• Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel
  • Sun., May. 04, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 2:00PM - 3:00PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE Draft Show Prior to 1st RD of NFL Draft
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 6:30PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Fri., May. 09, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 12:00AM - 12:30AM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation Draft Show

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., May. 18, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 01, 2014 7:00PM - 7:30PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

• Sun., Jun. 08, 2014 7:30PM - 8:00PM EDT Live SNY's Jets Nation

An inside look at Jets players, coaches and team personnel

Geno Smith Grabs the First Offense Controls

Posted by Randy Lange on July 28, 2013 – 6:40 pm

The defense seemed ahead of the offense in the conclusion of today’s first full-pads practice of Jets training camp, but that was OK with Geno Smith, who got in some shots of his own while running the first offense.

“It felt good to have the pads on. Guys were out there hitting, getting back to football,” Smith said late this afternoon, standing near the Cortland Stadium turf field where the Jets finishing up their morning practice that was truncated by heavy rain and lightning. “It felt really good to see guys out there competing. The offense and the defense did a really good job out there.”

It was Smith’s turn to work with the first offense, and while that unit was on fire in its first day of full-pads contact (but not taking runners to the ground), Smith seemed comfortable in moving around in the pocket, avoiding the multiple pressures, and finding some of his receivers. He hit Jeff Cumberland downfield in position drills (more on that from reporter Josh Citron in a little while) and then a big 40-yarder to Stephen Hill.

Geno shrugged off any significance of getting his turn with the ones.

“I think going against the first-team defense is a lot different because those guys have a lot of veterans on that side and they know what they’re doing, they know how to disguise things, so it makes it a bit tougher,” he said. “But I think it all helps us out, especially me being a young guy, it helps me out seeing a defense that’s so experienced, just to get a chance to compete against those guys.”

Mark Sanchez took his turn with the twos and went 5-for-7 passing to Smith’s 4-for-6. Afterward, No. 6 told reporters, just a short distance away from No. 7′s media gathering, that no matter which unit he’s working with, he likes the Jets’ juice up here in central New York.

“I love the energy we have here,” Sanchez said. “I love what we’re building here in Cortland. I think we’ve got a ton of talent. Now we’ve just got to use it the right way and trust the coaches to do that. … We’ve really turned the page from last year. I think we’ve got a good group.”

The positivity didn’t end for either QB regarding one of the hot topics of the last 24 hours, GM John Idzik’s Saturday statement that “I have a pretty big role” in the ultimate starting QB decision and head coach Rex Ryan’s agreement today that “at no time is it a one-man show. It’s always a team decision. That’s the way it’s always been.”

Mark on his relationship with Idzik: “John has an open line of communication, as do I. Things have been good. We’ve talked about the ballclub, we’ve talked about whatever comes up. It’s been good.”

Geno on the QB call that will be made in several short weeks: “I just come out here and do my job, which is to compete. Like I’ve always said, they’re going to make the decision. The only thing I can do is take care of what I can control, which is manage every single rep I get on the field and make sure I prepare myself for the classroom.”

Rex Cetera

DT Kenrick Ellis and DE Muhammad Wilkerson were very active for the first D, especially against the run, while LB Josh Mauga made some plays for the twos. … TE Kellen Winslow and WR Braylon Edwards, on that Ryan “pitch count,” were not in pads for the p.m. session. … The attendance for the short one-period-long morning workout before the suspension and for the afternoon stadium practice was a combined 990.

Tags: , , , ,

16 Responses to “Geno Smith Grabs the First Offense Controls”

1. By Antonio H. on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

I hope we are pleasantly surprised by the jets this year. I pull for Sanchez but if Geno proves to be a gem in the same category as a Russell Wilson or kapernick then I will not complain. Santonio Holmes just irks me, comes off as arrogant and selfish. Braylon Edwards should’ve got the nod on the extension back in 2010. Yea Braylon was caught drinking but Santonio is a little 5’10 diva all the time. I became a jet fan back in 2009 when I really got into pro football and it finally seems like Idzik is trying to draw a straight line for the franchise. Rex was a breath of fresh air at first but man has he gotten to be annoying.

2. By wayne on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

That the offense is showing so well early is camp is either an indictment of QB prep in past or an indication the defense might be lacking something else. I say something else because it’s lacked a passrush for couple years now. It hasn’t been doing as well turnover wise and now a major playmaker is gone. Is it that QB position is showing up or is it that there aren’t any guys on D that can shake up an offense? We shall see…..You know my feelings on young Mr. Clowney……Cimini said McElroy uncorked his daily duck today…Nuff said………………I believe it is possible to have Clowney AND Ryan…..

3. By IRA on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

First of all great job by the Jets allowing the fans to come back and watch this afternoons practice. So thank you it was a great practice. A few observations I took from them in full pads. The DL is very quick. Richardson is going to be a stud! He is so quick and I predict they will finally get consistent pressure on QB’s. Hill had a very good day it’s the best I have seen him play.
    Geno I thought looked very good and seems to have a good pocket presence. He knows when to get rid of the ball and can step up or take it outside and run or buy more time if needed.
    The secondary is very active and the young safeties seem to have very good communication back there.
    Overall very good day.
    GO JETS!!!!

4. By SCfromNY on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Especially nice to hear almost daily that Hill is catching some long ones. If Hill shows decent ball skills it will go a long way to stretching the field and keeping defenses honest.

Sounds as if Smith is doing OK for a rookie and Sanchez is not so far ahead. I would still like to hear something about McElroy once in a while. I will continue to be a fan until proved otherwise.

5. By GaryC on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

ScfromNy,keep rooting for McElroy,I will too,too bad with the salaries of Sanchez and Geno,they are giving the preferential treatment over McElroy,the coaching staff calls it an open competition,but is it really,the staff needs to save face with their picks,and that is why the higher picks need to succeed more.

6. By ronbo on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe & Frank, I believe your comments on the previous header were spot on! I don’t know what the heck Idzik is thinking by undermining his head coach but I do believe he’s making a BIG MISTAKE by contradicting Rex publicly. Hey, i dont agree with a lot of Rex’s moves but its his butt on the line and by not allowing him to pick his own poison he’s basically saying he does not trust Rex to make the right decision.Frank makes a great point as only Jerry Jones or perhaps the late Al Davis would interfere in this manner but at least they were also the teams owners.
    I have so far supported Idzik in general but this in my mind is his worst move to date.

7. By IRA on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

One thing that stands out to me this year is that the coaching staff is more hands on and teaching these players during individual drills at every position. Lee is an excellent QB coach.
    Geno once again looked good today and Mark threw a better ball than he has since camp started. I thought Kerley, Cumberland and Hill came up with some nice grabs. Hill has improved for sure.
    GO JETS!!!!!

8. By Charliejet on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Antonio – couldn’t agree more. Rex is annoying.

9. By kleckofan on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Ira -
    Thanks for the camp update; jealous that you get to be there!
    All sounds very good. I am glad it sounds like the QB competition will be legit’. Also glad to hear that Geno is not lost in opening days. I was not a fan of the pick on Geno (wanted no QB this draft), but now that he’s ours I will pull for him as opposed to status quo (ie Mr. Turnover).

10. By scjoe on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

GaryC/SCfromNY….It’s called “politics!” and it exists, it has been something I have been talking about the past 5 years. Some teams use more of it then others. Guess where the NYJ fall?

11. By ronbo on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

IRA, great job as usual keeping us informed. Well done and much appreciated bro.Truthfully, I don’t see how the coaching could not improve because last showed just how poorly a team could be prepared.But its nice to hear this year’s group is doing a better job.GARY C, it’s sad but a fact of like in the NFL. A guy would really have to show incredible skill if he’s not a high pick to get on the field.Look at Tom Brady who was only a 4th rd pick.He might have never gotten his shot had Bledsoe not been knocked out by Mo Lewis?

12. By Eli Rodriguez- Looking for another RB on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, normally I would agree with you that it should be the H.C. decision as to who his QB should be BUT Rex Ryan is the exception. (For reason we all know to well) I would let Rex decide on the defense and a place to eat…but that’s it. If Geno is the future IMHO they should bring him slowly..no need to RUSH.( I will quietly be rooting for McElroy) and what is Cimini saying McElroy uncorked his daily duck today. Give details and not one liner—–

13. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Gary C, Geno Smith is a 2nd round pick with todays rookie salary scale the guy makes nothing in terms of a NFL player. I know alot of you guys are rooting for McElory but the bottom line is this he is having a hard time beating out Chris Simms for the #3 spot.

14. By ronbo on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Eli Rodriguez, Bro, you know I’m not a Rex supporter but my feeling is if your gonna name him the head Coach, ya gotta let him coach! Believe me, i get where your coming from but when you publicly embarrass the coach by contradicting him like Idzk clearly did, I believe it sends the wrong message to fans,the media,and the team.I stand by my comments that this is not the way to run an organization.Quite frankly, its embarrassing.Between this and not canning Goodson I am beginning to loose confidence in our leadership.

15. By Eli Rodriguez- Looking for another RB on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo, I’m with you. We can all agree that prior to selecting a GM, it was rumor would a new GM keep Rex and then it was also rumor that many more qualify GM turn the job down because Rex wasn’t to be touch (for a year i hope). I got the message loud and clear as I know Rex did too. whether it’s embarrassing to the world– you already know what they think of us. As for Goodson doubt he comes back. Yes it normally should be the H.C. call but when have we been a normal franchise.

16. By ronbo on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

ELI RoD, Yeah normal and N.Y.Jets are not two words you would expect to find in the same sentence these days. Like i said, i get where your going and I don’t question your thinking at all. Frankly, it’s Idzike’s thinking I question as one has to wonder what Woody Johnson must be thinking regarding this bizarre situation? Hey, Woody hired the I-man under the stipulation that Rex would be the coach?Or did he? If I were the owner and and my new GM basically ignored my edict that Rex coach the team I would have a problem with that.Again, I’m not a Rex fan as his refusal to take responsibility for the offense just doesn’t work for me. Being a head coach means being in charge of the whole team,not just the defense.