank 1864 on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

FRANK, good post. I feel we may have a couple of surprises (let me reiterate “may”) in Davis, Gates and Rogers, the only thing I do not like about Rogers is his height, other then that I like the kid. As for Idzik, I like some of his moves and the way he took control and keeps RR at bay. I give him a C+ for now. As for Goodson, rehabilitation seems more likely, as for the rookie Dee Milner, if he does not come into camp this week, bench him…

16. By SCfromNY on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

MJV; I rarely respond since everyone is entitled to their opinion BUT. First let’s let the 2 AFC Championship LOSSES go. In football years it was forever. Rex won with Mangini’s people, a great OL, great run game, and good WRs to go along with a great D. Last year Rex can gush about his top 10 D BUT he was like 23rd in points allowed. I’m not an expert but I think points are important.

My point about Rex’s guys like Scott and Mason they came in and Rex anointed them probowlers like so many of his choices. He stuck the last 2 years with a QB who was a turnover machine, could not read Defenses, inaccurate, and a tendency to sulk. Idzik brought in seasoned players past their prime as “stop gaps” NOT the end all. The Jets need time.

17. By danny on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Man day 2 of training camp and some of you negative bashing fans are at it already. No one on this site has any idea how any of Idziks moves will pan out or how any of these draft picks will pan out. Give the guys a chance before you rip them to shreds. We have a different team from last yr and rite now that’s all I can ask for. That gives us hope because we got old fast. Dee milliner was a smart draft pick and a top rated defensive player. Anyone that rips that pic needs to learn more about football I’m sorry. What big time weapon was out there that was rated higher then Dee Milliner at number 9 ?? We all know a Rex Ryan Defense needs corners with great one on one cover skills as he will blitz and leave them with no help. cmonn

18. By danny on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Some of you guys ripped sanchez for moping around and now you wanna rip Geno for doing a D Sanders dance ? Wow these guys are human not robots. That’s great the kid is out there having fun looking good and showing some swagger. This aint 1960 anymore and if he’s doing a dance that means he’s feeling comfortable out there and that’s great for a rookie QB. It’s not like it was a game and were down 35 – 7 like Homes doing the first down point after a 10 yd catch cmonnnnn ppl be happy we have changes and some fresh young talent this yr to build on. This team is gonna be better then expected and a big part of the problem in the past is some of you negative fans don’t give players time to develop and just boo and rip there confidence away.

19. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Gary C, Trolling again? You conveniently forgot to add that was after he had a long touch down run on a read option play where he kept the ball instead of pitching it. He flashed his 4.5 speed!

20. By TONY GARCIA on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Jet fan since 1969,let the rebuilding begin.
    Jets have some decent players on roster lets see what happens.

21. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

SCfromNY , problem is fans like you keep forgetting no matter what the situation Rex got a #1 defense # 5 the next year the 2 AFC games got tired of being NFL joke of the 20th century, and BTW we were,. he also brought us back some respectability in many many many many many years, coming to Jets nation wasn’t an easy W for the whole league anymore, It’s the best 2 year span this team has, I would love to forget but after 100s of thousands of $$ it’s 43 years.it’s all I have to be proud of in this team, so excuse me while I savor and appreciate not discriminate I don’t have 43 more. OK Champ

22. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Frank, The translation for your above post is “I am not really a Jet fan I am a Giant fan who comes to the Jet site to cause trouble”

23. By Frank on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Spicer funny should should bring that up. I was thinking Woody would be wise to spend some time with Mara he might learn something about running/owning a football team. Going for the headlines doesn’t work Idzik until he opened an eye rasing can of worms the other day saying Rex will not have final say on his roster was bizarre to say the least. He was doing well before those comments so he really should stick to staying silent.
    I really don’t see how Milliner is going to be able to play. He had a torn labrum with surgery in March that is not a surgery you return from in 4 months. I had that surgery it takes 6-12 months to fully recover and the labrum since its a tendon can re-tear easily within one year. They better be careful with this!

24. By GaryC on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

People love due process in the courts until the decision doesn’t go their way,If the jet quarterback competition is won by Sanchez how many people will say justice wasn’t served.

25. By GaryC on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Tom and Danny,Please,the second practice without pads and you guys already have Geno anointed.One time a lot of you had Sanchez anointed.

26. By ronbo on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Well, so much for the lets try to be more cavil or less contentious thoughts? Guys, in spite of the many excellent points made on this header i think Danny makes the post of the day(or days as this is at least two days on this header!) Do we really need to be ripping into each other this early? NOTHING has been established as to whether Milliner is or isn’t the best defensive player in this years draft and Geno doing a little celebration isn’t nearly as idiotic as some of the knucklheaded stuff like the 29 NFL arrests this past off-season.Dude’s, both Frank & MJV actually make great arguments but do we really need the open disdain being shown to make these excellent points?Time to take a chill pill boys!

27. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Danny, Look back in history our record on Best defensive draft choices, it’s not bashing it’s fact my friend, how smart is it now, JM going under the knife and hasn’t even entered camp yet ,How long have you followed the Jets 6 months ?

28. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

RONBO as usual you make sense based on all the bickering going on in here and other posts. You know my feelings on this. As for MS, I have to admit he looks pretty good at passing in non contact football and so does GS. However, the fun will soon begin when full contact is in swing and preseason gets here. As well as MS is passing without contact, I still have his stats over a four year period in the back of my mind and that is… 42 fumbles, 69 interceptions, sacked, well I wont put that number in here it is to embarrassing. But I will say this, if MS wins the starting QB position I will route for him until he screws up time after time….

29. By ronbo on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

MJV As good as your argument is statistic’s often don’t tell the whole story. I’m not saying Rex didn’t do a great job those first two years but last season was a perfect example of my point. Yes our pass defense was ranked highly but was it because they played the pass so well or because the run defense was so porous opponents rarely had to take the chance and throw. If you think back opposing receivers actually had little trouble getting away from our D.B’s. I remember Cromartie,Landry and Kyle Wilson constantly chasing after receivers who beat them badly. Overall Rex does a good job with the D but it’s not the no-brainer the stats might indicate.

30. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

DEE MILLNER signed a four year contract, now the question is, will he avoid injuries. I hope so, for I feel this kid is talented. Glad he is going to be in practice from here on out…

31. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, you’re losing sight of my whole point like so many others here, WHAT I”M GETTING SICK AND TIRED of is this whole team always gets dismantled, after we starting competing , my point is was and always will be, Instead of building on what we had adding better players, building a team better then the year before BAM it’s over as fast as it began, like Parcels 1998 year . most any other team has years like our 2009-10 they build on it and go on a 3-4 -5 year run at the very least, not us it’s like we can never stand prosperity, Yes I know with the exception of teams like KC Cincy to name a few. But they aren’t one of the biggest markets in the league

32. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Cont. I’m getting to old and tired of waiting for this team to be more then a Joke ,let me just say the Jokes are starting already all thought out the league, It’s not so much Rex is a great coach it’s that Rex got us to a place we can talk and be proud of and wasn’t given the chance to build a pond what he started, if he failed with the best then he’s gone NP I’ve always say this, getting rid of Schotty, Callahan and now losing Westy Come on, you’re old enough be around long enough, That I shouldn’t have to explain any further,, moves they make are a Joke Just like in 43 Years we can’t find one decent QB please stop

33. By danny on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet not 6 months actually since about 1982 and I don’t care about how bad our drafts were in the past. We have a new GM and I’m happy about that so I want to see how it pans out before bashing his moves. We have drafted some great defensive players in the last 10 yrs and Revis was the best. Harris was a great pick and I love Wilkerson so yes we can draft a great defensive player its been proved to you with these guys the last 8 yrs or so. I like Kendrick Ellis and I think Coples has a chance to be a great player. Ohh I like Davis too so I think recently was have drafted well on the defensive side so how can you bash the Milliner pick when you haven’t even watched him step on the field ?? Cmonn mannnn

34. By danny on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Also whoever is comparing there injury to Milliner that makes no sense either because first I’m sure ur body is not even close to the shape this kid is in plus he’s getting top notch treatment everyday for his injury to get him back on the field so I would think it would take him much quicker then the avg man to come back from any kind of injury. I just can’t believe all the negativity on this site after 5 days of training camp. BTW no one is putting Geno in canton, were just saying who cares if he did a Primetime dance after long run at practice. Most of these guys love the game like a 12 yr old playing pee wee football. He’s relaxed having fun out there. If it was a game and down 21 – 10 I would be ripping him too but its practice guys

35. By danny on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Mike Jet Vet what guys should we have kept and built on ? We went 8 – 8 then 6 – 10 ?? Our team got old very fast. Our shot to win a SB with that team was ruined in Pitt especially on the goaline 1st and 10 with 3 passes then a run up the gut with LT on 4th down. It was over rite there. We had no choice but to get young so I don’t understand how you think we should have kept that team and built on ? Give our new GM a chance to build a better team then 2009 and 2010 that is young fast and capable of actually winning a SB. I have been let down like everyone else since 1982 but I love the Jets so all I can do is hope we finally have a real GM now that can build us a SB team

36. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

RONBO. MJV stats play a big part in this game. RONBO I do agree at times stats can be misleading, but these are stats that are not misleading…Go to “PROFOOTBALLREFERENCE.COM”. This is MS’s ratings:

2009 – QBR 31.64; Sacked 26; Interceptions 20 Fumbles 10,
    2010 – QBR 48.02 Sacked 27, Interceptions 13, Fumbles 08
    2011 – QBR 33.62, Sacked 39, Interceptions 18, Fumbles 10
    2012 – QBR 23.37, Sacked 34, Interceptions 18, Fumbles 14
    TOTALS: Sacked 126; Interceptions 59, Fumbles 42.
    I will say this YAHOO SPORTS gives MS a better QBR then “ProFootball Reference.com”. You cannot win with these stats and you never will.

37. By SCfromNY on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

I have no feelings about Geno good or bad. I am waiting to see how he plays in the preseason against other teams. Last year Sanchez scored ZERO TDs! We better be able to do better. I feel our current WRs are OK, our defense should be good, our RBs should be better if they all play, and that leaves QB.

I don’t expect RGIII from Geno since 32 teams passed on him. But 32 teams passed on Brady 5X, Montana 2X, and to throw in an RB that goes undrafted and goes to Pro Bowl. OK, the Jets rarely get this luck but we are certainly due so I will hold my Geno opinions till opening day. Everyone knows my Sanchez opinion.

38. By scjoe on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

My 2 cents on the MJV/Danny debate… I can relate to both sides. I have been a Jet fan since day 1. Sept 1960, during that time there has been just one year (1968) to brag about, like MJV I am getting frustrated, don’t know how much time is left. Like Danny, I agree a change at GM was long over due, Now, it is still early in the process and anything can happen, but at this point in time I can not give the new GM rave reviews. They are just not there. Hopefully, in the near future, I can, and will. Just not right now. Lets all just stay tuned.

39. By ronbo on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

MJV, again, although we differ on Rex I do feel you make a lot of great arguments and you know I have great respect for your opinions. I am 60 so yes I completely get where you are coming from. Although my time table is more in tune with 64’s in terms of my willingness to be patient I still look forward to the day when we can all agree and are proud of the product on the field. As for the guys no longer with us, i cant think of anyone who left except mabey Revis who I feel will stunt the growth of this team. Keller was an undersized non factor in the running game who produced pedestrian stats so he was no great loss. Let me know who left that we should have kept?

40. By danny on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

SCfromNY that was a great post. That’s all any of us should be thinking rite now. That’s all i’m saying about all the negative posts on the new guys we have on this team. We don’t know anything yet until games are played so give them a chance.

41. By Purple Flash on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

The one thing I’ll add to this mix and what Mike Jet Vet said, was that after the 2nd AFC Championship game the Jets lost to Pittsburg The Jets front office really dismantled that team. In that off-season I counted something like 12-13 players who were let go who were real role-playing contributors. Guys like Brad Smith, Braylon Edwards even Jay Feely. All of them really contributed. That was way too much. Mike Jet Vet was right about that.

42. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Like I said in previous post, I feel offensively and defensively we have improved
    and now that Edwards has returned and with Kerley and Hill if he stays healthy we may have some descent WR’s, I also like Rogers it appears he has pretty good speed and hands. the TE/s are still a concern, but my biggest concern is the QB position.