• Sat., Nov. 01, 2014 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:50 AM EST Live Jets Talk LIVE: Pregame Get your most compreshensive game preview as Jets Insiders Eric Allen and Amanda Pflugrad are joined by Herbie Teope of Chiefs Digest in Kansas City. JTL kicks off at 11:30 a.m. from Arrowhead Stadium.
  • Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 03, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Inside the Jets

• Tue., Nov. 04, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Wed., Nov. 05, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Extra Point – Only on SNY

• Thu., Nov. 06, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Fri., Nov. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EST Jets Game Plan – Only on SNY

• Mon., Nov. 10, 2014 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM EST Jets Open Mic – Only on SNY

Greg McElroy’s Making the Most of His Reps

Posted by Randy Lange on July 30, 2013 – 4:31 pm

Geno Smith has gotten headlines the last few days for his still interception-less training camp during 7-on-7 and team drills. But what about Greg McElroy? He hasn’t thrown a pick, either.

That’s not to say that McElroy’s time at SUNY Cortland has been perfect, but the experience has still been good.

“There are, like, two throws that I’d really like to have back. One was an inaccurate throw and the other was a throw that just got away from me a little,” the redheaded third-year Jets signalcaller recalled. “I’d like to think I’m a bit of a perfectionist. If there’s one play, until I get it right and get an opportunity to do it again, I’m going to remember that play, remember what I did wrong and how I can improve it in the future.

“There’s certainly a lot of things to improve on, but I’m pleased with the way the first few days of camp have gone.”

Most reporters and many fans are consumed with how the starting quarterback battle between Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith is going. But more than a few Jets followers also would like to hear from McElroy, so I tracked him down before lunch today to see how he’s faring and where his head’s at.

And one thing that came through clearly from G-Mac, the kid from Southlake, Texas, who quarterbacked a national title team in high school and another one even more famously at Alabama, is that he’s not consumed by the fact that head coach Rex Ryan and the Jets’ offensive coaches have not included him in a three-way camp battle for No. 1.

“My goal this camp is to improve on one individual aspect every single practice, and that’s all I focus on,” he said. “I’m pleased to be out there, and I’m just glad to be given reps and I try to make the most of that.

“Another one of my goals is to try to help Mark, Geno and Matt [Simms] any way I possibly can. That’s been what I’ve done over the last few years, try to help out the other guys around me and try to make them better. And that doesn’t just stop at quarterback. That goes to every position. I try to know as much about the offense as possible so if there is a situation where someone needs help, I would love to be able to assist them in any way possible.”

All the while, he’s continuing to pick up the nuances of coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s West Coast scheme. You hear about QBs having to learn two systems in two years or three in three, but counting his senior year at Alabama he’s had four different coordinators in four years, plus three other coordinators in his first three seasons with the Crimson Tide.

“I wouldn’t say I’m used to it but I’ve experienced it before. It’s a great challenge,” McElroy said of learning a new system, adding, “It’s been a treat learning the West Coast system. It’s a system you’ve grown up watching, a system you feel like you knew a lot about — until you actually get your hands on the playbook. Then it’s quite different than what you expected.”

Mac said he appreciates the attention to detail that Mornhinweg, RBs coach Anthony Lynn and OL coach Mike Devlin pay to the running game.

“So much of the time you hear about the West Coast being passpasspasspasspass, but Coach Mornhinweg’s done such a great job of going through our run installs. It’s really been a point of emphasis for us,” he said. “Marty’s a terrific offensive mind. He’s been in this league a long time and every player on that field has a tremendous amount of respect for him. He’s done a great job.”

McElroy will continue trying to do a great job in his role, whether it’s pushing Sanchez and Smith for a few reps with the ones or fighting off Simms for the No. 3 job. His attitude would probably help make him a good pastor or teacher or coach. But right now he’s got another job to do.

“I get to wake up and put on pads and I get to go out and practice football and learn and discuss football and play the game I was playing at 5 years old in my front yard,” he said. “This is still a dream come true. I have an opportunity to play for this organization, to play for Rex, and I appreciate every second that I’m out here and I won’t ever take it for granted. Whatever my role may be, I want to do it the best I possibly can.”

Tags: , , , , ,

42 Responses to “Greg McElroy’s Making the Most of His Reps”

1. By scjoe on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

It is very difficult to make any determination on Greg McElroy, the body of work is just not there. In all honesty, under the circumstances, I don’t think it ever will be. We can throw out the national titles in high school and in college as well, they mean very little in the grand scheme of things. IMO, the only way G Mac gets shot is with injuries to all above him on the depth chart. Sad, but true.

2. By Dr. Frank on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

I still think that G-Mac should have been given a chance to be in the derby for the starting QB position. I think he is a very smart guy and will learn the offense better than Geno or Sanchez. I know his arm is not the strongest, but that is not needed in the WCO. Chad Pennington’s arm wasn’t that strong either, but I bet every one of you out there would love to have a healthy Chad rather than what we have right now….

3. By morstar150 on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

I like this kid better than Simms. He has shown that he can be a winner and you’ve got to love the attitude.

4. By Eli Rodriguez- Looking for another RB on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Mr. Lange, I would like to thank you for taking the time and informing us on G-MAC progress. Mr. Lange, I hope Spicer won’t be to angry with you for this article. LOL!

5. By GaryC on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Jets would be making a big mistake letting this guy go,Team player,what a novel idea in this day and age, a non sulker when things don’t go his way,given half the chance would be able to battle for the starting position,a champion throughout his athletic career.Maybe a coaching position is in his future.

6. By SCfromNY on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Thank you Randy!! I know McElroy is an afterthought and Simms is probably not going to be there but it is nice to hear how he is doing.

Let’s face it if Geno is a bust we are again quarterback less. If I was a GM and coach Sanchez would have proved that regressing is his middle name. I don’t know about Geno but McElroy seems like a class guy. Sanchez is a sulking loser. I will vomit if I hear one more post game presser that he says, “I have to improve. I can’t make the same mistakes.” The ship has sailed. I will be happy for him as a backup like David Carr. I wish him no ill will. I just don’t want to see him in a Jets uniform.

Again, Randy THANKS!! I have been asking for a while.

7. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 1964 on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Glad to see Mac is getting in some reps, he more then deserves it…

8. By John on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

The love i see in Rex Ryan’s eyes for mark Sanchez is unbelievable, there’s no way geno smith has a chance in hell but for Ryan. I played sports and the players no who the coaches favorite is. I hope someone else has a say, if not hope you like Sanchez fer another year, sad. By the way, I’m a season ticket holder and my patience is runn thin. If geno is any where close in the completion, you got ta go with him. Jets season is 8-8 no matter how ya swing it. Move on. Hope iDisk shows me a little something an address the matter. Otherwise we’re done.

9. By kw65fan on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

About time we here about Mac. thanks Randy. Just a darn shame he is not getting the look that he should be getting considering the so-called open competition. I hope he goes on to another team and gets the chance he rightfully should get and prove all the naysayers wrong. Sanchez is going to be gone at end of season when there is no more guarantee money due to him so why even bother now. How he would even turn over a new leaf is def not going to happen with all his baggage and immaturity. Been such a total waste last couple of years relying on Mr. Butt-Fumble and now dancing. total disgrace to the organization.

10. By Poor Blinka on Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

Quite an poor job by Sanchez if a rookie looks better than him in camp.

11. By AZ JET Fan on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Go G-Mac

12. By Gus on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

This time next year, He’ll be our #2 QB. I like G’Mac and am impressed by his progress and demeanour.

13. By SCfromNY on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Even as a fan of McElroys I understand how little time is given to the 3rd QB especially a late round choice. Out of curiosity and please I am NOT making a comparison, why did the Pats keep 6th round pick Brady around?

Many of the New Yorkers remember the first Cuomo when the chant was “ABC” (Anyone But Cuomo). Well we need ABS, not abs, but Anyone Butt Sanchez. Spelling on BUTT deliberate.

14. By Frank on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Yawn……Who cares about any of this until they actually play some one. I am amazed that with the RB position in an absolute mess right now that NO ONE is talking about it. Idzik’s two big prized signings aren’t any where to be found. This is a MAJOR problem! Who cares who the QB is if we don’t have someone who can carry the rock! This organization since Parcells showed up has always empasized having a stud RB on the roster Idzik threw that out the window with his questionable signings this off season and they are both coming back to hurt this team.

15. By wayne on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

State my opin on McElroy. Don’t see why team wouldn’t give him shot, considering his pedigree, if he showed something. Obviously he has leadership skills and know how. Means nothing without enough arm, enough legs and enough size and enough strength. He’s not even proven that he can make thru two consecutive NFL games. Not sure he’s good enough to be a #2. Not saying that to be mean. I seriously don’t believe so………………….I WANT Mark Sanchez to start this year. It’s in the best long term interest of the Jets….Rex wants him to start because he sees it as his best oppty to win now…Sounds like Rex is being boxed in. Interesting….Respected Chad. Wanted him gone.

16. By wayne on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Who cares about the QB position? The New York Football Jets have had a problem finding or developing one!…… NFL.. QB league. You don’t have one, you ain’t winning nothing. Finding one is the equivalent of the holy grail for this team. It’s no newsflash that the Jets offense is a mess. Not just to the RB position. Unless I’m mistaken and they’ve already solved the problems at WR and QB…..It’s all a mess, that’s why I’ve made the prediction no one wants to hear here……The Jets are far more likely to find help at RB before pre season ends, than finding WRs or A QUARTERBACK!!!!

17. By ronbo on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Sadly, S.C.Joe & Wayne are tied for the “posts of the Day”,so far. Sad because they are not “happy face” posts but even sadder because they are spot on true!
    Mac has absolutely zero,nada,zilch shot as again, 7th rd picks have got to turn into superman to get such a shot.And Wayne is right because as much as many of here like Mac, he simply does not have the size,speed or arm strength to be a starter in today’s NFL. Oh, and Frank also makes his usual excellent point about the running game as well. Hate to be a “Debbie Downer”, but if Ivory cant get and stay on the field this team is in trouble.Forget Goodson as its beginning to look like his ship has sailed out of town.Powell is a nice back-up and Griffin needs to be give a good look to see.

18. By russ on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

This would make a nice Halllmark story but reality is much different…

19. By IRA on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

I was wrong about Simms being the 3rd QB. He throws a pretty ball but can’t read defenses. McElroy will be the 3. He made some good throws today.
    Sorry to see Ivory leave practice. Boy oh boy they need him to get healthy otherwise they will be in the market for a RB very soon.
    Another good day for Hill.

20. By ronbo on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

IRA, too bad we couln’t combine the talents of Mac and Simms as with Mac’s knowledge and brains and Simms size ,athletic ability and rocket arm we would really have somthing special.Again, more “if’s”! Oh wel…

21. By Patty on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

I don’t think they’ve given McElroy the opportunity to produce. It was given to Sanchez. I think McElroy is as smart and efficient manager of the offense as any other Jets QB. He’s also a winner and a leader who doesn’t make mistakes, kind of a Dan Marino type QB

22. By Patty on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

PS.
    He was sacked eleven times without one butt fumble. I wish they would protect the QB

23. By kenny on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

WE ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!!

24. By Mike Jet Vet on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

cont. I hate to be negative, sorry to all my compatriots here, I pray I’m wrong.. but the hand writing is on the wall, Idzik in my opinion is the Sanchez of general managers, for all you wait and see, next year, rebuilding, Fans, will be losing patience and faith as I have,, comments like he using stop gap players to fill roster spots Really! , is totally ridiculous , I would like to hear one really good move he’s made besides getting rid of Revis,J-M is still here Wilson is still here Vlad is still here ad in the so called stop gap players and it’s another recipe for disaster,

25. By scjoe on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Ron, it is looking more and more like the NYJ will be watching the waiver wire very closely during pre season (for a starting RB) That mistake last year of not selecting Lamar Miller (RB UM) in the 2nd or 3rd round is looming larger and larger. The RB spot going in to the regular season could turn out even more critical then the QB spot. Speaking of the QB spot, THAT is looking more and more like the starter will start by default, no matter who it turns out to be.

26. By ronbo on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

MJV, calm down bro, all is not lost. I certainly understand your frustration and disenchantment with the front office asIi don’t agree with a lot of Idzik’s moves to date either.On the other hand, the “stop gap” signings to me are a clear indication that the people who run this team are convinced they simply didn’t have the pieces in place to compete this season nor the cap room or extra draft picks to immediately improve the team.By letting older vets who were either coming off injuries or who under preformed last year we accumulated extra picks for next year plus avoided resigning guys they apparently felt were not pieces of the final puzzle. Right or wrong, Idzik showed there is a plan vs the color by #’s strategy Tanney seemed to use?

27. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

SO now it’s Ivory, Goodson, Garrard, like I said early and often, efficient physicals Total back round checks for players signed on teams especially NFL teams is GM one O one, Idzik missed the boat by 75% so far, where is the outrage from long time fans? I don’t get it, . but lets get rid of our best players best coaches and claim all is on track,

28. By Brokerbry2000 on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

I know G-Mac personally and he has a lot of attributes that Sanchez and Smith dont have combined. You dont win a National Championship in high school and you dont win a National Championship in college without have talent. It takes a lot of luck to be in a system that works well (ala, Tom Brady) and it takes a lot of luck to have good players around you. No one ever gave Kurt Warner or Jake Delhomme much of a chance but in the end both ended up in the Super Bowl. G-Mac would be better served learning under a mentor like Peyton Manning than with the Jets. After all, what does Sanchez have to offer?

29. By SCfromNY on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

MJV: With the exception of Revis what best players did we get rid of? The old not so good players that were let go cost the team more money. Stop gap players because the cap space just was not there. So transition players that don’t cost much with short contracts are much better than overpaying old, slow, loudmouths like Scott. Next year we will have lot’s of room and over 12 draft picks. As for injuries, look around the league at all the elite players going down. It happens every year and it is easier to replace a marginal player than have Seattle’s problems.

30. By Dr. Frank on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

I agree with you, Brokerbry, although I don’t want to lose him to the Broncos! He has a few flaws, but I think his smarts and experience would get him wins in the NFL. Look, they leapfrogged to start him ahead of Tebow last year. That must account for something! He is taking the “high road” and I hope it serves him well in the league.

31. By Ed V. on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

I don’t understand why he isn’t considered in a three way race, at least at the start of training camp. The only reason Sanchez is on the team is his contract. The best performer should win the job regardless of their draft position or contract. I would like someone to directly ask why McElroy was excluded from competition even before training camp started. I can’t even stomach seeing Sanchez anymore plus he needs to get rid of that ridiculous hair band.

32. By Samson on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

Gmac’s a good kid but he is just not an NFL Starter. he can be a viable backup and after the Jets cut Sanchez after this season he will be the number 2 guy. He’s a Pat Leahy or Glenn Foley type of guy.

33. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Samson, Exactly its just plain crazy with all this McElroy stuff some of these guys post on this site.

34. By Brokerbry2000 on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Here is a prediction: After 10 games played this upcoming season both Sachez and Smith willl both have washed out. If Smith were any good he would have been selected earlier in the draft…..however, the organization will bench Sanchez and stick with Smith because of his “potential”. They will give him an opportunity. Just wish the organization would give G-Mac the same opportunity and let him start and complete 5-7 games.

35. By ELI RODRIGUEZ--lets try spadola with 1st defense on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

SPICER: How quickly we forget–When not to long ago, you were trying to make us believe Mark Sanchez walked on water and was the next best thing since a bagel. The thing is many of us just see something special in G-MAC, like you do in Mark Sanchez. I never heard anyone imply you were crazy for following Sanchez yet you think we are for supporting G-MAC! What give!

36. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Eli, I am not going to say anything about G Mac anymore he is the next Joe Montana

37. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Eli, Also lets not recreate history I never said Mark walked on water. I said repeatedly after time he will get better. You know what he never did I was wrong. But the difference between me & 95% of the posters on this site is this when I am wrong about something I man up admit it & move on. While most of the others refuse to admit they are wrong about things that they are wrong about, lie about it or go away for a while & hope that everyone forgets about it.

38. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Brokerbry2000, After 10 NFL games Smith is going to be “washed out”? Just be man enough to show up & admit that you are wrong after those 10 games ok?

39. By ELI RODRIGUEZ--lets try spadola against1st defense on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Spicer: I was speaking metaphorically and I haven’t been wrong on Rex and M.S. yet. How can you speak about the other 95% without hard prove. I told you once we all bring different things to the table, like I would’ve prefer Eddie Lacy RB over G.S. and waited until next year for a QB. I hate the idea of seeing M.S. out there again and I’m afraid G.S. has no idea what awaits him. But before I kick G-MAC TO CURB, I want to give him more than one game and if he can’t cut it, I’ll get on his case too—-trust me on that.

40. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

ELI, I was not talking about you.

41. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Aug 13, 2013 | Reply

The draft pick that is going to come back and haunt the NYJETS when he plays against us is MANUEL of the Buffalo Bills. Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez can not shine this kids shoes.

42. By JohnBravo on Aug 19, 2013 | Reply

Steve Young was a back up to Joe Montana for five years after going 3-16 as a starter in Tampa Bay. He was a very capable and talented college QB and was able to wait for the opportunity to shine.

Greg McElroy is an intelligent, capable & talented QB. While certainly not in the same situation as Young was, he has an opportunity to learn from a pretty darn good OC. If he does get a chance at NY then he’ll be ready to do the job and do it well. Is he going to be all-pro & win a Superbowl or two? I wouldn’t even begin to dream that.

Sanchez is a bust. Simple as that. Smith is a rookie, he’s going to make rookie mistakes. If he will listen to the coaches, and also listen to GMAC (dude is THE smartest player on the roster) he’ll be ok.