• Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 20, 2014 9:30 PM - 10:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 11:30 PM - 11:59 PM EDT Jets Post Game: Bears at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Inside the Jets

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches
  • Thu., Sep. 25, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan

A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

• Fri., Sep. 26, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM EDT Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup

Kenrick Ellis Is Hard at Work on His Craft

Posted by Randy Lange on July 29, 2013 – 3:08 pm

Updated, 4:42 p.m. ET

For a couple of periods in Sunday’s afternoon practice, Kenrick Ellis looked like the beast that ate Cortland, as the player the Jets envisioned him being when they took a chance on him in the third round in the 2011 draft. No. 93 was knifing past the first-string O-line, making tackles in the backfield and blowing up running plays like an unstoppable defensive tackle should.

“Yesterday Kenrick Ellis decides to totally dominate the 9-on-7 period,” head coach Rex Ryan confirmed at this afternoon’s news conference. “Today we made sure we blocked him, I don’t think there was any doubt about that, whether we were doubling him or whatever it was.”

Ellis noticed that as well. I asked him after this morning’s second padded practice at SUNY Cortland if he could recall a personal highlight from camp so far. He instead chose a lowlight from today’s session.

“You know what? The highlight of my practice was when I got double-teamed and got my butt kicked by 66, Willie [Colon], and 77, Austin [Howard]. And that just showed me I have so much more to work on, man. That’s what stood out to me, not being able to dominate those guys.”

I gently reminded Kenrick that it was in fact a double-team block, their 648 pounds against his 346. Maybe he was being a little hard on himself?

“If you take your craft seriously, double-team or not, you’re still supposed to be able to impose your will,” he said. “They got the best of me.”

That may sound like the Ellis who was fighting to keep his head above water his first two NFL seasons, but I detected just a little smile at the corner of his mouth, a sense that while he’s still talking a nose-to-the-grindstone approach, he knows he’s starting to make those big strides that many want to see.

He gave a little hint of that when he was asked about the Sunday practice.

“It’s a competition,” he said. “We have a bunch of guys on the D-line, so what you do every day is just try to stand out from the rest. You have to come in here with a mentality like ‘I want the job.’ Damon Harrison wants the job. Antonio Garay wants the job. Everybody wants the job. We’re just going to have a healthy competition, compete every day and battle and see who gets it.”

It’s still too early to call the starting D-line, but Ellis, who got that Colon-Howard butt-whooping in line drills, came back in team drills to put a roaring pressure up the middle on Geno Smith, forcing either a hurried incompletion or a sack, depending on who’s scoring.

But one thing is clear no matter who the scorer is. Kenrick is coming on.

Rex Cetera

First-round draft pick Dee Milliner, after agreeing to contract terms Sunday night, spent a good portion of today getting from Alabama to Cortland, N.Y. He is expected to talk with Jets reporters this evening around 7:30 p.m. ET. When he holds that news conference, newyorkjets.com will carry it live.

QB update: Both Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith hit Jeremy Kerley with touchdown passes in 7-on-7 drills today. Sanchez threw a short-zone interception to LB Josh Mauga, who’s had a couple of strong days with the second defense. Smith continues without an interception in 7-on-7 and team drills but also suffered a couple of big pressures that would have been sacks in live action. “Geno’s not throwing picks,” Ryan said, “but we don’t want to be taking sacks. That’s one area he can improve his game, but I’m certainly impressed he hasn’t thrown a pick.”

The kickers were smoking today for the second straight day. Nick Folk was dead-on from 40, 44 and 49 yards, while Billy Cundiff nailed a 53-yarder to end the last two-minute drill of the day, then converted from 42 and 46 in the FG drill to end practice.

Today’s attendance was 970. Tuesday is an off day for the players. Thursday should be a crowd-pleaser as Ryan said he thinks the first live goal-line drills of camp will be held that morning, and goal line will also be a part of Saturday night’s Green & White scrimmage. … Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan were here this morning taping interviews for their SiriusXM NFL Radio show that airs daily from 3-7 p.m. ET.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Kenrick Ellis Is Hard at Work on His Craft”

1. By Chicago Bob on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

If Ellis turns out to be the player the Jets envision, hopefully he will remember the fact they took a chance on him and stood by him with all of his legal issues when contract time comes up when other teams passed. It is nice to see the Jets are starting to take a harder line of approach when it comes to contract negotiations. If Mike T. were still in charge, I am sure Milliner would have been signed prior to today and in camp from the start however God knows how many millions of dollars he would have overspent in the process. You always heard about how much agents like Mike T. – I can see why when you look at how easily their demands were met. Thank God we have a man in charge that truly understands contracts and the salary cap.

2. By wayne on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

You should have heard Philly fans trashing Geno b4 the draft. Well congrats to them, they got Matt Barkley..Hehehehe. It’s already clear the Jets got themselves something from 2nd round of draft……I still hope that Sanchez starts, but he’s getting outclassed already. Can’t avoid Ints….If Jets aren’t looking for QB in next yr’s draft and I suspect they’ll not be, even if they can’t get Clowney, or don’t need him because all that DL talent shows out, they will be in position to trade down and stockpile talent in what is supposed to be very deep and talented draft……As I’ve said before, they may have lucked into a QB finally….Holding onto the ball too long is big hurdle for Smith.

3. By Joe R on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Geno should win this QB battle if he continues to prosper and not throw interceptions. You can recover from sacks, but turning the ball over is giving the opposition free field position, and possibly, easy points… as Mark has shown us through his past 4 seasons. Mark has given away games single – handedly.
    But I don’t want to seem like I’m anointing this guy this so early haha! He obviously still needs to prove himself throughout training camp and preseason. I have high hopes for the kid.

4. By IRA on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

Ellis has looked good but nobody is mentioning Garay who moves better than I thought and should provide excellent depth at the NT spot. This should be Ellis’ year to shine.
    It’s a little early right now but I am starting to get a bit concerned about Ivory. They are being smart to make sure he is completely healthy before they let him practice but I would sure like to see him sooner than later.
    Geno seems to get better and better each day. I thought Mark threw a tight spiral on most of his passes today but its going to be hard to fight off Geno.
    We will all get a better feel once the preseason begins. I really like the safety group a lot.
    GO JETS!!!!

5. By scjoe on Jul 29, 2013 | Reply

I liked the Ellis pick from the beginning, glad it worked out for both him and the team. A few here are already mentioning Jadeveon Clowney as the top over all pick in 2014, living here in SC, I followed his career since high school in Rock Hill, there is no doubt he will be a top 5 pick. But….. It will be interesting ”if” the NYJ are in a position to draft him, the front seven is the strength on this team, ( if there is a strength) 3 consecutive years with a D lineman taken in the 1st round. Do the NYJ make it 4 years in a row? With all the other needs? Plenty of time to think about it.

6. By Roenoe17 on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Ellis is a beast took normal time to develop for D lineman 3 years but this is his years Look out for the Demolition CREW Led By C=Coples R=Richardson E=Ellis W=Wilkerson the D CREW What a name The Demolition CREW

7. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Ira,have you been able to track the progress of Bohannon,Jordan White and Winters during camp,I know it is difficult but has anything caught your eye.

8. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Ellis is looking good, but I have to agree with IRA on GARAY he also looks good and is quick, but everyone is looking good in no contact football, the true tests start with contact and preseason football.

9. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

I was happy when the Jets took Ellis I wanted them to take him & was a little suprised when he fell to the 3rd round. The Jets have said that they thought that he was a 1st round talent & that he only fell to the 3rd round because of off field issues. Between Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson & Ellis we could have a very VERY good D line.

10. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, I know we have had our differences but I wanted to ask you. DO you remember who was posting to take Kenrick Ellis in the 3rd round that year in the draft?

11. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

I said multipel times during the off season that I wanted Geno to sit this year & learn then start next year. But the way the QB competition is going if it stays this way they have to start Geno. 1 Mark is in his 5th camp Geno is in his 1st Mark should be way ahead of him 2 Mark worked with Jeff Garica in the off season on Marty M’s west coast O in the off season while Geno did not even know what team he would be on so again as far as the west coast O Mark should be way ahead of him. From what I read in the 2 local papers everyday either they have them even of they have Geno sligthly ahead. But if they are even to me Geno wins. I have read he has broken off multiple long runs out of the read option. He broke off a long touch down run that

12. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, Jets 1st round picks are usually 3th round picks for any team with a structured ORG, if it were only his off flied antics dropping to him to 3, he didn’t kill someone, He would have went some other team surly better then us with a need for D

13. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

they said was the play of the day 2 days ago, He has had long TD throws to Hill, Kerley, Cumberland & Gates. Jets beat writer Mark Cazzinaro said he has a better arm then Mark & Brain Costello said Geno Smith has that wow factor. Most importantly Geno has not turned the ball over.

14. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Roenoe17, I love the CREW nickname!

15. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Also I forgot to add that Mark played in a college offense at USC & has been hear 4 years. Geno played in a all shotgun offense at West Virginia so to me I did not think he would be ready having to learn his 3, 5 & 7 step drops. again for Mark not to be way ahead of him the nod has to go to Geno.

16. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

I did not want them to start Geno cause of the lack of talent around him I did not want him to get killed like Mark did last year. But now that we have signed Braylon & Winslow I am all for them starting him this year. I know it has only been a week but they have been saying Hill & Gates look good. With Braylon, Kerley, Winslow, Hill, Gates & Cumberland in that order I think the Jets pass catchers are underated & if at some point during the season you add Holmes into that mix. It will be like doing a big mid season trade & getting a good player but not giving up anything for him. I know there is 5 1/2 weeks before our 1st game but unless in the next few weeks Mark really steps up or Geno begins to drop off. I think we need to go Geno!

17. By joeydefiant on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Does anyone remember who predicted that Joe Namath would predict a Superbowl win in 1968 on this blog? I know you remember!

18. By scjoe on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, I know I lobbied for Ellis that year and I do recall you lobbying for him as well. I do not remember anyone else, that is not to say there weren’t others, just that I don’t recall who they were. Now, a question for you, do you remember me lobbying for Lamar Miller (RB UM) in the 2012 draft? Keep a close eye on him this year, he will be the starter in Miami. Also agree Smith should get the start “if” he wins job legit, regardless of who the supporting cast is.

19. By scjoe on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Joeydefiant, sure I remember, it was YOU who predicted that Joe Willie would predict a SB win “on this blog” 1n 1968. Oops……wait a minute, Randy didn’t have a blog here in 1968, nor did anyone else!

20. By ronbo on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

O.K, lets all take a step back and remember, there’s still 5 plus weeks till the season opener. I cant believe all the Canton nominations I’m reading here today? Are you guys serious?Spicer, are you spiking the green kool-aid already? Look, like everyone else here I’m excited to see some guys flashing their potential early on but lets keep it real.We all want Ellis to be a stud and Coples to follow Mo’s example last year by becoming a force.Ditto all the Geno stuff.I get that, but lets see how the pre-season games shake out and mabey then we can begin the “Canton count-downs?

21. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Boy,we have already ordained our starting quarterback already,even before the first preseason game,talk about a rush to judgement,even before going against other teams number ones.We must have the second coming of Randall Cunningham on our team.

22. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

I remember a lot of people loved Phil Taylor in that draft too.

23. By Tom Spicer on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Joeydefiant, Do you remember coming to this blog & making a fool of yourself last season?

24. By IRA on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

GaryC,
    White has missed some time. That’s his problem he was injury prone during college and for now it’s looks like the same with the Jets. Will see I think he can play but he has to stay on the field.
    Bohanon hasn’t caught my eye just yet. I have been focusing on other players. I will try to check him tomorrow.
    Well tomorrow Mark gets reps with the first team and we will see what he can do. I would expect him to have Winslow and Edwards in there.
    I expect Milliner to get some work I just think they will try to work him in slowly.
    I tell you there are a lot of sites to read Jets info on but the Radar is the best. Randy’s work is special and unique and I read stuff on this site that you can’t find anywhere else.

25. By Randy Lange on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Thank you, Ira, for your astute observations.

26. By Jack on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

II’m hoping that DT, Kenrick Ellis get the staring job at NT, like him went Jets drafted him.

27. By danny on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Coples would have went in the 4th rd if NE drafted him too rite Mike Jet Vet ??? Revis in the 3rd rd or 4th if PITT drafted him and Wilkerson in the 3rd rd if Dallas drafted him ??? Hmmmmmm What about David Harris the 6th rd if NE drafted him ?????

28. By SCfromNY on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

So far QB battle going well for Smith. In an amusing way you can see the posters starting to like Smith because they no longer refer to him as Smith but Geno. So far from what has been written he seems to have some class a quality the Jets need to have more of. Perhaps the WR group will not be as bad as we thought. Plus knowing Holmes will probably not be ready I am sure some other team will cut a quality WR during camp that we could pick up.

scjoe: If our DL becomes so formidable that we could pass on Clowney I am sure if he was available to the Jets they could get a bevy of picks for him. look what the Redskins gave up for RGIII.

29. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, I remember you saying we should take Lamar Miller RB Miami. I also remember you were really REALLY mad when we didnt.

30. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo & Gary C, No body is “crowning” anyone some posters (myself included) are just talking about some of the good things Geno did in camp. This is what I said “I know there is 5 1/2 weeks before our 1st game but unless in the next few weeks Mark really steps up or Geno begins to drop off. I think we need to go with Geno!” Really what is wrong with saying that? Also re read what I wrote & tell me what I said to “crown” him if anything the things I said paint Sanchez in a negative light & not “crown” Geno?

31. By ronbo on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

To both the SC boys, if the Jets have a shot at drafting Clowney you can forget any thought of that happening! Unless he is injured he will be the #1 pick in next years draft no question.I suppose if he plays conservatively to protect himself from injury that may scare a few teams off or perhaps Teddy Bridgewater goes crazy and lights up Alabama in next years championship game? But other than one of those scenarios Clowney will be the number one pick. Of course, Jacksonville looks really bad right now and as unsure as I am about us this season, I think they are the lock for the #1 pick.

32. By russ on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Former Jet Kendrick Ellis has this year to stay in NFL ..no excuses.. I say former because now or never is his mantra….

33. By Chicago Bob on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

I don’t think anyone here is expecting something in the likes of 10-6 or 11-5 however I can honestly say it is not going to be the train wreck a lot of people think. When you look at last season, the defense was old and slow and did not have Revis. The offensive game plan was poor and yet last year’s team was still in place to win 3-4 of those games. This year’s defense had picked up some solid players and is much faster and Rex will be more involved. The offense (while still lacking some talent) is going to be better prepared and less predictable than last year. Barring significant injuries if this team can get off to a fairly decent start, there is no reason the Jets cannot win 7-9 games – especially when you look at their last 4 games

34. By scjoe on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

SCfromNY, I agree, especially “if” the NYJ wind up with the #1 over all (which I don’t see happening) but that would be best case scenario, they could come out of the 2014 draft with a franchise QB and a top RB and/or safety for the right to that pick,

35. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE, I feel you are looking to far ahead talking about the 2014 draft. Lets get through this year instead of being concerned about 2014. Lets see what this team does and If REX will be around next year. Don’t get me wrong I am not knocking your post, I just feel this year is what counts.

36. By ronbo on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, keep in mind we are probably looking at at least 12 picks in next years draft. our 7 plus Tampa’s 3 plus 4 comp picks as well.We cannot trade any of the comp picks but the others are all fair game. Obviously its way to early to get into a major draft discussion but it’s certainly a comforting thought that help is on the way. CHICAGO BOB, yeah, I get where you are going but like I said to Spicer, it’s just to early to predict anything at this time.Yeah there is reason for optimism but if we have another scoreless preseason things could get real ugly here and in jet land as a whole.I want to at least see a couple of pre-season games before I order my playoff tickets. But you make some good points bro.

37. By scjoe on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Ron, I know there will be additional picks in the 2014 draft, how many remains to be seen. I know, along with the 3 from TB there will be a couple of compensatory picks, but with the complicated system they use that exact amount has not yet been determined. I know 64 Frank says it is way to early to talk about the 2014 draft, and for all practical purposes it is, then again, we are not very practical around here “all of the time” lol! As for Clowney? As good as he is (and he IS good) where does he fit? He is not a 3-4 DE, he “may be” a great 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. His natural position.

38. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

SCJOE, I like the way you put it (we are not very practical around here “all of the time” lol!), very true, I agree with you ob Clowney he is great in a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. His natural positions .and it makes more sense that he would and should play these positions. As for RR’s latest statement ‘THE WILDCAT IS HERE TO STAY) I hope someone steps on that statement real quick. As far as I am concerned the JETS are ‘NOT” a wildcat team and “IF” Ivory and hopefully Goodson can live up to the RB’s that they are (if Goodson comes back) we will not need the so called un-impressive wild cat… Lets play football without all the drama…

39. By ronbo on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

S.C.Joe, you know me and basically to me its never too early to talk about the NFL draft as that’s basically a second job to me.(yeah, I know,get a life! I get that a lot.)
    From what I’ve seen, and that’s almost every game he’s played Clowney is the kind of player a smart coach basically plans his schemes around. If Rex were to come back next year(in spite of his claims he’s a goner if the Jets are drafting Clowner) I’m 100% certain he would figure out a way to get Clowney on the field.Like you I’m not sure how many comp picks we will wind up with next year but pro football weekly predicted a couple month ago the number would be between 4 or possibly 5. hey, even if its only 3 those picks come immediatly after the 2nd rd. Not bad bro.

40. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

RONBO my friend I will talk the draft with you after the 8th game (lol). This statement of RR’s the “WILD CAT IS HERE TO STAY”. iDZIK please put an end to that statement. An lets forget the wild cat and concentrate on a running game. With good players coming out of the backfield who can make yards on the ground and in the air, this would compliment the air attack. Haven’t heard much on the TE’s or a kid that I like in Bohanan. Randy any word on this kid?

41. By Randy Lange on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

Frank, Charlie Frankel, our reporter, is working up a piece on Lex Hilliard and Tommy Bohanon fighting for the FB spot that will go live Friday during the day.

42. By SCfromNY on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

I stand by my thought that I would rather trade Clowney for around 5 picks. I am still waiting for the next LT (The Real One) to appear. I remember Parcells putting him in his place the first day on the 3rd team, next day on the 2nd, and next day the 1rst. JJ Watt comes close but teams had to plan around LT and QBs feared him. Unless experts think Clowney would be that good I want 5 draft picks.

With no cap issue and over a dozen draft picks next year the Jets can field a team that will perform well for years. Maybe the Jets will surprise me this year, it would be nice. I am stocking up on Tums and Pepto in case it doesn’t happen because lately when they lose they lose stupid.

43. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

Randy, thank you I am looking forward Charlie’s report. I know both Bohanon and Hilliard are great competitors I really appreciate the info…